Speaker 1: Welcome to Good Game with Sarah Spain, where we're celebrating Lily Johannes officially declaring for the US women's national team over the Netherlands.
Speaker 2: By screaming if you're Dutch, you ain't much.
Speaker 1: In the general direction of the land of tulips and windmills. It's Tuesday, November twelfth, and on today's show, we'll be talking to ESPN Soccer reporter Jeff cassoof about why he doesn't love the NWSL's expanded playoff format, what to expect in the NWSL semifinals, and how.
Speaker 2: Long is too long for a var review? Wait is Alex saying atm machine vaar, Hey, Sarah, the R stands for referee perfect.
Speaker 1: Plus, we're going to celebrate nationality declarations and the return of camp season that is PWHL camp. It's all coming up right after this Welcome back slices. Here's what you need to know today.
Speaker 2: To the WNBA.
Speaker 1: Former Los Angeles Sparks head coach Kurt Miller is headed to Dallas. Miller was hired by the Wings to service the franchise's new GM and execut vice president of basketball operations. Miller was fired by the Los Angeles Sparks shortly after the season ended, a shocking move given the injury depleted roster that he worked with. Rookie star Cameron Brink tore her acl early in the season, sharpshooter Lexi Brown sat for more than half the season dealing with Crohn's disease, and point guard Leisia Clarendon sat out for the latter half of the season due to mental health as well. The news means that Miller is off the table for the several W teams currently in search of a head coach. Per ESPN's Alexa Philippoo, multiple WNBA teams did express interest in Miller before he signed with the Wings. More w, the Minnesota Links announced Monday that they're losing two members of their staff. Assistant coach and two time WNBA champion Katie Smith is leaving the franchise to head back to her alma mater, Ohio State, where she'll serve as an assistant on head coach Kevin mcguff's staff and Links Gmclaire Dewillius is departing to serve as executive vice president and general manager of the new unrival league founded by Link starn OFFISA Kallier and New York Liberty star Brienna Stewart. This leaves two big holes for the franchise to fill after an electrifying season that ended in a loss to the Liberty in the WNBA Finals. A little citizenship news, so to speak, Soccer phenom Lily Johannes has committed to playing for the US national team moving forward. The seventeen year old was born in Virginia, but her family moved to the Netherlands in twenty seventeen, and she'd been contemplating representing the Dutch instead. She made her US women's national team debut and a friendly against South Korea in June, playing and scoring in the three to zero victory. But FIFA rules do allow players to switch their competitive nationality so long as they don't play more than three competitive games at the senior level before the age of twenty one. Addressing her decision to declare for the US women's national team on social media Monday, Johannes wrote, quote, the US is my homeland, my birthplace, and where my extended family resides. These strong connections have driven me to honor my roots and proudly commit to US soccer.
Speaker 2: End quote.
Speaker 1: Johannes is a certified phenom. In April of last year, she became the youngest female professional in AJAX history, which she signed a three year contract with the Dutch club through June twenty twenty six, and at sixteen years old, she became the youngest player to ever start a YUEFA Women's Champion League group match last year. Johannes's declaration to the US comes less than a month before the US women's national team visits the Netherlands for a friendly to hockey. We mentioned yesterday that Canada defeated the US on Sunday to take a two to one lead in their five game rivalry series. Four different Canadians found the back of the net in that four to one win. Looking ahead, the rivalry series now takes a pause so players can head back to college or off to p WHL training camps, which begin today. The final two games of the rivalry series between the US and Canada will be played in February, and we're going to get you ready for season two of the PWHL later this week. In sponsorship news, basketball player Alissa Peelely, who just finished her rookie season with the Minnesota Lynx, has been named the official face of Nike's N seven collection for Native American Heritage month. Peelee, who also recently signed down to play Athletes Unlimited basketball this winter, is of Simone and Alaskan and New Piat descent. We're going to take a quick break, certainly quicker than a var review in the NWSL when we come back. It's the ESPN's Jeff Casoof.
Speaker 2: Joining us now.
