Speaker 1: Loud and Quiet presents Midnight Chats.
Speaker 2: Good evening, everybody, and welcome to the Loud and Quiet Interview podcast. Sorry I went for some big energy there. I'm very self conscious about these introductions, and I always think I'm putting lots of energy into it, and it never is the case. When I listen back to it, it always sounds really dull. So I just I went for it. Then it didn't work. It didn't work at all. Thank you for joining us once again, if indeed you are a return customer. This is episode fifty eight of Midnight Chats. If you're brand new to us, Midnight Chats is the podcast brought to you by Loud and Quiet Magazine. We interview a different musician each week and it's called Midnight Chats because we put it online at midnight and the whole vibe of the conversation, which you could say is under researched, you could also say is informal and has a late night phil That would be a more polite way of saying it, and that's what we choose to say about it. But hopefully you will enjoy this podcast. It's with Cat Power this week. Last week we had a live special one that Greg did with Josh T. Pearson. It was a loose chat. It was loose Josh I think was a little bit you know, he was having a good time. It had a good time the night before. Let's put it that way. Listen back if you've not checked that out. This week is a slightly different feel to that, and it's fresh off of the Factory line. I went and met Sean Marshall aka cap Power just two days ago. She was in town to play a couple of shows and staying in Marlabone in a very nice hotel, which she kindly invited me over to to record this so we could get some privacy. And I guess I didn't really know what to expect from meeting Shan. She's someone who's in the past had a reputation for being quite a volatile person, and a lot of that comes from live shows that she's done in the past that have not gone to plan, they have not ended well, and a lot of that is because of the extreme stage fright that she has suffered from for most of her career. And obviously people like to write about that kind of thing, you know, the drama of somebody not coping with being on stage very well as insensitive as that is. So with that, she has a certain reputation, but when I met her, she was couldn't have been further from any preconception like that. She was instantly very funny, very charming, very welcoming, and we had a really good laugh Before we even started recording this. We chose not to concentrate on Shan's hard upbringing in Atlanta, Georgia, or many of the other kind of really sad times that she has had to face in her life, including losing friends to drug addiction and just growing up very poor in America. We chose not to do that. That's what most of her interviews kind of inevitably end up landing on. Instead, we spoke about her love for karaoke, her son who is three years old. He's called Bo and he was with her on this trip, but he was on a sight seeing bus whilst we were doing this, and a little bit about New York, which I found really fascinating. What it was like to move to New York in nineteen ninety two. Sounds like it was a hell of a lot different to the New York that we now go and experience as tourists. And that was really interesting and actually that bit was sad. Still, there are plenty of laughs in this one, a lot more than you would probably think from a cat Power interview. How do you deal with the smoking situation on the plane? Are you?
Speaker 3: I'm not a crazy smoker, it's just if I haven't. When I'm working, I tend to smoke, you know. But when I'm not working, when I'm at home, I don't smoke. But I don't. It's not a problem. I actually enjoy not smoking. Okay, yeah, but I but I really love smoking too. If I'm you know, stressed out or.
Speaker 2: Do you do you do the vaping thing?
Speaker 3: I know you just showed me that I do that little thing that I just showed you when I'm working and I can't smoke inside and I need to just kind of take a breather a little fix.
Speaker 2: Well, thanks for coming on the podcast.
Speaker 3: Do you for having me?
Speaker 2: Do you listen to podcasts? Are you a podcast fan?
Speaker 3: I'm lucky if I get enough time to put a record on.
Speaker 2: So how what do you do when you're on a flight, When you're on a long, haole flight like you are yesterday, what do you use that time for that sacred airtime where you can't be bothered by people.
Speaker 3: Usually it's because I have a toddler, three and a half year old boy, So usually most of my flight is, you know, making sure he's sitting in a seat, that he's eating, that he's his you know, movie is working? Does he need to pee? Mainly I'm focused on him.
Speaker 2: Is he with you on this trip?
Speaker 3: He is? He's out. What do you call it? You know those London double duck, double decker.
Speaker 2: Tour sightseeing bus? Amazing? Has he been to London before?
Speaker 3: Oh? Yeah, yeah, yeah, this is third fourth? I can't remember. Actually he's been to France a bit more, but I don't know why he hasn't been here more.
Speaker 2: Does he seem to like it?
Speaker 3: He love? He knows Harry Potters from here.
Speaker 2: Okay, that's all you need to know.
