Speaker 1: Broadcasting live from the Abraham Lincoln Radio Studio, the George Washington Broadcast Center, Jack Armstrong and Joe Gatty, Armstrong and.
Speaker 2: Jetty and Pee Armstrong and get Caddy Strong not live from Studio C. We're taking a break for a couple of weeks. You know why because twenty twenty four was an exhausting year and we need to come back fresh for twenty four.
Speaker 3: So enjoy this carefully curated Armstrong and Getdy replay. And while you're here, drop my Armstrong and Getty dot com. Get a late gift perhaps for your favorite a g fan at the Armstrong and Getty Store, or subscribe to the Armstrong and Getty podcast Armstrong and Getty on tomad. Either way, enjoy, thanks for being here.
Speaker 2: What do you think I paid for my used elliptical I bought fifteen years ago. It's a really good one. It's actually from a gym, so it's the heavy duty commercial quality sure like you use at the gym. Who's freaking really really good. But I bought it used. Would you have a guess what I probably paid for? It knew when it was new, used when I bought it from Craigslist. Five hundred bucks.
Speaker 3: I was going to go seven hundred You think it was a gym quality, Yeah, more than that, because I bought one much more recently than that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, definitely.
Speaker 3: I was just trying to think hundreds too low, like twelve hundred bucks.
Speaker 2: Yeah, might have been anyway, because I just moved it. For see, I was living in that house, moved to that house, moved to this house. This is the fourth place I've had it in and I've I've used it. I don't know what the total I've spent on moving it. I was googling to see roughly what it costs. But this is the fourth place I've moved it to, and so because it weighs more than three hundred pounds, there's a special price for that. So I paid a couple of hundred bucks to have it moved. Again. The total amount of time cumulative that I've spent on that elliptical machine has got to be less than twenty minutes in fifteen years. And fifteen years.
Speaker 3: Wow, you can get like a high dollar hooker for a lower hourly rate than that.
Speaker 2: Well, I'm not worried about the price. I'm putting it in the category of is this the stupidest craziest, least sensical thing I've ever done in my life. And that's a high bar, trust me.
Speaker 4: They like, do you have a plan in life where you're like, I'm gonna I'm gonna get on that thing that's gonna be after work going home thirty minutes.
Speaker 2: I guess, Okay, I guess I do.
Speaker 3: It's hard to get a good quality gym level used elliptical for less than fifteen hundred dollars, Okay, I just essentially what I remember.
Speaker 2: I might have spent a thousand dollars on it, but I've spent another thousand dollars moving it four times at least and again cumulative over fifteen years. Twenty minutes, and I'm probably on the high end. Use it or sell it.
Speaker 3: In a minute and a half per year, Yeah, I mean use it or sell it.
Speaker 2: You used it or sell it at what point? Now? Yeah, it's not. It's sort of become like a I don't know, almost like a joke. Now.
Speaker 4: I was one of those sorry folks that fell victim to the Peloton during COVID the Peloton bikes, and I used that thing twice and then it turned into a really nice clothing rack, and I was like, I gotta get rid of this thing.
Speaker 2: Right, Wow, that's funny.
Speaker 3: I've used a peloton more than that at the gym, but not for some time. The seat did not love the seats, and I got a piece of gear. You don't actually said yeah, where were we?
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, give yourself two weeks.
Speaker 3: And then get rid of the damn thing. Quit throwing good money after bad. Although you say it's kind of become almost a family, it's kind of be an heirloom of futility a Charlie Brownish.
Speaker 2: I keep thinking my kids might use it. Yes, Michael, No, I say just dump it, just take it to the dump. No, no, no, it's definitely too nice. I would I would give it to a family or something before I take it to the dump, because it's a great piece of equipment. It really really is high quality, really good one.
Speaker 3: Here's what you do. I got a brilliant idea. You just you're in a store, you're walking down the street. You come across a heavy set person and you say, hey, I noticed you're pretty porky.
Speaker 2: I have an elliptical for you. You probably have bad knees, right carrying that luggage around. Huh, You don't want to run or want That's what that's great about the elliptical. I all you have to do is pick it up. As I'll walk up to and say, you're probably what thirty three thirty four thirty four? What bmi? Yeah, probably thirty four bmi? Wow, not analyptical. Yeah, go up and put a measuring tape around their waist. Jeez, oh my god. Yeah, I'll tell you what there.
