Speaker 1: Look how it's only films to be buried with. Hello, and welcome to films to be buried with. My name is Brett Golstein. I'm a comedian, an actor, a writer, a director of Foam Mattress, and I love film. As Alfred Tennyson once said, if I had a flower for every time I thought of the film Past Lives, I could walk through my garden forever. Every week I'm by a special guest over, I tell them they've died. Then I get them to discuss their life through films that meant that most of them. Previous guests include Barry Jenkins and but Ruffin, Mark Frost, Sharon Stone, and even Z Fambles. But this week it is the really wonderful and lovely and brilliant Michelle Visage. The last three dates of my stand up tour in North America Second Best Night of Your Life are available at Brett goldsteintour dot com. I think there's only a few tickets left at Baltimore, Bellingham and Seattle. Get your tickets there. And Shrinking Season two begins Wednesday on Apple TV Plus. Make sure you watch it. We're all very excited for you to see it. Shrinking too, is a fucking banger. Head over to the Patreon at patreon dot com forward slash Brett Goldstein, where you'll get about twenty minutes extra's chat with Michelle, including a secret. You also get the whole episode, uncut, adfree and as a video. Check it out over at patreon dot com forward slash Brett Goldstein. So, Michelle Visage is a singer, she's a television personality. She's a broadcaster, she's a producer, she's an actor. You know and love her from RuPaul's Drag Race. I've met her a couple of times at events, but this was the first time I had time to really sit with her. We did this on Zoom a few weeks ago and it was so wonderful and I really think you're gonna love this one. So that is it for now. I very much hope you enjoy episode three hundred and twenty one of Films to Be Buried With. Hello, and welcome to Films to be Buried With. It is me Brett gold and I am joined today by a musician, a pop star, a radio star, a podcast a TV star, a country's Got talent, a celebrity, big brother, a Emmy winner, multiple times, so many awards, she doesn't know where to keep them. She's so insanely successful and popular and beloved, not just in Ireland but down Under and also in America and in England. You name a country that she's not beloved, and I'll tell you you've made up a country name. She's here. I can't believe it. She's a superstar. Please welcome to the show. It's the amazing it's Michelle Visage.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's almost as if you introduced yourself.
Speaker 1: Almost says if I've never been on drag Race and I wish you know, do you want to, well, I'd be shy.
Speaker 2: No, you would not be shy. Stop, but I'd be right next to you.
Speaker 1: The only thing I wouldn't want to do is be me to anyone. That's what I don't think I could be on it.
Speaker 3: No, that's my job, darling. And it's not mean, it's honest to help. How many auditions have you gone on that you haven't gotten? And for me, as a chronic auditioner, as a theater kid, all I wanted were notes to get better, tell me how to improve.
Speaker 1: How I could have.
Speaker 3: Landed that job and it would be more frustrating to not get notes and just say you didn't get the job. Well, tell me why I didn't get the job. So I feel like it's my job to help you. Tell you why you're not getting the job or why you did get the job.
Speaker 1: That's what it is. So you don't have to be mean. You're literally there to.
Speaker 3: Help and encourage and give your guidance from what your life experience has brought you thus far.
Speaker 1: Very nice, very nicely put Michelle, thank you. Where are you right now?
Speaker 3: I'm in my home in Los Angeles for a change.
Speaker 1: It's very nice to you. We've met. We've met twice before, and both times i've met you, you've been holding an Emmy and I really like that about you.
Speaker 3: Well, let's tell people the truth. I assaulted you at the Emmys pretty much verbally, and I was like, oh my god, I love you, which you must hear all the time.
Speaker 1: But I don't know you said I have notes.
Speaker 3: Oh god, Oh yes, that's really what happened. I was a fan of ted Lasso before the world caught on to ted Lasso, so I felt like I had a little insight. And yeah, it's just the lovely cast and you're incredibly talented and.
Speaker 2: Yes, I'm here for it.
Speaker 1: God bless you. Michelle.
Speaker 2: Are you here now? Are you in LA like I mean in London? Do you live here?
Speaker 1: Now? I live there mostly, but I'm actually in New Orleans, New Orleans, New Orleans. Why are you?
Speaker 2: Where are you feeling Leans?
Speaker 1: I'm doing my tour show stand up show?
Speaker 2: Are you bringing it to London?
Speaker 1: I think I'm going to have to at some point as soon as I have time. I was excited.
Speaker 3: I'm going to be there all of November. So I thought, if you were there, what were you doing there in November?
Speaker 1: May? I ask?
Speaker 3: So I live there half the year, so yeah, So I go back to do work whatever work. And then I filmed there in January and February. And when I'm not working here, I go over there because I'll work over there. And I love it there. I love your fair Land.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's fun. Great. Tell me this. You are? I think a workaholic? Yeah? And I like that. Yeah, I mean listen, work see work aholic.
Speaker 2: I have to what's your sign?
Speaker 1: Cancer? Are you whiny? I'm just wondering.
Speaker 3: I'm a virgo through and through, So if I'm not working, what does this mean? If I'm not working, I'm a bit like I don't know what to do with myself. Some people love to travel, which is lovely. I love to travel too, but it's I love to travel to work, and then I'll see places on my downtime.
Speaker 1: Yes, so that's my thing.
Speaker 3: It's probably avoidance as well, because I feel like when there's downtime there's things you have to face emotionally.
Speaker 1: And it's like I'm not not prepared for that.
