Speaker 1: One of the biggest misconceptions about buying a home right now is that you have to wait for the perfect moment, perfect rates, perfect timing, perfect market. The truth is that moment doesn't really exist. A lot of buyers pause because of headlines or assumptions, but every situation is different. Race change, market shift, and personal goals matter just as much as what's happening nationally. That's why talking to a local lender can be so valuable. When you contacts Doctor Mortgage, you get paired up with a local lender. That lender will give you your options. That lender will explain the situation. You can ask your own questions. That's what it's all about, getting to the closing table as simple and as easy as possible. Our friends at scot To the Mortgage focus on helping people understand their options. Whether you're ready to buy now, later or just starting to ask questions. There's no pressure to make a decision, just a chance to get real information and a clear picture of what's possible. Sometimes the smartest move isn't waiting, it's getting informed. Visit stock to dot com today to learn more about your options. MLS eight two five nine, Equality and Lender n MOLS Consumer Access.
Speaker 2: Or welcme back.
Speaker 3: It is Kentucky Sports Radio here live at home, the sweets in Somerset. I want to thank the folks at Little Caesar's who gave pizza. A lot of people over there getting pizza right now, Ryan Lemon, you're gonna get some of your zany dust that pack.
Speaker 2: Za pack Okay, pizza, pizza, all right? Dad?
Speaker 3: Didn't you didn't need to do that. Uh, Mario made a mean video about you. By the way, did you have you seen that?
Speaker 2: Was mean? I I it's on what's that on?
Speaker 3: Mario? Mario put it on his Twitter. There's a video that's just a little mean. I just want I don't condone Mario's video about Ryan, although I will say I do think it's funny, Drew, I'm not.
Speaker 2: I'm not gonna say that I condone it.
Speaker 4: Well, sometimes when Ryan's not the one talking, he looks a little sleepy, and Mario just captured some of it and put a nursery rhyme over.
Speaker 2: Lah blah blah.
Speaker 3: Ef I'm nine twenty two eighty seven. One person says, Matt, did you see the lawyers that were making out in Central Park have been put on leave.
Speaker 2: I don't like that.
Speaker 3: I think that's you've completely they have completely upended these people's lives for what they're not public figures.
Speaker 2: Leave them alone, let people make out. I mean, now they both have put on leave.
Speaker 3: First of all, I don't know that any either one of them should have been put on leave, but the woman certainly shouldn't have been put on leave. Like, you know, what, why would you do that? They're following these people around the streets.
Speaker 2: If you can't make out in Central Park, where can you make out? Really? Okay?
Speaker 3: Fine, like even people who are like, well, don't make out in Central Park? Okay, but do you really think people should lose their jobs over making out in Central Park? On the park beautiful? You know, I feel like, are we going We're going a little crazy if people are losing their jobs for making out in Central Park.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the dude had a job offer on the table right from another law firm that was gonna pay him like millions and millions and millions of dollars a year.
Speaker 2: They pulled that offer.
Speaker 3: And the law firms are doing it because they're like, people keep harassing this Who are the people harassing these people?
Speaker 2: Build? Yeah, this is a slippery slow.
Speaker 5: But I don't want to live in a country where you can't make out in a public park.
Speaker 2: This is just this is not right. Think how peaceful that is.
Speaker 3: It's a nice little bench there before we I want to get to some UK football before we do that. Drake London is an NFL player. He got engaged Marissa, so they it's nice.
Speaker 2: He got engaged. Did you see what he did for his engagement? I did not see this, So all.
Speaker 3: Right, first time, I'm going to tell you what he did, get your reaction, and then tell you why did it and see if that changes.
Speaker 2: Okay, all right, he gets engaged.
Speaker 3: He sets up on a mountaintop. He sets up a table with like fine dining. He gets on one knee and then serves his uh fiance Taco bell. Oh yeah, he gave her two chiloopas uh as part of the engagement.
Speaker 2: Do you like that?
Speaker 1: I'm hoping there's more of the story, like if that was their first date or something or what?
Speaker 2: What do you what? Do you like it? Well?
Speaker 4: Obviously I love it? Do you take a step far? He could have rolled the ring up and toilet paper where she finds it a few minutes later.
Speaker 1: Everything else about the story is very romantic. You know, if he did all this leading up to.
Speaker 3: So the reason so rationale apparently is this might be kind of sweet. Actually, on their second date, he took her to Taco Bell. Now that's a red flag to me. On the second day, I think you gotta know. I think you gotta know somebody a little while before you take him to Taco Bell.
Speaker 2: But second date takes them to Taco Bell.
Speaker 3: Apparently at Taco Bell, she said to him something like, I had a dream once that I would get engaged eating Taco Bell. He put it in his memory bank and then decided when he got engaged to make her dream. It wasn't like what she wanted, but she had had a dream to make her dream come true.
Speaker 2: Does that make it sweet? I mean I loved it from the beginning with it. Does that make it sweet? Marissa?
Speaker 4: Yes, he remember that for so long when they first started dating. Maybe he didn't have much money. I'm sure as a college athlete he was getting paid zero dollars, so he probably just went and got what they could afford.
Speaker 1: On their second date, you know that meant going to mean so much to that couple, and especially to her more than any expensive he could have spent one thousand dollars on a dinner. He spent twelve dollars and fifty cents, and it meant more to her than anything else he could do.
