Speaker 1: You are listening to the Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 2: Well, let's see if we remember how to do this. Great to be back, Happy New Year, the Minister of Humor, although I was told by somebody, is it the Administer of humor, not the Minister of humor? And I said, no, you're the Minister of humor, Fritzie and the most valuable Danet. But that's a long time ago. That was twenty twenty four.
Speaker 3: Let's turn the page twenty twenty five.
Speaker 2: Now, thank you Todd seating us here, Marv's here, Paula yours truly in the back room. Guys, we had to come back. There's so much to talk about. Chris Simms from Football Night in America. We'll stop buying a little bit. We'll play fill in the blank. Yes, we are taking your phone calls for best and worst of the week, not weekend. Well it can be the weekend, but it can be the week as well. Operator Tyler's sitting by taking your phone calls. Eight seven seven three DP show tonight the Sugar Bowl Notre Dame, Georgia. That's a four pm Eastern star due to the tragedy in New Orleans. And then there is another bowl game. After that, it is Duke and Ole Miss Wow. Okay, but it is football. It's programming, and that's all we care about. It's football. Vol to wall for the most part. We'll talk about the playoff scenarios with the NFL, certainly the bowl games. Texas gets by Arizona State, Ohio State rolls Oregon, Penn State handles Boise State. We'll look at the matchups upcoming and week eighteen. It's kind of a play in weekend for some teams. Broncos, Dolphins, Bengals still alive, Buccaneers, Falcons still alive. This Sunday night game. You got the number one seed at stake, and the loser could be on the road in the first round of the playoffs. Rams or Tampa Bay or maybe Atlanta they could be going. If it's the Lions or the Vikings, they could be on the road in the opening round. With that many wins, incredible. So the winner gets the number one seed. The loser can drop all the way down to the number five seed. Eight seven seven three DP show email address DP at Danpatrick dot com, Twitter handle a DP show.
Speaker 4: Good morning.
Speaker 2: If you're watching on Peacock our streaming partner. Thank you for downloading the app and our radio affiliates around the country. Seaton's got a poll question. At least we have a few of them to toss around for the first hour of the program.
Speaker 5: Before we get to poll questions. Don't you think Ole miss is wondering like, how did it come to this?
Speaker 2: Well? I think Lane Kiffin is thinking that how did we get here? We're playing Duke after Notre Dame in Georgia, right, we're playing duke today. Yes, we're in the SEC football duke football.
Speaker 4: We should have been in the playoffs there and here they are. They've got Duke yes, Pa.
Speaker 6: And Notre Dame Georgia first is like a leading band, like a headlining band. And then the going second. Yeah, years ago the spin doctors opened up for the Rolling Stones. This would be like the Rolling Stones, no offense, no offense for.
Speaker 2: It's led Zeppelin and then Gin blossoms here.
Speaker 4: How did we get here? This brutal?
Speaker 2: And I like that Lane Kiffen was so active on social media sticking up for the SEC and then all of a sudden Tennessee got blown out and we didn't hear from Lane after that. Here's a pet peeve that I have. I don't want to hear these analysts after the fact tell me somebody shouldn't be in the playoffs. You know when Kirk Kurbstreet says, basically the Indiana shouldn't have been here, but Herbie wasn't alone. There were a lot of other people who said, well, they shouldn't have been here. Okay, SMU shouldn't have been here. Okay, I'm not blaming SMU or Indiana. They did everything they were supposed to do. And tell me that before they get blown out, not after. Did you say Tennessee shouldn't have been there. No, they earned the right to be there. They just got blown out. But this after the fact where you have people going, no, they never should have been there. Okay, if Arizona State gets blown out, people would have said, well they never should have gotten the first round, by right, that's the way it works. Are you saying that about Oregon? That Oregon shouldn't have been the number one team in the country, They shouldn't have been the number one seed. They got blown out my Ohio State. It's really easy to do that today. Do it before Okay, after the fact. I have no respect for that.
Speaker 5: Yes, a Oregon shouldn't be here before the hand would have been a very hot take that would have been.
Speaker 4: That would have been you know, I don't think Oregon belongs here.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, but somebody's going to say that after the fact. You know, Arizona State, and I was worried because I thought, just make it competitive.
Speaker 4: It's weird.
Speaker 2: I rooted for Indiana smu Boise State, Arizona State to make it competitive. I didn't think they were going to win, but I thought, just make it competitive so we don't get this revisionist history where they never should have been there. And then Arizona State comes back and then they tie it, and then they go into overtime.
Speaker 4: They said, okay, they're off the hook here.
Speaker 2: That is a great loss, although they're not going to take it that way, but that was a standout game that they played and losing to Texas, and I thought Arizona State was the better team the second, third, fourth quarter, and part of the overtime.
