Speaker 1: Broadcasting live from the Abraham Lincoln Radio Studio, the George Washington Broadcast Center, Jack Armstrong, Joe.
Speaker 2: Getty, Armstrong and Gatty and He.
Speaker 3: Armstrong and Getty Strong and Happy Thanksgiving. It's the Armstrong and Getty replay. I hope you eat as much as you can. I hope you're in pain by the end of the day. I know I will be.
Speaker 4: Now Here are some delicious Armstrong and Getdy leftovers.
Speaker 5: Get filled up with more of Armstrong and Getty with our podcast Armstrong and Getty on demand.
Speaker 4: Your loved one or maybe yourself wants an Armstrong and Getty hoodie, T shirt, hat or more. They're at Armstrong and Geeddy dot com.
Speaker 5: Here's the funniest thing I thought that happened on the Saturday Night Live Go Open with the guy who does Trump.
Speaker 2: He was talking about.
Speaker 5: You're in Abi Dabby Ami, Dabbi Abi dabbi do like the late great friends Flintstone.
Speaker 2: I thought that was so funny, eh boy, the late great Fred Flintstone.
Speaker 5: So I Southern News yesterday that they were going to have a voting session on the Big Beautiful Bill at ten o'clock Sunday night, and because it's the weekend, and I'm a normal human being.
Speaker 2: I didn't like.
Speaker 5: Take a second to look into that, because I thought, what the hell kind of a procedural deal is a Sunday night at ten o'clock thingy? But I just did see that the four holdouts went along with whatever and it passed, So there you go.
Speaker 4: Yeah, the four holdouts went along with whatever is a pretty good description of it. I will be a bit more detailed. And this is the reason I'm disgusted and embittered. This is the most sausagey of sausage making. If you're familiar with the old reference to politics, here's your headline from the WAPO. I'm going to read you just a little bit because it's kind of revealing of at least a couple of things.
Speaker 2: Trump's tax and immigration.
Speaker 4: Bill clears Hurtle after late night vote to the House Budget Committee passed a massive tax and immigration package central President Trump's agenda late Sunday, overcoming opposition from hardline conservatives, overspending four fiscal conservatives, all deficit hawks aligned with the old truck conservative House Freedom Caucus, changed their vote to present, allowing the legislative monstrosity. I injected that package to be recommended favorably to the House by a vote of seventeen to sixteen, but their hesitance to vote for the One Big Beautiful Bill Act out of committee is a reminder that the far right flank of the Republican Conference remains skeptical.
Speaker 2: I think I see where you're going here. Yeah.
Speaker 4: Now, it could just be your typical WAHPO journalistic bias, although the WAPO is improved somewhat lately a little bit.
Speaker 2: Anyway, I think it's.
Speaker 4: Unfortunately closer to true that I'm comfortable with that there are only a handful of like lunatic hard liners who are against the following headlines. This is from the Richard Ruben writing in The Wall Street Journal. The stark math on the GOP tax planet doesn't cut the deficit.
Speaker 2: It grows the deficit.
Speaker 4: The Republican Party, with both Houses of Congress and the White House, are going to grow the deficit. It's undeniable. Next headline, National Review, Republicans should stay the course on reducing medicaid spending. They're not going to. They're running in the other direction, partly because the incredibly smart calculating what is he up to? Josh Cawley of Missouri is all of a sudden, this is the guy now.
Speaker 2: Who led the charge to repeal Obamacare.
Speaker 4: He's now out schumering Schumer, saying that the party's Wall Street wing, a noisy contingent of corporist Republicans want to slash health insurance for the working poor.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we mentioned that.
Speaker 5: On Friday, he wrote that op ed piece that the Republicans need to back off cutting Medicare.
Speaker 4: Any Well, it's a reform of Medicaid. Any reforms are a hidden tax on working poor people. And this is and he's referring to a thirty five dollars copay for able bodied adults covered by Obamacare Medicaid for a visit to the doctor. Thirty five dollars copay is some sort of hidden tax on working poor people.
Speaker 5: And that's just the calculation that Republicans are now the party of the working class, and they feel like they got enough a working class that are on Medicaid that they Josh Holley at least doesn't want to mess with it.
