Speaker 1: The volume.
Speaker 2: Palisades Forever is a community driven initiative led by lifelong residents to help the area recover and rebuild after the devastation of the California wildfires. Palisades Forever focuses on restoring the spaces that matter most of the community, schools, landmarks, businesses, and recreational areas, bringing life back to the heart of the Palisades. One hundred percent of the proceeds go directly to already established local charities and organizations working on long term beautification and restoration efforts in the Palisades. Visit Palisades Forever dot com to donate or purchase merchandise. Today well, and what has to be considered a shocker, A ten point underdog Washington with a rookie quarterback goes into Detroit and hammers the number one seated Detroit Lions. Let's just cut to the chase. Jayden Daniels is easily the best rookie quarterback in the history of the National Football League. I remember John Elway barely. I think he played ten or eleven games. He had twice as many interceptions as touchdowns, losing record. I think they were like four and six or four and seven. Vaguely remember it. Andrew Luck, you got some real upside. I thought Andrew Luck was the best rookie quarterback I'd ever seen. Eleven and five of a really weak roster. But you got mistakes. You got mistakes with Andrew Luck. I mean until the very end, he was somebody that he'd take big swings and throw the ball into traffic. Mahomes didn't have to play as a rookie until the last week, and he had an excellent roster or a very good roster. Lamar Jackson didn't play until week eleven. It was Baltimore's roster. This is a average roster, one really elite weapon. Austin Eckler's a nice fine but this is not an elite roster. And Washington's in the NFC Championship. Now next week, Philadelphia defense, Rams defense, whichever they face, much much better due to injuries, all this stuff. You guys know, Detroit's thought a very good defense. This is why I stayed away in my Blazing four this week. I stayed away from this game. And it was just Jaden Daniels. I thought, even if Washington was outplayed, they backdoor cover. I mean, in the first half eight, Play Drive, ten, Play Drive, eleven, Play Drive. You're like, WHOA what am I watching? I've just never seen anything like this. His poise is unprecedented. I'm serious on this. C J. Stroud was excellent as a rookie, but this kid's ability to he's like Lamar Jackson. He's a little bit of a running back. He's not quite as dynamic as Lamar the runner, but he is so twitchy and so quick. His instincts on running plays are in sane. He's patient but can dart in and out of traffic. He can be simultaneously sudden and patient. Some guys are just and he's got that Patrick Mahomes thing where some guys are just operating above the shoulders. It's just they're unnatural. And you can coach up all players, but you're not gonna take a B minus athlete to an A plus athlete. There's always been this belief in sports, basketball, football, baseball. You can't jump a full grade on coaching coaching to dig B plus to B B minus to B plus, but it's hard to jump a grade. A B athlete will never be an A to an A plus player. Some of this is just and I remember watching him when he was Arizona State freshman. He was so skinny, and then I remember watching him at LSU and thinking, man, it just looks so easy. That's the same thing I felt when I watched Michael Jordan. I can remember watching Michael Jordan years and years and years ago play the Phoenix Suns in the NBA Championship, and I said, there's a you know, how many guys in this league are six to six stronger than Michael. I mean, he had big hands, Kawhi Leonard size hands. He could palm the ball and do some stuff. But I'm like, there's a lot of six six guys with a good mid range game. Jordan made it look so easy. You know, he dropped twenty nine in a playoff game, and it was like, you know, he'd have two little surges, but the games was so easy. I mean, Jade and Daniels, I've never seen anything like it. As far as Detroit, they got too cute at the end. This is what I said about Ben Johnson all year. He would flex and again, it's easy to flex against the Bears. But when you're trailing in a big game, goff has already been you.
Speaker 1: Know, fuzzy.
