Speaker 1: Hey, Hey, hey guys, It's me Tiffany and it's Manjo. We just want to say thank you guys. You guys are amazing thanks to you. Since we started our podcast, it was just me and Mandy listening to ourselves to now we get over one hundred thousand downloads a month, and I know it seems like that's awesome, but we can do even better. And we have a favor to ask, just.
Speaker 2: A tiny favor, if you could please share our show. Share it on your social media. You can tag us at Brown Ambition Podcast. Take a screenshot of the show that you're listening to and share it on Twitter, on Insta, on Facebook, tell a friend to tell a friend. You can tag us on social media. We're at Brown Ambition Podcast on Insta, at the BA Podcast on Twitter, and of course our Facebook group. You can find us under Brown Ambition. Don't forget to tag our personal handles too. On Insta. I'm at Mandy Money Mandy with an Ie, and Tiffany is at the Budget Nista. When you tag us, we will share your post and help amplify it even further. Thank y'all for all the love this is just gonna help us give us that little extra brown boost.
Speaker 1: Hey hey, hey, we're back. We're black, We're bread ambishon.
Speaker 2: Thank hey, hey, thank you for reminding me that I need to design a new T shirt tonight because people have been asking for that on a T shirt.
Speaker 1: Oh hey, hey, hey, we're back. We're black, We're brown a bus.
Speaker 2: We're back. We're black, We're brown ambition. Yes, Yes, coming to a Brown Ambition Store dot com near you. I love that you're gonna time this episodes up And thank y'all for checking out our merch. Y'all have been asking for it for a while and now you can get your b a swag on again. It's Brown Ambition Store dot com. Check us out.
Speaker 1: Yes, super cutie, so cute. You know what I did recently. I know I'm all late, but I listened to the Blackest King album.
Speaker 2: I was like, wait, wait, the Lion King album that Beyonce did.
Speaker 1: I'm late. I'm late, like CPA time, okay, okay.
Speaker 2: So I was like, this is really good, but you can't tell anybody because everyone already knows it's good and you have to know that you're late.
Speaker 1: I know, I'm solute late. And then I actually watched because you know. I was like over my friend's house and so, go, have you watched Blackest King? And I've had it playing in the background, but I haven't like sat to watch it. And I watched it and I was like, yo, Beyonce. Honestly, mm mm mmm, she took all my edges. Okay, I'm doing I have have new gro on my edges to to reclaim them. Because the video, I mean, you know, the wole production, it's tough, was amazing. But then the songs like I love Already, Oh my god, that's like my favorite song in water, I love who Chap?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I just I know.
Speaker 1: I'm late, super duper late, but excellent.
Speaker 2: Well, you know, so late. We can find a relevant segue, which is that they're doing a sequel, live action Lion King. I read and the same director who I believe directed Moonlight, who's Barry Jenkins. Is that right? Yes, that sounds right, feels right, fact check me all he's going to direct it, which is amazing.
Speaker 1: Yes, can we give a moment of delicious black silence for Barry super super black.
Speaker 3: Name.
Speaker 1: My name is Banji. I love it.
Speaker 2: A good old berry, good old Barry. Yeah, I'm excited about that I was just wait a second, oh, my cousin. I have been harassing my cousins in Georgia, y'all. I don't know if it's okay or not, but I feel this weekend my brothers, my brother's in town. Me back up, my little brother's in town. He and I are just like, you know, on the exact same wavelength. My poor husband's just like, oh, these two we just talked for hours about politics and whatever is going on. But anyway, he lives in Georgia, and I was like, I really feel this need to make sure that my family and Georgia is registered to vote, because Loki, I don't think they all are. And I'm not naming names, but I'm like, they're pretty vocal about things, but like, I really don't hear any of them talk about voting. And then when I found out the deadline to register in georgia's actually today. We're taping on Monday, October fifth, Today's a deadline to register online, and so I was just like texting. I tried to call them last night, they didn't answer. I was like facebooking them. They say that they're registered. So I just like in New York, I don't know, I feel like my progressive views here in New York are not so special, but Georgia is like Georgia could really I mean Georgia's purple and they really could be on the way to a change, like a historic change in terms of how they vote. And I don't know. I'm just trying to channel all my nervous energy about twenty twent you want into the election, into trying to get people to register. So this is my call to action for everybody. Please make sure you're registered to vote. Check our show notes for a link to how you can check to see if you're registered. I triple checked because I was just like so nervous that I wasn't going to be registered. And in Georgia, have you heard about, you know, Stacy Abrams, her whole, her whole campaign for governor in Georgia was side railed by blatant voter suppression. In one of the ways in Georgia that they're notorious for doing that is just purging people from the registered polls. So you do everything right, except maybe you forget a letter in your address or a letter in your name or nothing at all, and you can just be unregistered and not find out so until you show up to vote. Yeah, so even if you think you're registered, triple.
Speaker 1: Check people are just so the Devil is busy, what is it? What did old black folks say? The Devil ain't got no new tricks.
Speaker 2: I mean, he's very I mean the wait, the Devil is twenty twenty. The Devil is a play. I mean, but like, if you're going to come through and burn everything down, can you can you get Trump on the way?
Speaker 1: Like well, I'm not saying, but I'm saying the White House is, uh this way, but in some good news. This is like random but not so random. So I don't know if y'all knew. But again, I've been wanting to make Molly Moore show remember we talked about that. That was like, oh, I want to make Molly Moore show girl. Yes, So I was like simple enough because obviously, like you know, I can do it. I interviewed some animators because not to be confused with illustrators. Illustrator is you know, they draw great animation, you have to bring it to life, make it move. But I thought, oh, same thing, right, No, no, because literally I just found out that for one second of animation, it might be anywhere from twelve to twenty four drawings. Mandy. I was like, wait, what, So you're looking at a one minute animation going from like three thousand dollars for one full finish minute up to fifty thousand dollars. I'm talking about Disney movies. And so I was like, yeah, I can't have had that.
