Speaker 1: Hello Sunshine, Hey fam Today, on the bright Side, we're sitting down with the newest member of the Real Housewives of Beverly Hills, Bozima Saint John. She's walking us through the power moves that earned her the title of Forbes Number one most Influential Chief Marketing Officer. Plus she's revealing why she said yes to housewives, how she's navigating life in front of the camera, and why she's more unapologetic than ever.
Speaker 2: Treats your intuition.
Speaker 3: She's your best friend, the one who's going to never see her you wrong, who has your best interests at heart, and who's always going to take care of you.
Speaker 2: The more you do that, the more successful you will be.
Speaker 4: It's Thursday, December fifth.
Speaker 5: I'm Simone Boyce, I'm Danielle Robe and this is The bright Side from Hello Sunshine, a daily show where we come together to share women's stories, to laugh, learn and brighten your day.
Speaker 1: Danielle, we have a true rock start on the show today, Bozama Saint John.
Speaker 5: Yes, she really is a powerhouse and pert. Particularly well known in the marketing world. She's represented some of the most recognizable brands in America. I'm talking Netflix, endeavor Uber, Apple Music, Pepsi Co. Have you ever heard of these little companies before? I mean huge, And she's behind some of their most memorable marketing campaigns as well. At Pepsi, she was part of the team that brought Beyonce's iconic Super Bowl halftime performance to audiences around the world.
Speaker 1: I mean, how many people can say that they were an instrumental part in bringing Beyonce to the super Bowl stage.
Speaker 4: It's incredible. Yeah, if that learn enough.
Speaker 1: She's been inducted into the American Marketing Association Hall of Fame, and there's a Harvard Business School case study written about her career. She's crafted entire workshops outlining her signature badass approach to business, all while living an urgent life. See Bosma's life is the stuff dreams are made of when you look at all the successes and awards and the brand that she's built on being unapologetically badass. But she's no stranger to deep, profound grief. Millions of readers have found comfort in her raw, honest reflections on loss after the deaths of her firstborn daughter and her husband Peter.
Speaker 5: She's really turned all of these experiences into powerful lessons like you said, she's even crafting workshops that teach her signature badass approach to business and life, all while living with the sense of urgency and purpose. I feel like today we're getting a mini masterclass inside the mind of Bozoma's Saint John. And here's some really exciting news. After conquering success behind the scenes in boardrooms in Hollywood, she's stepping in front of the camera. This year, Bozama joined the cast of the Real Housewives of Beverly Hills, and I feel like she's already spiced things up. I'm excited to continue watching and see what her storyline is. But I think she's changed the energy of the whole franchise. They've never had somebody in the boardroom the way she's been, and so I'm excited to see the energy she brings from.
Speaker 4: The boardroom to Beverly Hills. They better watch out, Elle.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well let's bring her in, Bozma, Saint John, welcome to the bright side.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I feel bright and happy and amazing. So thank you for having me.
Speaker 5: We're so happy you're here. Congrats on the Real Housewives of Beverly Hills.
Speaker 2: Thank you. It's so great. Look I got so much to say.
Speaker 1: Well, let's get into it, Bosma. I have been following you four years, and I gotta say, every time you speak, it's like I'm listening to a sermon. Whether the message is about marketing, about pivoting, about self worth, grief, parenting, it's always a bar. Hey, what made you decide to join the Church of the Housewives.
Speaker 2: I see what you did there. I see what you did there, and it's clever. I like it.
Speaker 3: Gosh, Well, I mean, should we say it's a congregation or is it a cult?
Speaker 5: Both?
Speaker 1: Okay, yes, it's a cultigration? Well yeah, did you just make up a new term? We do it sometimes, we do.
Speaker 2: Okay, we got bars from you too. I like that, you know what?
Speaker 3: So here, that's the thing is that I, as you know, have been in corporate America for a quarter of a century. Ooh, bitch is old. Okay, I've been out here, I've been outside, but you don't look it. We thank God for the blessings, you know what I mean? We thank God. Those are my hater's tears that morturized my skin. And I have had a surprising career. I would say, not one that many people would have predicted. I certainly would have predicted it, and so in this season, I just looked around and said, you know what, there are a number of things I want to do, and being even more transparent about my life, about the everyday's things that happen did not feel.
Speaker 2: Scary to me when I was approached to do the show.
