Speaker 1: Qost Loft Supreme is a production of iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: Ladies and Gentlemen. Right now, Lisa Robinson is showing us. We're on zoom right now.
Speaker 3: She showed me her illustrious record collection, and I'm celebating right now.
Speaker 4: Okay, what's behind me is a portion, not all of them, of my five thousand hours of interviews, all the original cassettes, plus manic backups. Richard did my husband before he died, on CD because he didn't believe in the cloud, the internet or the computers, so he made backups on two or three CDs of every single cassette. Then I had to hire an IT guy after Richard died, and he copied it onto two different computers, three external hard drives, and three backups of the external hard drugs and secure undisclosed locations. So what's behind me? All the original interviews were some of them.
Speaker 3: I have to say that I've known you about twenty years, and often I have I haven't stayed up at night, but I've definitely wondered, are you properly going to archive your your collection, your collection of notes in He told me that you have like original hotel notes in stationary.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I have an original questionnaire Michael Jackson toil that when he was eleven that I kept in a safety deposit box for years where.
Speaker 2: He was Is this the infamous one where he called himself a nigger?
Speaker 4: He wrote? The question was what's your nickname? And he said the nose and then he wrote ni g one word, one g er but he crossed that out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's not I've heard about this or I have Where did you hear about it?
Speaker 4: Other than me? Because I have nobody else.
Speaker 2: I know you, so uh okay.
Speaker 4: Letters, yeah, letters from Bowie and John Lennon and everybody on the planet. And four storage spaces that I spend fifty thousand dollars a year in addition to this museum I'm living in, and an office across the street that also houses a lot of shit. And in terms of really properly appraising or archiving it, I've been too busy trying to earn a living for all these years. I just haven't had the time. So the audio archives are pretty well documented now, they're on a bunch of databases. The photos I have trunks and trunks and trunks of original photos from Bob Grew and Lee Childers, Annie Liebovitz, Peter Hughes or Maplethorpe. I mean so much stuff that I never hung any of it up. It's in storage, It's in my house and boxes and closets. I actually have something, maybe you would want it. I was in Nashville and I was in a thrift store and there was one of those huge posters of a black barbershop, you know, the drawings with the fabulous kind of old like some girls kind.
Speaker 2: Of wigs it.
Speaker 4: I bought it and I shipped it back to New York. And this was in two thousand and.
Speaker 2: Four, maybe okay, And.
Speaker 4: I said to friend, what should I do with this? I was going to either give it to Tony Morrison or that an artisan, because they collect that kind of stuff. And she said, well, I wouldn't display it. It's really not correct for you to display it. So it's hiding somewhere in a closet. It's awesome, though, it is so great anyway.
Speaker 2: Okay, I have to properly introduce you, ladies and gentlemen.
Speaker 3: This is quest lof Supreme. I knew the second that her mic was on the stories would come. And of course the stories came even before I did the proper introduction, I will say that our guest, Damn Near is a pioneer or invented rock and roll journalism.
Speaker 2: There was a time in your life where.
Speaker 3: Making a living writing about the lives of rock stars.
Speaker 2: Was a questionable thing. One couldn't make a living off of it. So I will say that our.
Speaker 3: Guest today is a pioneer in terms of one that actually made their full time career kind of journaling.
Speaker 2: The lives of others.
Speaker 3: Name them New Music, Express, Cream Magazine, the New York Post, even all the way down to Vanity Fair, if you will. She's probably the trusted pla one in the rooms. He's literally seen everyone and everything. And these types of venterviews are my favorite because oftentimes I say that you'll learn more.
Speaker 2: About a subject based on the extra eyes.
Speaker 3: In the room, not necessarily the subject themselves.
Speaker 2: So name them from Jagger to Richards to Paige and Plant to Bowie, Read Lennon, Ono, Jackson, Bono. I forgot what Bono's I forgot what Bono's last name is.
Speaker 3: It's a that's right, Houston.
Speaker 2: Paul Houston. That's right. It's like an uncle of my I don't recognize any of those names. Did you ever meet anybody famous?
Speaker 3: I will say that I highly recommend as far as memoirs are concerned, both both of her books, uh No. One never asked me about the girls and There Goes Gravity. Those are probably two my favorite memoirs.
Speaker 2: I don't know like I. Journalists to me are like just as equal rock stars as the actual rock stars himself. So please welcome two quest left Supreme Lisa Robinson. Okay, what were you saying, Steve? No no, I made my joke. Now you made.
