Speaker 1: This show contains mature content and adult themes. It may not be suitable for young audiences.
Speaker 2: I'm in Cheviat Hills Park on Pico Boulevard in West LA. Across the street is the West Motor Gate into the twentieth century Fox Studios. There's a wall covered in posters promoting the studio's latest movies and television shows. Beyond the wall there are sound stages and production offices. One of these is Building eighty eight, the former office of the studio's founder in production chief, Daryl Zanak.
Speaker 3: He greenlighted dozens of films at.
Speaker 2: Fox, many won Oscars, and many more were box office hits, but he also had a dark side. He may have been the most frequent abuser the casting couch Hollywood has ever known. In today's episode of Variety Confidential, We'll use Varieties archives to unearthed all the terrible things that Darryl Zanik was accused of doing way back in the golden age of Hollywood. From Variety and iHeart Podcasts, I'm Tracy Patnan. This is the secret history of the casting couch. Today's episode four o'clock Girls with Me Today is Matt Donnelley, Variety Senior entertainment and media writer.
Speaker 4: Hi, Matty, thanks so much for having me.
Speaker 2: Well, it's great to have you here, and I'm excited to get your Hollywood perspective and insights.
Speaker 4: I think it's really important that we look back at, you know, sort of these moguls and a lot of their predation and behavior that has been so prevalent in the past couple of years. Especially, you know, we have Variety been very dedicated to covering me too, and it's ramifications for everyone. So I am excited to sort of look back and see where this all began. And thank you for making such wonderful use of our archives.
Speaker 3: Indeed, we need them.
Speaker 2: Let's go back in time to the twentieth century Fox Lot. On an afternoon in nineteen thirty eight, on the topp floor of the executive offices in Building eighty eight, a young woman, let's call her Mary Evans, sits in the waiting room outside the office of the studio chief. She's young and attractive, dark haired, with bright blue eyes, barely twenty years old. She only recently moved to Los Angeles, and her dream is to become a movie star. Unlike thousands of other wannabes, however, Mary has landed a contract with twentieth century Fox, just like Betty Grables, Sonya Hanny, and Shirley Temple. She's only a day player now, and she knows that her shot at stardom depends on what happens at this audition. Finally, the secretary gets the call and Mary may go in. The office is dimly lit, large and wood paneled. Every paintable surface is done in a shiny, dark green. The wall behind the desk is covered in trophies from safaris with zebra skins and antelope heads. She hears a toilet flush A few seconds later. F Xanik, the founder and head of production at twentieth century Fox, comes out. He's shorter than Mary imagined, about five foot six, trim and fit. In his mid thirties. He has a mustache and thinning salt and pepper hair. This cigar clamped in his jaw juts upward. Xanik smiles, but not in a friendly way. He meets her in front of the desk and looks her up and down, eyeing her figure like this wolf devouring its prey. Then he asks her to turn around. She makes a graceful spin. He says, so you want to be in pictures very much, She says, mm, so do a lot of other girls, you know, he says. He motions her to follow him. They go into a small room off a hallway behind his office. There's a day bed against the wall. He invites her to sit, closes the door and locks it. Do you have experience, he asks? She rattles off the roles she played in college and summer theater back East. While she's talking, he turns his back to her, fumbles with his front, and then turns around and faces her. Mary is shocked, but not surprised he has exposed himself. She's heard all about Darryl Zanik from other actresses, and she knows that her future at Fox is on the line, and she has a decision to make. Dozens of others have had to make the same choice, as dozens more will have to after she's gone. She can walk away from Xanak in the career she's dreamed of, or she can stay and give Zanik what he wants.
Speaker 4: Now, I've never heard about this Mary Evans, which I'm sure there are many, But tell me, did you say yes or no?
Speaker 3: Okay? Full disclosure.
Speaker 2: Mary Evans is a fictional version of dozens of women who were called into Daryl Zanik's office for auditions, and there's circumstantial evidence that many, maybe most, of these women complied and had sex with Darryl Zanik. He held these auditions so often that his colleagues came up with a name for the women he coerced. They called them four o'clock girls. Zanic himself is said to have called them studio whores.
