Speaker 1: Broadcasting live from the Abraham Lincoln Radio Studio the George Washington Broadcast Center, Jack Armstrong and Joe Caddy.
Speaker 2: Arm Strong, Armstrong and Strong, Welcome to a replay of the Armstrong and Getty Show.
Speaker 3: We're off all week long.
Speaker 2: We give a lot of thanks, we eat a lot, we watch a lot of football. We'll come back refreshed. But I hope you enjoyed this stuff. It's going to be really good.
Speaker 3: Some delicious leftovers if you will.
Speaker 4: The flavors have made friends overnight in the French Plus drop by Armstrong, Egety dot Calm, download podcasts, or grab any g T shirt.
Speaker 5: Frontier Airlines announced last week that it will add first class seating, but don't get too excited at Frontier. That just means oxygen masks. The Transportation Department announced last week that it will look into a new rule that would require airlines to compensate passengers for delays and rebook them for free on later flights home. While Southwest, we'll just start forwarding your mail.
Speaker 2: So you flew the other day, Katie, and you said you had some complaints we were going to bring up on the podcast. We haven't yet. What was your is there a short version of this, or do you need the whole podcast for that?
Speaker 6: I don't need the whole podcast, but it's a it's a little bit of a longer story.
Speaker 3: It was.
Speaker 6: Well, if you want it now, I can give it to you now. I was flying to visit my parents in Boise. So I flew out of Sacramento and was headed to Boise, where dense fog is common. We were fifty feet off the ground and all of a sudden, I just feel the plane start to go right back up. So we were about to land, and then we just start going right back up. Mind you, the entire time this is happening, the woman sitting next to me is hammer drunk, oh boy, hammer and.
Speaker 7: Talking like this, leaning over my lap.
Speaker 6: She put her drink on my tray table. I was ready, it was, it was. It was above and beyond and.
Speaker 3: Happy drunk, chatty drunk.
Speaker 6: Can't be drunk, chatty drunk, singing at the top of her lungs with her headphones in.
Speaker 3: Drunk wow wow.
Speaker 6: When the when the flight attendant came by to take all the trash, you know, before they land, she wouldn't give him her cocktail.
Speaker 3: Cause she wasn't done yet right, and so was drink or drink of choice?
Speaker 6: It was it was some I don't know it was hard liquor, but it was not something I was fast.
Speaker 7: Eddie is that'sh.
Speaker 3: That's a deep Bettye vodka?
Speaker 6: Maybe yeah, I think it was Eddie vodka something like that. So I get to enjoy more time with this woman because we went back up into the sky and the flight attendant comes on over and says, we saw some unexpected fog. We're gonna have to go refuel in Eugene, Oregon. Witches, yeah, it's forty five minutes to an hour in the opposite direction of where I'm trying to get.
Speaker 7: So we adventure that way.
Speaker 6: No more beverages, no water, no snacks, no alcohol because it was all gone.
Speaker 3: Apparently you could.
Speaker 2: Have landed where you were a celebrity because we're on kug y n Oh.
Speaker 6: We did land and we sat there for an hour and any.
Speaker 2: Letters one too many letters, kun k there you go.
Speaker 6: So yeah, we sat there for about an hour and a half they quote unquote.
Speaker 2: Refuel and a half, yeah, because they had to wait.
Speaker 3: For the fuel person to get there.
Speaker 6: Meanwhile, this woman, it's like the alcohol was just really starting to seep into our system because it was getting worse and worse.
Speaker 4: You know, I got to rewind just briefly, so you were you were within fifty feet of land. That sucks, but but there wasn't enough fuel to circle a couple of times.
Speaker 6: Or see, I'm calling bull s on this one because when we landed in Eugene.
Speaker 2: So you think the pilot's got a side piece in Oregon, is what you're thinking.
Speaker 6: I think that the pilot who just so happened to be a she could not land the plane in the fog and freaked out, what I think, because they were there were a lot of apologies going on as she was leaving the plane, and then a new pilot came on.