Speaker 2: You were gonna make your own TV show or wait til no?
Speaker 1: I told myself I was gonna. I wanted to do like a minimal viable product by like maybe making my own Molly Moore episodes. You know. Then I priced out animators and I was like, oh, I don't have that level of coin. So I was getting kind of discouraged because if you know, you know, like I'm really not wanting to sell Molly Moore. But then, you know, because I, like I said, I did my Googles, but I also interviewed three different animators and they were like, yeah, girl, that's what you're looking at. But then I remember my illustrator himself. He told me when we first met that he also did some animation, and I was like, you know what, I didn't even reach out to him, let me paying him. I did, and I asked him you know, do you know, do you have any examples of some of your animation? He sent it It looked awesome, and I was like, wait, if could I pay you to be because I had asked me a year ago one day when Molly Moore is big time, I want you to work for Molly Moore full time, you know. So we kind of like, you know, had like a moment on that, and then I was like, what would it cost to bring you on full time to animate? And then how many videos could I expect? He was like three, three on the low end of twelve minute videos and on the high end, you know, four to six, depending and like what else he's working on? And so he agreed to come on full time. And the price is like, you know, the cost is his salary, but it's more than reasonable. I'll just say this, it's like the cost of six minutes of animation his annual salary. That's what it would be. And although I don't Molly Moore is not making that as far as consistently like monthly, But I just got a school system just agreed to buy four thousand Molly Moore books, and so it gives me the money I need to be able to pay him to lock him down for a year, including insurance. So I'm like super geeked Ben, I'll be able to like start developing Molly Moore's own show. You'll have a friend that has her own cartoon that she's making herself.
Speaker 2: I love it own own, own owner.
Speaker 1: Yes, we own ownership equals wealth. So I'm just like super excited about it. I just talked to him today and he was like, hey, yeah, I want to come on full time because you know what creators. The issue is creatives. The issue is oftentimes payment, Like people don't pay on time. You have to chase people down for your money. You have to get all these different contracts. And he was like, honestly, Tiffany, it would be so nice to have one person that pays me and you you know, we've worked together for a number of years, and you know I don't have to chase down anybody else for my money, and then I can work on some passion things on my own without having to worry about how am I going to eat.
Speaker 2: So or his insurance.
Speaker 1: Yeah, which is amazing, Yes, because I told him because first he told me how much, and I said, well, we don't have insurance yet at our company. So I need you to because his where he works now, they provide insurance. I said, so I need you to get with an insurance agent and find out how much it's going to cost you annually and fold that in to what you said that you'll need. So he did, and then I asked some sank on it because I told him today, I like to I like to overpay. I like to overpay my my black and brown folks, you know. So I was like, well, let's add like, you know, four or five thousand dollars to that. He was like really, I was like, yes, because you deserve you go above and beyond. And I know that you're going to go above and beyond more even more so than this extra five that I'm going to add to it. And because he did with the book, and so I just feel like, when you pay people, well, then they show up well. When you pay let me back it up, when you pay good people, well, they show up even better. And so he has already shown me with this first book. He's gone. He went above and beyond what was supposed to be a one year project drug onto two years, and he killed it every step of the way. So so I'm just excited to have him on and I'm like, I would say his name, but y'all so nosy. Everybody was hiring him after I wrote the book and I was like, I need him. Shoot, so I'm not saying his name.
Speaker 2: And for people who are new work, can they find out about Molly Moore you're children?
Speaker 1: Oh, you can go to mollymore dot com m A l I m o r E. The website is brand new. It looks I'm not gonna lie, Mandy, I'm the website looks so adorable.
Speaker 2: I haven't been since the kickstarter.
Speaker 1: Yes, no, it looks we just actually it just finished like a couple of days ago. It is so do I love the website. So mollymore dot com m A l I m o r E. You can get you a book and you definitely will see the illustrator name. I mean, I don't mind, but just you know, you you could have him to the end of the year, but I got to.
Speaker 2: Like, you know, hide people like that. I know boarding all the town I.
Speaker 1: Know, and the truth is like what whatever, Like I'm like, you know, it's not like his name is not all over all the books.
Speaker 2: So yeah, that is some good news. I'm glad you're able to find the solution because the animation is insanely expensive. Yes, I remember from when I used to produce videos at Yahoo. But can we talk for a minute about how the rona has come come for the White House? Can y'all please wear a mask? Do you think he really has to say? What?
Speaker 1: Do you think he really had the rona? And or he's just saying it because of all the ship chill that was the debate oh him, Yeah, calling out the Proud Boys and stuff.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was actually pretty fortunate that we recorded our episode last Monday, and by like Tuesday night happened and then our show came out, and oh my god, because I don't know what I would have even said about that debate. I don't know. I know that there's so much mistrust, of distrust, whatever, trust lack of trust for this administration because they just lie la la la, lie through their teeth and through their tweets on a constant basis. But to the extent where all these people have COVID, it's it's it just seems very logical that he's got it, because it seems like all of his inner circle got it. And the super Spreader event appear appeared to have been this this reception for his Supreme Court nominee Amy It is it comy or cony. I forget Barrett, but yeah, they issue that he is apparently getting discharged, and he went on some like Twitter trade last night. But I don't even want to focus energy on that. I just need people like this is just a reminder because he I think with the thing that he tweeted when he was discharged today again this is Monday, October fifth, when we're recording, was something about how, you know, don't be afraid of COVID nineteen. Don't be afraid of it. Oh my God, like, oh my, honestly be afraid. You guys be afraid. Please be afraid to wear a mask, please.
