Speaker 1: This is he said a ya Dho with Eric Winter and Rosalind Fantaz.
Speaker 2: All Right, everybody, welcome back to another episode of He said a yeddo.
Speaker 3: I am so excited today we have a guest.
Speaker 2: You know, I've been talking about this book for a while on parenting and it is it has been something that's eye opening, a little bit tough to process because you know, you think you're doing everything right and listen, nobody can do anything perfectly. But this book, I think really helps guide you in the right way. It's how to raise mentally strong kids. And I'm so excited that doctor Charles Faye, one of the co authors of this book, is here with us today to talk about the book, talk about how we can be better parents and work with our kids the best way possible because there is no roadmap, you know, one straightforward way for any kid. He is a parent, internationally recognized author, consultant, highly skilled public speaker, a psychologist.
Speaker 3: You know, he works with kids all the time.
Speaker 2: So this is something that I just I can't wait to dive in and pick his brain.
Speaker 4: Hello.
Speaker 3: How you doing, doctor Faye? Good in you, Eric, I'm doing great.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much for being on the podcast with me, which my wife could be here too.
Speaker 4: My pleasure.
Speaker 3: Your your book how to.
Speaker 2: Raise mentally Strong Kids has been something that I've already you know, referred to a ton of parents in my circle, and it's I've been talking about on the podcast for a while and I was so excited when our producers were able to get a hold of you and get you on the podcast. Is that you've obviously written many books, but this book to me was so eye opening in being a parent, and it was it was recommended to me, funny enough, by my daughter's mindset coach, who is she plays a lot of tennis, and that's he recommended it to me. What what what made you decide to write this particular book.
Speaker 1: Oh? Well, first of all, Daniel Aim and doctor Aiman is absolute genius and I just love him. He's such a kind man and so spot on with what he's doing with parenting and the brain relationships everything else. That m and I got together, we started seeing the connection between both of our careers and he said, hey, how about if we write a book? And I said yes immediately because it is that connection between the brain health and the practical psychology. I mean, what do we do when the rubber hits the pavement.
Speaker 4: We're trying to parent. That connection is powerful and it's unique one.
Speaker 2: Hundred percent, and there's there there's no roadmap. I just said this, even an interro. There's no roadmap to anyone, to any child, Like it's everybody. You're not giving a handbook like this will work with everybody. I have two kids, and they're so different, right, and everything's the same, right, Like, same parents, same upbringing, same everything, and they're just so polar opposite. And you're you're a parent. I mean, surely you've made plenty of mistakes as well, right, Like following the book is.
Speaker 3: I read it and I was going.
Speaker 2: Wow, I need to work on myself. But it was in the most positive way. You know. It's just giving you tools to be better. But no parent can be perfect either.
Speaker 1: Oh my goodness. You know I was thinking about this today. Well, first of all, I was thinking I often think have this feeling all the time, and it goes like this, Wow, after the way things went today in our house with my behavior, you know, I have no business talking with anybody about parenting, right, So, and then my wife will say, just get over yourself, right, you just need to move on. And she's right, really, but I got to thinking just today about the fact that we're all imperfect, right, and our kids are imperfect. So who better to show our kids how to navigate life then somebody else who's imperfect just like them, right, because they're going to make a lot of mistakes and they need to look back at their parents that think, well, if my parents as messed up as they were could do it, I guess I could do this too, right. But because I mean, honestly, who who really.
Speaker 4: Likes to follow somebody who's perfect?
Speaker 1: I mean that, you know, follow people who come across as perfect, are not really all that motivational.
Speaker 3: Might be more damage than others they just started.
