Speaker 1: Ruby.
Speaker 2: There's nothing wrong about applying for benefits. You pay into them during your employment. You need to get them if you need them. That's what it's there for. A lot of people need to just like set their pride aside and get your unemployment benefits if you're eligible.
Speaker 3: So let's say your boss schedules a mysterious quick check in for four point thirty on a Friday.
Speaker 4: Immediate stomach drop. No, nobody has ever heard quick check in and thought, oh good, probably a surprise raise I was hoping for, Not even once.
Speaker 3: It usually means a layoff, and right now layoffs are hitting a lot of industries, so the chances are someone you know who's gone through it recently raises hand.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: And sometimes it's not even a quick check in with your manager you find out via email. Quite rude, rude, very rude. Which is why today we're talking about what to actually do if you get laid off, like the practical stuff that nobody explains in the moment because your brain is too swirly to think straight.
Speaker 3: You're thinking severance unemployment health insurance LinkedIn updates, whether or not you should panic pivot to a new career.
Speaker 4: Maybe, and how to handle the emotional side without immediately spiraling into well, I guess it's seventy cent ramen for me from now on.
Speaker 3: And honestly, getting laid off can feel deeply personal, even when it's through no fault of your own.
Speaker 4: Welcome back to grown Up Stuff, the podcast where we figure out all the things you feel like you should know by now but maybe don't because I know I don't. I'm Leah Palmery.
Speaker 1: And I'm Matt Stillow.
Speaker 3: So Today the grown up Guide to layoffs, What to do first, what not to do, and how to make a plan when your life suddenly gets very weird. Our guest today is Page Sparks from Sparks Legal, an employment lawyer who litigates cases for employees.
Speaker 4: But first, a quick disclaimer before we get started.
Speaker 2: I just want to say these are all just my thoughts, and these are general questions we're answering. If you do you have specific legal situation that you want legal advice on, definitely check with the lawyer in your state.
Speaker 5: I love it.
Speaker 1: I could have set it better myself. Well so.
Speaker 3: The Bureau of Labor Statistics says somewhere between fourteen and twenty million people in the US get laid off or let go every single year. And that number isn't just the massive corporate layoffs you see in the headlines. It includes everything from seasonal jobs ending, to companies downsizing, to individual employees getting fired.
Speaker 1: Basically, this is way.
Speaker 3: More common than most of us realize until, of course it happens to us.
Speaker 4: Once you are laid off from a job, your head is very swirly and there's a lot going on, and you just have to put one foot in front.
Speaker 1: Of the other.
Speaker 4: So what should you absolutely not do in the first forty eight hours after being laid off? And that's both financially and emotionally great question.
Speaker 2: So the first thing you should not do if you get noticed that you're being laid off is do not panic. This is not a scarlet letter on you. This is actually quite common and the worst thing you can do to yourself is panic and spiral from there. Instead, a process you can start in is like review the paperwork.
Speaker 5: They gave you.
Speaker 2: Did they give you Cobra paperwork? Are you going to opt into that? There's no need to panic. I know it's easier said than done when you are in that situation, but it's really a common thing and it can be a lot less scarier than people think.
Speaker 4: Okay, COBRA paperwork. So that has to do with health insurance coverage, right, Can you explain that a little bit more so.
Speaker 2: Cobra is basically, if you get notified to your employments ending what do they call it a qualifying event. So if the certain events happen, they have to give you COBRA notice and so using layoff as the example, they have to give you the COBRA notice within a certain amount of time. And it's basically a higher premium you're paying to get your health insurance continued out. It can be up to eighteen months. I've seen it a little bit less. It's going to be depending on what you agree to. You have to opt into it. But in order to opt in, it's the employer's burden. It's their obligation. They have to provide you all the information and the COBRA paperwork on what to do, the timelines, the deadlines, and when to opt in, and like the actual dollar amounts. Now, a lot of these mom and pop places aren't doing this lately. Yeah, and so there can be penalties. By the day they could have like one hundred dollars fine per day if this is an issue, and reimbursement for costs if you have a lapse in coverage and you're required to pay something out of pocket or you have bills.
Speaker 4: Are there deadlines that people should be aware of when it comes to continuing benefits.
Speaker 2: So if you want to continue your benefits through Cobra, you do have usually sixty days to opt in through that paperwork if you want to extend the benefits. Now, sometimes we see the employer doesn't provide the paper work in time, so you can continue it from the date you're finally giving it.
Speaker 3: I didn't even know what it was, so like, I just think it's an important thing for people that know that if you do get laid off, there is a path to continue your healthcare, not only for you but for your family. It's a little bit of a difficult process to navigate, but it is there.
Speaker 4: Yeah, no wonder why it's named after a snake because it's very slippery.
