Speaker 1: You are listening to the Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 2: Well that was close. Come on in, It's a Friday. It's our one, Dan and the Dan. That's Dan Patrick Show. We get all exhale now one of the greatest halbs fourth quarters of basketball that we've ever seen.
Speaker 3: We'll recap that coming up. We'll take you back to Paris.
Speaker 2: We'll talk to one of the writers who was there as we try to search for answers there of how do you get down seventeen to begin with, all right, it's a meat Friday. In case you're wondering, I know you are smoked BLT sandwiches. I think BLTs might be in the top five underrated sandwiches of all time. Smoked BLT sandwiches on the trigger also beer battered onion rings. Todd wanted onion rings because it's the Olympic onion rings. So we're going to have our own there. That's our meat Friday. Who has it better than we do? No, It's out of the day, brought to you by Panini America, the official trading cards of the program, and Rapid Radio.
Speaker 4: Boy.
Speaker 3: These have been a big hit here.
Speaker 2: Instant push to talk walkie talkies offering national LTE coverage, no subscription, no monthly fees. Business owners keep in touch with up to two hundred staff members at one time. Go to Rapid Radios dot com sixty percent off free shipping. Good morning if you're watching on Peacock. Thank you for allowing us into your homes and our radio affiliates around the country. iHeartRadio, Fox Sports Radio Poll question Play of the day, stat of the day coming up. Team USA escapes Serbia. And this is how it sounded at the end of the game.
Speaker 3: Bechuck, it's gotta have to hurry.
Speaker 4: Volkonovitch puts it up short of the United States trailing by as many as seventeen.
Speaker 5: Good.
Speaker 6: I just want the looker meet the game, to.
Speaker 7: Hit pass into the gold medal game ninety five ninety one.
Speaker 3: Your final scores is Steph Curry.
Speaker 8: Magnificent twenty six points and.
Speaker 6: Heart break for Serbia.
Speaker 2: Noah Eagle with the call on NBC with Dwayne Wade Team USA. Seven minutes ago. You're down eleven and you're searching for answers, and Dwayne Wade sent something really interesting. He said, forget your offense here, pick and roll. That's it. And there were times when Kevin Durant said, I don't even need the pick. I'm going to go, and that's probably a new way of saying I don't need the pick, but I'm going to roll, and he certainly did. Steph Curry was wonderful, but I was worried that he was great in the first half and they were getting blown out and then all of a sudden, Lebron became Lebron and KD hit some big buckets there. Devin Booker, Joe Ellenbiid played really well. I think the big difference was the defense in the second half, because the first half, Serbia was hitting shots. And if you're going to beat Team USA, we talked about this from the beginning, you have to hit threes. If you hit threes, you can stay in the game with them, and that's what Serbia did. Plus Joker got in foul trouble. He wasn't great yesterday day. And Lebron when he wants to get that full head of steam, there's nobody you can There's nobody who can stop him. Michael Jordan has even said, if Lebron gets going to the hoop going right, I couldn't stop him, and he's right. That's that's true. But Steph proving he's the best shooter who's ever played basketball, and KD is he just a sniper, He's just a bucket. But you're watching the game and I kept thinking, Okay, how did you get down seventeen? I know we can applaud them that they came back, and we thought at the beginning of the games, I said, if they're going to lose, it would probably be to France because it'd be a home court advantage of sorts. Now you got Rudy Gobert who's been benched, and Victor Winby Yama hasn't been really the star yet, but that's your gold medal game coming up. Here is Steph Curry after his historical performance.
Speaker 9: Is everything I imagine it to be. Obviously, this is my first go around in the Olympics. Know we were gonna get challenged by Gray Servia team and the half beat him three times. This summer was going to be tough. I just kind of got lost in the moment of understanding how big this stage is and what's a state for this team?
Speaker 6: And it was special.
Speaker 9: It was the most fun, you know, I've had a very long time, and you know, to dig deep like we did with this group and get a win special. So I'm kind of basking in that right now. And obviously, no, we got another tough challenge France on our home court.
