Speaker 1: You are listening to the Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 2: It's our chew on this Friday to Meet Friday at that Dan and the Dan Nuts Dan Patrick Show from the Fountain Blue Hotel, and a great audience that has shown up again, best audience we've had all week long. I would think to night Todd, this is an audience, this is this is truly an day.
Speaker 3: They're excited to be here. That's what's supposed to be.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and they're excited to see you and hear you. A little bit later on Todd is going to regale you with the rhyme game.
Speaker 3: Rhyme time is bad time Now I'm type part due in last week. Yeah. People excited about this and it makes me happy. Yeah, it warms my heart.
Speaker 2: By the way, to Meet Friday and the Trigger girls fired up. The folks from Kings Hawaiian came in and we have them with good ranchers. So this is really a detailed menu here, but it's all with King Sawaian. We have the Red Rock Canyon Sunrise Slider, so that's eggs and hash in there. We have a Dungeoness crab cakes that were flown in from Seattle. The Crabs came in from Seattle, King Sawaian original slider buns. With that, we also have the chili rubbed prime Filet mignon and Texas brisket as well.
Speaker 3: Tonam not done with the menu.
Speaker 4: It took the crab seven months to get from said they have very slow moving the crabs.
Speaker 3: Was it worth it or was it was not worth interrupting it?
Speaker 2: More of that comedy gold later on in the program here, Thank you, Ton, all right, so coming up we'll talk to Lewis Riddick of the Mothership.
Speaker 3: He'll stop by Jordan Love.
Speaker 2: The Packers quarterback Lamar Jackson wins his second MVP. Congratulations to the newest members of the Hall of Fame and Julius Peppers. Devin Hester got in, Dwight Freeney, Patrick Willis, Andre Johnson got in. Their slow NBA trade deadline really not a lot of action. I thought the Knicks improved their team and once again Lebron using a leverage game here. I think it was trying to send those passive aggressive messages to the front office, like you better help me get on. The clock is ticking. They didn't do anything at the trade deadline. So eight seven seven three DP Show email address Dpatdanpatrick dot com, Twitter handle at DP show operator Tyler standing by when it comes to live sports on Peacock, no offseason stream, non stomp action, all year long, Big Ten Basketball, the Premier League, the PGA Tour, and this show. You can see the biggest games, biggest names, and then all the moments you can't miss and you can see that live on Peacock. We had a chance to talk to the former Heisman Trophy winner Baker Mayfield, playing for the Buccaneers led them to the playoffs. We talked to him yesterday after the show and here is how it went. He's the former number one overall pick back in twenty eighteen Heisman Trophy winner at Oklahoma. He's the Tampa Bay Buccaneers quarterback. He is Baker Mayfield who joins us on the Programboy, oh.
Speaker 3: You kind of scrolled under the set. You don't need headphones.
Speaker 5: There, you're loud enough.
Speaker 3: I don't want you to mess up your hair.
Speaker 5: Worked really hard on this.
Speaker 3: Thank you. Do you work on your hair before a game? No?
Speaker 2: You never did put product in your hair. See you look good in warm ups? No, even at Oklahoma.
Speaker 5: No, just the eye black and rub it on and go.
Speaker 3: All right, Yeah, you look good.
Speaker 5: I appreciate it.
Speaker 6: Uh.
Speaker 2: I mentioned your Tampa Bay Buccaneers quarterback. Is that how you are still to be introduced as the Buccaneers quarterback?
Speaker 5: That's to be determined.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we'll see who's determining that.
Speaker 5: I think the balls in their core right now.
Speaker 7: I mean it's I mean, I've been vocal about the mutual interest, uh, and that's I was very appreciative of the opportunity I had there and just how they run the organization, everything that they're all about, just how do we win?
Speaker 5: How do we put our guys in best pision possible to win?
Speaker 7: And I've been vocal about that, and that's going into free agency, my mindset would be the same thing, looking for something similar to that, and obviously seeing them firsthand, you know, I know how they operate.
Speaker 3: Why did it work so well?
Speaker 8: You know what?
Speaker 7: A lot of I don't know why everybody thought that Tampa wasn't gonna be very good because obviously, yeah, Tom is Tom great quarterback obviously, but a lot of pieces that were there for those deep playoff runs are still there, still intact, and so it's a great locker room.
Speaker 5: The culture is great. Those guys know how to win.
Speaker 7: They've been there before, and so, you know, we started out pretty good, then had a rough lull in the mid midyear, but guys stuck together. The guys didn't flinch. That they know how to react when adversity hits, and so they just handled it. We came together even closer and offensively. We just decided to iron up the little details, stop shooting ourselves in the foot, and go from there.
Speaker 2: Okay, but you're dealing with adversity and you dealt with that from you know, Cleveland and then a couple of stops and then you end up there. What happened from when you got to Cleveland to where you are right now? As far as like, well, can you sum it up to you know, not exactly like do you understand like why things happened?
