Speaker 1: This episode is brought to you by all State. Some people just know they could save hundreds on car insurance by checking all State first, Like you know, to check the date of the Big Game first before you accidentally buy tickets on your twentieth wedding anniversary and have to spend the next twenty years of your marriage making up for it. Yeah, checking first is smart, So check all State first for a quote that could save you hundreds. You're in good hands with All States savings. Very terms apply All State Fire and Casualty Insurance Company and Affiliates, Northbrook, Illinois.
Speaker 2: Welcome in episode eighty seven, What's Right with Nick Right? The podcast live on YouTube right now. You can also download us on iTunes, Spotify anywhere if you want to just listen to the show. Watching the show, though, has some added benefits because we have a great production staff, the leader of which Blue Duck is here in New York on what I take to be a trip. He's, you know, expensing, but I think it's to see Adam Sandler, So I don't really know. Maybe I wasn't supposed to say that, but you know, it's such a life. Gabe Goodwin's here, Demantsey's squinting. You know, listen, there's one rule with me when it comes to things. If you don't want something on the air, it's like going off the record with a New York Times journalist. You have to say before you say anything, we're going off the record, and you have to get consent. You can't just be like, oh, blah blah, I said all this. Oh, by the way, don't say that on the show. Now, you didn't. Never know. We're always here at service of the audience. We have a ton to do today. Today's a massive day. I get to work with my son in the morning and then see my other son in the evening as my large at Ault Slovenian son is here in New York City playing the Brooklyn Nets. We will get to that. Also today the debut of the What's Right Book Club? Do you have your copy with you today? Buddy, I sure do you do. I have it, well done, sir. So we will discuss the first edition of the What's Right Book Club. Gabe is standing there looking to the book A Little History of the World by the giving the look on his face. Gabe has not yet started his copy. He has started reading it. But let's discuss what's not making the show today. What is not on the show today is the following Cream Hunts trade rumors swirling as the Browns realize there's seasons done that I can bring it back next year. Mac Jones inexplicably back as the starter for the Patriots. And evidently that show, that Star Wars cartoon that ripped off my likeness made it. It came out this week. Freddie Prince Junior, that name means nothing to you, demnse But to the listeners and viewers my age, they know exactly who he is. Freddie Prince Junior tweeted to me saying he thinks I have a legitimate lawsuit against Disney and he has a great entertainment lawyer. Shout out, Freddie Prince. We appreciate that, all right. I mean that, listen. I mean that's me. That's me next to Sam Jackson in Star Wars. I'm getting zero dollars Disney final offer before I get the lawyers involved. Give me an audition for a role in the next live action Star Wars movie. That's all I ask. You. Give me that and I'll sign a little release saying you can use my likeness. You don't have to give me a role, just an audition. You do that, I give you the release. If not, we're gonna have a big boys schiller in whomever whatever for my assistants. For is gonna be big problem. All right, Demonse, what are we starting with?
Speaker 3: Start with nets? Bucks?
Speaker 2: Yeah and Nets.
Speaker 4: We're awesome for the first half last night, but then Giannis took over and Nash managed to get a jacted. Yeah, the Bucks are undefeated and Giannis has scored damn near ninety points in his last two games.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's eighty seven, which is his career high over too games. I was surprised by that because he scored fifty in the finals, but the game before that least thirty two. Yeah, exactly right, all right, go ahead.
Speaker 4: Meanwhile, Ben Simmons still won't shoot, and Kyrie's pissed when people are asking about him.
Speaker 3: Yeah, about it last night? More about the nets of the Bucks.
Speaker 2: Or I think it's more about the nets. But we're gonna start with the Bucks here just for a moment. The I think somehow Giannis is still underrated. I think there is still failure to understand that when it comes to playing winning basketball, he is an a triple plus being a good teammate. He is an A triple plus being an excellent lead by example guy. He is an a triple plus being able to score at will efficiently at high enough levels to win the scoring title if you played enough minutes. He's an A plus. And defensively he's an a triple plus. There is nothing on the court he doesn't do exceptionally well except for shoot jump shots, and because of that, he can kind of do that, but also because of that, he just doesn't shoot a lot of them. And the reason theoretically not having a reliable jump shot could be damaging as well. Then guys can defend you differently, but they can't. They can't stop him. That the nets were up by eleven early in the third quarter, I'm sorry, up by twelve from that moment forward, Giannis was twelve of twelve from the field. He had thirty four second half points on thirteen of fifteen shooting. He's they don't have Chris Middleton yet. I don't love the roster as a whole. They're the only undefeated team in the league because of him. So the we talked so much about bags and Hesy, Jimbo's and all this nonsense. That's fun to look at, but what wins what matters in this league. Giannis has all of it, every single thing you would want, and he is going to finish his career as one of the ten greatest players ever.
Speaker 3: So a few episodes we asked about that MVP race.
Speaker 2: Is it looking like well, I don't even even by goofy sports media stuff. I think a week and a half in is too early to talk MVP. But like he was a Player of the Week or something like that. Sure, but it's too early for that. Tatum, your guy, Tatum has been awesome. John Moran's been awesome, Luca has been awesome, but the team's not winning. And so Luca Nets tonight. Now to the Nets. I'm not trying to toot my own horn. I hate that phrase. I don't know why I just used it, but let me read you a tweet I sent last night mid third quarter when the Nets were ahead. The Nets played really smart, connected, high intensity basketball for the first half. Then Yannis started attacking. They got a few tough whistles, and now they're just going to fold up shop, same old hashtag next year Nets. I think from that moment forward, Milwaukee went on like a thirty eight to fifteen run Matt maybe in thirty eight nineteen. The Nets cannot be bothered to try for a full forty eight minutes. It's like they're above it. And there is part of me that feels for Kevin Durant. He didn't want to be there. He knew this team was broken. He tried to get out, He played his hand. You know, the owner called evidently what was a bluff? And now he's stuck. That makes me feel badly for him. Here's the other thing that makes me badly for him. And this is what I tweeted last year after a Nets Bucks game, and Katie got all upset said about it, and you know said that I I don't know what he called me.
