Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, podcasts, radio news. This is Bloomberg Intelligence with Alex Steinhl and Paul'sweenye.
Speaker 2: The real app performance has been in US corporate high yield.
Speaker 3: Are the companies lean enough? Have they trimmed all the fats?
Speaker 2: The semiconductor business is a really cyclical business.
Speaker 1: Breaking market headlines and corporate news from across the globe.
Speaker 3: Do investors like the M and A that we've seen?
Speaker 4: These are two.
Speaker 2: Big time blue chip companies.
Speaker 3: The window between the peak and cut changing super fast.
Speaker 1: Bloomberg Intelligence with Alex Steinhl and Paul'sweenye on Bloomberg Radio.
Speaker 2: Today's Bloomberg Intelligence Show, we dig inside the big business stories impacting Wall Street and the global markets.
Speaker 3: Each and every week we provide in depth research and data on some of the two thousand companies and one hundred and thirty industries our analysts cover worldwide.
Speaker 2: Today we'll look at how Japan is dealing with rising cases of a flesh eating bacteria X plus.
Speaker 3: World, Let's go how electric vehicle markets around the world are not all traveling in the same direction or at the same speed in twenty twenty four.
Speaker 2: But first we dive into the airline industry and Boeing. A Boeing quality inspector recently alleged that the plane maker mishandled and lost track of hundreds of faulty parts, some of which he said may have been installed on new seven three seven maxplanes.
Speaker 3: The claims were detailed in a complaint by Boeing inspector Sam Mohawk with the Occupational Safety and Health Administration, and they deepen the pressure that Boeing already faces from Washington. The company's under investigation by multiple federal agencies, including the Justice Department.
Speaker 2: For more on to all Things Boeing, we were joined by George Ferguson Bloomberg Intelligence, senior Aerospace, Defense and Airlines analysts.
Speaker 3: We first asked George about some of the challenges that Boeing is now facing with its outsourcing strategies.
Speaker 5: So in that same report, right, they talk about inspections at suppliers, they talk about monitoring quality suppliers better.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I just think.
Speaker 5: This is a it's a wholly different industry, right. I think there's a bunch of people that have come to the aerospace world from auto backgrounds and other mass production backgrounds, right, and in those worlds, safety isn't as important. Volume is a lot higher. You can get multiple suppliers to provide products to your production line, you can work cost on those suppliers, and I think that whole game plan is really really difficult to do in aviation. And I think this is part of what we're seeing, right. I think you can outsource, but I think if you outsource, you know, you know, to your supplier base, I think it's still got to be you know, a pretty strong relationship with them, not a combative relationship where it's always about price, because it really matters the quality you get to your line, right, safety is dependent upon it. And so I think what we're finding out as this sort of you know, whole Boeing saga unravels, is outsourcing and banging up your suppliers for price just isn't a winning strategy in aviation.
Speaker 3: Have they course corrected enough or can?
Speaker 1: Look?
Speaker 5: I think they can. Everything can be fixed. I think if you look at their competitors across the pond, Airbus, they're not having these problems. I think Airbus has been less combative with some of their suppliers. They're in the middle of this correction. We know they want to buy Spirit Aerosystems. We're still waiting to hear news on that. There's still, you know, the challenge of getting some of the other companies that Spirit supplies, to name the Airbus probably out of the portfolio so they can recover. It's gonna take some time and it's gonna take a lot of work with their suppliers.
Speaker 2: So, George, if I think about, you know, rethinking my strategy with my suppliers and maybe focusing less on price competitives maybe a little bit more on quality, does that imply that Boeing's profit margins will be under pressure going forward?
Speaker 5: I think for sure, right, I think you're you're not going to receive a return to the Boeing margins you saw at the end of last decade. I'm not gonna say in time, perhaps they could get back to that. It's going to take a bunch of work here near term to improve the quality, and that's going to cost money. Plus we already know that some of the business they put in the books, right, they had some challenges delivering into China. That was kind of the one two whammy after they had the grounding of the Max and the crashes. We know they probably sold a bunch of airplanes for some pretty good prices to really core customers like United, like Southwest. So I think that I think both, you know, both on the cost side again, given this correction to improve the supply base, improve production, get capacity rolling again, as well as some of the pricing they gave away on backfill for orders means you're not looking at a Boeing that's going to get those margins fore you through this decade.
Speaker 3: I think if I look at Boeing stock, then I mean it's down from December. Does that accurately reflect then this tighter profit margin world to sort of revamp and the course correct and that they have.