Speaker 2: So if I work, I could just cover it.
Speaker 1: Just moving, Yeah, keep moving. Never feel amen?
Speaker 3: Are you the same way, brock?
Speaker 1: Of course, I am completely Never sit still for a second and have to listen to the voices in your head. No thank you, no, no thank you, no thank you, no, no thank you. What does happen to you when you have a day off. I don't know, break down.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't know, because I don't let it happen.
Speaker 2: Literally, on my day off.
Speaker 3: I will be like, okay, so I'm going to go to a bar class and then I have to bar class.
Speaker 2: I'm going to go get my nails done. You have to get my nails done.
Speaker 3: I'm going to go like I will fill it and then it's like oh, I have to cook dinner for myself.
Speaker 1: I'm exhausted.
Speaker 3: I'll cook my dinner, I'll eat, and I'll go to bed and wake up and do it again. I just love creating and I love to work and I love If I'm not working on a television show, then I want to be singing or I want to be doing something that doesn't give me time to be Like.
Speaker 1: Was the last thing you did live? Was it The Adams Family Live? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, that was the last thing that I did live?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 3: How is that so fun? I was so It's so good. The music is so good. It's so underrated and underappreciated. It's a brilliant score. The music is fantastic. The book is really fun. And we had a good time. And it was all about a transfer and now it's figuring out the dates for the transfer and hoping it could we could make it happen, but we'll see. I love live theater. There's nothing like it and it just makes me happy. It he is my soul. I love it. I love to sing, I love to dance. I love to be I'm that girl. Do you want to make more music yourself?
Speaker 2: Do I want to do you want to I love to sing, Brett. But this is the way that I look at it.
Speaker 3: The way that I look at it is I'm newly fifty six years old, and it's like, do we need a fifty six year old pop star?
Speaker 1: Yes?
Speaker 2: I love you. You say the right things, you charmer.
Speaker 3: I don't know, so you know again, see what I just said about have downtime. And then those voices in your head they'll stop me immediately and be like, no, that ship has sailed.
Speaker 1: But I guess it hasn't. It's because we sat down. If we were if we were having this conversation on a run, you'd be like, fuck exactly, not.
Speaker 3: Yeah, no, I just I don't know. It's a very weird thing. But I love music. I love to sing, and if it presents, you know, I think of maybe I'll do a Broadway album. People love that, And then it's like do they So it's that.
Speaker 1: I think they really do. I think they really do. I genuinely think they really do. I think we've seen evidence of that many times. I also, I am curious if you forgive me for not knowing all of your work, because frankly, that's so much. It's okay, And if I caught up with all of it. At some point there would be a gap where I was sort of changing DVDs over and I'd feel let the sadness hit me DVDs. Are you still watching DVDs? Yes, of course that's what this podcast is still about. Look at you, Look at you? With the segue, I'm still this is what I'm saying. Forgive me for not knowing. Do you write your own music? Do you? You never did? Or you don't anymore?
Speaker 3: No, I have written lyrics like the song that I did on my Bodyguard soundtrack.
Speaker 1: I wrote the lyrics for that.
Speaker 3: I'm more of a lyric person, not a I can't just sit down and be like, you know, one of these prolific writers that could just bang them out.
Speaker 1: I just can't do it. Is it true that having a song on the Bodyguard album, if you weren't to work on, you certainly don't need to be because you could live on a desert island that you owned the rest of your life by having won so on, Well.
Speaker 3: My darling, that would be true if you had a good deal. But I was a young kid who walked into not the worst deal, but certainly not a great deal.
Speaker 1: So no, The answer to that is no.
Speaker 3: But if it was my song and completely my song, then yeah, absolutely no Michelle.
Speaker 1: Yes, I forgotten to tell you something. You love me? No, I do love you, and I've never forgotten that. Just to be very good, that's never gone away. Just double check. What I have forgotten to tell you, though, and I probably should have told you earlier is and I feel bad I didn't. I feel like an idiot that I didn't sort of say this up front. But you're pregnant. No, well I haven't tested in a week. Okay, you've died. You're dead. How did you die? I stopped working? The most tragic death with that? Stop working, and you just sort of just exploded? Yeah, spontaneous combustion. Wow? Were you with people or just on the street? Were in the home?
Speaker 3: I was probably home with my dogs and all that's left were some eyelashes and perhaps a pair of glasses.
Speaker 1: Wow, it's tragic. Wow, that is fucking tragic. Yeah. How old do you think you were when this happened?
Speaker 2: Hundred twenty four? Because I'm a biohacker.
Speaker 1: Well yeah, well but so you still work oka like all of that. Do you worry about death? Michelle?
Speaker 3: Yeah, Are you insane? I'm an erotic, have you?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: I worry about death.
Speaker 1: There are people that come on this show that say, not really, I don't get that.
Speaker 2: I don't understand those people are aids.
Speaker 1: You d a kid? How much do you worry about death? Every second? Every day? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Do you too? Are we two peas at part?
Speaker 1: Not every second of every day. I'm sort of honestly, I'm less worried about death than I used to be. Okay, and I tell you the real truth. Yeah, And I've talked about this in my stantitarde and I really really mean it. It's because I did Sesame Street. And when I did Sesame Street, I was like, well I can die now, And I really mean that. I'm like, well I did the thing, you know what I mean. It's like, does that that was it?
Speaker 2: That was your ps the resistance at Swansong.
