Speaker 1: Will ferrell Snoop Dogg at practices, I would have signed instantly, Dude.
Speaker 2: Kobe and Shack had just got off their three p I think Shack had bounced. The daughters weren't great, the Kings weren't great. Like it was our town.
Speaker 1: Today, we're looking at the infamous Bush Push two thousand and five USC versus Notre Dame, one of the oldest.
Speaker 2: College football rivalries.
Speaker 1: We had a two thousand and four Heisman Award winner QB for the Cardinals, Texas and Raiders, Matthew steven Liner.
Speaker 2: The aura that you guys had as a college football team, the history of the titles, the Heisman's, the games. I sat there and I thought you guys were pro. That was the life we had, Like we would go anywhere. We were treated like celebrities. We could get into any club. At eighteen, it was wild, Dude. Right when I got off the bus, I'm like, this is gonna be about it, And they come out in the green jerseys and we're lying, Oh my god, I just hate under Damn dude, I still hate Unre Dame. The next play is when I scrambled, I hang on bumble. The next thing I know is their storm in the field, and I'm just like, what's just happening? I just lost the game? So I come in and I swear to god, dude, it was the loudest I ever been. I couldn't hear myself talk. I'm getting a goosebumps just thinking about Liner.
Speaker 1: You gonna try to sneak it, am speak a touch. Games with Names is the production of iHeartRadio.
Speaker 3: Games Just Names is doing a live show, and you guys bought so many tickets so gosh darn fast that we are adding a second show. Come hang with us August thirtieth at the Wilbur Theater in Boston. Pre sale tickets are available today, February eighth, at ten am.
Speaker 2: Go to the Wilbur dot com and use the promo code GWN. They're moving fast, so don't wait. I'll see you folks there over in Boston.
Speaker 4: Let's go.
Speaker 1: Welcome to Games and Names, presented by Win Bet. On today's episode, we are talking the Bush Push two thousand and five USZ versus Notre Dame with Matthew Lionert the Lefty Heisman Win.
Speaker 4: Oh my god. As a Domers fan, I'm still mad about this game. I don't even want to get into it.
Speaker 1: Right, you're a Domers fan. Oh yeah, are you a note?
Speaker 4: I'm a Domers guy.
Speaker 2: Is that? Is that what they call the Golden Dome?
Speaker 4: You're a Domer thought they were called losers.
Speaker 1: Get out of here, Get out of here.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 1: We'll save this for the post.
Speaker 4: I'm all riled up already.
Speaker 5: Episode. That was awesome.
Speaker 1: That was awesome. One of college's greatest dynasties. We go over that USC, I mean at that time was insane. The partying, the rappers on the sidelines.
Speaker 2: We all know.
Speaker 1: We get the inside scoop though, Brian Routes with Snoop Snoop out here doing one on one Snoop a loop and the transition from being a college icon superstar hero to the rookie in the National Football League. Good insight there, great insight. Great to see his perspective. A lot of people don't realize, you know, you're twenty two, you just won the Heisman, or actually you played it a year after you won the Heisman. You got to just do ballroom dancing date Paris Hilton allegedly, well you know, and then all of a sudden you wake up and you got thirty million in your bank account. You got a national championship and now you gotta go be the lowest mantotem pole.
Speaker 4: Screaming at you. Danny Green out in the desert. Baby they are We let them.
Speaker 1: Have the hook. And then we wrap up this show by answering some questions from the fans. It's gonna it's a good one. It's a wait one, can't wait. Make sure you check out Games with Names on YouTube, Instagram, x, Snapchat, and TikTok at Games with Names. Subscribe on Apple podcasts, Spotify, or wherever you listen to your podcast. Comment on a game you want us to do and remember, rate and review. There you go, Jackie, call in, we got a line. Call in four two four two nine one two two nine zero. Leave a message of your favorite game you want us to do, or just some crazy old story that you have about a game that you maybe want us to do, or whatever. We will enjoy hearing those calls.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: Games with Names is brought to you by when Bet. When Bet brings the excitement of win Las Vegas and encore Boston Harbor to your phone. Join when Bet today and bet with the official online gaming products from wind Resorts All right, guys, let's go though. October fifteenth, two thousand and five, Notre Dame Stadium, South ben Indiana.
Speaker 2: Down thirty one to twenty eight with seven seconds left on the clock. Bat linerd steps to the line of scrimmage. Is he gonna sneak it? Oh my god? What's Reggie? This is the bush Monday, bro, Let's go. Let's go. This is awesome, dude.
Speaker 1: Welcome to Games with Names presented by win Bet. Today we have a very very special, very special guest.
Speaker 2: It's just it's so good to be here. It's it's you know.
Speaker 1: We got a two thousand and four Heisman Award winner. It's our third Heisman guy.
Speaker 2: We had Ricky Williams, Peyton Manning.
Speaker 1: We had a first team All American College Hall of Famer QB for the Cardinals, Texas and Raiders. Host of Big Noon Kickoff on Fox. I watch it every Saturday. We have Matthew steven Matthew Stevenler.
Speaker 2: What's up man? What's up man?
Speaker 1: How you doing?
Speaker 2: I'm freaking pumped to be here, dude, are you yeah? Good? I mean, by the way, I just saw Bruce Willis over there on the walls. Maybe it's a chopper.
Speaker 1: Huh, who's motorcycles this?
Speaker 2: Maybe it's a chopper. That's a great, that's a great. It's dead.
Speaker 1: What are you up to besides tiktoking right now? I see you on TikTok. I mean you are committed, dude. You're in it.
Speaker 2: Daily content.
Speaker 6: Bro.
Speaker 2: I was told I need to push out daily content. I'm like, are you sure? And they're like, yeah, so I'm I'm in the football content right now on the road doing all that stuff. Yeah. It's a lot, but it's fun, it's working, it's it's it's paying off, it's it's building a little bit.
Speaker 1: I like the Manhattan Dad stuff. Yeah, the manhatt coaching stuff, like this is the coach stuff, the.
Speaker 2: Big the starter. I did a Manhattan Beach starter pack, so you're familiar with the South Bay Manhattan Beach. I did a Manhattan Beach starter pack, and that one kind of like catapults me up in the South Bay because it was like, you know, man, like we're retired. I'm retired. I walk around there. No one really cares. It's great. It's a great place. But like I got stopped more for that the Manhattan Beach Dad's Thing starter pack than anything else I've ever done. It was like, oh the mahabe it was and from Why Mom's Divorcees Dads, it was hilarious. Was it one of them to have an suv with tinted windows with them all the way down? Was that? It was? Is that a part of that one? It was a golf cart? You have a golf have a golf cart? Uh? You got the aviator nation everyone, the creation, the juices that you're you know, you spend thirty dollars for smoothie. I love it. Yeah, I love it. So yeah, it's all good man.
Speaker 1: So today we're looking at the infamous Yeah, Bush Push two thousand and five USC versus Notre Dame. Huge rivalry, huge drivery. I'm wearing the hat.
Speaker 2: I love it. I saw the content you did. You guys went out there.
Speaker 1: You and Brady Quinn walked through the bush. The Bush Push had.
Speaker 2: A lot of fun.
Speaker 1: You broke into the locker room, you did break an alarm went off.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we did awesome.
Speaker 1: So what does this game mean? Is this like your guys' biggest game sc Notre Dame.
Speaker 2: You know, it's interesting, it's it's a it's an it's a different kind of rivalry game because you have a lot of like UCLA is our rival, but I mean it really wasn't a rival when I was there, But that's the crosstown rival in the battle for La Notre Dame is so much bigger. It's historic. I don't know if it's not Michigan Ohio state, but it's an historic rivalry. And I wish I knew how it started, but it was pretty fascinated how it all started. I think it started between like the President's wife and someone else at the time, like thought the two should play or something, and like that's how it kicked off. But like the history of the titles, the Heisman's, the games, some of the performances, like it's just very unique. And that was my first time back since the Bush Bush game, so eighteen years. Obviously you're playing, you know, I don't go. I didn't never went to the game. And then my job now we hadn't covered a game at Notre Dame. So it was really it was really cool, man like. It was. It was cool to go back. I'd gone, I played there twice, but to walk the field with Brady to kind of relive this game, it was wild, man like. It was cool. It was It was cool to be back. A lot of changes or a lot of changes though, so it's tourf now, which sucks. It used to be it was long grass in your game.
Speaker 1: Was watching they hear it got hocked because of that long char.
Speaker 2: Was like, you know, Jared was like a four to seven guy. He couldn't. Well, they grew that out for Reggie, they grew dude. They we actually had like I think we had one of our kids towards a cl because the grass was along and one of their alignment toward their a cl. We were pissed. Were like, dude, the grass was like six or seven inches off the ground, and it was all just to try and slow down our offense. And obviously, I mean it worked at times, but Reggie went off that game still, so it didn't matter.
Speaker 1: It's kind of like when you play like that's what the Bears always did. Yeah, the Bear, Yeah, they keep that long grass. I'm I miss grass.
Speaker 2: Though, man. Yeah. So it's so that part was different, and you know, just to smell of grass and just like you're walking on it, it just feels different. Uh. So that was a little different. And then they added they just renovated the stadium, but it still had the same field. It's kind of like the I don't know if you've been to the Coliseum, but the USC's coliseum. They condensed and so they took out like twenty thousand seats, but they still have grass. It still has the same feel of the Bowl. But tell me what, man, you touchdown Jesus the history in that place. It was good to be back. It was good to be back. That's some good performances.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, a man with one point five national championships.
Speaker 2: Beat one point five? What are you talking about? But didn't you guys have you guys kind of co We split one, but we got screwed. I know.
Speaker 1: You know what the crazy thing is, we're kind of in that same age group. And I was in JUCO this year.
Speaker 2: I think when you guys were were you at Kent State?
Speaker 1: I went to Kent State the next year six oh six. It was my first year at Kent State, and I remember watching you guys in like the aura that you guys had as a college football team. It wasn't like a college football team. I sat there and I thought you guys were pros. And I was in the same age as you guys. I was like these guys.
Speaker 2: Dude, it was it was why so like at that time we got to remember too. So my first year was Pete's first year. We were awful. We were six and six, but you just felt it was gonna be different. I mean, he's still trucking along now, like fucking eighty years old, but he's still growing. But like, you just felt it was different. The staff was great. We had Carson obviously, who was great. The next year it just flipped. It was one year and we were we beat Iowa and the Orange Bowl, and then the next year was when I won the starting job. But to your point, it was like it was we always talk about this. There was no football then. Uh, Kobe and Shaq had just got off their three p I think Shaq had bounced. The Dodgers weren't great, the Kings weren't great. Like it was our town, like like La was our town. And Pete loved it.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 2: He enraged. Oh dude, he was like, why wouldn't I use this as my recruiting tool. It's this is our backyard, Hollywood entertainment, celebrity, the lifestyle, like let's go, come, come, come, I'm joining this ride with us, and he didn't it.
Speaker 1: Will Ferrell Snoop Dogg at practices. I would have signed instantly.
