Speaker 1: Welcome back to another edition of the Frida Egg Podcast. Today's episode is powered by td Ameritrade. Every stroke counts on the scorecard and every penny counts in the market. That's why tedamor Trade is committed to straightforward pricing with no surprises, so you're free to swing with confidence. Visit tedomritrade dot com slash Fried Egg member SIPC. Today's guest is Charlie Danielson. Charlie competed in last week's US Opened, making the cut and finishing T fifty eighth. Charlie was a four time All American at the University of Illinois in turn professional midway through twenty sixteen. Shortly after he turned pro, a knee injury from his youth flared up and he had to get a big surgery to repair it, so he is on the end. He's actually eleven months through the twelve month recovery process, so it looks like he's going to be back in top form shortly, as evidenced by his per formance getting out of locals and Sectionals, qualifying for the US Open, then also making the cut this weekend. So without further ado, here's Charlie Danielson.
Speaker 2: I miss the green. For example, I'm already upset. When I find my ball in the bunker, I'm really upset. And when I find my ball in a brid egg Friday egg, the dreaded Frida, egg Frida, egg Frida, egg Brian egg Frida, egg bride egg Lie, I'm about ready to run off of the hump.
Speaker 1: Course, you probably didn't have the highest expectations to when he when he signed up for the local.
Speaker 2: No, I didn't. I mean I had been doing like a couple of little mini tours and and I spent my winters down in Arizona, and so I felt like my game was trending in the right way, but I was maybe eighty percent and just kind of bunting it down the fairway. And then just week after week I started getting a little more confidence in my game and in my knee. And then I went back moved back up north to Wisconsin, and I felt like, you know, I could if I just kind of stayed patient in the locals, I could I could probably squeeze through. And I was fortunate enough to I think a birdie my last three to be a medallist. And then sectionals was definitely a place where my expectations were low, just because I was at a pro site where with a ton of good players, and really I had nothing to lose.
Speaker 1: It's funny how I hadn't played golf in like a month until yesterday. So I mean I was on the first teape just like hoping to make contact.
Speaker 2: That's how it goes. I mean when I when I was uh, I probably went six almost six six months without touching the club just because on the couch and then rehab and when I first started making some swings, it was just like I was the same way, just hoping to you just kind of like hope that your game comes back, because you know, sometimes people just they lose it for good. And uh, you know, fortunately and I'm still kind of trending the right direction.
Speaker 1: So when you were when you were hurt, what were you what were you doing to keep yourself busy other than rehabbing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well for the first probably I couldn't even start physical therapy for the first four weeks because my knee just needed rest. Like the only time I would get up was with crutches to go to the bathroom, and so I don't think I made it up the stairs to my bed for like fourteen days. And so the first month was just like survival. I mean, you know, taking pills, having my mom feed me. And then once I kind of started being able to get on the crutches and get off the couch. So probably from month one to three, I could at least, you know, start getting into a car and going to rehab. And that was when things got a little better, because you start to see a little light at the end of the tunnel. And I loved rehab because that was just like it was the only thing I could do to make me feel productive, to make me feel like, you know, I'm getting I'm getting back as soon as possible. And uh, and then I would say, you know, I just did some reading obviously, just crushed a ton of Netflix shows and uh, and I had my my parents were around most of the time, and then hung out with my dog. Just it's just really silly stuff. But and then obviously a ton of reflecting, like you just you just sit there on the couch and you think, you know, you think about how you can get better, You think about you know the weaknesses of your game, you know what you're doing well before you got hurt, and so yeah, it was a lot of reflection as well.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think I think it's unique. And most players that have the injuries happen like you know, when they're thirty five or you know, as they get older. When they have you know, they've had a long career and then they have this time to reflect on, you know, what they've done to date. But it's you know, having just turned pro, you know, eighteen months or so before, like, you know, what was it really you know, what were you kind of reflecting on it? You know, and what do you think about most?
