Speaker 1: Andres Cantor has been a sports announcer for almost forty years. He's received eight Emmy Awards for his broadcasting and a place in the National Soccer Hall of Fame. You know his voice that he has watched and announced countless games, but there's one moment at the end of the last World Cup in Qatar that is seered into his memory.
Speaker 2: Benita Fel football.
Speaker 3: The final was a roller coaster of emotions in itself. It took us from Argentina's domination begins the defending world champion, to France tying the match real Francia.
Speaker 1: Argentina goes up three to two, then France ties again. It's three to three, taking the game all the way to panel.
Speaker 3: Kicks by the peak when when the peak age started, I was ready to like pass out. What happened in guitar with Argentina and Messi winning the World Cup is one of my favorite moments.
Speaker 1: If you weren't watching this in real time, maybe you've seen the clip on social media. Andres Cantor wearing a perfectly pressed baby blue button up shirt, clinging to his headset microphone, screaming with joy, his tears barely visible behind his round framed glasses as he hugs his fellow announcer. I think this video is such a beautiful thing to watch.
Speaker 2: Let me just the moment was my true self.
Speaker 1: Are you a crier? Are you an emotional guy?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: I could say I'm emotional. I'm not hard as a rock way it comes to shelling tears. So if I have to shadow one, I will.
Speaker 1: What do you think about? Soccer makes men who may otherwise still be very like raw kiss each other and hug each other and celebrate and like cry.
Speaker 2: I call it the magic of soccer.
Speaker 1: From Futuro Studios, I'm Fernande Chavari and this is American Football, a show about soccer culture in the US and it's underdog roots. I've gotten to do a lot of wonderful interviews for this podcast, and I've enjoyed every single one of them. But when the video calls started with Argentinian announcer Andres Cantor, I kind of had a moment of like, wait, what I know that voice. That's the voice that calls the games. His voice means soccer to me. We spoke a few weeks before the World Cup started, and right away when he introduced himself his chill vive put me at ease. I think most of our audience knows who you are, but if you don't mind introducing yourself, who you are and what you're known For sure.
Speaker 3: I'm known for being a good guy, a good dub oh, I love that, and yelling gold.
Speaker 1: During his now almost forty year career sportscasting, he has cemented himself as the voice of soccer, first calling games for Nibcion as far back as nineteen eighty seven and then moving over to Telemundo in two thousand. I mean his goal call has literally sold as a ringtone on Telemundo's website. His charismatic and energetic game narrations have helped popularize the sport in the United States, even for those who don't speak Spanish, especially in nineteen ninety four, when he was an announcer doing the first World Cup hosted in the US. David Letterman even brought him on the Late Show at the time. Here now to call a goal from a World Cup game played yesterday, Please welcome univisions Andrea's Cantor Andrea. Two decades later, in twenty fourteen, he guest starred in one of the most American shows of all times.
Speaker 2: And contor. You know that is increct usage. I have no control. This job has taken It's all.
Speaker 3: I always say that sometime as I end up my broadcast feeling as tired as the players have run fifteen miles on a match.
Speaker 1: Listening to Cantor during a game is like watching a virtuoso jazz artist freestyle NonStop for ninety minutes or more. And much like a musician, Cantor needs to protect his instrument when you are calling these games back to back to back. How do you sort of reset or recharge your voice.
Speaker 3: I'm supposed to do all the things singers do, which is rest the mind, rest the soul, rest my body, which you try to get us many hours of sleep. The recommendation is before and after.
Speaker 1: Silence, So okay, no talking before or after sports casting, which actually can be kind of hard, especially after.
Speaker 3: The game, because obviously somebody will go for an interview. We have a production meeting, and then you go out and keep on talking, and you go out to dinner and the surrogance, Oh, I listen to your goal, but you said it was a penalty. It was a penalty, and so I jump be rude and say I can't speak well.
Speaker 1: He makes all of this look so effortless. It takes a ton of preparation and pure talent, especially because.
Speaker 3: I hate scripted material I add live. You know, some producers fight me because I do not like using teleprompter.
Speaker 2: What do you do?
Speaker 1: What does it look like?
Speaker 2: So you're going to reveal trade secrets? Please?
