Speaker 1: You're listening to the Bloomberg Sound on podcast. Catch us live weekdays at one Eastern on Bloomberg dot com, the iHeartRadio app and the Bloomberg Business app, or listen on demand wherever you get your podcasts.
Speaker 2: Still no deal on the border, but the Biden impeachment inquiry appears to be moving forward. Welcome to the fastest show in politics, faster than usual today as we wind up to our special FED coverage. The start of congressional recess is approaching with a long to do list, and we're going to talk about it with Congressman Brian Style, the Republican from Wisconsin, back with us today. Of course, serves on the Financial Services Committee, and we'll have his view as we head into the holidays. Here where's Hunter turns out on Capitol Hill Today Hunter Biden will explain why and what's going on with this oversight committee. Hearing discuss it all with our signature panel Bloomberg Politics contributors Rick Davis and Genie Shanzeno are with us for the hour or what we have of it. As I mentioned one p thirty, roughly half an hour from now, we're going to kick things back to New York for our special FED coverage. Right now we go to Capitol Hill to talk with the Congressman from Wisconsin. Brian Style back with us, and it's good to see you, sir. We've been talking for months and months about getting around chaos and dysfunction in the House, and I wonder where your head is now. Is we head for the holidays without a lot to show for it when it comes to a deal on the border or supplemental budget requests for Israel and Ukraine. Congressman, can this all happen when you come back in January? How's it going to go?
Speaker 3: I think I share the frustration with the American people for where we're at right now. Dividing government is difficult, and we're showing that to the American people. Unfortunately, the pressing issues of the border, of dealing with our broader spending bills, national defense policy all still remain on the table. I'd love to see us stay here and try to get it done before Christmas. It looks more and more likely, unfortunately, that we're going to be working on these in the new year.
Speaker 2: Okay, how about we pick through these one by one here and I'll start with the border Congressman even a couple of days ago. And I know that negotiations are happening, primarily in the Senate, but it seemed like we were getting warmer, maybe closer to a deal, as Democrats acknowledge even the White House that they're open to changes to asylum law. Republicans, I realize in the House are sticking close to HR two. But do you see any wiggle room that might bring both parties to the middle here to make a compromise.
Speaker 3: Well, hopefully we can see the Biden administration dramatically change course. The fact that Democratic mayors and cities like New York are calling on the Biden administration to change course, I think adds credence to the argument that the policies the Biden administration have been disastrous at the US Mexico border. As you noted, the House of Representatives under Republican control past HR two a robust border security package, and it only increases funding to secure the border, but also addresses, in particular the abuse of the asylum laws of the United States, where many illegal immigrants are falsely claiming asylum and then waiting the three to four years before those cases could be heard. I'd love to see the Senate come to a deal where we can actually secure the US Mexico border. I too was optimistic not that long ago, but my optimism continues to fade by the fact that the Biden administration is not engaging directly in these negotiations.
Speaker 2: Are you encouraged by what you're hearing from Democratic lawmakers though, whether it's Chris Murphy or even like I said, reporting from Bloomberg that the White House is open to items that weren't even being discussed Congressman a couple of months ago, whether it's the parole system, enhancing the deportation process, or as you mentioned, tightening asylum law. This was not a conversation that we were having until really just weeks ago. Does that not feel like progress?
Speaker 3: Well, it's progress, but only because the political pressure is building on the administration. I mean again, the fact that the governor of New York State, the mayor of New York City, Democrats across the country who are operating at the state and local level are dealing with the challenges of an unsecured border and are getting to wits end where they're actually on the president to change course. Is that building a political pressure which is forcing the administration to begin to come to the table, but there's a long ways to go. Again. The House passed a robust border security bill that I think really should be taken up in the Senate. Let them amend it, Let them have the vote on the floor of the Senate and see where they stand if they want to. But I think on the whole the American people will look at the Republican past HR two border security bill and will say that's good legislation that we need to secure the US Mexico border.
Speaker 2: I don't want to do this whole talk on the border. Congressman, we've heard even from from Congressman or Senator James Lankford is the Republican lead of negotiations in the Senate. Remind that HR two did not get a single Democratic vote, And I know that you see it differently here, But if that's the starting point, won't that likely delay a final product here when we could be talking compromising on some areas that I've already mentioned where it appears Democrats and Republicans see eye to eye.
