Speaker 1: You are listening to The Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 2: It's our two on this Friday. It's a meat Friday, sprinkled in with some seafood as well. Oysters courtesy of dug in North Carolina, Carolina Gold oysters, reverse seared ribbas, crabcakes, bacon wrapped scallomps. Who is it better than we do? No body, buddy. Since losing to Northern Illinois September seventh, Notre Dame has won thirteen games in a row, including six wins over ranked teams. The Irish have won three straight games against top ten teams. They beat Indiana when Indiana was ninth, Georgia when Georgia was second, and then Penn State. Last night. Penn State was the fifth ranked team in the country.
Speaker 3: Wow stand a day, Stanleaaday, Stantata Day, Stannata Day.
Speaker 2: This is the stant of the day. Statam to day rochyr Bi Panini America. The official trading cards of The Dan Patrick Show. Good morning, if you're watching on peacock, Thank you for allowing us into your homes and radio affiliates around the country. iHeartRadio Fox Sports Radio. Thank you for allowing us into your cars. Man Holmes or wherever you happen to listen to this program. Gang's all here, Minister of Humor. Fritzi is here, got his Broncos gear, some Notre Dame gear as well, Seaton, Marv Paully and yours truly. But you know, you go back to that game, that loss at home against Northern Illinois, and I'm sure the Northern Illinois fans are loving the fact they want Notre Dame. I'm going a guest to win a national title. So then you could say, yeah, we beat the national champs. You've got Ohio State and Texas coming up tonight, that'll be in the Cotton Bowl. The weather would be an issue. Weather will be an issue, maybe getting to the game. Obviously they're playing it indoors. But Ohio State is favored by six, and according to DraftKings, Ohio State is still the big favorite to win the national title. Even if it's Ohio State versus Notre Dame, Ohio State would be favored in that matchup, all right, eight seven to seven to three. DP show email address DP at Danpatrick dot com, Twitter handle at dp show. Oh my goodness, Pauly just sent me a fill in the blank. WHOA wow? This is an emergency fill in the blank.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I figure with the coaching openings, they'll be filled in next week. Okay, I doubt anything happens this weekend, but I'd like to get everyone here on record, which is what we do.
Speaker 2: Okay. Ben Johnson will be the head coach of the blank Todd.
Speaker 5: The Jacksonville Jaguars.
Speaker 2: See no Connor the New England Patriots. Ooh, I saw where Aaron Glenn, the defensive coordinated with the lines, turned down the opportunity to interview. Thanks, because he's going to be coaching the Jets. Dan, Yeah, well, he knows he's not coaching the Patriots. I think he knows that that's for sure, all right. Marvin ben Johnson will be the head coach of the Chicago Bears. Okay, Bear's apologist, Pauli. Ben Johnson will be the head coach of the Patriots.
Speaker 5: Okay, I don't think he wants to coach in that division against his old team. And Drake May looks awesome. A lot of cap room.
Speaker 2: Didn't they have caproom this year? They didn't spend the money waiting the strike. Okay, Ben Johnson won't be a head coach next year.
Speaker 5: Scalding.
Speaker 2: Mike Vrabel will be the head coach of the blank Todd.
Speaker 1: I guess I'm buying into it.
Speaker 4: New England Patriots.
Speaker 2: All right, seat O'Connor, Oh the read You think Tom Brady's going to be able to steer him to Vegas? By the way, when I said Antonio Pierce was going to get fired at the beginning of the week, I thought he would. The GM got fired yesterday, Tom Tellusco. Can you imagine you're Tom Telesco and let's say you go to work and all of a sudden, everybody's gathering around and you're going to talk about the coaching surge. All of a sudden, you know, he comes in and gets ready to sit down, and then Mark Davis goes not so fast him. This is just for the current coaching staff. His swipe card doesn't work. What is he thinking? Knowing Antonio Pierce gets fired he's only been there one year, and then you're going to get fired once again. This is Tom Brady. This is Tom Brady until I'm told otherwise. It feels like Tom's running this show right now. I'm going to get you now unofficially. By the way, you can't have a conflict of interest where you have the lead play by player, lead color analyst for your Super Bowl team with Fox being involved in a coaching search or drafting or you know, picking a GM that could never happen. Didn't this happen in baseball? Wasn't there a conflict of interest in was it baseball? Oh? Jessica Mendoza of ESPN, she was an analyst for Sunday Night Baseball, She was an advisor in spring training. I think to the Mets and then they go, you got to get up, give up that job. Conflict of vers. Here's Tom who's a minority owner, and he's you know, he's the number one team, the Fox team that's going to be calling the Super Bowl. I'd say that's a little bit of conflict of interest there, Yes, Pom.
