Speaker 1: Hello the Internet, and welcome to Season three, sixteen, Episode three of the Days. It's a production of iHeart Radio, and it's a podcast where we take a deep avenue America. Share Share Share Share consciousness.
Speaker 2: I'm having.
Speaker 1: This is the second stutter that I've had already. It's Wednesday, December sixth, twenty twenty three.
Speaker 2: Yep, that means uh, yes, It's National Gaspacho Day, It's Saint Nicholas Day, It's National Day of Remembrance my lips on Violence Against Women Day. It's National miners like the people who mind Shit Day, h nash shout out the pond brokers because it's your day also, and also fucking Mitten Tree Day. I don't know what Midton Tree Day is, but I don't know. I guess you collect mittens and you hang them on the Christmas tree and then hand them out to those and need I'd imagine the people that need them would probably want them immediately rather than being like, let me adorn my tree with these mittens. Someone would need. But here we are Mitten Day, and aren't.
Speaker 1: The pombro the pawn Stars really the modern day miners when you think about it.
Speaker 2: For gold story, Yeah, whatever, it is they do it.
Speaker 1: My name's Jack O'Brien aka man, you sure look like cat not Joe. My friend left here a long time ago. Where George tooth come from? Where did he go? Tooth transform him to cat? And I Joe, that's courtesy.
Speaker 2: And no clue to come from?
Speaker 1: Where that tooth come from? Man? Where talking about the transformative nature we've talked about wig acting before the tooth acting.
Speaker 2: Yeah, tooth acting acting, tooth acting.
Speaker 1: Tooth acting truly amazing. Tooth acting happening in a Killer of the Flower Moon and just made me realize that tooth acting from the very time for the first time I saw someone put a little black thing over there. Tooth up. Through Leonardo DiCaprio's performance and Killers of the Flower Moon, it always gets It fools me every single time, like, wait, that's not Leonna, that guy is ugly man, Leonardo DiCaprio.
Speaker 2: That's not my three What you call it gompers or.
Speaker 1: Some gumpers I think, but gompers might be better. It's an impression of poetic license. I'm thrilled to be joined as always by my co host mister.
Speaker 2: Miles Grat Miles Gray Gay. Those are dinosaurs they're huge balls. Those are dinosaurs. They're huge balls. Those are dinosaurs. They're huge balls. That's why they're so big. Yes, they're dino balls. Or they're just a guy's balls. Actually that's what it should be. But shout out to Pato sand on the discard who gave me that they might be giants rework because.
Speaker 1: They are giant. They might be giants balls is what they thought they.
Speaker 2: I think they did in a parenthetical. Yes, yes, many jokes.
Speaker 1: Anyways, Miles, we're thrilled to be joined in our third seat by one of our favorite guests here on the Daily Seite. Guys. Uh you know him from the podcast This Day in Esoteric Political History in the past. You know good sport from Ted and Pushkin thirty for thirty for ESPN, the five thirty eight politics podcast Going where way back, But that's where I first heard him. He's the lead producer of The Puzzler, a very fun puzzle podcast. He's building a puzzle empire. It's Jody Ever got out.
Speaker 3: It is very nice to be here, though I will say I would very happily just let you do intros and never actually get folded into the conversation.
Speaker 2: Keep going everyone. We should we could try. I mean, it's it's not not too far off that we have an episode.
Speaker 3: You know, I was entering like a nice little fuch state here, just watching you guys do your thing, and.
Speaker 1: That is what we aim for, the fugue states, where you lose all track of your past and future and you're just like, hey, what.
Speaker 3: A couple of notes. Thank you for clarifying that it was my nerves, not miners. Yeah, okay, a weird, very weird holiday.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: And also I'm realizing as you introduced me there, that making a show called the Puzzle podcast is just really it's fun for us producers in audio.
Speaker 2: Called the puzzle podcast.
Speaker 3: It's called the puzzle, It's called the puzzler. But then uh, you know, you just say the variations of the word puzzle a lot, and then you say podcast a lot too.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, pop puzzler, pop that puzzler.
Speaker 3: Listeners love this stuff, by the way they do.
Speaker 1: They're like, more nonsense, please just don't give me content. Well, unfortunately, we will give you content.
Speaker 2: It's art, Jody. We're going to get to know you a little bit better in no moment.
Speaker 1: First, we're going to tell our listeners. A couple of things that we're talking about. ACAB does include COP twenty eight as well. COP twenty eight continues to make a mockery of air climate cre the COP conference still out here doing it, just.
Speaker 2: Just being like, yeah, climate change for sure. So y'all want to do.
Speaker 1: Some oil deals or what Right, So we'll talk about just broad strokes. What's going on over there. It leaves something to be desired. Well, we'll talk about what that thing? What that something is? George Santos on cameo, mm hmm. He has taken a page from Rudy Giuliani's poorly photo copied pamphlet and as now selling personalized videos. On cameo, we're going to talk about people's living situations. We're going to talk about bass pro shops. You know, it's basically you may know them as your local gun museum, but others know them as bass pro shops. So we're going to talk about that. Why those stores that you see when you're driving on the highway maybe have been to I've been told they're a lot of fun to visit every once in a while. Why those are taxpayer funded? All that plenty more. But first, Jody we do like to ask our guest, what is something from your search history.
Speaker 3: I will just present to you the actual last thing that I googled, which is love It verbatim. Why is it called constant comment?
Speaker 2: Tea?
Speaker 3: Do you know the tea? Constant comment?
Speaker 1: Constant?
Speaker 3: It's this like it's a tea blend. It's kind of a black tea with a little orange rind in it. They serve it at this coffee shop that I that I often work at, that was working out this morning, and I really love it. It's it's wonderful. It's been like years, a couple of years of me being really into it. And then I finally stopped and just looked at the actual name, and I, you know, it's got me thinking a lot about I've come to really be a believer and like a good name is really really powerful, And it's a fantastic name, constant comment, because it sounds normal, you know, it rolls off the tongue, it's got some nice, like nice hard consonants. And then for and then today for the first time, I was like, wait, what does it actually mean? And I think that's a really nice thing about a name that it could just kind of immediately just be its own sort of universe of meaning.
Speaker 2: Whatever it means.
Speaker 1: Whoever created was an SEO master, so it probably stuttled in the school of on Google's campus for many years.
Speaker 3: Go ahead, who created it? You asked, Well, Rudy Campbell Bigelow. In nineteen forty five, she created a constant comment tea. She was unhappy with a variety of teas on the market, so she created a blend of black tea and orange rind and spices and inspired by an early colonial era recipe. The new flavor was so popular among her friends that it received quote constant comments, therefore giving the tea its name. I like, great backstory, great tea.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I like just sort of like say, cleverness of the naming. It reminds of like how they named weed. It's like, yeah, this one, dude, it's like constant giggles broke because when you hear that shit, everybody's been fucking laughing the whole time. Very very nice blend you have here of indicansativa. Yeah, it's so funny that you mentioned this. I randomly just came across like on like on Twitter or something and ad from big olots, like from like it's like a message from the founder of big elod.
Speaker 3: T you're about to turn forty, and they just they can.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they know, they know, And I'm like, they've got a clock on every one of us. Yeah, They're like, take that Wu tang jersey off and here's a cup of big old t you old embrace it. Yeah, yeah, exactly. But I just yeah, So it's it's funny that now I'm having the big lot message we reinforced in multiple ways. Now, Yeah, if.