Speaker 3: Well, I think what we have here, though, Joe, is the political wins have shifted pretty dramatically. The problem that conservatives have pointed out in Biden's border policies are now coming to fruition, and we continue to see the challenges being faced at the state and local level across the country. And the fact that Democrat elected officials across the country are calling on the Biden administration to change course, I think actually gives credence to the fact that the Republican policy put forward has a lot of validity to it. Again, if the Senate wants to make amendments to this, put this on the floor of the Senate and allow the amendments to go forward, and we'll see where people are at regarding each and every provision. I think what would see is that the Senate would actually move this forward, and I think that's the fear of Chuck Schumer and the Biden administration.
Speaker 2: Interesting, something did come to the floor in the Senate just last week, and that was the actual supplemental request. There was a procedural vote on this one hundred plus billion dollars for Ukraine, Israel, Taiwan and the money that had first been put forth by the White House for border sek curity. That of course failed, and the President talked about that in his news conference last evening with the President of Ukraine. Here's Joe Biden, and I'd love to have you respond.
Speaker 4: Russian loyalist in Moscow celebrated when Republicans voted to block Ukraine aid last week. A host of a Kremlin run show literally said, I quote, well done, Republicans.
Speaker 2: How do you respond to something like that, Congressman, knowing that funding for Ukraine as well as Israel and the others are on ice until the border can be solved.
Speaker 3: Well, I think ultimately right, it's a little bit of a pump fake there by the President trying to ignore the fact that Republicans have been pretty consistent. Let's secure the US Mexico border, and let's make sure that we're providing defense funding for our allies around the globe who are facing incredibly serious threats. So we can play the game of hide the ball, but it's not productive. The answer here is for the Senate to come to the table and to strike the deal to get the border security that's needed the US Mexico border, such that we can provide funding and in particular, provide weapons to the Ukrainians who're working to defend themselves against an unjust invasion from Russia as well as providing the resources that is needed in Israel so that they can eradicate the terrorist group Hamas.
Speaker 2: So you do support funding both as long as there's a border deal.
Speaker 3: Well, I think I want to look at any legislation that comes forward to make sure that it's targeted, to make sure that we have accountability for how those funds would be spent, to make sure that we actually have an endgame that we're driving forward. And as it relates to Ukraine, what I think we've really seen the President do is failure to actually dictate what the endgame is in Ukraine. That's a challenge in and of itself, but I think there is a true opportunity here to make sure that we're getting funding for the U in securing the US Mexico border and coupling that with the funding for our allies around the globe.
Speaker 2: Okay, a few other things that are on the list here, renewals for FIZA and the FAA. I know those have been kicked into the new year, and so has the budget itself. Congressman, are we going to be talking about a shutdown when you come back after the holidays? That the first transh of bills would expire in late January, the next in early February. This lattered cr that we all labored over is actually in place now, and the clock is ticking based on all of the other chaos and lack of compromise that we've seen the last couple of months. Do you think January will solve these issues? Or are we talking shutdown in twenty twenty four?
Speaker 3: This Congress has been so dysfunctional in a narrowly divided House, a narrowly divided Senate, and a Democratic president that has not been engaging. So I always remain concerned, but I've remained consistent keeping the United States government open and operational is an absolute priority. Republicans lose and Conservatives lose when we shut down the government because at the end of the day, we always end up spending more money. In the end, we need to get the top line number completed, meaning what's the total dollar amount that we're going to spend, strike that deal and allow the appropriators to get to work to determine how we're going to utilize the funds that we're going to allocate. The fact that we're delayed in this between Republicans and Democrats is darn frustrating for everyone. I remain concerned that this deadline is looming on us in the very near future. But hopefully this break that we're going to ultimately have for Christmas in the new year will allow cooler heads to prevail such that we can get the work done on funding for this year's ongoing federal government.
