Speaker 1: You're listening to Comedy Central.
Speaker 2: Now from the most trusted journalist at Comedy Central's America's only sorts for news, this is the Daily Joke with your host Jessie Line.
Speaker 3: We've got so much to talk about tonight. Joe Biden can't hear you scream, Doctor Oz is moving his practice to Washington, and Trump body slams the Department of Education.
Speaker 4: So let's get into it with another.
Speaker 3: Installment of Trump two point zero coming for the White House.
Speaker 5: I'm gonna come.
Speaker 3: We got a lot of transition news, but first let's check in with the guy currently transitioning out of the White House, Joseph retirement Biden. He just wrapped up a trip to I don't know, it doesn't really matter anymore, but one reporter was still very interested in hearing from him.
Speaker 6: Pay for your birthday came to the problem for you. Please talk to please. We have heard from you, mister.
Speaker 4: Mister President.
Speaker 6: I love you.
Speaker 4: My mom drove me all.
Speaker 6: The way from Milwagge to see you.
Speaker 4: I'm a poster of you eating ice cream above my bad.
Speaker 6: Please please.
Speaker 3: I have never heard a journalist shouting so frantically to be fair. She does work for the sinking into quicksand Gazette.
Speaker 4: But let's talk about.
Speaker 3: The man reporters will be shouting out for the next four years Donald Trump. So far, he's made a number of cabinet picks whose main qualification seems to be being on TV. His Defense secretary is a guy from Fox and Friends, his Transportation secretary is a guy from Fox Business, and his Attorney General is a guy who I'm pretty sure was on to catch a predator and apparently he's still flipping channels.
Speaker 7: Trump tapping yet another television personality to join his administration, this time doctor Memet Oz. Trump naming the TV doctor to oversee Medicare and Medicaid for more than one hundred and sixty million Americans.
Speaker 4: Okay, all right, okay, but hold on.
Speaker 3: It could be worse. It could be worse. At least doctor Oz is an actual doctor. I'm impressed he didn't pick doctor Pepper. Now am going to tell him that this isn't actually a doctor's job. This is running a vast insurance bureaucracy. If you have to pick someone from TV, at least pick the limu emu.
Speaker 4: But hear him out, hear him out.
Speaker 3: What are doctor Oz's qualifications for running a one point four trillion dollar agency that affects the lives of one hundred and sixty million people.
Speaker 1: In his statement, Donald Trump led by saying doctor Oz has won nine Daytime Emmys.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that adds up. That adds up. And even if this was a job that you had.
Speaker 3: To scrub in for, I'm not sure he'd be the doctor that you want.
Speaker 5: In the early days the pandemic, how to the drug hydro hydroxy chloroquin which doesn't work against COVID nineteen Columbus University cut ties. You may remember with him several years after a group of colleagues accused him of manifesting quote an egregious lack of integrity by promoting quack treatments and cures in the interest of personal financial gain.
Speaker 3: I hope he was promoting quack science for personal gain. It would be way weirder if he was just doing it for the love of the game. But yes, as Anderson Cooper points out, doctor Oz has a long history of medical quackery. I wonder how people got the idea that he was a serious medical expert in the first place.
Speaker 5: The first vaccines against the H one N one virus are being distributed.
Speaker 4: Are they safe?
Speaker 5: I'll let you ask the expert, Doctor mem and Oz hosted The Doctor Oz Show, The Threat.
Speaker 7: From Drug Resistant Bacteria and out front tonight, we're lucky to have Doctor Oz host of The Doctor Oz Show.
Speaker 2: We are back with the great Doctor Oz and talking about a very critical thing for audience about funding woman's g spop.
Speaker 4: Yeah, thank you, I'm good. I got it. I got it. I completely forgot.
Speaker 3: CNN had that show Old Guys Talkin' Pussy right after Crotch Fire, and of course you can count on a guy named Oz to know what's behind the curtains. But listen, uh huh, yeah, yeah, listen. If you need to see an end segment to teach you how to make your wife orgasm, don't worry. She's been the neighbor for six months. And you might be saying, relax, Doctor Oz doesn't have to know what he's doing. He'll have people around him who do sure, except that Doctor Oz's boss will be RFK Junior, who.
Speaker 4: Also doesn't know what the's doing.
