Speaker 1: Okay, guys, here are my dates for the High and Mighty Tour. In August, you can find me in Red Bank, New Jersey, Montclair, New Jersey, and Calgary that's Canada. And September I will be in Santa Barbara, San Diego, New York City, Philly and New Haven, Connecticut. October is Atlanta, Baltimore, Saginaw, Michigan, Pittsburgh, Toronto, Boise, Idaho and Spokane. And then in November I'll be in San Francisco. I'm coming to Salt Lake City, Austin, Houston, Dallas Babies, I'll be there. And then in December I am closing out my tour in Denver and Vancouver. So get your tickets at Chelseahandler dot com for the High and Mighty Tour.
Speaker 2: Hi, Chelsea, are you in Croatia?
Speaker 3: Hi?
Speaker 1: Hi, I don't know where I am. I'm getting bounced around Europe like a party favorite. That's what I feel like.
Speaker 2: Are you so you look freshley showered? Are you like direct from the beach? Where have you been today? Because I know it's later for you.
Speaker 1: I was just at the beach. I was in the water. I actually took a water slide or I was on a water slide. I don't think I took a water slide, yes, And then I just came I came home, and I took a show show, and I'm getting ready for our group dinner.
Speaker 3: I love it.
Speaker 2: That's like the best part of the day during a education is like you're all warm and toasty from the sun. You're getting all cleaned up to go out. I love that part of the day.
Speaker 1: And I'm reading the best book for our readers. I'm reading The Calamity Club by Catherine Stockett, which is fucking awesome and a page turner. So if people are looking for a book and haven't read that, get that. You will like it. It's a plus for everybody. What's it about? She wrote The Help and so she is like from the South, and it's about a girl who is in an orphanage and her mother abandons her, and like the saga of what happens, and then this other family, this other woman kind of ends up crossing paths with the girl and the orphanage while she's volunteering at the orphanage, and it blooms into this bigger, bigger saga.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 1: There's a lot of twists and turns, and it's really compelling. I just I don't want to give anything away because I'm only like three quarters of the way through, so I don't know what plot points to give away. But it's a great read, so I highly recommend.
Speaker 2: I'm reading The Strangers by Bellbird, and on your recommendation, I believe right. Oh yeah, we're about the It's like the memoir that's popping off right now and the husband leaves.
Speaker 4: Yes.
Speaker 1: Even though I haven't read that book, I listened to her interview on Oprah, and I felt like I had read the book just from that interview. So no, I didn't read the book, but everyone's reading it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Yeah, it's great. Highly recommend. Well, our guest today was very fun.
Speaker 1: Yes, our guest today is an Emmy nominated actress, you know, from The Good Place, A League of their Own and our newest project which is called Five Star Weekend. It's out today on Hulu. Please welcome Darcy Carden. We have Darcy here today. Darcy Carden is our guest today. I watched the first two episodes of your newest show, Oh yeah, which is called Five Star Weekend with I watched two episodes last night, and then they only sent me Peacock does this kind of shit.
Speaker 3: All that damnit Peacock.
Speaker 1: Whenever I have a guest on, you know, I get a special link and then I get to watch it, and then I'm like, I go to watch the third episode and they only gave me two episodes, so I have to watch like regular people when it comes out. What's the point of having a podcast if it's act like a regular person?
Speaker 3: Two episodes is like worse than zero.
Speaker 1: No, but it's great. It's really good, and it made me wonder. It made me think because so it's a Jennifer Garner is a widow in this show. I'm not going to give anything away because I don't think I have anything to give away. And all of you girls come together. She brings five girlfriends or four girlfriend girlfriend four girlfriends from every different phase of her.
Speaker 3: Life childhood, her college best friend, or mom best friend, and like her new best friend.
Speaker 1: She's kind of like a Martha Store influencer type. Right. Yeah, So, and you guys all kind of come together, and I like this concept a lot. Ay, these are kind of the shows of the moment. Yeah, you go to a like a beautiful location for had you been to Nantucket now before we shot this? Okay, so Nantucket is a very very specific slices slice of Americana.
Speaker 2: I am very curious, though, do people really call it the tuck?
Speaker 3: I don't think. I don't think so.
Speaker 1: I don't think. I don't think that was the first time.
Speaker 3: This is just my character say it? Or do other people say it? One other person?
Speaker 1: Two of you say it? Yeah, I like the way my laundry smells. Well, I did your laundry, so you're welcome.
Speaker 3: I have no problem.
Speaker 1: I can continue doing it. I do it about once a month, thank you. Yeah.
Speaker 3: I think my character Brook, who's sort of like a little like desperate and a little like uncool, she keeps calling it.
Speaker 1: The Is that how you play that as like desperate and uncool? That what you were thinking.
Speaker 3: I think she's just like she's trying so hard. She's really trying, like she she wants to fit in. She loves Jen Garner's characters named Hollis, and she just sort of like worships her and wants to fit in and cannot believe that she got the invite to this weekend.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so excited that even though and you have your own personal story that I'm sure will be uncovered as the series. I can't imagine what might happen there. But on the subject of going on girls trips with strange girls that you don't know, yo, let's discuss that. I have a couple of friends that will not go on all girls' trips. They're like, I won't do that, it's too much drama every single time, and I'm like, I don't. As a I'm a I think at this point, a semi mature woman who can pretty much. I like like the unknown. I like dipping into a situation where I don't know anyone for a short period of time, but I don't need to know anyone. I don't feel like I don't have any anxiety around that.
Speaker 3: Cool.
Speaker 1: If someone annoys me, I just to avoid them, you know. And I would never be a person that would get involved in like drama, the drama.
Speaker 3: I just wouldn't.
Speaker 1: I would just I would removed myself from that situation.
Speaker 3: I'm totally with you. And yeah, I think I think that trips like that can really stir up a lot of anxiety for people. But yeah, I think it is like I'm exactly the same as you, like, like I wouldn't get involved in the drama. If it happens, I can just sort of like, step, God, have I ever gotten involved in the drama?
Speaker 1: I mean, of course, yeah, right. We're women, right, we're human, right, so at some point we were involved in the dra at least.
Speaker 3: We like chose a side, or you like just kind of don't like someone like they rub you the wrong way. That happens. That can happen. But yeah, when I think of girls' trips, if anything, like, if there is someone that's rubbing you the wrong way, you probably bond with someone else over it, and it like strength exactly right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, But in present day, if you were invited on a trip, if you're like, say one of somebody you admire a lot, okay, but didn't spend a huge amount of time with, and she's like, okay, five of us are going away. You won't know any of the other and you won't know any of the others. What would be your reaction, I would.
Speaker 3: Okay, the fact that you said, like someone you admire a lot, somebody that I like, somebody I love, somebody I want to spend more time.
Speaker 1: Dion called you, She's like, hey, I have four girlfriends, and I loved your work in this and I thought you'd be a great addition.
Speaker 3: Honestly, I would totally go for the story for the like, it's not going to be even if I get there and it's a weird three days or whatever, it don't be not worth it.
Speaker 1: Yea. So maybe that's too much of a right, right, But.
Speaker 3: Okay, So even if it's like even if it's like somebody that's in your life that maybe you don't know that well, but you're like, I like this person or I want to get to know them better, which I feel like I've been in that situation. I did go on a girl's trip with like four best friends and I was like the other one and it was great, but it was I definitely was like, I, you know, I was like a late invite. I was like, it's kind of scary, yeah, and it was somebody else may have cancer exactly totally and definitely yeah, I felt like an outsider, but not in a way that was that like ruined the trip. I was just sort of like getting to know them.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and you have to get up to speed on their personal stories and side jokes.