Speaker 3: The thing worth he knows Austin Powers is from He knows who's the other one. There's one very important one and I can't think of who it is.
Speaker 2: I think Powers is the important one, isn't it?
Speaker 3: There's one that he what is it? Harry Potter, Austin Powers, Come on? One more?
Speaker 2: Is it something Shrek? Shrek? Okay? One more pepper Pig.
Speaker 3: He knows Pepper's British. Yeah, I forgot the other one.
Speaker 2: Pepper Pig is like crack to children, isn't it. I've never great, I've never met a child who is not obsessed with it, like really really into it.
Speaker 3: It's so relaxed, I think, because it's not like it looks like cutouts cutouts, So that's really one dimensional, so easy to you know, to lay on, to lay your brain on, because it's so simple. Colors are.
Speaker 2: They've got like two eyes on the same side of that face. Kids quiet, They don't have.
Speaker 3: To ever move, No, they move left and right or up or down.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so you don't do if I.
Speaker 3: Can read, I have a new mirror, Kami Haruku Murakami, which I'm trying to read. So I get like a couple of pages into that, and then on on this flight and actually and then I fall asleep. But I made the big, very enormous mistake of I don't watch scary films anymore. When I was a kid, of course, that's all I watched. But when I was pregnant, I just couldn't like, no more, no more scary movies, no more scary nightmares. Blah blah blah. But I made the very stupid mistake of watching. I could not. I could not. I cannot recommend it, not more than never, not ever. You should never see it. It's called hereditary. Hereditary.
Speaker 2: That's a horror film. Yeah, it's I'm not good with any type of horror film. I'm not even good with, like you know, Blair Witch this.
Speaker 3: I just was telling f Effie, this is if you could see what's going on?
Speaker 2: Right, Okay?
Speaker 3: Yeah, you shouldn't see it. You can't unsee it, you know.
Speaker 2: Is it gory? No, No, it's not gory, kind of psychological in your head.
Speaker 3: It's in your head because it's a mother relationship with the children, so that's psychological anyway. And she's losing, you know, you know, life is just sucking all around her. Life is really sucking, right, and you know she puts together that has some bad, really bad stuff going on.
Speaker 2: So when did you see this film on the plane? Oh?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 2: You saw? Okay?
Speaker 3: Right? Mistake rather than once you fell asleep, my son, rather than just like getting in my book, which I was really excited.
Speaker 2: For, watch a really horrible film.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean it's really good because it's it's that damaging. There's things at the end. You just had to turn it off.
Speaker 2: So what have you been watching that otherwise? Yeah, that's notch.
Speaker 3: We just got off tour the first like a tour, so just like you know, I haven't really been watching anything at all. It's basically just you know, like Black Stallion for him and different things e T and different things for him. Really stand by me, he really likes to.
Speaker 2: See that's cool. He's only three.
Speaker 3: Oh my gosh. So last night so he fell asleep, I couldn't sleep and he woke up. So I found really quickly he likes Lord of the Rings, which is very bad. Right. I have to have a lot of conversations about that, you know, the Dark Rider and all that stuff. But the end, it was the number three. It was on you know BBC some it was on TV last night and it was the very last scene where Gandalf takes Frodo into the boat leaving. Yeah, and you know, I lost a dog of hours. You know, I have had three one of them best away in April and my son Bo was with me when that happened, and you know, had to explain that he had to go away forever. You know and someone else had to go away forever. Since Bo's been around two, so he knows about going away forever. And it was the last scene in that movie. And he already knows Lord of the Rings, you know, he already knows the relationship Gandalf and Sam Wise, he knows all the relationships there. And he hadn't seen this because others are so violent or whatever. But this one was the last scene where they're saying goodbye and Frodo has to say goodbye. It's when Gandalf is hugging the other Hobbits and they realized they're not going to see him again. And Bo realized just without without them uttering like I'm going away forever, because they don't say it, but Bo could tell that he was really going away forever. He lost it, screaming. It was so heartbroken, you know, like collapsed, you know, we're on the bend. He kind of hunched over and he was just just really letting loose, and I just hugged him and I was like, are you sad, sweetie? Because Gandalf has to go away forever? And I said, don't worry, because he's going away with Frodo. Watch they're going together, and the elves are going together.
Speaker 2: Okay he was, okay, just putting him back in front of Peppa Pig. I know you know where you are with that, don't you?
Speaker 3: Moving on?
Speaker 2: So what are your sorry that's what are your interests outside of music? What your Do you have any hobbies?
