Speaker 1: Let's talk about it.
Speaker 2: Let's talk about the May Hero. Let's talk about it. Let's talk about the May Hero. Welcome to the Man, Welcome back to the mail room of Everybody, Doctor Jesse Mills here, joined as always by Jordan Run to my on air producer personality, Man of the Street, Brooklyn Night to the Core by way of Boston and today. Yeah, is that a fair intro, Jordan, I mean the superlatives I keep I can't. I can't come up with any more superlatives for you well and longtime music journalists.
Speaker 3: So this is a really special episode from me. I am so pumped.
Speaker 2: That is a perfect segue into our guest, who are beyond honored to have that. Doctor Daniel Levinton is able to spend a little bit of time with us today and honestly, I mean this this could be a ten part series just because of this, you know, because truly there are a few people that get to actually wear the genius label. But he is, I mean, he has his brilliance has applied to his work as a cognitive neuroscience, a musician, a record producer. I mean to have that ear as a whole other level of genius and a best selling author. I mean, and actually, you know, there are authors. I wrote a book, there are writers, and I think Daniel is actually a writer. I mean, his words and how he's able to convey complex information really make him who he is. And he can take some of the most esoteric work that he does in the lab and translate it into things that everybody can understand without downplaying, and that is very, very difficult. Einstein was able to do that. Of all people, not that I'm comparing you, but I think you belong in that pantheon, Doctor Levitton. Just people that have made such a contribution not only to the professional literature and somebody that has a PubMed search behind him, but also that works in the popular space as well. He's the founding Dean of Arts of Humanities at Minerva University and James McGill Professor Emeritus at McGill University. Doctor Leviton is published six consecutive best sellers, not just one, including This is Your Brain on music and as a problem speaker on nerve science, productivity and aging. It really is a classic. And anyway, so I mean, I could go on forever about your intro, but then we're not gonna have time to really, I use the word pick your brain. Maybe obviously not literally because you can't, but at least figuratively in such a way.
Speaker 4: Well, you're you're a urologist. If you have to choose something to pick at, I would choose the brain.
Speaker 2: That's right, fair enough? Yes, yeah, we're all keeping our clothes on for this one today. But yeah, there's a lot of other people know.
Speaker 4: I may not have pants on at a boy, that's right.
Speaker 2: I mean, you know we're post COVID, but doesn't mean you ever have to go back to that. Yeah, whatever happens below the belt, but I didn't even stay below the belt. It ends up in my office, So you're right, Dad, you're right. Oh my gosh, I don't even have to do the jokes today. I don't have to do the jokes. But Jordan, I got Dad Levitton here. How are you, God, it's great to see you.
Speaker 4: I'm well, thank you. Trinity wants to get oh my gosh on air?
Speaker 2: Is this a Is this a certified service animal dog or is this a.
Speaker 4: No, she's a rescue. She was found wandering the mean streets of Pixley, California. Yes, outside of Bakersfield. Yeah, and she was rescued, fostered, and then I got her in September.
Speaker 2: Does she have that Bakersfield sound? Does she perk up when she hears.
Speaker 3: Merle Hag Grand Parsons, Grand Parsons.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yes, I could tell. I could tell she has that look about her. She's got a little bit of the Bakersfield but put some refined West La vibe as well. Dwight Yoakam exactly, Dwight yoakambe later day Bakersfield sound. Yeah, golly, we did some good stuff out here in California for country music and above.
Speaker 4: So yeah, let's talk about buff implicit. There's a hierarchy, that's right, implicit, there's a hack.
Speaker 2: Well, you know, we've got the Sunset sound, we've got Laurel Canyon. Ill never forget Bakersfield, for God's sakes, and in a lot of ways, we wouldn't have the Eagles without Bakersfield. So definitely absolutely right, Jackson Brown, I mean, Jordan, what am I missing? If a Joni Mitchell we're going to talk about today.
Speaker 4: Flying Burrito Brothers.