Speaker 2: That would be remarkable, not just based on history, but knowing the threats that could loom for the new Speaker of the House. I guess not so new. Mike Johnson has said no more crs. So that's going to be the question here whether there could be a short term solution. Congressman, would that get the speaker fired? Allah Kevin McCarthy if that happened.
Speaker 3: I think the Speaker has done a good job in unifying the House and moving us forward. Here is in a period of time where you have a narrow majority, and you have Democrats in the Senate and in the White House and divide a government, it is difficult to get anything done. I think when we hear that there's no more crs, let's get the actual job done. Let's actually pass the appropriations bills, the work that so much of the House has been done to do that. Passing a cr is not a good answer. It's simply better than shutting the government down. I think many of us are optimistic that we can get the top line number completed, allow the appropriators to get to work to get the final drafts of the bills done, and get those passed in both the House and the Senate and signed into law before the deadline.
Speaker 2: Have you heard from the Speaker about when everybody's going home, Congressman, I'm guessing that's going to be tomorrow or Friday.
Speaker 3: Well, we're scheduled here at the end of the week, but things in Washington change quickly. Again. If there's an opportunity to strike a deal to truly get border security, myself and others are going to stay in town to do that. Again. I would like us to stay here until we get that deal done, but ultimately we'll find out whether or not we're able to get that compromise and that piece of legislation across the line.
Speaker 2: Well, that would be a high sign. Otherwise, I guess we're back to this in January. I want to thank you for joining. Congressman Brian Style, the Republican from Wisconsin, another lawmaker here on this program, willing to work overtime through the weekend and up closer to the holiday like the rest of us, to make something happen. Congressman, if that's the case, we'd love to talk to you. We'll do good to see you, sir. With us from Capitol Hill Live Congressman Brian Style as we assemble our panel here on the Wednesday edition of Sound On, I'm Joe Matthew and Washington now joined by Rick Davis and Jeanie Shanzano, of course Bloomberg Politics contributors. Rick, it does look like they're going to be getting on airplanes on Friday and that there will not be a deal on the border. What do you make of Congressman styles idea everybody goes home for the holidays, cooler heads prevail. Because we've also seen the opposite happen when law makers leave town. What's this going to look like?
Speaker 5: Well, with all respect to Congressman Styles, I think a great interview. Very smart guy knows what's going on on Capitol Hill. But cooler heads never get anything done in Washington. I mean it's when they're back up against the wall. Deadlines are the only thing that gets Congress to act, and so why not use this perfectly good holiday to force these guys to earn a living and do their job. I mean, as he pointed out, there are a lot of appropriations bills that could use some work. It's not like they should be just sitting around waiting for the clock to tick, you know, not to mention Ukraine, Israel, border security and Taiwan. And everybody forgets about Taiwan. But they got elections in January. It'd be nice to show our support for the Taiwanese, you know, by passing this legislation. So I think the whole trick here is to jam them by forcing them to stick around until Christmas Eve if they have to. Won't be the first time. And I think the key player in this is who's got to be willing to make a deal on the border. That's probably going to upset his party, but it's the only way to get a deal done. In six months from now, he'll look pretty smart because he was able to fund this war in Ukraine and they were able to turn the tide in the spring.
Speaker 2: Well, the White House is apparently getting involved here in a real way, Jeanie, I don't know if Joe Biden can help to keep lawmakers in town. But we saw a really important meeting take place yesterday. Whether it leads to anything, I guess we'll decide how important it is going forward. But you've got the Homeland Secretary of may arcs there, the Deputy Chief of Staff was there, a Legislative Affairs director, all taking part in a meeting on Capitol Hill with the key negotiators. I'm guessing, Genie, you're going to tell me that should have taken place weeks ago, but it's happening now. Is that enough reason for lawmakers to stay in Washington?
