Speaker 1: And that's what you really missed with Jenna.
Speaker 2: And Kevin an iHeartRadio.
Speaker 3: Podcast Welcome to and that's what you really miss podcasts. Happy Labor Day, everybody, Happy Labor Day, Jenna, you know what Labor Day means? Kevin, Nope, You're not all had to wear white pants anymore.
Speaker 2: The good thing is I've never had styles, So.
Speaker 3: No white pants after Labor Day was the rule. And we're back to school. That's that's the That's the thing.
Speaker 2: Look. Growing up in Texas, we did not go back to school that late. Oh. We always went back to school after Labor Day. In New York, we went back the very beginning of August.
Speaker 3: California. Doesn't that now? And I'm like, it's so hot, how do you function to learn anything?
Speaker 2: Texas it would be over one hundred degrees and you would like recess would be pointless. Sometimes we would have to stay indoors and just like hang out because it was too hot out.
Speaker 3: And it's funny because Caliburnia school is like, you know, you have the outdoor hallways and a lot of them, yep, Like you know, you go from classroom in classroom. That we didn't have that in New York because obviously it's very cold in the winter and you can't have that, so it's like you're outside.
Speaker 2: Yeah that I mean. I moved here in high school and started going to school here and was very perplexed about, like what, because there was one time in high school, the Firs High School I went to, every hallway was exterior, and you get to cafeteria. The cafeteria was outside, like everything was outside, and there was like the week yes, it was like a full week of rain, and no one had anywhere to go outside of each classroom, you know, there was like a tiny overhang, like two people deep sort of thing, and like running to the cafeteria was not an option. Sitting outside for lunchers an option. It was a mess. We were all just completely drenched. Yeah, it was wild. But it was nice though because obviously, growing up in Texas, you're just under the fluorescent lights all.
Speaker 3: Day, right, and so the outside it was I'm for it. I'm for it if the weather is right, you know, in New York, like half the year you can't it's just too cold, you can't function.
Speaker 2: The school and set was much more like my.
Speaker 3: Actual school, and they kept those stages were really.
Speaker 2: Cold, which is why when you see the outdoor performances like the cafeteria courtyard performances like that is a very la school.
Speaker 3: We don't have that.
Speaker 2: No, you can see like the exterior stairwell happening, and that's where the scene you know with Curtain Blaine happened like that, right, it never happened anywhere else in the US.
Speaker 3: No, No, we don't have that.
Speaker 2: There's weather everywhere else.
Speaker 3: So fun to see though, because it feels like Hollywood, because like every movie growing up, I would be like that is you know, like ten things I hate about you. It's like that's a school exterior.
Speaker 2: Do you remember when the school we filmed the food fight at was a different school, and I don't know if we ever filmed there again, but that school looked crazy, like a crazy design. It was all these like bright colored buildings, huge outdoor areas, like different shaped buildings that were connected by like bridges and things like this.
Speaker 3: Is very very la.
Speaker 2: This is I'm not in Texas anymore.
Speaker 3: Exactly in Kansase anymore. Toto No Labor Day also means the end of summer.
Speaker 2: Wo wo kind of sad.
Speaker 3: I like summer summer. I love summer. I'm ready though it's hot, it's really hot, and I'm ready for fall as well. I'm ready being pregnant in the summer. Also, it's no one all.
Speaker 2: I always think about that. I feel so bad for women who.
Speaker 1: Are just I know, you know. The first time around, I was like, oh, wow, this is fun. My daughter was born in June. And this time around, I'm like, oh, I've been through every summer month and I'm I'm good. Now I've done it. Yeah, it feels like it feels like I've ever in my keep.
Speaker 2: We don't really get fall in La though.
Speaker 3: We get You're right, we don't. We get like two days of fall and then it's winter. But winter here. We can't be complaining.
Speaker 1: Kevin.
Speaker 2: No, it's chili, but it's not gold. It's like diet summer. Yeah, exactly, summer and then diet summer.
Speaker 3: What was your favorite part of summer?
Speaker 2: So one of our mutual friends just got married. I just got back from Europe, and so I think I ended summer with a bang. There's no Kevin summer without a eurotrip. No, I gotta go to Europe.