Speaker 4: That's though, Tu chuoupa is hard to get for twelve dollars these days. You're talking, you're real good fifteen.
Speaker 2: By the way, I've eaten at the Mount Vernon Taco Bell. Oh, it's a great one, probably.
Speaker 3: As much as any restaurant in the state, because every time we come here, I forget to get food and then there's nothing between here and Mount Vernon except that Taco Bell. And I'm like, all right, fine, I'll eat at the Mount Vernon Taco Bell. I've eaten there a million times.
Speaker 2: Good spot right down the hill there. Yeah, it's right to you go there.
Speaker 5: Anyway, Romance is in the eye of the beholder, and this was obviously romantic to them. I spent junior prom dinner at Taco Bell, so I understand it's a romantic place.
Speaker 2: Where was that is?
Speaker 5: At the Taco Bell in Crestwood. We had reservations on the waterfront and Louisville and it storms so bad they had to cancel the reservation.
Speaker 2: And his next choice was Taco Bell. Yeah, I love it. That's sweet.
Speaker 3: I feel like that's a very billy prom prom story. If I'm nine two twenty two eighty seven. Let's talk a little bit about football. Kentucky opens Media Day is Monday.
Speaker 2: We will be there. We'll be doing the show there.
Speaker 3: Will stein Uh and Kenny Minsche we'll both be on here on Monday to talk. You can actually meet your future quarterback here on Monday. I'm very excited about that. You know, they get going that afternoon will be the first practice. We know almost nothing about this team as a fan base.
Speaker 2: Really.
Speaker 3: I mean we know Todd Bryant, Willie Rodriguez, and we know our quarterbacks. Willy Minschie, the one of the offensive linemen, did a bitch me. Kenny Benchi, one of the offensive linemen, did a video where he drew and it turns out he's a great artist. But we know nothing about this team. What do you think we're gonna learn over the next few weeks?
Speaker 2: What artists?
Speaker 4: For one, that was incredible for anyone that hadn't seen that video. They had him draw the free hand the UK logo and it's like perfect he's maybe the best player on the team.
Speaker 2: Colton Price uh.
Speaker 4: Monday, even though he'll be on Monday as well. By the Yeah, he's he might be one of the best sinners in the country with minche. You know, we've seen the highlights and he was a media day. But I'm excited to hear from him the guy, being the leader of the team. Still don't know a lot about him other than just his timeline of getting to UK and what little glipses we've gotten in the spring. But it's been pretty pretty quiet around him, and I'm excited to have a full conversation with him.
Speaker 3: Ryan, What do you think we're gonna learn over the course of the next few weeks before the first game.
Speaker 1: I don't know if we'll be able to learn a whole lot rather than the think. I'm looking at our running backs. Our top two guys are hurt. You know, they didn't even play in the spring. They're coming off very serious injuries.
Speaker 3: But they're both being they're both supposed to play this fall, they'll supposed to play this false. So yes, one thing I'm looking might learn are they already are they gonna be ready?
Speaker 2: How are they rehab?
Speaker 3: And I think I think our football story is gonna be a lot like our basketball story in the sense of we're going to score a lot of points.
Speaker 2: I don't know that our defense is gonna be very good.
Speaker 3: I do think, though, fans need to prepare through we might have the best offensive line this school has ever seen. I mean, we are bringing in five guys, and they're not like this dude that's played at New Mexico State and this dude that played at UTEP. We're bringing in five guys with pedigrees. We brought in the number one center in America from Baylor. We brought in a starter from Tennessee, a starter from Ohio State. I mean, these are guys with pedigrees. This is an offensive line that if it's not good, it will be a shock. Cole Kublick says it will be the best offensive line in the history of Kentucky football.
Speaker 2: Those are strong words. Do you think they'll they'll meet up to it. I hope.
Speaker 6: So.
Speaker 4: There's a few returners that will be playing with those guys and backing them up that need to take a step forward.
Speaker 2: But overall, it's a if. CBS ranked them third behind Georgia and Texas.
Speaker 3: I mean, just think about that for a minute. Third best offensive line I think in the SEC. Fifth best in the country CBS has for I mean.
Speaker 2: That's crazy.
Speaker 4: And as we saw when Kentucky was winning, they had the big Blue wall and that's what powered everything. That took a dip late in the Stoops years and it just derailed everything. You know, tight ends, we're having to stay back and block more than get involved in the passing game. So Stein made that a priority. And with what he runs his offense, he knew he needed to have a good line and it seems he has one.
Speaker 3: Do we play Texas this year? No, Texas go to Tea, So I want you to think about that. According to CBS Ryan, we will have a better offensive line than every team we play. We don't play Georgia either. We will have a better offensive line than every team we play.
Speaker 4: That has never happened, right, and Alabama's on the schedule, Yes, I.
Speaker 2: Mean Alabama's is supposed to be kind of weak.
Speaker 3: I mean, we will have a better offensive line, again, according to CBS, than every team we play. That's never happened in UK football history. And I think our fans haven't even really met me. He true have not even really truly made that real essay that this is gonna be, at least on offense, a different Kentucky team than we've seen.
