Speaker 1: Hey, folks, it is Thursday, July tenth, and didty he got a key to the city and now he had to give it back. Howard University gave him an honorary degree. He had to give that back to But you know what, he doesn't have to get back his four hundred million dollar fortune. And with that, everybody, welcome to this Didy update episode of Amy and TJ. Rose. We talk about it was such a big win for him in the courtroom with that verdict. That verdict gave him a very big win in his finances.
Speaker 2: That's correct because had he been convicted of the more serious charges sex trafficking and of course those that Rico charge, racketeering and conspiracy, the Feds would then have been able to justify seizing every piece of property that was used while committing those crimes, including his mansions, including his private plane where there were alleged incidents happening, including pretty much everything he owns to transport and participate in his life, because that would have been a part of his criminal enterprise.
Speaker 3: You can argue, Rose that that's everything, every bit of bad boy, every bit of his business, is every bit of everything you were reaping benefits all of this was a whole organization working and they could go after that money.
Speaker 1: I didn't piece it together at the time because I think most of us were thinking about verdict and jail time. Yes, but this is enormous for Sean Combs to be able to hold on to assets, a huge fortune. Look, yes, we're going to get into some of the stuff that is going out. Money is not coming in as quickly or at all or at all. And again, but it's weird to think. Yes, so much was lost during his trial, and so many victims and so much pain, But financially speaking, this was enormous for him to hear not guilty on racketeering.
Speaker 2: It's true because this was one of the wealthiest black men in the world, fair to say, certainly in this country, and there was so much at stake, and he was facing losing his freedom but also everything he had earned throughout his life, perhaps that he wanted to pass on to his children and their children. They talked about. The prosecution talked about him having an enterprise, and that a criminal enterprise, and that was certainly not believed necessarily by the jury or a lot of folks who were listening. But he did have an empire, so to speak. I mean he was called a music mogul.
Speaker 1: And it all started, of course with music. You go back to the nineties, a lot of people didn't maybe initially know the name Puffy or p Diddy, but Notorious Vig Biggie Smalls. Like, even if you didn't know his music, which most people do, you still remembered how he was killed, how Tupac was killed. Right, he was such a part of the culture. You know him did he was right behind him producing those albums and pushing and pushing and pushing one of the biggest stars hip hop has. So that's where it started. But Robes he took hip hop and music and hits, and then he built an empire. And that's why we call him a mogal. Now had he had a long list of things that he was successful.
Speaker 2: Yes, it wasn't just Bad Boy records, but he also had Remember the clothing line Sean John that was everywhere. I feel like I still see it sometimes on the streets of New York. He had a television network, Revolt TV.
Speaker 1: Network, based down in Atlanta. I remember going by that place before. I had friends that worked there.
Speaker 2: Definitely heard about his alcohol companies right, Sarrak vodka daily on Tequila Soirak I'm more familiar with and those that got those, Yeah, and just I was just looking at the ads. Actually he no longer is a part of them or affiliated with them, but it's very sexy, it's very European and he was certainly a big promoter of it until all of this. And I didn't know this, but he had a water company, Aqua Hydrate.
Speaker 1: Alkaline water company, owned it with Mark, I believe, and then they ended up building it up, selling it for a mint and still had shares in it. So he was doing great. And look, don't take our word for it. There are people who keep up with these numbers. He was a regular at Forbes. He was on list after list, year after year, and as recently rose as two thousand. That wasn't that long ago. He was still making the list as one of the most well paid celebrities.
Speaker 2: In this country, highest earning celebrities. He made the list on two thousand, but I'm sorry. He made some pretty incredible lists after that. On Forbes five back in twenty seventeen, the richest in Hip hop eight hundred and twenty million dollars. That's how much. Forbes said he was worth in twenty seventeen, and that put him.
Speaker 1: Number one on the list of hip hop earners that year, that above who else, Doctor Dre. I think jay Z was number two. I think Kanye is on the list to keep going through. I think now, I mean Drake was getting going at that point. Those are the name some of the biggest names, and he was number one on top.