Speaker 1: Well, that's true, but you know it's when we see somebody who's the underdog, you know, that's the underdog story. I mean, you know, every every great drama, every blockbuster film had that element, you know, of of the Rocky story. You know, this guy who just couldn't pronounce words very well, wasn't that attractive, dressed poorly, but he worked hard, you know, and he succeeded. And that gives us hope. And I want our kids to be able to see that enough. So parents, Uh, the good news is you're not perfect and you don't have to be.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know in some the things you talked about in the book, even just putting yourself back into their shoes right at their point in our lives. And it's very hard for parents because as we get older, we think, okay, we've figured it all out. But yeah, it took so many years and steps for us to figure out what we know. And we didn't figure it all out, but we figured out to get us to this point. And it's hard to reflect back on the challenges you had as a child and the things that you went through and to know that what your kids going through is totally normal. It is expected for them to go through this.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And it's part of the purposeful process, it really is. And I will ask all the listeners right now, how many of you learned the most important lessons in life by making really good decisions doing the right thing or were those learning experiences mostly the result of you making important decisions and experiencing the consequences. And so a message. I want everybody here lot and clear this message out as much as I can. Your kids they need to make a lot of mistakes. I hope they're making enough affordable mistakes right now, the kind of mistakes that are not life and death. They might sting a bit for the kid and for you as well as a parent, but they're way more affordable than the mistakes they'll make later on in life if they don't have experience with making decisions and experiencing consequences.
Speaker 3: One hundred percent.
Speaker 2: And you know, some of the things, and I always talk about this, even just with friends and stuff like that, and I guess I'm a frustrated psychologist in a way. I was a psych major in school and I ended up being an actor, so it helped me in a different, totally different way. But you know, it's like we all want to just try to be I think my parents did the best they could, and I have so much respect for what my parents did, but I always feel like it's every generation's job.
Speaker 3: To try to do a little better and a little better and.
Speaker 2: Whatever you learn, because there's so much new knowledge and so much more information coming in, you know, every single year, about food, about health, about all kinds of stuff that we can be better as parents.
Speaker 3: And it's a balance.
Speaker 2: It's not easy, but you know, There is a fine line also between being like a helicopter parent, which to me is you got to let your kids, like you said, make mistakes. You can't micromanage everything, even though I know I do way more than my parents did. But do you think that's a sign of the times that have changed, or is that just the new wave of parenting of this I'm going to try to control every aspect to protect my kids from everything.
Speaker 1: Well, first of all, it's it's evolved over the years. So the helicopter parenting actually began during the nineteen fifties, when one of the first time during during the time one of the first times in American history where people actually had some leisure time, you know, and they had all these appliances, and they had rs and all this stuff, and the economy was really good, and now they had time to mess up their kids, okay, and so you know, and they thought, oh, you know, I'm not going to let my kids struggle like I did during the depression during World War two. You know, I don't want them to go through that stuff. And so they tried to make life perfect and they put kids at the center of attention all out of good intention. But the truth of it is is that none of us know how to manage life unless we have some struggle. You know that we need struggle. We need struggle for purpose. But it started in the nineteen fifties to answer your question. And then as the world feels more dangerous in some ways, people get scared. And see when people get scared, they go in the direction of trying to control the environment. When I'm fearful, how can I control everything so it lines up right in my mind, which causes things to get more out of control in our lives.
Speaker 3: Well, one hundred percent, you know it's so.
Speaker 2: I always joke with you in friends are saying, like this generation of kids, like my generation of my children, they they're softer than we were as kids, you know, Like I had to navigate waters on my own. I was staying home by myself much you know, younger. I was out till late at night when the street lights went out. My parents just said be here at this time, and I was there. There were no phones. You couldn't contact me.
Speaker 3: I knew.
Speaker 2: I figured out street smarts at a very young age where I felt very comfortable navigating dangerous situations. But I don't feel like my kids are at that place, and I even though I try to explain it and I try.
Speaker 3: To be open with you know, with them about everything.
Speaker 2: I just don't feel like those freedoms have been allowed by us. Like there's just a I'm scared you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think we all are. I noticed that with myself. I have a forty year old, I have a thirty year old, and I have a seventeen year old. We had a later in life surprise blessing, okay, and things have changed just in that period of time, and I find myself thinking, wow, am I way more of a helicopter myself than I was before? Because there's just a lot more going on out there, and so it is scary. So parents, first of all, let's get real. Okay, let's really get real. Sometimes it's really important to micromanage and helicopter. I mean, kid is about ready to do something really damaging to themselves or others. That's when we throw out the parenting books and we say no, and we do everything we can to either be a helicopter and rescue them or be a drill sergeant to say just flat out no, not gonna happen, right, and we can pull that off. Parents, you can pull that off if it's not the only tool in your toolbox.
