Speaker 1: I'm close with Landy Wilson and I'm so I love watching her star rise and like he called me one night and it was her I was late at night and I was on the bus. He was on the bus, and she was like, She's like, hey, I just want to call you because my song went number one, my very first number one. And she was like, I just wanted to hear your voice because I wanted to talk to somebody who knew exactly what that felt like.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, what does it feel like? That's so amazing?
Speaker 1: Well, it feels like it feels like, oh my god, like relieving because you need it so bad, and then it feels like, oh shit, now here we.
Speaker 3: Go calm down with Erin and Carissa is a production of iHeartRadio.
Speaker 1: You Look Beautiful. I literally was making her. I was like going through all y'all past episodes. I'm like, how cute do I have to get.
Speaker 2: To You're lucky that we put on any makeup? Like, what's the level of pride here? No, or Brad, that's a question as well.
Speaker 3: You're fine, which is why her, Aaron and I have both talked to us about how we need a lift because we don't wear bras. Welcome everybody to the Calm Down Podcast, and with that we welcome in a woman that really needs no introduction, but a three time Grammy Award winner. You're the winningest artist in the Academy of Country Music Awards thirty not You've won thirty nine ACMs.
Speaker 2: That's insane.
Speaker 1: That's really when you say it like that, it sounds crazy, and it also makes me a little tired to think about.
Speaker 3: Well, you have endless energy and we are so glad that you're on this podcast. Aaron and I are big fans of yours. I know you hear that a lot, but you're also like the ultimate girls girl. I know that Aaron has gotten a chance to interview you before, but we're thrilled to have you.
Speaker 2: So thank you for coming on. Thanks for having me. I'm glad to be here today.
Speaker 3: I interviewed you way way, way way back in the day. I think it was in a restaurant and maybe it was Nashville, and it was for an award show, and I was so excited and nervous and all I wanted to do is drink with you. And I don't think that that's what we got to do. But one day. I know it's going to happen.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we can hang low key next time. I would love it.
Speaker 3: Hey, since we're really gonna be great friends in the future. Chris and I manifest that all the time. Favorite drink of choice, Like, maybe at four thirty five o'clock before dinner, you're chilling on your porch, what's your favorite drink of choice?
Speaker 2: I usually like, if I'm out, I get a martini.
Speaker 1: But I don't want to go to all that effort mussel, so I'm just like tatoes and sparkling water and lte for the porch.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, you guys are the same. Aaron does it with tequila. I don't have the that feels like I need more. And then I ended up drinking like things like Margarita's and have the worst hangover in the morning because it's so much sugar, Like I'm a twenty one year old that just started drinking. But anyways, mart you have so many things going on. So you're in the Northeast right now. You just mentioned you're up and so how often like between Austin between Nashville the Northeast, Like what do you call home?
Speaker 2: Like what's home? I mean, you have homes in all those places. But where do you spend the most time? That fools our home base.
Speaker 1: That's where, like I mean, I've had a place in Nationville, so it's like twenty.
Speaker 2: I mean I just said that.
Speaker 1: It's where I work a lot. It's where my all my friends, A lot of my friends are. You know a lot of my friends are our work friends. That's how this business works. Yeah, but I do have I spend a lot of time in Texas because my family's still there. My little brother went to ut and never came back to our little town in East Texas, so he lives in Austin, and my husband's in New Yorker, so I spent a lot of time up.
Speaker 2: Here as well.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, nice win for them over Michigan over the weekend. And I know you're a huge Chiefs fan, so you have to be very excited about the start for your guys' season with a win over Baltimore.
Speaker 1: I really am, and I am in my sports era finally, like I'm fully immersed. I'm like in it now and I'm learning a bunch. But I do love the Chiefs because I'm cheering for hometown boy. Homes is from like two towns over for mine in East Texas, Like, there's not that many of us that I get out, So I'm like, we did it.
Speaker 2: We're doing big things.
Speaker 3: That's a door because yeah, goey, no, I was gonna say Sports Era. I'm sure that's where you went. Is that because of Brendan? Like how did that start?
Speaker 2: How to? I mean Texas?
Speaker 3: You automatically think everybody that lives or is from Texas has the Cowboys, has whatever, just sort of like sports running through their blood.
Speaker 2: But you just started, huh.
Speaker 1: Well, I always have. I mean, it's obviously I have to. I have to root for the Cowboys. That's like you have to do that. But actually, I'm a huge fan of the cheerleaders to be honest, Like I'm obsessed with all their all the Cowboys Cheerleaders.
Speaker 2: Shows and like totally and everything she's done.
Speaker 1: How hard they work, like that is their new series, Like I binged it so hard and I was like, what if y'all did a dance to one of my songs?
Speaker 2: That would be amazing.
Speaker 1: So I'm putting that out there because I just think they worked so hard and they're like the.
Speaker 2: Vibe of the team.
Speaker 3: To me, so oh my God, Well, Miranda, you this is a very serendipitu because you're talking to basically like miss Dallas Cowboys reporter, because she has all of their games with the A crew just came working off working the Cowboys Browns game.
Speaker 2: Aaron, you need to do this, You need to make this happen. Okay.