Speaker 3: But a peasant.
Speaker 2: A peasant and when we called him, when I said, Katie is destined to life as number two, like Katie had to. If he's being honest at the end of that game, say well, moving forward, there won't be a day of my life. I'm better than Yanness, which means, as great as he is, one of the fifteen best players in the last fifty years, is going to go his entire basketball career without ever being the best player in the world. It seems like it. It seems like he deserves better, but it's just true. And I know some people might say, what about twenty seventeen, his first year with the Warriors, he was better than Stephan those fives, he was better than Lebron in those finals, in that series, he was better. However, the two years surrounding it. In sixteen, Steph and Lebron were on a totally different plane than Durant, and the next year was I believe one could argue Lebron's single greatest season. So was Durant the best player in the world for a couple months. I some people would say yes. I would say if Lebron was better than him in sixteen, better than him in eighteen, he was probably better than him in seventeen as well. He was just on the best team ever, you know, put together, he being KD. It's just the Nets have no outs other than firing the coach, but that won't fix the roster. And Ben Simmons, I know he's rusty, but he appears to be a broken player. And so I think they are the Lakers who were going to get to are horrible offensively and zero to four. Then that's who we just talked about. Are horrible defensively, even though they played decent defense last night, and one in three. Both teams have two star players and then a mismatch rest of the roster. They're a lot more similar than people think. Next, all right, the Lakers are not looking too hot. They're one of three teams who have yet to get a win.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you always have a lot of trash talk to say on the Joker, but he easily outplayed Lebron.
Speaker 3: You're a poker player. Since when does a joker beat a king?
Speaker 2: Well, joker always beats a king. A joker can be literally any card in the deck. So I don't know who wrote that for you, but it's a setup or always beats the king. Go ahead, Okay, I.
Speaker 4: Was kind of thinking that. Yeah, but are the Lakers at risk of be in the first eight two?
Speaker 2: Okay, No, they're not gonna be on eighty two, but they are terrible. And let me talk about Joker for a moment. He was great last night. He put up the type of game I thought Lebron was going to since I thought because Russ wasn't played, Lebron was gonna have a vintage Lebron game to show Lakers management looks get some pieces. Lebron wasn't very good. In fact, it was his worst game of the year by a decent margin, and a ton of turnovers. Couldn't hit a shot. He just flatly wasn't good. Joker, on the other hand, was sensational. So I give him credit. And I'm not what did you say, I'm always talking trash on the Joker, maybe a little bit. I'm just offended that a guy who's the seventh or eighth best player in the league back to back one MVPs over Giannis, over Chris Paul, over guys who were clearly better and led to more winning than he did. That's all. And this year, by the way, we're gonna see it because now they do have all the pieces, and the Nuggets once again will be a good but not great team. And so but I give him credit. Last night last night, Joker was absolutely sensational. He was better than Lebron last night. He was the best player on the court last night. And you know, that's a great win for the Nets and the Lakers. Yes, eventually they're going to trade Russ. My concern going into the year when they do it, will it be too late because it can get late early out in the Western Conference and they are not just one shooter away. Obviously, like Buddy Heel doesn't just come in and fix all their problems. I'm not acting like he does. But anything the Lakers do until they trade us is kind of meaningless other than dig themselves bigger holes. So what they have is at Minnesota, then home for Denver, then home for New Orleans, will see how healthy they are, then home Utah, home Cleveland, at Utah, at the Clippers. Could the Lakers be two and eight to start the year, Absolutely, and could that make it to where their absolute best case scenario is the play in Yes? Right now, do they look like even with the Russ trade, they're a playoff team? No, it's a terribly built roster. Eighties played fine, but hasn't again been like, oh my god, there's the guy we thought we were gonna get after the championship and Lebron's in year twenty. It's remarkable that in year twenty he's still I believe, a top ten player, but he's hell a lot closer to ten than to one. And it can be the best year twenty in NBA history by a mile, and still not anywhere near good enough to carry this team anywhere that matters. It sucks. Lakers are an uninteresting, bad basketball team right now. And that was without Russ playing next. Huh?
Speaker 4: All right, the four and three Ravens take on a struggling Brady in the Bucks today. You said the Bucks of the Broncos, or just like the Broncos with a better uh, with better or publica public relations we love nations. You've also criticized Lamar for not growing as a passer. Are both of these teams being held by by their quarterbacks?
Speaker 2: Well, that's a very interesting way to put it. So Lamar needs to be better. Lamar hasn't played well in a month. Is he holding them back? No? Is he preventing them right now? For like, without Lamar, that team is trash. So so the not all, but the vast majority of their success is thanks to two people, two players, Lamar and Justin Tucker. Right, However, if they want to be a real contender, he's got to be better. Yeah, he flatly has to be the Lamar we saw the first few weeks of the season. We said, there, he's the leading MVP candidate after three weeks the Patriots. I'm sorry the Patriots. The Bucks are in a very similar position in this regard. On offense, their offensive line injuries up front have ruined their ability to have a deep downfield passing game and run the football. Okay, so that's not on Brady. However, the defense has been sensational, and Brady is having one of the worst starts to a season of his career.
Speaker 3: So it's.
