Speaker 1: I Am All in again.
Speaker 2: Oh that's just you.
Speaker 3: I Am All in Town Meeting with Suzanne French and Tara suit An.
Speaker 2: iHeartRadio podcast. Hi guys, and welcome back to another episode of I Am All in Town Meeting. Welcome Suzanne this. I feel like these episodes are coming faster, like the Deer episode did not. I didn't think it was episode four. Yeah, I know, I know.
Speaker 3: It already feels like we're flying through.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I know. So we're gonna be talking about season one, episode four, the Deer Hunters, which premiered on October twenty six, two thousand. We were just talking real quick before we started recording. I was like, I don't really have many notes for us, but my one note, which now is just gonna bug me. I'm gonna keep bringing it up.
Speaker 3: Rory's backpacks, Yes, there were many in this episode.
Speaker 2: What was the point like that one scene. I actually didn't remember that scene where she keeps going to the bus and taking more out. I'm like, when did she When did she bring that many bags in for what?
Speaker 3: I you know, I don't know, because when you saw her in the classroom, she didn't have all those bags like she took.
Speaker 2: Them all off the bus.
Speaker 3: But then I don't know what she did with them because all that wasn't going to fit in her locker. But I think it was just to kind of show how she's been set academic. Yeah, you know, the workload is so high that she needs thirty five backpacks to carry it.
Speaker 2: But the yellow one was in there if you notice it.
Speaker 3: The yellow one was in there. Yeah, but that other one, I keep looking for it. It's not coming back.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was. Yeah. I really liked this episode though. I mean, I I know we've talked about the Warner Brothers tour before, but right when you start the tour, you go down that dirt path where the deer hits her, right, and it's and it's one of like the pop culture questions of the tour, and they're like, do you know like in the Kilmore Girls that I'm like the deer, I like, it didn't she didn't hit the deer, And I'm like, I know the deer hit her, so remind me of that. But then I was wondering, like what what off roading is she doing to get to Chiltern, right, Like.
Speaker 3: Why would she be driving down a dirt path? And did you also notice that the stop sign was facing the wrong way.
Speaker 2: Yes, it was facing the camera, but I think but then it makes me think, are stop signs double sided?
Speaker 3: No, they shouldn't be, because it would be on your right as you're driving. So if it was double sided, then it would be on if you're on the other side of the street, it would be on your left. Like just it wouldn't need to be double sided.
Speaker 2: I guess. But in that moment, I actually I thought about it. I'm like, now I need to look at a stop signs.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so that was a little weird. That's the same general area where they filmed the Luke pushing Jest into the lake.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's like around the corner from it, right right.
Speaker 3: And I also actually saw it on Young Sheldon this morning.
Speaker 2: Oh funny. There's also from what I remember, I think in that area, there's also a cabin like building.
Speaker 3: Yes there is.
Speaker 2: I just don't know if Gilmour girls used it.
Speaker 3: I don't think they did. I actually was poking around the Warner Brothers website last night because I was trying to identify where on the lot that was because I couldn't like remember it. And there is a building that's got like a little wrap around patio. I don't think they ever used it in Gilmore though. I don't think we ever actually saw that angle. They just you know, turn the cameras so we don't see that building, yeah, because it's like right on the edge of where the water would go.
Speaker 2: Got it. Well. The other note I had was Dosie's Market was just school supplies. There was no grocery, was it. There were no groceries.
Speaker 3: So I watched this scene a couple of times because I was trying to identify what they used for that, and it wasn't Doss It wasn't. It was actually because the building in the background I recognized as being.
Speaker 2: Where So.
Speaker 3: The building in the background was the back of Stars Hollow High, so it's it's where they.
Speaker 2: Was, right.
Speaker 3: So the building where the school supplies were was across the street from that, and that was the it's next door to Ms. Patty's. There's like a brick building. They didn't use it in the show very often, but that's also where they set up I think they put the news stand there, like on the outside of that building. But if you watched La La Land, that was the cafe in the beginning where she worked.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well also in I were only four episodes in clearly I don't remember. We haven't really established doces yet, have we. My first memory of ZOS is like the corn starch and the kiss.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean miss Patty talked about getting being a job there, but I don't know if we've actually had any scenes inside it yet.
Speaker 2: So maybe they were trying to figure it out. They were trying to figure out what's what's where, what's what?
Speaker 3: Right, So I think this was meant to be like a like an office supply store or like a separate, a different store than the which.