Speaker 5: Like Tom has no title. You walk into he has an office at the Raiders facility just says Tom Brady, nothing under it. His business card just says Tom Brady, Raiders, no title.
Speaker 2: AGM or president. Yeah, yeah, I would say that. Well, Well, once again, if I'm Mark Davis, I bring in Tom Brady. It'd be crazy not to say to Tom, give me everything you think we should do. I think this is a good thing, the fact that Brady reportedly reached out to Bill Belichick, and then everybody's talking about the same thing that as of June. First, the buyout for Bill Belichick is a million dollars. Prior to that, it's ten million. Well, the reason is because you know you're going to do all your recruiting nil, all of that. You know, transfer portal you're going to get to June. You have to have a coach in place in the NFL and certainly in college. But you know, the reaction from those at North Carolina are this is a bogus report that Bill Belichick is not going to take a job in the NFL this year. Okay, here we go. Pete Carroll will be the head coach of the Blank. Todd gum chewing in Chicago, dub Bears, take Pete Carroll. Okay, seat O'Connor. Pete Carroll the head coach of the Blank. Nowhere's ville, no okaye players. Okay, so he's still a teacher at USC Marvin the Innermural flag football, Okay, all right, all right, Pauli. Pete Carroll will be the head coach of the.
Speaker 5: If the Bears go over too. It's Pete Carroll time.
Speaker 2: What about Jacksonville? Kind of a rando there.
Speaker 5: At State USC. Really, I'd rather be an adjunct at USC than coach of the Jacksonville Jaguars.
Speaker 2: Just for giggles, they'll say Pete Carroll will be the next head coach of the Jags, And I have no information on this. Just let you know. I don't know if he can surf down there like he I think he still lives in Manhattan Beach, So give him a nice beach community there and I think he'll be Okay.
Speaker 3: Yes, time, nobody picked Jets, Raiders, Saints, no one, no one?
Speaker 2: What do we have any thoughts on who's going to those teams? Well that wasn't part of the blank no.
Speaker 3: But just as part two of like you see the Jets, you have any good feeling on the Jets Raiders?
Speaker 2: All right? All right, then we'll do that. The next head coach of the New York Jets will be Blank Todd Aaron Glenn. Okay, are you good?
Speaker 6: Now?
Speaker 2: The next head coach of the New Orleans Saints will be yea or the Raiders.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I was just throwing it out to the room. I didn't have specific answers. Oh, you put me on the spot. Aaron Glenn's got a history of the Jets, I said, Aaron Blin.
Speaker 2: But but it is part of the game, the fill in the blank. I'm going to suggest that. Yes, So if I say the next head coach of the Saints will be blank, you have an answer until you don't, Okay.
Speaker 5: Vance, Joseph.
Speaker 2: I mean to be fair.
Speaker 7: I just said that Aaron Glenn was going to be the Jets head coach and offered that up Todd, So you kind of stole.
Speaker 8: I've been known to do that once in a while.
Speaker 2: Yeah, just saying it's called sampling. A simple Joe Brady will be the oh oh oh Joe Brady Okay, because he was at LSU and then he was what in Buffalo. Let's go right across the street.
Speaker 5: Remember at LSU he had that weird title of passing game coordinator, not offensive coordinator, like a separate title.
Speaker 2: Well, he was really good as the passing coordinator. It helps if the Saints could have a transfer portal from LSU and get those wide receivers to come there.
Speaker 5: Yes, Tom, what's the future for Spags and Monken?
Speaker 1: We like to talk about those guys and they getting an up coming at coaching gigs.
Speaker 6: Uh.
Speaker 2: Spags got a couple of interviews. I guess I don't know about Todd Munkin. I'd have to ask Kirk Kurtis Herbie loves Todd Munkin. Lou lou An Roumo.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And when you think about it, when you when you are listening to games, there's certain times where there's certain assistant coaches or coordinators who are always acknowledged, always in a positive way. Let's see what Spags dials up for the Chiefs. Yes, Marvin.