Speaker 1: Harm on people.
Speaker 2: But Lord Jesus, I'm afraid to say what I've been saying to my friend. I'm afraid to.
Speaker 1: Say it on the record, like like our friend, because people are like, oh, you know how like Joe Biden and his wife, They're like, oh, you know, we're praying for you. I'm going to quote my friend lovey Jesus, Hakim Christ is busy. I am not praying for that man.
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah we can, we can. We can air quote, we can, we can quote lovey on that. That's good. I'll stand by I will endorse her statements. Yeah, it's making me feel some very Unchristian feelings, That's all I'm gonna say. But it is what it is. And I but the thing is we have for those of you at home. I mean, it's you've got to you've got to protect yourselves. I really don't, you know, in New York, I just feel like we're heading into flu season. It feels like there's this some you know, false sense of security. But with the election coming, we need everybody to be healthy and to be out there voting, especially if you're black or brown. Not only is COVID impacting our communities at more like disproportionate rates, We're dying from COVID more than any other group. We have got to take this seriously. And if you have family who has been impacted by COVID or not, where there they seem to have, you know, flouted regulations or not. Sorry, God forbid, we have regulations flouted, uh, you know, guidance from our you know, scientists and science out there saying to wear masks and sanitize and all that. Just try and and and get them on board. It really is so simple to wear a mask, and I just can't get around like it's so selfish not to It's these people out here saying that wearing a mask is a choice, it is an individual choice. And how they're exercising, Like, what do they think they're exercising? Just their freedom to be a jackass, That's what it is. Because it's not about you. It's about the person who you don't know walking by you on the sidewalk, who may have a pre existing condition, or may live with someone who has a pre existing condition. And how many people who have indirectly you know, killed someone because of their own negligence and their own selfish behavior. It just is I blah blah blah. Wear a mask. Please, please, please, please wear a mask and vote.
Speaker 1: Yes, please please, for the love of all.
Speaker 2: Things, I'm begging you, begging you that everyone is. I mean, what does it feel like in your in your circle? Because I I I'm on Twitter and it's I feel people in my circle just like colleagues and you know friends. Over the years and stuff, people are starting to crack up. I think a little bit, just like, really, the fear is the anxiety. People are so so afraid, and I'll put myself in that, you know, that same category, so afraid of what's going to happen November three. I don't know that I can even process a world and with like a thought of what would happen if you know, he coulds re elected.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm honestly, I just I can't. It's too much. So I just said, you know what I am. I honestly, I don't know. I don't know what I would Honestly, I feel like we would all fall into this deep depression. I just I've just yeah, I just decided that I'm just going to take it one day at a time, focus on like what I'm able to do, because it's too much. That's why I did not watch the debates.
Speaker 2: You know, if you don't watch the debate, you got to watch them. Well, you don't not watch the debate.
Speaker 1: But no, I said, I can't do it.
Speaker 2: I can't do it.
Speaker 1: I can do it. I was like, you know what, I'll get enough of the clips later to depress my life, but yeah, I can't do it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean I choose to watch the debates because I want to be a witness to this moment. I want to drink in the pain. I want to feel the pain. I want to like rake my core over the coals and just feel the pain of what our you know, negligence and in action has created. I mean, I don't mean to be that sounds really dramatic, but I genuinely feel like we have so much responsibility and what our elected officials do and who our elect officials are, and we've just forgotten how much power we have. I think, so it's just we we really have and I just never ever want to forget. I never want to forget how I felt watching that ninety minutes, like I wanted to crawl out of my skin at what, you know, what we allowed to happen. And I never want I just I just don't want us to ever forget. You know, this can't be. This can't be a four year period that just just becomes a blip. We have it. I wanted to scare future generations. I want rio to be like, how did you let this happen? I will never yeah, like do better, do better than us, because I just it can't happen again. And we've got to we've got to like and I guess this is where I can be. I get excited and optimistic. Is that, you know, if we really do take this seriously and will truly change and they come out and vote and they get more involved, not just in presidential elections but all the little ones that really matter, that we'll see lasting change. And that is so I pray. I'm like praying please again, Like if you're not registered yet or you're not sure, double check check our show notes for the link to where you can check to see if you're registered. And then I think even the Obama's you know, posted this week and said, if there's one thing you can do for us on it, what is at their wedding anniversary, it's convinced someone who may not vote to vote, please do because on one hundred million people did not vote in twenty sixteen, one hundred million people, Like, we have got to get out there, y'all. So put your centicism in a bag, put it, you know, throw it over your shoulder and just carry it with you to the polls. Okay, you can be a cynic and still vote, but please wait.
Speaker 1: Exactly, it's just we are living through the what's the worst thing that can happen? We are living through that now it can actually get worse than.
Speaker 2: This, So it can. It has every day every day, every day, every day. But what I mean like the feelings of like what you can control. I mean, I definitely feel like work, I feel like money. I've just been like just hanging on to anything, any hanging on to any any, any little thing that I can to feel like I have some kind of control until I can, like like I wish that when I go to the election, I just want to, like I just want to like stop my foot in it, Like I just want like the not like I'm just imagining the ballot like I just want to take this pen or whatever I'm gonna like, how do you even forget now? Is it like digital? I don't know what it's going to be. I want to I'm going to put elbow grease into into hitting Joe Biden's name on that ballot. I just and I'm going to skip on out of there because I I I I I can't. I'm gonna stop now, Please stop stop me, Please stop that. I can't. I didn't take myself off today, as you can tell. Oh, I just remembered, well.