Speaker 2: There was a box. I literally said office depot on it. Were we just taking items from a different store and showing it.
Speaker 3: Here office depot the Star's hollow version. One thing I noticed there was no Emily and Richard in this episode. I think that's the first one they had. They weren't in so.
Speaker 2: It was over a week.
Speaker 3: It was over a week because there was the parent meeting and they were talking about the test coming on Friday and so.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so we didn't make it a fight night dinner. So yeah, during the week, right, But.
Speaker 3: This was our first MAX episode, so that was significant.
Speaker 2: Which I also laughed that she showed up because okay, in high school you have like what six classes six, Yeah, you have six different meetings you have to attend. She showed up for four minutes one right, and then left again.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that did seem a little a little weird. And then also when they were talking about the AP test and he's like, oh, the next one is next month, I'm like, no, that's not how the AP test works. It's at the end of the school year.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the point of the AP.
Speaker 3: Test is to test what you learned during that year. They don't have it in the fall.
Speaker 2: That's what confused me because he said he said next month and then he said Saturday, and I'm like, I don't think I mean maybe from like what April, May, June. There's probably like there's probably like three at the end of the year, right, Like there's like a couple.
Speaker 3: It's usually just once. So they have like a testing period. It's over a two week period, and then each depending on what test you're taking, is offered at a specific time. I'm like, chemist is going to be Monday at eight am or whatever. So, Yeah, the one thing I noticed was he was talking about the AP test being the next month, which.
Speaker 2: That's not how they do it.
Speaker 3: The ap test to the end, right, it's like testing your knowledge that you gained during the whole course. So they don't have it in the fall. But you would think children would know that.
Speaker 2: But whatever, children just love their tests, that's for sure. I know. Let's see what.
Speaker 3: Oh did you notice Paris called So we have Madeline and Luke Louiz, but Paris call her Madeline.
Speaker 2: In this episode, which she did.
Speaker 3: They sounded weird to my ear, which I'm like, wait, is her name? They don't call her Madeline any other time. I don't think.
Speaker 2: No, unless she was like joking about it, but I don't think so.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't. It didn't seem like it. But just one of those little, you know, things they're trying to figure out in the beginning. They don't know how they're gonna how they're going to keep going with it.
Speaker 2: Refer to her once those.
Speaker 3: Yeah, okay, the green sweater. There's a couple of things in this episode that I noticed that we're gonna see later. So I'm going to point them out now and then i'll when we get to those other episodes, I'll point it out then to just in case someone missed this episode, but the green sweater that Rory was wearing when she was at the table when she was studying, there was a green sweater within it was like white around the collar and it had like a little bit of wet on it when she was at the kitchen table studying, and then all that comes in and she's like, let's go get ice cream. Oh in the beginning, right, the sweater that Rory was wearing, We're going to see that again in episode eight, and Lane's wearing it. Oh funny, so, which I thought was kind of cute because you know, I don't think they intend. Maybe they intentionally did that, but it's kind of high schooly, like you share your clothes with your friends, you know, So I don't know if they meant it to be like that.
Speaker 2: Complained Why was she just chilling in her closet and not going to school that morning?
Speaker 3: You know, I wondered the same thing. I'm like, I don't at seven thirty in the morning, like we never were running around getting ready and we were going to school, Like we weren't just like hanging.
Speaker 2: Out way too comfortable in that closet, like just listening to music or whatever.
Speaker 3: She was doing, Like what time did she wake up to do that?
Speaker 2: But no, it didn't make sense because she told Rory the time on the phone. Yeah it was seven.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean she has live across the street from Starts Hall High. She could walk over at seven fifty eight if she really wanted to. Still, but still, I don't know.
Speaker 3: My son gets up like four minutes before he has to walk out the door.
Speaker 2: So I mean, yeah, I did the same thing, so I didn't have time to sit it. That's fir.
Speaker 3: When I was in high school, we were already in first period at seven thirty in the morning.
Speaker 2: So my first class in high school was you could do an or like a zero period at six thirty, which I used to do because I could get out early.
Speaker 3: Or he started at seven fifty yeah, or our first period started at seven thirty. But now in California they don't do that. There's like, oh really, Yeah, there's a law about when school has to start because somebody said teenagers need more sleep or something, so they can't start school earlier than.
Speaker 2: WHOA, I didn't know that. Yeah, I was up and that maybe that's why I like my mornings. Yeah, I like to get things done in the morning, because.
Speaker 3: I too, I'm a morning person.