Speaker 4: And a yeah, now the party of pandering to and writing checks to people to win their votes.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I was going to say that it's interesting they call these people ultra conservative of right wing, when not very many years ago you would have been the center of the Republican Party. I mean that would have been I mean as like what the Republican Party was.
Speaker 2: It was.
Speaker 5: It was, it was a term you would have used to define the party. Fact, it was so intrinsic to the Republican Party. You'd feel silly even repeating what you just repeated, right that there's no need fisically conservative. But I suppose in reality, given where most of the party is, they are ultra right wing or ultra conservative because the bulk of the party doesn't care apparently apparently not voters.
Speaker 4: So spending your children, grandchildren into tax and spend oblivion.
Speaker 5: Well all right, Well, this story got repeated a lot over the weekend that we got downgraded on one of our credit scores by one of the major organizations that does.
Speaker 2: That sort of thing.
Speaker 5: And uh, over the weekend it kind of got put out there that it was like a Trump thing because of tariffs or whatever. It was basically around the fact that our debt is just so high. It's just like this would happen to you if you go to the bank and they take a look at your well you've got with your car payments. Now you bought like eight cars and two houses, and you're just overmaxed.
Speaker 4: So you have eighty thousand dollars in credit card bills and you only make ninety a year, right, right, So they just dong Grady because you just spend more than you make.
Speaker 2: That's what happened. That didn't happen just in the last one hundred days under Trump. We've been building this for a long time.
Speaker 4: And the final reason I am completely embittered about the Republican Party in politics and America and democracy and life on Earth is the fact that, and it's a two part horror show, Part number one is that there are a bunch of swing district Republicans from big blue states California and New York most notably, who are not only trying to defend the idea of the salt deduction this state and local tax deduction, they want to raise it from ten thousand dollars to at least thirty thousand dollars and maybe fifty thousand dollars. Meaning if you live in a tax and spend lunatic state like say California, all of those incredibly high taxes you're paying, you can deduct from your federal tax return. So the other states will subsidize the tax and spend lunacy of New York and California.
Speaker 5: So my brothers in Kansas pay some of my taxes because I live in California.
Speaker 2: That makes sense.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you get a giant subsidy from the other states. You pay a lower federal tax rate, significantly lower depending on you know, how much money you make than folks in fiscally responsible states, and is indefensible morally. It's indefensible as for Republican reason, not the party, but the idea of we have a federal system than states, and the states can do what they want, and they should.
Speaker 2: Do what they want.
Speaker 4: If you're fine, if Massachusetts wants to have a sixty five percent income tax, go ahead.
Speaker 2: I'm not living there, but go ahead.
Speaker 4: But then to transfer that profligacy to the other states is it's a horror. And as a conservative slash Republican, he says, trying not to vomit because of my embitteredness, the idea that that is a plank of the Republican Party.
Speaker 2: I'm done.
Speaker 5: It's it's hard to swallow. I mean, you know, it would help Joe and I if this happens financially. But it's awful, absolutely awful.
Speaker 2: You I mean, you can't defend it.
Speaker 4: No, it's it's it's I am horrified. I don't care how much it would benefit me. God bless me. I have principles. It's really held me back in life. Jack too. I just I'm done. I'm done.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's well.
Speaker 5: Like I said last week, Sarah Isger of The Dispatch, I heard her on a podcast They're having this discussion about party, and she said, there are no political parties.
Speaker 2: What are we talking about here? Yeah?
Speaker 4: I need to seek that out because I think she nailed absolutely, one hundred percent. There are no political parties. There's just whoever emerges as the candidate, cycle by cycle, and then whatever they believe, the party goes along with. And it's true on both sides. So the idea that there are parties that stand for something, we.
Speaker 2: Need to all move past that.
Speaker 4: From my hero hl Menken, every election is a sort of advanced auction sale of stolen goods. That's always been true. There was a time when a certain party had certain principles that I admired.
Speaker 2: Do you have time has passed. You know what.
Speaker 4: My high school sweetheart, college sweetheart, my wife of forty years is. When she's not turning tricks, she's killing people for the mob. Okay, she's not a woman, I felt. This is by the way, fictional illustration has nothing to do with my beloved bride Judith.
Speaker 2: She's not the person she was. It's you can forget it. It's over, so move on. Get a get an Ai.
Speaker 4: Girlfriend like a normal person and a love bod or something I girlfriend like a normal prison.
