Speaker 1: You are listening to the Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 2: It's our two on this Tuesday. Our good buddy Chris Mannix will stop by. We'll recap what we saw last night, wild final thirty seconds as the Knicks go up two to oh and the Sixers down twenty. The Nuggets come back and win it at the buzzer, Tonight's Suns, Timberwolf's Pacers, Bucks, Mavericks, and the Clippers. We say good morning. If you're watching on Peacock, thank you for allowing us into your home. And our radio affiliates around the country, numbering over four hundred cities that carry this program. Dan's Deals announced tomorrow in the newsletter Okay, Mother's Day. We've done this the last two years and it's first come, first serve. We got a lot of great products here at huge discounts, and all you do is just place your order shows up and Mother's Day is going to be great, high quality products for Mother's Day at massive discounts.
Speaker 3: And we'll have all.
Speaker 2: That information for you in tomorrow's newsletter at dan Patrick dot com. Out of the Day stat of the Day brought to you by Pena America, the official Trading Cards of The Dan Patrick Show. The nixt scored eight points in the final twenty seven seconds to beat the Sixers. It's the first time a team won a playoff game after trailing by five or more in the final thirty seconds since the Miami heat rallied to beat San Antonio. That was Game six of the twenty thirteen NBA Finals.
Speaker 4: Ooh, how stead of a day, stall of a day, Statuta day, Statuta day, this.
Speaker 5: Is the stat of the day.
Speaker 2: The Lakers led for forty four minutes and fifty six seconds of last night's loss. The teams were tied for two minutes and twenty seconds. Denver led for a total of forty four seconds. And in case you're wondering, and I know you are, NBA teams winning the first two games of a best of seven series have an all time winning percentage of just over ninety two percent.
Speaker 3: All right, oh oh yeah, the.
Speaker 1: Day, start of the day, start of the day.
Speaker 6: Scotup day startup, dat day startup?
Speaker 2: Alrighty, whole question for hour two is gonna be one seaton O'Connor.
Speaker 4: We got up there right now, team down to most likely to make a comeback. Sixers have jumped the head big in that one, followed by the Magic I don't know if the Lakers coming in and last is more about the Lakers or that it's the Nuggets that they're playing. It might just be more a comment on the strength of the Nuggets than it might be a commentary about the Lakers as well. That the Nuggets. I mean, the Nuggets aren't unbeatable. When you think of great like all time great teams, the Nuggets don't strike me as an all time great team. However, now if they win another title, like you can't be an all time great team. I don't think like the two thousand and eight Celtics, like they won a title, you would think they were. They won many titles, you know, like the Bears when they won their Super Bowl. Okay, yeah, yeah, you know when the Giants won, or you know, the Mets won the World Series and then they didn't win after that, the Giants when they won and then they didn't win after that. With those with that group, like you got to win at least two titles, two titles maybe in three years, then you can venture into wow, they were a great team.
Speaker 7: Yes, Marvin, the Nuggets are looking like a Jugger. Not right now, so if they win this year.
Speaker 2: Yeah, then I think we can look at you know, are they a great like you know, Connecticut's basketball team, the men's basketball team. What they did in the tournament the last two years would probably dictate their one of the great teams of all time. Now, they don't have star power, but if I look at the margin of victory, they have dominated people like we haven't seen before. Now do you consider Connecticut a one of the great teams of all time? Do I put them up there with Duke or UNLV go back to UCLA days, Kentucky tem you know, do they fit into that category? And they probably don't because people if I said, hey, how about all those great players on Connecticut, the first name you bring up is the coach. But a lot of these other teams you bring up their players and their coach. Is Denver a great team?
Speaker 8: Yes, point, Marvin, I were talking about this, I would be close to taking the Nuggets versus the field in the NBA playoffs a week ago.
Speaker 9: I would have done it probably.
Speaker 8: I mean, they feel that they feel like they have the least question marks.
Speaker 2: Well, the only other team that you view as being on par with them would be Boston as far as you know what they did over the course of the season and that they're got talent. Uh, they're They're a great team. The Boston Celtics have the potential.
Speaker 3: To be a great team.
Speaker 2: I don't know if people look at Denver and go, they have a great player, they have the best player in the game. But I think people would be hard pressed to go. You know who else plays for that team?
Speaker 1: Now?
