Speaker 1: Hello, and welcome my favorite murder. That's Georgia Hartstar, that's Karen Kilgaraff, and we're about to take you on an emotional journey of the Soul. I love that it just came out of the podcast Soul. It's located in your ears, in.
Speaker 2: Your ear drum, the long Dark tea time of the podcast Soule.
Speaker 3: Okay, you had something to shell me?
Speaker 4: Okay, Hi, okay, Hi, I got to do this.
Speaker 1: Oh well, the thing I was going to show you is so in episode five thirty three and Exercise and Frustration, I told a story that featured many many chin strap beards, right, and it was about Elizabeth Packard, who was the woman who was institutionalizab her husband sent her to an insane asylum and thenk she got out, fought for everybody's rights. But talking about her husband, it was this man, Theodopolis Packard. And you're truly the most proud of that one.
Speaker 4: It was pretty great.
Speaker 1: It's pretty great in the moment, but we were really enjoying his chin strap beard. They also came up in the Henderson Lewelling story where the Quaker sex cult story, though I recently told they've just been around.
Speaker 2: Us recently, you've been sprinkling some neck beard into these stories here and there.
Speaker 4: And the listeners have responded.
Speaker 3: Did we get chin strap hate mail?
Speaker 1: Yes, but no, it was essentially just people in the comments section talking about it, so basically. Jenny Scraham on Instagram says, it looks like John c Riley is dressed up and doing a bit, which is very true, dressed up, but just in the.
Speaker 4: Bottom half of the beer.
Speaker 1: Aaron Jalisa on Instagram says the chin strap beard was as bad as I imagine. Thank you? What in the hell's be says? How is this episode not called Beard's abound? Great question? Baseball Girl two forty seven says I needed to see that chin strap beard to really get that story. Yeah, it's terrifying. It's like, is that worse or a mullet worse? It's like an old timey mullet party in the front. I think this is worse though, because this makes no goddamn sense that.
Speaker 4: Chin is bear.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but they can eat soup, and I bet there was a lot of soup going around then, and Stew's and Stew's and porridges, which is so hard to do when.
Speaker 3: You have a beard.
Speaker 4: I've heard my husband says, I.
Speaker 1: Just love that people got into that as well. Yeah, so then it gave me this idea. Okay, when you gave me the assignment of watching the drama.
Speaker 3: Right, Oh no, are you're gonna make me grow a neck beard?
Speaker 4: Yes? And you have to do it in one week.
Speaker 1: I want to give you the assignment of you watch a movie called Witness, which has so many neckbirds in it you wouldn't believe it. Okay, and then we're going to talk about that movie.
Speaker 3: Which one is that?
Speaker 1: Hairs Ford Kelly McGillis Lucas Haas. Harrison Ford goes undercover in an Amish settlement.
Speaker 4: I don't know this.
Speaker 3: What do they call themselves?
Speaker 5: What?
Speaker 3: Here's it from?
Speaker 4: It's from like eighty nine.
Speaker 3: Okay, So Lucas Haas is a little boy.
Speaker 4: He's the best child actor.
Speaker 3: I had the biggest crush on him.
Speaker 1: He is so good legend. Yeah, he's so good in this movie, Like it's so real. Okay, I think you're going to really.
Speaker 2: Should I text Vince and see if I've already seen it and just totally forgot.
Speaker 1: But I feel like you if I said, Harrison Ford goes undercover with the Amish you would have gone, oh, yeah, I've seen that. I haven't seen it also, and that's very much tied to So Witness is your assignment just in honor of the chinz drop Beard got it. But then also after that we might do a Harrison Ford assignment of I must have you watch.
Speaker 2: The Fugitive, Right, My assignment for you is you've tanted to fake beard and try and eat some stew with it on.
Speaker 1: No, I'm like, wait, that's not a here's the thing. All you have to do is watch a movie.
Speaker 2: Okay, witness and I wrote nineteen eighty nine? Why did I don't need this? Was I?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 4: No, it's eighty five eighty five.
Speaker 3: I'm changing it so I don't watch the wrong one. Yeah, I don't watch the one from eighty eighty nine.