Speaker 2: You just had a big play to Patrick before that. Just get down the field and score. Don't get don't get tricky. You were moving the ball and that's why I said, all I like Ben Johnson, but you know, these big standalone Lions games, I feel like he's flexing a little bit and it came back to burn him. Though I didn't think they were winning this game anyway. I have reams of notes from this and they all look the same. I mean, got in the first half Jade and Daniels fourteen to twenty one, two hundred and forty two yards and two tds and thirty six yards rushing or thirty yards rushing the first half on the road. Wow, it to just it's for the record. The NFC North, which looked like the best division in football, zero and three in the playoffs, Packers loose. They unraveled at the end. Darnold unraveled at the end. Lions unraveled at the end. So you know, regular season and playoff football two different things. You know. It was also Lions had a minus four turnover margin. Now I'm doing this right before the game ends, so if there's a turnover late, I'm not seeing it, but they were just I just fought Detroit was off the entire game. Golf sailed a couple balls early. Yes, he got hammered, cheap shot, not called, went to the tent.
Speaker 1: He was off.
Speaker 2: I thought, I just I felt dan Quinn. Cliff Kingsbury came in. Cliff Kingsbury is such a good coordinator. He's just so clever. And I talked about this Friday on TV and radio. Some guys are just great twos. To be a to be a number one, sometimes you got to have about ten percent jerk. Kingsbury didn't have that in him. You know, sometimes you have to make tough calls. You got to fire coaches. You like, you're basically coaching coaches. You don't want to be too close to the players. And Kingsbury's kind of like a player and an extension of the players. And in Arizona and in college at Texas Tech, Steve Kaime loved him, hired him, considers him a friend. And he said, listen, it's it's he's such a nice guy, such a smart guy that you know, head coaching sometimes you got to be rough and and it's not really a criticism, you know, it's just Cliff Kingsbury is a tremendous, tremendous offensive designer, play caller, and he put on a clinic tonight. I feel bad for Detroit. I really thought a Detroit Buffalo super Bowl had a real shot. I'm taking the Bills to get to the Super Bowl and win the Super Bowl. They're underdogs at home tomorrow against Baltimore. So it it's crazy that you watch football during the regular season. I mean in September and October. If you go back to those Lions games, they were crushing people. It was like collegiate They were just hammering teams and then they just slowly started to fall apart. And that coaching staff did a great job to keep the energy and the spirit up. But you get to playoff football and you're getting the best coaches, the best coordinators, the best quarterbacks, and everything changes. There's real pressure. Lions don't face real pressure. In a week eleven, here we are at home off of buy you know, I mean Kansas City. The Chiefs did not have a good first half off a bye with Andy Reid. The Lions didn't play well off a bye. I think, for some reason in football, it just doesn't work. I just don't think it's a huge advantage. You get into a certain rhythm, you know, it's like a baseball playoff. You play every day, and then all of a sudden, now you're in October and it gets chilly and you're not playing in baseball. You play in summer weather, and you play, you know, five out.
Speaker 1: Of six nights. Then sometimes you get into the playoffs, the weather gets cold.
Speaker 2: It's kind of football weather, and you're taking these having these gaps, and some players and teams just don't respond to it as well. So I think the buyers didn't do Detroit any favors. But listen, man, the way Jayden Daniels is playing. I mean my notes I take just to show you during these games, I just take notes and I'm just writing down stuff. And so when I come in here, you know, all gaze. There was a couple There was a clever flex in the third quarter by the Lions and the double shuttle. That was a moment right though. Okay, they're getting some momentum, but they could never make stops. And Washington was the team going forward on fourth down, not Detroit. And I mean, I don't know if Dan Quinn you know, I'm sure teams are looking at dan Quinn and they're saying, man, he's gutsy going forward on fourth and two. I don't really think he is. I just think if you have Jaden Daniels on fourth and two, I mean dan Quinn fell in love with this guy in camp. He and Cliff Kingsbury in camp just kept pouring out compliments.
Speaker 1: We've talked about this and it was weird.
