Speaker 1: Welcome to the iHeartRadio and Coast to Coast AM paranormal podcast network.
Speaker 2: Now get ready for us Strange Things with Joshua P. Warre.
Speaker 3: Welcome to our podcast. Please be aware the thoughts and opinions expressed by the host are their thoughts and opinions only and do not reflect those of iHeartMedia, iHeartRadio, Coast to Coast AM, employees of Premiere Networks, or their sponsors and associates. We would like to encourage you to do your own research and discover the subject matter for yourself.
Speaker 2: Ready to will be amazed by the wizard of Weird. This is a Strange Thing with Joshua Warn. I am Joshua pe Warren.
Speaker 1: At each week on this show, I'll be bringing you brand new mind blowing content, news, exercises, and weird experiments you can do at home.
Speaker 2: And a lot more.
Speaker 1: On this edition of the show, Tales from the Hearse author David Alan Voyles. This is a particularly special podcast, and that is because the man you are about to hear me interview was my English teacher when I was a sophomore at Clyde A. Irwin High School in Asheville, North Carolina. Now Here is why this is especially weird. Mister Voyles was one of those teachers that everybody loved. He always had a and you could tell that he sincerely enjoyed his job. And when I was his student, he was always truly supportive of me and my writing, and he would invite me to read my macabre poems and short stories in front of the class. He was just a really warm person who actually cared about his students. Regardless, I'm not the kind of guy who remains friends with his old teachers. Frankly, I did not enjoy going to school, as you can imagine. I don't like being forced to live like normal people on a daylight schedule. But you see, over the years, as I got older, I would hear that mister Voyles was becoming stranger and stranger. As he was nearing retirement, he started writing and then publishing creepy stories himself. And then next thing you know, I heard he'd lost his mind and bought a hearse and was driving people all over Ashville and scaring the Bejesus out of him for fun. It seems that once he retired, he decided to finally reveal his true identity. He's the only teacher I know of who has done this, and I thought, what are the chances.
Speaker 2: That I just so happened to be a student of this fella.
Speaker 1: Well, of course, Lauren and I had to take his hearse ride. And I'm joking here. He didn't actually lose his mind. He just decided to start having fun with his lifelong love of spooky things. He started throwing one of the most elaborate Halloween parties in the entire area each year. I mean the kind of thing where you know, he must spend months prepared every year, you know, turning his house and wooded property way up in the mountains into I don't know, like a devilish carnival or a haunted house. You know, various themes. Amazing job, and people come from far and wide have a great time. So this guy, he plays in a hearse. He turns his house into an attraction at Halloween. And he has written numerous books, including one of my favorites called Tales from the Hearse. But he has a new novel about a young Edgar Allan Poe. It's called Edgar, and he's going to tell you about that and more. He's got some strange stories.
Speaker 2: You're about to hear.
Speaker 1: But before I play this interview, I want you to know that his house was seriously damaged recently by Hurricane Helene, and he is currently displaced and maybe for a long time. So in our conversation on his cell phone, you will occasionally hear a little buffering, but not too much, so please understand and forgive that.
Speaker 2: As you know, I don't usually do.
Speaker 1: Interviews on this show, but a conversation with him on this show is long overdue. So here we go. Let's get the scoop on this mysterious man. David alan Voyles, Welcome to the show.
Speaker 4: Well, it is my pleasure to be here. I am thrilled to be able to talk with you.
Speaker 1: Isn't it funny to think that I am probably a good ten years older than you were when you were my English teacher.
Speaker 4: That is that is a mind glory, it really is. That is great.
Speaker 1: You know, you were one of the few teachers that everybody always loved, including me, and it's synchronistic that a guy like you, who is so into dark literature would end up being my teacher for a year.
Speaker 2: But let's talk about your roots.
Speaker 1: Where were you born and raised and what attracted you to the literary field.