Speaker 3: You know, it didn't feel like, oh, this is such a crazy departure, like why would I do it? Because it's not like it was like a super strategic thing. But the truth of the matter is that I'm simply living a very urgent life which is very intentional based on my desires and wants it needs. And so I don't know that I could say that like, if this opportunity to come five years.
Speaker 2: Ago, I would have done it. Life was different.
Speaker 3: Then why do you think that is because I had different objectives? Let me be very specific. Five years ago, where was I? That was what twenty nineteen. I was at Endeavor, So as a chief marketing officer Endeavor, which oversees WME, the UFC New York Fashion Week, Miss Universe above conglomerate, and I was doing really exciting things there that I felt was taking up all of my time. My daughter was also ten. You know, it's just a different life. And so again I think that, and maybe in five years from now, if I had been approached, I would mean in a different place, so I'd be like, oh, I'm too busy.
Speaker 2: There's too many things going on. I don't think I have time.
Speaker 5: Well, when you say you're following your desire, I'm curious what that is now because we know you as CMO of Uber, of Netflix, I mean, crazy resume, the hugest companies in the world. But reality TV is a different story. You're still selling an idea. But what is the desire now?
Speaker 3: The desire is to be more seen for the fullness of who I am. I mean, people see me and they think they know me, you know, but they know a slice. They know me as a corporate baddy who drops bars.
Speaker 2: You know who.
Speaker 3: And even in my personal life people think they know me because I talk about my past a lot. You don't know anything about right now. You don't know who I'm dating, you don't know if I can cook. You have an idea about the conversation I have with my kid. So it's hard for me to truly articulate.
Speaker 2: Like, why did you do this? I did it for a lot of reasons and no reason at all.
Speaker 1: That's the thing you don't have to Your answer is your answer. Your answer is a complete sentence like it was an easy yes for you. Yeah, for whatever reason, it just like it was in alignment with where you are right now.
Speaker 3: But this I'm telling you is that every decision I have made about my career has been an easy yes. And it's an easy yes because I've listened to my intuition. I've not had to go in and check in with and sometimes people call like your mentors and whatever, like a border directors.
Speaker 2: I don't check in with those people.
Speaker 5: I don't have that.
Speaker 2: That's actually the downfall.
Speaker 3: Okay, that's what actually will get you in trouble, lead you to failure, lead you to being stuck in the middle. You go asking too many people for their opinions about your own life, and you should know better. And so why you out here asking people what they think you should do? Why do you ask you people what they think you should wear? Why are you ask them what do you think you should have for lunch?
Speaker 2: Make those decisions yourself.
Speaker 3: The more you trust your intuition, I swear, the better you'll be And the more successful you'll be. And so for me, it's like every career decision, every career pivot, all those things I've made because I've decided I just wanted to and I went.
Speaker 5: I'm a proclaimed Housewives fanatic fanatic. I don't know. I watch every single season.
Speaker 2: Yes, I do, every single franchise.
Speaker 5: Yeah. The only one I didn't watch was Dallas, and that was like, it only lasted two seasons. It wasn't very good. So I watched last night. I know you're going to add so much to this show. You and Derwit sort of have like an immediate love fest. I'm going I'm curious to see where that goes, and I have some curiosity. We're gonna do some Real Housewives superlatives.
Speaker 2: Okay, oh okay, okay, okay.
Speaker 5: Okay, before starting, who were you most excited to me?
Speaker 2: Oh, Kathy Hilton.
Speaker 5: Who were you most nervous to meet face to face?
Speaker 2: Kind of make me nervous?
Speaker 5: I love that answer. Okay. Who's the life of the party.
Speaker 2: Life of the party, Jennifer Tilly?
Speaker 5: Who's the potstar?
Speaker 2: The pot star? Sutton?
Speaker 5: Who has the best style? Besides you?
Speaker 3: Oh, besides me, Erica Jane. We're sure, she's ok one who gave me a run for my money and I and she's gonna have to run far.
Speaker 5: Who gives off main character energy.
Speaker 2: Aside for myself? Right?
Speaker 5: Yeah, obviously? Actually I think you got to give you that one.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I feel like I'm the main character. Like, how do they come in like thirty seconds to take over?
Speaker 2: I mean, seriously, it's for real.
Speaker 5: Okay, I'm gonna be shady for one second and then I'm gonna pull it back. Who do you think benefits most from an edit?
Speaker 4: An edit?
Speaker 2: See?