Speaker 1: He's been covering soccer with an emphasis on advancing the women's game since two thousand and eight. In two thousand and nine, he launched The Equalizer, of the leading website dedicated exclusively to comprehensive women's soccer coverage in North America. He joined ESPN about eight months ago to become the outlet's lead NWSL and US Women's national team reporter.
Speaker 2: He's a big fan of Fall Foliage.
Speaker 1: But that's about as much personal info as you'll find on him online.
Speaker 2: He is very secretive. It's Jeff Kasoof.
Speaker 3: What's up, Jeff, Thank you for having me. I don't know about secretive, but I guess I'm a bit mysterious by that description.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you maybe just keep it real business online. And I'm an oversharer. So that's when I go digging for personal info. Couldn't find much. The good news is you're here to talk soccer, and I know you could do that.
Speaker 3: And it is you can do that book.
Speaker 2: See, there we go, There we go.
Speaker 1: Okay, let's talk quarter final. We just witnessed a bunch of those games. New format this year, playoffs expanded from six to eight teams. All the top seeded teams won. But do you think opening playoff weekend affirmed or rejected that expansion?
Speaker 3: Oh? I think it rejected. I mean I was anti expansion the moment that this came. I think, I mean we had a clear top four in this league. And you know, I think, for as a neutral, especially if you're the league, I think, as you're trying to put on an entertaining product in the final, those top four teams have been clear far and above the rest of the league. You know, I think eight teams out of four team going through. Look, I mean the games were competitive, right for the most part. BFC was on a nice run heading into the playoffs, nearly pulled an upset, got it to extra time. I think we got off to a really difficult start on Friday, night with Chicago just getting absolutely throttled by Orlando. Granted a historic Orlando team, but I mean you look at that, that's the eight seed that has never existed before. It's a sub five hundred team. You will find. For me that whether it's playoffs or like the general pool of teams going beyond sixteen, I'm not in favor of endless expansion because I think it has a lot of ramifications.
Speaker 1: It does feel like though there's a benefit in terms of like being able to sell tickets, get excitement around a playoff game, use that to motivate fans to return later after they've been to a playoff game and the energy is so high.
Speaker 2: I mean, as a league.
Speaker 1: That's trying to continue to grow, it feels like it was a win in that sense.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I agree with that. I mean, we had a record crowd at Gotham at Red Bull Arena, you know, spirit game looked really full and really raucous. You know, I think the good crowds throughout Kansas City has been doing that all year. In Orlando, I think even for Orlando, you know, typically for their history, a pretty good crowd at eleven thousand plus. So you're right, I mean, I think and it's look. I mean, yes, the league expanded, so that's part of it. But they've got four TV partners now too, right, And I think, you know, I think it's very clear that the simultaneous announcement last year of the new TV part and the expansion of the playoffs, there's no separate in the two. I mean, this is more TV games. It's good for TV. It's good for teams to play more games. So I get it from a business perspective. From a soccer purist perspective, I'm not in love with it.
Speaker 1: When we look ahead, though, is it possible that it will make a difference for top teams not having a buye We used to see teams with buys get upset, So maybe that continued play and lack of rest will actually be a benefit moving forward.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think that's a good point. I mean, we see all four teams advance, all four higher seeds advanced, so you know, I think there was always a struggle. And then we'll be going forward to with a disruption to team seasons, and part of that has been not only the bye week, but in the past the you know, and ongoing the FIFA International Windows that fall roughly around when the playoffs start. The league decided this year it would be awkward to have a FIFA window in the middle of the playoffs, let's start them after that window. This window, I think, if I'm remembering it right, is a little bit earlier than it has been in the past anyway, so that helped. But yeah, I think you know that disruption has been a problem for teams in the past, and it's been really hard to pull off the shield double with the championship and Orlando now I think has maybe the best shot of anybody in a while since those Courage teams of twenty eighteen nineteen, So we'll see how that plays off. This is also probably the most competitive semi final round that I can remember.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like you mentioned, there was a very clear top four and we're going to see them all battling. Before we move on to the semis, let's quickly talk about what we saw in the quarterfinals. You mentioned the Pride win over the Red Stars four to one opened up the weekend.