Speaker 3: There's not going to be a layer of competent workers at some point, it's just celebrities all the way down. Because Donald Trump isn't really picking leaders of agencies. He's just picking mascots. But nobody expects mister Meant to actually pick up a bat and hit a ball, because one, he would just be at it, and two you're basically asking him to hit his children and he can't do that. And yes, mister Mett is the father of every baseball all with different mothers. What can I say, Ironically, the guy hates to wear a glove. I can't feeling the same. But to be fair, Trump isn't just filling his cabinet with daytime TV personalities. He's also hiring from pay per view.
Speaker 7: Trump has also picked major Republican donor and former pro wrestling executive who is helping with.
Speaker 4: His transition, Linda McMahon for Education secretary.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's right, pro wrestling executive Linda McMahon. You might remember her from being head of Small Business in Trump's previous administration. Or you might remember her from the time she kicked her husband in the balls. It's too bad that was fake, because he's a monster. Now does Linda McMahon have expertise in education? No, of course not. She's being appointed to the Department of Education. Why would she but it doesn't matter anyway when you hear Trump's plans.
Speaker 8: And one other thing I'll be doing very early in the administration is closing up the Department of Education. In total, American society pours more than a trillion dollars a year into public education systems. But instead of being at the top of the list, we are literally right smack. Guess what at ther boy.
Speaker 3: Did he just say right smack at the bottom? I thought right smack was more of a middle thing. It's like saying we are dead first people, but if we're not careful, we could hit rock middle. But until Trump dissolves the department, I guess Lenda McMahon will be in charge, and we don't know what her policies will be exactly, but at least we know her position on child discipline. But Mom, just remember, like you told me when I was a little girl, this is gonna hurt me a lot worse than it hurts you. That is what I call traditional family values. Yes, so we'll see who else Trump appoints to his cabinet in the days ahead, although the way things are trending, will probably be equally unqualified for the job. But good news, the Trump transition team is getting ahead of it by releasing this orientation video.
Speaker 9: Hi. I'm DEBORAHM. Alone and if you watch this, you're a random television personality who Donald Trump just appointed to run a huge federal agency. Right now, you might be wondering how did I get this job? So I'm just in charge now? And wait, what is my job?
Speaker 4: Again?
Speaker 9: Well, I can assure you the answer to all of these questions is I don't know. I also was appointed to my job without knowing what it is. Trump saw me on a reverse mortgage add on Fox News, and here I am.
Speaker 4: It's totally cool.
Speaker 9: And while starting a new job is never easy, there are two things to remember. One, we're all in the same boat, even if that boat is the Titanic. And two, more than likely someone else will put up worse than you. Like RFK, I'm pretty dumb, but that guy, that guy's dumb. Best of luck, and thanks for watching. I'm DEBORAHM. Malone, the the Secretary of Internal Communications.
Speaker 4: Okay, wow, so that's what my job title is. Awesome. Good luck.
Speaker 3: When we come back, troit Uata finds out the right tip for everything.
Speaker 4: Welcome back to the Daily Show.
Speaker 3: America is finally getting inflation under control, but there's one thing that always seems to be getting more expensive.
Speaker 4: Troit Uata has more.
Speaker 10: Everyone is talking about the hottest new form of inflation, tip plation.
Speaker 4: Americans are springing from so called tipflation. Now it's being encouraged for a growing number of services, restaurants to cap face and even self check out KIOF.
Speaker 10: Tipping is so hot even the President elect is talking about it.
Speaker 8: When I get to office, we are going to not judge taxes on tips.
Speaker 10: And I don't know about you, but personally it's been stressing me out.
Speaker 4: Selsy at cheapskates. If the reserve relys on tips, you don't think they deserve a fairly.
Speaker 11: I don't deserve coffee.
Speaker 10: So I needed to hear if anyone else is stressed about the uptick and tipping requests, and if they're dehydrated from crying too.
Speaker 4: It's a little much.
Speaker 3: Where you go somewhere and you're seeing tip jars at grocery stores.
Speaker 10: Anywhere that I go to get launch or coffee nowadays has like an automatic tipping option.
Speaker 11: The biggest thing is like the lowest percentage just keeps getting higher.
Speaker 4: I saw even a tip system at a plant store.
Speaker 11: What have the plants done for us besides give us air to breathe? Yeah, it looks like almost everyone not getting tips agrees about tipping. Hey, but do these hospitality workers notice tipping popping up everywhere?
Speaker 12: It is everywhere. I'm waiting for the MTA now workers to be asking for a tip, just.
