Speaker 1: Watch up and welcome back to another episode of No Saler's podcast with your hosts Now fuck that with your load glasses, Malone.
Speaker 2: This is the song Becauzzo.
Speaker 3: It is a song.
Speaker 2: It was in it is it?
Speaker 1: It's four different females, that's okay.
Speaker 4: So she was saying that, so I was like, I didn't catch it. So I was trying to see if I go back.
Speaker 2: But I couldn't.
Speaker 5: Yeah, but.
Speaker 2: She was the one that was texting me throughout you.
Speaker 5: Know who brought up.
Speaker 2: Had like like like me now yeah, and then.
Speaker 5: Jay Worthy, they Worthy and them whatever.
Speaker 6: That's my point, Like, right, so you see how you just did.
Speaker 5: That forgot.
Speaker 1: Okay, people like you move.
Speaker 6: Like this, right.
Speaker 1: So marketing, right is storytelling right, It's storytelling mess in.
Speaker 6: A brand or product. I mean most part.
Speaker 1: Marketing is not necessarily advertisement or a postal. Marketing is what the posters say. It's like hip hop. Hip hop is not rapping. Hip hop is the coach rapping the slang you use it.
Speaker 6: So marketing is a story.
Speaker 1: So when God and then set the concert up, they set a story that was about him. Right now, that don't mean that can be other characters that play into the story. That he needs to validate the story that he's writing as a concert. So it's not about just if you like an artist you want them there. They have to fit exactly what they're writing, you know what I'm saying, Or they have to fit whatever the budget is. So yes, I am friends with head and friends and everybody up there, right, But it's not about It wasn't about me being that.
Speaker 6: It was about the way it was set up.
Speaker 1: I've been to that place five six times to perform in front of ten thousand people. That was Rymble's first time ever performing ever, so remble Rememble was a oh Rappers, keep rapp first.
Speaker 7: Okay, that's a very deliberate type of speaker.
Speaker 5: So okay, I missed him.
Speaker 1: So when you're asking me why I wasn't there, I was there. But it wasn't about me being on stage. It was about me watching my little brother have his moment. And sometimes you gotta be okay with an artist letting people have their moments. I mean, it's not the end of the world. It's not like if you step on this stage, it's like whoever got.
Speaker 6: On the stage.
Speaker 1: They make a hundred million dollars for me, So it's not you're not missing anything. That's not a moment that you can't recreate. Yes, it was a moment that everybody felt like the world was watching, But it was a moment that people was looking to see doc okay and hear what his story was as far as John Teeth went that he wanted to.
Speaker 5: Tell him as far as well, was he saying that it was about unity? So was it? It was unity for like all the rappers and everybody to come together? You know?
Speaker 1: Well, I mean I think, I mean, I didn't really ask to be honest, right, uh, but if I had to bet money, I would bet that that's what it was about. You know, it wasn't a ton of crips there, but it was enough. But I mean that could have went to a lot more seasoned performers, you know, like Zoe is still you know raw. Joe got some great songs set out the Old Summer, but he's really raw ramble.
Speaker 6: This is his first time.
Speaker 1: Kaitln is kind of coming into his own rights as a Yeah, Kalen is coming into his own rights as a season kind of vet.
Speaker 6: He's getting to a veteran status.
Speaker 1: The Cousins are a brand new female Girl Group Act. You know what I'm saying. It made all the sense in the world for it to be that way. It wasn't about nobody else, so.
Speaker 5: So why didn't So Okay, what was it with the game? Why wasn't.
Speaker 1: Either it wasn't about the game? Okay, Like I no, I get it, but I'm just.
Speaker 5: Saying, because I mean, Snoop wasn't there either to Canada. If he was, if he wasn't on tour, we have been there.
Speaker 6: I don't know. But why did.
Speaker 5: You even answered these questions?
Speaker 3: Geane?
Speaker 4: You usually it's the other way around, Asian not answering like today Asian own like she like, why.
Speaker 1: Well, because I think it wasn't about every last person that ever rapped on the West Coast.
Speaker 5: Well, yeah, see that's what they was trying to make it about, or you know, like the fans. And I think that's why game had addressed it, because he said people were saying, like, oh, to l A, the West don't fuck with you, or you know, they not messing with you. So he felt like, Okay, let me address this. And so when I asked why you wasn't like why you didn't perform? It wasn't I was and thinking as far as like it's not fucking with you. I was really just thinking about like, dang, that's a dope record that Hed died, that Ti Dollar was on that you did, and I thought that was like.
Speaker 6: Just a ton of dope records.
Speaker 4: I just felt like I just talked about the energy and the vibe and all that stuff, and.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it's every week, it's all the time.
Speaker 2: See this is see I need to get there.
Speaker 5: So that's what I need to do.
Speaker 2: I need to get there where it's just like that's just another day.
Speaker 6: It really is just another day.
Speaker 5: So like I was saying, this is why I wanted to know what is your Why why do you do this?
Speaker 6: Gee?
Speaker 1: Why do I make hip hop? So when I first started, I started to do it as just a business. It was like I wanted to replace the sharing business that I lost, the PCP spot on one hundred and eighteenth Street that the police took for me. So I wanted to create a business. So at first it was about, you know, rap in itself was just therapeutic. It was easy to kind of get me through all of the game bang and bull stuff.
Speaker 6: I was going through bullshit.
Speaker 1: But the business of it became about replacing the PCP, you know, the house I lost, and I needed a new business.
Speaker 6: I had already messed up my education.