Speaker 3: You have room in some future episode or even just when we're just chatting, not on a podcast. One of the greatest stories I ever know is about the naming of a of a product. And I will tell it at some point, or I can do it as a bonus at some point, but yeah, take the bonus.
Speaker 2: Okay, all right.
Speaker 1: The idea that tea's where the original weed strain is interesting because then they used to call weed tea, Like, wasn't that a thing? I think in one of those like early twentieth century novels, I think they keep referring to weed as team maybe like on the Road or something like that. Oh, interesting, So the connection runs deep.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, it was Yeah, Okay, I did have no idea. Well that all makes sense, damn.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there you go, Jody, what's something you think is overrated?
Speaker 2: Well?
Speaker 3: Can I combine my overrated and underrated and and ask you to pinpoint where we stand here? And I and I and I like this podcast to be able to have these kinds of conversations I can't have with some other folks. But Tyrese Haliburton, where is he on that undulating overrated underrated NBA hype based on.
Speaker 2: Based still underrated?
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's injured, like his rating is undulating?
Speaker 2: Yeah, good, very good?
Speaker 3: Wow? Constantly?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean I watched, I actually watched like a lot of that game against the Celtics, and I was blown away. But his performance there and just like his stats right now are pretty they're they're solid.
Speaker 3: Yeah, oh yeah, no, I mean you know so I so so he kind of is like the at least before this season, in the offseason, you know, for people who are like in the NBA fantasy leagues, he was the kind of like classic like his stats are incredible, He's going to go super high, but you know, is he just a stat guy and whatever? And then I, you know, and I sort of like had dismissed him as that and sort of had this little antagonistic like and then you know, I kind of I read a great long profile of him in the ESPN, the magazine, and it was like, oh, he's like a seems like a real good dude. And then yeah, he's played a couple of national Games where it's like, oh my god, he is legit. And you know, last night was his big, I think, breakout performance where people are talking about him as the next kind of big superstar. But I will also say, and this is why it straddles both lines.
Speaker 2: For me.
Speaker 3: Aesthetically, something about his game is a little jankie to me. Yeah, yes, Like his shot starts like at the chest and then like pops up. It's just not I don't watch it and get and get that thrill that I watch when I watch other great.
Speaker 2: Players shoot or something like that.
Speaker 3: Yeah or Jah or whoever, Kyrie. You know it's like, but you know, usually most great players there's also an aesthetic appeal in addition to like they're just really effective, right, And he's got this weird disconnect on that front for me, And maybe you know, if I'm watching my mouf, I'll just come to appreciate his janky stuff. But even when he's dribbling, I'm like, the limbs are just going at like slightly different angles. I don't know what it is. And so now I'm like, I'm I'm roiling as you can tell, right, Yeah, with the durrated roller coaster that I'm injurating him.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because some of the shots he put up, I was definitely like, is that are you? Are you sure that.
Speaker 1: I love an ugly shot? You don't get a lot of them in the NBA, right, You know, Sean Marion was like a solid deep long range shooter who shot it like he he just someone threw him a basketball that he and he never picked one up, and they were like, try try and shoot, try and shoot like a person. You know, nobody told him how to shoot basically, but and he's got he's got one of those ugly shots. I had an ugly shot when I was playing basketball, so I always know you're ugly.
Speaker 3: The two comps that came to mind were Sean Marian and you.
Speaker 2: Right and me, yes exactly. But you know.
Speaker 1: Somebody who has made it this deep and stuck to their ugly guns with their game, I would say, have you watched Shay Gilgess Alexander play. His game is also like his shot isn't ugly, but it's not pretty either, and his game is it's like a lot of off speed pitches. It's a lot of like herky jerkiness. And those are probably the two best young guards in the NBA. So like, I feel like there's something where people are figuring out like a way to model their games so that it's not just MP over everybody.
Speaker 3: And the best player in the world is someone who I like delight and how ugly his game is, right, and so you have so yeah, she likes Between jo Kics and those two, where are we like entering an era of the just like absurdly janky looking shot or body movement which feels weird?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 3: You'd think that, like the mark that what is the arc of the athletic universe would bend towards grace, right right, Instead you.
Speaker 2: Have this, Yeah, but this one, like we say on Jack and Miles Gott Miles and Jackot Matt BOOSTI is Jokics plays uncle ball, You know what I mean? It's the energy of an uncle playing with the kids in the driveway, but at a profession like that's how he's like, well, I don't have to do much to fucking show y'all what's up. And it's this an interesting stat that game against the Celtics, Halliburton had a twenty six, ten and thirteen triple double. Uh that's stat line or better with zero turn turnovers has only occurred seven other times in an NBA history, And Yo kids did it twice this week.
Speaker 3: Well, oh that's so good. I hadn't see that element because I saw the other people who've done it and it's like the volunted terry, but I didn't realize that had done it twice.
Speaker 1: That's because this show is not necessarily designed for NBA fans, but for people No, no, it's it's good because I think, you know, for people who aren't familiar with the NBA, it's worth watching this year. Like there are some like Yo Kich's a lot of people who are like lifelong fans of the league are saying Yo kich is the best offensive player they've ever seen, like full stop, like a better offensive player than Jordan, Like.
Speaker 3: He currently leads the league in points, assists, and rebounds. Yeah, all three just ross that category.
Speaker 1: It seems pretty significant.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, those are Yeah, for those of you who don't, those are pretty significant.
Speaker 1: Those are the Big Three. And yeah, it's so like that's one thing that's happening in the league. There's a rookie who we've talkedalked about before on this show, Picture Onebi Yama, who is on a nightly basis doing things nobody's ever seen, like blocking shots like three pointers at the peak of their arc, like just absurd things, but like still also doesn't fully know what to do with himself out there in a lot of cases, so it's like watching somebody learning to fly. But then like every once in a while, it's like he hits the jackpot and you see him dunk from like a place you've never seen anybody dunk from and.
Speaker 2: Or just want to cover more ground in two steps than any human we've ever seen.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but his crossover goes from one side of the court like one sideline to the other.
Speaker 2: And he's learned and he's yes, he's comes self.
Speaker 3: Away, Yeah, he's ai.
Speaker 2: Yes.
Speaker 1: And then Oklahoma City, like is this young team that's just super exciting that nobody's had coming in who I think a lot of people are excited about.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: It's it's a very exciting time for NBA.
Speaker 2: Like if you're if.
Speaker 1: You've been, if you're like on on the cusp, you're like, I don't know, like this would be this would be the season to jump in. There's also a single elimination tournament that the game we're talking about right now with Haliburton. Last night he eliminated the Celtics and you know now, so now Indiana is going deep. New Orleans is going deep. Yeah, it's it's very exciting. It's like the things you like about single elimination sports have been brought to the NBA kind of for the first time. So exciting times. A reminder this NBA thing might be worth checking out.
Speaker 3: I love this game, Adam Silver. The check is in the mail.
Speaker 2: Yes, yeah, did you.
Speaker 1: Just come up with that I love this game thing? That's pretty good.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I just I love this game.
Speaker 2: I love this game. I love I love this game. Yeah.