Speaker 1: I mean, I don't even know it's gonna sound a brighter. No, I don't know that.
Speaker 2: You keep trying, you keep trying to bring it back, and I keep breaking.
Speaker 1: But I'm like fall is coming, the leaves are changing. It's pretty less.
Speaker 2: And now this weekend was beautiful and we did get our butts out and we went to like an uh am I some of my little brothers in town. Actually I kicked all three of the boys outside. I was like, go burn some wood, just because like it can't be in here making noise, making a rocket. So they're out there just staring at a fire pit right now in our backyard.
Speaker 1: Like that, like like whatever. Like if I my husband doesn't not like for his his friend, they don't listen to the podcast anyway to know that he's like a lightweight when it comes to drinking, because he doesn't drink and so like, you know, one beer, two and you like, I'm like, he's two is like oh so you just you want alcohol poisoning.
Speaker 2: That's how exactly that's what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: It's so crazy because after one he's like, WHOA, I had it. I'm like, brouh, I can do more than one. And I don't even drink. So it's funny when he's out there, like with the fella, it's like, you know, just having a bouski. I'm like, you don't even bruskie, but I I could see him, and I see him nursing it like a little sip babysit. And then I go out there later beer more than halfway in the thing, and I'm like, oh, I hope you fool them into thinking that you're out here just you know, getting down with the boys.
Speaker 2: But they love burning stuff, like just burn. I'm like, here's we have this big pile of wood. I'm just like, just sit here and put one piece out of time and just burn and just like, yeah, look at us burn and fire. Rio will he'll learn from the boys. But it's been nice having him here, and he has having my little brother here. It's just been because he's so you know, he's athletic and he's fit, and so he's been getting me walking. We went on a little hike to this this damn this park nearby, and it's been really nice to have like a little walking buddy. And we went to what an orchard and you know, we had to get the picture of the baby and the pumpkin patch. Although I will say next year, I will save myself the forty five minute round trip ride and just take him to the supermarket and throw him in been a pumpkin, because like, why why did I pay twenty five dollars for this? Like they literally just dump a bunch of pumpkins in a field and charge people to take pictures for social media. And it's brilliant, you know, it's a brilliant business move. But why why do we need to pay for this? I could just go to Trader Joe's and co op the pumpkin the pumpkin bin. But it was it was nice to get out. Did you do anything fun this weekend?
Speaker 1: Yeah, honestly, it was a cool weekend. I went to go visit the crazies. That's what I call my my niece and my nephew that lived down the street, because they're crazy.
Speaker 2: But to like, also, who has to live so close to them?
Speaker 1: You know, honestly, it's it's honestly really awesome. Like if I'm having a really bad day, I'm like, I just called my sister. I'm like, oh, what are the crazies doing? She's like being crazy, and I'm like I'll be there for a minute and then whatever I call they screamed. We just we have like a whole routine of like screaming and making all this shenanigans a noise. And then I leave them wilder than I found them.
Speaker 2: She's like thanks getting them.
Speaker 1: And then yesterday I had a nice grill and chill, which just it's my myself and two other friends and we were like, you know, because we've been saying we're going to do it for the longest, I'm like, just come over. We didn't grill, but honestly, we just we just ate. I ordered some Portuguese barbecue, which was delicious. Bloomfield. Let me tell you something. Bloomfield Barbecue on Bloomfield Avenue. I don't know if that's Newark or Bloomfield, but it has the yellow overhang. I'm not even a ribbed person. I never had ribs like it's they it's true barbecue, so not barbecue sauce, just the rub or whatever it's like. And I'm not even a big meat either, but delicious, and so we had that yesterday and it was just nice to like hang out with, like, you know, my it was three three girlfriends. It was four of us and just sit outside in the backyard and do my husband's version of like sitting on Bruski's It was more like ginger ales. But it was just that, honestly, was a highlight because if you all know me, I'm kind of like a homebody and I know I'm not really big on hanging out necessarily, So it was just nice to have people over at the house and it's just you know, it was a great weekend just because I got to see the people that I cared about.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and just like fill yourself up a little bit, because even as a fellow introvert, you still need like that human interaction just to feel normal. So if you're in an entry, you can do it safely, you know, if you have access to like outdoor space or even just like I've seen people, you know, hanging out and just on the street, just like setting up a couple of chairs. I know we're my husband's from and inwood Manhattan. I mean, you will not stop a Dominican from pulling up at a mini van, opening the doors, training the radio on, and like all of a sudden, there's like six chairs outside of it and a little party going on. We can still wear a mask and keep your distance. But I really feel like if y'all have been and I know people like this, if you've really been like a gorphobic low key for the past I don't know how long has it been. Almost a year now, it's crazy. Just just try for like a tiny, tiny diny bit of normalcy. Yeah, well we have. We've cried, we laughed, we've we've lamented, we've increased our dosages of antidepressed. Yes, so let's move on to questions. We'll be right back if you're still here, you know, thank you.
Speaker 1: This is how we do it. This is how we question. No no no no no no no. I should do a whole like nineties series of like remix for like. This is how we question. This is how the question on Monday night. It feels all right. Me and Mandra got the answers for you. I mean, you know, I would have to practice, but.
Speaker 2: I don't would think about it and do it again. But I love that. That's my all time favorite song to dance you at a wedding and you're you're making me miss like all the weddings and like receptions. Girl, I lovely.
Speaker 1: This is how you do it. It's your song.
