Speaker 1: Also media, Oh what's.
Speaker 2: Getting indicted by the FBI? My several people I don't like it could happen here a podcast about things falling apart, and today this week, well, for the last couple of weeks, the thing that's fallen apart is Tenet Media. This is not related to Christopher Nolan, that we can prove at this exact moment. It is instead a media adventure starring a bunch of assholes that turned out to all be an op by the Russian government, and none of said assholes claim they knew anything, even though they got paid one hundred thousand dollars a video. Anyway, We're going to talk about all that and more today, but I'm going to bring onto the program now my co hosts, Garrison Davis and James Stout.
Speaker 3: Thank you.
Speaker 4: I'm not getting one hundred k per episode here, but if I was, I certainly wouldn't tell the government now that it was actually a foreign government, saying me.
Speaker 3: I would keep tweeting about it.
Speaker 2: Fun fact about both of you guys before we get into this, if you reverse your last names, you sound like Confederate era generals.
Speaker 3: Garrison Stout, James Davis like names. Davis Garrison Stout.
Speaker 5: Yeah, oh yeah, all right, yeah, yeah, that's so that is our secret backstory. We had to actually switch them when we join cool Zone Media due to a Confederate ties.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and the fact that you're one hundred and ninety years old. So Garrison, you want to take us off here.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: So Tene Media was this kind of small right wings startup that hired a whole bunch of more well known content creators on the right wing sphere, from like Timpoole, Dave Rubin, Bennie Johnson, Lauren Southern. Yeah, people who are either just like conservative commentators or you know, in someone like Lauren Southern's case has been like an alt right kind of white supremacist media figure for quite a while. And they put together this little collection of people to make like content for tenants on YouTube channel as well as licensing some of their regular tent And this company was ostensibly started by another right wing YouTuber named Lauren Chen and her husband Liam Donovan. Chen's been like on Fox News News Max, Daily Wire and was employed at The Blaze, where she's no longer employed based on the allocations inside this DOJ indictment. So yeah, it was a small collection not super kind of noteworthy. Honestly, in a lot of cases, lots of people weren't super familiar with Tenet media. I know they also hired like Taylor Hanson, who was kind of one of the first guys to report on grooming LGBTQ stuff like a few years ago.
Speaker 2: That's kind of what was immediately weird about them to everyone who pays attention to this stuff is that their videos did not get a crazy amount of engagement. They were clearly not an established like they came out of nowhere, but they had the money, the money to pay for people who weren't cheap. Timpool, if you don't know, Tim is one of the most profitable influencers on the right wing chunks of the Internet. He's a guy who kind of got his start as a citizen journalist during occupy.
Speaker 3: Really, he's one of these guys.
Speaker 2: All he does is he gets on he reads news articles, he reads the headlines of news articles, he talks about how we're all doomed to left wing terrorism or whatever, and then he makes millions of dollars. He's a frustrating individual to say the least, but he doesn't come cheap. And Hansen also doesn't come cheap. Dave Rubin is not an inexpensive person to bring onto your team. So it was kind of clear from the beginning there's a lot of money behind this thing that seems to have come out of nowhere.
Speaker 3: Whose money is it?
Speaker 4: And that is what the federal government's been trying to figure out. And we have now a better indication on where all of these kind of right wing content firms, or at least this one who is employing some very unfortant people, where they are getting some of their money from. Because there's a lot of money flying around this space. Lots of these guys are obviously filled by like fossil fuel billionaires.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 4: You can look at like the early funding for the Daily Wired that has a lot of money, but for this, for this smaller, kind of lesser known company, how are they paying one hundred thousand dollars per episode to these guys?
Speaker 2: And it's also the Daily Wire definitely started inorganically by getting a lot of fossil fuel money pumped into it. But one thing you have to hand it to them is they built a business that is a functional business, right, they are now profitable in their own regard or at least were there's some evidence their traffic collapsed recently, but you saw you saw them have a growth curve that looked pretty organic for a media organization, which you didn't see with Tenant.