Speaker 1: I wouldn't have had enough money to go back to college at that point, and it seemed far fetched, you know, no matter how smart, how great my grades was in high school, because I had already kind of start going down a completely different way. So my goal was to open like death rope, and then I just happened to rap. I know how to rap, but I didn't know about being a rapper. So that was why, like it was like, Okay, I'm gonna make this rap album, right, I know how to market because I know how to market sharm. I actually named my first mixtape, my first album, white Lightning, after some sharm I had it was like a clear sharm I called it white Lightning, so I knew people in the streets knew it was me. That's you know, people that's all to the street life. So that was my first thing, just replacing the business I lost. And after I started making money, not only did I realized there were more opportunities to do better and make more wealth and stuff like that, but also it just felt like when I got the deal I ended up becoming a rapper, and I didn't know anything about being a rapper because I never in my life dreamed about being a rapper. Like the only thing I ever dreamed my whole life of being was a pharmacist.
Speaker 6: You know what I'm saying. That's it. I didn't all the way in high school.
Speaker 1: I didn't dream of being anything else my pharmacists.
Speaker 6: Yes, question, yeah, briefly.
Speaker 8: You got a good business sense you have you'd been you know, without the minutia of regulations, operating a business on your own, and you getting the rapper and like I look at like, say, baby.
Speaker 1: He's not a rapper.
Speaker 3: Let's be honest.
Speaker 7: But m yeah, especially like you listen to the first couple of big timers, and I like the big timers.
Speaker 3: I liked the first couple of hours. You know, great, you know, great rapper.
Speaker 7: How did you not just happenstance your way into starting like it just being more on the business side of it and staying in the artists side of it, like you know.
Speaker 1: So when I first started, it was three of us. It was me, my little brother, Kate Style, and my homeboy, my one of my better friends best friends, d Dee Brown and D was the more rapper of us, or D had been rapping, you know, ten twelve years. You know, Me and Kay had just started rapping, messing around once we realized we wanted to open up a record company. So it was three of us at first, so I didn't have to put pressure on myself to be a rapper. I was just I knew I was a part of the act that we wanted to sell. Kay went to k start, got caught up fighting the case for bout the year. Damon went to prison, D went to prison, So it was just me and we had came too far at that point. We had already did a whole tape together and I was already starting to work on another, on a bunch of music. So me and Weedo the Nose, my engineer, Guedo the Nose A K D J G L A K A.
Speaker 6: Gary Ellis you know what I'm saying. We don't these.
Speaker 1: Produced dope too. It was just dope brother, No Silings, gl Peter in the house. I got Asia, whatever I got bred sat So so Guido was there like this was his time, Like he was the one who had been working on music and in the hip hop business he had been working like as a somewhat like an understudy or a partner. I should say to somebody like Rhythm d who had did real motherfucking g's for Easy E.
Speaker 6: He had didd he for Paperboy? Dude? Did he did?
Speaker 4: He?
Speaker 1: So like he had hit records, and you know, Guido was mixing these songs and a part of this stuff and not getting any credit, but he was getting all the knowledge. So when it was time for him to produce his own act, he had tried a couple guys. But with me, we had a different chemistry because unlike most people who you know, he deal with a rap They wanted to be a rapper. So they had an idea how it was supposed to go versus me, where I was still raw and I just believed in him, so I did everything he told me, you know what I'm saying. So he was able to produce me in a way he didn't produce most artists, and we ended up really making a great body of work. And while Lightning obviously game Face, you know, Face was very big on the Big Face hundred, he picked two hundred, he picked a couple other songs, and you know, it became really their dream, you know, Guido's dream, who had been you know, ten plus years prime at you know, making you know, fuck around the hip hop and making records.
Speaker 6: Big Face, who was like a super hip.
Speaker 1: Hop fan, like a brilliant mind game, who's blowing up, you know what I mean, Like he's about to be the biggest artists in hip hop in the next eight months. You know what I'm saying before his album comes out. Wow, this nigga gonna kill me. But it was other. It was it was the culmination of a few other people's work, you know what I'm saying. They were really primed. I was just this raw cultural phenom that really survived like a different life. I mean I really survived shulling open Game band and it was just different. So and I didn't smoke with or I didn't really drink, so I was hello articling. But I was doing a lot of the same shit everybody else was doing it. So my takes on it would be a lot more deeper and people could hear that through the music. So when I first started, it was just the start a business. Like I didn't really even consider myself a real rapper until twenty nineteen.
Speaker 5: MM hmm oh wow, wow straight up.
Speaker 1: So when you ask me why I'm doing it, and I get it because the average artists or the average rapper, you know, they really want to be famous. That's important to them. And I think that's why you asking me, right, because people love that moment where they get to pop out of me like, hey, it's about me, you know, you get me and somebody else's moment like a Kendrick Lamar moment for a.
Speaker 6: Pop out, so and you get up their heads about me. No, it's not. It's really about Dot.
Speaker 1: The moment is like, okay, sure, a Head is my friend. Dot is my friend, Kendrick is my friend, They're my friends. I'll talk to them and my friends and pretty much two careers are poured in, right, But what the fuck does it matter if I ask them, hey, let me get up on stage and do a song like a like a are you ping me?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 6: No, I'm not saying they wouldn't have paid me. But it's not even about it.
Speaker 5: I'm saying I wonder was it Okay? If I said, was it about the money? Were you like? You know?
Speaker 6: No, it just wasn't my moment. It was little Bro's moment. And and I am.
Speaker 2: I am.
Speaker 1: Secure enough not to make his moment about me or feel like I need to have a say in his moment. Like I've been watching him perform for years. I watched him do you know rooms with Take nine? You know what I'm saying. And you know him and Jay Rock, He's doing two songs a night, like we ate together every night on tour a lot of nights.
Speaker 6: I you know, we ate like I fed him like we was that type of cloth. I'm saying, this is my guy. That is my guy. And y'all, I ain't gotta tell you about how crazy it is with head. You know what I'm saying. So, but it just seemed lame, like that's that's my problem. Like in hip hop, y'all really.
Speaker 1: Like lame marketing, Like people are lame and you like it. I'm not calling them lame like like I'm not trying to insult them, we know. Just when I'm saying lame, I'm saying they're like thirsty.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I feel you on that.