Speaker 2: It's just I don't know. That was always my song at the cookouts when I was a kid in Georgia. Yeah, we do all I mean, is that not a good one? I mean that's the best anyway. Cool questions, Yes, we have a bunch of them. You guys don't how to reach us Instagram, Brown Ambition Podcast, hit us up there in our DMS, or you can get at old school and go to Briannambition Podcast at gmail dot com. Finish your questions there. Oh my goodness, where to start. Let's see, this was an interesting question. So this question comes from a listener via email. Her name is Keana, and she has a question about stock options to her employer. All right, so, Keana says, next month, I will have the option to purchase shares of my company stock through an employee stock purchase plan. The purchase would be after tax payroll deduction at a fifteen percent discount. The first time they offered this stock option, I did not take advantage of it, but now a second enrollment is being made available. I'm very new to participating in the stock market. I've never done anything other than participate with the companies for a one K. What's your advice on how much I should purchase as a newbie that's not very educated on what and how to move forward? Excellent question. Excellent, I got some thoughts. So stock purchase plan this is one of the perks that you may have if you're lucky enough to well, I don't know, but lucky enough. But if you work for a company that's publicly traded, this is one of the incentives some of them may offer employees, which is basically saying, you know, there's The other type of stock option is a restricted stock unit, which is essentially the company giving you shares of stock. A stock purchase option is where they say, you have the privilege of purchasing our stock if you'd like it at a discount. So it sounds like she's getting fifteen percent off of her company stock should she choose to jump on this offer. I mean it can be, you know, it can be. I mean it can be. It can be. It can be. It can be a good idea. The thing is, you know, you have to consider this holistically across all of your investments. So also you have to remember that this company is paying your salary. So if you're going to purchase stock and hold stock with the company that you also work for, you just don't want to have too much of your investments tied up with that company. And you also want to think about it like this is my opinion, personal opinion, not a stock advisor, not a financial advisor, et cetera, et cetera. Don't come for me in the street. But you know, you have to think like any other stock that you're purchasing. So you're a new investor, you're you know, you're new to maybe purchasing single stocks. You work for the company that you work for, do you think it's a good company with the bright future ahead of it? Or do you know, you have a bit of an insider's perspective on how things are going, or you know, do you think maybe I'll take my paycheck and you know, invest through my four to one k into you know, mutual funds or other individual stocks instead. It's really up to you. I would look at this kind of as a you know, just one of the many sort of perks that your employee that your company could offer to you as well as other employees. But don't look don't feel bad if you don't participate in it, because really they are. You know, you can look at this as like like, for example, I used to worok at the Gap and they gave us a fifty percent discount, didn't I know it? I used to buy so much crap, but a fifty percent discount on Gap clothing? Okay, Well, was it a good idea for me to buy Gap? You know all those you know, Jean jackets and my goodness, all the pairs of genes and all that stuff at fifty percent off. It sure did feel like a good idea. But I also was taking the money that they gave me and then spending it on their stuff. So I was like pretty much negating profit for myself from the job that I had, which in retrospect wasn't like so smart. But you know, you've just got to sort of look at this as an opportunity to maybe buy some stock in a company at a discount. That's the benefit here. You know, someone walking off the street wanting to buy your company stock would buy it a little bit more, you know, have a higher price and you get a discount. So you have to look at your whole picture and if you feel like I'm pretty well diversified. This is a good deal. The stock you know, could be on the way up. Fifteen percent off is a you know, a good discount. I'll you know, take advantage of this opportunity to purchase it. And it also you know, let's say you do purchase the stock at a discount, and I don't know, once you're you know, once everything vests and you're able to actually cash out of those shares that you've bought, if the stock price has gone up, like you can stand a profit more than someone who's just walked in off the street and bought it full quote unquote full price. So that is a benefit. But you just have to look at it, you know, across all of your investments and not you just don't want to, like have way too much of your investments tied up in the same place where you get your paycheck from. And I could tell you the rule of thumb that I feel like people say, but.
Speaker 1: I was gonna say the rule of thumb, Well.
Speaker 3: You take the rule of thumb tip Well, they say the rule of thumb is I mean across all of your portfolio, so all of your investments, you ideally you don't want to have more than ten percent of like your investments in your company's stock just in case something happens like Lehman Brothers.
Speaker 1: And then you don't want to be like, ah, yeah, it's like with any stock, right, Like you don't like all your stocks should not be Apple, all your stocks should not be one company just because of the means you're just leaning on this one company for or significant amount of your of your portfolio in one particular investment. So that is kind of like the rule of thumb. So keep that in mind. I mean, you know, take that with a grain of salt. But yeah, I mean, to Manday's point, it can be. But here's the thing that you want to be clear because I was actually just talking to my sister, the inventor and engineer shout to Carol. She is like, my she's our go to stock person. Carol'll be like, I'm not that good at stocks as she does her research and makes She literally bought some stock the other day and made four hundred percent back. I'm like, what do stop talking about Carol?
Speaker 2: You know, people want to have Carol on the show, and I'm afraid I'm afraid an off day when we have her on the show.