Speaker 2: The Armstrong and Getty Show. Yeah more Jack Morgio podcasts and our hot links.
Speaker 1: Jack Armstrong and Joe Getty.
Speaker 2: The Armstrong and Getty Show. Yet another one of these? Do they run this quarterly?
Speaker 4: Is it some sort of requirement warning issue to anyone using this smiley face emoji to older people not gen Z. A smile face means you're conveying that you're happy. Yeah, but gen Z takes this grinning face to convey sarcasm or irony.
Speaker 2: And then it has the inevitable twenty three year old employee.
Speaker 4: Who says, at first I thought my coarchers were being called and sarcastic to me, and then I realized when they send a thumbs up, they really mean thumbs up because he is a sarcastically and the tone of the article is always therefore, you're you. Older people really ought to be careful in a.
Speaker 5: Finger and they should switch to the way we do it as opposed the other way around.
Speaker 4: Yes, I would say to Hovey's at BESHI, twenty one year old intern, excuse me, I run this place.
Speaker 2: I own this place. People like me run the world. So you figured out.
Speaker 5: My son sends me the emoji with the tears streaming down the face. Yes, at what seemed to me inappropriate times, it seems to mean something different to freshmen in high school than all the other adults who ever send me the emoji with tears streaming down the face?
Speaker 2: Yes, k, Katie, you're not old and bitter. Well, don't go that better.
Speaker 6: But several of my younger friends send me that, which usually would mean like you're crying legitimately, like.
Speaker 5: You were really touched by something, or you know, my dog just died, or I heard about your mom or whatever.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it means something's hilarious now, like you're crying, you're laughing song.
Speaker 5: Okay, that's what I kind of picked up on. I thought, this is highly inappropriate. Does this mean you're laughing?
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, I cracked. You have a laughing till you're crying, right they do.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 6: I cracked a joke to one of my girlfriends and I sent her that and she sent me one of those back, and I was like, did something just happen?
Speaker 2: What's wrong? She's like, that's exactly that what I have. And I thought, oh, geez, I hurt somebody's feelings.
Speaker 6: Yeah, exact same thing came over me. I was like, what did I do? No, that's just their laughing face. Now are we talking about the tears streaming down?
Speaker 7: Yeah?
Speaker 4: See, we used that in my family a lot. Like I didn't get the wordle So you're really upset.
Speaker 5: Yeah, but you're you're you're you're you're being sarcastic about how upset you are. Yes, exaggerating, Yeah, but it's kind of the opposite meaning for my son.
Speaker 2: Okay, now I get it. I'm laughing so hard I'm even though they've got one of those already.
Speaker 4: My favorite texting story of all time, and it will be for the rest of my life, was the woman who said I'm sorry I didn't get back to you my mom just passed away, and her friend replied lol, thinking it meant lots of love.
Speaker 2: To me. They no longer speak.
Speaker 4: And I'm lolling now is the ironic concluded?
Speaker 2: That's sorry anyway?
Speaker 5: So to get like this, I feel like lol is like charity laugh or you know what is that term where you you laugh? You know, somebody says simple sympathy laugh at this point and I and then I don't know how to respond with a that actually is freaking funny.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, well I don't know.
Speaker 5: I usually write out because I don't use emojis, because I'm a grown up. I usually write out. I actually laughed out loud at that. That was very funny, like that much it's something really long and tedious.
Speaker 6: You're such a boomer, or you just send the word funny with zero punctuations, so you can't tell if you're being serious or not.
Speaker 2: I have done that.
Speaker 4: I will frequently respond ha because I was laughing lots of oz. Yeah. So, but there's more linguists studying emojis. Emoji, I think I'm supposed to say I'm not Japanese, all right. Have also pointed out that the symbols new meetings can often emerge from slang that older users might not be aware of. For example, older social media users might see the skull emoji as a literal symbol of death or a sign that someone is figuratively dead, isn't dead, tired or dead to me, whatever, But for the younger users, the skull is used to say I'm dead, which means that they found something hilarious and have died laughing.
Speaker 5: Oh okay, the skull is that was really funny. I'm gonna hit somebody I can. I can think of people i'd hit with that today would be very confused.
Speaker 4: While the sparkle emoji is frequently someone being sarcastic about how something, how good something is, and too much sarcasm. But here's the part I found really interesting.
