Speaker 1: You are listening to the Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio Our two.
Speaker 2: Dan and the Dan Edge Dan Patrick Show, and we'll talk to Michigan State head coach Tom Izzo. It's our annual get together with coach Izzo. Usually when he's in the Sweet sixteen or the Elite eight, he will join us.
Speaker 3: Coming up here in a little bit.
Speaker 2: Stat of the Day brought to you by Panini America Official Trading Cards of the program SA. Good morning, those watching on Peacock, Thank you for downloading the app, our streaming partner and our radio affiliates around the country, Danpatrick dot com. Everything is on sale. Go take advantage of all of the great offers there. You knew it when you saw it, if you watched it live, you knew Juju Watkins had suffered a severe knee injury. Now we're finding out that she did tear her acl. USC did advance, but they will have to advance without Juju Watkins as she will be out for the rest of the tournament and for quite a few months of rehab. Show have surgery immediately and they'll try to move on without her. And you know, the selection committee did set it up that USC was going to play Connecticut in the Elite eight. And you know, this was the same philosophy with IOWA and LSU last year, where why not wait and let them play in the National Champion You want to ensure that they get to play. And Iowa and LSU lived up to that billing, and we were hoping for another rematch with USC and Yukon. Yukon won big last night and Paige Becker's her last game, her home game, and you know, you start to see because the women are there for four years, sometimes five years if they get injured. Paige Becker's gone through a couple of surgeries and you could see the emotion on Geno Orim's face and I you know, it kind of came out of nowhere, but he realized right there that she he was saying goodbye to her on her home turf at Yukon. And you know, when you we see college athletes now, certainly in basketball, you're wont and done. So there's not that relationship with the fans of the coaches. It's a six month process. There you're dealing with years and everything, the highs and lows that go into that, and that's where it is a business. But then there's still that personal attachment that you see with some coaches, some players, a community. Then you saw that with Paige Becker's last night. But she gets to continue to play while Juju Watkins is out for well quite some time. You know, it's probably seven months having torn an acl but I wasn't coming back to anything.
Speaker 3: You know, it's a long, long process.
Speaker 2: And as great as she's been the face of the sport, all of these commercials. You know, I'm watching this morning, she's there with the you know, they're they're promoting March Madness for the women. She's got a State Farm commercial, got a Nike commercial. I mean, she is a This is one of those not just a basketball player, She's more than that. And playing in Los Angeles, she had become the face of the sport and she brought out celebrities, you know, Jayden Daniels coming out this year. You know, she's that kind of magnetic personality talent. Yes, Marvin, if you're the.
Speaker 4: Head of women's college basketball at the NCAA, what do you guys do as far as focusing your attention on another player like Hadalo from Notre Dame, Like, what do you guys? Doo just focus on South Carolina as a whole.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 2: I mean, do you change your focus to go more Connecticut centric?
Speaker 5: Uh?
Speaker 2: South Carolina doesn't have that one. They have a lot of players that's really their coach LSU. It's about their coach for the most part, although they do have the Johnson. Yeah, she's a talent, she's personality, got a music career. You know, she's a good basketball player. You know, bets at UCLA. But you know, I don't know how ESPN is going to sell this spin this now and be because it was going to be about Juju Watkins that she was going to be leading her team to a national championship.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Pauline, Yeah, FLA J.
Speaker 6: Johnson for LSU. She's on a lot of ads. She's in like a financial services ad and like how to manage your money And it's not in theory. She's actually dealing with this at at twenty years old.
Speaker 2: All right, age seven seven three d P show email address Dpadanpatrick dot com, Twitter handle at dp show. We stumbled upon a is your school a basketball school or a football school? You may want your school because I was thinking of Arkansas. Arkansas they want to be a football school, but they're a basketball school. You're in SEC country and you desperately want to be a football school. I get it, but you're not. You know, Kentucky is a basketball school. If they've had success in football, they want to be a basketball school. They're fine with being a basketball school. Indiana would like to be a basketball school.
Speaker 3: Again.