Speaker 5: True and very scary.
Speaker 2: But yeah, yes, but actually they should be more afraid of you with the Cobra if they mess up to Obra.
Speaker 5: But yeah, that is a good name for it.
Speaker 2: It's a scary situation and it's expensive, so you don't have to do the COBRA. You could look at marketplace options or other options because it is expensive, but it's better for some individuals to do that instead of not having coverage and then you have all these medical debt out of pocket.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and you may need to change your provider depending on what's available in the marketplace or what you can afford, and so yeah, to be able to stick with the.
Speaker 1: Same insurance can be super helpful.
Speaker 3: So that said, I think a lot of people feel like they don't have any sort of rights. So what is important for people to know? What rights do they have when they're laid off.
Speaker 2: One of the rights you have if your employer's eligible is getting COBRA for an example. Your rights don't just disappear when you're laid off. Still have employment rights as an employee. You just have maybe what we would view as less compared to the employer. Especially most states are at will employment. That means you can be fired or laid off anytime for any reason, as long as it's not an illegal reason. An example we want to look out for is when we're looking at even mass layoffs, is that they're not selecting everyone with FMLA, and so your rights don't disappear just because you get noticed you're getting laid off. It's just there is a process you have to follow. But if you have engaged in any protected activity like reporting discrimination, retaliation, filing a whistleblower complaint, or a worker's compensation claim for example, and then you're laid off, then we may want to look at it a little further because we want to make sure you're not waiving any of those rights if you sign to accept the severance, for example.
Speaker 3: So let's take a quick second to define FMLA. That stands for the Family and Medical Leave Act, and basically it's a law that says if you're dealing with a serious health issue or caring for a close family member who is you may be entitled to take on paid job protected leave without losing your position. It can also apply after having a baby or adopting a child. Now there are rules around who qualifies and how big the company has to be, but the main idea is your employer can't just write you off because you need time away for legitimate medical or family reasons.
Speaker 4: How does a layoff differ legally from being fired for cause? And what are the implications because they both feel bad, But like, what is actually the difference between those two categories.
Speaker 2: Sure, it's never fun to end your employment no matter what happens, like it's always going to be a transitional period and it's always the unknown as scary. But it is better to be laid off than fired for cause. If you're fired for cause, you usually cannot get benefits like unemployment benefits. If you're laid off due to no fault of your own, you can apply for that and as long as there's no issue, you probably receive it. So I do think it is better, especially in a resume.
Speaker 5: A lot of.
Speaker 2: Employers are way more understanding of a company layoff maybe gap in a resume instead of you explaining why you got fired for popping off or policy violation or attendance or something. I do think a lot of employers view it a little more favorably than if you were terminated for cause.
Speaker 4: Popping off is the legal HR term that they use when they have to fire somebody to let's just be clear on that, right. I have popped off myself, so I tell you it's not fun. There's consequences sometimes, you know, but it's more common than a lot of people think there's nothing to be ashamed of if you're laid off.
Speaker 2: It's very normal. But I think that's why people view it differently. As far as from the employer end of it, it's a little more understandable. You had nothing to do with it, You couldn't help it, right.
Speaker 3: I wonder also, like within those two things, because it does seem like you could get into like a he said, she said thing where an employer is saying they fired you for cause, but maybe there was underlying circumstances that aren't coming to light. Is there like a way to like fight that process if one person says one thing versus another.
Speaker 5: Absolutely?
Speaker 2: So. I'll use unemployment benefits for an example. So if you apply, which I would immediately do that, if you get noticed that you're about to be laid off, I would immediately apply for unemployment benefits because that can take a while, the process can be slow, it will vary on how your state is processing things. But in response to that, once you get that process started, the employer will get the opportunity to respond and say if you were fired for cause, now when you fill out the paperwork, I would be as specific as possible with the timeline and attach the layoff documents like the notification. If you're able to do that that way, you're kind of starting setting the scene of I was not fired for cause, I was notified on this date, I'm being terminated, I'm eligible for benefits if they can test it.
Speaker 5: They have to be able to back up what they say.
Speaker 2: They can't just say no, you shouldn't get benefits because you're fired for cause.
Speaker 5: Period. They have to provide reasons why. Now.
Speaker 2: I think that a lot of employers will probably have a process and step in place that is going to flag any unemployment claims from a layoff that they already knew was coming. But for example, like with my employment cases, that happens all the time where we say he was fired because you wouldnt accommodate him, and they say, no, he got too many attendance points. Well, the employer responds, and then you can do what's called a rebuttal. You have a window of time to do that, so make sure you don't miss it. You get noticed in the mail, send your appeal window, and then the next step would be a hearing.