Speaker 3: Now, this is shady. This is shady because you know it is DT. Okay, but let me but let me just let me explain myself. Okay, it's only because I think she loves to give context. But sometimes it's like, girl, you just need to tell me exactly.
Speaker 2: What you're saying. That's it, you know what I mean?
Speaker 5: The rest?
Speaker 2: Yes, but you know, I'm not mad at her for wanting to give context. I love it. But I'm glad that you're a fan though. That's so great.
Speaker 5: Oh, such a fan. I'm so happy you're on the show. You're really stepping into a world that thrives on big drama. And even though you are a dramatic person in a beautiful theatrical way, but yeah, I don't really like see you as being into the nitty gritty of like talking behind people's backs.
Speaker 3: Now, no, no, no, If I talk behind your back, it's because you deserved it. And I've probably said it's your face already, you know what I mean. But to that point, it's like the drama is really real, and I don't know that I knew that before, you know, I didn't think that, like, oh everything has manufactured, Like I wasn't one of those people who's like conspiracy theorists, like, oh my gosh, the producers must like set you up, Like I didn't think that. But I have to admit that I was one of those people who judge people when they fall in love on TV after three weeks, you know what I mean, and just like, okay, now, how you just decided to marry this person.
Speaker 2: I was definitely judging. Okay, But now I understand. I think I would have married somebody on this damn show, you know what I mean.
Speaker 3: Because the thing is it like you're in such intense conversations all of the time. We go to lunch or go to somebody's house and we are boomed in I'm telling you about the things that are going on with my kid, or I'm telling you the thing that's going on with the ferst time I'm dating, or oh my god, you're going through a divorce, girl, let me help you get an attorney. My god, when do we do that in normal friendships? Everyday friendship And sometimes you know, you want to go to brunch with your girlfriend. You just want to get drunk, you know what I mean, You just want to sip some champagne and then go home tipsy. But in this case, it's like we sit down and yes, we still drink in some champagne, but we're also talking about very deep things. And so I was really surprised by the depth of relationships that, like, I really care about these women in a way that has surprised me.
Speaker 1: What happens when the cameras stop, really did anything about that?
Speaker 3: Surprise you? You mean during the season life? When yeah, during this taping. I'll just speak for myself right as a fan before I joined, which was that I thought that they can't possibly.
Speaker 2: Be really real friends, you know what I mean?
Speaker 3: But yeah, you end up like your friends and so the same thing that happens anytime.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 3: It's like if Erica came over to my house and we were talking about something deep and personal, if she cried, if I cried, if we got mad, whatever, I'm calling her tomorrow, you know, or I'm texting her later.
Speaker 2: I'd be like, girl, you all right, you know, I'm just checking in on you. How you doing?
Speaker 3: Or when things were popping off with Kyle to you best believe I was texting her like, hey, do you see what your man did?
Speaker 2: You know what I mean?
Speaker 3: Like, So, it's it's not just for the camera all the time. I just think that the cameras get lucky. Of course, the situation is that, okay, look, the two of you are going to go talk or have lunch or whatever, and so cameras are there, but I think that the conversations are happening anyway.
Speaker 5: I read an article that said that you were surprised that Housewives is run like a boardroom.
Speaker 2: I'm surprised it behaves like a boardroom.
Speaker 5: Okay, so tell me what you mean.
Speaker 3: So here's the thing. Okay, another big, big surprise. I felt like, you know what, this is gonna be casual because these are women, they're friends, they have this agreements, yes, but you can get over it, right, It's not really a big deal. But boardrooms are more intense than that, meaning that the conflicts are there, the conflict resolution.
Speaker 2: Sometimes does not exist.
Speaker 3: The politics of who sides with who and who's got who's back is there in boardrooms. It's like, look, you might find yourself cut in a boardroom. All of those dynamics exist, and so I feel like the last twenty five years has prepared me for this room. You know that this is not that different. There's this conflict of miscommunication that's causing a tumult, and therefore there's no solution being made. Hella, I've dealt with that in so many instances. Okay, don't get me talking about the tech boys in Silicon Valley and the kind of conflict I have with them. So these ladies, I was like, oh, okay, I understand this. I understand this room. I can deal with these women.
Speaker 5: That makes sense.
Speaker 4: Don't go away.
Speaker 1: We've got to take a quick break, but we'll be right back with Bozima Saint John.
Speaker 4: And we're back with Bozima Saint John.
