Speaker 1: You like to Just Baseball Show and want to make your own, let me tell you about Anchor. It's free. There's a creation tool that allows you to record and edit your podcast right from your phone or computer. Now you can even add any song from Spotify directly to your episodes. The possibilities are endless for what you can create, whether it's music analysis, your own radio show, or something the world's never seen before. Anchor will distribute your podcast for you so it can be heard on Spotify, Apple Podcasts, and much more. You can make money from your podcast with no minimum listenership. It's everything you need to make a podcast in one place. So download the free Anchor app or go to anchor dot fm to get started.
Speaker 2: We will see you to.
Speaker 1: Welcome me hang out.
Speaker 2: This is a big episode Tuesday, November sixteenth, Just Baseball Show, Jack mcmull and Peter Apple. To be honest, this feels like our full season recap, but individually MLB the All MLB Team, right, that's going to be announced. We're gonna fill out our Just Baseball ballot for the All MLB Team. This really does feel like a season in review, lauding the accomplishments of the best players in baseball.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, and also when we were deciding on how we were going to do it right, we were thinking, should you have your own MLB team? And I have my own and then we argue. But when you consider how many players need to be talked about, and if you add the arguments into it, we're looking at a five hour podcast. So we saved all the arguments for the pre recording and this is both of our all MLB team, and I'm very excited. I am very excited because I mean, what's more fun than this? I mean maybe giving out billions of dollars in contracts, but also just saying who was the best of twenty twenty one?
Speaker 2: I love it, and just paying homage to the freaks that are in our game, which is very fun. Yet we couldn't get away with a five hour podcast. We don't have the clout that Joe Rogan has. Also, on a Joe Rogan related note, I'm getting my booster shot today for the vaccine, So very excited about that.
Speaker 1: Go get your shots.
Speaker 2: I feel great and I cannot wear a mask in bars and I feel fine.
Speaker 1: It's the crazy thing about New York City too. Vaccine passport or you're just not getting in anywhere.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you heard it Clear, No, it's clear It Clear is an app that you can have like your proof of vaccination on. But it's also like TSA pre Check on steroids in yeah, a bunch of different airports. So like, I don't know what the difference is. John Rothstein is like the best college basketball follow on Twitter, and he's got one of his quick one liners where you know, he's just like, you know, Chris Holtman, more meticulous at a forensics officer, that type of thing. Villanova basketball has become a Fortune five hundred company. His one that he started with is TSA pre Check Life Altering and now it's clear TSA pre Check on Steroids or something like that, and it apparently it's awesome. So I got to look into Clear.
Speaker 1: So we mentioned the steroids part. You just mentioned steroids, and I saw in yesterday's On Monday's podcast episode you and arm were talking about steroids. I haven't gotten a chance to listen because we're recording kind of early on Monday. Can you just elaborate on a little bit of the steroids because I saw steroids might be coming back, and I was like, wait, what the hell did you guys talk about Yeah? No, So what we were talking about was this is this is the deciding year for steroids in baseball history in terms of the Hall of Fame vote. So you've got Bonds and Clemens on their tenth year on the ballot, so if they don't make it this year, they're off and it's up to the senior vote to get them in.
Speaker 2: This is also a Rod and Poppy's first year on the ballot, So if Bons and Clemens get in, a Rod and Poppy should be first ballot Hall of Famers. But if Bon's and Clemens don't get in, then that probably means that a Rod and Poppy are not getting in. There are ten years on there, and if they do in like year four or five, then it's unfair to Bonds and Clemens, who were objectively better at baseball and should be in the Hall of Fame as opposed to a Rod and Poppy.
Speaker 1: And this is kind of setting the precedent right, because I don't think that keeping a Mark maguire or a Sammy Sosa out of the Hall of Fame means that Barry Bonds or Roger Clemens shouldn't make it, Because I think we all know that. Maybe we don't all know this for sure, but I think it's you know, probable that Roger Clemens and Barry Bonds, along with Alex Rodriguez, would have made the Hall of Fame without steroids, which is so hard to say, but I feel like we all kind of believe it. So if Bonds, okay, throw it back to you, do you think that they get in and would you put them in the Hall of Fame.
Speaker 2: I don't think that they get in. I personally would put them in, and I agree I would too.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: I elaborate on this more in yesterday's podcast, So go back and listen to Monday's Just Baseball Show if you want my full thoughts on this. But Dan Bernstein, who was a sports talk host in Chicago, longtime sports talk hoost, has a great perspective on what the Hall of Fame is now.
Speaker 1: It's a museum.
Speaker 2: It is a museum that chronicles what happens in baseball's history. The steroid era was part of baseball history, and you could make it the argument that the best hitter ever was a victim of the steroid era or a subject of the steroid era. Right, he might have been one of the villains of the steroid era, Barry Bonds.
Speaker 1: If you had to take.
Speaker 2: Barry Bonds's career numbers and put them up against anybody, Barry Bonds is probably the greatest hitter of all time. Maybe Hank maybe Willie Mays. But like I'm taking Barry Bonds's numbers, the OGP, there are years where he had an OBP near six hundred.
Speaker 1: He just I mean, he got one pitcher game and hit it out, and then the other they would just walk him. They intentionally walked him with the bases loaded. Yeah. That's why when I'm looking back on the greatest picture of all time, I sometimes am like, you know what, Page Martinez is the greatest pitcher ever because not only was he the elite of the elite in terms of the numbers across baseball history just some of those specific seasons, but when you move when you realize that he was doing it against a bunch of dudes who are roided up, and he has a pitcher was never accused or tested positive for steroids either. So that's why I say Pago Martinez might be the best pitcher of all time because he pitched in the toughest ERA four pitchers. Yeah, and stacks up against the greats, you know.
Speaker 2: And you could also make the argument that that's why Griffy is the greatest player of all time because Ken Griffy Junior did this clean while other people were doing it not clean.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but Willie Mays is still better than Ken Griffy jeer all the time. I mean, what was Willy May's dirty?
Speaker 2: We don't know, no, But like I'm saying, I mean, Griffy's got comparable numbers to Willie Mays.
Speaker 1: But we can spend Yeah, many, we got to get into All MLB.