Speaker 3: Because I can understand, like I'm sure most corporations it's a pretty standard practice and there's all this documentation and stuff, but I'm thinking like for smaller companies where there's only a few employees that could maybe not have as much documentation, and then there's more personal relationships kind of come into the fray and so interesting.
Speaker 2: Yes, yeah, we see that a lot. Not to segue into too much personal stuff, but I love when a company sends a non lawyer in that situation to represent the company, because I'm like, Okay, I get to be psycho for an hour, and my therapist that I can because it's for work, so buckle up.
Speaker 5: But yeah, some.
Speaker 2: Definitely do or they'll send their poor HR person who knows that stuff probably better than I do, but they don't know how to do the questions in the lawn, like what the burden and the statute is, So anyone who's diying and unemployment appeal again, this is just informational only if it's a phone hearing, ride it all down, look up the statute. That way you know what your requirements are to prove. So if you're strying to say you get unemployment benefits and they say you're fired for cause, google that write it all in a word document including everything you want to say. That way, when you're panicking on the phone, you can just read it and you already did all your homework. But that's an example of you have the same resources going into it as the HR person showing up for the company. But yeah, sometimes the smaller companies they just have to make do with what they have if they even show up. A lot of the times they don't even show up to the appeal hearing.
Speaker 4: I'm always here for a time for page to pop off legally, so semi crazy, yes, exactly. One other element I want to talk about too is severance. So a lot of times if you are laid off, you will get some severance hopefully. Is severance pay required or is it just like a oh, look, how nice we are. We're giving you some money because we're changing your whole entire life right now. How much is a company required to actually provide that versus is it just a nice to.
Speaker 2: Have more of the second? Unless you have a contract saying that you're entitled to employment during a certain time period or some other kind of contractual obligation, or maybe a state law. I know some states are kind of the Wild West, like California, and Washington State may do this a little differently, but normally you are not entitled to receive a severance of employment ends unless you have a contract stating otherwise. Now, if you're offered severance, that's always great, like you said, a nice thing to have, and usually it's like one pay period, sometimes less, sometimes a little more. I would say that's pretty average. Now, the only way we can really negotiate the severance is if we have claims to leverage with it. So like those examples I was saying earlier, if you reported sexual harassment and then you could notice you're being laid off two days later, obviously we're gonna want to leverage that because that can add more value to the claim. Because you engage in protected activity, now we can allege retaliation. But your average person usually that hasn't happened. This usually comes out of nowhere, and unfortunately, you usually do not have a right to severance. There's some like myths going around online that's like you get X amount of months for every year you've been working. There's no such thing. That'd be nice if they all followed it. There's no like federal guideline or regulation requiring that though unfortunately, is.
Speaker 4: There something that you should look for or negotiate within a severance.
Speaker 2: Package before you sign a severance obviously read it very carefully, know what you're agreeing to. I would not sign a severance agreement that didn't have mutual protection. So what you want to look for is that if it's this confidentiality in there, both parties should have equal duty and burden under that. It shouldn't just be one sided. Now the company's writing it, so they will always want to write it in their favor. It may say like non disparagement, but no one there is being limited from disparaging you or things like that. So if you want to suggest changes like that, you can always respond. You don't have to sign it as is. Just know that usually under contract law, making changes like that is considered a counter offer, So they could revoke the severance altogether. I think that'd be kind of unusual if we're dealing with like a mass scale layoff, because they just want to button everything up and move on.
Speaker 5: But it's possible.
Speaker 2: So if I was someone who wanted to change us to an agreement, what's the saying. It's like hungry mouse, don't get fed unless you ask or something like that.
Speaker 1: I would ask, Squeaky Wheel, Yeah.
Speaker 5: Squeaky Wheel gets the oil.
Speaker 2: Yes, And so I would always ask, and probably the worst case scenario is they're like, no, you can sign it as is, though you have until Friday or whatever. That's what I would do if it had any questionable terms. I'd also look at the governing law of the severance agreement. So usually any contract, if it's written by not AI and like a real lawyer or person, it's going to have a governing law. It'll be like, for example, here, it'd be like this severance agreement is governed by the state law of Missouri or something like that, and so we want to make sure that if you're signing that, I would only want to sign that if it was in the state I was in keep an eye out for that, because when we're looking at these bigger companies, if you're working in Missouri and you sign a contract governed by the laws of California, if you ever want to enforce that contract or the company wants to enforce that contract ensue you, it's going to be in California. So it's just like one of the things I would look at. I'd also keep an eye out for arbitration. Agree men's being hidden in there. I've been seeing that a lot in the severance that if you do bring an enforcement action, they're trying to force arbitration now too.