Speaker 3: And kind of figure out who I really close and yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: I like that position too. I like the study of kind of like sociology in those situations. And I like pairing up, you know, like finding like if it's a larger group, like I like finding your little clique me too, and like having Like I went on this trip to Antarctica and like five of us formed this like group.
Speaker 3: I love it, like a huge and it.
Speaker 1: Was like one hundred and ninety people, but just five of us were like, oh, you know, and that was really fun.
Speaker 3: I love that.
Speaker 1: I mean I haven't spoken to any of those people well actually one yeah, yeah, that's all you mean, or two too, actually, but but I love it. Right now we're like, like what other text?
Speaker 3: And I don't. I hope this doesn't sound like toxic or whatever. But one thing I love about trips like that is finding your person or your five people or whatever where you can kind of like look at them and be like yeah, like roll oh, this is a podcast, so like roll your eyes at the person that's maybe being annoying or whatever. I mean, you know, like that not trauma bonding, but that thing where you're you have.
Speaker 1: You're commiserating together about the nonsense, loves coming out yeah, I like that too. I like when you can look at it. It's like when you're in church. Not that I've been to church recently, but when you're in you can remember and the pastor says something absolutely ridiculous, and I'm okay, that's nothing to do with present day society. And you lock eyes with someone else and you're both like, what are we doing? I love that?
Speaker 3: Like marry that, yes exactly, that's like bonding.
Speaker 1: But you're already married. Well, yell, that's not legally yet, although I'm sure polygamy will become legalized in this administration. So just hold on tight, hold onto your pants. You're married, but you don't have any children.
Speaker 3: That's right.
Speaker 1: Okay, so.
Speaker 3: Dog, dead dog, dog but dead no children, dead dog.
Speaker 1: You get another dog to replace.
Speaker 3: The dead dog. Well we were thinking too.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm in pursuit of my second dog right now, just because Doug has no social life. I mean he does, but it's limited, right. He wants someone, and he wants a lot of action, and he has a lot of energy, and I like, you know, I can throw something about three or forture and then yeah, and then I'm like, I'm not going to the park with him. You know what I mean, let's be realistic.
Speaker 3: So tiny p s A.
Speaker 2: If you do get two dogs, don't get lettermates because this is actually huge in okay, right because everyone thinks, oh, their siblings. I was thinking out we did this and apparent like they when they were little they had like sibling rivalry, like littermate syndrome, and they would be these tiny cute puppies and then like trying to rip each other's throats out. But now they're fine and they love each other. But we called multiple trainers and they were like, oh, you could just get rid of one of them. There's not really anything you can Oh my god. And Bernice, they were they bonded pair, a bonded pair already.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they were together. So I got them they were because I went to get one and they were like, well we have a brother sister combo pladder.
Speaker 3: That's kind Yeah, we're like looking for we're already bonded. But even if they're older, Like we keep thinking, if we want to, and how often do you see like a bonded pair, Please don't split them up? But so often people are just looking for one. So we figure if we want to, we might as well, wait for a bonded pair, but maybe not mates. Avoid avoid litter mates. But if they already are bonded.
Speaker 1: Them well, Also, somebody told me not to get two males since Doug is such an off a male. Don't get another male, get a female. So, Darcy, you don't have any children. But I read that you ate your pieces hair. What is this about?
Speaker 3: That's so funny. I'm gonna cry my niece, whom I love so much. My like, I have some really great nieces and nephews.
Speaker 1: How many do you have?
Speaker 3: I have on my side my side, I have two for six and on my husband's side, I have two four, six, eight.
Speaker 1: Wow, and they're great. So you have fourteen nieces and nephews. Yes, wow, that trumps me. I only have eight. Well that's a lot, but it is a lot. Yeah, but I'm not married because great, you would have more. That's my main reason. Yeah.
Speaker 3: So my little niece. Okay, but let me just think of what this was. I love her so much, I need her, I love her. I'm like I want to eat her or was she now? But this was like this was like it is the best age. I'm going to see her this weekend. But okay, so like little tiny baby infant, and she she kept getting this one little knot in the back of her head like this one little these hairs that would just like not up and you couldn't rush through them. And so my sister and her husband this was her first haircut. It was just like not even a haircut. It was truly like like that bing and so they cut it off and then I think truly just to like there's something about wanting to eat her, and then there's also something about wanting to make my sister laugh. I just put it in my so you just okay, I got it. But I mean that's kind of gross.
Speaker 1: Well I mean, how gross can a four year old's hair be?
Speaker 3: No, and this was like her face, So then it's like it's pure she's like six months old or that's your hair. And I'm sure, like we do weirder things to like, you know, we what are we putting in our skin? You know what I mean?
Speaker 1: Oh? No, our hair is dirty even but at least kids are protected like their skin and their hair, their breath, everything is fine for a couple of years, you know, so too, and that's nice.
Speaker 3: I agree, Yes, like you could eat like if a doctor was like, just drink the baby's pea, I'd be like, okay, yeah, no, there's nothing.
Speaker 1: There's nothing exactly, there's nothing strong enough in there that I'm gonna get I'm gonna get sick or like that is going to be too strong of a flavor or taste.
Speaker 3: I'm sure that. No, I don't even want to go down this road, but I'm sure there's like health benefits.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't think we need to be talking about drinking children.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 1: You brought that up, brought that up, and you can cut that out. Well, I think we're going to leave it. Yeah, yeah, so I want to so with fourteen nieces and nephews fourteen, right or eight and eight to sixteen, but eight and six fourteen, Okay, great, So that's that's like a lot of responsibility, like I feel, or I did initially, I would say, this feeling is starting to wane.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 1: I felt like very serious about becoming like about being an A plus v ant, like I'm the one I will take care of you forever you come to me with any real problems. That feeling has faded.
Speaker 3: For me because of like just they're getting older or just so many of them.
Speaker 1: I guess. So yeah, I guess because they're getting older, not because of the volume of not because of the number, just because they're getting older. And then they develop their own opinions about things. I start to lose interest one they have like their own like if they're if they if they say like I guess, display idiocy. You know what I mean?
Speaker 3: Yeah, you're like, you're done.
Speaker 1: I'm just like, whoa, I didn't spend all this time with you. You didn't have access to our family and are all of our democratic values, which is usually my big issue to to end up like this, right, like what are you doing?
Speaker 3: I didn't raise you like this?
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, I didn't spend money to make sure that you're to have this be the end of your totally totally.
Speaker 3: Where is is most of your family in California?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 3: No, they're in New Jersey. Where did you grow up in the Bay Area?
Speaker 1: Oh okay, that's where one of my sisters lives. I love the Bay Area too. That's like one of my favorite places to not only perform.
Speaker 3: I bet they love you.
Speaker 1: Yeah. San Francisco is a great city for comedy because I used to start there. Like when I have a great city for comedy like Cobs, Cobs the punchline, and then Cobbs got they redid it and it was really even better than the first Cobs. But San Francisco is a great city just for a bevy of reasons. And I think that's a great place to live.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we grew up, you know, outside of San Francisco, but but that's that was our city.
Speaker 1: Where outside of San Francisco.
Speaker 3: I grew up in a town called Danville, which is like next to Walnut Creek, which is next to Berkeley, if that rings any bells, And almost all of my family is still there. And I'm I'm a I'm one of four, you're one of six, six, you're one of four. Four Look at us, look at us, and none of us are procreating.
