Speaker 1: It's practically an instruction video on how to not get out of a lie. It's one more thing. I'm strong Andy.
Speaker 2: One more thing.
Speaker 1: I found Tim Walls trying to explain away his big lie about being in China. One of the funniest things I've ever heard. And so we're going to play that again for you here in a little bit.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we're all talking about how soon it will be irrelevant, but we wanted to hear it one more time.
Speaker 1: It's just so good. But Katie, you have something first.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: So this was a conversation I was having with someone the other day. I don't know what my problem is, and I found out that it's more common than I thought. But somebody can introduce themselves to me and within seconds, I do not know what their name is, right anymore sure? And so I went to go to the interwebs to see what the science.
Speaker 3: Is behind this.
Speaker 4: And when I went to when I went to type, why do I forget people's names? Quickly popped up as like the first predictive text thing. And one of the reasons was because our brain is scrambling to retrieve words quickly enough to keep up pace with a conversation with someone new.
Speaker 1: But clearly only for some of us, because we all know people who pick up names immediately and hang on to them, right, which is which I'm always kind of shocked by. Like if I meet somebody and then pretty soon they hit me with that. So I don't know, Jack, what are you thinking? I think, Wow, how do you remember my name?
Speaker 2: You know, we've all heard the tricks. Repeat it three times to yourself, or come up with a rhyme. Wait, there's Jack. He won't attack me remember his name. But I know it's that I am reckoning with a brand new person, trying to figure out what sort of person they are. You know, how's this going to go?
Speaker 1: The rest of it? It's just for me. It's just selfishness. And I decided years ago it's because I'm getting older. I just go with a I don't remember your name because I don't care. Oh see, I used Drew as such a pawn. My husband is such a pawn.
Speaker 4: I'll go up to somebody who I know they just told me their name, and I'll be like, oh, this is my husband, Drew, So I'll go hi, I'm.
Speaker 1: And I'm like, it's a good one. Yeah, I just go with that. Until you can convince me you're important enough for me to remember. I'm just not going to commit this to the limited space I have.
Speaker 2: Again, I like your style, you have not earned your way into my consciousness yet, given I.
Speaker 1: Know, it's such a bad feeling, especially in certain circumstances, it's extra awful. You know when when you like have a lead in that you know it's going to be somebody you want to remember their name for a long time. Yeah, like this is the new sales manager or something like that. Okay, we're going to be working together for a long time. Obviously you have a big, good idea for me to remember your name, but it's gone in a second.
Speaker 3: Yes, just one.
Speaker 2: I've used that strategy many times with my wife, who's much better remembering names than I am. But you always run into that person you say, oh, yeah, this is my wife, Judy, and they say hi Judy, right, and either they just don't think to introduce themselves, or they think you're going to ladies and gentlemen. We're not beasts, all right, We're human beings. If somebody introduces themselves to you, or introduces someone else to you, you state your damn name.
Speaker 1: Okay, I walk up that hard walk. Hey, Yes, I walk home to the guy's wife and I say, if you were to scream out your husband's name during sex, what would you say?
Speaker 3: Oh, well, I'm sure that goes well.
Speaker 2: Jim, Jim, it's Jim, because while I've decided he does not rate Jack remembering you do, baby, so talk to me. Yeah, you just I'm trying to learn at the feet of the great one.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, I remember a couple of times in my life where I've done this with attractive single women, and I've thought, you're not even gonna try to remember the name of somebody like this for a few minutes, you idiots a molva. Yeah, I had ended up being my wife for quite a few years. I remember thinking I had been quite interested in her for quite some time, and I had to wait until somebody said her name out loud in a different circumstance before I can.
Speaker 3: Remember what You just keep going up here and going hey, you exactly.
Speaker 1: You With dudes, you can say, what do you think of that? Bro? Man?
Speaker 2: Dude? Yeah, but all it's women, it's it's harder.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because you start calling us like sweetheart and stuff. That's creepy.
Speaker 2: You can't eat that, or even like, girl, what do you think girl, that'd just be weird.
Speaker 1: Lady, lady, lady. Human. So you probably know the story by now. Even if you've heard it, I think you'll find it entertaining again. The other night in the debate, Tim Walls got to asked about a problem that's been dogging him for a while. So he ran around for big chunk of his adult life, claiming he was there during the Cientman Square massacre in China in nineteen eighty nine, which is one of the biggest events in world history, certainly modern world history, and claiming you were there, and you there have therefore, I guess have some sort of wisdom insight because of having been there. Is that what he was trying to do?
Speaker 2: No, he's just a fabuloust. He has to enhance every story he tells.
Speaker 3: It's a great meme of the other tens.
Speaker 4: It it's a picture of Tim Walls and it said, so there I was on the bow of the Titanic.
Speaker 1: But he's been caught since then with a in a number of ways showing that he wasn't there at the time. He couldn't have been there at the time, And Margaret Brennan, to her credit in the debate the other night, brought it up, and his explanation is the worst trying to explain a lie ever in the history of trying to explain a lie. I think surely you've heard.
Speaker 2: It by now, but whether you have or have not, it includes a number of bizarre and misplaced sentence fragments that don't flow from what he's just said, including are all time favorite about I'm proud of that service, which you'll hear. But there are a number of just weird odds and ends, as if he'd been programmed to spout certain censuses as sentences but it just didn't come out right. Is programming failed or the hardware glitched or something?
Speaker 4: Stop.
Speaker 1: I have more of that, but let's hear it. First.