Speaker 4: Hanging out the way.
Speaker 12: Here's your stopping by the way.
Speaker 11: Do you have any theory as to why that's happening?
Speaker 4: People need to live, People are shuggling.
Speaker 13: We see it across the nation right now, with so many different industries.
Speaker 10: All right, so everyone agrees tipping is popping up everywhere and it sucks, So why not cancel the tip?
Speaker 12: We don't make enough, so we look for the tip to like all come together and make up for what we're not getting by the hour. And plus, people need to realize that when you're tipping the waiter or the waitress, they also are paying out bussers and the bar tendures that need to be tipped from that tip that you're leaving as well.
Speaker 10: Right, it's clear tipping is overwhelming, but how do we escape it? And then I found it Lula Cafe, a tip free haven where all the employees had help care and no one carried the decimal point. They just carried food to the table. So I sat down with owner Jason Hammill to hear how he ran a restaurant without tips.
Speaker 1: Well, we actually do still accept tips at Lula.
Speaker 4: We did well, Dan.
Speaker 1: We employ a dual system of a service charge and tips. Our system takes the reliance on tips away, so there's more pay equity. But you know, we're pretty busy, like sizeable restaurants to create that sustainability. But like, if you're smaller, maybe it doesn't work for you.
Speaker 10: Okay, I'm running out of working ideas. But the president elected say something, Oh right, he was going to get rid of taxes on tips. I think just putting that little bit of money back in our pockets isn't such a bad thing.
Speaker 4: I think that's there is a delusion of your tax on it. Love it wholeheartedly, agree.
Speaker 12: One hundred percent love.
Speaker 10: Wow, that was easy. So we just stopped taxing tips, no problems whatsoever.
Speaker 1: It does feel kind of like it'll incentivize companies to have more tip workers or workers that rely more on tips than actually the company's paying.
Speaker 4: Do you think if there was no federal tax on tips. People would get their entire paycheck in tips.
Speaker 1: I mean, that's certainly a concern.
Speaker 10: Back to square one, what else you got would be nice if they just raised the minimum wage, it.
Speaker 13: Would just be the servers get to keep their actual tips. But also I think that it's a much bigger issue overall. The federal minimum wage needs to be raised.
Speaker 10: Easy problem solved.
Speaker 13: You know, when people that aren't in the industry are talking about it, they're like, well, the owners should just pay them more. But also the food service industry, like the margins are incredibly thin. Yeah, it would be really nice to pay someone forty five dollars an hour, but unfortunately that would shut down most places.
Speaker 11: Don't you think that politicians could solve this by just raising the minimum wage?
Speaker 1: Sure on maybe some healthcare and yeah, that would be good.
Speaker 12: Yeah, the healthcare part would be really good.
Speaker 10: Yeah, there's a lot of attack here, but you know we're not here to talk about healthcare. Well, okay, so tipping is everywhere more than ever. People need tips to make a living because minimum wage is so low and taxing tips is bad. But we need to raise the minimum wage first, so companies don't resort to paying the tipped minimum on even more jobs, which could result in tipped employees needing the consumer to tip more so they can make a living, which will result in tipping being everywhere more than ever. So how much do I tip to make sure no one starves?
Speaker 12: It's all on me?
Speaker 11: Are you okay?
Speaker 10: Do I look okay? My big takeaway, I still don't know how much to tip.
Speaker 4: Thank you so much for speaking with me.
Speaker 10: I don't know what twenty percent for twenty five or eighteen, I don't know how much.
Speaker 4: You can.
Speaker 13: Just go ahead and give us the wallet and we'll take care of it.
Speaker 10: Just give us your wallet.
Speaker 4: Jolly ninety higher will be doing me. Welcome back to the.
Speaker 3: Jamie Folm my guest tonight as a member of the iconic boy band New Kids on the Block and an actor who stars in the new Roku original film Jingle Bell Love.
Speaker 14: Please welcome Joey my good.
Speaker 6: Wo wow.
Speaker 15: Oh yeah, wasn't that that was a There was a pumpkin spice latte in that scene. I could feel the spicy oh I could.
Speaker 4: I could feel it too.
Speaker 3: There was a lot of spice coming off coming off from there.
Speaker 15: My beautiful who plays my daughter as Delia Chambers and she's amazing. And that's Michelle Morgan as well.