Speaker 3: You have to go to Europe every summer. Yeah, I would be worried if you didn't go to Europe.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much. Yeah, I think that was a highlight. My family came and visited. Yes, yes, for a week, my brother and his wife and kids. They've never done that as a family before. I've lived here twenty years, they've never done that. What yes, wow, Yeah, Okay, that's fun. That's nice. So that was nice. What about you?
Speaker 3: To be honest, I didn't do a lot. We went to Disneyland.
Speaker 2: How was that? How is Emma at Disneyland at this age?
Speaker 3: Amazing? She's like she knows who Many and Mickey are. She wants, she knows what a ride is. She's into like treats, which is like what I'm all about at Disney is like the snacks. So like she gets it now versus like the first time we took her she was a little bit younger and everything was like a spectacle and you're just like kind of wide open. This time she is like, I can appreciate it more. She still't remember it, so I still appreciate it more. Yes, yes, exactly, she did. She did have a trill?
Speaker 2: Did she like a trill?
Speaker 3: Yeah? She loves a troll. She loves any kind of sweet food. She's got your sweet teeth.
Speaker 2: That's my girl.
Speaker 3: Yeah, exactly. I'm there for the spicy pickles, thank you very much.
Speaker 2: So good, Oh those pickles.
Speaker 3: But it's hot. It's hot at Disney. My summer it consisted of swimming as much as possible in friends pools. It's a good way to get them out and in this heat, and then also good for meat afloat. So we didn't do a ton. There was not a ton of traveling or anything like that, but it was a pretty solid summer, I would say, And it was like the last summer of Emma is the only child. So I'm just trying to appreciate that.
Speaker 2: Is that weird?
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's But then I also think like, oh, you're just like another baby will hopefully come and that will be it, and you'll be like, oh, it feels like they were here forever. That's what I'm hoping for.
Speaker 2: It definitely will be.
Speaker 3: Kind of the way it felt like with them, not like, oh it feels like she's been here forever, like there was never a life without her. So I'm trying to soak this up and remember it because I feel like we're just going to be like in.
Speaker 2: Chaos next year watching kids go with her and like be a mom, it always feels like you always have been, Like it's the same.
Speaker 3: Really weird it is. It's really really weird. Well that's nice of you to say. It makes themmer really fun harder but fun.
Speaker 2: Do you feel like you're getting like when you go to Disney, Like I'm not like jaded and like I don't want to go to Disney, but going with her must be so much fun.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, it's I mean everything from holidays to birthdays to Disney.
Speaker 2: Ever, like walking down the street and her scene like a squirrel would be incredible.
Speaker 3: We luck, we go look for lizards every day. It's like everything is more exciting and more fun through their eyes, and everything is new. So like she started school this year and like that's new, and so it's all everything is like exciting because it's new for me then too, how.
Speaker 2: Wait, okay I started school my if I remember correctly stories because I was too young to remember. But like it's really hard on the parents.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's really really hard. I'm both the kids and the parents. Definitely harder on the parents.
Speaker 2: Yeah, how is she going into it?
Speaker 3: She's fine, She's great. She's like, I got this, I'll see you later. And you know, here we are in the background, like.
Speaker 2: Crying, you know what I mean.
Speaker 3: Like it's harder for us, especially when they cry. They're honestly like, they'll get over it. It's fine, are going to be fine. But you had a story.
Speaker 2: It feels like you had, like no, I just remember, like I was really upset going to school. Oh you why. I was very upset.
Speaker 3: Okay, fair, and.
Speaker 2: But I know I was too think my memory of it. I was a little older than she is right now, so maybe I was a little more aware of like the separation of like I'm going to be gone for half a day right now.
Speaker 3: I had the same thing, and I'm hoping that this does, you know, cancels that out and you know, we avoid that because she'll be When I was in school pre K, I cried every day until my mom, like and really upset, to the point where I had to switch schools because the teacher was not nice to me about being so upset about it. There were class parents that would come and they would help with lunch, and then you would go and you'd lay down on those little like gym mats and take them out and after class my mom would leave. I would cry and I lay it on the mat and I would just cry through nawf time. She'd be like, well, if you don't stop crying, your mother's never going to come back. What So I got hold out of that school so fast that you, I mean, it's like a spinning sign. Yeah, but yeah, I'll never forget.