Speaker 2: Come three o'clock, I need a nap.
Speaker 3: I know exactly, I'm not as productive in the afternoon. Let's see what else did I have?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 3: Okay, so the waiter, the waiter that had the goateee.
Speaker 2: Uhuh.
Speaker 3: He's going to show up later as a doctor next season. Okay, he's the doctor in the emergency room after ro of the accident. Oh, so we will see him again.
Speaker 2: Huh.
Speaker 3: Maybe he was a waiter in medical school in this season.
Speaker 2: It was a side gig. I did like the line where he was like can I can you fire me now? And realize like absolutely that was funny. Yeah, that was funny. He was There was some there was some good little lines in here, like like what's up Quippi? And then what did el Ducey?
Speaker 3: Like?
Speaker 2: Those were so like those are just like so memorable too.
Speaker 3: Yeah, let's see what else I had?
Speaker 2: Something else?
Speaker 3: Oh? I wanted to give them credit because when they showed Rory driving the car that there was a shot from inside the car and the clock on the dashboard said seven thirty nine. So I want to give props to the person that was in charge of that detail and made the clock in the car match the time that it was supposed.
Speaker 2: To be in the scene.
Speaker 3: That never happens, I know, I wanted to give credit to whoever that person was.
Speaker 2: I like that detail. I usually I usually liked to I didn't look at that. I usually when they show a scene like that, I like to look out the windows, Yeah, to see if it actually matches where they are, which it did. That's another Yeah.
Speaker 3: Sometimes you see like the same building going by in the background circles.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I did also want to call out just I'm just kind of going in the order of my notes here. The some of the clothes that Laula I was wearing. I really liked that teal headband, yeah, I know, studying scene like that looked really good on her. It was wide, like it just was a cute style.
Speaker 2: I wasn't a fan of the blue shirt with a teal shirt with it though.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that was Yeah, it was a little.
Speaker 2: Too much, but there was a little head band. It was cute.
Speaker 3: But then later in the episode she had that pencil skirt that was like I couldn't tell if it was purple or it was gray, like it kind of depended on the light.
Speaker 2: But it was like a leather yeah, and then she.
Speaker 3: Had purple shoes with it. I am a huge fan of purple, so everyone will be getting used to that.
Speaker 2: And for people who it see right now, Suzanne's wearing a purple shirt.
Speaker 3: Literally, I wear a purple shirt by a couch behind me? Is purple? A purple mini? I am a big fan of purple, and so those purple shoes she was wearing with the skirt, I just thought it was a super cute outfit.
Speaker 2: The skirt, yeah, and also the I think it was like a it was like a different shade of purple because then the blouse was purple as well, so it kind of works.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, because the blouse was like a more lavendery kind of color and then the skirt was darker.
Speaker 2: Yeah. It was very cute.
Speaker 3: It was really cute. And one question I did have, So lorele I tells Rory to take the car to Chilton, and then Lorelei shows up there later yep.
Speaker 2: But then they both leave.
Speaker 3: In Laurelized car, like they're both in the same car going home. So how how did Laurai get to children? I thought at first maybe she just borrowed Suki's car because we saw later Suki was driving the Dragonfly van because we see it at the food critics house, right. I thought, Oh, she must have borrowed Suki's car to drive over to Chilton.
Speaker 2: Which, like, do we ever see that van again? Like, where'd that van come from?
Speaker 3: Yeah? I guess they just had it.
Speaker 2: I don't know, Yeah, I mean unless she took a taxi as an emergengency. Yeah, maybe there was no uber back then.
Speaker 3: Yeah that's a long Is that a long taxi ride though? Isn't it like thirty minutes or something like that? I mean maybe she had to get there somehow. So I just thought that was interesting because they both leave in the same car.
Speaker 2: So yeah, yeah, that was a good point. I didn't I didn't think of them leaving together. I more thought of she didn't have a car, howd she get there? I didn't think of the after map of it. Yeah, and I did like the ends where Max called and left a voicemail, which probably wouldn't ever happen, but in Gilmour world, it's okay.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I feel like that would have been something like that he would have talked about when she came to the class the next day, like you know, oh, I talked to the principal. Blah blah blah. I didn't think that would have warranted a call home.
Speaker 2: But I don't know.
Speaker 3: You know, I didn't go to private school. Maybe that's there. I'm a public school girl.
Speaker 2: So you meet your students. Mom, Wait, going back real quick, did all the parents seem older? I thought the same thing, and I didn't I didn't want to be like, I don't want I don't know if I should say that, but like everyone was like in business suits and then like just seems a little older than they did. I can.