Speaker 4: It's great to work with Pothia. They're phenomenal in the film, and so are you.
Speaker 3: But first of all, before we get into all this, I need to know did you get all my letters thirty years ago?
Speaker 15: I mean, we need like an overtime episode of this was so much to work out.
Speaker 4: So lots of work out. I didn't hear back from you.
Speaker 15: Well, you you went against our nda. You told everybody we got married years ago, yes, that that was your first of three marriages.
Speaker 4: Yes, you didn't.
Speaker 15: You didn't clear that with me.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, first you and then it was Donnie.
Speaker 15: Yeah, and that guy, that other guy.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 15: So listen, I'm glad to be part of your you know life in Lexico.
Speaker 4: You definitely.
Speaker 3: My eight year old self is squealing with excitement right now. I love it for the for the young people in the audience. New Kids on the Block was Ouri the biggest boy band.
Speaker 4: They call it, they call it for OG's.
Speaker 15: I mean we always point to a new edition who is from our town too. But you know, the long line of being part of pop history. But what we love is that blockheads are in positions of power, so they call the shots and that's why I'm sitting here today.
Speaker 3: Well take it, take any this is Yeah, you're right, dozens of people are watching right now, dozens important people.
Speaker 4: But how does it feel to be part of that kind of legacy.
Speaker 15: It's lovely, it really is. I mean, we've been able to not mess it up. We say, we have the greatest fans in the world. We've known each other for a long time and uh, we've always put friendship first and that was part of that you know story as well. So we're blessed and we continue to do great things. We're doing uh a Vegas residency starting next June.
Speaker 4: So yeah, we're still doing it. We're still doing it both.
Speaker 3: Now how X rated will that be? Because that will determine whether I'm going to.
Speaker 4: Be there or now.
Speaker 15: Again, there's different levels of the VIP experience. You know, I can talk to some people like Okay, yeah, there's different.
Speaker 4: Than this to get on somewhere in the magic mic.
Speaker 3: Yeah, maybe maybe here's hoping I will see you. You have been able to really transcend not just in music, but in acting, TV and film, in theater, and you've got this new Christmas movie out right now, which is very sweet, is it? Are you a fan of holiday movie? What's your favorite holiday movie? I'm an Eyes Wide Shut?
Speaker 4: You beat me.
Speaker 15: I was just going to stay home alone. But that's pretty obvious watching that.
Speaker 4: With the kids.
Speaker 15: You know, what does he say, you filthy? What what does he say? McCall fuilt the animal? Filthy animal?
Speaker 4: Thank you very much?
Speaker 15: Yeah, yeah, you got to watch that every season.
Speaker 3: That's a great That is a great family movie. I can't watch Eyes Wide Shut with my family. No, it's not quite the same.
Speaker 4: I didn't see that coming. Glad you came here to know. I'm thrilled. I'm thrilled. I'm trying.
Speaker 15: Was there even any Christmas scene in that movie at all?
Speaker 4: I think it was.
Speaker 15: Released on I don't want to miss something.
Speaker 4: I'm not mistaken.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you, but what was the experience like filming that movie?
Speaker 1: It is?
Speaker 4: It was lovely.
Speaker 15: We did it in Montreal where it's French speaking up there, so it made it even more romantic. You have this wonderful French crew and my friend Stephanie Black was one of the writers, and she said, you want to do this movie next thing? You know, we're shooting the movie, and we're all very thrilled to be a.
Speaker 4: Part of it.
Speaker 3: It's so sweet, especially at a time like why do I feel.
Speaker 4: Like I'm interviewing you now? Do you have questions? Do I have guests? Vibe or interview or vibe? I'm like, so tell me, let's speak. Because we were married many years ago.
Speaker 3: So what he is referring to, There was a sketch that we filmed a few months ago, and we begged him to come to a cameo in this sketch. But this man is constantly doing seventeen different projects at all times.
Speaker 15: I held out for this spot some skit.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and I'm grateful that you did.
Speaker 15: Ye Now Yeah, yeah, this is that all.
Speaker 4: This is so much more fun. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Now, do you think that more people fall in love around Christmas time? Or is that just holiday movie propaganda?
Speaker 15: You know, it's just a time for us to say time out world, You know what I mean, let's let's play, let's let's fantasize whatever works for you. Yeah, and I think I'm just happy to finally be a part of that officially.
Speaker 3: So last weekend I got a little time out moment. I got to come see you in the off Broadway show.