Speaker 5: To do so, you know, I think when you look at their valuations, you know, their historical valuations, One, they're really high right now, right because earnings are so low, you know. So I think that there is a little bit of investor look through at this point, you know, on the current problems they have. But whether or not they're properly positioned for the out years right now, I think it's all a function of if they can quickly improve the build rate so they can improve economies of scale and start to get more profitability back into this business and that you know, really remains to be seen.
Speaker 2: George, you mentioned China. Where is Boeing in terms of getting the seven three seven macs in the air and China kind of how's that business looking in terms of sales and deliveries.
Speaker 5: So their deliveries going into China, right and uh, it looks to us to largely be deliveries that were you know, built, you know, when the seven three seven was grounded, and they're started to get some of those back into the country.
Speaker 2: But China's also has this problem now with.
Speaker 5: The flight recorder that's been authorized by other jurisdictions, including the US. So I mean it feels to me like China's allowing deliveries, but you know, they're still not maybe keen on taking a lot of deliveries from Boeing. I haven't seen a bunch of orders come in from China, you know, for Boeing, And so I would say that relationship still, while it's maybe thawing a bit, is nowhere near where it was in the last decade. And they have their problems too.
Speaker 4: Right now.
Speaker 5: I think they don't need as many airplanes, their economy isn't growing as fast. Air travel isn't growing as fast. But I still think that relationship is not in the right place where it should be, where you'd like it to be. I think for Boeing before I let.
Speaker 3: You go, any word yet on the replacement for Dave Calhoun. Like, how's that going?
Speaker 4: He laughed?
Speaker 3: Answer is laughing.
Speaker 5: Yes, what I hear from news reports is picking up still. But gee, I mean, I don't know, it's been a while. There's a lot of conjecture. It's a hard job. There's probably a lot of people that just aren't willing to take it. I don't know, you know, they got to the end of the year, and so maybe they're going to use it all. I don't know.
Speaker 3: I mean, and anyone but Larry Culp that you keep hearing about, that's for real.
Speaker 5: So I don't really track the people that's you know, that's kind of hard for me. I do know, like it said, it's got to be a rock star manufacturing, you know, sort of CEO. I don't know that there's a lot of them left in America. I think we do a lot of outsourcing now, so maybe that makes it a taller order too.
Speaker 6: I don't know.
Speaker 2: Our thanks to George Ferguson, Bloomberg Intelligence Senior Aerospace, Defense and Airlines analyst.
Speaker 3: We move next to big tech and alphabet's Google. Google has faced immense pressure to keep pacing artificial intelligence with Open AI and other companies, and in April of twenty twenty three, the tech giant announced it would combine its two elite AI teams, Google Brain and deep Mind.
Speaker 2: Google would form what it described as an AI super unit called Google deep Mind. This is the subject of a Bloomberg BusinessWeek story this week entitled Google deep Mind shifts from research lab to AI product factory.
Speaker 3: For more. We were joined this week by one of the stories authors, Bloomberg Tech reporter Mark Bergan. We first asked Mark about Google's AI strategy.
Speaker 4: I think, you know, the good way to put their their strategy in some ways is they're trying to longer be in their back foot. But I think that with the past two years and that our story looks at how Google and deep Mind really set the infrastructure and then the base layer for this sort of AI boom that we've had, and then Chatgebt kind of took all the glory in some ways, and so in their playing ketchup in you'd say, not necessarily on the technical side, but there's certainly now you know, chat, scheebt and all iterations from the different companies building language models like anthropic and cohere, they're all sort of threatening Google Search in a way that really hasn't happened in almost two decades, and so their strategy is I would say defensive at this point.
Speaker 3: How does does it get on the offense? What does it need to do to sort of change that narrative?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think you know the story. We looked at a lot about this mergers that they that Google put in place a year ago so they've had out here in London is Deep Mind, which is widely consider like the world's leading AI lab and has for the past decade effectively been the best funded university running in the world. They basically been a research lab. They put out some great breakthroughs like alpha go alpha fold around protein folding, but they've not been deeply integrated and connected with kind of Google's commercial and profit center, Google Brain, which was the competing AI lab or that they also had in California that was a little bit more tied to a lot of the popular Google services, and they've been all merged that for the past year under demosacibus here who runs all of Google AI. It's had kind of a bumby road so far, but I think their plan is to continue to ship things like Gemini their big foundational model, tweak that and start kind of integrating a lot of this research directly into commercial services.