Speaker 3: And just to go a little bit deeper on that, companies are adding language that says if you try to sue them or bring some kind of legal claim later, you have to go through arbitration instead of taking it to court. And while arbitration might sound nicer than going to full blown court, it can really change the playing field. I mean usually it means the case stays private, there's less discovery, and you're not appearing before a jury of your peers. So it's one of those clauses people tend to skim past when they're stressed and just trying to sign the damn paperwork. But it can matter a lot down the road. If there are any big issues with your employment.
Speaker 4: How about can you negotiate a severance after you've already been laid off? And also, as you were talking, I was wondering, should I be thinking, I know this is maybe like gloomy, but a little bit along like a prenup conversation, should I be thinking about including things when I'm being hired that then says, oh, if you ever lay me off, you have to give me x amount for X amount of years I've been here or something.
Speaker 5: You know what I mean?
Speaker 4: Like, how can I be thinking about negotiating severance both before I even start the job and then after I've been laid off too?
Speaker 2: Yes, we love a proactive queen. So what I would do is, if you're going to be negotiating a contract to start employment, absolutely you want to include those things in there, like a notice period. We have been able to negotiate severance just on that alone. Like if I have a doctor who comes to me and they have one hundred and eighty day notice period between ninety to one hundred and eighty days a standard in that industry, if the hospital wants to get rid of them earlier and they break that contract, that's a claim we can use to leverage higher severance payout. So those are terms that you can request as part of that, and I wouldn't put it like personally, I would make it a notice period because that's where we're going to be able to use it more broadly other than just like in the event of layoff. Because they're going to call it a restruct sure or something, you know what I mean. So what I would do is just be like, in the event employment end is this is what the notice period. You could negotiate that, but it really just depends on what you're being paid the notice period, and you can't bleed a turn up. If the company is really folding up and they cannot offer you more, you're not going to be able to get more money. It really depends on all the circumstances of the situation.
Speaker 3: Okay, so let's just say we've got severance figured out, or there isiness everance or whatever, you've been laid off. What happens at that point to any unused PTO paid time off, any bonuses that they're in your contract. Let's say that you get fired like three quarters of the way through the year and you've contributed to those sales goals, any like equity or like stock options that you have in the company that you're employed with.
Speaker 1: What happens to all that stuff?
Speaker 2: Those are all things I would immediately follow up what they try to ask what they're going to be doing about, because unfortunately, you do not have a right to have PTO paid out in most states. Now, different states might have different laws, but there's no federal requirement requiring PTO to be paid out. So I'll use Missouri as an example. In Missouri, if you get laid off, you don't get to cash out your PTO unless the company has a policy or different procedure that they will do on their own. You don't have a right to have your PTO cashed out. That's another reason why you want to use your PTO. Don't be sitting on that that company will get ready to you and replace you tomorrow.
Speaker 5: Like use your PTO because it can be a user or lose it kind.
Speaker 2: Of thing if employment ends, But you can ask for it to be paid out again.
Speaker 5: Like we were just talking about this squeaky reel.
Speaker 2: The worst case they're going to say is no, maybe that they're not going to pay you the PTO.
Speaker 3: In the same vein basically we talked about the PTO and everything. A lot of people have a four oh one K with their employer too, and so I'm curious what's the best way to handle.
Speaker 1: That when you part ways with an employer.
Speaker 2: I don't have a lot of experience with like employee benefits like the four oh one k. I know not to be dangerous, but for some of my cases that's been involved in, you can usually continue it with your new employer. You just have to update the information. I've also had people want to dip into it if they need to, you do get a penalty, is my understanding of that, if you tap into it too early. But some people need that money to buy them time to the next job. So everyone has to do what they have to do. But that's part of what should be included in the paperwork. If you are given that reduction and forced notice or the layoff paperwork, they should give you an itemized list and like how to roll over your benefits.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I think it's just another super important thing for people to remember. I mean, some people put like a thousand bucks in therefore, okay, maybe they forget about it whatever, but it is your money and you should take it with you, Yes, especially for people who had multiple jobs over the years, Like maybe you've set up your personal IRA, right, you can roll your four oh one k over into that.
Speaker 1: And so that's just a super important thing to make sure you take with you.
Speaker 5: Yeah, don't leave your money behind, No, take everything.
Speaker 4: Can you tell us a little bit too about who qualifies for unemployment benefits and how do you apply sure.
Speaker 2: So and again I'll just speak for Missouri as an example, because you apply through the state. You just go online and start the process, and it's a questionnaire you fill out. Really want to caution everyone what you fill out on the questionnaire in any state becomes part of the file. So don't be ranting about how you hate everyone at work and all this suff you know, like, stick to the issues. Okay, Like I was fired on this date. It wasn't my fault. This is what they said I was fired for.
Speaker 5: Can I have my money?