Speaker 1: When I was a kid, the first name I heard that wasn't a head coach was North Turner.
Speaker 5: Yeah, he was always up to see what is going to draw.
Speaker 2: Buddy Ryan with the Bears, see what he's going to dial up here? Yeah, Paul.
Speaker 5: A couple of years ago when Clemson was rolling, you know, Brent Ventable.
Speaker 2: Brent Vnable, he was.
Speaker 5: Brent Vennables dialing up a blitz. I heard that more in my house and my kids' names.
Speaker 2: Pet Hervey, he was always dialing something up there. And Bred Vennable's.
Speaker 5: Vaunted Brent Bennables defense not just the Clemsony.
Speaker 2: Oh last hour, I stumbled upon a question and didn't have an answer to it. The most valuable caller We normally do this. I didn't acknowledge one person as the most valuable caller. I would probably I would say James in Virginia because the following he stayed with the commanders through how many years, seven or eight years? He would always hail you know, he was always saying something nice about the commanders when the commanders weren't very good, and he stayed with it. Uh, what does he work for? Ys?
Speaker 6: Oh?
Speaker 2: He works for UPS. Yeah, okay, yeah, I didn't know if it was FedEx or whatever. So he'd listen to those delivery companies. Yeah, he's delivering something to somebody. And I would acknowledge that he would be the most valuable caller.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 2: I did acknowledge also that Bob and Montana kind of tried to buy the vote. He sent me some bourbon, which is fun. I mean, I can be bod, but he sent some bourbon. He sent some other you know, Elvis trinkets, and uh, and Bob and Montana joins us right now?
Speaker 6: Hi, Bob, oh, hey, TP, how about that for good timing. I'm actually just calling you, since you're a fellow Elvis fan. I'm calling for my annual report live from Graceland for Elvis's ninetieth birthday. So it's it's been a great week down here, full of concerts, trivia contest. The only big news today is there's eight inches of new snow and everything here, so it's making the roads a bit of a mess. But hey, maybe if I didn't win the if I didn't win MVC, that's fine. A James of Virginia. He's a great caller. And I still hope you enjoyed the bourbon and the Elvis bourbon, the boots and everything. So and I appreciate the shout out and appreciate all you did for my life last year, bringing me down to Vegas with you and doing the big Elvis thing and hanging out with our boxer shorts backstage. It was a great time.
Speaker 2: Are you able to go wherever you want to when you go to Graceland? Can you go to the jungle room? Can you go to the bathroom where Elvis dne Oh?
Speaker 6: No, So you can't go upstairs. So I tell people that's that Elvis still up there, because you're not allowed upside of anything but everything else. You can go through them and there's like there's like tour guide people there to make sure you don't like, you know, damage anything or whatever. There's a person in every single room, but there's a whole complex across the street with cars and planes and clothes and just everything you can even think of. So it's just it's just a wonderful place to be here.
Speaker 2: So all right, we'll save travels bomb and uh thanks keep the cards and letters coming there. We appreciate that. Nick in California, Hi, Nick, what's on your mind?
Speaker 1: Be Dan?
Speaker 8: Good morning? Dennett's good. Let me hear you man.
Speaker 6: Let's go Broncos.
Speaker 2: Let's go Broncos.
Speaker 8: There we go, say with I got a question for you. I've heard you say on the show a few times. Rookie of the Year Jade and Daniels. There's got to be an argument. Bo Knicks has been phenomenal and they're both in the playoffs. I know Brock Dollars has been awesome. Maybe next poll question, Who's Rookie is Year? I don't know who the fourth candidate would be, but I know between bar Knicks and Jamee Daniels, it's it's almost tied.
Speaker 2: There your thoughts, well, I said Jade and Daniels should be in the MVP conversation from the standpoint of what he meant to a franchise, a franchise that was an embarrassment. They found their quarterback. I you know, I think Dan's done a very good job as the head coach. Like they had to get rid of Dan Snyder. They had to get rid of that whatever that was, and they become They're relevant, They're in the playoffs, and I think that his you know, being a dual threat. Bow Knicks played great. He did, but I'm it's weird. I'm less surprised that bow Knicks played well with Sean Payton than I am. You know, Jade and Daniels. I just didn't know with that team. Now. I thought that they were going to be one of those surprise teams this year along with the Falcons. They were better than I thought they were, and he seemed he didn't seem like a rookie. Brock Bauer is going to be first team All Pro. He's great and he did it with bad quarterback play as well. He had a record setting season. Look, I don't have any say in any of this. I don't vote on any of these. It doesn't matter to me. I'm just saying if you said, what's my opinion, I would say Jaden Daniels because I think he is an MVP candidate as opposed to the others who just had really good rookie seasons. More phone calls coming up. Bill Cower will join us in an hour from now, and coming up next to the head coach of Arizona State, Kenny Dillingham will join us on the program We're back after this Dan Patrick's show.