Speaker 2: Yes, there you go. Well, you got the grand Parsons exactly right, exactly right? Well, Dad, Yeah, I mean, just let's get into this, you know. So as a cognitive neuroscientist, right, you spend your life studying the brain and some of the aspects of the brain that are hard to characterize. But one of the things that I think you have been able to characterize is making an impact on conditions like Alzheimer's and Parkinson's movement disorders. And of course to this show, which is really a show four men and the people that love those men. We're all getting older one way or the other. And you quote brilliantly Dylan Thomas in your book Successful Aging, really in the first couple of pages, you know, we're all trying to rage against the dying of the light and also the who for that matter, great cold hope I die before I get old. But how do we do this? I mean, tell me what happens to the brain as we age? Why do we get things like Alzheimer's and Parkinson's. And I know I'm giving you, you know, not a lot of time for this, but just you know, start riffing on this, because that's what you are. You're a musician.
Speaker 4: Thank you well for the listening audience at home. Of course, doctor Mills knows the answers to all these questions, and he's feigning that he doesn't, so that I have an opportunity to talk, and I invite you to jump in if I got anything that contradicts your understanding, but you're too kind. Let's talk about diseases of aging. I mean, the big three are Alzheimer's, dementia, and which isn't necessarily Alzheimer's related, and well, let's say Alzheimer's dementia, Parkinson's and cancer and so across evolutionary time skills. What Darwin taught us is that the primary mission of your genes is to pass themselves on to a new generation, and anything that will help you do that becomes selected through the process of natural selection over tens of thousands of years. So if you're charming and you're not psychotic, you're probably more likely to be able to reproduce, and so charming as a trait gets passed on. Psychoticism tends not to. If you stick around to help raise your children, if you're the kind of man that is a good father, your children to be better positioned to pass on their DNA. I mention all of this as a long wind up, because evolution doesn't care about what happens after you've pro created. There's no evolutionary biological force to manipulate your genome once you've already procreated. So we see these diseases of aging because there's no evolutionary pressure to get rid of them. That's sort of the thirty thousand foot view. Evolution and the genome are driving it. Now, you know, they are environmental components to this. But we're seeing epidemic proportions of Parkinson's and cancers and Alzheimer's for a number of reasons, but the largest reason by far is that we're an aging population. We are old enough to get diseases that people didn't live long enough to get in generations before, in our grandfather's generation, and the diseases then have an opportunity to manifest themselves in a way they didn't before.
Speaker 2: I love that. I mean, so we're basically genetically whistling past the graveyard when he hit about thirty five or so. It sounds like and that you know we.
Speaker 4: Were, Or if you're Tony Randall eighty.
Speaker 2: There you go. That's right, yeah, Mike Jagger. I mean that guy still does more pilates than I do at his age. But you're right. I mean, I think that's a really critical point that people should understand, is that and I've made this argument years ago, and by the way, I don't know all the answers, but I do impute with a bit of Midwestern common sense in that that there was a study years ago, or a conjecture years ago that statins, which are what we treat men and women for cholesterol issues, may contribute to Alzheimer's. And you know, the common sense doctor part of me says, well, that's because we're not dying of heart attacks when we're fifty or sixty. So are we living to the point where we're developing dementia because we would have otherwise that gene would have already kicked in caused a widow maker heart attack.
Speaker 4: And that's exactly right.
Speaker 2: And we wouldn't have gotten there. And so it's not really the status is that we're so good at getting older that at some point something is going to get us.
Speaker 4: Yeah. I think that's exactly right. And the trick of course, we can talk about the amount of time you're on the earth as your life span, but the amount of the proportion of that that you're healthy as your health span. And this is a concept that hasn't really worked its way down to the average person. But you know, the idea of health span as well. Most of us were born, you know, we grow up Somewhere along the way. You might get mononucleosis or a broken leg or something, but you're generally healthy, and then at some point you hit a wall. It could be eighty, it could be ninety, but you hit a wall and you get sick and you die of that illness. And sometimes the illness in the case of MS or Parkinson's, can last ten or twenty years before you die. So the effort, I think is to make your life span is probably genetically determined unless you walk in front of a bus. Your health span, though, is largely under your control. And so what we talk about is trying to increase the duration of your health span.