Speaker 2: Keep it sweet and simple, Okay, we don't need dating back to twenty twenty two.
Speaker 5: How everyone there sucks. Okay, it's down twenty twenty six.
Speaker 2: So you really want to keep it basic on what you're asking for and start that process online. They will need some documents like your pay stub to name the correct paying entity, some other items like that. Also, start immediately applying for positions once you get your bearings, because you will have to submit that to receive benefits once you're past the waiting period. They want to know that you're actively seeking new work, not just sitting around collecting unemployment so you can get kind of ahead of the curve because I don't know the exact amount off the top of my head, but I know it's a requirement like X amount of applications per week or something like that. Those are things I would just get started and keep it simple when you're filling out the form. That's where I see a lot of people go wrong, and then like I get it later when I'm helping them with the thing, because I do have a case and I'm like, why did you ran in here? Like now they have all this information that they otherwise wouldn't have had. It's also not relevant, but you're entitled to unemployment benefits if you are fired or workstops due to no fault of your own. Now, this can look like quiet quitting from the employer. They just remove you from the schedule and never schedule you to work again. That you may be eligible for benefits. But if you were fired for violating a known company policy like the attendance policy, no call, no show, anything like that, then the employer can contest your application for benefits and it goes through that hearing process. If you appeal, like we talked about earlier, but generally, as long as the reason you're not working isn't your fault and you're able to work, you'll probably get benefits.
Speaker 3: I also would want to address some stigma here. When I got laid off, people are like, are you gonna apply for unplanned benefits? And I was like, Oh, I'll never do that. Like why, I'm so glad.
Speaker 2: For Yes, there is some weird stigma about, like a negative stigma, and there shouldn't be. I'm so glad you brought that up because a lot of people say that when I'm doing the consultation, because I need to know if they're going to contest the benefits. When he said, she said situation for example, there's nothing wrong about applying for benefits. You pay into them during your employment. You need to get them if you need them. That's what it's there for a lot of people need to just like set their pride aside and get your unemployment benefits if you're eligible, because if not, you're not getting the money that you've paid into.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the amount of people who have lost their jobs and told me like, oh, I'm not going to do that, it just blows my mind because I'm like.
Speaker 5: I hate hearing that is literally what it's there for.
Speaker 3: And yeah, yeah, no one should be ashamed about taking advantage of it, Like exactly, we pay into it. It's kind of like Social Security. You pay into it, you deserve to take advantage of it when it's your turn to.
Speaker 2: It's also not public record, like, there's no reason to be ashamed of it. No one will ever know that you received it besides you and whoever prepares your taxes, so there's no reason to be ashamed of it. It's not like they can go up and be like, oh, Matt got unemployment four years ago, he's going to be a bad employee. That doesn't happen. There's no record of it. And that's not how that works. If you're eligible, go get your benefits.
Speaker 5: No one will know.
Speaker 3: Just go get your money, yeah, and then lie about it on TikTok. You don't have to tell TikTok.
Speaker 4: It's not that easy to do too. So it's not like being abused in the way that you'll sometimes hear about. It's like that is for all of us who contribute to that, use it, get.
Speaker 5: It, enjoy it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they don't just hand you a benefit. You have to fill out the questions, you have to be eligible and then you may receive them. So yeah, it's not like a handout. There's nothing to be ashamed of for getting unemployment.
Speaker 4: We'll be right back after a quick break.
Speaker 3: And we're back with more grown up stuff. How do I don't I want to come to another kind of gray area where you are laid off but there's just this inkling in your head that like this doesn't feel right. What are the signs that your termination might actually be like a wrongful termination?
Speaker 1: And then what can you do about that?
Speaker 2: So the wrongful terminations we look for if a layoff happens, or we're wanting to see if severance might be offered. First, it's going to start if it involves a protected class. And so protected class example is age between forty and sixty nine years old, sex, disability, religion, pregnancy, those can all be different protected classes. Now here's the myth. I've been getting a lot of things lately. Or people will write me and be like, hey, I was laid off. I think it was due to my age. But they just happen to be the age and the protected class. They don't have any actual like specific example of oh, only everyone over forty was selected, or oh, a week ago I reported I thought I was being discriminated against because I'm the oldest on the team, and then they laid me off. Those are all little triggering events we want to look for if you just happen to be in a protected class. But it's never been an issue, Probably not much we can do unless we find out something we didn't know, like behind the scenes information. Also, you want to look that they're not laying off the oldest people on the team, or laying off only the women, or only the men, or only the people working from home. Is in a comedy for the disability, It's so hard. There's no like bright line test to see if you might have been wrongfully fired. So what I would say is, if you have a gut feeling, trust your gut, if your spider sense is tingling, it's for a reason, and just do some research and ask do not spit it in chat GBT. Please Dear God, for the love of God, do not do that, because you waive off privilege. And if you do have a case and you sue the employer, you might have to produce that like, hey, chat GBT, do I have a case, we'll have to produce that. So don't spit it into the internet, but do some research if you think it's suspicious timing or it might involve one of those protected classes, and you do usually get a consideration period before you sign the severance. And that's with the time where I'd immediately apply for unemployment, immediately start doing research if I thought I was illegally fired, And like a lot of us do the free consults. It doesn't hurt to reach out and just see worst case scenario. You email it to me, I say, yeah, I don't hear anything, I would sign it. Or if you're not going to talk with another lawyer, you know, that's a pretty good bad case scenario if you can still get some money.