Speaker 2: Of the all number one twenty nineteen. He was reportedly worth seven hundred and forty million. That's what you keep hearing people refer back to. And most folks say he was well on his way to billionaire status. And I believe there were folks within the Combs camp who said, before all of this happened, before the allegations first surfaced from Cassie, he had a billion I don't think it was ever proven, but they definitely said he was a billionaire when that lawsuit came about just what a year and a half ago, thirteen.
Speaker 1: Yeah, a year and a half ago. I mean, so he was doing well. If he's not on top of the music industry anymore, in the past couple of years, he was still doing well. The latest estimates had his value at least at trial time, if you will, at around four hundred million dollars. So that's what we're talking about him going into this trial, if you will, if you believe the estimates, he was sitting on about four hundred million dollars. So lawsuit start getting dropped, and then Cassie's lawsuit drops.
Speaker 2: He settles that one twenty million dollars out of pocket.
Speaker 1: Start doing some math there, twenty million dollars out of pocket and nobody knows what these civil lawsuits, how that's gonna go down. But that's a lot of lawyers, a lot of lawyers.
Speaker 2: Even if you aren't paying out, even if you don't even reach a settlement and you make them go away, you're still paying your lawyers to handle each and every one of those lawsuits. And this is actually a true statement. When you google and you try to find out just how many civil lawsuits there are now against Diddy, it's too many to count. I don't know that anyone has an accurate number, that's but dozens and dozens is what people typically are reporting. But that's kind of insane when you think about it. There are so many lawsuits against you, I'm sure they're all in the millions, and there are too many to count.
Speaker 1: So that's lawyers. Forget the settlements that might come, but that's lawyers. There isn't even an estimate of how much that can cost him. So he's sitting on four hundred million. It's minus twenty for Cassie. Now, how much does his defense team cost? The best in the business? Was it eight of them? I think, working NonStop for you since about twenty twenty three.
Speaker 2: I cannot even imagine how much. I know how much the little bit of lawyers fees that I had to pay for a couple of days worth of work, and that was seven figures, So I can't imagine what is it one hundred million dollars now I'm discussing, No, but at least at least fifty million, twenty five million.
Speaker 1: They well, the estimates of the experts out there say it's at least eight figures. Obviously in the eight figures, but ten fifteen is where they land. I don't know, how does that sound high? Does it sound low? That's a lot of money, no matter what.
Speaker 2: Well, there were so many lawyers too, with all big names and big firms and pair.
Speaker 1: Of legals, and that everybody's working around the clot you know what, it worked. Whatever he spent, it was worth it.
Speaker 2: It was worth it. It was an investment in his freedom.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, So money isn't coming necessarily back in music though he is still and has been making it for the past couple of years. If you have not noticed, Diddy has put out I guess a critically acclaimed or at least Grammy nominated album just in the past couple of years.
Speaker 2: Twenty twenty three love album Off the Grid Grammy nominated, and as a part of that whole process he had and I didn't realize this jenomena, the Age of Pleasure. He was a part of that, and she actually was nominated as well. The same year twenty twenty three, he had two Grammy nominations.
Speaker 1: So they don't have a lot, at least on the slate of bad Boy artists. You can't name it to have big projects or have big tours of doing anything big at this point. But bad Boy is still operational as of two years ago, put out two albums that actually.
Speaker 2: Were critically acclaimed.
Speaker 1: We're critically acclaimed.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: That does not mean necessarily that bad Boy Enter two is bawling at this point, but his streaming music is everywhere, I mean, his own stuff, but he's a producer on so much. He's just so present all over in streaming and robes, at least at this point most I mean, he's not disappearing from the streaming sites.