Speaker 7: Oh, I mean, I'm a firm believer everything happens for a reason. But it's you know, it's for me. It was it was going back to the year I hurt my shoulder and it was all stemming from that, I think. But I mean, I'm happy with where I'm at in life, and uh, just finishing up with Tampa as well.
Speaker 6: How much is it maturing I don't want to say growing up, but understanding everything the business side of this, it.
Speaker 5: Was definitely a lot of understanding.
Speaker 7: Uh learned a lot throughout the years, all the ups and downs, trying to take away, you know, lessons throughout throughout the whole process. But yeah, but still finding a way to be myself through that all and not not trying to change your waiver for anybody else or mold into somebody I'm not and learning that's that's okay. That's why I got drafted the position I was to be the best version of myself.
Speaker 5: That's and that's what Tampa allowed me to do.
Speaker 7: And Coach Bole said that we just wanted you to be you and that's it, and so just don't don't fake it, be authentic and embrace that.
Speaker 2: But also with that position, it feels like what separates a lot of quarterbacks just confidence. Yeah, you got to get in the huddle, you gotta believe. They got to believe in you. I don't know if you're confidence If it, how could it not waiver from what happened to you know in between where you got to Tampa.
Speaker 5: I mean there were moments that did you doubt yourself a little bit.
Speaker 7: But I was more frustrated than anything, just frustrated, you know, with with some of the situations that I was in.
Speaker 5: And but then.
Speaker 7: After a lot of oc changed and all that, I realized, all right, control what you can, and that's the relationships in the locker room, busting my ass, you know, getting to know the guys, getting to the playbook and learning those people and realizing that at the end of the day, if I can, you know, hold my head up and be proud of how I handle those relationships and those people, that's gonna be okay. And so yeah, there was times that confidence was up and down, but I knew I just needed one chance in a good situation.
Speaker 3: It's nice to have Mike Evans.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, like that's a nice luxury to have. Now, you know what Johnny Manziel had at Texas A and m like all in those favors.
Speaker 3: Where's Mike. He's down there somewhere Hall of Famer.
Speaker 7: He's so good, he really is, and like you said, Chris Godwin as well, just so consistent. Both those guys. Obviously, Mike ten years in a row, over one thousand yards yeah, and I don't know what I mean. He turned thirty before the season and everybody thought, oh, he's gonna fall off. No, I think statistically had one of his top.
Speaker 5: Three years or so.
Speaker 3: But is she going to be back? I hope.
Speaker 5: So if I'm back, I hope.
Speaker 3: So are you sure and some of your money with him? If?
Speaker 5: Oh, I think there would be some sacrifice along.
Speaker 7: There's there's mutual benefits for us to come back together.
Speaker 3: Do you have incentive? Are you going to have an incentive laden contract?
Speaker 5: That's a good question from my agent.
Speaker 2: He's around here somewhere looking at these lights. But like making a Pro Bowl? Uh, you know, winning the division?
Speaker 7: I hope making a Pro Bowls not in there because I don't know how that system works.
Speaker 3: Doesn't everybody make the Pro Bowl?
Speaker 5: I mean I wasn't supposed to be there, and somehow I want MVP.
Speaker 3: What did you get for that?
Speaker 5: I have no idea.
Speaker 3: Did you get a trophy? I got a yeah, a.
Speaker 5: Small little trophy. It's nice. It's nice. I put it next to the Nickelodeon Trophy.
Speaker 2: Okay, but not next to the Heisman Trophy. No, No, where's the Heisman Trophy?
Speaker 5: Why do you want to know.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 7: No, it's it's it's at our off season house. So it's it's sitting locked up.
Speaker 3: Okay, so it's not when I walk in.
Speaker 2: No, I don't, gosh, do you have anything that would signify what you do for a living if I walk into your.
Speaker 5: House be sides pictures?
Speaker 2: No, But like your jersey's not there as soon as I walk in. Oh no, okay, like your bedroom there's no jersey there.
Speaker 3: Your bedroom.
Speaker 7: No, the off season's house it is for relaxing, not you know, looking at football every single day.
Speaker 3: But the regular season house you might have that stuff to look at.
Speaker 5: It was like, you know, there's a massage table, some workout equipment. You might see that.
Speaker 8: All right.
Speaker 5: We live a somewhat of an athletic fitness.
Speaker 2: Style of Okay, all right, how many jerseys do you have? Are you a jersey swapper?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 7: Gosh, I've swaps quite a few. I probably have about twenty.
Speaker 3: Who would did anybody say? No?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 7: I get too nervous. Most of the time. I wait until it's like somebody I know a little bit.
Speaker 3: You don't send the equipment guy over. Rejection is one of my bigger fears.
Speaker 2: That would be humbling, Like if you say to Tom Brady, hey, I'd love to have one of your jersey, and then do you feel like obligated that, Hey, I'd like to have your jersey?
Speaker 3: Do you want mine? Do you say that?
Speaker 5: No? No?
Speaker 3: No, no?
Speaker 5: Are you gonna call me back?
Speaker 6: No?