Speaker 2: It brings up the point that we are seeing diseases of excess and you do an amazing job in your book, Successful Agent on talking about diet, and I think what you're saying there is that we're not really looking at longevity, in other words, how to live longer, but living better in that a lot of things that affect our lifespan actually hit our health span when we're in our twenties and thirties. You know, the rates of obesity, heart disease, metabolic syndrome which often leads to diabetes. Those are things that are certainly going to affect our lifespan. But maybe when we're sixty. But if you hit that when you're twenty. You know, if you're fifty eighty one hundred and twenty pounds two hundred pounds overweight when you're in your twenties, then that's going to affect your health span because you're not going to able to get up and move, and you're not going to be able to potentially not even be able to procreate. Interestingly enough, because one of the biggest problems I see in my fertility practice is ozobesity and trying to help men, you know, improve their sperm counts, which therefore is adding to not only their health span and their lifespan, but also their evolutionary span. And you're promoting that DNA a little bit longer. So I like how you frame that. Talk to me then about what you think the pillars of healthy aging and healthy living are then, I mean, what are Because as you said, this hasn't trickled down necessarily to everybody in the in our listening audience about the difference between lifespan and health span. So that's revelation. But then what our takeaway messages, even this early in our discussion on the pillars of aging, that we can do well, how do we prevent these nerded generative disorders just in case we get to make it to sixty or seventy.
Speaker 4: Well, so I'll back up and say that we now think that your health span is controlled by about twenty percent. Twenty percent impacted by your genome, your genetic endowment. Eighty percent is behavioral, lifestyle, cultural. That's a lot of wiggle room.
Speaker 2: Right, So you can outrun your genes.
Speaker 4: You can outrun your genes, right. So I would say the biggest factor statistically, when we look at epidemiological studies of millions of people and we assess them for variety of lifestyle variables and personality variables, the biggest predictor of health span and longevity and overall life satisfaction is the trait of conscientiousness. And this is a stir of personality traits that include things like doing what you say you'll do, stick toitivenesss grit, following rules when appropriate to follow rules. So conscientious people tend not to jaywalk, and so they're less likely to get hit by a bus. They tend not to commit heinous crimes that would ended up end them up in prison, which is bad for your health. And they tend to have a doctor. You know, they have a regular doctor, and they see the doctor regularly, and they do what the doctor says. This is key because I don't know about your practice, but a number of doctors tell me eighty percent of their patients have a note in the file non compliant.
Speaker 2: Oh wow, that's terrible. Yeah, zero in my practice. But I'll think about it now.
Speaker 4: Well, maybe you kick them out if they don't comply.
Speaker 2: You go, that's right. Oh, my stuff is so easy to comply to because it makes you, you know, have better sex and live longer. So you know, I've got great compliance. But that's just the luck of the draw.
Speaker 4: Well, I mean, I mean typically I think psychiatrists do all just gps and the chronologists they complain about this. So you know, you have a doctor. When you get sick, you have somebody to see. They've got your chart, they've got your history. Conscientiousness is a huge factor, and I would apply that to things like good sleep hygiene, going to bed at the same time and waking up at the same time every day to the extent that you can. It's much easier on your body. The human body is a Republican. It doesn't like change.
Speaker 2: Okay, man, they just do it out there. That's the Canadian and you talking.
Speaker 4: There nothing wrong with Republicans. You why change something that's working.
Speaker 2: That's right exactly, whether it's working for you or someone else.
Speaker 4: Not taking a partisan instance.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I get you right there. Yeah, we'll let that one fly. Yea.
Speaker 4: And so you know, good sleep hygiene, sleep in a dark room, no screens, two hours before bed, all that stuff. Alcohol interferes with sleepsyd you don't get. I mean, it might knock you out, but that's not the same as getting a good night to sleep. And then diet. I went down a black hole for about six months when I was writing the book, trying to figure out what the dietary guidelines were. And it's in our line of work. You have to consider people in the Mediterranean and who follow the Mediterranean diet seem to live longer. They are these so called blue zones, right, there's seven of them around the world or something. But it's not just that they're eating the Mediterranean diet, which is high in fish and fresh vegetables. It's that they're walking a lot, they engage in manual labor, they have family support.