Speaker 1: She's gonna be like, no, that's not my thing. That's like she's the mom of the craziest. I'm like, mean, while you're doing all this while rasing the crazies anyway, So she was just sharing that today. But the thing that Carol was saying because I when you know, when the current administration announced that it was you know, it had Corona and the market reacted. I was just asking her, we have like this like wealth or WhatsApp, and I was like, should I buy Walmart? Should I buy? She was like girl. Now, she was like, you know, you want to purchase companies that have good you know, she follows a warm buffet method, like solid companies regardless. So she was telling me three companies that she bought more of because she actually worked for these three companies. I would say them, but I don't want to like you know, I don't know, yeah, I won't And these are not like I mean, her major companies. So she worked for them like with their high school, college whatever. And she said, I have seen firsthand how they navigate, how solid they are. So she was like when things were like falling, She's like, I just bought more of the companies that I knew intimately from the inside. You know, we're well run companies. That's why you know they've done well for these number of years. So I just say that to say you have an insider insight you work for your company. Is it a shit show? Excuse my fronch, or is it a solid company? If you feel like this is a solid company, the CEO is dope, knows what she's doing. So what I did that she heard and like, you know what I mean. Like, so if you feel that, then yes, then you know you don't want to just get the stock because it's offered if you feel like the company is on its last leg. So just keep that in mind as well.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, and thank you for your question. And you're new to investing and you're doing the right thing just by asking questions and learning. So go easy on yourself and congrats on at least working with our company that gives you this opportunity to build wealth. And it already sounds like you're on the right track because you've been investing in your four oh one K. A lot of people take for granted that a four to one K is investing like you're doing it. You are doing it you're in the market. All right, Let's take another When this comes from someone who'd like to remain anonymous, very mysterious, that's fine, all right. This listener says, I love listening to y'all's podcast. You guys always break it down so that it makes sense. Oh, thank you. I was hoping you could offer me some advice. I'm twenty eight years old and a single mob living on one income. I've accrued a lot of debt over the last two years, between credit cards and debt consolidation loans. My debt is about thirteen thousand dollars in total. I have seven thousand dollars saved up in my savings account from tax returns and the stimulus check that came through earlier this year. On top of that seven thousand dollars in savings, I have eighteen K and my four oh one K. So my question is what it makes sense to pull the four to one K money to pay off my debt and give myself a clean slate. My issue is that my bills are more than I'm making every month, so I feel like I'm eventually just going to hit the same issue again. I know eventually my daughter's childcare expenses won't be as much and then hopefully at that point I can start to break even. Thank you. Well, this is really really tough.
Speaker 1: It is really tough.
Speaker 2: I'm not gonna lie, really really tough. Thirteen k and well, it's just like recap debt thirteen k cross credit cards and it sounds like a debt consolidation loan. She's got seven k in the bank from savings, an eighteen K, and a four to one K, So if she were to take out a loan from herself or withdrawal, she's talking about a withdrawal from her four to one K to pay out that thirteen K, she'd be she'd pretty much be, you know, getting rid of her account. She'd only have a few thousand dollars left. Yeah, do you want to start? I mean I have a couple of thoughts.
Speaker 1: Okay, So well one, let's start with the good things. Congratulations Mama Sita, that you were able to save seven thousand dollars. That is not a small thing, not even a little bit. So I want you to acknowledge that, like, you know, a lot of people receive that money from the care the Stimulus plan and the Cares Act, whatever, right. So a lot of people receive that money and have nothing, which you know that happens as well. But the fact that you're able to set aside seven thousand, that's tremendous. So clap for yourself. Two, here's my concern. I'll give you the advice that I gave a friend of mine who was like, my friend wants to borrow money from me. And I was like, okay. I was like, you know, she's like, my friend wants to borrow two thousand dollars. This is a friend that's kind of like always struggling. And she's like, do you think I should lend it to her? And I said this, and I'm gonna I want you to answer this, even though you're lending to yourself, will you lend will? I told her, will, let's pretend to my friend is name Julia, and she wants to lend her a friend named Clara. If Julia, if you lend Clara this money, does it fix the problem? So does this two thousand dollars fix the problem? And she was like no, I said, well how not? She was like, well, because honestly, Clara, like you anonymous, is behind every month because her bills are more than what her expenses are. I said, So it's not going to fix the problem, then I wouldn't. It doesn't like that's not like you're one, you're never going to see your money back. This is a mean to you talking to you anonymous to yourself, and also Julia to Clara. And then two, it's actually not going to fix the problem, but it'll enhance the problem because now you don't have money for retirement now because you're already you already have these debt consolidation loans. It means that you've already tried to fix the problem in this way and borrowing money to fit to just delay coming right back here again. You're you're right, You're going to be right back here again. So to me, the real problem that you're needing to solve is how to make more. That is really the problem you need to solve. Does that look like asking for a raise at work? Does that look like side hustling? I know you have you know you're a single mom, so I know how hard that must be. Does that look like looking interviewing now to see if you can find a position that's going to pay you more. You have to figure out how to inject more income into your household, or else you will be right back here and then there will be no four to one K, no saving, nothing to fall back on. And so that's what I say, is that, like I would leave my four one K alone because it's not going to fix the problem as far as your savings are concerned. Would is that at least three months of your bare bones essential expensive I call that in your noodle budget. Is that at least three months, ideally six months if it's at least three months if there's excess, So let's just say three months for you is six thousand dollars or five thousand dollars, and you want to put some of the other towards the principle of what you owe the excess, Okay, But I would not drain my savings of emergency. You have a kid, so emergencies in more important now than ever. And I would not drain my retirement account for a problem that's not really going to be fixed. I would focus on the solution of how can I make more money in this household?