Speaker 4: You know, sadly, this is the story we've heard so many times throughout Hollywood's history, and shockingly, even in our contemporary landscape, this has post me too. This is after the massive proliferation of social media, and somehow this behavior is still persistent.
Speaker 3: Believe me.
Speaker 2: I know, I've been doing a lot of research on these guys, and it's unbelievable what they got away with back then.
Speaker 4: How prevalent would you say this kind of behavior was among moguls of that era?
Speaker 3: It was very, very prevalent.
Speaker 2: I'm sure you know that the studios dominated the industry in those days. The Big five were MGM, Columbia, RKO, Fox, and Paramount, and of the five, four of their moguls have been accused of abuse Louis B. Mayor at MGM, Harry Kohane at Columbia, Howard to Use at RKO, and Xanik at Fox.
Speaker 4: I've heard many of the Mayor stories over the years. What's his deal?
Speaker 3: Well, Louis B.
Speaker 2: Mayor is probably the best known mogul of that era, maybe because his name is in the brand. MGM stands for Metro Goldwyn Mayor. I'm sure you know that by nineteen thirty seven he was the highest paid man in America, and he believed that the movie should represent a sanitized version of reality. He once said, no Mayor picture will have bedroom scenes, even where the couples are married. But there are conflicting accounts when it comes to his treatment of women. One friend of his said LB couldn't get laid in a whorehouse, and a producer at MGM said Mayor was like a bashful boy. It wasn't until after he was fifty that he realized sex could be fun. On the other hand, according to Get Happy the Life of Judy Garland by Gerald Clark, Mayor allegedly groped Judy Garland when she was a teenager and held meetings with her seated on his lap.
Speaker 3: And his hands on her chest.
Speaker 4: My god, that story just every time you hear it, it just still hits the same horrible abuse of her and so many other women. Well, tell me about Harry Cone at Columbia.
Speaker 2: By most accounts, Cone expected sex from women in exchange for movie roles. He even installed these secret passages into actresses dressing rooms to give him easier access to them. He also had this strange habit of opening a woman's mouth with a pencil before he had sex with her to inspect her teeth like he was sizing up a horse. And when Rita Hayworth, one of his biggest stars, refused to sleep with him, he had her stocked and even bugged her dressing room. She said Cone was a monster. He was also obsessively controlling. There's a famous story about his interference in a relationship between his blonde star Kim Novak and ratpacker Sammy Davis Junior. Cone ended the relationship by reportedly putting a mob hit on Davis.
Speaker 4: That sounds like an entire different podcast episode. By the way, do you know the mafia term for killing a celebrity, and that's called excellent cadaver? To Steph why I So let's move on to Howard Hughes, who was known as the richest man in America at that point. When did he get involved with Arkao So?
Speaker 2: Hughes bought RKO's studios in nineteen forty eight and then spent the next few years running it into the ground. He was known for praying on underage girls. One of them was sixteen year old Ida Lupino. She survived, however, and went on to have a big career as an A list actress and one of the few women directors in the nineteen fifties and sixties. When Ava Gardner refused to marry him, Hughes hired detectives to stalk her. She finally put a stop to it by knocking him unconscious with an ashtray. He was obsessed with collecting young actresses. He'd sign them to these long term contracts, but he never gave them work. Instead, he'd stashed them in mansions and luxury apartments under the control of handlers.
Speaker 4: You know, it really makes me reconsider the title of that Warren Baty movie he spent twenty years making about Hughes, called Rules Don't Apply. Well, he sounds like a fantastic gentleman. So let's go back to Xanik.