Speaker 2: It's sort of like, wait a minute, come on, football team, don't get too good because we don't even make the tournament here. But yeah, so everybody getting territorial here. I don't want to hear about. Well, Arkansas back in the sixty you know, nineteen sixty nine playing for a national championship in football, Yeah, I got it. Or Jerry Jones and Jimmy Johnson played for I get it. With that, I would say, Nolan Richardson, you know Eric Musselman now coach Cown. I mean that was the point. You're looking at Arkansas in the sweet sixteen and they're a basketball school. I mean, there's no shame in it. Like you have to cut an Oregon. Oregon to me is a football school, even though they're having more success. It feels like basketball wise, USC football school but not having great success as a football school. But historically I'm talking about now like it is Utah. Utah's a football school, right, Arizona basketball school, Florida State football school, even though they haven't been. Here's one North Carolina. North Carolina basketball school or football school.
Speaker 3: Marvin basketball.
Speaker 4: Okay, they've won national titles in the last ten years.
Speaker 6: Yeah, Paul, overwhelmingly basketball, but the coverage lately is about their football team positively.
Speaker 2: South Carolina women's basketball. No, I know that's what they might be known for. But are they a football scho or a basketball school?
Speaker 7: Well, just you don't need to say women's it's just a basketball school, okay, because that would include the women's.
Speaker 4: Okay, Well, they're terrible in men's basketball, so that's why I only said the women they're average.
Speaker 2: They although they were one of the two teams out of the SEC that didn't make the tournament. Jamie, that's embarrassing, Jamie in Iowa. I mean, yes, of course, everybody made it but us.
Speaker 8: Hey Jamie, Hey, morning fellas.
Speaker 9: That was my question.
Speaker 10: That's ironically, you guys are talking about juju and then you bring up women's basketball, because that's what I was going to ask. I wanted to hear your opinion is like South Carolina when you think of Don Staley, do you think of South Carolina as a football school or a women's basketball school? Or like last year when our women went on a couple runs. Were we a football school in Iowa? Or were we a women's basketball school?
Speaker 2: You were a women's basketball school the last couple of years. Uh plus you were seeing so much offense on the women's basketball team and no offense on the football team.
Speaker 3: No way, too soon? Yeah, all right, thank you? Vin in Kansas? Hi, Vin, Hey, good one, guys.
Speaker 11: How are you doing so? I'm calling as a Kansas State graduate. You know, up until Bill Schneyer, K State was just a basketball school, and now I consider it's probably a football school. Likewise, my arch enemy KU hasn't really been able to produce a football team, even though they spent money on it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Kansas is still a basketball school, you know, as long as Bill self is there k State, I'd say a football school.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I m'd say a football school. Shuffles in Phoenix High Shuffles, Morning.
Speaker 5: Morning, Pat. I've never called into the Pat Patrick Show, but this is awesome and I want to I'm here to say it was which I'm a fan of and I know Dan, you and Marvin want to disparage them, but I think Arizona is a football school during football season and a basketball school during basketball season.
Speaker 2: No, no, no, you can't do it that way. Shuffles and I don't disparage Arizona. Arizona does a good job disparaging themselves when it comes to basketball.
Speaker 5: We should have three national championships. I don't know what happened in nineteen ninetyears and in nineteen and two thousand and one, Mike Dunleavy Junior went off on the Steph Curry before Steph Curry, I don't even know where Mike Dunleavy Junior. It is not that that should have never happened. We should have had three national championships.
Speaker 3: No, but you, but you don't. You don't.
Speaker 2: Mike Dunleavy Junior is the GM of the Golden State Warriors.
Speaker 3: Yes, Tod, I think they stopped giving up.
Speaker 12: They should have awards a long time ago.
Speaker 2: That we should have won quite a few sports that man, right, Yeah, yeah, Paul.
Speaker 6: The job you want is a football coach at a basketball school. So let's say you're the full Paul coach of Kentucky. You win eight games, everyone's happy. No one's gonna get upset. Mark, Stoops, how long has he He's been there twelve years? Stoops. There it is at Kentucky. And he'll go five and seven, seven and six. Then he'll throw out a ten and three. Yeah, everyone's happy and he gets an extension.
Speaker 3: It's like being the head football coach at Duke.
Speaker 2: Yes, you know, it's like, oh, look at you what you guys did, like, you know, you pat him on the.
Speaker 3: Head, look at what you did? Just be above five hundred.
Speaker 7: Yeah, those schools are like, hey, I think we got a guy this year that's actually pretty good.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know, like it's nice.
Speaker 12: Bubbled up like I think we got a guy this year.
Speaker 3: I think we got a guy named Danny Dimes. Yeah, yes, yes, Mark.