Speaker 2: Would you say, well, yeah, so, I mean I continue to get better throughout college and so you know, I had high hopes coming out, played decent in some exemptions. My first year. You know, I played all around the world. I played some in Europe, PGA Tour, Web, couple of Latin and then I played a season up in Canada and I played seven events and so half the year and finished twenty first on the money list. So I was one spot out of getting into second stage and then end up going to first stage and missing. I shot like I can't remember, maybe like twelve under and didn't get through, and so then that was a huge bummer. And then a month or two later, just when I feel like, all right, now I have a full season in Canada next year, and then you know, and then you start to think, and then the web, and then you know, hopefully the PGA tour of the year after that, and then my knee starts to hurt, and you know, shortly after Q school and so then I just you know, start to panic a little bit and go meet with the same surgeon I went to in middle school, and he's like, look, we can try all these shots, we can try physical therapy, and we can see if you can get this thing back to where you can play golf. And so I took the chance and did all of that for six months and nothing worked, nothing at all. So our last resort of surgery, which was a bummer because I had just delayed everything six more months, and now I'm looking at a twelve month recovery. And so, you know, while I'm reflecting, I'm thinking about, you know, all the unfortunate things that have gone my way. I felt like, you know, my talent and my work ethic, you know, everything was good enough to at least be on the web, and you know, I'm seeing all of the guy all my buddies, all the guys I went to school with and competed against, and you know, they're all having success. And that's that's really tough. And it kind of gives you the option to either feel sorry for yourself and think of everything that that has that haven't gone your way, or you can or you can just you know, continue to believe and work hard and you know, and then that was kind of when rehab started, and I just wanted to work as hard as I could to get back as soon as I could. And you know, when you sit out that long, you come back and you're hungry, you're refreshed, and you're kind of just grateful to be on the course again. And I think that's that's a new perspective. I think I learned that when I was in middle school, big basketball player, you know, focused on that. And then I have that time off and then I start to miss golf and I come back and that's kind of when I started to to really enjoy it and kind of the same thing here. You know, now I'm just fortunate to be back. I've been through a year and a half of professional golf. I know, I know it's a grind, but I also know that that I belong out there, and so yeah, I mean that's just kind of a little summary of what went through my mind, what happened, and you know, everything that I was thinking about.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I imagine it's kind of odd good, I think. You know, nowadays, especially with specialization, how you know, most high school kids play one sport. It's it's like you got the you've got a rare year plus break off of golf, Like nobody gets that anymore. That's trying to play pro. You know, you're going pedal to the metal from when you're fourteen or thirteen years old all the way through. You know how you know your professional career, you never get any time off.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean that's that's very true. And uh, you know, now people just you know want to play a year round golf. And that was the interesting interesting thing for me is is when I was growing up in Wisconsin, you know, I had a six month season and then I would kind of go to other sports and and then I decided to stay Midwest and go to college and and coach my as was huge on that, Like you've you've been used to a break and you've been used to having that time off in the winter to you know, reevaluate, figure out what you need to work on, but also get away from it. And uh, and he was he was kind of viewed that as a positive thing. And I think that most people now just think that they need to work, you know, twelve months out of the year, you know, grind on their game. And I think that says a lot. And so that I do think that, you know, it is maybe a little blessing in disguise that I had all that time off. Well, obviously I'm I'm impatient and just you know, wanting to get out there so bad. But you know, you got to think that everything happens for a reason. And I learned a lot throughout that process.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think I agree. I've got a buddy from Chicago who plays on the web and he, after a number years of living in Florida, started to just said, you know, I'm going to live in Chicago and and you know, just you know, when we're off or off and I'm in Chicago even if it's winter, And you know, he seems to have liked it much more. It's it's a fascinating concept. So, you know, thinking about Illinois and Coach small so obviously you went to Illinois, you were four time All American, you progressed, and and there you have school. When you when you graduate and you start playing golf for a living, what would you say is the most difficult aspect of that transition?