Speaker 3: So yesterday I was on the sidelines waiting for the players to come out, and Charlotte Jones was on the sidelines and we always see them, but I hadn't seen her since the show came out. So I ran over to her and I was like, I don't know if you're working on A season two, but I need you to get work, get it done, and get paid a lot of money, because this was one of the best things I've ever watched, binge the whole thing. Great news for you, Miranda. I know your people are probably very powerful better than me, but I'm in Dallas this coming weekend. I'll tell Charlotte I gotta make it happen, and I'll tell the coaches.
Speaker 1: I'll text Kelly, because Kelly's from lindew My hometown was just crazy, like a tiny, little e Texas town. So like we're gonna manifesting.
Speaker 2: That is so great. I love that, Aaron.
Speaker 3: We were on vacation in Tuloom together with a big group of people and one of the girls, Ashley, used to be a Dallas Cowboys cheerleader. So what Aaron doesn't brag about herself is that she was also a dancer Miranda, at the University of Florida. But so they busted out a routine, the whole Thunderstruck routine in the middle of like of the house that we were saying. I was like, yeah, it was pretty great. So have you tried to do the leg kick? I can never I was not an answer.
Speaker 1: I was a cheerleader to like my sophomore year and I wasn't good at at all. I just wore my hair really high on my head and a ponytail like back in the sponge roller days where you can make it really really curly, so it looks like I was jumping higher than I was.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, yea, but yeah, I'm.
Speaker 1: Actually Brendan loves football like he's he He used to play for the NYPD. He played for them for the whole time he was a cop, and he was actually playing flag football yesterday and then went and watched football all day.
Speaker 2: Yes that's our guy.
Speaker 1: It's a but yeah, and we are obviously Longhorns fans. So I'm just like immersing in it. I went to my first hockey game in Vegas here in my residence, see to the Golden Knights game, and it was like a Vegas shoe.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, this is cool.
Speaker 1: So so I'm definitely getting on the Predators train this year. So like I'm in, I'm getting all the jerseys. I'm doing the thing right now.
Speaker 3: Get a jersey for Steven stamcost. He's one of my favorite NHL players. You guys just signed him. He came from Tampa Bay. I hope he scores fifty goals this year. He's adorable, his wife's fantastic, their kids are great. Get a Steven stamp. I'll get you a Steven stampostka are you? Thank you? You mentioned Brendan before we jumped on the call. We were just chatting and then the zoom or whatever, and you were telling us how you met him, and I can't wait to hear this whole story. We obviously like we love love and the serendipity of how you guys met, So tell everyone and us the details.
Speaker 2: Of it all.
Speaker 1: I was doing a song with the Pistolanis on GMA. What was it was called I got my name changed back?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, sure did, and there I've been there.
Speaker 1: Yeah. We wrote a whole song because it's like a whole lot of work to do that. So after my first marriage, I went through like a whole thing to get my name changed back on my license and so we wrote a song about it, which is funny because it's a girl band, like we're like our bread and butter is like woman's scoring visa and so. And then Brendan was working at gm A as a cop and he kind of was part of his like morning rotation was to go by g m A and make sure everybody was good. And my bandmate Angelina was like, did you see that cop? And I was like, no, it's eight in the morning. I just want to see the back of my.
Speaker 2: Lads right now.
Speaker 1: We've been up for like four hours.
Speaker 2: Really.
Speaker 1: So we we invited him to our show through my security guy and he came.
Speaker 2: We only gave him one ticket. We're like, yes, exactly.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: We ended up hanging out after the show and just hit it like I'm from a family of first reponders. I have tons of cops environment in my family and his whole family or cops environment, and so it just like felt really natural, and you know it was like it was it was serendipitous.
Speaker 2: It really was.
Speaker 1: It was just kind of this like came out of nowhere love story. And we're almost six years in now so we're killing it.
Speaker 3: This is real life Whitney Houston, Kevin Costner Bodyguard.
Speaker 2: I mean it really is. Do you guys ever reenact the movie?
Speaker 3: I mean not the personal scenes, well you can tell us, but no, like, do you ever like make jokes that this is the Bodyguard?
Speaker 2: We have made those jokes.
Speaker 3: Hell yeah, I got the stuff that you want, the stuff that you need. Speaking of lyrics, I couldnt stop listening to damn It, Randy. I love the whole story about speaking of Brendan that he was the co Are we giving him co writing credit?
Speaker 1: He's got along co writer, like he's in it, love it. It's funny, like he's really proud of it. I mean I had him written a little bit during like COVID, just out of boredom, like everybody was doing everything we were written, and he was really good. He had like some great lines and then you know he's not like a writer, but he's now a co writer.
Speaker 2: He gotta cut, so I guess he is.
Speaker 3: It's such a good song and this whole album Postcards from Texas. Marianda, You've done so many different things. What does this album mean to you? And how would you describe the overall vibe of it.
Speaker 2: It just feels will circle to me. It feels like home.
Speaker 1: I mean, it's technically my tenth studio album, and the last time I made a record at home was when I was eighteen, my little independent project. Yeah, and I just felt like I got out of a twenty year deal with Sony and I've signed to Public Records and Big Loud Nashville is our partner. And just having these two teams that lead with art that are so excited about new music, and for me, especially being in it so long, to have that kind of like enthusiasm an inspiration, I just felt like, I'm going to go back home and make this record and like start where the root of it all started, like really dig into what got me to chase this in the first place. And so this record has like little pieces of every influence I've ever had in all the kinds of music I've ever loved it.
Speaker 2: It's like, well, I guess it's that front of.