Speaker 2: You know Jamal Murray from last night hadn't had an All Star appearance. Aaron Gordon, he was a slam dunk champ, Michael Porter. Oh, he's the guy whose brother bet against his own team. He used to be the guy with the back is yes, yes, yes, What would you rather have talk about your bad back or talk about your brother who bet against his own team?
Speaker 3: Mike Malone or Michael Malone?
Speaker 2: You know, once again, you're not I don't think maybe we don't give Denver enough credit because of where they play, or how many times are you watching those games?
Speaker 3: Are they exciting to watch?
Speaker 2: You know, maybe it's East Coast bias here, but I don't think you're gonna go. Man, I'd put those Nuggets up against Kobe and Shack. I'd put them up against Mike and Scottie. I'd put them up against you know, Birds Celtic, Like you're not doing that, and those are the you know, some of the greatest teams of all time.
Speaker 7: Yes, so if they win this year, they might end up being in the chem Elijau on ninety four ninety five Rockies.
Speaker 3: Yes.
Speaker 7: Like you know what, for a two year stretch, they were the best team in basketball.
Speaker 2: The best player in basketball wasn't playing them, Mike. But I want to hold out against I know, but I people do. I mean, they hold it against Lebron he won a title, win a bubble. You know, we're we're we conveniently look for ways to strengthen an argument or take away your strength on your argument.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Paul, I.
Speaker 8: Think you're dead on about the Nuggets is the lack of coverage makes them seem like they're not great, But it's they don't have any drama. They win a lot of ball games now. Their players really get in any trouble.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 8: Their coach he gets a little fired up sometimes, but they don't play to the media.
Speaker 9: They remind me a little little bit more.
Speaker 8: Of the Spurs fifteen years ago, where they're constant. Yeah, I know they knew at being constant, but I think an educated basketball person if they were saying, I'm going to bet on the NBA Finals a week ago and you could only pick one team, I bet most people would pick the the Nuggets.
Speaker 9: Yeah, they're that much of it.
Speaker 2: But if you look at the coverage, and you know, the Lakers are the Dallas Cowboys. Now, the Lakers have had better results than the Cowboys have, but nobody, nobody comes close to the Cowboys for coverage. All of the other NFL teams combined don't get more coverage than Dallas does. And with the Lakers, what team gets more coverage than the Lakers do? No One, No one. And you know they barely get into the playoffs and you know they're down two. But this will be about the Lakers. It won't be about Denver being up to oh and it should be because Joker, once again is doing things that nobody's done before. Nobody's done this in forty eight years, have at least twenty five points, at least twenty rebounds, at least ten assists. He has done that in four career playoff games. The rest of the NBA all time as a total of four. That's Will twice, Dave Collens once, Kareem did it once. So these are incredible numbers that he's putting up, and it just doesn't feel like that coverage is there.
Speaker 3: I think they.
Speaker 2: Almost need to be, and it's hard to do that where you're trying how do you manufacture coverage? Now the Mothership? How much coverage are they going to have with Denver? Their NBA today will be about what the Lakers and you know, the Sixers. It probably won't be about the Knicks, and it won't be about Denver.
Speaker 8: Yeah, pung, Yeah, being consistently good, there's not a lot of storylines to play with. It's like over the years of Saint Louis Cardinals in baseball, Hey guess what, They're going to win eighty eight games and get into the playoffs, probably do some damage, you know, there's not a lot of drama around the franchise.
Speaker 2: Now we are trying to give a little bit more love to the Knicks because it is New York and they're a good story. This year they won in dramatic fashion and uh boy, give credit to Mike Breen. Here's the call the final twenty seven seconds eight on.
Speaker 10: The twenty four Devincenzo contor de Brunson side step three plutter shot.
Speaker 3: Hets God took the bouncing one in two point game, We'll not loose.
Speaker 10: Then Maxi gets knocked down, Heart takes it away. I'll top to Devin Chanzoh his shot, don't go hardst teign the rebound. Hartenstein gets it out to Adenoby defen chenzho a three bag dam next take a one point lead, but thirty eight seconds.
Speaker 2: Remaining, Damn Mike, don't win the Sports Emmy right in front of me.
Speaker 3: That was great double bang bang, Yes, ma'am.
Speaker 7: The crazy part about this next team they have a small market feel yes, like and grind. They feel like Memphis.