Speaker 2: Dude, Snoop is the best man. Snoop I threw passes this yeah, one on ones, He's out there running. He loved that. Dude we had. I'll tell you this story is one of the is one of my best stories, and so I think it was. It was right after I won the Heisman my junior year and I came back and in that timeframe the game. Remember the Rapper of the game. So he was a big a S fan. He's from uh I think he's from Compton, and he was a big reggie. He would come to the sideline come of the games. He asked me to be in his music video. It was Dreams. So it was like Serena Williams. There's a couple other athletes in there, and I was like, shoot, okay, let's do it. So I took Lindell White, I took my boy b Hans, who who's a backup quarterback, and we went over on the Sony lot and I'm walking in and I'm caring this big ass Heisman. I'm in like a gray hoodie and jeans, and we go and I see doctor Dre right when I'm walking in again worked twenty one years old. Dre's like hitting us up. And then we go into his, uh, his trailer, and it's like eight of his dudes in his trailer. You could imagine what that thing smelled like. But we're in there. I put the heisman on there and this dude is like heisman this, that, and I'm just sitting there with my boys. Lindell's probably lighting one up, you know, We're just sitting there do telling stories. It was the coolest thing and so the best part about it. We then shoot the music video and the funniest thing is I'm watching like this guy do a music video. It was cool and dreams like was one of his hits back then, and I'm in it and I'm like walking out of the fog with the heisman, and long story short, I never I didn't make the cut. I didn't make the cut of the video. He didn't put me in it. I was like, O game. I was here for like six hours. But it was the coolest day. Man. So that, Like, dude, that was the type of stuff we got to do. Man Like it was. It was nuts.
Speaker 1: So he grew up in Santa Anna, which is Orange County.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's not right I grew I didn't grow I grew up very uh. I mean I grew up in like right on the border of Santa Ana, Costa Mace. I grew up right by Modern Day in my high school, super just working middle class. My parents both worked full time jobs. You know, we didn't have a lot of money, but we you know, we went to My mom wanted to get us into private school. That was like she wanted us get us out of that district. So my brother went to Modern Day, which was five minutes away. He was five years older. And then they worked hard to get us there and that was that was it. Who was your who's your college team? Growing up Ucla? The Cade McNown era, Dude Cave McNown, JJ Stokes, Danny Farmer yeah, uh, Deshaunvoster and Deshaun Boss was a couple of years old. I mean he was a stud I loved cade McNown because he was a lefty and they were really good. So like, I got recruited heavily to UCLA. But when I went there, it's just like it was it was just a different feel man. And I got nothing against Ucla, I really don't, but it was just it was like Ucla, It's just like this place kind of sucks. It just felt boring, like it just felt boring, there's no energy. And then I was getting recruited by Paul Hackett. Don't know if you ever played for Paul or but it was Paul and Hugh Jackson when they were at s C. And even that energy was better, even though they were terrible. But Pete brought in, and Pete was with Sarkisian and Kiffin and this staff was loaded, and it just felt right even though we weren't good. I was just like, this is where I want to be. So Usilla was my team. But s see, it just it felt it felt uh it was I mean, it was the right decision.
Speaker 5: Geez.
Speaker 2: So let's get back to modern day. Modern day. You guys have three Heisman trophies. The only high school in America we have three with three and the third he's old. John Hewart, Yeah, John Hewart, John Hewart. Where do you go to school modern day? No college? Notre Dame. I think, are you getting what are you talking? No, dude, that's bad. That's a bad TV col Bran and rest in peace. I know it's my boy. He was. He was a monster at Hawaii. He was my backup at modern days. We were best friends and then yeah, he so he kind of, you know, he had his path. He started Colorado, then went to Juco, kind of got his life back in order, and he bawled at Juco. He walked on for June Jones at Hawaii and just balled like he was a ballar. Dude, like he was a baller, and he was runner up in the Heisman. So we played on my senior year. We went out to Hawaii and I was and we had I think we had a better something. We dropped seventy on him, dude, but he he balled. I mean it was like seventy to twenty or something. But he played.
Speaker 1: Okay, that's back when those Hawaii teams were just they were ing, dude, just dude the run and shoot manball sixty times a game and he was like the flag carrier for the dude. He So he got drafted to Washington, Washington like fifth or sixth round, and I remember I was so happy for him. Bald in the preseason and tore his hip up and his and he just never like he was I think he was third string, but he was balling. Got him might have been Shanahan at the time, Mike Shanahan and uh fit perfect kind of who what type of quarterback he was? And uh, he got hurt and I think he tore his laboram and his hip or something and he just never got back. But like I thought, he probably would have stuck around a little bit, dude, because he could. He could, he was accurate, he was smart, and then he just he had a lot of problems, dude, and just feel bad.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 1: Yeahstory was the first time you met Pete Carroll and you said Hugh Jackson was modern day, modern day Yeah, because he so I had so when chewing gum, probably he's drinking mountain dew and chewing gum.
Speaker 2: He came out. So when when Hackert got fired, I decommitted. And then actually Bob Stoops, who was at Fox for a while, Who's the Greatest Guy Oklahoma came in real hard and that was the year they won the title. They played Florida State and then Josh Hipel and they that they were they were awesome. So they were recruiting me and then I committed early to s ce DE. Committed because didn't know who the coach is going to be. Bob came in Hard Oklahoma, was like and I was like, it was pretty cool. But then I want to visit Okay, Yeah, but then I went to Norman. I was like shit, I was like, dude. I was like, bro, I'm sorry, man, but I can't go. I can't live in this place. I just it was like I was just couldn't. I couldn't go there. But I was like, I was fascinated. They were great, you know, but I'm like, I just can't see myself in Norman, Oklahoma. But the first time I met Pete was at MO today. He came to practice and just we threw the ball around and obviously he was trying to get me to commit there. Norm Chow came. That was a big reason why I stayed because Norm Chow his his history. He had just coached Philip Rivers and NC State, but he had like you know, all the guys at b Yu Detmer, Jim McMahon like he I mean, he was the quarterback guru. So yeah, that was the first time I met Pete Man probably chewing gum, freaking a dozen Mountain Dews a day.
Speaker 1: So you love you love so Norm Chow his son's my agent. Carter Chow really Carter Chow. Yeah, Carter Chow is one of my age and TV now in football, he's part of you and dubin sports, he's part of that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's a stud and the Hawaiian. Yes, so I know so Cam. I know Cam a little better because Cameron. It was in Manhattan Beach for a long time. Carter, I know a little bit. I haven't seen them in forever though. Norm actually just called me today, did he randomly? Yeah? I will, I will. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I just went out to Hawaiian and hung out with the family. They a little bit in the north. It's crazy.
Speaker 2: Now, tell us about this quarterback room rookie or freshman year? Freshman year?
Speaker 3: You got you?
Speaker 2: Carson Palmer? Who else? My Castle? Your boy? Did you play? You played with Cast?
Speaker 1: No, you didn't.
Speaker 2: That's how we met. Castle played with Welker. He played with Welker.
Speaker 1: But we met because I used to come out, remember and throw with you guys at beach because I linked up with Casts.
Speaker 2: So my freshman doing TV too? No, I love cast. Talk talk about a career dude, Jesus Carson Castle me. Billy Hart was the other freshman that came in. Billy ended up getting drafted by the Yankees like sixth, like tenth round or something. Played baseball for a while, just I mean, just a clown show. It was awesome because Carson's like, I mean, you know, Castle Castles just well, Carson used to come out and throw with this too. And Carson's kind of Carson is like I always tell everybody he's like the driest sense of humor. But he's he's like, he's the funniest dude. He's sneaky funny man. He's just because like he's not like super social, but when like, he's just sneaky funny man. And Castle is the opposite. Castle is just a clown.
Speaker 1: The first time I met Castle, I don't know how it came up, but he got a piece of paper and he drew through three guys. He drew him Tom Brady and Vinnie Testaverdi. Do you know where this story is going. No, he drew him with a medium sized dick, Tom with a decent sized dick, and then he just threw that went off the fucking page. For Vinnie testaverdy and that's the first thing he ever. I'm like, I've heard of you, Matt Castle, but why are you telling me about any testa bird he's done? Like, that's the first thing he told me.
Speaker 2: That's something. Does it not surprise you? So we you know, we'd be sitting at practice and I'd be you know, uh, this was my probably my first two the second year too. I'd be taking a knee, you know, like leaning on the helmet as whatever, and he would just come over and just hawk a fucking loogie on my calf, just just like that. And I and I would I would just I would put like I would get big old boogers and just throw them in his helmet. All this ship we did the stupidest stuff, man, But you know, locker room ship. But Castle and Castle and Carson would wrestle Monday or Tuesday every week. And and both those dudes are big dudes, like Castle bay ass legs and Carson just a big human being. And they would go at it. And I don't know if you've ever wrestled, but they would wrestle for like three minutes straight, which they're just like they're like dead dude. He used to wrestle with Brady. Yeah, probably probably the same at He's just he's an idiot and the best idiot way. I love that. He's a fun guys, is he's the best. Now, first time you met Reggie, uh, probably his recruiting trip. Should I remember seeing his highlights? I don't know if you, guys, I mean San Diego, right, I remember? Yeah? So he was he You know whose quarterback was?
Speaker 7: I do?
Speaker 1: Once you say Alex Smith, Alex Smith, I knew that helix.
Speaker 2: There were two. There were like three highlight I don't know. We used to do this the recruiting class coming in Pete would show like all of the recruits our highlight video and the three I'll never forget. Well, Brian Cushing's was ridiculous because he was returning puns, playing running back. Linebacker. Uh, Jeff Byers was our center. He was the number one he he never he actually never really he started a little bit, but he was the number one lineman in the country from Colorado, I think. And this dude was just a monster. And then Reggie and Reggie's highlight was like, holy shit, dude, this kid like that run every it was just he was he was he was a highlight. He was a video game and that's how it was. Like the first day probably recruiting trip. And then I remember so his first year, so he is one year behind me, so I still wasn't playing. Was that playing? Oh? I think I was playing. I think I was a red shirt sophomore and his his true freshmener, so I was two years ahead of him. And he came in and actually, dude, he was like kind of like second third string of we had three backs. We had Lendell who was a baller, and we had Chauncey Washington who actually was was on the depth chart right behind Herschel Dennis going in and Reggie was kind of like Scatt kind of used him in return, but he wouldn't go He would go in like third. But we knew in practice, were like, dude, this kid, he's just reversing field like and our defense was nasty. They couldn't tackle him, they couldn't get to him. He was I say this openly, like he's the best I think, best college football player I've ever seen. There's a lot of debate, obviously, but what he did and like the most electric by far, I think him and like Mike Vick. You know, like those are the two at least in that Williams could be throwing. I mean there's a lot of guys I just think, like, but overall, what Reggie did, like you just can't like. Reggie was just like he was a human highlight film man.
Speaker 1: Who's the one guy in the team that needs a little more love that that his name gets passed around a little? What do you mean who no one really talks about? Because when you think of those teams, on those teams, we think about you, Reggie Bush. You think about some of the d guys, but it's usually you.
Speaker 2: And Reggie Bush. I think Lindell White, Lindell White. I mean I receive like well, I also say, you remember Mike Williams. M hm, dude, that was the most dominant dude I've ever seen. What do you get? He went to Detroit, he was he went he overall or so, he was like ninth or tenth. So they had just drafted I mean they were that was a bad years to be in Detroit, but they had they drafted Charles Rogers the year before, so they drafted two receivers back to back, remember that. And then he bounced around he went to Oakland, Seattle a little bit.
Speaker 7: He was.