Speaker 2: We got a brace for Barbara Banda.
Speaker 1: She hasn't gotten as much attention with a quieter second half, but obviously still very effective.
Speaker 2: What makes Barbara Banda so dangerous.
Speaker 3: Well, I mean, look, she's she's got the pace right that I think is a little bit too cliche, but it's it's been a problem for everybody. But I think you know, she is a pure finisher too, I mean technically speaking, that is, you know, I think we see it when whether she's one v one with a defender and you know she beats them on the dribble, if she's one v one in the open field, obviously on a through ball, and then in front of net I mean, I think we've seen some creative finishes from her. So yes, I mean there's the speed side, sure, but there's also the technical ability that she's been able to show off in this league, and I think, you know, in a way that has been really good for the wider world. I think because we've seen her with Zambia and you know, we've seen that capability, but then playing in China in a league that you know is really off the radar, it's not a major league. I mean, players have made their way there for various reasons, including you know, maybe pay that they weren't getting elsewhere. But now we see her in arguably the best league in the world, and she's regularly beating the best defenders, which I think is a testament to her quality.
Speaker 2: Overall, Probe have been so dominant this year. What is their weakness?
Speaker 1: If you're facing them, where are you looking to try to expose them?
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, I think one. I mean we saw it with Chicago didn't get the midfield right at all, and I think that was a problem and that led to those transition moments. I mean, you look at that goal, I guess you'd say the backbreaking goal right before halftime, and Emily Sam steps in, it's a win in midfield. She plays a through ball to band Us, She's one v one with Carrie Riccaro, and that's it. So I think you've really got to win that midfield battle. And look, I mean the Kansas City rematch. We saw this right in the rematch that they played in Orlando less than two months ago, or about two months ago, a nil nil draw where it was not the first meeting. When these two teams were unbeaten in June in Kansas City, it was a chess match between them. Neither of them wanted to give up too much of those transition moments, so they both played pretty conservatively, especially for how they've played throughout the season. So I think if you're Kansas City, I mean that's your blueprint, that's your template is you know, maybe this wasn't necessarily us, but you know, we played a more defensive mindset and we were able to really offset Orlando in the midfield, and then obviously that has the knock on effect to Banda to Marta, to Ali Watt, whoever's running on the wings. So I think that's really it is staying compact, winning the midfield, and then look for the moments in transition, and frankly, that's how both of these teams win games. So it'll be it'll be a moment of magic in that semi final, and whether that's Chewinga for Kansas City or Bandit for Orlando, we'll see.
Speaker 1: You mentioned the Casey Current and they squeezed past the North Carolina Courage on Saturday Golden Boot winner. As you mentioned Tim with Chwenga the lone goal scorer in that one, shetalit in the eighth minute and then just kind of stuck there.
Speaker 2: Were you surprised it was as tight as it was.
Speaker 3: No, I think this was the one game that I really felt. I mean, Bay, yes, in the game that we'll talk about with Washington, but I think you know, this was the four or five game, a sixteen point gap between four and five, which I think was pretty noticeable in many ways and really defined this table throughout the season. But not surprising. I mean, it played out the way I think we would have expected in that Kansas City had their moments, they had transition moments. How many of them were they going to finish? I think was the question, not if? And for North Carolina, I mean they kept the ball throughout the match. This was through and through their identity throughout the season. I mean I asked that coach Shawn Dejas before or the game, do you do you stray from that identity at all? And very firmly said, we do not. This is who we are and we saw that in the game. I mean, I think the problem with the Courage throughout the season has been they haven't had a finisher, or really proven finisher, a multi you know, a double digit goal scorer that could finish these opportunities for them, and it's cost them games because they keep the ball and they don't they don't have the final product, you know, and then I think you can point to the absence of MVP last year's MVP Caroline, who was in this game, in this game probably more minutes than she should ever could have played, just to try to get the result. And ultimately I think it really did play out how we expected. Is Kansas City in transition North Carolina keeping the ball and like so many times this season, didn't find the breakthrough.