Speaker 2: Networks, friends, and family clothes. Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so we don't know that it's the diet. And my view, which might be somewhat controversial, is if there was clearly a superior diet vegetarian, vegan, omnivore, keto, Mediterranean, whatever it was, if it was clearly superior, we'd know.
Speaker 2: And we don't, right well, clear superior. Also that you also mentioned in the pillars sticktuitiveness, and I think any diet that you can stick with is probably a good diet. But also you know, it's very difficult to stick to anything other than the Mediterranean diet, which is a whole, very thousand plus year old way to live. As you said, it's a whole packet, just not just the diet.
Speaker 4: As Woody Allen said, you can live to be one hundred if you just give up all the things that make you want to live to be one hundred.
Speaker 2: That's right, exactly right, Yeah, And that goes back to the idea of health span and lifespan is exactly right, although you know you've mentioned that in your book too. I mean, there's plenty of examples of people that are smoking somepart cigars and drinking and brandy every night. They lived one hundred and twelve. It's amazing what we can do that those might be the twenty percent that have a little bit of a genetic predisposition.
Speaker 4: Oh, for sure. I think it's wrong to look at these outliers. I mean, it's smart to look at this statistically. There's a bell curve, and you know, eighty five percent of people are in the middle of this curve, and then there are a few strays on either side. And yeah, there's one hundred and twenty one year old frenchwoman I think her name was Gene Callum.
Speaker 2: That's right.
Speaker 4: She was smoking, she was drinking, you know. I mean, but you can't look at those sort of like looking at Charlie Parker and saying, oh, if I become a heroin addict, I'll be a great saxophone player.
Speaker 2: That's right. Yeah, But I mean, you know the pre shows, Yeah, that's right. I mean, Keith Richards, your name the creativity is there. But but yeah, but they're not.
Speaker 4: You can't. You've got to base yourself on the statistics.
Speaker 2: And they're not on the same gene locus. I don't think you know, heroin addiction and amazing sax playing, Otherwise there'd be no kidney gen So you know.
Speaker 4: I'm glad you said that, not me.
Speaker 2: You have a you know, you have a clear living example the guy that's doing it right. But I like it you said that because right in the blue zone again, you know, you look at Okinawa and you say, if you just eat enough fish, you're gonna be fine. Right, just there's mercury, but there's yeah, but then if there's so much mercury fish, but then the average American doesn't eat enough fish to even get close to a mercury level to worry about. And so if you're worried about all of the micro nutrients are the things that the environmental hazards, we're probably not even to a level. We get into that because of that sticktuitiveness and that inability to say I'm going to adopt a lifestyle instead of a diet. But you're right, and also you know you're not. I mean, I can I'm I'm looking at my office at Arawon here in Santa Monica, and and I can need as much arow and smoothies and take as much seaweed as I want. But but I'm still not that more than a quarter mile from the on ramp to the four h five. So I'm probably breathing in too much lead and break dust and Lord knows what else that that I'm not gonna have to worry about if i moved to Sardinia or Okinawa.
Speaker 4: So so the environmental toxins are the early evidences. They're implicated in Parkinson's and MS. We're not sure.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and that's what I wanted to do I asked about. Yeah, a lot of a lot of MS data show there's northern climates, industrial climates, especially that there is a there's a little bit of a predisposition there that that isn't necessarily genetic as you were.
Speaker 4: It's interesting you mentioned this because I spent twenty years in Montreal at McGill and the For one thing, there was a lead smelting plant on the island in Montrealsen Island, and the level of toxins in the air were so high that at one point, my physician said, you know, you could smoke a cigarette a day and it wouldn't even make a dent in what you're getting in through the air here.
Speaker 2: Wow, and that's why you picked up smoking. Yeah, amazing, that's the world. That's the lesson. The moral of the story doesn't matter.