Speaker 3: Do you like me?
Speaker 8: I hope?
Speaker 3: So you did you get a Brady jersey? I don't have a Brady jersey?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 3: Do you?
Speaker 1: Well?
Speaker 3: Who do you have? That might surprise me?
Speaker 7: My rookie year actually swapped jerseys with Julio Jones okay and Prime Julio, and he sent the jersey over, or was about to send the jersey over, and then I think it was the game he passed the ten thousand yard mark, so he took that back and centema okay, and another one will suffice.
Speaker 2: If you were facing you could choose one of these defenses to face that you would want to face.
Speaker 3: Who would you choose? I would like another shot at San fran.
Speaker 2: Okay, what did you miss out on that? Given a second go around, you would have taken advance.
Speaker 5: Of taking some easy completions.
Speaker 7: I think we were able to run the ball a tiny bit, but I think just some throws over the middle, and then we were driving the ball pretty well and I fumbled. And that's one of those players you always wanted to take back.
Speaker 5: And so.
Speaker 2: Why does the announcer always say when you throw an interception or quarterback fumbles, boy, you'd like to have that back. I can't imagine a situation where you throw an interception you.
Speaker 3: Wouldn't double down to it. I don't know, I don't know old strategy. Yeah, yeah, so San Francisco that defense.
Speaker 5: And I say that just.
Speaker 7: Because we played them, and I would, you know, personally, like to play them again. But I think they both present throwing issues. And so obviously Spagnola calls a great game for those guys. A lot of those guys have played with each other for a long time. So, and Chris Jones is a monster up front.
Speaker 2: Well, everybody keeps bringing up spags like what is it when you get to the line of scrimmage?
Speaker 3: What happens that changes?
Speaker 7: I mean, he presents some looks and here's the thing, those guys, he wouldn't be able to do it unless those guys really understood the scheme and what he's trying to get accomplished.
Speaker 5: And so whether they're able to disguise the blitz.
Speaker 7: McDuffie's an unbelievable blitzer from the nickel position. So the way he's able to make certain looks and coverages look the same as when he's blitzing it just he gets those guys off guard. And he just does at a good job of understanding team's tendencies and how he's gonna call the third down packages and how he's gonna set up some of the early rundown blitzes, and so I just think he does a great job.
Speaker 3: Were you ever labeled a game manager?
Speaker 7: Probably at some point, Yeah, he probably said that, didn't you, Dan, I don't think so.
Speaker 2: Not at Oklahoma. Okay, I didn't say that. A gun slinger maybe is what I said. But that's okay. Would you rather be a gun slinger or a game manager?
Speaker 5: Is there something in the middle.
Speaker 3: We can create something?
Speaker 2: Yeah, like a game slinger.
Speaker 7: Yeah, Like I that sounds like it's work in the corner or something. It was like, I'm selling, well a game slinger, I'll take gunslinger.
Speaker 3: I'll take gunslinger, take gunslinger. Yeah.
Speaker 2: But that that was like Mahomes was a gunslinger at Texas Tech. Yeah, he was labeled that way. Yeah, and that I think scared people. And but he still manages a game like you have to manage you.
Speaker 7: Yeah, And that's that's what I was telling people yesterday when they talk about Brock, I'm like, just because he's executing the offense exactly how he's being asked. I mean, you can call it game managing, but it's doing at an extremely high level. So and I don't know it's gun slinger. I feel like, has the the label puts you as the risky throw like far reception.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Bar was a gun slinger. Yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I've had a couple of seasons where I was a gunslinger.
Speaker 3: You were, Yeah, you proud of those.
Speaker 5: Twenty one interceptions in twenty nineteen. No, I'm not real proud of that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, how did Yeah, when you throw it like that feeling when it's picked off, does it change?
Speaker 6: No?
Speaker 2: How bad it like feels it described that feeling when you throw it and it probably in slow motion and.
Speaker 3: The guys ready to come in and get it. It's it's like.
Speaker 7: It's unlike, it's unlike anything else. It's it's like a punch to the gut and somebody steals your dog at the same time.
Speaker 3: Wow, your dog, Sorry to bring you down.
Speaker 5: It's serious, it is.
Speaker 3: You're joining us on behalf of Advanced Auto Parts.
Speaker 6: Now I've seen you as a spokesperson, and you're pretty good as a spokesperson.
Speaker 2: That a decent amount of you have. Yeah, and then it went away, didn't it? It did, And now you're back.
Speaker 5: I'm back like I never allowed I watch now.
Speaker 7: Okay, So yeah, I'm here on Advance Auto Parts and so obviously we're all here for a Super Bowl big day. But here's the thing. Following Sunday, February eighteenth is National Car Battery Day. So I did not know it's It's it even bigger Sunday.
Speaker 2: So this is the appetizer to I'm writing that down. Hold on, this is the appetizer to next Sunday car battery.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 7: So we got the campaign going on false starts kill drives obviously, and football kind of speaks for itself. Fall starts very frustrating. But in the auto industry, we're talking about car batteries. So obviously, if you're running late, got to have a car battery that's working.