Speaker 1: Afterwards, Lacko and Tanowski talked about the courage targeting Temwa not getting the calls.
Speaker 2: Do you see that when you're watching the game.
Speaker 3: I mean, I think you do in some ways. You know, I think I'd have to check again when I look right after the game when he said that she actually only had one foul suffered on the stat platform I was looking at. But you see it in I think maybe to his point in ways where she doesn't get a foul called, And you know, I think that there's I mean, there's a lot of layers there, right. I think there's inconsistencies in the refereeing in the league period. There is you know, is she getting special treatment? Is she not? Is you know, a number of factors I think you can point to it. I know a number of teams have pointed to. I mean, I think one of her best qualities, beyond the very obvious goal scoring, is how she's progressed as I guess a team player for lack of a better term, in her tracking back defensively. I mean you'll see her at times near her own end line helping out her full back and we've seen that, right, I mean, I think people pointed to and again I don't think there was a problem with this tackle, but like she was the one who put in the tackle on Trinity Rodman a month or so ago where it caused Rodman's back spasms. I think those were generally coincidence, those those two incidents or the net effect of them. But you know, I think he's got a fair point. I think people have a fair point in reverse as well, that you know, she's a defensive forward who I think can you give it as much as she can take it at times?
Speaker 1: Yeah, and sometimes it might be just subconsciously, right if we're used to seeing those strikers that sort of set up top and they're the ones handling the ball, and it's they're the ones taking fouls versus when she gets back there on the defensive side. You start to sort of, even if it's subconsciously, see her as more of that give than take her, and maybe you don't give her as many of those protected, sort of favored calls that you might otherwise.
Speaker 2: Let's talk about you mentioned the Spirit.
Speaker 1: Game they won two to one over BFC and own goal, ending the year for the plucky expansion side. Never a way you want your season to end. But what did you see from the Bay in year one that you liked?
Speaker 3: Well? I like the back half of the season, certainly as putting it all together, and that was the defensive piece. I mean, look, Abby dal Kemper, a US international World Cup winner, arrives in late August, and you know, scores in her first game, and immediately you know you can't credit everything to Abbidal Kemper, right, but there's a tangible sort of parallel here with a turn in fortunes for Bay. And you know they spent they spent over a million dollars, they spent a world record transfer fee and Rachel Kuinananji a million dollars dollars, you know, in some in that winter offseason heading into their first season as an expansion team, and you know they very much define themselves coming into the season as an entertaining, attacking team. They were going to score goals, and then the problem was they gave up so many and they couldn't win games. They couldn't even draw games for almost the entirety of the season. So what I liked from them in this back half of the season was finding a defensive balance. Those pieces are there, I mean a seaside Oshawala, Rachel Kinananji. They've got their first season under their belts in this league. This league is always a bit of an adjustment, even for high quality internationals for the most part, and I think you take that, you balance it with that defensive piece, which I think you have to see Abby dal Kempe as the core and the spine of it. And then you get those midfield pieces Kiki Pickett, you know, you get Alex Luera back hopefully healthy for a full season after an early season injury test body you know, I think did really well for them. So I think you've got the pieces there and now it's a matter of putting together complete performances, as they mostly did in the back half of the season.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it wasn't a great outing for the spirit but they got the win.
Speaker 2: What did they need to improve before this weekend?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean I think they were frustrated defensively to your point, I mean, you know, Rodman is the game changer. I think this is the time of year where you look at at those players and we've talked about showinga and Banda. I mean Rodman, I think maybe a slightly distant third in an MVP race, but was certainly had her name in that in many ways, and is the is the sort of entertaining player, certainly American in this league and among the best, you know, among any players in this league. So she can change games on her own. I think, you know, obviously it's a lot of pressure to put that on her in a playoff game, but that's you know, that's in some ways what playoffs are about. So I think getting her on the ball more. And then that midfield, you know, I think Bay was really able to stay compact and frustrate that spirit midfield at times. So you know, finding a way to get through against Frankly, I mean a Gotham team that I know we'll talk about, but that is a strength of their So it's going to be a tough one. For the spirit for sure.
