Speaker 1: Welcome to this League Uncut in the rule.
Speaker 2: Of twenty four hour NBA News.
Speaker 3: This is you, Chris Haynes. It's time, work's.
Speaker 1: Time, it's so time. This League Uncut is underway and on fire. This should be a good one.
Speaker 2: It is going to be a good one.
Speaker 4: A different kind of show, a different kind of this league Uncut. Mark Stein here with Chris Haynes. Back here with you, recording on a Sunday night for a Monday morning drop. A little bit closer to the usual schedule this time of year. Of course, the vagaries of Chris Haynes's travel schedule. He's got to do sideline. He's going from series to series to series. So we're back on our normal track, able to get together here on this Sunday night. We're gonna start off with some playoff talk, but also we do have an interview with Dink Pate, Dallas based six ' eight point guard, seventeen years old, huge newsmaker because he's foregoing his senior year.
Speaker 2: Of high school.
Speaker 4: He's a junior in high school right now, but he is basically he's committed to a two year deal with the G League Ignite for next season and the season after not eligible for the NBA Draft until twenty twenty five, but he has basically committed his next two years to playing for the G League Ignite, as Scoot Henderson did, but even younger than Scoot as he makes this jump, so he's not going to college, not even going to finish his senior year of high school, going to go right to the pros with the G League Ignite. We have a fun conversation with Dink to kind of get his story, get his perspective as he makes this very early move to the pros at the age of seventeen. But like I said, we will start with the playoffs. The first week of the NBA Playoffs hasn't been the funnest. So many big injuries, so many significant injuries, so much focus on officiating, and look, that always happens in the playoffs. Of course it does. We know that injuries impact every postseason. Officiating controversies are always in the headlines. It just feels like this year it's that way from the jump because again, just so many you know, Job missing a game, giannisnd Decumpo and Kawhi Leonard missing two each, Joel Embiid missing a game, Tyler Hero with the broken hand and then the awful Victor Oladipo scene Saturday night that really tough to watch him just drive down, you know, drive into the paint and his left knee just buckled. It was awful, awful to watch. So I mean, you know, we're recording this now on Sunday night. The Sunday games have in you know, much better. I think, you know, I think we we can rightly get excited about the scenes that we saw, you know, Nix and calvs.
Speaker 2: Game four.
Speaker 4: A lot of stakes there, obviously New York seizing a three to one lead, and we know what happens when teams go up three to one.
Speaker 2: So big performance for the Knicks to win that game.
Speaker 4: For huge decision from Tom Thibodeaux to go away from Julius Randall in the fourth quarter. Tom Thibodeaux, who's really seen as one of the more rigid coaches in the NBA, and he totally goes away from the script with Toppin and Hartenstein out there with Jalen Brunson and Josh hart a combination that he hasn't been using in the Knicks pull away in the fourth quarter and win that game, and then Warriors Kings. The series that Chris is headed to for Game five, Warriors down to one, They're getting Draymond Green back.
Speaker 2: They pull that thing out.
Speaker 4: Chris Haynes, are you ready to step into the cauldron that is going to be Warriors at Kings Game five in your home city where you now reside. Chris Haynes gets a home game this.
Speaker 3: Week, first time, Yeah, first time. I'm excited because I haven't experienced that atmosphere yet, that playoff atmosphere with the Kings, and I feel like I'll be missing a little bit of the real, true, authentic atmosphere because they've banned the cowbells now, so I won't get I won't get to hear that now.
Speaker 2: I didn't even know that they have.
Speaker 3: They have, So I'm gonna tell you why. I'm glad you asked that. Stun So. There was a video of a fan who was sitting right behind Bob Myers and while the Kings were beating up on the Warriors, He's just rigging this bell right behind Bob Myers's head, like he's right behind him. The bell is like a few inches from Bob Myers's head and he's just banging that bell banging that bell, and it was it was you know, that wasn't right, that was disrespectful, just doing too much. And so after that, the Kings the band, so they banned the King Kings fans for bringing in the cowbell So what I will say is this, I was told by Raymond Ritter, the Warriors pr ficionado, one of your best friends, Din one of my good friends as well, that the NBA had outlawed for all NBA teams that they can't bring any noises, they can't bring any type of contra yeah noise, yeah, noise making devices. So that was already a law within the NBA, but they allowed for Kings fans to continue that because that was always a tradition with the cowbells. So that fan pretty much messed it up for everybody.
Speaker 4: The thing about that video, though, like what little we saw of it, Bob Myers was so stoic, like he wasn't even reacting to the noise.
Speaker 2: So I guess, like I said this, I totally missed.
Speaker 4: I didn't see the announcement that the cow bells will not be allowed for Game five. And like you said, on one hand, it's always been a feature of Kings games. But don't anyone get mad at the messenger. We have to be honest here. It's the first time in seventeen seasons. Remember it was a sixteen year playoff drought. First time in seventeen years that we've seen the Kings in the playoffs. So what was maybe the passable norm in two thousand and six and the years before, not necessarily the norm anymore. But that's really interesting that this in series change is gonna happen. It's still gonna be plenty loud. I mean, we know that Sacramento crowd is absolutely gonna go nuts there. I mean the question is did they I mean, you know.