Speaker 3: I used to I still would like to do that again. I really love like sketching and painting and writing, like on a typewriter, just like writing, writing whatever it is, story, truth, whatever, Turkish coffee, some cigarettes, closed door, open window. And I really missed doing that, and I miss I miss like you know, charcoals and painting and mixing colors and you know, back oning it on and painting it up and this sort of they're both very trancelike feelings. Usually, you know, I'll play whatever music, turning the record play or over and over and over. Your consciousness takes kind of like a timeless position. I feel like people that do that in their life, you know, people that also meditate. Perhaps when they do that, when they go when they set some sort of limitless bounds of an hour, three hours, I ain't got nothing to do today. I'll just do this for eight hours or twelve hours or twenty four hours or two hours or whatever it is. You really kind of enter into this part of your consciousness, subconsciousness that isn't related at the time. You're set free in this strange way.
Speaker 2: Do you find a similar thing when you're going Catok? That's funny because I know you're a big karaoke fan.
Speaker 3: Well, I love. The reason I'm a karaoke fan is because my whole life I grew up, you know, loving a bunch of music, a bunch of songs that as a little kid. And and when I discovered karaoke in ninety.
Speaker 2: Six, where did you use? Discover it?
Speaker 3: At this place that now you can't even go in. It's like frat kids stuff. It was this Korean place I met with Tim Foleyon because I just met Tim foley On at a show in New York that I opened up for Liz Fair or whatever. Anyway, I won't get into all this, but and we met for lunch and around the corner was this bar called Winnies, and it was Korean bar and they had karaoke. I just wanted to get a drink and went in and it was like all Korean, you know, very serious, you know, very serious, these people having a drink waiting for their turn to sing classic.
Speaker 2: Was it one of those situations where that's singing to an open room. Oh yeah, it's like it's not a booth.
Speaker 3: No no, no, no, no no. I hadn't been to one of those years after that, sure, but it informed me. I don't want to say professionalism, but the seriousness they were singing these traditional these extremely valuable. Their time was valuable with this this these songs. Yeah, and I was like, okay, cool. So I asked if they had an English menu, you know, for the songs, and that was my first time.
Speaker 2: Like, what did you sing?
Speaker 3: Otis read the same shit? I always sing the same shit, Patsy Cline, otis writing ANDK Williams, Willie Nelson, Billie Holliday, Nina Simone, and read the Franklin Johnny Cash, the same shit. I always been singing since I was a kid. So it's the same material. Well, when I was a kid, you know, my dad, I think it was five. I met my parents when I was around four and a half, so my grandma took me and then when I was born, but uh, being raised by her formative years, you know, she was a farmer, so we bought our food at the farmer's market. We didn't go to the grocery store. And in Georgia, and so a lot of our day or evening afternoon was spent like cleaning the vegetables, you know, cleaning the meat, cleaning the you know, the chicken. Not cleaning, but I'm saying, like preparing, preparing, cracking the beans, doing the whole thing. And so in that time we would she always sing, right, So whatever songs she would sing, I would learn through her singing.
Speaker 2: Sure, okay.
Speaker 3: So and then on Sundays, you know, or Wednesdays, whatever we to, we'd go to church. So I was always singing as a little kid with her. Also because the way I grown up, different different schools, different homes, different people. I was living with, different family members, different things. Always traveling around as a kid, very unsettled child life or whatever. Never you know, one place, it was always moving around. So a lot of times being the new kid. I changed my name when I was twelve because it was just easier for everybody, because Charlene is my name, but I changed it when I was twelve, took letters out to make it easier for people. But when I go to these new schools, you know around pubescent era area, like twelve eleven, twelve, thirteen eleven, twelve thirty fourteen. There was a physical education, so you were going to the gym, you had to take a shower. Some schools you had to take a shower. Some girls had bras, some didn't. And I didn't know anybody, and I was always the stranger, very poor, so I got made fun of because of my clothes and things like this. So I was internalized everything. So because I love to sing all the time, it's just what I love to do growing up, I would wait until all the girls were done. I'd hide in the bathroom and pretend I was peeing, and when I could hear their voices kind of leave. I did this in all the schools, and I'd wait until I could hear them all gone. And I would never shower, but I would just change out of my gym and I would sing alone. Because it's all in the old fifties and sixties schools in America, they'd never been rebuilt. The fancy white people's schools are like totally fancy, but all the public schools when the olden times are still there rotting away, but they were all tiled.