Speaker 2: You're right, it's a great call. Uh So a wild finished there elsewhere. Zack Wilson got traded to the Broncos. Now, how much of this him being a bust is on the Jets. Like justin fields, you'll find you know, Bears fans will say, well, the Bears did this to him. Certain teams tend to do this. You know, the Jets did this to Sam Darnold, you know, like they let him down, you know, didn't give him enough weapons. The Patriots did this to Mac Jones. But Zach Wilson now going to Denver. I think they're going to draft a quarterback. They probably should because it's Zack Wilson and Jarrett Stidham. But Zach Wilson with Sean Payton, Okay, I'd like to see. You know, he got out of the Aaron Rodgers, uh, you know, shadow and the Jets dysfunction, and now he goes to Denver. Okay, he took a flyer on him, got a lot of talent. Let's see if Sean Payton can sprinkle some magic quarterback dust on him and he's only twenty four. I think that's the key. I think he came in and titled you know, sometimes you're like, all right, I'm coming in, Like you got to earn it. Once you get into the league, no matter what league it is, that's when the job starts. Sometimes you're like, yeah, I'm second pick overall, number one pick of now's when you got to work because it could have come to you very easy in college.
Speaker 3: It doesn't come easy in the pros.
Speaker 2: And those who separate themselves know that they put in the time, the extra time, and they want to be great and they go in as if now I have to prove myself, not I'm coming in make way for me.
Speaker 4: Yes, I think I'm going to sound like a dad or something. But I think that we just give enough credit to the fact that it's hard. It's actually hard to do that, even if you are the number two overall pick or the number one overall pick.
Speaker 2: It's hard, yeah, And I don't know if they understand that because in college it's not a job as much as when you get to the pros. It's a job, and it's it's all year long, and it's all encompassing, and you have to embrace that, you know, Michael Vick did not. Football came easy to Michael Vick, and I don't think he put in the time. Well, he's talked about not putting in the time Kyler Murray. Football was so easy for him in high school college. Then you get to the pros. Now is when you have to out smart people. You can't out athletic people. It's really really hard, and you might for a little while, and then after a while they catch up to you or you slow down a little bit. It's now I got to put in the time. Now I got to put in. I got to outstud somebody outthink somebody. You know. Mahomes puts in all this time and he's still thirsty. You know, he's got everything. Now is when it's like, no, I want to be an all timer. Caleb Williams is talking about, Hey, I'm going after number twelve. He's going after Tom Brady. Okay, and you're gonna be reminded of this. But you've got to put in the time. Players have to see you put in the time. You show up, you're still there.
Speaker 11: You know.
Speaker 2: Scott Pioli was the GM with the Patriots for a while and he said there are times when you'd see the light on and you knew Tom was still there and everybody else was going home.
Speaker 12: Now.
Speaker 2: I don't know if Zach Wilson put in the time. And look, I think the Jets did a lot of damage to him psychologically, like hey, get out there. Hey, we're gonna bench you. Hey, get out there. Hey we're gonna bench you. Hey, get out there. Hey, I don't want to go out there anymore. Ian Rodgers wasn't there to tutor him. Remember, we were like, oh man, he's going to be able to learn under Aaron Rodgers well, unless he's in an ayahuasca tent, he not learning anything. So he was kind of hung out to drive there. And you know, I'd like to see if he actually has the talent that he wants to be great. But you just can't mail it in. He can't just show up and go here I am. It's you've got to work, You've got to put in the time the little things, Yes, Paulin.
Speaker 8: It's interesting. Zach Wilson never got any better. His rookie year was not that great. He started thirteen games. He was a fifty six percent passer, twenty three hundred yards, nine touchdowns, eleven picks, and his quarterback rating was seventy, which isn't horrendous. Josh Allen's rookie year, his completion percentage was fifty two. He had ten touchdowns to twelve picks, about the same. His quarterback rating was sixty seven. Just on stats. Zach Wilson's rookie year was better than Josh Allens. But Josh Allen got better. They surrounded him with wide receivers and other players. Josh Allen got way better. But similar rookie.
Speaker 2: Years, well, there are times when his rookie year I said, I don't think Josh Allen knows how to play like he just seemed like he was. He had so much talent playing at Wyoming. Then you get in and then all of a sudden, everybody was an All American. Everybody you know, was something. And that's when you have to put in the time. And Josh has become a great quarterback. But you know, it's same thing with Herbert and Burrow and Tua, like you got you got to put time in. You got to go into the lab, as they say, and if you don't, then you know, the league will catch you and then next thing you know, you're a backup quarterback someplace. And maybe that's what Zach Wilson is. Maybe that's what Sam Darnold is. Well, can you unbust yourself? You know Baker Mayfield did, because I think he was really good and then all of a sudden he lost his job and then he goes to Carolina for a little while and then he goes to Tampa.