Speaker 1: Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the nation. Catch all of our shows at Foxsports Radio dot com and within the iHeartRadio app. Search FSR to listen live.
Speaker 9: Hey, Steve Covino and I'm Rich David and together We're Covino and Rich on Fox Sports Radio. Catch us weekdays from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and of course the iHeartRadio app. Why should you listen to Covino and Rich.
Speaker 10: We talk about everything life, sports, relationships, what's going on in the world.
Speaker 9: We have a lot of fun talking about the stories behind the stories in the world of sports and pop culture. Stories that well other shows don't seem to have the time to discuss.
Speaker 10: And the fact that we've been friends for the last twenty years and still work together, I mean that says something right.
Speaker 9: So check us out. We like to get you involved too, take your phone calls, chop it up.
Speaker 10: As they say, I'd say, the most interactive show on Fox Sports Radio, maybe the.
Speaker 2: Most interactive show on planetar.
Speaker 9: Be sure to check out Covino and Rich live on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio app from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific, And if you miss any of the live show, just search Covino and Rich wherever you get your podcasts, and of course on social media.
Speaker 2: That's Covino and Rich. Hall of Famer Bill Kauer will join us coming up next hour. More phone calls each seven to seven three DP. Show operator Tyler sitting by to take your phone calls. Good morning if you're watching on Peacock that's our streaming partner. We say good morning to the Arizona State head football coach. Kenny Dillingham. Had an unbelievable season, took Texas to a couple overtimes before being bounced from the postseason. Kenny, thanks for joining us. How many times have you watched that game?
Speaker 3: Too many? Way, way too many? Probably ten twelve times?
Speaker 2: But what are you trying to get out of that when you watch?
Speaker 3: To be honest, just what tips did they have to give their players an advantage? And if we ever played them again, what could we do to give our players an advantage? I mean nothing more or less than that.
Speaker 2: Do you watch alone?
Speaker 3: I do?
Speaker 2: Do you drink beers when you're want? I mean, you know, can you have a little bit of fun when you're watching this coach?
Speaker 3: Sometimes? Usually when you win, you do that. When you lose, you try to drown in the sorrows.
Speaker 2: But what is it that you could have done? If I say, you get one mulligan? What would you have done differently?
Speaker 3: I would have had not called a timeout on the fourth and one in overtime. I would have let the play eat and it would have converted, and I would have had a time out to say for the fourth and twelve when yours checked out of it out into a cover zero beater.
Speaker 2: I thought you were going to say something about the targeting. No call there.
Speaker 3: I can't control that.
Speaker 2: How painful is that to watch? Because I thought it was you could have picked a penalty either defenseless receiver or you could have done targeting and they gave you neither of those. What do you see when you see that play now over and over?
Speaker 3: I think I see the same thing that everybody sees. H That's just it is what it is. Though, that's sport. There's missed calls, there's calls all There's probably five of their calls in the game that nobody talks about that probably could have gone against us. So I don't like to use those moments as excuses, even though they're the big moments and they're what everybody should talk about, because people only talk about the big plays, the big moments, the big no calls, the big mate calls, whatever it is. But there's a lot of things I could have done better to help our football team.
Speaker 2: If Ryan Day reached out to you today and said, Hey, got any tips for me facing Texas, what would you tell him?
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's on They're they're very physical on the perimeter. Uh, They're they're really good tacklers, and I think that's a great skill. I think it's one thing you see on tape, but like when you see it live, the size and the tackling ability. Uh, it's different. Then I would say you have to have an ability to check when quen yours checks. You can't let queners check Texas and THEO good football plays and uh and not change the look. So you better create a mechanism defensively to check when he checks.
Speaker 2: Okay, explain how you then can counteract when yours is going to check and change to play. Then what is your job?