Speaker 2: Mark what does Google say about that chat GPT and just as a fundamental threat to the core Google search business? How do they respond to that?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean, you know, Google publicly is great about never talking about their rivals by name. Anyways, they say nothing, And I think that something they've talked about for a long time is that sort of their their token phrase that soon they're but cha uses is that the search is the last kind of biggest moonshot for Google. I think they are thinking, and you know, they're thinking a lot about what that search interface looks like. You know, how they're going to adapt to if consumers move to things like Chat, schipt and Gemini. What does that mean for Google Search ads business, which is still the line's share of its revenue. They've had some some clear mishaps. I've looked pretty ugly snaffoos, and since the launch of Gemini or this year, right, like there was that kind of famous incidents where they were some of the responses were encouraging people to put glue on pizza, right, there were these They've described this as sort of like this is kind of early stage in this technology and some stumbles that they've had, but you know, they are the world's leaders in search and this is something where you know they have a lot of deep responsibility to get this right, not just for their business but for people's trust in using Google.
Speaker 3: Well that's what's so difficult, right, It's like all the technology is changing so fast, but you still need to like do it. So it's it's you're like we're watching it in real time. Paul and I were just talking about a Washington Post article and then talked about how all the AI models cannot answer who won the presidential election in the US in twenty twenty. And I'm just wondering, like how these advanced technologies solve for problems that they're using these large language models, which is basically like, you know, me and Paul talking are regular people talking, does that also mess them up?
Speaker 4: It reminds me a little bit of it's a slightly different technology obviously, but you know they're In twenty sixteen, Google had this big mess where if there was a popular or there's a blog or this kind of fringe blog that said that if I remember this correctly, it's been a long time, it was that Hiller Clinton won the election in twenty sixteen, right, and that was a top of for briefly and momentarily top of Google News results. And they've dealt with this sort of problem around misinformation, around totally not credible sources being at the top of Google Search. You're seeing problems that are now dealing with. I saw a story about Google images and like consensual porn. I mean, these problems I think are being multiplied because with these tools of that generative AI do, which Google talks a lot of as being revolutionary, it also just makes content production so much easier. And so there's this multitude of content now and Google has been this sort of their primary services to organize this, and that has a lot of messy problems, especially what OpenAI has kind of forced and Microsoft as forced Google is to move a lot faster than they have been in years past, and we've seen some clear stumbles from that.
Speaker 2: Our thanks to Mark Bergan, Bloomberg Technology Reporter.
Speaker 3: Coming up, We're going to break down my recent guidance from the home old Leonard disappointed investors.
Speaker 2: You're listening to Bloomberg Intelligence on Bloomberg Radio, providing in depth and data on two thousand companies one hundred and thirty industries. You can access Bloomberg Intelligence be a B I, go on the terminal.
Speaker 3: I'm Paul Sweeney and amlex Deal and this is Bloomberg.
Speaker 1: You're listening to the Bloomberg Intelligence podcast. Catch us live weekdays at ten am Eastern on Apocarplay and and broud Auto with the Bloomberg Business App. Listen on demand wherever you get your podcasts, or watch us live on YouTube.
Speaker 3: We move next to the home builder Lenar. This week. The company reported better than expected orders in the second quarter, but it's forecast for deals in the current quarter missed analyst expectations, and Lenar shares fell.
Speaker 2: After the report, Lenar said that affordability continued to be tested by interest rate movements and simultaneously challenged consumer sentiment. For more on this and the latest in the home building space, we were joined by Drew reading Bloomberg Intelligence US Homebuilding analysts.
Speaker 3: We first asked Drew for his key takeaways and why investors were so unhappy after Lenar reported its results.
Speaker 6: It's so much about what's happened with the volumes they deliver good orders. They're up nineteen percent. They maintain their full year guidance for eighty thousand home closings. It has to do with their outlook for gross margin. They guided to about one hundred basis points below what the street was looking for, and as you mentioned, that would require a ramp in the fourth quarter to about twenty five percent. So, like you said, there's definitely some skepticism in their ability to meet their full year outlook. The reason for that is because we saw rates move up as high as seven and a half percent during the quarter. You know, they've come back in a little bit, but we're seeing their need to incentivize buyers remain elevated, and that's what's impacting profitability.
Speaker 2: So where are we in that activity there? If I'm looking at of seven percent mortgage, what are they going to.
Speaker 1: Do for me?
Speaker 6: Yeah, So typically what we're seeing is that the builders will maintain a spread versus the headline rate. So if you're seeing seven and a half percent in the market. Typically you're going to get six percent from a builder. You know, there are some other builders, and depending on the market, depending on how strong the market is, what the man looks like, they could get you into the fives. But obviously that's going to cost them on the gross margin line. So the incentives they're using are certainly working. It's just what's the cost so.