Speaker 2: He was unbelievable. I think Lendel White is the one, just because he gets overshadowed by Reggie. I'm telling you what, like one of the best pure football players. You know, you play with just pure guys at any level, Like and Quombolton, to me was like the best pure football player I've ever played with. Like just this dude could start at safety. Received he was just a football player. Lendell was like that man, Like he was so naturally good. He didn't have to try at all. That was probably part of his downfall a little bit. He just didn't try as hard, probably as he got older. But he was. He was special man, and he was a big Without him, we don't win those those titles. Short yardage dude, he but he was. He was two forty four or five four, six broke tackles, quick pick up blitzes. He just did everything. Man.
Speaker 5: This season, he had fifteen and twenty one total yards and.
Speaker 2: Scread I think he's our twenty sixty. I think it is the all time touchdown leader at USC. He's got like sixty something.
Speaker 5: Right total, He's got fifty seven fifty.
Speaker 2: Seven and by the way, well, by the way, what's up. Yeah, Reggie, it's mad a lot because we big down on the five and they put Lendel and Lendell had like twenty touchdowns inside the five. Reggie, get us down there. But now, Lendell was a stud man. He's probably the one that gets people kind of like, oh, I remember how good he was? You know, yeah he was. He was a beach. He was just such a good one two punch. Did this dude? So we play Oklahoma and the Orange Bowl and that was the year we won. He had a spraining ankle like end of the season, so he didn't practice. He was you know, he just kind of didn't. He kind of showed up when he wanted to. He didn't practice all bowl season, proby three weeks. Showed up at the game two fifty five, two fifty five. He's like six two two fifty five and ran for like a buck fifty on him and looked like he was running a four to four and didn't practice one time. It was like it was honestly one of the greatest performers I've ever seen.
Speaker 1: So what what made Norm Chowell's offense is so electric? Was it you guys obviously had players, but we oh Wes West Coast.
Speaker 2: It fit me really well, getting the ball, fast timing, you know, play action stuff, bootleg stuff, and then we just did We had dogs, man, we had we had those recruiting classes, those handful even after I left for a couple of years. I mean that run from like two to ten, probably nine, eight or nine years was unbelievable. Like the he left, you guys when became the head coach of Titans. He left at the he left at a very opportune time for himself. Oh Chile, you're talking about yeah, oh oh, Child left. Yeah, so Child left, I was talking about Pete. Pete left right before all the ship went down. Child left my senior year. So he took the OC job with the Titans with Jeff Fisher. But it was it was fine, like because Sark and Kiffin then became. Sark was my QB coach and then Kiffin was the OC. They were co ocs, but we didn't I mean, we didn't skip a beat. Obviously they were. I mean they're really good. So so you guys are essentially like, like you said, there was no LA Pro team at the time.
Speaker 1: You guys were the pro team. Now, what was the best part of it? Obviously going to all the club what was the worst part of it?
Speaker 2: I think, you know, for me personally, I think looking back, the perception that gave me as I went into the NFL, I think for sure, I don't. I always say I've said this, like, I don't think I helped my cause a lot. But I also like, wasn't like what everyone thought. I was. Like, we were in college. We worked our ass off, we won, we played at a high level. We just were like, that's just that was the life we had, dude, Like we would go anywhere. We were treated like celebrities. We could get into any club. At eighteen, we were living like normal college kids that in that city, in Hollywood, because that's just all we had. Yes, he's a terrible college town. We weren't like either we were going to a frat party who they hated us because we were the king of the town, or we go to a Hollywood club where we can get in and like drink and whatever, you know, Like so and we weren't. It's not like we were going out that much. We just when we went out, we went out, you know, Like and so I think the worst part was just how that perception carried with me in the NFL. It wasn't obviously, and again, like I said, I made mistakes. But I mean the best part is I mean, the best part is what I said. Man, we just I mean, the stories I could tell for days. Man, it was freaking awesome.
Speaker 1: Weill this what's your what's the wildest celebrity encounter that you had at one of those clubs?
Speaker 2: My my Nicholas, she was like one of my best friends. Is kind of funny how we met.
Speaker 7: But.
Speaker 2: Dude, we I just like we would we would hang with like DiCaprio, we would hang with because in that in that time, there was no camera phones and that was like the top of the club game because everyone would go out because no one there was no one. I mean, I don't even I think a camera phone might have came out a couple of years later, but there was no worry. You know, you had security, no one was taking pictures of it. You could just do whatever the hell you want. Kid Rock I was I remember boozing one night heavy with Kid Rock. I was like I was like twenty. It's just like it was just it was like it was just random in the offseasons, every time you went out, you just ran into people and you just and they knew us, you know, and like, and then our boys ran the club, so they would set us up with the best table next to whoever was there. So you would just I mean, you know it is you would just mingle and it was just wild, dude, It was it. And the wild part about it was it just felt it was just super normal for us for those years. Yeah, Kyler, wrap up this dynasty? What else we got? Okay?
Speaker 5: So I just want to like throw out some quick stats on this. Pete Carroll era at USC, the uc' dynasty from two thousand and one to two thousand and nine. The Trojans went ninety seven and nineteen. There's a two thousand and three AP national title, two thousand and four national title against Oklahoma, and then two thousand and five lost the national championship game in Texas, which is probably the best best game of all time. And I can't wait to do that one here at some point.
Speaker 1: Do have a we have a huge Texas fan that wants to do that game.
Speaker 2: Dude. We get vy here? Why is the best? Who vincientzin now? And we were think Vince, we do Vince two.
Speaker 1: His last name rhymes with uh McConaughey, McVay chamane.
Speaker 2: They rhymes with that. Is that McConaughey. I don't know. I'm just saying, if we lock it, if you get McConaughey, or I'll coming back because I'll talk smack to him.
Speaker 5: All right, book it seven?
Speaker 2: All right, all right, all right.
Speaker 5: Seven consecutive Pack ten titles, thirty three straight weeks at number one, which is wild. From two thousand and three two thousand and five, finished top four in the eight peo pole for six straight years, three out of four Heisman winners from two thousand and two to two thousand and five, Palmer, Liner and Bush. Fourteen players select in the first round during that time, and twenty eight players selected in the first two rounds NFL Draft. That's the USC dynasty.
Speaker 2: Incredible, dude. And then from twenty ten to like twenty it was like nobody. So that was the Pack ten or twelve whatever we were. How sad is that we were Pack ten? I remember you guys, Packed ten. It's sad, But they only have their cell themselves to blame.
Speaker 1: They really do stupid, so smug pac Ten was always smug. We gotta get you, We got to get you in the college space a little bit.
Speaker 6: You know.
Speaker 1: No, dude, No, we can't write, can't stay, don't belong. You can't read, you can't write, can't stay, can't We just don't.
Speaker 2: No, you're a crossover. You're a crossover.
Speaker 1: It's tough.
Speaker 2: No, it's not. I got you. Although that's how I feel in the NFL, I'm like, God, you know, I don't. I don't think I fit in the NFL, that I'm more suited for college. Yeah, you fake it till you make it. Man, we'll get you. We'll get you on the show. Dude, they would go nuts for you. Are you kidding me? You know what?
Speaker 1: I honestly, I got so mad. I didn't understand. Call it like where I grew I grew up in the Bay, so we used to like I used to like to high school Woodside. Nothing big part of the Bay though, because Peninsula right by Palo Alto. So when I grew up, there was Stanford in Berkeley, like whatever, you go to those games.
Speaker 2: It wasn't like a crazy college.
Speaker 1: I mean that was they were both of them were pretty good. Aaron he was bawling over there. But then I went to I went to Ohio. I went to Kent State, and people used to get up and leave our game to go watch the Ohio State game, you know, like that. I didn't realize how big Ohio State was until I went to I didn't know college football. You know, you don't get that environment when you live in the Bay Area.
Speaker 2: Dude, why don't we get you to Michigan Ohio State. You're hot, you're an Ohio native. Ish yeah, ish, but then cub will be there. You guys fly back at the same time.
Speaker 1: But you know, I'm also come on, I'm also kind of bluey because the guy I used to toss me the rock.
Speaker 2: I think he might. We always usually try to get him on the show. Maybe he'll come on the show. We'll see if his schedule allows him. Yeah, let's go back. What's he doing now?
Speaker 1: I think he's just buying teams and being a dad buying teams.
Speaker 2: Delta consultant coming, He's coming to Fox right the Fox at some point. Maybe, I hope I'm here it's fifty to fifty. I don't know. No, he's I heard he's been working. You know, if he jumps into it. I know, yeah, he jumps in. He'll be good, He'll be good.
Speaker 1: We'll be right back. After this quick break, let's go back to October fifteenth, two thousand and five. This is a segment we do. We try to live in that moment. The best movie was The Fog. I don't even remember this movie, you did. I'm not a scary I'm not a scary movie guy.
Speaker 2: I do. I do remember that. I do remember the movie.
Speaker 1: I remember Gold Digger by Kanye West.
Speaker 2: I still remember that. Yeah, yep, by the way, by the way though Twilight, huge Twilight fan. No shame in my game day Edward or the other one Team Edward or Team That's good. Oh no, no, the Wolf did the Wolves. I was Team Edward really a little bit. I used to love you. Don't strike me as a Team Edward guy, I know, but my sister liked him, and I kind of like, I don't get I didn't get the I mean that I don't think he's a good looking dude. I didn't really get the hype around him, but.
Speaker 1: I think it was he was like the goth cool kid, you know, like against the grain.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, I was definitely the wolves.
Speaker 5: I used to.
Speaker 1: I loved those houses because when those movies came out, I mean, I'm a I'm a I'm a movie guy. I didn't read the books. They used to have such cool houses in like the Upper Northwest. Oh, like the modern House in the forest. Yeah, no, those are good movies. I'd actually rewatched those movies.
Speaker 2: I like those movies.
Speaker 1: What we got in sports the sports world first international game Arizona defeat San Francisco and Mexico City.
Speaker 2: We played in Mexico City? Did you how was that? I didn't play? Actually, what years it hurt my knee? What year is that? Seventeen? But we went out there. What year did you get drafted? You got dry nine and then you retired in twenty twenty. Hell of a career, dude, it was, it was. It was a good one. I remember, dude, when we train you and your long hair, and I remember, and that was when you were backing up kind of west right. You were kind of like following his mold. I remember, dude. I was like this kid, I was a kid because you were we were young. I was like, dude, this kid's gonna be good. Dude, Like he's like he's got it man, and you freaking you just took off, Dude. I worked hard and oh yeah, no, I know it was dude, it was fun. It was fun.
Speaker 1: But that Mexico City, that that the altitude's at like ninety eight hundred feet?
Speaker 7: Is it?
Speaker 2: It is? People don't know that that our stadium. I heard Mexico City is kind of a cool, insane, so we did.
Speaker 1: I did a documentary there to promote the game, and then I ended up tearing my knee up. But we went out there and spent a week in Mexico. Mexico City was so fun, culture, the food was amazing, went to hot Do you wa con?
Speaker 2: You didn't play in London? I did?
Speaker 5: Did you?
Speaker 1: I did play?
Speaker 2: Say you guys in London? We went to London twice? Did you like that? Honestly?
Speaker 1: I had a blast because we with a lot of beer. No, we're a domestic sport and so they treatd They just were so excited, right, Not really, It's just it was exciting for us because you get to have.
Speaker 2: That that That's not a terrible flight for you guys.
Speaker 1: No, it was like six and a half hours, but the sleep schedule did get messed out. I wasn't used to going, you know, out of the country at that time. But yeah, London was cool. The grass was super long.