Speaker 2: We're gonna have multiple Hall of Fame episodes. Let's talk All MLB team. I love that this is something that Major League Baseball is doing now because first team All NBA, first Team All Defense, like that is sick if your first or second team All NBA.
Speaker 1: I always thought it was cool, especially first I kind of wish I guess Gold Gloves is first team All Defense. But we've gotten in this conversation before. They just don't do that great a job at deciding the Gold Glove winner, so we don't really get a first team All Defense.
Speaker 2: Spoiler alert, but somebody we're going to get into right away, won a Gold Glove this year when they just should not have won a Gold Glove.
Speaker 1: This, Yeah, yeah, that's how it. Yeah, it's not. But here's what we're gonna do.
Speaker 2: We're gonna give you a rundown of the All MLB candidates and you can vote on MLB dot com. Just search all MLB Team vote and you can vote there. There are like eight to ten candidates per position listed, more for outfielders and starting pitchers. But the way that the vote works is a lot like an All Star vote. You select one at each position, including DH You select five starting pitchers and two relievers. Three outfielders you select as well. So we're going to run through We're going to give you a brief statistical rundown of each candidate, tell you why they're worthy. We also put together our All MLB team, so we will tell you the winners at the end of each position, breaking it down. We're also going to run through the team at the end of the pot. Right Like, this is gonna take a lot of time, So let's.
Speaker 1: Yeah that we got There's a lot of players and a lot of players that deserve some love too, So yeah, we got. Let's just start with first base.
Speaker 2: Hey, before U before we get into this. About an hour ago, the Beloit Snappers, the high affiliate for the Marlins, totally rebranded and they are now the Beloit Skycarp.
Speaker 1: The names in minor league baseball, I don't get them. I mean they're they're kind of hilarious, but I mean, you're the voice of the ten Caps. What the hell is a ten cap?
Speaker 2: It's an apple that wears a pot on its head.
Speaker 1: Uh, what's wrong with like being like the Hawks or the Eagles or the Lions. I mean these are all just kind of basic butt.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but like the Skycarp, Yeah.
Speaker 1: It makes my league. Let's talk first base.
Speaker 2: Let's start with the guy that won a Gold Glove but shouldn't have won a Gold Glove. Paul Goldschmidt should be considered he had a negative defensive war, but he still won a gold. He's been a really good defensive first baseman the entirety of his career, so this felt like a benefit of the doubt thing. But Paul Goldschmidt was sneaky with a two ninety four clip, thirty one bombs and ninety nine RBIs is Goldie back.
Speaker 1: Well, these absolutely back. I don't know if he ever really left. Yeah, I think maybe he had some down seasons according to him and a guy we're gonna get into later, Mookie Betts, a down season according to him, but still elite, and I feel like Goldschman has ranked with the elite first basemans for a while now. The only question that in Paul Goldschmith's career is whether he becomes a Hall of Famer when it's all said and done. I mean, Goldschman has turned in a fantastic career and he turned in another phenomenal season in twenty twenty one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he needs to do more, and his problem was he kind of dipped into obscurity with Arizona for a little bit. But he's putting up crazy good numbers. Remember he started really poorly this year. He almost kind of gave me Kevin Love vibes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, with the Timberwolves putting up twenty three and fourteen, with the Diamondbacks just hitting three hundred and thirty bombs. No, but he's noticing. Then he goes over the Cardinals. Doesn't have a great start, like you said, Also, not a great start to twenty twenty one, but then the second half it was like, I'm one of the best first basement. I might be the best first basement in baseball, maybe outside of our winner. So he definitely deserves to be in this mention totally.
Speaker 2: Joey Vado another guy that we got to mention one forty WRC plus. Vado put together the third best power season of his career at age thirty seven. His two better seasons power wise resulted in an NLMVP and a second place finish in NLMVP. This was also the highest strikeout rate of his career, but he surrendered the insane bat to ball skills for more home runs and more RBIs and it worked for him.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Vado still bangs, that's all I gotta say. Still bangs. It's so cool to see him back too, because he's one of the more likable players to watch in baseball as well. I just love that Joey Vado had this type of season and he's back at the conversation for all MLB team It's crazy.
Speaker 2: He's also funny as hell.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's great. I love everything about him.
Speaker 2: His interactions with the fans are great and they're wholesome or they're hilarious at the fans being a dick.
Speaker 1: Hold you accountable too.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly our third guy to be considered. But you know, his close no cigar was future New York Yankee Matt Olson. Eighth in baseball with a one forty six WRC plus thirty nine bombs one hundred and eleven RBIs struck out seventeen percent of the time, which is low, walked thirteen percent of the time.
Speaker 1: He's a really good hitter. Probably finishes two I would say, probably the second best season out of first baseman this year, and it's looking increasingly increasingly like he will be a future New York Yankee. But for the A's he was phenomenal. And also it's so hard to hit in Oakland to have that type of offensive season. I mean, we haven't seen offensive seasons like that since twenty fourteen. Donaldson and matt Olsen turned that type of season. He's a stud and put him in Yankee Stadium look pretty good.
Speaker 2: Hey, doesn't Matt Olsen feel like the kid that would get off the bus when you were playing like a home game in high school? He was the kid that got off the bus that you looked at and was like, oh my god, he's gonna rip my heart out.
Speaker 1: I remember looking at Jack Flaherty faced him in high school. He's on the Mount of usc just so much more athletic, just so much bigger. And that's how matt Olsen looks like in the majors.
Speaker 2: Yeah, seriously, I mean with that big goal.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's just like, how are you going to get him out?
Speaker 2: I don't know. He doesn't get out often.
Speaker 1: And that's why I'm excited for him moving forward to because was this a season that we should come to expect for Matt Olson? Was this a peak year? I don't know exactly, but I know he's going to be a very good player for a long time.
Speaker 2: We got to look at this home run Derby can testants with the lowest strikeout rate, Like I bet Soto is a little bit lower, but Matt Olson's not far off at seventeen percent. So a home run Derby participant with those bat to ball skills, that's a very enticing player.
Speaker 1: That's a good point. That is a very enticing player.
Speaker 2: Our selection for the All MLB first baseman is I think a shoe in here. Vladdie Guerrero Junior. He led major League Baseball with forty eight home runs.
