Speaker 1: Everybody. It's Bill Courtney with an army of normal folks. Welcome into the shop. Shop talk number one fifteen. What's up?
Speaker 2: What's up?
Speaker 1: Bill? How are you looking for anything special? Just hanging out today in the shop.
Speaker 2: Still looking for cigars and women and well.
Speaker 1: God, okay, well man, this is a family establishment, all right. So I don't know, you know, do you have a girlfriend right now? No? I don't. Did you get dumped? No? Not this time.
Speaker 2: I've experienced the full spectrum of the actually want to hear something funny. I don't think we've talked about us in the shop before. This guy, Chris Williamson, he said on his podcast that like dating at my age is like tell everybody, held, you're all right. So I'm thirty seven.
Speaker 1: And you got nineteen children four it's just okay, all right.
Speaker 2: So like when you're young, like you and Lisa, like when you start off and you have nothing, it's like building a house together. So you're starting the house with scratch or deciding all the furniture that's going to go in the house together, and you're basically building this house or this life together. But when you're my age, you already have like all this furniture in your house, and you're trying to find the exact lamp that will fit with all the furniture.
Speaker 1: That's the metaphor for which is all the junk you bring into a relationship at your age.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and the other person, right, so you're bull. You're both trying to find the exact lamp that can fit in hard to find. Yeah. Anyways, I'm having fun. Okay, not not with dating in life.
Speaker 1: I got it.
Speaker 2: We got a bed build tomorrow with forty or fifty people coming to Oxford.
Speaker 1: That's what are you doing.
Speaker 2: We're doing a bed building. That's I'm still having fun. All right. Let's girl.
Speaker 1: You know, you would think with thousands and thousands and thousands and thousands of people listening, there's gotta be somebody out there that's around thirty five to forty years old that is moderately interested in meeting you. I guess not. I guess not.
Speaker 2: They looked me up and I said, that dude is ugly.
Speaker 1: Dealing with that dude, he's a plady. Dude. Good, it's Mike.
Speaker 2: Alright, Let's get to the actual time.
Speaker 1: All right, everybody, this shop talk number one fifteen. We are talking about ordinary radicals. The subtitle Lose the Shop Talk is inspired by Shane Claiborne's book The Irresistible Revolution, Living is an Ordinary Radical. Hold On, I know that you don't have to keep telling me the producer situation, and this is driving me crazy. We'll get to this after the break, but first our shop talk history lesson for the day. What happened one hundred and fifty years ago? Alex? And please don't laugh while you're saying something horrible, because last time you were dying laughing when you said that Titanic sunk. It was it was a horrible look. And I'm I'm offended.
Speaker 2: Okay, what year was one hundred and fifteen years ago?
Speaker 1: Bill? That would have been eighteen ninety eleven.
Speaker 2: Okay, So the first guy to reach the South Pole Rowald's Amundsen.
Speaker 1: Jeez, I thought that was like Ernest Shackelford or something. No whole endurance story.
Speaker 2: Nope, Okay, the first Indianapolis five hundred.
Speaker 1: I'll hold it one hundred and fifteen years ago, was the first Indy five hundred? Yeah, but they do run it on donkeys.
Speaker 2: The discovery of Machu Picchu.
Speaker 1: What is that?
Speaker 2: You don't know what Machu picchu is no, are you serious? Oh, Machu Pichu, it's your next trip with Lisa?
Speaker 1: What is it?
Speaker 2: Oh gosh, I'm gonna have to pull up a picture of this for you.
Speaker 1: What do we got? Oh? Oh oh, oh, oh, yes, I do know what that is. I just didn't know that's what it's called. I've seen this. Oh it's incredible, isn't it. It's beautiful for everybody. I'll need to google m A c h u ps cc hu match. You.
Speaker 2: You're gonna sound like such an idiot to our listeners.
Speaker 1: I understand. I am an idiot. And plus, this happened. What in eighteen ninety nineteen eleven, November one hundred and fifteen years ago? Anything else? Hundred and fifty years ago we're discussing.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, I forgot this one. The Mona Lisa was stolen the modo?