Speaker 2: Yes, Xanik, and here's a little of his backstory. He was born in Wahoo, Nebraska in nineteen oh two, but moved to la with his mother when he was eight. In nineteen seventeen, when he was fifteen, he lied about his age and enlisted in the Army. He served in France during World War One. After the war, when he was seventeen, he moved to New York to become a writer, but he had little success and eventually moved back to Los Angeles. After working a series of odd jobs, he sold a story to the Fox Film Company for five hundred dollars that's about eighty five hundred dollars today. In January nineteen twenty four, Xanik married Virginia Fox, an actress who had success in silent films. The Xanix would have three children, two daughters, Darylynn and Susan, and his son Richard, who would become a successful movie producer himself. He produced Jaws, Driving Miss Daisy, and Cocoon, among many other films, and later that year Zanik was hired to produce Warner Brothers popular Rin Tin Tin movies. Their star was a German shepherd who in real life had been rescued by an American soldier on a World War One battlefield. The movies were hugely profitable, and the series put Xanik on the map in Hollywood, and three years later he was promoted to head of production at Warner's. His salary went up from one hundred and twenty five dollars a week to five thousand a week, which would be about ninety thousand dollars per week today. In nineteen twenty eight, he was the supervising producer on The Jazz Singer, the first full length film recorded with sound. It had music singing and the famous line you ain't heard nothing yet. But Warner Brothers was tightly controlled by its owners, the four Warner Brothers. Xanik was ambitious, and it became clear that the Warners would never make him a partner. He resigned in nineteen thirty three and went into business with Joseph Skank, one of the most powerful moguls in early Hollywood. Together they founded the Twentieth Century Company Film Studio. As part of the deal, Zanik took home a huge paycheck. Variety reported on April twenty fifth nineteen thirty three that he'd quote knocked off one hundred thousand dollars bonus about two point three million dollars today. Zanik went right to work. He produced eighteen movies for twentieth Century Films in just eighteen months. All but one of them was a success. Two years later, Xanik and Skank merged Twentieth Century with the Fox Film Corporation. The Fox Company was formed in nineteen fifteen by William Fox. It was successful for many years, but by the mid nineteen thirties it was struggling. In Variety Dies report on the merger on May twenty ninth, nineteen thirty five, it noted that Skank would serve as chairman of the board and Xanik would oversee production as vice president. Fox had something that twentieth century desperately needed, infrastructure. It owned a three hundred acre studio on Pico Avenue where the Fox Lot is still located today.
Speaker 4: So by the times on it gets to the Fox Lot, was he already sort of notorious for this casting house behavior.
Speaker 2: Well, what we know is he was having extramarital affairs, but they were hookups, nothing long term or serious. And we also know that his wife, Virginia, was aware of them. Early on in nineteen twenty six, on a trip to Europe, she heard him on the street below their hotel room talking with a woman, so she grabbed a flower pot, threw it off the balcony and hit him in the head.
Speaker 4: There should be a statue for her on that lot, I think so.
Speaker 2: Virginia eventually accepted that Daryl had women on the side and invited a few of his famous lovers and their husbands, believe it or not, for weekends at the Xanik's estate in Palm Springs.
Speaker 4: Talking about four o'clock girls. In general, this level of abuse is just so hard to fathom, but perhaps not in our current landscape. How solid is all the reporting from this.
Speaker 2: Era, Well, there is definitely some myth making going on here, and most of what we have is anecdotal, and like it always is with these kinds of stories from Hollywood, they may have been embellished over the years. For example, Milton Spurling was a source with firsthand knowledge about what went on. He worked closely with Xanik for years and here's what he said. Every day, at four o'clock in the afternoon, some girl on the lot would visit Zank in his office. The doors would be locked after she went in, no calls were taken, and for the next half hour nothing happened. Headquarters shut down. Around the office, work came to a halt for this sex siesta. But later Spurling backtracked on that a bit. He said it wasn't real every day, but it happened often enough. A producer at Fox claimed that Xanik had given every actress under contract at Fox of four o'clock audition treatment. That's an exaggeration. We know of a few who rejected him and then went on to have successful careers, But the thing is those careers usually happened at a different studio.
Speaker 4: So who are some of the women that had to suffer this abuse from Xenak that we would know? Well.
Speaker 2: Some of the big stars included Barbara Stanwick, Judy Holiday, Betty Grable, Marilyn Monroe, Carol Landis, and Joan Collins.
Speaker 4: I love Barbara Stanwick. She's got so many great films like The Lady Eve, Double Indemnity, Meet John Doe.
Speaker 2: Yes, and she said Xanik chased her around his office and attempted to rape her. Barbara Stanwick was one of the few big stars in the Golden Age who never signed a long term studio contract. She worked for Fox a few times, including once in nineteen thirty eight, and it is possible this incident occurred then.