Speaker 4: Anyone famous?
Speaker 2: Just for me? All out out out the gate, Lisa. For our guests that might not be familiar with your your pedigree and your history, could you please give me three random historical I was there moments that that come come to mind? You know this gives you a.
Speaker 4: Chance Led Zeppelin when it to a manager pulled out a gun.
Speaker 2: Oh, I was on the other end of the Peter Grant he pulled out a gun.
Speaker 4: It was Richard Cole. Anyway, I was.
Speaker 2: Well, wait, wait, you can't just glide by that.
Speaker 4: You just asked the three random You want me to tell you the whole story?
Speaker 2: We'd be on for that's what we know.
Speaker 4: No hold on a second. Let me just say something. Yes, I'm doing a serious radio show by the way, Serious XM starting tomorrow night from seven to eight pm. And it's called Call Me with Lisa Robinson. Because, as you know, I'm still in an old BlackBerry. I only know how to text on it.
Speaker 2: Yes, and I.
Speaker 4: Like people to actually call me at any rate. Okay, so that's one.
Speaker 2: The Texas instruments in business. That's that much, I'll.
Speaker 4: Say the second, I am worldwide West. Who's with the Knicks now? My favorite team? Are the only people I know who still use a BlackBerry? Anyway, back to the three random incidents, let me think I can't think of just three out of thousands. But okay, the LED's up room of the gun, Michael Jackson calling me on the phone crying that he did not want to tour with his brothers in nineteen eighty on that victory tour, I eighty four CE. You're the scholar. I don't remember all the dates, okay, So oh man, I don't want to talk about the time Mick Jagger had to borrow my underpants because he lost his jockstrap. But I guess backwards, right, that's been well documented. Here's the point, I just want to say two things. You said all the people that I had interviewed, and or you started to talk about Bowie, Lou Reed, the stone Zeppelin, Michael Jackson, et cetera. You mentioned one woman, Yoko Ono. The reason I wrote nobody ever asked me about the girls is because I had interviewed Tina Turner, Joni Mitchell, Mary j Blige, Linda Ronstadt, I mean, everybody after Jennie Stoplin. Thank god it was someone before my time. And the point is I always had to answer questions like what's Eminem really like? What's cunning like? I mean, you know you probably get the same thing, or what was John Lennon really like? Or what was David Bowie really like? And I finally got to the point after having written There Goes Gravity, which was mostly all about guys except for one chapter on Lady Garda, I thought it's about time I started dealing with the women. So that was one thing I just wanted to clarify. And the other thing is when you said that I was a pioneer at a time when no one was making a living writing about rock and roll musicians or a popular culture. We still don't make a living and do it matter? So I just like to clarify that, for the record, we were having too much fun. Nobody was talking about money. Nobody was thinking about that. In the seventies, I would make like forty dollars a week from a syndicated column or editing Hip Parado with my husband, or going on tour with Zeppelin, and the Stones are hanging out and CBGB's every night, and I thought this was great. I mean, we were in a rent control department. I'm still in a rent stabilized apartment, same one. We moved into a nineteen seventy six and it's like a museum. I never decorated it. It's just full of books and records and interviews and some memorabilia that I don't trust to leave in Manhattan mini storage. But it just was different time. It was like, also, Amir, you know you grew up in this business. I mean, I even think I saw as a kid Lee Andrews and the Hearts. I don't know, maybe at the Brooklyn Fox or one of those places I snuck out of my house as a teenager to go see Thelonious Monk of the five Spot or on Coltrane or Anito O'Day and Stan Getz at the Village Vanguard, but also to go to those early rock and roll shows at the Brooklyn Fox Theater. I don't remember going to the Apollo, but I do remember going to the Apollo much later when I was teaching school in Harlem in the sixties. But I grew up with all this music. I used to listen to it under the covers with the transistor radio, you know that old cliche, And it just made me feel like there was a great, sexy, interesting world out there, and I was a fan. And I grew up in a left wing household that played Led Belly and Woody Gothrie. And I knew about Mama Mae Thornton and sister I was Ota Thorpe, and you know a lot of stuff that no other journalists. When I was starting out, knew about extept From my husband, who was on WAWFM when it was nineteen sixty nine free form music. And I heard his voice in the middle of the night. He was on the graveyard shift, and I thought, A he had a very sexy voice, and B he played unbelievable music. And he got fired five times. The first time was they're playing music what they called unfamiliar music, which was can Tina Turner, Tina Turner and Vanetta Field's doing a battle on something got a hold on me. I'll never forget it. Pp Arnold doing first cut is the deepest Curtis Mayfield and the impressions because he also worked at Buddha. So so yeah. So Richard got fired for playing unfamiliar music, which was black music. Then they hired him back again because he was like the house tippy, and he got fired for playing Jimmy Hendrickson's star spangled banner because they told him it was unpatriotic. Then they hired him again, and I think he played the stooges and the velvets, but like really, you know, some of the sicker stuff like I want to be your dog, or Heroin or white light, white heat, or just kind of noise stuff. They fired him again, and I think the last time they hired him he just went on the air, flush the toilet and walked off. And so this was my introduction to the music business. I went to work for him doing his smiling. Five months later we got married. He turned one of his columns over to me in England. And that's kind of how it started. He opened a door and I barged through.