Speaker 1: Like the last two decades of like what I've built, But I wanted to go full circle and take it back home to the root.
Speaker 3: You know. Yeah, Randa, We're around guys that we cover, you know, in the NFL, and we know what it's like for them to prepare for a season, what it's like for them to prepare for a game. It's why we are massive sports fans and love the guys and the coaches and the teams we get to cover. Sorry if this is ignorant in this world but in your world, but I'm so excited to hear about it. What in the hell was into writing songs? For writing putting an album?
Speaker 2: Each other?
Speaker 3: I mean, do you go to different parts of your house? Do you take trips? Is there a full.
Speaker 2: Bottle of wine? I mean, how do you It's.
Speaker 3: Like you're preparing for your NFL season? How do you put an album together?
Speaker 2: You know, it's different every time. This time, I really.
Speaker 1: I just spent a lot of times thinking like what is it that I need to do now?
Speaker 2: What do I get to do now? And I didn't.
Speaker 1: You know, I did write a lot for this record, but I've went and pulled some old songs that I hadn't like listened to in a decade, you know, some of my own. I called all my friends that are amazing songwriters, and I'm like, sing me songs. I'm looking for like all kinds of things and inspiration, and so, I mean, it's a it's a lot of preparation. It's because you know, a record sets up at least the next two to three years of your life, with your tour and on your promo and all the imaging. It sort of sets up like, Okay, the next three years look like this, and this is the imaging and this is the branding and this is the sound. And so it's not nonchalant to me. It's like I really want to plan that out. And you know, in this case, in Postcarson, Texas, it was like it felt a little easier than some of the other ones, honestly, because it was like, let's just go to Austin and get some amazing players, and I have a house right by the studio and I could stumble home, which was really convenient, and just like this time, I felt like it was. It was us smooth and easy because I didn't have to set anything up for like what is what is what am I gonna what's my imaging going to be?
Speaker 2: It was like, I'm just gonna be mean, I'm just gonna myself. Like not that I have it.
Speaker 1: I've always been authentic to myself and just who I am. But I feel like almost every record I've made was like a kind of a snapstraduct the last two or three years, like this is where I am, is just what's happened in my life, and this one just feels like here's a lot of information of exactly who I am. Like Brendan, he said, this is the most you record I've ever heard you make. This record feels like you on tape, and I was like that that is exactly what I wanted it to be.
Speaker 3: But I don't think that's a coincidence, because you know where you are in your life right You mentioned like you've always been you and you've always been authentic, which is one of the many reasons that people love you. It's why we love you is because like it or not, Aaron and I very much are like who we are, and that's sometimes met with criticism, but we don't care. I think we're both out of like bucket like place in our lives and that we're very confident in our own life. Forty, better, worse and different. You just turned forty, right, I did, and it's awesome. It's awesome, exactly exactly.
Speaker 1: It's just it's a little it's freeing, and it feels like, yes, just more permission to like only care about the opinions of people that really matter to you, and the rest of them just their noise. And I don't I give even less of a shit now about the noise, because I want the people in my circle that are really valuable to my laugh and that I value everything they say. I listen to them, and I draddled the noise, and I feel like turning forty really helped me like do that even more. And everyone that didn't that forty says it's the best decade, and so I'm like, let's go.
Speaker 2: It's gonna be awesome.
Speaker 3: Is there a song that you love on this new album, Postcards from Texas, which by the way, is coming out September thirteenth. Is that correct? Yeah, that's right. Is there a song about not giving a shit? Because that's really been Chris and I's anthem. Although I do love Armadillo because that was my secret password when I was a child and we lived in Texas. If a stranger ever picked us up, our parents are like, the secret code word is Armadillo, that ever happened. Yeah, but I will literally not give a shit song like don't give a shit now.
Speaker 1: I think Damite Randy is the closest, and there's also one called Bits on the Sauce, but.
Speaker 2: She doesn't it's so good. But yeah, you know, I just feel like, you know, and I have to do.
Speaker 1: I did Wranglers on this record too, and it felt really important to me, Like, you know, people say, oh you're back, I'm like the fiery girl never left, you know. I mean, I feel like there's songs on this record almost every song could have been on Kerosene, which is my very first album, or Crazy Ex Girlfriend or Revolution or there's like snippets of every phase of my musical career on this record, you know. So it feels I mean, my really good friends are texting me going this record feels like I could have heard Damn Randy on Revolution, and I could have heard Wranglers on kerosene, and it's like that makes me feel even better, Like I made the right choices and I and I stuck with my gut and made the record I was supposed to make for this time of my life.
Speaker 3: We're in so much of who you are is again but we love is that that not give a shit attitude?
Speaker 2: But in a way, I mean, there's all you know.
Speaker 3: There's the other side of that is like you do care and there are so many headlines that get written and you have lived your life in a spotlight, So how do you balance that? And where does your confidence come from to be able to just put away the noise and to know what's true to yourself and just sort of where does that all come from having lived in the spotlight for so long?
Speaker 1: You know, I didn't get into this for the spotlight at all. I love country music like I got into it because I am lucky enough to get a gift of songwriting and.
Speaker 2: I was like, oh, I have this, I have to do something good with it. And I just.
Speaker 1: Didn't never want to, you know, I never remember saying like I want to be famous or any of that. I wanted to make music that mattered and really as a woman use my songs and my voice to you know, lift up other women to save dogs, which I'm sure we'll talk about in.