Speaker 3: That one percent the hundred basis point missed, but then keeping their guidance for gross margin for the year, that must imply that they're looking for rake cuts.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I think a lot of it has to do with what they're doing on the cost side. One of you know, Lenar's emphasis for their business over the last several years has really been running a more efficient manufacturing based business where they're not necessarily just chasing volume, but they're doing it the right way. They're fine tuning their floor plans, they're pushing back on their suppliers. You have to remember they're one of the second largest builder in the country, but they're one of the only builders who has scale at the national level, so they're able to leverage that and kind of push back a little bit. So certainly some of the benefit that they expect in foro Q, I would assume is going to come from what they're doing on the costs side, as well as fixed leverage from higher deliveries. But nonetheless that's still going to be the focal point for investors is how do they get there?
Speaker 4: How much?
Speaker 2: I mean, I remember this back in the beginning of the pandemic, lumber went crazy, Where are we in lumber? And how is that a part of their gross margin?
Speaker 6: Sure so numbers about ten percent of the cogs for a builders, so it's certainly the most important input costs. As you would expect, you know, lumber prices have come back down a lot, so builders have been benefiting on the margin side. I think we've seen more stabilization of late, perhaps a little rise to the upside, but really lumbers not impacting the business in as significant a way as it was over the last couple of years.
Speaker 2: What the companies tell you about their expectations for interest rates, mortgage rates, what are they think is going to happen?
Speaker 6: So I think the expectation broadly is that mortgage rates will start to come in a little bit as we get through the end of the year. I don't think they're managing their business for any you know, significant and dropping rates back to you know, where we were previously. But I think as a builder from a demand perspective, if we get rates coming back to the six and a half percent range, you know, that's that's pretty much a sweet spot for them. You know, we've heard that as you get to five and a half percent, that's really when demand in the market starts to move. So the fact that if we could get to six and a half they're buying down rates one hundred basis points, I think they'll continue to do well. And you know what's interesting is the public builders are kind of at the top of the food chain as it comes to housing. You have to realize they're generating about fifty percent market share compared to call it thirty eight percent prior to the pandemic. Really, so they've really leveraged that lack of inventory in the resale market and the struggles among some of the smaller private piers, and they've capitalized on it.
Speaker 3: So when you say we have to the five and a half percent is kind of a nice sweet spot. So that implies the Fed funds rate a six and a half percent and the home builders still give that hundred basis point discount. When the Fed funds rate gets to five and a half percent, do the builders still offer that one hundred basis point discount.
Speaker 6: I think it's going to depend on what the broader macro economic situation looks like. If we get a pool back in rates, you know, a modest pullback, and we are still dealing with a pretty solid labor market, I think that you know, builders will be able to definitely pull back on their use of incentives. I don't know that they'll go away altogether, because at this point that's something that buyers are looking to and it certainly made their product more attractive. If we get a significant pullback in rates and it's because you know, the economic situation has deteriorated further, that's obviously more of a concern and we would see them probably pushing centives even harder.
Speaker 2: Our thanks to Drew Redding Bloomberg Intelligence at US home building analyst.
Speaker 3: Moving to Japan, we hear the country is now dealing with rising cases of a disease caused by a rare flesh eating bacteria that can kill people within forty eight hours.
Speaker 2: Health authorities have reported over one thousand cases of strip to cockle toxic shock syndrome in the first six months of twenty twenty four. At the current rate of infection, experts fear the number of cases in Japan could reach twenty five hundred this year.
Speaker 3: For more on all this, we turned to one of the experts, Amshidalgia, Senior Scholar at the Center for Health Security at John Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health. He's also an infectious disease physician.
Speaker 2: We first asked Amash to tell us more about the bacterial infection in Japan.
Speaker 7: Streptococcus is a bacteria that all of us have dealt with. It's the same bacteria that causes strep throat. What can happen though in certain individuals is it can be a much more severe infection where it can cause what we call necrotizing or flesh eating type of skin infections and then also spread systemically and caused multiple different organ systems to shut down. So that's when we use the kind of term toxic shocks, and there would say that bacteria basically disseminates toxins throughout your whole body and it's a very serious illness with high levels of morbidity, immortality.
Speaker 3: Doctor, is this new or has this always been the case.