Speaker 3: What's underrated by people who don't understand economies and markets and that sort of thing is the concept of and I don't know the technical term, but it's the infrastructure to sell the ability to you know, obviously, take in money and give out a product.
Speaker 2: That's the obvious part. That's the easy part.
Speaker 3: But to hold an inventory, to ship it, to deliver it, to be a place where multiple buyers can come and the price can be set by the free market, as opposed to add, dude with an elliptical who wants to get rid of it?
Speaker 2: You are in such a weak Yeah.
Speaker 4: So I will tell you Facebook marketplace and offer up as where I've gotten rid of both of my pieces of exercise equipment that were large, and you can select by pickup only.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, it's worked easily. So Joe and I both had Nordic tracks twenty five years ago because we were endorsing Nordic track Thank you Gladys. And it was the nicest Nordic tracks they made, so they're kind of expensive, and I use that one like I don't know, five minutes. Anyway, when I went to move, I wasn't going to haul that across the country.
Speaker 3: And I.
Speaker 2: Think I put an ad in the paper for it, that's how long it was ago, and nobody was interested. And then I asked people around and nobody was interested. And then I took it to the good Will and they said look over there, and in the corner they had like fifteen Norder tracks. Said we're not taking any more tracks. And I tried. I drove around with that thing in the back of my truck to different good Wills and various those kinds of places, Salvation Army, and nobody would take it. You literally couldn't give it away. I finally, out of frustration after dark, drove behind the good Will, pushed it out of the back of my truck and drove off. Wow.
Speaker 3: Oh, confess to felony littering exercise equipment just it's amazing that they sell so much of it new. There are stores. There's a store not far from here from the radio station that sells that stuff new all the time. May been in business for a long time, so they must sell stuff. Man, buy that you host.
Speaker 2: You two hundred dollars to get rid of it. That's my prediction. Probably right, I'll keep it. I'll keep it in this house. Maybe next move I'll finally decide. You know. One of the problems this makes me feel better by myself, so maybe I'm just kidding myself. One of the reasons I don't use it as much is I live someplace northern California where the climate is so good. I always think I'd rather go outside and do it. So I like, I walk a half hour forty five minutes almost every single night. But the weather's perfect, so I'm gonna go outside.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm not going to Why you're not exercising on that thing because the weather's so.
Speaker 2: Nice, right, Well, I am getting exercise all yeah. Or I ride my bike just sure ambling down the streets, walking into the donut shop, walking back out of the donut shop, looking for somebody heavy to give your elliptical to one other thing on the move in my crap was I have so many things that I've moved that like it's a like a kind of a bookshelf where it's a lamp or whatever. Like I would never buy it. It's it's it's crappy, and I don't even need it, but I move it. It's just it's weird. The inertia of stuff. I kept thinking about that merry condo woman and the the what did she call that whole thing where you're supposed to hold up you hold up every item and see if it makes your heart singing. If it doesn't, you're supposed to throw it away, which makes more sense than not. I got so many things. It's just like I would never purchase this if somebody offered it to me in the street, I wouldn't say yes. But I have it, and I move it from house to house. What is that? It's weird. Yeah, the inertia of stuff or things that belong I don't even know what it is.
Speaker 3: Depends on your personality type and how you grew up too, right, the throwing something away that's perfectly good would not happen in my house as a kid, all right, exactly I've been familiar with spoiled, little rich kids who they would waste crap or get rid of crap or whatever. I mean anything to them. It's an odd It's like the flip side of a good quality. Like you say, you're not going to get rid of something that has value, that's usable. You're gonna use it until it's crap and then you'll replace it.
Speaker 4: Man.
Speaker 2: But yeah, I know. Hanson asked the question, is a dad, how many boxes of kids artwork do I have? I got several, not very big boxes, because you know, it doesn't make a lot of space, but I got quite a big kids art work through the years. I always think I'm gonna go through those one at a time someday, and maybe I will or maybe I won't. What did you do finally? You still have that? Or down to one box per kid? Okay? And the flat plastic boxes that are did you go through a painstakingly and pick out your favorite stuff? Yeah?