Speaker 5: You don't want to have a dead one. And so what we're what we're doing here.
Speaker 7: If you register at aap false starts dot Com before the game Sunday and there's just one false start, you get a chance to win Diehard Car batteries for life.
Speaker 5: So for life, not the car's life.
Speaker 2: Your life. Oh yes, yeah, yeah, okay. And by the way, you're doing this with no notes. I think that's very impressive, very impressive.
Speaker 5: Thank you.
Speaker 6: By the way, I feel bad that I let you down when a long time ago.
Speaker 3: You wanted to dance with Justin Timberlake, I wound up able.
Speaker 9: To do it.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, so.
Speaker 3: You didn't let me down. Okay, you didn't let me down, all right. It eventually happened. Okay, I thought it would happen a little sooner. But I'm glad you were able to.
Speaker 5: Things happened with time.
Speaker 3: You know, and in a concert setting, concert setting, not nervous nope, okay, yeah. If we had to dance off of quarterbacks in the NFL.
Speaker 5: I'm trying to think who the competition to be.
Speaker 3: Mahomes does everything right?
Speaker 8: Right?
Speaker 7: Yeah?
Speaker 5: Like what, I don't know if he could dance though.
Speaker 3: Oh you don't.
Speaker 2: Uh, Aaron Rodgers, pre Achilles, you know. Josh Allen strikes me as a guy, a couple of pots. I think everything's out there.
Speaker 5: Josh would get down and dirty.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I think yeah yeah. And then Brock manager of course, you know it's his Waltz would be elite, elite.
Speaker 3: He would take what you know, the defense gives him. Not on the dance floor.
Speaker 2: There.
Speaker 3: It's great to see you. It's good to see and hopefully you're going to get a contract here.
Speaker 5: Let's hope.
Speaker 2: So yeah, and if not Tampa, then you want me to fill in the lad I have no idea. Okay, I'm taking one day at a time. No, this is where you got you got some leverage here.
Speaker 7: Yeah, but here's the thing. It's I think we'll just see how it falls, all right, what happens.
Speaker 2: Well, good luck with the commanders. He's a faker. Thank you about it. Yeah, I think we surprised him a little bit. Lewis Riddick of the Motherships had to join us here.
Speaker 1: Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup, and then catch all of our shows at foxsports Radio dot com and within the iHeartRadio app search FSR to listen live.
Speaker 10: Hey gang list is Jay Glazer, host of Unbreakable, a mental wealth podcast, and every week, we will have on leaders from sports entertainment like Sean McVay, Lindsey Vaughn, Michael phelf David Spade, got Fieri, and also those who can help us in between the ears, anyone from a therapist to someone.
Speaker 8: Like Ed Milett or John Gordon.
Speaker 10: We've all been through some sort of adversity to get to the top. We've all used different tools. Listen to Unbreakable with Jay Glazer and Mental Wealth podcast on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts or wherever you get podcasts.
Speaker 3: Man, you have to have a thick skin to work on this show. You do. We make fun of all of us.
Speaker 2: And one of the more interesting moments we had at the Super Bowl last year, Marvin's a forty nine er fan and Deebo Samuel came on and Deebo, I don't think, wanted to be there, and I thought, I don't have any questions, So I said to Marvin, do you got a question for Deebo Samuel being a forty nine er fan?
Speaker 3: And man, did it go bad? It like it was a.
Speaker 2: Bad interview on my part and then it got it. It was bad but good because you were trying to ask the question.
Speaker 9: And It was so funny because I was thinking to myself, if Ebo doesn't want to answer Dan Patch's questions, why does he want to answer my questions?
Speaker 3: You don't know me, no, nor does he care.
Speaker 9: Like see, he went up to him shook his hand, and Ebo turned his head away from him and shook his hand, and I was like, I'm not saying bleek the entired, and You're like, oh, Marvin's got a question.
Speaker 8: I was like, no, I don't have no question.
Speaker 9: So I was like, oh, yeah, so when you were little and Pop Warner his stuff, it was wild and no, your Devo.
Speaker 3: I don't think you ask a question. I think you just sort of stumbled.
Speaker 9: But you know what, that stumbling made the interview last two minutes longer than it probably should have.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So, I mean I had to fill some time there, so I appreciate you helping me.
Speaker 9: Yeah, with Debo, will you answer questions by drinking water? That means the interview is.
Speaker 8: Not going well?
Speaker 2: Alrighty Jordan Love will join us coming up in an hour from now. He's one of our favorites ESPN NFL college football analyst, former safety in the NFL, worked in the front office of the Eagles and Washington. He's Lewis Riddick of the Mothership. He'd be on the call in this Super Bowl with dan Or Lobsky and Chris Fowler for the ESPN audience in Australia and New Zealand. Let's welcome Lewis Riddick to the program. Looks like you could still play, you know.
Speaker 3: It looks for deceiving then, because but you ever want to hit somebody?