Speaker 2: Witnesses so dirty, dude, that is like a made for Cinemax.
Speaker 1: But I had a lot of fun watching the drama and then being like, I'm going to make up an opinion about this and we're going to discuss it on the fan call.
Speaker 3: I'll do it. Hell yeah, Okay, great, it's going to happen.
Speaker 4: It's a deal.
Speaker 2: I love assigning each other. It'scite to watch assignment signing each other as signments.
Speaker 1: I was provided some information just to convince you more. Witness has ninety two percent on Rotten Tomatoes.
Speaker 3: Oh that I'll watch it because you know how I live by the RT rating.
Speaker 4: You will only that's all I ever talked about, is this RT approved?
Speaker 1: Georgia's constantly say what did Artie say about this?
Speaker 4: Because I got to check into my RT.
Speaker 2: Speaking of rotten, we have a podcast network that's right called Exactly Right Media. Here are some highlights. Please listen to these other podcasts for us, Thank you.
Speaker 1: We have roughly sixteen incredible can picked by us chosen that's right, and then performed by some of the greats in the biz.
Speaker 3: That's right.
Speaker 1: A series of hit podcasts Yeah, can't be denied. For example, our most recent hit Disgraceland with Jake Brennan. That's here on the network. This week, Jake tells the classic true crime story behind Sonic Youth's album Goo. It has one of the coolest album covers of all time and the shocking murders that inspired the artwork.
Speaker 3: That is a rad story.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And then over on Ghosted, Roz celebrates Pride Month by featuring Queer creators all June long, including this week's guest, the one and only Tammy Brown.
Speaker 4: Doing it epic.
Speaker 1: Also not to be gross, but this is a reminder to join the fan Cult. You get access to all episodes of this podcast, my favorite murder ad free. You get merch store discounts on our merch you get exclusive video and audio content, and so much more.
Speaker 2: So stop complaining and go to fancult dot supercast dot com. Why am I yelling at them?
Speaker 4: It's fun. We get to we still get to yay, yay, You're you're off. You're on a three day weekend.
Speaker 3: Okay, So it's going to do a solo.
Speaker 4: It's my solo story. I saw a TikTok.
Speaker 1: I need a T shirt that said I saw TikTok I do because it's all I say and kind of all I do. But it's great because, as we all know, we're getting into an era where experts are finally speaking and getting up on camera and getting on mic and being like, hey, you don't have to be I don't know, Sidney Sweeney to get here and perform and speak publicly. It's not that big of a deal.
Speaker 3: You're going to talk about peptides.
Speaker 4: Oh, I will because I'm the expert at peptide.
Speaker 1: Okay, the copper peptides are what you want these share just found out about that. But it's basically like there's more and more people come forward to talk about stuff. So I find that on TikTok, I'm finding so many more people who are the source of the information. The researchers themselves, the authors themselves, the educative journalist exactly, all those people that are now the ones telling the story, which I love. So I don't know if this person is any of those things, but they're the reason that I learned about this story I'm about to tell you, and they inspired me to want to tell the story as well.
Speaker 3: Love it.
Speaker 1: So it's a TikTok from a woman named Mary Kate Teski.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 1: So that's her name on TikTok if you want to go follow her. This is how I first found out about this story.
Speaker 5: Okay.
Speaker 1: So, if you are listening to this the day this episode comes out, which is June twenty fifth, twenty twenty six, Hi, your first day of listener, I want you to know today's one hundred and fiftieth anniversary of one of the most infamous battles in American history. The Battle of Little Bighorn, also known as Custer's Last Stand Okay, On this day in eighteen seventy six, Lieutenant Colonel George Armstrong Custer and his men were wiped out by Lakota, Northern Cheyenne, and Arapahoe warriors who are under the command of legendary Native leaders like Crazy Horse and Sitting Bowl. Of course, the history lesson we got about this battle presents Custer as some kind of noble martyr to our expanding nation and completely ignores the Native American experience and perspective and version of the story. But that changed around two thousand and five when Montana's tribal colleges began to spearhead a push to preserve the state's native histories and storytelling. And so they gather a group of Northern Cheyenne storytellers in Billings, Montana, so that they can share their oral history of the Battle of Little Bighorn, which the Cheyenne and other Plains tribes actually called the Battle of the Greasy Grass. So from many people outside the Cheyenne community they will be hearing for the first time that day the truth about what happened, and what those storytellers in Billings describe ends up capturing headlines across the country because for the first time we hear about the Cheyenne warrior responsible for customs death. So today, in honor of the one hundred and fiftieth anniversary, I'm going to tell you the story of that warrior. Her name is Buffalo Calf Road Woman.