Speaker 2: So the reaver acoustics are amazing.
Speaker 3: Yes. So so for singing karaoke, it was like, oh, like it was like that. It was like going to the Yeah, there's other people there, but I didn't mind because everyone's there to sing there. They got their song, they put their their song in the box and they're going to go next. So this is my time and.
Speaker 2: The yeah, taking it so seriously.
Speaker 3: So this time the first time, yes, yeah, whereas now slowly slowly, Well, the funny thing is for the next two years, I started, you know, inviting different friends when I was touring them, inviting different friends to meet me at this place whennies to have karaoke part, you know, just to say hey. Because I had to be on tour all the time because my life changed. I was always touring, and it was always like different friends meeting, you know, some would come someone and wouldn't shop at different times. I'd arrive in New York back home. One friend took an idea to MTV because she'd always come, and she created MTV Karaoke Show with Michael Stipe and different people, and then it hit America and then America knew what karaoke was.
Speaker 2: So it's your fault. I know you've ruined karaoke.
Speaker 3: But then it was great because more karaoke spots like in these village started opening, and then there was one around the corner from my house. It was five bucks an hour in a private room.
Speaker 2: Yeah, do you prefer that? Do you prefer it to be in private?
Speaker 3: Well? This, well, I'd love to go back to Whinnies, but I can't. Like it's just like I said, filled with frat guys, singing guns and roses poison Neil Diamond. Just that's it and which is great, but no, I don't want to do that. And so around the corner from my house for my apartment, they opened up one in the basement of this place five dollars an hour. And I go for happy hours, so for two hours four to six. You could get four hours for two sessions, so timbug So yeah, I would go there.
Speaker 2: You go for a four hour session? Wow or not?
Speaker 3: Sometimes it doesn't matter.
Speaker 2: It's just cheap.
Speaker 3: It just got really cheap because at the bar, you have to pay for that for this drink, that drink, this drink, that drink. If you want to wait for your name to come up. So it's like a total blessing. And then I got taken to this place called Japus, which is a Japanese karaoke place on same works, closed down, had a camera, can only fit about maybe fifteen people in there, very really really good like Japanese food small. Oh my, what do you call it? Maybe maybe I got small Japanese foods but not sushi. Anyway, I got invited there life forever because you bring the buzzer. If they don't want you to come in, you don't come in. Ah, the camera the thing.
Speaker 2: Oh and so they kind of look at you on the cover and think this person looks.
Speaker 3: Like they can't sing.
Speaker 2: They sing this because a frat guy. This guy's only going to sing guns and roses.
Speaker 3: He's not in the interesting. I love that place.
Speaker 2: Do you always get in? They mustn't and they know you know, I guess so well.
Speaker 3: I also knew to go early on. I mean sometimes Fridays and Saturdays it'd be pretty packed. They'd let you in, but you never sing. You never get a chance to sing, right, But their selection of music was really great. They always had everything. Yeah, I love karaoke. Also, my dad started doing covers. I think I'm not sure if I was in junior high. I think I was in junior high at the Holiday Inn. It's a hotel chain in America, and he started doing covers as a job, singing covers as a job, and that's what he still.
Speaker 2: Does, because you do sing covers and you record covers and release them as well.
Speaker 3: Well. It used to be very normal, you know that that was the of the past. In the past, contemporaries covered each other's songs, whether it was there's where they wrote it or not. You know, even back from Gershwin, even standards and things, everybody always sang a tune the same tune. It was different people's take on that tune. That's gone. I think that when MTV hit, I think that the corporations understood the cash value of new song, new song, new hit, new hit. Yeah, and the tradition of you know, songwriting kind of diminished and it became hip maker USA, MTV.
Speaker 2: You know, sure, what was New York like back then? When you moved, you mad that.
Speaker 3: Around too, Yeah, So it was it was still still my same. I live in my same It's kind of like a squad. I still live in my same room that I've had since I'm twenty only forty seven in January. To give your perspective, So in the old days, I mean still that now. Yeah, I still have. Yeah, it's not my place. I've rented it from my roommate. He's been there since the seventies. Wow, so yeah, he Basically I would have been on the street if I hadn't met him, but hun with NYU students. The first time I moved up there with my friend from Tennessee, Lily Hawes, and I wasn't going to make it, and so thankfully he let me, let me, took me in, let me live in his spare bedroom. Anyway it was, I got chased, I got ran after several times, never being caught up to you. You know, there was always human feces on the sidewalk, a lot of street lights were out, potholes everywhere, Rats everywhere. Rats in my room. For about probably ten years, I lived with rats because you couldn't keep him out. Someone come up through the toilet, Someone coming through the bathroom literally coming through the bathroom tile like chew their way through the yeah, through the grout, old grout, make their way through bash through where.