Speaker 1: All right, let's take a quick break and we'll be right back. And we're back.
Speaker 2: We're back.
Speaker 1: We're back, baby, And so is the COP Conference. We're at COP twenty eight. Yeah, it's the initial headlines. I don't know, there was like points during earlier this year, where people are like we've turned a corner, and then the initial headlines. I feel like it's a good metaphor for the climate discussion, where it's like you'll get some good headlines, some positive seeming things happening, and then like once you take a closer look, like people are like, it's it's not.
Speaker 2: Good, yeah, because like the whole point is to get you know, the all of the the one hundred and twenty five countries together and be like all right, y'all, how are we gonna unfuck this thing? And we all got before we leave, Yeah, like for real this time, we got to do some real heavy lifting. In the beginning, like you said, there were things that made it feel positive, like commitments to series cut like methane emissions and like increased funds for countries that are being affected by climate change who are otherwise unable to help themselves because of you know, the economics of it all. But like you're saying, he starts zooming out and the optimism like fucking vanishes like almost instantly, like for starters. Right, the event is taking place in Dubai, Okay. The UAE is a nation built on fossil fuel profits. And the man leading the talks in Dubai is this guy, Sultan al Jabert who he is the head of the state owned Abu Dhabi National Oil Company, and he is the one sort of presiding over these like climate talks, and and then so like, and I can add even more to this.
Speaker 4: Prior to the conference beginning, he said out loud in another conference, said there was quote no science that indicated that a phase out of fossil fuels is needed to stop temperatures from rising above one and a half degrees celsius.
Speaker 1: One more thing, who are you gonna believe? Who are you gonna believe? Miles, You're gonna believe the scientists, or you're gonna believe they got ahead of.
Speaker 2: State owned oil company. And then only that there was leaked There were leaked documents that showed that a lot of these people representing different state owned oil companies and the emirates were planning on using the talks to like generate more business for fossil fuel extraction. Like they were like, yeah, well it would be great because you know a lot of people are going to be in town for this, so it's hard to imagine anything significant will be done against this backdrop, especially when the biggest negotiation at the conference that everyone is paying attention to is are we going to actually start articulating a phase out of fossil fuels, or as some lobbyists would rather say, how about phase down because at least down doesn't indicate out forever. Can we say phase down? Can we say phase out? There's a lot of back and forth of that. Saudi Arabia has flatly said that anything resembling a fossil fuel phase out in an agreement, they will just they will be it will be rejected by their delegation and the way the talks are structured, it all takes is one party to fucking scuttle whole thing. So you're dealing with a lot of fucking variables here that don't spell their you know, a good time for Earth in the near future. And then you have the record number of lobbyists of like from the oil gas industries that are there. Last year we talked about when it was in Egypt, they set a record for lobbyists that were in attendance, Like how they were more lobbyists than like people who were from like a single country for example, like they're the combined amount of lobbyists that are out actually registered as lobbyist, because there's a ton of people who might not be outwardly saying that they're there to lobby for something they are. Basically, they outnumber every country's delegation except for Brazil's, and Brazil has more because they are going to be hosting it in like a year and a half or something, so like that's why they have more people. But also they fossil fuel lobbyists outnumber in official indigenous representatives by seven to one, and that means like they have more passes lobbyists than the combined total of delegates from the ten most climate vulnerable countries combined, including Somalia, Chad, Tonga, the Solomon Islands, and Sudan. And this quote from David Tong of Oil Change International sums it up pretty well. He said, quote, you would not invite arms dealers to a peace conference, and that's kind of what we have now. It's just arms fest at the peace.
Speaker 1: Fest depends on how lit you want your peace conference to be.
Speaker 3: But yeah, yeah, I mean I was one. I was sort of wondering and reading about this, whether this is like the new Davos, you know, and this is the new just kind of like we're going to go party, We're going to make ourselves feel important, and we're going to kind of cut some deals, and ostensibly there's this other project that's not actually gonna accomplish anything.
Speaker 1: Right, right, and they're like kind of protecting against something being accomplished. We've had climate experts and environmentalists on the show described this as an energy industry trade show, right, right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So I went back and looked at because you know Cop twenty eight, that's renumber right, So I went back and looked at like Cop one and two and three, right, and so you know, the planks and the things, the basic you know, things that were being discussed at those in the mid nineties into the early two thousands were basically the exact same, right. Cop Cop two right in Geneva, Switzerland was basically about do we want uniform policies or do we want flexibility? Do we want legally binding mid term targets or do we want larger principles upon which we will all adhere.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 3: Cop three was the big Kyoto Protocol one. Cop four was like we need we are pledging for a two year plan of action, right, right, you know, and that's like us, you know, two year plan of action, two year plan of action. I mean, and then you know, you look at like COP six seven eight, this question of financial assistance for developing countries and this question of kind of how to you know, developing countries need to use carbon in order to advance their economic principles, but also you know they're going to be affected. Back like that is just like year after year after year after year, it's just comes up, people say some things, it doesn't get fully results. So it is kind of remarkable.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and it wasn't until last year where they're like, all right, I guess we can put some money together for these other right, And so.
Speaker 3: I mean, you know, I think it's right, and it does feel like in this first the fact that got accomplished on the first day of the conference did the sort of surprise some climate activists and you know probably also then like let everyone at the conference be like, well, we did a good thing on day one, so we can just you know, lobby and party for the rest of it. But can I can I ask a sort of bigger picture question of the two of you for something I've been thinking about with climate activism and sort of you know what needs to get done, which is I think we've moved so far past the point where like a single solution or even like a single kind of group like, oh, the people are going to get together in Kyoto at COP three and kind of like governments are going to figure this out. We've moved so far past that idea of like a couple central answers to this that weirdly it feels like now we're in a well, we might as well try everything moment, right, And I think talking to folks you know, who are active in climate change circles, like that is where we're at.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 3: It's like no one solution, no one political process, no one country is going to solve this. We just kind of have to try everything. And I weirdly find a little solace in that in that, like the guardrails, the abdication of responsibility is sort of off for most people, and it's just kind of like, well, we got to try everything, and so you know, maybe this is just maybe this is a sort of me giving up in some way. But I'm like, if cop accomplishes a you know, two percent of something, great because over here, someone's going to accomplish two percent over here, and that's the only way this is going to happen. Is just like a million different things nudging progress a little bit forward, as opposed to what we were doing for I think for a long time, which was sort of saying like, well, world leaders need to get together and get their act together. And I think that you know, idea is long gone.
Speaker 2: Right, yeah, Like it kind of the thing kind of reminds me of like those like scenes and like a like a superhero comedy film where someone's trying to get away in a car and the superheroes just lifting the car from the back so the wheels can't move right, and like that's what this feels like. The cars like it could go forward if these assholes let them let go and let it move forward. And then so we get these little incremental changes that like are absolutely heartening. I think it's just and then but looking at the totality of it, it's like, God, there's still so much energy and investment to basically offset whatever gains there are to continue like the profitability of the extraction. But I think, like to your point, it is better to think of like that there are many ways to potentially achieve this, whether it's through like how fucking like the dairy industry is working, or agriculture these other things, and if many of these things can come together that there we may find a way here. But the biggest thing is it's it's these nations. It's these state actors who are really have a lot of control over like the sheer volume of emissions. And when you know that, like they're like, hey, we're bringing our lobbyists to to COP twenty eight to represent our gas industries. Like just like like how serious are we? So I'm I'm less nihilistic and maybe I'm just more de frustrated. Yes, that's that's kind of where I'm at.