Speaker 1: I just have so many questions about your process.
Speaker 3: It is easier around the World Cups than it is on a regular weekend where you know, let's say I'm calling the Premier League for Telemundo. Right before I would tell you I will go watch tape. Now, with all the resources that we have at our disposed of, it's much much easier now, I tell you, I'll go on YouTube and find the game of Burnley, the last weekend's game, and I study how they play. I study the characteristics of the players. If Smith has long hair, if Johnson uses like a wristband that I got to identify him by not even looking at his shirt number. So there are little tricks that I use to try to identify the players. Come the World Cup, it's pretty much the same process. I will give you one of the games that I have Germany against Kurasau. Germany, I could probably go like this, close my eyes and I will have a sense of who has the ball. Kurrasau I haven't seen yet. I'm in the process of compiling all their information. They're playing the World Cup for the first time in history. Is the smallest country to participate in a World Cup.
Speaker 1: He's a bit old school about how he likes his research.
Speaker 3: I still like to write my notes and have them on paper, even though I could have him electronically on a tablet. I take my sharpiece. I use different colors for the team lineup that I have in front of me. I use a yellow highlighter to mark whenever the player is given a yellow card. I take my old fashioned chronometer. Really, I know, it's kind of my luggy charm.
Speaker 2: I skill have my old chrona with me.
Speaker 1: He drinks a ton of water. But food that's a whole other story.
Speaker 3: I usually don't eat my cut off. It is probably like four or five hours before a match. I will not have even a bite. I'll wait until everything is.
Speaker 2: Done to me.
Speaker 1: And no matter how many decades he's been calling.
Speaker 3: Games, there's always that sense of a potential embarrassment on national television. It doesn't really matter whether you're a rookie or a forty year pro. Anything can happen on live TV. Anything that you say, anything that you miss say, anything that you miss pronounce, anything that you miss interpret, any players you identified wrongly. When you're surrounded by sixty thousand yelling fans, producer talking to me in my ear, the emotions of the game and the fast pace of the sport itself, you really have to work your mind to make sure that everything comes out the way you want it to be. So it's taxing on the mind.
Speaker 1: So now we know how real pro does this, but how exactly did he get into this in the first place.
Speaker 2: As a matter of fact, I did not want to become an announcer.
Speaker 1: That's coming up after the break. It's American football and Fernande Charvari. Growing up in Argentina in the nineteen sixties andres Cantor couldn't escape soccer.
Speaker 3: The first gift that every kid got was a soccer ball, So that was probably my first memory, digging a ball when I was probably four years old, five years old. In Argentina, there's social clubs where you go every weekend and spend time, and all I was played football.
Speaker 1: Did you ever think about playing professionally?
Speaker 2: I did.
Speaker 3: I tried out in Argentina when I was twelve thirteen. I last I think it was no more than ten minutes, and they took me off. But there were so many kids trying out at the youth level, and I obviously had the dream yes of playing professional, but I wasn't good enough to make it to the pros.
Speaker 1: And when he wasn't playing soccer, he was listening to matches on the radio to one guy, in particular, his version of Andres Cantor.
Speaker 3: There was one gentleman, the best broadcaster at the time, that had ninety percent share of the audience. Everyone listened to him, called Jose Maria Munos. So I guess I got his rhythms in my years, you know, for life, because we all listened to him and his broadcast and his way of calling games.
Speaker 1: What did he sound like?
Speaker 3: He was always very, very energetic during his play by play in his broadcast, And.
Speaker 1: While Cantor would listen to Munos on the radio, he would sit down and write.
Speaker 3: I sat in front of my dad typewriter and wrote the game report just for.
Speaker 2: My own sake for fun. For fun, Yeah, I have.
Speaker 3: I guess acute observation of what I've seen, and I started reading the game pretty much better than any any kid my age. But I never thought for a minute I would end up doing TV and radio, which is.
Speaker 2: Unbelievable, crazy, do you think. Yeah, as a matter of fact, I did not want to become an announcer. I liked writing.
Speaker 1: When he first moved to southern California as a teenager, he wasn't exactly.