Speaker 3: So you could have like a dual call. So basically you say we're going to run field blitz and we're going to run cover four and if the quarterback checks, then we're going to change from our field blitz call to automatically changing to cover four. So he made a check based off of field blitz and he wants the perfect play versus that we're now going to a complimentary call. So having a way just like offenses have a way to when you hear kill kill and the quarterbacks say that he's changing calls based off the look. Same thing for a defense.
Speaker 2: But the fourth and thirteen touchdown did he check out of something?
Speaker 3: He did? He checked out of a call in which we felt really good about what we were doing into a call later on the clock. And you know he didn't unbelievable check and then they executed really well.
Speaker 2: What did you think of the Notre Dame Penn Stake game game.
Speaker 3: I think Marcus Freeman's an absolute stud of a human being. I've been going versus Ham since I was at Florida State when he was the defensive coordinator and he was a phenomenal coach then, and I think the way he leads people, I think you can see his guys play really hard.
Speaker 2: Do you have a clock management guy like Marcus Freeman has a guy right next to him? Do you have a guy whose only job is to give you clock management?
Speaker 3: I did. It was Matt Butterfield. He just took the full time special teams coordinator job though elsewhere, so I'm hiring. So if you ever want to hang it out clock management guy, let me know.
Speaker 2: I like the colors and I like the climate. I just don't know what it pays.
Speaker 3: Not what you mean, I'll tell you.
Speaker 2: He's the Arizona State head coach, Ken Dillingham joining us on the program. I'm going to ask Bill Kauer about this. We see this with Dan Campbell other coaches. They create a culture. It feels like you're creating a culture, but I don't know how you go about creating that culture.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I think for us, we pick our players, right, we recruit our players. So for us, it's recruiting guys that are like minded. You know, our three pillars of our program are be a good person. It's very simple to be a good person, make good decisions. It's very simple to make good decisions, and then have more fun, working harder than anybody in the country. So what is our culture? We better recruit to people that when they walk around the building, they have a smile on their face, they're excited to be here, they crack a joke. You know, they have personality because I really think when you get people around you that personality, you wake up and you may have a down day and that person is going to lift you higher than you would have been. And that's the culture we're trying to create.
Speaker 2: First time you see cam Skataboo, you your response is your reaction is what.
Speaker 3: Man this had all those yards? You know he's an underdog. There's a reason for it. But what he's done to change his body and to change who he is. Just as a physical specimen, he's the strongest he's ever been. Least body that he's ever had, fastest has ever been. Mindset's better than it's ever been. He went from a really really good football player to somebody who was top five in the Heisman vote, and I think he should have been higher.
Speaker 2: But so that confidence of just kind of loading him up and just say go like he's gonna he knows he's gonna get We talked to him after the loss and he said, look, I know I'm gonna get hurt. I know it's going to hurt, but I'm going to hurt you as well. Like that kind of physicality. And he said, Marshawn Lynch is sort of, you know, one of his idols or who he runs like.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think Scott just has that in mindset. He gets into he's the nicest kid off the field, super intelligent. People think his play style, oh he's crazy. Scott is incredibly intelligent, high high IQ. And for him to flip a switch into this like no way anybody can stop me mode? And does that mean he's always not going to be stopped. No, Nobody in the history of sports ever been invincible, But it means he believes it so much that he's going to make plays that people are like, what just happened? And every day for the last seven hundred days or whatever, seven hundred and eighty days I've coached him, he has done something at practice or in a game that I'm like, what just happened? That is incredible.
Speaker 2: How often do you go to an opposing team stadium and people question if you really are the head coach at Arizona State?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 3: The way easier question? How often do I does that not happen? I mean I look twelve, so it's you know, when I walk around, it's just part of it. You know, I've been young my whole life, though I started coaching at seventeen, so I'm very used to the fact. I mean, I get stopped trying to walk into the field before the before the peach ball. They're like, you need credentials, go back and get them, and I do it. You know, at the end of the day, the people are doing their jobs, so people don't really recognize me. I appreciate it. I look young when I'm older, you know what I mean, and people will be jealous. But right now, it's just part of it.
Speaker 2: What do you expect to happen tonight? Between Texas and Ohio State.