Speaker 4: I was born in Charlotte, North Carolina, and I just always had an affinity for Halloween. I loved Halloween. I loved dark things, spooky things, and that I just never outgrew it that that love of Halloween especially is just something that I always look forward to, definitely the favorite holiday. And so even when I started teaching. Of course, I got my degree in literature, but I always gravitated toward the dark stories and loved those. Those are just my favorites, and so the classics of those, you know, worldwide, even I would love to do and work Halloween into my curriculum. You know. We would have semester schedules in high school, of course, as you recall, but in the first semester you have Octo. So that was very easy for me to find some literature to do there, and I would always read a spooky story and do some fun stuff with that. One time I stuck a rat, a fake rat, on the back of my coat jacket and read a story called the Graveyard Rats and had stayed seated the whole time, I remember, before the class was there, so that when I got up at the end of the story to write on the board. They would then see the rat on the back of my jacket at the Graveyard rat story. When I retired from teaching, because of the Halloween and Halloween parties that we'd always had, we had a theme one year of having a ghost tour, and so we have a little bit of property around our house and I could make scenes and I could walk around the property and tell the stories about these scenes that I'd made up. And after that party, I was talking with my wife and my grown son and said, you know, people just love that kind of thing. Wouldn't it be cool to do that on a full time basis and have a ghost tour? But like the walking tour that you have, I thought, well, what if you could do a hearse. What if you could get a small number of people and take them around the haunted places in Ashville and a hearse. Within a year we had bought a nineteen seventy two Cadillac Hearse and we had dark ride tours on the road, and you did get the opportunity to take a tour with us.
Speaker 1: As I recall, oh absolutelyely. I love the entire experience. But you know, before we get to that was teaching your first job or did you have jobs before that.
Speaker 4: No, teaching was my first job. I went into it thinking in high school. I mean from about my high school years, I started thinking about being a teacher and wanting to be a teacher. And this is a terrible thing to say or to confess to, but often later, like when they ask you, I actually got the opportunity to serve as a Teacher of the Year for the county and the region, But they asked you questions like what inspired you to be a teacher, and I'm unfortunately, it's usually this wonderful, great teacher. But I can remember that in the tenth grade, I had a teach and I sat in that classroom. I loved English and I loved reading, and I thought, oh my god, this is so bad. I could do a better job than this. And that was my very arrogant sixteen year old self saying, oh, yeah, I could do this. But it really did become a thing with me. Is like, I wanted to teach, So I knew when I went to college that I wanted to get my teaching certificate and I wanted to teach English.
Speaker 2: And you didn't start publishing until after you retired.
Speaker 4: Right, that's correct. You After thirty years of teaching and doing the ghost tours, when the ghost tours ended because of COVID, I thought, well, this is a good time to I'm going to go ahead and put some of these why not put them together in a book? And I have started out with a series of Christmas horror stories, because you know, after all that Christmas really needs right more horror.
Speaker 1: So.
Speaker 4: I had to do. I did a collection of thirteen stories there thirteen days, thirteenth of Christmas. And I enjoyed doing that and had a friend who was to start doing He was already had just started helping independent writers in the authors publish, so he helped publish that first book and one or two after that, and that it began. But it was not until then, you know, well into my sixties that I started trying to publish. And I just turned seventy this year.
Speaker 1: So now getting back to the hearse and you're you know, like you said, Lauren, and I had the honor of being guessed in that hearse and what a unique experience that was. You were a dressed in this dramatic costume. Tell us about Virgil, this character that you created.
Speaker 4: I wanted to come up with something as a character and for Josh my son, who was the driver of that. We started, you know, brainstorming about ideas and I thought, I thought I'd liked the idea of being this sort of grave digger, funeral home director teller. And then I guess, going back to the roots of you know, going back to Dante in the Inferno, I thought, you know, Virgil, the Roman poet serves as the guide to hell for Dante in that work, and I thought, you know, I like the name Virgil anyway.
Speaker 5: And I've always liked Ray Bradberry's story Something Wicked This Way Comes and the main character there are two boys in the story, but one is Jim Knightshade, and I love the name night Shade and that whole idea that you know, poison and.
Speaker 4: Everything about that. So Virgil Nightshade was the name that I took for that. And my son ended up wearing the garb of a like almost looks like a grim reaper. But he was, you know, tall, and he's just real big, and he seemed intimidating with this half skull mask underneath the cow that and he was our driver, and so he was we referred to him as Sharon the you know the ferrymen of the dead and Greek mythology taking you across so leading people into this darkness. Sing perfect thing.
Speaker 1: When we go back to this break, he's gonna tell you the true weird story called Maggie and the Pig Face.
Speaker 2: Hey do you like this podcast? It's free?