Speaker 1: Are you kidding?
Speaker 2: The loop?
Speaker 1: Was it? Really was a?
Speaker 2: Was it that made international headlines for two years and transformed the painting from a respected masterpiece and arguably the most famous work of art.
Speaker 1: I didn't know.
Speaker 2: That that that theft of it made it.
Speaker 1: I didn't know that either. It was part of in the Louve a year ago where they broke in and stole bunch stuff was Monolysa. Part of that was it stolen again.
Speaker 2: I think people have like throwing blood at it though and stuff in recent years.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, one hundred and fifteen years ago, the Mona Lisa was so it was gone for.
Speaker 2: Too overrated, just like hushpuppies.
Speaker 1: Hush puppies are not overrated.
Speaker 2: Talked about that in a recent episode.
Speaker 1: Ron sparks, you are a loser Yankee if you think hush puppies are over ready.
Speaker 2: So is the Mona Lisa.
Speaker 1: All right, let's go, all right, Shop Talk number one fifteen Ordinary Radicals. Right after these brief messages from our general sponsors. Okay, everybody, welcome back to the shop. Shop Talk number one fifteen Ordinary Radicals. This Shop Talk is inspired by Shane Claiborne's book The Irresistible Revolution, Living as an Ordinary Radical. Shane Claiborne completely redefines what it means to be radical. When we hear that word, we usually picture someone loud, someone extreme, someone making headlines. But Shane says that's not how Jesus changed the world. Jesus Revolution wasn't led by celebrities, politicians, or people with impressive resumes. It was led by fishermen, tax collectors, women, carpenters, neighbors, ordinary people who simply loved in extraordinary ways. That's why Shane calls them ordinary radicals. I love that phrase because it reminds me so much of what we're trying to build with. An army in normal folks, Not an army of super heroes, not an army of experts, an army of ordinary people who decide to live extraordinary lives by simply doing what they can. Shane cites the scripture passage of John the Baptist. Sitting in prison. He sends his disciples to Jesus with one question, are you really the one we've been waiting for? Jesus could have simply answered, sure, yep, that's me. Instead, he says, go back and tell John what you see and hear the blind received sight, the lame walked, the poor here good news. Shane points out something beautiful. Jesus let his life. I e. His actions answer the question. He didn't ask people to believe his claims. First, he invited them to notice the trail he was leaving behind. Healing, hope, restoration, compassion. Then Shane asked questions that challenges us all. If someone asked whether we were followers or Jesus, or if you're not a follower Jesus, any moral system that we proclaim, could we answer the same way. Come look not because we're perfect, but because there are little signs of hope following our lives. One of the stories that launched Shane Claiborne's own journey happened while he was a college student outside Philly in nineteen ninety five. Dozens of homeless mothers and children were struggling to find housing. At the same time, Philadelphia had hundreds of abandoned buildings, including an abandoned Catholic cathedral, so the families moved into it. A few days later, Shane and some friends were sitting in their college cafeteria when one of their buddies threw a newspaper down the table and said, you've got to read this. The headline read church resurrected not because someone had repaired the building, because people had brought life back into it. But as they kept reading, the story took a heartbreaking turn. The Catholic Archdiocese, which owned the cathedral, had served the families with an eviction notice. They had forty eight hours to leave or they would be arrested for trespassing on church property. Shane said they had one of those moments when they found themselves asking, Hey, God, why don't you do something? And it was if God, and they answered, I did do something. I made you get out. So that night Shane in a group of college students drove into North Philly. They found the cathedral. They knocked on the doors, and Shane says they entered into the struggle. They didn't just admire the courage of those families from a distance. They joined them. They became friends with the mothers and the children. They worshiped together inside that old cathedral. They organized together. They stayed with them through the eviction battle, and Shane says that experience became the catalyst for an incredible student movement on their campus, and it completely changed how they read the Bible. He said, they stopped seeing Jesus simply as someone who cared about the poor. They began seeing Jesus as one who became poor, one who was born into suffering, one who identified with the forgotten, one who invites his followers to do the same. Meanwhile, the families hung a banner across the front of the cathedral that read this, how can we worship a homeless man on Sunday