Speaker 2: So Steph was nine to fourteen from three point range, finished with thirty six. That's one shy of Carmelo's US Olympic record set against Nigeria, and Melo was their court side. But Lebron had another triple double, the only player in Olympic men's basketball history with multiple triple doubles. When he wants to, he can still be the best player on the floor. It's just he can't be that consistently. And you saw that. You've seen that so far.
Speaker 4: But he won.
Speaker 3: When he wants to. He can still do what.
Speaker 2: Very, very very few players can still do, even at his age of thirty nine. So now you got Team USA going against France for the gold. It was fun, but should it be that close? And I'll give credit to Serbia And Charles Barkley said it yesterday. He said, this worries me. This game worries me because he thought Serbia was mailing in the first two times they faced Team USA. And he was right because they're not going to show their hands. It didn't matter until you get to the knockout round. So what Charles was saying was true. Serbia was sort of going, yeah, let's go through the motions here, Oh we got beat okay, and then you get into that moment when the game really matters, and you could tell Serbia knew let's get him, get on top of them early and make them panic a little bit. And Team USA didn't panic.
Speaker 7: Yes, Marv, the first half was like watching the Denver Nuggets game where it's like, stop doubling him, Caldwell, Pope is killing you.
Speaker 3: Why would you leave him?
Speaker 7: That's exactly what it was like in the first I couldn't believe they kept doubling him.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well you picked your poison with him. And guess who was guarding Joker down the stretch. In the fourth quarter, Lebron and Joker got in foul trouble once again. You get five foulsand international play. He didn't dominate the game at any point, but there's always that threat of he could. But they never allowed him to have one of those Joker like triple doubles where he's getting you know, thirty twenty and fifteen, but they hit big shots and I expect them to beat France. I'm curious though, the philosophy. I'd like to know what Steve Kerr is going to say to them right before the gold medal game. Hey, guys, how about we take the lead after the first quarter? How about we lead a halftime here?
Speaker 6: All right?
Speaker 2: Because there were a lot of people on social media they had already given the victory to Serbia and Steve Kerr getting out coach. I mean, it was everything Lebron's. They were calling him because if they were going to lose, that they were going to get the Bron. I was like, wow, boy that and then it and it changed quickly, James quickly, Yes, Pauling.
Speaker 10: I have kind of a two part question. When there's about eight nine minutes left, I didn't think it looked good for USA. It looked really bad clearly, and I was like, I don't think they're going to pull us off. And I started thinking about who's going to get the blame tomorrow on shows like ours, and it would have been the biggest topic in our country obviously. How what level of a career undoing would have been for Steve Kerr as a basketball coach.
Speaker 2: Pretty big because once again he benched Jason Tatum and oh my gosh, does he know what he's doing? And Joel Embiid and put him on the bench. And I think it would have been Steve Kerr, followed closely by Lebron James, because he would have been labeled Lebron's as he was was that two thousand and four that they got the bronze medal, and he his Lebron's James. But I would say Steve Kerr because I think a lot of people were very critical of his coaching, his rotations here and you saw that again yesterday. So seventeen point come back win over Serbia, you get Lebron at thirty nine years. Here's another thing. I've been around all these sports and Olympics for such a long period of time. At one point yesterday in the fourth quarter, I just realized, I've got three of the greatest players that I've ever seen on the floor together.
Speaker 3: It's Lebron, it's Steph and KD. That's awesome, awesome.
Speaker 2: And Steph even talked about how they're too unselfish, because hey, I got the ball, I could throw it over to KD or there's Lebron. It's not one of those where you go, I got to take this on my own. But I'm watching that and just kind of taken in savoring the moment of we're seeing three of let's say, top ten, top twelve, fifteen players of all time. Certainly with the Lebron, Steph KD they could all be in the top ten where they're all said and done. But when you're looking at that, and you're looking and it's a snapshot of the last fifteen years been treated to some great basketball. I mean, these are all timers and hitting big shots. That's what you want. But Steph Curry doing what he's doing, and there's nobody else on the planet like him. But then there's nobody like Katie, and there's nobody like Lebron. Those are three unicorns in a game that doesn't produce many unicorns. There's a lot of wannabes. They want to be like somebody else. Those three are all different than anybody else who's played the game. And I took that in as almost like a postcard from Paris. You're seeing those three on the floor and we won't see that again. And this is Steph's first Olympics, which people still go, No, that can't be true.