Speaker 1: It's amazing to hear you say that when we are, like get Brew said on our schedules Alabama, Florida, LSU, Texas, A and m at all offensive line is ready to higher than all those teams, all of them.
Speaker 2: That's amazing, well compared to the last few years.
Speaker 5: As long as they don't visit the concession stand mid game, they're going to be better than what it's been in the last few But I mean.
Speaker 3: We've had good offensive lines, but this one could be the best.
Speaker 4: So at the ornamenthead one win the Joe More Award, that's best in the country.
Speaker 3: That's that's amazing. But now we have this one. And then you've got Minchi. The guy hasn't really played, but there are people that'll tell you that he nearly started at Notre Dame last year, that a lot of people that watched camp thought he.
Speaker 2: Might get the job. He didn't.
Speaker 3: The other guy played the whole year and Notre Dame was good. I mean, are you optimistic about him? I mean, it'll be the first time I've ever seen him speak will be when he sits with us on Monday.
Speaker 2: I am.
Speaker 4: We've had two examples of this. There was Vandergriff who almost won the job at Georgia and everybody said they would have been fine with him that didn't pen out a lot of injuries. But then we also had Will Levis, who they said could have been the starter at Penn State, but he wanted to go somewhere we could start, hopefully. Minshi is more of the Levis that we saw, where a guy just couldn't win the job at his first school, but knew he had started capabilities.
Speaker 3: I do wonder if it's like a third time he's a charm, because you're right, we've had this happen twice. One of them was a huge success, one of them was a huge failure. I kind of feel like Ryan, and maybe I'm just being optimistic. This is more a Levis situation. If you remember with Levis, the story was well, he nearly won the job, didn't quite get it, was still talented, and then knew he wouldn't get to start the next year, so he came. I kind of feel like this is more like this. I'm crossing and we had a trust will Stein. I mean, he's had a great track record with quarterbacks. This is the guy he went after, This is the guy he wanted. So I trust his judgment on how good Ken he Minchi is and will be. I was listening to Andy Staples yesterday and he was looking at that Alabama game, Billy, and he said, the Alabama game has a chance to make will Stein's career and end Kaylin de Bor's career.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 3: And it's the second week of the season. And that's the very like grand thing to say. But I don't think it's crazy if Kentucky wins. I mean, I want you to just put your mind on what that day is gonna be. Like, Okay, second week of the season, there are only like three games that are really good all over the country. We will be playing at three point thirty on ABC Prime slot. The whole country watching leading into Texas Ohio State, which is arguably the biggest game of the year, and you're gonna be right before it. Texas Ohio State will probably get the biggest rating that any game will get all season if you could beat Alabama leading into it and then throughout the game, have people saying Kentucky beat Alabama. Billy, you have a chance to make your program in the second game. Now that doesn't mean you're gonna go to the to the playoff. It doesn't mean, but you have a chance to make your program. Even if you play it close and lose, you have a chance to make your program.
Speaker 2: What an opportunity it really is.
Speaker 5: And if you thought people were talking about will Stein after the because of me comment, he will be the talk of the sport. If they can have an upset like that, the energy in Crogerfield is going to be incredible.
Speaker 2: And just going to back for a second.
Speaker 5: You remember Shaiz Pete, he joined us, he became a star after our interview at media Day. I think Kenny Minsh's gonna do that. You're gonna find out he is the guy when we interview him on Monday.
Speaker 2: I hope. So.
Speaker 3: I think that'll be uh. I think that would be great. And I am looking forward to Drew just the moment. I mean, what is the last big moment for UK fans in football? What's the last what's the last moment like Kroger Field will be in the lead up to that Alabama game? Is it two years ago? Three four, When was the last time we had a moment like that's gonna be.
Speaker 4: Well, we've you know, celebrated. The win over Florida is huge, but the pregame won't be anything like this. Alabama coming up.
Speaker 3: I mean, I can't think of the last time there will be I mean, that's gonna be the big I mean, when's the last time we hosted Alabama?
Speaker 4: Uh, they were here not too long ago. They smoked us pretty good. But was it during COVID. It's been since COVID, If I'm not mistaken, we were never in it. Well, Matt, but we've been in this ABC game the last two years at three point thirty and have got embarrassed. Remember they were laughing going to halftime because we fumbled time outs and you know, messed up to plays. So now we're back in that spotlight with an even better opponent and hopefully not dropping the ball this time because Ole Miss last year in South Carolina year before that came in and beat us in derail.
Speaker 3: You're right, we've played we've played in that that little slot in Week two for the last few years and it's worked out not so well. I think this one, whether we win or not, I think it's gonna go a lot. Better tell me about Stocktor, Mortgage.
Speaker 1: Doctor Mortgage. They're all over the state. Then they can help you down here in Somerset. They can help you with Russell Springs. They can help you. David still over there in Jamestown, Russell Springs. I got tied up which one when they were.
Speaker 2: Look I can I guess you don't have the script.
Speaker 1: Well I didn't have time to pull it out. I've got a brand new script that starts August first.
Speaker 2: But you I tend to go to you at this time.
Speaker 1: No, it's you never know when you're gonna go to me. Usually it's like the last commercial break.
Speaker 2: Okay, so what about them?