Speaker 3: We we curated it like a museum. Two Revolutionary War soldier uniforms is plenty.
Speaker 2: We don't need thirteen, and let's.
Speaker 3: Get a couple of Civil War era and then you know it's kind of curated.
Speaker 2: It now every every Birthday card, Father's Day card that I get in from my kids, I got all those still in one spot. Those aren't going anywhere until I die. No agreed, Ye are Strong?
Speaker 1: The Armstrong and Getty Show.
Speaker 3: So a couple of completely non political stories that I found very interesting, both about the human brain, love love, I love love. When you feel love, how does your brain light up? It was funny that I came across this because just the other day I was chatting with my daughter video chatting. I love her to my bones, and she's a pretty girl. But of course my feeling for her is completely different than that for my wife, for instance, which is different for my feeling for my dog, which is different from my feeling for music, which I love. And I was contemplating this, and lo and behold, here this comes out. Your researchers at a prominent university in Finland set out to explore the neural basis of love, and they came up with six different types romantic love, parental love, love, love for friends, love for strangers whatever that means, love for pets, and love for nature.
Speaker 2: Have you ever read Love in the Time of Cholera by Gabriel Garcia Marquez. That's I think I did. That's the whole premise of the book, and it was written very long time ago. But just he gets a crush on this girl when he's in grade school and then goes clear to their elderly. All the different stages of the different ways he loved this person, and it's really interesting. Yeah, wow, yeah, I read that years and years ago.
Speaker 3: Anyway, Their findings, published in Cerebral Cortex, suggested while all forms of love share a fair amount of overlap in your neural pathways, there are distinct differences in how our brains process these various types of affection, which is not that you know, revelatory. It's not shocking or anything. But as we understand the brain more and more and can see it and measure what it's doing more and more, I just I thought that was interesting.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I would agree. And I had a conversation I guess this would be well, it could be love and sex, But conversation with my son yesterday. We're talking about somebody and I said, I don't know, is that person you know, sixteen or twenty three? I can't tell the difference. And at this point in my life, and I said, oh, but that's an I think that's an evolutionary thing. It's so, you know, more, seventy year old guys aren't hitting on twenty year old women. You can't tell a child from a twenty five year old, So you just kind of stay away from that whole area of age for the most part, not entirely, you know, exceptions of billionaires and whatnot, But I think for the most part, they're all children to me. Now, even you know, people in the early twenties, so who are arguably grown women, Yeah, who are grown up. But I think it just keeps you away. I think I don't know that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I've got a bit of a gripe with that, but we don't really have time. You know what, instead of rushing through the next neurological study, I came across that I found really really interesting.
Speaker 2: Maybe we'll do it next segment. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Part of what you're talking about, I think is cultural the way people dress and act and wear makeup and stuff, which has.
Speaker 2: Changed very much.
Speaker 3: You just you would not see a middle schooler back in the day dressed in a provocative way wearing makeup has ever happened.
Speaker 2: Or even a high school kid not that not you know, not too many decades ago.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And I would say, just from a strictly biological point of view, I think a male would just look at a female and say of reproductive age or not of reproductive age on a purely cave men, I don't suggest we run our society like that.
Speaker 2: So you think it's cultural that keeps me away from most men as they get older, away from that younger cent. I don't know, it's complicated. I don't know. Striaking question, I don't actually know the answer to that mentioned badminton reminded me yesterday when I was out of gym class was like this for you when you were in school, or you Michael or U Katie. But back when I was younger and in school gym class they were so into like the rules of various games. We spend a lot of shire, like learning to play volleyball and the rules and stuff like that. I remember learning to play badminton and the rules of badminton and just all these different things. And my son pe this year at the grade level he's in right now, it's all like they go into the gym and work out, like you have a gym membership and you learn how to do that, or stretching or stuff like that. That seems like a way better idea. A lifelong understanding of this is a habit you should form. This is how you do it and do it the rest of your life. Weightlifting and stretching and stuff. As opposed to.
Speaker 3: Learning the rules of badminton, oh I disagree completely. Learning how to play games that will keep you fit for a lifetime.