Speaker 4: That's right.
Speaker 1: Our sources for today's story are articles from the Independent Record and the Billings Gazette archives and the work of writers Rosemary and Joseph Aganito, and the rest of the sources are in our show notes. Okay, so everything in this is going to be very condensed and very like our version of things. Yeah, this is the Karen Georgia Wikipedia version of things called my favorite Murder, no Offense, Maaron mclash and my brilliant researcher.
Speaker 4: But to tell stories like this, it's like I.
Speaker 1: Will assume people know as little as I do about American history, about Native American history, about all these things that are really important that I just feel fully uneducated about. So by the eighteen hundreds, in America, the Cheyenne are a powerful nation spread across the Great Plains with a population in the thousands. They are a vibrant, horse centric culture with a highly organized military system. And while Cheyenne warrior culture is largely associated with men, gender norms are not cut and dried with this tribe. Author's Rosemary and Joseph and Gando write about the Cheyenne quote. We have numerous accounts of women taking up weapons and risking their lives when attacked. Women were adept at using a variety of weapons, including the gun end quote. So by the eighteen forties, what's going on in the United States is that we are aggressively expanding under the banner of manifest destiny, which is basically the belief that white Americans are ordained by God to spread across the North American continent and to take whatever they want. Essentially, so, while the Cheyenne have long had to defend themselves against rival tribes, the defense is now needed to fight the encroachment of white settlers and the army. So as tensions ramp up, some Chyan leaders seek peace with the United States. At this point, the Chyenne nation is broadly divided into Northern and Southern Cheyenne, so Buffalo Calf Road woman is born into the Northern Cheyenne tribe in what is now Montana. Her birth year is believed to be eighteen forty four. But unfortunately we have almost no personal details about Buffalo Calf Road Woman or her life because Cheyenne oral history is heavily disrupted by forced assimilation onto reservations and into places like Native American boarding schools, which that story also needs to be told, And I have been trying to work out a story about that. Marin and I have for literally years to get it told correctly concisely. It's so expansive, it's so horrific, and it's colonization. It's basically, how do you tell the story of colonization in this country? So what we do know about the life of Buffalo Calf Road Woman is that her childhood is shaped by an ever escalating tension with these white pioneers in the US military. In eighteen fifty one, when she's about seven years old, the Treaty of Fort Laramie is signed in Wyoming, so it formally recognizes a large stretch of the Great Plains as belonging to seven different tribes that include the Cheyenne. But just a few years after that signing, in eighteen fifty eight, gold is discovered in the Rocky Mountains of Colorado, and so white miners flood the area in what's now remembered as the Pike's Peak Gold Rush. So, even though this is supposed to be a protected land, the United States does nothing to stop them. Then, in eighteen sixty one, the betrayal multiplies when the US signs a new treaty that shrinks Cheyenne territory down to a thirteenth roughly a thirteenth of its previous size, so that it can open more land to white settlement and mining operations. Many Cheyenne simply refuse to comply, continuing to hunt and live on land that is now suddenly declared off limits to them, even though they have lived there for literally thousands of years. Buffalo Calf Road woman is around fifteen years old when all of this starts taking place. She's coming of age as this violence begins to intensify across the plains, and, as writer Catherine S. Gardner puts it, quote, she never experienced the Chyenne life of her elders. From birth until her death, her tribe and culture were continuously under threat of extermination, and it's kind of fascinating because she has and it'll come up a little bit later, but she has a brother, and imagining the life of a young woman who absolutely had to know how to fight, absolutely had to be good at it, and in their culture, which is a militaristic culture, that was a big thing for the Chyenne. I just can't imagine that she didn't absolutely go get right into the training and the fray and everything else. She's a teenager watching her people being massacre. So, in start contrast to Buffalo calf Road Woman's story and the fact that we barely know anything about it, we know a lot about the early life of George Armstrong Custer. He was born in Ohio in eighteen thirty nine, just a few years before Buffalo calf Road Woman was born. Custer is largely raised in Michigan. He develops an early knack for getting into trouble. He does very badly in school. He graduates last in his class at West Point in eighteen sixty one.