Speaker 1: I would say, I'm curious when in looking back at the past cops, do you, like, would your sense be if there was some way to quantify like the actual beneficial ideas or you know, progress that came from each one of them. Like, how do you think if we were to rank the top twenty eight cops? Okay, top twenty eight?
Speaker 2: How long do you have copy?
Speaker 1: But I'm just wondering because it feels like putting a meeting together, a meeting of the minds with this as a as the central goal is a good idea in theory. Once it becomes a place for various companies to strategize, like in the presence of people talking about things that are specifically meant to hem them in Like then it almost becomes like you're building an institutional means for just skirting all the laws and all of the things that we are trying to do. Because yeah, I totally agree, Like it's not going to be one silver bullet, it's going to be a lot of things. But those all of those things are going to be avoided with precision and legal you know, just millions of hours of legal arguments and contracts and things like that put in by these companies because that's what they do. Like sending companies that are focused only on profit for the most part, like focused only on profit to be the solution to climate change. It just seems so it seems not like you know, well we might as well try everything and more like this is actively doing harm, Like it's going to be the thing that will allow us to continue down the road that we've been going down. Yeah, is my concern.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's like that, it's like that that quote that Homer says and like about beer, except it's like fossil fuels the cause of and solution to all life's problems. You're like, how because there's so many gas on it. Well, I mean that is a huge thing. Like you hear the people how the lobbyists are speaking about the industries that the industry they represent, and they're like, we have to do this in a humane way, like and it's really talking about humane to their company's bottom line. But they're but they couch it in this thing, this argument of like, well, we're gonna need fossil fuels to help these other economies get online to get to that point. But really, and I think that's what makes it really difficult is because there it's easy to do this sort of double speak and then from that extract like a good headline if you are in the more greenwashing sector of this conference, or you can extract a good headline if you're there to protect the investments or whatever. So it is just kind of wild though, too, because we're in this like liminal base where like they're rich and powerful, are still doing their old school shit, like you know, like just self dealing in full view of the public, but because they were used to like a public that was just uninformed or apathetic, and now people are like what the fuck hold on, who's running the conference? How many lobbyists?
Speaker 3: And they're like, what the what's Well, it's a reality check where I think, you know, over the last year or two in the US, you know, I think you could probably tell yourself a story that like, oh, you know, the sort of capitalistic market incentives and the energy and the climate change have kind of moved a little more in parallel and are maybe working a little more in sync right over the last year. And I think, you know, for sure, the Biden's bill has a big part of that, and that was the sort of calculus there, and then you just you know, to your point, well as you get this like wake up call where it's just like a Katari assaultan who's like, what the fuck are you talking about? I'm an oil guy, Like, let's let's do it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I brought the guess what, I just brought the entire global oil industry to my back yard. And then we can kind of like side plan stuff based on whatever else is going on. So yeah, it's it's uh, yeah, it's.
Speaker 3: One one little tidbit, just that I noticed here from this guy that you you shouted out Sultan Ahmed al Jabart, which is like he spent his first his talk at the Climate on his first day his major address, like complaining about how the media had misinterpreted him about his climate, about his you know, comments earlier aboutw we'll never be able to divest from fossil fuels. And it's just such a like hallmark powerful person abdication of responsibility to then like just get their backs up about being misquoted and then spend their whole time. I feel like that's like if you're president of FIFA, that's all you do. You complain about media coverage. You don't actually address all the things. But it's like it's like it was it's just such a classic classic move and it was just.
Speaker 1: In a classic keynote. You want to open open the conference by talking about your own petty bullshit and resens that's how people you get everybody investment.
Speaker 2: The keynote address for the Conference of the Parties to help tackle the issue of Earth death, and you kick it off with to all my fucking haters. You're like, oh shit, no, no, no, this is this is completely gone off the rails.
Speaker 1: Amazing. All right, let's move on to the boring black Mirror episode that young people today.
Speaker 3: Of the top cops on the discord. Okay cops, top.
Speaker 2: Cops Commandant Lessarge from Police Academy.
Speaker 3: And that's it.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, that guy rules, just completely oblivious.
Speaker 2: Completely senile. Yeah, that's what we need.
Speaker 1: Was he Henry from Punky Brewster or do I just is he just that guy in my memory?
Speaker 2: No way to know, I said, Lessarge Lassard George Gaines. That's what was the I mean we can well wait, we'll sidebar, we'll sidebar.
Speaker 1: Anyways, Henry Punky.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, yeah, yeah he was. He was. Hey, look at that. It was Henry Warnemont. I'm Punky bar. It is all right there.
Speaker 1: There was an article on Axios a couple weeks back that is basically just saying we're going to be living with roommates until we're fifty. That is, on average, the average age of people who can rent solo is fifty now, because everyone under that age is too poor and the rent is too damn high. It also mentions the baby boomers have quote ditched home ownership for low maintenance apartments, which makes it sound like a breezy lifestyle choice.
Speaker 2: This one easy hack.
Speaker 1: Yeah, find out about this one easy hack. Real estate agents don't want you to know about. Sell your house to.
Speaker 2: Them, Sell your house to a corporate entity.
Speaker 1: Yes, the one that really jumped out to me, eighty seven percent jump in the number of Americans age twenty five to thirty four living at home in twenty twenty one compared to the previous decade. Meanwhile, the typical repeat home buyer is currently fifty eight according to data from the National Association of Realtors. And you know, there's been a lot of reporting from There's a New York Times article from last year. There's a Script's article from earlier this year about how more and more single family homes than ever are being purchased by investors, which ties into our special episode about private equity companies from earlier in the year. I think who killed the free ambulance? Was that what it was called? Something along those.
Speaker 3: Lines, just industry by industry, just following it out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, exactly.
Speaker 1: And there's this one quote in the Script's news article that I just want to read to you guys, word for word. There are billions of dollars, trillions of dollars, just sloshing around in the econ me looking for places to go.
Speaker 2: Where do we go?
Speaker 1: What are we going to invest in? Real estate is a really really good investment, said Mike Delpre, a global real estate text strategist and scholar. It's definitely an issue worth paying attention to. So from his perspective, it's like an issue worth paying attention to.
Speaker 2: Scholar.
Speaker 1: Yes, he's a real estate text strategist and scholar at the University of Colorado, Boulder.
Speaker 2: I wonder if that was like a description he gave to them. He's like, yeah, you can describe me as this and.
Speaker 3: That about s h oh, I'm a scholar of making that bank.
Speaker 2: Yeah, oh no, it's s C A L L E R. I'm a shot caller, that's what. Yeah, yeah, s collar. I'm sorry, did you not get it? Tell y'all what to do with these houses? You can get funk right out of here. I'm a collar.
Speaker 1: That is ultimately where the where the term scholar came from?
Speaker 2: Of course, just the origin.
Speaker 1: Little shot colors. But yeah, I don't know. For first of all, very infuriating for you know, when most people's lived reality is check to check that the investor classes problem is like, what how do we unburden ourselves from all these trillions of dollars that came our way during the pandemic?