Speaker 1: The amount of people that are just like chat GP you take the wheel.
Speaker 3: It's just.
Speaker 5: And this keeps happening online.
Speaker 2: They'll be like, oh, she's just saying that because she doesn't want her job to be automated. And no, I'm saying that because like two years from now, when we're fighting about is going to trial, they're gonna subpoenat all of your CHATGYBT records and like anything you've ever spit in there which people talk to it like a person until their deepest, darkest secrets. Why I don't know, but yeah, it's all discoverable, especially like if me, as the lawyer sends you as the client something and you put in chatgybt, it waives the privilege. Now they get access to that.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh, wow, good to know.
Speaker 5: Yeah, do not put your legal things in chatgybt.
Speaker 4: No, don't do that. Also, I think one of the big things around a layoff too is like, yes, you need to get your affairs in order as far as like your money, your benefits, your cobra, all of that, But there is such a mental aspect to this too. Do you have advice for the best things that people can do for their mental health during this time, because again, it is a really confusing and disorienting moment.
Speaker 2: Mental health is one of the most important things you can manage in this kind of situation because it can help you not spiral and think more clearly for how you're going to move with next step. So I am a big advocate of if you can do it, if you can afford it and arrange for it, seek help either through a counselor or psychiatrists. Again, not chut GPT. Okay, some form of professional help that's going to tell you and help you not spiral, and they can help put things in place. Most of it's probably going to be like talk therapy, where you walk through and you deal with those shame thoughts or things like that. Sometimes I have seen in layoff paperwork is where they'll have an employee EAP program available for like thirty to sixty days for the layoff class, or you can talk through those things, or they'll have like job placement services also couched in there too. That's going to depend on the company and what they're offering and if a state law requires it or not. But a lot of the bigger companies we see them offer those benefits when they do the mass layoff. So if it's available and pay for it, I would sign up for that immediately.
Speaker 4: And just to clarify, EAP stands for Employee Assistance Program.
Speaker 2: Yeah, having resources or having a support group, those are the things that you should look to so that you don't spiral, because, like we said at the very beginning of this, it's not a shameful thing. Layoffs happen. It's nothing you did wrong. Probably it's just unfortunately how things go, and so taking care of your mental health can help you start the new place at the level up instead of like beating yourself down ruminating on why you got fired or all these things, and now you're starting at a disadvantage and you hate yourself.
Speaker 5: So don't do that.
Speaker 4: No, it's also so competent. I feel like before it used to be shameful for companies to do layoffs, and now they almost brag about, like we let ten thousand people go look at our stock price, and it's like, what the hell, Like you should have some shame, not you as a person, the company should have some shame in like doing this practice. Oh we'll get off my soapbox now, No, no.
Speaker 1: Are you?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's funny you say that, because yeah, they are proud of doing quarterly layoffs and things like that, and then they march the hiring back up the next quarter. That's why it's like nobody should read into it too much. It's usually not a personal thing. It's just that you're a number, unfortunately to a lot of these companies, and sometimes that number gets laid off. But you should not feel shame from being laid off.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and the frustration is building because not to get on my soapbox, but like, so many protections have been taken away, and I'm curious to hear your thoughts as an employment lawyer, but so many protections have been taken away over the last sixty seventy years, Like pensions got done away with and in its place got the four O one K. But it's optional and some people didn't take advantage of them, And a lot of protections are built into contracts that employees assigned with employers, and so at the end of the day, I feel like the employees are getting the short end of the stick, and so people's frustrations are obviously growing with that, and it can be an incredibly difficult time, and I think it really is best to put your best foot forward and do what you can. Mental health is such a big part of it, you know, it could be a stressful time and taking some time to relax and chill out as good, but just as important, I think as early as you can is to set up what I I'd like to call like an unemployment routine, which for me that looked like one day I was just going to update my resume and the next day I was going to start even thinking about how I might build a website for myself, you know, stuff like that. So I'm curious to hear from you page, like what does a good unemployment routine look like in your eyes?