Speaker 2: Well, I would say, you know, in college, you get used to, you know, the team aspect, You get used to everyone doing your travel for you and you they kind of make a schedule for you and you know everything. And then you turn pro and you're completely out on your own. You know, you have your family to support you, you have your agents to kind of get you into tournaments, but it's a lonely world, and especially when you don't quite have the results that you're expecting, it gets it gets tough, and that's when doubt starts to creep in. That's when you start to realize, like, you know, am I made out to be a professional golfer, And it's not easy. And there are so many guys that come out of college and make that transition look so easy, and that's really impressive because you know, most of the time, it is a it is a big transition, and it's a tough transition, and and it was for me. I mean, yeah, I made some cuts out on the PGA Tour, you know, played played pretty well in some web events, you know, played solid and half a season in Canada, but it didn't get me anywhere. You know. It came down to Q school for two years, missed miss both years, and then you're just kind of looking at, Wow, I have to start over for the year. And so I think a lot of it's just you know, learning and progressing and you know, getting used to every experience and you know, learning from other players. I think that all goes in to to continue to become, you know, a better professional golfer. And and I think that you know, I've already learned so much through the two or three years that I've been out.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's definitely something that's changed in the last i'd say decade, is you.
Speaker 2: Know, the the.
Speaker 1: Success that young players has had. You know, it just seems like now it's younger and younger and more and more people have success and and when you and a lot of it comes down to in some cases, a good break here or a good break there. And you know, for you the first stage of you know, missing out on second stage of Q School by you know, one spot on the Canadian Tour and then shooting twelve under. It's just like kind of just a matter of circumstance, and it's just so it's interesting because like you think about Jordan Spieth, like he had you know, he missed out, he missed second stage, or he missed going to final stage and then you know he gets on an exemption and he wins and you know, he hits the pin on that bunker shot. It was kind of a great break and a lot of times it comes down to a good break here, a good break there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I totally agree, and it just comes down to playing well at the right time because you know, even even if you get to final stage, if you don't play four solid rounds, I mean good chances, you don't have you know, full web status that next year. And so you know, you just you hope to get a break. You hope to get you know, either Monday qualify and have a great week throughout the year. You know, just a ton of things. You know, I've talked uh with Nick Hardy about this all the time because we we both you know, aren't on the Web and feel like, you know, we should be, and we really want to be But it's just it's just a matter of you know, believing that you keep working hard, you keep doing the right things, you keep believing that some way or another, you're going to get You're going to get out there. And so I would say, you know, belief, belief, and playing well at the right time, It's all going to happen. It's just a matter of staying patient.
Speaker 1: Ye had you made the cut at the US Open, had a really good week, you know, with a with the exception of a whole here, a hole there, you would have been, you know, up in the top twenty five or so. What what are the plans for the rest of the summer.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so, uh that was uh, that was quite the week. And we can talk about that in a little bit, but uh, the rest of the summer, I would say, you know, I'm in the I'm in the Barracude Championship that you know, I've played two years already, and so I have that in late July, maybe waiting on you know, another exemption here and here or there, but you know, focus up in Canada and uh, just do everything I can to to continue to play well and just kind of trust the process. But you know, it's all kind of just building momentum throughout the year by the time I get to Q school and I and honestly, I still have to get healthier. I'm I'm not at the point now where I can just quit rehabbing and I'm good to go. You know, I don't have my speedback. Awkward lies and bunker shots still give me problems with my knee, and so that's also that's also something that's you know, pretty comforting, is I've I've already accomplished a little bit coming after the surgery, and I still I still have to get healthier and you know, looking forward to to continuing to get my leg stronger and getting back to one hundred percent.
Speaker 1: We see it with a lot of guys when they when they have an injury and then you know, did having the injury and then you know you had this period of time where you couldn't full swing. But I'm guessing you went and you could start to putt and then you started to ship to have you noticed that you know that's helped your short game and putting a lot that dedicated focus.