Speaker 1: He was tied with.
Speaker 2: Sal Perez in that clip. He led major League baseball with three hundred and sixty three total bases. Total bases is every time you get on base, they add the bases you get out of the batter's box. So a single is one total base, a triple is three, a home runs four. He led baseball in total bases, He led baseball in runs scored. He was getting on base all the time. He was second in WRC plus only to Bryce. He was one of two players with Bryce with an OPS over one thousand. He was Fangrafts the leader in offensive war. Laddie Junior puts together one of the best hitting seasons we've seen in quite some time.
Speaker 1: And I could keep going into his numbers in the regular season of how amazing he was. We could just keep listening him off what he let in. But I want to take you back to the beginning of the season, spring training, even before spring training, this was a guy who looked like a potential superstar but just was straight up fat. He was a fat guy. He was big, he was bulky. The blue Jay said, you gotta drop weight, and once you drop weight, You're gonna become one of the best hitters in baseball, and he's like, you know what, all right, drops forty pounds, walks into spring training has I think at the time, nine of the top ten hardest hits in spring training was raking balls. And we said at the beginning of the season, this is the Vladimir Row Junior coming out party, and that's exactly what happened. He was a hair away from winning the Triple Crown.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: The only question now is is vladimirk Er Junior already a top ten player or do we need one more season, because I mean, I feel like this is what we should expect going forward, but I don't know. We only did it once.
Speaker 2: So if he gets anywhere close to doing this again, he is, and every number can take a dip. But if he gets in the same ballpark in all these categories again, he's a top ten hitter in baseball.
Speaker 1: Easy. He might be a top five hitter in baseball. That's what I was saying. Maybe it's just a straight hitter. You could call him top three, you could.
Speaker 2: Call him top three, you can ten right now.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So I think it's fringe. It's just if you called him a top ten player, I'd be like, makes sense. Yeah. If you didn't and said I need you to see a little bit more, I'd be like, yeah, totally fine. But I think we all understand the talent level is top ten. He had a share of the home run title with forty eight. Do you get to cash out on that? What were yours when you said Vladdie to lead the league in bombs plus forty four hundred? Lost? He didn't lead the league home runs.
Speaker 2: He had to share of the league lead. That's not leading the league.
Speaker 1: Didn't lead the league. That's no, no, no. I think that's why the odds were how they were. Plus forty four hundred. He had to lead the league in home runs, Yeah.
Speaker 2: But he did.
Speaker 1: But he didn't. But he did, but I know he died for the league. It was a very small bet, so I'm not too upset about it. But yeah, it did se plus forty four hundred, and I will give him credit for absolutely nailing that. Thank you. Let's go to second base.
Speaker 2: A guy that should be considered on the All MLB team is Brandon Laue with the Tampa Bay Rays. Loo hitting thirty nine homers, is weirder than Mitch Hanneger hitting thirty nine homers. Both those guys are just like, what the hell? He had an eight to sixty three and a one thirty seven WRC. Plus I know you watched Lao all the time. Being in the Al East just breaks the power with him.
Speaker 1: I mean, he's not a guy who's gonna get you four hundred and fifty foot home runs, but I mean we're talking three to eighty line drive out of the park forty times. Yeah, I know, he's just But the thing is he's also he strics out a lot, and personally, I just watching him as a Yankee to Array, I hated him, which goes to show how good he was. But he's also not been that great in the playoffs. But over the span of twenty twenty one, Brendon Lao deserves to be in this conversation.
Speaker 2: Yeah, my thing with Lao was there was just no sex appeal with him. There was some sex appeal with a lot of other guys in Tampa, but like, nothing about watching Brandon Lao had me hot and bothered.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because he doesn't do anything amazing, but he does everything well. And that goes to say for a lot of players on this list. They may not be No. Number One in one thing, but they're top five and a lot of things. And Brandon Le's not top five and a lot of things, but he still is very good across the board. The only thing I would improve is about the ball skills. When he hit thirty nine them runs and you're still getting on base and you have a solid ops and you're kind of making up for it in other ways, I say, you know what, You're still a beast. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Joey Vado had a transcendent power season for him. So did Jose Altuve, who should also be considered for all MLB's second base. Altuve had the best power season of his career. He hit thirty one homers, which tied a career high. He had eighty three RBIs, which was the second highest total of his career. He had the lowest strikeout rate that he has put up since twenty eighteen, and he had the highest walk rate in his career, so he was seeing more pitches, he was picking the right ones, and little Man hit thirty one bombs.
Speaker 1: Hall of famer, I mean, one of the clutches, one of the clutchest players. We also had a conversation about clutch that clutch isn't real. And it's an interesting conversation because when you hear me say that clutch isn't real, you're like.
Speaker 2: What why do you say that?
Speaker 1: Because all I'm hearing and I'm not I haven't made my full decision yet. But when you consider what a clutch player is, it's a player who comes up big in clutch moments, like with high leverage situations. More often than not, the good players often come up big in high leverage situations. Does that necessarily mean they're clutch or does that just mean that they're good? I think when we're talking about the word clutch, we should consider really good players and who was better in high leverage situations and that makes them more clutch. But I'm also and especially that variance in the stat on fangrafs too, how someone like a Derek Jeeter could have a positive clutch percentage and the negative year over year and not be every So it's it's a very complicated conversation and I don't necessarily have a strong opinion either way. I you know a guy's clutch, if he's clutched, we don't have to go that far. Into it. But JOSEL. Tuve has had a lot of clutch moments, especially in the playoffs. He's one of the all time playoff leaders in home runs. Jose Altuve, the five foot four Jose Altuve is one of the playoff leaders in home runs.
Speaker 2: For a long time, I thought clutch was about, you know, guys stepping up to the big moment. I think my newer way of thinking about it is, while there are a very select few that do step up to the moment, guys are Brandon clutch because they don't fall in the moment. I think a lot of guys cave. I think a lot of guys like the moment gets in their head. And the guys who who don't get all caught up in the moment, those guys are just more clutch. So I like that everybody else going down and you staying the same.