Speaker 3: I don't mind saying it because I'm that age group, but I mean, I know Loralai's supposed to be younger because she began yeah or whatever. But it did seem like there was a there was a big age gap. I thought between I don't know, I'm thinking about like my age group and when I I mean, I still am a high school parent. My youngest is a senior. The I mean the people are most parents. I mean, this is a complete over generalization, but I think most high school parents are like in their forties, and these people seemed more like college age kids.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, it just it threw me off. And maybe and maybe it was the way they were dressed with it. Yeah, is everyone a lawyer, right?
Speaker 3: I think that was part of the whole, like snooty private school. I think that's what they were trying to chah. I guess so, but yeah, they it did seem then I don't blame Max.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Max is like, well there's someone I could talk to.
Speaker 3: Yeah, let's see what. Oh I wanted to call it the clown pillow? Did you see it?
Speaker 2: I did not. It was on the stairs with all the crap on the stairs. Yeah, okay, I noticed more of the boxes of fried chicken and stuff, and I.
Speaker 3: There was the fake KFC box. They just got fried chicken on it.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 3: And then it was like behind it was leaning against the wall, like the wall was here, and then the railing was here. So it was like on the landing of the stairs. So it was in a couple a couple different scenes we saw.
Speaker 2: Did they always have a fireplace? I think so. I just don't know if I've ever seen it on Yeah.
Speaker 3: I don't know if they ever had it lit, but I think they because in the pilot, I remember when they showed all the pictures on the mantle and they showed that picture of Lorelai as a as a little kid standing in front of Richard Emley's house and then oh okay, they cut to that scene of her standing outside their house. So there was always a mantle there.
Speaker 2: I know there was a fire yeah, and also the way that like there was this one shot that it was when they were studying and Lorelai's on the couch and the camera angles from her back and then Rory's on a chair and I'm like, what is this setup like, because when we when we go through the season, isn't there a TV up there?
Speaker 3: Eventually there is a TV to the right of the fireplace. I don't know that it was there this early.
Speaker 2: Because I just remember when Dean comes over and they start watching, like you know, Wizard of are no tracks was Revolves Charlie a chocolate factory one of the two?
Speaker 3: Yeah it was it was Willy Wonka. Yeah, that was where the song came from.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, but yeah, it was like where's the TV? And what is this angle? And what is that chair?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm trying to remember, because there was there is a chair over there, like in the corner of the stairs.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they just probably moved it up for like, yeah, well, and and the house was such a mess for them studying, so.
Speaker 3: Like everything was kind of everywhere.
Speaker 2: Someone's gonna comment being like it was always there. I know, I know, but that's good.
Speaker 3: We've got people to keep us honest. So there's still the piano in the background. That wall, Yep, it's still closed off. I think maybe it's probably like another episode or two is when they like changed that and made it open. But yeah, I mean this, this was this was pretty good episode. The whole deer thing was stressful to me. When she's like running around, I'm like, get in the car and go to your test panthers.
Speaker 2: And also at the end, what why are you trying to find a deer in the woods? Right?
Speaker 3: Like that whole thing never quite made sense to me, But if you.
Speaker 2: Need it to, like, I feel like they should have been like and I guess I understand. It's like the quirkiness of you know, Gilmore girls and all that, But I'm like, you think you're gonna find the exact deer that hit your car? Like what are the evidence?
Speaker 3: Like do you think it's just gonna be sitting there like waiting.
Speaker 2: For you to come back after how long like seven hours.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was kind of an interesting setup, Like, I know, they needed to have a way to have Lorelei and have the conversation about you know, was Harvard Rory's dream or was it larealized dream? Like they had to set that up somehow. But it was kind of a weird way to do it. I don't know, but it was. I mean, it added some comic value, I guess.
Speaker 2: But it was a great episode.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it It was a good episode for sure.
Speaker 2: So the next episode will be season one episode five, Cinnamons Wake.
Speaker 3: Oh this is a good one.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I feel like we're gonna say that about every single episode in the next in the first three seasons at least.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's a good town episode.
Speaker 2: I like it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, moving forward to that.
Speaker 2: All right, Well, thanks guys for listening, and we'll see you next week.
Speaker 1: Thanks everyone, Bye.
Speaker 2: Hey everybody, and altoget.
Speaker 3: Follow us on Instagram at I Am all In podcast and email us at Gilmore at iHeartRadio dot com.