Speaker 7: It's always been the case. What's new is that in Japan post pandemic, they've reported at least two years where they've had higher than normal cases and trying to unravel the mystery of why that change in epidemiology occurred is what's getting headlines right now. But streptococcle toxic shock syndrome has been around forever. It's just this increase in Japan that people are interested in.
Speaker 2: How do the medical professionals, how are they treating this?
Speaker 7: So the mainstay is going to be antibiotics, but because it's this systemic toxin disease, we often give other drugs to modulate the immune system, and if there are elements of flesh eating disease going on, they basically have to do extensive surgery to kind of cut ahead of the infection.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, this sounds terrible. How quickly does this happen? I mean, you know, strap can come on really quickly and it might take you a couple of days to realize that you have it. Like, what's the cycle for this?
Speaker 7: Well, when you get into that toxic shock syndrome, spiral it's very fast. They can be dramatic, you know, even in an hour can be a major difference in a patient. But it's important remember that not everybody that gets a strep infection is going to get it's still rare. Most people who have a strep infection of their throat or of their skin going to turn out to be kind of a garden variety infection. But it is important for clinicians to keep in mind that if people are getting worse, if they're not getting better, if they're more concerning systemic symptoms occurring, that they think about this. And it's also important for patients to know that as well, that if they're not getting better in the expected time, or they're taking a turn for the worst when they're already on antibiotics, that this is something where they need to seek care immediately.
Speaker 2: Is there any reason why it would be I guess localized in Japan here, anything that is unique to that part.
Speaker 7: Of the world, not particularly, I mean, we've seen increases in streptococal infections, not necessarily toxic shock causing ones all over the different countries. For example, the UK had a major issue with this a couple of years ago, and it may be having to do with kind of idiosyncrasies in the immunity in the population in Japan. Remember, we all came through a pandemic where there was a lot of social distancing and many of the ordinary infections that people get every year were kind of disrupted. And there may have been different disruptions in different parts of the world and different lens of these infections, and now they're kind of coming back to their prior levels and there's some catching up to do. There are people who might not have had as much immunity because they weren't exposed at a low level over the last couple of years, or they just might not have been infected. And there's a certain number that are going to be expected every year in Japan, and because you had a two year lull, now it's coming back to baseline levels and that's what they're noticing. So this is kind of one of the leading hypothesis. But we don't know quite everything for sure what's going on in Japan, but that's what I think is at play.
Speaker 3: What are the signs you mentioned that if you're on antibiotics for strap and you don't get better, but you get worse. What are some other signs that people should be looking out for.
Speaker 7: Well, so severe a spreading rash that's getting severe, severe pain, if there's a rash where the infection might have been, anything involving low blood pressure, extreme fatigue, not being clear mentally, difficulty breathing, all of those kind of signs that the infection is not localized.
Speaker 2: Nic doctor. I remember we should talk to you all the time during the pandemic. You're very kind to share your time and you know, kind of educate a lot of folks on what this virus was, how doctors and health professionals were treating it, and then ultimately the vaccine and the efficacy of the vaccine. So we again appreciate all that time you gave us. Now that we've got that in the rear view mirror here, I know one of the themes that came out of that was just the stress on the healthcare system and the people of the healthcare system that doctors and nurses and everybody of the work they had to be in the front lines during those early months and that year. How are the folks, the good folks at Johns Hopkins that you deal with in the facilities, how are they doing? Several years on now, well, I think.
Speaker 7: That most healthcare systems around the country have kind of come to a new normal where there's kind of chronic burnout, there are chronic staffing issues where people quite haven't recovered from the way that the pandemic altered hospital operations. And this is going to be one of the long tails of the pandemic. It's not something that you can just bounce back from. There wasn't a lot of resiliency built into the system, There wasn't a lot of kind of slack in it, and the pandemic ate up all that slack, and I just think that we're in a situation where a lot of people still are carrying those scars around of that time when they were overworked, where there were concerns about personal protective equipment, where hospitals were crashing, and even when you look at the economics of hospitals, we're seeing hospitals closed world hospitals really looking at their financial viability, hospital bankruptcies. So this was something that took a major toll on the healthcare system, just like we expected and predicted it would, And this is why it's so important to incorporate healthcare preparedness healthcare resiliency into planning for the next infectious disease emergency, whatever it might be. This can't just be something that we think about when there's a crisis, when it's in the headlines. This is something that needs to be done kind of with a long term eye to the future to make a sustainable way to operate hospitals and make emergency prepared and as part of their core function.
Speaker 3: How are we doing with COVID? I mean, COVID loves me. It doesn't love Paul, but it loves me. How are we doing with COVID? What are the cases like? Are we going to get vaccinations in the fall for flu en covid? What do you think?
