Speaker 1: I mean, that's not I want everybody in the cabin now loft meeting.
Speaker 2: Meeting today.
Speaker 3: We're talking about episode two twenty called Chicago, a city that Lamore knows nothing about, so prepare to be educated.
Speaker 1: It's only the greatest city in the world. And it's like, if you go and look up like those surveys and it says greatest cities in the world, Chicago is always number one. So I'm just putting it out there.
Speaker 2: Survey one person named Lamour and Morris.
Speaker 1: The survey says.
Speaker 2: I would, By the way, that's my dream to host that show.
Speaker 1: You want to host that show?
Speaker 2: I would love to host that show.
Speaker 1: As Steve if you can guess host. I know you guys are friends Steve.
Speaker 2: And I've never met Steve. If you ever retired, he.
Speaker 1: Wan't too good. He eating too good for me.
Speaker 3: No, but one day, Look, I could hosted in twenty years. I'm a longtime fan, longtime fan, longtime watcher, longtime listener.
Speaker 1: Same here. I love the family Feud and I love it for Steve. So if you would never host it, I don't know I would. I'm you're kidding me, Yeah, absolutely.
Speaker 2: Can you imagine if Steve ever retired.
Speaker 3: But we did a two host format and then we would be like on each side to go like down.
Speaker 2: You know, it'd be great.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you could host. I'll be like the audience correspondent. I'll just the camera would just pan to me. Every once in a while, I'll go, Mmmm, that ain't right. Hi, y'all crazy? That's what I would do.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the reinvention. Okay, well twenty years Yeah, Chicago.
Speaker 1: Let's dive right in. You want to take this one?
Speaker 2: Yes, how did jess somehow get this? I thought this when I watched this.
Speaker 3: How did just somehow get a perfectly fitting Elvis costume in Chicago?
Speaker 2: The one they had but the.
Speaker 3: Other guy would have been ginormous on her from Ellie, that's just movie magic. That's a movie magic because you had to sell it. You had to sell it. You know. Maybe she put some clothes bins in the back or something, but yes, that's a totally different suit made for.
Speaker 1: Zoe or what we could do. What we could say is, you know backstory wise that she knew. So what she did was she would care that's a very Jessica day thing and prepped it and said, just in case I'm going to have a backup Elvis costume. But that's not what happened.
Speaker 3: That's how it happened. But I liked that theory in terms of like in the story.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but Deborah Maguire made two costumes for sure, one big one.
Speaker 2: That's it all right, next one?
Speaker 1: Okay, Hi, I have a question for the pod episode two twenty Chicago. Was it really Dennis Farina in the casket or a fake body? Thanks so much love the podcast. Rifka is it Rifka, Rika, No, that was I'm just gonna I was just gonna say Dennis did not sign up to lie in a casket.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm gonna say no too.
Speaker 1: No, it wasn't him a doppelganger. Yeah, no, I'm gonna go ahead and say that was not Dennis lying in that casket. In fact, I remember we were from a distance when you were looking at it. Like when I got there, I was like, oh man, that's that whoever, that's whoever was in there, looks exactly like him. Yeah, you know, and I think even at one point from wide shots it's just a fake. It's like a it's a body mannequin that's in there. Yeah. Nope, no, no, no, nope. Okay, next question, Hi from Chicago, Yeah, big big letters, Hi from Chicago. Bt W Was the Chicago episode actually filmed in Chicago? I know, La Mourn, You're from there and so is Jake. So was curious or was it filmed in La Slash somewhere else from Samantha. No, not in Chicago. We in fact, we shot that in all to Dina, all to Dona, California. And I remember it because as we were driving through, we just kept talking about how beautiful the houses were, you know, Jake, Zoe. And at one point, I want to say, Jake said, oh man, this is a great neighborhood, Like I could see myself living over here. And I want to say he ended up near is near? Yeah near, He's on that part of and that part of La that town, that part of you know, the city.
Speaker 2: I mean.
Speaker 3: The real fact is that New Girl never shot out of La Yeah, like in the surrounding communities, Like we never traveled.
Speaker 2: I remember that.
Speaker 3: Remember like the year before, didn't Modern Family do an episode in Hawaii or something like it used to be? And like literally, just like the small previous generation of sitcoms, there was always like a destination episode where they would shoot somewhere else.
Speaker 2: I don't know why.
Speaker 3: Maybe they show had done well enough and they gave like a little.
Speaker 2: Retreat and they said, go shoot in a fun place.
Speaker 3: But New Girl never never shot outside of La never ever.
Speaker 1: But boy did we help. We did.
Speaker 3: Boy, we really thought I think it was modern family went to Hawaii the year before, and then our show came out, and then it hit and it was doing really well. We thought like, ooh, I wonder where they're gonna send us. It almost felt like a given that we were going to get to go somewhere, and then it just never happened, like just things change and economies changed, and it just I guess switched and we never got to go and shoot somewhere else.
Speaker 1: Yeah, now I know we could have went to Kenya, Cape Town, well, Johannesburg Action Yeah.