Speaker 2: You could be sat in the toilet and suddenly they'd be like that.
Speaker 3: I never experienced the toilet. No no, no, no, no. You just knew that's where they were getting in because you like, well, there's a hole there, and then you'd notice like where the piping was. You'd see like, oh, the tile has been chewed off.
Speaker 2: Jesus.
Speaker 3: You had to get because our our flat, our apartment is above the boiler room, so it's really hot. So in the winter, they would, I guess, find themselves where it's warm. Right, it's freezing cold outside, so they would if they can't get in the boiler room, they're going to go through the through the walls to get into the building somehow.
Speaker 4: But anyway, what part of town is this east village?
Speaker 3: And it's a city. I think it's cool.
Speaker 2: I've been tough about city. There was an ice cream shop Alphabet Scoop, and.
Speaker 3: I've never called it that in my entire life. Alphabet called Lower east Side Village. I've never called it that before.
Speaker 2: Why is it? Why is it called Alphabet.
Speaker 3: Avenue a avenue?
Speaker 2: Oh yes, it's that bit got yeah, And because it started to clean.
Speaker 3: Up around Giuliani.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so that's like two Thynne.
Speaker 3: Yeah, ninety eight, Yeah, that's when he passed. Basically, my neighborhood when I was there was Dominicano, Dominican. And there still are, you know, families that have been able to stay in the neighborhood, like the car service De Lancey d Lancy, car Service d Lanci de Lancy, they're still there. But Avenue B. Clinton Street was the sung by Leonard Cohen, the music on Clinton's Yo through the evening. So the music was Dominicano. So if you lived in that neighborhood and you hear Leonard Cohen sing that lyric, it's magic because in the summer, you know, you know, you hear like this beautiful festive music all through the evening. You know, dudes on bicycles at the AM radio with the Dominicano whatever. Awesome. Just real family, family, family, family like Grandma's and grandpas born in these in these tenement houses, these buildings, you know. And then Juliana came in and basically few were affiliated with anyone who I guess had been incarcerated for possession or sale of drugs or whatever. They just did raids every night. There was like maybe a few raids. Yeah, they just started. You know, I don't know if they're planning. I don't know if they just basically just tried to get rid of an entire community of people. And it was brutal. There were there were these little boys that used to hang on the you know, and on the street, little little boys, and you know, as they got older, they got older, they got older. One of them, a few years ago, I ran into him. He was a waiter at a restaurant on Avenue B and I couldn't believe it, you know, and I asked about his other friend in jail, and then their other friend. I remember when because they were like five and six when I met them, or four four four six when I met them, and then you know, i'd seen them like ten, eleven, twelve. And I remember when the ten year old got shot by the cops in the back, like multiple times. Wasn't you know, he wasn't armed, he was just running. And that happened on my street. And that was right around that, Julia, that.
Speaker 2: Was probably ninety nine, and he was ten.
Speaker 3: He was ten nine or ten, I think he was ten, Okay, So when that's when you that's because you'd hear my friend's on Ludlow like, what it was doing was creating a lot of tension within the community in general, because you know when they're doing that, when they're putting pressure on these families, you know, you know, it's your family, and they're putting pressure on you to give a name or to rat someone out, you know, or to get more arrests made so that you can then pass the law for rent control to be abolished, right, which is what he did. Right.
Speaker 2: So, okay, you.
Speaker 3: Got to get rid of everybody first, round them up, and then the developers developers began to creep in. But first they had to start with infrastructure. They had to start with infrastructure first. So they did the lamp posts, the streets, you know, sewer, all this stuff. They had to make it, you know, developer friendly.
Speaker 2: Is he loved by New Yorkers or hated by New Yorkers?
Speaker 3: Now?
Speaker 2: Is he considered a hero or a villain?
Speaker 3: I think he's pretty much hand in hand with with those which do not deserve to be spoken name of. Yeah, he's pretty much.
Speaker 2: That's interesting. I didn't like that because we don't really overhear, We don't know that much about that, you know.
Speaker 3: We just like I was he became this like, you know, he was perfectly strategically inserted during the twin hours.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the Golden I won't even get into it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So what is that when you left New York? The first time when you went to Portland?