Speaker 7: Well, COVID is something that's increased over time in the last several weeks or so. But we've seen is this virus is endemic, but it continues to mutate and spin off new variants that are able to infect us. So right now, all across the country, COVID cases are up, emergency department visits are up, but its ability to cause severe disease, its ability to crush the hospital severely constrained because of the immunity and the other tools that we have. We will have new vaccines in the fall that are better targeted to what's circulating, and that will likely be something that's recommended to high risk individuals that they get right alongside their flu vaccine.
Speaker 2: Thanks to Ama Schadalgia, senior scholar at the Center for Health Security at Johns Hopkins's Bloomberg School of Public Health.
Speaker 3: Coming up on the program versation with Weatherford International CEO about the company's turnaround post bankruptcy.
Speaker 2: We're listening to Bloomberg Intelligence on Bloomberg Radio, providing in research and data on two thousand companies in one hundred and thirty industries. You can access Bloomberg Intelligence via Bigo on the terminal, I'll Paul Sweeney.
Speaker 3: And Amlex Steel and this is Bloomberg.
Speaker 1: You're listening to the Bloomberg Intelligence podcast. Catch us live weekdays at ten am Eastern on applecar Play and Android Auto with the Bloomberg Business app. You can also listen live on Amazon Alexa from our flagship New York station. Just say Alexa Play Bloomberg eleven thirty.
Speaker 3: We take a look now at the company Weatherford International ticker WFRD. Weatherford is an oil services company that also has a leg into the energy transition.
Speaker 2: What makes them interesting is that the company went bankrupt in twenty nineteen, and in twenty twenty, Weatherford announced several changes to its executive leadership team, and its stock has since rebounded.
Speaker 3: Weather Firs stock part increase ninety two percent in the full year of twenty twenty three, outpacing its peers. So for more on the company, we were joined by its president and CEO, Garesh Salgram.
Speaker 2: We first asked Garesh where the company is in its turnaround.
Speaker 8: Look, it's been a terrific four years. The team's done an incredible job. I think very few people could have dreamt where it would be today and what was possible. You Know, the way I think about it is, the turnaround's mostly done. You know, we've gotten the company out of the ditch. We have stabilized everything, We've fixed the balance sheet. So the journey so far has been from broken to good. The next phase of the journey is really the good to great journey. And that's what I'm actually very excited about, because if we've been able to do all of the things that we've done over the past four years with a lot of constraints, a lot of shackles. You know, the exciting part is what we can do without that.
Speaker 3: So when you go from good to great, does that mean like a lot of buybacks and dividends?
Speaker 4: Does that mean? Yeah?
Speaker 9: What is that?
Speaker 8: Look, it's a lot of different things, but ultimately it is creation of value, and it's creation of value for our customers, for our employees, and most of all for our shareholders. But it's doing that with continued focus on greater cash generation, which comes from better margins, better improvement in the way we manage our networking capital, but also ultimately better investments. So our real goal is to make sure that we've got world classes that are done on invested capital.
Speaker 2: Now that you've I see as an outsider to the energy industry, I see a lot of m and a activity there, and being a former banker myself, that's what hits my radar screen. How do you guys think about MNA for your business now that you are on maybe firmer footing correct?
Speaker 8: You know, for the first three years, MNA was a bad word. You know, Weatherford actually built up on a series of acquisitions and a lot of issues with that, especially around the lack of integration. So the first three years that I've been in the role, we really focused on the organic capabilities of the company, building out the portfolio, making sure we fix the operating intensity and the rigor around the company. But we have now gotten to a point where MNA has become a very important salient topic. We actually just exercise that muscle for the first time. We announced three small acquisitions back in February, so two in the wireline technology space, one in a very exciting space, and Intervention, which really gives us capability in slaught recovery and plug an abandonment, which is a very key part of that energy transition. So we've started to do that, and I think there will be more to come because we've now got a balance sheet that allows us to do that, and more importantly, a team that understands the importance of integration and is learning how to build that into the opening cadence of the company.
Speaker 3: How do your services differ than say one of your competitors, and how do you sort of invest for the life cycle of a welfare customer.
Speaker 8: Sure so in oilfield services, there's a lot of companies that do a lot of things similarly. So we've got what differentiates us. We've got a portfolio that provides core ofs services, so everything from brilling services to wireline, etc. But we're also able to complement that with what we call specialty services, things like managed pressure drilling, tubular running services, intervention services, etc. That very few, if anyone, has, So that combination of broad based services that allow us to go toe to toe with the larger peers in the sector as well as then these specialty products and specialty services give us that differentiation and also allow us to have higher margins.