Speaker 1: That's what I think it is. I think it's should be when we're comparing good players and who is continually rising to the occasion and who falters. Yeah, not like David Freeze is just clutch because he just had that home run against the Ring, or he could the home run the triple and all that, and here like just like a clutch player. I don't know, but like Freeze could be clutch.
Speaker 2: Randy a rose Arena is clutch like he rises for the bigger moment. But those are two of the very few that you could possibly name. I think there are a lot of guys that just continue performing to their standards while the overwhelming majority of baseball falters in a high leverage moment.
Speaker 1: And Hotel is a perfect example of that of someone who rises to the occasion and definitely deserves to be on this All MLB team totally.
Speaker 2: One more thing that I want to say about clutch before we get to our next guy who should be considered. I did say that there is a stat to measured clutch. It's not listed on Savant or fan grafts. It's just called girth and they keep it in house. I think girth is is the clutch measurement. That's an astat to me.
Speaker 1: Earth rate correlation between clutch percentage and girth rate. Where does it neat metal expected weighted girth? Our next guy? Wow? Uh, this Tuesday episode took a turn. Huh.
Speaker 2: Our next guy to be considered for All MLB's second base position should be Ozzie Alby's. He's just a switch hitting second baseman with thirty bombs and one hundred and six RBIs. He went twenty for twenty four in his stolen base attempts. He won a World Series, he collected his second Silver Slugger. He plays pretty solid defense at second base. Ozzie Alby's for the next ten years is going to be considered.
Speaker 1: For this honor. I agree. And he's just under such a nice contract too, by the Braves. They locked him up for what do you know the exact numbers on that contract.
Speaker 2: Let me look at it right now. I want to say it's like seven years, thirty five.
Speaker 1: Seven years, thirty five million. Boom, Come on, come on, say what you want. You can even think he's overrated, because I've heard some of that in some circles, that his defense isn't actually as good as people think, the fact that he is a switch hitter, but from one side of the plate he's just really not that good. But overall Ozsi Alby's, nobody's going to debate that he's a great player. And at five million a year, are you kidding me? I mean, one of the best bargains in baseball.
Speaker 2: That's stupid and like we you know, we say that, oh, these guys shouldn't be complaining because Ozi Alby's is still making five million year what he does, and the amount of money that he returns to the Braves just for his production and his likability is valued at so much more than five million dollars. You can say that athletes are drastically overpaid, but the reality is, like Lebron, you can pay him any amount of money an annual salary to stay under the cap. Even if you paid him one hundred million dollars a year, his shoe brand brings in more.
Speaker 1: Money than that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't think more pies to Laker games.
Speaker 1: I was like, I don't think you could really ever pay him as worth in an NBA salary. Never, And you can't pay a lot of these guys, Like what do you pay one Sodo? Like what do you? I mean, we know what they're paying Mike Trout, but is that even worth it? Like what exactly does Mike trup bring the Angels nine wins? As in war? All right?
Speaker 2: Because you're still turning millions and millions of dollars worth of profit on these teams. If you're an owner if you're.
Speaker 1: Good to the let's get to the winner. Let's get to the winner.
Speaker 2: Marcus Semion's gonna get paid. Semon played in all one hundred and sixty two games, he led the league and played appearances. His forty five home runs were fourth in baseball. This was the first season of his career with over one hundred RBIs his first true season playing at second base. He wins a Gold Glove and a Silver Slugger, and he was the third finalist in a two horse race for American League MVP. Marcus Semion is your all MLB second basement. All of those numbers are impressive home runs. The RBIs everything I mean, the Gold Glove, the Silver Slugger. But what I really look back on is just like he was so durable, He played every single game while providing excellent defense and offensive production. Like he was really the far and away I think, the best second basement in baseball. And like you said, he can get paid, but he might not even be a second basement next year.
Speaker 1: Someone team might say, you know what, you're just that good, We're gonna put you back at short. Even though his defense at short wasn't that great. Is putting him at second base, maybe better for his offensive production. I mean, you saw Glabor when he moved from shortstop to second base. Was the you know, were the errors, the bad defense getting to his head affecting his performance at the plate. Was that happening possibly with Marcus Semion? So maybe does he consider that or he's like, you know what, I'm just so good, I don't care I'm playing short. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I think if I had to sign Marcus Simeon, I would put him at second base because.
Speaker 1: I would just try.
Speaker 2: Right, Okay, let's move on to third base, not third, let's move on to short. Brandon Crawford is the first guy that you should be considering. He had the best offensive season of his career by a country mile, career best in batting average OBP, slugging, home runs, RBIs, stolen bases, run scored WRC plus, all while winning his fourth Gold Gloff. Brandon Crawford had this resurgence season and it was beautiful.
Speaker 1: You could say Francisco Lindor has the best hands in baseball terms of fielding ground ball. You could even say possibly his teammate Hobby Bias. I'm okay saying that terms are just hands. Yeah, but Brandon Crawford's hands. Is anyone smoother at fielding a ground ball in the game?
Speaker 2: No, I mean everybody wanted to be Andrelton Simmons for a moment. Everybody wanted to be Derek Jeter, everybody wanted to be Lindor, everybody wanted to be Bias.
Speaker 1: But here's the thing.
Speaker 2: Through all of those guys, Brandon Crawford has been second on that list.
Speaker 1: And doesn't Brandon Crawford look like if you put together every shortstop in the history of baseball into one player, Like and I said the same thing about Charlie Morton, he kind of looks like every pitcher ever had a baby. Yeah, he is what they look like.
Speaker 2: He looks like what you draw as a shortstop, right, what you are saying is the prototypical shortstop. He is the prototypical shortstop. That's what it feels like to me. So yeah, I think that's and their team won one hundred and seven games. I'm gonna say that for all the Giants guys, because they all.
Speaker 1: Deserved that too.
Speaker 2: Another guy who should be considered Trey Turner, won the overall batting title with a three to twenty eight clip. He cleared Juli Guriel by nine points, Juan Soto by fifteen. One hundred and ninety five hits for Trey led major League baseball. He was third in baseball with thirty two stolen bases. He got on base at a three seventy five clip, and he had a one forty two WRC plus trade Turner is we've said it one of, if not a top three overall player in baseball, Like he's just so gifted at baseball.