Speaker 6: No, no.
Speaker 4: And it seems the only way to actually pay these millions and millions of dollars to all these people is if you are actually the government of Russia who is starting covert operations that's their words, not mine, to influence the US election by like both talking about like Ukraine, using these mouthpieces, but also just kind of so general division, which seems to be kind of the main tactic. And Robert elected to actually go through some of this GEZ twenty three page indictment and kind of hopefully we can find some of some of the some of the better funnier little tidbits here, because there's a lot of interesting information about kind of the inter workings of some of these media groups and how exactly Timpoole was convinced by a Russian agent.
Speaker 5: Yeah, a Russian agent pretending to be three different people.
Speaker 4: Pretending to be some mysterious European billionaire.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So the document starts with some stuff that I had been unaware, which is that you know, because Russia Today is kind of the first large Russian government affiliated media organization that has been like putting up propaganda in the United States, and the FBI has been watching them like a hawk. And so they quote hear from the editor in chief of RT after the expanded Russian invasion in February twenty twenty two when he describes Russia Today, which has always argued that it's a legitimate news organization, as an entire empire of covert projects designed to shape public opinion in Western audiences. And one of these covert projects it described as the funding of what we now know is Tenant Media. Right, it's described in these documents because their indictments is a Tennessee based online creation company, but it's it can only be referring to Tenant Media.
Speaker 4: As employees have since admitted that yes, it is for sure to Tenant Media.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, there's no doubt about this. We're not like reading into the what the FED said here at all. So they spent over the course of about a year ten million dollars I think it's actually was more like nine point six, but ten million dollars basically just buying these influencers oh my god. First off, things we could do with ten million dollars yeah, oh oh, James, we'd be sailing to me and Maar and on a pale rocket launchers.
Speaker 3: The things that their military could do with ten billion dollars. Sending dude to the front with ass off plates. Yeah, it's anyway. Whatever.
Speaker 2: So the kind of key detail there is how much they were making per one of these dog shit videos, which is about one hundred thousand dollars per YouTube video. That's what Tim was getting. I think Dave Rubin was getting close to just half a million a month to do like a weekly video. So when that is the kind of money we're talking.
Speaker 4: About, and Tim was also being paid one hundred thousand dollars per weekly video as well. He was making one video a week, that was what he decided on his contract, So he was breaking in at least four hundred thousand, if not five hundred thousand dollars a month.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and then they had signing and download bonuses on top of that.
Speaker 2: Which is like even for them, is more than you could get on YouTube for the kind of traffic that they get. That is that is like the top one percent of the top one percent of YouTube creators are making money like that, and certainly no one with the kind of views these teniviity is we're getting. So anyway, Garrison, you've got a clip to play.
Speaker 4: Yeah, here's a clip that's definitely a totally genuine opinion. Not impacted by those one hundred thousand dollars of Tim Poole talking about Ukraine.
Speaker 3: Trigger warning, most annoying man on earth.
Speaker 7: This is psychotic. Ukraine is the enemy of this country. Ukraine is our enemy being funded by the Democrats. I will stress again one of the greatest enemies of our nation right now is Ukraine. They are expanding this war now, don't get me wrong. I know you've got criminal elements of the US government pushing them and guiding them and telling them what to do. Ukraine is now accused a German warrant issued for blowing up the nord Stream pipeline in triggering this conflict. Ukraine is the greatest threat to this nation and to the world. We should rescind all funding and financing, pull out all military support, and we should apologize to Russia.
Speaker 4: Interesting, I wonder what would compel a man to say that huis're curious.
Speaker 3: There's no way to know Garrison.