Speaker 2: Just that that that fucking metaphor. It's so it's just so wild, right because it's like you're like you're acknowledging a finite resource like money, and many people don't have it, and like you're likning it to like having like a kiddie pool of just like fucking water slashing everywhere while people are like dying.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I got money problems too, man, dude, it's slashing everywhere, the money problem.
Speaker 2: Shit, yeah, like I get it.
Speaker 1: But yeah, I don't know. And there's always like an industry person who's like, guys, that private companies buying up single family homes not a big deal, Like we're actually not that big of the industry, Like I barely matter. I suck, okay, like none of don't even you don't, Like, why are you even talking to me? I suck. There's nothing here, which is usually a bad sign when like an industry group just keeps trying to be like guys, I like I'm I'm shit, why are you you know? There's there's this is a non story, but I don't know. It just seems like when you talk to like the New York Times article from spring of last year was just looking at an individual I think it was Charlotte real estate market and it's just when it and I found this to be true anybody who is thinking about like trying to buy a home or you know, like this is the number one thing they mentioned now is that like you are going to get scooped by some company, Like they talk to this woman who is trying to buy a single family home in Charlotte instead forced to downsize from a rental home to an apartment, and you know, the the car that or the home that she wants to buy is bought my tricon Residential who owns sixteen hundred homes.
Speaker 3: And yeah, this got me thinking about a kind of bigger sort of story I feel like in my life and I'm curious how you think about kind of home ownership and how I've thought about it, you know, because I do think like I'm of a generation where I did push back or you know kind of there was a car I thought a really important conversation about like, well is home ownership the sort of goal, you know, and our parents that was the thing for our parents coming, you know. And I was like to buy a home and effort. That is the American dream. And I, you know, I think I became convinced and I kind of probably spouted language along these lines of like, well, you know, that's not the fit for everyone, you know, and maybe it's not the fit for me. And I wonder if we were kind of sold, well, we were kind of being sold to that idea. They're like, no, it's not you know, it's not ye it's the American dream anymore. There's other ways in the mean time, you know, that option was just being ripped off the table to begin with, and that I think is the real sort of tragedy here. It's just it's not just that, like everyone should own a home and that is the most you know, that is still the sort of definition of the American dream. But just the lack of options and and everyone I know, you know, and all the people in the reporting here, the pervading feeling is just constriction, you know, and the inability to even make a choice and have agency and sort of figure out what's best for yourself. And I think that's like, you know, that's incredibly tragic. And I will say, like, you know, this may be taking us a little bit of far afield, but I will say, like, when I think about this kind of big conversation that's happening, and it will only build going into next year about the disconnect between people's economic feelings and the actual economic indicators that are out there. And you know, binding has built a pretty good economy, but people still think the economy is terrible. Yeah, housing is the answer to me, right, Yeah, you can look at every other you know, metric about wage growth and inflation going down and all these other things. But if you just like can't get from here to there, if you want to own a home, like I don't think any of those other metrics matten or if you feel like that's like a big part of it, I think.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you're on the verge of not making rent like that. Then Yeah. Homelessness is like, you know, something that hangs over a lot of people who are still might show up on that as like employed, and you know, but being employed and the precarity of like being in a gig economy, you know, role is like that's not a comfortable place to be and a lot of these things are things that have just changed generation to generation.
Speaker 3: You know, you know it does it does tie into that sort of gig economy overall, like gig ification of our lives that like oh yeah, you know yeah, if you're under forty, like the way you want to live your life is just like improvising every day, you know, like just move around and your rent and you figured this out, You figured this out, you have a five. I don't think so.
Speaker 1: I think yeah, stability well, and I think like the cop what what happened to the cop conference is.
Speaker 3: A I think you're gonna say a cop on the slide?
Speaker 1: Slide happened to the US economy?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 2: What like that would be a good time hopping in there, and it just fucked us up. On the other end, well, you.
Speaker 1: Have corporations and like private equity companies as like the major decision makers and like designers of an entire civilization for for decades, which it seems like we've had for for a while now, and like really being the power that politicians have to you know, push back against and often like listen to like this is kind of what you end up with where it's just like their flexibility is the thing that ends up being you know, unshakable and not like people's security at the end of the day and feeling secure. So it just feels like any anywhere where where they have fully where like massive corporations or private equity or you know, the people who view money as a problem in the sense that they what to do with all this money being the problem that they're trying to solve, Like when those are the only people making the decisions, like you end up with subtle fissures in like day to day life of people who aren't making those decisions that don't don't look great, don't feel great. And you know, there's a Senate bill that would close legal, tax and regulatory loopholes that allow private equity firms to capture all the rewards of the investments in real estate while insulating them from risk. And it has sat in committees since Elizabeth Warren and Sharrod Brown introduced it in October of last year. So it's yeah, it's.
Speaker 2: There's like, yeah, I think Rocana also has a bill about banning corporate landlords because like when you look at it, I mean, this problem is only increasing and you know, Jeff Bezos just put like a ton of money into this like new company. This is like an investment company called Arrived that basically allows people to like like become sort of small time landlords. It's like, well you can get you can own a property for as little as one hundred dollars by like crowd crowd fucking people like that. And that's sort of like this new like we're just seeing all these entry points to sort of either because I see something like this a lot of people that are defending this company, It's like, well, they're not like one of these institutional corporate landlords like Invitation Homes that owns eighty thousand single family rental homes or like Blackstone. They're like, this is actually allowing people just a way to have that kind of security or those aspirations in a way that's realistic for them. And really it's just more like they're being like you could be a landlord, dude, Like you're not gonna live here, but you can you can fucking maybe profit off of this situation.
Speaker 1: They're not a Blackstone, more of a gray Stone, which is also a massive corporate create.
Speaker 3: How many colors are left white?
Speaker 2: Brownstone?
Speaker 1: Yeah, mister Brownstone, all right, well let's uh, let's take a break and we'll come back and talk about less less depressing things. Maybe we'll see maybe maybe we'll be right back. And we're back. And first of all, just big news. George Santos is on cameo, So get your get your wallets ready, get your wallets out, folks. Two hundred dollars per video, and offers options such as holiday birthday gossip, pep talk, roast advice, another.
Speaker 2: Oh man, let's get like you can pay him to like tell like confidential ship or something.
Speaker 1: You want to know the sea of stuff. You know, how do I get the gossip on what my neighbor's Social Security number is?
Speaker 2: Yeah, what's going on with the Pacific Fleet? Right now? You can give that tea.
Speaker 1: And then John Fetterman used it to tuch shit at Bob Menendez. So that's a little gossip.
Speaker 2: That's t It's just also we just found out Bob Menendez, like those gold bars that he got paid when we talked about how he was taking like he was literally taking literal gold bars, they were from some robbery from ten years ago.
Speaker 3: I didn't realize that.
Speaker 2: Like they connected robbery that somehow. Yeah, they're like, yeah, anyway, so that senator has it and then you have. It's just like it's funny. A lot of people are like, wow, John Fetterman paid George Santos to like troll Bob Menendez. But I'm like, I don't know, like the Fetterman things are to really wear thin where I'm like, Okay, I get you were very savvy on social media when you were just dunking on doctor Oz during the campaign, and now like I'm just like just from the the like the jingoistic stuff like that he's been doing with like Israel's like wrapping himself in a flag and stuff and being like there was no means will like the civilian death stop. And now he's like and I also gave George Santo's campaign money out your pockets, yeah, to like own Bob Menendez. Like none of it is.