Speaker 2: No, no, no, the fans were there, but no.
Speaker 1: All right.
Speaker 3: Next one is a baggy I cannot wait to hear you guys talk about the Chicago opener Pete comedy. That juxtaposition between Nick's news and the gang's voices gets me every time. The Helium by far some of the best lines and scenes in this one, I know, CC isn't in it, but between Winston pretending to be dead and then Schmid calling him a ghool, to Schmid hiding behind the door when Nick comes in after having one dozen beers, Winston saying, am I right? And looking at Nick just right when he does it to Schmidt and the casket scene perfection. Oddly enough, though, I always fast forward through the part where just sings. I don't know if it's just that I don't particularly like that Elvis song, but I cringe every time that part starts. How many of the scenes I mentioned actually were scripted or were they more ad libbed? How many takes did you all have to go through on some of those hilarious scenes? Love the inside look at the show on the podcast. I'm so happy I can stream it because watching it when it was on those six seasons just wasn't enough. Six seasons, seven seasons. I guess we did six in a bit, six in a bit. Love the show from Katie.
Speaker 1: Katie, Katie, what if this is interesting, Hanna? What if Katie just didn't know about the seventh season and hasn't seen it? Katie, Katie, I got news for you.
Speaker 2: Wow. Hidden eight seventh season, Hidden eight episodes just list laying around. You should find them, Katie.
Speaker 3: If you haven't found them, you should find them.
Speaker 2: Yeah they're great.
Speaker 1: Wow, Yeah, let's talk. Okay, So how many of the scenes I mentioned actually scripted or were they just ad libbed? How many takes did you all have to go through on some of those hilarious scenes. So when I was sitting in bed and I was pretending to be dead with with Schmidt, a lot of stuff didn't make the cut. And because Max was just improvising a ton because I'm just lying there and he's doing all this stuff and you know, he's being max full Max, and a lot of times I'm laughing. So we have to when it's on my coverage, you have to keep redoing it and retaking it. So on that I can't tell you exactly how many takes, but we went through a lot that was true for and typical for our show period, and in general, we would go through a lot of different takes because honestly, it's just a cast of a bunch of funny people and when we get together, our goal on the day, yes, is to get the scene done, but it's also to make each other laugh to it, to have fun, and I think we all do a great job of kind of messing with each other. So on that scene, I could tell you it took a lot. That opening moment when we're talking with the helium balloons and you got Bill Burr going in on you know, not the opening one, but the opening one wants to get to the Chakai.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean it was like an all star stand up comedy past.
Speaker 2: Like they let him go.
Speaker 3: They let him go and improv and ad lib and get and it supposed to be a family dynamic, right, and you want that to feel authentic, so a lot of improv.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I had the most fun just kind of being around that environment and being a part of people who are considered legends, you know what I mean, Like those actors are considered legends in the comedy realm, and to say you were a part of something like that is fantastic. And then Jake was there too. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And that opening scene with the helium it does get me. I really love that moment.
Speaker 3: It does make me laugh because it's just all the nightmares. Your friend comes fully vulnerable and pours their heart out with the most terrible news to you, and what can you do? Saying nothing makes you look like a jerk. You gotta say something, But saying something with a helium voice, Yeah, there's.
Speaker 1: No way out, no way out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Chicago.
Speaker 3: That would have been cool if you guys had got to shoot it in Chicago.
Speaker 1: You know what's crazy. I wanted to and obviously I wanted to, and I thought when we read it, that's what was going to happen.
Speaker 3: I remember that. I remember when we read it. I remember you asking, you were like, do we get to go?
Speaker 1: Yeah? And you know, and obviously that didn't happen. But what they did was they brought in so they have these snow machines that will shoot fake snow all over the trees and over the ground. And then they would take these blankets of cotton and just like wrap certain trees in it and wrap like certain lawns in this to make it look like it was the dead of winter in Chicago. Uh. And and some of the houses, like I said, in that Alta Dina area do resemble certain parts, especially like the North side of Chicago, certain parts of that area. And yeah, I think I think they did a great job of making it feel that way and looked that way even when they cast like Nick crawled hexs funny, so so funny. But yeah, it was.
Speaker 3: Great, great episode, What a great episode. Thank you for these great questions. We love holding these loft meetings.
Speaker 2: Yes witch, Yeah, all right, that's the show. Join us on Tuesday.
Speaker 3: D recap season two episode twenty one, First Date.
Speaker 1: That's right. Go to our website check out our latest merch. You can also follow us on Instagram at the mess Around Pod. That's where you can go. You can leave comments, questions, concerns, or if you have a question, or you want to leave us a voicemail, you can email us also at the mess Around Pod at gmail dot com. That's the mess Around Pod at gmail dot com. Love youa hie nie. That was the mess around. This has been an iHeartMedia production. Our executive producer is Joel Monique. Our engineer and editor is Mia Taylor. Additional production from Daniel Goodman, Wendy Heisler, and Kyle Our theme song was written and composed by Ronald Jukebox Jackson. So We're gonna catch you next time. Bye, m m hm