Speaker 2: Yeah, definitely. I Mean when when I was in college, I mean that was basically all Coach Wall preached was you know, work on that short game. And we sat down with Bob Rotella a couple of times and it was work on one hundred and twenty yards and end. You know, that's it's so important. And I think people see, you know, the top players in the world right now, and they're just they're just great ball strikers who hit it far, but they're also so good from one hundred and twenty yards and end, and so yeah, I think that's that's something that has kind of It's always been my mo It's what I've always loved to work on. And I think that was pretty nice having that extra time to to start to work on my short game so that when you know, when I was healthy enough to swing, that my short game was already good to go. I just you know, needed to group the swing.
Speaker 1: So Coach Small's had a ton of success. You were on some of some just unbelievable teams at Illinois when Thomas Feeder was there, and then you know, you guys had Thomas Dietree and Brian Campbell and Nick Hardy and Dylan Meyer, and you know a lot of times he takes you know, the thing that is most impressive as the player development. How everybody that seems to go there becomes such a better player. What is it about Coach Small and his approach that you know really helped you guys and consistently improve.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and the player development was that's why I chose to get to go to Illinois because you watch you know, the Luke Guthries, the Scott Langleys just get better and better and you know, become one of the top players in the country. And uh and my dad was was huge on that with helping me with the recruiting process and and I think that's kind of what sealed the deal was watching how if these guys buy in to the culture at Illinois, they're continuing to to grow as players and you know, be able to compete individually, and that leads to the team being you know, top five in the nation. And so that was really intriguing. But once I got to Illinois, I obviously was surrounded by some unbelievable teammates. You know, they're they're great golfers, but they are great guys who who fit the culture, who love to work hard and and so you know, yeah, I got thrown in my freshman year with an incredible team and you know, learn a lot. And I would say the biggest thing that coach Mall will teach you is is one is to do everything the right way. You know, show up on time, look professional, and so you kind of grow as a man, you mature and and that's also a huge part in becoming a better golfer, I would say. And then he was he was just big on mental toughness and short game, you know that stuff that he would he would talk to us about all the time we'd practice. And you know, when you're listening to a guy who's played on the PGA Tour, who's taught you know, some top players in the country, who's played in at least twelve majors, won some club pros, you know you're gonna listen to this guy because he's been there. He knows what it takes. He's seen golf at the highest level. And uh so, yeah, I mean the moment I got there, I bought in. I loved it. And Coach Small isn't you know, just this nice guy. He's gonna he's gonna be honest with you, and sometimes you know you're you're not going to hear what you want to hear. But that's the great thing about him.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, definitely, I mean critical, you know, but fairs is the best way to have some you know, get better with uh with small and and kind of there's like a crazy stat with him. I mean it's the most amazing thing is like in the mid two thousands, nobody had a better made cut streak on the PGA Tour except for Tiger Woods, like for like a long stretch of time, which is it's just nuts given the guy like only plays a couple months of a year.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean he he doesn't practice all that much, but he is so good that you know, I think last year he had three top tens in a row or you know, three out of four in a row on the Champions Tour. And he doesn't practice very much. You know, he's a busy man, and so that just that just shows how much talent he has and how much you know, mental toughness and confidence he has in himself.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's amazing. I mean it shows he also like loves what he does, because it's very clear he could be making a lot of money playing golf himself.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, I mean he he loves you know, coaching us. He loves being tough on us. He loves seeing us have success. He loves you know, every part about it. And there are so many highs and lows in college golf, and he he loves, you know, every part of it. He loves the adversity. He loves the struggle because he knows that it'll make the team tougher. And and you know, he's really good at making the schedule because he'll purposely, you know, bring us to courses where we're going to get tough lies, we're going to get bad weather, we're going to play on grass that we're not used to. And so he'll bring us to certain tournaments that you know, aren't you know, the top, top tournaments at the best courses in the US. He'll he'll throw us into some adversity and he's doing it just to prep us to build momentum by the postseason.
Speaker 1: This last week at Pebble Beach was your second US Open. You played in the twenty sixteen US Open at Oakmont and then this year's at Pebble. How would you compare the difference between the two sites.