Speaker 2: So since they publicly launched in November of last year, Tenant Media posted almost two thousand videos that got about sixteen million views. And sixteen million views is a lot for a YouTube channel, but not if you've put out two thousand videos. So again, that's what I mean when I say, like, this is not the kind of audience that you would get this kind of money organically for, right, Like this is was obviously and I mentioned this because this is obviously suspicious to the creators. You cannot be Timpoole is not a smart man, but you cannot work for YouTube the way that he has and not know that something is fucked up with the money, just if.
Speaker 5: You're not a mental arithmetician like myself. That is eight thousand views video. I made a video once about how to use hiking polls, which has around that many views.
Speaker 2: I have a video that I fucked up when filming another video while I was reviewing products fifteen years ago before anyone knew who I was that has more than eight years Like, where's all money, Vladimir, Yeah, yeah, come on, Vladimir, Like I'll there's a lot I'll do for half a million dollars well.
Speaker 4: And I think part of this as well is not just trying to prop up tenants owned news itself. It's making these specific content creators lives more comfortable, because the better that these guys do. That's all that Russia is like interested in, as alleged in this document, right, It's that they just want to make sure that these guys can can still talk about Ukraine as certainly as like this like evil and how Russia is like the traditionalist Christian empire and right wing resistance to globalist domination. But in terms of like just wanting to amplify US domestic divisions in order to weaken US opposition to core government of Russia's interests in the ongoing war in Ukraine. As said in the document, all they need to do is just make sure these guys are having a lot of money, so like their comfortable tenant doesn't need to be like a successful media operation where like they're making more money on YouTube than they're paying their influences.
Speaker 6: That's not the point.
Speaker 4: The point is just to give these guys a lot of money to keep talking the way they're talking.
Speaker 2: Yeah, what was also interesting to me, and this comes from a wired article wired downloaded as many of these videos as they could and then ran them through. This is actually one of the journalistic uses for these large language models. They ran them through like one of those machine learning algorithms to just kind of look at how often different subjects are mentioned, because no human being could analyze that many videos with any kind of like speed, right, And one thing they found is that Ukraine, which you would imagine being the focus of a horrific war that is bleeding Russia's military was mentioned about like a third as often as transgender people. The vast majority of the content was US culture war stuff right like woke is much more of a focus than anything to do directly with Russian military operations or Russian like government, like what you would imagine, right, And the reason for that is that they see it as number one, building a sense of solidarity between American conservative and Russia, which is largely imaginary. I'll be talking about this in an episode later, but like, Russia is not the country a lot of conservatives in the US think it is. But more to the point, it's just sort of stoking division, right, rather than actually needing to change American minds on Ukraine. In much of a concerted way, like if you kind of keep them ginned up and angry about everything the quote unquote Left is doing, they will be against supporting Ukrainian resistance anyway, right, And that's the bet the Russians made, very very astutely, and it seems to be paying off for them. One of the more interesting facts here is that one of the primary contacts, this is one of the people who has been indicted, who was working with you know, Pool and these other creators, is an employee of Russia today with the perfect spy name, Constantine Kalashnikov.
Speaker 3: Just amazing stuff.
Speaker 6: How is that literally their day?
Speaker 3: Yeah? How do they not just change it?
Speaker 2: We call it a Kalashnikov because the guy's name was Kalashnikov.
Speaker 6: It's just lovely. It's just lovely.
Speaker 3: It's beautiful.
Speaker 2: It's breathtaking because if you put a character with that name in a Bond film, everyone would be like, come on, man, it's not nineteen sixty five anymore, what are we doing here?
Speaker 3: But that that's just the person's actual name. It's beautiful.
Speaker 2: So they had a couple of fake personas within the company, but this was a person who like directly talked to the employees of people like Pool, the editors and whatnot without disclosing that he worked at Russia. Today now there's evidence that people who worked for some of these creators in their discords, like Editors and whatnot, saw this as deeply suspicious. Probably the most interesting came from when we now know it was Tucker Carlson posted a video during his trip in Moscow like where he was going to a Russian grocery store to be like, look, Russia has grocery stores. Everything's fine here. His editor in the discord was like, this seems like a little much. What are we doing here? Basically, and the statement made was along the lines of like, you know, this is what the people paying us want us to get out right, which is clear evidence that people were aware of what they were doing to some extent.