Speaker 2: You know, I keep jogging to alex with oil at eighty dollars a barrel. I'm going to drive down to Texas and start drilling some holes. I mean, isn't the cost like forty bucks in eighty dollars? I can make some money there, but I don't see a whole lot of drilling activity. What's going to take it for the industry to take advantage of these prices here?
Speaker 8: Look, I think the industry has really really embraced this concept of delivering returns for shareholders, and so I think there's a lot of discipline, especially around managing capital within the industry that's further exacerbated by the wave of M and A that's happening, which again goes back to driving higher returns. So I don't think in the US there's going to be necessarily a sea change. You know, at the range of oil prices that we are seeing right now, which I think in the long term is actually good for our especially it creates a balance versus the seesaw effect that you see in the cyclicality that we've seen in the past. We also have a very robust international market. So for Weatherford, less than twenty percent of our revenues come from North America. The bulk of it is really an international orientation, international leverage, so we see a very healthy market. Now the US is still the largest market in the world. We see a lot of activity, but it is something that is driven by capital discipline by our customers, which is a good thing.
Speaker 3: And we have M and A too. Does that eventually lead into less business for oral services companies because in theory, maybe an Exxon pioneer going to drill ten wells rather than twenty.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I think, Look, we are seeing a lot of drilling efficiencies, we are seeing the recount go down, But I think it all comes down to differentiation. As long as companies can differentiate and deliver value to allow our customers to make greater headway on their efficiencies to generate higher returns. I think they'll always be business again. It is the largest market still.
Speaker 2: I mean I'm looking at your income savent, I mean roughly half your revenue Eastern Hemisphere, half Western HEMISAE fear it gives the economics of both of those, your domestic markets versus your international.
Speaker 8: Yeah, you know, Historically North America was a very profitably challenged market for us on a profitability basis. Yeah, right, So our team's done a fabulous job over the past few years really changing the way we run the North America business. So today the profitability across all of our geographies, all of our regions is pretty much imbalance. So and I think, you know, I've always said the litmus test of our turnaround has been what's happened in the North America market over the past year. We've seen revenues decline in North America, but the profitability has actually gone up. So that's a real testament to what we've been able to do at Weatherford and the opening rigor the opening intensity that the team has put in.
Speaker 2: Our thanks to Gresh Saligram, President and CEO at Weatherford International.
Speaker 3: We have something here at Bloomberg called Bloomberg New Energy Finance. The idea behind it is to provide data on commodities, power, transport, industries, buildings and agriculture plus new technology.
Speaker 2: This week we look at BNF's globe long term forecast for electric vehicles for more. We were joined by Corey Cantor Bloomberg bn EF lead US electric vehicle analysts.
Speaker 3: We first asked Corey for his key takeaways from bnef's recent EV research.
Speaker 9: I think the big takeaway is that EV sales growth is happening on evenly across different regions in the world. Maybe not a surprising finding if you're following EV's on a day to day basis, but moving forward, we expect that to be a bit of the same. To give you a sense of where we see things going, we basically have both the near termout look and a long term out look. The near turnout look ends in twenty twenty seven, and so what we expect is by twenty twenty seven, global passenger EV sales will be about thirty million in our base case called the economic transition scenario, and a probably a better metric of that is thinking about EV share of passenger vehicle sale. So we'll move from a world where one in five cars sold is electric to a world where one in three is about thirty three percent, up from eighteen percent last year. By twenty forty, we expect that about seventy three percent of all new car sales will be electric, but there's a long way to go. And then on the US question, always good to compare it, I think to China and Europe. US passenger EV's shareff sale last year was around ten percent. We expect the next two years to see a bit of a slower growth. So only about twelve percent of new car sales should be electric this year, rising to about twenty nine percent by twenty twenty seven. Seems pretty good, but if you look at Europe in China, it's going to be much higher there. So by twenty twenty seven we expect about sixty percent of new car sales to be electric in China and forty one percent in Europe. And when we talk about passenger evs at B and EF that's both battery electric and plug and hybrid electric vehicles.
Speaker 2: Talked us about this plug in hybrid it feels like a lot of folks are suggesting that might be a very vible interim step for at least in the US in terms of the transition. Ev Is that how you think about it, Paul?
Speaker 9: Really good question. I also co wrote the plug and hybrid section of the report. We do a kind of deep dive which we do with a few different deep dives every year, and what we call thematic highlights. I think around p Has the question really is.