Speaker 2: Though. I bet those fans are not speaking of the Cardinals. Can we talk about Dennis Green the greatest rant of all time? We were? They were?
Speaker 1: Who was?
Speaker 2: You know the backstory of that? Okay, So my rookie year, we played the Bears third game of preseason. Third game. Starters play most of the game, right, first half at least. And so I start that game and we're in Chicago and we beat them. And that was the year they went to the Super Bowl. Er Lacker, Lance Briggs, I mean they were they were stating their defense and nasty Pina Tillman. Yeah, their their d line was was really good. Tommy Harris I think was there, and uh, we just we outplayed them. We beat them, and we're like and so when we played that game, we were one in three or four. My first start was the week before and we missed a field goal to win against the Chiefs. Ty Lob you play with tie, No, he picked me off in that game, but we should have won that game. And then the next week was Monday Night football and it was like first time we were on Monday Football for years, and we knew going to that game, like we could beat this team. They five an hour front of but we're like they had sexy, rexy, like they went on a run, but they had a great defense. Their offense was average, and we came out smoking, dude, like we were up twenty one to three or something like that, and then we took the foot off the pedal. They started making some plays and then freaking Devin Hester ran one back to go up with like four minutes left, and then a minute and a half left, we drive down and we get a field goal arranged twin and we miss again. We missed two field goals back to back games to lose. So then I get so then the postgame conference and Denny and I'm sitting the funny the funny thing isn't and Mark Dalton is still the pr guy there, and so I'm standing outside with Mark and all I hear is they are they thought they were? We let them off the hook. You want to crown them, crown the ass and Teddy was Eddy was awesome, dude, And I'm just sitting there like and I'm still pissing, like, holy shit, dude, like, I gotta follow this. So and then Mark's like you hear Mark's like, all right, next up is Matt Leonard's walk in there. I'm like, you know, And I was a rookie dude, so I didn't really say much. I was pretty quiet, like you know whatever, and that was it man, and he we were. He was so angry because we I mean, we should have won that game we had him doing. We just we choked it away.
Speaker 1: It's got to be crazy for you, a guy that comes from the most talented team probably in college football history at those at that time, then going to a team.
Speaker 2: We had so we had, we had Larry and we had an Kwan and that's what we had, two of the best to ever do it. Larry certainly and then and Kurt was there, who eventually resurrected his career. We weren't, I mean we were. We had some good players that year. We had Like even my rookie year, I played pretty well and we were like, okay, and then I heard my ac the last game of the year against San Francisco Jo Joint. But yeah, and it was like Mile and Alex Guerrero took care of me. But it was like grade twos, but I was it was like I think it was a second to last game, so but I was playing well whatever, and then okay, then the off season, then Danny gets fired, new coaching staff comes in, and that's where for me personally went all downhill. So like to get drafted there was one thing, but like showed a lot of promise. And then that second year, I was coming off the injury, so I didn't really have a good offseason, and then I was I was OTA's I was finally healthy and stuff. But it just it just was like from the get go, just this dude, and like you know you've been around coaches like you just I was screwed from day one, like I felt like and again I didn't help myself at times, but like there was nothing I could do right. It's tough when you're it was first ruined me a quarterback that the coaching staff gets fired who probably went on you know, on the table for you, and then all of a sudden they're bringing in someone else and it's it's almost like they can't.
Speaker 1: They're like, we gotta go somewhere else because it buys that coaching staff more time.
Speaker 2: Well, and we had Kurt Warner who had already won a Super Bowl, so like to Glove Kurt Warner at the time, Glove, I went dude. At one point I went to two Gloves because this dude, I was pissed, like, so I got I was there four years, so like year three, so year two we split time. The first six games, I broke my collarbone out. For the year year three we had a duel. He beat me out, and then that's the year we went to the Super Bowl. But that was also the year where I'm like, so he was two Gloves always and I'm like, dude, you're screwing me because he would use brand new balls and those brand new balls, I couldn't throw a brand new ball, and like I don't have I have big hands, but I don't have super big hands. I'm like, dude, you're gonna make me go to Gloves dude, because I couldn't. Like, he did not give a shit, and I tried to get him like, hey, can we get some of these old balls in there and just like this in case I have to go in and he was like, hey, whatever, but most of them were So I went to Two Gloves a couple of times I felt like an idiot. I actually threw the ball right in it, but I was like, what come on, dude, I look, I already looked bad enough in my uniform. You're gonna make me wear these nasty ass nikes. I tried two gloves after that for a while. Did you know the ball quite a bit? When I was you used two.
Speaker 1: Gloves because we used to have like crazy weather games. Yeah, and I felt like when you did, you could you could get really good some tripical force on the ball. You could spin it.
Speaker 2: I didn't, I to be honest with you, like, but I.
Speaker 1: Felt like sometimes it would stick in your hand. Yeah, and so sometimes you you'd be dead accurate with it, but.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and it's sticked too long and yeah. Yeah, it felt that I actually didn't throw too bad in him. I didn't mind it. It just I was just like, dude, this looks awful. What was gonna say?
Speaker 3: Was I? I?
Speaker 2: The year I got my mojo back was in Houston with Kubiak. Yeah, and it was like I was with Orlovsky, I was with Shob and then you're six. Did k have all the answers then?
Speaker 8: Too?
Speaker 2: He's the same as on TV's the same as he was then. Uh, but we had a fun we had that was about what he knows football. He was always like he should be I bet he'll be a coach one day. Although I know he likes he likes the freedom, yes, but Kubiak was so like Shanahan and like that tree. It just it went back to my college days. It just it felt right here was that That was eleven and twelve out of the year.
Speaker 1: Was that the year you guys came to our house in Letterman Jackets Houston. No Houston came one year in let like the whole team had a mantra. Now where Letterman Jackets no Fu we were we never I think we beat him, like forty eight to three year student.
Speaker 2: The only time I ever came to New England was preseason my rookie year, and dude, I'll never forget. It was week two and week one I was still holding out for my contract. So Week two was the first time I met New England. And it's Willie Mack. It's junior I think Bruski. It was like, you know, like those defenses were nasty and I think I played against him a little bit. I actually played pretty well the game that was the only time. And then the year Tom went out with the ACL you probably weren't there yet. It was oay before Yeah, right before he went out, cast Dog beat us and West went off. It was a snow game and they beat us like forty one to ten. And actually I actually came in afterw a touchdown to the Larry that game. They were down thirty points. That threw a go route to many. Kyle's pretty sweet. But that was a year we ended up going to the Super Bowl. Yeah, we were eight and eight. We went to the playoffs eight and eight, and we just made a freaking run. Dude, you gotta get hot at the right time. We started with the home game because we won our division, so we played I think we played Green Bay or Atlanta, so we had a good matchup there. And then Philly was the one seed or two seeds. They lost to Carolina, but we had whooped Carolina that year at Carolina, so we're like, like it's set up perfect. Oh no, no, no, no, no, that's our Carolina. We went and then we hosted Philly in the NFC Championship and we had the perfect run to get to the playoff or it's a Super Bowl. We should have won the Super Bowl. We lost Corner. Well, we got Kyler.
Speaker 5: The Letterman Jacket game was in twenty twelve.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so I was gone. Yeah Texas they were Letterman Jacket.
Speaker 5: Yeah Texas. The Texans went to New England in Him and Jackets. They lost forty.
Speaker 2: They always had good teams, but we had well that was we were playoffs. I mean the two years I were there, we were we lost to Baltimore. Dude, both years at Baltimore, I mean they were just they were rocking. But we had Aaron Foster was a beast those years. Andre Johnson Demico Ryans was our middle linebacker.
Speaker 1: Miko what a what a stud he's been doing. I meanmember, I'm so like happy for him.
Speaker 2: I'm happy for CJ. Stroud. We we covered him in college and he's he's he's from He's from out this way, kind of tough upbringing, you know, like just family stuff and like really good kid. Man. I got to I got to talk to him a bunch in Ohio State and just he just like he just wanted to be great. He's kind of soft spoken, great leader, but uh, you know, felt a lot of pressure at Ohio State. There just and like I I was rooting for a man and he's been balling. Dude. Yeah, like he's playing playing his tail off man.
Speaker 1: It's it's impressive to see. We'll be right back after this quick break.
Speaker 3: Games Just his Names is doing a live show, and you guys bought so many tickets so gostar and fast that we are adding a second show. Come hang with us August thirtieth that the Wilbur Theater in Boston. Pre sale tickets are available today February eighth at ten am Go to the Wilbur dot com and use the promo code GWN. They're moving fast, so don't wait. I'll see you folks there over in Boston.
Speaker 4: Let's go.
Speaker 1: Games and Names is brought to you by my friends at win Bet. Win bet is bringing the excitement of win Las Vegas and Encore Boston Harbor to online sports betting. Whether you're a recreational player or a serious handicapper, win bet is your ticket to every exciting wager, from straight up bets to parlays, teasers, or any prop bet you can dream up. All players have access to win rewards and can redeem them for win resort credit in Las Vegas and Boston. Sign up today and get in the game online, or visit Boston's sportsbook at Encore Boston Harbor. There's no better way to enjoy sports than with some extra winnings in your pocket. Betting is a team sport. Join the win bet team and bet with the best.
Speaker 4: Must be twenty one or older and present in the state where playthrough win bet is available. Terms and conditions at winbet dot com. If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, call it one eight hundred five to two to two, four to seven zero zero.
Speaker 2: Let's set the stage for this game.
Speaker 5: So two thousand and five Notre Dame fighting Irish. This was the first year of the Charlie Weiss era. Charlie Weiss Notre Dame had hope to sign Urban Meyer, but they were able to get Charlie Weiss from three Soup Bowls from the Patriots. Kind of somewhat famously, Weis told his players every game, you will have a decided schematic advantage. That was his quote there. They started the season unranked. They were four and one leading up to the Bush Push game, with one lost to Michigan State ranked number nine in the country at the time. Some notble names, Charlie Wiss as we mentioned, Brady Quinn quarterback, Jeff Smarja wide receiver, and Thomas Zibakowski the boxer, the boxer safety.
Speaker 2: He was such a cool dude, Zibokowski. I don't know if he met him, but he was the beast dude. I was like a fan of him. Some mars are pitching in the big leagues for like twelve years, twelve and he was a baller receiver too, insane.
Speaker 1: I remember him always catching deep post rides.
Speaker 2: He was six ' five dude, and like he just yeah, I told you, just still go routes to the guy. He because he could jump. He was He was a good receiver, man.
Speaker 1: I mean, that's the smart way to do it. Though he probably has a lot more money and a lot less pain right now.
Speaker 2: So he was making like ten MILLI a year just pitching like every five days bullpen too. I know, I wish I would have done that. Set the stage.
Speaker 5: We already kind of set the stage for the Irish shaw so Us two thousand and five USC Trojans. They were coming off an undefeated season, having beat Oklahoma fifty five nineteen in the two thousand and four National Championship game, Matt, you won the Heisman.
Speaker 7: Uh.
Speaker 5: They were riding a twenty two game win streak. Fourteen returning starters from the twenty fourteen team. I think a lot of those on offense. The number one ranked team coming into the year. Notable coaching change, as we mentioned, Norm Child left the Titans coach coach o to Ole miss Uh brought in Steve Farkis as QB coach, and Link Kiffin was elevated to OC Noble names peak. You don't need the noble names. We all know the USC notable names.