Speaker 1: If so, do me a favor. Go to Joshuapwarren dot com. There's no period after the p Joshua P Warren dot com. Buy something cool from the Curiosity Shop, and also on the homepage, be sure to sign up for my free and spam free e newsletter. When you do that, you'll instantly receive an automated email from me with some free goodies like an online good luck charm and maybe a money magic secret. All that and more at Joshuapwarren dot com. I am Joshua pe Warren, and you are listening to Strange Things on the iHeartRadio and Coach to Coach AM Paranormal podcast Network, and I will be right back. Welcome back to Strange Things on the iHeartRadio and Coast to Coast AM Paranormal podcast Network.
Speaker 2: I am your host, the Wizard of weird. Joshua P. Warren beaming into your worm whole brain from.
Speaker 1: My studio in Sin City, Las Vegas, Nevada, where every day is golden and every night is silver.
Speaker 2: I Gietato Zume.
Speaker 1: His website is his name David Allenvoyls dot com.
Speaker 2: That's spelled d a v I d a l l E n v O y l e.
Speaker 1: S dot com. When you go there, it says dark Tales for bright minds. Let's get back to the conversation with horror author David Allenvoyles. When I was a teenager, Uh, you probably recall I published a book called Speaking of Strange and it had paranormal experiences and just weird encounters that people from the region it had.
Speaker 2: You published. Are you?
Speaker 1: You wrote a story that was published in that book called Maggie in the Pig Face.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: And I don't know if you want to recap that, but I just want to ask you in general about some real paranormal experiences that you've had in your life.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that story, that is so that is such an odd We were living out in Leices, which in an area you know, well at that time I'm in Swanna, Noah now and on the other side of the other side of the county, but at that time that that really wasn't a count and that just enough to kind of make that story a little bit shorter. And I've never been able to understand it exactly or come up with possible good explanation for it. But we had a dog at that time, lived on about seven acres we left at that time. The dogs run everybody did at that point, and that dog would just travel and go all over the place. But below us was someone who slaughtered hogs on occasion. But we had the dog brought up this hogshead at one point just in you know, it's it'd been a fresh, freshly butchered kill, and we were getting ready to have company, and we thought, oh my gosh, this is terrible. I took the thing and pitched it over the fence into the woods and it tumbled down a long hill into a ravine, and thought we were taking care of it. But over a period of time, that dog kept bringing up this hog skull, and weeks would go by, and of course you can imagine how disgusting that was, until eventually it was just this bleached out skull. Well after weeks had passed beyond that, and I'm trying to get rid of it. Every time that dog got into something, some poison or something. I don't prefer not to think that somebody poisoned the dog, but it did get into poison and it died, and I buried it on the edge of the property. We had a long curving drive that led up to a ranch house up on the side of the mountain there, and I buried the dog put the little toys in there, like some people do with their favorite toys and things. And not too long after that, one day I was driving back up that driveway and making the curve back to the house, looking at the grave because it'd often do that. And I saw sitting there and a brown patch of dirt that marked the grave, something white and what in the world is that? And I got out of the truck and went over to look on it, and there was a hog skull sitting on top of her grave. And I have no idea how it got there. My wife remembers that there was another little dog that would sometimes come and just sit at her grave, and uh, and I, you know, it's just it's just really odd to think of whatever might have happened, but it does seem like, you know, Maggie in the face. Josh was just my son. Josh was just a little kid at that time, and he'd uh, he'd referred to that dog it's called as a pig face, and so he when when when it returns the second time, he was like, Daddy, the pig face is back. So that was the essence behind Maggie and the pig face. But aside from that, I haven't had too many experiences. People often say, well, you had this hearse. Did you ever have any experiences with the supernatural and the hearse? Well, I've said often that I'm apparently about as spiritually sensitive as a brick. You know. I just don't ever since any of the things that other spirit sensitives do, and I'd like to, but it just doesn't seem to happen to me. But I have had on occasion spirit sensitives tell me about things that were happening, especially one story about the hearse. If you'd like to hear that, Oh yeah, sure, when we I don't know how long we'd had it. I'm not sure even if we had actually begun having the tours yet, but I knew of a woman and had come to known her, who just convinced me even though I am a skeptic, and I look at this and approach it the way you do. Really you always look at it from the scientific point of view, as if to disprove it and then see what can still be there. So I'm very much a skeptic of these things, but I had experiences with her that just made me feel like I can't come up with any other explanation that there are such things as spirits, that there are connections we can have with the dead. Well, she had invited her over to see the hearse, I think early on after