Speaker 1: It's like anything else, everything's a bonus. Like if I die today, you go, well, it did Sesame Street? You know what I mean? What else is there? Really fair?
Speaker 2: I get it, Okay, not every second.
Speaker 3: Of every day, but I will say this, Brett Zuno Sasame Stream. But I have health anxiety, So every day there's a new something, and I don't tell anybody. It's just my like, oh, I didn't feel that before. That must be some kind of malaria. So I'll google it and be like, oh. And I have a cousin who's a surgeon, and I text him for everything and he just laughs at me. But because of that, I'm really on top of my health. I'm probably the healthiest person you've ever met in your entire life.
Speaker 1: So that's a good thing. So you have like a morning text with your with your morning.
Speaker 3: It's pretty much like that, and I send him and I read I am not a doctor, but I definitely play one in real life, so I read everything in like actual structural like medical journals, like I'm that bitch. So I don't bother anybody with it apart from my cousin. But inside it's like I'm aware of everything. I'm aware of everything, and everybody's kind of go to as a barometer of health. So they'll call me or text me and say what do you think of this? And how about this? And I'm that so a.
Speaker 2: Little bit pre consumed with death, but not really.
Speaker 1: Like it's almost like a baseline, like you you're so used to being consumed by it almost don't. Yeah, anxiously it negates it. Yeah, it like cancels it. I have a question and a new theory. You do all this work, A lot of it is on TV. A lot of it's very sort of public. Do you get nervous? Are you nervous, say, doing drag Race? Do you get nervous at the day of a shoot you? Are you nervous at the Emmys all that stuff? Do I like stage right stuff? Not stage fright? But are you like nervous in the day building up to it? Or is it all fine?
Speaker 3: Anytime we're nominated for an award, I'm nervous because it's not even about the winning. It's just the anxiousness things. It's not anxiety in the negative way. It's excitement. It's adrenaline, So that's there. I still get by butterflies and nerves when I go on stage all the time. But I always think about Sammy Davis Junior, and he said, you know, the day he stopped getting butterflies was the day he would quit.
Speaker 1: And getting nerves means you care.
Speaker 3: If you didn't care, and it's not that big of a deal, you can just kind of like whatever agreed. So I do get nervous, and I don't mind the nerves, and it's usually in a stage performance, if I'm singing or acting, it's usually associated with that more than anything else. I don't get nervous for drag Race, but I do get excited because I love it so much, so that it's that kind of adrenaline thing. But I think the nerves really only hit me when it's live performance. Yeah, do you get nervous when you do your stand up show?
Speaker 1: Yeah? For sure. Yeah that's because she can sure I think that, and I agree, I think, but I've also realized it's like it is useful. It is the you need the adrenaline to do the thing. Yep. It gets you through and it protects you and it increases your It's like you get a super brain, you know what I mean? Your brain. Sometimes people ask me things where they get like, what would you say if someone said this, And I'm like, I don't know, but if you were on stage with the lights and the pressure of order to go, I'd fucking have an insect in the moment exactly. It's in the moment. I agree. What do you think happens after you die? Do you think there's enough to life.
Speaker 3: You know, I'm the right person had this conversation with because this is something I think about it at least twice a week. And it's funny. I was listening to Howard Stern. I've been a Howard Stern fan my whole life. I grew up on him, and he had this whole thing about the reason people make such a big deal about things here is because, in his opinion, when it's done, it's just done. And it's so hard to face the fact that when it's done, it's done. So when we're alive, we're searching for things, whether it's religion or cryogenic you, whatever it is to justify your being or who you are or your legacy, so to speak. The truth of the matter is to him, it's done. You're not floating around with wings on. So now again I'm not trying to get religious or whatever. That's his take, and I was like, huh, that's dark, but it's probably closer to reality, Thank you, Howard.
Speaker 1: But also.
Speaker 3: I'll just drive off the street and text my cousin drive into a cliff. He had a point, which was valid, but for me, I feel like we know science and science is we are all energy.
Speaker 2: This is a fact. We are all energy.
Speaker 3: And energy doesn't go away, it just changes, right, So this same energy that I have on this earth will happen somewhere in the zeitgeist. But I don't think that we're flying somewhere with wings. But I do know that energy. I do believe in ghosts and I do believe in energy.
Speaker 1: Have you had an experience with guys.
Speaker 3: Not that I can remember, but I remember when I was really young once, I must have been eight or nine. I remember I was a really bad sleeper because of anxiety and trauma, you name it, different podcasts. You and I will go out for coffee for that. And I remember waking up my grandmother had died. I remember waking up and I saw her sitting at the end of my bed. Nothing happened, no words were exchange, but I was like fuck, screaming in the middle of the night for my mother. That type of thing. That was the only experience that I remember ever having. But I do believe in it. I do believe that we are not alone on this planet. And I do believe in spirits. So whether that's the afterlife or energy or the spirit realm, I believe that our energy and our spirits have to go somewhere.
Speaker 1: They don't just dissipate. Yeah, I mean, you're absolutely right. How it's wrong. I'm afraid. I'm always right. And there is a heaven and you're going to it. Of course you are. There huge fans in heaven. It's filled with your favorite thing. What's your favorite thing, Michelle.
Speaker 2: Thing like, person, place or thing like noun?
Speaker 1: Yeah, what's your favorite nown? It's my a favorite noun.
Speaker 2: That's a very grand question, Brett.