Speaker 6: It is.
Speaker 2: Getting caught up on international play. Your first Olympics, you're down seventeen and he was the star until he needed help and he got help. But Steve Kerr talked about the win afterwards. Do we have Steve Kerr Kevin Durant, Okay, we'll take Kevin Durant.
Speaker 11: We dug deep then down fifteen that late in the game. I think we were down with fifteen with like eleven seconds to go in the third and the fourth quarter. Dominance that we showed. I think we won with thirty four to fifteen fourteen, and by our defense and getting out and running transition be barely called players. We just played off of each other. Well, Steph Curry, we talked about each game somebody, it might somebody have to step up. It might be a night. And he came and had the best night out of anybody the whole tournament. So incredible to watch him knockdown shots to keep US afloat bron playing extremely hard the whole game. It was incredible. Man, Joel was insane to night. I just love what everybody did.
Speaker 2: I like when somebody who's great compliments somebody who's great, when Katie is just saying, look at Steph, look at Lebron, look at Joel Embiid, while he also was great as well, but to be able to see something like that, the talent that's out there, but also produce as well. The women's basketball team is giving fifteen to Australia. If you're following that, I was curious Jason Tatum didn't play again. His MVP odds next season are far better than Steph Curry's, Kevin Durantz, Anthony Davis, Devin Booker and Lebron James. All these guys here, I mean crazy, but you're still looking at that rotation and I thought, boy, if they lose and Jason Tatum doesn't play, Steve Kerr is gonna get torn up again and it will be on Lebron as well.
Speaker 7: Yes, Mark, the over under for Jason Tatum against the Warriors this season is forty five and a half.
Speaker 3: No, it's not.
Speaker 7: He's about to go off against Golden State.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but what is Jalen Brown's over under? One hundred and fourteen and a half. He's going, yeah, seton.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 12: I feel like Steve Kerr is already getting it anyway just because the games are close.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, that's one of those where I think Steve's like, I need a gold to take back to Golden State.
Speaker 3: He done with this.
Speaker 2: Let somebody else take over as the coach of Team USA.
Speaker 3: What's the poll question today? Their Seaton.
Speaker 2: By the way, we'll talk to Joe Varden from the Athletic he was there watching the game in Paris. He'll join us coming up in about ten minutes. What do you have here, marv or Seaton.
Speaker 12: Let's see we could start with tougher result yesterday, Noah Lyles or Serbia.
Speaker 2: I would say Noah Lyles from the standpoint of he didn't have a chance because he was sick. Serbia had a chance. They were up seventeen. That'd be seventeen, yes, Noah Lyles. If he was head by ten meters and lost, that would be like Serbia. But he was sick and ended up with the bronze, so which is what Serbia is going to end up with as well.
Speaker 12: Which is actually pretty remarkable that he had COVID and still won bronze.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I would Serbia was leading, Noah Lyles was struggling the entire time, in the two hundred meters in an event that he was favored to win Serbia wasn't favored to win.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Paulie, I.
Speaker 10: Would love to hear a sports radio show in Serbia this morning. They just eviscerating their coat. They have to have it. It's a big country, right. But the thing with Noah Lyles though the COVID situation with him, there was about a fifteen minute window after the race where he was getting ripped up on social media and other people. He was boastful before the race. He said this race was going to be a joke and a laugher and things like this, and for about fifteen minutes before people found out he had COVID and he was disabled to some point for that race. He was taking a beating anyway, and then it got muted after they found out he was ill.
Speaker 2: Yeah, softened a little bit. What I love about the two hundred meters in all races is when they make the turn, where are you on the turn? And you'll hear some of the announcers, the analyst Auto Bolden, Hey, if you're not in front of the turn, you're going to get smoked. Because certain runners get out quick, get out early, and then you always have those runners that have the late kick, and I love watching that you make the turn and once again I go back and I know I'm on repeat here when I watch you, Saint Bolt make the turn in London and then you realized, oh my god, it is over.
Speaker 3: I even said that to my wife.