Speaker 5: So I send to like. If somebody says, hey, I got that promotion at work, I respond with an eggplant and then sprays of water.
Speaker 2: Is that the proper thing? Good Lord? Yes? Yes, do that?
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's perfect, Oh my god. Or if you give a thumbs up and a sparkle, they'll think you're mocking them, which is again, we run the world. We old people run the world. You adapt us. But is your youngster texting about cannabis, for instance, sometimes known as pot or marijuana. The shamrock, the leaf, the maple leaf, the lemon, the grape, the watermelon, the strawberry, the cherry, the pineapple, the dog face, the candy, the cake, the ice cream cone, and the cookie can all be references to cannabis.
Speaker 2: Because I understand it.
Speaker 5: The egg plant is the traditional vegetable of success, and so if somebody has some good news.
Speaker 2: Keep believe in that, jack and use it frequently. Jack.
Speaker 4: These emoji can be references to cocaine, a rocket ship, a fish, a gas pump, a snowman or a snowflake.
Speaker 2: They're all sorts of drugs.
Speaker 4: Uh, sexting the peach which looks like God forgive me a woman's hind end, or the egg plant, the water you mentioned, or cherries.
Speaker 2: Let's see.
Speaker 6: I was embarrassingly baffled the other day when I got a text message from a friend that said kiss my and then there was a peach emoji, and I'm going, this is my peach?
Speaker 2: What do you mean? I saw somebody with a cherries tattoo on them? What does that mean? You, Katie? Is that a girl? What's that mean? Women.
Speaker 6: Cherries were trendy late nineties early two thousands, But I don't know if.
Speaker 2: That meaning what was the message A delicious fruit? It was just a cute pattern.
Speaker 5: Okay, So okay, it didn't mean anything, all right, that's fine, doesn't need.
Speaker 2: To We're looking it up.
Speaker 4: Oh.
Speaker 6: Often associated with sensuality, feminine power, innocence, and youth.
Speaker 2: Okay, According to an Instagram post, that's a stupid tattoo. Don't get that and if you haven't, get it removed. Arm Strong and the Armstrong and Getty shar So.
Speaker 4: Speaking of technology a different sort than an AI story, I am completely convinced that mankind has invented its doom. I'm just there's nothing I can do about it, so I try not to worry about it. I hope my kids are smart and savvy enough to, you know, to have happy lives in spite of the coming.
Speaker 2: AI apocalypse.
Speaker 5: If nothing else, the biggest change in the shortest amount of time that's probably ever happened, which would be whip sawing, even if it turns out okay.
Speaker 2: Yes, yeah.
Speaker 4: Alicia Finley, who writes for the Journal opinion page, who I think is just terrific one of my favorite writers.
Speaker 2: Has a piece today. I think it is recently.
Speaker 4: Analyzing what people are saying so far, including the CEO of Amazon about AI with that employee memo that he sent out, the key line of which was, we will need fewer people doing some of the jobs that are being done today and more people doing other types of jobs, and that the people who will keep their jobs are people who learn how to use AI effectively. And he explained that AI advances me and employees will do less wrote work and more thinking strategically, which sounds really super great. And all this will require high level of cognition than does the rote work many white color employees now do. But as AI is getting smarter, I'll start quoting Alicia. Now, Younger college grads may be getting dumber. Like early versions of chat GBT. They can regurgitate information and ideas, but struggle to come up with novel insights or analyze issues from different directions. And then she goes in an interesting direction, and this is the fruit of the tree of knowledge stuff. We don't know what we're doing to ourselves, she mentions. The brain continues to develop and mature into one's mid twenties. Some of us longer than that, but like a muscle, it needs to be exercise, stimulated, and challenged to grow stronger. Technology and especially AI, can stunt this development by doing the mental work that builds the brain's version of a computer cloud, a phenomenon called cognitive offloading.
Speaker 2: Cool. Yeah, yeah, cool, But.