Speaker 1: Well, I want to talk about the last twenty five years before Housewives, Forbes named you the number one most influential CMO number one.
Speaker 4: Yes, yes, number.
Speaker 1: One, number one baby crown holder number Oh no. I think about how much has changed since you launched your career. I think about the fact that many of us never planned to be marketers, but now, thanks to social media, it feels like we're all mini marketers in our own right. So I'm coming to you, coming to the expert here. What is your trademark marketing philosophy? Give us the trade secrets? Ooh, the trade secrets.
Speaker 3: Well, here's the thing is that even when I started my career, the delineation between like what a marketer did and didn't do was very very clear, very stark. Marketers were the mathematicians. They're the ones who are dealing with the data. They are cutting and slicing consumer behavior and then saying, oh, they like green, so put the product in green. Or they like to get something to drink at noon between noon and two, so our messages are going to go between noon and two. When I started, you had to be an expert at that in order to be successful as a marketer. What I really liked was pop culture, the kind of like put your finger to the sky and feel the wind and be like, oh, people are moving that way. Okay, nobody likes drink anymore, all right?
Speaker 2: Why you know?
Speaker 3: Like answering the larger cultural question, which then would allow me to play the messaging in the right stream of consciousness for you to believe that you like the same thing I like, or you like the thing I'm telling you like. I feel like the success I've seen has only been because I was ahead of the curve.
Speaker 2: Is it?
Speaker 5: Like?
Speaker 3: I believed that culture should drive the message before a lot of people believe that as markers.
Speaker 1: I feel like black women are uniquely positioned to approach marketing in the way that you're talking about, because black women are the forebears of culture, like we have defined culture for decades.
Speaker 3: Yes, And also because we have to pay attention to what is happening. I think there's like this beautiful diagram for us right where it's just like, as women, we often have to pay attention to everything that's going on around us in order to stay safe, you know, and I mean save from a physical standpoint, from an emotional standpoint, all the things, right, we're paying attention When people say that we have intuition better than men. It is true biological. So we have that. Then you add women of color who lord. Then you have black women at the center, who to some degree are the most challenged. And I don't mean that they have challenges, I mean culture challenges them. So they are always battling to find the right word, to find the right place, to find the right thing to do, the right way to be, and so they are constantly creating messages so that the world treats them a certain woman. So imagine if the boardrooms were fair places where more women of color, more black women could have leadership, I think we'd have a very different world.
Speaker 5: From everything I've heard you say publicly, it seems like you've really efforted that at every place you've been too. And yes, not without challenge, girl, Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 3: Mostly with a lot of challenge, because I mean, look, I know that there are all these cash phrases. People always just like, oh, be unapologetic, and I roll my eyes because I'm like, no, if you were really unapologetic, you really would walk in and say the thing that's on your mind and say it with your chest without being afraid that somebody's gonna punish you. Because that's what's gonna happens. You're gonna get punished for the thing that you said that goes against the grain in the room. And you better have some metal inside of there that's not gonna let your voice shake and not let you quiver. Because, let me tell you, baby, I've been in plenty of rooms where the people you think are championing you are sitting there quiet and they come outside and they start yapping their mouths. But I'm like, the real change happens when you leave a place and your fingerprints are still on there.
Speaker 5: Right, that unapologetic attitude is that from your mom?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 3: Yes, it's from my mom for sure, from both my parents, honestly, but also from myself. I give them credit. I give myself credit ye for being who I am.
Speaker 5: So you're an expert in sales. And no matter what the product is you're selling or the person is that you're selling, what you're really selling is a story. And not everybody knows this unless they've read your book. But you started your career with Spike Lee. You worked at an advertising agency.
Speaker 2: Yes, that's right. A brilliant storyteller.
Speaker 5: One of the most brilliant of all time, and also unapologetic in a lot of ways.
Speaker 2: That part he says the thing yes with his whole chest.
Speaker 5: I'm curious what you learned about storytelling and selling a story from him.
Speaker 3: You know what honesty's really simple is tell the truth and tell your truth. I think it's very difficult to sell a story that doesn't belong to you, because what happens is that you end up guessing about how the person would feel or what they would do in said situations. I can't tell you how many times in leadership positions, I looked around at my team and it's just like, Ooh, we don't have enough of this type of person. And I'm just talking about a raise and ethnicity. I'm talking about socio phonomic I'm talking about diverse experiences.