Speaker 2: It's like, he's a rookie, what are you doing. It's like, bring the expectations down. Dan Quinn couldn't help himself. He's like, this kid's unbelievable. You can't you can't believe this. Zach Ertz on my show last week Washington Commanders, he had a touchdown Commander's tight end. He's like, you're just watching this guy in camp and you're like, what am I watching? This kid is all time and it's so great. The NFL is so much fun. Football in general is so much fun when quarterback play is good. And over the last several years we've gotten you know, a Joe Burrow, of Patrick Mahomes, a Lamar, a Jaden Daniel.
Speaker 1: It's just great.
Speaker 2: You're getting a historically talented kid and I am just struck by his demeanor. You know, I've said this all the time. There isn't there. Most great quarterbacks are really adults. You can hear during the broadcast with Brady, He's often talking about, you know, oh, I.
Speaker 1: Hate to see that.
Speaker 2: This is a big play, You've got to be buttoned up. So much of it is just maturity, intelligence, awareness, and there's just Jaden is just sitting there and it's like the game is already slowed down. Patrick Mahomes acknowledged. Patrick Mahomes said that the game slowed down to him his third year, and that's generally what the great quarterbacks say. Everything slows down.
Speaker 1: It's slow. Now for Jaden Daniels.
Speaker 2: You can see, how about in the fourth quarter when Detroit brings a pressure package and he is going to get smoked and his third receiver no, nope, boom a seed and gets popped. That's just not normal for rookie quarterbacks. That's just not the way it is.
Speaker 1: So God, I.
Speaker 2: Feel so bad. I have family. My wife's from Birmingham, Michigan, and her family and I got him tickets this year to a Lion's game, and they were so grateful, and they're such wonderful people.
Speaker 1: And this is just a gut punch. My friend Doug Miro, who is on a project I'm working with right now, a writing project for a TV show.
Speaker 2: Oh oh, I can't even text him. I feel so bad for him. This is a rough one. You know, it's different. Buffalo has been disappointed for years, but there's been a lot of really good Buffalo teams through the years, I mean years, and the Marv Levy team year after year, Jim Kelly in this Buffalo run Detroit, you know, horrible forever and then back to back years you're like, oh boy, they're close, and you watch them tonight and they're gonna lose Aaron Glenn.
Speaker 1: I think Aaron Glenn, I'm gonna just throw this out there.
Speaker 2: I think he's got a real shot to get I think he has a chance to get the Cowboys job.
Speaker 1: I really do. He's really respected.
Speaker 2: And Ben Johnson's gonna get one of these jobs. Keep your eye on the Raiders' job. So this Detroit team, this this remember, Nick Sirianni gets to a Super Bowl, loses coordinators, hires two more.
Speaker 1: And they don't look good.
Speaker 2: So Dan Campbell's not a scheme genius, right, Like Andy Reid can lose coordinators. McVeigh loses coordinators, Shanahan loses coordinators. Those are scheme guys, They're fine. There are coaches. Nick Sirianni is one loses coordinators and replaces them with inferior coordinators, and it gets ugly fast. So Dan Campbell's not not really a scheme whiz. So he's gonna lose both of this coordinators. And this could have been the year, This could have been it. I want to read you a couple of stats on Jayden Daniels. He's the best rookie of all time at quarterback. That's unprecedented. First ever top three pick to make a conference championship in the rookie season, first rookie quarterback to win multiple World Playoff games when his defense gives up twenty plus points in each game. Twelve regular season wins, historically great in the fourth quarter. I mean, what more you need to say? Yeah, that's not the same. Detroit's gonna be going to the tank. But like Philadelphia, a very good roster had the right coordinators for a coach we kind of wonder about, you know, Sirianni's built up a good culture same with Dan Campbell. Not scheme guys. Then they lose great coordinators and they take a dip. So fortunately Philly and Detroit had such dominating offensive lines and some you know, some really really high end players on the defensive and offensive lines. You know they're not going to go turn into a five win team. But Green Bay is getting better, Minnesota, JJ McCarthy, Chicago should get a better coach. NFC is getting better. So I could see the Lions losing both coordinators dipping a little bit. The O line and their running backs and golf will keep them very very good. Great though I thought this. I thought this team was great until they got banged up, and now the season's over. NFL is cruel. How would you like to be Jerry Jones and in the next ten years faced Jaden Daniels twenty times minimum. We thought the Cowboys were going to regress when the season started. Now look at what they have to face. You think the New York Giants are wobbly, Try twenty times against Jayden Daniels in the next decade.