Speaker 4: At least among like the tenant media producers, there was a growing awareness of what was actually going on. Obviously, all of the on air talent still maintains that they are the victims of an international conspiracy.
Speaker 3: In a victim pays I guess.
Speaker 4: Oh my god, and no, I think one of the funniest parts is definitely this fake European businessman I believe he's referred to as Edward Grengorian.
Speaker 3: Yes, it was very funny, but we'll talk about Edward.
Speaker 2: Let's throw to ads first and then we'll get back to this, and we're back Garrison. Let's talk about Edward.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: So in the document they talked about how Klashnikov, this other RT person, as well as Tenants founders worked together to deceive commentators wanted to who we believe are our Timpool and Dave Rubin. The point was to let leverage their existing audiences and license their videos they were already making. So together the RT people and the Tenant founders tried to trick Pool and who we believe is Ruben into thinking that the person providing these one hundred thousand dollars per episodes was a European businessman and private investor named Edward Gregorian, which is a wonderful a wonderful fake name. And this was not real person. This was a completely fake person. At some point, I believe Dave Ruben or commentator number one, requested that the founder provide like a profile or an article.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, it was commentator too that wanted to know more about quote, would like to know more about the company. And who he will be working with.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so they asked for like this, like one page profile on like who this guy was, and this was provided and he was described as an accomplished finance professional who had various positions in Brussels and France at a multinational bank, including the director of private banking division and wealth management.
Speaker 2: The one page on this guy, who is supposedly their investor, shows an obvious stock photo of a man on a private jet with his face blurred out face bloods. Yeah, that's what that looks real. Yeah, not sketchy at all. This is this is an actual guy quote. Founder one transmitted the Edward Gregorian profile to Commentator one, who is either Pool or Ruben.
Speaker 6: We believe it's Reuben.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I think that one's Ruben because Tim wouldn't have asked for more details, Honor. About May twelfth, twenty twenty three, Founder one reported to Persona one that Commentator one had a problem with the profile we sent over, specifically the reference to social justice. I think it may be because that's usually a term used by liberals, but we're trying to create a conservative network. Founder one suggested that Commentator one and Edward could simply speak together to clarify the profile.
Speaker 4: Yes, and I know there was a secure call between a Russian atent pretending to be mister Gregorian to Tempoole, and allegedly this other call with commentator one, who we think is Ruben. So there was like conversations between like Rubin and Pool with people like further involved in the actual like espionage parts of this and the actual like you're talking to people affiliated with like Russian spies in order to like sell this lie.
Speaker 3: I did find it very funny.
Speaker 5: Where did you read the section where they sort of did a forensic analysis of the three persona's email accounts. Yeah, no, I'm not far up in doing it yet. So they had three different personas, so all access from the same I P address and had different presenting a three different individuals, right, with three different email accounts. Obviously the DOJ has been able to get access to those EMAT accounts, and they found that the people using those email accounts made mistakes in signing them. So one was supposed to come from PERSONA three that they mistakenly signed to Edward Gregorian, and another time PERSONA one sent a draft of an email to PERSONA to two, which PERSONA two then copied and pasted into an email like the object was extremely poor, it would seem, and it didn't set anyone off to kind of.
Speaker 2: Make that point in terms of, like what's happening to these guys right now? What they've been indicted for is violations of the Foreign Agent Registration Act. Like, if you are acting as the agent of a foreign government, you have to register in the United States. You have a freedom of speech, but you don't have freedom to create propaganda for another government and pretend.