Speaker 1: It's a grand question for a grand podcast. Let's hear it.
Speaker 2: What do you mean my favorite thing?
Speaker 1: I guess for example, you could some people might say cheese. People. If people is your answer, people, I love people. Then it's filled with people I like personality.
Speaker 2: Well, I don't eat dairries cheese.
Speaker 1: I'm boring, all right. It's filled with you're not boring dogs? Dogs?
Speaker 2: Can it be filled with dogs?
Speaker 1: It can? But the thing is you ask for people. So I'm afraid bad.
Speaker 3: Okay, it's animals are animals, animal people.
Speaker 1: It's filled with people who are half animal, and it's actually quite terrified. It's very scary. You've just ruined the like terrifying animal people. They're like very people. They graw at you, but they're very told and they're all very excited to see you. But they want to talk to you about your life, but they want to talk to you about your life through film. And the first thing they ask you, Michelle Visage, what's the first film that you remember seeing.
Speaker 3: Okay, I'm going to say the obvious, and because you don't want the obvious, I'm going to go with the second obvious. So I really fought hard to not do the obvious. But the really the first film I remember going to the theater and seeing was Star Wars, the original Star Wars, because I am a woman of a certain age, so that's what the world was doing. And I had a brother who was still to this day the biggest Star Wars geek on the planet. But because everybody says that, let's push that aside younger three years younger, so he was in the heyday of like he still has the original stuff that we had bought. Anyway, I'm going to say Superman with Christopher Reeves. It's another one, and I had a crush on him instantly, instantly had a crush on Christopher Reeves.
Speaker 1: Was he your first, like, ooh, you know what I mean.
Speaker 3: No, it would probably be Captain Kirk William Shatner in Star Trek because I had a share doll and a Captain Kirkdall. And this is a true story. I don't know if I've ever told this story. I had Captain Kirk Dall William shatt and I had a share doll Barbie dolls like action figures, and I would strip them and put them in sixty nine and leave them on my shelf. And I had not been touched in appropriately by any family members or any darkness and that, yes, but my mother would take them apart constantly, and I'd put them back like I didn't know anything about that, Like what was I doing. I just knew that those parts connected that way, and I think that's weird.
Speaker 1: Would put them the right way round, though she would separate the good play she put them, wouldn't put them she would separate.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Okay, so I think William Shatner was my first inappropriate crust.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I love that. Yeah. Where were you when you saw Superman and Star Wars?
Speaker 3: I would have been in South Plainfield, New Jersey, where I grew up at the local cinema. There was only one where people would go at the mall. We did not have a lot of money, so my mother was that Jewish mom who would say, well, buying you popcorn, but we're gonna bring a bag in with our own juice in a can and our own popcorn from home that I made on the stove, which was disgusting and not the same as buying it in the theater with butter and salt. So I'd see everybody around me getting to enjoy their taba popcorn and I had to open up a baggie, a jiffy bag and eat the burnt popcorn from the stuff.
Speaker 1: But distracted by the majesty of Christopher Reeve.
Speaker 3: You're so sexy with that curl. I wanted to be Lois Lane so desperately, and that didn't pan out for me.
Speaker 1: The only thing I love Sigma very much. I'm sure this has been discussed. Someone must have thought this. Anything that confuses me is when he takes her flying, he holds her and she flies next to Why isn't she like.
Speaker 2: Hah Because.
Speaker 3: The spirit went through her, his energy went through her. Obviously brat obviously all right, cool, thank you?
Speaker 1: What is what is the film that made you cry the most? Do you a cry of Michele visa cry?
Speaker 2: Do I strike you as a crier?
Speaker 1: I think to real quest, honestly real question, it is one or the other, as in, there's no like I dap my eyes. You're either a hysterical crier or you never You haven't cried in twenty years? Yes, you haven't cried into any answer is both? Right? I am. I'm not a crier. I can't.
Speaker 3: I try so desperately and as an actor, as a performer, like I'm in therapy literally right now, trying to deconstruct the trauma that's been done in my childhood so I can get to that point of it being attainable. And when I feel anything, I text my therapist. I'm like, I just felt something and it's really exciting to explore that. As I know it sounds so trivial, but I swear to you, Brett, I will text my therapist. I'm like, I feel like prickly bits behind my eyes. I think we're getting closer. It's it's literally the response to childhood drama. And I built this wall around me, and I am there for everybody else emotionally except not for myself, so I'm working on that. I am not a crier, but there have been movies that made me actually sob and probably one of the biggest is a film where Sean Penn was ripped off not winning the Oscar or.
Speaker 1: Did he win the Oscar for that?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 3: No, Dead Man Walking with Sean Penn and Susan Straanitch she won the Oscar. That movie had me in hysterics. That one and The Passion of the Christ. Those two had me in so absolute it starts and I went to both, I think by myself, and I was just uncontrollably sobbing in both of those films. And it is quite cathartic to be able to sob. I'm not a pretty sober. I don't really care what I look like anymore when I cry, but I'm not a pretty crier.
Speaker 1: Bite those films and with a crucifix. Yeah, maybe it's my thing. Yeah, maybe Jesus, maybe they're both religious. Yeah. What's the film that scared you? The mice? Oh? Do you like being scared? I love it.
Speaker 2: I love horror movies.
Speaker 1: I love to be scared. I'm also one of.