Speaker 1: No, thank you.
Speaker 2: A closing thought. It's official. Only one team hasn't made the NFC Championshi Game since twenty ten. How about them Dallas Cowboys yep, nineteen ninety five. Last time they made it good luck against Jaden Daniels. NFL playoffs. We're talking about NFL playoffs. You bet we are. Get in on the action at DraftKings Sportsbook, an official sports betting partner of the NFL. Scoring touchdowns is a key to winning in the NFL playoffs, and the key tou scoring big is betting on them. At DraftKings, the number one place to bet touchdowns. If you're ready to place your first bet, make it really simple. A player scoring a touchdown, go to DraftKings sports Books app, download it, make your pick. Here's another reason to watch your favorite players crush it on the playoffs. If you're a new customer, you bet five bucks. That's it, five bucks, get two hundred in bonus bets instantly by betting just five bucks, so score big. Draftking sports Book during the playoffs. Download the app. Use the code colin cli n that will get you two hundred bucks in bonus bet So if you want two hundred dollars in bonus bets, you got to put in the code colin only on Draft King Sportsbook.
Speaker 3: The crown is yours gambling problem called one eight hundred gambler in New York called eight seven seven eight ope and why, or text hope and why four six seven three six nine. In Connecticut. Help is available for a problem gambling called eight eight eight seven eight nine seven seven seven seven, or visits CCPG dot org. Please play responsibly on behalf of Boothill Casino when resorting Kansas twenty one on over agent eligibility varies by jurisdiction Voyden, Ontario Bonus bets ekspire one hundred and sixty eight hours after issuins. Four additional terms and responsible gaming resources see DKNG dot co slash audio.
Speaker 2: All Right, Instant Reaction twenty three fourteen. Safety at the end, Kansas City prevails. They will now go to their seventh straight AFC Championship game. There was Babe Ruth and Gerig Jordan and Pippin and Mahomes and Kelsey seven catches one hundred and seventeen yards in a touchdown. I never thought I'd see anything better than Gronk and Brady, which were better than Winslow and Fouts. But it's pretty remarkable. I'm looking at this, think about this. Kelseed today had the most yards he's had all season defrosted for the playoffs. He has the most one hundred receiving yard games in playoff history, seventy plus receiving yards in fourteen straight playoff games. Second longest streak is seven. So I never thought I'd see anything better than Winslow and Shannon Sharp was damn good. So was Tony Gonzalez. Then there was Brady and Gronk. This is better and this is just the classic example of these seasons. As the NFL keeps extending the season and asking more of their players, the great players know when to pick their spots, so much is done. Like Texan fans are complaining about the refs. The difference is when you go on the road in the playoffs, eos get host win more regular season games, and get home field playoff advantage. The Texans were in a worst of it win more games. I mean, the Chiefs weren't a better division. Chargers made the playoffs, Broncos made the playoffs. I mean in the Texans division. The Jags were a tire fire, Colts were a mess, so you know, win more games in your division. Tennessee was a mess. So that's the advantage of playing at home. In my entire life, you know, it could be any sport. You'll get a call at home or two. But Andy Reid now was eleven to zero when he leads it half. And even though the Texans had a great final drive at the end of the first half and got the kickoff in the second half, the big takeaway for me today in this game was the Texans had no real answer when Spags blitz and when the Texans put pressure with the nextra man on Mahomes, they seemed to always have an answer, and that is the difference. Fans are going to complain about officials, and there were two lousy calls against Houston. I'm overly protective of Mahomes, yes, but this is sort of the This is sort of the NFL now.