Speaker 4: But it was fun to see.
Speaker 2: You know, we're gonna look at Ashton gent and all of a sudden, yeah, okay, you're gonna play against that competition. He only he plays against who he is scheduled to play against. They didn't say, hey, can we pick the crappiest team so I can rush for twenty five hundred yards. Boise State did what they were asked to do. This is on college football. College football created the scenario where they said, hey, if you win your conference, you get a first round by. It doesn't make sense. We've said it doesn't make sense. We said it before people realize it didn't make sense. They're going to change it. They're going to have and logic will step in, which is really rare in college football. But they will eventually get around to fixing this. So Boise State or Arizona State, these schools they're not getting first round bys. You're going to have and they should take anybody's opinion out it. Take the human equation out of this where we keep looking at.
Speaker 4: Alabama like it's Alabama. Just ask Vegas.
Speaker 2: Vegas will tell you, because their livelihood depends on this, they don't have any emotion. They will tell you the best teams who should be in and who shouldn't be in. And Alabama didn't deserve to be in.
Speaker 4: I know. It's one of those.
Speaker 2: Where you where they got to put in Alabama No, they don't, No, they don't. It's a new college football landscape here, folks. And that's where you see these teams who get a quarterback transfer portal nil money, and all of a sudden, the artist you thought were Alabama, maybe even Georgia, they're knocked down a little bit here or others are coming up on them, and you're gonna have quarterbacks in the transfer report, Quinn Ewers may be playing at Notre Dame next year.
Speaker 4: Why would you go to the pros?
Speaker 2: You can make six million dollars playing He's going to make what a quarterback taken in the top ten would make. And he's probably They're probably gonna imagine you win a national title and they.
Speaker 4: Say, thanks Quinn, we got Arch. We got Arch here ready to go.
Speaker 2: And there was a report that he had an offer of six million dollars. Some had speculated that it's Notre Dame. They have Riley Leonard, they're going to lose him. And I asked my college football source and they said Notre Dame thought that that was too rich for them. Six million dollars for Quinn years. So here he is coming off biggest win of his career. They got a home game basic coming up against Ohio State, and you got these guys already negotiating what they're going to do next year. It's college football. It's crazy and it was a lot of fun. You know, there were some really good games. Now there were some duds, but that's going to happen. It happens in the NFL play You know, how often do we go, oh, that team got blown out. They never should have been in We don't do that, not in the NFL, but we do it in college football. But it's because you're looking at somebody whose schedule inferior competition. Yes, it's never going to be an exact science, it's just not. But enjoy it. I think you know, we have playoff football. We didn't have playoff football before.
Speaker 3: We have it.
Speaker 2: Now it'll get better, games will be competitive. It's okay, first round matchups in the NCAA tournament, do you go, oh, they never should have been there, du blew out somebody by forty two.
Speaker 4: But we do that.
Speaker 2: We pick and choose, you know, with our discuss our outrage.
Speaker 5: Yes see right, but like if the Ravens get to the playoffs and get blown out in the first round, no one's gonna say, see, they shouldn't have been there, they didn't belong there. If you you could, you have the ability to completely remove that from the discussion in college football. You just have to take the steps to do it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the only thing that people will debate or say, oh, you're gonna give Lamar Jackson the MVP and they bowo out again like that would be the only thing that would happen in a situation like that. And by the way, that is the big topic here with Lamar Jackson, Josh Allen, who's going to be the MVP? And I think it comes down to when you look at stats and you look at team performance. Because Lamar Jackson's had an unbelievable year. But I think we're all nobody's surprised at that. I think most people are surprised at the Buffalo Bills and Josh Allen. When you lose Stefan Diggs, they lost a lot of defensive players. So you got to kind of figure out what is what are the parameters here? What's the definition that you should be voting on, because that's another thing you're going to get this, Well it's his turn, what huh, You're either the MVP or you're not. It's like somebody wins the Academy Award because well it was their turn.
Speaker 4: Huh. You either earn it or you don't.
Speaker 2: But that will be a big topic coming up this weekend and the fact that Lamar's going to play keep his consecutive gamestreak going. But how long is he going to play? And does that factor in with somebody with the MVP race. But we'll talk to Chris Simms about that. Can something happen this weekend that changes the MVP? But I think it's going to be really really close, really close, and I certainly understand either way.
Speaker 4: Like, you know, people got upset.
Speaker 2: Remember when Joker was going to win his third and oh my god, Kendrick Perkins came on and it's like, what are we doing here?
Speaker 4: It's joe El Embiid. I go, no, it's not.