Speaker 3: Those people in the theater that's like ahh like I'm yeah, I'm a talker in a horror movie because I love a jump scare. I love I hate it, I love to hate it, but I love it. So I have a bunch of friends that will go together, and I just love it. So the film that scared me the most earliest that I can remember was Salem's Lot, but the nineteen seventy nine one with David Soul.
Speaker 2: I remember, being very young.
Speaker 3: I would have been eleventh just if that, and I remember they were watching it at my grandmother's house and I walked out I saw it. I literally couldn't sleep for nights after kind of creeping and watching it.
Speaker 2: It's frightening. I think Stephen King. It's just a very very scary movie.
Speaker 3: And I know there's been a remake, but I'm talking about the seventy ninety.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this new one coming now, I think.
Speaker 2: Again they've already done one. They're doing another.
Speaker 1: One that's an HBI showe.
Speaker 2: Oh, they're doing a series.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, No, this was the David Soul one, and I can't.
Speaker 1: You need to watch it if you never did. What's your favorite horror reason?
Speaker 3: I actually really enjoyed The Barbarian.
Speaker 1: Which did oh yeah, gravel.
Speaker 2: I enjoyed that one.
Speaker 3: It didn't get a lot of publicity, like people were not really talking about it, but it was well done. And listen, there's always holes in horror movies. Like when they walk in, it's like, okay, you both have the same Airbnb and you're going to stay there. Okay, it's the only house on that block that doesn't look like it's been ransacked and dilapidated. So those are the fun parts of horror movies, being like yeah, right, But it ended up being really enjoyable.
Speaker 1: I liked that. That's a lot of it. Yeah, what is the film that you love? It is not critically acclaimed, but you love it unconditionally.
Speaker 3: Okay, So anybody that knows me is going to scream this right now before you even say it.
Speaker 1: But it is Showgirls. It is the best movie ever made.
Speaker 3: It is the one that I wished I could have been in, even if I was in the cast, you know, in the background being a dancer.
Speaker 1: I don't care. Yeah, can I ask you this. I had Kyle McLaughlin on this show. I love him too, and he and he he brought up show Guys in like a well. I made this bad film, and I said, you absolutely did not. Can you in in two minutes passionately tell Kyle why he's in the greatest film at all time.
Speaker 3: Please, First of all, Kyle, I love you with all my heart and soul twin peaks like I can go on and on about Kyle McLaughlin.
Speaker 2: Okay, this is not about the best. This is about the.
Speaker 3: Masterpiece that is Showgirls, because and first of all, he was so good in it, and so good it's just epic in every way I'm not sure I can put into words. But Kyle, first of all, we love Portlandia, We love everything that you've done.
Speaker 2: We know that you're a serious actor.
Speaker 1: We get it.
Speaker 2: You are brilli in everything that you've done.
Speaker 3: But there are some things in life that don't have to be taken that seriously, and in this case, it was Showgirls.
Speaker 1: For you and your defense.
Speaker 3: It got so much hype that there was no way it could ever live up to a hype that was getting. There was absolutely no way that it was going to live up to what was presented. And then you had Elizabeth Berkeley in the lead role, who you know, came from this wholesome background, so it was all going to be a difficult ride. You were brilliant, Elizabeth was brilliant. Gina Gershan is always brilliant and everything that she does. It was brilliantly filmed, written, conceived, executed.
Speaker 2: There's no film like it. There never will be.
Speaker 3: They tried with the second part, which didn't even see the light of day.
Speaker 1: And you're my hero.
Speaker 2: I love you, right, I love it, greatest, greatest movie.
Speaker 1: Yeah. What is the film on the other hand that you used to like but you've watched recently and you've thought, I don't like this no more.
Speaker 3: There's a few, but I chose one that really made me laugh. I like stupid things, Brett. I like really dumb humor, you know, like Elvira that her movies are like the best ever, like dumb, funny, but dumb smart.
Speaker 2: This movie was dumb, just dumb.
Speaker 1: And it was Howie.
Speaker 3: Mandel's movie called Walk Like a Man, where he was like raised by wolves. Nobody has seen it, just me, like, and then he gets like domesticated, he gets like he literally was like a wolf boy. It is so dumb. Yeah, so you're laughing because it's that. But then I saw it recently, I was like, this is not as funny as I thought it was, but I used to It was my go to for a long time.
Speaker 2: But like there's some movies that still like.
Speaker 3: One of my favorite movies of all time that still holds up is Weird Science.
Speaker 2: It's one of the best movies ever made.
Speaker 1: Weird Si Mo ever made.
Speaker 3: I could quote every frickin' line from that movie and it still holds.
Speaker 2: Is it as funny as it was?
Speaker 3: Maybe in different ways you find different things, But Walk like a Man just didn't hold up.
Speaker 1: What is the film that means the most to you? Not necessarily the film is any good, but the experience you had seeing the film will always make it meaningful to you. Michell Olpissas.
Speaker 3: I think this one is because to understand me, to understand my trauma. Growing up, I was not a popular girl. I was not a pretty girl. The boys didn't like me. The boys made fun of me. And it wasn't until I started singing in a rock band going into high school and a popular boy liked me. So then people started taking notice of me and they were like, oh, she looks good now she lost weight's And it's like I always had to prove myself because I wasn't a cool kid. I was a theater geek and I had to make my own entertainment. So when this popular boy started liking me, we went on a date and we went to go see Jaws three in three D. And it's really not romantic or cute to get to the theater and have to put these paper glasses on. And I was very like self conscious of the fact that like I wanted to be cute because I wasn't like notoriously cute, and.