Speaker 1: Well, Stocktor Morgan can't help you refinance, uh, take out equity in your home. If you want to build a pool, maybe refinish your basement. They you may have a lot of equity in your house you don't know about. So see she's she's nudging him right there.
Speaker 2: Call stock you want him to get a pool. Yeah, I will tell you I have a pool.
Speaker 3: If you could keep the bugs out of it, then you would love it.
Speaker 2: That's right. If you can just find a way to keep the bugs.
Speaker 1: Need to contact Stockton Mortgage. They can go to the website Stockton dot com. You can use them that equity you've got in your house right now, put that pool in for dude. What are you waiting on?
Speaker 2: Man? We'll do it. Thank STOCKINGMORER can save you money. That's why you gotta use them.
Speaker 1: Stockton dot Com NMLS A two five nine Equah.
Speaker 3: We'll take a break and be right back here at Somerset at Home to Sweets to see.
Speaker 2: Is Kentucky Sports Radio work come back?
Speaker 6: It is?
Speaker 3: Gootsuch Kentucky Sports Radio here at home to Sweets in Somerset, Kentucky Thoroughbred Hospitality Group, Kentucky playing TBT Sunday. How many all gonna watch the game Sunday? I saw the ratings for the last Kentucky game.
Speaker 2: Were actually really good, were they? Yeah? They were.
Speaker 3: They think it had something like six hundred thousand or something like that, which is a lot for a summer basketball game with TBT. And I think that's because of Kentucky fans. How much do you think you'll be nervous while you watch the game that you know.
Speaker 4: I've already been nervous. I've been nervous since Wednesday night. They're one step away from the chicken, as Willie cauley Stein called it on here last Friday.
Speaker 2: Once up away from the chicken. That's what he's calling the money he wants the chicken, the chicken. I've never heard money called chicken before.
Speaker 4: I mean, you know, these guys have made some good money in their pro careers, but that's still a lot of money dangling in front of them to add to their bank accounts.
Speaker 2: With one more win.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean they'll be I mean, I don't know if they're paying them equally, but like you could end up making two hundred and fifty thousand.
Speaker 2: Dollars for a week or for two weeks. That's pretty good. And they never had to really leave Lexington.
Speaker 1: You get to play in a national television you mean, you can kind of help revitalize your career, maybe get a better signing of an overseas team somewhere. So there's a lot to play for, just besides the money to pay.
Speaker 3: All right, So Davis Steele gave us Davis Steel T shirts.
Speaker 2: Here you go, Here we go.
Speaker 3: I don't know what I'm gonna do with this. I have to tell you, Drew, because I can't.
Speaker 2: I can't. Can't you have to hold it. Let's see Bob and Jamestown. There you go.
Speaker 3: You can have one too, so that you know, so that you know it's down on the right it says steel City. Do you do you think after we win? Do you think I make a video like taking it down or something like that?
Speaker 2: Maybe?
Speaker 4: I mean I wish them well with their business starting Monday morning, But between now and Sunday, I just can't look past the fact that they left us for another team.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it is tough, but we have talked about them a lot.
Speaker 4: They have as we learned, their own community wasn't very aware of them, so that the marketing end has worked for them.
Speaker 2: Are we gonna win? I feel like we're gonna win.
Speaker 3: I watched that game last night and it didn't feel like they were great.
Speaker 4: So they gave York that played at Arizona's really good. You average is twenty something.
Speaker 2: He's like Archie. They're very sad. They're probably the two best players in the league.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think Archie's first and York is third and scoring in the whole tournament.
Speaker 1: York played for the Pacers when he went to the championship series just two years ago.
Speaker 2: I mean he's, you know.
Speaker 1: Still a great player that long we have Archie. If Archie shows up, I put everything in its faith with him.
Speaker 4: There's a video of Marcus Lee working out lexing today. Surely he's not showing.
Speaker 2: Marcus Le can't show up right now. At this point, it's like, no, you had your chance, but I can't play. You gotta have some big guy, right.
Speaker 4: There's a clip of him working out.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and David Steel has some guys from the state of Kentucky, whether it be Terry Taylor who played at Bowling Green or Pedro Bradshaw.
Speaker 3: I did I did think it was weird that the GM for Davis Steele did not realize he had two players from Kentucky. On I knew that you have anyone from Kentucky, and he said no, And there are two people from Kentucky on his team.
Speaker 2: Maybe he's not the most mister Kentucky basketball. He's not the most active GM in the world. But he didn't seem to know.
Speaker 5: They were also drinking champagne after the win last night, So I feel like they've already won their super Bowl. We'll wait and do that after Kentucky wins the championship.
Speaker 2: Kid too. Dj Rodman, an alumni team has only won one time ever. Just keep going, so we will. We'll see if it happens. Who's up next? Roxanne Rock saying, is it one o'clock, one o'clock, one pm? And I think it's on regular Fox.
Speaker 3: I think it's on Big Fox for the first time this time, Roxane, go ahead, Roxanne, Hey.
Speaker 7: Good morning, guys. Sorry I missed the beginning of the show this morning. Apologize advance if you guys already talked about this, but we're driving back from Cincinnati. Went to the Reds game last night. Did you see where will Stein throughout the first pitch?
Speaker 3: Buck? Will Stein? Throughout the first pitch? I did not see, Roxande. Did he throw it down the middle?