Speaker 1: Look at us, look at us, three of us coming from huge families, and we're like not.
Speaker 3: So okay. So this weekend I'm going to a cousin's wedding in Portland and Oregon, Oregon, and staying in a big house with mom, dad, sister, her kid's husband, my husband, aunt, uncle, two cousins, and down the street from my sister who has two kids. It's gonna be like a very family fan.
Speaker 1: That sounds like fun. Though, it will be fun, but you know why because it's a weekend. Yeah, it's not a week right, That week's the case. Yeah, two forty eight hours, seventy two hours and that's it and then get fun.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm not. It doesn't even sound overwhelming to me, Like I think a lot of people would be like, oh, you're gonna need some alone time. I'm like, I want more.
Speaker 1: And are you the fancy person in your family because of your because you're on TV and you're an actress and if I am, do they treat you that way?
Speaker 3: No? No, no, yeah, I don't know what. Maybe because it came to me later. I don't know, maybe because they're all kind of like, whoa, you're on TV. Like it's not like I've been on TV since I was like a young, hot twenty year old.
Speaker 1: Well when you came, when it came to you later, I mean you're all over though, Like you're on all sorts of different shows. You've been on the good place for so many years, Like.
Speaker 3: You're on as many things as Nicole Kidman right now.
Speaker 1: Imagine you are too, Nicole Kidman. Because there's no way that Nicole Kidman can do every way.
Speaker 3: Do you do the math on how long things take?
Speaker 1: Possibly? I mean that would actually answer a lot of questions.
Speaker 3: Really, I could see that. Yeah.
Speaker 1: First I want to talk about so Sunday nights right, That's where I thought that was related to always Sunny in Philadelphia.
Speaker 3: For I know, I know if you like take Ship right totally, that's like a spin off and you got to shoot that in Australia and you want to go back to Australia.
Speaker 1: I want to shoot a season two.
Speaker 3: I love Australia.
Speaker 1: I do too.
Speaker 3: We shot in Sydney, we lived on the beach. We just like it was a really good life. I know, it's a beautiful lifestyle, really is, and you can kind of see yourself just staying there. Yeah, and I've shot I've shot a lot of things in a lot of different places that I've loved, but I've never wanted to I always am sort of like ready to go back home. And with Australia, I was like Tuesday.
Speaker 1: I know, and I've looked into it. It's quite expensive, but I don't think it's more expensive than LA and you're rich. It's just yeah, but if you go there, then like you know, coming back and forth is a big is a big issue right right right, because that's not an easy time skip. That's the worst jet like I've ever had is going. Usually I can go to Europe and I'm fine, like I can adjust. But Australia, you like it two days You're like.
Speaker 3: Fuck, it almost seems impossible, Like it almost seems like like getting to Australia seems like well that's I can't get there, like there's nowhere. And the friend of mine who was the showrunner of that show, Trent O'Donnell, he shoots a lot of things in Australia and a lot of things in America, so he is like he's got that trip down. He will come to LA for like forty eight hours. Doesn't that seem nuts?
Speaker 1: Yeah? That does, yeah, because it takes like fifteen hours. I know, right from here to la or to Australia's in a fifteen hour flight.
Speaker 3: But it was it was just great. I loved living there. I loved we like went in the ocean lite I sort of I sort of became a beach person and then came back here and like went to Santa Monica and I was like, like, we don't.
Speaker 1: Go in the it's just yeah, I know it's there, but nobody's really in it, right, So tell me what you thought of going to nets. So this show that we're talking about, how long did you spend in Nantucket?
Speaker 3: We were there for like a month.
Speaker 1: And were you guys all in some house together we were in.
Speaker 3: I feel like you probably know Nantucket pretty well.
Speaker 4: Well.
Speaker 1: I know Martha's Vineyards well because I grew up on Martha's vineyards. But I've only been to Nantucket I think three or four times.
Speaker 3: There's like a place called the White Elephant.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, yeah.
Speaker 3: I feel like it's kind of all over the place where it's like, you know, apartments and little homes and that's.
Speaker 1: So fun though it would go isn't that so fun? It's so fun go with a bunch of cast members. It is a little bit like White Lotus.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And it's like we had spent the summer in La shooting and we were doing it was like not a hard shoot, but we were doing six day weeks, which I had never done before, and we were just like it was like work work, and then we got this little vacation at the end, which still was work, like we kind of kept. We would be on set in Nantucket like looking around and we're being wait, I thought this was any vasion, but it was a vacation. It was like when you're on location, you know this, Like when you're on location, it's so different than shooting in your home. When you're shooting in your home, you go home afterwards and you like go to the doctor's appointment and you have to go grocery shopping or whatever. But when you're on vac when you're on location, you really are like, well, what are we going to do tonight? When you wrap, You're like, let's go to dinner, Let's get a drink, let's see.
Speaker 1: And that's so fun. There's like really sleep away camp.
Speaker 3: It's so sleepway camp. And with these women too. With so it's it's Jen Garner, Chloe Seventy, Regina Hall, Gemma Chan and then like Judy Greer and Timothy Olephant and like just an amazing cast. These are also like really professional, accomplished people that are you know, every They're like they've got families and we're not like partying in la or whatever. And so it was so fun to go to Nantucket with them and like, really, you know, really really live it out.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was great.
Speaker 3: It was great.
Speaker 1: Timothy Olephant. I want uh someone When Timothy's Shalame was becoming fan, this was years and years ago, someone had reached out and said, can you get a birthday message from Timothy Schallomey? And I thought they meant Timothy Oliphant. So I forwarded the message from my friend to my agent and I said, is there anywhere you can get a birthday message to this girl from? I just forwarded the email, so I assumed it was Timothy Oliphant because that was the only Timothy I knew, and I had just seen him, and I was like, he'll do it. He's a totally nice guy. And then I got a video back of Timothy Shallomey and I was like.
Speaker 5: Who's this?
Speaker 1: Who the hell is like, who's this little pip squeak? And this is when he was like, you know, even littler and he and but he was so sweet. He had sent this whole birthday message. And when I sent it back to my friend, she was like, oh my god, I can't believe you got that. And I'm like, who is this? And she's like it was right before called me by your name. I was his first big movie anyway, But I was like, I saw Timothy after that and I went to go thank him and I was like, oh, I want to thank you for that birthday and I'm like, actually, no, yeah, that's the story of my life.
Speaker 3: Getting celebrities can confused and the access you have to them is so funny.
Speaker 1: Y yeah, I know, because it's like, you know, I meet celebrities all the time. I think I'm meeting for the first time, and then they'll be like, oh, no, we met you interviewed me, And I'm like, well, that's impossible.
Speaker 3: You remember, I think that must be insane to have to have interviewed everyone. You've met everyone. But also it's like a blur on a different level. Yeaheah, it's a blur.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and especially Yeah, So anyway back to you, Yeah, so is this a kind of trip that you would take, like with in real life? Would you go on a trip with five girlfriends let's.
Speaker 3: See, Yeah, I would. I mean, you know what, because I'm really close with my two sisters and we take trips together. If someone handed me a trip, I'd be like, I'd probably say to my sisters, let's go. But you know, there was there was a while where let's see, this is pre COVID, there was like every in between, let's say, like every New Year's week, a big group of friends would go on these kind of like extravagant vacations together. It was six couples. Holy shit, wow, six couples. Somehow we made this work. No one had kids yet. It's all people that like we came up together at UCB in New York and then everyone is sort of like working in TV and starting to get like a little bit of money. So we were like, let's nobody has kids. Let's like blow it out and go on these amazing vacations because someone will start having kids next year and we want to we won't be able to do it again. And people just kept not having kids. So we did it for like five years, and we went to like Bora Bora and Paris and Hawaii and Costa Rica and we did these like really fun vacations and those were like some of my favorite life memories.