Speaker 2: He like my hand in the movie and it was like, oh.
Speaker 3: My god, and this is high school, like my girls had all my girlfriends, the three girlfriends that I had had already lost to virginity. And I hadn't even had a kiss at this point. We moved quick in Jersey, and uh, it was a big deal because I was.
Speaker 1: Like maybe, like maybe something will happen.
Speaker 3: So Jaws three and three D was a date with my very first boyfriend and I loved draws.
Speaker 1: Anyway, did you kiss? Kiss? We kissed with the glasses.
Speaker 2: On, not the glasses on.
Speaker 3: The glasses were off, and it was like at the end of the movie and I was like, oh, yeah, this is like in public, like people can see me kissing a popular boy.
Speaker 1: Oh, I got like, this is my.
Speaker 2: Moment kiss I mean, I don't, I don't. I'm definitely improved since then.
Speaker 1: I mean I was. I was new to it, and I immediately go to a sixty nine.
Speaker 3: Maake it right in the popcorn aside, just flip it, strip them off and flip it.
Speaker 1: Yes, that's a lovely story. Thank you? Did you? Did you go out with the popular for a while for four years? Whoa all through high school? Yeah?
Speaker 2: And I made him wait, I made him wait, he wasn't happy.
Speaker 1: He's longer. Yes, I'm sorry.
Speaker 2: Yeah, what was it because of me?
Speaker 1: So there's that. He was you also your first time? Yeah, he was my first everything.
Speaker 3: He taught me everything, Like I was so scared to have sex for so long that other things needed to be done, and he taught me everything everything I knew.
Speaker 2: So all the boys out there since.
Speaker 1: Him, you can thank him. I love this guy. Yeah, so to a lot of.
Speaker 2: Other guys there, Brett.
Speaker 1: What's that? What's the what is the film you most relate to? I don't know.
Speaker 3: That's That's like one of those movies where you look and you go, there's movies that I wished like sixteen Candles could be relatable because I was not popular and I'm not lamenting, and this is just a fact I had to myself into. It was like square peg, round hole type of thing. I had to find where I fit in, because yes, it was singing, it was acting, but I used comedy. So I ended up being class clown because I wasn't going to be popular for my looks and I wasn't going to be the hot girl. So I made people laugh and that is what worked for me. So there was something about sixteen Candles where I wasn't necessarily forgotten in my house, but I felt like if I didn't force myself into situations, they probably would have passed me by. And then you know, the popular boy liked me, and I felt like I had arrived because the popular boy liked me. So there's probably other movies that do it a little bit better, but maybe sixteen Candles, because that's what I always Every girl my age dreamed of being Molly Ringwald in that movie, and we all had the hots for Jake Ryan, all of us. There was not one person who did not have the hots for Jake Ryan.
Speaker 1: That's nice.
Speaker 3: And then I watched Vision Quest just to see him and then fell in love with Matthew Modin. But that's a different topic.
Speaker 1: Oh interesting, he can get it still. He knows.
Speaker 3: I've interviewed him a million Tipton, he knows. He knows how much I love him. Paul loves him too. We both we both have the hots for him. We have the hots for YouTube Brett. So don't feel left out. Yeah, we do, both of us. I'm just going to say it. Most women don't say it. I'll say it.
Speaker 1: So this is huge, huge news, wonderful news. A day, Yeah, good day, thank you. What is speaking of? Which, what's the sexiest film you've ever seen?
Speaker 3: There's been a few, probably sexy, not just pornographic. Would be nine and a half weeks because growing up, yes, that was the go to I'm not necessarily a lover of food during intercourse, but.
Speaker 1: Mickey work was like wow.
Speaker 3: And Kim Besinger as well. I mean they were both so like at their prime. They're still both well. Mike, he's had some things done, but he's an incredible actor and I actually really enjoy watching everything that he does. The wrestler was amazing, Like, he's just an incredible actor. That goes there in Nine and a half Weeks was one of those movies that everybody was the buzz. Everybody would talk about did you see Nine and a half Weeks? It was like hot stuff that kids like. When I watched it for the first time, I was like feeling something, but at the same time like ill because I didn't you know, I didn't know what like unleashed sexuality looks like.
Speaker 1: And then you see that and you're like, wow, So that was pretty hot. That was thet That was a hot movie. That's a fucking hot film. And you're right about the food thing. They do make it look good. Yeah, like the honey and yeah, yeah, but you do think in reality, what a mess? What a mess? What a Yeah? There's a sub category to this question. Okay, traveling bin is worrying. Why dunce a film you found arousing that you weren't sure? You shit?
Speaker 3: Again, many I have crushes on weirder people.
Speaker 2: This is no, this is not meaning you you're not weird.
Speaker 1: You have plenty of people. You've already pointed that that you.
Speaker 2: You have plenty of people chasing you.
Speaker 3: Okay, this was dangerous Liaison's for John Malkovich.
Speaker 1: I had the hots for John. That's cool. I think that's cool. That's a sexy film about sexy people being sexy.
Speaker 3: But for him, like it wasn't about Keanu and it wasn't about Uma, Like I had the hots for John Malkovich.
Speaker 1: But he's the one doing the who the fuck it? He's just sexy.