Speaker 3: Well he unbusted himself.
Speaker 8: Yeah, PAULI, this is going way back, But I was trying to think of a quarterback that unbusted himself. Jim Plunkett was he Number one pick of the draft of the Patriots. Yeah, he would have been a bust before that term was invented. Then it went on to start two Super Bowls for the Raiders.
Speaker 9: And win both.
Speaker 8: Yeah, that might be the only version of a true.
Speaker 5: Bust that got out of it unbusting.
Speaker 9: Unbusting.
Speaker 8: Alex Smith was a disappointment with the Niners his first four years, but then he picked it up. He was a slow burn, but he was going to Bustville for a few years.
Speaker 2: But he lost his job to Colin Kaepernick and to Patrick Mahomes. Like it almost helped his career that he lost his job to Mahomes and Mahomes has become one of the great quarterbacks of all time.
Speaker 3: Like, okay, all right, I get that.
Speaker 2: But you know, Alex Smith, I think, by all accounts, had a good career, But he was also in the same draft as Aaron Rodgers. And Alex Smith goes number one, and you know, Rogers goes at the end of the first first round. Yes, and I mean even Kaepernick, the guy who lost his job through the first time, went to a Super Bowl.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, I mean, all right, let me take a break.
Speaker 2: Chris Mannix will join us we'll ask him the poll question here and an interesting stat on Joker because I was asking Paul Leye. I can't remember an MVP winner who didn't take that many shots or as many shots as you would think for a great score. I mean, Bill Russell wasn't a score, so I wouldn't factor him in. But how many MVPs in history have taken more shots in a season than the Joker has? And I'm going to guess probably ninety five percent of them, maybe even more. And I got an interesting stat on Joker with the shots that he takes. All right back after this Dan Patrick Show.
Speaker 1: Be sure to catch the live edition of The Dan Patrick Show weekdays said nine am Eastern six am Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 6: Hey what's up everybody? It's me three time pro bowler LeVar Arrington and I couldn't be more excited to announce a podcast called Up on Game?
Speaker 9: What is up on Game?
Speaker 6: You ass along with my fellow pro bowler TJ. Huschman Zada and Super Bowl champion Yup. That's right, Plexico Burris. You can only name a show with that type of talent on it.
Speaker 9: Up on Game?
Speaker 6: We're going to be sharing our real life experiences loaded with teachable moments. Listen to Up on Game with me LeVar Arrington, TJ. Huschman Zada, and Plexico Burrs on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you get your podcast from.
Speaker 2: I'd mentioned I had some Joker stats for you. Percentage of games where this player took the most shots for his team this season Luca eighty five five percent of the games, Shay Gilgis Alexander eighty six percent of the games, Joker fifty three percent. Also, I was wondering where, like, if you looked at MVP seasons, where would Joker rank among these players the fewest shots for an MVP in a season. And we got our stats guy, uh John Tuvey working on this. Joker was nineteenth in the NBA during the regular season in shot attempts. Four teams had two players who averaged more shot attempts than Joker did this year, the seventy six Ers, Celtic Suns, and the Mavericks.
Speaker 3: The stead of the day, that of the day.
Speaker 1: Here it comes the stat of the daya stat of the day, stat.
Speaker 4: Of the day.
Speaker 2: Here it comes the stat of the the stat of the Day brought to you by Panini America, the official trading cards of the Dan Patrick Show. Chris Mannix. He'll be in Boston tomorrow night, game two between the Heat and Celtics. Always great to have him on the Sports Illustrated NBA senior writer. Let me start with Joker. Can you remember an MVP in a season who averaged less shots?
Speaker 3: I don't know if Steve Nash.
Speaker 2: Would be somebody, but how many MVPs average fewer shots than Joker does during the regular season?