Speaker 2: Oh my god.
Speaker 3: The Catholic school is very strict, very different time, very different time. And now they're like stroke their backs and sing them songs and send you pictures on your app, do group yoga and meditation. Yeah, yeah, you're fine. They're fine. But anyway, I know that. Yeah, everything is exciting.
Speaker 2: Like back to school time. But it made me think of when we would start the like New Glee seasons.
Speaker 3: Very exciting, refreshed sometimes sometimes refreshed.
Speaker 2: Because you'd get you get your little notification like email that we're like so every year they would have to like send like a legal document saying we're picking up your option for another season, and even though we knew it was coming, it always just felt like a oh God, okay, great because getting to work there obviously it wasn't just about like being on TV and people seeing the show and that success. It was also about we worked on one of the most beautiful studio lots ever, one of the oldest in la It was Paramount and it is. It's beautiful, it's very well maintained, and a lot of the original yeah, it's quaint, it feels cozy. A lot of the original architecture is still there. And they had these beautiful gates you drive through. And it felt like such an honor and a privilege to be able to show up there every day, like, this is my place of work, this beautiful place, and you know the security guards, you know the valet people, you know everybody that works there. And the fact that you're getting to show up and like do this magical thing of making a TV show, which feels and I never really got used to it. It at least felt surreal.
Speaker 3: Of here we are again. Yeah, this is my job.
Speaker 2: I can't believe they still want me here and can't believe people are still watching the show. It just felt so unbelievable because like growing up wanting to do that, and then here you are getting to do that at the highest level at this beautiful place. That's right, And that last week or two I remember, like I have clear memories of sitting in that choir room and just being very present, being very aware of looking around, like wow, here's the three cameras on us, like at all this and again yeah we are like this is so cool. I'm in my costume, I'm playing a character that people know goes to Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Every year it felt like also you had a little bit more seniority. You know everybody a little bit more. You notice like if there's new people there like you, this is your house and your home, even though it still feels very surreal, Like I agree with you. Driving onto Paramount every day like felt like an honor. You drive through the little like arches that they have and you see it in every movie and you're like, wow, this is this is my life. I got to drive on recently and I went and did an episode of something on the lot and it was so surreal. But the feeling of driving on the Gate was exactly the same. It was so weird and it was like a total time warp, but it was really exciting and it is still just as magical and beautiful. And I always felt like the photo shoots, we would always have the promo photo shoots leading up to that's the year, and every year you'd be like, Oh, who got bangs, who has extensions, who's makeup? Is this? What's Tina's luck? This year? You just like got a set of what was coming and like what the feel was going to be. People who had hadn't seen each other in a long time, Like I feel like we saw each other a lot over the summers, but like it was kind of a reunion and then you're like, Okay, we're gearing up, it's time to go again.
Speaker 2: That's true. I forgot about how we used to go into those things. And sometimes because we spend so much time together, everyone would sort of just like scattered across the US or around the world, and like sometimes we just didn't speak for like a month by yeah, and it we'd come back and it would be that like, oh, we're still like overly tan everybody, and nobody can really turn off their like summer brain yet. Yeah. Yeah, like we're not really back to work, but this is sort of work. So everyone was a little like slow motiony, sleepy through like yeah, we gotta do this thing. But by the time you show up to actually start shooting, and the script was fresh and like it was the first script of the season, like what's going to happen this year? What are we in for? We'd also start at those photo shoots, remember we, because like you said you would, you would have hair and makeup, so they would have some informations, and you'd have wardrobe, and you would get to see information through your clothing, your costumes of like where we're going because they've been having ongoing conversations with Ryan and everybody that we weren't privy to yet. Yeah, And so then we would try through the different departments to like gain out info of like what is happening this season? Like what is it? What's an overall look? What are we doing? What are the kids in? Where are we going?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Yeah, or like the graduation caps and gowns one that one year when all the seniors were graduating, You're like, this is crazy.
Speaker 2: It was.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was always a fun start. Everybody looked so tan in the first episode and then like yeah, slowly we got the paramount yeap milky white skin.