Speaker 4: Growing research shows and I remember we talked about this a while ago. We had a debate about cursive cursive writing, which seems silly and unnecessary in handwriting in general. But then these studies have come out that show that handwriting engages parts of your brain that play a crucial role in learning and help children with word and letter recognition. But more than that, taking notes by hand also promotes memory development by forcing you to synthesize and prioritize information. When you plunk away on a keyboard. On the other hand, information can go as it were, in one ear and out the other. And then they study the electrical activity of university students during the activities of handwriting and typing, and the way their brains worked were very, very different. Now that's just kind of a side point to the greater point, which is the dopey grunt work that now the computers do do or the AI can do is the very dope y grunt work that give builds the neural muscles it takes to do the more advanced stuff. You can't skip to bench pressing two hundred and fifty pounds having not bench pressed one hundred pounds ever, neurologically speaking.
Speaker 5: That's really interesting. I was just thinking in my own life, I do some I hate the term journaling. I don't know, it sounds so woosy. My son would say gay and so at all is high school friends, including gay ones.
Speaker 2: But funny, isn't it. Uh?
Speaker 5: But anyway, writing about things that are you know, difficult to try to get them out or figure them out. But I do it a lot, typing into my notes and my phone, and you're you're saying that doesn't count, that that doesn't work right. Interesting way, I mean to be completely wasting my time. I hate handwriting. I did say I'm left handed, I have short fingers. I just the physical act of handwriting.
Speaker 2: I hate.
Speaker 5: It's just physically that's funny. My my my son who's left handed, is that way. He just he just he almost says it hurts. It's just like it's physically awful for him to do.
Speaker 4: It does get kind of crampy because you're taught that your letters ought to have a certain slam slant. And if you're left handed you have to like form a hook with your hand, and right.
Speaker 2: Sideways you're some sort of degenerates. We all, we all know it. Well, you know, if you don't know this, you should.
Speaker 4: The The word sinister is Latin for left handed for good reason, right, and what's the uh the uh the equivalent right hand and it's like noble or something. Anyway, that's why I'm a Satanist. Anyway, moving along, then you get well, I kind of made the point already. But if you don't do the stuff to work up to the advanced stuff, you'll never be able to do the advanced stuff.
Speaker 2: And college and high.
Speaker 4: School students are increasingly using large language models like chat GPT to write papers, perform mathematical proofs, and create computer code. That means they don't learn to think through, express or defend ideas. And Aha moments occur spontaneously within your brain with a sudden burst of high frequency electrical activity.
Speaker 2: When the brain connects seemingly unrelated concepts, it finds the connections and sees patterns and then it says, oh, wow, and we're denying ourselves all of the grunt work to get there. Wow. That's interesting.
Speaker 5: I've had that happen with music before, with after years of doing well. It's like learning scales and then something else, and then somehow it all comes together at one point. Yeah, it makes sense so that it can happen with this other stuff. But we're stitch in the first part. We're skipping the scale.
Speaker 4: RNE as a quick aside, and I realized this sounds kind of silly and makes it clear that I'm an old bastard at this point.
Speaker 2: But Judy and I are really into doing crossword puzzles.
Speaker 4: We do like the hard New York times like Friday through Sunday crossword puzzles, and I will and we do him as a team, which is fun and brings us together. But I will be utterly stumped. Saturday's the hardest one. Sunday's kind of a mind blank because often there's a trick within the puzzle.
Speaker 2: But Saturday is really hard.
Speaker 4: And often I will be completely stumped, and I will go away for an hour two hours. I will come back and I will crush it. What happened there? That's worth thinking about.
Speaker 5: How I've been utilizing that my whole life, like writing papers for school.
Speaker 2: I always knew that.
Speaker 5: If I thought about it, thought about it, thought about it, couldn't come.
Speaker 2: Up with it. If I slept, I'd wake up and I'd have it. I would have it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Well, and I won't tell you what does happen.
Speaker 5: I'm reading this book right now. It's a Graham Green. He's a fantastic author. I've never written his stuff, but he's in this novel I'm reading right now about an author. So he's talking about himself basically. But how writing is something that happens while you're not thinking about it. He says, you're gathering all this information, coming up with plot ideas, and then the writing happens when you're not thinking about it, and then it comes out on the page. So it's just exactly what you're describing. It's your brain is doing something while you're asleep or occupied doing something else, synthesizes it and then it comes out.
Speaker 4: Or and this is a bit of a quibble, and this is what I was about to say. I'm not going to lecture you, but I now discipline myself harshly using a lash to be bored a certain amount of the day, to be doing nothing, reading nothing, looking at nothing but the trees and the sky and my dog peeing over there. I am committed to being not occupied a certain chunk of the day.