Speaker 1: The calls that.
Speaker 2: Drive us nuts are almost always a hit on a quarterback shouldn't be called. And it is like that's I'm kind of used to about one a game. You'd hope with the best officiating crewise you wouldn't get any of the playoff games. It may be the opposite, because you're dealing with bigger star quarterbacks and they don't want them hurt. So I've just I'm baking that in. Even though I thought both calls were weak, I'm just baking that in. Once a game, twice a game, you're gonna see one of the quarterbacks both get that call.
Speaker 1: You are you're going to get that call.
Speaker 2: I don't like it, but I think the big difference is it's easy to complain about officiating, but so much is done in the NFL. Andy Reid with extra time, shocking he won Kansas City. I've been calling them the Packers of the AFC. They feel a year away. Six seven more players, add more depth. Could they have won if they had Tank doll and Stefan Diggs certainly would have helped. Although Nico Collins is amazing and Joe Micky and I've thought is one of the more underrated backs in the league in the last five six years. I just I think when you look at it, Kansas City keeps winning these games, and it's not a coincidence. That's why people always talk about luck. Kansas City is the Patriots. They're just more of an offensive version and it always felt like New England was more of a defensive version. When New England had their best offense with Randy Moss, they didn't win titles. But I think what's also happening. Once you started paying Brady a little more, you're not going to have as dynamic an offense. And once you start paying Mahomes more, the Chiefs offense isn't dynamic, but it's efficient. Anytime they get an official break or a fumble, or they get just something goes their way, a kicker misses a kick, they tend to go back and punish you. The great quarterbacks punish you for their mistakes. Kansas City doesn't play perfect football, but there's about five great quarterbacks in the league and they don't get punished for them. And that's just the way football works. So you know, I look at I'm thinking about this Mahomes Kelsey.
Speaker 1: So it was funny.
Speaker 2: In the first half, Mahomes had a passer rating of one hundred and ten going to Kelsey and a passer raty of sixty one.
Speaker 1: Going to everybody else.
Speaker 2: It's so classic, and it's very much Brady Gronk. I've got all sorts of notes here. I thought the Texans had a really good game plan early. I love that fifteen play drive. But just ask yourself this, if you're a Texans fan, if I would have said to you before the game, you know you're gonna play pretty well, but your special teams are gonna be awful. Does that sound like you would have beaten the two time defending champs and the greatest quarterback arguably of all time. Be totally honest. You're gonna go on the road, You're gonna play pretty well, but god, our special teams had their worst day of the year. You're not winning that game. You're not winning that game. Those officiating calls I would buy much more if it didn't miss a pat if you didn't get a field goal blocked, if you're not missing kicks, if you didn't give up a huge kickoff return to open the game. So you know, I just I understand fanash short for fanatic, and they're going to rail on those two calls. But in the end, it's Kansas City doing what Kansas City does. And Andy Reid doesn't lose off of buye. And Andy Reid doesn't lose when he's leading a half. He's now twelve and zero when leading it half. Something else I want to give credit for. I thought, not only did you know Mahomes and Kelsey rise to the moment. I thought Joe Bluck and Engman were great today, you know, And I agreed with Akam and that Dalton Schultz play.
Speaker 1: I don't know what a catch is either.
Speaker 2: I thought the minute he secured it, left foot down, right foot out.
Speaker 1: I don't.
Speaker 2: I agreed with Akman, but I think what Troy is willing to say, and it's really important because we're all sitting there saying the same thing as he went after the official today and I appreciate that. And I know a lot of announcers are uncomfortable with that, but Aikman of all the analysts, is willing to take swings on stuff. And I thought the officials missed a couple of early calls, and I agreed with him, and I'm glad he does that because we're all saying the same thing at home. And I think when an analyst can say what we're thinking, that's.