Speaker 4: Remember a few years back, Kansas went to the Orange Bowl and I was like, Kansas, Oh, get out of here. Give that guy a lifetime extension please.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's like you got to go back to the Gaels Sayers days like Kansas, Yeah, heck you uh, let me see Aiden in Utah, Aiden in Utah.
Speaker 13: Hey, man, how's it going? First and foremost, University of Utah is a ski school. Okay, sixteen national championship, yeah, I do. We want seventh straight. Okay, My bad.
Speaker 2: Aid Aiden, My apologies, My apologies. I didn't realize how dominant, yeah, that they've been in skiing.
Speaker 13: Thank you.
Speaker 2: Okay, I think he accepted my apology. They're the UCLA basketball of skiing, Utah, My bad should have known that. Although if you ask the athletic director, what do you want to be known as? You know, we're the skiing school, or do you want to be known as a football school. We want we're going to change our name to ski You Jim in Michigan and people are getting territory oriel here. Hey Jim, what's on your mind today?
Speaker 13: Not too much?
Speaker 14: Dan, A good morning. Uh, you know Michigan, and I'm gonna say Michigan Football school. And not even just because you know, even though we're playing great basketball right now, when you hear the word Michigan, you automatically think of the big House.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think of the helmets. Yeah. Absolutely. Let me see Caleb in Augusta.
Speaker 9: Hi, Caleb, Hi, Dan six two two sixty And question for you and the boys, how many championships would Bill Belichick have to win at UNC for it to be considered a football school over a basketball school.
Speaker 3: One, thank thank you, k Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yes, if Bill Belichick wins a championship in North Carolina, they're a.
Speaker 3: Football school.
Speaker 4: Out of Carolina.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: No, they may not want that, but they would be viewed as they would be viewed as a football made.
Speaker 12: Michael Jordan that they're never going to be a football school.
Speaker 3: Ever, they didn't make Michael.
Speaker 12: The football team is wearing a Jordan logo.
Speaker 3: They kept Jordan down. Yes, they didn't make him. They kept him down.
Speaker 4: Never will Carolina be a football Never.
Speaker 12: They could win three straight and they're still If.
Speaker 2: North Carolina won three straight national titles in football, yes, yeah. But the basketball team, you know, they just barely they limped in. They trickled into the first four, yes, mark, But.
Speaker 4: They went to the final four in twenty twenty two, so it's not like they've been on a forty year downside.
Speaker 3: Okay, So when's their last national title.
Speaker 4: I'm gonna say twenty seventeen.
Speaker 6: Okay, yes, Paul, Yeah, North Carolina in the past twenty five years had two seasons with ten or more winks.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 6: If they won a title in football, they'd be like renting themselves as like a temp as a football and like a holding pattern til basketball took over.
Speaker 3: Be a pretty big deal.
Speaker 2: If they won a national title at North Carolina, You got that right.
Speaker 7: I'm I'm just putting it would be a pretty like a devastating blow to nil. Actually, we'd be like, oh, okay, now nil has gone too far.
Speaker 3: If these dudes are winning.
Speaker 7: If this school is winning a national championship in football, we need to curb nil right now.
Speaker 2: Look, if Belichick's girlfriend is running the collective, they're going to win. She's gonna make some deals. She's gonna get some things done there behind the scenes, guaranteed. I mean, if you get Bill Belichick to lie on his back on the beach and hold you up like you're an airplane, she can do anything. It's like, hey, Bill, Yeah, how about you lie on your back and we let something go viral?
Speaker 3: What's viral? No, it'll go all around the internet. Oh so it's not something I have wrong with me? A condition?
Speaker 9: No?
Speaker 3: No, no, you wanted to go viral.
Speaker 2: Okay, you lie on your back in the sand with your shorts on and those big muscular thighs and then you hold me up and then I'm gonna be like, I'm flying.
Speaker 3: Okay if she can get him to do that, come on, Yeah, Paul.
Speaker 6: Bill's girlfriend would be like, who's Michael Jordan is that?
Speaker 3: It seems you know his name is the same as the Jordan brand. Imagine that you played basketball.
Speaker 2: Yeah, all right, let me take a break. Tom Iszo is going to join us.
Speaker 3: After this. We'll get to more of your phone calls as well. Dan Patrick's show.
Speaker 1: Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the nation. Catch all of our shows at Foxsports Radio dot com and within the iHeartRadio app. Search FSR to listen live.
Speaker 15: Hey, Steve Covino and I'm Rich David and together We're Covino and Rich on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 3: You could catch us.