Speaker 1: He is gifted at baseball. And it's another one of those things, I mean in terms of talent. I mean, you could kind of make the argument it's just like what is Trey Turner bad at? But I think his what really sets him apart, I think is his speed. Not only was he a second faster and feet per second sprint speed, not a second a foot faster thirty point seven sprint speed This year next best Ahmed Rosario at twenty nine point five. He had one hundred and forty seven bolts compared to sixty seven bolts. And I'm trying to find the exact definition for bolt, but I know it's a certain level of sprint speed that you achieved, and I think it's thirty feet per second. I just didn't want to get the math wrong, but I think it's how many times you reach thirty feet per second? And he was seven times. He literally doubled the second best player. He is by far the fastest player in baseball. I love that.
Speaker 2: That's like that's attaching one word to it for like bolt.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Like it's barrels.
Speaker 2: Barrels means I have plus off the bat bots mean you ran this fast.
Speaker 1: Exactly that I think. I mean, I can't for some reason, it's not showing up on this damn baseball savant. But I think it's thirty feet per second.
Speaker 2: Gotch you?
Speaker 1: And if someone yeah, a bolt is any run above thirty feet per second? Bank found it. We're Goodang bang easy.
Speaker 2: Next guy that you should consider is Carlos Korea. He was second in Major League Baseball in war among position players, only to Marcus Semion. According to Baseball Reference, Correa was far and away the most valuable defender in baseball. He can run it up to ninety seven miles an hour across the diamond, and you see it with the arm all the time. It gets there like a bolt. He hit two seventy nine with an eight to fifty ops. Again, a massively clutched performer in the postseason, Carlos care is going to get the bag deservedly.
Speaker 1: So he did this in a contract year, and it's awesome. You could make the argument Krea had the best season of any shortstop. You can make that with combining with the defense, considering Tatisa's struggles on defense. Yeah, I think you could make the argument that he actually had I you know, I don't want to give it away. I think everybody knows who our best shortstop is right now. You just say close Crea was. Yeah, he was legit, that good Platinum Award winner in the American League, all outstude, and he's going to get close to three hundred million dollars this offseason.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, Fernando Tatis Junior is your all MLB shortstop. He was fourth in baseball with a one to fifty six WRC plus. Tatis as a lightning fast shorts, hit forty two bombs, drove in ninety seven, stole twenty five bags. He was second in Major League Baseball in slugging. He was fourth in ops. I have a question for you, do you think that Fernando Tatis Junior can contest for best player in baseball if the defense steps up.
Speaker 1: And how much do you think.
Speaker 2: You can attribute the poor defense at times to his shoulder thing?
Speaker 1: That's a loaded question. Let me let me answer the first. Let me answer the first part about that. Can he be the best player in baseball? I think he can. Offensively, He's as gifted as any player in the sport at the most premium position. So let's say him and Juan Soto. Let's say him and Mike TeV Laimiger junior. If they have very similar offensive seasons. But I get the shortstop more often than not, you're going to take the shortstop, which means he for sure has a chance at being the best player in baseball. But we look back at the defense. He was one of the league leaders and errors. But the problem with errors is that a guy like Tati's, because he's so quick and is laterally, he's so quick as well everywhere, he gets to more balls, therefore making more errors on a ball that maybe hits off his glove that other shortstop couldn't even get to and that would just be a hit. So that's why it's kind of tough. But there's no doubt. I mean the throwing errors, But then could you attribute that to the shoulder I know is his non throwing arm, but it still matters that you're still playing injured. Yeah, So to answer your question, I would say yes, But at this point he's just got to improve on defense. But with a guy as talented as this is anyone expecting him not to improve on defense?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't think anybody is twenty two stagnant.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's crazy, even a guy like Juan Soto. He was pretty bad defensively last year and was much better this year. Like you get Tatis one month, Hey, just field ground balls in February. He'll come back. He'll be fine, right if you.
Speaker 2: Like, here's the thing about Soto and Tatis. They don't have much shit to work on offensive.
Speaker 1: That's the thing. It's like, what are they working on? Just go field like that's your only like somewhat weakness.
Speaker 2: Right, that's my big problem with pictures. Not knowing how to bunt, Like you can only throw for so long, Like what are you doing with the rest of your time? Like, just go bunt like Tatis stole twenty five bags. Yeah, Also think about this, I mean, you know it. You've swung about hundreds of thousands of times before your front shoulder being hurt that badly. That's hard to swing. And this guy put out forty two bombs.
Speaker 1: That's the thing. Did we even get a one percent of tatis this year? Hell no, that's that's the that's the crazy part about it. Yeah, we were dealing with an injured twenty two year old who was, no doubt about it, a top ten player this year. Sky's limit. Sky is absolutely the limit.
Speaker 2: Third base, Let's start with Manny Machado being somebody that should be considered. He was in the ninety sixth percentile and average exit of velocity. He hit a ball one hundred and twenty miles an hour like Machado's got it with the bat. All in all, he hit two to eighty with twenty eight bombs one hundred and six RBIs all while not taking a step back defensively and being that Swiss army knife that you can put out in shallow right field in the shift. Machado, while not performing to the standard that he set for himself in Baltimore, is pretty close.
Speaker 3: I think.
Speaker 1: I mean he's right there, right there. The defense is still good. I mean it's still Manny freaking Machado, and he's got a big ass contract, but he's living up to it. Also, hitting, I've when we say, you know, hitting in Yankee Stadium is easier. The type of competition he is in the National League West at Petco, which is a notorious pitchers park, facing that Dodgers rotation, that Giant's rotation all I mean, Rockies and Diamondback certainly helps hey man.
Speaker 2: But Antonio sends it, Tella, get.
Speaker 1: Your money, sends it Tella. But so you have to factor that intwo. Machado is living up to the contract, and he is not one of the reasons that the Padres didn't make the playoffs. He was, he was one of the bright spots. Yeah, no, the problem was Adam Fraser. Uh sorry, Adam Fraser odsmer. Jose Ramirez needs to.