Speaker 12: Yeah, top of my head, Steve Nash would be the only one that comes to mind because he was a playmaker and a lot of his production. The reason was the MVP came off of CIS. But but Jogicic just does it and dominates in unique ways every game. I mean, watching that game last night, it was the offensive rebounding that was dominant. It was the playmaking that was dan One thing that struck me in that final sequence where Jamal Murray made that shot. If you rewind the tape a little bit and you look at the moments after the defensive rebound by Denver, the instant they got the ball in their hands, Jokic was already orchestrating that final play. He was waving guys around and gave them a position, she said, somebody, and I forgot who was over from the right side of the play to the left, essentially to clear room for what was a developing two man game between himself and Jamal Murray. So great shot by Jamal Murray in the face of Anthony Davis. But give Jokics credit in part for kind of clearing that room for him, giving him enough space to operate.
Speaker 7: You know.
Speaker 12: It's it's plays like that that make nikolea Jokic so special.
Speaker 2: I'm trying to understand how a Laker fan can spin this in a positive way. That you were up twenty and it feels like they're trying to win games in the first half, like let's go out and use all of our energy, and then they limped to the finish line. You've been close with Denver even last year when they got swept, they weren't getting blown out. So I'm trying to figure out, if I'm a Laker fan, what positives do I take away from losing back to back games.
Speaker 12: I mean, I think among the positives was how well D'Angelo Russell played in the first half. How well Anthony Davis played in the first half. Both those guys seem to run out of gas though in the second. I mean Davis, you know he's had He had a great regular season, played seventy six games, the most games he's played in his NBA career, averaged more minutes per game than he has at a time since his New Orleans days. But you start to wonder watching a series like this, if there's enough gas left in the tank for Anthony Davis to be a dominant two way player for thirty five thirty six minutes. I mean on the defensive end. In the fourth quarter, Nicol Jokic was was great. I mean, an Ad is as good as he is defensively, he just couldn't do much to stop him in the post. And with Russell, Dan I said coming into this series, the only way the Lakers can win is if de'angelo Russell is the kind of player we've seen in the regular season and not in the games he's played against Denver. I mean the Conference finals last year, Dan, the Nuggets play D'angela Russell right off the floor. I mean he was benched in the Conference finals first half of game two, he had eighteen points, made six of seven and three point range. He was one of four from three point range the rest of the way, just five points in that second half. I mean, you can draw a line between D'Angelo Russell, you know, being a effective offensive player to that fifteen point lead the Lakers built to you know that, you know, collapse so to speak in the second half. So both those guys have to find a way to play four full quarters to give the Lakers.
Speaker 2: A chance better chance of coming back. The Lakers are seventy six ers, I'm gonna.
Speaker 12: Give the seventies sixers a better chance of coming back. But that was just heartbreaking. I mean, the Knicks, Reggie Millard, the seventy six ers down the stretch, like the run they had in that final fifteen to twenty seconds, whatever it was, I haven't seen anything like it an MSG since Reggie Miller did what he did so many years ago. And I mean credit the Knicks that just they just never stopped playing, like you know. Jalen Brunson has had a terrible series statistically, he has shot under thirty percent in the first two games of this series, but he still has the confidence to make that shot. Dante DiVincenzo misses one shot on the wing, makes the second at the top of the key in Philadelphia, I mean, what are we doing down the stretch there? You call a time out when you need it. On the inbounds, you don't. If you're Kyle Lowry, don't just flip the ball in to Tyrese Maxi on that inbound play.
Speaker 5: Don't put him in the position that he was in.
Speaker 12: I know, a lot of the focus dan is on the refereeing and should they have called the foul down the stretch maybe, But the Sixers.
Speaker 5: Blew that game.
Speaker 12: They couldn't come up with an offensive rebound or defensive rebound when they needed it, and they made multiple poor plays in that final minute that allowed the Knicks to, you know, keep that door open to win that game.
Speaker 3: What do the Nuggets have to do to be labeled one of the great teams?
Speaker 12: I mean, multiple championships is kind of It kind of opens the door for you. It puts you in that rarefied air of teams that have won multiple championships, and then you kind of bump them up a tier from there, like, you know, does three championships put them in the mix with the early aughts, Lakers that won free straight with Shaq and Kobe, the Celtics and the Lakers of the nineteen age. You start talking about them as being in that conversation. So I think it starts with two championships and then you build from there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's kind of like the Rocket. It's when they won back to back titles that that that might be. Because you know, when we're saying, you know, do I think they're one of the great teams? I don't, But I think if you're gonna be labeled great, it's got to be more than one year.