Speaker 4: So what about Judy Holiday? She was usually typecast as the ditzy blonde.
Speaker 2: Yes she was, and the irony there was that she had an IQ of one hundred and seventy two, which qualified her as a genius. Her encounter with xanik was in nineteen forty three, when she was a twenty two year old day player at Fox. Her agent put her on Xanic's schedule for one of his four o'clock auditions. The agent also advised her to wear falsees in her bra.
Speaker 4: And when you say falses, you mean like these pads that go in your bra. I've got it a lot of stylis entergey. It would call those chicken cutlets.
Speaker 3: Oh, I love the visual. Yes.
Speaker 2: At the meeting, xanik On zipped his pants, grabbed her breasts and said, you belong to me. Judy pushed his hands away, pulled out the falsies and threw them at him. These belong to you, She reportedly said.
Speaker 3: I don't.
Speaker 2: Assuming this is true, it may explain why Judy Holliday's hit movies were all made at other studios.
Speaker 4: So Betty Grabel, A lot of people might know that name but don't know much about her career.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Betty Grabel is best remembered today as the World War Two pinup queen. There was a famous poster of her in a swimsuit and heels with her back to the camera, looking over her shoulder at the camera and smiling. It was very popular with American soldiers serving overseas during the war. Both before and after the war, Betty Grabil was one of the biggest stars at Fox, but her value to the company didn't stop Zanik from inviting her into his office hideaway. After locking the door, he turned and exposed himself. Grabil reportedly said, that's beautiful. You can put it away now. She got up and left the room.
Speaker 4: And then we have Hollywood's perhaps most famous and perpetual victim of sexual abuse and harassment, Marilyn Monroe.
Speaker 2: Yes, Marilyn was the next big star to come along at Fox after Betty Grable. In nineteen forty six, when she was still Norma Jean Mortensen, she was given a screen test at the studio. Everyone involved thought the test was exceptional. One executive said it gave him a cold chill, but when Darryl Xenik saw the test a few days later, he got no chills. He signed her anyway on July twenty third, nineteen forty six. When her contract was up. A year later, it was not renewed. No reason was given, and people who'd worked with Marylyn that year thought she was great. There have been dozens of biographies about Marilyn Monroe. She even wrote an autobiography herself, but it's still not clear why Xenik dropped her. Then eight years later, Marilyn said something to British actress Joan Collins that was interesting. Collins was twenty one years old and had a promising career in movies. Marilyn gave her advice about working in Hollywood, especially watch out for Xanax. She said, if he doesn't get what he wants, honey, he'll drop your contract. Was Marilyn speaking from first hand experience. Did Zanik drop her a nineteen teen forty seven because she had rejected him during a private audition. Well we'll never know that, but what we do know is Xanik would stall or even up end careers of actresses who told him no. That's apparently what happened with Carol Landis.
Speaker 4: I'm not as familiar with her. Tell me about Carol Well.
Speaker 2: Carol Landis was a talented and voluptuous actress who was known for her comedic chops. By the time Xanik signed her in nineteen forty, she had already been under contract at Warner Brothers and other studios. Her early movies tended to be be pictures, so the contract with Fox gave her the opportunity to really up her game. After she and Xanik had sex, a rare thing happened. Instead of his usual one time deal, it got to be a regular thing. But when she ended the affair, Xank reportedly became furious. Her contract was not renewed in nineteen forty six, and in a tragic note, two years later, after a failed romance with married act to Rex Harrison, Carol Landis committed suicide.
Speaker 4: That's so sad. What about Joan Collins? Did she steer clear of Xenic after Maryland's warning?
Speaker 2: Well? She wrote recently that she tried to avoid them at the studio and A few days later, she said, Darryl Zanik pounced on me and trapped me against a wall, breathing cigar fumes. He hissed, you haven't had anyone until you had me. Honey, I'm the biggest and the best, and I can go all night. I was so shocked, I couldn't think of anything to say. I managed to wriggle free and ran back to the set.
Speaker 4: Now, obviously there's no human resources department to report this too. Now, but aren't we aware of other prominent Hollywood journalists were aware of what Zenic was up to.