Speaker 5: We want to ask you about your leadership qualities. Governor Walls. You said you were in Hong Kong during the deadly Tianamen Square protests in the spring of nineteen eighty nine, but Minnesota Public Radio and other media outlets are reporting that you actually didn't travel to Asia until August of that year. Can you explain that discrepancy your.
Speaker 6: Yeah, well, and to the folks out there, it didn't get at the top of this look. I grew up in small rural Nebraska town of four hundred town that you rode your bike with your buddies. Still the street lights come on, and I'm proud of that service. I joined the National Guard at seventeen, worked on family farms, and then I use the gibill to become a teacher, passionate about it, a young teacher. My first year out, I got the opportunity in the summer of eighty nine to travel to China thirty five years ago.
Speaker 1: Be able to do.
Speaker 6: That, I came back home and then started a program to take young people there. We would take basketball teams, we would take baseball teams, we would take dancers, and we would go back and forth to China. The issue for that was was to try and learn. Now, look, my community knows who I am. They saw where I was at. They look. I will be the first to tell you I have poured my heart into my community.
Speaker 3: I've tried to do the.
Speaker 6: Best I can, but I've not been perfect, and I'm a knucklehead at times. But it's always been about that. Those same people elected me to Congress.
Speaker 2: You almost have to divide that up into twelve to fifteen different snippets and analyze them separately. I mean, for instance, Michael play just the beginning again, what is the first sentence out of his mouth?
Speaker 1: Somebody tell me we.
Speaker 5: Want to ask you about your leader ship qualities. Governor Walls, you said you were in Hong Kong during the deadly Tieneman Square protests in the spring of nineteen eighty nine, but Minnesota Public Radio and other media outlets are reporting that you actually didn't travel to Asia until August of that. Here we go, can you explain that discrepancy.
Speaker 6: Your Yeah, well, and to the folks out there didn't get at the top of this.
Speaker 1: Look, I grew up in small Okay.
Speaker 2: Right there, So the folks out there that didn't get to the top of this, I mean, it begins with gibberish, right descends into flapdoodle, then fears into nonsense.
Speaker 1: Right after he gets through that whatever that first sentence was, he goes to, I grew up in a small Nebraska town.
Speaker 4: What he like adopted both a camel A tactic and a Biden tactic because he does that, oh that town and rode the bikes with the sun. And then he kept saying, look, look, because biden Ois does that.
Speaker 1: In that sentence, In case you didn't catch it, I look, I grew up in a small rural Nebraska town of town that you wrote your bike with your buddies till the street likes came on, and I'm proud of that.
Speaker 3: Thank you for your service, Tim.
Speaker 2: Right, and later, I mean again, there are at least a dozen things in there. But then at one point he says, I'll be the first to tell you I've poured my heart into my community. No, no, no, that's a brag.
Speaker 1: You shouldn't be the first to tell me. That's other people should tell me that.
Speaker 2: It just there were so many. It was like he'd memorized a bunch of phrases and just put them together.
Speaker 1: You're right, I will be the first to tell you I have poured my heart into my community. I have this written out. I'm just going to keep it the rest of my life. Carry it my wallet like the pictures of my kids when you need to pick me up. Oh my god. Oh. And then she asked a follow up too, and then I've got a comment on that. Here. Here's how the follow up went to and get to her credit for following.
Speaker 5: Up, Governor, just to follow up on that, the question was can you explain Thereancy.
Speaker 6: All I said on this was is I got there that and misspoke on this, So I will just that's what I've said. So I was in Hong Kong and China during the democracy protest went in and from that I learned a lot of what needed to be in governance.
Speaker 5: Oh thank you, Governor.
Speaker 1: That I always feel bad for him.
Speaker 2: If there's been a worse answer to a question in the history of presidential vice presidential debates, I would like to hear it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Mark Alpern on his podcast afterwards, him and his former Republican and Democratic strategist all agreed it was the worst answer in the history of the presidential debates.
Speaker 3: I worked at a bar.
Speaker 4: I feel like that's something I would have heard in there from somebody that was just overserved served.
Speaker 1: The follow up one there where he stops at one point and kind of hopes something will bail him out, like a band will start playing, or they'll move on to another question or something, and Marcus Press is what I've.
Speaker 2: Said, Are you saying it now though you're that's what we're doing here.
Speaker 1: We're saying things.
Speaker 2: That's what the debate is, say something, and that is what I've said.
Speaker 1: And then and then Margaret Brennon just looks at him like, you still have more time. And that didn't sound like the end or all right?
Speaker 2: In no way was that. No English speaker would think that was the end of his statement because it wasn't a statement at all that possible. Yeh, She's like, there's more right or something.
Speaker 1: So these strategists who've been involved in presidential debate prep before all were amazed that he didn't have a solid, like two lines ready to go on that topic since they knew it was coming, and he's been asked about it almost every time he sits down for an interview, he's asked about it. I wonder if CBS will follow up on it on sixty Minutes this Sunday night, But he's asked about over and over. So how have you not nailed down a couple of lines to get you out of that trap? Look, I got the got it wrong is a long time ago, and I just I got it wrong the end. You don't even really.
Speaker 2: Under saying I misremembered. Yeah, yeah, Well, hope you enjoyed the podcast. But for any of you folks who didn't get at the top of that. We'll try to do better tomorrow.
Speaker 1: And I rode my bike with my friends as a kid, and I'm proud of that service.
Speaker 2: Absolutely. I went to the public foold swam and rode home. I'm proud of that service.
Speaker 1: And I'll be the first to tell you I've done a lot for these people. And the street lights were on too. Yes, important important point. Well, Joe Jack Casey, have a good day.
Speaker 3: Well, I guess that's it.