Speaker 2: Yeah, let's talk about them. Rose Level ends up being the hero.
Speaker 1: Her stoppage time goal helps Gotham get past Portland in the last game of the weekend. Tieranna Davidson good timing for her first goal of the NWSL year in the victory too. How confident are you that this Gotham team can repeat coming from a very different position last year, the surprise coming out of six this year, they've got all the pressure on them to try to get it back to back years.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, as good a shot as anybody in this top four. I think. I think we really are seeing a semi final round here where any of these four are going to be worthy champions. Any of these four. I think the margins will be really fine on the day. And you know we saw from Gotham in this quarterfinal against Portland. Yes, they left it late, very late in stoppage time that I think we've only had because of a dubiously long var review.
Speaker 2: But dubiously long.
Speaker 1: That play was like half a second long, and it took like eleven minutes to review.
Speaker 3: Well yeah, I mean I went back and counted the morning after here and it was six minutes almost of review and for something that you know by the letter of the law. Even on the call on TV was pretty clear because this happened earlier in the season with an in important game and pro came out and said we got it wrong.
Speaker 1: So right, this was the Becky sower Brun potential handball call that in case people don't know what we're.
Speaker 3: Talking about, so probably forever. Yeah, more cut and dry. But yeah, but Gotham in this game. I mean, look, I know the score line and the Lake goal, but for me, Gotam controlled this game. I thought Neilie Martin was really impressive in that sort of lone holding midfield role she has been. I mean, that's the story, right, is Rooseveltierna Davidson. They are those big names that came over in the offseason and they've gotten all the attention among others this season for Gotham. But Gotham's got this done. Not just twenty six deep, but I mean, I was out in San Antonio the other week They're signing seven players just to get a roster fielded for a Cup final. They've gone really deep this year, and it's players like Martin, It's players like Delaney Sheehan coming off the bench having that assist for the game winner six minutes later in stoppage time, and they found the depth, they found the balance, and they've got the momentum. So I think as good a shot as anybody at this for a championship.
Speaker 1: Before we move on from that final game, for Christine Sinclair, there was a feeling that maybe Portland could come up with some magic to try to sort of win one for the Gipper style. Can you put in perspective for us just what Christine Sinclair did for the game, how much she achieved.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean it's tough to do that, right, I think, Yeah, eleven years in Portland, I think that is sort of even. That is a small piece of it, but is a big piece of it for her, and that you know, she was a founding member of the Thorns and helped define that franchise, which is arguably the most successful in the league obviously for Canada. Has been the face of a country for two decades plus, and you know, world leading goalscorer internationally, and I think you know all while doing so, and you know all of those incredible stats and I think you know this is is maybe a little bit cheesy, but like, you know, we talk about it, right, it is like how do people talk about you? And you know, kind of the humble superstar. I mean, I don't think you can find a person who can say a bad thing about Christine Sinclair. And you know, I think just right down to the very end. I mean, you know, we we waited a long time after the game to try to just talk to her for a couple of minutes. And you know, even in asking her about sort of the end for her, the entirety of her answers straight to the team and losing the game. And that's just her in a nutshell, even despite being you know, world leading goal scorer and all those.
Speaker 2: Things Canadians Canadian truly.
Speaker 1: Also, in honor of her retirement, I think we should finally fix the internet. So when you search who is the highest goal scorer in international soccer history, you've fucking stopped getting dudes and start getting Christine Sinclair at the top of the page.
Speaker 2: It's so infuriating.