Speaker 2: Bill James used to say, he's a great baseball guy. Bad teams have an amazing ability to blame their best players for their biggest problems. Meaning when a team is bad, instead of being like, we're bad because we have all these bad players, they look at their best player and say, why don't you do more? Why don't you do more? There is an element to blaming Brady or Lamar for the Bucks and Ravens problems. That is that they have a lot of other issues. The Ravens still haven't been able to build a secondary. Their running game is not what you would think would be outside of Lamoar. They haven't spent money on receiver. The Bucks had all these offensive line injuries. They have the worst running attack in football. Those things. Those things are not on the quarterback. However, those quarterbacks. One is considered the greatest player ever. The other won an MVP in year two and is on a Hall of Fame trajectory, very early, but a hall of Fame trajectory. If they those other problems are not going to get fixed. So in order for them to be contender ish teams, they are going to need those guys, those players to step up. And I don't know if Brady still can. I know Lamar still can, but he's got to get out of this rut. By the way, I mentioned earlier, the great Gabe goodwins here. Who's a professional Tom Brady hater. Gabe, I have some I had a vision like Vissera's in his dreams. You're coming up here. Okay, yeah, but game's right there. There is this world that exists where the Tampa Bay Bucks go nine and eight or even eight and nine and win that division, and they're the four seed because you get that as the division winner. And right now, the likely five seed is the New York Giants and Daniel Jones, and it's the four seed you're likely if you win, assuming because I'm gonna say something else, I would imagine there's a real good chance that the Niners or the Niners in the Rams are gonna be the three six. I think if the road team wins that the sixth seed, they then go to Philadelphia. Okay, And there is a real world that exists where Tom Brady's path to the NFC Championship Game goes home for Daniel Jones at Kirk Cousins and then in an NFC Championship game back at home against Jimmy Garoppolo to get to the super Bowl. That is, Gabe, I just want you to emotionally prepare yourself for Brady to be having his worst season ever. And then we see the playoff bracket and we say, wait, are the nine to eight Bucks going to be hosting Jimmy Garoppolo in the NFC title Game after beating Daniel Jones and Kirk Cousins to get there. That is in play. It is one hundred percent in play, and I need Gabe to be ready for it because he might he might not be able to handle it. If Brady gets to his eleventh Super Bowl and it's by beating Kirk Cousins, Jimmy Garoppolo, and Daniel Jones, I think it's in play. I also think, by the way, I mean, you know, before the year I had Chiefs Niners in the Super Bowl, there is something though poetic if it's Chiefs Bucks again and Mahomes gets even on him. Yeah, and that's what sends Brady into retirement. Bonus take for our friend Gabe. I do not think Brady's retiring after this year. You do, oh, I don't think. I think he's definitely not retiring. I think he's going to go next year and play for a really good team. I think that's what's gonna happen. I think, especially if he's actually getting divorced or has gotten divorced, I think Brady's gonna play at least another year.
Speaker 3: I can see it.
Speaker 2: I'm putting both those takes out there, and poor Gabe. Gabe's gonna live in a world where the Jets go eleven and six and somehow in the first round of the playoffs are in Kansas City and get beaten by thirty eight points and Brady goes nine to eight and in the first round of the playoffs gets Daniel Jones at home.
Speaker 4: All right, next we got don't only the fans out, We've got polls, but I don't know the updated document.
Speaker 3: Guys. Okay, no, no, no, no, the wi FI.
Speaker 2: It's not okay, it's working for me, so don't worry about it. I've got the updated document. The sorry I forgot the polls were there? Well, the Lakers get a win anytime soon. The poll answer was no, fifty five percent. And are the Bucks and Ravens being held back by their quarterback?
Speaker 4: No? Was eighty percent? All right, next, all right? The NFL trade deadline is on Tuesday. Several teams are in make it or break weeks.
Speaker 3: Yeah, traded for Robert Quinn to kick off their trade season.
Speaker 2: By the way, real quick, don't lose your spot. I'm so frustrated the Chiefs didn't make that trade fourth round pick with the Bears paying his salary for I understand the Chiefs want to get their young Carlaftis on the field, one of their big you know. One of the reasons the Chiefs of the Chiefs is early in seasons they play their young players. They don't stack veterans ahead of them. That way they can develop. But god, dogg it, I would have liked George or Robert Quinn for a fourth round pick go ahead.
Speaker 4: With wins, teams will right their seasons and make a push. With losses, they will be sellers and counting down to the end of the season. Yeah, if the Packers and Rams lose, should they start looking to next year and be sellers at the deadline?
Speaker 3: And if your Jags win, should they go all in it?
Speaker 5: All?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 2: No, no, this is no, no, no, all The Packers and Rams can't be sellers. The Packers can't be sellers because they only have a year or two left of Aaron Rodgers. The Rams can't be sellers because they've they've already spent all their draft capital. They need to be trying to win right now, and that division so winnable, so that wouldn't make sense. And the Jags absolutely should not go all in. The Jags need to take a long term view of this, not try to steal the AFC South or the final wild card spot this year. So that's listen. I do think there will be some more moves, and I do think it's possible the Chiefs get involved in something I would have liked. Robert Quinn all right, we are live on YouTube. Keep adding your questions and comments to the chat. We'll answer those in the C block. This was the A block, by the way, coming up next. I know Bill Simmons and cousin Sal do this parent corner thing weekly on the pod. I don't my version of parent corners. I guess doing the show with my son, I am going I need to talk about a parenting thing that is impacting my life right now. It has nothing to do with the manse. We will do that. Then we'll talk a little, got a game to play, talk a little Luca. And then in the C block, not only do we answer your questions, but our update of the What's Right book Club, which I sold that idea from Bomani Jones. He gave me permission to do it all. That's coming up next. Quick sixty second break right back.
Speaker 6: This episode is brought to you by Unstoppable. Discover the inspiring true story about Anthony Roblasts, who defined every expectation to become a national wrestling champion, and Unstoppable, a new original movie from Amazon, MGM Studios and director William Goldenberg. Evoking the excitement and camaraderie of classic sports dramas and thrilling wrestling matches. Unstoppable features an all star ensemble cast including Jirelle Jerome, Jennifer Lopez, Don Cheatle, Michael Tania, and Bobby Canavalli. Watch Unstoppable now exclusively on Amazon Prime Video.
Speaker 2: All right, welcome back in What's Right? Nick. Right, We're gonna get to relyve on YouTube. By the way, right now, you can drop your questions or comments in the chat. Uh I need. I want to spend a few minutes here before you get back to sports. Something that's going on in my life right now. Because this is and I hate to be this guy. I'm going to talk about a problem without having a solution for it. There has to be a better and more fair way for young people to apply to colleges than the one we currently have. Okay, so my daughter, my older daughter is a senior in high school. She wants to be an actress. I fully support that. I think she's brilliant on the stage, and I think she has real talent. She's applying to She doesn't really like when I talk about her business. She's applying to a lot of schools, a dozen schools. She's applying to the theater programs. Yeah, I'll name if you applying to Syracuse, where I went Howard Spellman, USC, not Cornell. I'm glad you're locked in. Appreciate that little chime in. I'll handle this part, buddy, USC, I think is where she really wants to go. That is maybe the hardest theater's program to get into in the country. Gabe, did you go to USC? Okay? I thought, you know, for some reason, I thought Gabe might have gone to USC, but he didn't. That's fine. Sorry, My apologies is USC fan. That's right, A bunch of schools in southern California, and like Loyola, Marriormount and Occidental Chapman, A bunch of those schools and a bunch of the UC schools. She either wants to be out in California, Syracuse or an HBCU. I'm probably leaving somehow.