Speaker 2: Joker is the best player in basketball, the most valuable player. What do you talk Kendrick Perkins and the Mothership? I think you know suade that vote for Joel Embiid and Embiid had a great season, but he was not a better player, more valuable than Joker was. So you know what happens with the analyst here over the next seventy two hours, you're going to play a large role in all of this. All right, Seaton poll question, I'm blah bob blonde, but I'm ready to go here, I'm fired up.
Speaker 5: Let's go.
Speaker 4: I'm ready to go.
Speaker 5: You want to start with a dude pole question? All sent over a dude question more? Okay, So I should have said, sorry, my apologist, dude, dude or dude in many ways to see that the refs in the Texas Arizona State game.
Speaker 2: Dudde what minute tend to go? I know it's a minute tend to go? You still have to call targeting there asshoes driving and that would have given them a first down and we don't know what would have happened after that, but maybe they kick a field goal. But here is Ken Dillingham, he's the Arizona State head coach on the non call for targeting.
Speaker 7: In terms of the targeting, I mean, I'm gonna be honest, I don't know what targeting is. We lost one of our best players in the first half for targeting and I just don't know. I just don't I just don't know what it is. So I don't want to comment on something that I have to get a better grasp of what it is, just because it's so you know, I just don't quite understand it. I do just want to protect the players, though, so whatever rules are put in place to protect the players, I'm all about.
Speaker 4: It's targeting. It is, and he did his best.
Speaker 2: He danced around as best he could, and there's a lot of things that they factor in. There's key items that are fined by the NCAA rule book, and one is leading with the helmet's shoulder, forearm, fist, hand, or elbow to attack with forcible contact at the head or neck area. You can't argue that one also defenseless receiver. So there's two opportunities to call a penalty there and they chose not to. It's like when the Rams and the Saints in a playoff game many many years ago in the Superdome, they could have called two different penalties and they didn't call either penalty that was targeting. Now, I know people are going to say, hey, fourth and thirteen, don't let him score touchdown. You're absolutely right, But in that moment, I don't care what the time on the clock is.
Speaker 4: And people got caught up.
Speaker 2: Well, you can't call it then, Really that receiver is knocked out on the field and I can't call.
Speaker 4: It then, I mean, what are we doing?
Speaker 2: It was targeting and even when the rules official for the Mothership says, yeah, basically that's uh, we shouldn't even spend a lot of time on this.
Speaker 4: That's targeting. And it was.
Speaker 2: It was a wonderful game, but that was a call that they certainly missed. Also, when Skataboo is lifted up by his offensive lineman, you're not allowed to do that. I mean, it was a cool play. You can push, you can't pull. So there was a lot that was going on there, but still it was I enjoyed it. Even if the game all the Bull games, I'm watching them all I watched probably I don't know if there was a Bull game that I didn't miss at least a portion of. I did my best to watch as much as possible there. And uh, it's it's great. We're in a new era here and we can pick and nitpick and go. Indiana shouldn't been in there. I said that before. They didn't play anybody, but they did what they were supposed to do. Don't blame Indiana. Lane college football system. They're going to rectify it. They'll clean it up and it'll be better. They're going to continue to modify this. They're going to add two more teams. We're going to look at by All of this stuff is under discussion right now as we speak. Stat of the Day has always brought to you by Panini America, the official trading cards of this program. And we want to make sure that you got everything you needed. If there's any issues with Christmas with things you ordered, let us know. We'll make sure that we rectify everything. But hope you had a great Christmas and you went to Danpatrick dot com to get some of the gear that you would hope for all of your dreams.
Speaker 4: Yeah. See a lot of talk about the alligator at your house. Oh that was a big hit.
Speaker 2: Well do you realize that the alligator is just coming off the trigger?
Speaker 4: Oh really? Yes? No kidding today? Yeah, Oh let's go yeah fire. Yes.
Speaker 2: So we we had the alligator meet. We had the display portion of the alligator on the Tregger grill. They were like little like kind of like popcorn yeah, popcorn shrimp yeah yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, like popcorn chicken nuggets yeah something.
Speaker 2: So Tyler came over to get the double Banger Tregger grill and I said, oh, by the way, don't open up that side.
Speaker 4: He goes, why not? He opened it up. He goes, oh my.
Speaker 2: God, the gamer's still there. I said, yeah, I wasn't going to take it out. So all right, we're just getting started and glad you're part of the program. As always, we'll talk to Chris Sims. He'll join us coming up next year on the Dan Patrick Show.
Speaker 1: Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the nation. Catch all of our shows at Foxsports Radio dot com and within the iHeartRadio app. Search FSR to listen live.
Speaker 8: Hey Steve Covino and I'm Rich David and together we're Covino and Rich on Fox Sports Radio. You could catch us weekdays from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and of course the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 9: Why should you listen to Covino and Rich.