Speaker 3: Have they Yeah, they missed a golden opportunity in Game three style, they missed a golden opportunity with Raymond being out that hurt.
Speaker 4: Yeah, because look, I think the Warriors really made it a priority. In Game four, They've really gone after Sabonis. Now, I think they've found something there. We saw Draymond's impact defensively. I mean, the guy is an absolute game changer at that end. Two late stops that were really momentum shifting and despite all of the Warriors crazy mistakes in the last minute. I mean I never would have imagined calling Steph calling a timeout when they didn't have one and everything that went down. But yeah, now that that thing is two too. I mean, you know, this is a must win, must capital m must win Game five for Sacramento, and the fact that it's Wednesday, you know, gives the older team a little extra time to recharge. I mean, you know, I still keep believing even though this Warriors team has been so bad on the road all season long. Again, they've got that NBA record twenty seven playoff series in a row with at least one road win. I came into this series thinking Warriors and six. I mean that this is the big you know, this is the biggest playoff game possible for Sacramento to really validate this season they've had.
Speaker 2: They can't they can't lose this Game five.
Speaker 3: And this where pressure comes into play. Are the Sacramento Kings for real? Yes, we know they're for real, we know they're They're not the team that they used to be, but now their backs are against the wall. And one thing, I think, the one thing that we all have kind of favored is that the Golden State Wars have history on their side. They have a DNA on their side, so you give them the benefit of the doubt, and you picked the Wars at six done. It seemed like like it seems like you still feel pretty good about about that, you know, I.
Speaker 4: Say, I think they already the Kings already showed us something winning the first two. I mean, look, not that my predictions are worth anything. I thought gold I didn't think there was any way the Kings go up to ZIP. I thought Golden State was for sure going to find a way to win one of those first two games on the road, and that quickly the Warriors would have snuffed out all the talk about how bad they've been on the road this season if they get one of those first two and they couldn't. I mean, the Kings have already, you know, acquitted themselves really really well in this series, and you're gonna be right in the heart of it. It's gonna be I mean, that is going to be a game of just massive interest. I think this series has been the spiciest of the first rounders and the one that you know, it had the most potential going in, and it's living up to it so far.
Speaker 3: Yet too well so. The Kings and Warriors series had some competition initially, the Clipper Sons. They were on part right there with them. Man, you probably could make an argument it's probably even more intrigued until things happen over there. But this King's Warriors game right here, man, it's going down to the wire. It's going to be tough. It has the potential to go games, to go seven games. But you just the war is they've been here, they've been here, and this is where the inexperience could play a factor. You know, we'll see the Sacramento Kings are proven teams wrong. Mike Brown said on this very pod, remember when we were talking about when we shared it with him that you know there are teams that are aiming for them, and he said, okay, well that's good, and he played that. He played that SoundBite to us. He played it to his team. He said, because if we're as good as we think we are, we're going to show as whenever up to oh you couldn't argue at all, but it takes two more to advance. So I can't wait. I'm looking forward to that atmosphere again for my first time working a TNT game at home. So it's going to be cool. I'm actually not going to a hotel. I'm going to my house. I'm a stay up. I'm gonna stay at the house.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 3: I don't know if that's a mistake or not, but I've got because I don't want to set the president. I don't want them to be like Chris, you know what, man, We're gonna send you, send you to covering all the Kings games. We're like, okay, but yeah, you gotta stay home. I don't want to set that precedent, you know what I mean, Because I might I might be in trouble at the house. I may need that hotel from time to time, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 4: Well, since we're living vicariously through you, before we even get.
Speaker 2: To all of those difficult decisions.
Speaker 4: So you got Lakers Grizzlies Game four Monday?
Speaker 3: Correct, That is correct, that Monday, So that would be that'd be tomorrow when it's pod drops. Yeah, so yeah, the.
Speaker 4: Same day as this is when this pod drops. But I want to go back to the series that you've been You've done three of the four games in the Sun's Clippers series. Obviously, Clippers get the game one win even without Paul George, but now Kawhi Leonard has missed the last two games, Phoenix has seized a three to one lead. I do think, you know, look, the Suns are gonna win this series now. I mean, I can't see them letting a three to one lead slip. I mean, well, let's start here. What what can you tell us about kawhi situation? Is there any hope for the Clippers to get him back on the floor in this series.
Speaker 3: I don't see it. I don't see it. Even if the Suns were to extend I mean, excuse me, even if the Clippers were to extend this series to Game seven, I don't see it. You know, I reported yesterday that during the game broadcast that you know, he experienced swelling after Game two, was prompted him to get evaluated, and after that evaluation, he was recommended that he's sit rested, wait till the swelling goes down. And as of yesterday, I was told that there was still swelling in the knee. And so it's a tough situation for the Clippers, definitely tough. This is not something I know for sure. This is not something that is milking. This is not something that uh that Kawhi had a had a call on it was he was advised to let this rest to prevent further damaging that knee. And so it's a tough situation. But no, I don't expect them even if they did extend it to Game seven.