Speaker 2: I think that's the important thing, right, is having different tools, because sometimes you will have to be like in your book, as you describe a drill sergeant, sometimes you will have to step up and be that. It's obviously not what you want to be all the time because it's going to have its own consequence on the child. But you're gonna end up having different aspects of each of those parenting characteristics.
Speaker 1: I think, right, and parents, here's something that will help help me. I think it's helped a awful lot of people is to constantly ask yourself every day, am I allowing this kid to do enough thinking? Am I allowing this kid enough freedom to make some small mistakes? Am I teaching this kid basic life skills? For example, you know, we would go shopping, and my wife is so so much smarter at this than I am. She would have our sons make a list of all the things we needed. She'd give them some feedback, but they were responsible at a very early early age for trying to figure out what was needed at the store. Of course, we would, you know, throw in some ideas. We're guiding all along the way, but we're getting them thinking about it. And then when we're in the store, they're the ones who have to find the stuff, and if we know where it is, we don't give them that information right away. We allow them to struggle. Are your kids struggling? Are they thinking through life?
Speaker 4: You know?
Speaker 1: Then we get to the checkout line and they're the ones who are paying. They're the ones who are interacting with the clerk.
Speaker 4: I can remember.
Speaker 1: Kids, they were like four or five years old, and they're the woman. The clerk's looking at us and no, he's going to handle this, you know, just looking at and he's been coached a lot. Okay, he can and we jump in and correct and if we needed to. But the more you can do that stuff, the greater your kid's mental health is going to be. Now, where's the connection there? I just made a leap, right, Yeah, a bit of a leap mental health from all of that. Parents, listeners, When when we can solve problems, when we have the confidence of knowing that we can navigate this difficult world and think and solve problem, does that give us hope?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 1: I can do this, and see, the more hope we have the more immune we're going to be, resistant, we're going to be to developing anxiety, depression, and a whole host of other problems. It's that hope, it's that sense of control, that sense of empowerment. And that is precisely why friends, that the kids who've been helicoptered chronically are the ones who have are more likely to have the more serious mental health struggles.
Speaker 2: I mean, it doesn't make sense that if a child starts feeling a constant fear of stepping into a position, that the anxiety level of that child could increase over the years and get worse and worse and worse, and next thing you know, you have a team that's dealing with heavy anxiety because they never got to a place at as a child where they felt that hope or comfort, or responsibility or confidence. Really, yeah, I was gonna jump to another chapter because I loved your chapter on health and eating and that's something to me, like pairing the brain and the gut and how all of that can come into play in how you take care of your body. Because your brain, you have to take care of it, but you have to take care of your body as well. And to me, you tackled so many things that we follow in our house with just healthy diets. Things that are bad for your kids outright, they should not be eating. It's toxic for the brain, it's not good for their growth anything. And we get looked at. I'll tell you what, maybe we're a bit too helicoptery in this category, but we are very, very of the mind of we're gonna teach you kids what's right, what's wrong, what's good with food, what's bad with food. Why this high fructose corn syrup is not good for you. Why dies are not good for you, even though all your favorite candies and all these juices and everything have it, sodaes and everything else. Why this is bad even though your friends might do it heavily processed foods, you're not going.
Speaker 3: To do it, at least not at home. And then you know, you go to a birthday party.
Speaker 2: You give them a little freedom, and they're gonna have some of this, and they have some of that, but you try to manage it as much as you can.
Speaker 3: To me, your chapter was spot on. It made my kids listen to it. I rewound it. I said, listen, we're not crazy. Look what the doctor's saying. Look what they're.
Speaker 2: Saying in this book. This is spot on what we tell you every day. And it's a battle. It's tough because we get looked at by other parents like we're crazy. But I look at those parents and I don't judge anybody. I let them raise their kids however they want. But if I'm looking at a kid having three and four sodas back to back, I'm like, maybe do a little research.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's a problem. You hit on something really powerful, and that is that great parents teach their kids right from wrong. They teach their kids what is good what is not good. They instill deep values, they instill solve information about a nutritional health exercise, a wide variety of different issues. But but affect parents aren't really involved and they are not afraid to share their values with their kids. We've we've gotten scared off from that.