Speaker 8: We talk about everything life, sports, relationship, what's going on in the world. We have a lot of fun talking about the stories behind the stories in the world of sports and pop culture, stories that well other shows don't seem to have the time to discuss. And the fact that we've been friends for the last twenty years and still work together. I mean that says something, right, So check us out. We like to get you involved too, take your phone calls, chop it up. As they say, I'd say, the most interactive show on Fox Sports Radio, maybe the most interactive show on planetar. Be sure to check out Cavino and Rich Live on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 9: From five to seven pm Eastern two to.
Speaker 8: Four Pacific, And if you miss any of the live show, just search Covin on Rich wherever you get your podcasts, and of course on social media.
Speaker 9: That's Covino and Rich.
Speaker 2: He is Chris Simms Pro Football Talk Live co host and analysts for Football Night in America. Big Kickoff this Sunday night on NBC and Pick Peacock. It will be the Lions and the Vikings. We'll talk about that coming up in a moment. You are a Texas scran and I'm sure you were watching the game yesterday. Can you be impartial on the pill? Okay, no, be impartial though.
Speaker 10: Yeah, I'm not doing any pregame shows or working professionally, so I know I was a total loud mouth obnoxious Texas Longhorn fan. Yesterday watching in my living room, I was having a lot of fun. Though certainly it was a great game to watch. It really was okay. By the rule, was that targeting by the rule, by what you see in college football on a weekly basis, and the over officiating nature of that play in general. Yes, by the rule it is because what there was hit to the head. But where it's different and where I'm glad they didn't call it is the fact that the balls tipped in the air, so there was a little reaction to the ball, like oh wait, I'm going up and looking at that. Also, he didn't launch, I mean he hit him with his face right, It wasn't like he was like trying to lower the crown of his helmet and do that. I, like you, was surprised they didn't call it because it's very TICKI tac with that stuff this day and age, whether it's the NFL or college But happy they didn't.
Speaker 4: If it was flipped, if it was reversed.
Speaker 10: And I'm always I will say this if you you ever watch games with me, I am I am pro defense, and that it's so hard with the rules all against them, that yeah, if there was the other way around and they had a call a drive earlier that, I thought they could have called the same thing targeting on them, and they didn't, And that's what kind of led me to believe they might not do it in that moment.
Speaker 3: They were kind of letting it play as far as that's concerned.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but they did call targeting in the first half on an Arizona State player.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I know they did there too. I know, I know, I know.
Speaker 9: Listen.
Speaker 3: It's not perfect and some of this stuff is over efficient.
Speaker 10: It drives me crazy every week we've lost, Like especially in the NFL, forcible contact to the head, right, I'm sick of like two fingers touch a quarterback's head and they go, well you hit them in the head. No, No, And the language it says forcible, It didn't say like ooh I gave him a little love tap or oh I kissed them on the ear and we throw penalty. And I wish some of this stuff would would stop a little bit.
Speaker 4: Do you think Quinne Ewers is Texas quarterback next year? No?
Speaker 3: I do not.
Speaker 4: Do you think he's playing college football next year?
Speaker 10: Yes, I would hope so, because I don't think he's a guy that's gonna go in the first two rounds of the draft. I think he has like the potential to be that kind of guy, But I think he's gonna have to show people maybe another year of high quality football play and all that. But no, I expect arch Manning Era to start after the season's over. And yeah, in my heart of hearts, again I have no inside info, Dan, I think that Quinn Ewers will be playing somewhere else. He is an NFL quarterback. He needs to throw the ball with more authority. I think you watch enough football. There's too many of these like lays the ball up there instead of driving it through the target, which he has the ability to do. And of course he can work on his athleticism a little bit too as well. But yeah, I think it's gonna be somewhere else, Dan.
Speaker 2: All right, let's look at the NFL. Let me start with the MVP race. Can anything happened this weekend that would change your opinion or should change the opinion of the NFL MVP voters.
Speaker 3: I think so.
Speaker 10: Like, Okay, as I said here right now, I'm gonna say that I'm probably favoring Josh Allen as far as the MVP vote, but it's really close. It's crazy because last year it was kind of an underwhelming the MVP year. It felt like it was given to Lamar out of default because he just he had a good year and they were dominant, but it wasn't eye popping wow stats. This year, we got four guys that got eye popping wow stats that are all having MVP caliber years.
Speaker 3: So I leaned Josh.
Speaker 10: Allen because I do believe, yes, Lamar's stats are a little bit better. I think Lamar's supporting around him on the offensive side of the ball is a little bit better as well. But MVP is a little about moments, and Josh Allen had a stretch there of moments, whether it was the forty nine Ers, the Chiefs, the Rams and Who's the other one and the Detroit Lions of going that was one of the four incredible, incredible weeks in a row and big time plays and big moments, and that's where I favor him.