Speaker 2: So they're probably one hundred meters in and I say it's over, and she goes, wait, they're done. I go, no, the race is over because where Usain Bolt was on the turn, you just knew. And that's what's amazing. Some of these runners know if I don't get out and if I can see them, I'm in trouble. And that was the case with you, Saint Bolt. All right, let me take a break. Phone calls always welcome. Operator Tyler sitting by eight seven seven three DP show. And I didn't even get to the guest list here JJ what well, John is coming up top a next hour, Bob Costas will stop by as well, back from Paris, and we'll talk about the NFL rankings, the top one hundred players and why some of those rankings are just flat out silly.
Speaker 3: So take a break. We're back after this Dan Patrick Show.
Speaker 1: Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the nation. Catch all of our shows at foxsports Radio dot com and within the iHeartRadio app. Search FSR to listen live.
Speaker 13: Hey, it's me Rob Parker. Check out my weekly MLB podcast, Inside the Parker for twenty two minutes of piping hot baseball talk, featuring the biggest names of newsmakers in the sport. Whether you believe in analytics or the I test, We've got all the bases covered. New episodes drop every Thursday, So do yourself a favor and listen to Inside the Parker with Rob Parker on the Iheartbreak or wherever you get your podcast.
Speaker 3: Your phone calls are welcome.
Speaker 2: Eight seven to seven three DP show Settle on a poll question is well, JJ Watt top of the hour and Bob Constius will stop by a little bit later on as well. He's Joe Varden from the Athletic He's been covering Team USA over in Paris during the Summer Olympics. Joe, if I was sitting next to you with seven minutes to go and Team USA was down eleven, what would you be saying.
Speaker 5: Well, I wouldn't be saying anything because I had my head buried in the laptop writing about how this collection of all time legendary NBA greats players and coaches had collectively failed and that USA basketball was heading into a extended period of soul searching with the LA Olympics coming up and them not being defending champions. That was the scenario, guys. They were dominated. Even when they made that little push there in the third quarter to cut it to six, it was right back up to fifteen with thirty seconds left. Ridiculous four point play. So what happened from the seven minute mark in was once in a lifetime type stuff.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's what I wonder.
Speaker 2: It's nice to applaud them that they did come back, but how do they get down seventeen in the first place?
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think it's it's a lesson. How don't mean to go on too long here, but I do think what happened last night is a lesson for anyone who's not paying attention about how much the game has changed. And it answered a question that we didn't have an answer to coming into these Olympics, which is can the USA continue to just flood the talent or the court with talent and guarantee themselves a gold medal. The answer is no, they can't do that anymore.
Speaker 6: Now.
Speaker 5: They may very well win tomorrow night, But what we learned is that a team built around just one superstar, with one competent shooter and in Bogie Bogdanovic, and then role players who are who are solid EuroLeague role players, they can dictate the pace of play against anybody. And so what we saw last night, I believe was awesome and I think you were alluding to it at the top, because you see these four, these four former MVPs, they're on the court together and they had to do this. They they all had to play as well as they could possibly play to beat Serbia, and I think that is af I think that that is a positive, defining moment for them and for the game at large, because it does speak to how far the rest of the world has come.
Speaker 3: Who was going to take the heat if Team USA had lost.
Speaker 5: You you hit it. You were right on the money there. I mean, Kurr gets ripped every day, he gets ripped for not playing Tatum, which that one kind of is. I'm bewildered by it. But Steve gets ripped all the time. They didn't win at the World Cup last year either, so his path is very similar to Popovich's. You know, great all time NBA coach had it hard with Team USA. And then you said Lebron, I mean yeah, like I had it in the story. You know, he was headed for two bronze medals. That is just that's not a thing for USA basketball and that was going to be hung on him. And now he's got a chance for three goals, which is more than Michael you know, it's all time legendary stuff. And it was this close to going going the other way.
Speaker 3: And you look at these three players.
Speaker 2: I'm not putting em beat in there, but like we can, but I'm talking, you know what Lebron does. He's a unicorn. Nobody's been like KD and nobody's like Steph Curry. And you're seeing this unfold, but you're also seeing it unfold and you're going they have to be who they are to knock off Serbia, which to you know, what you're saying is a credit to basketball around the world. And I always worry about these guys who are fringe NBA players or maybe couldn't get into the NBA. This is their moment to show that they can play and I don't know, you know, the French team, like how dangerous are they going into this game after we just saw this close game?