Speaker 2: She had a d appointment in Eugene. As I try heard that term for the first time the other day.
Speaker 7: She she had a.
Speaker 3: What de appointment?
Speaker 2: I'm using abbreviation, but I heard somebody use that term in casual conversation like that's a thing. Maybe it's a thing with the young people.
Speaker 3: I don't know. Yeah, she was tend to get some loving from a fella.
Speaker 6: Is that?
Speaker 3: Oh lord?
Speaker 7: Yeah, she was gonna go get the d.
Speaker 4: Close your eyes and set this jumbo down. All right, we're close enough, we appear to be close to Boise. Let's this is what you gotta say. You gotta say. We're gonna give you the option. We'll be fifty feet off the ground if you want to roll out the door and just take your chances.
Speaker 3: Otherwise we're going to Eugene.
Speaker 2: So I might I want to jump out and just don't roll for a while. I'll be okay, and then I'll get up my feet dous myself off.
Speaker 6: When we were sitting there, I've never come so close to pulling the emergency hatch and just going down that slide, I was, I.
Speaker 3: Was over it.
Speaker 2: Did they keep you on the plane the whole time? Yep, that's the part that I understand. And Tim Sanders and I talked about airlines last time he was on his whole thing was they're the safest they've ever been. And I'm my argument is make them this much less safe, since I'm not the least bit worried about them crashing. If it's going to improve the whole airline thing and the current system they've got where they don't get dinged for uh late takeoffs or landings or this sort of stuff. If they keep you on the plane is a bad system. Let me off the freaking plaine. I understand things happen sometime, but let me off the damn plane. The keeping you on the plane is torture.
Speaker 7: M Yeah.
Speaker 6: And after the fiasco, we were sitting on the on the tarmac waiting to take off again. They get us refueled. We get in the air and the drunk woman she had fallen asleep for a little bit, so I thought we were safe.
Speaker 2: She woke back up as a as a lifelong drunk, that is the worst. Once you've yeah, yeah, you had your you had your your buzz going. You'd peaked it just for landing, and then you're gonna keep it going where and you get home or whatever, and it's now it's now. Now you're past the side where it's just you feel sick and your head hurts, and oh that's the worst.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 7: See, I thought that it was over, but she woke up peaked.
Speaker 3: She was still right all the way in it.
Speaker 6: She asked me if we were in Boise about three hundred and eighty six times, and then she put her headphones back in and proceeeded to wrap and drop thirteen n bombs.
Speaker 3: Wow, yoh?
Speaker 6: Was this a person a POC or a cool Nope? She was just a white brunette lady. How old boy, that's bold mid forties maybe. And she had you know, the claw nails and she was clicking them.
Speaker 3: The whole time. I uld never do that again. Yeah, that was often just you doing that there. Yeah.
Speaker 6: So we landed, and I promised everyone that I love that I'm taking horseback whenever I travel ever.
Speaker 2: Whatever it takes, all those things that you mentioned about her, I think the clicking the nails is the one that would have driven me to she was.
Speaker 7: She was just everything awful.
Speaker 2: Trying to look on an emergency door so I can be arrested by the TSA just to get away from her. Yeah.
Speaker 4: I find the wrapping along and dropping in bombs to be quite extraordinary.
Speaker 3: What were the other passengers doing? The guy in front of us was black. I was like, oh, wow, is this gonna be Wow? Did he ever turn around like yo, what's the deal here?
Speaker 6: He turned around and looked at her like each time that it happened, but didn't say anything.
Speaker 5: Wow.
Speaker 4: That's because he was probably a reasonable song said sunk idiot.
Speaker 7: Yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 3: I sware.
Speaker 6: I thought she was going to get us deep planed and Eugene, though, you know, they one person acts up and then they get everybody off the plane and it turns into all I thought that was coming to well.