Speaker 4: Actually from it. This is a bit of a diversion. But from a neuroscientific standpoint, nicotine is possibly the ideal drug because it can cause you you it can increase memory capacity, it can increase focus and attention without giving you the jitters the way too much coffee does. It's not necessarily responsible for adverse heart events. It's the delivery method that's the problem. It's the smoking that's the problem. So some friends of mine have been taking nicotine gum just now and then the way you would reach for a cup of coffee. And I asked my neurologist about this yesterday and he was all for it.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, yeah. I think I read, you know, way back in medical school learning about schizophrenia, that that nicotine has a unique position in the mind of a schizophrenic that it actually helps sort of uh auto regulate some of their you know, their their missed synapses, and that's why so many, so many people with schizophrenia they tend to smoke, almost in a chain smoking way.
Speaker 4: I'm so glad you explain this to me. I know somebody who was it's a frantic and who had smoked two or three packs a day from the age of eleven. Wow, And by age sixty, the cardiologist said you got to give up smoking. And so the cardiology bought my friend this special box. I don't know if you've seen these, but it's got a timer on it and a motor and you put the pack of cigarettes in the box and the lid closes and you can't pry it open. And then every thirty minutes or whatever it was it was subscribed. Every forty the box opens and you can take a cigarette out. And so my friend, who had schizophrenia, every time the box opened would just grab a whole fistful of cigarettes.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So I was gonna say it sounds like one of your Stanford experiments you did as an undergrad, maybe in the rat lab, having a little buzzer box. I did some incentive coz that that's great. He figured out how to out the out fox the fox.
Speaker 4: But in fact my friend had a stroke and it damaged a great about a third of my friend's brain and my friend was you know, can still talk, but they totally Cigarettes are completely out of the question now and the schizophrenia has returned.
Speaker 2: Well there you go. So talk to us about stroke in aging and rewiring. And Jordan, I know you were when we were talking about this. You you came across some things that h Doctor Levitton had had brought up in uh, because you know you've had I mean, first of all, I didn't put your intro the fact that that when Joni Mitchell is quoting what a great songwriter and singer you are, and I mean that's pretty hard to beat praise like that coming from Joni Mitchell. I mean again, another Laurel Canyon resident and Canadian made it down to Laurel Kenyon just Likedil Young at all. But yeah, I mean, how does the brain tell me about stroke? And let's just jump into music in that, because I mean I cannot let you not talk about your work in music in cognitive science.
Speaker 4: Thank you. So as you know your listeners may not know there are two kinds of stroke. There's a hemorrhagic stroke where a blood vessel bursts and it bleeds through your brain, or there's a chemic stroke where there's a clot and either one can damage the brain. It damages it in different ways. My understanding is that as chemic strokes tend to be more localized, but it depends on how far back then the blood vessel they are and what they're feeding. I mean, it's hard to draw generalizations. The problem with the brain bleed, though, if it's not caught, is that then the blood just fills the cavity and presses on the cerebral spinal fluid and all hell breaks loose. So the way we treat stroke is, if you've got risk factors, we either give you a blood thinner or a blood clotter, and basically you get to choose which way you want to die. Do you want to die from a clot or because they can't treat both. Right, But Joni had an aneurysm burst, as you know, in twenty fifteen March, and she was in a coma for three months, and when she got out of the hospital, her neuro surgeon thought that there was no chance that she would ever recover speech or movement, and so he sent her home without any follow up care. I mean, he wrote a prescription for twenty four hour nursing, but nothing in terms of care. I figured it was a lot cause, but I visited her, and I write about this in my new book I Heard there was a Secret chord.
Speaker 2: Yeah, oh man, it just gives me chills to hear. The title of that book one of the best songs in the history of rock and roll.
Speaker 4: I visited her two days after she got back home, and you met with the nurses, and it was Yeah, she couldn't talk, she couldn't walk, she couldn't express anything. Do you want to drink of water? She couldn't nod or shake, you know. But when music was coming from the other room while the nurses were on break, something in her kind of perked up, and I thought, well, maybe the way to reach her is to play her music that we know she likes. And she had invited me to help her curate an album of her favorite songs called Starbucks Artist's Choice, and I think there were sixteen songs on it. We spent many hours listening through her collection figuring out what should go on it, and by definition, these were her favorite songs, and so I played her the first cut on the album, and she seemed to respond in a positive way, so the nurses played her that album, you know, throughout the day for the next two weeks. And we now know that listening to music you like can increase dopamine. My lab was the first to show that that dopamine is released by pleasurable music, and we found the mechanism we found where it's the limbic system, the nucleus succumbents the ventral tagmental area, the same region that is active when you have an orgasm, when you are hungry and you eat, when you're a gambler and you win a bet, listen to music you like, that same pleasure mechanism comes in. So it's affiliated, I guess you say, with sex, drugs, and rock and roll.