Speaker 2: He did?
Speaker 7: It was a little high, the at least he got it to the plate and it did not hit the dirt.
Speaker 3: He did yesterday they had will Stein and he did it, and yeah, that was very cool. And I missed that game. But Ellie had a good game, so I hope you enjoyed it.
Speaker 7: Elli did have a good game. We went up. I'm a Cleveland fan. My husband's a Pirates fan, so okay, we went up Wednesday for the Cleveland game and last night for the Pirates game. We were hoping to see schemes pitched last night, but he's picky.
Speaker 2: I think he goes tonight.
Speaker 7: He is, Well, I'm all right, you guys have a great weekend. Be safe out there tonight.
Speaker 3: Appreciate the call. I skipped watching schemes for Billy. That tells you how much the possibility of seeing Paul Skins and Livy Dunn. I'm skipping it to be with you tonight.
Speaker 5: Yes, oh, I'll be. I'll be on it tonight. I didn't need Ryan to take his afternoon nap so he can stay up with us.
Speaker 4: I'm a little worried be in the home of where to Mimosa Billy started?
Speaker 2: Is your tolerance got any better? Or was here? It was down here?
Speaker 5: Yeah, some common misconceptions. It was three mimosas, not two. We had a whole barbecue spread right after and jumped in the car. But yeah, not one of my better moments. But I will forever thank Somerset count Tonight.
Speaker 3: Just pace yourself, remember just we need to We need to be able to enjoy the freezy, freezy Mobilly tonight.
Speaker 2: Who's next? Sean, Sean, go ahead, Sean.
Speaker 6: Hey guys, sorry, just like the previous car I'm coming a little bit late. Uh, Matt, if you are very touched on this. Let me know the bill that about that, the bill that are proposing for car college football about the nil stuff. Yes, I read that it contains possibly a salary cap. And let me just ask my question real quick. And you may not know. I don't know. I'm sorry if you don't. Here, let me just give an example in this bill. If Kentucky were to go two million over the salary cap, would they owe two million dollars to the federal government? I mean, how does this work?
Speaker 2: No? No, not again.
Speaker 3: Now, the language of this bill is changing daily, so I don't know what it says today. But in general, the cap is enforceable by it is a law, so it is enforceable by the government. But it is enforceable by like you getting punished the way schools get punished if they don't if they, you know, break regulations. So I don't think they would owe two million dollars to the government, but they could be punished. How they would be punished, I honestly have not heard, so I don't I don't know the answer. But what people against the bill we'll say is I appreciate the call. Let's say Kentucky did what it did in the late eighties and broke the rules. Do you really think the federal government should be it should be punishing schools with federal punishment for this, And a lot of people would go, yeah, it doesn't seem right. But I will say this, It looks like it's not gonna pass, but we'll talk a little bit more about it. Billy's gonna do a county. We'll be right back. This is Kentucky Sports Radio.
Speaker 2: Waterback. It is Kentucky Sports Radio.
Speaker 3: You can grab a botanical buzz this summer with Cornbread's new non alcoholic sprints, crisp and refreshing functional beverage comes in four USDA organic flavors, and it is delicious way to kick back, only thirty calories, no hangover. Cornbread spins at Liquor Barn, total Wine, fresh market Coxes and evergreen Cornbread grown for the good Life eight five, nine, two eighth, twenty two eighty seven. Here at home to sweets in Somerset and exciting. A lot of business are starting to bring us for their openings or their anniversaries, and I think that's very cool because it's a nice way to, like, you know, have a little celebration.
Speaker 2: I'm big on celebrations. I want to go back to the question from the.
Speaker 3: Caller about the bill because I this has been a key week for the college sports bill. Let me just update you on what's happening this week because it's a lot. So bill was written by Ted Cruz and Maria Cantwell. The NCAA has endorsed the bill. The bill said essentially a salary cap and one transfer. There are other parts of the provision as well, but that was the big one salary cap, one transfer for all of college sports. The NCAA agrees to it. Then the SEC and Big ten come in and they say they have an addition that they want to include, which is which basically one was to allow teams to pay more money for the players that are already on on their roster. So basically, if you had Trent Noah, you could pay Trent Noah. The salary cap for guys aren't you already on your rosters a little higher? Okay, so maybe it's it's you know, I think the number was twenty three million for all sports, but maybe for guys that you or men or women that are already on your roster, you might get another five million. Let's say something like that. Does that make sense. I think that was agreed to by Cruising Camp. Well, so I think that was going to get in the bill. But then they added something that said, uh, basically, the Big ten in the SEC can sell their own TV rights and they will get a.
Speaker 2: Little more money than everyone else.
Speaker 3: The other conferences didn't like it, but as I understand, they weren't gonna agree to that, but they weren't gonna agree to it at the number of the SEC, and Big ten won it. Yesterday, the senators went to the SEC in Big Ten and said, we need your decision today. Do you back the bill or not? Because you know a lot of the senators especially it's a lot of the SEC senators or Republicans. A lot of the Big ten senators are Democrats, and these senators for those states were like, hey, SEC and Big ten, tell us what you want. The Big ten had all their presidents meet like yesterday afternoon, so did the SEC. So j Blatt literally left our thing and then went to the conference call where he met with all the SEC people to decide. From what I understand, both the SEC and Big ten presidents were not able to come to a yes or no vote, and so the bill dies for now, but can be brought up again.