Speaker 3: But man, it's it's tough, Dan, that's for sure.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you looking at this and I always I'm curious how people factor in what is their criteria? Is it stats? Is it team success? And then stats or stats, then team's success and if Joe Burrow, if the Bengals had ten wins right now, who's your MVP.
Speaker 10: Yeah, that's that's a different Like the Bengals were firmly entrenched in the playoffs.
Speaker 9: I probably m I don't.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 10: That'd be a close one. You're making that it would be really close. I still think I'd probably go with Josh Allen because I just do you know, And then all of these guys are worthy of it. But the way he's played this year, the decision making, the quality of play and clutch moments and all that, I don't think anybody has stood above Josh Allen in that department. But no doubt like Joe Burrow's year is special, And if they were one of the top four seeds, I certainly think he'd be in a lot of people's, you know, lead as far as the voting.
Speaker 3: And you asked me if anything could change it this weekend. I mean, if if.
Speaker 10: Lamar goes out there and throws five touchdowns and has an unbelievable statistical day and the Bills and Josh Allen are kind of sleep at the wheel, and he throws one touchdown and two or three interceptions or whatever that that might change my mind. I'm not you know, I haven't written it in stone yet. As far as Josh Allen, you.
Speaker 2: Got the Vikings in the line Sunday Night on NBC and Peacock.
Speaker 4: The winner gets the number one seed.
Speaker 2: The loser probably on the road against Tampa or Atlanta whoever wins that division or the Rams.
Speaker 4: Right, that's harsh. That's harsh to have.
Speaker 2: That many wins and you're gonna have Tampa or Atlanta getting in you know, barely five hundred the Rams at the Rams, how dangerous they are. I mean, you could be you could be one and done here. If the Lions or the Vikings.
Speaker 10: Definitely, I mean the Vikings lost to the Rams earlier this year in LA definitely, and then either one.
Speaker 3: You know, I still sit here and.
Speaker 10: Tell you that I think the most complete team in the NFC is the Philadelphia Eagles. That's who I would still take. That's the team I'm gonna take to go to the Super Bowl out of the NFC.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 10: But these Vikings and Lions football teams awesome offensively, but they're middle of the road defense. So if you if they play a team that's got a really good offense. The game's gonna be scary, so that that's to your point. Yeah, it's big, It really is. It's a huge game. I'm excited to see what happens. We know the offenses are super explosive. I think home field advantage I think is more important to Detroit in my opinion, just because of the way the defense has looked as of late. Right, the dam is broken, I mean, and you look at it and I go, yeah, home field, the crowd noise, all that I think will help them a little bit, right, because that simplifies an offense, and that place is tough to play. You can't go to the line of scrimmage with four different plays called in the huddle and do all these checks when you're on the road in Detroit, So that simplifies things. That's a little advantage they need. I think it is more important for them to win this game than Minnesota.
Speaker 2: Chris Sims Pro Football Talk Live co host in Football Night in America. They have the big matchup between Detroit and Minnesota Sunday Night. Sam Donald's free agency plans. Should he have free agency plan? Should the Vikings plan on Sam Donald going to free agency.
Speaker 10: Well, they got to make sure they got a plan to Okay, what would you do?
Speaker 4: I want yeah, I want you to make the decision.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 10: I feel like at this moment right now, I would not let Sam Donald walk out of the building.
Speaker 3: That would not happen.
Speaker 10: It's just it's too hard to find quarterbacks that are good in the NFL.
Speaker 3: You got one. He fits your scheme. You can see he's.
Speaker 10: Got talent and all that. But now do I want to commit long term to him yet?
Speaker 9: Nah?
Speaker 3: I don't think I do either. I'd like to see one more year.
Speaker 10: We've seen guys have good years, ride the momentum, the good vibes of the building, we're playing good, and then come back the next year and we go, well, they can't seem to recreate that magic. What's going on there? Blah blah blah. So I think I'm one that, As I said here right now, Dan, I'd probably franchise tag him, franchise them, see another year and go, hey, just prove to me, and then maybe you get to you know, end of next year on the franchise and he plays really well again, then you go, Okay, we got our guy. Now we can commit to a few more years and guaranteed money and do all that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it might be a Kirk Cousins situation when he was with Washington. I mean I would, I would franchise him one more year. Okay, I want you to answer quickly. You can have Sam Darnald for one hundred and fifty million Brock perty for two hundred and fifty million.
Speaker 3: Oh well, that's not even close. That's not even close. Sam Donald all day, all day, all day.
Speaker 10: You know, I'm a forty nine Ers fan, and that's my buddy Kyle Shanahan.
Speaker 3: Certainly, there's no way.