Speaker 2: What I'll say is based on.
Speaker 3: You know, I've collected a lot of old periodicals and all those things, so I've seen your work, you know. I'll say that the difference between your brand of documenting a moment was way different than say, you know, the Beatles with land in America in the sixties and have a press conference like at the airport or at the hotel, people have random questions. It's like audio CrowdWork whatever. But your brand work, how did you know that? I mean, it's somewhere between like page you know, I know that you've done in depth Q and A interviews as well, but you know, you doing quick takes like you know, Bowie hung out at Maxis Kansas City and he wore a leopard T shirt. Like people weren't describing like what people were wearing or any of those things.
Speaker 2: Like you you were like the precursor at like page six. So how did you even know?
Speaker 4: I don't know about page six, but maybe MTV and fashion and style.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the idea of it right, Well.
Speaker 4: First of all, thank god, the Beatles were before my time. Something else before my time, but I never asked a question at a press conference because I always ask more interesting questions and I didn't want anybody else getting the answers all the quo Kanye. Kanye had a listening party once for which is the album is a late Graduation that John Bryan produced with WE Major and gold Digger on it.
Speaker 2: The second one.
Speaker 4: Anyway, you had a listening party for that with a whole bunch of press in the room, and Jay was there, and I'm friendly with John Brian and I knew he produced the record, and I had met Conye several times through John, and when they played WE Major, I went ballistic because to his day, I still think it's the best thing he's ever done. But it was like a Phil Specter symphony, and I just went crazy. So I had to ask a question, and I raised my hand and Jay went on, he has a question. He says a question, and I said, how many tracks are on WE Major? And they had no idea, They didn't know, they didn't know the answer, and so they started calling me the stumper. For a long time. Actually, Jay started calling me. He kept calling me Stumper, and I went home and called John Brian, who told me that he got it from some kidne Agar Archer made a loop of it. At any rate, what I did as a journalist from the jump was I was interested in their lives, their music. I mean, when I met Jimmy Page, I would talk to him about Muddy Waters and Holm Wolf and Elmore James and Willie Dixon, who they ripped off allegedly, although I think they had to pay. Well. I get very nervous about that. So you know, it's like a deesu is a maryle thing allegedly allegedly allegedly anyway, So so and I. But I'd also talked to Robert Plant about Fairport Convention and Kaleidoscope and Incredible String Band and Jenny Mitchell because I grew up the same loving the same music they did, and I I didn't love a lot of the folks stuff so much then I grew to I did like the Incredible String Band, but on Kaleidoscope. But I would talk to them about their musical taste. I would write about their clothes. I mean, I'll never forget when I was in New Orleans with those guys the first time I ever interviewed them lengthily. Robert was wearing a red Nilon speedo bikini parading around the pool. Parading is the only word I could use for it. And Jimmy Page was wearing a maroon velvet jacket in eighty three degree weather, and I remember writing that it was sweltering at eighty three degree weather, so some of the climate change that was nineteen seventy three. Anyway, I just started talking to them about music. I started talking about their clothes. And this was a time that people don't know they were written about as a heavy, cheesy, heavy metal band. Every male journalist, every one of my so called colleagues who threatened to quit Cream magazine when I started to do a column called Elaganza, which was named after a black pimp catalog, and it was all about clothes, and all these guys threatened to leave the magazine because they said it was decadent. I shouldn't be writing about clothes. This was the alternative culture. This was the revolution. I mean, this is in Detroit, by the way, where the White Panthers and John Sinclair were sitting around a table plotting revolution while the women were in the kitchen cooking. So I would just love to make that point about the MC five even though they were a great band. However, I would always talk to these guys just on a level of mutual musician fandom and asked them about their lives. I didn't review their records, I didn't review their concerts. I didn't do any boring analysis shit about their lyrics. And I just think they were relieved. I mean again, this was at a time when John Mendelssohn wrote in Rolling Stone about the lemon song that was on a Zeppelin I think the first album, maybe the second, and he said Robert Plant sings notes only a dog come here. And if I remember that from nineteen seventy three, you can be certain that Robert Plant remembers it. And Jimmy would bitch about the reviews all the time, and