Speaker 2: And very white. I was going to say, but you know, he transcends all of them except the dug part. Yeah good lower d yes.
Speaker 4: Yes, yes, it does.
Speaker 2: Oh, well done, well done.
Speaker 4: So dopamine. It also our allowed was the first to show that we listen to music you like, your brain produces its own opioids, its own internal analgesics. Dopamine does different things in different parts of the brain and in the limbic system it signals pleasure, but in the frontal lobes it helps spur motivation, and in the basil ganglia it helps to create smooth and continuous movements. The reason Parkinson's patients have trouble walking is because the basil ganglia dopamine circuits are degraded. But that dopamine was enough to motivate her to want to get better, and so I hired a team of speech therapists, physical therapists, occupational therapists, and a neurologist to come to the house and within two years we were able to go out to dinner together. And then I think four years later, whatever it was, she played a Newport folk festival. Maybe six years later. I'm fuzzy on the dates.
Speaker 2: That's about right.
Speaker 4: Yeah, wow.
Speaker 2: So do you think it's because of who she was and what she did? Is her brain respond differently to be a musical genius as she is to that or in other words, as somebody was just reading me surgical books while I was in a coma, would it, you know, would it wake me up? Or would I respond to music just because I'm a lover of it, not that I'm a player? Of it.
Speaker 4: So for the audience, Doctor Mills and are both research scientists as well as writers. And the difficulty with research is that no two brains are alike and knows who brain injuries are alike. And so what we try to do when I do my MRI studies fMRI studies brain scans, I try to get twenty or thirty people and find what's common to all of them, because one brain doesn't really help you predict what another brain will do, but the average is somewhat stable. So I don't know. I can't know. It's it's unknowable whether Joni's brain was I mean, obviously it was special, She's a genius. Was it special in a neuroprotective way or in a neuroplastic way, We don't know. David Crosby, who knew her wells, told me that he thought that it was her recovery was unique to her because she has such an indomitable spirit. Yeah, And I mean, that's that's the Jonie. I know. She is just fiercely in charge of her life and will not take no for an answer. And that's you know, you're getting back to aging and the Dylan Thomas quote you started with, you know, I talked about conscientiousness for sleep and diet, But the other see that's really important is curiosity and curious people. That's the second most important statistical factor in overall life satisfaction and longevity and health span. Curious people are motivated to learn every day, and that is neuroprotective because you're building up new brain circuits all the time and reinforcing old ones, making connections between something you just learned and something you knew before. And curious people also have more friends because instead of trying to be interesting, they're interested, and so it's much more fun to be with a curious person at a dinner party or a concert or wherever you are, because they're going to keep asking you questions and it's you know, they never get tired of it. Joni's like that, she's very, very curious.
Speaker 2: You brought up something I was thinking about in my personal history recently, is that I was an okay baseball player in high school. And I went to it a fantastic high school. So there are a lot of much better players than me, and I would get recruited every once in a while. So love baseball, grip playing it. Then you know, went to college, tried out for the team at UCLA, and here I am as a physician and not a major league baseball player. So we all know how that story ended. And I really didn't pick up a baseball for years. And then about six or eight months ago, the Dodgers reached out to me and said, hey, doctor Mills, we'd love to have you start for show. Heey tani. It didn't actually quite go like that. Actually was, Oh, we wanted to honor you to throw out the first pitch.
Speaker 4: You got to throw out the first pitch.
Speaker 2: My god did I got to the a first pitch and it was the first day that sho he actually started June twenty second, twenty twenty five.
Speaker 4: Now let me back up. Were you a pitcher, No.