Speaker 2: The air waitresses flying planes as they should know. I was going to say to the pilots, not know how miserable it is to be in a plane for an hour and a half when you could be walking around in an airport. I've done it for longer than I did it for three hours once at Burbank. It's just it's just horrible.
Speaker 3: Sitting in everybody jammed in the summer.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, yeah, yeah, there's no fresh air in the line for the bathroom gets long, and the bathroom gets filled up and they won't they don't send the cart out usually.
Speaker 6: It's just it's horrible, full flight. Baby's crying the whole nine. So yeah, all Oj said was ain't nobody leaving this room? And they got him for kidnapping.
Speaker 4: To keep you on a damn airplane for hours and say if you get off, we're gonna arrest you.
Speaker 2: Come on and again, Yeah, it's got it's got to do with stupid regulations. And rules that I just wish they would change so it didn't.
Speaker 3: Have to happen. I have the wrong incentives and distances.
Speaker 4: I understand the logistics of completely unloading the plane, then loading you again, trying to find everybody and make sure everybody is who they don't. You got to run the boarding passes again and all that stuff. I get it, But you got to figure it out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, I know Pete boot edge Edge is working on that right now. And I don't know how I feel about that because it's in fear. Are you a free market where he could compete and but it doesn't seem to be barrier of entry? Is too expensive for for somebody to get in?
Speaker 8: Is that?
Speaker 2: I mean at some point you're not a free market because of that, aren't you?
Speaker 3: Boot Edge Edge edge Edge?
Speaker 4: They say, will he vanish from the national political landscape or is he.
Speaker 2: One of the rock stars to be nominee in twenty eight on what basis?
Speaker 3: He's a good because he's known and he's a pleasant looking fella. He's a he's a good talker, he's good in an interview and that sort of thing. Our politics is so stupid. Well, I have no doubt about that.
Speaker 7: Boot edge edge right edge edge.
Speaker 3: Katie, was this plain full? You could have moved?
Speaker 7: It was a one hundred percent full flight.
Speaker 2: Why don't almost every flight I'm on is very rarely.
Speaker 3: I'm not on a.
Speaker 2: Flight that's not one hundred percent full anymore? Why don't more people drinkers bring on the little bottles? I know they make the announce every time that you're not allowed to do that, But how they're gonna catch me?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 2: Or a pepsi? I wait one minute for the person to walk, go in, I pour my pepsi? Does that happen a lot among drinkers? I don't drink, so I don't know, be a lot cheaper.
Speaker 3: Sure, Yeah, I don't.
Speaker 4: You can't get liquid through security, well, you little.
Speaker 2: You'd have to buy it once you're inside the Yeah, but you can buy it when you're inside the whatever you call it past security right there?
Speaker 3: Yeah, the terminal. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Just of crimes that I don't have a moral problem with. That'd be one of them. If my passenger gets out a little bottle and pours it in their coke to save themselves eleven dollars on their drink.
Speaker 4: I don't No, I don't care as long as they don't like start singing along and rapping and.
Speaker 3: Clicking your nails. Oh oh, that's so awful. Not awful.
Speaker 7: Try that, Try that for about five hours.
Speaker 8: Guys, Armstrong and Getty shot.
Speaker 3: We're living in a skinny Oprah world again.
Speaker 2: We've been living in Oprah's world for many decades now, and sometimes it's fat Oprah world and sometimes it's skinny Oprah world.
Speaker 3: And she's skinny again.
Speaker 2: You know how old Oprah is? Off the top of your head. How old's Oprah Winfrey sixty? She's seventy years old. I didn't realize that. But anyway, she had some special last night about weight loss. She quit weight Watchers last week. She's been a weight Watchers on the board and spokesman for decades, and she quit because she wanted to do this special that aired last night and be able to talk openly about anything weight related and not have a conflict to interest with the company she works for. Because she's now on some of those drugs. She won't say if it's those Zembaker, Wagovia or which one, but she's on one of them to lose her weight.