Speaker 5: Last.
Speaker 3: It's kind of impressive.
Speaker 1: It's fucking nut so that he's one of the most famous like military entities at this time and he was the worst student in his class in eighteen sixty one, he had an unbelievable seven hundred and twenty six demerits Jesus, which I guess is like, you're in trouble. It happened that many times. But the Civil War starts the same year that he graduates, so the US Army is desperate to fill ranks, and Custer quickly becomes an officer.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: But his blatant disobedience is what helps him arguably rise so quickly.
Speaker 4: Through the ranks.
Speaker 1: He shoots up the chain of command while in his early twenties and becomes the subject of glowing Union newspaper coverage, earning him the nickname the Boy General, and some of that reputation is earned. Custer is known for charging straight into battle and relentlessly pushing his men while they're under fire, with he himself often writing in the front of the cavalry instead of the back. He is seemingly unfazed by the threat of death. Any of that sound familiar to a certain personality type that.
Speaker 4: You've heard of over the years.
Speaker 1: Narcissists, sociopath socupath Right, Yep, he's just like no rules apply to me. Yeah, I do what I want. Yeah, And Oh, it's something horribly dangerous. Let's all go over there, let's do it. But he's also very smart, and he's keenly aware of the power of self mythology, so his public image is very calculated. Time Magazine points out quote Custer ghost wrote newspaper dispatches in which he pretended to be a correspondent and inflated his own roles in battles and military exploits.
Speaker 4: Wow.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's like he left comments in his own section. Yeah, like, I love this.
Speaker 4: He's so brave, what a great leader. He's also very flashy.
Speaker 1: He perfumes his flowing blonde hair with cinnamon oil, and he wears a custom blue velveteen jacket and a wide brimmed hat and a bright red tie into battle. None of those are standard issue. That was Whim's the call his costume. Custer clearly wants to stand out.
Speaker 4: It works.
Speaker 1: He's famous before the war is through. So meanwhile, the situation on the plains between the Chyenne and the United States remains volatile. In November of eighteen sixty four, these tensions boil over in a horrific way when an Army colonel named John Shivington approaches a Cheyenne and a rapa Hoe camp at Sand Creek in eastern Colorado. There's about seven hundred people at this camp and it's led by Southern Cheyenne Chief Black Kettle, who's repeatedly sought peace with the United States. So this is one of the many tribal leaders of the Native people who constantly were like, yeah, we let's agree that, you know, let's do this. Let's divide up this land. There's plenty of it. We've been here a long time, and every single time it'd be like, sure, sure, here's.
Speaker 4: Some pox filled blankets.
Speaker 3: Massacre.