Speaker 5: So there's a lot to discuss with this, and I want to start with it. I was here in January for ten days. I did a bunch of stuff. The Cavs and Nets were here and they like I. Since I knew I would be cover the Olympics and knew I was working on some international stories, I thought i'd come out here with them. And so in the process of all the reporting, I got a chance to sit down with Vincent Collette, who is the head coach for France, and he was Wembenya Thomas coach here with the Paris Metropolitans for that year before he was drafted in the NBA, and by French rule, if you're coaching the national team at the Olympics, you can't coach that year in the French league. So coach Collette was off for a year. And he said he'd been watching the NBA every night because of Wemby and then before those games, because they're on so late here, he was watching the EuroLeague and he said that he thinks there are at least four EuroLeague teams that could beat the Detroit Pistons and the Washington Wizards. His point is that that's how far the talent has come here in Europe to where it's getting a lot closer to soccer. We're like, yes, we have the Premier League, but then there's also great leagues in France and in Spain and whatever the case. Like, there are teams and there are players outside of the main sport playing country that can really compete. And so that's what happened with Serbia. And now you get to France and you look at their roster and it's got Wemby and so you think, okay, like he's their guy. Well they're two best players, and I'm sorry, Like the one I know because he used to play for the Celtics. The other guy his name, his name escapes me. He looks like in the face, kind of like our Darren Williams, but he's you know, he's a guard and he's physical and he's a EuroLeague player. But that doesn't mean what it used to. So like, the French do not have the talent that the United States has there they should be especially weak at the guard positions, but they have dictated the pace of play against two teams that are loaded with NBA talent, and they beat them both. Canada, to me, was always the team that could really scare the US because they have Shay Gilgess Alexander, who's as good as any player in the NBA, and then they had a bunch of role players who are all NBA level guys. They took care of They took care of Canada, and then you got Germany, defending World Cup champ. Dennis Shrewder dictates the pace of play in Foeba. He's got the Wagner brothers, Tice, a couple other guys. They France just out physicaled them. They shouldn't be able to do that to the US. They shouldn't be able to keep up with the pace that Lebron and Steph set. But if they do, then the crowd gets involved and it becomes another nervy moment. So we'll see if the US can avoid getting into France's style of play.
Speaker 2: We're talking to Joe Varden, joining us from Paris. He's NBA senior writer for The Athletic covering the Summer Olympics. How entertaining is the Joe ellenb versus France story to you.
Speaker 5: I mean I've written it, I don't know five times now. My reporting on this Dan goes all the way back to I was telling you in January. One of the stories I came back with is that the French federation on the record and they they had like receipts. They said that they helped him get a French passport because he told them to, because he wanted to play for them, and they were explicit about this. So it goes back at least that far that like the French, you know, the basketball Federation, the government, you know, President mccron called EMBIID to try to recruit him after the passport had been granted, and then the fans at large, like they know all this stuff, and so it's been fascinating to me to see their reaction to him, but then watch sort of the evolution of Joelle through this. He was he was startled the first game. He was also like really sick, which we didn't know until recently. You know, Grant Hill had told me that that Joel was so sick that day that he had to drive up the day of the game from Paris to Lele separately. But he was he seemed to be taken back by the booze, and then his teammates got his back and started waving the boos on with him, and then he started to shift his his commentary about what was going on. At one point he said he doesn't care if they boo. Then he said, well, I'm an American, uh, And I was always going to play for team USA. And then he said he hinted strongly that the USA players wanted him and the French players didn't. And now he said, well, you know, I love France, and I was always going to play for Cameroon if they if they qualified for the Olympics, but since they didn't, I picked the US. So it's to me what's been fun has been the evolution of the saga instead of just like, you know, Joel making the one inappropriate gesture and you know, fans yelling back like I don't care as much about that, but I've been intrigued to watch him bead handle all this.
Speaker 2: But this isn't quid pro quo that France will get you a passport, but will get you a passport but you must play for it.
Speaker 3: Is that what you think happened here?