we had gotten it and renovated it and ready to do the tours, and so she came over. We just opened the door, she stuck her head in it, and I guess I should say first, we bought the hearse from a fellow in Virginia who actually was selling it as a part of an estate from his brother who had passed away. His brother had owned the hearse and he had used it as a business and had put Hi Fi equipment in it, stereo equipment, and he would DJ parties. So we learned about that and we had to do quite a bit of renovation beyond that, because it's sat for a long time. But anyway, that's the person that we bought it from. Well, without her knowing any of that history, we opened the door up for her to see her. She stuck her head in and she said, as you recall, we had like there were two rows of seats, one that ran all the way down the length of the hearse and went across the middle, separated from the front seat. She stuck her head in the side door and she said, well, first of all, let me tell you, I'm hearing rock and roll music, seventies rock and roll music, especially Creden's clear Water. Okay, And she said, and there's a gentleman sitting in the corner of where these seats that you've made very happy, very pleased, thrilled with what you're doing with the hearse, very very large fellow, very very huge fellow. But he loves this music. Well, I didn't know it at that time. I didn't know that he had done these parties. But I sent another message back after this to his brother who had survived, who sold us the hurst, and I said, I just got to ask you a question. Did your brother particularly what kind of music did he play? He said, oh, yeah, it was definitely seventies music. But he was a real fan of Creeden Sclarewater Uh huh. And I had seen pictures of him. But I said, and your brother was a pretty large man, and he said, oh yeah, he was huge. So how she was able to zero on those are just not things that you can coincidentally come up with. That just struck me as like, Okay, so I'm glad if we're going to have a haunted hearse that the previous owner of the hearse was at least happy with what we were doing with it.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: That Yeah, that is I mean so specific. When things like that happen, you scratch your head and you say, how could that possibly be coincidence?
Speaker 4: Yeah? I know, you know, and I watch shows all the time. I love watching these shows. But I'm you know, I'm understanding, or I'm at least skeptic enough to go, oh, they could have done thus, and so to find out that information or done this kind of research or whatever, somebody told them that they had to tell them that this was stuff that I only I knew. I was the only connecting point here to those two people that she had no idea who we had bought this from. It was in another state. And as you say, when you had those kinds of facts come up, it's that's a head scratcher. It's hard to say that. Hard to come up with any other kind of justific not justification, explanation for it. Hard to come up with that.
Speaker 1: And things like that just continue inspiring ideas for stories. I mean, you've written a number of books, including your latest novel, Edgar, and let me tell you this is impressive, to say the least, all the way from concept to execution, right to the last page.
Speaker 2: Tell us about.
Speaker 4: Edgar, I got. I had been wanting to write a book about Edgar Allen Poe for decades. The thing that I wanted to write, and I say this in the introduction to the book, I have wanted to do this. There's such a mystery about Poe's death, and everyone has, you know, come up with all kinds of different possibilities, which, by the way, his death October seventh, as we're recording this is still that's tomorrow for us right now. That death has been fascinating of how why did he end up where he did? And clothes there aren't even his Most people assume assumed that he was in a drunken state, because that's what the people that found him thought. But why was he there, Why was he not wearing his own clothes? What happened to him? And I wanted to write a story about that, But this book edgar. When I finally came down around to sitting down to write a book about Poe, that's not the story that came out. For some reason, and I cannot explain it. I just wanted to write a story. I thought, you need to write one about if he was a boy, with the premise of what if all the scariest things that Poe told about in his stories were all inspired by things that happened to him when he was a boy at fifteen years old living in Richmond, Virginia. Wouldn't that be an interesting story? So that's the one I wrote. And I had such fun researching things about Richmond at that time, finding out things about real people in his life that I wanted to incorporate into the story. His relationship with his adoptive parents, John Allen and Francis Allen, what that would have been like. There was quite a bit of tension that he had with his adopted father. All those things I wanted to work in, but I wanted to work in his stories as well. So I took thirteen or so of the stories and reworked them a little bit, but had under the basic premise one of his stories in which there is the narrator of the story, William Wilson, is the story is a doppleganger for the narrator. He sees himself, and this stud covers years in the character's life, making his life miserable. And I said, Okay, that's going to be the premise story. The Eedgar Allen Poe has a doubleganger and it is making his life miserable by causing these supernatural events that will go on. And I can work in stories, parts of post tales into the chapters, but make it one long cohesive tale when we.