Speaker 3: That you're not right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and so you know, obviously one of the things the Feds needed to indict them is evidence that they knew, specifically they were being employed by the Russian government, Right that like the Russians hadn't somehow snuck money to the people who founded Tenant Media.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 2: And so at one point Founder two gets on the Investor Discord channel to submit one of the influencers, I think it's Rubens invoices to PERSONA one and press for payment of those invoices. On September eleventh, twenty twenty three, never forget, at approximately eight oh seven pm Central Time, Founder two wrote in that discord channel. Today marks two weeks since I submitted the invoice for August. Any idea for the delay. We are signing the large contracts. We need to be certain we will get the funding to pay these people. While waiting for a response, they searched for the current time in Moscow. So jess unbelievable opsec like giving the government absolute knowledge of intent.
Speaker 4: I mean similarly, earlier on in the document quote in their private respondence while working directly for URT pursue into Founder one's written contract, Founder one and Founder two regularly referred to their sponsor as the Russians and for exact honor. About May twelfth, twenty twenty one, Founder two message Founder one on discord, quote, so we're billing the Russians from the corporation, right honor. About May twenty second, Founder one message Founder two on discord. Also, the Russians paid, so we're good to build them for the second month. I guess nailed it on her. About June second, Founder one message Founder two on Discord, Also, I say we build the Russians for the last month, once we're done.
Speaker 3: The extra offense. I wonder if they knew they were working for the Russian government.
Speaker 6: There's a lot more that's just like this.
Speaker 4: They constantly referred to the source of their income, at least to each other as quote unquote the Russians. And then in like outreach to like talent, which is, you know, a generous word to refer to Timpoole and others, they were a little bit more vague, but they certainly made kind of coy references to it in their producer discord beautiful.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, so, I mean the big question here with all of this is, like, did any of these major right wing media figures who have like they got hired in part because they were already doing the job the Russians wanted them doing, you know, building up this kind of hatred that exists on the right over the idea of funding Ukraine and Ukrainian resistance to the Russian war machine. Like all of that kind of stuff is like why these people got brought on anyway. Tim Poole has just kind of been one of the most reflexively anti Ukraine voices in conservative media, and Ruben is very effective at getting Americans to hate other Americans, Like he's one of the big kind of anti trans culture warriors out there. Did O Hansen Like that's why they wanted these guys like they wanted to encourage them basically to keep it up. And you know, the question then is what did these guys know and when did they know it? And the bigger question because I have my suspicions, and my suspicions are a lot and immediately, but none of that is in this indictment obviously. And the big question then is is the federal government going to attempt to prove anything like do they want to actually go after these guys?
Speaker 3: And I don't know.
Speaker 2: My guess is not, because there very rarely are consequences for these people. But I'm curious to what y'all think.
Speaker 6: No, it's it's it seems not.
Speaker 4: I'm both both Pool and I think three others have made statements saying that they've been contacted by the FBI as a potential victim of a crime and that they will be happy to assist the FBI investigating this matter.
Speaker 2: Now, that doesn't mean the FBI isn't necessarily looking into them, because that's all which the FBI would use if they suspected them. But yeah, my guess is that they lawyered up.
Speaker 4: Absolutely. It was funny both in there in Betty Johnson's and Timpole's immediate statements. They called this elk DOJ indictment, which is not true. It was not leaked, it was just unsealed.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they just arrested people. Yeah, I'm very sure there's a press release.
Speaker 4: Like Also, one of the final posts from Tenant Media, I was talking about how this woman named Lauren's son was charged with acting as an agent of the Chinese Communist Party. Quote he or she is talking about DEI? Why would the Chinese government want to push a DEI in America?
Speaker 5: Oh?
Speaker 4: Yeah, this is This is I think one of one of the final Twitter posts before their account got taken down.
Speaker 3: Yeah, beautiful. Their Rumble account is still live and kicking. Yeah. Oh thank goodness that out.
Speaker 5: Also, can we talk about their graphic design just for a moment, because it is dog shit? Yeah, Tenant Mediums, Tenant Yeah, like, have you I don't know, have you? Have you been on their Rumble account? Garrison, you know, I can't.
Speaker 4: I can't say I have been on their Rumble account as of as of recent.