Speaker 15: Weekdays from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and of course the iHeartRadio app. Why should you listen to Covino and Rich. We talk about everything life, sports, relationships, what's.
Speaker 3: Going on in the world.
Speaker 15: We have a lot of fun talking about the stories behind the stories in the world of sports and pop culture, stories that well other shows don't seem to have the time to discuss, and the fact that we've been friends for the last twenty years and still work together. I mean that says something, right, So check us out. We like to get you involved too. Take your phone calls, chop it up. As they say, I'd say the most interactive show on Fox Sports Radio, maybe the most interactive show on planet Earth. Be sure to check out Covino and Rich live on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio app from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific, And if you miss any of the live show, just search Covino and Rich wherever you get your podcasts, and of course on social media.
Speaker 3: That's Covino and Rich.
Speaker 2: Waiting for tom Izzo to join us. He had a problem with playing after ten o'clock. We're going to have him on at ten twenty Eastern time. I hope he's okay in the morning after ten o'clock. I know on the during the tournament he was upset that they had to play after ten o'clock out on the West coast. So we'll wait for the Michigan State head coach. Let's see Pat in South Carolina? Hi, Pat, what's on your mind today?
Speaker 5: Hello?
Speaker 8: Man six four hard two thirty hard. I am also a three time dd C club member and want to wait in on the Tennessee being definitely a football tool. But I have a Sat of the Day boy too.
Speaker 3: Okay, here we go with the stat of the Day.
Speaker 8: Tennessee is the only program in the country with a top ten in football, basketball, and baseball.
Speaker 2: All right, Sat, They brought to you by a Panini America, the official trading cards of The Dan Patrick Show sixteen times to the Sweet sixteen his yearly visit with The Dan Patrick Show. He is Hall of Famer Tom Izzo joining us on the program. What's your schedule today?
Speaker 16: My schedule. I got in here about seven, seven thirty and had a little film work, answered some texas and then talk to my staff about what we're going to do in practice and get a press conference in a little bit, some more staff meeting and then practice. That's my day.
Speaker 3: How's the voice?
Speaker 16: It's great? Great. Get a little sleep. He got a little sleep last night for the first time night before. Not much. But it's the same as every other coach, and just I'm a little older than some of them.
Speaker 2: The balance of coaching this week and the transfer portal, how do you focus on one when you need to and the other one when you need to.
Speaker 16: Yeah, you know, I'm putting everything towards my team. I owe them to that. I think, you know, recruiting is very important. The transfer portal to me isn't as important yet, but recruiting is very important. And yet my old boss used to have a theory says, problem with young assistants. They spend so much time getting the next player, they forget to take care of the one they got. And I think there's some validity to that. You know, there's a happy medium. My happy medium when you get to the sweet sixteen and on is you know, you don't always get here. So everything's going to be from my team, the players on my team. We'll let everybody else worry about the transfer portal. Hopefully winning helps somebody, even though you and I know it doesn't. It's all about the money now. But that's okay too.
Speaker 2: But help me with the philosophy of recruiting, because you don't have many one of don's, like Jason Richardson, was a one and done. I don't do you go at you know, do you try to go after the one and donners or do you have that philosophy of I'll take the guy who might stay here three or four years.
Speaker 3: No, I'd love to.
Speaker 16: Have Jared Jackson, Miles Bridges, you know, where guys Gary Harris that we're one in two years and done, and you know, you got to have some those kind of talented players, you know, to do that. But no, I don't shy away from that at all. It's just they're not as easy to get, you know, for the most part, A lot of those programs, you know, Duke and Kentucky has had more of those kind of players. Maybe Kansas some, but I don't think there's as many programs as you think there are that are getting those kind of players.
Speaker 3: How do you coach differently in March than November?
Speaker 16: You know, I don't think I coached that much differently. I just think that there's kind of a culture and a feel here that when it comes to February, everybody knows the NCAA tournament. We've had some success in it, and I think I think the players that come here expect everything to be ratcheted up a little bit as you get to the end of the year, and it's exciting. It's not a you know, like my players after we won on Sunday, The first thing they said in the locker room, because usually we give them Monday off, is let's practice Monday. That came from the players, you know, so they know what time of year it is and they know what they got to do.
Speaker 2: Is Michigan State a football school or a basketball school?