Speaker 2: Geez, let's get into there. So yeah, you get into the game. First half terrible. You guys are kind of battling. You guys scored first, they're they're leading at half time. Dude, I played awful that game, awful up until like one the last play. Why I was played bad, dude, just it was my It was we had struggled against Arizona State a couple weeks prior, by knocked out of that game. I couldn't see straight. I stayed in, but it just for me. I'll never forget. I felt the pressure of coming back and it wasn't even about winning a Heisman. I know it was gonna want it was like just trying to win a third championship. But just I just felt pressure that year to be great, Like I had to be great. People like you were gonna be the number one pick if you came out. I was like, I don't think I was. I wasn't healthy, I didn't feel right. So there's just a lot of pressure that I kind of put upon myself to like have to lead this team. So you didn't go back. You came back because you thought so I was supposed dude, So I mean, you know how it works. But it was me Alex Smith and Aaron Rodgers and I had just came off the great performance in the Orange Bowl and so like kind of riding that wave, and I had a messed up elbow I ended up getting surgery on and that was a part of it. And also honestly, I just I just don't want to leave school, Like I'm like, I love what we're doing. Truthfully, Like I had just graduated, so I had to take one class my senior year ballroom ballroom dancing dude. So I took that with Mark Sanchez. By the way, san Chito, san Chito, he was a true freshman. But anyway, so Notre Dame. Okay, so they were good, like it was. It was it was a first. I told this to Brady that not too long ago, we got off the bus on i think Friday, like Friday, walk through, go to the stadium, screw around a little bit, and there was like six hundred students waiting for us, and so the story goes. He told me, He's like, you know why they were there. I was like why, He's like they had a pep rally the night before. They said, heyes, he's getting here at two o'clock. We need to show out, talk shit, do whatever you need to do, like screw with them. So we get out. A Notre Dame is not really like it's not really like a hostile environment, you know, like it's a it's a cool place to play, but it's not like probably playing in the SEC or some of these crazy atmospheres. But that year was And we get out and I'll never forget Sark's like Sark takes me like kind of by my shoulder and he's like walking me through. They made a tunnel for us, but they're just like signs, talking shit, flipping us off. It was awesome, dude. I'm like, yeah, this is gonna be fun. So that's when I knew. Right when I got off the bus, I'm like, this is gonna be a battle. Because they were good too, like they like they could have easily beaten us. Obviously, that was when I knew. It was like, all right, this is gonna be a game. And then the game, man, it just started slow, dude, Like it was just kind of like one of those games, like feeling each other out. The second half picked up for sure, Like the second half was more back and forth. The first half was just slow. It was just one of those things.
Speaker 1: And then the one thing that stands out to me, let's just talk about that last drive, because you guys are going back and forth. You guys weren't playing that great, and that could be because of rivalry. I mean it was a hostel environment. You got touchdown, they had a punt return to Zibakowski over here boxing and returning punch for we got let's walk let's walk down this last.
Speaker 2: Drive that you guys had.
Speaker 5: Before we go to the last drive, I want to touch on one thing that note that Notre Dame did switchero stupid they did.
Speaker 2: So they they came out in their traditional blue or their dark navy for pregame. When they went back in and they didn't break you said they didn't know. It was a surprise. So I think they've worn maybe the green jerseys a handful of times, right, but prior to that, for like matchups or I think when it was the number one team in the country, maybe.
Speaker 5: They also have not to cut you off. They have they're kind of street killers a little.
Speaker 2: Bit, so there was something of something behind it. So they after pregame, they go in and Brady's like, all of our green jerseys were hanging, so they were like, let's go, Like there was you know, it was like just totally amp and them up. Motivation is D two the Mighty Ducks. You're back kind of right, dude.
Speaker 1: Remember that when they became Team USA and they.
Speaker 2: Come out in the second half. Dude, by the way, top top five sport movie of all time. Uh yeah, So then they come out in the green jerseys and we're like, oh my god, I just hate Notre Damn Dude. I still hate Notre Dame. Just a bunch of Aragon assholes. But that's fine. That's for another story. So that just that just was like, screw these guys. But okay, the drive. So Brady scores with what two minutes left?
Speaker 7: Right?
Speaker 2: It was a couple of minutes two four, and obviously plenty of time. We had a couple timeouts or one time out. At least you guys have that third you guys, I remember twenty third. I remember every played do the first play cover two it was like a comeback turned to a fade. It was not open, so I threw it out of bounds. Second play, I get sacked. Second and twenty or yeah, I get sacked. So now it's third and twenty and we call time out. Hit Reggie and I'm on the sideline and they're like, I don't know what play we called at that point, but we're like, if it's not there, just check down to Reggie. Obviously it's for that. We're going for it and four down. Let's try and get half back. A little check down here. How is the guy's eyes in the huddle when you're calling this player? Are we are? We dialed locked in? And I'll get to that. It was. It was. It was one of the coolest and you've been in huddles like that for sure. Super Bowl game winning drives, like we just knew, Like it was just one of those things where you didn't even have to say anything. It was just like we've kind of been there, dude. We had a couple comebacks in this time. Everyone thinks we blow everybody out. There were a couple games were like, hey we got we got a fourth quarter, we got to step up. Yeah, it just we just it was pretty cool. So third and twenty we get eleven back. So then I think we might call time out again. I think, yeah, it was another timeout because we yeah, it was another thing. Was our last time out we call I'll never forget trouble right sixty one? Sam why option? All right? So it was trips right, So front tight end dominic Birder's good was running an option round right around the sticks cover to Steve Smith, who was great. It was gonna run a kind of post split the safety kind of high low there, and then if it's single high, Dwayne runs our backside comeback, which he was great at. And that was the matchup always liked anyway. And then Reggie's out on a little option route. But they said, hey, if you see any single high. Let's let's check the slug go win. Old school slug go win was our bread and butter. And I don't think it was it. It might have been Zibakowski, but so okay. So the part of the huddle, so I come in and I swear to god, dude, it was the loudest had ever been in and Notre Dame's not traditionally loud. But I couldn't hear myself talk, and everybody is just you could just see it. Everybody's just like laser focused. I'm like trouble. I'm yelling troubro. I see someone saying, hey, look for my hands. I'm gonna I'm gonna check the slogo win if I see this, look whatever. And at the line of scrimmage, I don't even think like I'm getting goosebumps just thinking about it. I don't even think they heard me fucking say hi, dude. They it was like, you know, dude, when all eleven or on like the same page. To make a play to win a freaking game, or to make a play like that is like nothing better in football my opinion. Everybody does their job, especially especially in a moment like that. So like Yeah, the throw gets a lot of credit, but the line, like every we checked didn't hear shit, everyone's slid protection blocked Dwayne just right over the shoulder, boom out the gate for sixty. Then gott it got howked because if it would scored been like over a minute left, they probably wouldn't. The probably would have came down and scored on us. But that moment, man, it was like it was just like looking back, you know, Ei, there's a little nerve You're like, shit, we gotta make this play live, but like just never a doubt. It just felt like never a doubt.
Speaker 1: Then you guys go in and you guys get to the red area.
Speaker 2: So we get to the red area, Reggie had a really good third down. That's that's the play people forget about because we had no timeouts. Let it was like third and four and we ran eight seconds or something. Yes, so we ran like a little like outside zone and he got the first down by like a yard and so then the football it stopped. It stopped so then we could huddle. So that was a play. And then the next play we go scramble. Is when I scrambled and I fumble and that was fu were you terrified? And then dude, I was like When I look back, I'm like, dude, like I was a pretty good athlete. Just jump like three inches higher and I score. Like I would literally watch that play a thousand times, and I'm like embarrassed because I could like I could dunk back then, like I was like a sneaky good like kind of lazy hop I could dunk a little bit. But you know, and I look back at that play and I'm just like, what an embarrassment that was. But I fune no clue where the ball went. I kind of got you know, pirouidic like that clock goes out due well, okay, So I do remember getting up and I see the ref like right next to me going like this, like clock stopped out of bounds with obviously I think they put seven seconds on but with like three seconds on the clock. And the next thing I know is they're storm in the field Charlie Weiss on the jumbo tron, and I'm just like, what just happened? I just lost the game? Literally in my mind, I'm like but then then they start circling up and I'm like, no, the ball's out of bounce. So then I'm like, okay, we're good. So then the bush push so it's pretty cool. So the cock y Yeah, So they're all just commotion there while everyone's getting off the field. We're kind of like, right the line of scrimmage, seven seconds left and our I should have clocked it for sure. Our clock signal was always a built in quarterback wedge, no matter what. So the linemen always block QB sneak, whether I sneak at or clock it regardless. Obviously they kind of know in the time of the game or whatever. But I I had told him up there, because there was like a minute there where I'm going to Pete like, hey, this was our sign. You want me to like you want me to do it? He's like do it like whatever. So I'm like, fuck it, dude, I'm doing it. So, Reggie, did he do that to you?
Speaker 1: Think Russell Wilson and in the Super Bowl with us?
Speaker 2: I mean, he's not the worst call of all time? How about how about dude? How about Marshawn just calling him out? I love I love Marshall. Right after that, all the linemen are standing up and Reggie comes up to me and I go, what, I go, dude, I think I'm gonna do it. What's trying to do? He's like, I got you. That was it. It was like a two second thing. I get up, dude, and you could see there, dude, Zibekowski's right over the a block a gap. This guy is gonna box punch me in the face as I'm trying to sneak all these big dudes. I had no business trying to sneak that play. I was on the one and a half one yard line. All I remember, dude is falling, falling in the end zone. I didn't even remember. I didn't feel Reggie pushed me. I'm thinking I get up. I'm like, might have shed a tear. Oun't even know what's going on. I'm like this. And then after the game, Reggie, Reggie, I think there's a video of Reggie comes on and he goes, you know, I pushed your ass in, right, And I'm like, yeah, yeah, yeah. I had no clue, dude, So like the bush push became that after, but I had no clue he pushed me in because dude, it was just like there's like fifty bodies on me. Dude, I had no idea I got in. And now Philadelphia uses everywhere with push Pushed you. That's where it originated from. So he did that play with Stafford in Detroit, the same the same play, dude.
Speaker 8: It was.
Speaker 2: I mean it was probably ten years ago. He's a serial push He's a serial pusher, dude. He just likes to get up in there and just have to be such a cool feeling. I mean, that's this is the old one of the oldest, dude.
Speaker 1: It's college football rivalries West Coast versus the Midwest.
Speaker 2: It was like Cathlics versus the not the convicts, that's for sure. I would say this dude, Like I kind of talked about that huddle, like the moment, like that was really special looking back, and then like the locker room after, like it was the only time you know, you've been in locker rooms. Like we were so just the pressure, dude, Like we were just like and we end up losing Texas, but like the pressure to win in just every week. It was a grind, dude. It was an emotional grind. And like college students too, Dude. That game was so emotional. So we were in the locker room and I kid you not, like there were guys like just crying because they like not like you know, just like one tier, just like like like a relief. And it was really it was special, dude. It was a really special thing. And then I'll never forget. We had a player's only meeting. So that was Saturday. We had a players only meeting on Monday because we weren't playing, we weren't playing great and not in the union. We had a State of the Union, dude, and we were just like, yo, like we all need to like take a deep breath and like hold ourselves accountable both sides. Well, I stood up and talked to remember because I wasn't playing very well in my mind, and then we started rolling and then we had the Freends of State game, which was close, but but yeah, man, that was that year. Was that was nuts.