Speaker 2: Back and I always feel like everyone looked a little cooler, and all the promo shots because everyone still kind of had their like summer here.
Speaker 3: And we really try to implement that back into the show, and you're like, you look too cool to be in high school now, Yeah, everybody just started to look old. Yep, going back to beginning and back to school. Did you have any pre like back to school traditions when you were a kid before the start of the school year, Like I would always very I realized I was very privileged. I would always like go shopping before the school year and get like a bunch of new outfits and then or like a pair of new sneakers and a new pair of jeans, and like a new backpack or and then school supply shopping was my favorite. I found the most joy in getting a five star trapper keeper and like a new backpack, and sometimes and pencils. There's nothing more satisfying.
Speaker 2: Oh, in getting like the little like every year there was like a new way to store your pins and pencils in a raceo and like getting up on that. I realized I didn't I didn't know the phrase back to school shopping. I somehow like missed that until I was a little too old, and I was a little bitter because I never felt like I ever went back to school shopping really maybe because I was the last kid and so my parents are just like, here's her new stuff. Yeah, so I didn't ever really realize. I think I would maybe request, like, like there was one year I wanted to go get this sort of like file binder thing instead of having all these different binders. I thought that was cool, but I was in I didn't.
Speaker 3: Oh, I loved all of it. I loved it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I loved like, you know, like the crafty stuff like getting tapes and getting all that and being able to organize it properly. Yes, but I felt like maybe I just wasn't paying attention. But I don't think there was ever really intentional back to school shopping. I remember seeing on TV or in a movie that happening and people getting back to school clothes, and I was like, wait, people do that. I had no idea.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, obviously people who are privileged to have that ability and it's a luxury to go get new stuff for every year, but.
Speaker 2: Like, yeah, I don't know if we had the money to be doing that.
Speaker 3: There was some point in my childhood where I was very lucky and did that. But even so, yeah, a new peris sneakers is like very exciting. The trapper keepers, the pens and pencils, the what else, like the college ruled five star five subjects. The color you get, Oh my god, how many the folders? Like that was the most exciting for me every year, Like coming in with the new notebooks and pens blue or black? Which one did you use? The eraseable pens? Did you not use pens? Like it's important? It was important to me.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I also was like very big about my backpack, and you know people would like have people like ride on their backpack or sign it. I always wanted mine to be so clean.
Speaker 3: Ristine, Oh yeah.
Speaker 2: I never wanted anything on it. And that's why I wanted everything in my bag to be like I remember what year did we like start getting textbooks to take home, like middle school or something, and the backpacks becoming so heavy huge all the little kids.
Speaker 3: Do you remember. I don't know if this happened in Texas, but they started weighing our backpacks at school and you weren't allowed to go over a certain weight because it was causing scoliosis and kids, and we weren't allowed to carry our backpacks around during school. We'd have to carry books and put them back in our locker. Some kids would walk around with every book in their backpack, me and it would I can't imagine, Kevin. You were probably dragging it at the end, like you're so little.
Speaker 2: Yes, And.
Speaker 3: We weren't allowed to do that after a while, or people started getting the wheely backpacks like like a really suitcase basically, which it was cool for a moment, but now you look back, you're like, I totally got made fun of.
Speaker 2: Oh that became so uncool so quickly, and I was nerdy. I was not that nerdy. I never did it. I did stories coming about how heavy the backpacks were, and I remember being, yeah, it is really heavy. But changed. I think they maybe like allowed us to keep textbooks in the classroom because I didn't have a locker. No, I did have a locker in middle school, but I just refused to ever use a good idea.
Speaker 3: Why don't you just leave the textbook in the classroom on the side.
Speaker 2: Yeah we did that a little bit.
Speaker 3: Yeah, very interesting. Yeah, back to school is such a thing. I don't know where you were, but.
Speaker 2: I know I might have just been oblivious to it. I could have to camp to camp. I went to marine biology camp because I'd go to Florida every summer.
Speaker 3: Oh, my god.
Speaker 2: And I was forced to go to Rinbology camp.
Speaker 3: Were you forced or did you go?