Speaker 2: A minute, you know.
Speaker 1: I just I feel like I didn't get into it for that. So I've tried to not ever let that creep in because it's like it's also just noise, and it's you know, it's not like it doesn't bother me sometimes. I mean, of course it does when people say things that aren't true, or take things out of context, or judge you on something that's completely false. You know.
Speaker 2: But I know who I am.
Speaker 1: And I don't I don't surround myself with yes people. I have real friends in my life, real people, and my management team. I've been with my manager for twenty one years and it's an all girl team over there, and they'll tell me the truth, you know, and so I don't. You know, I feel like it keeps me like in a good, grounded place, and I really worked on that my whole life, to stay grounded, even though this business is crazy.
Speaker 2: Sometimes it's such a good I love we Aaron.
Speaker 3: I've obviously work in a male dominated industry, okay, find all of that kind of stuff, and I've always been like, oh, I'm a guy's girl whatever. As of the the last few years, I have leaned so hard on my girlfriends. Like I remember, I was in a terrible marriage and Aaron called me and she goes, I will not be friends with you anymore. If you stay in this, you're ruining your life. You're ruining your And she was the only person that would have the balls to say that to me. And she was exactly like, it was exactly what I needed and the catalyst to give me out. And I leaned so hard on my female relationships now. So that's so cool that you have that, because they'll save your life. They're like the life jacket on your boat that will just save you from drowning in your own shit sometimes.
Speaker 1: So they are and it's important to tell the truth, and it's important to lift ech other up like good, bad and ugly, you know.
Speaker 2: And I think a lot of times.
Speaker 1: People think women are like peitted against each other, and I just don't think that's true, not in my world.
Speaker 2: I mean, I'm like, go run live your dream, be amazing.
Speaker 1: I'm here for the highs, I'm here for the lows, and my friends are there for me for both of those things too, and I just think, you know, it's a lot more energy to like, you know, somebody said this the other day. I was on vacation with my manager, went to Italy. It was amazing. We went to Como and Florence and Tuscany. It was awesome for her birthday and there's a big group of people, and there was this really wise friend of hers, Elizabeth, and she said, you know, there's a difference in winning and wanting to beat everybody. And I was like, wow, that really struck me, because we can all win, but when you start trying to beat each other and like step on toes to get where you think you need to go, is where all the ugly comes in.
Speaker 2: And if you.
Speaker 1: Just stay in your lane and lift each other up and cheer for them even if they are ahead of you, it's like everybody, we're all going to win in our way.
Speaker 2: At some point, you know.
Speaker 1: And I just think that that resonated with me, and I'm going to use that a lot in my life living for you know, it's beautiful.
Speaker 3: I do want to talk about my nation, but I would be vested if I didn't ask you this, and maybe for you to give a little bit more of your PEP talk motivation love to my best friend. You've been very public about what's gone on in your life in terms of marriage, finding love again, getting married again, and saying, you know, I'm.
Speaker 2: So glad I did it.
Speaker 3: This is the happiest I've seen my best friend in a relationship. And it's one of those. And I don't know about your Like my husband wants to hang out with her boyfriend. I call her boyfriend her husband because I want them to get married.
Speaker 2: What do you recommend about doing it again? Miranda? You know, I'm so happy.
Speaker 1: I learned so much from all the experiences that were even you know, I always say, you don't learn when everything's going great.
Speaker 2: You don't learn when.
Speaker 1: Everything's this smooth fale, and you get the lessons thereing the hard stuff. And that's where I really grew as a woman and kind of grew in my heart and like understood myself more, and so I think I can. I spent so much time like relearning myself during that really hard time to like when I met Brendan, I felt like I was much more prepared and like much my heart was like much more open and ready to love.
Speaker 2: And I'm also a risk taker. I'm like, I take risk.
Speaker 1: In my career, I take risk with my charitys and my brands, so why not take I mean, no risk, no reward. It's like I know that love loving big means her big, but pain does subside, and so if that's the only risk is the pain I lived through that, So I'm like, let's go. Let's because I want the reward of what this great love can be and it's worth it to me to like just run and jump off that cliff.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: And a lot of my friends are like, they say to me, like you're crazy, but we wish we were like that, you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: So I think it's like what do you have to lose?
Speaker 3: You know, it is really inspiring to hear that, because I do believe in love. And I will tell you who the number one indicators of a good man is dogs. When I first introduced my dogs to my boyfriend, they didn't bark, they didn't growl. And these dogs are like I've got six, Miranda, but these two in particular would be the first ones to be like warning, warning, like aboard mission. So when you know that like you have a good man, is when the dogs are all in. You do incredible things. You love dogs the way that Aaron and I do, and we I just mutt Nation. Please tell everybody more about it and how you got started and where your love of animals and particular dogs came from.
Speaker 1: Well, I had nine dogs when I met Brandon, nine rescues.
Speaker 2: I know, I know, And I was like, now, I'm like, why didn't you think I was like a crazy dog lay And yes I am a crazy dog lady.