Speaker 6: And have I thought to myself a million times? Does the thirst work? Yes? Y'all like thirsty people?
Speaker 5: I don't like thirsty?
Speaker 6: Yes you do?
Speaker 9: You surprised you No, I have cough. That's it's rainy, tough weather coffee, So it matters.
Speaker 6: You know what I mean.
Speaker 1: And it's like so even Chuck right with all of this moment with Game, Like I just did an interview with a brother from the IE. I forgot his name, real dope, young dude. He a little older than he not hella young, but young enough younger than me. So we did an interview and he was asking me about Game, and I'm like, man, Game is really fucking with y'all, so y'all have to cover him during this, like he is making the moment about him, right, So like, yeah, he fucked with Drake, you know what I'm saying. Of course, like Drake is somebody he probably really has a good relationship with, but he's not taking Drake side over dot No way possible.
Speaker 6: So it didn't matter what he posted. I know this, nigga.
Speaker 5: He said, Yeah, he said that Drake was his brother, and you know that they're both doing wonderful things.
Speaker 6: But that's all just cool.
Speaker 1: But that's another play Like God is like, like you know what I mean, we all family, even if all the time we don't see how to are there's no way possible. Certain people not gonna oppose us the West, like it's just us, you know what I'm saying, especially that particular person, because we really came under his reign like he was. He kind of paved the way, so that was never gonna happen. But Game is such a brilliant marketing person and always has since the first day. You know, he knew how to make the moment about him, and he did. He created a time within that battle between two of the biggest rap artists at that time, and for a reasonable amount of time we was talking about what Game was doing. The concert was, you know the other day, and people asking why Game isn't there?
Speaker 6: What the fuck does Game have to do with this concert?
Speaker 4: I think it was just more so I think they're looking at like like comptent artists like he, like you said, he basically paved the way, you know what I'm saying, And every artist wasn't there.
Speaker 3: Moments.
Speaker 6: What does that mean? It's his moment.
Speaker 5: He came talking to you as like somebody outside.
Speaker 6: Why would you not just be happy as a Kendrick fan about his moment?
Speaker 5: Why came there for Kendrick? They were happy, They were happy That's the whole thing.
Speaker 6: Why would anybody else be asked.
Speaker 5: People that wanted to see.
Speaker 6: The game, why the fun would they not go to games?
Speaker 5: But I'm saying it's because they're like, well, you know y G was there or.
Speaker 6: Another.
Speaker 2: But listen, be honest. If you know Mustard, yeah, his friends come out.
Speaker 4: If he wouldn't have brought out y G, I know people would have been like, why didn't Why wasn't why G there?
Speaker 7: That's from his kids got a lot more career though, like game don't have a ton of their careers are not to find by one another.
Speaker 10: They had, they got a lot of Yeah, they just didn't overlap a lot. And I have to respect how thirsty you guys like your artists to be.
Speaker 5: I don't. I'll just because the comments the game, I'm like, Okay, I wasn't thinking to see him there, but you I was like, why didn't you just come out? Why didn't pop out? But if you don't pop out? I really got to He already told you last episode.
Speaker 1: You don't what am I popping like? I'm not here to steal Dot's moment. This is his moment and that it's not about me. I didn't need to stand in the light, like I didn't need to stand in Dot's light. That Sean, we know that.
Speaker 6: So then I don't understand how could you go to a concert looking for somebody else.
Speaker 5: Look, Blast is an amazing artist, so a lot of people were excited to see Blast. That didn't take away from Kendrick's moment.
Speaker 6: You being there, What does that have to do with Kendrick.
Speaker 1: Drick's moment. I'm saying, what difference does it make? Nobody's talking about blast performance, not one person. We're all talking about Kendrick. You might even slightly mention the fact that Tyler was there, like that's different. You might talk about how people keep talking about how great YG did, Why G sold out that fucking arena nine months ago? It's fucking YG.
Speaker 5: So again, I think I was really excited.
Speaker 1: We in this weird space where we really want our artists Hella thirsty.
Speaker 2: And watching the screen.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that was our summer.
Speaker 1: And it's hard being a shepherd, man, What you're talking about hard being a shepherd?
Speaker 2: So you calling everybody sheep for sure?
Speaker 5: Oh wow?
Speaker 6: I mean you got to think about it.
Speaker 1: You are everybody feels this necessity needs to be where everybody what are saying that I'm saying, But just think about how much.
Speaker 5: I mean, I was happy watching it at home.
Speaker 6: Think about how much people heard together.
Speaker 1: Yeah you just heard, Yeah, they moving and heard like, Oh, I have to be there because everybody else is there and I'm not.
Speaker 2: Yeah what I.
Speaker 5: There?
Speaker 1: So to me, that's kind of the energy you asking me. You're like, well, that's why do you not feel the necessity that I have to be there? Because I'm big glasses low for real, I like the rapper, Like, for real, I'm saying, I really believe in myself. I really know I empower other people, and I know my moments I keep creating them. So my job is to create the next moment. I don't know how an artist was there and don't think to themself. They want their own moment and immediately go into a space to try.
Speaker 6: To build it.
Speaker 5: Yeah. So piggybacking off of that, when I said, what's your like, what are you doing it for? Who are you doing it for?
Speaker 1: I'm doing it, so first off, I'm doing it because I'm great at it. That's where we are at this point, right when I finally realized hip hop was for people from the streets, it's like, okay, maybe. And then as I finally embraced it and we got to tooth, I was of nineteen. I was like, you know what, I'm really about to be a rapper. I'm not going to be a street guy rapping to make money. I'm going to be a rapper rapping because I'm great at it and whatever it pays me at this point now is different.
Speaker 6: That's why I do it. Part two.