Speaker 2: That was I was still an amateur. I was waiting to play the Palmer Cup. So I decided to take my amateur exemption into sectionals and qualified through Ohio. And yeah, so I played Oakmont as it was my second PGA Tour event because I had played Riviera as Nam as well, and then yeah, I mean Oakmont was an absolute beast, and you know, I'm taking in my first major experience and it's tough. I'll just say it. It's tough to play well at your first one. You're playing an unbelievably tough setup, and especially at being Oakmont. I mean, it's just a monster of a course where you got to hit the fairways and even when you do, you gotta hit the greens and then you got undulated greens that are running at least fourteens and without the rain that week, I think they were expectingly cut to be eleven or twelve over and I think it may Bee was six or seven. And so that was, you know, obviously a big learning experience and I was still an amateur, still had a lot to learn. So this one was completely different. It was my first time being at Pebble Beat, so I got their Sunday, had four days of prep where I could just play nine holes every day, give my knee, some breast, and I just felt more comfortable out there. I felt like I knew what I needed to do to get prep, to get prepped, and I felt like, you know, you don't need to be out there practicing and playing all day because you know, rest is just important. You just got to get used to the grass, get used to the golf course. You know what you need to hit off the tee tease and get the speed of the greens. And I felt like I did a good job of that. And that's just, you know, that's credit to having those experiences when I was younger that you know obviously where I didn't play well, but it's just you you learn things by you know, playing and being around great players that you can use in your future experiences. So so Pebble was amazing. I mean, it's probably my favorite golf course ever and it it was a it was a great test. I I thought that the greens were gonna get a touch firmer and a touch faster than they ended up. And I don't know if that's kind of because of the moisture that was lingering every every morning, but I thought it was. It was an awesome venue and an awesome golf course, an awesome setup by the USGA. So you know, I was I was thrilled. I had thirty plus people out there watching me Thursday Friday, and you know, to make the cut and give them a few more days to watch the golf.
Speaker 1: Was not to mention who you had to play with it on the weekend, you.
Speaker 2: Know, yeah, yeah, it was. I got done early on Friday, and so I was just watching the scores and and it was I knew that I was either gonna play with Charles Howell, and you know, he's he's such a great guy. But I knew that it would be the last person to post at minus one, because I was the first person to post at at even And so I was watching it. You just see like DJs at minus one and then Phil's at minus one, and I'm just and then you know, Tiger was in there, and I'm just like, tomorrow is gonna be a crazy day. And it ended up being Phil, and it was. It was. It was a fun Saturday. I I honestly, it was probably the best day of golf I played. And that that sounds so silly to anyone who looks at my scorecard and sees that I shoot seventy seven, but I make two silly fluke triple on six and eight, and you know, play pretty flawless other than that. And uh, you know, I had a blast with uh with Phil because the crowd, the crowd loves him. You know, they're very vocal around him, and uh, you know, I couldn't help but to to soak it all in and just smile all.
Speaker 1: Day playing in front of such a big crowd and such a loud crowd. Was it was there anything that was noticeably tough or was it you know, did it kind of turn into white noise?