Speaker 1: So he saw that and married me anyway, but he like, but speaking of dogs, like, I started my Nation with my mom in two thousand and nine, and my mom and dad were private investigators my whole life, so we sort of like wanted to use her like her experience and like vetting people to Like I was asking my fans to go, hey, I started a charity called My Nation Foundation. We're asking you for money, and I wanted to be able to tell them where their dollars were going, you know what I mean, where, like what exactly we're spending this money on. And so my mom and I just started this little, you know, kind of mom and pop operation back then to raise awareness for span neuters, to push adoptions adopted shop to we we started it just for that those small little reasons because I used to volunteer at the shelter in these Texas. But it just has grown so much and we've done such amazing programs and we've raised almost.
Speaker 2: Ten million dollars since did we start?
Speaker 4: Wow?
Speaker 3: Ten million dollars Marida. That's incredible, incredible, And.
Speaker 1: We have saved hundreds and hundreds of dogs and we don't have a shelter some people. I mean, we got a text today it was like I found a dog. Like so I worked with a ton of shelters. What we say is that nation lifts up the shelters, like we help with renovations, we help with transport vans. We give grants every year to all fifty states, to shelter in all fifty states to you know, I just met a lady the other day that we had given a grant of five thousand dollars to last year, and she bought a transport band because she saves mama dogs that had puppies, because she like fosters the puppies. I mean, just these little organizations all around the US that people aren't really looking out for. That's where my Nation comes in because we see them, because we see them and they're small. And we also do huge things like when Harvey happened, we were booths on the ground. We had every vehicle we could find, and we were down there moving dogs out and helping.
Speaker 2: Place local dogs.
Speaker 1: And it was one of the hardest but most rewarding things that I've ever been a part of. But you know, I'm just I'm really thankful that people are sewing into this charity. That's it's my number one passion. I mean, music and mus are my two things that I'll live for. And so the fact that I can mix the two, that my music has got me a platform that can speak for the voiceless, makes me so happy.
Speaker 2: Oh my god.
Speaker 3: Well I really want to get involved, and I will talk to your people about that because I'm very passionate. I don't have children, and like these are my children, and my whole feed and Instagram is like dog rescue and savings and like literally then just crying and be like, how can I help this random dog in Alabama? So I totally feel that, and Aaron does too. She's got her Golden retriever Howie, and we're so passionate about that. So it's amazing. I can't believe you raised ten million dollars. That's really really, it's incredible.
Speaker 1: And you know, I will say that when sometimes people like I get overwhelmed, even like I'm like, I'm not doing enough.
Speaker 2: I can't do enough. I can't save them all.
Speaker 1: But I do think that if people can't, you know, if they're not in a position to go adopt a dog, or they're not in a position to you know, volunteer for ten hours a week. It's like just one hour of your time a week, like can change the entire trajectory of a dog's path, like interacting with humans, getting them out of the their create or getting them out of their enclosure for an hour and human interaction. So like I encourage people, we're not asking just for money, maybe just an hour of your time a month, even it's it's start small, because every little bit counts. And I have to remind myself of that all the time because I get overwhelmed. I follow all these filters and I'm like, how can we help? But that's what my nation is here for. It's like one little, one little step at a time, and we can do huge, amazing things.
Speaker 3: Thanks beautiful can find out more about Mutt Nation at muttnation dot com because that's where I went to check it all out.
Speaker 2: What's your biggest hope?
Speaker 3: What what do you want to What do you want to get bigger and better about all this? What's your dream?
Speaker 1: I want to really raise awareness, Just keep raising awareness for people. Filters are not scary places. They seem scary, but they are amazing dogs that are already there that need homes. So we need to cut down on the breeding span. Neuter is so important, y'all. It's like there's just there's this, you know, rush of this certain kind of breed everybody wants, and then everybody breeds it, and then they bring them to the shelters, and it's just it keeps perpetuating the problem, so, you know, and raising more money. I mean, I'm doing a show in Nashville on October fifth Edison called Music for Months, and it's all the money goes straight to the Nation so we can fill our pot again and start pushing out money to all of the amazing people we work with.
Speaker 2: And this awareness is our biggest thing.
Speaker 1: Like I really want to encourage people to just give it a shot.
Speaker 2: Just go buy the shelter. If you're in the market and all to adopt.
Speaker 1: Just stop by and see, like who grabs your heart, because they will.
Speaker 3: It's so it's funny to say that because I'm like, I want to adopt them all. And so I recently have purchased a ranch, a much smaller ranch than yours.
Speaker 2: I know you have. I think you have four hundred acres. Is that right outside of Nashville? Incredible?
Speaker 3: And I was like, I just want to rescue them all and bring them all to the ranch they can just run around and be free. But it's really beautiful what you've done, and I definitely want to and we'll get involved to help you.
Speaker 2: So let's just go back to your other passion of music.
Speaker 3: You have done so much and obviously in the world that Aaron and I are in with athletes, we're constantly asking them, you know, what do you want to your bucket list of like check off the things?
Speaker 2: Do you want to win the MVP?
Speaker 3: Obviously their goal is always to win a Lombardi Trophy. Do you have goals that you set for yourself? I mean the countless awards that you've already achieved in your career, and is this your tenth record.
Speaker 2: Is that right? Yeahrect your double digits, sister.
Speaker 3: I mean, is there is there a checklist of what you want to achieve or do you just continue to live out your dream every day and be grateful for where it goes.
Speaker 2: I want I have a lot I want to do. I don't have it like all.
Speaker 1: I actually talked to my manager about that this morning on the phone that I want to like lay it out on paper. And the great part about it all is that I'm only just turned forty and I achieved so many of those from my like goal list early, which was really.