Speaker 3: Thrilled Sacramento, California. It's a very big and vibrant city now, but back in the seventies it was very, very different than Buenos Aires, and I suffered a lot because I was pretty much miserable that first year. I was missing absolutely everything that I have in Buenos Aires.
Speaker 1: His parents, who were both doctors, eventually moved the family to Los Angeles. So the second move is to la bigger city, more soccer, maybe.
Speaker 2: A little bit more soccer. Yes.
Speaker 3: I started playing in my high school team in my senior year San Marino High School. I was bragg We reached the final CIF for the first time in history when I was there, so it was a fine year.
Speaker 2: I made some new friends in the.
Speaker 1: Team, and just like when he was a child back in Argentina, writing was a constant. He was the editor of sports pages for his high school newspaper. He got a journalism degree from usc without taking a single broadcast class. Mind blown, and one day he went from writing to using his voice.
Speaker 3: Since I was covering as a writer many sporting events in Los Angeles, many of the biggest fights of boxing's history in Las Vegas, etc.
Speaker 2: I coincided with a lot.
Speaker 3: Of American media, and one day in February of nineteen eighty seven, I get asked if I could come into Univision Studios for an audition because they were looking for either a soccer commentator or a soccer play by play announcer.
Speaker 2: I had a lucky.
Speaker 3: Break and probably within a week, I get a call from cor Hilary, whom I pretty much owe my career two and say you're hired.
Speaker 1: Coming up. I wrap up my conversation with Andres Cantor by talking about some of his all time favorite soccer moments and his impressions about the twenty twenty six FIFA Men's World Cup. We'll be right back. It's American football and Fernando Charvari. I couldn't not ask andres Cantor about his favorite soccer moments. First one was in the seventies.
Speaker 3: I was again in Argentina and watched Argentina when it first woke up in nineteen. In seventy Argentina Canonndo.
Speaker 1: His second favorite would later be called the goal of the Century.
Speaker 3: I was already working for a Girafico magazine of Argentina in nineteen eighty six, and so my biggest idol, Diego Maradona, lift the trophy and score the most beautiful goal in the history of the World Cup against England.
Speaker 1: They're both Argentina moments, Ohio. And then there's also the one that we started the episode with when he got super emotional watching Argentina win in twenty twenty two but taking Argentina out of the equation.
Speaker 3: I remember one of my goals, London Donovan's goal for the US against our years in South Africa, twenty ten, last minute extra time. The US was being eliminated of group face, which was a big embarrassment, and he scored on a counter attack and I left it all out. Five years later, I was very lucky enough to see Carly Lloyd score a hat trick in the FIFA Women's World Cup Final in Vancouver, and the third goal was from midfield, and I always say that that was probably one, regardless of gender, one of the greatest World Cup final goals of all times. So the Talvivel Country, Vanuatra Sdo, Ronald Taku.
Speaker 2: And King Semi.
Speaker 1: During our hour long conversation, I think I made it pretty clear that I love to talk about logistics and process, so I was curious about what his day to day will look like for this World Cup because for the first time ever in the almost one hundred years of World Cups, this time there are three host countries, three big countries.
Speaker 3: Kata was beautiful because I slept in the same hotel room, same bed for forty days. Now I get to go to eight different cities in all three countries that are hosting the World Cup. So I get call a game, hop on a plane repeat. I go from LA to Houston to Vancouver to Dallas to Kansas to Miami to Alakata.
Speaker 1: Are you a really good packer?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm used to it.
Speaker 3: I usually take whatever it's necessary, and I've learned that if I forget something there's always somewhere where I can buy whatever I forgot if I need to.
Speaker 1: If you've been keeping up with this podcast series, you know that this World Cup is widely regarded in the US as a consequential one for many, many reasons. Here's what Soccer Start tap Ramos told me in an earlier episode in nineteen ninety four. I feel like it was sort of the birth of soccer here. Twenty twenty six has to be the World Cup that makes soccer permanent, and Cantor agrees.
Speaker 3: Back in nineteen ninety four, I knew that soccer had to make it in America. So we depend on the World Cup being popular among the general margo for people that had never seen.
Speaker 2: A soccer imagine their lives, etc.