Speaker 4: Over the years.
Speaker 1: There's this there's been this trend of oh, and there's a number of books written about I won't mention any of the names of these books, but they're all basically excuses not to not to actually teach our kids' values and information about things. It's like, just let them figure it out, you know. I often think that I fly a lot, you know, and I'm so glad that the pilots are kind of anal retentive. I really like that that they are pretty controlling people when it comes to their jobs. It's the same feeling I have when I go in I had surgery a few years back. I was really glad that my doctor is kind of uptight about procedures and all that sort of think because I felt safe. And see, when our kids do not have the leadership required to know how to navigate life in terms of their their physical health, their mental health, their sexual health, right their spiritual health, you go down the line. If they don't have that, they're going to get lost, they're going to get anxious, and they're going to make a lot of mistakes that aren't affordable. So I'm right on board with you. But the question is, Okay, we just talked about two seemingly incompatible constructs here, and we're promoting both. So let's let's explore that for a moment. We're talking about let's let kids make mistakes, let's not be helicopters or drill sergeants, while at the same time, let's be fairly you know, honestly, really good parents are kind on the strict side. They're more on the firm side about things. So how do we reconcile those two things. Well, well, first of all, I'm going to I'm going to walk the talk.
Speaker 3: Yeah, okay, you got to be the example, right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's my walk is way more important than my talk. Let's remember that. So so people tend to respect people who are willing to walk their talk.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 1: The second thing has to do with relationship. See, when I have a solid relationship and spend a lot of time with my kids, I have a lot of joy with them. I focus mostly on what they do well rather than what they do poorly. The odds are way higher that they're going to look at me and think, you know, I want to be like that guy. I want to be like my mom, I want to be like that woman. You know, I want to adopt their value system. So the relationship is so so important. And then of course we pick those things that were absolutely unwilling to budge on. We teach them, we expect them, we model them. Uh, and then we let go of the rest.
Speaker 3: At some point, you're going to have to let go.
Speaker 2: You got to let them you got to give them all the tools and let them be young, you know, little people and young young adults, and let them navigate the waters.
Speaker 1: Right, right, Yeah, we have those core non negotiables, but then we have a whole broad area of real estate where, kid, you get to make some big mistakes as long as they're not so big that they're going to hurt you or other people.
Speaker 2: Well, I think it's so hard because I'm a firm believer in the brain gut relationship, right, And I wasn't always that way. I'm not gonna lie. I'm not going to say I was perfect. I was terrible as a kid. I ate horrible foods, you know, And that was a different generation, right, Like, it's just I don't think our parents knew any different. And what we're seeing now, especially just in the standard American diet and what we see across just the way our foods are processed in the States is so different than if you're to be in Europe where you were to see how their FDA approaches things and what's allowed in foods and not allowed, and it's so much easier. And I would use this example. You could be a lactose intolerant. You could have an issue with gluten, and you go to Europe and you could have all the cheese you want, and you could eat bread and you feel.
Speaker 3: Fine and you lose weight.
Speaker 2: Right, But here everything is so overly processed, so loaded with other additives and preservatives and colors and dyes and you know, just so much stuff. It drives me crazy that we have not we have non negotiables, you know, in our house. And I know a lot of parents that are that are friends of ours look at us like you're crazy.
Speaker 3: And I'm like, well, it's okay. You don't judge me.
Speaker 2: I'm not judging you do whatever you want with your kids, but I'm gonna teach my kid that this is a big no. And if you occasionally are somewhere and you want to have it, you know, have something great.
Speaker 3: They always have. It's about what's having better, you know what I mean?
Speaker 2: If you're gonna have an ice cream and you know, you know, let's say you can avoid the dairy because one of my kids doesn't do great with dairiusn't have a sorbet right, or have a gelato or you know, a sorbetto right, and don't do the dairy and if it's made with real sugar, I'd rather that than some artificially sweetened or whatever else. But you can always trying and find a better option, because I truly think what you put in your gut directly affects your brain. And it's like what they say like follow your gut, well, that's like sometimes your first brain exactly.