Speaker 12: I think they might be, though, Dan, because it's not like this is the the final chapter of their their run. They've got most of that team under long term contract, and most of that team is in or in the case of someone like Michael Porter Junior, just entering the prime of their careers. I mean, Porter Junior's year was sensational. It's a guy that you know, many people wondered if you would ever be able to play the kind of season that he did, played what like eighty plus games this year. I mean that that's just an incredible accomplishment for MPJA. I mean, Jokic is incredibly durable. Mury's had his bumps along the way, but he's still young. I mean, you know, anything can happen this year because the playoffs in the Western Conference especially are going to be brutal. But I think this team's window is probably three or four more years to win championships.
Speaker 2: We're talking to Chris Mannix, the senior writer for the NBA with Sports Illustrated. But Joker, now with the third MVP coming up, like now, all of a sudden, we start to get into a little bit more interesting conversation with him. That a nice story. Oh I got another MVP. Well, let's see if you can win a time. Oh you got a title, Now you get another MVP. Favor to win another title. At what point does he start to get into that top twenty players of all time conversation?
Speaker 12: I mean, I think we're there, aren't we. I mean, he's a top twenty player of all time. I'd have to make it, you know, I haven't made a list lately, but yeah, I mean, a third MVP. There's only a handful of guys that have done that.
Speaker 5: So at some point the.
Speaker 12: Results speak for themselves and the completeness of his game at that position.
Speaker 2: Okay, If I said Durant or Joker, who's going to be ranked higher when their careers are over?
Speaker 12: When their careers are over, I would say Jokic will probably be ranked higher.
Speaker 3: Okay, Yis, that's a.
Speaker 12: Tougher one because Giannis is still in his prime, and Giannis this year he's gonna finish top five MVP.
Speaker 5: He's not gonna fish inside the top three.
Speaker 12: But he had a insane statistical season, and he is a.
Speaker 5: Two way player.
Speaker 12: He's as good defensively most nights as he is offensively. I'm gonna say Jokic, but it's.
Speaker 3: A lot closer Karl Malone.
Speaker 12: I mean Jokic probably because of the championship and whatever happens over the next three I think he's gonna get at least one more so. I think three MVPs and two championships nudges him above Malone. Der No, he just being mean.
Speaker 5: Probably Jokic.
Speaker 12: I mean Dirk revolutionized the game, made shooting three, made half the things that Jokic does now en vogue. I mean Jokic probably in a way learned some of the game from from Dirk Davitsky or or figured out how to play a certain way because of Dirk Davitsky. I just think I just think Jokic is the completeness of his game, Like he's a playmaker where Dirk wasn't, not to that level. He's a rebounder I think better than Dirk. I mean, you can you give the ball to Dirk in the high post in his prime and good night, that's an eighteen footer that's going in seventy five percent of the time. You give the ball to Jokic and you don't know what's gonna happen. He could shoot a fadaway jump shot himself in a high percentage.
Speaker 5: He can go to the basket.
Speaker 12: You saw him get to the free throw line a lot and down the stretch against Anthony Davis. Or he can make the right play and find an open teammate for three. Jokic's ability to dissect the defense I think probably separates it.
Speaker 5: From Dirk as well.
Speaker 12: Larry Bird I get so much hate mail from like a hate more hate message than usual because of this debate, probably Jokic as well.
Speaker 5: I I you know, and I.
Speaker 3: Wait, do you really mean that? I Are you crying right now?
Speaker 5: I'm not crying.
Speaker 12: I'm I'm I'm trying to think of what I'm missing here with I mean, look, you're talking about all time great players and scorers.
Speaker 3: Yes, what they do.
Speaker 12: Larry was more clutch in big Larry had the weight of the world on his team down the stretch in big moments, and he made shots that that we hadn't seen in that era. But again, the the the completeness of Jokic's game, I gotta put him, Yeah, I gotta put him up there. I mean, I'm your whittling guys off the potential top twenty list. I'm bumping him ahead of all these guys. So I think I think we're there. I think we're there with NICOLEA. Jokicez as a top twenty player.
Speaker 2: It feels like the Celtics are hard to root for nationally, hard to buy into because all we're doing. You know, there's certain teams in certain sports where you go like Cowboys, Hey, thirteen regular season wins, I don't care, what are you going to do in the playoffs. The Celtics are there, like a wonderful regular season.
Speaker 3: Now you got to win a title.