Speaker 5: No, it was more like I mean, the recruitment goes back years by Boris Diao, you know, we know him well in the US, and the French Federation president, who we would not know in the US. But they were taking meetings with Joel, like in twenty twenty one, even to gauge his interest. And the reason why is for years before that he had stated in several French publications that he had interest in doing this. So they recruit him, and they recruit him, and according to them, they had gotten him to the point where he said, okay, I am going to play and they said, well, you need you need to be a French citizen to be on the team, and according to them, he said, okay, get me a passport. You know, Joel, through a spokesman, has denied this, has denied the quid pro quo. But it's it's it's hard to it's hard to believe that this isn't at least very close to true, especially because they're explicit the French Federation guys, they're explicit in that like this is not done in France. They are always playing guys who just are from this country period. Joel has never lived there. That they were making an exception for a truly great player who had at the time wanted to do it. So I think that's all real I do. And I think that you know, Joel's evolution from where he was and wanting to play for them and then ultimately picking the US, you know, is a fascinating saga too.
Speaker 2: Finished this sentence. If a team USA loses to France this weekend, do dot don.
Speaker 5: It's a failure, and it's a it's a it's a total reset and that is unfortunately. You know, I just got through talking to you this beautiful state of where we are as a basketball playing universe, and I believe all that I do. But at the same time, we haven't cleared that bar yet where anything other than gold is acceptable for USA. And the fact remains, Dan, this is a team with eleven All Stars on it. They've never done that before, and it is Lebron and it is KD and Steph altogether with MBT this this team has to win. Uh the twenty eight team. With the Olympics being in LA, the world's going to be even better France, like as we know, you know, we had Victor and kolbally drafted two years ago or last year, and then this summer we had four French guys picked in the top round of the NBA draft and none of them are on this team. So France is going to be great for a while, but the pressure will still be there in La. I think once we get past own La, it's going to be a different discussion, and we're going to look at it the way we do like a soccer World Cup or soccer Olympics, where there are a number of countries that can win regardless of who sent. But for now, all that stuff aside, the US has to get it done tomorrow.
Speaker 2: Great stuff, Joe, thanks for joining us. We appreciate your time anytime. Dan.
Speaker 3: You know that that's Joe.
Speaker 2: Varden, senior NBA writer for the athletic covering team USA. At the Summer Olympics. We may have to give back to the Statue of Liberty if we lose. I think that's only fair. Just get a boat and take it back and give it back to them.
Speaker 3: If we lose, just strap it on top.
Speaker 10: Yeah, like a like a mattress on top of an SUV.
Speaker 3: Twenty twenty eight is going to be interesting.
Speaker 2: As Joe pointed out, well, because you know is Lebron is going to be what forty three? Is he going to try to play? Steph Curry is going to be forty kd is he going to be forty one? You know this Baton exchange didn't happen because it was going to be like, you know, Anthony Edward's going to be there, and Devin Booker is going to be there, Jason Tatum and you know there is some young talent.
Speaker 3: We just it still comes back to game on the line.
Speaker 2: Steve Kerr goes, let me put these guys in and in four years He's right, France is going to be a monster. In four years they are Germany as well, and they'll be you know, Canada as well. So Team USA right now as opposed to in four years or eight years, m'd be a whole different landscape when it comes to playing for a gold medal.
Speaker 3: Yes, Paul, I don't know.
Speaker 10: About you, guys, but sounds like a guy who wants to be in the chair for that Olympics right here me four years from now? Or is this our last Olympics?
Speaker 3: This is our last Summer Games.
Speaker 2: I'm kind of like Lebron, I mean, I don't know, I'm holding on for Dear Life here.
Speaker 10: Never say never. Are we gonna have a closing ceremonies today?
Speaker 3: I'm holding on for Dear Life table. Yeah. I mean it's amazing. I show up every single day. It surprises me sometimes. Play of the Day up next.
Speaker 1: Be sure to catch the live edition of The Dan Patrick Show weekdays at nine a m. Eastern six a m. Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio wap oh My God.
Speaker 3: Of the Day, the Play of the Day, check the showtime.
Speaker 2: That's courtesy NBC. Lee Diffey struggled in the men's one hundred meter final. He has not struggled in his calls with some of these other events.