Speaker 6: Of course I do. But you know, of course, and you know what I mean. We were just talking about it off you know, off camera. The game used to be so much different. I mean, the violence of the game used to be something that if you didn't really partake in it, you didn't play, especially not at my position. I grew up watching guys like Kenny Easley, Ronnie Lott, Jack Tatum, George Jakinson. Those were my guys, Don Rogers. Now I'm a dinosaur. I wouldn't. I wouldn't. I wouldn't last a day in the NFL anymore.
Speaker 3: But we celebrated the violence. Yeah, yeah, we put out videos. I have them all still in my basement at home.
Speaker 6: If anybody has a VCR that's working right now. I could use one the beta and VHS.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but what changed, Like do you know if there was a moment that changed.
Speaker 6: Yeah, you know, I don't know if there's a moment, but when I was kind of like when we were talking about like running through some of the great hits that used to be on some of those some of those highlight packages, Like I remember Chuck Cecil's hit on Rod Middleton. I remember I remember seeing Jack Tatum hit Earl Campbell on the goal line. You know, I believe it was a Monday night game and Earl still stumbled into the end zone, but he was never like the same after that, you know, for the rest of that game. And I remember the late great Eric Turner who I played with at the Cleveland Browns, and when he hit Charles Johnson and they had to take Charles's face mask off with the screwdriver because he was out cold. I was like those moments when you add him up and you start thinking, like, guys now, guys now, couldn't hit that way. I mean, somebody would really be in trouble because if you look at NFL players now, these guys are so leaned out and so dense with muscle, and they moved so fast. Somebody would seriously get hurt if you were allowed to hit the same way we.
Speaker 2: Did, but you would learn to adjust. Ronnie Lott would learn, he would have to correct. Yeah, Jack Jatum, Yeah.
Speaker 6: And you know what players now, players now will have adjusted. They've they've done the best they can because they kind of grew up in the era of adjusting. But if you would have taken a guy like Ronnie or Kenny Easley or even you know myself, everything, I guess we would have found a way to do it. But the mindset was just so different then. The mindset then was do whatever is necessary to separate that guy from the football. And you really didn't like the health and safety of the player was kind of secondary. You didn't You have never wanted somebody to get hurt, but you didn't think of it the way you think of it now.
Speaker 2: Did guys drink before they went out there? Did they do like a shot or anything. I'm being so, I know I'm not going into battle. Whatever it takes to go into battle. If I played in the NFL, it'd be like, whatever you're giving me, give me a little bit more.
Speaker 6: They didn't. I never saw anybody drink. But I will say this, My brother played ten years for Buffalo in the early eighties, al during the eighties, and I do remember going up there and doing workouts with him in the summer, and I would see dudes after they just got done running wind sprints and doing they'd be in the locker room smoking cigarettes.
Speaker 5: I mean literally be.
Speaker 6: Like sitting at the locker room, going, man, how's the tough work. I'd be like, well, what are you smoking? Like cools and mentals for I mean, so like there was a lot of there was a few contradictions as far as, hey, I'm trying to take care of my body, but I'm still puffing down this pack of cigarettes. Now they're smoking pots. That's true too. But you know what, I will say this, though, the you did things back then to to make sure that you were able to play that you knew probably weren't always in your best interest long term in terms of whether it was taking things that would help numb some of the pain. Like I remember, like quite honestly, look, I remember doing things just so I could practice, because once you start playing, you didn't want to you didn't want to lose your spot, and it was just it's just so competitive that I think now players are much more aware of the long term effects of kind of ignoring some of the signs your body is telling you and they won't play, whereas before you did whatever was necessary to play.
Speaker 2: But do you think we're going to get to load management in the NFL when we get to eighteen games?
Speaker 6: Hmm, that's a great question. I wouldn't doubt it. I wouldn't doubt that there are people who are who are advising some of these players, who get in the ear of some of these players. So I'll tell you what, like at all levels now, Dan as you know, like coaches, administrators, general managers, like they're losing more and more control of the players themselves as far as getting them to do what they want them to do because so many people on the outside are in these guys ears. And I think a lot of it comes from that. So yeah, I think there's a possibility that you could see guys saying, hey, look, you want to add games, go ahead. That doesn't mean I'm playing all of them. Yeah, and they'll find ways to get out of them.
Speaker 2: Some of the awards last night, Miles Garrett got Defensive Player of the Year.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I can see. Look, Miles is a freak show. From an athletic standpoint, you can't block him one on one. You simply can't.
Speaker 2: But TJ watt stats across the border better than his was about to say.
Speaker 6: Look, we got to talk to TJ week eighteen, that game that we did Chris Fawler and Dan and I in Baltimore, and that was the first time I got to talk to TJ. What an impressive dude. When you talk to him in person, he's he's not about he's not about the show, he's not about this. He's just about the game. And he's unblockable. And so there was a there's so many guys. Who would you have given the award to TJ? Okay, I would have given it to him. Okay, Joe Flacco got Comeback Player of the Year. I saw Joe Flacco in the airport in Philly before we came down here. He had I think he had his wife and his kid. That's a great story too, Okay. Jamar Hamlin came back from death. Yeah, that's pretty big. It's a pretty big deal, like Joe came back.