Speaker 6: You know, I think they should stay in Washington. Of course, we all wished it happened weeks ago, hey, maybe years ago, but it didn't. The reality is, though, the incentive structure here, when you think about it from all perspectives, not just the White House, it's it's not playing to the advantage of anybody who wants to see border security passed. I mean, just think about it. Yes, the White House is getting pushed back from the left. We've heard from Senator Padia and others, the Hispanic Caucus. You've got a lot of folks on the left worried about what the White House may quote unquote cave in on. But it's not just the left. This would be a big boon to Brick's point, if the White House could get something on the border. Do we really think Republicans are incentivized to see that happen as we march weeks away into an election year. The incentive structure on the border issue has been wrong for a long time in my mind. Unfortunately, it continues to be wrong. The one thing I think we had in the favor with seeing Zelenski come over here. People do agree on getting Ukraine aated Israeli aid. Tying those together may push them over that, but so far we haven't seen movement there, and that's where I think we are held up at this point. And unfortunately, to Rix point, Taiwan but also Israel Ukraine probably going to have to wait until January if they get done at all at this.
Speaker 2: Point, Rick, CBS News reports the White House has a new proposal, a new border authority to expel migrants without asylum screenings, as well as a dramatic expansion of immigration detention and deportations. Congressman Style still talking about HR two, not a single Democrat voted for.
Speaker 1: That is an.
Speaker 2: Idea like this attractive? Or are you going to say we can't even enforce the rules currently on the books, what are we doing making a new border authority?
Speaker 5: Yeah, it sounds like a pretty interesting and run around old title forty two.
Speaker 2: We spent a lot of.
Speaker 5: Time this summer debating that, and so look, I mean it's it's creative, right. Last thing we need is another government agency. I mean that's what Homeline Security was created to do. And the fact that they aren't very good at it doesn't mean we need to replace something. You create something new. So I'm generally opposed to government expansion, but uh, look I want I want these these these these patriots in Ukraine and and Israel to get funding. I want a tighter border security. I'll take whatever I can get that titans the screening process and doesn't allow uh illegal immigration at our border, you know, without some kind of controls on it. And if this is one way to do that, not only will Republicans be interested in a deal like that, but big city mayors, who are all Democrats, whether they're in Chicago or New York, you know, uh, they are tired of you know, twenty buses a week coming into their cities and unloading immigrants looking for asylum.
Speaker 2: Giny, you mentioned the President uh meeting with President Zelenski yesterday. We didn't have a chance to talk about this because their news conference ran late at start, almost an hour late. Their meeting in the Oval ran late. Was that a worthy visit? It sounds like you thought it had an impact. We may not have a border deal, but it reminded folks of the needs in Ukraine. We heard some lawmakers though, suggest that they've been seeing a little too much of President Zelensky, not necessarily in person, but the asks keep coming. You know, on his last visit, his attitude rubbed people the wrong way. Does coming here in person help, you.
Speaker 6: Know, it can't hurt. The reality is there is bipartisan support still in Congress to get aid to Ukraine. Arguably to your point, there are more questions in Congress about the aid, how it's being used, what the end game is here. But the reality is is the Lensky came over here and he is being asked to move Congress on something that he has no control over, which is the border. And so you know, I'm not sure it makes that much of a difference. What was a difference was this year. I mean, last year he comes and there is standing ovation. This year we even saw Congress people who weren't even that interested in meeting with him or hearing from him. The ones who support him said that publicly. The ones who don't have been vocal about that. He does have the support needed, but if that's tied to border, it's not going to be something that Vladimir Zelenski, as talented as he is, can impact. And so this is where you know, I'm not sure that his visit, it's got to have been distressing for him. I'm not sure it's going to be effective and getting him what he needs in the short term.
Speaker 2: Was that a smart move Rick to come to the United States in the middle of all of this. Cito's about the border debate. President Zelensky knows about the funding issues here in Washington, the lack of consensus. He's still parachuted in the middle of it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, there is consensus on support for Ukraine, but there are a lot of chirping members in both the House and the Senate. And and we've talked about this being sort of a deadline. Right deadlines are good to get things done in Congress. He took the risk to travel here because he knew that we were entering a deadline and could we get this done before the end of the year, before the Christmas break, and he was willing to gamble his time and travel in order to get that done. I think he was respectfully received. I think that it probably drew more attention to Ukraine than otherwise would have gotten without him being here. So I think all those things are positive. Let's see what will come out of it. Let's see whether or not Republicans and Democrats in the Seneca work together to fashion a bipartisan solution, which is being worked on fevershly right now, to try and get out before these guys break for Christmas.