Speaker 10: I would pay anywhere near market value for brock Purty. Some of these teams got to stop this, right. I've said this about the Miami Dolphins, their highest paid player in their football teams, their biggest concern in the big game and their biggest injury liability, and whether he's available out there. That doesn't make sense. That's bad team building. Brock party there's a little of that too, and you saw he's not talented enough to carry the football team. I would, I would, I would go way below market value with brock Purty.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but how do you do so? You basically say to his agent, We're gonna give you.
Speaker 10: Here's thirty million, sell me out. Who else is gonna take thirty five? Thirty million? Who else is gonna I would have done the same thing with Miami gun who else? In football, these teams are negotiating against themselves. They're like, here's.
Speaker 3: Thirty million, No, you don't like it. Hey, here's thirty five.
Speaker 10: You want more, and they just they keep going up, and you're like, well, why nobody else is gonna pay him this? So that's what I would say. I would I would start. If I'm in the NFL and I don't know where it lost its way, it'd be Mahomes makes this, and nobody's Mahomes and we're gonna have a pecking order below that period. It starts there and we've gotten away with this. Oh, the new guy's up. He's the new contract, so we gotta pay him more.
Speaker 9: And like, now, you.
Speaker 2: Don't blame the Cleveland Browns what they did with DeShawn Wants.
Speaker 10: The dumbest thing ever, exactly right, the dumbest contract in the history of the NFL.
Speaker 3: You're right, that's that's definitely part of it too, Dan, no doubt about it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but they had to give him an offer that he couldn't refuse because he didn't want to go to Cleveland.
Speaker 10: Well, yes, because they had ruined things already with Baker Mayfield and they knew they were in a spot of like, oh crap, now we have no quarterback because he doesn't want to come here, so we got to pay him that. So you're right, I mean, but they did that to themselves and how they handled that situation, it's crazy.
Speaker 3: But yeah, when it comes.
Speaker 10: To Brock Purdy or anything like that, Dan, I would go, here's what we're offering. Show me who else out there is going to offer you that kind of money or anything better, because I don't think it's gonna be out there. I don't think there's gonna be a market and everybody's gonna go, oh, I need Brock Purty as my quarterback. Everybody knows good. But he's really good when he's with Shanahan. Shanahan's the one driving that boat there. You know, that's my opinion.
Speaker 2: At least Okay more dangerous in the postseason if they both get in Tampa or the Rams.
Speaker 10: Well the Rams are in right, so, but but you're who's more dangerous?
Speaker 8: Mmm?
Speaker 3: I I there.
Speaker 10: I guess I'll still go with the Rams, even though I am a little concerned with their offense.
Speaker 3: I am.
Speaker 10: You could see Cooper Cup is not the same guy. They have to ride Poka Nakua way too much in the passing game, right They need to to at well and all these guys to be healthy out there. But I'll go with them because of their experience. But man, Tampa and their defense is a little better. Tampa's defense scares me. But man, that offense in Baker Mayfield, he is He's a flame thrower right now, throwing lasers all over the field.
Speaker 2: What do you think it's like if you're with the pay you know the Patriots are going to have the number one pick if they lose. Like, what is the mindset of it's best for the organized to lose this game?
Speaker 3: It's hard. It's very hard right there.
Speaker 10: There's it's hard to add as the New York Giants last week, right this is these records go on the coach's gravestone. He's like, I'm not sure I'm going to be back here. What the hell am I gonna tank? And for the next regime. I don't give a crap about that. Right, Drew Locke is sitting there going, I want to play in the NFL and show everybody how good I am. I mean, I'm not gonna go out here and throw in completion so the team can have a better draft pick. It's hard to get the whole organization involved in that, and especially when you start the rookie franchise. You know, guy of the future at quarterback, you certainly want to make him look good and build on the future and do all of that as well.
Speaker 3: So, yeah, that's a tough one.
Speaker 10: It's a tough one, but I think they'll find a way to manage the game in a way where they don't win it.
Speaker 2: Well, there's organizational tanking. That's where you put people in or you take example out. Hey, we want to look at the you know, the future. We want to give that guy a chance.
Speaker 3: There, Brown's are doing that right now. They're doing the same thing.
Speaker 4: Is their tanking in the NFL.
Speaker 3: Well, I it's not as much or as easy easily done as you think. I don't.
Speaker 10: I never felt like I was on a team that was a part of it, so I never got an inside look or feel for that. But I think that with the common the modern era here, I think there's there's probably four or five teams every year who try to orchestrate it to not put their best foot forward. Like I said, he can't totally tank the game, because you can't ask guys who are fighting for their careers in life to quit and not play football when they're not gonna get paid next year if they look like crap. But they try to do, like what you said, put the least best foot forward there in that department.