I would just say, I don't give a shit about reviews. You don't understand. Your music is majestic. You combine the hard knocking of folk music and Eastern stuff and all the scort and years from now your music will be remembered, and those magazines and newspapers will wrap fish. And sure enough, now Red Zepplin is considered one of the greatest. I means eggs All on Main Street was panned. It was my favorite Rolling Stones record panned when it first came out. So I think part of the reason that I have the access to these bands was a I was a woman, but I was not sleeping with them, and I was not taking drugs with them. I was newly married. Richard was much cuter than any of them were anyway, and smarter. And when I first met Mick Jagger, the first thing I said to him was those of the tackiest shoes I've ever seen, because he was wearing some sort of sequin Papagallo encrusted shoes. It was backstage at an Ever Captain concert, and you know that was refreshing to them. People would meet McJagger and they'd be like intimidated. I was from New York. I wasn't intimidated.
Speaker 3: Well, okay, so what I want to know is, obviously you're from even though you're of the time, you were clearly thinking future generation. Case in point, like prints opening for the Stones in La even though he himself is a baby boomer, his music and his presentations for Generation Next, it's for what's next. So obviously you know you you were for thinking who were the other women in that era?
Speaker 2: That was documenting. I know that.
Speaker 3: You know, you spoke of a time where you and and fran Leewoods came up together on that the Stones tour, But like, were there you.
Speaker 4: Mean the photographer not friend? Was not?
Speaker 2: Not?
Speaker 3: No, I said, I said, friend, forgive me Annie boy, I know corrected an.
Speaker 4: Annie had already been a rolling Stone. So Annie had already established her reputation as a photographer when she was a rolling Stone. We started working together on the nineteen seventy five Stones tour.
Speaker 2: Before cocks Sucker Blues or that was during.
Speaker 4: That tour where or was that the big fallas coming up from the Butterfly stage. Yeah. And also we kept thinking every city we went to that they were going to get arrested for singing starfucker. Imagine. I'm trying to remember other things that, Oh god, there's so much that went on on that tour. I remember mixing to me at the time that he couldn't get a pill. This is a little gross, but he said, you can't get a pill for diarrhea, but you can walk into any store and buy a gun. And this was in nineteen seventy five, and I had no idea that you could walk into a store in the South and buy a gun. I'm from New York City. I'm from the Upper West Side of Manhattan. I'd never seen a gun until I saw it on that plane with Zeppelin. But it was I mean, we weren't pour underground. Atlanta had a Less Dramatics store where they sold less dramatics memorabilia. I mean, it just was such a different time. It was like, for those who don't know, Lester Matos was the racist governor, governor or Georgia or something, or mayor of Atlanta or some political person very much like Lindsey Graham or somebody today, only worse, I mean, more, well more whatever. I'm not going to say it, that would be an allegedly defamator.
Speaker 2: We found anything out else about.
Speaker 4: No, I know, I know, but I'm not going to say it. Anyway.
Speaker 2: The bottom line is I yeah, he was the governor.
Speaker 4: Uh yeah. So I was sort of a conduit between a lot of these guys, like Richard was at RCAA records and convinced them to sign David Bowie, Lou Reid and the Kinks. So I introduced David Bowie when he came to America to Lou Reed and to Iggy Pop, both of whom he was very inspired by. Let's put it that way, I am, I came to my house. They hung out and reduced to come to my house because Richard produced his first album, although it really he did not do well because Lou was a mess at the time and it was a very checkered situation. But then Low and Richard didn't talk for years, but then Luke called him back and asked him to co produce Street Castle with him, which is a great record. And so because of our friendship with Lou, or my friendship with Patti Smith, or my going on the Stones tour, or John Lennon and Yoko letting me in their house from nineteen seventy five to eighty to do interviews, Bowie would say to me, what's Mick Jagger doing? And Nick Jagger would say to me, don't tell that idea to Bowie because he'll steal it. Or John Lennon would say to me, I just turned stairway to Heaven. Tell Robert Plant it's great. And then I would tell that to Robert Plant and he'd say he only heard it now. I mean, it was like I was friends with Brian Ferry, when he was living with Jerry Hall and she was dating and I put quotes around that Mick Jagger, and I never said a word about it. Because here's the other thing. I was like a fly on the wall. I would not take note in front of people. If we were doing a real interview, i'd have my tape recorders on. You've seen them, the analog tape recorders. Yes, machine, I have three of them right behind.