Speaker 3: He has been awesome.
Speaker 2: This is the sixth time she's broken her own world record. It almost looked like her hurdles were shorter than everybody else, Like it wasn't fair she was she was so far ahead of everybody. It's like, hey, you guys got to jump over hurdles that are this high. I get to jump over these little ones.
Speaker 3: Here.
Speaker 2: That's your Play of the Day, brought to you by King Sawaii, and they want you to get together with family and friends and enjoy the weekend. Making every Sunday A Slider Sunday Buddha in San Francisco.
Speaker 3: Good to have you back, Buddha. What's on your mind?
Speaker 6: Nobody?
Speaker 8: Happy to meet Friday boys, DP. I'm attacking this call with an enthusiasm unknown to mankind. Let's go, minister, if you were, Let's go baby.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 2: Dan, I got a.
Speaker 8: Little derailed by listening to the Jenny Batchie ballad and the archive looking like that is damn good.
Speaker 4: But I digress.
Speaker 8: Dan Usa survived the huge scare in the Ropodope Tactics from Serbia with some home cooking from Steph Curry wet Chef and Dan. The interviews this week were fire, I mean, Mike McDaniel's aka Napoleon Dynamite, you have, baby sweetness, I am ego In d Wade, who I loved when I first heard him, the Hall of Fame busmaker himself, and the National Treasure Charles Barkley. Great work to Fritzie or should we call.
Speaker 3: Him T book?
Speaker 2: Thank you, Buddha, so d book your T book?
Speaker 3: Huh, I'll take it.
Speaker 2: Okay, thank you, thank you, Todd Uh Justin and Idaho, Hi, Justin?
Speaker 3: What's on your mind today?
Speaker 6: Hey?
Speaker 3: Good morning, Good morning.
Speaker 6: So I got a baseball name fact for you and a baseball trivia question for you. Okay, in honor of my pick for Rookie of the Year, Jackson Merrill, this is the first major League baseball season in history that has more players with the first name of Jackson than the last name of Jackson.
Speaker 2: All right, that's that's a very niche trivia question there, or fact?
Speaker 3: Thank you? What else?
Speaker 6: And then in honor of the Padres kind of keeping that going getting their second no hitter in franchise history a couple of weeks ago, there are three major league teams with only one no hitter to their name. Can you name them?
Speaker 3: Okay? The New York Mets they have two, Paulie Minnesota Twins.
Speaker 6: Uh, the Twins have seven?
Speaker 3: Was close?
Speaker 10: The first one though, was special?
Speaker 3: So special? Yeah? The one? Yeah, yes, Marvin.
Speaker 7: The Diamondbacks.
Speaker 6: The Diamondbacks have three.
Speaker 2: Okay, the Blue Jays, correct, because Dave Steve lost two no hitters in the ninth inning, Yes, PAULI was that?
Speaker 10: Ri Dickey?
Speaker 3: Ari Dicky?
Speaker 2: I believe, yes, Justin.
Speaker 6: You have then the Rockies and the Raids.
Speaker 2: All right, well, thank you, Justin? Yeah, I think Ari Dickey the knuckleballer threw a no hitter with Toronto. I remember Dave Steve had I think two no hitters broken up in the ninth inning.
Speaker 3: Bob in Montana, I know it is Dave Steve.
Speaker 10: He had two broken up and then got one on the road in the nineteen ninety season, was dasty.
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah, Hey, Bob, oh, hey, dp Hey.
Speaker 4: Two quick things. First and foremost, thanks for the recommendation of going to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and seeing the Green Day exit. But I was just there on Monday for the first time ever. You got the doors, and then right next door to the doors is Green Day and then right around the corner of the Elvis is Elvis. So I had a really good time. So thanks for that recommendation. And then secondly, when did you guys have your big summer vacation? Here another one one of it that's coming up. I didn't know if anybody brought up your boat christening, because that's like the next big important thing after naming your boat. So obviously the first person you want to have to do it is your beautiful and gracious wife, Susan. But I was going to encourage you maybe to think outside the box and have some famous ladies sports athlete like maybe Anakornakova or Ronda Rousey or the hottest w NBA player out there right now, Angel Reese come up and Chris and your boat all welcome.