Speaker 3: Just like now this, I mean this, I'm like this makes me want to scream, Like this is just so depressing and like, yeah, the Federman thing and the Santos thing and the enabling of Santos, I mean obviously the enabling of Santos up until this point also makes me want to scream I just think it's just like incredible that they didn't find a way. You know, I think you can you can measure a lot by sort of what are people willing to put up with? And I think like that's a really good way to look at the modern Republican Party is like where is the line for you know, not that's the like not what not what's become acceptable? But where has the line for what's unacceptable?
Speaker 2: Move to? Uh?
Speaker 3: And you know the fact that this wasn't on the on that side of the line until very recently, but yeah, this cameo thing, it's like it's so well, it's embarrassing and it's like so unserious and it is I think, like really like a culmination of a really corrosive thing of just like what like we think everything is reality TV. We think everything is like an ironic game, and it's like, what the what are we doing?
Speaker 2: People? Like it's really really.
Speaker 3: Frustrating, And the fact that like anostensibly serious democrat is like playing that game, It's just like, yeah, what the fuck? What the fuck?
Speaker 1: I don't know what they're talking about it. I'm just trying to decide which of the two presidential candidates who have laser eyes e mojis I should vote for yeah, right, But we're a very serious political nation.
Speaker 2: I mean I want dark Brandon. It's not a guy you know, you know it is.
Speaker 3: I mean this is where Santo's probably should have been all along, right, I mean he like that's That's another part of this story too, is like the fact that people whose destiny was d level celebrity selling videos for two hundred dollars on cameo, the fact that they see politics as their path to that, like it's a perfectly reasonable place to end up. Great, you know, Ted Cruz, like Ted Cruse right now wants to be a podcast host. That's clearly wants what he wants to do.
Speaker 1: He should just.
Speaker 3: Leave politics and be a podcast host. And the fact that people still think it's reasonable to stay in politics, so they think it's all part of the same game, right, I mean, that's the that is the core of the problem right now.
Speaker 1: And my call letters are kiss my ass? Oh those aren't letters, man? Those what where my cruisers at?
Speaker 2: Y'all out there? Let me hear you one time? All right? Cool?
Speaker 1: Yeah, it does feel like with Santos we're seeing like the death of a politician and the birth of a reality TV celebrity whose name I wouldn't otherwise have known.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but well he's you know, he's following the playbook, Like how all people who get into sponsored content from a reality show, you know, like you you make a big scene, people like oh, who's that on that show? Then you get off and then you can start doing some spawn con on the Instagram. Although I don't know to the label.
Speaker 3: The point it's the reality TV show play, but not the fucking politics play.
Speaker 1: But it's completely Donald Trump, like it's the reality it's both.
Speaker 3: Yeah, not to mention that just like, gosh, some of the stuff he's actually accused of doing. It's not just like, oh what I'm like lovable grifter, like some really awful shit stealing from fucking cancer. But then there's like some shit about a dog, like it's just really it should just be beyond.
Speaker 2: The different way.
Speaker 1: Hasn't stolen from cancer, It.
Speaker 2: Wasn't done a fundraiser for a dog, and then check all the money for yourself. You think I got Lambeau.
Speaker 1: Wow, Well yeah, all right, let's talk bass pro shops. So this came to our attention because Garth Brooks we for some reason we like to keep an eye on Garth Brooks. He's the best selling artist in American pop music history, which I think flies under the radar a little bit. He has a new album, but it's only available to buy in bass pro shops and the hell yeah, like, I don't know, it's a weird. I think he was like trying to do like it has no digital footprint. There are like no reviews from professional critics, possibly because it's only available at bass pro shops. But it's like, yeah, you can't really get it online. It's it's weird.
Speaker 2: Is it an album if it only comes out at pass pro shops. It's kind of I think where we're at philosophically, because they're like, I don't know how stick it's only there no no review copies for anybody. You think it's just a bad album, Like it's a in like intentional He's like, yeah, let's just release it at bess pro shops.
Speaker 1: It's like the Wu Tang album that they only sold to Martin Screley, but just you know, with a couple thousand copies and stuff, just the one.
Speaker 3: I know, I know this is a different era, but are you familiar with the two thousand and seven Joni Mitchell album Shine. Are you familiar with the two thousand and eight Carly Simon album This Kind of Love? No, those albums were put out on a record label, Conquered Music Group that was co founded by Starbucks, and you can only buy those CDs in Starbucks and Starbucks. This isn't totally different from something that has happened in the past. I know we're living in the digital music era, but you know, there are This has long been the case where you can kind of like find particular music or culture in particular stores, and people have done specific releases, you know, and so big chains have started record labels before. It's a little weird in the digital era where like, I mean, Starbucks shuttered its record thing as soon as the Internet took But I think.
Speaker 1: It's more interesting from the perspective, not like from Garth what you do, Oha man, and more from the perspective of like what does this corporation see themselves as? And in the case of Starbucks, it was misguided that they were like Starbucks is really like more of a vibe. It's more of like.
Speaker 3: A although I mean it really happened, I mean it was a powerful cultural force for a while. I mean there's like a whole sort of generation of bands that like, yeah, just you knows we're Starbucks bands, and like that phenomenon of like hearing something in Starbucks and then seeing that the album was right there to purchase next to the store. I mean, you know, and I think that's like part of a story. I mean, Starbucks clearly wanted this to happen. I think press Prostrps clearly wants this to happen. But you know that that the brand and the store become a sort of cultural space more than just a place where you go to buy stuff. And yeah, that's clearly what's happening here.
Speaker 2: And then I just but it's just interesting when you see an artist make a decision like that where it's like, right, yeah, I like to sell albums. But then you're like, you know, this isn't the best way to achieve like ubiquity for this album, right, is to just put physical copies in this one store. So that's I'm like, I'm always curious what the economic of it are for them to be like, they're actually paying me a lot of money up front, yeah, to do I wonder, you know what I mean?
Speaker 3: Right, But also, I mean I do wonder how much it is that like you're not going to be making You don't make music by selling actual music anymore anyway. So it's like if this is if there's some big endorsement deal here where he gets a bag for that, and then he goes makes this money the way that you can kind of actually make money in music these days, which is a huge tour.
Speaker 2: Or whatever, you know.
Speaker 3: And then now so I suspect he has some he's got some people with some spreadsheets in his camp.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this is the right way to go.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he I mean, he's done this before with targeting and Walmart. But Bess, pro shops are kind of so have you company. I've never been inside.
Speaker 3: I've been there.
Speaker 2: It's wonderful, it's wild. I was like, there's a fucking you could test drive a boat in the boat, like.
Speaker 3: You can test. You know, I grew up fishing. I went to a lot of Best Pro shops and like, you know, you can test. You could test all your reels there and they have ponds and then you know, it's it is a real like amusement park slash, right, yeah, cultural space slash. You know, they're trying to sell you a bunch of stuff too, including a bunch of guns, which is probably the major.