Speaker 1: Temwa, Barbara Banda, Ossi, Sadoshwala, who you mentioned, Rachel Kundananji. You're looking at some of the goal scorers in this opening round. You're looking at some of the big names in this opening round, and it's a reminder of so many high quality African players joining this league and becoming instant game changers. How has the arrival of those African players really changed the NWSL.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean I think, you know, in some ways maybe a missing piece for these top teams. Orlando's a team that I think had a lot of pieces in place last year to build a foundation for what they're doing this year. Never in my lifetime what I've I expected to say that the Orlando Pride would start a game twenty a season, twenty three games unbeaten. But I mean what they lacked was probably a proven goal scorer. And there it is in Bando with thirteen goals in the season in the regular season, and you know, temwichowinga obviously breaking Sam Kurz record. Again, I don't know that it was a record that I felt like would never fall, especially as we've expanded the league and the season, but it's been there for a while and Sam Kerr was you know, did what she did in a singular way in this league. So you know, tim Wichwinga comes in year one and breaks it. You know, I think that they've really in many ways those two players alone, but but you know, even beyond them, the influx of international talent this year has defined the league and it's been really quite a response from the World Cup last year in a way, and whether they directly correlate or not, you know, the US was generally terrible at that World Cup. They you know, we came out of that saying, is this where everybody turns and says, the NWSL is not doing it for us, We need to expand our game and go abroad. That really didn't happen, and instead NWSL teams brought in international players, and I think the league has been many ways doubled down on being arguably the best in the world because of that. So I think that they've they've helped in that case.
Speaker 1: As a fan of the NWSL, as someone who supports all of these investors and folks who are trying to make this game bigger here, I am so grateful that's the direction it went in, because there was a real panic post World Cup about how the US was failing on the international level, but also about how if the international game started to pass them by, would the exporting of players to European leagues or other leagues around the world be be more likely than being able to draw them in and instead, with the arrival of some of these fantastic players and the enthusiasm and excitement around it, I think we can say that the NWSL is still the best league in the world, or at least still competing for the best, and with room to grow now that we've seen the results of these players arriving, which is great news for growth. Okay, quickly, let's look ahead to the Semis Gotham at Washington next Saturday.
Speaker 2: Who's got the edge?
Speaker 3: I mean, look, I like Gotham on momentum. Momentum is a bit cliche, I realize, but I you know, pairing with that is the fact that they find ways to get things done and to the point of not just with their superstars, but you know, the depth that they have. I mean, Sheham coming off the bench because she was dealing with a minor injury, but you know, whether it's she Han. We haven't even said yas Ryan yet, who won. Carlos Samros head coach was really complimentary of in that midfield, so you know, Ryan Martin defensively, they've been really sound, despite maybe a couple moments in that quarterfinal and obviously maybe escaped with the help of the woodwork. But yeah, I like Gotham in that matchup for the run that they've been on, the ways they find it, the ways they've found to get it done, and you know, Spirit on pure talent, I mean, I think this game is maybe equal on pure talent if you're looking on paper. But I think Gotham has some experience from last year and they've got that identity. I mean, the Spirit do as well in transition, but Gotham finds ways to control games, to win games, and you know, I think that they've got all of those pieces in place in a way that should get them through to the final.
Speaker 1: We saw pretty rock and home crowd at Audi Field. Does that play a difference there for you that the Spirit are going to be at home?
Speaker 3: I mean I think it's a factor. Yeah. I mean being at Red Bull Arena yesterday, it was the best I've ever seen red Bull Arena for a Gotham or Skyblue game. It was as the press box is seated, as you know, which is the last time it'll ever be. Fortunately we're right by the benches, and I mean the crowd was on the refereeing crew. I would say the Gotham bench was fired up. We had at one point, I don't know what the cameras caught, but the Thorns were coming out of their technical area to talk to the fourth officials. So I would say, I mean, it's always hard to tell. It's impossible to know what the crowd plays into a referee or otherwise. But like it was there in a way that had never been there for Red Bull Arena, And I think you could say that about Audifield in many ways, at least for you know, Audi Field pre Michelle kang Era in a way, you know, even though that was growing at a time.