Speaker 1: Yeah, to the point where at this camp there's a white flag and an American flag flying. But Colorado's then Governor John Evans does not seem to care. He wants to chyend removed from this area. So Shivington and some seven hundred volunteer soldiers attack the camp and they kill around one hundred and fifty people, and most of them are women and children. The survivors are traumatized by memories of their loved ones being mutilated in front of them. News of the massacre spreads quickly across the plains, provoking fear, despair, and the end of whatever hope was left that the US could be trusted by the Cheyenne and the Native people, and even some white Americans are outraged at the time, and Shivington ends up resigning in disgrace. Still, neither he nor any of his men are criminally prosecuted for the massacre at Sand Creek. Now it's eighteen sixty five, the Confederacy has been defeated. The Civil War comes to an end, so a now twenty five year old Custer is sent to the frontier. He swaps his blue velveteen for buckskins, which again are not standard issue. So he's got his new costume, his new personality, and his next assignment is to help force the planes tribes onto US designated reservations. These are very difficult campaigns for the United States. They are usually very much outmatched by the Native warriors. Meanwhile, in eighteen sixty seven, Custard ditches his post to visit his wife in Kansas, which results in a court martial, his suspension from rank, and the loss of his paycheck for a year. Despite his insubordination, though the US Army is convinced that they need someone as aggress of his Custer to fight against these resisting planes tribes, so less than a year after being court martialed, he's reinstated, and the newspapers refer to it as quote Custer's luck. The system is beyond rigged. So the next year, in eighteen sixty eight, the now twenty nine year old Custer is brought to Black Kettle's village, now sitting on the Washida River in modern Oklahoma. Four years after the Sand Creek massacre. Black Kettle is still trying to broke her peace with the United States, but the US military increasingly classifies any Native communities living outside the reservations to be quote hostile adversaries. So Custer's men carry out another brutal attack. They killed dozens of Native people, including Black Kettle himself. They killed the chief, hundreds of horses are slaughtered, and lodges are burned to the ground. The news of these attacks again spread rapidly across the plains, and again even among white settlers. The brutality and violence of this attack instantly makes Custer a controversial leader, but it also cements him as one of the United states most well known so called quote unquote Indian fighters. Around the same time, in eighteen sixty eight, a second Treaty of Fort Laramie is signed. The treaties have the same name because they're signed at Fort Laramie at both times. But this treaty establishes the Great Sioux Reservation and recognizes the Black Hills in the Dakota Territory as belonging to the Lakota. But the same situation plays out here like it did before. In eighteen seventy four, gold is discovered in the Black Hills, white miners come flooding in. The US Army, for its part, sends Custer to investigate the reports of gold. He confirms them, and then that leads the US government to try to purchase the Black Hills back from the Lakota. Can imagine the Lakota say no, which begins to fuel tensions with the US, but then strengthens resistance among the plains tribes. So it's the Lakota, the Arapaho, and the Chyenne. So the US seizes the Black Hills from the Lakota in eighteen seventy seven, and just fyi. A century later in nineteen eighty, the Supreme Court rules this seizure was unjust and they awarded the Sioux Nation monetary compensation, but the Sioux Nation refused to take the money, insisting they just want the land back.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 1: The fight to return this land continues to this day. It's believed that land is now worth more than a billion dollars. By eighteen seventy six, the conflict between the United States Army and a coalition of Northern Cheyenne, Arapahoe, and Lakota warriors has boiled over into the Great Sioux War. Buffalo calf Road Woman is now in her early thirties and she's living in the Rosebud Valley of Montana along Rosebud Creek with Lakota and to Rapahoe allies. And here in June of eighteen seventy six, a US general named George Crook arrives outside of her camp with thirteen hundred of his men, and the Native coalition fights them in a battle that lasts several hours. According to a tribal oral tradition, Buffalo Calf Road Woman's brother, a warrior named comes in Sight, is among the thousands of Native men who charge the US soldiers. But during the fighting, Comes in Sight is knocked off his horse and he gets trapped under fire. So Essentially, in these battles, if you get knocked off your horse, it's basically you're dead because someone just comes by and shoots you. So he's on the ground. His death is all but insured until his sister, Buffalo Calf Road Woman, jumps onto her horse and charges directly into battle. She rides so fast no bullets can strike her, and per the oral account, she pulls her brother up onto her horse, and she gets him to safety Jesus in the middle of a full on war. In the end, the Native coalition forces the US troops to retreat. Today, United States history remembers this event as the Battle of the Rosebud, but the Cheyenne remember it as the fight where the girl saved her brother. Wow, Buffalo Calf Road Woman is believed to be the only female warrior who rides into this battle. So this Native victory is extremely important because just eight days later, Custer arrives at another encampment belonging to the same Native coalition, but this time they're in the Little Bighorn Valley in southeastern Montana, and this time, crucially, Custer does not have the amount of troops like reinforcements that General Crook had.
Speaker 4: They have all retreated after the loss at.