Speaker 1: Bora Bora was one of the if it was one of the top five trips of my life. It's it's not real. It's the whole time. I was like is this man made felt the same way.
Speaker 3: I was like, am I at Disney like a offshoot of Disneyland? Like it's so it looks like it's created by imagineers, and I do want to go back, like like I haven't had enough.
Speaker 1: I That's what I said. I was like, I was like, I'm gonna rent this place out for my fiftieth and then I didn't. So I have to figure out a time where I can do that, because I remember crying the day I left Bora Bora because it's so beautiful and the volcanic rock, like the way the water is, you can actually see it change color if it's like bifurcated by volcanic rock, so it goes from like dark blue to medium blue to light blue to lavender to dark purple, and you can just see the ridges. Like you go over and you're like it's a completely different color of water. It's so gorgeous, kind of.
Speaker 3: Like never seen anything like it. It feels like you are in just sort of a state of joy. Yeah, it's just like your eyes feel good and it really it's it's it's not even like there's that much to do there. It's just there isn't it just feels so good.
Speaker 1: It's just beautiful. It really is a slice of heaven, and it takes you a long time to get there. So once you get there, you can park it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, park it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, said you could do it for fifty two fifty three.
Speaker 3: You know, it doesn't have to be a special number. That's true, that's true.
Speaker 1: Yeah, to throw everybody off. What do you think, like, since you have two sisters that you sound like you're pretty close with, who is one of them? Like if I if you, if I asked you who was the biggest influence in your life, would it be one of your sisters?
Speaker 3: Mmmm? Biggest influence in my life? Like my immediate answer is my dad?
Speaker 1: Oh great?
Speaker 3: Yeah. I feel like as a kid, I really like looked up to him in a way where I was like, I want to be like him.
Speaker 1: You know what was it about him that you admired?
Speaker 3: He was like, I mean is he like what? Growing up with him? I felt like, I mean so smart, fun, like I think vivacious is maybe a word that describes women, but very like full of life and friendly, like every you know, friends made friends wherever he went. I would say, like everybody described him the same, which is like I love him, like, oh, Dennis is your dad? I love Dennis. Or he owned a music magazine, so he had all these like cool employees that would always say like he was the best boss. I don't know, there's just like I feel like very positive about him, and he just sort of like went for what he wanted and I just admired him. He also gave me and my siblings so much confidence.
Speaker 1: How okay, yeah.
Speaker 3: I really in my mom too. They really okay, So three daughters and a son, they really made us feel like we could do whatever the goddamn hell we wanted to in the entire universe. Like I really grew up thinking that maybe I would be like a major league baseball player because my dad was just like, you can do that, right, And he would say this thing, Meanwhile, you can't. Meanwhile, don't forget. They won't let you not ye yeah barely. I mean it's truly so far away. But he would say this thing to me and my siblings before like a sports game or before a play or something. A sports game. Okay, I would say that, yeah, you know what I mean, where he would he kind of like rubbed my shoulders and you go. You are the best. You are the king of the world. There's nobody better than you, and you'd like say it over and over like a mantra or like, you know, it did something to me. It really I really.
Speaker 1: Took it on well, because I think we take on not I think it's pretty obvious that whatever like the most hurtful things your parents have ever said to you and the most loving things are the things that stick with you. The mont is so true when they're constantly instilling support and love in you, like the reason why it adds up. It's kind of like the marble jar like right you they keep telling you and like you, little by little you believe it, and like what what does a little child need more than that to believe in themselves?
Speaker 3: Totally, Like when I think of sort of like the best compliment or something I've ever received sieved in my life, it would just be my parents saying like we're proud of you, right, you know, and they're not even they're not stingy with it, but like, you know, it really means something.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I remember looking at my father thinking I he motivated me in the exact opposite way, Like I was like, I will not be anything like you, even though I am a lot like him in my drive and kind of personality. I'm out there and I'm outspoken and all of those things, his whole like kind of moral compass was off, and I didn't like that. I was like, oh, I'm never gonna be a cheater or a liar or that's why I'm so passionate about being direct and being honest even when the situation doesn't golf for it, because I just want to make sure that.
Speaker 3: I'm on the level side.
Speaker 1: Like I'm like, I'm not a liar, You'll never catch me in a way, like if there's something bad I've done, I'll come forward with it, well, thank you. But it was more of like watching him as a deterrent yah and me being like, oh, I'm going to be you know, different than that.
Speaker 3: That's so interesting that we almost did like the same thing, but the opposite. I'm like, I want to be what I will make of my life, and the person that I will be is like directly related to my dad, and you're like me too, but the opposite.
Speaker 1: But it's still true that regardless of those differentiations, you really all you want as a child is for your parents to be proud of you, especially when you're a girl your dad, and I guess probably if you're a boy too, but there's something about your father saying I'm proud of you, and you know that we're all striving for no matter how old you get.
Speaker 3: Totally, and he was also like he would he would dabble in acting. He would do like the like community theater, play here and there. He was on stage a lot. He was like a he was like a showman, and it really made it feel possible for me too. I was like, I want to do that. That's what I want to do.
Speaker 1: You're also in Loot, which is on Apple with Maya Rudolph, who's one hundred, one hundred and as one hundred. I mean, that's just one of your shows. And your Handmaid's Tale also, which is wild. It's just wild to be able to toggle and also very admirable to be able to toggle back and forth between comedy and drama in that way.
Speaker 3: Thank you so much. That like important to me. You know, I love doing comedy and I really like found myself in comedy. But my I mean not to say like my education, but but my foundation is in like all you know, Shakespeare and like the straight plays and the classics and stuff like that, and then sort of realized that I kept getting cast as like the funny girl in those things, and then really like dove into comedy in New York. But I love doing all of it. Had I had like a friend an early okay, in New York, when I was like a struggling actor. I had an older woman friend who actually the story is too weird, but who actually like used to be my high school teacher. And then we ran into each other in New York and she was like divorced and young and was like, let's hang out. Yeah that it was weird. It was I like it, I know, and then we like really hung out a lot. But because she was because she had been my teacher, she was always like giving me advice and she was like, you need to pick a lane. She was like, you are all over the place, like you need to be the comedy girl. You need to be this, or you need to be that. And I remember being like, I know this is good advice, but like I really don't want to do that. I really don't want to I want to, like I'm so afraid of picking a line. I'm so afraid of like being pigeonholed. I guess as one thing. Yeah, so so I didn't do that. You know, so you didn't take her I didn't take her advice.
Speaker 1: Are you still friends with that woman?
Speaker 3: No? She actually was kind of toxic.
Speaker 1: I was gonna say it. It had the makings of a toxic relationship. But I like when somebody gives you unadulterated advice about something they know nothing exactly based on what are you giving me?
Speaker 3: A total When you're younger, when an older person is giving you advice, you always think it's like impactful, and then when you are older than that person giving you the advice.
Speaker 1: You're exactly you are. Yeah, so what's it like to be on the set on the Handmaids tend Maids till.
Speaker 3: You know what's funny that you asked that is that I also wondered that, like in the years of watching it, the years of watching I.