Speaker 5: So you're like Putty Elaine's boyfriend sitting on the plane just staring at the seatback.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm fine. Do you want something to read? No, I'm a right. Oh anything, crossword puzzle, I'm fine. Yeah.
Speaker 4: I sat next to a lady like that a few months ago. I think I talked about it on the air, and it was freaking me out. It was weird me out. I was like, is she going to take over the plane or kill me or explode into a rage or this is not natural shoes are going to catch on fire. But take time to daydreams. Seriously.
Speaker 5: Earlier, we were talking about the new Tesla robotaxis.
Speaker 2: One of them.
Speaker 5: Paused in an intersection in Austin or something like that and made some news. But I would see the automated driving on the Tesla, which kind of fits into the AI stuff, is so much better than it was three years ago when I first started writing Tesla.
Speaker 2: I mean, it's night and day, and it's so good now.
Speaker 5: And I never thought I would have any interest in using automated driving, similar to the first time I ever saw somebody texting and learned about it, I thought, why would anybody do that? And then obviously we all text constantly. Now I use automated driving all the time. When I drive my vehicle that doesn't have it, it seems like, oh, this is kind of a pain in the ass, So convert, don't well, don't pretend you know what things you'll like, and you don't. I know in my own life, I've been proven wrong multiple times.
Speaker 4: So the NFL is about to change thanks to AI, and they in the Athletic they're talking about how coaches are already using AI to analyze tendencies of opponents and that sort of thing. They use the example of there's a wide gulf between the math used to optimize fourth down decisions and a voiced AI agent telling you to look out for the weak side linebacker while you're sitting alone in your office on a Tuesday night. This assistant coach who's the offensive coordinator for the Falcon says, I'm getting a little scared.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I could see where this would go. Very quickly, and there are I mean, without even thinking of reading with this or thinking about it, I just AI could crunch the last five years of all the plays. Say, look eighty seven percent of the time, the other team is going to do this in this situation, and you react to it, and then that will be cool up until the point that it's just AI against AI. You know, a season from now.
Speaker 4: Your computer telling you what play to run in their computer are telling them how to counter it. Having a pretty good idea what's coming. And they're talking about coaches being replaced entirely, but he just already have. This guy was hired by the Raiders as the head coach research specialist, but the job may be better understood as AI coordinator. He uses AI every single day. He's clearly going to happen. I don't know why I hadn't thought about this before. This is clearly going to happen.
Speaker 5: You got super smart people who study, like like maniacs for this stuff to make decisions in the like forty five seconds you have before between plays or whatever it is, and now AI.
Speaker 2: Is going to be able to do it. Let me read you some of this.
Speaker 4: I feel pretty confident saying that some team is going to win a Super Bowl in the next few years utilizing AI at a very high rate, significantly higher than it's ever been used before, said this coach. It's really an opportunity to differentiate your differentiate yourself from a team that might have a more talented roster.
Speaker 2: Better coaches or whatnot.
Speaker 4: Ruin, there's just going to be more and more separation with teams that are have bought in.
Speaker 5: Yeah, they might have to outlaw that. I mean because it's similar to when computers got better at chess than humans and people thought that'd be the end of chess or whatever. No, people still like watching the best humans play each other, even though they're a computer out there could beat either.
Speaker 2: One of them.
Speaker 5: Who cares? You still want to know who the best human is. I think knowing who the best humans are at guessing the plays is more fun than two computers battling it out right.
Speaker 4: It'll be so interesting to see how the league and the rules adapt to this and how people will then cheat. Because they're talking about there are systems that can watch game film, sure of multiple teams, multiple games, analyze it come up with the probabilities. The next layer, they say is understanding personnel as well, because, as they put it, Fourth and One with Mike Vick and Algae Crumpler looks a lot different than Fourth and One with Kirk Cousins and Kyle Bitts.
Speaker 2: Hey, I fear for that. Hey, I will figure that out because they can take it into much of give it a week. Armstrong and Genny Christmas Shopping. Sometimes it's so tough.
Speaker 8: It can feel like you're just buying a bunch of random stuff. Get focus, stand, spend your money right. We've got the perfect gift, but special person in your life. The Armstrong and Gunny super Stone Shop Now, I'm Strong and Ganny.