Speaker 1: The Battle of the Rosebud, at the fight where the girl saved her brother. But on top of that, Custer badly underestimates the size of the coalition that he is about to attack, and probably the talent of it. So on June twenty fifth, eighteen seventy six, Custer and around six hundred soldiers arrived near the Little Big Horn encampment. His forces are split into several battalions intended to attack the camp from different directions. Custer himself heads north with about two hundred men. But what they don't know is that word of this impending attack is sprending quickly among the tribes. They know it, they have looked at they know how to use this land and protect their camps, and so immediately they know that it's happening, And thousands of warriors rise up and ride into battle, many of the same who had just.
Speaker 4: Fought the Battle of the Rosebud days earlier.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: The Battle of Little Bighorn is hard fast and totally chaotic. One US battalion attacks, only to immediately retreat after realizing how incredibly outnumbered they are. Then a second battalion retreats and so Custer looks around. All his men are leaving, but he makes himself and his two hundred men push forward anyway, and they are completely overwhelmed. In less than an hour, every single soldier riding with Custer is killed, including Custer himself.
Speaker 3: Holy shit.
Speaker 1: And because there's no survivors who can report back to the army officially what happened, or to newspaper reporters, the historical record around Custer's last moments are very murky, which of course then sets the stage for the folk hero treatment that he ends up getting. What we do know is that Custer's body is found among dozens of his men with two bullet wounds, one is in his heart and the others in his head. It's not until two thousand and five in Billings, Montana, when those Northern Chyenn storytellers finally share their oral history of Little Bighorn, that we learn what really happened. They say that Colonel Custer was shot to death on the ground because he got knocked off his horse by a warrior's club, And that day they reveal that the same woman who say her brother from certain death in the battle days before is the one who knocked Custer off his horse. It's Buffalo calf Road woman.
Speaker 3: Oh my god.
Speaker 1: And the oral accounts describe her as being quote out in the open during this intense battle. Wasn't like she was off to the side or whatever. She was in the fray. And they also confirmed that quote she stayed on her horse the entire time.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 1: So the Battle of Little Bighorn is arguably the most famous Native victory of the Plains Wars and one of the most infamous defeats in the US Army's history. The Northern Cheyenne say that's the reason they kept the story of Buffalo calf Road Woman a secret for so long. They were afraid that when the Army heard that a Cheyenne woman is basically the one who got Custer or killed, it would result in even harsher assaults by the Army on their tribes. Yeah, the US still seeks retribution for the defeat, and Buffalo calf Road Woman, like many Cheyenne, remain under constant pressure from the military to submit to US authority or be killed. In eighteen seventy seven, she and her family will be forced onto an Oklahoma reservation. She spends about a year there and during brutal living conditions, and it's belief there she gives birth to her second child. Not long after, in eighteen seventy eight, she and her family join what's known as the Northern Cheyenne Exodus, which was a desperate, defiant, and ultimately successful push led by the Northern Cheyenne chiefs Morning Star and Little Wolf to leave the reservation and return to its Montana homeland. So Buffalo calf Road Woman is one of the three hundred women, men, and children who escape the Oklahoma reservation. They set out on a dangerous, exhausting journey, spanning hundreds of miles. Along the way, members of the group are captured by American troops or they're killed in skirmishes. Others die of exhaustion or of illness, and Buffalo Calfe Road Woman is among those. She dies in eighteen seventy nine in her mid thirties, likely of dip theory, We're not sure. She's believed to be buried somewhere near present day Miles City, Montana, but her grave has never been identified. It's unclear how many members of this group ultimately made it to Montana. Sources suggest it's less than half the original number, so around one hundred and fifty people. But this exodus puts enough political pressure on the US government that the Northern Cheyenne who do make it to Montana are not forced back to Oklahoma. This is how the Northern Cheyenne Indian Reservation in southeastern Montana is established in eighteen eighty four. And of course, in death, General Custer and Buffalo calf Road Woman could not have been treated more differently. Custer is the subject of countless history books, biographies, paintings, photographs, yet there isn't a single confirmed portrait of Buffalo calf Read Woman to be found, and most of the images that you see online of her use either misidentified photos of other Native women or slop ai where it's just slop ai. So in February twenty twenty six, the Trump administration issues an executive order calling for a review of signs and exhibits at national parks and monuments that could be seen as critical of the US government. That includes signage at the site of the Battle of Little Bighorn. The Washington Post reported earlier this year that quote at Little Bighorn Battlefield National Monument in Montana exhibit text that described the United States being quote hungry for golden land and breaking promises to Native Americans was ordered changed or removed.