Speaker 3: The last time I looked at Rumble it was their booth at the rnc OW.
Speaker 5: Let me tell you they're back and genuinely some of the most like deranged. It's just it's extremely busy, it's very nineties like, it's a lot of bright colors.
Speaker 2: I mean.
Speaker 4: The clearest indication to me that this was absolutely a Russian op is that the company described itself as quote a network of heterodox commentators that focus on Western political and cultural issues.
Speaker 2: Definitely Russians. Definitely Russians.
Speaker 6: You're like, oh, I wonder who wrote that? Who whatever?
Speaker 3: Describe themselves.
Speaker 2: Tim Poole had never even seen the word head of Redox before.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's crazy, it's wild.
Speaker 5: Yeah, they put multipolar into a theosaurus and that's what they came up with.
Speaker 6: It's crazy.
Speaker 3: It is interesting.
Speaker 2: One of the things in this indictment that I did find kind of worth talking about is that it specifically notes that folks at Russia Today when they were because they were largely deplatformed after the expanded Russian invasion in twenty twenty two early twenty twenty two, and the indictment quotes the editor in chief of Russia Today being like, but it's fine because we were able to rebuild our following on Twitter. So I don't know if you, just in case you had any questions about like what Elon Musk's reforms at Twitter have accomplished. One of them is that we should probably roll to ads again. And then, Garrison, you had a very fun document you wanted to take.
Speaker 4: Us through, yes to kind of talk about why they might be doing some of this. There was one other document that was unsealed that kind of kind of sheds a light on Russia's exact focus on influencing US politics.
Speaker 2: Well, that's great, speaking of influencing US politics. Our advertisers probably don't.
Speaker 3: And we're back.
Speaker 4: There's another document called Exhibit nine to A, which is originally in Russian and this translated Coffee is provided in this PDF, and this appears to be some kind of instructional manual for why exactly people are going about this, why exactly is Tim Poole and all these others getting paid to talk about what they talk about, And then it also kind of explains like tactics and like how to actually go about it. So the first bit of this of this document, they just start talking about like the US two party system, which is really funny, and they primarily explain the two party systems differences as being like the way that they affect that the US political party B or Democratic Party includes people of color and quote unquote supporters of affirmative action and reverse discrimination, i e. Infringement on the rights of the white population of the United States. And then meanwhile, the Republican Party are victims of discrimination by people of color unquote. So that's how they kind of frame the US two party system is that there's these poor white people being oppressed by wokeism. They end this little introduction on the two party system by saying, quote, a key characteristic of the American media is it skew towards the Democratic Party's influence. While society is split between supporters of the new globalist socialism and traditional values, the media is democrat by over seventy five percent. Situation for the Republicans is made complicated by the censorship on social media and Democrats oriented new media. So some kind of weird phrasing there because it is being translated from Russian. But they're talking about how liberalism is inherently biased in media and that's something that promoted while being racist and being a Republican is something that is harder to get paid for by big media to talk about. And that's why they have this campaign, which they title Gorilla media campaign in the United States. They justify this by saying that there is no pro Russian and or putin mainstream politicians or succinctly large numbers of influencers and voters, and this is one of the things they're trying to do. Another quote is that Americans are quote dissatisfied by the dramatic decline and center of living and large expenditures of offensive policy in the United States, in Europe and Ukraine. They are afraid of losing the American way of life in the American dream. It is these sentiments that should be exploited in the course of an information campaign in the United States. Smart The campaign topics used in their Gorilla Media campaign are included here. The first ones encroaching universal poverty. Number two is the risk of job loss for white Americans, for people of color, perverts and disabled, constant lies of the Democratic Party administration, the threat of crime coming from people of color and immigrants, including new immigrants from Ukraine. Overspending on foreign policy at the expense of interests of white US citizens. Constant lies to the voters by the Democrats in power. Last, but not least America is suffering a defeat despite liberals' efforts. We are being drawn into the water. Our guys will die in Ukraine. The target audience of their campaign is listed as Republican voters, Donald Trump supporters, supporters of quote traditional family values, white Americans representing the lower and middle class.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, it's one of those things. It's frustrating that it is working. Yeah, to be quite frank, it's exactly what the Russiagate conspiracy theorists have been saying for years. Unfortunately, Yeah, unfortunately, and like a shitload of people on the left have just been mocking them endlessly, in part because they've bought a lot of this propaganda.