Speaker 2: Have I ever producted an interview like digitally? Or they all.
Speaker 4: Hold on, this is really actually, We'll do this tangent for a second. Then I'll get back to the why these guys and these women trusted me. When I first interviewed John Mann and I went with one analog tape recorder sony cassette, and the tape fucked up. So he let me go back the next day and do it again. So from that day on in nineteen seventy whenever it was, when did they first move to New York, I don't know. It was around seventy two, seventy three. Yeah, From that day on, I always took three tape recorders, and one of them I would have an external mic, two of them, not inevitably one of the three would screw up, but at least I had two, so I had a backup. Right when I first interviewed Beyonce in two thousand and four or five, when was the last Destiny show, I think it was two thousand and five, when she was on Cover Fair. Yeah, So she looked at my setup and she just, very politely, because she's very charming, said did you ever think of moving up to digital? And I wasn't even embarrassed. I just thought, oh, digital, I don't know, probably now. And then I went home and I said, Richard, maybe I should get a digital tape recorder because people are making fun of me, and so a lot of digital tape. He got a digital tape recorder. He made a diagram for me that was literally like in crayons, as if it were for a five year old, with like step one, step two, do this, do that, press play color coded on the god damn thing. And when I first interviewed Lady Gaga and Ten at the Beverly Hills Hotel, I very proudly brought out the digital tape recorder along with my free analog cassette and guess which one didn't work?
Speaker 2: The digital digital?
Speaker 4: You know, somebody says, sit with what you know. I've stuck with what I know. But back to being a fly on the wall with these guys and these women and whoever I interviewed, and much later on, I always respected people's private lives. You have to remember there were no there was no cell phones, no Internet, no Instagram, no everybody with a telephone with a picture with a camera.
Speaker 5: Right.
Speaker 4: So these guys, especially the Zeppelin, who had wives and children back in England, had us girlfriends, let's put it that way. These were groupees, and some of them were really their girlfriends. Yes, And I thought, I'm not going to write about this. They've got wives and kids back in England and it's really none of my fucking business, and it's nobody else's business either. And I think in that way I was trusted, not because I was writing like puff pieces about them or anything. I just was respectful and not invasive. To the point I may add where I was so respectful and not invasive that I toured a lot with Elton John. Of course I knew he was gay. He was showing me his handbag collection, for God's sakes, and I mean we were friends, but he wasn't out, and I was not about to out him, whereas somebody else might have done that, but then they never would have seen him again.
Speaker 2: So then during his prime that he was out or it was just like no, no, this.
Speaker 4: Was way before and before he even married that woman Renato, who was his engineer. This was in the early seventies, and I'd be on the plane with him and we'd be screaming and having found instrig and I, you know, we just talked very comfortably with each other. I mean, I can't explain it. I think in one way this is going to sound braggy, but it's not that I think I was more sophisticated than a lot of the rock journalists. I was from New York. None of them had gone to see Pilonius Monk at the Vice, but I can assure you not at the age I anyway. And I just had a different kind of confidence and I wasn't cowed by any of this, and I just respected people's private lives. And if somebody told me something is off the record, it was off the record to this day.
Speaker 3: And can I ask you something, Yeah, you don't have to tell a story. You don't have to tell a name, But I'm just curious how many secrets will go to your grave that you like will never admit to the world. Well, I know in general you won't admit it because you just said, well.
Speaker 4: Here's the thing. Now, I'll tell you here's the thing.
Speaker 2: How many? How many secrets? The finish? We know that Stevie Wonder is not blind? Like how many secrets?
Speaker 4: Although when I did talk to Stevie Wonder and we were in the studio and I told him I had an analog cassette recorders.
Speaker 3: He said, now I was still a good like he knew what side one inside two was at the cassette Nobody.
Speaker 4: Took me into his kitchen, opened the cabinet, pulled out from the top shelf a DT recorder and gave it to me. I still have it in the packaging in one of my storage spaces because Stevie Wonder gave it to me.
Speaker 2: I'm not going to muse it.