Speaker 16: It's a football school, which I think ninety percent of these schools are. You know, we all I have such a great relationship with all the football guys here. I've always had a great relationship with them because I realized that they're still making seventy percent of the money. What I think is unique about Michigan State, and there's a couple of schools that have this, is we've been pretty successful in both. You know, nine years ago we both went to a Final four. Those are what's really exciting about schools like this.
Speaker 2: Ever coached again a coach that you don't like, Like.
Speaker 16: Sure, sure you do, even though I get along with most of the coaches, But there's coaches I wouldn't say don't like. Maybe I didn't respect as much because the things that were going on. Now that's changed now because we don't have any rules anymore. So you know, it's easier now I can like everybody.
Speaker 2: Okay, but if you know such, so are we talking about if somebody was cheating, Like you're going to face somebody and you know they were cheating, that's when you have that.
Speaker 3: I don't respect you.
Speaker 16: That's what I have privately. I don't share that publicly very often.
Speaker 2: But I mean, but what's it like in the handshake line? You don't walk by and go cheater and then just good game, good game, good game, cheater, good game, good game.
Speaker 11: Yeah.
Speaker 16: I don't do that at all. I think I respect every coach I go against because even the guys that I thought were doing stuff back in the day, I know how hard these jobs are. And Judge used to say the game makes fools of us all. Well, that there's some truth to that.
Speaker 2: When's the last time you ask Magic Johnson to help you with the recruit.
Speaker 16: I'll ask them all the time, but I really don't have to ask him. You know, he's always tweeting out something or he's saying something, and you know, now they're actually allowed to help you legally. Yeah, if you come to campus and they get there. It used to be where you know, if you had a football game and just happened a Magic seats were behind the recruit seat, but now you can sit them right with them as long as they're on campus. But you know, Magic's been great. I mean a lot of the former players that I coached have been great with it, and it helps when you have but Jason Richardson, Jace Richardson, the son of a player that's getting good. I'm going for grandsons though.
Speaker 2: Now, yeah, how much longer you got these coaches who are saying I can't, I don't want to do it anymore. You know, it's transfer portal nil and it's just not the way it once was. So what's motivating you to continue to do this stubbornness?
Speaker 16: To be honestly, it's total stubbornness. I still love what I do. I don't like what has gone on. I don't think anybody does, to be very honest with you, and you know, some say it, some don't say it. But right now I've taken a better, better stance with myself. For a couple of years, I was on all those committees and I just kind of gotten off where I don't worry about my team and not worry about all the things that I can't control. And unfortunately, nobody can control what's going on right now. There is no control. That saddens me for our profession. But it is what it is. So I when in Rome do like the Romans.
Speaker 2: You know, it sounded like a grumpy old man, get off my lawn. Where you were talking about playing games after ten o'clock on the West coast.
Speaker 3: In the tournament, it was rumty.
Speaker 16: I just think it's very difficult to do that. You know, we do, Dan, I don't know what you did at Dayton, but we do go to school here too. You know we are a student athlete.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we never did that at Dayton.
Speaker 16: I know, I know, I understand that. But when you get back at three in the morning, now you gotta prep. It's just more difficult. I understand that TV pays the bills. I love all the TV people, so I got I got no problem. But it does get to wear on you sitting there all day and that it's one part I'd like to see changed a little bit. But it is what it is. So I I don't think I sounded grumpy about it. I expressed my opinion, but you express your opinion all the time.
Speaker 3: Grumpy. Yes, I'm gonna get off my line.
Speaker 2: Guy, I think this had to do with your bedtime, and that's what you were bothered by.
Speaker 1: Now, I don't go to sleep now listen with the Dratsford Bortal.
Speaker 16: You don't go to sleep everthon, you got to You've got to go over and sit with your players, make sure nobody's flying.
Speaker 2: Do you have your phone on vibrate? Yeah, by your bed? Yeah, okay after midnight? Oh yeah, all the time. I mean, you never know what's going to happen. You know, there's a lot of things that happened. But but if you had to bail somebody out of jail or anything like that, have I had to in the past.
Speaker 16: There's things like that that happened. Yeah, you know, sometimes it's not always for bad things, you know, parking tickets and he gets picked up or something. But yeah, any coach that tells you they don't have their phone on at night or they sleep probably lying to you.
Speaker 2: Single best player you ever coached against was who.
Speaker 16: Ah boy. You know, when I was an assistant shack, we played against I played against grand Hill. I thought was one of the greatest players. But boy, that's a loaded question, and I'm not saying that against anybody they're just man when you're at this level. He played against a lot of great players.