Speaker 4: The number one quarterback in college coming out as who.
Speaker 10: Gosh, it's tough right now. I mean cam Ward is the one that pops up to me. Of course, Schadur is there as well. I was a Jalen Milroe fan, but he really he struggled towards the end of the year. So I'm a little scared of him.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 3: And I don't know if he'll even come out now after that performance there.
Speaker 10: But I think it's cam Ward uh and Shador I think it's but I think I would go cam Ward. The other guy I like it. I don't think he's gonna come out is the LSU quarterback. No Smier. Now, Smyer is an NFL first round type talent, but I haven't heard about what's gonna go on with him there yet.
Speaker 4: Great to talk to you, so always.
Speaker 3: Happy, Happy New Year. Thank you, Say hi to guy all right.
Speaker 4: Horns up, horns up? You know it?
Speaker 3: Texas fight.
Speaker 4: Does anybody do horns down.
Speaker 3: To you all the time? I mean the whole NBC building. They like to ride me and do horns down.
Speaker 4: Do you get upset? No? No, I don't. I don't. You don't cry.
Speaker 3: We're gonna get the last laugh this year. Don't worry.
Speaker 10: They're gonna have to deal with my big mouth the rest of this year if we can win this thing.
Speaker 4: Thank you, Chris.
Speaker 2: That's Chris Sims, Pro Football Talk Live co host and Big Game on Sunday Night, It'll be the Lions and the Vice Kings on NBC in Peacock.
Speaker 1: Be sure to catch the live edition of The Dan Patrick Show weekdays at nine am Eastern six am Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio WAPP.
Speaker 2: He's been the star of the Bowl season so far. Cam Scattaboo, the Arizona State running back and they went to double overtime against Texas and uh.
Speaker 4: He joins us now from Atlanta. How do you feel today?
Speaker 11: I'm a little beat up, but you know, I'm I'm I'm feeling confident of where I stand as a player, and you know, I'm excited for my future and I'm super excited that the guys that I played next to the whole season have you know, fought and continued to fight and you know, never gave a doubt that we could win the game.
Speaker 2: What was your feeling early when you guys were down double digits.
Speaker 11: You know, I think as a team, as a whole, we knew that we were never counted out. And then I think early we knew we made a couple of mistakes. You know, they scored in two points, they took back a kick, they took a took back a punt return, didn't really score on offense. So we knew if we can you know, stop them on defense and continue to you know, push push push and fight on offense, that that we were gonna be just fine. Uh Me personally, you know, I was a little I was a little upset that I wasn't touching the ball as much.
Speaker 3: As I wanted to.
Speaker 11: But you know, obviously not just running the ball, but catching the ball out of the backfield, and you know, I kind of took a step back and realized at halftime what what I needed to do, and it was to be a better teammate and you know, keep those guys uplifted.
Speaker 12: And uh, I knew that if I did that.
Speaker 11: Then you know, the team confidence will stay high and we continue to fight.
Speaker 2: But you were discussing things with coach uh get you seem pretty animated on the sidelines.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know.
Speaker 11: He Uh, We we talked a little bit, you know, and I got a little frustrated just where we were standing as a team and how we were playing and I didn't understand what was going on fully, and you know, we talked about it and then I walked over there after I was a little upset and you know, let him know, Hey, sorry for getting upset, but I got you back from here on out. Let's go, you know, let's rock. And you know, he he knows that I'll always have his back and he trusts the fact that I'm gonna keep going even when I'm a little upset.
Speaker 12: But yeah, we had a little discussion, but nothing to major.
Speaker 4: Who do you pattern your game after?
Speaker 11: You know, I like to say myself, there's there's a lot of backs that you know, I take bits and pieces from obviously Christian McCaffrey's one, you know, doing something that hasn't been done in a while since he's done it, you know, catching the ball, running the ball. Marshawn Lynch is obviously a big factor mark Ingram. You know, I talked to him and you know now that I look at it more, I took a little bit of my game from him, and then Le'Veon Bell was a big one too. Just me focusing on working on my patients in the way. You know, the slower you the slower you play the game, the more you'll see it. So that's something I've been you know, focusing on to.
Speaker 2: What's it like though to go into a game knowing you're going to get hit. You're going to give punishment, but you kind of have to take punishment to give your punishment.
Speaker 11: Yeah, going into the game, I understood, you know that I was going to have to do a lot and I know every game is a brutal battle with me. This is the way I run, the physicality I run with I know I'm gonna come out, you know, banged up, and then I'm hoping that you know, they come out a.
Speaker 12: Little more banged up.
Speaker 11: But you know, I understand my game of football, so I'm prepared for it every game. I understand that, you know, when I when I run, it's gonna make me not feel so good the next day, which I don't feel too good. So but yeah, I mean, I'm I'm prepared for it all the time.