Speaker 4: Man, it's awful because this is year four of this and it's just no matter what happens one way or the other, the Clippers can't get their full team on the court. And you know, the natural question is going to be where do they go from here? And it's it's you know, it's not a clear answer because you know, they gave up all those picks and shake Gil just Alexander to bring Paul George in. Uh, you know, Paul George obviously needed the Clippers to get realistic. Paul George needed the Clippers to at least reach the second round to have any shot to play in these playoffs. And the question is, you know, I don't have the answer today on you know, we're recording this on Sunday, but it'll be April twenty fourth when this thing drops. I can't tell you on April twenty fourth what the Clippers are going to do. But a lot of people around the league are going to be talking about it, because I.
Speaker 2: Mean, do.
Speaker 4: You keep the Kawhi Paul George tandem together and try again to refresh the cast around them and see if you can get them both right for playoff time? Are they going to look into Paul George's trade market again? I don't know the answer to that at this early juncture, but I mean, we know Steve Balmer will spend anything it takes to win. We know they've got this amazing new arena coming and by all accounts, anybody who's seen any of it says it is truly amazing. But you know, what kind of changes can the Clippers make after a season like this?
Speaker 2: Because to go.
Speaker 4: Out like this again, not being able to have their two stars in the court, dispiriting to stay the least.
Speaker 3: And one thing that complicates matters I wouldn't say use comp maybe that's the wrong word, but you have to remember the the Clippers are going to open up in that new arena for the let me see, it would be the twenty twenty four season. So they want to open that arena up with some star power. They want it to be a main attraction. They're trying to take over the city of Los Angeles, and the last thing they want to do is start start off in that new arena with a lackluster team. So Kawhi Leonard and Paul George, you know, might be their best options to stick, you know, stick, stick, see it through. I should say, I remember when the Golden State Warriors went through that, you know, that was always that was always a tough year for them to go and open up Chase Center and they weren't hold. Klay Thompson had his injury, Kevin Durant left and it took them out of championship contention and it suffered. You know, they suffered for the first couple of years. So you know that's that's one thing that's going to be on Steve Barmber's mind. You know, he wants to have a title contending team to open up that building. So he's going to definitely he's going to urge the front office to see what they can do. But I don't know, I don't know if they'll be able to do better than what they have right now. As far as the star players that they have.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean you said that the twenty twenty four to twenty five season, that is when the Clippers are scheduled to move in to their new into It Dome and I'm not even sure, but it's in Englewood, and you know, obviously they've poured bazillions into this thing. One point two billion, I think is the last figure.
Speaker 5: So it's you.
Speaker 4: Know, it's gonna be state of the art, and you're right, Ballmer's gonna want a state of the art team in there. I mean, having done that series three of the four games to this point, what's what's the vibe around the Clippers? I mean, how would you describe it being close to that team? And I mean again, they started so well with the game, you know, they steal Game one, and then the way it's just gone now, I mean they must be they must be down.
Speaker 3: The way I would describe it is basically like, here we go again. Yeah, that's that's it. Here we go again. It's par for the course. You know, it seemed like there's always something that just falls from up under them, you know, at the wrong time, and I guess there's really not a right time. But yeah, I mean they're they're accustomed to this, unfortunately, And you know, the bright thing about this this run or this playoff serious Stein is the player Russell Westbrook. Man, Oh, he's been phenomenal. He's been phenomenal. I know people wonder if he still had it, still had it on that level. Man, he's been keeping this team aflow. Even that game won when he shot atrociously and we talked about it. He made key plays, great plays down the stretch, defensively setting his teammates up offensive rebounder. But he's been torturing the Suns right now. He's been there long. Him and Noman Pal I should say, been really good. But it's just not enough. It's not enough, and they're deeper. They're still deep. Well, they're one of the deepest teams, the Clippers in the league. I mean, you take KD and Paul George, that kind of dampers that a little bit, but it's still they can't combat the sons of KD and Devin Booker, who are playing amazingly. Chris Paul got his rhythm back offensively in Game four. The Sons still don't have a bitch. They're relying a lot on their starters. But we even with all that said, Bea said, Clippers don't have enough. I don't expect it to go beyond Game five.
Speaker 2: Yeah, look, you said it. That has been the one silver lining.
Speaker 4: You know, the Clippers were so roundly second guest for even wanting to bring Russell Westbrook in. You can't even imagine them now if they didn't have him. I mean, he's been huge in this series, and I think a lot of people are happy for us that he's, you know, finding some measure of redemption in this postseason, even though again it's you know, it's not gonna be enough to get them to the second round. I think the other big storyline here is you know, you said it. I mean, Kevin Durant and Devin Booker are They're playing a lot of minutes, like I have to think the Denver Nuggets, who as we're taping this, Denver is early in its game in Minneso. So it's, you know, as we're taping this, we don't know if the Nuggets are finishing this thing off in four games or if they're gonna have to close it out in five. But I think Denver has to feel really good looking at the demands that many Williams has to put on Kevin Durant and Devin Booker just because they they don't have a bench.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and that's gonna be. You ain't gonna be able to change that during the playoffs. There's no there's no transactions you can make during the postseeds. So they're gonna have to deal with it. And you know, MANI Williams said, you know, guys, don't you know? We talked. I talked to him before the game, before Game four, and he said, he knows that's getting a lot of tensions the minutes that he puts on the start and five. He said, but look if you compare the guys in the eighties and nineties where they played the same amount of minutes and they practiced two hours a day. Said, we don't practice like that at all, he said. So he say, feels still feels like he has some cushion, But it's going to be you know, you just you just hope. I don't want to see any more injuries, man, I don't want to see any more injuries. It's it's been a brutal postseason thus far to seeing guys, seeing guys go down.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the only depot thing was awful.