Speaker 3: What was the scouting report on Shock? Really big? I was just a GA back then.
Speaker 16: That was in my early days, and I remember telling jud Boy, that guy's a big guy, you know. But he was good.
Speaker 10: He was good.
Speaker 3: I like Shack, but you knew who was so good? Was Chris Jackson?
Speaker 16: He was?
Speaker 3: He was good more more my size too.
Speaker 16: That's why I should like a lot more.
Speaker 3: But he was.
Speaker 2: I mean, imagine him in today's game. He would he would break you off the I mean off the dribble crossover. And he was so quick with that jumper.
Speaker 16: Yeah, and he could shoot it from long range. So he probably would fit in since the three is more prevalent now. I don't even think the three had just come in then. It was right around that time because I know we had Scott Skyles and we didn't have a three point shot then that was an eighty six.
Speaker 2: Now, help me, is the story true about Scott Scounds and John Thompson?
Speaker 16: Uh?
Speaker 3: The it was Actually it was in Dayton yet that at the tournament, right.
Speaker 16: Yeah, there was nothing bad with John Thompson, but they really got after him. The first half, and uh, I think Scott was zero for nine and I just remember that halftime. He was sitting in there and uh, We're playing Georgetown, and I mean he was seating, you know, and he played really good the second half. He woned. So you know, Scott had a tendency to talk stuff, but uh, tell you what, he was a help player?
Speaker 3: Did he did?
Speaker 2: He say to Thompson while dribbling the ball to John on the sidelines, why didn't you get somebody bleeping out here who can guard me?
Speaker 16: Did he guard me?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 16: You know, I didn't hear it. I heard about it, but I do believe it. I do believe it. It was. It was one of the things that Scott was. He was good at but he backed up what he said. So you got to give him credit there.
Speaker 2: Uh, great to talk to you again. I'll talk to you next year at this time, all right.
Speaker 11: You and I'm still going to be here.
Speaker 3: I will be were you to be in a transfer portal?
Speaker 16: Are you going somewhere else?
Speaker 3: I got three more years? Do you have three more years?
Speaker 16: I got seven?
Speaker 3: You're gonna be there seven more years?
Speaker 16: Oh? I got seven on my contract?
Speaker 3: Yeah, but you guys don't live up to those contracts.
Speaker 16: Well, do you live up the years?
Speaker 3: Yes, I'm my boss.
Speaker 16: You know what, my money because I do enjoy you. You're crazy in your own way, but so am I. Someday, when we're done, we'll play golf and get along.
Speaker 2: I would like to play one on one with you in basketbare you go. I'm going to slap the floor just to let you know I'm gonna lock you down.
Speaker 3: Coach.
Speaker 2: You can bring in Steve Maryuci if you want to. I don't care.
Speaker 16: I'm breaking Mooch.
Speaker 3: He didn't scare me. Mooch doesn't scare me either.
Speaker 16: Well, I appreciate you having me on Dan, and you have a good rest of the tournament. I'll try to do the same.
Speaker 2: All right, coach. That's tom Is Hall of Famer. They got ole miss or what was it who called it olay miss? Somebody back at ESPN. Their mother was in a bracket challenge and maybe it was it feel the show Killer's mom. It was who said, oh, I'm going to take Olay miss Olay.
Speaker 3: Olay, Olay.
Speaker 2: Let me see Peter in Colorado. Yeah, I've known Izzo a long long time.
Speaker 17: Hey Pete, Hey guys, so I have not called into your show probably ever, but I've been listening to you since you were for thirty years or something like that. So I called in and it brought me to an automated message and I asked if I was fifty years or older, and I was like, that seems weird, but okay. And then there was another automated voice that came on and asked me if I told me I could get a medical alert bracelet for a great price right now. So I called eight eight eight three DP show and I thought maybe you were fritzy, because.
Speaker 3: I might enjoy that. But my real question was, yes.
Speaker 17: My real question, I'm from Minnesota, So what what school is Minnesota?
Speaker 3: I didn't even know.
Speaker 2: Okay, I'm gonna take hockey. They're known for hockey. But if you say if this is basketball or football, I would probably say football. Got a charismatic coach there, but yeah, you're a hockey school.
Speaker 3: Definitely. Chris in New Jersey, Hi, Chris, what's on your mind?
Speaker 13: Hey Dan?
Speaker 17: Thanks for taking my call?