Speaker 3: And what was the other thing I was gonna mention weight weight loss. She's skinny again, and she's seventy years old, and she oh, I thought this was kind of funny.
Speaker 2: She was on Jimmy Kimmel the other night and he asked, did you cryed when you told them you were leaving Wetwatchers?
Speaker 3: She said no, but they almost did.
Speaker 2: I'll bet they did, losing their most important, biggest spokesperson. Anyway, here's a little oprah from her special last night.
Speaker 9: I guess I took on the shame that the world gave to me for twenty five years. Making fun of my weight was National Sport nineteen ninety. I saw myself on the cover of TV guides Best and Worst Dressless, and I remember thinking, oh, look, there I am on the cover.
Speaker 3: Mister Blackwell, the taste maker of.
Speaker 9: The time, called me bumpy, lumpy and downright dumpy. I was ridiculed on every late night talk show for twenty five years and tabloid covers for twenty five years. So in an effort to combat all the shame, I starved myself for nearly five months and then wheeled out that wagon a fat and after losing sixty seven pounds on liquid diet, the net today I started to gain it back.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's what she's talking about, is the whole yo yo thing, or you lose it and then you gain back, often more than you lost. And how that's common for people. I don't wonder her point is there, though.
Speaker 8: So.
Speaker 2: People ridiculed you for being fat, and so you're not going with the I felt the shame, So you're not going with this. So I'm just accepting who I am. You're going with the I tried a different drug since weight Watchers didn't work anymore.
Speaker 3: Now I'm skinnykin and happy.
Speaker 2: So I'm not exactly sure how that fits in with what you just said.
Speaker 4: Well, her overall point is that obesity is a medical condition. We need to remove the shame from it and treat it as a medical condition.
Speaker 2: I wonder if she's about to one of these companies is about to announce her as the spokesperson like she did weight Watchers forever. I mean, she's a hell a smart business woman. She realizes. I mean, weight Watchers was the thing that and slim fast back in the day, But the thing now is Ozimpia and the GOVA or whatever the name of those things are close enough. That's the hot thing. Now she might she might immediately be uh the face of that or the butt of that, if you will, I will not.
Speaker 4: I completely believe that she her thing is business, business success, that that's what animates her. I can't imagine if I had her money giving a single moment's thought to cutting another deal for anything. But that's obviously who she is, so I guess that's possible.
Speaker 3: I also think she has a conscience.
Speaker 4: I think she's brilliant, But I also think she cares about certain issues, and I think she wants to be a crusader for Like I said, this is a medical issue, not a shamed thing.
Speaker 3: Let's treat it as such.
Speaker 4: I don't know, is it.
Speaker 3: Do people feel ashamed? I mean, like I I, I don't know. I don't.
Speaker 2: I don't if I feel ashamed. I mean, it's maddening the lack of self control and seeing the result on the scale.
Speaker 3: I don't know if I feel ashamed about it.
Speaker 4: But people embarrassment about being seriously overweight, Yeah.
Speaker 3: Some.
Speaker 2: It's depressing that the fact you get that whole set point and thing that we've discussed before.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 2: I wonder if this is going to be a new chapter in the whole weight thing nationwide, everybody's gonna guarantee it. You think it's Do you think we're into a new era?
Speaker 3: Yeah? I think they are still well.
Speaker 4: I know they're still doing the math, and doctors and epidemiologists and physicists and truck drivers whatever are all putting their heads together and try to figure out, Okay, if we have these people on these drugs, which are quite expensive now but that'll probably come down, how much does that save going forward in diabetes care, heart disease care, heart attacks and strokes, joint wearing out joints. I've had a couple of joints where out of this arthritis, not weight, but it's expensive. So yeah, I think I don't know if it's going to change a little or a lot, but it'll definitely change the way weight is dealt with now.
Speaker 2: I wonder if like half of us will be on one of those drugs in five years, certainly could be.
Speaker 3: Yeah, oh yeah, yeah.