Speaker 2: Quick gut check before we go to Charlie Pellett for an update on the market. So I haven't even mentioned Hunter yet, and we're going to get there. For Rick and Genie, I'll start with Eugenius. The government going to shut down beginning of next year.
Speaker 6: I don't think it's in anybody's interest, so I'm gonna say no. But the three voat margin, I think it's anybody's guest. Given where the House is at this point.
Speaker 2: You know, the Republicans have an allergy, including the speaker Rick to another cr What do you think, Yeah, I.
Speaker 5: Think that forces action would have had more confidence than if they'd gotten some decent work done on those appropriations bills that are due by that first deadline in January, that it would have been a relatively easy thing to pass those. I think the Freedom Caucuses on their heels. So now's the time to sort of do the government's work while you still have a bit of a honeymoon.
Speaker 2: A speaker, Well, if only they listen to our panel more closely like we do. Where's Hunter he's here today in Washington. As a matter of fact, we're going to do that next and talk about a looming vote here on what appears to be set to formalize an impeachment. Incre you to Joe Biden. It's all happening today in the Capitol.
Speaker 1: You're listening to the Bloomberg Sound on podcast catch us Live He's ad one, Eastern, Bloomberg dot Com, the iHeartRadio app, and the Bloomberg Business app, or listen on demand wherever you get your podcasts.
Speaker 2: I'm Joe Matthew in Washington. You know who else is here, Hunter Biden. Not a lot of folks saw this coming. An interesting decision to actually set up a podium and a microphone right outside the capital. First thing this morning, reporters called to the steps of the Capitol again. Here he is.
Speaker 7: I am here to testify at a public hearing today to answer any of the committee's legitimate questions. Republicans do not want an open process where Americans can see their tactics, expose their baseless inquiry, or hear what I have to say. What are they afraid of? I'm here, I'm ready.
Speaker 2: Ready to testify publicly. But that's not what the committee wanted. The Oversight Committee, led by James Comer, wanted a closed door testimony from the younger Biden. This, of course, is Joe Biden's son. We knew in advance that he was not gonna do that. Through his lawyers. Hunter Biden already said that he would in fact answer the call to testify, but would only do so publicly. Members of the committee not happy, including members of the Judiciary Committee. Here's chair Jim Jordan.
Speaker 8: Disappointed that they didn't show up. I mean, he was just across the way at the Capitol you think he could have come here and set the question. If you're doing it in an open format, now you're gonna get You're gonna get filibusters, you're gonna get speeches, You're gonna get all kinds of things.
Speaker 2: What we want is the fact and all this is leading us to a vote later today. And you can connect the dots on this as you see fit. But it does appear to be a vote on an impeachment inquiry against Joe Biden. That'll happen after the closing bell. Let's reassemble the panel for their thoughts on this. Jinny Shanzano and Rick Davis Umberg Politics contributors, Genie, how could you say he is a no show when he showed? Was that a smart move for Hunter Biden?
Speaker 3: Today?
Speaker 6: It was a smart move. He is well represented by Abby Lowell, and I have to say, listening to Jim Jordan, since when did the representative oppose speeches and people grandstanding and felibustering. It's not that Jim Jordan used to know.
Speaker 2: Fair enough, that's what we thought hearings were for Rick Davis. But when you listen to Hunter Biden, he's referring to Maga He's sounding a lot like a politician here, or at least a political operative, knowing of course that some horrible things have been said about Hunter Biden, and he's done some pretty bad things too, as he acknowledged today in his speak.
Speaker 7: They continue to insist that my father's support of Ukraine against Russia is the result of a non existent bribe. They displayed naked photos of me during an oversight hearing, and they have taken the light of my dad's love, the light of my dad's love for me, and presented it as darkness. They have no shame.