Speaker 2: Yeah? You know, I would hear, I would hear and laugh at you know, people making comments about you know, give him the thumbs up or let me see your calves, and they you know, what Phil's done on social media. The crowd just loves to talk about it on the golf course. But then you know, they're they're they're respectful when you get over a golf shot. And and and I honestly enjoyed it. It was it was cool to see. It was cool to get thrown into the mix on a weekend at a major. And you know, the only thing that I felt like was tough. Was I have a kind of a disaster happened on six and you know, without even hitting a bad shot, and then we we get warned on eight, you know, just to catch up with the group in front, and I miss club. On eight, I'm in the fairway and I'm miss club and it bounces back into the hazard and now I'm like, okay, you know, we're a little we're a little behind. You know, let's just let's just get this on the green, get my five and get out of here. And you know, I have a crazy line in the hazard. It's a Frida egg and the back bunker, and you know, with running completely away from me with nothing, you know, I have no shot, and so I'm just like rushing. I'm like okay, and I just feel like I'm in Phill's way. And that was a huge learning experience because you know, that's where I just need to take a deep breath. You know, I'm I'm fine. I'm I'm a fast player, so I don't need to worry about, you know, being on the clock or getting timed, and you know, things just start moving really fast and you know, to make two triples. It was it was really tough. Obviously it hurt a lot, but I just felt like my game was in a good place and luckily was able to to rebound the next ten holes and shoot even par and then you know, one under on Sunday.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's uh, you know, you got Phil and then you got Luke Downald, the former number one. It's like a pretty pretty cool weekend.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was. And obviously Sunday I'm teeing off earlier in the morning, less of crowd lookes a little bit of a quieter guy. So I felt like Sunday was, you know, a nice walk around Pebble Beach. But uh, yeah, Saturday, I tell you what it was. It was a lot of fun and definitely a day that I'll remember.
Speaker 1: You know, Oakmont and uh Pebble. Did you feel like the set like did you feel like different things were really important at each core, like different skills were important at each course or were they pretty similar, like you just have to play really well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I would say Oakmont, you know, every single part of your game needed to be on it. You needed to hit the fairway and it was a long course, so if you didn't, you know, you're chopping out of the rough. And then you still got to hit good shots to make your bogie. And you know, the greens were so fast and so sloped, it was it was tough. And so if you get going a little sideways, you know you're you can bogie every hole. And then I felt like at Pebble I was probably you know, swinging it a little better than I did at Oakmont, But I felt like, you know, you're not hitting drivers every hole. You get that ball in the fairway, you hit some some good iron shots, you know, you try to miss it in the right spots. Pebble was just it was just easier. I mean, just the fact that you know, you could be a little more conservative on the off the tee if you needed to be. And and you know, once you hit fairways, the greens weren't, you know, crazy firm, So you know, it was pretty receptive to to irons coming in. And I think if you just kind of get through holes eight, nine and ten at Pebble, you know, the rest of the golf course you know you can kind of get if you hit you know, quality shots.
Speaker 1: There's so many you know, you get so many wedges out there, there's so many opportunities to make a bird but like as you got it, like it's all about it's seemingly to me avoiding disaster at Pebble.
Speaker 2: Yeah, totally. And there are holes that you know definitely can give you some serious trouble. And uh that's the thing about you know, US Open. It just amplifies, you know, any bad shot, and it was it was fun and I like I saw a tweet. I think it was Paul Tasori, who is who's web Simpson's caddy, who said, you know all these holes that are short, you know one eight, he went through them that are all playing over par and uh, you know, I think that's pretty cool. It's just you know, having these holes where you can hit irons off the tees and almost have wedges in and they're playing over par and uh, you know that just that just shows you how tough the us GA is is setting up these us.
Speaker 1: O how'd you play for did you lay back or did you ever go for the green?
Speaker 2: Oh? I definitely laid back. That was that was a no brainer for me, just because I felt like, you know, you have to hit a perfect drive and you're not even guaranteed birdie just because of how slope that green is and and you know you probably would just need to be on the upslope of the left bunker. So it was it was a layup and you know, wedged in and try to keep it blow the hole every time. Yeah, it's funny.
Speaker 1: I was watching some goth and JT went for it. I watched him and a he got into the right bunker, terrible place, makes bogey, you know, right behind him, DJ hits it, goes for it, hits it in the water. I saw heele hit it in the water again on Sunday and it was like that was such a neat hole. But like it's amazing how that hole. Like if you if you just hit the iron, you're like given a wedge into a green, you know, but it's so tempting.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, I'll take an iron in a way all day versus hitting a driver into a super crowded green that you know can give you a big number. And when you when you hit an iron and you know, into the fairway with a wedge in your hand, it's you shouldn't make worse than a par. So I just thought, you know, pars are good on this golf course, and uh so I decided to lay up.
Speaker 1: How'd you get looped up with your caddye Andy Martinez for the week.