Speaker 3: Just fucking rewrite history. Why don't check.
Speaker 1: An erase it worked before? Another text describing how US run boarding schools for Indigenous children violently erased cultural identities and language was also deemed not to comply with Trump's policy.
Speaker 2: If the facts don't comply with your policy, your fullling was wrong with their fucking policy.
Speaker 1: I guess okay, it's not an option. No, it's not a choice to say it didn't happen.
Speaker 3: Well, not for fucking people who aren't psychotic.
Speaker 1: So the Northern Chayan leadership is actively opposing this administration's efforts. Tribal leaders issued a press release this past February saying, quote, this attempt to change or remove tribal markers and monuments dims the light of the healing and progress we have all made end quote, which is a very generous thing to say in the light of Native American progress and how little any government has ever given them or made for them, and you're trying to take that away. And then but that goes too. While there's never been a monument for Buffalo Calf Road, woman. She has always been memorialized by her people, who have carried the story of her courage, her strength, and her valor in two bloody battles for more than a century. When telling Buffalo Calf Road Woman's story, a Northern Cheyenne saying is often shared, and it says, quote, a nation is not conquered until the hearts of its women are on the ground.
Speaker 4: Then it is done, no.
Speaker 1: Matter how brave its warriors or how strong its weapons. Buffalo Calf Road Woman's heart was never on the ground. She stayed on her horse the whole time. And that's what we're gonna do.
Speaker 3: Hell yeah, that's what we're going to do tonight.
Speaker 4: We ride. Today, we ride.
Speaker 1: And that's the story of the Cheyenne warrior, the one who defeated Custer.
Speaker 4: Buffalo Calf Road Woman.
Speaker 2: Wow, I wish we could have the actual historical story because but it's even more badass, and there's even more fucking incredible things she did.
Speaker 3: But like and other women and like her tribe that we just don't know about.
Speaker 1: And in thinking about that, how many stories have been lost of people just like her because of the annihilation of the genocide of the Native American people in this country. It is the gigantic tragedy, the effects of which continue to this day.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, well, great job.
Speaker 5: I had never heard that.
Speaker 3: I'm so glad I did.
Speaker 4: Right, me too.
Speaker 1: I wish we could know more. Do you want to make a donation? Definitely, Let's donate to the Native American Rights Fund. Here's their quote about themselves. They hold governments accountable. They fight to protect Native American rights, resources and life ways through litigation, legal advocacy, and legal expertise. Hell yeah, so we'll give them ten thousand dollars. If you want to donate to the Native American Rights Fund, go to NARF dot org and give them what you can give them.
Speaker 3: Amazing. Well, great job, thank you, excellent solo episode.
Speaker 6: Thank you.
Speaker 2: Right yeah, let's do another batch of honking horays, brought to you by Henday.
Speaker 5: Thanks Hendaynday.
Speaker 6: This one it's from Brittany A and she wrote a fan cult.
Speaker 1: It says, my ninety seven year old cowboy grandpa and long standing conservative Mormon aunt told me they didn't vote for the current administration because of my wife and myself we are married females of ten years.
Speaker 6: And then in.
Speaker 1: Parentheses, it says that's a hoorrayal on its own. Man, they understand that their vote would go against my marriage and they didn't want any part of that. Hearing this made me feel cared for and heard for the first time ever on this side of the family. Keep having the hard conversations because sometimes they'll listen.
Speaker 6: And it's Pride month, so the things can happen.
Speaker 5: I'm gonna cry.
Speaker 3: I know, it's so beautiful.
Speaker 5: Okay.
Speaker 2: This one is from Sierra Bohnenberger. Don't know what that is.
Speaker 6: That's an online name on Instagram.
Speaker 2: Today, I actually got off work early enough to make happy Hour at our local wine bar.