Speaker 2: How can you make more money? I mean, she mentions it sounds like no matter what she does, her bills are more than her income monthly, which I think is a real I mean, that's really the crux of the issue here. She's just in the red no matter what she does. And she mentions her daughter's childcare, and that's definitely one of the expenses where it's not the first line item you're going to try and cut because the quality is care for your child. I mean, I can't even imagine, especially in times like this, you want to give your child the best. If there's any other bills that can be tweaked or cut or sacrificed, you can start there, although I honestly think you probably already have at this point. Then whatever you can as a single mom though, and listen, I was raised by a single mom. My mom had four kids under the age of what twelve that she was raised all under the age of twelve, four kids once she was raising by herself. And I was just who was I talking to about this the other day? Maybe was my therapist or I don't know. But I've given my mother so much credit because she asked for help from family and friends when she was really struggling. Looked like my uncle and aunt letting her rent our house from them that they owned it. Looked like friends at work giving her presence to give to us for Christmas. It looked like a lot of different things. And if you have, if you have help available to you, you know you really I feel like there's there's options out there, especially as a single mother with a child, if you're if your income is on let's pay for your essentials right now. There may be public assistants available for you, you know, snap, you know, food stamps, other types of public assistance that is there for people in situations that you're in. And there's no shame in that, No, no shame in that at all. So I would say, ask for help, because you're in a very difficult situation. So I would start asking friends, I would ask family, I would ask other single moms, if you know, anybody you know have any resources been helpful to you, your local food bank that can help you cut down on grocery expenses. I think, especially as a mom, you know, we went from like a two income household middle like pretty you know, lower middle class but like solidly okay, to you know, being you know, like the vivid memories of like being in line at a grocery store and having my mom just like slowly take things out of the cart when she realized she wasn't going to you know, make the bill or you know, at the checkout line. And you're used to living a certain way and being able to buy certain things because that's you know, that's what you're used to and that's what's normal. But when your income is so reduced, there's a new normal. And it's so hard because it feels like this isn't right. I want to go back to how things were. I can only empathize with that, and you know, commend you for being strong, but I really hope that you can find some And you know, you haven't mentioned where you live, but I so we can't give like more specific advice, but I would say, look at your state. Look what is available to you through churches, through like local community programs, anything that can help you stop needing to dig yourself into more debt. And I would hold on every penny you can, hold on to all those coins and your savings, hold on to all the money in your for one k, Like that's amazing that you even have eighteen thousand dollars at twenty eight years old. Like you're a smart lady. Yeah, your daughter is very lucky to have you. I would hold on to that.
Speaker 1: And asking for help also means like reaching out to your service providers and saying, hey, I'm struggling, like you know, your phone company, insurance, like car insurance, whoever those are. So to Mandy's port, that's like, honestly, Mandy like such amazing empathetic advice. But I just wanted to add that that, like, help can also come from the places that you paid bills to, especially now more than ever, because it's a pandemic, and many of them have hardship programs in place, so ask about them. They may have a freeze on interest, they might have a freeze on payment or forbearance or deferment.
Speaker 2: So yeah, so yeah, exactly. We've got a good page at Magnified Money of all the banks that are offering relief in terms of COVID, pretty much every bank is. I mean in some way, shape or form. It may not be amazing, but call and ask and even you know for that. And I don't think this is right for you necessarily in my personal opinion, for you to dip into your four one k, but for those of you who are running out of options and maybe withdrawing from your four to one K is something that you're considering. Y'all should know that with the Cares Act, one of the things that they passed in that relief the only relief bill so far, was the ability to withdraw from your four to one k and not get hit with that ten percent. It's like up to one hundred thousand dollars or something like that, So check the IRS dot gov for specifics. But anyway, thank you so much for your question. Our hearts go out to you. We hope this was helpful, and you can always hit me. I'm gonna hit you up on instant and respond to you. But yeah, well we really hope you get help. But I don't. Yeah. I oh, single mom, single moms, single moms. I just love I just oh my heart for y'all. I it's so hard, it's so hard. It's so hard. Ten times it is.
Speaker 1: I can't even.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So thank you for asking and thanks for your question. All right, missy, I hear a very cranky baby up above.
Speaker 1: Twinkle twink a little reo.
Speaker 2: Oh. My two cousins responded, One said done, the other one said I am registered period.
Speaker 1: Yes, and it's just basically leave me alone Facebook. Someone was like, we're gonna check out all the social media platforms.
Speaker 2: Yes, like but for real though, I'm gonna call my great uncles next because I don't know. I'm like, can y'all get a carpool going, you know, vote in person, vote in person? All right, let's uh brown boost brown break.
Speaker 1: It's time for brown Well no.
Speaker 2: What was it brown?
Speaker 1: Anyway? It's time boost a break? No it was Mickey mouth. Oh no, And now it's time to boost a break for all my family there, go, is you going to boost? Is you going to break? What you're going to do? Many?
Speaker 2: Yes? I love that like fat Albert mouse, nicky bounce yees that.
Speaker 1: Is a fat Albert mouth.
Speaker 2: Hey, hey, hey combination. I'm going to do a brown boost because I'm feeling very positive today. I'm going to do a brown boost for me again. Dusting off my Apple Watch, which I literally had not put on my wrist since February seventeenth of twenty twenty. I had not put it on my wrist, but I had really gotten into I mean, I have my peloton and it's great, and people who are asking, I've loved my peloton, but I have forced myself with my brother being here and my sister is my new like accountability buddy, even though she lives in Wisconsin. To get myself out of the damn house, I think I have become like a little loki, agoraphobic or just like too comfortable not leaving the house. Tiffany, I know you can probably relate, but it's really annoying to me how beneficial just going for a walk has been to my mental health, and like how I feel about my day annoying to me because I'm just like why my brain gets in these funks where I just cannot convince myself to put on a pair of shoes and leave the house and walk out of the door. And yet when I do, I feel so much better. Like what I just I don't it seems like such a burden and so hard to do, And I'm not gonna lie there. Some days when it really feels like I can't bring myself to leave the house, I don't have the energy. There's so many good excuses and good reasons why I can't. But slowly but surely, I am trying to get back on it. And my Apple Watch has been helping because I love a competition so me and my husband are competing, and I'm feeling a lot better. Free good mental health therapy. Get outside, y'all try to at least no.