Speaker 1: You ask me who do I do it for. I do it for every ghetto nigga in the world because we all, for the most part, think the same. That's who I do it for. So every no ghetto nigga would be like, hey, glasses, call all your friends and get on the stage because we want to see you do your four and a half minute song. No nobody from the streets would give. They would have talked about it for two seconds. I saw you at the concert again, but this time it's Ken and friends, not this or that or this. It's like, right now, I'm trying to buck the game up. I ain't trying to feel me. I'm not trying to.
Speaker 5: But I just think that was I mean, when when my daughter had went to college and she went and she's playing blast and all a lot of our music. It was like they would have her like why are you playing that? Turn that off?
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 5: She's like, oh yeah, they love it, And you know, she was like, oh yeah, they were watching the concert and this and that, so we.
Speaker 3: Love you, we know you.
Speaker 5: But I get that You're like, why do I need to run on the stage. I'm just like, that was a good chance for people who don't get to hear your music all the time. They can hear it once. They if they hear good music, it's like, Okay, well who is that? You're memorable?
Speaker 1: Yeah, But at the end of the day, I'm also on every major platform in the country. I'm not just like, I'm not an upstart West Coast artist much is people. I've had three different eras of music that people discovery. The first time was in Certified in two thousand and seven and eight. It was a fan base of people that discovered me for that song and the stuff I was doing at that time. Then the resurgence with twelve and thirteen, which would have been White Lightning in that Glasshouse one that became a new high school audience. You know what I'm saying, where I would go perform that good like Power was playing it and made it the number one song, but performing it in front of high school bitches look crazy to me. I couldn't do it because I'm like, bro, why these little bitches dirating? Somebody should be whooping them? And at this point, you feel me. At that point, I'm thirty some years old, so I'm looking at these little high school bitches liked, you look like my little niege. Somebody should whoop y'all, so you know what I mean. And then Tupac must die, you know what I mean, And to this point introduced me to a bunch of new people who like, who is this new artist dis in pop? Well, the point of being great is you keep finding ways to reintroduce yourself to generation. So I don't need Kendrick's concert to introduce me to a new audience. I am going to for sure figure out a way and my little brother, you know, whether it's died or head, they're gonna be like, how the fuck did you do that?
Speaker 6: That's my job.
Speaker 1: My job is to keep paving the way, blazing the trail for greatness, you know what I'm saying. And their job is to keep doing what they're doing, but it was not devastating enough for me to call head or do hey, I want to be on the stage with you. I want to be up there with you.
Speaker 6: Hey man, you got it going on. I want to be up there so people can see me and say, hey, who's that guy standing next to the guy that we're all here to see. I never believed, and then I get it, and some people think it's crazy. I get it.
Speaker 1: I'll be in certain videos. I remember doing the Lil Wayne video for Lollipop. If you look at the like I'm in the video. I had a big cameo plan for that video. They had me, We're gonna do this big cameo. You know, Certified is popping, and you know Lollie Pop is finna be big. And I hated the song because I heard the song. I mean, this shit sounds stupid.
Speaker 6: The fuck is this?
Speaker 2: Like?
Speaker 6: This is Lil Wayne?
Speaker 1: Why does shit sound so dumb? So I hid from the opportunity. I've heard from that opportunity, So I agree there are sometimes I have made mistakes because obviously I do the cameo and it's a real small one at the end, right and then because I'm like I don't like this song, and I didn't think.
Speaker 6: I didn't know nothing about the record business.
Speaker 1: I didn't know about records, so I didn't know what the fuck would it was until I saw till Katina buying them. Shout out to Katina. The product manager at Universal played me the video in her office. Oh do you know we finished Dwayne video. I'm like yeah, She's like, this is finna be big. I'm like, man, that song horrible.
Speaker 6: I hate that song. What's up with the You know when we're doing that mini video and I remember.
Speaker 1: She's not gonna check it out, and she pressed playing and I saw it and I was like, holy shit, I fucked up. This is big, right because you had to see it, you know what I'm saying. And so I get those moments, and yes, my my lack of thirst, the fact that I'm overhydrated as a humor is that what it is? Overhydrated as a human. I'm hello confident, I'm hello secure, like I know that I am a special person and talent. So my overhydration sometimes has gotten away of my marketing. But unfortunately I cannot look thirsty. It's not going to work for me. It's devastating to my existence.
Speaker 5: I mean, well, now when you break it down like that, you know, I tell you that, you know, sure, it has been moments where and I was like, we're not doing that.
Speaker 2: There's been times you know it, you know it.
Speaker 5: Well, I just I didn't get to see the whole concert, so I you know, they were making it like it was a lot out of I mean, everybody was there.
Speaker 2: So it was people there, but not like on the stage, you know what I mean. But it was a ton of people there.
Speaker 1: You can you know, So look, I'm not saying that people who are selected on stage to perform.
Speaker 6: That was great.
Speaker 1: Like I discovered the Couzins. That was a cool thing to see them as this is my first time seeing them. Now I have to go look into them. That's the only people I looked into. I know the rest of them, niggas, Jason, every last one of them. Yes, I know the niggas.
Speaker 6: So they was just there.
Speaker 1: I'm not going to stream their songs. He's on tour in Canada. So again, it's like that was Kendrick's moment and all of those people connected to a storyline that he wanted to write for this concert, and he did a great job of weaving that storyline in too, you know, a great conversational piece that we're talking about you days later. I don't understand what the fuck it got to do with me.
Speaker 5: Well, Game mentioned you in his his rant, like g.
Speaker 1: But you know I feeling, I mean, maybe you have to be a little thirsty. I think maybe you think you gotta be a little thirsty pize to make it happen in the business.
Speaker 9: Yeah, yeah, probably I think you do.
Speaker 2: You got to kiss a lot of ass.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 6: Ice to me, to me, to me, Ice Tea wasn't thirsty, you know who. I didn't get thirsty.