Speaker 2: From retirement or you know, sitting on the counch Yeah, Jamar came back twice. Yeah from being like aside from the big man upstairs, when you come back from the dead, that's a pretty impressive thing that he did.
Speaker 3: And then he doesn't even win the Comeback Player of the Year. Yeah, I don't.
Speaker 6: I mean, you know what, see some of these awards sometimes awards man like, I don't. I don't quite understand everyone's rationale as to why they pick certain people and why they give certain wars to certain people. Look, Damar, would he face what he went through like? It's more than just coming back from you know, obviously his heart stopping on the field and then reviving him. It goes beyond that. That's just the beginning for him, the things he has to come that he came back from. As far as can you imagine playing a game that you played your entire life, right, your entire life, You never even for a second thought I might die on the field, and then it happens to you, and then you go back and go and play that game again. You know again, every time that you would think that I'm going to enter into contact to hit somebody, I'd be thinking could this be the one where he hits me again? Like that that mental those mental gymnastics that he's had to go through. Yeah, held, he probably should have won the award.
Speaker 2: Okay, Ronnie Lott cuts off the tip of his face so he can go back in and play, Yeah, like you have to.
Speaker 3: Not everybody had that mentality. Yeah, but I mean it's crazy.
Speaker 6: Ronnie Lot's my hero. He's the reason why wre forty two when I was in high school, and why were forty two when I got to the Cleveland Browns. Ronnie's different RONI. I said this on social media just the other day. I put a picture up and I said, He's the greatest leader of all time, regardless of any sport, of any sport. Really, because when I was in San Francisco as a rookie, I got drafted there and got cut, but I was there. Everybody there, every single person there, talked about Ronnie Lott like he was some kind of mythological creature. Like if Ronnie was here, we do this. If Ronnie was here. If ron I'd be like, well, damn, Ronnie's not here. But if he was here, they'd be like Ronnie would tell Georgey for when we want to practice, when we're not gonna practice what we're gonna practice, what calls we're gonna call. They said Ronnie would do things on the field. He would totally change defenses, tell defensive backs I'm supposed to be in the middle of the field. I'm not back here. I'm blitzing They good, you can't do that. He'd be like watch. But he was that guy who everybody feared and respected and loved. And man, I mean, this is so many great this legendary players, Dan, I mean, you know all who they are.
Speaker 3: He's the greatest leader of all time. That's some hefty praise.
Speaker 2: We're talking to Lewis Riddick of the mother ship, ESPN College Football and NFL analyst and on the call with Dani Rolovsky, Chris Faller and ESPN's audience in Australia and New Zealand. It feels like people are having a tough time picking this Super Bowl.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I can see why. I can see why these.
Speaker 3: Teams are so is this the best matchup? That we can not?
Speaker 2: And I would love Buffalo Detroit would have been the best Super Bowl matchup. But as far as the two best teams, which is what we love to see, Yes, did the NFL get it right with Kansas City and San Francisco.
Speaker 6: Absolutely, okay, absolutely, who do you like?
Speaker 3: I don't know, I'll stop it.
Speaker 8: You know what.
Speaker 6: See it's and I'm being that's serious, and I'm gonna tell you this is how it goes, like right, I want five six six years ago, we were sitting on Sports Center in March or April, I think I was on with Nicole Brisco and I said, this guy Patrick Mahomes is about to take over for Alex Smith. I said, watch what happens is he's gonna win the MVP. He'll throw for over forty touchdowns and he's gonna burst onto the scene. And she was like, what, wait a minute, you can't say that. I was like, watch, well as you can find that he can be just.
Speaker 3: It's a fact. He could be just. It's a fact. It's an absolute fact. You remember when.
Speaker 2: I saw Tom Brady at the Combine when he was coming out of Michigan.
Speaker 3: I say, he's gonna be the greatest quarterback of all time, folks.
Speaker 6: It's documented.
Speaker 3: It's a fact. It's a fact. Okay.
Speaker 6: So anyway, long story short?
Speaker 3: Why is a long story short? Never short?
Speaker 6: But this is gonna be short. I'll never bet against Patrick Mahomes.
Speaker 2: That's the way I feel. Never he graduated to Brady status.
Speaker 6: Absolutely everybody down there in Kansas City talks about the fact. They say this, and they say it all the time. As good of a player as he is, he's a better teammate. Yeah, seems like a great dude. But you know what, I kind of want Rock Party in San Francisco to win this game.
Speaker 3: You know why, because I've at times to explode.
Speaker 6: I'm gonna tell you why, because I want to see people twist themselves up in a pretzel trying to figure out how to explain why he won the game.
Speaker 3: And I want him to go. But it was depot but it was Christian Blood. Patrick do an interception.
Speaker 1: But he's not that good.
Speaker 6: But he shouldn't have been that good.