Speaker 18: Yep, I got to bring up the Florida Gators. You know they go back they go football, two titles with Tim Tebow and then you go back to back with basketball, not to mention he and then he threw in baseball I think within like a five year period there and then plus al Horford is still repping that Florida Gators championship at a high I mean, come on, thanks thinking my call.
Speaker 8: Guys.
Speaker 2: Wait, I didn't dispute anything with Florida, Chris, what what's the argument on?
Speaker 11: No?
Speaker 18: No, I was just saying, because that seems like everyone's getting a little heated bringing up like different sports, So I just had to throw in Florida there that they're kind of they did like a powerhouse move there for all three sports at one point.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, we brought that up with Urban and Billy Donovan. Now are they more of a basketball school than a football school? I mean, you still think of Florida, I think of Florida football. But it's and it's you can be too close to it. You can be an alum and you can say, oh no, we're this. I'm just saying from a national perspective from the outside looking in. When you say this school, you think of what athletically. If I say UCLA, you think.
Speaker 3: Basketball, basketball?
Speaker 19: Right?
Speaker 3: Sure, Yeah, for sure, there's no football there.
Speaker 2: Usc football Oregon football, Arizona State.
Speaker 3: Party.
Speaker 6: Sorry the first thought.
Speaker 2: Alrighty, let me take a break here. Oh, when we come back, Pill in the blank? Phil in the blank?
Speaker 3: Is here? Week?
Speaker 2: Just calling Phil? Who's the uh see woo? Who's the chip Inski? Doctor chip Inski? Is that his nickname? The golfer? Men Wu Lee?
Speaker 3: Is that what it is?
Speaker 8: Yeah?
Speaker 2: I think it's We talked about this nickname menu Lee men Wu Lee?
Speaker 3: Is doctor chip Inski?
Speaker 6: Not an actual doctor?
Speaker 3: Just check?
Speaker 6: Not an actual doctor? Advanced degree.
Speaker 3: Take a break. We're back after this.
Speaker 1: Be sure to catch the live edition of The Dan Patrick Show weekdays at nine am Eastern six am Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio wapp.
Speaker 2: All right, we're gonna play fill in the blank. I'll read a statement and then you'll fill in the blank.
Speaker 3: Marvin.
Speaker 2: Oh everything, okay, Marvin, you're you're dashing in here?
Speaker 3: Everything? Okay?
Speaker 4: Yes, it is sorry about that.
Speaker 3: Did you forget that we were doing a show?
Speaker 16: No?
Speaker 12: No, no, I did not.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 2: Sometimes you get in the zone out there on the basketball floor.
Speaker 4: No I was not out there.
Speaker 2: Okay, all right, we're ready to play fill in the blank. All right, So Todd, I'm gonna start with you. I'll read the statement. The Titans should take Blank with the number one overall.
Speaker 19: Pick, the best deal they can get for several drafts elections.
Speaker 2: Okay, so they should take a trade for the number one pick.
Speaker 12: That was ten words.
Speaker 3: But uh, it's okay. You could have just said a trade.
Speaker 2: Okay, all right, fair enough, seatan fill in the blank. Titans should take Blank, take trade. Okay, yes, Marvin cam Ward, all right, Paul, trade offers. Titan should take cam Ward with the number one pick. The options are Cali Peri, Patino, Izzo, I'd want my son to play for Frank don Rick Pattino.
Speaker 3: Setan.
Speaker 2: Uh, actually, in exactly that order, Cali Peri, Patino Iszo. Gotta have your name end in a vow? Marvin, what about you?
Speaker 4: Patino?
Speaker 3: Eight?
Speaker 6: Paul, this is a toughie and I wrote it. Calipari.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna say Calipari two. I think.
Speaker 2: So I'm trying to figure where am I going to have some fun? I mean, really, that's what it's come down to.
Speaker 3: Yes, you know.
Speaker 7: Two like, uh, he just seems to be a father figure that I'm comfortable with. Count Berry, Yeah, okay, yeah, he seems to be like a guy. That all right, If you're going to sort of help me raise my son, I'm cool with you doing that.
Speaker 2: Okay, Yeah, I just don't want to get yelled at. That's all I got yelled at when I went to Eastern Kentucky.
Speaker 3: I don't want to get yelled at anymore.
Speaker 2: Yukon is a blank basketball school. Todd Renown, Okay, Seaton very good, Marvin the best. I think Paul was going for something else here was yes.