Speaker 3: The work.
Speaker 2: These kids have to put into these applications, each application having not only your one long form essay, but sometimes three or four supplemental essays, plus if you're applying to a specialty program, and I understand it, and on dish and tape and this plus the stuff that goes into SATACT prep plus all of these things. It doesn't Here's what I think, and this is why I'm bringing up because my daughter has amazing support structure.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 2: She goes to a great school that has something called college cluster, where like for seniors they have like a period every other day where they just do college stuff. They have a great college, multiple great college counselors. She has not to sound weird, but she has me. I'm good at that type of stuff. Now she's asked me to be very hands off on it, but I'm still there if she needs me. All of these things and it's still is so overwhelming that I am having dreams about the process each night. I can't imagine what she's going through. So now, just just transport yourself back. You're seventeen years old. You're going through all the things you go through as a teenager. You're in your final stretch of high school. If you're an athlete or an actress like dior Is, you have practice or play practice or athletic practice or whatever after school until six o'clock. You have all these things going on. You have all your regular school responsibilities, and then you have this overwhelming weight of where you're going to get accepted into the schools to deal with. Plus and again, like I said, for a lot of the This is not Dior's situation, but for so many of these kids, it's like and then when I get in, can I even afford it? The applications themselves, seventy five eighty bucks are rip just to apply. And so I am bringing this up not because my daughter is having a rough time. She's done a great job with it and she'll be fine, even though it's overwhelming. I don't know how it's possible for young people who maybe have to work a job to help support themselves with their family, that go to a school that doesn't have all these built in advantages that Yora does, that they could ever have an application that looks anywhere close to a student that some of these, some of these kids at my daughter's school, they hire someone not to tutor them on the sat or Act, but hire someone to help like tutor them on the application, if not do the application. I'm not it. It just feels like.
Speaker 4: It.
Speaker 2: The attempt to, you know, create the best higher education situation for our young people possible, has turned into another instance where the deck is so incredibly stacked against poor kids. And that's been my big takeaway on this, is that we always say, like you know, put yourself by the bootstraps and and you know, do good in school, and you can do, but you know you can overcome your circumstances. I don't know how a teenager without massive support, massive financial means is going to be able to the vast majority, that is, have what is essentially your life's long resume measure up to kids who are in such easier situations. And it just strikes me as I again, like I said, I don't have a solution. This is a problem without a solution. My gut feeling is I think the best way to do the college application process would be similar to how it was done for when my mom. Now we are going way back when my mom was applying to schools, which is you went and talked to somebody, You had to sit down interview, it's half hour long. They looked at your grades and it was you had that human interaction and they had smart people determining, okay, are you a product? Like you had great grades, but was your degree of difficulty zero? You had tough grades, but were you working jobs, helping with kids? Do you know doing these things? It just strikes me as the moment our young people get out into the real world, it already has been stacked the haves and the have nots, and I have felt, honestly a little guilty, even though I want nothing but what's best for my daughter. That she's in the halves category, and and there are going to be kids that maybe are just as good or better applicants that are in the call that have nots category, and their applications gonna look gonna pale in comparison. So again, I think there are some parents listening or young people that just went through it that are watching it that understand and empathize with what I'm talking about. I know this was this is not usually what we do on this show, but it has been thirty some hours a week for Diora for the last month, plus school plus play practice, plus everything else going on in her life, and I just don't know how. You know, folks that don't necessarily have the resources that she has do it so nothing but you know, respect and admiration for them. But there's gotta be a better way to do it. And then for the if you do it all correctly, that the big prize at the end is probably two hundred thousand dollars a debt strikes me as pretty crazy. And I again, I don't have the solution, but I know the way we're doing it right now can't be the best way possible. All right, back to the show. What are we doing now?
Speaker 4: Well spoken, we got MAVs nets. We get to watch the other son, Luka Doncic's play tonight.
Speaker 2: By the way, you can ask you a question because you text me because you bet Luca first basket and you won it. Yep, and the text you sent me, I'm gonna try to look it up. You said your other son, and I read that coming from you, and I was like, you know, I've never asked Himan, say, does it bother you that I call someone else my kid?
Speaker 3: I think it's weird that you're just now asking me that.
Speaker 2: But uh, okay, well listen, better late than never. Does it bother you?
Speaker 3: I don't know?
Speaker 2: Oh that means it does?
Speaker 4: No, I don't think it's it's it's not a I really don't take any offense to Luca doesn't know.
Speaker 2: Your Okay, well, I mean I raised him, so let no, honestly, if anybody, if anybody should know, if there were.
Speaker 3: Like some guy that wasn't in the NBA that you were calling your other son.
Speaker 4: That would be like yeah, then it's like all right, okay, all right, that's fair.
Speaker 2: I get it. Uh if it were just like some like aspiring sportscaster, I've like taken on her my wing and I'm like, hey, here are my two sons that would bother you. Okay, that's fair, you think because he's in the NBA and people don't believe that he's my actual, large adult Slovenian son, I.
Speaker 3: Don't think that it's that they don't believe it.
Speaker 4: I just think it's like it's like me telling my girlfriend that I have a crush on Beyonce or like she's my.
Speaker 2: I got you, Okay, you know, all right, I got you, gonna do all right? Fair enough, alright, go ahead.
Speaker 4: Luca has been a wrecking ball, putting up massive numbers through these few through these first three games. Yeah, the nets are in disarray and can't stop anything defend.