Speaker 2: Well, there's very little evidence one way or the other, with one notable exception. W. R. Wilkinson the Third has written a couple of books about his father, Billy Wilkerson, the founder and publisher of The Hollywood Reporter. In his book Hollywood Godfather, Wilkerson wrote that his father knew about Xanik's four o'clock auditions, and he also knew about Harry Cone's casting couch abuse at Columbia Pictures. Xank and Billy Wilkerson were friends, and Wilkerson kept quiet about what he knew.
Speaker 4: So we've talked about Xeni's early in quite toxic life. How did he fare later on?
Speaker 2: Well? During World War Two, he served as colonel in the US Signal Corps. His job was to produce training films and documentaries. He was deployed to Africa in nineteen forty two to film The Invasion, which was one of America's first big operations in the war. Later, he received a legion of Merit for his war services. When he returned to work at Fox, he had some housekeeping to do. His office had been taken over by another producer. His four o'clock hideaway had been turned into a file room. Xanik had everything painted green again. The Safari trophies came back, the filing cabinets were out, and a new day bed was in The four o'clock auditions were soon back in business.
Speaker 4: My god, how long did this actually go on? And when did it eventually stop?
Speaker 3: Well?
Speaker 2: They stopped at Fox in nineteen fifty six, when Zanik left the company and became an independent producer. In nineteen fifty seven, he produced The Sun Also Rises, which was one of Errol Flynn's last films. He also produced The Longest Day, starring John Wayne in nineteen sixty two. It was a critical and box office hit, But then he began to lose his footing. He put a lot of effort into turning his girlfriends into movie stars. Never worked out the careers of these women, Juliet Greco, Belladarvi and Riina Demisch failed one after another.
Speaker 4: And was his wife still okay with all this?
Speaker 2: Apparently not. It was around this time that Darryl and Virginia separated. She'd been patient for way too long. The Xanax never divorced, but they lived apart for the next twenty years. Xanik returned to Fox in nineteen sixty two and served as president. He was there when the studio released Cleopatra, one of the most expensive bombs Hollywood ever produced.
Speaker 4: So Xanik turned sixty in nineteen sixty two after this tremendous failure. Is he thinking about retirement?
Speaker 2: Not at all? In fact, he started working remotely. He moved to Paris in nineteen sixty five. He met a model named Jean Villev Gille at a nightclub.
Speaker 3: There.
Speaker 2: Something sparked between them and a long term relationship developed. She was nineteen, he was sixty three. Xanik and Jeanviev moved into the penthouse of one of the most expensive hotels in Paris, the Georges Sank. Around this time, Xanik was promoted to chairman of the board at Fox. He stayed in touch with the company's offices in Los Angeles and New York with phone calls and telegrams. He also held auditions in his penthouse.
Speaker 4: By the way, I do anything for a penthouse at the George Sank, but I wouldn't do that. So were these auditions sort of similar to the ones in the Fox lot?
Speaker 2: Well, at least one of them was for British actress and model Fiona Lewis sent her to Xanik's penthouse one afternoon in nineteen seventy. She wrote about it in her memoir Mistakes were made, some in French. She arrived promptly with her portfolio. Xanik answered the door himself. Fiona Lewis said he was wearing a silk dressing gown open at the front. He was naked underneath, and casually holding his penis between his first two fingers as if it were a lit cigar.
Speaker 3: Have you ever.
Speaker 2: Seen anything so big? He asked, which I instinctively knew wasn't a question, but I was floored. A wave of englishness rose up. I couldn't utter a word in French. I could have leveled him. Instead, I turned and headed for the elevator. Hey, come back, he shouted, Come on, I was just kidding.
Speaker 3: It was a joke.
Speaker 2: So she went back into the suite. They sat on the sofa and she showed.
Speaker 3: Him her portfolio.