Speaker 4: I mean I I rattled my whole house and made some kind of noise of just shock and uh, you know, it was awful.
Speaker 5: It was just awful.
Speaker 4: Oladipo has been through so much injury wise these last couple of years. Just sickening to see that. I mean, in Milwaukee, how bad must the back be for Giannis to miss too? I mean, Jis does not miss, sure for him to miss, I mean for him to miss too. And Milwaukee, who really was the closest thing to a favorite to win it all, is you know, down to one as we speak, with Jannis not being able to play two of the three games. So I mean Joel Embiid situation, that's yet another one where we've got Doc River saying, you know, a Philly Boston matchup is still theoretical. Boston still needs one more win to finish off the Hawks, but as we were recording this podcast, the Celtics go up three to one on the Hawks with a Game four win in Atlanta. Boston only needs one more home win obviously to finish that thing off, but that series wouldn't even start until Saturday. But even that might not be enough time for Joel Embiid to be back in the lineup, according to Doc Rivers. So it's just been one thing after another and again, injuries always impact the postseason. That is nothing new, but to have so many injuries of consequence this early, it's rough. So as we speak now again we're recording this on Sunday night while the Nuggets and Wolves are locked into a game for Denver going for the sweep here.
Speaker 2: But as we speak, the.
Speaker 4: Only series that's over is Philly Brooklyn. And I'm sure you saw this. Chris Haynes, a player that I think you know pretty well, Chris Haynes. Damian Lillard of the Portland Trailblazers suddenly appeared courtside for Game three of that Sixers Nets series, And of course that sent NBA Twitter into a tizzy because naturally there was a lot of conclusion jumping.
Speaker 2: Does Dame want to be a Sixer? Does Dame want to be a net? Why is he courtside?
Speaker 4: He loves McHale Bridges like, what is he doing there? Can you and obviously I was understating it before. Can you the NBA's foremost Dame ologist, can you explain? Can you shed any light on why Damian Lillard all of a sudden appeared at a NETS Sixers playoff game in Brooklyn?
Speaker 3: So all of this because he went to a game.
Speaker 4: Okay, that's what we do in the that's what we do in the media. We blow things out of proportion.
Speaker 3: Okay, so listen, I pretty much knew the reason he went, but I made a call. I made a call to Damien Little himself before we started this podcast, and and just wanted to get get it clear, get it straight. He told me he went there for some meetings, and he went there for some projects. He's some musical projects he's working on, and he wanted me to announce that he's dropping his new album next month. He didn't give me the name. He didn't give me who's being featured on it as of right now, but he's dropping his new album next month. Also, Michel Bridges, you know, that's a really good friend of his. And he said he went out there support him. And this was his first NBA game attending as a professional player. He's never attended another NBA game since he was drafted in two thousand.
Speaker 2: So his fan debut court sid.
Speaker 3: Exactly. It's fan debut. And I know people making the connection and all that stuff, trying to connect dots. There's no dots to be connected right now. But I will add this. Stein, he told me this. He also tried to get a court side seat to the Knicks game, but they couldn't accommodate him. They didn't have a ticket, they couldn't get him a ticket for the seat that he wanted. And the Brooklyn Nets were the only team that was able to accommodate him to get a court side seat. So you actually would have seen him at a Nets and the next game, but he couldn't get the CD wanted and Styn.
Speaker 2: Don't look at now. I will just say this.
Speaker 4: I will just say this, court side seats at Madison Square Garden right now have to be very, very very in demand.
Speaker 2: The Knicks are as.
Speaker 4: Hot as they've been for ten years, twenty years. I mean the two games there this weekend, the raucousness of the crowd, the.
Speaker 3: Hey, you're saying this wise steincause.
Speaker 4: I'm just saying, Oh, I'm saying all that, but I'm saying but that was kind of my lead in to say, if Damian Lillard wants a court side ticket, somehow I'm finding a way to get him aside ticket, no matter how in demand it is.
Speaker 3: Stein. Look, I've watched you know, I watched those next games, especially in the playoffs, and they always show the stars and the celebrities that are there, and I'm like, come on now, I'm seeing some of these people and I'm like, come on now, you got them, Dame, Dame. You couldn't accommodate Dame. It's not like he's asking for a discount. He's going he's going to pay the money, Dame Lillard. But yeah, the Knicks couldn't have come there. They couldn't get them in. So Dame was not able to sit courtside of the Necks game.
Speaker 4: Interesting, not the content, not where I thought this story was going. But that's where that's why we that's why we consult the NBA's foremost damologist for the real for the real story.
Speaker 3: Will you be buying Dame's latest album Stein?
Speaker 2: I will be waiting for the media review copy.
Speaker 3: Okay, Well, so you're gonna wait for me, that's what you said. That's what you said, wait for me to tell you how it is.
Speaker 4: Okay, But you know, if you want to do a review, if you want to do a formal review, you know we should.