Speaker 2: I'm talking about sexuality. I'm talking about all the things.
Speaker 3: And this is why I'm a champion of diversity and inclusion, not because I'm a DEI executive at all. I didn't go to school for that, none of that. I'm a pragmatist, you know what I mean. I'm practical. I'm like, Okay, we need to tell a story to our consumer. I have the experience of being a black woman, immigrant in United Stations America who grew up in college France, Colorado. I happen to be tall, I'm athletic, and I'm cute. You know, it's a very specific experience, and so I don't expect to be able to tell the story of everyone, right, And so one of two things needs to happen.
Speaker 2: One.
Speaker 3: I think it's very important for leaders to be empathetic. And I'm not saying sympathetic pathetic that you're able to put yourself into shoes that are not yours fully and holy, without holding back and without judgment. And then you do need to surround yourself with people who have different experiences from you and listen to them. You know, they need to actually contribute to the conversation, so not everybody can be like you. It's like, I can't tell you how many times I've stepped into leadership roles and had to have that conversation with my team to say, Okay, I know I wore sequence on Tuesday. Okay, but that doesn't mean you have to in order for me to hear you, to see you. Yo, you you can wear black all day long if you want to. You can wear your hair pulled back in a. butN okay. Just because I have these tendrils coming down to the middle of my back does not mean you have to do the same thing, you know, But I feel like as leaders, you have to do that in order to cultivate a culture where people are allowed to say the things, to have an opinion, and the work will be better, the environment will be better, and you will be better.
Speaker 1: Bosma, you wrote a book called The Urgent Life, and you speak about living life urgently in your workshops. Yes, I want that. I think we all want that. I think everyone listening wants that. What is one thing that we can all do this week to embody urgency in our own lives?
Speaker 3: Yes, oh, thank you since for this question. I said this a little bit before, but I want to just nail it for you for everybody listening, which is that I cannot emphasize enough how much your intuition impacts the urgency in your life, meaning that you have to pay attention to what your spirit is telling you all of the time. The way that you do that is by listening to yourself. Now, I know that that's a big type of word life, Oh, listen to your intuition, but it is much much harder to execute. It gets to be disciplined in it, and so yes, it means that from the small things, you have to listen to yourself. That's the only way it impacts the big things like your brain and your body. In your spirit doesn't know the difference between when you ask somebody their opinion about what you should eat for lunch and when you ask somebody their opinion about what kind of career move you should make. Your spirit doesn't know the difference, and so your intuition is going to get quieter and quiet on quieter the more that you ask external inputs on what is a very personal decision. And so what I am imploring of you is to be disciplined about your intuition.
Speaker 2: Treats your intuition.
Speaker 3: She's your best friend, the one who's going to never see you wrong, who has your best interests at heart, and who's always going to take care of you.
Speaker 2: The more you do that, the more successful you will be.
Speaker 1: I've actually started to do something like this because I totally agree with you. I think we often neglect and ignore our own desires as women in society. I have started just vocalizing what I want and the phrase I want is so powerful. So in my own head, I'll just be like, I'm feeling something. You know, I'm feeling an emotion come up? What does that mean? Does that mean?
Speaker 2: Okay?
Speaker 1: That means I want community right now. I don't want to be alone, so I'm gonna go find my friends. Maybe I just want to zone out and doom scroll. I want a doom scroll. There's power in actually vocalizing it. Yes, that's correct, there is power in vocalizing it. I have to warn you that sometimes you're not gonna get the thing that you want, but only because there's something greater coming for you, you know, and you actually have to believe that and be disciplined in that as well, which is like, hey, look, I want this thing that I didn't get it. Okay, I could be sad and upset about it, but with the belief system that something that I did not know that was meant for me, that is better for me, is actually coming. And if you believe that, then you will fall into the right track. For this intuition that I believe is just your destiny waiting to be revealed to you.
Speaker 5: It's the idea of this or something better.
Speaker 3: Always, yes, exactly, always, always and that's also why I have such a positive outlook on life, because look, I've suffered enough grief in my life to I don't think anybody would be surprised if I was like, Hey, look, I'm gonna just crawl into a cave right now and never come back out. I don't think anybody people would be like, yep, understood, that's no problem. But I have a pausitive out look on life because really, I do believe that there is greater in the world, and there's greater in my experience as a human that even though terrible things happen to me and have happened to me, that I am able to get to the next place because I recognize that this experience is all laddering up to something really enormously wonderful for me. Maybe it's that I'm an optimist, but I don't think that our experiences, grief or otherwise, should keep us from being optimistic about life.