Speaker 2: Be considered for this. He was and is good at literally everything. Jose Ramirez does not swing and miss. Jose Ramirez walks a lot. He hits thirty six bombs, He drives in over all hundred guys. Jose Ramirez stole twenty seven bags in thirty one attempts, and he plays top flight defense at third base. We said it Jose Ramirez might be the most valuable player in baseball right now, given the contract, given the team friendliness, and just how fricking good a baseball player he is.
Speaker 1: Just looking at his savant page just so red, and then his spray chart everywhere what I'm going through it, there is nothing he doesn't do at maybe close to an elite level. I'm even looking at just like how he does against per pitch. He's hitting at least two point fifty on any pitch. Any pitch. You can't throw curveballs to get him out. He'll hit those, obviously you're not gonna throw them a fastball. I'm trying to find the weakness here, Jack. There's no weakness. There is none even. I mean, I guess you could say he didn't hit the ball the opposite way that much, the fifteen point one percent of the oppos away. I guess you'd kind of want to be more miiddible like you here.
Speaker 2: Jim Tomay is a Hall of Famer. He didn't hit the ball the other way.
Speaker 1: For shit, I'm trying to find one thing he wasn't great at, and it's hitting the other way. And that's just this season. He's actually been pretty good at it in his career, So just this season, he wasn't that great at hitting the ball the opps away. There's the weakness, dude, naked eye.
Speaker 2: You look at him and you're just like, okay, like you know, short stocky fella, your weakness is going to be defensively and running the bases. Nope, He's stole twenty seven bags and he's like a gold Glove caliber third basement.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's nothing he doesn't do.
Speaker 2: Nothing he doesn't do. Raffie Devers needs to be considered for all MLB third base. He wasn't disciplined, but far and away his most disciplined season relatively speaking to date, the largest difference between OBP and batting average in his career.
Speaker 1: That shows us that he's walking.
Speaker 2: More oh and thirty eight bombs with one hundred and thirteen RBIs. He had an eight to ninety ops, which was top ten of the American League. Raffie Devers stepped it up late. He's a dude. He's going to stay a dude.
Speaker 1: He's only twenty five. You think a guy like Rafael Devers has just been in this league for years and years and he might be Oh so you approaching thirty. No, no, no, no, no, we're getting into the prime. This is one of the best offensive players in baseball. He hits high v low, he hits soft, he hits lefties, he hits rightys. There isn't really a weakness to his game. I guess you could just say the speed, but ninety third percent of average, ex velosity ninety third and max eggs a velocity ninety second and hard to hit. I mean, he's in the nineties of everything that's hitting. He is one of the premier hitters in baseball.
Speaker 2: Our winner, who we think should be the All MLB third baseman is Austin Riley. Pete your most underrated player in baseball. He's not underrated anymore after the Braves won the Chip. But Austin Riley hit three oh three with thirty three homers, one hundred and seven driven in in ops, two ticks under nine hundred. He played one hundred and sixty of one hundred and sixty two games in the regular season.
Speaker 1: He was top five in hits and.
Speaker 2: Is sneaky in the seventieth percentile and sprint speed. He's a good athlete. He's going to continue to figure it out. Defensively again, much like Tatis, much like Soto, Because if this year's any indicator of what Austin Riley could be offensively, he doesn't have much to work on there. So he's just going to keep working on his glove and he's going to.
Speaker 1: Be here for a while. Talk about something to not work on with the bat. How about the fact Jack he hit three thirty three of off speed pitches and three oh seven off breaking balls two ninety off fast balls. Oh my god, he was literally better against off speed. What are you gonna do? How are you gonna get him out? Throw him a fastball? What? Five seven off fastballs?
Speaker 3: He's slunking six o nine off off speed pitches. Jack, six o nine, Oh my god, that's nice. Let's let's see if he does anything wrong. Nope, Oh my god. He hits the ball to all the fields. Hits ball to all fields. Go look at a spray chart.
Speaker 1: He's twenty four Jack And it was funny Austin Riley going into the season. I don't know if anyone was expecting that much from Austin Riley. This was not a make or break year, not like if he had like not that great year. The Brakes are just like, all right, you know siya because they invest a lot like this is their third basement of the future. Yeah, but that thought creeps into your head if he doesn't have like that great of a season totally, but he has a Donaldson type season. Like I said in twenty fourteen, twenty fifteen, this guy I love Austin Riley, just Rakes. I mean, he was one of the scariest hitters in the postseason.
Speaker 2: Said you said my name often when you were trying to tell me what he does. Really well, it's like you're trying to convince me that I need to buy into Austin Riley is good. Like I'm all the way in. Okay, there's no need to badger.
Speaker 1: Me about Austin Riley. I'm all the way in. All right, that's fair.
Speaker 2: We added one more guys, so instead of three kind of runners up, we've got four. We'll go rapid fire through these catchers because we got to make up time, right. Will Smith with at least three hundred played appearances, Will Smith ranks fourth with a one thirty WRC plus. He cut down on the swing and miss and the chasing in his game. He has vastly improved defensively. Mike Zanino another guy that should be considered. He had a higher WRC plus than sal Perez and he hit thirty three bombs. Yes, Moni Grondal should be considered because he led major League baseball with a twenty three percent walk rate. In ninety three games, Grondal had eighty seven walks and eighty two punchouts. He hit two forty but with a four to twenty OBP and a nine to forty ops. And then this is the one that's gonna hurt. Sal Perez is the runner up.
Speaker 1: Pal Perez is I mean Grendal, Grandell ledbait led catchers in WRC plus, whatever you want to rank it. These are the guys. Yeah, and we Salvado Prez hit forty eight home runs this year and drove in one hundred and twenty one.
Speaker 2: He led baseball in both. He had a share of the homer lead with Laddie. But our winner problem is it's the framing. Like he was one of the worst defenders in baseball.