Speaker 3: I haven't watched enough Ohio State to give like a really really good opinion. I know Texas is going to be really good on defense. I know they're not going to give up big plays. So I think the key to Ohio State, I can. You think the key to the game is how do you stop Ohio State and one of the best wide receivers in college football in a long time. And you can't just double team them because Ohio State's too good to do that. So what are you doing to get the quarterback to think he's double teamed, move his eyes off of him, but him really be singled up? And I think that's one of the hidden things in the game, is the deception of him being doubled. Can you do that enough to single him up and get your hats elsewhere? For Texas and if they can, you know, I think they're both really good football teams.
Speaker 2: By the way, when we had cam on he said he checked out of that that halfback option that I think he said. Your quarterback said he was banged up, don't throw me the football, and so he changed the play. Did you know that?
Speaker 3: Yeah? I did. I saw it live and in person baby and on fourthan too in the fourth quarter, So that was exciting. But he's the same dude that punted for US last year and checked out of a punt versus USC and did this and signaled a wide out to run a slam and threw it to him for a first down. Same dude that caught a toss, scrambled backward ninety seven yards, realized he was going to lose yards and threw the ball away. His football IQ and his savviness is unbelievable for his style of plug.
Speaker 2: You strike me as a pregame speech guy. Really, yeah, I.
Speaker 3: Actually don't give pregame speeches. Our players give pregame speeches. This is a player run program. Our players give the free game. Our players make the decisions. I am literally a surrogate between the leadership council and the players, and my job is to help the leadership council make the best decisions for the football team. But I do not run the show here. Our players run the show. I just help them get get to the best decisions. In my opinion, well.
Speaker 2: Like, is there a cutoff point of what they're allowed to do? And say, like, do they have total autonomy here?
Speaker 3: I mean, if they're going to do something that is bad, I'm gonna say no, we're not doing that, you know. But if I say, do you guys think we should do this or this? And I give them options and they vote, I'm doing what they vote for. If they say, hey, we need a Monday off, we're tired, and I say, you guys know what the repercussions of this are, right, it means Tuesday has to be this. I you guys have to elevate Tuesday to another level and they say yes, I'm like, okay, Monday's off. I firmly believe in extreme ownership, especially in today's day and age, and to get a team buy in, you need team commitment, team ownership, and I think that was one thing our leadership council, the decisions they made, and they could push the team to further, my opinion, further than we thought we could go, or people thought we could go, because there was such buy in, because it was team decisions, not a head coach saying we're gonna go out in practice for two hours and thirty minutes today. In November, it was the leadership council saying, hey, we talked to coach this is why we need to practice for two hours and thirty minutes today.
Speaker 2: Wait, how did you learn this?
Speaker 3: I just believe in trusting people. I mean I leave I mean I shouldn't say this, but I leave my car unlocked like my wife hates it. I just believe in people. I truly believe that if you try to, if you give people the keys, if you truly empower people, and if you get the right people around you and you trust them and you believe in them right and you empower them, they're gonna be better versus of them el and that empowerment is going to take you as a unit higher than you could ever go by me saying run one hundred yards.
Speaker 2: Okay, if your car is gone by the end of the day, I do not blame me.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna lock it now. I'm gonna have to change my entire theory on not locking my car now because I just exposed that.
Speaker 2: Congratulations on all this success. I appreciate it.
Speaker 3: I appreciate it.
Speaker 2: Thank you. Coach coach Kenny Dillingham Arizona State second season and they were three and nine first season, eleven to three in season two. I could buy into that.
Speaker 7: Did we just get a new favorite coach. Oh, I feel like we might have he's there, let's go. I thought that was great, And so he leaves his leaves his car unlocked.
Speaker 5: Yeah, he's got a little Sean Casey, the former Red's third baseman. Than the way he talked to the Energy. Okay, he's great.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no pregame speeches, though he struck me as like his voice sounded like he had kind of lost it or in the regular season, you know, like Doc Rivers always sounds like it's June when you talk to him in October, he's already lost his voice. Bill in Texas, Hi, Bill, what's on your mind today?
Speaker 11: Hey, DP, thanks for taking the call. Yeah, source is close to me with absolutely you know, real knowledge of the situation. Have confirmed that coach Belichick hopped on the private plane and made the tour of North Jersey Catholic schools yesterday. Bochco and Bergen and Joe's and all those guys, and of course everybody put all over social media, and you can tell by the pictures with the coaches the order.
Speaker 6: Of his visits.