Speaker 1: Blame that show for the situation where you're giving all of these Republicans these ideas. I know that these ideas have been Jerman quite some time. Yeah, and it's not a new thing, but I feel like that show showed us what the absolute worst outcome could be and then they're like, let's try.
Speaker 3: It right, like, oh it worked, yeah, yeah for the moon God. When I was on the Good Place, I remember watching Handmaids.
Speaker 1: Which is the exact opposite vibe of.
Speaker 3: And that was kind of my thought was like, every day on the good Place is a good day. I'm like so happy. I'm surrounded by the most wonderful people. I get to do the most fun, lovely scenes. And then I was like watching the show which I loved, The Handmaid's Tale, but I was thinking, like, that's not a good day on set. That is like a bad day at work. And I ran into Bradley Whitford on an airplane. I love brad love him the best.
Speaker 1: He's the cute. Yeah, I love him.
Speaker 3: He truly is so west Wing.
Speaker 1: He's so hot in west Wing and west Wing. Oh wes Wing. I mean that is a show worth watching every Yeah.
Speaker 3: And I do every night as my husband falls asleep.
Speaker 5: Oh you do.
Speaker 3: It's like his full comfort show. But yes, so I were you like looking up lest Wie, Yes, a little bit. Okay, that wasn't when I watched that wasn't one.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's like the Wire. I didn't watch that until somebody made me watch it and then I tried like three times. It was like breaking bad. There are like three shows that I've taken it, like it's taken me three fall starts to get into and then once I got in, I watched them all within like once week, and you understand. And then I was like, oh my god, I'm attracted to Brian Cranston. I can't stop thinking about it.
Speaker 3: I mean, yeah, I do. But so he had just done his first season on Handmaids, and so I got to ask him basically like what is that set, like it seems so like dark, and he he was like, it's actually the opposite. We're like dancing, we're joking. It's like there there's like it's very light, which I was almost like, yeah, right, like you're lying, and it is that. It's really they keep it light. They keep it there's like I think intentional, you know what I mean, Well, I think.
Speaker 1: Yeah, absolutely, the subject matter is too dark, is too dark.
Speaker 3: And the I mean I came on it in the last three episodes of the last season, so they it was like a well oiled machine. But they really are these like some some of the most amazing actors I've ever worked with that can really just like.
Speaker 1: Well, Lizzie is ridiculous. She does scenes by her, she's basically acting alone and half of the show like she does scenes where there's not another person in them and the other person is like five minutes the camera that's right, yes, And her face, facial expressions and the look of fear, Like what that woman can accomplish in just like I mean, it's she should be teaching acting. I'm aking she's like she is on another level. She is, she can the way she can like pop in and out of it is I've never seen it in my life. We're talking about Elizabeth Moss. Yeah, yeah, she.
Speaker 3: There was like I remembering a scene where she's like walking out to this isn't a spoiler, well whatever, She's like walking out to be hung, which doesn't end up happening.
Speaker 1: But she yes, I know what you're talking about.
Speaker 3: And and I'm like in with a noose around my neck like watching her come out. It's so dark, so dark, and the camera is an inch away from her face, and she's also directing this episode and she's like tears in her eyes. She's about to be murdered and she can see in the reflection of the camera that her little like I want to call it a habit, but whatever, the like the like you know, their Heandmads and headcover. Everything is like off and she like giggles and fixes it and then just like drops back in, doesn't break stride, doesn't like have to reset, doesn't need to start over, knows what the edit will look like well enough to be like they're not going to be I mean, she just is like a machine.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's pretty impressive.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Who's somebody that you've worked with besides Liz Moss, Lizzie Moss that you have learned so much from?
Speaker 3: You know, like Ted Danson really pops into my hand. Yeah, yeah, I mean Ted.
Speaker 1: He's a smooth operator.
Speaker 3: Is a smooth operator. He's been doing it so long. He's so grateful, he's he is his I mean, he's he's a couple of things. He's like a good time on set, he's everybody's best friend. But he's also such a fucking good actor. And it's almost like you almost forget that because he's Ted dancing.
Speaker 1: Ye, it's true. As you were saying that, I'm like, yeah, I guess he is a good actor because it's always Ted Dance Totally.
Speaker 3: He's so open and receptive and as a person as an actor, he really just he's listening, he's reacting, he's like, he's not he's just he's just kind of perfect. He's kind of like your perfect scene partner, and he's the type of guy. And also Henry Winkler's like this too, where they really they've been doing this a long time and they remind you, like how lucky we are.
Speaker 1: I'm surmising from what you're telling me and from knowing both of them that they are good at making sure you everyone else on set feels really afterble totally.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they're both so good at that. Yeah, they they don't take their position lightly. I think, do you take acting pretty seriously in a way, like, not in a method sort of way, yeah at all, but my god, but in a like I really feel like it's my life's purpose and so every time I get the opportunity, I'm like, don't waste this, and I fucking love it.
Speaker 1: I think that's a great piece of advice for anybody and anything and anything they like, don't waste this opportunity, right, because it's sometimes it's easy to just be like, fuck it, let me just get through something. Not necessarily with an acting gig, but sort of. But perhaps if you have a lot of other things going on in your life, or if it's a weak job and you're like a fuck it, let me just man this and I've got other things to deal with whatever. But I think that's good advice. Yeah, when any opportunity. I read something the other day that hit me and I don't know maybe I said this on the podcast, but like, it's not about the outcome of your opportunities. It's about the shot that you get. I agree, like you got the shot. It's a shot to shoot your shot right, and instead of attaching yourself to what will result from the opportunity. And I loved that because it's just a reminder to stay in the moment that you're in and don't get ahead of yourself.
Speaker 3: I've been really feeling like that with with with like career and acting stuff, which is that I think in the beginning it was it was so outcome based. It was like, yeah, you know like this, I don't know, like, well, this industry is outcome back based. And then I started realizing that like the days on set, the days like doing the acting with the people was actually all I gave a shit about. Like I have a hard time like watching it afterwards, like I'm not really you know, if this show is a hit or not, it's like interesting, but it's not the thing, you know, and that Yeah, I just I that has really really hit me lately, and like Australia is a perfect example of that because when we did it, it wasn't on Hulu yet. It was it was going to just be in Australia and on Stan Love You Stand, Love You Stan.
Speaker 1: But they have great shows. Yeah, I watch a lot of crime shows from Yeah, great crime show. Yeah, because they have real actors. Yeah, you know, not everybody's beautiful.
Speaker 3: And I appreciate that. I totally agree. God I love those acts. They would be Yeah, but I was like, if this doesn't it was I was enjoying it so much that I was like, if this doesn't even go to America, I kind of don't care, Like I wouldn't have done it right right right, you know, America.
Speaker 1: Did you bring her the Land of the Free?
Speaker 3: The place?
Speaker 1: Did you bring your short king husband?
Speaker 3: Yes, Australia, thank you. He came with me for like half of it. So I was there for like four months.
Speaker 1: Is he an actor as well?
Speaker 3: He's a producer. He runs Seth Meyer's production company. So we're both sort of in like the same circle. Yeah, we're certainly in the same circle.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you are in the same circle.
Speaker 3: But he came out for like half of it, the last half, and he would wake up at like four in the morning and work and then go to the beach. It was like a really good life. He would he would work like whatever America's schedule is, New York schedule and then yeah, and then he would like the second half of the day, he would just be like an Australian dude.
Speaker 1: I wonder if Australia is ready and has the capacity to absorb half of America. We're there, because how many people do I just learned that La County is only four or not La County, La propers only four million people. County is like eleven or I thought it would be way more than four million.