Speaker 5: Okay, Bose, we have to talk about your new hair care and wigline, eve By Bows.
Speaker 2: Yes.
Speaker 3: I started the company because it's like, why why do we not have good wigs, especially as black women and women of color, Because eighty percent of the consumer base is us, and we just have been suffering this whole time, being offered products that aren't with us in mind. And not only that, it's insulting. You go to shop for these things online and you're placed with these images that are like these ugly ass a mannequins, and then you get the product and it's a terrible plastic bag. It's like the disrespect of it all, Just like, I'm spending so much money. Why why am I not in the center of the conversation, and why am I being treated like this?
Speaker 2: You know?
Speaker 3: And so when I thought about what to do next, I don't want a company that would serve all my needs with me in the center of it, think about the things I want. And so I got up and went to Asia, went to go discover, Wow, why it is that we're not serviced? And I didn't get a good answer, Like the answer was so simple that I was like, oh, shoot, you know what, I think. I'm gonna start my own company. I don't want I don't want a white label. I don't want to put my name on somebody else's brand. I'm gonna start my own. So I built a factory.
Speaker 5: You built a factory.
Speaker 3: I built a factory in Ghana, that's correct, So I source the raw goods from Asia, so every product has created in Ghana. Then the product is processed with with wet goods. Black hair care that I also made. That I also formulated with the partner of this amazing black woman chemist.
Speaker 2: She's worked for all of the big companies.
Speaker 3: And it is shipped to Dallas, which is where my fulfillment company is, and then you go online.
Speaker 2: And you purchase and then it ships all around the world.
Speaker 3: So the hair comes to you in a bonnet, you take it out of the bonnet, you put the bot on your head.
Speaker 2: And go to bed.
Speaker 3: The fabric I made myself partnered with a textile company, the oldest textile company in Ghana. The pattern is luxury, so you know, it's like you know when you see the repeated pattern on Gucci or Louis or any of these other companies. So I took the E off of my logo. You know, we made the pattern and it actually makes a dincer symbol and the dinner symbols are old symbols and Ghana they represent tenements of like culture and so the one that is created out of my pattern is meaning mother Earth, like basically like the weight of the earth.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So I've made bonds with the fabric I made and shipping it everywhere.
Speaker 1: You like to really just start small, don't you? Huh? Just just bite sized.
Speaker 2: I just feel like why not? You know, if you're gonna do it, do it big. You know, are saying, do it big.
Speaker 5: What's been the biggest gift of this so far? Because when you see someone where or use your product, it's just magical.
Speaker 2: Oh, it's so wonderful.
Speaker 3: I think the biggest gift is just to know that, like you don't have to guess about the intention in which the product that you have purchased was made.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 3: I think sometimes you purchase something and you don't know, you know, if it's good for you, You don't know if they lie in to you, You don't know anything. I'm like, I made this, these two hands made the product that you have. The love in my heart was poured into this every step of the way. When I tell you that, like the elastic that was used inside the bonus, I tested it on my own head before I ever made it. The dozens of times that I went to Asia and talked to people and felt hair and talk to about why the laces like this? Why can't it be brown? The amount of times I use the wet good of products, the hair care and shampooed and watched the condition had enough slip on it?
Speaker 2: Would it last? Would it tangle?
Speaker 5: Girl?
Speaker 3: I put love in this, and so I feel like when I see somebody rocking one of my products, I'm like, that's just a hug from me.
Speaker 2: That's just me telling you I love you.
Speaker 4: Foes, You're the best.
Speaker 3: Thank you so much, God, thank you, thank you, thank you have a great one.
Speaker 5: Thank you so much.
Speaker 1: Bozma Saint John is a marketing executive, entrepreneur and the author of the memoir The Urgent Life. You can watch her now on the new season of the Real Housewives of Beverly Hills Tuesdays on Bravo and the following day on Peacock.
Speaker 5: We have to take another short break, but we'll be back in just a minute.
Speaker 1: Don't go anywhere, and we're back, Okay, Danielle. We are mere weeks away from the holidays. Have you nailed down your holiday plans yet? For like, let's say, New Year's what are you doing? Oh?