Speaker 2: Is that what you've been doing. You've been playing badminton your whole life to stay in shape. Played a lot. He couldn't have picked up volleyball at some point quite easily. Yeah, you hit the ball back and forth in that. If it hits a ground, it's a point. Okay, here we go. Am I allowed to catch it and throw it?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 2: Okay, I got it. I thought that's awesome that he's learned about you know, how many reps, how many sets? You know, spreading out the different parts of your body. That is kind of cold, way handier. Don't we have time for both? Probably?
Speaker 3: Or what?
Speaker 2: Maybe? Why is it all arn nothing with you?
Speaker 4: When I when I was in high school, weightlifting was an elective, so that was like a special class you could take. But it would have been way more beneficial to just have that VPE right, Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, at the very least. Yeah, you pe three times a week. You're getting into the gym three times a week. Seems like a great idea for a teenager. Can I wear earbuds so you're thing? You get you to be able to listen to music? Well, yeah, what's your workout? Always hated? You're probably classical music your type? Listening to string quartets? Yes, o yoma, especially if it's leg day as it's different stuff.
Speaker 4: I can't work out without headphones.
Speaker 2: At the gym. I got the listening to the news.
Speaker 3: I can't because I'm constantly rewinding because I realized I was focused on the number of reps or whatever, and I just missed what Charlie Cook just said or whatever.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I got Jake Tapper on while I'm doing my get my swool on. You know my used to smoke in the van. She would sit in this van and smoke while we ran there with him. Non sit in his van.
Speaker 3: Yeah, correct, run, I'll be burning darts in my van if you need me.
Speaker 2: Ten more years of this before I can retire. With my picture.
Speaker 3: I think he had turning lung darts Armstrong and Getty.
Speaker 2: I think I word fast. Don't you think it's a little odd? Absolutely, there's no doubt in my mind.
Speaker 1: This is the Armstrong and Getty Show.
Speaker 2: And Getty we're featuring our podcast one more Thing. Find it wherever you find all your podcasts. This was so funny.
Speaker 3: I've been wanting to bring this to the radio show, but I just haven't gotten around to it. It's a story that is ostensibly about a judge in Beverly Hills who got pissed off that they're not cooperating with the state's laws for affordable housing. And the headline is in Beverly Hills, no kitchen remodels or pool grottos, as judge orders building moratorium over lack of affordable housing. Essentially, he blocked the city from issuing any building permits for anything, no matter how necessary or silly or mundane or whatever, until they approved a sufficient blueprint for affordable housing.
Speaker 2: So I got a nice piece of property, I got a lot of money, but a judge's saying, you don't need a grotto until we have more housed poor people rights.
Speaker 3: Expand your garage, or remodel your kitchen or put.
Speaker 2: In a pool or anything. Wow, that's what it's done. Yeah, now that's freedom the property I own. Somehow me taking my money and getting a grotto next to my pool has anything to do with poor people getting more housing. That is really a weird world you live in. Well, and it's.
Speaker 3: Clearly an activist judge who's taking politics into his own hands and trying to make a point. And it's it's in terms of property rights. It's an absolute nightmare, absolute nightmare. That's just a terrible way to look at the world though.
Speaker 2: I mean, that's just you. If somebody I don't even know gets a nicer stuff that makes me less happy, that's just weird. I think it's just leverage.
Speaker 3: It's purely leverage, and it's it's indefensible, I think. But if I were going to defend it, I would hit you with the rest of the story. Okay, can the late Paul Harvey sue me for that or his or his kin folk? That was parody anyway, So they quote various people about how outrageous it is and the rest of it. But then they get into that Beverly Hills where entreprene and entertainers from Jeff Bezos to Leonardo DiCaprio and Taylor swift own mansions, opulent hotels attract well heeled visitors, and glamorous boutiques make rodeo dry blah.
Speaker 2: Blah blah shopping blah blah blah, and.
Speaker 3: So okay, great. We all know that, but I hadn't realized. I'm only dimly aware of the fact that there's a fifty year old state law that requires local governments to plan for a growing population and allow people of all incomes to live in every community. It's like an anti Nimby law not in my backyard, passed in nineteen seventy ish, seventy five ish to make sure that the growing population would be a would be accommodated everywhere in California, and like rich Enclaves couldn't keep people out.