Speaker 3: I mean, Australia has a lot of room, right, It's just like you want to yeah, yeah, the momental.
Speaker 1: We want to put the snakes on one side of the island. And because it is kind of surprising when you go to Australia, because I've gone there touring several times in my career, and you forget that it's basically the same like distance as America. Like if you go from Perth to Sydney, it's like a five hour flight, right, And you're like, wait, what right? I thought this was a little place.
Speaker 3: But there's a lot of spairs. But in that show Sunday Nights will Forte Place, my brother and his family was out there, his beautiful wife Olivia and his kids, and we really have we talk about going back there a lot, like like living there in a way that I just haven't experienced.
Speaker 1: Before, I know, And they're you know, they're just very civilized the way that they've set up their lifestyle. Yeah, there's bike paths in every major city in Australia. They set up like when you're in the in the in the harbor. The Sydney Harbor is one of the most beautiful harbors because they have no shipping containers, right, And I'm like, where did they put the shipping containers somewhere else? I'm not anywhere we can see them. And I appreciate it too.
Speaker 3: I know. I walked I like sort of discovered my love of just walking like walking, yes, yes, yes, yep, it's just like you just it's really it's made for people to like enjoy it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Okay, we're going to take some callers where we give it out advice. People are going to call in live. Let's begin this portion of this episode by you can tell. You can choose to tell me either one great piece of advice that you've been given or a really bad piece of advice that.
Speaker 3: You've been giving. Okay, it's funny. I mean, I guess I told you the bad advice from my formal teacher. I guess, Like it's not funny.
Speaker 1: I just love like do you want to hang out with your former student? There's something wrong about that and I'm not quite sure what it is.
Speaker 3: And I also wanted to call her like miss whatever. I know, just like stop like I got a hot new husband. I'm not a teacher anymore. I'm an inspiring actress. It was really very funny. Okay, this is too much about acting, but it just rings. And it's from Ted, which was playing Janet on The Good Place, was sort of like basically he was like, whatever you do next, have it be the exact opposite from this and continue to do that throughout your career. And that has really like been my north star.
Speaker 1: That's great advice and it's.
Speaker 3: Helped me with like doing things I'm scared of, doing things that maybe I wouldn't want to say yes to to really like follow your gut. I guess, yeah, So that's really helped me. But that's you know, that's advice for an actor. Yeah, or maybe we're not. Yeah, maybe not it all it can.
Speaker 1: I think in any creative endeavor, it's good to shake it up and watch people don't write.
Speaker 3: Like in life, we get so stuck in our ways that we're like, I mean, I'm you know, the older we get. It's so easy to get stuck in your in your patterns and to like do things that scare us. I think is how we like live a full life and stay young. And you know, I feel like I see that too much just people sort of.
Speaker 1: Like yeah, it's just also good to get the adrenaline pumping, right, Like if you're so accustomed to something or you've gotten really good at one thing, it's like, okay, that's great. But also like the fear subsides, and I feel like fear is a healthy ingredient before you're about to take something on.
Speaker 3: And I'm a big like I talk to my friends a lot about like fear that you have to be a little scared of something. Yeah, if you are a little scared, that's probably a reason to do it, you know.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, Yeah, why I have an actor question, So we'll just go right on your here.
Speaker 1: Okay, while Ted is here in Spirited Dancing is always in this.
Speaker 2: Podcast, totally well, Cassidy says, Dear Chelsea. I've been an actor my whole life, and I've spent the last eleven years in LA working in commercials, TV and creating my own projects when opportunities weren't there. Over the year, I've learned how to make things happen for myself. I've now produced multiple projects. I've done stand up at the Improv in the Ice House, and even have a one woman show I co wrote and am performing about choosing not to have kids and what that means for your identity and relationships, and we're putting that up soon.
Speaker 3: But I'm hitting a wall.
Speaker 2: I came out here to be a series regular on a TV show and have a work family, but the industry has changed so much over the past few years, despite everything I've built, I feel like I keep having to start over. I've never been able to fully move on from this path, even when it's been painful. But I also don't know if I'm being resilient or if I'm just stuck. Most of the advice we get is just keep going. But what if you really are that person that just keeps going? With how much the industry has shifted, how do you evolve your path without feeling like you're abandoning your original dream?
Speaker 3: Thanks Cassidy, Hi Cassidy, Hi, Hi Cassidy.
Speaker 1: Hi, we have a bona fide actor with us today on the right episode. Hi Darcy, Hi Darcy, why don't you start? Okay if you don't mind, I don't guess you are more of an act than anyone else.
Speaker 3: In this room. You're not not on the comedian, you know, like a little bit right? Not really. I really relate to this, I really like understand and I feel you so hard on this. I I know this struggle so well.
Speaker 5: You're like, I also don't want to know what to do.
Speaker 3: Well truly, I mean, for sure, the industry is changing so much, and there is this feeling of like do I need to sort of like why diden my view, Like do I need to learn how to do other things? Or you know you kind of we're in flux right now so so much I really feel that, but also just the feeling of like moving to a city and with this goal and it's not quite happening, but it's not not happening, but it's not exactly happening, like I think, you know, I lived in New York for eleven years, made five dollars as an actor, but also like was very artistically fulfilled because I was doing what you're doing, which is like putting shows up and and you know, writing and doing improv and doing sketch and stuff like that and auditioning for things. And then moved to La and it was a similar thing where I was like I had this feeling where it's like this thing that I wanted seems like it's not going to happen, and it's like do I face that reality? Am I happy? What's bringing me joy? And I sort of like realized that I was. I had to like shift my idea of what I thought my life was going to be a little bit, but realize that I was happy doing the things that you're doing. I was happy doing the things that you're doing, but do you know what I mean, like putting up your shows, it's such a struggle.
Speaker 1: It's just it's such an unpredictable business, and especially the time that we're living in, I think it's just so important to have like a couple of ducks in a row that are not just acting right and not just performing. And it sounds like you do do you I've got about three jobs.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so you're for sure the jobs. And also but like I mean, so many actors, like you're already in a dog you're already so far ahead of it, because so many actors come to LA or New York with only the goal of like auditioning to get the job. And it sounds like you are. You're doing your own thing too, write, you're writing your own shows. You're like that, That's that's the advice is like you you have to.
Speaker 1: Self produce, self create all of that stuff. It sounds like you're on top of it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, And I'm really excited about the show. And I've done other shows before, like I said, and have produced my own thing, and this one truly does feel like it's kind of my purpose on Earth amazing.
Speaker 1: It is a crazy thing to.
Speaker 5: Say, yeah, because just it's what I've gone through with unpacking that I don't want to have kids, but what that means as an identity and what does that mean for my future? Because I discovered that in my twenties, So I was like.
Speaker 3: Whoa a lot time.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and most people with their older are dealing with their kids or their grandkids, and I was like, so what am I going to be doing? So it is fun in a way. And the energy shift that I think you both were talking about, I'm getting so much better at, especially over the last year, so that and I can definitely see things coming toward me because of it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm happy about that.
Speaker 5: And I know it's a sort of nuanced question that nobody really knows what to say besides like just keep going. But yeah, I was wondering if there was like any in between.
Speaker 1: Because I know you.
Speaker 5: I'm sure you two in evening, including Catherine, know what I mean. When you're like, okay, cool, like let's discover this part of this medium, and then you kind of feel like you're starting over and then you're like, okay, we did that.
Speaker 1: That was fun.