Speaker 2: I was a first basement. I'm left handed and I had an okay arm, but a much better bat, and so I always played first base. And I hadn't played baseball for you know, really since high school. Maybe a little pickup softball here and there. But when they called me and said, doctor Mills, we want you to be out there to celebrate Men's Health Month as the Men's Health Champion in Los Angeles, I said, of course, and then my competitive brain said, I actin you'd probably pick up a baseball and throw it again. And so I went to this local pitching hitting academy down on in Sawtel in that sort of that West LA neighborhood, really cool place, and I was, by far by, you know, an order of forty years older than anybody else that was training there. But I would get on the mountain and I would throw a bucket of balls and it was the most meditative state I've been in, whether I'm writing, whether I'm reading, whether I'm operating. It just it triggered something in me that I hadn't really thought about, just a repetition of throwing one hundred balls until my arm was ragged, just to be able to get in shape to throw one pitch, you know, in front of an audience at Dodger Stadium. But it I have to get back there because it just it. So what was that? What do you do when you haven't done something for years that you used to love and then just put your childhood dreams on hold? What triggered in my brain that made me feel so good standing on that mound and just throwing the ball into a backstop.
Speaker 4: That's a great question, a great story. I'll start with, how is it you were able to throw after all those years?
Speaker 2: Well, it was funny. The owner of the place, who I love, he was great because, you know, again I was the oldest guy there. I told him my story, told him. He was like, ah, that's cool. So he actually started. He started. He brought out a speed gun. I was doing fine. I was throwing. You know, I was from probably about eighty percent strikes and the first time I threw I was in the in the low fifties. But by the time it was game day, he brought out a speed gun and I was up into into the low sixty mile an hour range, which was you know, for a ten year old little leaguer, that's pretty good material. You know, that's pretty good stuff. I could I could go into Little League and throw at that. But but I was doing pretty well. I mean, I still keep myself in shape, just not not in the in that sense. But it was very gratifying to even in those probably eight weeks or so that I trained for this, to see some improvement. Does that make a difference if I was actually okay at it versus just being terrible.
Speaker 4: Yeah, because the way we move, is that we have to engage a circuit in the brain that's called the motor planning area pre motor area, and it works in tandem with the cerebellum and other structures. But the idea is that any movement, whether it's throwing a ball or catching a ball, or playing a guitar or a piano, dancing, typing, these are require motor action plans, is what we call them. Your brain has to come up with a plan about what to do and what order. And if you look at touch typists who are and you shoot them in high resolution video and then slow it down, their fingers and wrists are actually a few letters ahead of where they need to be because they're anticipating it. That's the depth of the motor action plan. Or guitarists, pianist violinists too. So the thing to know about memory is that anything that gets in there that had an emotional packed an emotional wallop for you first kiss, your first time you drove a car, your wedding, or you know, more ordinary things like practicing over and over again, that's in there. That's in your brain. It's just a matter of finding the circuit and pulling it out again. And we've seen this in every domain that if you reached some level of expertise through your motor system, say it took you ten years to be able to throw like you did, or ten years to play an instrument like you did. If you drop it for thirty years and you come back, it's not going to take you ten years again. Might not even take you ten weeks. You get back a lot faster because you just have to reactivate those circuits that are already in there. Now. The euphoria that you felt, that's probably a combination of rediscovering something from your childhood that was an ambition of yours, Yes it was, and realizing that you're still pretty good at it, and then it puts you in touch with that motion was like Proost's Madeline or a particular smell activating a memory. Yeah, and suddenly you're ten years old again and your care free and you don't have blood on your hands and.
Speaker 2: Wow, oh Dan, that's so that's exactly right. Yeah. Ah, So what is that with you and music? Because you, I mean, you just keep you just keep doing it. So how do people is it is music? Something? Because other than you know people that you know that that can't play anymore for arthritis. You know Les Paul towards the end of his career, Peter Frampton recently. You know people Alan, Yeah, yeah, you know what is it about music that allows you to keep coming back to that? Well? Is there is there a dopamine russia euphoria that keeps some people going, especially people like you? That is you know that both and you know, one of the leading cognitive neuroscientists but also a recorded producer and player. You know, how does your brain work? I guess is the the's.