Speaker 1: I didn't get I see, I mean, accomplished actor, regular street guy.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I don't think it was that thirsty. Wo to short.
Speaker 3: A lot of shit, too short, a lot of ship. Yeah, but he goes out of his way.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but I don't think he really ice Q ice Cube was a thirsty marketing artist.
Speaker 5: I don't know. I don't see.
Speaker 1: I don't know, man, because I just don't think you could have told me ice Cube in nineteen eighty eight would have been like, I need to be on that stage with you.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you got.
Speaker 1: You're right about that promise.
Speaker 5: I need to be. I'm just saying like, if people would have dropped the wreck like something like you're.
Speaker 1: Like, and it's crazy because that's for that moment, right, Nobody, like nobody else put out songs that night, like even the moment, the opportunity. No, nobody was prepared for the moment. And maybe I don't know Martin, he just dropped no, but he didn't drop a song that night. Yeah, and he had a problem atic fan tastic performance show.
Speaker 6: You know, I don't know if. I don't know if if if.
Speaker 1: Like you have to be prepared for you how to talk to him?
Speaker 5: I want to know why he changed his name.
Speaker 6: I think he felt like he outgrown problem the moniker.
Speaker 7: Hm.
Speaker 6: I feel like he thinks he's out growing up.
Speaker 5: Is he creating looking to create a whole new like just fan base, because well.
Speaker 6: I think he's looking to bring his fan base into who.
Speaker 5: He is, Okay, Because I mean, my dude was like, yeah, quick, got this album with these guys. I started laughing because it's not oh yeah, is it Jason Martin.
Speaker 6: Somebody was saying that to me. Somebody was saying that to me when Problem was performing.
Speaker 5: It was like, isn't this problem song. I'm like, yeah, so I should, babe, that's problem he said, Oh wait.
Speaker 4: And it's funny because when I was watching the concert or whatever, I was sitting here and I'm like, I think again, like.
Speaker 1: Oh shit, And it's funny to me because I get it. But this is why I'm wondering, does marketing need to be thirsty? Like I do believe marketing has to be primitive, I think, And I think that was the greatest thing I figured out coming up into twenty nineteen, and right now, like I'm fixing a few things that I did would cancel these nuts. I'm about to do a really fantastic magical marketing thing on something and people are gonna be like, damn glasses.
Speaker 6: This killer.
Speaker 1: But it's also because I understand that marketing needs to be very primitive, you know what I mean. The brands need to be primitive. It need to be very simple because like a name switch like that can be devastating. And I think he's trying his best, right he's on Spotify, says problem Slash Jason Martin. Right, but it's like you giving people entirely. People are busy with their own life. They don't have time to figure out your and on mid life crisis. Why you need to become another artist. They don't want too short to become tired. They like too short. So you know, you gotta choose as a business. Imagine one day we woke up and make Donald's change their business.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I can't take too many artists that have done that, that have changed names.
Speaker 6: Titty Boy became too changed. It would be like him, and like.
Speaker 1: Puff became young Bird becoming uh.
Speaker 6: Daddy, his name is Bird. Most people don't know that's Bird.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, I.
Speaker 1: Remember hit maker is a producer versus Bird as an artist. But like a lot of times, nay, no, quick, j quick, Oh, his son is probably producer.
Speaker 5: I just I thought that was him when I see his name, because sometimes goes by.
Speaker 3: I think I'm a thirsty thing.
Speaker 7: There's a gap, like that's very much a spectrum, like there is thirsty, but there's also like purposeful aggressive. It's like thirsty aggressive, purposeful, and then like lacking, you know what I mean, as you drift in and out of how deliberate you want to be putting yourself out there, you know, m hm.
Speaker 3: So it's all relative, I suppose, and that's certain certainly true with like comedians.
Speaker 7: I'm sure that there's a lot of comedians which and that are had the opportunity to be on tours like Original Kings and didn't want to do it or whatever the hell.
Speaker 6: I mean.
Speaker 1: I think I have, Like I said, I have missed opportunities out of ignorance. That just wasn't one of them. Lollipop video that was I fucked up. That was supposed to be big, that would have been like big. I mean, who is that nigga? I'm saying it was that big? It was like in the middle of the video, and I missed the opportunity. So I'm really mindful of missed opportunities. But I'm also just the low and I'm not going to really like be thirsty about it, Like it just don't make no sense. Like I believe in myself and my abilities too much, you.
Speaker 6: Know what I mean.
Speaker 1: But I also don't want to miss the boats that God seend as well, right.
Speaker 6: But again, like to make that work for me.
Speaker 1: Like even if I was to do the pop out, if I would have did it, I wouldn't need to drop a song that night called to pop out. I'd have had a thousand things they would have to put my merge in the merged boot. Like to me, you have to make it a whole thing. If you just show up and just getting somebody's light. It just kind of just showing up and getting somebody's light, like.
Speaker 5: Just showing up and taking the picture real quick.
Speaker 6: It's some artists to me.
Speaker 1: To me, like I know certain management and different people who believe in that just showing up everywhere and getting in all the pictures, Like who is that?
Speaker 6: I mean, I'm sure that marketing can work for some people.
Speaker 9: I know it does.
Speaker 1: But Glasses is really like myself, like I'm hell alike, I'm an innovator, like I'm my ingenuity is crazy, like I could create moments like I keep doing it over and over again. I'm on the verge of doing it a year now where niggas is feeling to be like damn at. Actually my greatest moment is about to be coming up. What I'm saying, because like I care about the game at its most primitive levels, Like if I'm a fuck with it, I decided to fuck with it. It's like whatever I do, I'm gonna learn how it works, like primitively, then I could build it out how I want, so I don't have a fear of missing moments or you know, oh you know died is on stage and he got died in friends and it's like, you know, it was enough people talking to me to make me feel confused, like that's I was supposed to see you there. And I'm like, because I'm going to do a concert in August, I will see you here. And I'm not opening up for Kendrick. Yeah, it may not be twenty thousand people that night, it only might be two hundred. But my food is going to be really good, drinks are gonna be great, feel me, And I got my live then, okay, so invite it sure? And social media, I follow you in real life.