Speaker 2: We should do that. We should, we should let you give it a formal review.
Speaker 3: I've gave Dame some suggestions on which way he should go with this next album. I want to see if he follows suit.
Speaker 2: I've actually been and what's your gut? Will he listen or is he No?
Speaker 3: No, I don't think he'll listen. No, I don't think he'll listen. But I gave it anyway. So I've actually been in the studio with Dame a few times. And I remember one time when to the studio. We're in LA this off season, probably about five years ago, and he said, come up to the studio. I forgot where the studio was at, but I went, and it's funny. It gave me see start this is the state. I'm not gonna put your business out there, but you you know a little bit about man. Yeah, okay, okay.
Speaker 4: I am not qualified in any way, shape or form to me.
Speaker 3: You have. Yeah, you're associated somehow, You're associated somehow with this feel. That's all I will say. But it's really interesting how the the process of coming up with ideas and stories in the studio. It's it's it's interesting how it comes about. So I was in the studio and it's Dame and there's a producer, you know, at the desk and he's playing Dame songs, playing them songs, and they just excuse me playing them instrumentals. They just keep going over instrumentals. So this process is about it's ours. You're playing, you're playing different instrumentals. You're seeing what sticks in, you know, and that's what it's about. So there's food there, everything, you're there, you just kind of want to stay in. As an artist, you just stay in the room and you just see what creative juices start to flow. And so Dam's doing this for a few hours and then all of a sudden, Too Short comes in, and I'm like, what in the world. Too Short comes through? So Too Short comes in and I'm like, wow, this is crazy. So Too Short sits there and they just start listening. And so there's like no plan for those two to collab and do a project, but they just listening to see if there's a track that they both can vibe to. And while I was there because I had to leave, I'm like, man, no music being made. I'm gone. So as I leave, here comes Lil Wayne comes in. Then I stay. I'm like i gotta stay for this. Little Wayne comes in. Same thing. Music is being played, so there was nothing done on that day that I witnessed, But it was just interesting to see how the process of creating music goes and how, you know, how each artist goes about it.
Speaker 2: So this was all in La.
Speaker 3: This is all in LA about four or five years ago.
Speaker 5: Quite a life.
Speaker 4: You lead, Quite a life.
Speaker 3: Stein. One day, I'm gonna get you to reveal your real life. You like, you'd like to keep it all hidden, but people will be very soil life.
Speaker 2: It's so boring. Nobody wants to hear about my life.
Speaker 4: But next we are going to throw it to the interview. We promised you. We have Dink Pate who just signed a contract that will make him the youngest known American born professional basketball player.
Speaker 2: In the NBA.
Speaker 4: Let's check out our convo with Dink right now.
Speaker 3: You know, I think it's important on occasion to highlight some of the up and coming players that you're going to see in this league, and this is one right here. He pretty much made history, and we're going to have him on the episode. He's actually in Stein's own backyard. This brother right here goes by the name of Dick pay DP. He just signed with the G League Knight and he made American history because this kid is seventeen, but he reclassified. He's really from the class of twenty twenty four of high school. Reclassified twenty twenty three. He entered the Pro Arena G League Knight, and so he'll be eligible for the NBA Draft in twenty twenty five and he'll get a chance to play with the G League Knight for two years prior. And so that's the youngest American professional basketball player that we know of DP. Thank you for coming on, man, I just want to ask real quick man, what has it been like since you made your decision to reclassify and ultimately sign with the G League Knight.
Speaker 5: You know, it's been crazy. You know, the Internet, every thing is been everything's been blown up since that day. But you know, trying to stay off of that and keep my mind focused on my main goal, which is, you know, going to the G League and getting ready to play against pro level guys. Is that's my main focus right now.
Speaker 4: Obviously you probably had a zillion colleges coming after you. How long have you been thinking about going this route instead to basically make a two year commitment with the G League to Night because obviously you don't have a choice. You're not draft eligible till twenty twenty five because the NBA rules, Like, how did this even come into your thinking of this is the option I need to take.
Speaker 5: When I was younger, I was always you know, before I even knew what Overseas was or the G League, I always told myself, like, I'm just not gonna go to college basketball wise, I always my mindset has always been pro and I always just think I'm just gonna go straight to the league.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 5: So when I got this, when I was present with this opportunity, you know, of course it was you know, we we didn't, we didn't, we let it sink in for a little minute. But when we started thinking about it, like, this is what I've been saying ever since I was Jay high. So you know, this is just it's a it's a dream come true, and it's also a blessing.
Speaker 3: So dp there there was there was a possibility in this this last of CBA agreement that they would potentially allow for kids to go straight from high school to the NBA again, and that that did not happen. They didn't change that, and that kind of shocked a lot of people. Was that something you were looking at were you hoping they would change that? How how how closely were you following.
Speaker 5: That I would I wouldn't at all, you know what I'm saying. I wouldn't just try to be one of them type of players that just get to the league. You know, that's not my main goal. Of course, I want to get to the league, but I want to be one of those all star top guys, one of the one of the greats that's talking about, such as Lebron, Kobe, Shag, all those type of names. You know, getting to the league is just not I'm not there yet.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 5: When I get to the league, I don't want to just be one of those players that's just I can say I'm in NBA. You know what I'm saying. I want to be one of those players that you know, playing twenty plus years, just like what Lebron is doing right now.