Speaker 2: But right, well, we.
Speaker 1: Talked about on the show yesterday that the crowd for the last home playoff game for the Spirit was some somewhere around five thousand something, and this was a cell at nineteen thousand plus.
Speaker 2: I mean, it's a very different space.
Speaker 1: Now, maybe we'll get Magic Johnson back there in one of those boxes to high five Trinity if things are going well, let's talk about the other one, Orlando hosting Kansas City on Sunday. How can case you mentioned this, you know, and the Pride's great season, is it really just about not making mistakes and allowing the Pride to attack, but also finding ways to make them make mistakes.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, I think as simple as that sounds, it is because you look at that blueprint of a game from September and it really was a little bit despite all the talent on both of these teams of you make the first move, because each of these teams knows how much they can get. You know how effective they are in transition and how effective the other team is in transition. So if you commit those numbers forward, you know you might and you don't score, obviously, you can very quickly get countered, and neither of these teams you want to be counted by. So I do think we could see something very similar to September, which was a scoreless draw. I mean, this could go to one twenty to PK's potentially. There's so little between these teams, right down to that proven goal scorer that is just head and shoulders above the rest of the league and chewing gun Banda. You've got Marta in midfield, You've got a host of other names that would take too long to list, right, and Casey has that in midfield as well. So yeah, I do think this is going to be a game that potentially turns on a moment of a mistake.
Speaker 1: Even Yeah, and Casey of course wants to get to the final in their home stadium. Orlando obviously wants to actually get the title to cap off a season that's already been so spectacular for a team that was sort of the laughingstock of the league for such a long time. They've got the old win one for Marta to her contract. Obviously, we don't know where her future lies after this season. I listened to a really fascinating conversation that talked about how the lack of relegation in the NWSL and also the style of play means that teams usually show up for every single game playing their style.
Speaker 2: We don't usually see the way we do an international play.
Speaker 1: When the US is in the World Cup or in the Olympics, we talk a lot about the other teams choosing to play a certain style knowing that the US is a better team, playing super defensive and hoping that a mistake will allow them to get some magic, knowing that they're outmatched.
Speaker 2: We don't usually see that in the NWSL. But does it feel like when you get.
Speaker 1: Down to these playoffs, you will potentially see teams being more willing to play outside of their own style in order to do what we just talked about with the Pride Kansas City game, which is maybe we lay back a little bit and hope that we get that opportunity and we force them to make a mistake instead of going out there with whatever aggressive style woul usually bring to a regular season game.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, I'd argue that's happening in ways that maybe our sort of novice eyes don't see as much in the regular season.
Speaker 2: But you say my novice eyes myself as well.
Speaker 3: Like I mean, listen, I've been on calls where coaches definitely don't agree with the assessment that we've had from the outside, right, But you know, I think maybe this, Yeah, the stakes are a little bit lower in the regular season and in ways, but certainly there's an adaptation. I mean, I think most coaches will tell you publicly that we play our game. We don't you know, we're not going to adapt to them, They're going to adapt to us. But of course there's an adaptation. Of course, you're going to go to an into a game and say, you know, we can't give Orlando this piece, we can't give Kansas City that part. So I do think, you know, I think the coaching Actually, I'm mean I wrote about this in the off season, although so how much has changed in mid season, including the shocking stuff that like Casey Stony not being in San Diego right now is nothing I would have predicted eight months ago. But you know, the coaching carousel of the offseason really benefited the NWSL as well. You've got Jonathan Heraldez coming over from Barcelona. Arguably, you know, the most coveted position in the world in club football is lord to Washington. Like a lot went right there of Lackwananofski returning as Kansas City's head coach, and that is really elevated. I think the tactical piece of this league in many ways, we talked about North Carolina with their possessions, so I actually think that this league to counter wherever that point was made a little bit like, I think this league doesn't quite get enough credit for being more tactically flexible, for the coaching quality that exists. And I do think as much as there's a tired cliche that we use here about there's only two good teams in France and all of that, which is becoming a little bit less true. I think it happens in reverse too, that the NWSL is only a transition league, when I don't I think that's a data view to be honest.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, we're gonna have to have you back with more time to talk about, Like you mentioned, whatever the hell is going on with the Wave what other changes we hope to see from this league in the off season. But we can save all that for the off season because we got Semi's coming up, and he did such a great job getting us primed and ready for those So thank you so much for the time, Jeff, and congrats on the gig with ESPN. We love to see a dedicated reporter covering all that stuff and bringing us the good stuff. So thanks for coming on. Thanks for having me, Sarah, We got to pay the bills, stick around.