Speaker 1: Come back more on Edgar. And then also what happens on Halloween Knight when you drive around in Asheville, North Carolina in a hearse Well, he has kind of a funny story about that as well. I'm Joshua P.
Speaker 4: Warren.
Speaker 1: You're listening to strange things on the iHeartRadio and Coast to Coast AM Paranormal Podcast Network, and I will be back after these important messages, so stick around. Welcome back to Strange Things on the iHeart Radio and Coast AM Paranormal Podcast Network.
Speaker 2: I'm your host, Joshua P.
Speaker 1: Warren, and this is the show where the unusual becomes usual. Well, it's time for the conclusion of my conversation with author David Allen Voyles and we were just talking about his brand new novel called Edgar. It actually, as I was reading it, it inspired me to want to go back and reread some of Poe's stories so that I could further solidify the connections, which and that's one of the great things about this book is that it sort of opens up all of these other worlds of possibility.
Speaker 2: And let me just tell you, I don't know if you've thought about this. I bet you have.
Speaker 1: When I finished reading this, I thought to myself and a lot of people listen to this podcast, somebody out there needs to buy the rights to this book and turn it into a TV series about young Edgar Allan Poe.
Speaker 4: It does. I kind of picture it that way. It wasn't the way that I intended as I'm writing it, but it does flow that way, and it's very episodic. It definitely has these because each chapter, each chapter really is going, is influenced by a particular chapter or a story of pose. And even though it's connected all over, it takes place over one summer. It definitely has that kind of episodic flow. So with a connecting theme of this doppelganger, this dark Edgar that keeps appearing and making Edgar Allan Poe's life miserable.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's it's just a wonderful book, and I hope everybody will go read this. We're going to give out your website to actually go ahead and give it out right now, what's your website address?
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's David Alanvoyles dot com. And I spell my Alan a little different than Edgar Allen Poe. Mine is a L L E end, So David Alanvoyles dot com. We did have one momentous Halloween where it was the only time this really happened, but being an old hearse and somewhat questionable, it broke down on Halloween night with customers in it, and that was unbelievable. We had two or three we had made special tours for it, pulled up into the Unca parking lot, which was one of our first stops, and we knew we were had had some questions about the Hears's mechanics at the point, but we thought, no, we've already got these people book for Halloween night. It seems to be doing okay, and Josh gave me the signal from the front seat, kind of a line across the throat and when he turned around to look at him after hearing a particularly loud clunk, like nope, this tour is over, and we had to pull into the parking lot and tell them I'm sorry, but this hearse's died, unfortunately, and they laughed and chuckled ha ha haa, thinking it was part of the tour, and had to say, this isn't part of the tour. I'm afraid I got to call you a taxi or aneuverer. And we got those folks. They were so nice and so forgiving. One of the couples. We didn't realize it at the time, but we did the same thing the following Halloween and didn't realize that. They told me and they said, you know, we were in that hearst that broke down last year. But we still loved the whole idea of it so much that we had to do it again, and so they got they did it and we got the successful right out. But I will never forget that Halloween when the hearst died.
Speaker 1: One of the nice things about being in the ghost business is that when you screw up or something breaks or whatever, you can just say, oh, I told you ghosts were real this year.
Speaker 2: Oh man, well.
Speaker 1: So that opportunity give us your website once again and anything else you'd like to say.
Speaker 2: The floor is yours.
Speaker 4: The website is David allenvoyls dot com. I also invite people to join me on Facebook for the Dark Corners page. It's a dark Dark Corners is the name of it, which is also the name of the podcast that I have. I haven't been active with the podcast, but it's basically got three seasons that you can listen to. Now I want to come back and revisit and add to that. But the first season is my mention of some of my original short stories. Season two is a novella that's in thirteen episodes called Which Works, and the third season is the novel in thirteen episodes as well, called Wraiths of the Appalachian well.
Speaker 2: David, the clock has got us.