Speaker 2: Dink peate with us.
Speaker 4: This is a fascinating story in the world of basketball. Just seventeen years old. My neighbor here in Dallas. He's committed to play the next two years with the G League Knight. He's not draft eligible until twenty twenty five, but he already knows what he's going to do with the next two years of his life, play with the G League Knight to get ready for the draft, instead of going the college route, instead of going to Australia, instead of doing all these There's a variety of options now that players have, but so unique to make this decision when you're a junior in high school. I'm curious because you're in Dallas. Jaden Hardy, of course with the Mavericks, he's been a huge success going from the Ignite to the Maverick slip to the second round of the draft, but had a great rookie season here in Dallas. Have you had any chance to get to know him and kind of quiz him about what life with the Ignite is like?
Speaker 5: Not really, you know, I just know people that know him, like School Henderson, when having a conversation with him, you know, because I'm doing basically doing the same thing he did. You know, he was the youngest to do it. My birthdays in March is in February. That's why I am the youngest as of right now. So you know, when talking to him and seeing what Ignite has done with him, he's number He's gonna get drafted.
Speaker 4: What basically has his message to you been what advice is?
Speaker 5: Just like yes, he was, just like, you know, you can do the same thing I can do. You can do the same thing that I'm doing right now, which is because he made history and now that I'm making it for him to do the two year deal and me to do it now, you know, I think it's an opportunity that might come around, maybe even more often met and other places. You never know, you know what I'm saying. So just looking far ahead right now. Of course, the G League for me is the reason why I took this route is the development process. You know, me coming out of high school. That's why I was telling you earlier. If I was presented to just go to the league right out of high school, I wouldn't you know. I can see myself right now. You know, I'm not there yet for me to go out here and get better and go to this development process like people what people tell me out the time, it's scary to see what the outcome will be.
Speaker 3: Okay, DP, Now I gotta put you on the spot since you opened that door. You want to get to the league, that's the ultimate goal. But you said the G leaguing Knight presents the opportunity to be developed for those two years, so I wouldn't want to say this. So if the G League Knight didn't exist, and you know, I'm assuming college would probably been the alternative DP. What do you think you would have What do you think you would have had it? What college would have got DP if you had to go to college?
Speaker 4: I hope cal State Fullerton is the answer.
Speaker 5: You know, it would have been a real big toss up between Arkansas and Alabama. But if I had, if I had, if it had to come down to the wire, I would have been with the roll time. I would have went to Alabama, you know. Having a having a relationship with Coach Oates and Coach Bryant, who is now the head coach at Arkansas State. You know, Coach Brian is me and his relationship is like how me an assistant coach at Pinston relationship is. You know, I can come to him for anything and he just he's a cool coach. But I think coach Coach Oates is also one of the great coach you know, he came down to the school a couple of times, came to some games just to show how down the earth he is, and I think that's why the main reason why I would have went to Alabama and saying what they'd have done with Brandon Miller. And when I went on a on a fisher out there, you know, I was talking to Brandon, he was just like, man, it's just it's just work. All work is easy work, as he was what he was basically telling me.
Speaker 4: So from what I've read about you, you like to pattern your game after Penny Hardaway. It's been a long time since Penny Hardaway played in an NBA game. Obviously, I know there's YouTube video that you can study, but how does how does the idea to even try to pattern yourself after Penny? How does that even get on the radar for someone your age?
Speaker 5: Just the whole big guard situation that I that I got going right now, of course, Penny t Matt Tracy, m I mean, Magic Johnson, just all type of big point guards that I that I like to watch, like Paul George watching somebody like him, Kevin Durrant. But Penny Hardaway, he's just you know, he was bringing the ball up the floor and doing the same thing that I'm doing. I'm doing the same Let me rephrase that I'm doing the same thing that he was doing. So you know, when I was talking to Penny, it was just like I'm actually talking to him. I'm this is one of my favorite points guards of all time. So I'm just do I ask this? Do I want to ask him that? You know, I don't want to. I ain't want to miss nothing up, especially being on the phone with him, just like I don't know what to ask. But he is a down to earth person. You know, he don't think he's he's Hollywood too much above himself. But for him, he's just I think he's a great player, and I think he should be talked about a lot more.
Speaker 2: Have you watched the movie Blue Chips yet?
Speaker 5: I've seen Blue Chips maybe a long time ago. I ain't seen it recently because actually one of my other AAU coaches, George Lynch.
Speaker 4: He was in that movie, George George Lynch Man. I covered George Lynch as a Laker beat writer many many, many years and pounds ago, and that's what I mean.
Speaker 2: That's the thing.
Speaker 4: You know, George is part of this amazing, you know, Dallas basketball scene that we have. There are so many high level players here. Ralphae Albarlow, who is a fantastic draft analyst and someone who is also in the Dallas community. I mean, he told me that there are you know, six seven local players who are draft contenders in this upcoming draft, in the twenty twenty three draft. What is it done for you to be surrounded by all this good competition and what has it done for your game?