Speaker 3: Is this the making of a fifty piece for Luca tonight?
Speaker 5: Oh?
Speaker 2: I don't think he's gonna score fifty. But last night the total for Gianni's points pregame was thirty two and a half, and I hammered the over it's my first NBA bet of the year, and I and he had nine in the first half and finished with forty three. The Nets are on a back to back. I think here's what I would say. I think Luca will have.
Speaker 3: At least twenty eight I'm calling it right now.
Speaker 2: Twenty eight field low. What I was gonna say is fifty combined points rebounds exists, Okay, I think Luca has thirty two, nine and thirteen.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: That these hit and open shooters, and I think that. Listen. I said the map has not been great, but I said before the year, I thought they were going to have the best offense in NBA history, and their pace towards it, I think their offense is gonna be unstoppable. We'll see how the Nets react to last night. I know they thought they got an unfair whistle. And we talked to the Nets at the beginning of the show. We didn't talk about Steve Nash losing his mind, Steve Nash going crazy on the rest. They really didn't like the whistle.
Speaker 3: I like Steve Nash getting ejected. Those shows a little bit of fight.
Speaker 2: Katie seemed to like it. Katie seemed to appreciate it. Would have been nice if the Nets showed some fight afterwards, but the show's you know, they can't be as the Nets. They've done so much winning and they've accomplished so much, it's hard for them to get up for these regular season games. All right, what game are we playing?
Speaker 3: We are playing Doctor right today. I don't have my stethoscope.
Speaker 2: See they did send you a stethoscope, didn't they.
Speaker 3: They did not send me a stethoscope. I was just making a little joke.
Speaker 2: I'm just it's just from the image. Gabe is convinced, and I'm not.
Speaker 3: And it's you that has the stuff on.
Speaker 2: It's not even me, I know so, But Gabe is convinced they did. Matt says they didn't. I think they did. Your adamant that you've never worn that.
Speaker 4: Ever, I feel like if there was, if there were Doctor's equipment that was sent to me through Amazon, if I opened it, there's no chance that I forget that. I opened up a package and you're with doctor equipment in it.
Speaker 2: You're convinced, hold on that you've never on one of the shows worn any Doctor stuff.
Speaker 4: Okay, guys, our loyal listeners type in the chat, we do it?
Speaker 3: Do it as a question aired all.
Speaker 2: Right, yeah, yeah, so you're convinced that we can't find footage of you wearing any doctor stuff.
Speaker 4: I've had a gavel and a wig, okay, and a whiteboard one time.
Speaker 2: Demanse says he's one hundred percent all right, before the end of the show, We're gonna get to the bottom of this. We're gonna get to the bottom of it. Gay's so crazy, Gabe, go ahead, Gabe jumping in our boss Cara. Yeah, wow, really, Gables, Guys, you don't have to go strolling through the old episode. Gabe was as convinced as I.
Speaker 3: Was, which is insane, Like, am I just like a liar? Or no? I I brained that Fall.
Speaker 2: I didn't think you were lying intentionally. I did think you had forgotten, okay, that we had worn it once months ago, and you had forgotten, That's what I thought. But and gamed it as well. But Fall, and it's the wig and the gavel, okay?
Speaker 3: All right?
Speaker 4: Next or so we are doing it again, doctor right first patient doctor Wright Russell Wilson is showing signs of clinical insanity on the Broncos flight to London, doing high knees for four hours umping down the aisles while as teammates were trying to sleep. If the Broncos lose, changes have to be made. Doctor Wright, We're leaving coach Hacket in London cure Russ's case of insanity.
Speaker 2: Okay, the absolutely no, it wouldn't. That's first of all, there's no chance it would cure fixing Russ. No. I also, I'm going to add a take here and then we'll get back to Russ. I said they should consider firing Hacket after week two. I absolutely would not fire him, no matter what they do the rest of the year. Here's why they Their only path next season. Their most obvious path, I should say, is Sean Payton. Sean Payton, hire him quarterback. Whisper did great things with Drew Brees. Even when Drew Brees was old and cooked, he still made it work. Russ and Drew Brees stylistically incredibly similar players, same size, all of it. The reason I wouldn't fire Hackett is you need, when you are trying to convince Sean Payton to take that job, to be able to say Russ is fine, the coach was awful. You need a fall guy. If you fire Hackett and then Russ is still terrible. How does any good coach want that job when you are tied to Russ for the next six years. So I wouldn't fire Hackett now on Russ. I it's one thing to do this on the airplane. It is another thing entirely. Do you know how the media found out? Demonse? His teammates Russ told them, Oh yeah, Russ at the press conference told them, yeah, it the lack. So here's the thing in the NFL, at the quarterback position. There are two ways to be a leader, and hopefully you have both of them, but you've got to have at least one of them. Right, by the way, are you okay?
Speaker 5: My neck is like all of a sudden, All of a sudden, doctor, You need actual doctor, right, Demanse is like net just stiffened up mid show?
Speaker 2: No, I can see it.
Speaker 3: H all right.
Speaker 2: There's two ways to.
Speaker 3: Be a leader.
Speaker 2: Be such a great player, people have no choice but to follow. Peyton Manning is an example. Be so charismatic or cool. People want to follow Joe Burrow, Cam Newton. Yeah, those are examples. The best ones are both for a time. Tom Brady was that, Patrick ma Holmes is that right now? Lamar has been that at various times in his career. The worst ones are neither Kyler, Murray, yeah, big Ben his last few years. Big Ben was never super charisma guy, but he was awesome. Then he started stinking and he still was not charisma leader.
Speaker 3: Cool guy.
Speaker 2: Nobody want to follow him, Jay Cutler his whole career. Russ was always corny, but he used to be great. Now he's somehow more corny and terrible. No one's gonna follow that, and it's a big problem. It's a big do I think Russ is statistics.
Speaker 3: I mean backed him up on Twitter, Yeah, because.