Speaker 2: No, not at all. In fact, this was an interesting tidbit. His music saw a twenty percent boost in US streaming between April and May of twenty twenty five. Why then, hmmm, because it's so interesting. Apparently, if you're making headlines, even for all the bad, worst reasons, you can imagine people are interested and click on your music and listen to it. And that is exactly what happened. In fact, an article said that you actually could watch the numbers, the streaming numbers jump when key moments were happening in the trial. Throughout the trial in May, so when Cassie testified, they said, boom, they saw a spike in his music. When Kid Cutty testified, spike probably in both of theiric music. But it was completely tied to headlines and interest in people going on and saying, let me take a listen to that.
Speaker 1: Can we admit I've listened to Cassie songs in the past two three months and I haven't listened to a Cassie song in years probably, So whatever that is, it just gets to you and you just automatically start listening.
Speaker 2: Well, I start listening to lyrics differently too, because now suddenly they don't sound the same to me. So that's been interesting. I think there's some sort of interest in that too, Like what was he saying? Was he telling us what he was doing? Was he was he acting like he was someone else? Or is the person who we're hearing all about behind the scenes from a sexual standpoint not that different from the guy who's singing those lyrics.
Speaker 1: It sounds different. We had some stuff on. Yes, I didn't sound like the Diddy. We no, no, we now.
Speaker 2: Know, but I will say, but people are fickle. They don't stick with you.
Speaker 1: Funny enough.
Speaker 2: This last month in June, you know, when the trial was kind of waiting and interest it got a little more boring with connecting the dots and people who were testifying about things other than baby oil and freak offs. There was a five to ten percent decrease in downloads from the months before, so people were like, eh, I'm over it.
Speaker 1: I haven't seen though that there has he's taken a hit necessarily like a backlash, you willga.
Speaker 2: No, quite the opposite. No, not. In fact, if you say they were a twenty percent jump in April and May and they're only dropped five or ten percent in June, they're still up from before.
Speaker 1: Since his arrest, and says the Cassie video, even I don't remember doing stories about people running. They some brands were running from him. But I don't remember listeners or stories about his streaming or have huge dips or anything like that. I don't know if it ever happened with him.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean we've had this conversation plenty when other artists have been charged with heinous crimes, from Michael Jackson to who's the most recent, Smokey Robinson. You know, I think people actually probably start listening more, they start getting fascinated, they're reminded by it. And yes, some people, of course are going to be turned off by it and never listen to them again. But I don't think that's most people. I think most people do the opposite.
Speaker 1: What do we do with that? And I'm doing We've done it subconsciously. I don't even I'm looking a wow at twenty percent jump. What are people thinking? Well, I'm thinking about myself. I do the same damn thing. This morning we were reporting on allegations against Smokey Robinson. We played nothing but Smokey Robinson songs probably that morning just cut like subconsciously, it just came on.
Speaker 2: Apparently we're just like everyone else, because it shows very clearly that that is indeed what people do. It's true and you know what, that's just I think human nature. And what about did he sun putting out music?
Speaker 1: Was it King Comb's King Kombs Never Stop and it had the song? Did he free on it? I don't know that could read. This is the timing and poor taste and seeming to take advantage of a moment. But hey, he wanted to put something out and express himself as Dad's life is on the line. But yeah, that's out now. I don't know how that's doing.
Speaker 2: I did find it interesting that the project that King Combs and Yay Kanye released together was released by do you know this company? Goodfellas Entertainment. I just thought that was oh so ironic given how they were trying to convict Didy on racketeering and conspiracy charges normally reserved for members of the mafia or mob. So just the fact that Goodfella's entertainment released that just wasn't lost on me. That's all I'm saying.
Speaker 1: I could you piecing it all together? Well, folks, stay with us. We got a couple more things to piece together here, Sean John, You remember that clothing line. It seemed to be everywhere for a long time. Well, we can tell you one place you certainly won't find it. When retailer says uh uh no more and reco what exactly is that? And how has he now been saved from losing his four hundred million dollars? All right, folks, we talked about did he's music. We've talked about his estimated worth. We've talked about streaming numbers. We've talked about what he is losing, if you will. Robes, we were talking about Sarrac and d Leon, his liquor companies. I believe he did. He's not involved with Sarac anymore.