Speaker 3: He can't be that good.
Speaker 6: He's mister irrelevant, you know, because that's what's been happening lately, right despite the fact that the guy would.
Speaker 3: Get right there. That's why, you know what.
Speaker 6: That's why the other day I tweeted an emoji of just a pretzel and I just put it on Twitter and people were like, what does that mean?
Speaker 3: I was like, you'll see, just watch you'll.
Speaker 2: See if Rock Party played in the seventies, Yeah, we would never have any questions about him.
Speaker 6: Oh, can't he be Fran targeting Johnny and I is, he'd bear Star.
Speaker 3: Exactly, He'd be all those guys.
Speaker 6: But see now, we we want our quarterbacks now to be the guys who do Patrick stuff. We become drunk with that, intoxicated with the guys who can throw it with their left hand, throw a no look past, throw up behind their back, throw up between their legs, throw it up you know, seventy miles. But we go, well, what about the guy who led the league in total QBR, led the league in total QBR against the blitz, led the league in total QBR against, pressure, yards per attempt, efficiency ratings, completion percentage by the backs.
Speaker 3: But they, oh, forget that.
Speaker 6: I just want to look at how he looks and how he plays, and that's why we won't ever give it to him the way he deserves. And then, of course, being mister irrelevant, people think, well, he was mister irrelevant for a reason. So you don't think ever the general managers ever make a mistake.
Speaker 3: Of course they do.
Speaker 2: Well, it's we're waiting for the clock to strike midnight. Yeah, but why you know this all? Why would we do that?
Speaker 3: Because that's that's how we are as his society.
Speaker 6: But did you're having a guy come in here right here? I guess in an hour? No, like in somebody else coming like the greatest of all time?
Speaker 3: Uh? Tom Brady?
Speaker 5: Yeah? That guy.
Speaker 6: Oh see he's in the building, that's right. Yeah, So think about this, that guy. When he was drafted, he was fifth on the depth chart as a rookie, fifth, and Bill kept him around because he saw something. So not everybody thought that Tom Brady'd be Tom Brady either, But now we annoyed him as the greatest of all. But obviously it took him winning, you know what, seven super Bowls in order for them to say that. But hey, I don't care where you come from, but I love to know where you're going, and I know where brock Perty's going.
Speaker 3: So we'll see Paul.
Speaker 11: I've got a couple of different clips. I can't play him from here. But lewis what you said about Patrick Mahomes. You said that he's going to be a phenomenal his first year out. You also reported they considered starting him at one point during his rookie year he was doing so well in practice, and you picked most likely to win a Super.
Speaker 5: Bowl first after the draft was Patrick Mahomes.
Speaker 11: You picked that on Draft Now.
Speaker 2: And then Paula, did you find what I said about Brady when he was coming out of college that he'd be a.
Speaker 11: Bradst Yeah, you said, they shaid bench Bloodsoe or maybe he gets hurt and they get lucky to get him in the.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I said, don't play Bledsoe against the Jets because if you do, Brady's going to start and he's going to be the greatest.
Speaker 6: I think you will never Yeah, lets will never play again.
Speaker 3: Yes, something that you nailed it? Yeah, I did.
Speaker 8: I nailed it.
Speaker 3: Okay, real quick.
Speaker 2: Here the Bears Caleb Williams foregone conclusion he's going number one.
Speaker 6: I don't know. I mean maybe it is, but I'll tell you this, I've really started to really dig on his tape. That kid is ridiculously talented.
Speaker 3: Okay, so then you have to take him?
Speaker 11: Yeah?
Speaker 6: Probably probably So justin fields ends up. Where Where would you like to see him go? Atlanta?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 3: You sure would? Back Wood put him with all those weapons.
Speaker 6: Yeah, you'd like to see him there with Raheem you'd like to see him there with Zach Robinson, their offensive coordinators coming over from La and Bijon. There you go a play action centric type of Yeah, he'd be perfect there, he just become an all pro.
Speaker 2: I would just say, go In, we're gonna do what Lamar does. We're just let's go the old Lamar.
Speaker 6: You know what, though, I don't know if you, I think Justin doesn't have to He doesn't have to be in that kind of system in order to excel. Look if he can excel in a drop back game that features some quarterback run stuff, But I don't think. I don't think you can put him in that kind of box where you just say, look, you have to run him all the time. He's not that. He's better than that. And Chicago just couldn't figure it out. It's their problem, not his.
Speaker 2: Yeah, i'd like him, and I think the pol when you start to change, you know, coordinators, and you know, all of a sudden, you go, here's another coordinator. You know, Baker Mayfield went through that. Yep, Okay, does Baker what's he get from Tampa Bay?
Speaker 8: Oh Man?