Speaker 2: Maybe you like that idea, maybe you don't.
Speaker 3: But Beverly Hill's efforts to invade that are hilarious, hilarious, And that's.
Speaker 2: The part of the article.
Speaker 3: I'm glad I read the whole thing, because you'd never know it from the first you know, quite a few paragraphs. So in nineteen seventy the population in Beverly Hills was thirty three thousand, four hundred thirty three thousand, four hundred. Today it is thirty two thousand and four hundred, so it's declined by a thousand people. Over the same period, the number of California residents has nearly has doubled to nearly forty million people. So while the population of California has doubled, Beverly Hills found a way to kick outdred one thousand people and become even more exclusive.
Speaker 2: I didn't know Beverly Hills itself was that small. And aside, having just read the Charlie Chaplin autobiography, his good friend Douglas Fairbanks, famous actor, had a ranch there, and he go out to Douglas Fairbanks ranch and they would ride horses. They love being in Beverly Hills because it was so far from Los Angeles and the roads were so bad, just one rutted dirt road that nobody would come out there to visit. So they are all alone. Isn't that interesting to picture? Yeah? Near early twentieth century.
Speaker 3: And who was who was the actor I read about? He was kind of Fred McMurray. I think it was who was the dad on my three sons? And you know, he'd play the stiff, upstanding, stoic guy in movies, or maybe a cowboy or something like that. But here was his fine actor, but not a big star. But I think it was him, and don't assue me if I'm wrong, But he said, wow, La Metro seems to be grown out in this direction.
Speaker 2: I'll bet it'd be a good investment.
Speaker 3: To buy a load of land out in Beverly Hills and San Fernando Valley wherever it was.
Speaker 2: And he became like mind bogglingly wealthy through that.
Speaker 3: And was like an institution in that area, just because he had foresight about real estate.
Speaker 2: Anyway, so we've gotten a little off track, but it does matter who cares.
Speaker 3: So anyway, they have been incredibly effective at having no population growth.
Speaker 2: No poor people know.
Speaker 3: Nothing, in defiance of all state law, says Thomas White, chair of the Municipal League, a sixty year old civic organization. We have intentionally created a desirable environment by deliberately avoiding over development and over densification.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's what we all want.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so over densification is kind of funny.
Speaker 2: So under the law, every state every eight.
Speaker 3: Years, the state of cal Unicornea, which is of course where realism goes to die, tells all cities how many new homes they need to accommodate every eight years. In the cycle before this one, Beverly Hills total was three, an amount so miniskeule. Given the depths of California's housing problems that it invited national attention. So in an effort to combat widespread housing affordability, reduce carbon emissions, blah blah blah, there have been a series of unrealistic laws passed in Calfornia. No longer would wealthy enclaves get a pass, citing the discriminatory effects of low density zoning laws and research showing better economic and health outcomes for low income families that can move to richer areas. So in the current period, Beverly Hills target under the housing plan jumped to thirty one hundred and four homes, So from what was it before? Two three? So from three to thirty one hundred homes, you've got to build them, and three quarters of them have to be affordable to low and middle income residents.
Speaker 2: High day, Yeah, how old, hey do that? Well?
Speaker 3: So Beverly Hills, which of course has lots and lots of super rich lawyers there and can can figure out a way around these laws. Kept putting forth plans for how they're going to provide, you know, thousands of new affordable housing units, and the state has rejected five in a row now, most recently in December, California Housing Department officials said this city is overestimating how many of its commercial properties could add residential development and criticize the plan on fair housing grounds because it wasn't putting housing in the cities wider and more affluent areas.
Speaker 2: All right, I know this seems kind of dry to you. Here's what I'm working up to.
Speaker 3: The judge after they rejected the latest plan, pointed out that Beverly Hills is counting on medical office buildings and car dealerships to convert to housing, despite the city's own concession that it's unlikely to happen. For instance, in their plan, they set an Audie dealership on Wiltshire Boulevard that was just renovated as a car dealership. It could be turned into forty one apartments, and of.
Speaker 2: Course you go to the Audi dealer and he's like, what the hell are you talking about?