Speaker 6: I follow you guys in real life.
Speaker 1: So August twenty seventh, you know what I'm saying, I'm gonna do it that it's really dope spot and it's gonna be really special.
Speaker 3: Why are you trying to see now? Hold on, you're trying to get into my light?
Speaker 1: Now, that's what what would I do?
Speaker 7: Because you're fucking up my birthday where you can on the twenty ninth, and you know I sell birthday, but I promoted like it's an event for others to celebrate, and they're gonna blow all their money on the twenty seventh of your event, and no one's gonna celebrate my event because you're.
Speaker 3: Still on my light everybody up all year.
Speaker 1: Well, think about it, right, you come to LA for Sunday and then you can go back to Miami for Tuesday.
Speaker 3: It's gonna have to have to call My Birthday's gonna be called the do over party.
Speaker 1: First of all, it's a Tuesday, nigga.
Speaker 6: Your ship wasn't going up on Tuesday.
Speaker 5: It's going Tuesday, Pete, that's.
Speaker 3: Not down here. I'm not not down here. It's gonna be.
Speaker 6: You have to come down.
Speaker 1: So yeah, I'm gonna do it August twenty seventh for the live band. It's gonna be fire front this man. So, but it's gonna be special.
Speaker 6: I might have that pop out.
Speaker 1: See instead, if it's twenty thousand people, he might pop out for my two hundred people, and it's better. So again, you if you focused on being dope like I'm not a good thirsty marketing person, it's not gonna work for me.
Speaker 7: Gee, do you get the impression like you were saying, like there are some artists that always are out everywhere seeing all the time. There's guys like that that I can kind of think of were like by the time I figured out who they were, I had seen him in a dozen videos or a bunch of shit. Those guys strike me as more about you know them, more for their luck than their sound. They're more of a walking image than they are like standalone.
Speaker 6: On the record.
Speaker 1: Honestly, that happened with the birth of kind of the boom of Instagram. I remember specifically about five artists. It was Lil Yachty. I knew who Little Yachty was. I knew what he looked like that Nigga's hair was purple.
Speaker 6: No, his hair was red.
Speaker 1: Nigga had red braids. He's black as shit. I mean I remember him. I knew who extends Tasion. He had like these kind of black like wicks with these blond tops, and he looked like a fucking character Cuzed from like one of those cartoons. The Cuz looked like an anime character because he was like then. And I remember I knew who fucking twenty one Savage was because he had a fucking some kind of like dreads with a sword in his fucking face, fucking sword tattoo in his face. I do remember no Uzi had all these weird pearcings and purple hair, right, So I remember these people based off of the boom and Instagram and branding and people talking shit about how they look. Kodak Black had the same wis. He looked crazy. He looked like a little fucking demon. He just looked crazy. So I remember these guys before I heard they songs. But also, like, if you just a regular looking, handsome nigga, bro, that is not really special. I mean, you gotta step yourself out there. If you're gonna work with pictures, you want to pop. Every one picture needs to be disturbing, like niggas shit. Actually, like niggas, pictures should stain your memories. Like the first time is Takashi right, you saw all that rainbow shit, like you remember it, that shit yet all them six nines to it. He went like thirsty, like he went he jumped in the well faced first, you know what I'm saying. It was like I'm thirsty as fuck. And he just stayed in that shit and kept just doing shit and all kind of crazy shit.
Speaker 6: And th Ouzi put that fucking weird jewel in his face.
Speaker 1: You know what I'm saying, Like, if you're going to go for the hey, I'm going to show up everywhere and be thirsty and get in front of every picture. Every picture you take, niggas should be like, who the fuck is that? But if you just some niggas standing right there, bro, you just look like the help.
Speaker 6: Yeah, you just look like the help.
Speaker 5: Help for real.
Speaker 6: If you like a regular guy, bro, you just look like the help. So I think.
Speaker 1: I think at the end of the day, it just didn't matter. It just didn't matter enough, you know what I mean. I think it mattered for Kendrick. I think that's the person. I think yg did a fantastic job. I think did a good job from his base. I think Problem did an amazing job. I think Tyler did well. I mean, but at the end of the day, them niggas like Tyler is fucking this. Niggas doing fifty thousand people at are fucking festival. You're lucky he was there, because really it's about you know, Kendrick and Tyler. You know, they do kind of the same numbers, Like that's thirty thousand short. If you go to one of that Nigga festivals.
Speaker 6: So it's.
Speaker 1: I think they did something really special for La, you know what I mean. I think they came together because like yg again, he did the form. He just did it, I mean, and Tyler is huge, so they didn't have to do that, but they recognized the moment was important and they said, you know what, if you want me to be a part of it in this capacity, this is what I'm gonna do for you. Well guess what, Glass, he said, Glass, I want you to be there. Man, it's important to me. He just say, Glass, I need you to rap the song that good. If you asked, I would have did it. He'd have said, Glasses, I need you to punch this nigga in the face. I'd have punched that nigga in the face to make his day special because he.
Speaker 6: Mean that much to me. So you know what I mean.
Speaker 1: He asked me to come. I came, you know, I mean, last minute. I showed up and fuck with him, you know what I mean, and watched him just do some amazing. I left before traffic left, so I won. I did with the homie, you know what I'm saying. I got down for the homy because he asked me. I pulled up, ran into some fans, you know, signed smart Grad did an on live radio air interview live so ship, hey, I did, I paid my I did my you know, my due diligence for cuz.
Speaker 6: So we're good.