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I'll speak to this because you know how we were joking off being popping off earlier. I got fired once for popping off to a lawyer I worked for, so I'll use that as an a game off.
Speaker 5: Yes, Page, you know, I don't have to filter.
Speaker 2: So I got fired once, and I treated getting a new job like my job, so like nine to five, I was clocked in once I updated things. I was either applying for positions, asking people to network and connect, because depending on your industry, that can be a pretty easy way to get placed in a new position, especially if you were laid off and not fired for cause. So I treated it like my nine to five. You don't want to apply just one place. Diversify where you're applying because they have different algorithms, and that's kind of so AI generated. Now, if you don't use the right buzzword, your resume not even be viewed right and be one of those you know, I know it's annoying, but post on. Indeed, you don't have to be excited about being laid off, understandably, but I think there's something to be said about posting like, hey, it's sad news we got today that this is no longer going to be a position.
Speaker 5: I'm looking for work in this, this, and this.
Speaker 2: I've heard a lot of people having success from even doing something neutral like that.
Speaker 5: I applied for every position, whether it was legal or not.
Speaker 2: I was just trying to get a law firm on my resume, especially because of how my employment ended and mine was not in a nice way. I plied for lawyer positions, paralegal, front desk, janitor. If it said law firm, I was applying. Sometimes you just have to make that contact. And that's what happened with one of the jobs is they responded and they're like, well, we are hiring for a lawyer, but we do have this, And I'm like, if you could just get your foot in the door, sometimes that might translate into a job, or am I just translate into something that'll.
Speaker 5: Help you later get a job.
Speaker 2: But I treated it like my job to get a new job, and it also was good for my mind, like I felt like I was being productive and I was doing things to help.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I love that you said that. I couldn't agree more.
Speaker 3: I have a lot of friends, unfortunately that are going through this difficult time, and the number one thing that I say to all of them is whatever you can do to reach out to your network, to expand your network, to go to networking events. I've never gotten a job through applying to a job ever. I've only ever gotten jobs through people that I knew, that I met, that I worked with. Never burn bridges. Always show up and do your best work because you just never ever know where your next opportunity is going to come from. And this is the time treating like your next job like it is your job.
Speaker 1: Getting your next job like it is your job is a huge part of that.
Speaker 4: Speaking of your next job too, how do you address your layoff, whether that's on LinkedIn, on your resume or in your future job interviews? Like, how should you be talking about it?
Speaker 2: I would not have any kind of shame or over explain the layoff. A lot of employers are going to understand that, especially in today's world, in this economy, they're not that rare anymore, like we were talking about, So just say it if you're in an interview and you have a gap in your resume and they say, where were you working from here to here? I was laid off at this position, but I found work here after. Or I'd love to work here, but we were laid off here. Don't beat around the bush. Don't try to ignore it or hide it. I think that's weird and can come off as like a red flag to a prospective employer. But just say what it is. You were laid off with ex other people at the company, you really liked working there. Don't bad talk your employer. Okay, that's like going on a first date talking about your ex.
Speaker 5: Don't do that. Okay, that's not going to look good. That's not going to sound good.
Speaker 2: Just be honest, Be like I was working here in this department, our whole whatever was laid off, and I'd love to work here, and I can do this and this, Like just frame it that way. I would not come in grumpy or with your real feelings or anything with how you probably feel about being laid off, and just be like, Yep, that's in the past, I'm ready for new employment. That's how I would personally handle it.
Speaker 4: On that note, too, Is it weird to talk nice about your last employer, Like, I know you shouldn't talk negatively about them, but is it weird to be like, Oh, I'm so sad I was laid off. I loved that company. What's your perspective on that?
Speaker 2: Sure, as someone who interviews people for jobs, like if they're looking to work with me, it's definitely a fine line between being genuine if you really did like where you were working, or just being like pleasant and neutral and like, you know, a normal part of the conversation. So I would not go on and on about how you love your old place.
Speaker 1: Let's stick with the X.
Speaker 5: Think of the date.
Speaker 2: Would your new date like to hear how much you missed your ex? Probably not, But would they like to hear you didn't try to light their car on fire? Yeah, So like I would just stick to like, we liked working there, but for whatever reason it didn't work out. I wouldn't spend a lot of time looking at the past again pivot toward being like, this is why un employment ended there, this is what I was working on there, like these skills or these projects, and this is why I'd like to do it for your company. I noticed you have this in this just try to see how you could flow that in. But it has to be genuine or it's going to come off weird. Right If you just go on and on how much you liked working there, you can do too much. A little goes a long way when you're talking about your ex in any setting, I think.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And i'd say this, especially to my fellow high EQ people out. Their emotions really don't serve you well in moments like this. In America, it's just a thing. We tie a lot of our identity to our jobs, so much so that getting laid off can feel deeply personal. But as hard as it is, try to approach these situations as unemotionally as possible. Don't burn bridges, don't react impulsively, and always stay professional and positive. That mindset goes a really long way, whether you're leaving a job or interviewing for the next one.