Speaker 3: But as much as I said the nineteen ninety four we need to have a good World Cup in all sense of the word for the sport to explode.
Speaker 2: Definitely now in.
Speaker 3: This World Cup will solidify the fandom of people that are going to be either new to the sport or that I already watched the sport, and will solidify their loyalties to Orguin.
Speaker 1: On top of the pressure of this World Cup to finally take soccer out of its underdog status in the US. It's also happening during a particularly volatile period in geopolitics. Whereas the typical attitude of host countries has been one of open embrace, the Trump administration stands has been overly hostile, throwing four qualified nations on a visa band list and others on a soft blocklist. It caused a kind of dark miasthma tainting for many a tournament they feel should just be a positive global celebration. As historian Jonathan Wilson said in our first episode, I think this is a World Cup that people approach you in trepidation even with this backdrop, andres Cantor is optimistic about the future of soccer in the US.
Speaker 3: Politics aside. It's a different country altogether. It's definitely not the same as it was in nineteen ninety four. The biggest difference, I would say is fandom. If you would pull one hundred people in nineteen ninety four about do you know what the World Cup is? Probably seventy would say I have no idea, And if you do the same now.
Speaker 2: It's probably the opposite. Thirty would know and seventy would know.
Speaker 3: Way back in nineteen ninety four, nobody could watch more than one game per weekend on television, the ones that we were calling on Univision, So the fandom is that much greater. I'll quote Billy Joel in Piano Man, hopefully we will all forget life for a while during the thirty nine days of competition and then hoping that the world's problems get fixed.
Speaker 1: At the risk of sounding Pollyanna, this is something that I talked about in episode one, the escape that the World Cup provides for so many of us, and its significance here in the US for immigrants and kits of immigrants. Well, my last question is a bit of a personal one. Soccer to me, I don't know the stads. I can't tell you know who plays one during the weekend. But when the World Cup happens, I go nuts and I go hard and I get really into it. And my dad was always the connection to soccer for me since I was little, and this is the first World Cup that I'm going to experience it with him. This is the first one since his passing. So there's a lot of connection to soccer that is beyond the sport, that is about family, that it's about connection. So I'm just curious who's the person that sort of does that for you.
Speaker 3: You asked me before if I am emotional, and I got emotional here in your story, and I know.
Speaker 2: That you will when you hear me he got.
Speaker 3: A lot of things will go through your mind and they're all going to be beautiful memories. I have no doubt where that Mexican Jersey proud. Think about your dad and think about who you are and what your dad allowed you to become. If I may say, you know my two beautiful kids, my wife, and you know. When Argentina won the World Up in twenty twenty two, obviously I got a big hug from my son. Actually he was pitch sided and I don't know how he found me at the presentation studio and we hugged and cried.
Speaker 1: Oh that's amazing.
Speaker 3: With a video that also went very very viral. I'm going to close by saying that I am the luckiest person in the world because I worked doing what I love the most. I've been given the best seat in the house for the last forty years. They paid me for it, and I've been very lucky to be surrounded by great professionals and a great family that has allowed me to do what I do. So every time, and believe me, this is true. Every time I walk onto a broadcast booth at the stadium, being the first game or the final, I'll just go. I'll pinch myself, even though it's something that it's part of my regular job, but I will still pinch myself and say how lucky I.
Speaker 1: Am, and I am thank you so much for sharing that with us. American Football is produced by Futudo Studios in collaboration with Iheart'smichael Tura podcast network. I'm your host Fernande Charvari. This episode was produced by Levi Sharp. It was edited by our senior editor Rebecca Vara and Me. Fact checking by Roxanna Guire, mixing by Brandon Krugel at Multitude Productions. Victoria Strada is our production manager. Legal review by Jonathan Fisher at Legal Arts, Andres Cavalero is also part of our production team. Our executive producers are Marlon Bishop and Maria Garcia at Futuro Studios. Executive producers at iHeart are Leo Gomes and Arlene Santana. Futura Media was founded by Maria Inojosa. You can listen to more episodes of American football on the iHeartRadio app, Apple podcasts, or wherever you get your shows. And if you like it, please give us a rating and a review. It will help other people find us. Thanks for listening.