Speaker 12: Because his faith and its demeanor, he gets more disheveled and more upset and angry about the whole deal that he has to get on the road and do this stuff. I cannot believe he's going to do this for more than maybe you one year, because it was so striking how miserable he was doing this process, taking pictures with seventeen year old kids, offering them scholarships in North Carolina.
Speaker 11: It was it was really amazing to see.
Speaker 2: Well, I'm surprised that he's on the road. I would go on the road, and Dion doesn't go on the road. Now, you can zoom, but if you want to close, you got to go on the road, because if Bill Belichick comes into your home, you're probably going to close. Be like, I'll be damn be wearing a Super Bowl ring. They'd be like, what super Bowl is that?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 2: I don't know. I have so many forgot which one that was. It might have been one where Vinitaria kicked a game winning field. I don't know. I don't know, but yeah, you got to do it. And I think that's where you see a lot of these coaches who are older coaches who just don't want to do this anymore because you really are selling yourself to these kids as opposed to the other way around. The NFL in some ways is a whole lot easier than college football because there's in basketball, there's just way too many moving parts. You know, when I in the NFL, I draft you, you know, I don't have to go Imagine free agency where coaches had to go out and go door to door. Now somebody's a free agent, I got to go and talk to them. I got to go see, you know, a high school game on Saturday or Friday night or something. You don't have to do that in the NFL. And you get somebody under contract, and you know, so it's in a lot of ways it's a lot easier, and you're able to delegate there. You're not going to booster meetings, you're not going to go meet with the alumni, you're not going to the North Carolina basketball like. You don't have to do any of that stuff in the NFL. That's why I think everybody was surprised. You got to have energy, and look, you can be in your forties and not have energy. It's not Bill's seventy two or seventy three. You have to have energy. Pete Carroll's got energy. Pete Carroll could coach college because he has that energy, But I think he prefers the NFL because I think that's a lot less stressful. We have the most must win game of the weekend coming up. We also have right tomorrow's headlines today with tonight's game that is Seton's favorite segment of the show. Why are we doing that? Well? How much time do you need? How about I give you an hour? Can I give you an hour to write the Fritzie? Can you remind me? I will remind me. Todd loves this.
Speaker 1: It's fun.
Speaker 2: I know this. This makes Todd's day when he gets to write tomorrow's headlines today. All Right, we'll take a break. More phone calls coming up, and the most must win game of the weekend back after this.
Speaker 1: Be sure to catch the live edition of The Dan Patrick Show weekdays at nine am Eastern six am Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio WAP.
Speaker 2: Sources close to me tell me Pete Carroll had a really good interview, and he I think was telling the Bears, look, you're a contender and talked about creating culture, and really it goes back to that. I talk about how there's certain coaches who create a culture, and Dan Campbell I think we laughed, smirked. Maybe some ridiculed the so called culture that he was bringing it, nobody's laughing. Now there's a culture that you have, like the Chiefs have a culture, and it's tricky to kind of say, all right, what is it. It just feels like, let's be adaptable. Let's make sure we have, you know, people in place, so when we have the interchangeable parts, they will fit in. They have a different jigsaw puzzle every year. And the Patriots had this as well, and it's really really difficult to sustain greatness with that because you're not drafting high. You do have some guys you've spent money on. But they decided to move on from Tyreek Hill. That proved to be a very very smart decision. You bring in wide receivers, you change them year to year, running backs, you've changed them year to year. Offensive lineman. But you've had Kelsey, you've had Mahomes, you've had Chris Jones, like you have those cornerstones there and trying to get culture. And Pete created culture in Seattle, he created culture at USC And then I'm being told that Pete Carroll said to the Bears he would hire a coach in waiting to replace him, which is interesting, But I don't know if I'm the Bears organization, how am I taking that?
Speaker 3: Like?