Speaker 5: I would also do interviews.
Speaker 2: You don't necessarily want as practice to not be emotional for the ones that you do, And I know a lot of people probably aren't turning down job offers in our economy right now, but I would do interviews with whoever responds to you, even if you're not one hundred percent interested in it, because maybe that's where you'll get that venting or that little emotion part out and you're like, ah, I don't want to do that when I want this important interview for the job I really want. So I would just take everything like a practice opportunity when you're in that transition.
Speaker 3: I think in all things, keeping emotion toned when it comes to employment is good advice.
Speaker 1: Be a chill dude. Just chill out.
Speaker 5: Again.
Speaker 2: Back to the dating example. You got to act like you want it less than they do. That way, you have negotiating power if you want to raise Yeah, because if they think you will leave, maybe they'll pay you more.
Speaker 5: Or if they know that you're really.
Speaker 2: Like the work from home schedule and you're never gonna leave, they're gonna abuse you with that.
Speaker 5: I totally agree.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Paige.
Speaker 4: Wait, and you were talking before about treating unemployment like your full time job in the day, like nine to five is dedicated to networking and sending resumes. I'll add to that too. Use the evenings or the mornings or whatever your lunch break for your hobbies as well, because like that's a great time to still have that balance. And then also you're like, wait, I love knitting, should I be a professional scarf maker? Like maybe you should be.
Speaker 1: On TikTok Yes exactly, yes.
Speaker 2: Exactly, and you can make money off your videos of knitting. Yes, yeah, that's great to add. Yeah, I think that helps you not spiral and lose yourself if you keep a structure, keep your hobbies, absolutely, but any way you could diversify your income. It can make you bolder in that period if you can have something else to rely on.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, well.
Speaker 4: Put and just to put a bow on this whole topic, can you share just a few final thoughts on how to react if you get laid off.
Speaker 2: I think the most important thing is do not be your own worst enemy if you get laid off. This isn't a you thing. This is just a business thing. Let's hit the ground running and apply. Don't sit there and wallow for months. You're not going to help yourself with that, and you're going to give yourself a disadvantage. That's the only thing that I would like to add is take it as a blessing in disguise and move forward from there. It really depends on your attitude and it's going to come across in your interviews. When you're looking for new employment, you have to just be okay with it and move on. And so take the steps you need to do to get there and then start applying. Great, And when are the times that somebody would need an employment lawyer? I think anytime that something weird is happening at work. You don't have to be fired to contact an employment lawyer. And in fact, sometimes we can help before it even gets there. If someone needs accommodations and you reach out to me because they're not giving them to you, I can send you the language that kind of scares them. Boom, you're accommodated. Never have to see me again. That's great. I hope you have a great life. Don't wait for the bad thing to have already happened to contact a lawyer. Like most of us work on contingency. Most of us provide free consultations. Just reach out and be like, hey, this is weird stuff happening at work. I don't know if it'll be a thing or not. Again, it's better to be proactive. So if you think you might need a lawyer, I would not delay it. I would reach out before the bad thing happens.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I just wanted to quickly shout this out because I think it matters so much when lawyers work on contingency. There are so many situations when people need legal help, but the system is built around representing the companies with money. I've looked for tenants rights lawyers before and realize that most of them represent the landlords. It's the same thing with healthcare. When my wife and I were dealing with insurance issues during her pregnancy, I tried finding someone focused on patience rights and it was surprisingly difficult. So having attorneys who can actually advocate for regular people and make it financially possible to pursue a case, it's incredibly important. So seriously, paiged thank you so much for doing this work.
Speaker 2: I'm glad you could put some information together and hopefully help people navigate getting laid off.
Speaker 5: It's not the end of the world.
Speaker 4: As always, I learned a ton, so thank you so much to Paige Sparks from Sparks Legal. You can find her online and on TikTok.
Speaker 3: And if you happen to find yourself currently unemployed, maybe join us again in two weeks where we'll be talking about all the things you need to know to travel internationally.
Speaker 4: First step, get yourself a passport. If you don't already have one, you'll want it. I'm Leah Palmery. This episode was produced by Pamela Lawrence. Our post producer is Sierra Spreen, with additional engineering by Mac Wido
Speaker 3: And a special thank you to all our teammates at Ruby's Studio, including Sarah You, Ethan Fixel, Rachel Swan Krasnov, Lydia Kim and Medylan Harper, Wayne, Deborah Garrett, and mister Andy Kelly