Speaker 1: And everything is absolutely connected. That is the essence of both of our approaches, Daniels and I that every single thing is connected, and so what we put in is going to dramatically influence our mood and our cognitive behaviors and everything else, not to mention our physical health. So it is all connected. And parents, if somebody has a problem with the way you're parenting, is that okay, yeah, yeah, I know. There are a lot of people have a problem with things that I say, or things that I do, or are actions that I've taken, and I have to ask myself, do I truly feel committed to those?
Speaker 4: Is that?
Speaker 1: Are these the most loving things I can do for my family, my kids and my neighbors. And I have to rest on that. But the truth, here's a little bit of truth here. Okay, if you're really healthy, it's.
Speaker 4: Gonna bother a lot of people.
Speaker 1: Yeah, if you're really healthy psychologically, spiritually, cognitively, morally, that's gonna be really threatening to a lot of people. And you have to say to yourself, you know, that's sad for them, and.
Speaker 4: I'll pray for that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but you go, you stay in a place of peace for yourself and don't let them get you off track.
Speaker 3: You protect your family as they would do as well. So it's a priority.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 2: Let me ask you this because it came from Have you worked with a lot of parents that deal with children in sports.
Speaker 3: Yeah, let me tell you it's tough.
Speaker 2: My daughter is a competitive tennis player and plays that you know, plays at least six days a week, and she's in tournaments and you know USDA and she's track going around and it is. It has been eye opening that that world in general, for tennis of all sports.
Speaker 3: You know, I didn't grow up playing it. I grew up playing team sports.
Speaker 2: And a lot of the parents you meet are very challenging and the you know, the environment's tough. It's everybody thinks they have the next pro and it's it's a lot right then. It Yeah, brushes off from from that from to you to your kid, and then your kid feels all this pressure and weight of like I got to keep up with.
Speaker 3: Everybody, and training is so difficult.
Speaker 2: What is something to simple advice you can give parents that are dealing with children that want to be great in sports, but they're still children that they are going through you know, teenage years where it comes and goes and ebbs and flows their commitment and all that, and it can be frustrated for a parent.
Speaker 3: Do you have general advice?
Speaker 1: Well, that's rest pretty close to home because I had three boys who were were pretty good athletes and very competitive. And the first bit of advice is kids will always take their emotional cues from the adults they.
Speaker 4: Love and respect.
Speaker 1: Okay, so how well put together am I? I used to have to ask myself as my young host was up on the mound, you know, as a picture, how you know how well put together am I?
Speaker 4: Today? Over this whole thing?
Speaker 1: Because what this kid needs is they need an adult who can be a loving rock in their life. That's huge. See, if you watch sports and you watch parents with their kids in sports, usually the kids perform better and are happier when the parents have to work on that day and they can't make the game true. Okay, So all right, So do I want to communicate to them that? And here's the main message is I love you, I like you.
Speaker 3: I'm not.
Speaker 1: Dependent upon how you do in this sport for me to be happy and content as a parent.
Speaker 4: And see that that.
Speaker 1: I was tricked by that, you know, I thought I was there many times with me and you know, and I thought, oh, you know, I love my kids unconditially. I don't care, you know, if he you know, if he walks somebody, if he gets homered off of that's fine. You know, I love him. I don't love his no hitter potential.
Speaker 2: Ah yeah, But do you know how much happier you feel when you leave the game, Oh yeah, hitter and you're like cloud nine.
Speaker 3: Your day is the best I know.
Speaker 4: Oh I know.
Speaker 1: And that's the danger of it. That's the trickiness of it. So that's probably the biggest obstacle for parents.
Speaker 4: Okay.
Speaker 1: And so this is why they're also we have to fight to maintain other parts of our life with our kids when they're this involved in sports. Other parts of our life with our kids where we get meaning from other things, For example, in our family was. We just decided that we were going to fight to remain continue to go to church, even though there was all this competition going on, and sometimes we had to get pretty creative with that and do it at different times. But we devoted ourselves to that because that had to be our purpose. Not the sports, so very important because it can get way lopsided. The third thing I would say is don't look to the coaches. Now this is not a dig on coach. There's a lot of great ones out there, by the way. Don't look to the coaches, and don't look to the other parents for your sense of direction or your your image of what it looks like to be healthy. We often do that. We get involved in this. It's a culture.