Speaker 3: He's just sexy, And yeah, I have felt that way for a long time about him, About Sean Pan, there's quite a few that have always been like, I'll watch it because I think he's fit.
Speaker 1: John Hamm, you know, there's all the John's. Well, I think I need to defend all these John's and say I think they're they're all fake guys. These aren't weird Dice. I mean they might be weird Dice, but.
Speaker 3: No, John Hamm is not a weirdo. But John Malkovich is not one you hear being the hot guys.
Speaker 2: Let's be exactly right.
Speaker 1: But I think I think if if you think, when you think where you go, yeah, he's just slightly scary.
Speaker 3: Exactly think about his stuff that he's got. Yeah, but there's something about him that I think I like a guy with intensity and there's that Yeah, and that's what that is. I like people who can lock out the rest of the world and take shit seriously and then also have a laugh. And that's what I felt about him. And he was so powerful in that movie and so naughty.
Speaker 1: It's a great, great film. It is a good one great What is objectively the greatest film of all time? Might not be your favorite, but it is the pinnacle of cinema, and is it show Goes?
Speaker 3: For me, it's show Girls. There is no better film. Citizen Kane, Lah, you know, you do your thing. I also really enjoyed Twelve Angry Men, which is a film that a lot of people don't talk about, but I really enjoy that.
Speaker 2: I love all old cinema.
Speaker 3: I love Marlin di Dietrich, I love golden Earrings, I love Blonde Venus like. I can go on and on about those movies, and it's such a personal thing, that question.
Speaker 2: There are different genres.
Speaker 3: But for me, the greatest movie of all times will always be Showgirls.
Speaker 2: I used to be obsessed with a movie called Agnes of God.
Speaker 3: I used to think that when I was an actor, you know, and I was in theater school, like I was, like Meg Tilly was the pinnacle for me. Like I wanted to be able to act the way Meg Tilly acted in Agnes of God like so, I mean, it's all so personal.
Speaker 1: The Show Guys is the one dude, when you first saw Show Guys, were you like this is it? Did you? Were you in love immediately?
Speaker 3: Or it's one of those movies like Dirty Dancing where you watch it and you're like, I love this movie with all I've got and I will never turn the channel when it's on. I own it on DVD, I own it on every possible way to own it. Star eighty is another one that I could watch. Have you ever seen it? Yes, Eric Roberts, It's finest performance. He's an incredible actor. Papa Greenwich Village is great too. But Starity is another one of those movies that I can watch over and over and over again.
Speaker 1: That is a brilliant, brilliant film I've seen. I have an older sister, I've seen Dirty Dancing five thousand times, and I watched it. I hadn't seen it for about ten years, and it was on the other day and I watched it and I was like, fucking know, it holds up.
Speaker 2: We never never gets old. The chemistry is a.
Speaker 1: Perfect film it is. It's a really really good film.
Speaker 3: It is, but it was predictable, so I was trying to avoid predictability.
Speaker 1: For no, I appreciate you. What is the film you could or have watched the most over and over.
Speaker 2: Again, besides show Girls, which is a given.
Speaker 1: Besides show Yes, is Twilight the first one? Really?
Speaker 3: I have it on my flight my phone, like I have it saved. I will always default to Twilight. I love it so much.
Speaker 1: What is it you love about it? The romance, the vampires.
Speaker 3: I think it's the darkness, it's the taboo again, it's the intensity. I think Robert Pattinson was a perfect Edward. I thought Kristen Stewart was wonderful as Bella. I just thought it's fun. It's beautiful to look at. Yeah, you know it's cheesy, but cheesy is fun, Jesus Like I loved it.
Speaker 2: The music, the choices.
Speaker 3: I cannot ever get enough of that film ever.
Speaker 1: And you like all of the sequels or the other parts.
Speaker 3: Yeah, But for me, the best one was the first one. The other parts were fine, they were fine. I'll watch them. Harry Potter fanatic two. So but for me, I think Twilight.
Speaker 1: Now listen, We've discussed this earlier. We don't like to be negative, so you can say that you can use this to be constructive. What's the worst film you've ever seen?
Speaker 3: No, I'm not gonna be construct those. There's some shit movies out there for me, and there's I've seen a lot of them. But the only one I ever remember walking out of was a film called Highlander two. The quickening was that the sub that was the worst thing I've ever seen. I walked out it was so bad. Now, mind you, I don't think I ever saw Highlander, but Highlander two was.
Speaker 1: So well, you liked it. The iron The irony, of course, is that the tagline for Highlander one is that can be only one? And then.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well that's the fucking that. That's where we start to go wrong is the fact that there.
Speaker 1: Was a number two? Is it? You're very funny comedy? What's the film that made you laugh the most? Okay, there's a lot.
Speaker 3: There's a lot of films, but I'm going to go for something that's not stand up because you know, all the Eddie Murphy films in my day were lit. Yes there was, but one of my favorite, besides Weird Science, which we already established. I think one of the films that made me laugh the most was another unsung hero. It's a movie called Galaxy Quest, and it's one of my favorite movies of all time. Perfect film, Thank you, perfect in every fucking way. If you're any kind of a geek like I am, where you played D and D or you know what it's like to play any kind of online role playing game, or have anybody in your life that is a nerd. My brother is a hard core nerd like I grew up with him being a dungeon master in my basement.
Speaker 1: And play with him these things.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's what it is. And Galaxy Quest is that. And Sam Rockwell can do no fucking wrong. I love him so much, amazing.