Speaker 2: So the Steve Holka has been caddying for me on all my PGA tour starts, and he used to caddy for Brian Davis, and Brian Davis was out with injury, and uh so now I was out with injury, and then Hulka caddied for Dylan Meyer, my former teammate last summer, and then Brian Davis is back playing now. So so Steve Holka was caddying for Brian Davis at the Dallas sectional and they made it through and the same one that I got through, And so I knew that Hulco would be cadding for him at the US Open. And so, you know, while dealing with my agents and dealing with Halco, who's very connected and with all the caddies, he reached out to me and said, hey, my mentor is Andrew Martinez, and he you know, he's caddied two hundred plus competitive rounds out at Pebble Beach and he's won a US AM out at Pebble Beach and you know, he's a Hall of Famer, And so I thought it was kind of a no brainer to have, you know, a Hall of Famer who's from the area, knows pebble, well, you know, a veteran who you know, I felt like I could probably get pretty comfortable with. And you know, he was nice enough to take the job. And uh, he's a great guy. He uh he loves to tell stories. He loves the talk, which is good because it keeps my mind off golf. And uh, you know, he he taught me a lot and he had a lot of knowledge about the golf course and uh so it was it was a very cool experience. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I ran into him on Monday and I was like, what do you he telling me? I was like it, But he's such a he's such a great guy. I mean, and the guy in his resume with you know, Johnny and Tom Layman, and I mean, he's just an incredible, incredible guy. And then just you said it best. He just keeps you so loose, if you're just playing golf with him, or if you're or if you're or if he's carrying the bag.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, exactly. And and for Johnny Miller and Tom Layman to to be loyal to him and and him to be loyal back to them, for so long. I think the says a lot about a caddie. And uh and he's still caddying a little for Tom on the Senior Tour right now. And I think he's semi retired, you know, he's he's getting up there in age and you know, probably wants to spend some time with the family. So I was just, you know, super grateful that he took the job. And you know, maybe maybe in the future, sometime this year next I'll have him back if it works. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he knows Pebble pretty well too, from from his years.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And uh, it was I thought that was an advantage to have him since I hadn't seen the golf course, and you know, he was from the area, so he he got down there even before I did and looked at the golf course and and uh so I yeah, I definitely think that that was an advantage to to have him on the bay, have someone who knew the golf course so well.
Speaker 1: In terms of like playing usams versus US opens, how, how how does the set up differ.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's actually pretty close, I would say, because I've I've played some usam's that I thought were trough. You know, I played Brookline and uh at the country club that was that was a beast. I played Olympia Fields, I played Cherry Hills and those were all you know, tough golf courses where if you're shooting even you are, you're passing people and you know, the only weird thing is that you know, you're playing two golf courses and then it goes to match plays, so things things change in your strategy changes. But I would say, I would say US ams are you know, it's a it's a great championship because they pick, you know, tough courses and set it up tough. I would say probably the greens get a little for at the US Open and uh, you know, the rough maybe gets a touch longer, but you know, the difficulty is definitely there in the US AM.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it seems like it's about the same, but yeah, just a little tougher. So hey, we uh, let you go here. But this is awesome talking and we'll have to. People can follow you on Twitter and Instagram. It's at Charlie Golf twenty four and then on on Instagram they can find you at.
Speaker 2: Charlie Golf and I think it's Charles Charles Goff.
Speaker 1: And yeah, and then we'll be seeing you on the Canadian tour mostly.
Speaker 2: Yep. I'll probably play play some in Canada. The schedule is definitely a little up in the air right now, but you know, maybe a PGA Tour event here here there, and then maybe some Web qualifying and and uh some up in Canada. Just getting ready for Q School.
Speaker 1: Yeah, hopefully hopefully somebody gets to some more exceptions on the On the PGA tour, you get more more Saturday tea times with Phil would be good.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'll take that anytime I can get it.
Speaker 1: You've been listening to the Fried Egg podcast.
Speaker 2: We do the digging for you.