Speaker 4: It's a whole.
Speaker 1: Family, you know, and we like the other parents, and some of them we don't, but we all spend so much time together. It's such an intense experience that we start as as a people do they start looking towards other people around them as the norm for their own.
Speaker 4: Behavior and emotions. See.
Speaker 1: In other words, we have to remain leaders. The leaders don't look to the people around them to figure out what to do. They don't look to the polls to figure out what their policy should be. They look to their heart, into their strong convictions, and they follow those and the kids need that, and the and the kids who with the parents who have that attitude are much more likely to get through sports, engage in sports, or any other activity with their heads and their hearts still intact.
Speaker 2: You know, my biggest challenge, and I'm not gonna lie, has been okay A, I've had that even after after I listened to the book. I did an audiobook, but even after after listening to it, I uh. I went to my daughter many times, I said, listen, I love you. I want to be dad first. You know I'm invested in tennis. I've been part of your coaching group. I help you because I'm the one that goes to the tournaments. I don't care, and I've said this in the right ways. I don't care if you win or you lose. I really don't. I care about how you perform in those moments you're at court with focus, If you want to be here, and you're having all of us in the family work around our schedule, our time, money, all the resources, and you have a one hour, hour and a half practice, please show up for that hour and a half practice. If you show up and you start to wake up halfway through the practice, that's when my fire starts to light and I start to get a problem, and I have to control myself and I have to go to the coaches and go like, she's slack, and you got to pick her what you gotta make her move, because if I start saying it to her and I start fighting, and it ruins the class. Even if I say it nicely, like Sebby, get your feet moving, Sebbie, you know, let's go, yeah energy.
Speaker 3: She loses her mind. You're embarrassing me. Stop talking like.
Speaker 2: She gets immediately in a defensive mode, and it's and it immediately sends the practice or even a match in a downward spiral sometimes. And so I've tried to step back, and if there's times like I don't go, my mom will end up taking her.
Speaker 3: My wife and.
Speaker 2: She yeah, my wife and I have the same kind of problem with her, but my mom might take her and she might have a better practice.
Speaker 3: Because we're not there.
Speaker 2: But now my mom has been so much because I've been filming and she's gone so many times, So now she's the one going come on Sebbi with your.
Speaker 3: Feet and now she doesn't feel safe with my mom because it's almost like you can't control it.
Speaker 2: You're like, just give me an hour of focus, but then you have to remind himself she's twelve.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah. And so one of the.
Speaker 1: Best pieces of advice I ever got was from a coach that I really respected, one of my son's coaches, and he said, he said to me, and we had a really good relationship. He was just a great guy, just down to earth, you know. And he's like, hey, hey, Charles, how's it going today?
Speaker 4: A pretty good?
Speaker 1: You know, Yeah, you look a little tight, you know. It's like, well, I don't know, I just you know, whatever, And what's going on? Man? He says, hey, do you think I can handle this? And I said, well, yeah, you're one of the best coaches I've ever known, and you love the kids. You do a great job, You're a man, a character. I just respect you so much. You don't even yell at the umpires when they make bad calls, and you're the best. He says, so, well, you let.
Speaker 4: Me do my job.
Speaker 1: So I'm like, what do you mean?
Speaker 5: Is this just I understand because I got boys too, you know, I got kids in sports. I said, just trust me on this and let me be the coach, right, And he said, you know, one of the things I had to learn.
Speaker 3: You know, he's humble.
Speaker 1: He says, one of the things I had to learn, Charles was that I just had to had to let the coaches be the coaches. And even if I I and he knew a lot about baseball, he said, I know a ton about pitching, but I still have to let somebody else be that coach. Such an important thing because then that allows me to have, as a parent, have that healthy relationship with my kid, rather than than going into a lane that I really don't need to be in.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you're trying to be more. Just be dad and help you.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna be dad.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 1: There are a lot of times I knew exactly what you need to do, but I get my mouth shuit. But you said something else, Eric that I love. I'd absolutely love. We have to expect character. That is a non negotiable. And as a parent, Okay, I'm I'm not going to rely on.