Speaker 4: And then I ran into him and mister Charles last year and I went up to him and I said, I'm Lisa Robinson from Vanity Fair. Do you remember when Annie and I came to photography and you gave me that machine? He went, yeah, that DT machine. So you know, I was watching Hustlers the other night, and I know there is a line in there where Jennifer Lopez says, I swear to god, Stevie Wonder came into the club. He's not blind. I mean, why would someone pretend to be blind? Come on.
Speaker 2: Marketing? How many secrets will you carry? Here?
Speaker 4: There are certain people who have passed away that now I feel like I can say certain things about Okay, I mean I won't mention all the names. But when Sign of the Times came out, I went to hear it at a musician's apartment. He had an advanced pressing and he kept looking at me to see what I thought, And of course I was blown away, I mean blown away. And he said to me about another rock star. He said to me, this is Mick talking. He the other rock star said to me, if he was white, we'd all be in trouble and out of business. Now. I don't know if that's been printed anywhere, and people know who said it to your own. I don't know that I would write that, because those two guys are still alive. Prince isn't. But I did tell him that, and I told him that at his house, and I told him several times that he was an unbelievably underrated guitar player. And he said, why don't you write that? I said, why don't you let me interview you with a tape recorder and I'll write whatever you want. You can take me taping you. I mean I did that a little bit with Kendrick. You know, sometimes in order to make somebody feel comfortable, I would say things like, listen, if you're really nervous about something and you think I'm going to misquote you, although I won't because I transcribed every single one of my interviews myself in Longhand and I never would missay. I'm the only journalist I trust. Let's put it that way. I don't like journalists. I don't trust many of them, if any. And what I went through in the early seventies with all those guys trying to blackpool me, I mean the other women that were around. Lillian Roxon, who wrote the Rock Encyclopedia, was my best friend at the time. She was a very brilliant Bohemian Australian woman and she died in nineteen seventy three. Glorias Davers, who edited sixteen magazine. She also died in nineteen eighty three. I think she edited sixteen magazine. But before sixteen Magazine she was a Norman Morel, very high fashion designer model. In the forties, she dated Lenny Bruce. She dated Jim Morrison. I'm not sure dated is the right word, but whatever, those were the only women who were my mentors. The rest of the women writing about music were critics. There was Ellen Willison New Yorker. There was Janet Maslim from the Boston Phoenix. There was Ellen Sander from Life magazine, and they reviewed things. They were critics. They didn't do interviews, so I would do interviews with the tape on. Then I would also hang out with them at after hours clubs, at parties when they rehearsed in rehearsal studios in people's bedrooms, like Earl mcgrathe used to have parties in New York, and the Stones would rehearse with Thereic Claptain and Ronnie Wood. One night in that room, I remember Annie taking pictures. I would go out to the Andy Warhol's compound Inhampton's where they were staying before the seventy five tour. I would go I took Michael Jackson to the Studio fifty four, the first time he ever went. I took the Clash to Studio fifty four. I got the Clash their record deal. I got Elvis Costello's record deal. I never made a dime from this. I was so stupid. I never thought about money. I mean, we didn't think about money. We were having fun. We were young. It was the seventies and I was getting to see all these cons so it's for free, and prior to that I had to pay to gopha concert. We were get along the albums for free.
Speaker 2: Since you were there when it was rebel music. And then it's slowly more. I guess one could say that that seventy five tour of the Stones was sorted them becoming the seeds of what we now know is the Rolling Stones more like an institution and less about, you know, the Hydrid Daughters, rock rebels that are coming to town to pillage. But when do you consider what was the year that you saw This is now a business, not just you know, rock and rolls.
Speaker 4: I saw it. I saw it right from the beginning. I saw it with led Zeppelin when I went to see them in Jacksonville in July nineteen seventy three, and they played to an eighty thousand seat stadium.
Speaker 6: I have a different question, Leicster Bangs. Yeah, can you tell our audience about Lester Bangs?
Speaker 3: I was going to say, of your contemporaries, I guess Lester has this.
Speaker 2: You know, the cooler than the our you know, you know, jaded critic. Was the legend bigger than what? Do you actually?