Speaker 2: Next week.
Speaker 3: If it doesn't get passed next week, then it probably will not be passed until after the elections in November. So basically we'll have another year at chaos unless they pass the bill next week. So that's kind of where it is. And from what I understand, the issue is not partisan. The partisan part has kind of been worked out. The issue is just the SEC and Big ten want more, and the senators representing the SEC and Big ten are hesitant to vote for it unless they're on board.
Speaker 2: So that's where we are.
Speaker 4: And if you listen to Greg Sink you at all, like at SEC me to days a couple weeks ago, he doesn't seem to be budgeting whatsoever. He wants SEC to remain top dog and getting the most, even if that means even going as far as maybe even splitting off at some point. He doesn't seem like he's wanting to meet the other side.
Speaker 3: And just I mean, this is a minor point, but I do think it's worth noting Kentucky their advocates in the Senate, one of whom is not part of it, Mitch McConnell because he's in the hospital. And then Ran Paul has said on multiple times kind of my name's Bennett and I ain't in it.
Speaker 2: I don't care which is which, which I get.
Speaker 3: He's just like, and you know, I disagree with ram Paul a lot, but I kind of understand his position. He's like, there's a hell lot more important things going on in.
Speaker 2: The world than this. I'm dealing with that.
Speaker 3: So but you know, these Big ten and SEC senators Ryan, they're kind of waiting on the conferences. So really the the SEC and Big ten are are deciding and they can't decide what they want.
Speaker 1: You've talked to us a lot over the years about like if you're having contract talks or whatever, you gotta have leverage. Well, SEC in a big ten, they've got a lot of leverage when it comes to this.
Speaker 3: And they also have some senators in So to give you an example, Georgia is a state that's kind of a swing state. Uh North Carolina, while not in the SEC borders, it kind of a swing state.
Speaker 2: Then you look at the Big ten.
Speaker 3: Michigan's a swing state, Wisconsin's of swing state, Pennsylvania's a swing state.
Speaker 2: Ohio's the swing state.
Speaker 3: So these senators are like, we're not gonna go against our conference, so you need to tell us what you want, and they can't seem to tell them. So that's the backdrop of what's happening on what is the most important piece of rules that will exist for college football? All right, what county are we on?
Speaker 2: We are on Campbell County. Man, that is the Northern Kentucky, the Campbell County, Campmebl's it's right, Yeah, let's talk about it.
Speaker 5: Northern Kentucky formed in seventeen ninety four, two years after Kentucky was officially a state. It's the nineteenth county from parts of Scott, Harrison, and Mason Counties. Back in the day, the county was much larger when it was first created and included all of what are now Boon, Kenton, and Pendleton Counties.
Speaker 3: So when our minds drew when we think of Northern Kentucky, we think it's all one county.
Speaker 2: It once was.
Speaker 4: Yeah, what he said, it took parts of Scott. I didn't play out in my head, But that makes sense. Not so that was used to be a very big county.
Speaker 5: It was Campbell County was named after John Campbell, a Revolutionary War soldier, Kentucky legislator, and one of the writers of the Kentucky Constitution. The population of about ninety five thousand. It has two county seats.
Speaker 3: I mean it has ninety five thousand people. Yes, yes, I didn't rise it was that big. What are the county seats?
Speaker 5: Alexandria and Newport. The size of the county has changed so much that they've gone back and forth in the cities, and Newport felt disrespected, so they officially made both of them the county seats.
Speaker 2: I think that's I think they should have to choose duel. Spring back the duels. So do they have the court? Is the courthouse in both cities? Two courthouses?
Speaker 5: Well, it was originally, I believe in Newport, and then it changed because the size of the county changed, and then Newport was like, hey, we want we still want to be the county seat.
Speaker 2: So who has the courthouse now? I'm not sure? Okay, both of them, thank you for figuring that both have one. They might able courthouse. But when we talk about Newport.
Speaker 5: I think most people know about the time period between nineteen thirty and nineteen sixty where Newport became a nationwide hub for illegal gambling, prostitution, and organized crime, all in a city run by the mob.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't want to skip over this. I mean a lot of people know it, but not everybody knows it. Newport at one point was like the wildest city in America. I don't know if any of you are old enough here to remember, but like I mean, the stories about Newport. I read a bunch of stories for the book. They're crazy, Like the mayor of Cincinnati once was found with like a prostitute and a hotel in Newport, and then they found out that the mob had set him up. And this was like that sounds like something that would have happened in the twenties. It was like in the early seventies. It wasn't that long ago. There was gambling. It was considered like there was a time that it was considered like the craziest place in America that people Jimmy Hoffa and all those people would come to Newport. And when Vegas got too big time, everybody moved to Newport. And it was only like in the early seventies when they kind of cleaned it up.
Speaker 4: I read a whole book just about the fire at that dinner party, and turns out I had friends from that area whose parents were That was a little later, But I'm saying, like, it's not that long ago. I have friends with his parents were there that night. You think of just something that was so long ago.
Speaker 2: But they had like big time shows.