Speaker 4: The coach for the character component.
Speaker 1: Okay, for the sport component, the coaching, the sport component, Yeah, but the character component. And there have been times where we said, you know, not working for us, We're not seeing the level of effort and and and basically respect that that we expect. So we're going to take a break. Yeah, you know, well I got to get to practice. And if I'm not at practice, yeah, I understand, And uh, we're going to take a break. And when I see that you're prepared to go in with your head in the right place, I'm happy to start taking you again.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: That's been a mot something that we've tried to model and and and move through at times, because you know, character is a big deal. You look your coach in the eye if they're giving you instruction, be respectful, you know, and embrace and take in everything that they're saying, because if you don't.
Speaker 3: You're wasting every You're wasting just time.
Speaker 2: It's just you're not gaining any ground and you're just yeah but I went to practice. Yeah, but you didn't really show up for practice. You were physically on the court, but mentally you were somewhere else, right, So it's just I'd rather you do something else.
Speaker 3: Period.
Speaker 2: Well, we'll find something that makes you happy all the time. But I'm not gonna let you sit at home and be an electronics I can tell you that, but we'll find something to let you be, you know, be happy doing whatever, put a smile on your face. Otherwise have the respect and the character. One more thing I want to ask you before I let you go is what are your thoughts? Because this is what sports is tough, and especially with tennis, and we've gone back and forth on this is what are your feelings on homeschooling versus you know, traditional school in the sense.
Speaker 3: Of if it if it's sports or something else.
Speaker 2: I mean, are you a advocate of homeschooling if needed or would you prefer not?
Speaker 3: Or what are your thoughts?
Speaker 1: All right, well, homeschooling can be absolutely fantastic, okay, as long as it's done well. And so you asked the wrong person, you know, because I'm biased. You know, our two older kids went to school, our younger one homeschooled from day one.
Speaker 4: Okay?
Speaker 1: Is that the color school of Minds got into college, highly competitive college at age fifteen, honor student. You know that's not us, by the way. You know, God empowered us to do that. You know, I got to give him credit because I don't want to take credit for that. Okay, but all right, homeschooling, when it's done really well, is absolutely the most powerful way of schooling kids in my opinion, because they get to bond with our values, they get to bond with what our family is all about. And there's another benefit in it is in that we can get a lot of the schooling done during the day by halfway through the day, and then there's time to do other things like serve in the community. My son's learned learned how to weld, and I taught my sons how to weld. They could well by the time they were like nine. Well, they didn't need to learn how to weld. But see, the more things that kids learn how to do, the better prepared and more confident they're going to be in life. My wife taught them how to sew, so we had welders and sewers. Okay, So I mean that's the kind of stuff.
Speaker 4: That really builds a strong person.
Speaker 1: So you got me going on that. I'm a big fan of it.
Speaker 3: It makes sense what you're saying.
Speaker 2: I think it could be done right if you have the resources or the tools for someone to be able to be there and set up the homeschooling protocols and guide the child definitely have his advantages. And if you're trying to excel at a sport or something else, it definitely gives you more time to practice and do that. So it makes a lot of sense, doctor Faith. Thank you so much for being on the show. I really appreciate it. I know you have a love and logic dot com. Do you want to talk a little bit about that because I want everybody to check it out.
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, just go to our website lovel loogic dot com. And that's all I'll say, because if I made any sense during this interview, I'm not gonna be able to stop you from going there. If I stunk it up, you're not going to go So you can be there. You can be the judge of that.
Speaker 3: Well, thank you so much. I love your book. I've shared, like I said, shared it with many people. I appreciate your time and I wish you the best.
Speaker 1: Thank you, Eric, such an honor. You take care, Thank you, bye bye, good bye.
Speaker 3: Thanks for listening. Don't forget to write us a review and tell us what you think.
Speaker 6: If you want to follow us on Instagram, check us out at he said Ajo Orson is an email Eric and Ross at iHeartRadio dot com. He said, AJAB is part of iHeartRadio's Mike would Up podcast network.
Speaker 3: See you next time. Bye,