Speaker 2: They got no choice. But this is just a you know, fruit of the same poisonous tree. Is You remember the video of him early in the year demanding guys who aren't playing Yello Runner pass while they're watching the game. Maybe you didn't see it. It's so bad, Uh. It's when the Broncos are on defense. He wanted everyone on the sideline to shout exactly right, and when they weren't doing it, he started chastising them. And it's just these these are things like you just can't have and if you're gonna do that, you've got to be great. And it said he's been terrible and the whole thing's a disaster there and there's no fixing it.
Speaker 4: Next, all right, doctor, Right, second case we have here, bad teams taking for Victor Winny win by Nyama have a bad case of the wins. If we don't administer an injection of losses, the lottery odds will rapidly decrease. Right, what do you advise the Blazers, Spurs and Jazz do to get back off track?
Speaker 2: Well, listen, I think the Blazers are actually gonna try to be good. I think the four and zero with Dame playing that level, they're not tanking. The idea behind them tanking was if Dame still looks compromised from the injury had last year, the Blazers are not gonna tank. Pissed, No, he'd be upsetting, but he was, you know, he was hurt last year, and you're they're not gonna tank. The Jazz might need to trade for us Conley and Jordan Clarkson for us, And because the Jazz might have accidentally built a decent roster, the Spurs don't have to do anything differently. They're gonna stop winning. The Spurs are gonna end up being terrible. They they that there. I'm not them. I'm not worried about. The Jazz are more competent than they wanted to be, and they got all those players from the Rudy Gobert deal, and they're realizing what Minnesota's realizing, which is Rudy Gobert's fools gold. So losing him doesn't even hurt you that much, and gaining him in Minnesota didn't help you that much. So the Spurs are going to tank, the Jazz might need to make a move, and the Blazers don't want to tank next all right, doctor right?
Speaker 4: The seventy six ers are showing signs of showing signs of a team chemistry in balance. They started the season off aller and three, then they finally beat the Pacer.
Speaker 2: And then they lost again last night one and four. We'll start to a season for them in five or six years.
Speaker 4: Yep, doctor right. What is the issue that means? I'm sorry, it's the issue the patients or the doctor. So the doctor meaning doctor the rivers right now, it's a little bit of both. This is the team I picked to win the East.
Speaker 2: And what is concerning for them is their harden is fully healed from that hamstring injury finally.
Speaker 3: And it is better than what he seemed to be.
Speaker 2: Last year, way better. And they still stink. So I'm going to give the Sixers some time, but Darryl won't stand pat and they have moves they can make, whether that's trading players or firing Doc. A lot of people thought they would fire Doc two years ago or last year. They didn't. A lot of people thought they were going to fire Doc last year. They did not. They've got to turn this around quickly because the Celtics are playing great and the Bucks are playing great. Now the Nets are in just as much disarray. Celtics and Bucks are for real. The Sixers need to get together, all right, last all right?
Speaker 3: Doctor? Right?
Speaker 4: The forty nine ers seem to be in perfect physical health, with all pros and first rounders at every key offensive position. You would think that they would have at least at least been competitive with the Chiefs. Instead, they are now three and four and we can't figure out what the problem is with this patient.
Speaker 3: Yeah, doctor Wright, what is your diagnosis for the forty nine ers.
Speaker 2: I think they're gonna be just fine. I think that keep doing what you're doing. You're already getting healthier. The Falcons loss was due to the fact that seven of your defensive starters are out. The Chiefs loss was due to the fact that Mahomes played a perfect football game and Jimmy G kneecaptia on the one yard line. I mean, Jimmy G. Is an unbelievable stat. In the last thirty years in the NFL, there have been twenty eight instances, so just under one a year of a quarterback throwing a pick, losing a fumble and getting safetyed in the same game. Twenty eight times in thirty years it's happened. Two of those are Jimmy G. This month, that's the Broncos game. He did it, and then this Chiefs game, he did it. Listen, they are the best thing they've gone for them is the division that they're in, and that defense is top three defense in the league. A first team All Pro left tackle and a first round pick a right tackle. A first team All Pro wide receiver in debo and a first round pick in the other wide receiver Brandon Ayuk, a first team All Pro at tight end and a first team All Pro at running back. Now with McCaffrey, I think the Niners are an incredibly dangerous team. They're obviously limited quarterback. This is why I thought it was so crazy. The whole world, whole sports world, was like, oh, they're better now that Trey Lance is hurt. No, they're not. They have a clear ceiling with Jimmy g at quarterback. But that ceiling is good enough because of the defense and the skill, guys still be a super dangerous team. I wouldn't change anything in San Francisco except for the quarterback. But you can't change the quarterback right now. Just gotta wait. All right, we will answer your questions live in the chat and debut our book club. That's all next sixty second break What's Right? Live on YouTube? All right, welcome back in episode eighty seven, What's Right? Nick Ray. So we decided that we're gonna do a monthly book club on this show. So this is gonna be our book for the month of December eight or a month of November. Pardon me, eh Gombres A little history of the world. And I realized, because I've never done a book club, that we're supposed to be like so up to the next week, we'll get to page whatever. I didn't do that.
Speaker 3: So here's you didn't do that.
Speaker 2: Where are you at in it?
Speaker 3: Page fifteen?
Speaker 2: Okay, I mean that's not great.
Speaker 3: That's not say five chapters.
Speaker 2: Well, the chapters like three pages long in this book, buddy, what I said? Okay, you're right. So the book is two hundred and seventy pages. So by this time next week, let's all plan to be through chapter up to chapter fourteen, which starts on page eighty. So let's so, I'm gonna give people who are maybe ambivalent on joining the book club a little taste of where of the first few chapters. So it is literally just a chronological history of the world in bite sized fashion. So the second chapter he discusses that you've got to think about prehistory before history, and some of the lines are I'm gonna read you a few. Isn't it an amazing thought that one day a prehistoric man or woman must have realized that meat from wild animals was easier to chew if it was first held over a fire and roasted, And that one day someone actually discovered how to make fire. Do you realize what that actually means? Then he goes on tools must have been invented by someone too, and then he goes on, do you know what else the caveman invented? They invented talking, I mean having real conversations with each other using words. They invented something else that was wonderful too, pictures. So his point is, we don't think about this, but the greatest inventors ever were the very first people. Because and he ends it with so just once in a while, while we're talking or eating some bread, using tools, or warming ourselves by the fire, we shuld remember those early people with gratitude, for they were the greatest inventors of all time. And then he gets right into the first civilization, the Egyptians, and he writes about King I don't know if it's Chiops or Chops who. This is twenty five hundred BC, so this is forty five hundred years ago, and he wanted a great tomb, and that great tomb is the great Pyramid. The pyramid that the great Pyramid of Chops, the one that you see standing to this day, was built by the first true civilization forty five hundred years ago. Also that he talks about how in the Egyptian religion, certain animals were sacred cats, which is why they built the sphinx, the pyramid that has the cat face on the top, and I mean this is.