Speaker 2: Over you like I thought, you know, but I really feel like music has led to so many things my nation.
Speaker 1: I mean, I want to keep growing and getting bigger and better with that my brand idle Wind at boot Barn, I peoper involved in that like you have the Fringe. I'm super involved. That nothing I have my name on. I see everything that has my name on it, like cats Rosa are bar on Broadway. The first I just want to I like, three chords have have led me to all of this, and that's crazy. Think about you know, my dad taught me, We taught me four in case I needed an extra yeah, taught me towards at seventeen on the guitar, and then all all these other amazing things have come to fruition and so, but all that to.
Speaker 2: Say, it starts with the music.
Speaker 1: So I just want to keep creating because I just started a label called Big Cloud Texts. I'm a founder of that label to sew into younger artists, especially from our amazing states. So much music comes out, and there's so many kinds of music. So I just want to keep letting all the arms that have like reached out from the music grow. But I have to keep that creative part so sacred because that's where it starts and end.
Speaker 3: I was reading a great article where you talked about, you know, much like Chris, I don't have kids. Chris has got, you know, all her animals. I know you do as well, but like to mentor young artists. And I'm not young and I'm not an artist, but I feel like you're mentoring me right now with all the things are saying, what kind of advice do you give them? What's your first piece of advice when they want to kind of try this industry out, or they have these dreams or want to you know, write down these words on paper, what do you suggest to them?
Speaker 1: You know, my mom's advice to me when I started at seventeen was know who you are and stick with it, and that has gotten me through this crazy roller coaster of business, entertainment business. So I that's my first piece of advice. It's like, I want to know who you are. I want to know how hungry you are too, Like you have to. I mean, this is not for the faint of heart, especially for female artists, Like you got to really want it and know what it takes to get there. And so you know, I asked them to ask themselves that because my mom made me ask myself that and me not having a plan. B.
Speaker 2: I wasn't going to go to college. I didn't. I wasn't very good at school.
Speaker 1: Like I just knew that I wanted to chase this, and so my parents would like, think long and hard, because there's no plan.
Speaker 2: To me, this is your college money, like this it is, oh my god.
Speaker 1: So I mean, I feel like, you know, you can tell early on if someone's gonna really want it, and I think the hunger for it and the passion war is so important.
Speaker 2: It's hard.
Speaker 3: Aaron and I talk about that all the time. When you know, women will ask us Aaron and I both whatever. We twenty years into this wonderful industry. This was both our dreams to be sports broadcasters, and we feel so grateful every.
Speaker 2: Day to do it.
Speaker 3: But young girls will be like, I want to be on TV and you're like, Okay, well, this ain't got to work because you have to be able to think about those you know long that weeks and months and whatever, and you're away from your friends and you're away from your family, and you're staying in the middle of nowhere, and like it sounds like a parallel path in a way of like you're playing those small bars that like no one's in, and like you're having to do that. So when you say that your parents were like, oh, that's your college money.
Speaker 2: What were you using that money for my gas to get to a club a guitar?
Speaker 1: Like, I mean, honestly, it was like and my I mean my parents were cops and p I's like, we didn't have much, and so I knew like if I use this, that's it, or I'm just gonna have to go work at the dog shelter, which will also I would have loved.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you can do both exactly. Now I get to do both.
Speaker 1: But this was it's just a it's a crazy path, but it's beautiful to be able to recognize early, like this is my dream. I'm going for it and like Hiller High Water and it takes grits. And I love seeing that in people like you, guys, because I know how hard it is to get to where you want to go and not everyone is cut out for it, you know, but when you get there, then you have so many stories to tell, and like you can help younger women go, hey, this is what it takes. And I'm here for the eyes goodbye and ugly, Like I'm close with Landy Wilson and I'm so I love watching her star rise and like he called me one night and it was her. I was late at night and I was on the bus. He was on the bus and she's like, she's like, hey, I just want to call you because my song went number one, my very first number one, And she was like, I just wanted to hear your voice because I wanted to talk to somebody who knew exactly what that felt like.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, what does it feel like? That's so amazing.
Speaker 1: Well, it feels like it feels like, oh my God, like relieving because you need it so bad. And then it feels like, oh shit, now here we go, you know what I mean, because it's a big deal. So I just things like that. That's where I'm like, I'm glad y'all have each other. I'm glad that you can find this this girl tribe that you can lift each other up and be like here for the highs, there for the lows.
Speaker 2: I love it.
Speaker 3: I'm going to tell you something, something bad and you and Carrie that song. I listened to that song over and over and over, because you know they're not all women are.
Speaker 2: Supportive of other women, especially in this industry.
Speaker 3: And I know for you you've been lucky and have great girlfriends in the music industry, but I'm sure there's a few that you won't name that are not always the same way. And so like when I listen to that song, I'm just like so jacked up, like something that's gonna happen, and you know what, watch out. But no, I just love that you have those relationships in the music industry, especially just because you can relate to what one another's going for.
Speaker 2: I love that going for.