Speaker 1: But once again, you know, I think it's absolutely amazing that I had the honor to be your student. I knew we had a lot in common, but I did not realize just how much at the time. And it's been wonderful to remain your friend after all these decades, and I know you will continue to surprise and entertain us with your amazing tales. So thank you so much for being my guest.
Speaker 4: It's been a thrill. It's my pleasure as well to be able to talk to with you and share those stories with you, and I look forward to hearing even more from your broadcasts as well.
Speaker 1: All right, once again, his website is Davidallenvoyles dot com. Of course, you could just go to Amazon and type in his name, and as a matter of fact, I mean you'll find all of his books. But right now I'm looking at Edgar when Poe's Nightmares began. I'm telling you it's got almost five out of five. I mean practically five out of five stars. It's like, maybe there's a little sliver of white, but it's basically five out of five stars. And that's really hard to get. Nowadays, people are so mean when they review stuff. And the paperback's only thirteen dollars ninety nine cents and the kindle is four ninety nine. So if you like that kind of novel, then you should check out his work. So we'll see what he's up to in the future. Well, I think it would be great if we just continued this theme of tales from the hearse and I just kept telling you tales that are creepy and spooky for the rest of the show. And since it's my show, that is what we're gonna do. And therefore, let me go right to right to the emails that I get. I get some of the most interesting emails from listeners. Here's one from Paulette. She says, Hi, Joshua, the other night, my husband and I were listening to your podcast. We live in the Sierra Foothills, so we are an hour from everywhere, so we listened to you in the car. You were talking about your friend that passed away and how you have a word to confirm so you knew when it was them after they passed. Well about six years ago. So my mother passed from colon cancer. I am an only child and I have three now adult children. My mom was a paranormal sci fi fan for as long as I can remember, and we talked about if she ever died, she needed to let us know she was still around. Well toward the end of mom's life, I had to move into help her. I lived with her about three months before she passed away at home. The next few days after her passing were just a blur of making arrangements and talking with family. After five days, my youngest daughter was in the car with me and she looked at me and said, Mom, I'm disappointed. I really thought Grandma was going to let us know she was around. And I said, well, honey, I'm sad about that too, but I guess it just as it meant to be. We were sitting in the driveway at my mom's house, where I was still living, and as we backed up, my rear sensor went off and in my video on the screen in the car, there was a green digital block showing there was something in the way, and we kind of looked at each other and I got out to investigate because there was nothing there. When I got back in the car, I proceeded to put it in reverse and there it was again, that green digital block. And we looked at each other with delight, and my daughter said, so you think it's Grandma. I said, I don't know, and then I said, mom, get in the car. She went everywhere with us when.
Speaker 2: She was alive.
Speaker 1: I put it in reverse again and well, no green block. We were excited about it and talked about it all day, and later that evening we were in the car again. Back in the driveway. We were telling my cousin about it, and he said, you're crazy. We proceeded to back up and nothing. He said, it was just a fluke, and I said, wow, I really thought it would happen again. I pulled back into the driveway and before I backed out again, I said, mom, My cousin thinks I'm crazy, Please show him what I'm talking about. We proceeded to back up and boom. There were now two squares, one yellow and one green. The square colors represent how close you are to hitting something, and my daughter and I squealed and my cousin's eyes just got big. Wow, he said. Then we continued on our way. It happened one more time after that, and this time there were three blocks, two green and one yellow. You see, my dad passed away when I was young, and my mom's husband had passed several years before, and I'm convinced this electromagnetic energy came from them. It settled my mind about the afterworld, and in a weird way, it comforted me because I believe the three of them are together. It never happened again after that. That's my story, and I believe glad I could share this with you, sincerely, your f Paulette.
Speaker 2: Wow, thank you, Paulette.