Speaker 4: Would your dad say to you after the game?
Speaker 11: Yeah, you know, he just gave me I love your son, proud of you, a little kiss on the cheek, and you know, off I went. He's he's a he's more of like, I'll call you in the next couple of days kind of guy. Make sure you're doing good. But he's just proud of me, man. And you know, my whole family is proud of me. My mom, you know, she's she's super proud of me. And I'm just glad I'm able to make them happy.
Speaker 2: You know, when you're famous, the camera is always on you. So we got to see you throw up on the sidelines there. Uh, but what caused that to happen?
Speaker 11: Yeah, I think I was drinking a little too much water and power raid. You know at the same time I was and I think I ate something bad. In the morning, I had a croissant breakfast sandwich, and I don't think it went down very well. And I wasn't feeling too good all the leading up to the game and until I threw up. You know, I threw up, and I felt like a completely different person. And you know, after that throw up, you know, the game switched for me and how I was playing it was it was completely different from me.
Speaker 12: So it was nice, you know.
Speaker 11: I I looked down, took a deep breath, puked, took another deep breath, took another deep breath, and then got back on the field and you know, played my game of football.
Speaker 2: So you didn't have it all over your uniform, did you, like if somebody's tackling you, Like.
Speaker 11: I leaned over, let it all out, and then got backed up and put my helmet on.
Speaker 12: I was like, let's go.
Speaker 2: When you saw the non call on the targeting, well, first of all, what did you see? I don't know what your angle was with that, but the fact that it was a no call.
Speaker 12: I mean I was looking right at it.
Speaker 11: I watched him catch the ball, and I watched the crown of a helmet goes directly into the chain of my teammate, and you know, like coach Dillingham said last night, you don't really know what a targeting is anymore. We're trying to protect players and some are protected and some aren't, no matter who you're playing against.
Speaker 12: I feel like anybody should were protected.
Speaker 11: And I felt that was a little biased, but you know it, whatever whatever they call, you know, is what we're gonna rock with. And you know, hopefully milk Wan's okay. I haven't talked to him yet since after the game last night, but hopefully he's okay. He's feeling feeling good in the high spirits.
Speaker 4: Did Steve Sarkisian track you down after the game?
Speaker 11: No, you know, a couple of their offensive linemen tracked me down, you know, said you're you're hell hell of running back, and Arch Manning came over and said what's up, you know, and tried to lift my spirit up a little bit. But I just walked off the field, you know, I was. I was heartbroken with all the all the work that I put in that we felt just that that little short and uh, you know, I I didn't I wouldn't say I rushed off the field, but I got off it pretty quick just because I was, you know, I was I was a little stressed.
Speaker 4: What is the play call with the halfback option?
Speaker 12: Are you talking about? Where I ran and then through it?
Speaker 7: No?
Speaker 8: What?
Speaker 4: Yeah? What's it called in the huddle?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 12: Philly Special?
Speaker 11: Oh so it was actually supposed to be a throwback to the quarterback and I checked. I checked my receiver to a to a fade ball and I've seen him went inside, so I know, I.
Speaker 2: Wait, wait a minute, that that kind of big time stuff here, like.
Speaker 11: Yeah, So so Sam told me. Sam told me to drive before you know, somebody rolled up my inkle. I can't really run, so you're gonna have to make something happen. And I was like, all right, well let's go. And then the Philly the Philly Special was called, and you know, I I looked at my receiver and it was one on one out there. When I knew as soon as I caught the ball from the toss that that safety was going to come flying down because he was flying down all game. And uh, as soon as I seen that guy one on one, I knew we had the better athlete. And that receiver, you know, he hasn't played all season, but I knew what he was about. And as soon as I seen him went inside. I knew I had to put it inside of him. It was a little underthrown, but I guess I put it in a spot where only he could get it.
Speaker 4: So could you give me fifteen carries? Today?
Speaker 11: I probably got three carries in it, three two yard carries.
Speaker 2: Have you been told anything about the NFL Draft as far as what the scouts think of you?
Speaker 11: You know, I'm talking a little bit, but you know I'm I'm not too worried about where I stand, hopefully in a good position. I haven't had anybody really reach out as much as talking about where I.
Speaker 12: Stand or you know, rounds and stuff like that.
Speaker 11: But you know, I have my agent that's working hard to you know, help me out and give me in a good position.
Speaker 2: So well, congrats, you got a lot to be proud of Arizona State on the football map. And it's been a while since when we've been able to say that, and you took Texas into a couple overtimes, and certainly congratulations on the season that you had.
Speaker 4: Cam.
Speaker 12: Thank you, I appreciate it.