Speaker 2: I was forced, but I always ended up enjoying it and ended up my cousin and I would go. And I don't know if anybody has seen twisters, but I grew up in Tornado Alley mm and right below Oklahoma, and I was deathly afraid of storms.
Speaker 3: Really.
Speaker 2: Oh, I would watch the Weather Channel every single day. If they were gray clouds in the sky, I would make us go indoors, like I. But at this marineology camp, you're on the coast at summer, so you storms would fly in and fly out. And near Tampa where I was, it was like the lightning capital of the world. So we would be out in the water at themroology camp and I would see a storm coming in and I would start screaming and I would run through the water to like dive onto.
Speaker 3: The boat to stop to you at home, Oh, because I was so scared.
Speaker 2: Oh, I thought it like I was a little stressed. That was a little stressed that camp.
Speaker 3: But to be fair, you did live in like Tornado country.
Speaker 2: I did, Yeah, But now I miss it because its weather. So now I'm at Lightnings.
Speaker 3: I'm like, yes, yeah, yeah, yeah, totally, that's so interesting. I always wanted to go to sleep boy camp. My mother and I never let me.
Speaker 2: I didn't want to sleep boy camp or camp at all.
Speaker 3: I went to theater camp. That's actually a lie. I went to theater camp.
Speaker 2: That tracks.
Speaker 3: I went to theater camp almost every year. When am I talking about.
Speaker 2: Was it similar to the ben Platte.
Speaker 3: Movie, It wasn't one of those.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 3: It was at the school where I went to high school, so it was a program out of school. It wasn't like cabins and like we put on fifteen Musical. There was like every age group did a showcase at the end. No, it was nothing like camp or theater camp, which I wish I went to one of those. It would have my dream to go back in time and do that. I think it's the funniest thing in the whole world and would have been a very prominent experience. But no, mine was not like that. But it was two weeks of musical theater. So if you can believe, I was deathly shy. So going to a theater camp or anything like that was my nightmare. I could see that. I could see that.
Speaker 2: I did not want to be perceived, and it's like nobody noticed me. Please all Yeah, well camp was fun.
Speaker 3: Marine. I wanted to be a dolphin trainer, so I probably would have loved to be at your camp.
Speaker 2: Do you remember that movie Dolphin Tail? No, okay, I came out. I mean I know of it. I didn't okay it, I didn't see either. But that was about the aquarium in clear Orad of Florida and the real dolphin that was there, and so it was a rehabilitation aquarium.
Speaker 3: I love it.
Speaker 2: And so that was like the real place. And so it was cool because I did get to see, like I say, I saw kinds of things because they'd be working medically on animals and it wasn't that. Yeah, it was quite cool. And then going back after that movie came out and they made all this like money, it's completely different because we came like a touristy spot. It was great. Yeah, great, great place.
Speaker 3: Well, I hope that everybody has a nice labor day and a good back to school whatever that looks like for you, and.
Speaker 2: A great fall. I would like to, oh, are you appropriate presenting fall. Here, I'm presenting faull as we go into fall. Here's what I hope that we have more than two days of it in Los Angeles or I travel somewhere where there are leaves of different colors, right.
Speaker 3: And right, A cool a cool fall in winter.
Speaker 2: And also early voting is going to be starting.
Speaker 3: You'll get registered. You can check if you're registered, register register.
Speaker 2: Yeah, some places it's too late, so you know, rip. But if it's not, go check. Some places make it a little more difficult and need more lead time, so check asap or if you are registered. Also make sure that your registration is still current, because it has been happening in some states that they go and check and you check suddenly not registered anymore. Doesn't hurt to check, No, it doesn't hurt to check. And have a great fall. Who knows what it's going to bring, hopefully.
Speaker 3: Only good things and funny, fun spooky Halloween and great holiday vibes.
Speaker 2: Do you know what you're dressing Episod for Halloween?
Speaker 3: No? Okay, yeah, we're gonna be ahead of ourselves. Let's not get to the holidays just yet. But everybody, have a great and happy and save labor day and we'll see you.
Speaker 2: Thanks for listening, and that's what you really miss Thanks for listening, and follow us on Instagram at and That's what you really miss pod. Make sure to write us a review and leave us five stars. See you next time.