Speaker 12: Yeah, I know, I think that's fair. You know, how many years now, six seven years in a row or six seven years total. We've seen the Celtics at least the conference finals, NBA Finals, you know, a couple of years back, and have been to the mountaintop, but have not yet won a championship.
Speaker 5: And you mentioned.
Speaker 12: The the hard to root for part of it is when you go through a regular season that's effectively over by like Ash Wednesday, like for them, like you're you're not going to get behind a team like that. I think part of the skepticism, though, is that there is a belief national that when the games on the line, Jason Tatum is not as good as some of the other players in key moments like where would you rank Jason Tatum among the guys that you would trust with the ball in their hands down the stretch among playoff teams, Dan, we could probably sit here in name six to seven guys that you know many people would.
Speaker 5: Take in those moments. So I don't think a lot of that is fair.
Speaker 12: I think that Tatum has taken a step back this year in a way to allow Jalen Brown to keep growing, to allow Porzingis to be a twenty point per game score, to allow.
Speaker 5: Drew Holiday to get his shots.
Speaker 12: But I think there's a perception out there that in tight, competitive games, Jason Tatum is going to be not a liability, but not going to be the greatest option in those moments.
Speaker 5: I disagree with it.
Speaker 12: I think he's going to prove in these playoffs that he is an elite fourth quarter score, an elite crunch time player, can play out of the high post, the low post and beat you in a variety different ways. But that is one of the skepticisms that people have about Boston in this playoffs, that they've won so many games, huge margin of victory, blowing teams out across the field when it gets tight late in games.
Speaker 2: Can they rely on Jason Tate? Good to talk to you, buddy, Thanks for joining us as always.
Speaker 12: Can I ask the question Dan before I go. I've been watching, of course, and I understand you're kind of you make me a short list for your potential replacements.
Speaker 5: Is that's what's happening last night?
Speaker 2: No? No, I just had somebody who contacted me and I was a little bit surprised that the person said, do I put my name in the hat?
Speaker 3: And I said for what? And he said, to replace you?
Speaker 2: And I said, no, no hat yet but I mean, I don't even know if the dan Nets want to continue to do this.
Speaker 3: But are you throwing your name in the hat?
Speaker 5: I would I would like to formally.
Speaker 3: Formally my name. Can we get a hat? Well?
Speaker 2: Okay, how do you guys feel about what Mannis just said?
Speaker 8: We're going to need time to process this. This is out of nowhere.
Speaker 3: No one saw this, Marvin, what do you think NBA talk all day?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: I mean, okay, Todd.
Speaker 7: I love Chris.
Speaker 5: That's excellent news that is interested in that.
Speaker 2: So that's your choice. If I run by some other candidates for you, you're taking Mannix.
Speaker 5: Oh that's really putting me on the spot.
Speaker 13: Ross Tucker is a good guy.
Speaker 5: I don't know if he's interested.
Speaker 7: But I love Chris Mannicks and I will leave it at that.
Speaker 4: See what about you? I think Chris would be fantastic. I don't know that necessarily I want to be much like a Tucker at I don't know if I'm going to be a Manni set either, but I think that I think Chris would be fantastic.
Speaker 12: Pauline, can I Dan just just to let me let me make a briefcase here, right, so I have a good relationship obviously with the Dnnetts.
Speaker 5: As you saw there PAULI and I Vermon Vermont.
Speaker 12: Well, I was gonna say, Paul, you and I Vermont neighbors, like we're yes, you know, we're kindred spirits up there. Uh proximity, Dan, I could seamlessly move to Connecticut continue doing that show right there in that studio.
Speaker 5: No issue with that.
Speaker 12: And look, I know you you've said that you want to differentiate the next host from you a little bit.
Speaker 5: Why you said you weren't considering the dn Nettes.
Speaker 12: Everybody loves you. Everybody hates me, So I mean that's I think a nice, nice differentiator there.
Speaker 2: There have to be some people who like yeah, I mean haven't found them, but but we there has to be somebody who likes Chris Mannings.
Speaker 5: Members of Ricky Rubio's family maybe.
Speaker 3: Wait, what was that? Uh? What was that Chris rock show? Everybody hates Chris? Uh? Hello, we can bring that back.
Speaker 2: Everybody hates Chris. Come on in, all right, your name is officially in the hat.
Speaker 3: Thank you, Dan.