Speaker 2: Rick Geny mentioned his lawyer Abby Lowell. This sounded like a speech that was written by the White House or maybe the Biden campaign, should Hunter Biden, Well, let me rephrase that. Does Hunter Biden help himself by making references to the ultra maga?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 5: I think it was actually a speech that would have been more likely written by Donald Trump's campaign. I mean, this is the year of no shame. I mean, so he just pulls up full you know, Donald Trump, and talks about his own foid balls and brings up a lot of topics. Nobody, nobody in the Biden campaign is going to sit around and say, yeah, let's go out there and talk about your drug addiction and all the problems that you had and all the laws that you knowingly and wilfully broke, and the ears of prison time that you've got coming down as the son of a president United States. Yeah, nobody's gonna nobody's gonna write that script. But Donald Trump, bring it on. The only thing that was missing was this is not a prosecution against me. It's a prosecution against you, the people of America. I mean, like I was waiting for that in the speech and it didn't come through. I was disappointed.
Speaker 2: Oh boy, all right, So let me turn that back around then, Jeannie. Is the Biden campaign cringing right now? Wouldn't they talk to him first?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 6: You know, I think they. I listened to what he had to say, and I thought it was well done. And I think the Biden administration is saying, way to go. And while Rick didn't hear them make the case you know they're prosecuting you, I certainly did. I mean, that's the case he is making. This is a political prosecution against my father because Donald Trump is worried about running against him. If it wasn't he he wasn't running. Do you think Republicans would be spending any time on Hunter Biden. I mean, that's the case he is making. Now, let's set that aside. Hunter Biden has done some really arguably horrific things illegal, and he should and is, in his own mind, in his own words, being held accountable for those There's no question. The question here is tying it to the president without any evidence so far of high crimes and misdemeanors. That's the problem. This is all political, and he's making that case and he'll continue.
Speaker 2: To Well, I wonder your thoughts on that. Let's go to the big one here, and that's the impeachment inquiry. It looks like there'll be a vote today that codifies this as a legitimate exercise in the House of Representatives. Maybe I shouldn't use the word legitimate. It'll make it official. You can save the tweets and emails. But Rick, we still haven't seen the smoking gun, a document that ties these activities by Hunter to the president or what Jim Comer refers to as the Biden crime family. Will Republicans regret moving this into impeachment?
Speaker 5: You know it's it's going to be a news story tonight. I mean, you know they're going to try and take this vote. The only thing that makes it an interesting news story is if they actually fail, I guess is it'll be a party line straight up, and they'll have a couple of vote margin and and and and claim that you know, they're going to move forward with this inquiry. Many members have already stated that unless there is a smoking gun, as you say, Joe, they're not going to vote for impeachment. And so this could be the longest inquiry in the history of impeachments. It could last all the way through to the election day next year. And and look, I mean I think Hunter gained them right, I mean, they wanted to take this vote tonight on the heels of his testimony. You don't think Comber would have run out of that that that hearing room that had been locked all day long and say I've got a smoking gun. We've got to open this inquiry now, I mean, like of course he would. So he's denied them that satisfaction. They got to take a straight vote. Now, it's all politics, as Genie says, But I've actually seen a lot of surveys where the American public is not backing this inquiry, so you know, proceed at your own risk. House Republicans. You wouldn't be the first time that when Congress goes after a president that it backfires on him politically. Bill Clinton, m.
Speaker 2: Does Joe Biden come out stronger than Jeannie?
Speaker 6: You know, I'm not so sure if he does or not. I think the reason we're seeing to eighteen from the Biden districts, eighteen Republicans who look likely at this point to support this inquiry vote is because they don't see a downside. We've talked about this before. Impeachment has now become watered down political tool to be used. It's stunning to me for a party that claims that it is, you know, committed to the Constitution, that they read the Constitution in a very fair and inconsistent with the with the way the Framers intended it to are do pushing for this because there is zero r evidence again of high crimes and misdemeanors. So, you know, I'm not sure though they see a downside because they think this will gin up their support at the polls, it will gin up contributions, and it won't deter independence potentially, So it's just another tool now and they're pursuing it, and this is why people are frustrated with Washington d C.
Speaker 2: Ginny Schanzano and Rick Davis, who thank you as always for great analysis. Thanks for listening to the Sound On podcast. Make sure to subscribe if you haven't already, at Apple, Spotify, and anywhere else you get your podcasts, and you can find us live every weekday from Washington, DC at one pm Eastern Time at Bloomberg dot com