Speaker 4: And if only more could be done preventing kids from becoming obese, Yeah, that's another challenge.
Speaker 1: Jack Armstrong and Joe Armstrong and Getty show.
Speaker 4: There was a great editorial in the Wall Street Journal by a bloke by the name of Brad McDowell who said DEI got me sacked from my nursing job. It didn't matter that my critical Facebook posts made no reference to the hospital I worked. And he says, it's fine to oppose DEI as long as you keep it to yourself. The moment you speak out, you have a target on your back. He made the mistake of questioning DEI on his personal social media account again that had no indication of employment whatsoever. The hospital where I worked fired me within days. Now, this guy was not just a nurse. He's been in the profession for a very long time. He's a nursing supervisor. He was a big part of the whole nursing department at the Meritis Medical Center in Hagerstown, Maryland. Like many states, Maryland has been foisting DEI courses on medical pros for several years. Since twenty twenty two, it's required that all healthcare professionals take implicit bias training, which of course is Neo Marxist training in critical race theory, and they go in. He goes into the history of it a little bit. But I took the first session of the course in July twenty three.
Speaker 3: This is going to sound familiar to a lot of you.
Speaker 4: I was bombarded with evidence free claims that implicit bias has caused a crisis of maternal mortality in black women. The course ignored the complex actors that contribute to higher black maternal mortality, including comorbidities, while defining any death from any cause after a year of giving birth as maternal mortality a logical stretch at best. Overall, the course implied that white nurses like me are killing Black mothers. I was supposed to internalize this message and somehow apply it to the management of my team.
Speaker 3: Yeah, even if you bought it, what were you supposed to do?
Speaker 4: Then? In January, Meritis sent me materials for another DEI course for hospital leaders. The material asserted, among other things, that the US is quote built on an ideology of white supremacy that justifies policies, practices, and structures which results in social arrangements of subordination from color through power and white privilege.
Speaker 2: Man, I gotta tell you, I wouldn't walk away from my job over this, but it would be pretty hard to sit down and have to sign off on the United States is built on white supremacy f you.
Speaker 4: Yeah, the fraudulent racist clap trap fraud garbage of Ebram x Kendy in the whole critical race theory.
Speaker 3: Folks.
Speaker 2: Wow, it's unbelievable that this is actually occurring, where you have to sit there and listen to somebody tell you the United States has built in white supremacy. You have to swallow that to keep your job. That's it, and you have to repeat it to me. You have to admit it to keep your job.
Speaker 3: I don't think I could say it out loud.
Speaker 4: Get on your knees. This is a struggle session. Repeat the Communist manifesto or you'll be beaten. Anyway, so this guy says, I quickly decided I did. I wouldn't spread these hateful messages to the nurses under my supervision.
Speaker 3: I did not attend the course and wasn't punished for it.
Speaker 4: Weeks later received an email instructing me to a register for an in person in implicit biot. He declined to do so again, but the mounting politicization of the workforce workplace frustrated me. So on September seventh, here you go, this is the fireable offense. I posted what I thought was an innocuous message to my Facebook page quote. No employer has the right to invade the unconscious spaces of its employees' minds in an attempt to reprogram into thinking certain ways. If your employer signs you up for unconscious bias aka implicit bias training, then they are doing exactly that. His page doesn't link him Emeritus. He didn't mention the hospital by name, didn't even mention a hospital.
Speaker 3: I didn't even mention the courses either.
Speaker 4: All I did, he writes, was criticized the idea that people should be forced to accept a hateful worldview. That was my mistake speaking out publicly, and he was dragged into a meeting.
Speaker 3: It was pretty clear he was on the ropes.
Speaker 4: And then at the second meeting, Meritis vice president of Team Member Services Scott sells that he handed down my sentence. He provided me with a document that cited my post and referred to other posts that quote.
Speaker 3: Could be reasonably viewed as offensive or were misleading or false.