Speaker 2: Welcome back Slices. So last week you.
Speaker 1: May recall my ode to soup season and my request that y'all send me recipes. Well, we heard from one carrot slice who puts oranges in soup.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 1: Monica Powers wrote quote listening to you while making soup for my restaurant, love your show, can't send you recipes because they're top secret.
Speaker 2: Okay, well thanks for nothing.
Speaker 1: Monica, anyone, anyone, bueller, supress, send them. Send me your delicious vegetarian soup recipes. Please, people not named Monica. You don't even have to work in a restaurant to be qualified. Send them. And while I'm asking for favors, you guys know that we love that you're listening, but we want you to get in the game every day too, So here's our good gameplay of the day. Please join the few loyal slices who have messaged us to tell us the ways they're making a difference in their little slice of the world. We are all trying not to catastrophize about the future, so it really helps to hear that there.
Speaker 2: Are good people everywhere doing their best.
Speaker 1: So thank you to Aaron Raw whose family is fighting back by playing women's sports, by supporting her eldest daughter's good friend who happens to be trans and by focusing on what they can do to spread real information. And to Pamela Mudway, who has deleted Twitter is reducing her reliance on Amazon by going directly to the sellers of the products that she frequently buys on Amazon and is volunteering for causes that matter to her. We love that shop local, support local. I heard this last year and it totally stuck with me. If you like walking around your neighborhood and seeing cute little stores, then you have to actually shop at those cute little stores where they won't exist anymore.
Speaker 2: So do that and speak up for folks.
Speaker 1: In public and online and anywhere else that marginalized folks are being mistreated.
Speaker 2: They need our support. And yes, if you can quit Twitter slash x, do it.
Speaker 1: I honestly hate telling y'all to follow me there or find info or vote on things there. I just haven't found a suitable replacement yet, and I gotta do my job. I got to get league team, athlete information, news updates, all that stuff, and until I find a replacement, I gotta stay there. But you can quit, so yeah, send us that, Send us how you're making a difference. And also, don't forget this trio needs a name. What do you want to call me? Alex and Misha let us know. Hit us up on email, good game at wondermedianetwork dot com, or leave us a voicemail eight seven two two O four fifty seventy and as always, don't forget to subscribe, Rate and review. It's super easy watch Finding a perfect little dog pawprint in the mud rating five out of five Good Boys Review. What a delight it is to stumble upon an unknown dog print perfectly preserved in the mud. You know, just snow on that a dog walked right where you're now walking, sometime between the current moment in time and the last big rain or windstorm. It's truly a small joy in life. Fossilize that shit. Now it's your turn.
Speaker 2: Rate and review. Thanks for listening, slices, see you tomorrow.
Speaker 1: Good Game, Jeff, Good Game, Lily Johannes, you the news, all of it right now, go away.
Speaker 2: I am still trying to disassociate Good Game with.
Speaker 1: Sarah Spain is an iHeart women's sports production in partnership with Deep Blue Sports and Entertainment. You can find us on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you get your podcasts. Production by Wonder Media Network, our producers are.
Speaker 2: Alex Azzie and Misha Jones.
Speaker 1: Our executive producers are Christina Everett, Jesse Katz, Jenny Kaplan, and Emily Rudder. Our editors are Emily Rudder, Britney Martinez, Grace Lynch and Lindsay Cradowell. Production assistants from Lucy Jones and I'm Your Host Sarah Spain