Speaker 7: Man.
Speaker 1: Well, people don't realize when you guys are like who you are at that time. Everyone is circling you. Coaches will get jobs if they beat you. Players are gonna get drafted if they beat you. You guys are Americans.
Speaker 2: Charley Weiscott paid for a decade off that game. Yeah, and he got fired and got paid for eight years later. I think he went to Kansas. He was getting like eight million a year from Notre Dame for like eight years, dude, because of that game. Because of that game.
Speaker 1: I mean, that's crazy.
Speaker 2: Then you guys, go on, you didn't, Oh, you weren't there. Charlie. Charlie was in New England.
Speaker 1: He was well, I know everything about He's there's a he was with Tom right to the first couple of years. There's an infamous office called Charlie's Office that had Yeah, I got.
Speaker 2: Brady's got some good Charlie White stories.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and you could always, you know, everyone would always when we were breaking down the offense because he was the one who kind of made our offense with the zero zero outslot zero out slot zero slot feing, you know, and the it evolved to what it became. But he was definitely a good play caller and he was a huge part of the early success of those Patriot.
Speaker 2: Teams in Sankowski nine and know what's up. I don't know in his boxing career, I know nine.
Speaker 5: And oh his first match was at Massive Square Garden while he was a student at Notre Dame.
Speaker 2: That's pretty cool.
Speaker 5: Yeah, he was.
Speaker 2: He was a good player. He was tough as shit.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so just the aftermath, USC went on twelve and one.
Speaker 4: That year.
Speaker 5: You mentioned the Fresno State game fifty to forty two. You guys pulled that one out. Reggie Bush won the Heisman and lost in the in the iconic two thousand and five, but six, I.
Speaker 2: Mean, the entire season was vacated. Really backs it? Is it back? Though? Who cares? We smashed everybody except Notre Dame in Texas, but we're out of the record books, that's for sure. But they're gonna bring it back. Who cares doesn't matter always he's getting his back. I don't know. You gotta ask him. People will say, like, oh, those wins don't count, like really, like, it's not like Reggie took steroids, dude, Like it's something like he is. It's dumb, he took money.
Speaker 5: How do you feel about like the nil and that all being kind of fair game?
Speaker 8: Now?
Speaker 5: Does it? Like is it like salty?
Speaker 1: Or how do you feel about that long time?
Speaker 2: I was in the wrong era playing college, That's for sure. I'm all for anile obviously. I mean yeah, like looking back, I mean, it wasn't we didn't even think about it because it wasn't. It didn't exist. But I mean, obviously people were getting money and all over the country, but how much money did you get?
Speaker 1: How I think how big was the pay cut when you got to the NFL.
Speaker 2: Dude, I didn't get any money in college. I swear to God. I swear to God. Just a bunch of freak, I would boot. I got, yeah, man, a bunch of club stuff, right. I drove a Ford Ranger. I drove my first ever car when I was sixteen, was a stick shift Ford White Ranger extended cab. I drove that throughout my college career. I remember when I came back, I usually drive down the road my my Ranger, and all my boys would be like, dude, no one's given you a car yet. I said, no, man, this is my joy high dude. This and I had and my dad my dad. I ended up because then when I got drafted, I got a Tahoe, but I wanted to keep my truck. I was like, I want to keep it. It's like my truck sentimental value. My mom and dad sold that thing because it was stuck at their house for years. They sold it without telling me. Dude. I was pissed. They're like, this is not you don't even drive it's sitting in our driveway. We're selling that thing. No man I got. I just honestly it sounds so it sounds like I'm lying. I just really wasn't exposed to it. Like I didn't run into people who'd be like, hey I did I did uh run into like some autograph people like at the award show, like hey I got like kind of like what Manzell did, like hey I got one hundred pictures, I'll give you ten grand And I I remember I was with my brother in Orlando and we're like now we're good. But like never, it just never. I never really met anyone like that. Yeah, I tell that everybody. I swear, like shit, I wish I would have.
Speaker 1: But Alabama guys and all the Florida guys that I played with during the Urban years.
Speaker 2: Oh dude, they all took pay cuts. Yes, they took a lot of pay cuts. Yes.
Speaker 5: So the just to wrap up the game, the final score is thirty four to thirty one, and then Notre Dame went on to the Fiesta Ball. They finished nine to two, where they lost to Ohio State. They lost the next four games to US. As we mentioned, Jeff Smarger went on to play for the Cubs, very successful career. Toms Mkowski was nine and oh was a boxing career. Brady Quinnin went to the NFL draft. A few years later. Weiss was fired and then replaced with Brian Kelly.
Speaker 2: Wait, Brian Kelly was he was the next coach.
Speaker 4: I don't know that.
Speaker 2: I guess there for a long time. Yeah, he was there for a long time.
Speaker 1: Where is this Bush push rank amonks all time controversial calls? Honestly, I don't even people talk about that. I don't think it is well because its technically technically.
Speaker 5: Section three, Article two B of NCAA Rulebook states that the runner shall not grasp a teammate, and no other player of his team shall grasp, push, lift, or charge into him to assist him in ford progress if the penalty has been called to push whatever resulted in the five var penalty.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I can't call that on and we can't call that at the end of the game. Yeah, I mean it could be, It could be. It could be considered controversial, that's for sure. And you guys have SC hasn't been SC since then? Where's it? Where's that dynasty rank all time? You guys are up there yeah. I mean in modern day we got I mean, Bama has been a great dynasty. We got to be up there. Miami had a good run. I mean I think I would put us. I mean, you go back in history books, but I think I put us up there as top two or three dynasties, two titles, three Heisman's Yeah.
Speaker 1: I mean being a California kid, that was like our badge because we were like all our best California kids went there and you always hear about Texas, you hear about Ohio State, and.
Speaker 2: We I wore it with you guys. I mean, oh yeah, dude, we always like it was all like that was when the the cal Texas High School All Star Game was in Texas, Like, oh we got the best high school football, which is good Florida, but it was like Cali always got a little like slided, I think right always. Yeah, it was pretty cool to rep like West Coast and USC, you know what I mean, like and to beat we beat every SEC team we played anyway. I mean in that era, we beat everybody. You know. We lost to cal and we lost to Texas, but we beat Auburn, we beat Arkansas, we be Michigan and even after I left. We still we had a run, you know, we beat all those teams, Yeah Tech to beat Ohio, Yeah, Ohio State at the Shoe Matt Barkley's freshman year, Virginia Tech. That was a game. Ship. That was a tough ass game. We played at uh Prop, we played. We played with the Redskins play Commanders now, but so we didn't play at the Tech. I played you. Yeah, I heard in the stadiums built like this. Yeah. So it's not the biggest stadium like a lot of those old stadiums that you guys, but it's loud as loud because there I played there in two thousand and six seven. You guys got smacked up there because they were good those years.
Speaker 1: The good.
Speaker 5: Can we talk about Xavier dB covering Reggie Bush that whole game before he pours tours to pack?
Speaker 2: Well, I was gonna say so he he got hurt early in that game. Yeah, so that I remember that was opening game. I'll never forget. That was oh four and I was like, dude, this is the fastest defense I've ever seen on film. They had Eric Green who ended up playing with and he was the second round pick corner. Their other corner was a first round pick. I think big tall guy, Jimmy Williams, Jimmy Wall. I was saying, Jimmy Smith or Jimmy Jimmy Smith was the calor Jimmy Williams. Maybe, yeah, he played for a while. Xavier Dbi, but he tore his pack or his bicep. I'll never forget, dude. We had fourth quarter, they had just the outside linebacker. He shouldn't have been playing outside linebacker. And we all we would always offset Reggie try to get man obviously, and I just he ran a wheel route. I'm like, oh, dude, touch. That was the play that put us so. We only won twenty four to thirteen. A thing, but that was it. I remember seeing that. I'm like, oh, dude, you're not covering Reggie. I bet you.
Speaker 1: Reggie in this day and age would be like if he were to come and be putting into this football, he was, he was, he was, he was still dynamic.
Speaker 2: He was still a beast. He was. Yeah, he was used that way in New Orleans for.
Speaker 1: What it wasn't as sexy to talk about. He was Christian McCaffrey before Christian McCaffrey.
Speaker 2: Low key, Yeah, he he was probably just ahead of his time in that in that role he I mean, I think his rookie year, dude, he had like seventy catches. I remember because I mean Sean Payton and Drew like it was a perfect It was perfect for him. And then he had he had a good year in Miami. I had a good year in Detroit. But yeah, he just was kind of ahead. Because you know, now it's now these guys catching balls sixty. You know they're doing everything.
Speaker 1: Man, You know what makes it's a it's a crazy correlation, but it makes me think the way you guys treated your team, your practice, your everything. How Pete embraced the celebrities. It kind of reminds me of today's landscape. What Dion's doing at Colorado. It's it's very similar, very similar.
Speaker 2: I think, use everyone to come over here, make it a fun place to play. Dude. He has been, in my opinion, so great for football, I mean especially college one. He's deon right, So he's one of the greatest athletes where the greatest football players to ever live. He's an incredible human being. Uh, he's an incredible motivator, inspiring all these things. Uh, he's pretty good coach. Too, you know, like I think he kind of does more of the just managing and he's the motivator and all that. But dude, he's he's totally just like won the transfer portal has changed the way college football is. But he's just just the way he is, Like he's unapologetically him. He gets the most out of his players. He's kind of he's just it's kind of a fresh breath of fresh air in a sense, you know, like because he is who he is. He doesn't give a shit what people say. He's he's deon. He's never cared about that his players. Like he's got work to do. His players kind of fit that mold and they're out there having fun. They're they are embracing everything that college football is. N I l transfer portal. I'm gonna be me. I'm gonna be myself because you know, and uh, he's been awesome. Man, Like he don't have to win another game and it's been a major success. He has put them on the map. He will recruit that place. I don't know, if you've been to Colorado, it's beautiful, the facilities, Like he can win there because they're going to the Big twelve now, We'll see if he stays a couple of years. But yeah, he's been great man, great for college football. His son is a star. Like it's awesome.
Speaker 1: We we I mean, you guys originated this is the Bush push once once in for Are they out this you think so?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think so. It's I don't.
Speaker 1: I don't think they should. But with the way the league's going right now, because a lot of guys can get hurt, the league is going soft. Dude, you can get hurt.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the league is, dude. Matt Shaw had a Liz Frank doing a QB sneak. Albert Hainsworth landed on his foot. I'll never forget that was then I ended up starting this. Yeah, I mean they're injuries and all. I just I just think there's too many people that hate I just think from a competition standpoint, I see nothing wrong with it. Like, dude, it's a it's they're saying it's not a football play. I mean it's probably the original football play exactly stop literally the first play that they probably ran it. Dude, it is. It is just I love it because it's the major Just fu, you know it's coming and you can't stop us. For two yards. They've been they've been stopped a couple of times. He basically said, it's like playing like first to nine every time because they know they can get a yard every time. Plus Jalen Hurst just dude, they got a great a lot. They just they just perfected it. You see other teams doing it and they can't do it. No, let's go to store this game. We have this segment where we score it. We have any leftover questions, Kyler.
Speaker 5: I missed a couple of stuff. So Notre Dame and USC is a long story rivalry they played for the Jeweled Chile. It started in nineteen twenty six, The Jewels Chile.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 5: It's like an.