Speaker 2: Wow, just the idea at all of being called in at your work and them saying we've got a couple of your Twitter posts or Facebook posts we'd like to show you here geez, that alone is wow. Unless I specifically name the business and say they're committing crimes or something, What the hell? Why are you even looking at my Facebook?
Speaker 4: So in a meeting where he was fired, he writes, emeritus representative repeatedly said I had waded into a touchy subject.
Speaker 3: That's a quote. You waited that into a touchy subject. You're the one who waded into a touchy subject. Exactly.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you're flying his wing man. You're like the Blue Angels. He says, That's exactly my point. DEI is inherently divisive and discriminatory to boot. No hospital or medical provider should touch something so touchy, much less fire someone for daring to question it. I hope this guy gets fifty job offers. I really do, I immediately.
Speaker 2: I always have trouble with this, with with suing for getting fired, because I think it's way too hard to fire people. In the modern world. It should be easier to fire. But so does he have any sort of case for wrongful termination?
Speaker 4: I don't know anything about Maryland employment. I suspect very strong heat. Does that'll be interesting to see, I wonder? And then in a related story, and this just absolutely gladdens my heart. A group of sixteen college athletes have launched a lawsuit against the nc double A for allowing transathletes to compete against them and being forced to use male locker room with transgender swimmer Leah Thomas, who still has quote full male genitalia. The sixteen female litigants are charging that the NCUBA quote committed institutionalized cheating and discrimination by supporting and attempting to include Thomas. It alleges that up to three hundred college women were forced to use the same locker rooms and showering facilities that Thomas used during his time on the women's swim team at the University of Pennsylvania. That's so crazy. We will look back. Well, I'm looking like I don't need to look back. A lot of people will look back on this era with jaw agape and astonishment that people could be led so far afield by the clap trap of the radical gender theory crowd.
Speaker 2: But if you're like a nineteen year old girl swimmer, and I know this is happening in high schools too underage, but just some nineteen year old girl and in the locker room, you're just supposed to accept that naked schlong over there, Well that's a woman. Oh okay, Well, even if you buy that argument that it's a woman, I'm still looking at a man's unit like two feet away from me.
Speaker 3: It's not eul.
Speaker 4: Well, and back to the communist struggle sessions. That is precisely the sort of thing they used to break your spirit. Look at that fully intact man and say that's a woman.
Speaker 3: It's not a woman. Say it, Say that's a woman. And when you say, all right, that's a woman, they know they've broken you.
Speaker 2: So I got a headline from the Washington Post for you before we take a quick break.
Speaker 3: I think I think I know where you're going to be on this.
Speaker 2: Four years after the toilet paper shortage of twenty twenty, bday converts say they're never going back.
Speaker 3: You're a be data. I'm I'm ob original bidet. I don't know if I've ever used a bidet. I don't think I have.
Speaker 4: Not a bidet goes by that. I don't praise that technology. Jack a beday a day keeps the something or other away.
Speaker 3: I don't know what. Well, it's comfort probably best not to mention. But so what what?
Speaker 2: What are we are? Your top two selling points of the bidet cleanliness Really Okay, so you think it's more comfort, Well, this is such an I know I'm not comfortable.
Speaker 4: With this conversation because it will inevitably get into toity talking.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna want the show to be there. How can I'm not going there? So we're talking. If we end up there, I guess you took us there.
Speaker 4: Oh that's like saying I want to talk about pitching, but not baseball.
Speaker 3: What the hell are you talking about.
Speaker 2: I've never used a bedet, and I didn't know what the selling point was, or the upside or the why why switch from what I've been doing for my whole life?
Speaker 4: If I'm on vacation, I can't wait to get home. Really for the gentle comfort of my bathroom equipment?
Speaker 3: Is it warm water? Depends you have settings? Wow, adjust it to your comfort.
Speaker 2: I don't think that's what a bidet probably sounds like. Let's try, Michael, Okay, maybe I'll look into it.