Speaker 4: Drag the Musical. Yes, yeah, if you're in New York.
Speaker 3: Please go see this if you haven't already. To me, it was the perfect post election. It was so much fun.
Speaker 4: It's funny. You're wonderful in it. Thank you.
Speaker 15: It's got It's not just the Drag show. It's but it's it's got hard. It's a real book, it's a real musical. And uh, number one job though is to entertain you, and I think we do that every night you do.
Speaker 3: It's a great show you.
Speaker 4: You have a solo number called I'm Just a straight Man.
Speaker 15: Yes, yes, it says it kicks off I like Star Wars and Pearl Jam and beer in it can I'm.
Speaker 6: Just a straight Man.
Speaker 4: So it kind of it kind.
Speaker 15: Of comes out of nowhere in the show. So it you know, I don't know if it works for the Daily Show, but it kills every night.
Speaker 4: It works. It is very it's very funny.
Speaker 3: Here's my concern though, is that with this new administration, it may become the new national anthem.
Speaker 15: I know, well, listen, I this is I'm gonna be very calm, diversial. Please, I'm going to try to get along with both halves of the country for the four years.
Speaker 4: I'm going to try. I'm going to try.
Speaker 15: No pause, no, no, no, they're saying, not me.
Speaker 3: Now, that's the holiday spirit, thank you, that's the holiday spirit. So you have this residency in Vegas and you also have a solo album.
Speaker 4: You know, I got a lot of stuff.
Speaker 15: Am I talking too much about that? I'm a little too busy, But it's like a Christmas dump Listen, I do I have I have a solo album.
Speaker 4: We're not that kind of show.
Speaker 3: Okay, that is where we'll do a lot here, but that's where we draw the line.
Speaker 4: Okay, no dumb thinks. Where are the by the way, where are.
Speaker 15: I was going to go on a h.
Speaker 4: Help me. I feel like I know you're going to find it for me. The ryde from JFK into New York. There should be more no dumping signs.
Speaker 15: Okay, this is for daily show over time. Clearly you're not going to see this.
Speaker 4: On you, but you too willing back to my back to my solo album.
Speaker 15: I do, Yes, I do have a solo album that you can pre save on Monday. I'm very excited about it.
Speaker 4: It's called Freedom, which is a big term nowadays.
Speaker 15: This is this is more about personal freedom and uh, carving out time and following your dreams. And I was able to, you know, commit to this album. And I'm excited about it and satisfied. So there's one more pitch, one more plug.
Speaker 4: What I love it? That was it? That was it.
Speaker 3: Thank you for congratulations. I'm very very excited for it. Before I let you go, I have to ask you one final question. Do you ever get sick of grown women fan girling over you?
Speaker 4: Not on the Daily Show? Baby, you don't, okay, I'm a good un I'm glad you said that, because.
Speaker 6: I would love for you to sign.
Speaker 4: My pillow like mock balls. No, this is FO that's good. I would love for you to sign it. This is this is the.
Speaker 3: Pillow I'll be screaming into for the next four years. So I really appreciate you being here.
Speaker 15: Can I sign it to you specifically?
Speaker 4: Yes, you can, HI very much.
Speaker 15: Sure it's not some other blockheads. I know I know how to spell it.
Speaker 4: It was on the first marriage license.
Speaker 15: I don't all.
Speaker 4: Right, Thank you very much, thank you.
Speaker 11: Thank you.
Speaker 4: Jingle Mom is now screaming for free on the Roken Channel.
Speaker 6: Joey Nugga hire'n.
Speaker 3: Before we go, please consider supporting Feeding America. They're the largest hunger relief organization in the United States. If you can support them in their work, please donate to the link below now Here it is your moment of zen. As you were giving your answer, I was thinking if anybody ever asked me to be a senator, which would never.
Speaker 4: Happen, I would be like, I'm tired. I'm just too tired to do it. But you're clearly cut from a different gloss.
Speaker 10: If we've learned one thing from the last couple of weeks, don't be so quick to say you're not going to be picked for something if you work at boxes Trump.
Speaker 4: Thank you True.
Speaker 2: Explore more shows from the Daily Show podcast universe by searching The Daily Show wherever you get your podcasts. The Daily Show weeknights at eleven tenth Central on Comedy Central and stream full episodes anytime on Paramount
Speaker 4: Plus Paramount Podcasts