Speaker 2: No. They He actually got into a legal dispute. He didn't feel like he was being fairly represented, and so as a part of that legal dispute and was a part of the settlement, he gave over the rights to both of those liquors. So they're still going strong, but just zero affiliation with Ditty anymore.
Speaker 1: And he was everywhere promoting that for a long time, and that thing took off.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Well, allegations that he wasn't given the same support as other celebrities and that he was only being used basically to make an appearance of diversity versus actually making an investment in diversity. So he was very upset about that.
Speaker 1: Well, it worked because I was all about the rock locker and some of those flavors for a little while. He also has Sean John the clothing line. Now this wasn't Sean. This was an early one that people got away from when the Cassie video came out.
Speaker 2: Yes, I definitely stopped seeing that really very often, but specifically Macy's. Yes, cut ties with him and just it basically, what do they say, it's on pause? They didn't really say it's over dormant. It's dormant that I used on pause. But so perhaps they're hoping it could come back. But it was all the rage in the ninety I just was it the oughts? Is that what we call it? The two thousands? Yeah, I'm trying at the aughts. I feel like that's where I saw so many Sean John clothing everywhere.
Speaker 1: It was everywhere, and I haven't seen it lately, so that's kind of going away. So he doesn't have a throat music industry, he doesn't have a thriving liquor industry anymore, he doesn't have a thriving clothing line anymore. So what does did? He does? He is able to hold onto his money. But again we keep saying Rico, Rico, Rico, Rico. Racketeer influenced corrupt organizations is what that stands for. And again it was specifically created to go after mob bosses. It's particularly created so the guy at the bottom running on the street doing the bidding of the guy at the top, Well, the guy at the bottom isn't the only one that's going to get in trouble. It's the guy at the top. That is essentially what RICO is. You're running an enterprise, okay, did he has not been found guilty of running an enterprise and robes This was everything because a big part of RICO, they have specific laws attached to them that they forfeit your loss. Correct that right can take your shit.
Speaker 2: They can take it all because they say if it was either used in the criminal process or whatever crimes to your community, it was a part of that transportation, entertainment, whatever. If anything was happening in any of those properties that you owned, that they could then be seized. And also if any of your profits that you gleaned from having or been committing criminal acts, if you're using that to purchase things, they can take that away from you as well. So you know all, I only know this from watching mob movies, and you know, the wives of like, all of a sudden, their homes are being that's accurate, taken away, their cars are being taken there. They're trying to hide their jewelry. This is what movie was that was it? The Godfather trying to hide things that the government won't take it. That's how I'm like, yeah, you're right, that does happen.
Speaker 1: No, you're right, And I watch mob documentaries and that's exactly how it goes down on those as well. Yes, they will take everything. They're going to go after everything with robes. This is interesting. Now they could go after something of his that he used in prostitution. The law is, but he didn't fly.
Speaker 2: Them to him, but he flew Cassie and Jane on those planes, which were a part of the prostitution.
Speaker 3: I wonder.
Speaker 2: I know he didn't get charged with sex trafficking, but.
Speaker 1: That plane, Oh oh no, this doesn't count.
Speaker 2: It doesn't doesn't know it's only the male. So I don't know for a prostitution they could because we'll see how this goes. But there have been legal experts who believe the prosecution is going to try and have his past deeds that he admitted be considered in sentencing. So I wonder if they could also consider past deeds that he admitted, including domestic violence or any of the above, if those happened in any of his properties, could they then go after those properties?
Speaker 1: Is it worth it to them at this point? Maybe they think they might be seeking more justice, or they might be saying, do we need to take another l We've already stretched ourselves and see where God is? Do we need to do this again and get more egg on our face? Who knows?
Speaker 2: We shall see, but I'm sure at the very least it does look like from most financial experts, most legal experts will say that not only did did he dodge a huge basically a huge bullet in terms of his freedom, but he also dodged a huge financial one as well.