Speaker 3: They're all welcome.
Speaker 2: It's probably just going to be me with a beer and that's about it and my dog Winnie.
Speaker 12: Just like you're in the basement watching TV.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you and your dog. Yeah, christening the boat.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it didn't take long to call Roll when I'm you know, by myself, because it's usually just me by myself. I have drive bys, I have stragglers that they always come by and then they'll say, what are you watching? And then I have to say I'm watching Bourne Supremacy and they go, don't you watch that every other night? And I say I try to because last night I picked up Bourne Supremacy at the very end stayed there, doesn't matter where it is in that movie.
Speaker 11: Uh.
Speaker 2: Jason in Florida, Good morning, Jason. What's on your mind today?
Speaker 4: Good morning?
Speaker 14: A couple of things. First, Lead Diffy has been absolutely crushing it with the track and Field.
Speaker 6: I'm a big.
Speaker 14: IndyCar fan and he's been calling IndyCar Racers. But wow, his all the last lap of the Indy five hundred this year was absolutely spectacular. Secondly, was there a pie of the face bet with the Dante about the point spread with USA basketball?
Speaker 2: I think, uh, yes, that's a good call. Jason Paulie's got his hand raised.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 10: I was giving five and a half for the duration of the tournament Day four, whom.
Speaker 6: I know.
Speaker 10: It looked like they were gonna lose. Wow, but then they were. I think they're up by five.
Speaker 3: I don't know what m could have been a push.
Speaker 10: Should I double down on France USA?
Speaker 3: Okay, but I'd have to know what the point spread is.
Speaker 6: I don't.
Speaker 2: I don't have the point spread yet, checking because if you want to double down, I'll let you do the point spread. Well, no, I'm going to have to confer with the other Danuts.
Speaker 10: Yeah, because I think I bet Marvin on the point spread for the tournament.
Speaker 3: Oh, for the entire thing. Oh, I think.
Speaker 2: Okay, So that's different. So that's that's you against paul Yes, Mark.
Speaker 7: No, it's me and Seaton against.
Speaker 3: Oh that's even better.
Speaker 2: No, there's no other Yeah, it was this side versus that side. Yeah, Toddler. You you jumped on you jumped on Polly's back.
Speaker 3: Yeah, if you have said anything. If Marvin didn't bring that up, it was not top of mind.
Speaker 7: It was during the game yesterday that I was watching, but not this by.
Speaker 2: We got two Pais shakour bonus cover. I love it, Marvin, good call there. It was this side of the Dan Ance versus that side instead of front row back row.
Speaker 3: Yes, we all win. We all win.
Speaker 2: Though we'll talk about Jim Harbaugh shaking off questions yesterday. This was a lot different than the question that he was answering a couple of days ago, where he was pretty defiant, don't cheat, don't lie, don't steal, don't do anything. This one was why can't we just let the kids benefit? You know this is all about the kids? Well it is, yes, but the grown ups tend to screw it up. Jim. That's the problem. So that's why you sat out for a couple of games this past season. But look, if I'm a Michigan fan, Michigan alum, I probably go all right, So what we we won a national title. If you if you don't lose the national title, if they don't make you vacate anything, then you go big deal.
Speaker 3: Everybody else cheats.
Speaker 2: So what now the Connors Stallions thing that's going to stay awhile and this documentary coming out where he is interviewed. I'm really curious of how they portray this documentary, but I think that's coming out during the football season. At least that would make the most sense. All right, seatan the results from the poll question for first hour, JJ Watt, who's going to join us in a ten minutes from now.
Speaker 3: Let's see we've got up there. Would you rather blow a lead or have no chance?
Speaker 12: Right now?
Speaker 3: Seventy four percent.
Speaker 12: Of the audio would rather have no chance. I don't get that at No, I don't get that at all. You don't want to be I mean, blowing the lead stings. But at least you could say like you were competitive. Having no chance, You're like, well I got there, but it was terrible.
Speaker 2: No, you want a chance. Yes, you blew a seventeen point lead. You were at least up seventeen on maybe the greatest collection of basketball talent ever put together. Doesn't sound like a consolation prize, Well you get a bronze medal, JJ Watbill join is coming up