Speaker 6: Probably? I mean, he's he's gonna be in the forty plus for year range. Okay, and he and he should be. But you know what the kind of build off of what you were just saying. We all know that organizations ruined quarterbacks as much as quarterbacks ruined themselves. But then when a quarterback doesn't succeed, we go all the quarterbacks sucks. It's not his fault. Well, he had a look at all the different things he had to go through in Chicago and justin fields, and it's it's unfair how we criticize players. We pick and choose, how we want to know, who we want to kind of put up on a pedalstal and who we don't. We make certain people heroes, who make certain people goats. But it's just we've gotten a little bit out of hand with that kind of thing.
Speaker 2: Show that show. Yeah, like you know, I'm a hero for it. He's a goat and not the goat which you are. You are a hero, though many you are a hero.
Speaker 3: Do you have anything else that Lewis said Pauline.
Speaker 11: Now from Lewis, dan I found one of yours. This is right before the draft a couple of years ago, forty nine. Or consider UH insurance at quarterback. Maybe look at rock party late in the draft.
Speaker 6: You did there you go?
Speaker 3: Oh, there you go. I thought I did well.
Speaker 5: It's I'm Parafram.
Speaker 2: Remember remember Broctober, he celebrated brocktober Tony was at Iowa.
Speaker 5: Still.
Speaker 6: I will say one of the people who I believe actually was instrumental in getting Brock to San Francisco was our old colleague Brian Griese, who's now the quarterback coach in San Francisco. That he did watch his tape and he was one of the people who wanted him.
Speaker 2: So they did a great job. Great to see you, absolutely, thanks thanking me. Thank you for all your contributions to the show. Of course, is Lewis Riddick. We'll be back. We're playing the is it Rhyme time? Fritzie coming on?
Speaker 3: Okay back after.
Speaker 1: This, be sure to catch the live edition of The Dan Patrick Show weekdays at nine am Eastern six am Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: Jordan Love of the Packers will join us. Coming up here in Las Vegas. Want to thank the Fountain Blue Hotel they have hosted us all week long. Thank you for the hospitality, a beautiful place. You get the opportunity and it is the place to go here on the strip. All right, it's a game that is sweeping the countryside. I'm surprised that other in the countries. Yes, it's sweeping the nation. I'm surprised that other shows haven't stolen. This gonna happen, of course it will, so Todd, it's rhyme time. And if you want to explain to the audience what rhyme time is, and then we'll play the game.
Speaker 8: I'm going to give you, guys two clues. It's just two words and the answer both of those words rhyme. The answer is two words that rhyme.
Speaker 3: Ok, give us, give us for instance.
Speaker 8: Clown barnum, clown barnum.
Speaker 3: Marvin could be it could be the same word.
Speaker 8: I'll give you a clue for this one, Bailey Bailey.
Speaker 4: The judges are looking for circus circus, the clown Barnum Bailey.
Speaker 3: There was there was no reaction the crowd. By the way, speaking to the micro circus, remember the first time we did this and started off slow, but then it really it's going to pick up here we go get the energy.
Speaker 12: Come on, come on, come on, drunk, plastic drunk, plastic, plastic, drunk, plastic, plastic word.
Speaker 8: It's the particle R. That's something there.
Speaker 3: Drunk who rhino.
Speaker 13: Drunk gratuity dancer, gratuity dance.
Speaker 8: Tipper, stripper dancer.
Speaker 3: Sorry, I got excited.
Speaker 8: Enhanced logo, enhanced logo.
Speaker 3: Breast crest, the logo, enhanced logo breast West.
Speaker 13: He appreciates the tight end with that. Hobbled sugar, Daddy, hobbled sugar.
Speaker 3: Yes, more limp. That's exactly what that is. A limp pamp is it? I was going to guess limp hemp?
Speaker 4: What the palace elders, Palace elders think of Vegas pallass elders.
Speaker 3: What is Caesar's geezers? Is exactly what that is? L FG.
Speaker 8: Cool girl, guest wrangler, cool girl, guest.
Speaker 14: Wow hooker, that's exactly the right there. You go, Okay, we got a duplicate leakage.
Speaker 8: Duplicate leakage, copy, sloppy. Think of the.
Speaker 4: Surgeries and things done to enhance yourself would be part of the second word, duplicate leakage. When you duplicate someone they look exactly the same. That would be doing what when you copy someone, you make two people look exactly.
Speaker 13: To say, your clone we're looking for clone silicon. Yeah, worried, worries pole dancer, worries pole dancer, worries pole dancer.
Speaker 8: If you have worries, you have.
Speaker 3: Anxiety.
Speaker 8: If you have worries, you have troubles and a pole dancer. Name could be.
Speaker 3: Bubbles, Bubbles bubbles. X rated pizza, X rated Why why does everything have a sex? Because it's fake. So that's what I want to do.
Speaker 11: X rated pizza like you're Lennon night last night, X rated frozen pizza.
Speaker 3: Okay, just were looking for all right, got a few more?
Speaker 8: I don't know if we have time for a few.
Speaker 3: We don't know. That's got one in his back pocket. He's been sitting all right.
Speaker 2: Maybe maybe at the top of the final hour, we'll rhyme time and then Jordan Love will join us.
Speaker 3: Dan Patrick Show