Speaker 3: Was that I went to Portland. No, that was when earlier. That was when I had just I left New York, took my my friend from Atlanta and sold me his Volkswagen bus. And he was living up in Brooklyn. It was actually a late friend of mine who had sold it to him. The drummer from Dirt, drummer from Seersucker, the drummer from Opa Fox Quartet. His name was Alan Page. Anyway, I had bought that Volkswagen bus because I was going to go I was going to go down to Tennessee to record what would the community think, and then go down and start my first tour of the West Coast. And then when I got to Portland, because I had a friend who was going to be their roommate, I was going to sell that butt, that Volkswagen bus, and I was going to have rent money so I could live, survive, and the bus. You know Peewe's big adventure that Dinosaur. Yeah, the right head gasket. Blue. Problems were happening around I'd say Louisiana's when the problems started happening. The oil eek happened in the bus. Made it to Peter Hermann's Dinosaur and there was a lady in an old Lincoln, like maybe eighty two Lincoln brown. She had all her shit in there. Little kid with all a you know, dirt on his face, she had a black eye. We're in a tank top. She was had her hands on the wheel and she was crying. And I said, look because somebody from LA came to pick me up.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 3: It took a while, and I said, look the titles in here, here's the keys. I'm sorry I got a run, but if you want to try to do something with that. And I should have done more for her, but I just had to go. But made it to my show at this whatever it's Silver Lake called the Baseland. That's her first show in LA. There's a picture on what the community think of me holding the beer the dance floor. That was either after I played or right before I played. I made it to the venue with my friend from France and Lore who's in her musical group is called Appalooza from Paris, and she was on that trip with me from New York. She said she could drive. What she meant was sure, I could drive, but she's never driven a car in her line. She's especially not a sick.
Speaker 2: She just figured I will be able to do that.
Speaker 3: I'll drive.
Speaker 2: I'll do it.
Speaker 3: Yeah right, I'll I can drive.
Speaker 2: Yeah that's different, isn't It says I can drive, rather.
Speaker 3: Than I do not know how. But she did not know how.
Speaker 2: I'll do that. I'll make you a sick.
Speaker 3: I can drive, yeah right. I can make you a suit.
Speaker 2: Yeah, make you a suit. Surely that's not the tone, but you're after. But it's amazing that you made it to the show.
Speaker 3: Yeah that was great. I made it the show, made it to Portland. That was the last show. And then, yeah, I didn't have any money, didn't have it, went on a million you know, job interview type things, didn't have great a tenth grade education. So that's why it was difficult in New York.
Speaker 2: Have you had any really bad jobs?
Speaker 3: Every job I've had have been That's why I don't understand people who just can't be bothered to work. I just I can't be bothered to hear that. Yeah, I just you know, I have always been doesn't matter if I'm cleaning houses or nanny or whatever I'm doing. I've always had moppy floors whatever it is that I've had to do, you know, without taking my clothes off. I I've been so like, you know, so thankful, you know, yeah, to take care of myself.
Speaker 2: Do you live in Miami now?
Speaker 3: I do. I moved there in two thousand and two, two thousand and two or two thousand.
Speaker 2: And three, okay, quite a while ago.
Speaker 3: Have my little room in New York, right, but I uh my best frien from high school in Atlanta, she moved to Miami to go to university. I moved to New York to get away from the Droit, the Heroin in Atlanta at the time. Little did I know, like the best place.
Speaker 2: You got you can get it there as well, exactly for.
Speaker 3: Like a tenth of the price and like full potency because I haven't been chopped up yet and sit down south. But little did I know that it like was even more gruesome in New York. But yeah, Miami, I left so I'd visit her all the time when she had her She has three kids, but her eldest is about to graduate college. So when the baby, when she was a baby, my goddaughter, I would go visit her Miami. And after years of visiting her Miami, I was like this, I should just move here, like cost good money to take take a flight home from tour or drive home from tour, and the sagavite in Miami when I just make a choice. And she turned out she wanted to sell her apartment.
Speaker 2: So what is Miami like. I've got two preconceptions. One is it's I've a full of retired people, but I might be with Florida.
Speaker 3: It was in general because of the tax situation, a lot of elderly moved to Florida. The difference between Miami and the rest of Florida is that Miami is completely one hundred percent like Manhattan after nuclear war. It's minimized in size and length.
Speaker 2: Okay, you got water on both.
Speaker 3: Sides, you know, like Manhattan Island. You know, you get every demographic, every nationality.