Speaker 3: Like if you go look at the artists that have played in Newport, just to give you an example, like the Rolling Stones.
Speaker 2: Have played in Newport. Ray Charles played in Newport, like.
Speaker 3: These like massive acts played these places in Newport because they had so much money that they could just bring in these massive groups to Newport, Kentucky.
Speaker 1: I think if you had to say, what was the cedious town in the history of Kentucky, it's Newport with everything.
Speaker 3: I mean, I think it was one of the cedious towns. But then if you go now, you would have no idea.
Speaker 2: All they got the aquarium. Now it's they have the aquarium.
Speaker 3: They're on the like it's like all the even now every Bengals football player except like a handful of the richest ones. They all live in Newport. I'm somebody told me they think Elie de la Cruz lives in Newport, although nobody's for sure like that like Newport now, it's just a it's crazy.
Speaker 5: These illegal casinos and brothels opened, operated openly with local police and government corruption.
Speaker 2: It was known as the Sin City. There's got to be a movie at some point, Drew made about Newport, Kentucky. Take a lot of different angles. Yeah, I would love to see it anyway.
Speaker 5: Going out to Drew's point, one of the more prominent upscale entertainment venues was called Beverly Hills Supper Club. It opened in the nineteen thirties, but it later became the site of one of the deadliest nightclub fires in United States history. On May twenty eighth, nineteen seventy seven. One hundred and sixty five people died due to a severe overcrowding, lack of sprinkler system, and locked or blocked exits. The fire led to sweeping nationwide reform and modern fire safety code, building regulations, and occupancy enforcement.
Speaker 3: I believe Ryan it is the worst most amount of people killed in a like public event fire ever in United States history.
Speaker 1: I believe one of the saddest days in our Kentucky history was that night, you know punk when my good friends his parents passed away in that fire. I mean, it's just devastating that John Davidson was there, was the entertainment.
Speaker 3: Davidson, good call, former host of Hollywood Squares. He was the he was the entertainer of the night. But it was in nineteen seventy seven, and you can read on the internet, you can see stories. It's a fascinating story, and it's one of these things that like if ten different little things had gone differently, like one little thing and everything might have been all right. But just like one bad decision Ryan after another, and you ended up with that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think it credit a cook that came in into the ballroom and alerted what was going on. It could have been a lot worse.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it could have been.
Speaker 3: I think there were a thousand people in the building at the time, so it could have been even worse, But go ahead.
Speaker 5: Campbell County is also home to the most haunted night club in America, Bobby Mackie's Music World, a honkey talk located in Wilder, Kentucky, owned by the country singer Bobby Mackie. Mackie claims the site was originally used as a slaughter house in the early nineteenth century. Modern folklore claims that the site features a gateway to Hell and is haunted by spirits, including Pearl Brian, an Indiana woman whose body was found near Fort Thomas, a national story at the time of her death in eighteen ninety se.
Speaker 2: So does it still exist? I believe so, Yes, you believe. So. You just said I.
Speaker 3: Don't know, I don't know.
Speaker 2: I know. It's always like like that.
Speaker 3: He initially answers it, drew confidently, and then acknowledges that he has no idea.
Speaker 5: I'm very confident about what I know. But what I don't I don't know.
Speaker 3: But you said, you're confident what you know, but what you don't you don't. But you will say you know it even if you don't.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's a character content.
Speaker 5: In nineteen sixty eight, the Kentucky State Government recognized that the Northern Kentucky region as one of the largest populations in the United States without a four year higher learning institution. The first semester of Northern Kentucky State College was the fall of nineteen seventy. Today, it has fifteen thousand students on its campus.
Speaker 2: Oh right, so it's not that old. Just since nineteen.
Speaker 5: Seven, correct, Yeah, originally in Covington, Kentucky. They moved it to the Highlands Heights where it's at now.
Speaker 2: Nice basketball arena there is, yea Ryan, very nice nice. Yeah, it's very nice arena. Yeah.
Speaker 1: They did their Division one now so they've moved up.
Speaker 2: Well, we played them in the tournament. Well long ago? Was that is that Fox?
Speaker 3: And actually I think you're right. I think that's that's Carson. I think it was Fox and Monk. Good call, good memory.
Speaker 2: And one more thing before we get to the people.
Speaker 5: This week is the second of two weekends each year where the people of northern Kentucky celebrate the Newport Getta Fest.
Speaker 2: Get A is a German.
Speaker 5: Breakfast sausage made from pork, beef, onions, and other seasonings.
Speaker 2: Gliers.
Speaker 5: Geta Fest began in two thousand and one as a small gathering celebrating Cincinnati's favorite sausage and has grown to an eight day riverfront tradition.
Speaker 2: You can try over.
Speaker 5: Fifty different Getta dishes, including the most popular, Aunt Mabel's Macaroni.
Speaker 2: Sound have you guys ever eaten ghetta any of it. It's proud of it. It's it's why do they like it? It's the worst thing, just part of tradition there. Believe they really like it though it's my friends love it that are from there.
Speaker 4: But I think they put other stuff in the sausage to make it last longer, like oats and stuff to stretch out the portions for the It's terrible.
Speaker 3: If you ever get a chance to eat it. Run all right, we'll do your people here in justice. Second, we got to take a break. We'll be right back. Final segment, and a little basketball news right here at the last minute. This is KSR.