Speaker 1: Yeah and Carrie, I mean we've been in it the same amount of time. I mean like we've been we've stayed in the game. And you know, I got to see her show in Vegas when I had my residency. She had hers at the same time, but only one of the times did our shows like overlap, which was during an NFR, And so she came to my show and the next time I went to her show, and it was just her show was amazing, y'all have y'all good, But like we got to just hang after and it's like, can you believe we're like look at us like that, because we're like still friends, still just killing it and lifting each other up, and like he's great about menstorn. She always brings junk female artists on her tour, and so I just you know that is like that's way more fun and having hate and being caddied. You know, it's way more fun to celebrate things together than like trying to tear each other down. Chrissa, we're the Miranda and carry of We're like freaking in it. God would be us for Halloween. It gets out to.
Speaker 3: Be say, Aaron has a fourteen month old and I agreed to go as Oscar the Grouch as part of one of the members too. We'll do that now you I have your clothes. I want to know what it's like having your residency, because it seems like a grind. What's the coolest and the toughest part of it?
Speaker 1: You know what, there's parts of it that are a lot easier than the road, and there's parts of it that are a lot harder. I mean the road is tough. I mean it's like it's sleeping on sleeping moving. I always say, it's really weird. I mean, you joined the circus, you live on tell us with people you're not in love with or related to. Weird, But we all just did it to get other and I've loved it and I've done it for since I was seventeen.
Speaker 2: Of it on the road.
Speaker 3: But of those bunk beds, I've always wondered, like they always look like they're so like packed in there. I mean, now you've got, you've got I'm sure a much larger bed. But at the beginning, like, oh, yeah, I was on.
Speaker 1: The bus, but yeah, I was on the bus with eleven dudes for like three years and we were doing like two hundred and twenty shows a year.
Speaker 2: It was.
Speaker 3: It was grand And at some point someone has his stomach ache. You know, that's where my I threw up. They it was back in our party day.
Speaker 1: So they were like, yeah, beyond the curtains, Io step in Pea because the camp while we're moving, it's just like, all right, those are the stories where you're like, Okay, let me give you the real tea. It looks glamorous when you step off the bus and SlowMo with your friend John, But it's only for those moments that it's glamorous. The rest of it you're like, oh, there's another dumpster cool, you know what I mean. But I love all the parts of it. But Vegas was a great break from that. It was yeah, spot We rented a house in the burbs because like there's real life off the strip, like people just lived like regular lives.
Speaker 3: And a friend's hasband played for the Golden Nights. My husband played hockey. So yeah, and I was like, what's it like living in Vegas. She's like, it's actually pretty great. Like you go obviously to the strip sometimes, but yeah, she's like, it's real life.
Speaker 1: It is, And it was actually and the weather's great, except that the summer it's really hot.
Speaker 2: But the weather was was awesome. I loved it. I love the desert.
Speaker 1: That's just so opposite of where I'm from that I just get so much inspiration from the desert and the sunsets.
Speaker 2: They're stunning. But I love Vegas.
Speaker 1: I mean every it's a lot. I mean it's like you can go get in.
Speaker 2: It or you don't.
Speaker 1: But I did love like the crowds were so they came dressed to the nuns, like, and I got my show. I got to have you know, we can't do certain things every night because we have to loaded all in a truck and go to the next city. So in Vegas it was like this stacee put and so it was like and there's no such thing as too much of anything there, So as many bronstones as we could find, as much friends as we could find, as much fire as we could put on the stage, many their lives, like we just did a big It was really really fun, And I haven't been that nervous in a long time. It's opening Vegas, Like I was so like my adrenaline was just going crazy because you know, I don't I've done this so much. I still love it, but I just kind of smooth sail through it. It's I don't get nervous.
Speaker 3: But that was really Yeah, you don't get my way. I think that's interesting, you know, yeah, because you never had that. I mean, of course you have it a little bit, but like it just was so natural from the beginning for you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I really would.
Speaker 1: I mean, I get like jitters in a good way, like I'm excited, but I don't feel like really nervous.
Speaker 2: But opening it on in Vegas, I was. I was on edge a little bit. I just wanted it to.
Speaker 1: We did so much rehearsal and so much planning. I really wanted it to like land where it was supposed to.
Speaker 2: But I loved it. I was. I'm so thankful for that time. It was two years resident peace. We didn't go, but I come see me out there. That's okay. We will. We are dressed as Carrie and Miranda.
Speaker 1: So.
Speaker 2: You'll know it's us.
Speaker 3: Is it easier to write songs when you have heartbreak or you're in love?
Speaker 2: You know, I probably heartbreak. I mean that's the statruth of it.
Speaker 1: But I've learned that you don't have to live every sad song you ever write, and you know, there's this this kind of mentality, especially for young artists, like you have to be tortured artists and you have to like write about all your pain. It's like that is important, and I think feeling all the feelings so important for a songwriter.
Speaker 2: But you can't live in that. You can't.
Speaker 1: If I've heard enough that I can go back, I can just go dig in that well anytime I need to. But I'd rather not be tortured and like live a happy life and I can still write a damn good sad song.
Speaker 2: We're All Gonna Be okay. Man got me through a lot of things, Miranda.
Speaker 3: Let me tell you. I would listen to that song and I would cry. It will make me cry out, but it was so cathartic. Like as a songwriter you help people through experience that in your ability to express what like we're thinking but don't even know how to put it down on paper. It's like, so I just my dad when I was a little kid driving the car, and he would make me take out the front of a CD cover remember when all the lyrics used to be and I love that, And he would make me He's like, you can't like a song if you don't know what's about. And he would make me look learn all the words of songs. So now when I listen to songs, it's like all about the lyrics. Obviously there's the melody, that's for sure, but like words matter, and like that, tin Man is just like do you have a again, You can't pick a favorite song, but is there a song of yours that like just resonates maybe more than others for you?