Speaker 1: But you get to be on the runner up you hit forty eight bombs, drive in one hundred and twenty one. At some point it's like, dude, the guy was at fifty, what's the last that many catchers doing that? And also we've talked never before talked about this before. Do you think it's hard to frame Jackson Kohar, Chris Bubich, Brady Singer, all of these guys who are young pitchers who and the Royals go stuff first, control command later. So you're trying to home an entire staff of rookie pitchers all trying to show off their best stuff so they could stick in the rotation. Do you think it might be hard to catch all these guys every day? And everyone's pointing to sal Perez's walks. He can't walk. He has to go up and try and drive in runs. He has to. He's the only one in that lineup who does so. Outside of like a wit Maorfield. He had to be the guy if it's if it's three to one, he's swinging. He's not looking for the walk, he's swinging. And that's why you see some higher strike up strikeout rates, see a lower on base percentage. But he made up for it by thting legit forty eight bombs, driving a one hundred and twenty one runs legit forty eight bombs. But there was a guy that was just better and talking about.
Speaker 2: Going out on top buster our king Buster Posey should get your all MLB vote and catch her.
Speaker 1: He's getting ours.
Speaker 2: He was really close to a three hundred four hundred, five hundred slash line, three hundred batting average, four hundred OVP, five hundred slugging in his swan song that we didn't know about until it happened. Like what the hell, dude, let us know. We want to give you a farewell tour. This was his best offensive year since twenty seventeen. He should get this based on merit. He should also get it for the sentimental vote. I think, yeah, you're worded that perfectly.
Speaker 1: Not only should we all be like, you know what, give it a posy, but it's not like he didn't deserve it. I think he was pound pound for pound as Iver Wayne catchers the best catcher in baseball this year when you talk about his defense and that offensively, he was right up there with Grendaal, with Salvi, with all these guys, but yet commanded this staff Kevin Gosman, Logan Web Descalfani Quato, Alex Wood. Do you think they looked pretty good because they got one of the best catchers you know of our lifetime, framing the ball, throwing out runners, calling an amazing game every time they won one hundred and seven games, Lester posing.
Speaker 2: Man look at the pen too. I mean McGhee, Tyler Rodgers, Dovall, dominic Leone. Like they all had really good years. There is a direct correlation between Buster Posey being a really good catcher and that staff outperforming what we thought they could do.
Speaker 1: I bet if you ask them what was one factor outside just maybe yourself that contributed to a career year for you, Buster, I bet you nine of the ten are saying Buster, If not all.
Speaker 2: Ten, yeah, well, and the one that doesn't is going to get shit on by everybody. Uh, let's go to dh. This is super easy because like this guy has to make it in one category, Shohy is going to win. Let's walk through who should be considered. JD Martinez has the best bat to ball skills of the DHS. I like how you said that, Pete. He was third in war, fourth in WRC plus among DHS, and he led the position in batting average. JD was good.
Speaker 1: He can swing it. He's just one of the scariest hitters. In the lineup continually going to the playoffs. Who do you not want to face? JD Martinez talking about clutch. JD's just scary. Still at thirty.
Speaker 2: Four, Gihn Carlos Stanton has uber power.
Speaker 1: I mean, what do we need to say? Gercarlo Stanton came back and proved he's still one of the premier power bats at the position and hits the ball harder than everybody in baseball outside of his teammate Aaron Judge at the position. Jerancarlo was second in home runs, he was third in WRC plus and fourth in war and really just showed out for a Yankee fan base then I think had some doubts moving into this season, but he proved like he's we got to keep him. I mean, he's or you can turn that right back around if you're a Yankee fan and say now is the premiere time to trade him. Possibly, but regardless what you do with him, he proved he's still one of the best dhs in baseball and one of the best power hitters in baseball. One percent.
Speaker 2: A guy that is going to be on this list for fifteen years is somebody who you have so verily clearly you have so very clearly said is going to be a Hall of Famer. You're down at Olverarez, the second highest war among dhs, the second highest WRC plus of any DH. He would be the number one if it wasn't for the best player in baseball. Yeah, that's that's and that's the problem.
Speaker 1: It's like you might just say you're on one, Stanton two JD three and just throw out a tawny, but you can't throw out o tawny. Dude. You get into Toni because like, oh my god.
Speaker 2: Well, he's the only player in Major league history to have forty five homers twenty five stolen bases in five triples.
Speaker 1: Say that again.
Speaker 2: He was the only player in major league history to have forty five homers twenty five stolen bases in five triples.
Speaker 1: He had a three point one adri Also, are you kidding me? That is the triples. I mean he's a pitcher. This guy is.
Speaker 2: This guy is literally like that kid that just carries the team from North Dakota to the Little League World Series final, Like remember Gavin Weir, Yeah, but like if led his led the Little World Series at Whole Rods too. Yeah, but like show Hay is a better hitter for the Angels than Gavin Weird, Like you know what I mean, It's.
Speaker 1: Like it's I'll just shout out Gavin Weir.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, no, shout out Gavin Weir. It's like Jacob Deground, but he also hits bombs. I mean, show Hay is the best power hitter in baseball, but he also pitches.
Speaker 1: I don't know if he's the best power hitter, but the fact that we're even saying that and like considering it, I mean, he had forty six jacks. It is he the best power hitter in baseball? He slugged over six hundred. Like what do we talk about here?
Speaker 2: Like on the on the video games, he's got to be at like ninety nine with the power, right has to be like at least it's tough.
Speaker 1: I've maybe judge Stanton Blattie and the Dani Like, I don't know.
Speaker 2: The outfield is absolutely loaded, you know, outfield and starting pitching. We're gonna walk through who you should be considered really quick, but we're going to get into each guy that we kind of voted in fair.
Speaker 1: I think that's fair.
Speaker 2: Okay, Kyle Tucker should get considered fourth highest WRC plus among outfielders at twenty four years old. Brian Reynolds was great for a terrible team. He's got a high batting average. He was a really good defensive outfielder. Tyler O'Neill is insane. He's five tools. He's a muscle hamster. He hit thirty four homers. He's also really fast, and he had a two eighty six batting average. Tay Oscar Hernandez should seriously be looked at maybe the most underrated hitter in the league. He had almost three hundred with thirty two bombs and had the same war as Mooky Bets. Mookie Bets should be considered.
Speaker 1: Even though this.
Speaker 2: Was a below average year per mookie Bets' standards, He's still Mooky Bets. Nick Castillanos was seventh in WRC plus among outfielders. He hit thirty four bombs. He hit over three hundred, and then Cedric Mullins just missed the cut.