Speaker 2: Water Back. It is Kentucky Schwartz Radio.
Speaker 3: One person writes in about Billy's comments.
Speaker 2: Billy is correct.
Speaker 3: Bobby Mackie's was nationally known as one of the most haunted places in the country, and the gateway to Hell.
Speaker 2: That's not nationally known. That's not He says that, like it's fact. I believe there's another gateway to Hell. You can't. Mackie's is the one pearl no person rights.
Speaker 3: I love Billy's facts, but he's good at headlines and not details. Bobby max Backi's was torn down years ago.
Speaker 5: Well, we're learning that together. But at one time, the one time, it was very hot time.
Speaker 7: Right.
Speaker 3: Tony Romo, by the way, placed on leave by CBS Sports for his drunk driving. That surprises me a little bit, but probably the right decision.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I thought he'd give a game or two suspension. This we were saying during the break, if JJ Watt's taking a spot that he might give I get that back.
Speaker 3: That's exactly exactly right, all right, the people real quick from Campbell Camp.
Speaker 5: The only Major League Baseball player to have been elected to both the MLB Hall of Fame and elected to the United States Senate pitcher Jim Bunning.
Speaker 2: Jim Bunning is from south care He's from where Southgate.
Speaker 3: Okay, Yes, major Hall of Famer and Senator, I believe. Yeah, he's trying to think if there's any other senator that's in the Hall of Fame of their sport.
Speaker 2: Bill Bratt was is in the Hall of Fame.
Speaker 3: I believe for basketball. Basketball might be it. I can't think of another one.
Speaker 2: Teperville is not in the college. Teville is not in the Hall of Tarame. I don't TERRK. Dooley, he already lost.
Speaker 3: He was a governor. He wasn't a senator, so I don't think that to get all right? Who else?
Speaker 5: Film producer Lucien Hubbard won an Academy Award in nineteen twenty seven for Wings. That is the first film to ever receive the Best Picture.
Speaker 3: Award, and that person was from Newport correct huh or from Campbell County. One time we had to watch Wings. I don't recommend it. Absolutely not a terrible movie. All right, Draft Kings go to DraftKings dot com. Bat five you can win up to two hundred dollars in bonus bats Live Familia against the evil Davis Steele.
Speaker 2: Corporation from Russell County. What do you got?
Speaker 4: Well, first of all, we're a two and a half point favorite on DraftKings. It's already up. That's how excited they are. Not make us play around, but we'll get it done. I ain't get this close and have the atmosphere you're gonna have on Sunday without finishing the job. So I say, law Familia wins the chicken.
Speaker 3: As Willie Cole, I don't understand how DraftKings puts the I mean, thank you DraftKings for all your sport there. I can't believe they do this game, because hey, how in the world could you know? And b who's betting on David Steele? Like, isn't everyone betting on Like?
Speaker 4: We've been a home underdog twice. I cashed in pretty good on that one.
Speaker 3: I wish someone had told me that the Kansas team had been on a bus until four am.
Speaker 2: I would have bet heavy on Law Familiar.
Speaker 1: They totally waxed Kansas, A good Kansas team, they waxed him. It was twenty point game most of the game. They win this one. They've cut down the net. Their champions are gonna hang out.
Speaker 2: Oh that's do they cut down the Nats if they were going will they have a one shining moment?
Speaker 4: Actually, there might be something that works with KSR on that.
Speaker 2: Really.
Speaker 4: Steven's been hard at working the lab just in case.
Speaker 2: Nice. Oh, we were talking with the ball. We were pointing up at Mamre where the banner will go.
Speaker 4: I feel like they got to recognize it in there somewhere there's Chagari.
Speaker 2: I'm going Law Familiar. Of course.
Speaker 5: It's gonna be a great atmosphere, memorial and storybook like finish.
Speaker 2: When Archie hits the game winner, yeah, I would love it.
Speaker 3: I would love if Archie or Khalil the got the final thing that would be cool. I'm gonna pick a lot familiar why not and one o'clock on Sunday go join them.
Speaker 2: Apparently lower bowls sold out, but up you.
Speaker 3: Still got great seats everywhere in Memorial Also Monday, my ESPN show debuts. A lot of people have asked where you can listen to it. If you go to iHeart, just google a ESPN radio you'll be able to listen to it there. Also on the ESPN app, you'll be able to see the background of my studio.
Speaker 2: In my house. Don't forget your belt. You told me right, I will bring the belt with me. I'm very much looking forward to it. I won't be able to talk much about it.
Speaker 3: Monday because we will be at media Day, but really looking forward to it. All the folks around like places like this home to Swites who helped make that happen. I will do my best to make you proud on the national stage and we will be I guarantee you we will be talking a lot of cats and hopefully they don't let me down this year.
Speaker 4: Looking forward to your regular weekday gig. I'll be listening and looking forward to us going to Krogerfield twice in three shows.
Speaker 3: I mean, we will be at UK Media Day on Monday. It will be for those of other football fans. We'll talk a little TBT, but it'll be mostly UK football all day long as we will have guests coming in and out throughout the show. Thank you all very much here at Home to Sweets. We appreciate it. Haf a great weekend. This has been Kentucky Sports Radio