Speaker 4: And this is certainly different from the way they were going about it in twenty sixteen, right, And this isn't absolutely yeah, like this, this isn't the same like Facebook stuff they're doing, although Tenant did did have Facebook accounts. These are like weaponizing these people that have gotten big on YouTube and other platforms for talking about the same type of things that Russia kind of wants them to talk about, and it's just making sure that they have the ability to do so. Kind of Lastly, in this information doc They talk about kind of like where you can spread this disinformation, It says here quote on Facebook, Twitter, and YouTube. We need to create multiple perishable accounts, primarily for the work with comments. Websites should serve as the sources of information for dissemination and for video content YouTube accounts with a relatively small number of subscribers and commentators unquote. The list of information products can be disseminated includes texts of posts, comments on social media, memes including cariactures and collages, and video content including news stories in the Fox News style. They then propose creating a quote unquote project office to run this style of like media campaign. This consists of three segments monitoring US media and social media accounts of Republican politicians, a text factor with a minimum of five to four main topic based recommendations including about ten basic posts on social media and forty to sixty comments, and then managing an editorial office with a daily output of three to four pictures and memes, and a video editorial office with a daily output of three to four videos per day.
Speaker 6: Quote.
Speaker 4: In order for this work to be effective, you need to use a minimum of fake news and a maximum of realistic information. At the same time, you should continuously repeat that this is what's really happening, but the official media will never tell you about it or show it to you.
Speaker 3: Quote.
Speaker 2: So, I mean, like part of what's frustrating about this number one is just like they clearly have watched Alex Jones, and like, I've learned a great deal from how he's done this, which, unfortunately something Alex used to claim about putin.
Speaker 3: That fuck maybe he was right.
Speaker 2: But the bigger, more frustrating point to me is that like, oh, they didn't need to do any of this at all, Like this was all working just fine without them directly getting involved.
Speaker 3: This way, I kind of am intro.
Speaker 2: I think it's probably just a reaction to the fact that they had a lot of their more traditional stuff get deplatformed after February twenty twenty two. Yeah, but like this was all stuff the right was doing organically in their media without Russian money.
Speaker 3: They didn't need this.
Speaker 4: They certainly are trying to kind of rebuild some of their like directabilities influence after like RT got deplatformed. The other part that's interesting to me is because like this indictment focuses on like Tenet media as being kind of one of these video editorial offices that with a daily output of three to four videos a day. Like that that's what this that's what this kind of guy to describes, That's what tenant is this evidence. Stock also talks about how like they're also just like faking engagement, getting like sixty comments per day on various social media posts on political topics. So that also like points towards like a lot of people like driving like discussions and trying to like increase the actual like visibility and engagement is being boosted by this like non authentic interference. A lot of videos will go viral not just because they had a lot of people watch them initially, it's because they have a lot of engagement in like the comments, and that's what's going to push something to actually show up more people's feats. Like that is how Twitter currently works. There's a degree to which that's how things work on YouTube. So it's also just trying to to try to like engineer virality by faking a certain amount of engagement. Yeah, there's also like that that degree of like interference beyond just actually you know, paying for Tim Poole to talk about Ukraine and talk about how gay people are evil once a week.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 2: I think that's probably all we've got to say about this for right now. This is not the most surprising news in the world. It is good that it's embarrassing some of these guys.
Speaker 3: I don't know that.