Speaker 1: Tin Man is a big one, you know. It's one of those two. I wrote that being very vulnerable and it's scary. It's like, okay, well there's so on this record Carson, Texas. There's one called Run that was a solo rite from like twenty fifteen or sixteen, and I didn't.
Speaker 2: Record it ever because I with them ready to.
Speaker 1: And I also like, when you write a song by yourself, that's really honest and it's really hard. You don't have anyone to hide, you know, I can't be like, well that was my co writer's story. Yeah, so but that's what I signed up for because that's the music that resonates with me. All the artists that I love, all the music I grew up on. Like, hearing about Merle Haggard turning twenty one in prison, I was like, oh damn, Like you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: I just appreciate.
Speaker 1: Honesty and vulnerability in music, in any art, you know, and just any human being. And so I sort of signed up for that, Like when I decided to be a songwriter and put my heart on tape. It's like that, I'm committed to that, even if it's hard sometimes. And then those are the stories that I get the most out of when people like you say, you know that song really got me through something good, because it cut me through something too. It's not just my story, it's all of our stories at times.
Speaker 3: You know, it was an anthem, So thank you for that. You really you give people gifts that you don't even like know you know how much. I'm sure you now understand when people tell you, but it really is special therapy.
Speaker 2: Give people free therapy. Yeah, exactly, because my therapy is not free either either. Who who would we be Shocked?
Speaker 3: Is on your favorite playlist, like your go to like pump you up or get you through some ship? Like who who are your girls?
Speaker 2: Who are your guys? You probably shocked? Mine, you mine.
Speaker 1: I mean, obviously I like love country, I really just do. But I love like Beyonce obviously, And I guess like if anybody would shocked, it'd probably be audio slave.
Speaker 4: Like shock, Okay, that's my like rage, Like we're going, do you have a dream collab?
Speaker 3: Like is there one you're like that's on your list where you're like I would love to whether it's right, or perform with or do a song anything.
Speaker 1: There's so many, there's so many. I'm like, I'm also truly open. I think I'm more open than ever. Like I love Tubble Rome like she's my newspapers. I love such a bad ass. So I got to meet Posts when he was hanging around NAS school. Such a sweetheart. So we'll collab at some point, and yeah, I mean, I just keep my options open. And I'm trying to like find new inspiration from younger artists too, of all genres.
Speaker 2: How does that work?
Speaker 3: Like do you were like do you put like you're like okay to your manager like call so and so, like how does the collapse happen?
Speaker 1: Sometimes that's how it happens. And now it's like DM which.
Speaker 2: I slide into the DMS for a collab. Weird about that. DM, that's terrible about it. So I'm like, hey, what are y'all doing it?
Speaker 1: I'm feel weird about that, but usually I go through management because I don't people.
Speaker 2: I don't want to put people on the spot, you know what I mean?
Speaker 3: Like if you see they read it and they didn't reply, like, hey, would you be interested in a cloud? I mean, does Miranda the Lambert get like that if they read it there's no response.
Speaker 2: I like, oh god, there's no bubble. No, I'm scared of rejection.
Speaker 1: But no, Like Charley Poos, we sat together at a table at the Grammys and then I DMed him and then we texted.
Speaker 2: He's great.
Speaker 1: I'm like, we need a clap, like it's a networking but it's just the new way.
Speaker 2: Just kids are doing it. Oh my god.
Speaker 3: Well we know how busy you are. Thank you so much for being generous and jumping on and chatting with us postcards from Texas. I know that you say that it feels like you, and everyone in your your close circle says it's the most like you. So I'm so excited for you your tenth album. Congratulations, Miranda, thank you, thanks for having me on and let's say, oh, oh my god, you never asked. I was about to think of my damn you. Hey, he's so good to talk to you. You want to come to it? Are you going to come to any of our games?
Speaker 2: Come to a game? I want to go to a few games.
Speaker 1: I'm trying to figure out my schedule because we want to thread up with album Chris.
Speaker 2: So I want to come to some games.
Speaker 3: Wait, so I have the Your husband probably wants to go to this. Well, no, Thursday night, we have the Giants and the Cowboys, so it's the best of both for you. It is and Giants.
Speaker 1: You were at that game in Texas last year. Okay, so that my makeup artist is in the other room. She saw you in the elevator. She said it was so cool, Jillian.
Speaker 3: I guess Miranda Lambert you saw her in the elevator.
Speaker 2: She said, oh yeah, he's so cuteful. Come here.
Speaker 3: She's gonna love that. Jillian, You're not because I have airplugs on. But I also have chiefs at San Francisco kind of a big matchup on fox wave to Miranda. So not in the room, Julian, I'm kidding.
Speaker 2: Okay, So either.
Speaker 1: Any game I will I will literally get y'all's info and we will group text and we will and then we will brainstorm about what how it was cheerleaders dance song of mine should.
Speaker 2: This is, oh my god, this is great, dreams perfect, done, done and build me, yeah, brand build me. This is amazing. Well, thank you so much for having me and I appreciate it. We will your love you bye.
Speaker 3: Calm Down with Erin and Carissa is a production of iHeartRadio. For more podcasts from iHeart Radio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you get your podcasts.