Speaker 3: And so Beverly Hills is cooking up these utterly fictional plans to the state. Yes, we're going to turn the OUTI dealer into forty one affordable apartments.
Speaker 2: And the I was gonna say, McDonald's, I don't suppose. There's probably McDonald's in Beverly Hills. I don't know.
Speaker 3: But and of course this grocery store is going to become three hundred units. And again you go to the grocery store owner and they're like, I have no idea what you're talking about. This is a profitable grocery store. We have no plans to change it. And so the super rich, who I guarantee you if you pulled them, would be left of Obama, right, they'd be left of Bernie Sanders. They haven't voted for an r in one hundred and ten years, are doing are going to extraordinary lengths to evade all of this stuff.
Speaker 2: This is the sort of thing Tucker Carlson Noise used to talk about that I was really on board with. Is how a lot of your powerful lefties are in favor of all these policies that don't affect them. They're fine with it affecting everybody else, Like ninety nine point nine percent of people just not that hop wrong we don't want a legal immigration to get into our neighborhood. We don't want to have you know, low housing, income housing in our neighborhood, but all of the rest of the state should. I mean, it's classic socialism. Really, the very people, the very top like all this equality. As long as long as I get more than everybody else, there should be plenty of equality beneath me, right right, freaking maddening.
Speaker 4: It's like when you see those Man on the Street videos where the guy goes up to the people participating in the Sanctuary City protest where everybody gets a home and they're welcome and goes, okay, well let them come to your house. I'm like, oh, well, I don't have room, and no right, it's everybody else's problem.
Speaker 3: I would love to see a list of Gavin Newsom's top one hundred donors and then see a map of their homes and how close any affordable housing is to them, or even like a house that the median income earner in California could afford. I'll bet it's like miles to the nearest house that's under a million bucks.
Speaker 2: I mean from yeah, well, I hate this sort of law in general, but if you're going to let the super wealthy and connected get away with not having to obey it. It's like ten times worse.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, you know, there's plenty I disagree with Tucker on these days, but that point he makes, it's what.
Speaker 2: Oh gosh, who's uh Peggy Noonan.
Speaker 3: We're talking about her editorial recently that was so good about why Trump has as much support as he does, and she's talking about the protected.
Speaker 2: Class and the unprotected class.
Speaker 3: You can unleash whatever stupid ass policies or decisions or economic moves or whatever. The protected class isn't going to suffer an iota. They'll be perfectly fine. And that's what we're talking about here, the protected class that has gone to lengths that are utterly comedic to make sure their neighborhoods remain exclusive, civily enclaves of the super rich and powerful, even while demanding the rest of us, you know, go through whatever gyrations they demand to do the good that they think on a happening.
Speaker 2: Do they know how hypocritical they are when they are on stage getting their oscar and talking about equality in the downtrodden, But they won't let any lower income housing in their neighborhood. I mean, do they realize that or do they somehow do some mental gymnastics to get out of that.
Speaker 3: I think, in my experience, including my personal experience inside my own head, human beings have an unbelievable capacity to shove something out.
Speaker 2: Do they actually believe they're of like a different cast that.
Speaker 3: Doesn't I think they Again, they have like a lurking guilt, but they.
Speaker 2: Keep it at bay or I donate so much to charity that it's fine. That doesn't allow Yeah.
Speaker 3: Well, and the up and property values would be absolutely catastrophic, and you just you can't ask. I would not ask somebody in you know, the San Fernando Valley, name your you know, your your suburb. I would not ask somebody to have that sort of burden personally. And and so then they get to portray themselves as I'm I'm actually I'm not standing up for me. I'm standing up for middle class people who don't want to see so that it needs to be done carefully. I'm in favor of affordable housing, but it needs to be done in a way that's smart and efficient. And and wait a minute, what else would oh and recognizes environmental imperatives as right right, right right. And we have a great deal of green space here in Beverly Hills, and I employ so many people.
Speaker 2: I employ gardeners and pool people and a grotto scrubber.
Speaker 4: Jeez, grotto scrubber ever ruined the word grotto?
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly. Grotto's are no longer enjoyable.
Speaker 4: You used to like to go to the Fisherman's Grotto in San Francisco when it was still open.