Speaker 1: Honestly, that is excellent because you know, I just you have this basically, it's almost like you have to stack up against what the world is offering. So I think that's excellent. Get on you. I'm gonna also boost. I'm gonna boost for like a lesson I learned. So I told you I had like the grill and chill, and I have a new friend that came over. Her name is Maria. And there's this thing that I was been saying for like the last couple of years, and I realize I've been saying it to kind of like a guest hold myself back from achieving. And I would always say, like, oh, you know, this level of success I'm good with, but like, oh, man, I can only imagine the kind of work that Beyonce and Oprah have to do. I'm not willing to do that much work to get that level of success. So I've been telling myself that that I couldn't possibly put in the level of work that they must do, because you know that's I mean it sounds like, you know, it makes sense, but I realized that was just limiting beliefs and thoughts. So I happened to say that during our grill and chill and she was like, I don't believe that. She said, this is what I tell my kids when they say that they're not able to do something. She said, I remind them that what that really means, what they're really saying is I need help. She said, how do you think Oprah Beyonce, Michelle Obama achieve and accomplish at that level They don't do it because they're all alone. Is that they have gotten really good at maximizing their community and getting help. And I just like it was such an AHA moment because honestly, many I've been saying that, oh, well, like, you know, I'm not gonna be Opra level because I'm not willing to put in Oprah work. And I'm like, girl who taught you that? Yes, internally I tell my what I'm like now, but you know, and internally I've been telling myself that. And I was like, wow, but it's just something I feel like I've been saying at a fear thinking that like I would not be capable or able to take myself to the next level. So it was just like it was a release that I needed that a reminder that if for whatever reason, I'm unable to do something, it's just a signal that I need help. It just means that I need to hire somebody, I need to talk, I need to reach out. And I just wanted to share that because you might have, like you know, be a listeners, you might have some limiting thoughts and stories that you're kind of telling yourself that I'm not able, I'm that capable, especially anonymous, that what you're really saying is that I need help, and help is help is available for those who ask. There's a great I don't know if it's like I guess it's a quote and it just goes a problem shared is a problem solved. So you know that in sharing what's happening and in asking externally for help, the solution is somewhere out there. It's going to meet you. So I just you know, it was just like, honestly it was when I tell you it's such a small thing but such a life changing lesson because I was like, wait, so for the last ten years I've been saying that you made it tell me that's not true, and I'm like, so I'm releasing myself of I can't possibly achieve Oprah level or Beyonce level, who says they have help and all I need is help, And so that's my boost.
Speaker 2: Of course you can do with budgetist da Ye Bunge of Nie Dayance.
Speaker 1: I don't.
Speaker 2: Yeah, of course you can do it. It's just like everyone's got their own version of imposter syndrome. And I realized it's not something that just all of a sudden you train yourself out of it. It's like it creeps up, it creeps up. And remember one time I was like trying to convince someone that I was going to write a book called The Power of Low Expectations and how everyone should just low walk expectations and they'd be so much happier. And my friend was looking at me like, no one's gonna buy this ship.
Speaker 1: It's real depressing, it's hilarious.
Speaker 2: And then I was like, maybe I was in a very dark, like a sad place in my life where I wasn't really happy with what was happening. But yeah, I'm that's that's that's beautiful. And again it's all about like it's asking for help and and being brave enough to say that you want it so that you can start attracting that help and attracting that energy. What are you talking. You're gonna like, get out of here. You're gonna have like your your your your own network, your own Molly Moore action figure. Pixar is probably gonna come knocking to turn Molly Moore to a movie. I want tickets to the premiere. That's awesome, though.
Speaker 1: Yeah, thank you. Honestly, it's just like I said, it will leasse me. And I would really love to hear from BA, like whether you email us, you tag me the budgetista or Mandy money, especially on ig like what are what is a limiting belief that you're like, wait, who told me that was true? That maybe this triggered? Like I do tell myself, I can't because I would love to know what that is so I can give you the opposite belief. Someone just literally changed my whole perspective by saying no, I just tell my kid. No doesn't mean you can't do it. It just means that you you need help. And I was like, life change. So I would love Mandy and I would look look on volunteering Mandy Magee and I would love to do that for you. So tag us. It's the BA podcast on IG.
Speaker 2: Right, absolutely not. It is Brand Ambition podcast on Instagram, but that's also our Twitter handle. I should check, inde if Brown Ambition is available on Twitter. It wasn't five years ago, but maybe I should check.
Speaker 1: Yes, we should so, yeah, so Brown Ambition on IG. We would love to tag us in the story and say my current limiting I know it's a limiting belief, is that at that? And so we can give you the opposite. I would love to do that for y'all because someone did it for me.
Speaker 2: So and if you could please send me all of your pep talks, that would be nice to you. I could use some of those as well. Thank you very much.
Speaker 1: What you mean me or you mean like anybody?
Speaker 2: You? Oh, Superman, Supergirl, anybody want to got a pep talk for me? I can do it right, love, just let me know, yeah, okay, all right, tip, Well, another another day, another podcast, pleasure as always.
Speaker 1: Yes, as usually, well, you know, I love y'all and I love Maandra, which is bigger and better, better and bolder things.
Speaker 2: One more month t Election Day I'm not nervous, you're nervous.
Speaker 1: Okay, gotta go take my toe off. Bye for real.
Speaker 2: I forgot