Speaker 2: Irish clan or something. Did you ever use it?
Speaker 8: No?
Speaker 2: I had it on the show last week because I'd address up as a Leprechaun. I saw that. That's embarrassing. I was embarrassing. You're too told to be a leprecaun. It just made me feel ugly. Man. I just couldn't. I couldn't. And by the way we did the whole a block in that thing, I was like, I didn't realize I had a talk in that. I was loud. I was like, dude, I can't. I can't be serious right now, we're in this Halloween costume. Anyways, how the fuck do you guys lose that game? I mean, did you watch it? Yeah? I did. They got their ass kicked.
Speaker 5: And then the origin of the Notre Dame USC rivalry is recounted as a conversation between wives from Notre Dame's head coach Nut Rockney in USC athletic director Gwyn Wilson and the Notre Dame leads the overall series forty nine to thirty seven and five.
Speaker 2: Did you know they've won eighteen national championships? Is it eighteen?
Speaker 5: And they don't even count half of them? There's shit I was.
Speaker 2: I saw when I was walking on the stadium. I saw him all the banners. I'm like, damn.
Speaker 5: And then the fog. I fucked up on the fog self. Check here. The fog was in two thousand and five Supernatural Heart. I said, Steph King, it's not as a remake of John Carver's nineteen eighty.
Speaker 2: Film The FuG Sorry, no one, No one watched them?
Speaker 5: And then what yeah? And then one last little nugget. Colt Brennan's career stats at Hawaii played for three years.
Speaker 2: Hold on, let me, let me try one hundred and all like twenty touchdowns, one hundred and fifteen.
Speaker 5: One thirty one crazy forty two interceptions, and then he threw for fourteen thousand and ninety three yards.
Speaker 2: I remember he seen one all time or is it what's his name?
Speaker 5: I'm sure it's some Texas tech.
Speaker 2: It's a heat knows, it's a case Keenum, I think is all time.
Speaker 1: Who is the guy that followed him too? There was like a Asian quarterback he.
Speaker 5: Was before before he was two before Tommy Ki Chang, Timmy.
Speaker 2: Jimmy Chankuls Slamy because you'd be I think he's the head coach there now is dude. So my first we played, we had a home and home with them, and my first year it was or no. We played in like three years, three or four years, he can't. Hawaii came to us and Timmy was a quarterback and he just dude. It was the run and shoot dude. He would just sling it.
Speaker 4: Dude.
Speaker 2: He could play. So he was almost good that like Saint Louis. I think he was like when that high school was just sending guys out.
Speaker 5: Timmy Chang is the head coach of Hawaii right now, he's the second all time in passing yards. It's seventeen thousand in case games first with Kasey.
Speaker 1: Yeah wow, we'll be right back after this quick break.
Speaker 2: So let's score this game.
Speaker 1: We have this whole segmenta one out of ten.
Speaker 2: Name of the game is the bush push or the the bush push game? Bush pushes, Bush push, Bush push?
Speaker 1: All right, so it's just the bush push stakes of this game.
Speaker 2: Zero to ten, oh decimal is okay?
Speaker 5: Twenty seven game win streak.
Speaker 2: I would say I would say ten because as if we lose, we're not in the national Championship game because that was the BCS era, so we probably every time we could every you could probably look it up, but I think there's a couple of teams maybe that finished undefeated that year, so we would have been out. So, uh, losing your arrival kept us out of the BCS title game third and no one had ever won a third championship.
Speaker 5: Star power, Marcus Allen Ronnie's.
Speaker 2: Star power are we doing overall overall the whole thing and of the game or history, because you're saying, oh, in attendance.
Speaker 5: In attendance, Marcus Allen and Ronnie Lott were there also Tim Brown and Joe.
Speaker 2: Ship that In that case, I mean, you gotta go ten. You got you got, well, dude, you got before Tommy. You got the greatest quarterback of all time. You got Tim Brown Heisman, troph in college. Well, Tom is the greatest quarterback of all time. I'm just saying before Joe Montana was the greatest court back of all time until Tom took over. But you got oh yeah, no, dude, dude, Tom about Tom's ago. Tom and Joe were the goat Joe greatest one. Top two greatest quarterbacks of all time, Tim Brown Heisman, Marcus Heisman. Ronnie Lott one of the best defensive players ever, if not the best. You could largue talk never play in this era. Top three one. You couldn't cover anybody, no, because he would.
Speaker 1: They just they're they're suspending guys for four plays on not even the hardest hit.
Speaker 2: That Ronnie Lott does. He even have a ring finger, dude, he just he got that different game chopped off when he played. It's a different game. I loved Ronny Lott was so good. It was a gameplay of this zero Oh yeah, because you were probably. Yeah. Gameplay, game play, I'd give it a six now I give it a five. It was a terrible game.
Speaker 5: Five yeah, but that fourth quarter final draft.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but that's two minutes. The whole game was terrible. The name Bush Push, that's a ten. That's such a great game. It is not a great name. It's a great name. He could like that name could mean a lot of different things.
Speaker 1: I'm I've been currently thirty five out of have a first grader. So my daughter's into this huge rhyming, so Bush Push.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, you're teaching her. It's good. Eight seven five Yeah, man, that's a big it's a big game. Eight seven. I just think the gameplay was just overrated. People think it's like like the Texas game. I'd give that a ten or nine.
Speaker 5: But that so with eight point seventy five in our in our so far, in our totals, it ties with the nineteen ninety nine Women's World Cup final USA versus China's.
Speaker 2: Is that not higher?
Speaker 5: You're you're you're you're tapping a nerve here. Our scoring system is fucking bullshit and it needs to be completely Look at number one.
Speaker 2: Way Mavericks Mavericks, Yeah, yeah, because.
Speaker 5: Cube Market came here and just gave everything ten.
Speaker 2: There's a lot. You had someone come in for each one of these. Yeah, that's pretty sweet. Yeah. Yeah, so this game is a wheelchair game. What a joke, Paul Pierce? I mean, did he sho his pants? Did he not? I mean, it's right up there with did he come in? We zoomed him in? He zoomed him in. That was probably pretty funny.
Speaker 1: Yeah he was. He was smoking Huka the whole time in his backyard with pool.
Speaker 2: You guys got some good It's pretty It's a pretty diverse list here though. Yeah, so we got some stuff. Yeah, this is this is right up there with it man.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so this game is nestled in ties with Women's World Cup, just below the Ironman, Matchean Michael's and bred Haart ridiculous, and just above the twenty to three Super Bowl Patriots Falcons.
Speaker 2: Can we talk about your catch? It was a lucky catch, yeah, but it was fucking awesome. I was watching that ship. I was like, you knew, did you know? Did you think you knew? You always know? He was this much dude? Yeah, but I was under it felt he felt that you felt.
Speaker 1: You know, you you know, just like in Kansas City to get there or that was the next one. Remember were the punt that almost touched me? And touch me either, But that catch was, dude, that was the catch. It was a good catch, but it was it was a lucky catch, dude.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like my throw fourth and nine was I mean, dude, one inch the other way. It's incomplete.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but it's a product of you making that throw so many times. Yeah, that catches, just that bounce you just read.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that was a product.
Speaker 1: I used to do these reaction drills every day.
Speaker 2: Did you get a truck? No, that was the first year they didn't give. Did you go to Disney World? Yeah? That cool. Disney World twice. It was awesome against Seahawks and then for this one, and then you get you get a nice little bonus for Super Bowl MVP. Huh.
Speaker 1: I think you get like fifty grand really thing crazy.
Speaker 2: I don't give you ship.
Speaker 1: That's like what you get for going to the Super Bowl. You get the bonus if you win the whole Super Bowl. When oh, you get a hundred or something, you get a total because you went up every every game. Yeah, I could get a total of like two ten or something, which is a lot of money. Don't get me wrong to a lot of people. But if you think about your salary, what you're you get paid weekly for regular season, you're you're.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a pay cut. But I love because the year we went to Super Bowl, it was awesome, man, because the whole you know, like the practice squad, everybody got the same check, which is cool. You know, so those guys made one hundred grand, you know, Yeah that was cool. Man. Did we miss need thing? You got anything to plug what we got? Good? Dude, it's fucking I'm just happy to be here with you. Man, I'm happy you're here too. You got come more. We should we should talk. Like the last time I saw you were just chawing with the wife beater on and Can. Yeah, we did go to Can with the white beater on. It's a wife pleaser. I'll ever forget that, dude. Or were you the hotel you're the hotel lobby? Did he tell you the story? We're in France this summer and we rode out together and all that, and I'm walking and it's like this five star and he's with all his boys and he is just rocking a lipper with a wife beater and is whatever whatever, you don't know, brown pants or whatever. And I'm just like, only you would rock that ship right here and look good to you? Look good? You look like you could still play. See what are you run? What are you running right now? Not fast? What did you do? What were you? What were you like a four or five? Yeah? I mean I mean you were, I mean you were, you were quick, and now you were it was more explosive. Yeah, explosive my.
Speaker 1: Best, Like when I ran it was four four eight, but they did give you to call you a four or five guy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you three cone though, was probably fastest eight nine. Yeah, that was my stuff. But you know, I think the three cone, I mean, what are we doing? That's I don't know, that's what they you know, I know, I'm just saying, like who cares? Yeah, what receivers came out when you came out? Oh, grab tree? Grab tree?
Speaker 1: He was said, was on the Rookie Symposium bus.
Speaker 2: Really he had like five phones and like six chains and he so that was so he was top five, Yeah he was. He was up there no one else in that year. That's all I remember. Yeah, I mean I got a look, I mean he had. He was good. Who was it to leave that pulled his chain off? Yeah? I think so that was so tight.
Speaker 1: I love that.
Speaker 5: Darius Hayward bay d HB. Yeah, Jeremy Macklin.
Speaker 2: Macklin Percy was a beast. Percy was there too. I forgot Urban talks about Percy like he was.
Speaker 1: Everyone that played with him he was the best football Yeah.
Speaker 2: They played Urban like because when we had Reggie, Urban always said like that was my Reggie. Like he was just he was a great football player's dog. Dude. He just had a lot of issues, but explosive, tough at ship line, just could do anything.
Speaker 5: Mike Wallace, Mike Wallace, there was a lot of them.
Speaker 2: I remember you had the best career. All of them were you were you drafted, but seventh, seventh, seventh as a quarterback. It's a crazy story. Man. We're gonna have to have you come back on. I appreciate you, bro, Dude, you're kicking me out already. I'm just gonna start. Let's just go. I want to just come back on and just talk life with you, dude. Just talk. We could talk like we could talk. We could talk to Texas game if you want, if you get McConaughey. Dude, I'm coming. You heard it here, folks.
Speaker 5: So we're gonna clip this and use you to get McConaughey to come on. Magic.
Speaker 2: We should get you know, you should get Farrell McConaughey, me, Vince Faraholl McConaughey on the couch.
Speaker 1: That would be would just they would do it, they would, they would do it for sure. I'll just throw a fucking I feel like they just did something they didn't do. Games with names, though, by games with names.
Speaker 5: Make it soop talg on soon though, huh Snoop dog.
Speaker 2: Soon gas Man, he's the best.
Speaker 1: Anytime he used to come out to Boss, he had like a residency in Boston, and so anytime you would come and go, hey, I get a text from one of his guys.
Speaker 2: I think it's white keV.