and ignore one on Monday. That's one of the most convicting questions I've ever heard, because it isn't just a question for churches. It's a question for all of us. It's not just a question for Christians. It's a question for any members of any faith or the agnostic. The question is incredible. Do the things we say we believe actually show up? And how we live? Do our words or our actions speak loudest? Then the story takes another incredible turn. The Archdiocees decided to bring in the fire marshal, hoping the building would be condemned as unsafe and the families would have to leave. The night before the inspection, there was a knock at the cathedral door. Shane said. Everyone assumed they'd come to evict the families under the cover of darkness. Instead, it was a group of firefighters. They quietly said, we're here against orders. Then they spent the entire night helping in small smoke detectors, exit signs, and fire extinguishers so the building would pass inspection. And the families could stay. I can't tell you how much I love that image. The institution failed, but the people inside it didn't, and I think that's the heart of the irresistible revolution. Shane didn't become an ordinary radical because he read a book or heard a sermon. He became one because he stopped asking why doesn't somebody do something about that one day and started asking what can I do? Sometimes changing the world starts with something as ordinary as knocking on a door. Sometimes it starts by staying with the people in the middle of their struggle, and sometimes it starts by installing smoke detectors at midnight. That's what ordinary radicals do. One of Shane's biggest idea is that followers of Christ don't spend their lives trying to avoid broken places. They move into them. Not because suffering is good, of course not, but because that's exactly where Jesus went. He tells about one of his classmates who proudly landed one of the most prestigious teaching jobs in a wealthy suburb. His professor looked at her and said, there are almost three hundred applicants for that job. Why would you take it? You're one of the best teachers go where they can't find enough teachers. Then he tells about a Harvard law graduate who turned down lucrative opportunities to defend poor people wouldn't afford lawyers. Shane said, the biggest question isn't am I going to be a teacher, a lawyer, a doctor. The big question is what kind of teacher? What kind of lawyer? What kind of doctor? Who am I going to teach? Who am I going to heal? Who am I going to represent? I think an army of normal folks ask the same question. What kind of retiree will I be? What kind of business owner, what kind of mechanics, what kind of parent? What kind of neighbor? If you believe in God, he doesn't just redeem our sundays, He redeems our vocations. Another theme running through The Irresistible Revolution is what Shane calls an economy of love. Instead of asking how can I accumulate more, he and his friends started asking how could we live with less so we can give more? They shared houses, they shared cars, they shared possessions, not because sharing was the goal, but because it freed them to love their neighbors more generously. Then he tells about a group of Christians who were tired of waiting for someone else to solve the health care crisis. They started pulling their money. They prayed with one another, They helped pay one another's medical bills. What began with just a few hundred people eventually grew into tens of thousands, sharing hundreds of millions of dollars in medical expenses. Shane's point isn't that everyone has to organize life exactly like he did. His point is that love is creative. Ordinary radicals don't ask what can't I do? They ask what can I do with what's already in my hands? No one person has to solve every problem, but together normal folks or ordinary radicals can do extraordinary things. That friends is shop talk number one fifteen, basically another man's take who I've never heard of, never read, or never met on what really can fix our culture? Are sighting a world which is an army of normal folks. His version of it is ordinary radicals, But candidly guys, it's the same venture.
Speaker 2: And if we live that, as the title of his book says, it becomes an irresistible revolution that people can't turn away from. They see it and they got to be a part of it.
Speaker 1: And although obviously he is a Christian, I'm your Catholic, I'm Christian, were Christians. But I do fear that non Christians, Jews, Muslims, Agnostics, hear us talking about this and think that this does not include them.
Speaker 2: That's why I said any moral code.
Speaker 1: And I'm really glad that we talked about any moral colleague, because you don't have to be a Christian to recognize talent and need and join the army of normal folks, A true army of normal folks, a true group of ordinary radicals really don't care how you pray. They just care what you do.
Speaker 2: And the reality is we all worship some kind of God.
Speaker 1: That's true.