Speaker 4: Yes? Yes, yes, yes, the myth was greater than was drunk Leicester was okay. Richard, my husband was first working for Buddhen Records, and then he was working for our SAA records, so he had expense accounts. So even though we were living in a rent control department and we didn't have a lot of money, he had an expense account. So I would order Chinese food and we would feed and entertain these unbelievably what's the word I used in my book, I don't know. It was a thankless test, let's put it that way. A lot of these guys would come and sleep on our sofa. I felt like we were people said we have this salon. We did not have a salon. We had a homeless shelter. I mean, Dave marsh would come in from Detroit and sleep on our sofa. Lenny k lived there for almost a year on our Florida living room. You know. John Landa would come in from Boston when he was writing at the Phoenix before he discovered the future of rock and roll in his name was Bruce Springsteen. Richard Meltzer and Lester Bangs were there a lot. Richard Meltzer was the real deal. He was a better writer, he was smarter, he was crazy. Lester was drunk. And Lester was also crazy and drunk and obnoxious. Quite frankly, I mean, the myth in many of these things was greater than the reality. He has been lying so much, not in a small part by Cameron Crowe and that movie. But I only remember the drunken nights when we had to like whisper, like how we're going to get Lester out of here, you know? Or Richard Meltzer would be walking around with his shirt off in a bottle of scotch. And I don't know he's still somewhere alive writing and I haven't read him recently, but to me, he was the real thing. And Lester got all of the credit and I don't know whether he emulated Richard, but Richard was much more interesting and insightful I felt anyway.
Speaker 3: So I have my observations in hip hop journalism when I saw the shift occur, where like people who I truly respected for their opinions were writing about music as opposed to now unknown the intern from four years ago now getting their cover story, you know, just like you know, the the level of hip hop journalism has gone to shit in my opinion.
Speaker 2: But for you, when when was music or rock journalism at its at its at its best in your opinion? And when did you notice that there's a shift? You know, do you guys?
Speaker 3: And in terms of no, no, just in terms of really giving a good story oftentimes like okay, I know that if like say today Pitchfork, sometimes they'll pan in an album just to impress their contemporaries to you know, in that Lester Bangs way where you're not writing your honest opinion about something you want to do a performative.
Speaker 4: Well it might have been his honest opinion. I mean, he had very many run ins with you read I don't really Here's the thing, I never read this. I don't know I did what I did because I wanted to read what I wanted to read. I mean, Tony Morrison always said, write the book you want to read, it's like, or write the book that you want to write, or whatever. I don't know. Listen, when the Roots started playing instruments, why did you do that? Hip hop bands weren't playing instruments. You did that? Why because you wanted to hear a band that was doing hip hop play instruments or doing rap play instruments. I did what I did because nobody else was doing it, So I mean I never even thought about it. I just did it. And I really didn't read a lot of that stuff. I don't think I've ever looked at Patlarch in my life. I didn't look complex. I didn't look at I maybe looked at the Vibe and the Source and Rolling Stone a little bit, but I never really read Rolling Stone because I didn't like the person who owned it, and I didn't like the way women were treated in that office. And it is really a badge of honor as far as I'm concerned. And I never wrote for them. And I'm being really blunt and frank with you. I'll probably get a lot of haters about a lot of this stuff, But I just I didn't really read it. I read Cream Magazine a little bit. I mean I read my husband's column. He did a Rewire Yourself years before anybody was writing about technology. He wrote a book called The Video Primer. Richard said two things that stick out in my mind that is so brilliant. One was everybody kept saying in the seventies, who's the ex Beatles? Who's an ex Beatles? Rich band is going to be the next Beatles? And Richard said, the next Beatles is going to be a machine. This was in nineteen seventy one. Okay, so that's who I was married to. He also said about musicians, because one minute we were managing some musicians, which really was not a smart move. But he always said managing an act is like running backwards holding up a mirror. So you know, I just didn't read this stuff. So I can't say when I think it shifted, if it did shift what I read I read. I don't know what did I read rock journalism. I'm not really because nobody was doing what I was interested in. I was doing what I was interested in, And I'm not saying that to Sam conceited or anything, because a lot of people weren't interested in what I was running about. But I was much more interested in the human side, and I wasn't seeing that in too many places, certainly not when I started, and I'm not even sure now.
Speaker 5: I mean, I occasionally read a profile in the New York Times magazine section about somebody I'm interested in, and I'll stop halfway through because it just so long.
Speaker 4: I mean, I also feel leave somebody wanting more. You know. It's like I take it as the biggest compliment when I've done cover stories and Vanity Fair and people have said to me, oh my god, I wish it was longer. Job. That's how I feel.
Speaker 3: My final question to you is with with the life that you you lived in all of your archives and memories and whatnot, are you actively trying to seek.
Speaker 2: I feel like the next step for you is is basically either as a movie or as a series like a Netflix series.