Speaker 1: And uh, he goes hey nephew, Hey, nephew, can I use your spot before I go have to go out.
Speaker 2: I was like, yeah, hell Brownstone in Boston, we have the whole gang there. You getting my body worked on. We got a game and Snoop he's but we'll get you next time. That's good man, Thanks for having men.
Speaker 1: That was a crazy episode.
Speaker 4: Glad. I wouldn't hear for the interview because I'm had to dove across his table. And Gradi, you.
Speaker 1: Have been the dude after the judge. I would have been the guy after Brian Dawkans the judge. I don't know when this came out. You guys have seen the meme.
Speaker 4: Bro That is top five for me most painful sports loss. I still remember I was sitting at the bar of a Brick's Pizza with my dad watching on the little TV above the bar, like just pound in the bar, like you push them out.
Speaker 2: Charlie.
Speaker 4: I wanted Charlie to get that win man, Old Charlie, Old Charlie man Man him and Pete Carroll wearing the big pleated khakis. That was a great era, my god, how like because he wore.
Speaker 5: The pants like how the old people are actually on their waist right, Like what is that number there?
Speaker 1: Like a sixty's it's gotta be up there.
Speaker 4: That was a lot of Khaki material, but.
Speaker 2: Like a lot of I don't know what.
Speaker 4: I don't want to know what was going on there.
Speaker 1: But I love Charlie. That's called the dick do belly. So when your belly go further than your dick do.
Speaker 2: Yeo oh man.
Speaker 5: The real takeaway from this is that we have to do obviously the techs usc national. I know, we've already got Reggie on, We've got matt On. We just got to get either Vince or Matthew. Once we get one of those dudes in the studio, Reggie or matt will be here in a second. And that's gonna be What about coming, It's coming. We got to work on it, but it's coming.
Speaker 1: That's hopefully coming. But what about all the other names that were just it was like a pro grown out there, Clay, Matthews, Linda why he loved Lindell. Lindell was was an he had a little uh he.
Speaker 5: Had like like I mean we looked at it like twenty something touchdown.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 5: He was just straight thunder and you know what, he had an okay career with the Titans. No, he was a little bit yeah. I mean Norm Chow was the OC.
Speaker 1: Right, Yeah, shout out Norm Chow.
Speaker 5: Oh, let's get to the let's get to these fan questions.
Speaker 1: Let's get to these fan questions.
Speaker 7: Jo, my name is Mason Whiteley. I'm from Cincinnati, Ohio, and uh, I just had a quick question for you. Me and my best friend roommate are in a pre over the last month. Who's better Darrel Revis or pac Man Jones?
Speaker 1: All right, tex Yo, I love pack, I love pac Man. Unbelievable football player played for a long time. Unbelievable punt returner West Virginia, West Virginia. Darrell res is generational, great.
Speaker 4: Revis island baby that can make it ring though.
Speaker 2: Dude, I've kicked him. Hey, make it right. We used to have all these Bengal formations and stuff.
Speaker 1: I've told this story.
Speaker 2: We always remembered if the F would all the way be all the way in the three by one, and we always remembered it by.
Speaker 1: You know, he he's in jail. So Bengal, the F is in jail.
Speaker 4: I forgot about it. I don't know.
Speaker 2: I brought that with pac Man, bro, but also to pac Man.
Speaker 5: He was early on hating Adele right there. He's early beef on that right now, we all do.
Speaker 1: But like he was, pac Man just ran four Like right now, if if you put him on a field, pac Man's better than Durow.
Speaker 2: I've seen Dureau my eating good. He's living.
Speaker 1: Pac Man just ran four five geez bro he ran four or five on something on the internet, didn't he. I gotta look that up fast man, and we we pack got it. We used to get into scuffles revis Yeah, no he was. He was a blanket man.
Speaker 4: Whole side of the field is taken away.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you just says you take him all day. I also liked the I also liked the idea of like different players though, yes, different players.
Speaker 4: Interesting debate. I was going to say, this is very insightful into this relationship.
Speaker 2: But if you're going straight corner right.
Speaker 5: A little wrinkle here. This is a backyard brawl. Oh, West Virginia Pittsburgh.
Speaker 4: Wow, it gets deeper.
Speaker 5: I like these joy No, but they're the colleges are a big rivalry.
Speaker 1: I like, that's what you got to take from this. That goddamn conference got some some ballplayers'.
Speaker 4: Biggi's ball players.
Speaker 5: Maybe that was Yeah, it was close.
Speaker 4: I like imagining these guys like ones making his pop tart in.
Speaker 1: The morning, pack mans eight pack too. He showed it to me, and when I went and did all the smoke or something, I didn want to those you know what I do? Which one?
Speaker 4: Uh it was with with the marsh I'm a yeah, yeah, I like imagining these guys like making making their pop tarts in the morning. The other guy comes out of the room, He's like, Darrell Reeves is better because it just goes on.
Speaker 2: And I'm like, I.
Speaker 5: Have to suspect that the roommate went to West Virginia or is from West Virginia or from Cincinnati, because that's the only way this curious argument.
Speaker 1: All right, next one, Thanks Mason for the question.
Speaker 8: Yes, I need a little positivity for the Atlanta top and because there ain't been done twenty eight three, can you give me a little advice here?
Speaker 5: I'd appreciate it, buddy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but here's my advice. You go down to write aid, you get a bottle of a leave, you take to a leave, then you go take a walk and just start thinking because it ain't changing any time soon. Okay, there's no prescription for this. You know, as a Patriots fan right now, I'm going through the same thing. These are things you have to go through when you are a fan of an NFL team that doesn't have a quarterback. So, buddy, placebo effect it. Go get a couple leave, won't kill you. Maybe give you an ulcer if you take too many, but take those two a leave, go take a walk, and just don't even think about it because it ain't changing anytime soon.
Speaker 4: And you know, watch Georgia Games and you got Georgia Games. Got Kirby Man, Yeah, Urby'll get you buy on Saturdays. Desmond'll let you down on Sundays. But hey, he'd be good.
Speaker 1: I feel bad for my guy. Desmond's all right.
Speaker 2: That's another question, Julian.
Speaker 6: I was wondering, are you ever gonna make any more Smoothie Time videos? You know, whether it's with Sugar Shane or maybe you want to get Ryan Allen on the show. You know, Smoothie Time was great, but I think Burger Time was pretty good too. I mean, getting John Bones showns again, that would be amazing, especially recent circumstances.
Speaker 1: Anyway, Yeah, this we gotta, we gotta, we gotta do something.
Speaker 4: The people are asking, the streets are talking.
Speaker 1: You know, old Burger Time, Smoothie Time, Sugar Shade is Everen.
Speaker 4: I was just gonna en nickname.
Speaker 1: I don't know, but I.
Speaker 2: I like it. I like it. Ryan Allen, I actually have to send him.
Speaker 1: I don't know why. I think I may have take taken his locker because I have like all his baby pictures. I got a pair of flip flops that are like I think they say, Ryan Allen, I got a bunch of his ship. Ryan. I'm gonna send you a care package. I'm talking to you a minute now. You've got a couple of kids like it, Bones Jones right now, We're just gonna keep that in it.
Speaker 5: We'll leave it there. I think from the practical standpoint, the way we get smoothie time, you know, rebooted is you know, where's athletic Greens, Where's where's to mix, Where's we're some brands, you know, we're we're all nah f.
Speaker 2: That man, f that the brands. Just do it for maybe for the integrity of the art.
Speaker 4: Dog, for all the smoothie makers out there to do for all.
Speaker 1: Those smoothie makers and those burger fiends. Just remember this old burger craze, everyone grating burgers, doing burgers, smash doing that back when you're popping your pimples watching All Home magazine.
Speaker 4: You never even heard of a smash.
Speaker 5: You know what we should do. Here's an idea for April fools. Find out what day that is.
Speaker 2: We just Reskin, what day?
Speaker 5: What day of the weekend? Is what day of the week it is?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 5: If it's close enough to tuesdays. Maybe we were skinning games with names for a day and we do a Burger Time version of games with names Monday before.
Speaker 1: No, dude, I was skinting to try, all right. Next question, Next question, Yo, Julian.
Speaker 2: This is Logan from New Jersey.
Speaker 4: If you're the Patriots.
Speaker 7: Manager, what are you doing with this top five pick?
Speaker 1: Are you taking a quarterback?
Speaker 8: Are you taking off a lineman?
Speaker 7: Or you're taking a wide receiver?
Speaker 2: What are you doing?
Speaker 1: Patriot manager? So I'm gonna probably I'm gonna get what's his name, Christian Gonzalez. I'm gonna have him lead off. I'm gonna have.
Speaker 5: I mean, who's clean, Who's who's clean up?
Speaker 2: Who's clean up? It's gotta be Jude.
Speaker 4: I was gonna say, you got Jude one in the cleanup spot.
Speaker 1: Jude gotta go quarterback. You gotta you have no choice. Top five, gotta we gotta we gotta get a spark, gotta do quarterback. This is quarterback League.
Speaker 5: Jaydon Daniels, I.
Speaker 1: Don't know that, Like I'm a guy like that, you know, there's there's a lot of guys that they say it's a rich quarterback draft. I mean they say that all the time.
Speaker 5: But JJ McCarthy, Michigan, I don't like any of them.
Speaker 4: You don't like any of them, Jack, I like, I like l mints of them, but I don't Cayleb Williams doesn't want to play in New England and he's a baby. Pannix hurt a million times, Drake May, Jade and Daniels. Maybe maybe which one is that?
Speaker 2: This l s U?
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, it's got the skill sets, but maybe I don't know. I like Drake May. I just feel like he's got that Josh Allen in him.
Speaker 4: He's got a little bit of that Trubisky in him.
Speaker 1: Or Sam How It's gonna be funny watching all these guys leave. They're gonna be all going top ten. Yeah, that's how the hype goes. Hold on, let's do one. Let's do two quick ones, rock Share, let's wrap these up one more here.
Speaker 7: Alright, Calling in from North Palm Beach, Florida.
Speaker 6: My question is if Vince set on Jack McCarthy, how long or how many seconds would he stay alive?
Speaker 4: Love, that's my boy, ed.
Speaker 2: Brother.
Speaker 4: I'm tapping out so fast. I am tapping out and undertake.
Speaker 5: It's not about tap out. It's not up to you.
Speaker 1: Oh true.
Speaker 2: I'm not saying this like how is he sitting on him?
Speaker 1: I'm thinking, like big raki, I think maybe like two minutes you might be done minutes long. I think I'm pulling for you.
Speaker 2: I just think, I think, I just I.
Speaker 4: Just pictured the scene in Billy Madison where Principal Anderson was when he was playing the Revolting Blob and he's like he was supposed to pinch my leg if he was running short of air when he killed that guy in the ring.
Speaker 1: I thought, you know what you should do. I think of it as you're like, uh, terminator to the liquid guy. You just kind of figure away.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Those were fun. Those were fun. Well what an episode.
Speaker 1: Thanks him, Old Maddie Matt Lioner for coming on. I can't wait to see his son. Son's a stud beast and he's like seven feet two. We're gonna have him on a Games with Names hell ya And that's been another episode of Games with Names presented by win Bet. Remember to follow Games with Names on YouTube, Instagram, x TikTok and Snapchat. We will see you guys next week. Games with Names is a production of iHeartRadio. For more podcasts from iHeartRadio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you get your podcasts.