Speaker 1: Seller of guns, and they are among the only they are the biggest seller of guns that just refuse to implement any restrictions in the wake of Marjorie Stoneman shooting and Sandy Hook and you know, just kept selling assault rifles even after personal appeals from Sandy Hook families and then pass Pro shops are a longtime partner of the NRA. One of their stores even houses a NRA gun museum, and they sell NRA t shirts featuring, say, a picture of a handgun with a Constitution engraved on the barrel. One Arkansas store made headlines for selling a rifle that celebrated the tail trail of tears massacre like that on the box.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because we're about the we're like for hunters man in that whole thing. Celebrate the trail of tears of this.
Speaker 1: It has like people on horses with the rifle that you're buying with, you know, Native Americans walking.
Speaker 3: All right, here's a here's a quiz for the two of you at the NRA National Sporting Arms Museum at the Springfield, Missouri Brass Post shops. There is an exhibit called the Hollywood Collection, and it features guns used and owned by at least four Hollywood celebrities. Okays are on display. No, not Charltons. That is surprising, but no not I think.
Speaker 1: The first one.
Speaker 3: No, Clint Eastwood, Yes, Clinta is the first one. And the second one is probably pretty obvious too.
Speaker 1: None of the action heroes like a hero.
Speaker 3: Nope, No, it's in that Clinton, It's in that Clint Yep. John Wayne is the second person listed. The third one is a current bo I would say, not known for guns, maybe known for other more swashbuckling forms of violence, camp be violence in his movies.
Speaker 1: Oh, Johnny Depp.
Speaker 3: Johnny Depp really And the fourth selection.
Speaker 1: Johnny should have guns personal safety and others well, like like flintlock pistols and shit like.
Speaker 3: His guns be taken and be put in the museum at the Springfield Very Presto shop. And then the fourth one is Tom Selleck. So see Tom Selek's gun.
Speaker 1: I guess name was Magnum. For God's sake, there you go. So I was surprised to learn that Bass Pro Shops empire was largely paid for by taxpayers, so they routinely build giant stores using government subsidies promising economic benefits such as jobs, and the jobs disproportionately go to white people. As a twenty eleven Equal Employment Opportunity Commission lawsuit alleged the fishing and hunting gear supplier knowingly and systematically discriminated against Hispanic and Black applicants and hiring, and some of its managers used racial slurs. One manager of Houston air are A store told his human resource manager that quote, it's getting a little dark in here. You need to hire some white people.
Speaker 2: Jeez.
Speaker 3: So and an investigation like a euphemism in the first half of that, they're quickly judge, and then he follows it.
Speaker 1: Up with people, I'm not known for my subtlety.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: But an investigation in twenty twelve found that two point two billion in taxpayer money went to Bass pro Shops and Kabela's, which is Bass pro Shops bought in twenty sixteen in the preceding fifteen years, noting the best pro Shops often pays comparably little towards the construction of its own stores, and their argument is that their business should be viewed as a public amenity like a park, or a library or a museum. Yeah, these aren't just stores, these are natural history museums. Well with their CEOs.
Speaker 2: People who would agree with you are currently trying to destroy libraries also, So we're gonna have to find common ground here.
Speaker 1: Why do you need libraries when you have quote, gun libraries, which is what they call some of their like gun collections that act as legal justification to qualify as museums and therefore access public funds.
Speaker 2: Oh so it's like some Trump ship where it's like, put a museum called the museum, get that one gun from die Hard, and now you can get subsidies because it's the fucking museum.
Speaker 1: That's the sweatshirt where it says, ho ho ho, Now I have a machine gun. So there's your reading material, asshole.
Speaker 3: The featured book on the Bass Pro Shops book page on their website is The Man I Knew, The Amazing Story of George H. W. Bush's post presidency.
Speaker 2: There it is.
Speaker 1: Written by who the Man I Knew?
Speaker 3: Gene Becker.
Speaker 1: I'm just wondering if it was his mistress, because he famously had like a long time, long time affair, like somebody who is basically his chief his life yeah, oh okay, but yeah, I don't know. It seems like they've historically acted pretty much like a con artist would, praying on communities that need money by making you know, lofty promises to help troubled economies. Harrisburg, Pennsylvania literally played seven million dollars in subsidies while they were four hundred and thirty seven million dollars in debt and literally sold off schools to make that investment.
Speaker 3: I mean, it is funny how Walmart is, like, you know, receive so much the ire around this kind of stuff, you know, but yeah, gun sales and the sort of extractive nature of you know, the subsidies they get and the wages they pay and so forth, and how they you know, eat up small businesses, and you know, I guess I don't have a sense of scale. I imagine Walmart is considerably bigger than the best pro shops. But it is funny that that there isn't that kind of conversation about best.
Speaker 1: Pro shops is like a comer.
Speaker 2: It's like on the on the growth path.
Speaker 1: And like a lot of times I talk about like the singularity, the thing that everyone's afraid of, where this like HyperIntelligence that becomes undefeatable and insinuates itself into our lives, like is already here and it is just hyper capitalism and like you know, Walmart figures out this amazing way to exploit taxpayers and like get everywhere. It's not like Bass Pro Shop is not learning from that and going to like take every single you know, learning that they possibly can to keep to keep growing and doing the same thing. So that's yeah, it's uh, we got to.
Speaker 2: Find a way. We got to find a way to get like on this Bass Pro Shop subsidies.
Speaker 1: Wave, you know what I meaneah, like National Service.
Speaker 2: I'm almost like I would love to like how are they able to do it so well like that to be like like it's like a football stadium or some shit. It's like on that level because it's like football. It's like, right, no, I get that, Yeah, Cartoon America Americana. Yeah, but I wonder who, like because clearly like there are many people who have connections with their lobbying efforts or whatever, and I'm I really want to see, like who are the people that are really helping because you know, like when you see it like subsidies like this, there's always like a couple senators or congress people who are like always like sticking up for that kind of shit I saw when I was lobbying. How like they were like three senators who we knew like would have the industries back for certain things. So I'm curious who, like the real people are who are like you know, BPS, dude, I got your back no matter what. The subsidies will keep flooding because look, it's a museum, it is a library. It is a place for us to do better, to improve ourselves and not and also discriminate against, you know, people who would like to work here.
Speaker 3: Yeah, can I throw something on your list for future things to dig into?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 3: Dollar General. You know that Dollar General has more than four times as many stores in the US as Walmart. Yeah, it's like a force, and it's the same thing. It's extractive and low wages, and the CEO of Dollar General has actually bragged that he can like shutter a store and move out of a town in twenty four hours. Uh, I mean it is just incredible, So yeah, worth worth a dig into.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's it's wild. Yeah, like also says a lot about like, you know, how a lot of these industries look at consumers and like where they're at and being like yeah, and we can just kind of keep keep the accelerator down on that, on that movement.
Speaker 1: Unfortunately, the economy is thriving, so no one's going to have to shop at a Dollar General. That place is on its way out. Jody, what a pleasure of having you as always?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Where can people find you? Follow you? All that good stuff?
Speaker 3: Allow me to utter the four greatest words in the English language. Yes, follow me on threads. Threads, I'm making it happen, like it, I'm making it happen now. No, I've been over there for a while and then I kind of like dilly dallied and I've just I don't know whatever I mean. I'm I'm I'm trying very complicated feeling is obviously about Twitter whatever, but I'm trying to post more on threads and it does make me feel slightly better. Yeah, so you know, follow me there, but uh yeah, listen to the Puzzler.