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 3: I'm looking for houses right now.
Speaker 2: Maybe I get there, I'll put that on my list of things that's got to have to car garagea end of a day.
Speaker 4: So I'm hoping This is the end of the discussion, So I'll throw this in now. You don't need an actual bidet. You just need one of those bidet toilet seat refitting thingies.
Speaker 3: They work great. Okay. You can spend fifty bucks and you climb up on the exactly you climb up on the sink. Squat like it, you know, squatter. No, No, I'll look into that home depot or someplace and I can install it myself. You could start there, yes, okay, cool.
Speaker 2: Quick question for you, what if you happen to miss this unbelievable radio program.
Speaker 4: The answer is easy, friends, just download our podcast, Armstrong and Getty on demand. It's the podcast version of the broadcast show, available anytime, any day every single podcast platform known demand.
Speaker 2: Download it now, Armstrong and Getty on Demand.
Speaker 10: As I mentioned last week, I went out and bought bigger dress shirts because I was tired of the embarrassment of the shirts that used to fit pulling apart in the center where the buttons are so that my skin showed.
Speaker 2: I had to start wearing an undershirt because my skin would show where my shirt was pulled apart. Because I don't fit in the shirt anymore, so I just went ahead and bought bigger shirts. I didn't want to cave into buying bigger shirts because it's a bit of a surrender, but I had been thinking for six months, well, I just got to get back on the track here eating wise, and then I'll get back into those shirts.
Speaker 3: Let's not go nuts and buy new shirts. But I just gave up. And having given up, i'd eating a donut and a cookie today.
Speaker 2: But there is something going on with obesity, I definitely believe now.
Speaker 3: I don't know where you are on this, but part of it is choice and lifestyle, no doubt about it.
Speaker 2: We eat more and more crap than we ever used to, were less active than we were before. I mean, there's just no doubt about that. We eat out all the time, but processed food. There's lots of bad choices that we're making. But I'm not sure many people could get as big as a lot of the really big people are forty years ago. Know if you could have done it, if you tried, And man, I hear you talking, Yeah, there's something going on. There's so maybe it is not. This is the sort of thing I would have mocked in previous years, but now they're saying do not call people obese. Call them people suffering with obesity like it's a thing, like it's high blood pressure or liver disease. You have obesity, that person has obesity. I don't know if that's the right term, but there's something going on. If you go to a Walmart or I don't know, in all you be fay, the number of people in there that are like four hundred pounds is shocking.
Speaker 4: I think a lot of that verbal ju jitsu gets a little tiresome and is silly at times. Call them a person experiencing temporarily addressed addresslessness, I mean, instead of saying the homeless. On the other hand, I wouldn't call somebody with cancer, cancery or you know, like they're a sort of person.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 3: And then I'll go through a couple of things in the right bill rights.
Speaker 2: But before you start to be concerned that I've gone soft, which I have if you poke your finger in my middle, but like, uh, in terms of my approach, I will become much more hard asked here toward the end of this because the example they use in the newspaper I think is just ridiculous.
Speaker 3: Oh, something to look forward to. But the bill of rights.
Speaker 2: The eight rights outlined in the declaration would include the right to accurate, clear, trusted and accessible information.
Speaker 3: Do we not have that? Now? The right to how would what does that mean mean? How would you enforce it? Well?
Speaker 2: This would Well, I'll save the most troubling one for the end. The rights is all mumbo jumbo back to you.
Speaker 3: That's clever.
Speaker 2: The right to accessible obesity treatment and settings that allow for privacy using equipment and scans that are made for people of that size. That's the idea that they don't take you to the zoo to away you. They got a scale right handle it there so you don't have to, you know, get loaded up. They pick you up with the big tarp. They put you in a flatbed truck, they drive you down the highway.
Speaker 4: They shouldn't have to coat you with Chrisco to get you in the MRI machine.