Speaker 5: I did it well, actually, but it doesn't feel like something I want to do forever. And that's also what I kind of came here to do. Like I went to school for music, theater, I've done film and TV out here. I like it all. But you know, when you focus on too many things, your energy gets diffused. But then you also don't want to focus only on one thing exactly betting on that. So there's all this sort of I think in the opposite end of the spectrum advice.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think it's really discerning, like where you want to put your energy and focus and writing that down, you know, like what gives you the most feedback, payback, enjoyment out of all of the things that you're doing, and then narrow it down to like the three things that A are providing you with income and the stability to live and be safe, you know, and feed yourself obviously, and then get to the second tier of things like which ones do you enjoy, which ones give you life, which ones which which aspects of this industry because the industry is always going to be shifting. Like I did Howie Mandel's podcast a couple of weeks ago, and he was saying, if you're doing comedy the same way you were doing it fifteen years ago. You're missing the whole boat, like everything has changed. And I was like, I'm pretty sure I'm doing comedy the same way I was fifteen years ago. He's like, no, Chelsea, you have a whole social media platform that you didn't have fifteen ye And I was like, oh, yeah, you're right, and he's like, yeah, you're on what are you on? I was like all of them? Probably, you know, and you're doing a podcast like you're adapting. So like that's something that I stood out to me that he said is like you do see the difference between people who adapt versus people who resist totally, Like, yeah, and he's coming. It scares the shit out of everyone, but you can't. You have to deal with it, Like, we can't just be like I'm not going to use it. That's not helpful either. And live performance is also something that you know is not going to be easily replaced. Right, people don't want to go see a hologram performing, right, I'm sure some people do, but most people don't.
Speaker 3: I heard something interesting recently which was we were very excited in the like seventies and eighties about a computer being able to win at chess until it actually beat a person, and then we didn't care anymore and we just watched people play chess. I mean, if you're into that sort of thing, right, right, right, So yeah, that's interesting. I okay. One thing that like stuck out to me is you said like you feel like this show is your purpose on Earth. I think, like follow that feeling, right, like like that is so attractive, and I think just you know, it's it might not be tomorrow that the like the thing happens from the show or whatever, but you having that feeling of not the desperation of like this is going to bring me something, but just more like I love what I'm doing right now. That is so attractive, totally right, and so then it's like, you know, I think good things will come from that. So I think in like loving what you're doing and following your passion. I know this maybe sounds a little like duh, but it's like that is you're doing it right and then and then you know, yeah, you have to have this job and that job that pays the bills, but that can start changing tomorrow. I don't know, it's hard.
Speaker 1: I think absolutely, I think that's true. I think everything you're saying it's right. It's very hard to live an artist's life. It's very unpredictable. So like that's what you signed up for and this is just part of that. And so when you think about it that way, like it just kind of comes with the territory. You get to do what you love to do with also the side of instability, right, so you just kind of have to warm up to that idea and do everything that you can to protect all of the things that are going to keep you safe housed, clothes and fed.
Speaker 3: I know you know this also, but like you get the show tomorrow, you get the TV show, and it lasts for one season and then you're like right back and this, yeah, you're right back to the same feeling that you had before. This business is so up and down and I don't I mean, even even someone that's been doing it as long as you, like you, I'm sure you feel that, you know, like, yeah, like the you're on top, you're on bottom, you're on it's just it's it's not it's not for the faint of heart. So whatever.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I decided a while ago to stop.
Speaker 1: Putting energy into quitting.
Speaker 5: Yeah, because I tried to quit so many times, and I just kept coming back to it.
Speaker 1: That's something good and it's a part of the energy shift.
Speaker 6: I think too. Though, there's like, you know, you want to have goals, and you're supposed to have goals, and of course I have because you want to know where you're going. But then a lot of the things that have been a part of I would have never been able to put down, and they've been some of my happiest days.
Speaker 5: So there's that weird in.
Speaker 3: Between, yeah, being open, like want to have a vague goal, but you're supposed to have a specific goal.
Speaker 1: I'm not a real goal oriented person. I'm just more of a like I kind of fly by the seat of my pants a little bit, so I can understand the goal aspect and why people do that. But I also think just like, welcome the challenges, you know, like you're talking about shifting your energy and part of that. There's a great podcast that I just listened to. Ezra Client had pimas chowdron on She's not a monk? What is it called when you're a female monk?
Speaker 3: A monk?
Speaker 1: Guess a monket It's like a smurfet but Anyway, it was a lot about not resisting the reality of a situation, right, and when we are challenged, like in whatever industry you're in, you're talking about this specific entertainment industry, it's good to just kind of look at it and like move towards the challenge rather than move away from it, and and like and then that that also becomes like an energy vibe that you're giving out where you are attracting different things and things are coming your way because you're not resisting the fact that the situation is changing or becoming challenging in a different way. You just kind of embrace it, you know, like, and you could apply that to anything in life, Like you just kind of embrace the difficulty of the moment and move towards it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's interesting. I'll be thinking about that.
Speaker 3: Well, Cassidy.
Speaker 2: Will you send us a link to your show and if it's up by the time this goes out, we'll put a link in the bio.
Speaker 1: Love that.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, for sure, Thank you all and everybody behind the scenes.
Speaker 1: Thanks Cassidy, thanks for calling in. Bye bye. Do you have time for one more?
Speaker 2: Okay, great, Okay, Well this is a pretty important one. It's a pretty big one. So we have Ashley calling in.
Speaker 3: She's twenty six.
Speaker 2: She says, Dear Chelsea, I'm a twenty six year old straight woman freshly graduated from medical school.
Speaker 3: Later this summer.
Speaker 2: I'm about to move several states away from my family to start my career. I'm currently engaged to the guy I've been with since I was seventeen, and we've overall been really happy. He supported me throughout school, and we're supposed to get married next year. However, there's this guy from my medical school class who've had a crush on since the first day of school. In the last few months, I finally ended up telling him how I felt, and it turns out he felt the same way all along. When I'm around him, it's electric. I'm nervous, I'm shaky, my heart races. I've never wanted somebody like I want him. When graduation came, we essentially said our goodbyes, and he made sure I knew that while he's not rooting against my future happiness with my boyfriend, if anything happens where I end up single, give him a call, whether he's in a relationship or not.
Speaker 1: It's a cow, it's a couple.
Speaker 2: Weeks since graduation, and I hate the thought of never seeing him again. I can't stop thinking about him, and I'm sadly thinking about ending my marriage before it starts. I love my fiancee and he's a really good guy, and he loves me so much, and we've been happy, but there are some feelings in me now that weren't there before. If he's still everything I want in a husband. I'm also feeling like, if I'm having these thoughts, I have to break it off. But this is like the scariest decision ever, and I don't know if I'll regret it. I just have a couple weeks to figure it all out and tell my fiance if I decide to break it off. What do you think I should do? Do I give up what I know is good for something that could or could not be great? Ashley, Ashley, Ashley, you got stuff going on?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Is your wedding date set?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Next year?
Speaker 1: Okay, Okay. I feel like you have an opportunity to like look into this situation that you have going with this guy. Like, I don't think you have to tell your fiance everything right now. I think you can just simply say I need a couple of weeks to myself to really think about this decision that we're making. I love you, I care about you, like, but I really just need some time. I'm having all sorts of feelings and I just want to take a break. I really don't think you need to difulge what it is that you're doing and at this juncture.