Speaker 5: Oh hashtag tgif.
Speaker 6: I hope she went to TJA that's her local one. She gets the best wine at tgif.
Speaker 5: They have a Josh cellar it is.
Speaker 6: It's all yellow top to tail yellow. I get four cubes of ice and it shouted doctor Pepper. Well, I mean like happy hour, happy hours.
Speaker 5: There's nothing like it.
Speaker 6: What a reward.
Speaker 5: If you're at happy hour your life is going well.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and don't forget you don't have to drink a happy hour you can eat their weird or dirt.
Speaker 5: Totally get those happy hour sliders.
Speaker 1: Get in there. It's very similar. But on the other end of the spectrum. This is from Eat Shoots and travels over on Instagram, and they say I paid off my mortgage, Oh my god at forty three by myself.
Speaker 6: I'm not rich.
Speaker 1: I just saved really hard, literal tears at the bank. I love that. Can you imagine You're just like standing in the bank like it doesn't matter to you. People don't know what this is, but I am absolutely getting myself.
Speaker 5: To a brand new place.
Speaker 2: This is a life changing experience and I'm going to cry in front of strangers.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you better cry at forty three food incredible.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 5: This is from Taylor on her email.
Speaker 2: My hooray is that my friend and I signed up up for water aerobics.
Speaker 5: Yes as three two year olds, Yes, and we love it.
Speaker 2: I love the water and was frustrated by the lack of swimming in adulthood.
Speaker 3: That's so true.
Speaker 6: Yeah, there's not enough.
Speaker 2: I dive in every class and the older ladies are always shocked and slightly offended. But they're sweet and have added me to their swim sister's email chain.
Speaker 6: Oh my god, so much shit has talked on an email chain.
Speaker 1: Betty you're not going to believe you should have seen the way she looked in her three piece suit.
Speaker 5: We talk about books.
Speaker 2: We were nervous to go her friend and her but it's now a big highlight of my week and actually a decent no impact workout.
Speaker 6: Yes, it's water hell yeah.
Speaker 2: Plus I had an excuse to buy bright yellow shower sandals with carrots and bunnies on them in Chinatown.
Speaker 1: That is such a good pastime, kind of like way to fill your time. Yeah, because it's very social, you know, shoulders and head above water almost the whole time.
Speaker 5: It's not going to get sucked up chat chat chat.
Speaker 3: I really love an alt workout routine is my favorite thing.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I'm not going to do it right, I love it knowing about them.
Speaker 6: I'm not going to do any of it. But I love a pool.
Speaker 3: Loveapool, love a pool.
Speaker 1: This is a FASTI because it's Megan writing in from fan Culton, saying, this morning, I flipped the eggs without bursting the yolks.
Speaker 6: I finally found the perfect oil.
Speaker 5: To heat ratio.
Speaker 1: I'm not gonna tell us no, no, totally gatekeeping that, but just letting the world know that Megan t had her egg victory this morning.
Speaker 2: Congratulations, Congratulations, I've never done it well. Thank you to Hundai for presenting these honking arrays, and thank you guys for writing them in. Please write them in more and we'll read them.
Speaker 3: That's right.
Speaker 6: And also stay sexy, don't get murdered.
Speaker 4: Goodbye, Elvis.
Speaker 3: Do you want a cookie?
Speaker 4: This has been an exactly right production.
Speaker 2: Our senior producer is Molly Smith and our associate producer is Tessa Hughes.
Speaker 4: Our editor is Aristotle Lascevedo.
Speaker 3: This episode was mixed by Leona Squalacci.
Speaker 4: Our researchers are Mayor McGlashan and Ali Elkin.
Speaker 2: Email your hometowns to My Favorite Murder at gmail dot.
Speaker 4: Com and follow the show on Instagram at My Favorite Murder.
Speaker 2: Listen to My Favorite Murder on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts or wherever you get your podcasts.
Speaker 4: And now you can watch My Favorite Murder on Netflix.
Speaker 3: And when you're there, hit the double thumbs up and the remind me buttons. That's the best way you can support our show.
Speaker 4: Goodbye,