Speaker 2: While she talked about her career, Xanik listened with what she called the used indifference. At one point, Jean Viev came in. Fiona Lewis described her as a young, elegantly dressed Grace Kelly type, wearing gray flannel slacks and a white Kashmir sweater. Jean Viev appeared to be looking for her cigarettes, but Louis felt like she was being checked out. After Jeanviev left, Xana got to the point he asked Fiona if she would like to sleep with Jeanviev. She hadn't expected that, and when she said no, he opened a wooden box on the coffee table, took out a few thousand francs and put them on the table in front of her, But she wasn't interested. She decided to leave, and on her way out she heard Xanik shout, you will never work in Hollywood. Fiona Lewis proved him wrong about that. She appeared in more than twenty movies in television shows in Hollywood over the next five decades.
Speaker 4: So Zanic is now in his seventies. Is he about to retire?
Speaker 3: Well?
Speaker 2: His health began to fail and he and Jeanviev moved to New York. In nineteen seventy two, Xank was diagnosed with cancer and his jaw. Doctors removed part of the jaw, two teeth, part of his tongue, and some muscles, lymph nodes, and veins from his neck. And despite all of this, after the surgery, the doctor said he had no deformity. A few months later, things took an even more drastic turn. Xanic experienced memory loss and was eventually diagnosed with organic brain syndrome known today as neurocognitive disorder. His mental decline was quick, steep, and irreversible.
Speaker 4: That's a sort of stunning series of events for someone who had been an action for so long.
Speaker 2: What happened next, Well, let's go back to an evening in April nineteen seventy three. A plane from New York lands at the Palm Springs Airport in California. Seated in first class are Daryl Zanik, his girlfriend, Jean Viev, his secretary, his daughter's and Xanik's two dogs, Lisa and Tina. As soon as the landing stairs are rolled into place and the cabin door is open, Xanik grabs his dogs and down the steps. Jan Viev watches from the top of the stairs as he trots across the tarmac to a limo where Virginia Xanik is waiting. He hands Virginia one of the dogs and takes her by the arm. They climb into a limo and drive off towards Xanik's Palm Springs estate. Jen Viev realizes then that after eight years, her life with Darryl Zanak and all the wealth and privilege that came with it, has come to a close.
Speaker 4: So a gentleman to the very end, How long does he live?
Speaker 3: Well?
Speaker 2: Virginia Xanik nursed him for the next six years, and he died at seventy seven on December twenty second, nineteen seventy nine. Okay, so let's talk about this story, Matt as it compares with recent events in the me Too era. I just wanted to read a quote from an article in Variety by Thelma Adams. She writes the practice of powerful white men exploiting young actresses trying to break into the movie business has a historical precedent as old as the movie business itself.
Speaker 4: Says it, all right, that's kind of it. That's the entire point.
Speaker 2: So what's your take on all of this? Now that you've heard the story and you know then and now.
Speaker 4: The biggest takeaway I have is just it's going through you know, this incredible and I've learned so much about Darryl's anik. But the one question I have is what is any of this worth? A few good movies? All this behavior somehow doesn't seem to equal to some of its parts. Not that it should, but it's just it's just very sad. And also for the people who aren't as lucky as Betty Grable and Barbara Stanwick and Joan Collins. And not to say Marilyn was lucky, but think about how many nameless, faceless women there were that went back home, got back on greyhound buses after behavior like this. It's it's a bit of a bummer.
Speaker 2: And you know, I keep using this quote the more things change, the more they stay the same.
Speaker 4: Is you know, in reporting on you know, the Dawn and the progression of the Me Too movement, I think that the word predation predatory is very applicable here because it does have a methodology, right. Think about how many of these instances have the same circumstances. So there's powerful people using you know, their influence and promise of employment to get people alone in rooms, to offer them, to proposition them, to pay them, to ask them if they don't work. It's all very very methodical or it's very pathological in a way too.
Speaker 2: And you know what, when I read or when I was researching about Xanak and his mo Yeah, it's so similar to Weinstein, only Weinstein asked for massages, but that same vibe, it seems so similar absolutely.
Speaker 4: And also even just the construction of the lots and just all the you know you mentioned about infrastructure being something that twentieth century really needed to scale up to become twentieth century Fox, but so much of what's even put in the groundwork there, it facilitated this secret pathways into actresses dressing rooms. It's interesting. I've actually been to the Louis B. Mayer office in the Tholburg Building on the Sony Pictures lot, and I've seen the secret passageways from his actual like maybe third floor office down into the screening rooms, and it takes on you know, you might think that some really cool trick of architecture or just like a nice lex of power, but it takes on such a different connotation when you maybe know what they were used for. You know what those passages were carrying or what might have happened in them.