Speaker 1: The whole cast is a sigourney like.
Speaker 3: The whole cast is brilliant, And it's another one that I can watch fifteen hundred times and I'll never turn it off. So I left my ass off every time I see it.
Speaker 1: That holds up. Did you see Fossy Vernon No the TV show?
Speaker 2: Yes, Oh Fossey Vernon, Yes you did.
Speaker 1: Of course. He was brilliant and she was brilliantrilliant, She was brilliant. That was one of the best things I see in it.
Speaker 2: Agreed, agreed, So well done.
Speaker 1: Michelle visas you have been as expected, an absolute delight. However, when you were one hundred and twenty four years old by a hacking, and you were his work as ever, and you were rushing about you just finished doing The Moon's Got Talent and you were rushing back to Earth to do your new album. And you finished your album and everyone's coming. You said, oh, thanks very much, I must run to another thing. And someone says to you, do you want to take a break? You've just done means Got Talent and a new pop album, and you go maybe, and you're you're you're rushing down the street and you stopped for a second and you look up at the stars and you spontaneously combust. Yeah, you explode on the spot because you stopped and you felt.
Speaker 3: Oh you want to say that, I felt like a heat searing and ripping through my body.
Speaker 1: I feel like it, yes, but it was quick. It was like, what's that? And then you exploded and people covered in bits of Miss Michelle visarts, which for a lot of people is their dream. So you made a lot of people happy. And I'm walking past with a coffin, you know what I'm like. And I see some just some eyelashes and glasses on the floor and people just covered and stuff, and they go, what does happen? They go, They go, Michelle Visas just exploded all over us. And they go, wow, I've seen I've seen her life. That's that's what it feels like. And they go, yeah, and now what are we doing? I go, well, we have to get her in the coffin. So I'm feeling bits of you off everyone you're putting.
Speaker 2: That's so nice.
Speaker 1: Yeah you're still you're back together. Yeah, no, I'm sort of a sort of ghostly figure that and I'll pack you in the coffin. But there's more of you than I was expecting because of all the gear all the right. There's so much stuff there. The coffin is full. There's no room in there. There is just enough rooms, jams, just enough room for me to slip a DVD into the side for you to take across to the other side. And on the other side, it's movie night every night. What film are you taking to show the terrifying animal people of heaven? When it is your movie night? Michelle Visage go we're.
Speaker 3: Watching show Girls. We are watching in heaven. Those animals are gonna love, know me, Malone. They are going to want to be in the production of Goddess.
Speaker 2: And it's no better film.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 3: Imagine having to watch like a classic every single night of your life, like the same one.
Speaker 2: Thank you, thank you. Although Rocky Horror would be really.
Speaker 1: Fun to bring up there too, That's fine, that would be fine, but you brother.
Speaker 3: I guys, my daughter, when she was eight or seven years old, she was obsessed with two movies, Rocky Horror Picture Show and The Ten Commitments, And I had to find a way to buy it on DVD from.
Speaker 1: eBay and yeah, we'll go ahead.
Speaker 3: I think she saw it on the tele and she became obsessed with it, and I had to track down a DVD copy of it that somebody burned on eBay and so she could watch it over and over, and then she'd watch we had a laser disc remember those of Rocky Horror, and she would watch over and over and over again.
Speaker 1: I'd love to see how she turned out with those two. There an interesting combination.
Speaker 3: She's a brilliant kid, and she's she's sassy and gorgeous and she gets it.
Speaker 1: She's very sharp, sassy, gorgeous and likes rules only not ten. Maybe she likes maybe two rules. Michelle, what a pleasure this has been. Would you like to tell people anything to listen for look out for watch with you coming up? Other than your new album. You know where to find me.
Speaker 3: I'm always in the ether somewhere doing something we love. RuPaul's drag Race Rupuls Drag Race down Under is starting soon on Stan in Australia. I'm the host and I still call it RuPaul's Drag Race even though it's call drag Race down at Her because it was my room. But it'll be me as the host now. That starts soon on Stan and Whole Presents Plus and Everything Else is new season of Drag Race UK is on BBC three right now and Wole Presents Plus and Hiplayer.
Speaker 1: So yeah, I'm around. Thank you for doing this, Thank you for your time. I've really enjoyed this, been very special. Thank you for having me, my darling. I hope you have a wonderful death. It was nice to see you and you. So that was episode three hundred and twenty one. Head over to the Patreon at Patreon dot com. Forward Slash Break Goldstein for the extra secret chat and video with Michelle Visage. Remember to watch Shrinking season two on Apple TV that starts Wednesday. Very excited for you to see that. Goch Apple Podcast. Give us a five star rating and right about the film that means the most to you and why it's a lovely thing to read. It helps numbers and everyone really appreciates it. I hope you're all well. I really appreciate you all listening. Thank you so much to Michelle for giving me her time, thanks to Scruby's PIP and the Distraction Pieces of Network. Thanks to Buddy Peace for producing it. Thanks to iHeartMedia and Will Ferrell's Big Money Players Network for hosting it. Thanks to Adam Richardson for graphics and needs to Land Them for the photography. Come and join me next week for another incredible episode with a very special, amazing guest. But that is it for now. Thank you all for listening. In the meantime, I hope you have a lovely week and please now more than ever, be excellent to each others.
Speaker 4: Back back back backs, back by backs, back bus back back bas backs and tact by back back back back