Speaker 3: Good out of us.
Speaker 2: Nobody took the bait, nobody took debate. If it's a when men's are women's basketball school, Paul, let me ask you your question. Yukon is a blank basketball school.
Speaker 6: I was going to go women's, but I'm going to go underrated basketball school.
Speaker 3: Underrated.
Speaker 6: The men's program is actually underrated because of the women's program. When they still talk about blue bloods as if North Carolina and Indiana, they never throw you CON's name in or generation in.
Speaker 2: I wish the school I went to were a big time blank school god.
Speaker 19: Stand up comedian training. It would be less nervous and more likely to go on stage and.
Speaker 3: In New York City.
Speaker 19: I know thanks to you, I got on stage I had no business being on. But that being said, it would have been nice to have maybe honed my craft at an earlier at age it and be more brave. I don't think you're coachable, but hey, yeah, Ny, you didn't offer that. They had a film school, in law, school of medicine, everything. I don't think they had to stand up comedy classes.
Speaker 3: Adam Sandler went there. Oh he did that, Yes, he did, Seaton.
Speaker 2: I wish the school I went to were a big time blank school.
Speaker 7: Uh yeah, yeah, that's a tricky one because I went to West Virginia. Good football, good basketball, great parties. It's actually got a great education. I wish that it was a big time how about.
Speaker 12: This better for me at that moment in my life school?
Speaker 3: Okay, okay.
Speaker 12: I always said I.
Speaker 7: Was more prepared for West Virginia than West Virginia was prepared for me. I was well versed in many of the wrong sides of collegiate life, and I was a honors.
Speaker 3: Student Marvin.
Speaker 12: Great Weather School.
Speaker 3: Okay, oh all right, Paul.
Speaker 6: I wish the school I went to a big time basketball school, heavyweight.
Speaker 2: I wish the school I went to were a big time past fail school that would have been nice.
Speaker 12: I would have graduated.
Speaker 3: Yes, sure, like Brown University. It's past fail.
Speaker 2: I think I could pretty I could navigate that retiring at okay, this is the Puka Nakua story. Puka Nakua says that he wants to retire at.
Speaker 20: And that's what I want to retire at the age of thirty. I'm twenty three right now, I'm going into year three. I think of Aaron Donald, like man, like to go out at the top.
Speaker 4: I think it would be super cool.
Speaker 20: But then also be like yo, like I want to I want to have a big family, just like I want. I want to have at least the starting five. I'm like, I came from a big family. He said, thirty five boys. I need five boys for sure, that's cool. But also be like man, I want to be able to be a part of their lives and like like be as active as I can with them. So from like I don't want to be the injuries are something that you can't control. Part of the games. Like I'm man, like you never know. Hopefully like the rest of our career go healthy. But I'm like, man, you have shoulder surgery, you have knee surgery, you have ankle and be like, yo, like, by the time my kids could be eighteen, I'm like, I could be very walking if I like, if you play the game, and like you sustain all the injuries.
Speaker 12: I want to retire early.
Speaker 2: Okay, it's early to be talking about retiring early, But when you're twenty three, thirty sounds really old. He's going to be twenty four. Aaron Donald retired at thirty, and I understand that you want to be able to retire and and raise a family. And at that position, he's just seeing Cooper cup uh, you know, kind of get kicked to the curb by the rams at that age. I don't know if you're he's going to get one big contract, he might not get another one. There, So, retiring at thirty sounds blank. Todd wonderfully odd, Okay.
Speaker 3: Seaton.
Speaker 12: Like science fiction or a fairy tale, not even real.
Speaker 2: Marvin rich as hell, Paul uncomfortable. Retiring at thirty sounds regretful. Regretful. That's fill in the blank.
Speaker 3: We did it.
Speaker 2: We did another episode of filling the blank. Congratulations job well done. No really, round of applause for all you guys.
Speaker 3: Then I like.
Speaker 2: Calling the black It's fun yeah, Paul gives great thought to that. Oh, you don't a medium amount of it. Okay, yeah, but nobody took the bait. Connecticutte is a blank basketball school. A very good yes, yes, very well rounded topical. Final hour on the way more phone calls eight seven to seven to three DP show operator sitting by taking your phone calls. I still got to get you back on stage to do stand up one more time in the next three years.
Speaker 12: I love making people laugh.
Speaker 19: It just gets a little nervous.
Speaker 3: Sometimes that's not called for at all.