Speaker 2: Pheaps, yeah, pheat. Pluggin hybrids okay, plug in hybrids okay?
Speaker 9: Is how good are they going to be? If you look at the plug and hybrids in China, they're all electric mode, meaning they're kind of electric. Mileage they get before they have to turn on that gas engine is about twice as high in China currently as it is in the US. So quite simply, China is making not only better fully electric vehicles, but better plug and hybrids. We still think that there is some role for pehabs to play this decade in markets like the US in Japan. But what I've been big on pushing on is the product that we're getting today is not necessarily as good as it should be. So when you hear automakers say oh, well, maybe we'll do more hybrids or do more plug and hybrids instead of fully electric vehicles. I think a fair response would be to say, well, in Europe and China they're getting far more all electric mileage than here, so can you deliver some of that more high quality product. Ultimately, we do a bunch of different scenario analysis in the full report, and one downside of plug in hybrids is that if you go down that route and people are aren't charging them enough, which is harder to do because of the lower all electric range, you could end up in a scenario where you're having a lot higher oil demand use than if you just switch to fully electric vehicles, and that would not be good for your climate targets.
Speaker 3: When do you think the tipping point is when EV's become more of mass adoption here in the US.
Speaker 9: So what we've pointed that historically is this idea of upfront price parody. We're seeing total cost of ownership parody, including fueling already being hit in many different regions in terms of upfront costs. It really depends if you're comparing apples to apples, right, you see a lot more evs in that kind of low forty thousand dollars price range now high thirties. I think once you get to the low thirty thousand dollars price point. Really, according to our analysis, when we're looking at kind of a generic BEV versus a generic ice vehicle, we see it happening in the US over let's say the next three to four years, really twenty twenty six to twenty twenty eight. But really, if you're comparing a Tesla Model Y towards a lot of its competitor vehicles or Model three, you're getting pretty close. But that's where you start to see I think higher adoption where you won't have to necessarily have a premium and price. You also get a lot of good leasing deals today on EV's but it's a bit messier to kind of figure that out because you've got dealer markups, you've got different rates. But big picture, that upfront price parity.
Speaker 2: How about the charging infrastructure in the United States? To what extent is that been holding back the adoption of evs here and kind of how do we expect that to evolve?
Speaker 9: Yeah, I think that's the biggest difference between Europe and China. Our EVY outlook for folks who aren't familiar, has whole sections on charging infrastructure, how much investment is going to be needed moving forward, but really just taking a base level stat TESLA remains the number one provider of charging infrastructure here in the US in terms of reliability, in terms of number of fast charging stations, and then there isn't really a clear cut number two, three, four, five. My colleague Ryan Fisher does a bunch of great presentations on this, and one of actually the most impressive findings is US and Europe actually have a similar amount of chargers between the top six kind of charging infrastructure operators, but Europe has an addition five hundred operators after that that really supply the bulk of the market. So again, we want to see more of that infrastructure built out. There's been a lot of reporting around the federal funds rolling out really slowly because they've had to go through state RFPs. But yeah, that's the number one issue holding back probably the US market, maybe even moving past the upfront cost issue.
Speaker 3: At least with my IC car, right, I can trade it in and I can get value for it. Do we know how this market evolves for evs?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 9: I mean I did a residual value note with the team at BADF maybe about two years ago, and the market looks so different than that's when Tesla prices were going ten to fifteen percent above their kind of selling price. And so now you've seen because Tesla brought its prices down that residuals for a lot of evs have crashed. I think it's going to be something that continues to develop. We need to find out how long batteries are going to last.
Speaker 3: I don't know that yet.
Speaker 1: It varies.
Speaker 9: I mean, we don't have I think any research here where we've said that this is what we find amongst all the kind of evs in the market. But right, if your battery holds up longer than people expect, you'd expect to see me even more residual value. If not, you know, you could see more of an issue. But yeah, it's an outstanding question, like so much of the space. But to your point, Alex, that's why you want to see more, you know, look into battery life over time.
Speaker 4: All right?
Speaker 3: Thanks to Corey Kanter Bloomberg, an EF lead US Electric Vehicle analyst.
Speaker 1: This is the Bloomberg Intelligence Podcast, available on Apple, Spotify, and anywhere else you get your podcasts. Listen live each weekday, ten am to noon Eastern on Bloomberg dot Com, the iHeartRadio app, tune In, and the Bloomberg Business app. You can also watch us live every weekday on YouTube and always on the Bloomberg Terminal