Speaker 2: Okay, So speaking about the lots, then we had the studio system cities within a city. Richard Zanik said they were self sustaining except for the police force, which you obviously can't have, but there was this sort of infrastructure and their ability to just control everything absolutely.
Speaker 4: I mean, the studio system was a closed loop where you had a sole financier. It was very small collection people at the top making decisions. And what's even more interesting now, because you know the world we live in, celebrities are so diversified and so branded in and of themselves, but this was a system where they would sign you for eight or nine year contracts and they could change your image on a dime. They would just literally shuffle you in and out of movies like cattle. There was no such thing as sort of like you know, controlled defined individual celebrity identity, so you had less and less rights.
Speaker 2: What do you think about the system protect ding powerful men like Darryl Zanik?
Speaker 3: How do you think they were able to do that? What's your take?
Speaker 4: I mean, the system protecting these corrupt men. I think we're probably people backing the idea of the American dream lived out through movies. You know, theatrical box office was never was the only game in town. You know, you're talking about many of these moguls came before the advent or at least the popularity of television. So you've got one medium that the entire world worships. And it's a very high stakes game, especially for the actors that come through these doors and you know, come from nothing and want that American dream.
Speaker 2: As I said, and when you look at Weinstein, looking at present day, I am absolutely gobsmacked at how many people knew in Hollywood for how long and so that goes back to them.
Speaker 4: Right absolutely. It's funny when you talk about complicity, because I think it works in a couple different ways. You know, in terms of Harvey, where there are people who actively were to abscond and paid off women that he abused, Yes, on equivocally, there's also a different sort of emotional complicity, you know what I mean, Like this idea that you know, Harvey was mean, and because he was meaning, was somehow tough or swashbuckling or whatever. But I think in his heyday, the idea of just surviving him opened so many other doors for you, even as one of his employees, you know what I mean, Like Mira Max was the unquestionable independent film king of the world, and getting a role or having a successful MOVI to come out, and especially you know Harvey's skills, a campaigning for oscars could be really transformative for your career at a time when the studios weren't making product that was really interesting to the top and coming artists, and you could have this entirely new path to stardom. That is such a great point. I wanted to bring up one thing too, because we were talking. You know, we're talking about systems that protect, but let's talk about how this stuff sort of manifested in the films. I was so fascinated to hear that Louis B. Mayor just refused to put any kind of depictions of sexuality in his films, no bedroom scenes, even between married couples, and then behaves.
Speaker 3: This way exactly hypocrisy.
Speaker 2: Well, I want to leave with a quote from the fab Marilyn Monroe, and she summed up her experience with powerful men in Hollywood like this, and this is from her memoir.
Speaker 3: I met them all.
Speaker 2: Some were vicious and crooked, but you saw Hollywood with their eyes, an overcrowded brothel and a merry go round with beds instead of horses. So, Matt, I know that really kind of paints that picture. Any final thoughts.
Speaker 4: I think the one thing we've learned today is that maybe they're as Thelma sid earlier as you quoted her. There might be too many powerful, rich white men in charge. So maybe we should shape that up a little bit and see what happens. And now the world will know what falses are.
Speaker 3: And I think that's a perfect final thought.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much, Thanks to Matt Donnelly for joining us, and thank you for tuning in. We'll be back next time with another episode in this six part series, The Secret History of the casting couch from Variety Confidential. This has been four o'clock Girls for Variety and iHeart Podcasts.
Speaker 3: I'm Tracy Patton.
Speaker 2: Variety Confidential is a production of Variety Content Studio and iHeart Podcasts. It was produced by Sidney Kramer, John Ponder, and Tracy Patten and written by John Ponder and Tracy Patton, with additional research by Karen Mizogucci. Executive producers are Dea Lawrence and Steve Gatos. Variety Confidential is recorded, edited, and mixed at the Invisible Studios, West Hollywood. Recording engineer Lester Dangler, editor and mixer Charles Carroll