Speaker 3: And what she's doing is fucking that guy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that would be my advice. I would start dating this guy, have sex with him, and see if what you're because listen, we've all had crushes and one of the most intoxicating things about them is that you don't know what would happen. And that's why we're so dazzled by this, Like, you know, the idea of someone new and the idea, and when you put pen to paper, you might just go and find out, oh, you have like no sexual chemistry or it doesn't feel good, and then you'll be even more able to double down on the relationship that you are in. But if you don't explore this, you're gonna regret it for the rest of you.
Speaker 3: You might regret it for the rest of your life.
Speaker 4: That's what I'm thinking.
Speaker 3: And I think like this is a tricky one because I think this might be a little bit about hot guy and a little bit about like it sounds like high school boyfriend is lovely and wonderful and my parents met in high school. But like, other than that, the idea of meeting your soul mate at seventeen is tricky, like you will grow and change so much. And I'm not saying like he sounds wonderful, and I think he is. Otherwise you probably would have gotten rid of him already.
Speaker 4: But yeah, it would be easier if he wasn't I.
Speaker 3: Know, I know, Listen, I actually really understand this situation, like like on a deep, deep personal level from my high school boyfriend, just like a lovely guy, just like nothing wrong with him, but just not quite quite. And I do think if I had married him, I think I would be in a situation where I was like thinking about the medical school guy.
Speaker 1: Is there any scenario where you can say to your fiance, I need like a month to myself.
Speaker 4: So I've been thinking about like how to approach it, because we're supposed to move away together at the end next month, so like five six weeks from now, and I don't want to do that. I think I have to move regardless, but I think I need to like sit down and talk to and tell him that I don't want him to move with me at least just yet.
Speaker 3: Ashley, I think you might want to take a break from this guy from boyfriend. Yeah, I think it might be more than a month. I think you might need to like really.
Speaker 1: Yeah, if you're already thinking about that moving in with him and then postponing that, I think that it would be in your best interest. Listen, when women have feelings, you need to pay attention to them because we've come from generations of women who have been taught to ignore what they feel. So in pursuing what you want, even if it doesn't lead to anything exactly, you're listening to yourself. And then you're like breaking the cycle of women that came before you and for the women that come after you. Like you, really I think about those kinds of things When I have a big decision, I just think about how does this decision affect all women? Yeah, And like, I know that sounds crazy, but it's really it's worthwhile to think about how you're in you know, how you're standing up for yourself. You would give this advice like to a friend, right, you would say, go explore this and see what's there, right, And even if it's nothing, you were true to yourself and you examined it and you're like, okay, and maybe you're going to fall out in love with this guy and maybe this is the guy and maybe he's not. But either way, you should follow your heart and follow your emotions because you're young enough to do it. Right.
Speaker 2: My big question in this scenario is this guy who feels very exciting. Sometimes those people are it's exciting because they're chaotic, right, or they're messy, or.
Speaker 3: You're unavailable, and that's one of the room sins yea.
Speaker 2: And there's like a love bombing situation. So is that what's going on at all? Or you don't feel that at all.
Speaker 4: No, I don't think he's like just in it for the chaos of it. I mean, like over the last few weeks months, he was very much on the side of like you need to like try not to cross.
Speaker 1: Any lines right right right, which is respectful, nice, and if you were toxic, he would have been like yeaeah. And he was.
Speaker 4: Really keeping me like bron and that. And then when it was time for like to say goobye and hand to lead. He was like, you have to figure out what you want to do, like for you and like highly be out of this, like if you end up sayingle I'll be there. But he was just like, you can't. You can't just swap us out, Like you gotta figure out what you really want.
Speaker 3: When you think about your fiance, do you feel like you're like in love with him for life or do you feel like this is you feel safe with him? Or what? What do you think? Is it just sort of like this, you know, this is like the natural progression of a relationship is like you date and then you move in together, and then you get married.
Speaker 4: I felt very in love with him. I just feel like like a part of that is ron yeah, but I mean no, I was very happy and like very excited to marry him.
Speaker 1: But I just feel like now.
Speaker 4: I've been thinking things differently, and with all these changes, I feel different.
Speaker 2: I also think if you take the space and you decide, like I actually do like this person.
Speaker 3: I'm with now is the person I want to be with long term.
Speaker 2: I also don't think that you guys need to talk about anything that happened in the interim.
Speaker 1: I think that's like, I just think you need yourself, yeah, like more than anything else. I agree how you want to handle like the intricacies of it. You need to listen to yourself as a woman.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and you kind of know already.
Speaker 2: I do.
Speaker 1: I do.
Speaker 4: I just I don't know how to do it, you know what I mean.
Speaker 1: I think you just have to sit down with him and be as gracious and as possible, knowing this person's in love with you, sit down with him and be like listen. And I would be lying if I didn't say that I had some misgivings and I'm getting really nervous about being married and I really need to like slow it down. Yeah, I need some time, I think for myself. I owe it to myself, and I want to honor these feelings that I'm having that this I don't think this has anything to do with you. This is me, and I'm starting to feel panicked about the wedding. I'm just I just want some time to really like clarify or gain some clarity about how I'm feeling. And any real guy, like, of course he's gonna not love that, but if he really loves you, he's gonna respect that. And you just have to be very respectful of him when you're telling him. I mean, obviously you're not going to tell him that I'm interested in fucking this other guy from college, but you can just be like, listen, I have some things, I have some unanswered questions. I don't know what that means. Maybe you're going to talk to a therapist for a month. Maybe you're gonna just like explore life what it's like without him in it for a month, but putting it in a way that there's nothing he can do, you know, and not leaving him hanging, being like, listen, just give me some time and I will come back to you with.
Speaker 3: A more more realized Yeah.
Speaker 1: But right now, just like, I don't like the way I'm feeling, and I would never want to enter into a partnership or a living situation feeling this way. Right so I have to clear my thoughts and I need to do that without you.
Speaker 3: And you do you need it for you? It's not selfish, like depending on his response to this, also can kind of inform you about how you guys are as a couple. Yes, and it's it's not like selfish. You have to do it for you and he should also understand that you will never sort of forgive yourself or or stop thinking about this. And I don't even mean the guy. I mean you being alone for a little while here. Yeah, so that's huge. Like if he if he doesn't understand that, that says a lot about y know, absolutely him and you guys as a couple. All right, Ashley, will you check in with us, give us the scoop? Yeah, I'll email you all right, good luck.
Speaker 1: Thank you so much, thanks for calling, Ashley. Good luck with everything.
Speaker 3: Thank you. Okay you too, wait until you're thirty to get married.
Speaker 1: We like your shoulders.
Speaker 3: Yeah, oh yeah, shack on.
Speaker 1: Okay, Well that was awesome, Darcy. That was our hour with Darcycard and you gave great advice.
Speaker 3: Compassionate you guys.
Speaker 1: You can watch her on Five Star Weekend among all the other places you can see or you can see her in a league of their own. Nobody wants this Loote Sunday Nights with Will Forte and The Good Place and Handmaidsdale. But her newest project is Five Star Weekend and all episodes are out today on Hulu. Baby, Hey, yay, we did it.
Speaker 3: Woo wootoot.
Speaker 2: If you want advice from Chelsea, right into Dear Chelsea podcast at gmail dot com.
Speaker 3: Dear Chelsea is a production of iHeartMedia.
Speaker 2: Follow Chelsea on all socials at Chelsea Handler, and find Katherine on TikTok at flash Cadabra. Dear Chelsea is edited and engineered by Brandon Dickert executive producer Katherine Law. Find full video episodes and minisodes now on Netflix, and get tickets to see Chelsea live at Chelseahandler dot com