Speaker 1: Dot Com The Armstrong and Getty Show.
Speaker 7: Eight months after the election, Democrats are still trying to dig themselves out of a hole, but a new poll from the Wall Street Journal paints a bleak picture. It reveals only thirty three percent of registered voters today view Democrats favorably, while a staggering sixty three percent see them negatively. That's the worst rating from the same poll since nineteen ninety.
Speaker 4: At Saisha Hasny on Special Report Last Night with Brett Brettbaar, Fox News Slash so Yes Analysis in a Moment I found this next segment pretty interesting though.
Speaker 2: Go ahead, Aisha. We're in the doghouse yet again.
Speaker 5: We certainly do have a problem, and it's a messaging problem.
Speaker 7: If messaging is the problem, the new poll signals Democrats attacking President Trump isn't working at least yet. That's because even when more voters disapprove of Trump on issues like inflation, they still trust congressional Republicans more than Democrats to handle that issue by a whopping ten points. On immigration, the same thing, More voters disapprove of Trump's handling of the matter, but Republicans once again are trusted more than Democrats to manage it.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I don't know.
Speaker 5: I don't know if I believe this analysis that people have been going with. I think it's the crazy factor. It's the uh, I don't know. You've got a friend who does a few things that are just so crazy you don't trust his judgment on anything else.
Speaker 2: I think that's what's driving it. It's not that.
Speaker 5: Yeah, the Democrats view of the economy is specifically blah blah blah.
Speaker 9: It said, you're the people that want boys plan girls. You're the people that want me to say LATINEX. You're the people that think we shouldn't have police. I don't trust you on anything. I think it's the crazy factor. Yeah you put a grown man in my little girl's locker room. Yeah exactly.
Speaker 4: But to her point though, and it's not in contrast to your point, it's agreeing with it. So like on inflation and rising prices, Trump is eleven points underwater, okay, but the Republicans in general are ten points to the positive. So what Trump's doing right now on immigration he sees just three points underwater, but generally speaking Republicans that are Democrats seventeen.
Speaker 2: Point advantage for Republicans.
Speaker 4: So there are momentarily momentary quibbles with the way Trump is approaching this, that or the other, But in terms of general philosophy that I don't care. I want the Republicans, which again I don't think disagrees with your point.
Speaker 2: I think it agrees with it.
Speaker 4: Why do they have that percent or why do they lean so strongly that way?
Speaker 2: Because they think that Democrats have lost their effing mind.
Speaker 4: Let's see, So the Democrats are thirty three percent favorable, sixty three percent unfavorable, far weaker assessment than voters give to either President Trump or the Republican Party.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they're underwater.
Speaker 4: But of course political parties ought to be underwater, remember when you got their opponents, and number two you got neutrals or independence and their own party members who'd like them to change what they're.
Speaker 2: Doing a little bit.
Speaker 4: But anyway, Trump is seven percent underwater and Republicans are eleven percent underwater. But again keep in mind, the Democrats are thirty points underwater.
Speaker 5: Yeah, as always that number of people that are unhappy with the Democrats, it's a certain chunk who think they're crazy, like I was just talking about, and a certain chunk, smaller chunk, but a certain chunk that thinks they haven't gone far enough, they haven't stuck to their guns on I's issues and defunding the police and climate change and all the other important things.
Speaker 4: Which is even worse news, really, But a mere eight percent of voters view the Democrats very favorably, two and a half times as many have the same level of enthusiasm for the GOP.
Speaker 5: I we got a long way to go on what direction? You know what the Democratic Party is going to look like next presidential election. But I keep hearing people like smart people throughout AOC is the current front runner slash face of the Democratic Party, and she probably is.
Speaker 2: Who else would have doomed They are doomed, doomed. If it was you that go ahead, try it.
Speaker 4: I don't know who else would it be as a rhetorical question, but the answer is a blue state governor who's a moderate.
Speaker 5: Yeah, but it's got to be a human being so that yeah, you're right, but it's got to be an actual name at some point.
Speaker 4: I mean, I could throw out a list, but nobody, nobody is talking about Bill Clinton. Nobody's throw We're talking about Bill Clinton even after he entered Sure, Armstrong and Getty