Speaker 5: All right, answer your question?
Speaker 1: He said, no, dude said who the fuck is? He was like, who the fuck is that quick got this new album with these I know how cuts too, because I remember when he called me. He was talking so I could imagine his his whole shit was like who is this nigga?
Speaker 6: I was like, oh, yeah, he got this album with these random niggas.
Speaker 5: That's what he said. He was like these brand I was like, what's their names? Like somebody named Jay Jason Martin.
Speaker 6: He's like, yo, what's funny? Is probably for real? Where I was watching the show at like, I heard people saying, and who's Jake?
Speaker 1: This guy is good?
Speaker 6: I'm like, I know this song?
Speaker 5: He was like, is that is that's his name? I was like, yeah, that's his name. He's like, oh what else? You know his name? I'm like, that's problem, Like, you know, so that is interesting.
Speaker 1: I remember when he first told me he was going to do that. I was like that's a big endeavor, dog, you know what I mean. Like changing your name is some ship times you.
Speaker 7: Gotta go from pretty boy Floyd to money Mayweather. I mean sometimes, but you gotta have a whole.
Speaker 6: See to me, like.
Speaker 1: If he was going, if Problem was gonna change his name to Jason Martin, he should have been more like studious. Jason Martin sounds like a studious person, like a nigga that got glasses.
Speaker 4: On, you know.
Speaker 3: Jason Martin sounds like he and Rumble need to change names.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I could go for that.
Speaker 1: Jason Martin definitely sounds like he used very big words and raps.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and all the consonants you need consonants, Jason Martin.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 1: But the thing is it is like now you still look like Problem with these fucking gloves. You still look like you know, you should have been more studious. He should have had like a polo. You should have had like, yeah, if you're gonna do it, Yeah, if you're gonna do it.
Speaker 5: I did that before. Yeah, I missed him, but I did. There is a record that I a song that I do like on the new album. It's feature in the game too. I haven't heard it yet, but I haven't seen him, so I don't know he's still looking like Problem.
Speaker 6: He definitely still look like definitely still look like Problem.
Speaker 5: That's why I know you want something that I turned around Jason Problem.
Speaker 1: It was crazy as his show was fired because that Jason Martin guy is crazy fucking Jason.
Speaker 6: Whoever that guy is, He's going places right.
Speaker 3: He's doing more with those own Problem tracks. The Problem could have her dreamed.
Speaker 1: And I know he went up there purposely and told him like, do not put Problem, because I know every promoter including that was like, bro, just put no Jason Martin and it was up there and he just looked like a nigga, just up there with this dope ass song and his tremendous stage presence, that Jason Martin guy.
Speaker 6: I heard people saying that, Like when I was walking by, I was like.
Speaker 1: What the fucking.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I'm gonna have to go and check out r j's performance was fired.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah. RJ came out with a lot of energy.
Speaker 6: He came on right, He came on right before.
Speaker 1: He came out right before Problem, right, Ruccie came out, Rouccie and Chey I came.
Speaker 5: I started watching it right after. I think I caught Ucci and the method.
Speaker 2: I didn't catch, and I didn't catch.
Speaker 1: Becuzos came out second, which I don't know. Why did the Couzins come out after Ramble? Oh okay, I don't even know Brmble has touchable. This is a huge But the Couzins was dope, Like it was dope watching him do that, you know what I'm saying. I was really amazed at how they thought, you know, it was dope to watch a female girl group.
Speaker 5: Okay, it was kind of dope them out because from l A.
Speaker 6: They gotta be named because like they like the Street.
Speaker 1: They like the street version of y'all. That y'all name is Hella, like regular and proper. The Cousins, they like, y'all could do a podcast one episode the Cousins versus THEUS.
Speaker 3: Their problem, your Jason Martin.
Speaker 5: And then you have Jason Martin there, Jason Martin. We gotta talk to problem Jason Martin. Jason Martin, Jason, Mister Martin. Definitely got mister Martin. I've been really good about calling him Jason Martin. You know, Jason Martin.
Speaker 4: That was my first time, so I'm still you know, I didn't know that Jason. Then he turned a problem.
Speaker 3: I had to get you to what he needs to start saying pardon mm hm, say that again, being like why he needs to be like pardon.
Speaker 1: For sure, if you change your name to sudden, if you're gonna go by your real name and so a nigga name is so studious, it's like pocket particular.
Speaker 5: Maybe that's what you know, because that's you said that song.
Speaker 1: You wearing these fucking leather girls with no fingers like you're finish, get a fucking fight, and that's not fitting the brand of Jason.
Speaker 6: That's problems.
Speaker 1: We need you to get more studious. You need to get like you need to be the captain of the rotee. No, Jason Martin doesn't sound like Cardigan sweaters. It does like, yeah, he got a point the sweater I leave crew. Jason Martin sounds like for sure, a nigga that got in trouble with the police, that tried to put some glasses on and think he's gonna beat the case just because he looks smith.
Speaker 7: Yea, his The next Jason Martin album needs to be called it Don't Violate, Don't violate.
Speaker 1: Yeah, hell pe named hella studious. It's like if I changed my name to Charles Pennaman, I couldn't be this version like I would have to be studious. I have to come with dockers, boat shoes, flast shirt.
Speaker 6: Yeah, stop musing. I have to be like Drake, like the real Drake like you might.
Speaker 1: With that man.
Speaker 3: You almost need a check book and yama. Yeah exactly, we're here to do.
Speaker 6: Right here. I'm paying you guys in check. No, it's not that it's not hella studious.
Speaker 2: It is it is.
Speaker 1: Philip Ivory Penniment. That's hella studious. If I was a rapper, like for sure, couldn't you slang like and my name was Charles, Like, I shouldn't you slang?
Speaker 6: I should only drive like.
Speaker 1: Like civicss.
Speaker 3: You need to drive a car whatever cars.