Speaker 2: Never again ruined. You get mildo and your mildew and your grotto.
Speaker 4: Oh, I swear, I swear all cross. Usually you're the one that keeps the class in the operation. What are you doing?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't know. I've given up.
Speaker 1: Jack Armstrong and Joe Armstrong.
Speaker 2: And Getty Show.
Speaker 3: This is the Armstrong and Getty Show featuring our podcast One More Thing, Get it wherever you like to get podcasts.
Speaker 2: So this song? Do enough people know the original song for this to me? I guess we're assuming.
Speaker 3: So it was a big and if you don't, you know grab it.
Speaker 2: It was about a kid going over to his friend's house and he recognizes that his friend's mom is kind of hot and he wishes he could get with her.
Speaker 3: Well, yeah, specifically he's going over to his girlfriend's house. Thing can I don't want to be with you, I want to be with your mom short of and so we've got that. I haven't heard this thing any other setup required king.
Speaker 4: Uh, this is it's basically talking about how now.
Speaker 2: That we're older, this song is okay, gotcha? Okay? I have so many quistions. Now for Stacy's mom.
Speaker 4: Stacy's mom, why did she come out with just a twl.
Speaker 2: That's a good push towel.
Speaker 4: When she knew that he was gone and mow her grass, low her grass.
Speaker 2: Stacy's mom is like the people Chris Hansen with p dancing with.
Speaker 3: Growing up, it was a fantasy, but it's a little.
Speaker 2: Different now than I'm thirty three.
Speaker 3: Stacy's she put some clues so wrong, says something wrong.
Speaker 2: That's pretty clever.
Speaker 3: That's funny. I missed that one line in the middle that you guys thought was so funny being called by Chris Hanson, the guy who does the Predator.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that is funny.
Speaker 4: You're seeming like one of the people Chris Hansen would hatch.
Speaker 2: Answered the catch. Oh that's beautiful. He goes on and one of the things he goes.
Speaker 4: Could you imagine if it was Stacy's dad, how bad this?
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, but you're right. You got your daughter's teenage boyfriend at the house. You don't come out and just a towel and flaunt it. That makes you a weirdo. It could be a felony that I'm thirty three seems kind of weird. Something's wrong with Stacy's fall.
Speaker 3: I always it's the thing I liked about Fountains of Wayne was how they were willing to not take themselves seriously at all, with like pooh ooh, ooh ooh.
Speaker 2: Nobody nobody would sing that like.
Speaker 3: Poo ooh ooh, no no, and then it's perfect, incredibly well crafted pop music.
Speaker 2: I mean really good. My son, my twelve year old's favorite song from that album, he just loves it so much, as that one about I'm gonna get my together.
Speaker 3: Oh I can't live like this forever? Yeah, yeah, yeah. Fountains of Wayne, May they flow forever in our hearts.
Speaker 2: I was actually surprised, and then I'll be done talking about Fountains wayn because I don't know how many people know who that band is, but they have several songs, quite a few songs that are about modern life, about like the modern workplace. And I thought, Okay, that's gonna become a thing because it's so relatable for young people, you know, in their experiences with modern workplace. But it hasn't. And I don't know why, but I thought that would become a genre of music, you know, just modern.
Speaker 3: Cubicle life, cubicle rock. Yeah, that doesn't sound attractive. Wow, Well, they have several great songs that are great about it.
Speaker 4: But that's actually brilliant because think about the show The Office.
Speaker 2: How that's coffee? Did that musically exactly?
Speaker 3: Also known as cashier pop, dead end job?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: What does bts? The Korean kids sing about love and of course nobody's in nobody has sex in Korea, so why bother right?
Speaker 2: Crushes? They all have crushes and giggle about it, I guess, but never actually get to see there. You know, they never get to hit it like a CHAMPI if you know what I'm saying. Yeah, which is tragic. Quick question for you, what if you happen to miss this unbelievable radio program.
Speaker 3: The answer is easy, friends, just download our podcast Armstrong and Getty on demand. It's the podcast version of The Badcast Show, Available anytime, any day, every single podcast platform known demand.
Speaker 2: Download it now Armstrong and Getty on demand Barnstraw and Getty