Speaker 4: There's also a little section in there where they said, like the cavemen and the guys that used to draw in the caves, they think that there was a chance that they would draw the things on the cave to make them appear, because like, what reason did they have to do that.
Speaker 3: They thought if they drew.
Speaker 4: It, it would do magic, it would show up spawn a cat, yeah, or whatever.
Speaker 2: Whatever they were hunting for or whatever.
Speaker 3: I found that really interesting.
Speaker 2: And then so then the next chapter is about Mesopotamia, and this is really interesting, says unlike Egypt, Mesopotamia was ruled by just one king, and not did any single empire survive long within the frontiers of Mesopotamia. But one of those first kings was Hamarabi, who made the first ever code of laws. That's where eye for an Eye comes from the and that was seventeen hundred BC, so we're talking nearly four thousand years ago. But this was the part of the Mesopotamia chapter that I found the most interesting. So I'm going to read you a section from it quickly. In those days, people thought the earth was a flat disk, and the sky was sort of hollow sphere cupped over the Earth that turned over it once a day. So it must have seemed miraculous to them that, although most of the stars stayed fixed to the heavens, some seemed as it were, as it were, loosely fastened and able to move about. Today we know that those stars that are close to us, and that they herm with the Earth around the Sun, are not stars at all. They are called planets. You can see Mars and Jupiter, you can see it. But the ancient Babylonians and Assyrians couldn't know that, and they thought some strange magic must lie behind it. They gave a name to each wandering star and observed them constantly, convinced they were powerful beings whose position to influenced the destinies of men, and that by studying them they'd be able to predict the future. The belief in the stars has a name, a Greek name astrology, so people still believe in that today. Some planets were believed to be this is the amazing part, believed to bring good luck other's misfortune. Mars meant war, Venus meant love. To each of the five planets known they dedicated a day.
Speaker 3: What about is there anything about mercury in there?
Speaker 2: I'm not in here, but yes there would be something. But listen to this part. To each of the five planets known to them, they dedicated a day, and with the Sun and the moon, that made seven days. That is the origin of our seven day week. In English, we still call Saturn day, Saturday, Sunday, Sunday, the Moon's day Monday, but the other named after different gods. In other languages such as French or Italian, most of the days of the week still belong to the planets that the Babylonians nearly four thousand years ago named. So to this day we call Saturday Saturday because it was named after Saturn, and Sunday Sunday because it was named after the Sun. And Monday Moonday, well Monday because it was named after the moon. That's amazing. That's amazing. Then there is a chapter that I'm gonna you know. Our producers asked me today if I wanted to talk about Donda Sports and Aaron Donald and Jayalen Brown, leaving that after Kanye's just insane tour of hatred continues unending, and I said, I don't really want to. We got other stuff. I knew I was gonna do the college thing, and I was gonna do this. You keep mostly the sports. But I do want to say this so I know a lot of people think I'm Jewish because of my nose. I'm not Jewish. My grandfather was. However, I was raised Roman Catholic, and now I'm not really religious person. But the fifth chapter is about the origin of the Jewish people, who were kind of the first people to believe in one God and one God only instead of a bunch of gods. And it talks about all the different disasters and the persecution of them for you know, thousands of years. And is that going through all of that made a lot of the Jewish people of that time even more devout. And then I found this super interesting. So the Persians eventually kind of ran rough shot over everybody, and when they got to, let me get this right, so King Nebuchadnezzar of the Persians went to Egypt, and oh, so let me get this right. I apologize. I want to read this directly. The mighty Babylonian warrior King nebukad Neezer, on his way to war with the Egyptians. He marched through the Promised Land, where he destroyed Jerusalem in five eighty six PC, put out the eyes of King Zedekiah, and led the Jews in captivity to Babylon. They remained there for fifty years until the Babylonian Empire was destroyed by the Persians in five point thirty eight BC, and the Persians freed them that tiny remnant of people that called itself chosen Poor night and Day or the sacred songs and scriptures, as they tried to understand why the One and Only God allowed is people to suffer. There's then a chapter about who invented reading, and it's the Phoenicians because they were they were seafarers and they needed to be able to sell their goods. And then, and this part is really unbelievable, we get to and we're only at page thirty the story of the Persians and the Greeks, which you're like, oh, I actually knew some of this from the movie three hundred and it's and it the numbers obviously three hundreds of fictional depiction, but it's really fascinating. That's only thirty pages in, so we will get to page eighty next week, I will have a better idea. I'm gonna listen to someone else's book club because I don't know if you could tell from this, I don't really know what I'm doing on how we're supposed to do a book club. But the first thirteen Patricks chapters get us to page eighty. I recommend everyone read it. We'll do it more efficiently next week. All right, Demont's time now for some questions. Oh right, you ready? Or did your doc crash again? No?
Speaker 3: It changed up? Okay cmrs three six five?
Speaker 2: There a yes, Mr three six five, Okay, go ahead.
Speaker 4: Uh oh no, it's yeah, just that what there's absolutely no way Demons is interested in any of this.
Speaker 2: Well, we don't know that.
Speaker 3: You might be.
Speaker 2: You might be. Let's just see how it goes.
Speaker 4: It's funny, he says, we don't know that as if I'm not Demonse.
Speaker 2: Okay, fair enough, go ahead. What what what else we book you? You don't catch up?
Speaker 3: And I actually had some input.