Speaker 2: I think it's actually going to hurt their listenership at all. The people who listen to them don't really care.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they'll lie out of it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they'll find some way to bit and to make themselves the victim out of it.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: They will not have any reflection that there was a whole Russian operation to identify like influencers to scout for that would serve Russia's purposes. That they will never reflect on why they specifically were scouted for. No, Yeah, they will never reflect that. The only bit of like, the only bit of hesitation that they had to take this money was that the profile for the think businessman mentioned to social justice. That was the only thing that they like protested. That's the only thing that they actually wanted to look further into was the fact that he listed social justice is something he cares about, and not the fact that he just doesn't exist at all.
Speaker 6: This is a completely fake person.
Speaker 4: They were able to flag social justice but not flag that he just did not exist.
Speaker 5: It.
Speaker 4: None of this will cause any kind of recollection because these guys don't care. Like the reason why they say what they say is because they can make five hundred thousand dollar a month extra saying it. So imagine how much money they're already making. Yeah, Like that explains why they're doing what they're doing. Like they don't care what they say anymore. They make such a ridiculous amount of money that it doesn't matter.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and that's what it's always been about. Like they have never believed in anything.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they don't need to like reflect on any of this because they're still making tons of money. They're making slightly less than they used to now that Russia's not paying them, but they are still making tons especially like if this is what they thought like the going price was, like they suggested these amounts, like they this is like the regular price for them, and that kind of points towards how much money is flying around this right wing medio ecosystem.
Speaker 3: Yep, great good stuff.
Speaker 5: Yeah, the last couple of videos were focusing on this ridiculous lie that migrant's taken over an apartment complex in Colorado, Like all this shit that just isn't true that they've been able to make true. I don't know, it's so frustrating. I find it's so frustrating. Also, how like Pool has been able to run this line, Like the media won't tell you this because there are things that legitimately our neoliberal establishment media completely ignores, and like that leaves the door open for this kind of shit, and as a result, people can fill that space with lies, as we're seeing here.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Well, so the next time you get contacted by a shady man on WhatsApp to pay you five hundred thousand dollars about talking about how gay people are evil, you might want to check to see if he's actually a Russian agent first. You just you might want to do a little a little bit of work.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they have to tell you. It's like cops. You just ask him that they have to tell you, you know what, Just send him my way. That's exciting new content news for you, guys.
Speaker 4: I will not get paid by Russia to lie. I might get paid by like Sweden, you know, to like advance Swedish interests.
Speaker 2: Maybe there's a number of most countries I would lie for. Besides that aren't Russia. Yeah, would I would lie for like Japan? Probably No, that could get dark.
Speaker 3: Actually yeah, yeah, I leave that one out.
Speaker 6: Bro Sweden, Sweden's perfect, No, it's scarce.
Speaker 2: I think you're underestimating the kind of shit Sweden gets up to.
Speaker 6: Oh no, they're certainly evil. They're certainly evil.
Speaker 4: But in terms of like a very like milk toast country to get paid to increase their foreign interest, then I think Sweden's about as good as you're gonna get.
Speaker 6: Like, come on, like hungry, come on, come.
Speaker 3: On, Switzerland.
Speaker 2: You know all the Switzerland you would you would quickly get implicated, but they could pay.
Speaker 6: All the financial all the financial price.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Robert and I received material benefits from the Burmese PDF. We both had a nice lunch from them, and that has been what we've done all our coverage. It's time for us to come clean now.
Speaker 2: We did, although you did get very sick afterwards, sonvably sick, and you lucked me out of the toilet, So yeah, that was pretty funny.
Speaker 4: What it's time anyway, Rip Tenant Media, you were a big one.
Speaker 3: We'll be back tomorrow.
Speaker 1: It could Happen Here as a production of cool Zone Media. For more podcasts from cool Zone Media, visit our website coolzonemedia dot com or check us out on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to podcasts. You can find sources for It could happen here, updated monthly at coolzonemedia dot com slash sources.
Speaker 6: Thanks for listening.