Speaker 5: Of course, it's got me better. I've always been playing up my whole basketball career so far, so playing against other top guys, I think the exposure part is good for it. But when sticking is just when you sticking strictly to basketball and you see nothing but you and your defender and your eyes, it's a different mentality that you get in your in your body. You get that feeling like it's that time to hoop. So you know it's when it's that time to go. You know, it's always to kill MO from from now on, especially with me playing against guys that's been in the NBA and playing with guys that's played in the league, taking advice from from my teammates that that has already been chopping it up with me, It's gonna be a great experience. I'm ready for it.
Speaker 3: This is impressive. Again, we're talking with dink pe DP. He just reclassified, graduated high school early seventeen, signed with the G League. Knight is going to be with them for two years before he is NBA draft eligible in twenty twenty five. This kid is talking about studying tapes of Penny Hardaway. Penny Hardaway, man, that's crazy. So for those who don't know, please go do your research on this kid. Look him up. He's a six to eight point guard, six eight point guard, athletic point guard. So that's why he's talking about Penny Hardaway, t Max, some of these big guards. So DP, when you think about when you think about your development as a point guard, right, there are a lot of players that come into this league and they get put into other positions. I remember when I interviewed Jah before he declared for the draft, but he wasn't drafted yet, and I asked him, I said, what is your natural position? And he said, I'm a point gud. I said, okay, so you're a point guard he said, he said no, no, I'm a point god. So he was already committed to that role, you know. So for you, you know, I know a lot of players like to say, you know, I'm a basketball player. First, I'm hooper player. I could play anywhere. What is your natural what do you see your natural position being in the league.
Speaker 5: Playing that point guard position? That point guard is what I play. I play on the ball. The main reason is I can make the right decision in the most humblest way. I'm saying it as possible. I feel I can make the right decision and the right play, and I'm all about winning. You know, stats is cool, Getting twenty is cool, but that comes with winning. You know, playing as a team, you never know how many points you count in your head what some people do when you just all about winning.
Speaker 4: Obviously, for you, a decision like this, it's not without sacrifices. Obviously, Now you're not going to go to a school like Alabama or Arkansas with the huge crowds they get. Obviously they get much bigger crowds than the Ignite are going to play in front of no nil no McDonald's game next year, because you're again you're only a junior next year. I'm sure you would have been in that McDonald's game. How hard was it to kind of leave all those things behind it and choose this route.
Speaker 5: Uh, it's a big sacrifice, you know. But some of the things that I've seen that there's been a lot of McDonald's all Americans, that's been them top guys in high school, and when you're trying to go somewhere far in the league, they're nowhere to be found. But you know, the decision that I made. You know, I really don't put my mind on them type of politics, political things, my bad, those type of political things, because those are people's opinions on who should be this and who should be that, you know. But when I'm playing basketball, I think that probably would have came with it. But for me to get going to this development process that I'm going to go to right now, the McDonald's, all that, the Joining Classic, all that stuff is behind me right now.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 5: My mindset is pro right now, being a pro, being a better pro, and once I get to that big stage, you know, just to show up and do my work.
Speaker 3: DP. You talked about some of those players playing in the McDonald's on America. You don't see them. You don't see them. A lot of them. They don't make it to that point, and that's a that opens up a good segue for a topic. Something that I've noticed, I would say probably over the last six years with the rise of social media and so dp what I've seen you could tell me, tell me your perspective, because you're in it. So I've seen a love kids, right, they are top some of the top players in high school, and they already got close to a million followers on social media, whether that's Twitter, ig, and they're already considered star. They're already considered public figures. And what I've noticed just from watching, because you know, I've seen some of these players coming up, is that that drive they lose a drive because they feel like they've already made it because they got the popularity, you know what I mean? So what what is? What is the role of social media? How was that play? Because you kind of grew up in it for us, we got used to it over the last ten fifteen years before you grew up in it. Have you seen a negative effect with the rise of social media and popularity with players as you're trying to come up and reach your goals?
Speaker 5: Yes, sir, of course, I'm kind of technically how how my my personality is I'm really a nineties baby, you know, my favorite rappers, Tupac so him. I think I think social media kill reality. Social media kill reality because everybody wants this this cloud everybody that everybody wants clout. You know. For me, I stay off of social media. I think social media would would would not have me in a position that I'm in right now. I don't. That's why I don't pay attention to all types of like rankings and all types of other stuff. I keep my mind just strictly on basketball. That's my main thing. That's why I listened to a lot of Tupac. Tupac kept it real one hundred every percent. Social media is just especially like Instagram with all the followers and stuff like that. I mean, it's cool to have fans, yeah, but you know when people take it to another level. Uh And and I don't want to go to the gym, man, I got to go see some people. I gotta go do this for my social media, for my followers and stuff like that. That is what's killing a lot of people today. You know, the social media. It ruined a lot of reality.
Speaker 3: Stein this kid wasn't even born with Tupac died. He wasn't he wasn't born with and he was playing.
Speaker 4: What I was gonna say, Tupac and Penny. He's an old soul for a seventeen year old. Tell us what what is your summer look like from here? Because obviously the Ignite season doesn't start until October ish, So what you know, what are the next several months look like for you?