Speaker 2: And even most Christians get that wrong, including us two included. Right, it's easy to make money your God or power or pleasure. So I mean all of us do have some form of God in some form of moral code. We couldn't operate in the world if we didn't.
Speaker 1: That's true, That's absolutely true. Guys, join the army in normal folks. Be an ordinary radical. Understand that those firemen changed lives by installing a smoke detector. That is not some massive, top down, huge five H one C three or government agency coming in and solving the problem. It's a freaking husband and a father and a dad who happens to be a fireman, who makes it less than one hundred thousand dollars a year. It showed up with a sixteen dollars fire detector and a screwdriver and changed lives. That's the power of an army of normal folks, of ordinary radicals. And you can't sit on the sidelines and say, I wish somebody would do something about that. One day, when you have abilities and gift and there's needs surrounding you, who the hell is somebody? The answer has got to be you, us, an army of normal folks, a group of ordinary radicals seeing areas of need in their communities and filling it. And when we do that, all of our worlds get better.
Speaker 2: One part I like about that too, is that it was at midnight. Like Greg Spilliard said this while on his episode where he's like, this work is not nine to five.
Speaker 1: That's true.
Speaker 2: I mean sometimes it's at nine pm, sometimes at midnight. Mk Hill too recently talked about you know that one case where she you know, helped those three kids who became her foster kids, were you know, the police, you know, just rested.
Speaker 1: Mom.
Speaker 2: It's at night, these three kids around the corner with.
Speaker 1: Cod I can't remember what time it was, but it was late at night.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this is like, yes, she stepped in that moment and said, hey, I'm happy to take them, you know, and have them be you know, my foster kids. And it's not like it's happening every midnight. These guys are doing it. But you have to be mentally prepared when those opportunities do present themselves at crazy times, be willing to do it.
Speaker 1: And that is because you if you assume that working in your community is an hour by hour, exhaustive process, that that very thing may keep you from engaging in the first place. It's it's not. It's just being ready to act and willing when you see opportunity. And who knows when that comes and what time it comes. But that's what an army and right if you think about it, the United States military spends ninety percent of its time hanging around, training and eating, right, and we're not always at war. An army builds itself in preparation for an event, and then it acts, and then when that act is over, it chills. And that's what an army normal folks has to be do, large enough and ready enough that when areas of need a rise in your community, you can act. It's a it's not an all the time thing. It's just what you can do when you can.
Speaker 2: That's a good analogy for us. Even when you're at war a lot of time they're sitting around too, right, They're sure they're not kinetic the whole time.
Speaker 1: Sure, okay, guys, that is shop talk number one point fifteen. Join the ranks of the army and normal folks become an ordinary radical and be as as our buddy Mike would say, a bloody do gooder. And let's let's let's do some good for our society and our culture and build relationships, have fun doing it. And the payoff is this, you will be so much more personally fulfilled in your own life when you're engaging in others. It's just a fact. Guys. If you enjoyed this episode, please rate it, review it, share it friends on on social Subscribe to the podcast. Join the Army at normal folks dot us. Join a service club if there's one in your area.
Speaker 2: We have five six or help start one.
Speaker 1: Oh what we've started one?
Speaker 2: No, we've fed six all on, Oh haven't we.
Speaker 1: We have six clubs and help start one. And our merch is online represent wear it around and understand we make zero dollars a profit on the stuff on the merchandise, the army normal stuff, So y'all buy some of that weird around So people ask and you get to say, hey, listen to the podcast, join the movement, be part of it. What else?
Speaker 2: Take the ten level challenge and get out of here and go do some good.
Speaker 1: That's it. And you can write me anytime at Bill at normal Folks dot us and I will respond if you have any ideas for things we should take up on shop Talk, or people in your community doing amazing things that we could feature on an Army of normal folks. Let us know your stories, will respond.
Speaker 2: That's sare we send you merch if you do what?
Speaker 1: Oh and if you do that, we send you free merch and that costs as because we don't make any money. I merg So there you have it. That's it Shop Talk number one fifteen. Thanks everybody. We'll see you next week.