Speaker 2: How long are you going to coach Pete? Three years? And I'm going to have somebody who is going to be an assistant head coach? Now, they might say, well, why are we hiring you? Because if I'm a Bears fan, I'm going wait, why do I want a coach? And then three years from now another coach? Why don't we just go all in on Ben Johnson? Like that would be my thought Ben Johnson's thirty eight. I like the Pete Carroll aspect of this. I mean, I'd love to see Pete back in coaching and that culture that you're going to have, but I don't. I don't like the Hey, I'm going to come in. I'm already I'm going to pick a coach in waiting if that's true. I don't like that. Time to slide into the weekend brought to you by King Sawaii, and they want you to get together with family and friends, enjoy the weekend by making every Sunday a slighter Sunday. Let's see what do we have Steelers Ravens this has more storylines. It feels like then every other game combined like this is crazy. You know, the upside, Lamar gets a win, the downside, he loses yet again. John Harbaugh. John Harbaugh hasn't had a lot of postseason success in the last what nine years. Mike Tomlin hasn't had a lot of postseason success. Russell Wilson Junior, the Third's future with the Steelers at stake here, Like there's a lot riding on this, a whole lot. Broncos and the Bills. The Broncos were listed as one hundred and fifty to one to win the Super Bowl this season. Nobody's going to take them to win the Super Bowl. But could they surprise the Buffalo Bills. You've got a team that can rush the passer. Now, Buffalo doesn't give up sacks, they play great defense. You're probably going to have the defensive player of the Aaron Patrick's air ten. It's I don't want bo Nicks to get into a try to Josh Allen, Josh Allen. I want to just do what Sean Payton one seemed to do. Don't try to do too much here, Packers in the Eagles, man, I don't rule out the Packers winning this game. It's just a weird feeling. I just you know, is Jalen Hurts healthy? Is Jordan Love healthy? The Eagles beat the Packers. That was first week of the season. That was when they played in Brazil. Commanders in the Buccaneers Commanders. How many years has it been since the Commanders, the Washington franchise won a playoff game?
Speaker 5: Paul, let's see won a playoff game?
Speaker 2: Won a playoff game.
Speaker 5: Two thousand and five.
Speaker 2: Give me a year, like the number of years?
Speaker 5: Oh, twenty years.
Speaker 2: Twenty years right now? All right, Todd, what's the question? When's the last time Washington won a playoff?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 6: I have to research.
Speaker 5: I thought Paul just answered that.
Speaker 2: No, I'm asking you.
Speaker 5: Oh, dear, I'm not sure what you're asking him.
Speaker 3: Big. I thought you asked all a question, and he said, twenty five twenty years ago was the answer to your question.
Speaker 2: He's going around the room asking all of us the last time he was giving you the actual answer.
Speaker 6: I'm gonna say.
Speaker 2: It doesn't matter eighty seven. Yeah, I thought he was giving you the answer that you were looking for. It was a quiz. So I often do that Todd, where I go, Let's go.
Speaker 5: You know, I thought he was looking at and gave you.
Speaker 2: Then you probably weren't listening. Commanders haven't won a playoff game in nineteen years. Chargers versus the Texans, this is gonna be a defensive batchup.
Speaker 5: Eleven who eighteen years ago.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Todd. I'm not even I'm not even going over, I thought he answered it. I asked him a question and he answered it. What is?
Speaker 8: How is this on me?
Speaker 2: I would say, don't ever change? But I know you won't ever change. Most valuable least valuable? Dan, what you said?
Speaker 6: And I said?
Speaker 2: What? Sliding into the weekend brought to you by King Zawaiian. They want you to get together with family and friends, enjoy the weekend. Make every Sunday a slider Sunday. Keller in Michigan, He or is it Kellen? Kellen in Michigan, Hi Kellen.
Speaker 4: Hey Dan? Yeah, I appreciate you having me on first time caller, Dan and danet appreciate everything. I wanted to talk about the coaching vacancies. As a Detroit Lions fan, I constantly hear about Ben Johnson and Aaron Glenn having the opportunity to coach these teams. But you know, to me to cement your legacy as being the crew, the band that got the Lions not only to the super Bowl, but the opportunity to win it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, is so much.
Speaker 4: Greater than you know, like ibuy advance and maybe jump ship, but like the lionship is getting ready to pull into and you want to jump off the ships went back to a single island and start over with the Jets, start over with the Bears, start over with the Jags, the Raiders. You have an opportunity to cement yourself in history and the city so much behind them that.
Speaker 2: Well, he's going to be there for this year and hoping that they win a Super Bowl. But you want to be a head coach, but you want the right situation, and those situations weren't the right ones for him last year. Maybe he priced himself out of some jobs. Now it feels like, all right, we're going to win the Super Bowl and I'm going to get a head coaching job. But does he want to stay in the same division with the Detroit Lions. Final hour on the way, we'll talk to the Hall of Fame coach Bill Kauer