Speaker 2: I like that.
Speaker 3: I really like making the show. It's like a daily shorts from iHeart so, but you know, it's it's like five eight minutes a day. It's very fun. I think you guys sometimes, So yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: I know.
Speaker 2: I was like listening to a couple episodes, and it's funny how sometimes I think this happens to anyone listening to a podcast where like any kind of trivia or something is being asked and you know the answer before the person on the show. Do you like that? Do you like? So?
Speaker 3: This is something we've talked about a lot making the show.
Speaker 2: You know, do you do? You?
Speaker 3: Do you like those moments? Are they frustrating to you? This question of whether you know we want it so that the audience knows before the guests or a vice versa.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean there's some that are like actually into like like obviously really good questions that I didn't like, couldn't answer at all. But the ones that I knew, I'm less like, I don't know that doesn't that's not necessarily aggravating. I think it's more for like my ego to be like, I know this, come.
Speaker 3: On, I think that's what we found, you know. And I and I used to write the like year end news quiz on the Brian Lehir Show, which is like the big you know call in show here in New York at w M i C. And like the thing I learned there was like you can't make it too easy because people people like to get stuff right and people listening like to know stuff and like it's actually and it's also like pretty crappy radio to like hear someone struggle and so you know, not that the puzzler isn't like stimulating and engaging, but we've tried to find that sweet spot and generally our default is kind of like if the audience at home gets it before the guests, that's a really good dynamic.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, yeah, Well, clearly you've gone with that dynamic because you've asked us to come.
Speaker 3: On and be like no, yeah, I mean now we've basically we're the biggest idiots we're convienced to.
Speaker 2: Come on this show.
Speaker 1: And how do you feel about the phrase dull boy?
Speaker 2: Golly really geez, got it all over my shirt?
Speaker 3: What?
Speaker 2: Sorry, I'm real.
Speaker 1: Sorry, I'm eating a burrito, tackle bell I get it extra chrispy. Yeah, all right, amazing. Is there a work of media that you've been enjoying, Jodie.
Speaker 3: I really like that show The Rest Is History. If you listen to that show, it's these two British historians and they just do big, deep dives but I mean, I just find myself listening to that more than any other show. And they're very funny and they know their stuff, and they do these big multi part series. And they're doing one Ratty right now about the JFK assassination, which is super deep and which is heavy. But the rest is history is history. The rest is history. Now, yeah, which guy, Now you have my attention, and this is.
Speaker 2: This is heavy.
Speaker 3: But but the thing that hooked me on them, and I think is like really stunning, is they did a multi part series about the rise of Hitler, the Rise of the Nazis, and it, like, you know, it's one of those stories that I've engaged with so many different over and over and in so many different ways, and I didn't feel like I kind of really understood that dynamics until I listened to this. So you know, I would highly recommend that. So got the rest is history, but just dive in. They do all these you know, they do all sorts of stuff.
Speaker 1: I'm so in tes by that we might have to cut that recommendation because nobody's going to listen to our podcast now. Excitingly amazing miles mm hmm. Where can people find you as their work media you've been enjoying.
Speaker 2: Yeah, find me on you know, the at based places, including Threads, at Miles of Gray, Find Jack and I on our basketball podcast Miles and jackob Back, and also what else, what else? Find me on four twenty day Fiance. We're talk about ninety day fiance with Sophia Alexandra. Let's see a tweet. I like, this is something actually I forgot was a thing. But at morning Gloria Aaron Ryan shared this this Daily Beast article which maybe she wrote, but anyway, it said, time for my aie. It is actually time for my annual sharing of the most important home alone theory and possibly the apex of my writing career and home alone. What if Kevin McAllister is dead the whole time? Jesus Christ.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, weavy, but he's in ghost wandering around that house.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Do his parents know he's dead or they're gonna come back and hat?
Speaker 2: But he hated his family too, Like what's good? There's like, oh, so he's already dead, oh the whole time?
Speaker 1: Yeah, Like even in the beginning.
Speaker 2: Jack, you gotta read this is how this is how chum the waters. So you can check out Aaron Ryan's Wait, does she go on there? Does she just positive the whole thing? It's the piece is called home alone? Is so much better if Kevin McCall's it's a piece.
Speaker 3: I see. I thought it was just a profit.
Speaker 2: Let me just throw that out there. And I've heard like people say this before in years past, Like I like, it felt like some peak college stone. She's like, du you know, like he's dead, right, But yeah, this is.
Speaker 3: The question is could you basically do that for every movie?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 3: So could you just take that theory and PLoP it onto any movie?
Speaker 2: And yeah, probably every movie?
Speaker 1: Basically, Yeah, I have this theory. What if Bruce Willis is dead in the sixth sense?
Speaker 2: There you go, think about that.
Speaker 1: Blow your mind.
Speaker 3: This is a good podcast idea, just like just a movie review podcast where we just talk about it. But the main character's dead, right exactly.
Speaker 2: The Godfather, You're like, dude.
Speaker 1: Doesn't even make sense, Shut up, it does.
Speaker 2: He's fucking dead time. It's actually spooky. Now on the day of his daughter's wedding, why do they go to him? Because he have that kid man.
Speaker 1: You can find me on Twitter at Jack Underscore O'Brien. Some tweets I've been enjoined. Speaking of home alone, Young Chomsky has the picture of Kevin talking to his neighbor the snowshovel killer, and his neighbor's saying, my son won't speak to me, he's too woke. And then Scott Hagley tweeted, you know, if they just introduced seatbelts now, conservatives would be so mad and just a good point. They would not be wearing those shits.
Speaker 3: They would be oh well, there's act footage of that floating around when they mandated seatbelts, and you have people saying the exact same language that they were saying around COVID. You know, like government tell me what to do. I can trust you know, I trust myself. And there's one you know, it's in It's like it's.
Speaker 2: Incredible say with like drinking and driving, Like if I want to have a beer rap work and you're like, wow, I'm driving home from work.
Speaker 1: And to work. You can find us on Twitter at daily zeike Geist. We're at the Daily zeit Geist on Instagram. We have a Facebook fanpage and a website Daily zeike guist dot com, where we post our episodes and our footnote. We link off to the information that we talked about in today's episode, as well as the song that we think you might enjoy. Myles, what song do we think people might enjoy? Uh?
Speaker 2: This is a track from a German English new jazz vocalist. I believe U. Let me make sure I have the name right. Yeah, this is Freya Roy Roy f r e y A and it's called Calling My Name. It's just a dope kind of new jazz. I'm like interestingly enough, all the music apps that I use it like you listen to a lot of English new jazz, European new jazz. Here are some new artists for you to check out. And this one actually I liked a lot. So this is Rayo Roy with Calling my Name.
Speaker 1: All right, Well we will link off to that in the footnotes. The Daily Zeitgeis is a production of iHeartRadio. For more podcasts from iHeartRadio, visit the iHeart Radio app, Apple podcast or wherever fine podcasts or give it away for free. That's gonna do it for us this morning, back this afternoon to tell you what is trending and we will touch you all.
Speaker 2: Then bite bite Bu