Speaker 3: Yeah, like you're this this is a no brainer. Has has anyone who approached you about you know?
Speaker 4: The couple of people who have, I wouldn't want to really work with you, want to do something, I'll do something with you. I mean I'm serious. I don't know. I think between now and I don't know what I want to do. I do want to place all this stuff. I mean, I want to sell it because I need the money, but I also want to place all this stuff with people who love it. That's why I first talked to you about the albums here, because I don't want to see these albums go to some record store in Brooklyn where somebody's going to buy one of this and three of that and two it. I just want the collection to be with someone who loves it. You know. Q Tip actually did make his way over here one night to look at them, and he started looking up every album and appraising it and figuring out the prices, and then he said, I'm sending my assistant back to see you next week and we're going to do this. And that was no, that was one, two, three, three and a half years ago.
Speaker 2: I think that's what I said. I'm coming over there to scoop them.
Speaker 4: Okay, after I get my second vaccine shot. I have never been so happy in my life when I lowered the age and I'm old enough finally to get this vaccine. But honestly, I want the archives, the tapes. I do want it to go, maybe to an institution where people can listen to it and study it and learn from it, or do a series of podcasts, or do a series of documentaries. I don't know. The problem is I always was too busy just earning a living and getting through every day. And now starting this serious radio show, which is just once a week, I'll be able to talk, which I love in writing. I don't know if I want to write another book. I don't know. I don't know who else I want to interview. I mean, you talk about how did I know the future of rock and roll with CBGB's I didn't. I just was there when it happened and it just seemed right. It was fun. If I had been able to predict the future, first of all, as Friendly for It says, I would pick better a lot of tickets. But also I would have known about hip hop before I did, because that's inexcusable that I was living in New York City and I didn't even know that this was going on for quite a while. Because as I said, it's still the music that it's on my iPod, that in Frank Sinatra and some Florio's Mark Andero corner.
Speaker 2: Wow, well, thank.
Speaker 4: You, Steve. You wanted to ask me something?
Speaker 6: Yeah, you know, why why aren't you just airing these these legendary interviews that you have as as complete as a podcast as a podcast?
Speaker 4: Yeah, well because somebody hasn't made me the right offer yet.
Speaker 6: When they do, I will because that's yeah.
Speaker 4: I mean the show I'm doing for serious is just a call and show because I wanted to do something like Steven A.
Speaker 2: Smith.
Speaker 4: Does you know I wanted people.
Speaker 2: Calling in like sports, but for music.
Speaker 4: Well he does that for sports, I'm going to do it for music. Gla. I could do it for basketball too. I could name you the starting five on all thirty teams.
Speaker 2: You know what they say, no one loves the Knicks more than you do.
Speaker 4: And I'm like, I'm one of those long man.
Speaker 2: So I know you're happy about three wins in a row that they had.
Speaker 4: Come on. At least they're competitive, at least it's watchable. It's not like it was. Julius Ramball is good. I love him Manual quickly, and don't even get me started on the new Jersey nets because that's the whole other thing.
Speaker 2: Well, Lisa, we thank you.
Speaker 3: We've been trying to make this happen for years. I'm proud that you got your technology set.
Speaker 4: Up on just to be able to do zoom. Yeah, thank you.
Speaker 2: I have to hire an.
Speaker 4: IT guy to do that.
Speaker 2: I thought, yeah, I thought I was going to look at.
Speaker 4: Those albums and seriously, yeah.
Speaker 2: I just want to say I'm proud of you getting over your technology fears and doing that because you know, you and I often had the flintstone bird writing a message, sending pigeons to our windows kind of relationships. So one day I'm gonna get you use an iPhone for real.
Speaker 4: I have an iPhone.
Speaker 2: I just.
Speaker 4: I listen to music on it. I go to YouTube, and I Google, and I make phone calls. I'm going when I traveled, when I used to travel.
Speaker 2: You up to two thousand. Okay, please Robinson, Ladies and Joe in Quest left Supreme. We thank you so much. Fan Takeelo and Shuka Steve, thank you. We will see you on the next program. Thank you ladies and Joe.
Speaker 4: Okay, thanks guys, Yo, what's up?
Speaker 2: It's Fonte. Make sure you keep up with us on Instagram at quels and let us know what you think. Who should be next to sit down with us, don't forget to subscribe to our podcast, all Right Peace.
Speaker 1: West Left Supreme is a production of ihearten Rating. For moreodcast from iHeartRadio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.