Speaker 2: So it's really liberal. It's like a really liberal place.
Speaker 3: Say liberal, okay, I'd say that it's you got a lot of like you know posts, you got a lot of post Cold War Cubans you know, turned Republican, you know Anti, you know, not into not into castor. You've got a lot of like so it's it's Miami's blue blue city, like you know, liberal, but you've got a lot of you know, Florida is like as red as they come. Like it's tricky.
Speaker 2: My other preconception about Florida always lies.
Speaker 3: Basically, I could put it to you that way, Like Bush never won either of those elections because Florida said they did. He did. Yes, Yeah, it's like lie life central.
Speaker 2: Right, Okay, is that that must be? Is that a weird place to live?
Speaker 3: Well, you think about all those retired people, people that retire, can retire, you know, they're part of a system. People that are ingrained in the system. You know, they tend to they want to keep that system together.
Speaker 2: Yeah, of course, you.
Speaker 3: Know, so they all live in that state, sorry, everywhere Arizona.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, my other, my other kind of thought when I think of Miami, it's the complete opposite and the quiet party town right.
Speaker 3: Well, that's that's the commercial aspect of if anywhere in Florida, Right, anywhere in Florida has the hotels, the palm trees, the beautiful beaches, the nature, the you know, all that stuff. So that's just part of like the package of Florida. But because Miami has maybe that so close to South America, you know, International Airport, You've got people from all over the place, I think that it has like this, it's not attached to the rest of America by if you go and I think maybe it's changed since I moved there, But I feel like if you go forty five minutes north, you know, you really leave South America. You leave you leave Manhattan. If you go north, like if you go to you know, Rochester, right, if you leave Manhattan, you you're back in America. You leave Manhattan, you're back in America. If you leave Miami, you're back in America. Right. So that's why I love Miami, because it's like Manhattan after nucleue War. It's like it's it's blasted out all the dirty Hudson and the you know, the river and the East River made it all clean. It's like this ocean, ocean negative you know, negative ions wind. You know, it's and it's subtropical. So you've got like in my apartment, in my conda, in the you know, the common area, there's mangoes growing on the tree, there's bananas growing on the tree, orchids growing like it's just birds of paradise growing all kinds of beautiful jasmine bugin villa. So it's really like a it has like a paradise. You know, you got the wildlife. You got the lizards and the the parakeets, those green parakeets, you got the egrids, all the wildlife, the manatee. Like every day you can see all this stuff. You're riding your bike on the on the boardwalk and around by the marina, you can see all this wildlife every day. Whereas the rest of floor you can too, and there's really beautiful parts. But it's the multicultural aspect that I feel most comfortable. And I don't feel comfortable when everybody is white. I feel uncomfortable.
Speaker 2: I feel exactly the same. Sorry, it's the thing with.
Speaker 3: Because you've got to that you know something, there's gonna be something wrong with me in five minutes of talking to these people.
Speaker 2: Yeah she's a weirdo. Yeah, you know, I feel that with being in London because I'm starting to get a bit beaten down by London the pace of it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, hurry, hurry, hurry. Yeah you got to hurry too, but you're on your bike and flip flops.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 3: Stressed out man in the whole foods. But it's just like she's hot. Yeah, you just really there's nothing to complain about there.
Speaker 2: But the problem is when you live in a big city, it's like, where would you move to?
Speaker 3: Hitting there? So it's getting worse and worse like it is everywhere. So where would I move? Like? I love? I love Africa in general. I've only been to the north in the south, but I love Australia in in outside of big cities. I love the nature. I love expansive nature, places that have like a sort of a dry or tropical climate. I love. I have no idea where i'd move.
Speaker 2: You've got a very good British accent.
Speaker 3: I do, thank you? Are you sure? Have I gone to Australia?
Speaker 2: I think you're You're going to Australia.
Speaker 4: Australia, but is it that I want to do that? There no no back from Australia going into London.
Speaker 2: So I'm saying in a British accent, raspberry ripple, why did you come up with that word? Of all words? That's a great word.
Speaker 3: Is a good one? Good word?
Speaker 4: Raspberry ripple, bloody, how oh my god, I love fly lovely in it darling.
Speaker 3: Oh. I heard an expression the other day. Let's go from Atlanta said see more meat on the end of a butcher's pencil.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, that's a British thing.
Speaker 3: Love.
Speaker 2: It was this guy, a British guy, who said.