Speaker 1: You know what I said, I was going to tell you a creepy story that wasn't creepy at all. That was very inspirational. I love that story, and you know, it kind of reminds me of this idea that sometimes you can perhaps use your car as a ghost hunting tool. I mean, that's kind of what she was doing there. She was using the car as an instrument to sense spirits. I mean, for example, my wife, Lauren is from Texas and her mother used to live near San Antonio, and there's this little hill outside of San Antonio where you can you can park your car. Well, you don't park it, you just put your car in neutral and all of a sudden it will start rolling up hill or so it sings and till it goes up and over some railroad tracks. And the story is that some kids died when their school bus was hit on those railroad tracks. Well, I have an update for you when we get back. But hey, listen, look, I promised you a creepy story, so I'm going to give you one. I'm going to tell you about what one person saw upon waking up. What would you do if you saw this at the end of your bed, perched at the end of your bed when you wake up in the middle of the night. I'm Joshua PE Warren. You're listening to Strange Things on the iHeartRadio and Coast to Coast AM Paranormal Podcast Network, and I will be right back. Welcome back to the final segment of this edition of Strange Things on the iHeartRadio and Coast to Coast AM Paranormal Podcast Network.
Speaker 2: I am your host, Joshua P. Warren.
Speaker 1: And yeah, the story was that this busload of kids back in the day was hit by a train. They all died right there on the train tracks. And so now if you go there and you put your car in neutral, even though you're at the bottom of a hill and the tracks are at the top of the hill, the car will just start rolling up the hill.
Speaker 2: And we did it, and it worked about thirty feet up this slight.
Speaker 1: Hill, onto the railroad tracks and over, and it's really an amazing experience. And they said that if you had talcum powder and you'd sprinkle it on the back of your car, that when afterward you get out and you look and you'd see the fingerprints and the talcum powder of all the little kids. But we didn't have any talcum powder. But the fact of the matter is, I mean, this is what's known as a gravity hill. It's actually an optical illusion. It's an amazing optical illusion, though, because it really does look like you're going uphill, and yet somehow you're not. You're going ultimately downhill. You'll have to look up the physics of that. And they always said that the reason that you would have fingerprints pop up from the talcum powder is that you probably have a bunch of finger prints already all over the back of your car, all over your trunk, and you just don't know it because you're touching it all the time. And so when you sprinkle the talcum powder on there, you see them and it's just you combine those two effects and it's really powerful. But it absolutely works as described. However, I just looked it up and somebody has written here that in twenty eighteen that they redid the road and it changed the physics of the road, so the effect no longer occurs. Ha, how about that? That's kind of sad, isn't it.
Speaker 2: Hey, the concept is cool that you could maybe use your.
Speaker 1: Car as a paranormal instrument. Why don't some of you try out the experiment that Paulette did and let us know what happens in your case. All right, Um, before I tell you this scary story, I can't help it. I just have a little short one here that I just love. It's inspirational. I gotta I gotta squeeze this one in here before I get to this terrifying stuff. I got this message from a man named Utah. His name is Roy. He said, Joshua, I had terrible neuropathy in my left leg, burning numbness and tingling sensations due to nerve damage. But after wearing the Tesla Purple medallion every day, the neuropathy has vanished. After many years of suffering, I can now touch my left leg and it feels normal, no burning at all, simply amazing. I am shocked at the profound results. Miraculous. Thank you, Roy. I don't know if you have ever experienced any kind of neuropathy, but that is a horrible thing and I'm just that warms my heart to know that, Roy, you have been helped by this.
Speaker 2: Thank you for this message. And you know.
Speaker 1: I'm not a medical professional. I'm not out there trying to sell snake oil or anything like that. But I'm just reading you the email the guy got. If you want to experiment with that kind of thing, I believe I still have some of those Tesla purple pendants in my curiosity shop if you go to Joshuapwarren dot com. So I just had to squeeze that one in there. Okay, here is a message I got from a man he said I could use his full name, Joseph S. Peters, regarding an incident in Houston, Texas. Going back to Texas again, he said, the most frightening experience a child could go through happened to me when I was four years old. At the time, I was living with my mother in an apartment that seemed to exist between our realm and a much more frightening dimension. One night, I awoke to find a shadow creature perched at the end of my bed. I stood up in shock while my brain was trying to comprehend the beast that was staring me down. It was blacker than night, with the appearance of a cross between a vulture and a bat. The shadow creature spread out its wings with a span of four to five feet as it cried a psychic screech. The sound was so loud and terrifying that I had tears fall from my eyes before I actually fainted. I woke up some time later and noticed that the sliding door to the closet in front of me was open. On the top shelf in the corner stood the same demonic creature. I jumped up, fearing for my life, begging the creature not to scream that awful sound. I was scared by its screech and was willing to do anything not to hear it again. The shadow beast then flew out of my closet toward me, ultimately paralyzing my body. I could only think this was the end, for surely this bat from hell would kill me. Then, in a split second, it turned around and flew through the door, going out in the hallway. Once it was gone, I regained control over my body and I screamed out at the top of my lungs for my mother, who was sleeping next to me. She woke up and asked me what the problem was. Not knowing how to describe my experience, I told her something was in our house and that it was trying to get me. And my mother immediately looked through every room to find the intruder and returned to the bed, saying there was nothing in the apartment. This was not the first paranormal event in the apartment, nor would it be the last. As for the shadow creature, I can only assume it was a demon. However it appeared to me, and why would it appear to me, I would never know. Before we left that place, long before we could find that out. Now you might say, well, this is just coming from a four year old.