Speaker 2: All right, that's Chris Mannix Sports Illustrated NBA. You're rider take a break back after this. Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the nation. Catch all of our shows at Foxsports Radio dot com and within the iHeartRadio app. Search FSR to listen live. Fewest shots per game by an NBA MVP, so this list includes the Joker. This year, Joker averaged seventeen point seven shots per game. Here are the players in NBA history. Now, Joker's on the list twice.
Speaker 3: This year.
Speaker 2: Of seventeen point nine twenty twenty one, it was seventeen point seven. The other players the fewest shots for an MVP, As we said, it's Steve Nash a little over eleven shots per game in four, then he repeated in five he bumped that up to thirteen point four shots per game. Carl Malone averaged only sixteen shots per game the year he won the NBA. Steph Curry averaged just under seventeen shots a game in twenty fourteen, Tim Duncan twenty and two seventeen point two shots per game, Dirk Naviski MVP just over seventeen shots per game, Jannis just over seventeen shots per game. Then it's Joker. Lebron in twenty twelve just under eighteen shots per game. Okay, I thought I thought Joker would be a little bit higher on this lit. I'm shocked that Karl Malone only averaged sixteen shots per game and won the MVP. Timmy, I'm not surprised Dirk a little bit with seventeen shots, Janis seventeen and then Lebron just under eighteen. But that was back in twenty twelve.
Speaker 8: Yes, Pauli a R stick I just got back to me said this algorithm only went back thirty years, So you have to throw in Magic Johnson. Magic Johnson had three MVPs in four seasons, and in those seasons he averaged sixteen shot attempts, fifteen shot attempts, fourteen shot attempts. Okay, he led the league and assists two of those three seasons.
Speaker 7: Okay.
Speaker 9: Patrick would be right in there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Yeah, you.
Speaker 2: Don't get too many MVPs who weren't averaging, you know, at least seventeen eighteen, nineteen shots per game, but Nash won it eleven shots per game. Mike in South Bend, Mike, what's on your mind today?
Speaker 13: Yeah, man, I would have to respectfully disagree. You were talking about great teams and needing a marquee name or an marquee person. And I think the whole definition of team is that there's not one individual that's above the others. And I think that Yukon has the making of being a great team, having embarrassed everybody in the NCAA Tournament the last couple of years.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I said that Yukon should be recognized as a great team. I don't know if they are. I'm looking at great teams of all time. If I look at these two years, you can put those up against pretty much anybody who's won titles in the last thirty years. I mean, they just blew through everybody. Now, you can say college basketball is watered down.
Speaker 3: I get it.
Speaker 2: But let's say you took the last twenty years, who's been more dominating than Connecticut these last two years. When they get into the tournament, you could put them up against anybody.
Speaker 8: Yeah, Pauling, and you can make the case that it's tougher if Connectic could do it, because they're not going to have Hill, Hurley and Latner for a session a three or four year stretch. Yeah, I think their two best players are gone from this year. They lost their three best players from last year's team. There's no consistency to their lineup, maybe light consistency.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I think, you know, sometimes it's right in front of us, but we don't acknowledge it. And I think Connecticut has been a great team, but we don't. There's no tune in factor of oh man, you got to see this guy because it felt like every game, every other game, it was somebody else who was going to be the star. But the only person you really know is the coach, whereas with you know, Duke or Kentucky. You know some of these other programs where you knew the coach, but you also knew some of these star players.
Speaker 3: John in La let me see if I can squeeze in here.
Speaker 11: John, Hey, guys, gone the poor guy. How's it going?
Speaker 5: Hey?
Speaker 3: John?
Speaker 11: You know, yeah, you know, I've always been critical about the Lakers, especially in the way they play. You know, his shots selections, Lebron's and his shot attempts. I know you're just talking about the shot attempts, but at the same time, his shots selections, I mean, he's not he's not Steph Curry. You know, he's shooting these three and at the same time he's you know, minimizing his shot selections. In the first half, you know, six in the game one, you know, seven, eight, you know yesterday, and you know, and then he expects to heat up, you know, like he's twenty five, you know, and he's you know, thirty some odd year years.
Speaker 2: Old, and and you know, I think, and we're short on time, John, thank you. I think Lebron is settling for threes. Takes a whole lot more energy to be driving to the hoop like he once did. Chris Haynes, who was courtside for the next game last night, Will John is coming up final hour on this Tuesday