Speaker 5: I don't know. New Year stresses me out some own it feels like so much pressure. How about you? Are you ready for your trip back east? And more importantly, are you ready to officially host on Airbnb and have another family in your house for a week?
Speaker 4: Yes?
Speaker 1: On both accounts. Besties. You know this has been a long time coming. We've talked about it on the show before. Yes, I am actually hosting guests at my home through Airbnb. But you know, I lived in New York for several years and it is like a second home for me. So we try to go back to the East Coast as often as possible, especially when it feels all magical this time of year. So my family and I are headed to the city and then driving upstate for some Christmas ey things, And while we're away, we are going to be hosting our space on Airbnb. And it's kind of perfect because this time of year, you know, it's so expensive to travel, and the cash ro making is actually going to help cover the cost of our trip.
Speaker 5: Wow.
Speaker 1: Also, La is pretty magical this time of year, right, Danielle, Hmm, I've actually never been in LA for the holidays. I think I'm going to be here for the first time this year. Well, there's so much hype surrounding the snow and the Northeast and the Midwest around the holidays, and it is beautiful, don't get me wrong. But a nice, warm, breezy, seventy two degree La Christmas is also pretty great too.
Speaker 5: I just love a slower pace wherever you are spending your holidays. I just hope you have a slower pace. But you are such an La girly. So what are your go to rex for people traveling to LA for the first time.
Speaker 1: Well, it's funny you asked, because I actually just wrote out a bunch of recommendations in this guest guide that I'm leaving for the families who are going to be staying at our place.
Speaker 4: I would say a few of the highlights are.
Speaker 1: Griffith Park, It's kind of like our central park here in southern California. Wine Country in Santa Barbara is spectacular, Joshua Tree for the desert vibes. We've got theme parks, Disneyland, six Flags, Universal Studios, and of course Malibu.
Speaker 4: What would you add to the list.
Speaker 5: Ooh, Malibu's my absolute favorite. I love the Malibu Country mart I usually spend my birthday there. I get breakfast there in the morning. Okay, adding maybe a hike on Runyon Canyon if you want to see all the Instagram girlies take photos of themselves hiking, I would add I'm a restaurant girl, so I would add a few West Hollywood maybe like LA hotspots like Craigs, you'll definitely have a celeb siting.
Speaker 1: I did include some restaurants in there, so I should add Craigs. I love what you're doing with this guest guide. It's so nice of you. What else are you doing to prepare? Well, we have a fire pit outside, so we're planning to leave a cute little s'mores kit for the guests to use. And then I've been incorporating some other little touches that I've seen in other airbnbs that I've loved. So we're putting coffee cups, mugs, and a French press in the bedroom so you can have coffee in bed. We're gonna have the pool toys set out all the heater instructions so you can take a dip in the winter.
Speaker 5: Well, I feel like you've been hyping up your Airbnb hosting moment for months and it is finally here. I'm very excited for you.
Speaker 1: You know what's funny, A lot of people ask me, are you really doing it? Are you really hosting your home on Airbnb? And I'm like, yes, I'm actually doing it. The whole process has actually been less intimidating than I thought. I mean, it's been super user friendly. Airbnb has a new feature called co hosting, So I was able to connect with a local Airbnb host who's way more experience with this than I am, and she helped me get set up with my listing. And they also have this great support team that's super responsive. They sent out a photographer, got the photos all done, They have checklists for hosts to help you get ready, and then also the platform just makes it really easy to communicate with your guests. I've been using the app on my phone and it's way easier and straightforward.
Speaker 5: Well, I cannot wait to hear about your experience after all of this, and it's making me think about a girl's trip Airbnb in Chicago for Saint Patrick's Day.
Speaker 1: What do you think I have never been to Chicago during Saint Patrick's Day?
Speaker 4: Is it a site to see?
Speaker 1: I'm down the river is green? Simone, Oh, I got to see this. Your home might be worth more than you think. Find out how much at airbnb dot com slash host.
Speaker 5: That's it for today's show. Tomorrow, we're popping off with New York Times best selling author, comedian, and screenwriter Danny Pellegrino.
Speaker 1: Join the conversation using hashtag the bright Side and connect with us on social media at Hello Sunshine on Instagram and at the bright Side Pod on TikTok oh, and feel free to tag us at Simone Boyce and at Danielle Robe.
Speaker 5: Listen and follow The bright Side on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you get your podcasts.
Speaker 1: See you tomorrow, folks, Keep looking on the bright side.