Speaker 4: Quc beats co ass What does Demonse have to do to catch and surpass Luca in your heart stops?
Speaker 2: I'm not I'm you know what. That would be a good start. That would be a good start next.
Speaker 4: Uh, we got Justin pender ass. Who gets traded first? Russell Westbrook, Ben Simmons or Damian Lillard. It's definitely, it's definitely Ross.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Dame's not gonna get traded, right and Simmons is gonna be very very very difficult to trade because he has so much more long on his contract just three more years after this copy. Russ is an inspiring deal. Somebody will want Russ in the picks. I don't know that anyone's going to sign up for Ben in that contract. All right, next, all right?
Speaker 4: Ben asked if Andy Reid wins two Super Bowls over the next five years then retires, does he does he have credible goat coach case? He would be three and nine, so he would be three of the last nine Super Bowls. No, he would have won three three of nine super Bowls that he's been in. No, No, No, you're right, You've got it right. Three of the last nine Super Bowls with Goltle golt level quarterback, plus fifteen other fifteen other years high level NFL success.
Speaker 2: No, I listen, I don't think he's gonna be able to anyone that's currently coaching is not going to be able to surpass Belichick, but he'll have a case top five all time. Okay, you'll have a case for top five all time, I think without question. All right?
Speaker 4: Next, Nick asks Nick Demonse, what is your favorite sports movie of all time?
Speaker 3: He got game for me.
Speaker 2: Favorite sports movie.
Speaker 3: The Longest Shard. It's pretty interesting.
Speaker 2: You're talking about the remake, the one with Sam.
Speaker 3: With Adam saying, oh, it's oh yeah, there's like an old one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's an old one with Burt Reynolds. My favorite sports movie I really like Tin Cup. I really like ten Cup. It's a golf movie, but it's really a love story. But it's a great movie. I'm not a big sports movie guy. I've never like I'm not really into like Field of Dreams, Hoosiers, those movies. Uh, does Rocky do the Rockies Countorts? Then Rocky? I mean the Rocky Creed was very good, but Rocky one through four are pretty outstanding movies.
Speaker 3: All right? Next, all right, ls a ass Or says Nick.
Speaker 4: On the Gambling Show, you were dunking on Victor for picking against the Jags.
Speaker 3: What do you have to say for your.
Speaker 2: Savor it for tomorrow Gambling Shows Tomorrow, we're not talking about it today. Another two and three week for me.
Speaker 4: Next, All right, Joshua says, I could see Nick is a guy who gets one line then gets blasted if he was in Star Wars, if he was in Star Wars, that is okay.
Speaker 3: Star Wars.
Speaker 2: Well, I think that might have been a cocaine joke, which is not on my menu. I I would take that, though, I would take getting in Star Wars. And then somebody lightsabers me in half or something. And here's the thing, and this is what works against me and my ability to actually get in Star Wars. I've never seen any.
Speaker 3: Of them me neither. Dude, go, m this isn't inappropriate. I've matched with this girl in Tender like two months ago.
Speaker 4: Right, and like in her bio she had ah she said Transformers or Harry Potter as like a question, yes, and she was like, right, answers, Oh it's Harry Potter, not Star Wars. She was Transformers, and like it was a real deal breaker, Like she actually did not talk to me because I chose her.
Speaker 2: Well, that's why she put that out there. She's a Harry Potter fan.
Speaker 3: Did she write it?
Speaker 2: What do you mean? Did she write the movie? Yeah, no, but I think that does you know what? I actually think that's smart. Here's the thing you wouldn't have gotten along with her. If there's someone I think that is a good way if you're trying to figure out how compatible are we. If someone is, my guess is she really likes Harry Potter and doesn't like Transformers at all. And so if your answer is I don't know anything about Harry Potter seems whack and I enjoyed Transformers, you guys aren't gonna have that much in common. All right, there's one more question to read. Nick asks Demanse, have you been chewing a piece of gum this entire podcast? And that Nick? Is this Nick? And I'm asking that Demanse, Wait.
Speaker 3: What do you mean this? I know what's you asking me?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Uh oh, you are asking It's not even on there, correct right copy.
Speaker 3: No, it's the second piece ago. It's been two.
Speaker 2: I'm angrier than I was when I when you forgot your air pods last week.
Speaker 3: You literally told me to go get the gum from the store.
Speaker 2: Yes, I didn't say to you said I'm not. You said you thought you needed to freshen your breath. So I said you were like this didn't even have a mint. I was like, no, but they have gom next door. I thought you would chew it and spit it out. We're broadcasting, man, the people were performing.
Speaker 3: Wait's is that a thing?
Speaker 2: Yeah, of course it's a thing. You have something in your mouth obstructing your tongue.
Speaker 3: I wouldn't say it's obstructing.
Speaker 2: Well, I wouldn't say it's helping.
Speaker 3: And I also haven't been chewing in the mic. Nobody's heard me chewing them.
Speaker 2: It's not the chewing in the mic, which I don't know if they ever haven't heard. No, I don't think I think you know what showed the control room. I think they are totally on my side here.
Speaker 3: They were.
Speaker 2: Yeah, look they're disappointed in you.
Speaker 3: I think Victor is disappointed in you.
Speaker 5: No.
Speaker 2: No, oh, in my shoes? Did you say? In my kicks?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 2: What did you say? No, they're not there? You're okay?
Speaker 3: All right?
Speaker 2: Well, as always, we're ending on a bang great job otherwise today, Thanks Gabe. I appreciate you watching. You know, I'm a little I'm a little disappointed.
Speaker 3: Disappointed that I've been chewing a piece of gum.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, you know, at this point, you're broadcasting career. I thought you, I thought you'd know better, but hey, that's my you know what, you know what, Luca wouldn't have done this. No, that's not what I was gonna say. There's no uh what does what did Yanna say? There's no loss, There's just lessons we've now learned. And this is ultimately an eight episode eighty some episodes out Chewing Gum decided on episode eighty seven, let me break out some gum. Maybe maybe next week you eat to eat a turkey sub during the show Who Knows? Tune in tomorrow for the gambling. Try to find out what's right.