Speaker 1: He was a thirty thirty guy. Thirty thirty guy. Can I say the three that we're getting into, Yes? Agree, because I want I want to also say this that this isn't the best left fielder, the best center fielder, and the best right fielder. Three are the three best outfielders in baseball in twenty twenty one, I'm gonna work three to one Aaron Judge. This guy had the third best season of any outfielder. We know that Judge is the ultimate power hitter in baseball, even though I guess thirty nine home runs seems kind of low. Even though it was still thirty nine home runs. That just goes as show the level of power that Aaron Judge has. But he finished third in WRC plus at the position and was tied for third in WAR And I think the most underrated aspects of judge game is his fielding. He's really one of the best defensive right fielders in baseball and he The thing is with Aaron Judge is, yes, he's one hundredth percentile in average exit velocity, max exit velocity, and barrel rate, but or hard hit rate, excuse me and barrel rate. But he's not going for a home run every single time. That's not his game. He's just not lucking, obviously, but he is kind of just lucking at it because that's not his approach. His approach is to drive the ball to all fields. But he's just so goddamn strong that thirty nine of those balls just.
Speaker 2: Went out of the ballpark, right like he is, he's a guy that doesn't know his own strength because he views himself as this six to two skinny guys that's got to spray it everywhere. But the thing is, he's six seven, two eighty and it's all pure muscle. So like, if he has the idea of spraying it everywhere, he's still gonna spray it everywhere. It's just gonna be really hard because he's the biggest human being in baseball.
Speaker 1: And I used to say Aaron Judge was the same way as Zion Williamson. But now Zion Williamson looks like he's three fifty. I mean, he's a big old boy right now, big man, big man. But he's still I mean, he's still Zion Willimson still. But that just goes to show the level of size that Aaron Judge has. Totally. Number two Juan Soda, plain and simple. I think he had the second best offensive season, not just out fielders in baseball, maybe third behind Vladimir ro Junior. But still he is an on base machine that does everything well and Jack he's approaching best player in baseball status. I think next year, if Mike Troud is dealing with some injuries, maybe a down year, and Wan Soto continues to do what he's doing, we have the new best player in baseball. Considering the improvements that he made on d defense, considering he's going into his age twenty three season, this is maybe already the best hitter in baseball. But I'm still just gonna give it to Mike Trout until further notice.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a track record thing, and the reason Trout is defaulting to it is because of the track record he built up when he was Juan Soto's age. But now Soto has built up this similar track record and he's at the stage of his career that we anointed Trout the best player in baseball.
Speaker 1: Literally, So it's like until Trout starts faltering. Because Trout, I mean, even before he got hurt, he was in three thirty three, ye like, his LBP was over four hundred. He was still elite. I think at the time when he went down, he was the league leader in home runs. So it's still Trout. But if you said Wan Soto is the best player in baseball, I wouldn't fight you too hard on it. That's how good this guy is. Yeah, but the guy who had the best offensive season in baseball is Bryce Harper, plain and simple, best offensive season in baseball. He let MLB and OPS, he led in WRC plus. Couple that with thirty five bombs and the third highest war of any position player. And as Arm said, Bryce Harper saw one pitch a game and would do damage every single time. In the counting stats, it's pretty close between one soda. But if you want to go to one big number, WRC plus, he had a one seventy WRC plus this year. He was seventy percent above league average. Juan Soto won sixty six sixty six pretty close. Really good OPS leader, WRC plus leader, Bryce Harper, best offensive season all m will be but him and won soda. Good both of them anyways, so cares they're both amazing.
Speaker 2: That's why you get three.
Speaker 1: The Democrats get.
Speaker 2: All right, that wraps up hitters. So far we've got due to two. Let me open up the Google doc. First baseman being Vladdie Junior, Matt Olson, Paul gold Schmid, Joe Vado just missed the cut. Second base Marcus Semion gets our vote. Ozzi, Albi's Brandon Lao, josel Twove, second, third, fourth in whatever order, Fernando Tatis Junior we think is the all MLB shortstop, Carlos Correa, Trey Turner, Brandon Crawford to follow, Austin Riley the third basement, edging out Raffi Devers, Jose Ramirez and Manny Machado, Catcher is Buster Posey, just barely beating out Sal Perez. Those guys kind of steer clear of yes, Moni Grondal, Mike Zanino and Will Smith, although it feels like Josey and Perez, ten C sliveris space Grandal, and then a massive drop off to Zanino and Will Smith, and then the dh Otani because of course, followed by Jordan Gihn, Carlo and Jad Martinez, and then in the outfield Harper Soto and Judge Mullins, Castianos Betts, ta Oscar Hernandez Tyler, O'Neill, Bryan Reynolds and Kyle Tucker should get your consideration. But we're gonna do pictures on Friday. We're gonna do pictures on Friday. We're gonna split it up because we could just keep going. But the pictures is gonna take forty five minutes to an hour.
Speaker 1: There's a lot of guys that we got to talk about, show some love, so we didn't think about, you know, putting you guys in. Like we said, this is gonna be a very long podcast. So we'll do part two Thursday, though Friday, you me and arm correct Thursday, you and I again.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, why not. We're still trying to hammer out of the offseason schedule.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but it's coming this week. We know it's coming this week. It's Thursday or Friday, but we're gonna have an episode come out Wednesday, Thursday, Friday anyway, So just stay tuned. People, keep listening if you want.
Speaker 2: I mean, I would say we don't care, but we do care, so keep.
Speaker 1: We care a lot and we love that you guys listen. So thank you everybody. No, not saying that thank you everybody yet, but right now, all that like podcasts? What am I talking about? Podcast? Social media links are all in the description. Use code fade Jack on our Instagram store to get all of your just Baseball merch. We just came out with the not Gambling Advice shirts, and we just came out with some hoodies right in time for the holidays. Do you have anything else to say, Jack, Just.
Speaker 2: Another fucking reminder to send me my merch and send your parents the merch. Send your parents stuff to wear.
Speaker 1: I will. I think I'm gonna bring it to them in a gift. So Dad, Mom, if you're listening to this, you're getting some presents. Good.
Speaker 2: Hey, mister and missus Apple, you raised a good kid that just can't figure out his.
Speaker 1: Shit when it comes to the merch. Thank you, everybody,