Speaker 2: But they use the examples of chairs that are big enough for people to sit on, blood pressure cuffs that are big enough, that sort of thing. Okay, at some point, you just got to meet people where they are sure. I mean you got to just to admit where we are and a bunch of other things. But here's the one that how would you enforce it? And I don't think this is going in the right direction. The right to respect? How are you going to put in the Bill of Rights with force of law the right to respect? And here's the example they give in the USA today. Here's a woman. It doesn't say how overright she was, but she must have been really overweight because she lost seventy pounds before she went in to the doctor, and the doctor told her she really needs to lose weight. But she tells the story of going in with her hip pain. She'd already lost seventy pounds with a great deal of work and feeling better than she'd felt in a long time. But she goes in to see the specialist with her hip pain, and the first thing the specialist says, looking at her, says, you need to lose some weight. I didn't have the courage to say. And then she started crying, and she said, I didn't have the courage to say. I'm crying because you're being such a jerk. And then the USA Today goes about how people are treated like this all the time. If you're really really overweight and you go to the hip pain specialist or the knee guy or the ankle guy. They got to be able to say you should lose some weight, don't they.
Speaker 4: The idea that that's disrespectful is bizarre to me as a guy, I can tell you practically the precise weight at least till now, and it could get worse that I have to be under or else my blood pressure goes.
Speaker 3: Up to levels that are unacceptable. It's a weight thing.
Speaker 4: And the idea that it's disrespectful for my doctor to point that out to me is again, it's beyond and wise.
Speaker 3: It's bizarre. I can't believe somebody would assert that.
Speaker 2: Well, they go on with many paragraphs in the USA today and people having to suffer that sort of indignity every single day.
Speaker 3: We're not gonna do.
Speaker 2: It's not gonna do any of us any favors if the doctor keeps the most likely cause of our problems to himself and acts like it's something else.
Speaker 4: Yeah, wow, what a troubling notion. That whole fat acceptance movement and this sounds like it's at least allied with it is just it's unsupportable by logic or medical necessity.
Speaker 3: No, I'm mockery or or you know, assailing people for their lack of control in a medical setting or something like that.
Speaker 4: I mean, nobody would want that, of course, but I don't get the sense that that's happening. If you sit on a chair and it breaks, I understand your embarrassment and perhaps physical anguish, but I don't I don't know.
Speaker 3: The whole thing is just trying to hard.
Speaker 2: I'm not sure where I come down on the whole chair thing. I don't know about a right. Rights are a right to this? Come on, if you have a lot of patients who are this wide, and I'm holding my arms way apart because a lot of people are that wide, then what are you doing with the chair that's this wide? Where are they supposed to sit? I mean, let's just again meet people where they are. You got lots of patients, their asses this big, and you got a chair this big. Just seems odd to me. But again, I don't know about a bill of rights. You know, they shouldn't move when you walk across a room or anything like that.
Speaker 3: But Michael, what's a what's a food?
Speaker 4: Oh wait a second, this is a little mad libby, But what's what's a food that starts with G?
Speaker 3: Extra points? If it's gr.
Speaker 7: Gummy bears, guacam Holy, gummy bears.
Speaker 2: No wonder you have diabetes. Your first thought is gummy bears. Wow, you're a grown ass man.
Speaker 3: Huh, here's your h Granola? What Katie? Katie? Granola? Green beans?
Speaker 4: Green?
Speaker 2: Green beans is a goblin. I'm with you, Michael. I would to come up with something for me before I had to come up with green beans.
Speaker 4: I like walking on all right, So here's your uh, here's your obesity Bill of Rights and why reinvented completely.
Speaker 3: Let's go on. Let's base it on our current bill of rights.
Speaker 4: Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of rotisseries, or prohibiting the free eclaire thereof, or bridging the freedom of spatulas or of the pizza, or the right of the people to peace empily barbecue, and to position the government for redress of guacamole.
Speaker 1: There you go, Jack Armstrong and Joe The Armstrong and Getty Show.