Speaker 2: Let me tell you something.
Speaker 1: Kids are capable of seeing things that adults cannot see, and I remember things very vividly from when I was four years old. As a matter of fact, I've told you this before. I remember I have memories of being in the crib and not being able to talk. My very first memory that I have, I mean, I'm talking to My very first memory was Cookie Monster, and because my mom and dad had bought me a big, blue, furry cookie Monster. And at whatever, I don't know what point this happened to me, but I was a baby who couldn't even speak their helpless in a crib, and I remember very clearly seeing Cookie Monster.
Speaker 2: And I have heard that.
Speaker 1: You know, you're not supposed to be able to remember that far back, but I sure could. Here's a story from Joe in Canton, Ohio. He says, my grandfather passed away in the mid nineteen eighties. We sold his vehicle as we were selling some of his possessions. My mother and grandmother signed the title, and the new owner came to pick up the vehicle. They could not find the car keys anywhere. The house was searched from top to bottom in drawers and closets, on shelves and tables, they were nowhere to be found. A few days later, my mother arrived at my grandma's house and found her to be distraught. My mother asked what was wrong, and she would only reply that she had found the keys. My mother was happy to hear the news and ask where they'd been. My grandmother replied, on the floor in the middle of the bathroom. We certainly would have found them quickly if they'd been their days earlier. It seemed like Grandpa didn't want to sell the car. And now I've read this one to you before, but it's one of my favorites. This came to me from Thomas Kelly, Minneapolis, Minnesota. He says, in nineteen ninety seven, my girlfriend and I were renting a huge, beautiful old duplex in South Minneapolis. My girlfriend worked the night shift ten pm to seven am. I would go to bed just after she left her work, and she would wake me in the morning when she returned home. One morning, she woke me up and asked me why there was a butcher knife in the bathtub. I told her I had no idea, and we laughed it off. A few weeks later, she woke me up and asked why there were bone cutters in the bathtub, and again we laughed it off, as the kitchen was adjacent to the bathroom and the butcher block knife holder was on the counter just outside the bathroom. A month or so later, a similar thing happened. My girlfriend asked me why the bone cutters were in the bathroom sink. This continued for three years, probably ten times. Somehow in the night the cutlery would end up in the bathroom, in the bathtub or the sink, one time in the toilet. One night, the butcher knife was lying the foot of our bed. During our last weekend in the duplex, we threw a party and invited the downstairs tenant and all the tenants, and there was a couple who had lived in the building for years, and when the subject of the landlord came up, we both went white when they told us in nineteen sixty eight, our landlord's mother had committed suicide in our unit in the bathtub with a butcher knife. Okay, let's clear the air and in the show. On a positive note, take a deep breath. If you can't close your eyes. Here is the good fortune tone. That's it for this edition of the show. Follow me at Joshua P. Warren Plus, visit joshuapwarren dot com to sign up for my free e newsletter to receive a free instant gift, and check out the cool stuff in the Curiosity Shop. All at Joshuapwarren dot com. I have a fun one lined up for you next time, I promise. So please tell all your friends to subscribe to this show and to always remember the Golden Rule. Thank you for listening, thank you for your interest and support. Thank you for staying curious, and I will talk to you again soon. You've been listening to Strange Things on the iHeartRadio and Coast to Coast AM Paranormal Podcast Network.
Speaker 3: Well, if you like this episode of Strange Things, wait till you hear the next one. Thank you for listening to the iHeartRadio and Coast to Coast AM Paranormal Podcast Network.