Speaker 1: When you're the most effective.
Speaker 2: You know, it's one thing to have you know you're prepared, but when you can say what I'm thinking, that's a good analyst.
Speaker 1: So tip of the cap there.
Speaker 2: I also think as great as the NFL regular season is, and Peyton Manning told me this year's ago. He said, there's preseason speed, there's regular season speed, there's division rival speed, and then there's playoff speed and intensity. And I mean that thing today. For Kelsey to rise from the ashes, it's just so classic Kansas City and classic playoff football. I think Buffalo is a better team. I think Kansas City is a better situational team. And this whole thing about luck, I mean, look at how Kansas City won games this year. They block a kick like a Denver Broncos kick when they're outplayed. I don't think that's luck. I think it's preparation. I think Spags very early in this game figured out they don't have an answer for our blitzes.
Speaker 1: And they didn't.
Speaker 2: And Houston was a crazy inconsistent team all year. Anyway, like I said, I said going into this game is I couldn't picture away Houston could win. You know, if they got to have to do a good start, they didn't. If everything was pretty buttoned up, it wasn't. I could see them, you know, covering the spread. But you can't have a special team's disaster in winn a arrowhead not gonna happen. Say it out loud, Yeah, we're awful on special teams and we're facing Mahomes and read off a bye. The other thing I think about is I do think this is the best version of Buffalo, and I don't think it's the best version of the Lions. I thought that were aboutter last year because they were healthier. I don't think it's the best version necessarily of the Philadelphia Eagles. I think Sirianni this year has been quirky. I thought the Super Bowl year they had a better staff with Shane Steiken. I don't think it's the best version of Baltimore because A Flowers is hurt. I think this is the best version of the Buffalo Bills, and that's why I think they're going to beat Baltimore. But as I look at the AFC in total, I think there's a about five teams in this league that are a year away. Denver, Rams, I believe, Chargers, Houston, Texans. I think they're all really really close, but they just need another draft to catch up to Buffalo, Philadelphia, Detroit talent, and to be able.
Speaker 1: To topple the Kansas City's chief. So all year.
Speaker 2: Along, I had Kansas City number one in the herd hierarchy. I now have them two behind Buffalo, and I think that's what the AFC Championship is going to look like. But I mean, you're talking Babe Ruth and Gerrig Pippo and Jordan Mahomes and Kelsey. It's what you tell your grandkids about that didn't see it live. Just amazing. Just to put a punctuation on this. Mahomes to Kelsey on the day seven of eight, a perfect passer rating one fifty eight point three. Mahomes to the rest of the team, a passer rating of sixty one completed nine of seventeen.
Speaker 1: Old, reliable when.
Speaker 2: The Chiefs starters played starters playing That defense hasn't given up over twenty points since Thanksgiving, and Carlftis has really emerged. And Kansas City's defense two years ago was really interesting.
Speaker 1: Good but young. Last year they were really good.
Speaker 2: This year they were a little older and they probably won't be able to keep all these guys. But when I watched the Chiefs defense this year, it doesn't quite feel quite as good at corner. But man, they're timing on third and fourth down, their understanding of the scheme and the blitz packages. This Kansas City defense, you know, we think Kansas City's offense is good Situationally, this Kansas City defense.
Speaker 1: Is so good on big downs.
Speaker 2: They can smell it, they can read it, they can taste it. I just feel like we're watching and I've said this all year. They're better offensively than last year.
Speaker 1: I think they.
Speaker 2: I really do. I don't love their offensive tackle situation, but they're better offensively.
Speaker 1: They're more dynamic.
Speaker 2: Xavior Worthy helps. They're maybe not quite as deep defensively, but I think they're that year of age and wisdom.
Speaker 1: Jesus. They're good on big downs defensively, the volume