Speaker 5: Getting in a gym, getting in a gym, getting bigger. We travel to Vegas in a few weeks, so getting down there and starting early, getting ready to meet the guys, and getting ready to start my development process. You know, for the next two years, I plan to I plan, I plan to show people, improve to people what I can do DP.
Speaker 3: So you're going to be around NBA players once you get to the G League night and eventually you will be in the NBA as well. But what's one player or or a few players that you're just most interested in getting in front of, whether that's on the court or whether you just want to just have a talk with them. What's one player that one or two players that come to mind.
Speaker 5: Kevin Durant. Kevin Durant is one of my favorite players to watch right now. Kevin Durant, Paul George and Lebron of course, you know Lebron, you better listen to what he tells you because if not, you missing out. Dylan Brooks ain't listening, DP, Dylan Brooks ain't listening. You mentioned you mentioned KD.
Speaker 3: I don't know if you saw the game last night, but uh, I was on the on the sidelines interview. I interviewed k D after the game? Did you see that on T your T d P?
Speaker 5: I seen. I think they won yesterday?
Speaker 3: Did they were?
Speaker 5: I was watching a fight I had to watch.
Speaker 3: Oh okay, I just stood understood that. Yeah, h yeah.
Speaker 5: So after after the game, Uh, I think I think we cut the TV out.
Speaker 3: You cut the TV at the most important time. Listen what I'm doing the games, d P. You can't be cut the game off, really, man, you gotta one to see who I talk to? Man now I know now it's all good. Hey, I Bena, get you a one last one, then we're out of here. DP. When when it's time, when it's twenty twenty five, when it's time to make your make your name known, when you hear your name called in the NBA draft, and then when you know you got you know, as of right now, some of the guys that's going to be in that class. How do you feel you stack up with the rest of that class when it's twenty twenty five, Like, I don't want to say rank yourself, but how do you feel you stand out in that class?
Speaker 5: I feel I stand out because I can do almost everything well more height, most people can score only, most people can maybe dribble only, most people can maybe shoot only. I feel like I got that in in in the bag and everything. So you know, my main goal is to be the number one overall pick in the class of twenty twenty five. And I'm gonna keep telling myself that that's just that's the confidence level I got. And I'm not gonna never be be little on myself or never think, never be afraid to say that I want to be the number one overall pick, because that's what that's what I want to do, you know, And I'm gonna work for I'm gonna work hard for the next two years and improve that to everybody and to myself.
Speaker 3: Number one pick.
Speaker 4: Six seven or six eight. What should we tell people?
Speaker 5: Hopefully, I say by six eleven.
Speaker 4: So you you're still growing.
Speaker 3: Then he's seventeen, he's still growing. He can grow up till twenty twenty one. Maybe to that star. His pops J Moss told me, man, he listened to Tupac nineties soul, some rock and roll motel. This kid's all over the place. Man.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I can listen to every I listen to everything every now and then. But if I'm getting ready to play that All Lies on Me album, it's on. It's on repeat. Man, come on now, come on.
Speaker 3: Now, this kid man all sy You don't know that about to All Eyes on Me Star. That's that's that's what Tupac got out, went to death ro Come on California.
Speaker 5: Longs sold five million copies right there, man, and and Denny and Denny dropped that.
Speaker 3: Hit him up then, job, oh my goodness, hit him up. What sign see DP We gotta I gotta get you on again. We're gonna talk nothing but nineties hip hop. Man.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you want me to, you want me to log off, and you guys can do a music pod without me.
Speaker 3: No, this this is about hoop right now. But this this dude is fascinating, man, So you check him out. If he got an old soul, you know he's gonna come correct with game preparation. And you know he got his mindset social media. Like what he said about social media really stands out, man. So I want to give your shout out to you. Man. First of I want to say congratulations again brother for making this move and uh making history. And I'll be following you, bro, We'll be following you man. Hopefully this won't be your last time on this podcast. Man. We want to see you do great things. Brother.
Speaker 5: I appreciate it man, whenever, whenever, and whenever I can get on here, please, I would love to get back on here.
Speaker 3: That's dope again. This was dink Pate just signed with the G League Ignight. Graduated early from high school at Seventeen's going to do the two year program with G League Knight before being eligible for the NBA Draft in twenty twenty five. You heard it right here on this podcast, on this League Uncut. He wants to be the number one pick twenty twenty five. The guests that we've had that come on this show, they always have good karma from there on out, so you know, watch out for DP dink Pate. Appreciate you again, brother.
Speaker 2: Thank you, good luck to you.
Speaker 4: Thanks for joining us.
Speaker 2: Mature young man.
Speaker 4: Right there, Chris Haynes, seventeen years old making some major life decisions.
Speaker 2: Glad we did that.
Speaker 4: That was interesting to kind of hear his perspective on a path that's still really really new when it comes to making your way to professional, making your way as a professional in this sport. That is going to do it for another edition of This League Uncut. As all always, please review the show, rate the show, subscribe to the show. This is dropping again on a Monday morning. Chris on the sideline in La tonight for Grizzlies at Lakers Game four. He and I will be getting together again soon to record our next episode. Everybody, thanks for being with us.
Speaker 2: Talk to you again Mary soon.
Speaker 1: And that'll do it for us.
Speaker 2: See you next time. This League on Cut is and iHeartRadio production Chris Haines and Mark Stein