Speaker 3: Excuse meat, you've seen more meat on a butcher's pencil. Yeah, it's right. Yeah, it's not saying in England. It's an English saying. It's an English saying. Does that mean someone's fat or skinny? It means skinny, right, yeah. Yeah. Basically say more meat on a butcher's pencil, on the tip of a butcher's or just on a butcher.
Speaker 2: On on the tip of it. It might be tip of it.
Speaker 4: Yeah it is, yeah, yeah, yeah, I loved it.
Speaker 3: It keeps calling. Do you hear her ringing the doorb Is that our time? Yeah? She's done it like four times.
Speaker 2: That does that mean you stop before we stop? I wanted to ask you, yeah, some very quick you're like thirteen questions. I've just literally only got twenty five more things. We used to a thing in the magazine, our magazine, which we don't do anymore. But it was cool. It was like a quick fire questionnaire, right I want to ask you a few questions off it. That's okay? Who would play you in a film of your life? Who would like to do that?
Speaker 3: Stelish Nobyl Julian Schnabel's daughter.
Speaker 2: Okay, Nope, we'll just move on. We've not got time for this.
Speaker 3: Or or the girl from One Food to Kill a marking Bird.
Speaker 2: If you could only eat one food for the rest of your life, what would it be?
Speaker 3: My gosh, oh man, that's that's a bummer.
Speaker 2: Yeah, ship, isn't it's a ship.
Speaker 3: I think of corn because you can make ship out of it, you know. I think of potatoes. You can make shit out of it. Bread you can make shit out of it. But you can't have anything else to eat.
Speaker 2: No, no, you've just got this one thing.
Speaker 3: Oh my gosh, my gosh, oh my gosh, give me one moment. I guess avocado, long time. I guess. I want to see that every for the rest of my life.
Speaker 2: It's very fashionable right now.
Speaker 3: I mean, well, thank goodness.
Speaker 2: Super Food the film you can quote the most.
Speaker 3: Of rais in Arizona.
Speaker 2: Okay, that's a good one.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I asked Matt de Marco that question.
Speaker 3: It was is funny. Yeah, sorry, Yeah, bring that taller hat. They got more Ning Candle. I love him so much. I'll be taking these huggies.
Speaker 2: Okay. What do you think is that people's biggest misconception about you? That's quite a serious one.
Speaker 3: Yeah, just that I'm crazy, That's like the biggest one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you think is crazy to me?
Speaker 3: Well, when I was younger and internalized a lot, and I think people who are shy did internalize a lot. You know.
Speaker 2: The problem is for a reason.
Speaker 3: For good reason, they've learned that they can't trust people. I think that there's a reason that, you know, my behavior didn't suit us, because most people have always been part of a clique or you know, a group of a neighborhood or a family unit. So they they they assure themselves with their type of behavior they hang out with.
Speaker 2: So and the problem is if you're especially if you're on your own, if you're shy, a lot of time people think that's considered rude. Some people think that mistake shyness for rude.
Speaker 3: Sometimes in America, you're a target, right, especially if you're a female musician by yourself.
Speaker 2: Okay, final one. The doorbell just rang again. Well it's your hidden talent?
Speaker 3: Which one.
Speaker 2: Have you got? Multiple?
Speaker 3: It used to be really good at like embroidery. You know what do you call it?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Like cross stitching, Yeah.
Speaker 3: Cross stitching and knitting and basketball. You can check out on Manhattan Video. There's a part where you'll see that I do alley oop from behind you know what, it goes in. But that was the second shot because the first one he didn't get so he did two shots of it. I got in both. But he still loved basketball. But I'm not very good anymore. After I had a baby. My body like is like it's I'm not connected together anymore. Okay, but uh, what's another talent? Hidden talent? I can imitate most anybody at.
Speaker 2: A lot of people great British accents.
Speaker 3: Well, if you if I have five more minutes or something, I can imitate you, even with like songs and stuff. Okay, it's not hidden from my friends, my friends. No, I can make really good meals out of leftovers. And you'll think that like it's from like a recipe. It's a good talent. And then what else, what else? What else? Oh my gosh, that's all hidden talent.
Speaker 2: That gonna kick the door and.
Speaker 3: Don't I would love to see that, all right, Thank you, thank you, goodbye guys.
Speaker 1: Midnight Chats is a loud and quiet podcast production by Emma Snook Music courtesy of gold Panda. Search Midnight Chats on iTunes for more episodes and to subscribe. For more information, visit loudan quiet dot com.