Speaker 1: Imagine a rapper like with a Prius and he just shows up with his safety and vovo. He don't hop out, he don't pop out, he steps outside of the car and delivers his verse.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 5: No, doing something different, pushing it on the ground.
Speaker 3: No, you need to have a chain where instead of it looking like like the old like the Bend's logo. Us to have an ABS with the airbag and for safety.
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, for sure, for sure. You know what would be tight if Problem played chess against Jason Martin in a video he made a little thing like he's talking to himself. But he can't be this version of Jason Martin where he looks like Problem, Like he has to be more of a studious Jason Morten.
Speaker 5: Like it's talking like when she went to talking to herself and.
Speaker 6: The Yeah, but that didn't make it.
Speaker 1: She's nine, Yes, make it.
Speaker 2: She says she got risk before she's talking to herself.
Speaker 1: You know what I mean, she's the same that you're nine. This is like two years ago. It's like two years ago. You couldn't like talking to your own self. Is not talking to yourself twenty six months ago?
Speaker 6: Oh, this was the other day. You just left rally You just quit rallies twenty.
Speaker 1: Six months ago.
Speaker 2: For six months ago.
Speaker 1: Like you're talking to your old self. Nigga, that was the other day. You still you still got unemployment from that job. Wasn't saying that? No, I'm said she can go. She's still within the window right now. Gloria could still go in the window and file for unemployment.
Speaker 2: Thig it's been that that glow.
Speaker 1: It's probably my female my favorite female rap artist today. I know her ship. I can feel what her ship is on. Gloria is just now on some ship. Her ship hopped off real fast. She was rapping. But if you look at her, it look like the same glow. She just put a couple more tattoos on it.
Speaker 6: Glory.
Speaker 1: She got her her eyelashes and stuff now like the permanent.
Speaker 5: No it's not permanent, but I'm just saying her look permanent. No, they're not permanent.
Speaker 9: Man.
Speaker 2: She probably, I mean she got money. So they come in here and name. If they start to come off, they're don't go ahead and fill them up.
Speaker 6: Glow.
Speaker 1: Glow is one of my favorite Glow is my favorite female artists today. You just say that, but Gloria is very Gloria.
Speaker 6: Definitely sounds studious.
Speaker 2: Gloria.
Speaker 1: Yeah, she sounds like she's supposed to be, like a Bible thumper pushing the Bible. The Lord says, anybody named Gloria should not be evil innately. If you're evil Glorian, you should actually go to prison wom because you know Gloria as an evil name is I don't know, I know what Gloria.
Speaker 5: I think she's she's not.
Speaker 6: Yeah, no, no, no, wow.
Speaker 7: The most miserable piece of human being that I've ever encountered in my life is named Gloria.
Speaker 5: Oh wait, I do know it.
Speaker 4: Well.
Speaker 1: I don't know her about evil Glorious.
Speaker 2: She was very evil.
Speaker 3: Oh I got I got one for.
Speaker 1: Evil. Gloria is definitely are I don't.
Speaker 6: Know, horrible.
Speaker 2: Maybe I don't know my best friend's ex girlfriend. When I put.
Speaker 1: Gloria for Gloria right out to that Gloria cut out to evil Gloria.
Speaker 5: I used to be like, you're back with Satan. Like, man, I'm like, you need to move man.
Speaker 4: She she was doing all kind of stuff when this stuff out in the rain and all kind of crap on the police ow them and stuff.
Speaker 2: I was like, I gotta leave her.
Speaker 1: She's crazy.
Speaker 6: Tell us the story about your Gloria, Pete. That's not the good. But her name is not Glory, is it.
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 6: No, no, this one's way worse.
Speaker 7: This is the lady, my grandpa's new wife that we've gotten all the litigation for the past ten years.
Speaker 3: Over and be able to see him.
Speaker 1: A white Glory is crazy. Yeah, oh wow, I didn't know it was.
Speaker 6: No white people named Gloria.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Hispanish.
Speaker 1: It's like I know more Spanish people. I think no white people named Gloria, Like, I don't know no white people name like there's a couple of white names. I've never seen a white person named Darneil.
Speaker 3: No, that's true, that's true.
Speaker 6: I never seen a white person named No.
Speaker 1: No, not that far.
Speaker 6: I never made a white person named do Wanna.
Speaker 5: That's going far.
Speaker 6: I just started eating.
Speaker 5: White Keisha's white Whisha.
Speaker 6: I never seen one myself.
Speaker 1: Actually, she pronounces her name Kesha, right, that white lady.
Speaker 5: Gosh.
Speaker 3: I know someone who had a name like that when I was.
Speaker 6: You know, a white Lakeisha.
Speaker 7: No, No, Lakeisha is the other bitch that you thought. I was gonna describe what I said, Gloria, Gloria.
Speaker 3: There was a girl who I went to high school with or something had a name that was like like the like like narrowly on one avowel.
Speaker 6: It was like that. It was.
Speaker 3: It was something like Kesher or something like that.
Speaker 6: I don't know a white I don't know a white the white, Yes, I think I do know one white. The white hold on the.
Speaker 1: White is like certain names be like globally black names, and you know that you know you got the names that crossover. Oh yeah, Dwight Stone, Yeah Stone, Yeah. I know a white person named Elijah because that's a Bible name, So you know white people got the name.
Speaker 3: Is that actor's not Elijah Woods or something like that.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, he's a popular actor too. I like him, mhm, but I don't know know white Keisha's mm hm. They for sure like we ain't pronounced that ship like them. Niggas like them.
Speaker 6: Cool.
Speaker 1: Catcha good looking out for tuning in to the No Sellers podcast. Please do us a favorite, subscribe, rate commentist Share. This episode was recorded right here on the West coast of the USA and produced about the Black Effect Podcast Network and Notheart Radio. Yeah.