Speaker 4: The I wish I knew that, Yeah, I wish I knew. I think well, I mean, getting back to the statistical trends, people who learn to play an instrument at any age report overall life satisfaction, and playing an instrument is neuroprotective. Becoming a world class musician takes more training than becoming an astronaut or a neurosurgeon. It's tens of thousands of hours, and the neural capacity you build up, the neural reserve, cognitive reserve, is enormous and it doesn't matter when you start. I know people who started playing an instrument when they were sixty or seventy and they seem to reap the benefits of the neuroprotective effects. So anything that you can do that will build up new circuits is good. And the thing about music is not all the songs that they are to write have already been written, and it has all these parameters of tambre and rhythm and melody. And for people who like music and who like playing or writing music, most of the players I know will never play a song the same way twice. I'm up in Northern California now because I came up to see my friend Rodney Crowell play a concert in Napa at the Uptown Theater and he's got an all new band. He's seventy five years old. He's playing songs that he has been playing for fifty years. And I see him several times a year. Every performance is different, and that's neuroprotective, and that's what keeps him coming back. Can I do this better? And just to make a kind of nonlinear analogy to that, you know, can I do this better? You remember the old Who's on first routine by Abbot and Costello.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, of course I do.
Speaker 4: You can do a deep dive on YouTube and there are about forty or fifty versions of it. They were constantly tinkering, trying to make it a little better. Sometimes they failed. Well, it wasn't better, but the fact is they kept working at it so that they could riff on it. And what I get out of music. I'm just now at the point where Joni's been a mentor to me in my songwriting, in my singing, as has Rodney. And I've been writing songs since I was twenty. I'm sixty eight now, but I feel like I've finally, in the last year or two, gotten to the point where I can do something that stands up, that holds up. And you know, when Jonie said she liked the songs, doesn't get better than that.
Speaker 2: I mean, Stevie Wonder gave you some props that ain't bad he did.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we worked on a record together. He's amazing.
Speaker 2: Oh again, another genius that just yeah. I think there must be a something about geniuses that you guys are on this wavelength where you know, you get each other without you know, some X factor.
Speaker 4: I would not put myself in the category of Joony or CD or in the category of genius, but I think in the way that No. Two brains are alike. No two musicians are alike, No two geniuses are alike. And so it's not what's in common, but what's different that's so fascinating.
Speaker 2: Yeah, wow, you know. So one of the things we love to do in the show is talk a little bit about you know, what's fact and what's fiction and what's hype. And you did a great job and successful aging about and I think we covered the diet, nutrition, to eat, move, sleep, right, those are the fundamentals that we all talk about. But there are you know, you did talk about there might be some hope for supplements, you know, neurodegenerative aging and slowing down the process. And so at the time of that book, which is a couple of years old, now you know you were maybe mentioning something. But what what is out there that and and you know, again I'm a huge skeptic of supplements. I'll just put that out there and uh and again in a very common sense way, because I think usually you know, there's something else that triggers, whether it's you know, it's it's the seed in the grape, or it's the skin and it's not necessarily as verit well, or it's there's not. And then, for example, and I'm asking, I'm gonna I'm gonna rant before I ask you a question, Dan, but I will say, you know, the thing I get a lot is this, you know, the idea of n A D plus right or the uh sh right, thank you? And and the problem with it is is that is that it It's all right, we have an E rating, Jordan. It's okay. We can say, we can say the S word. I promise. Yeah, my mom's listening. It's that fucking bullshit mad oh boy, come on, let her rip now, letter rip. But uh but yeah, I mean, and yet everybody is you know, I mean, I just I did a surgery in Beverly Hills earlier. And uh you know there's three clinics on on four corners that that are selling drops and oral and IV even I mean, shouldn't I I should have stopped and gotten an IV of n AD plus.
Speaker 4: And it took us forty four minutes for you to talk about getting oral.
Speaker 2: Oh look at this guy. Gosh with the jokes, Jordan. I don't need to write material anymore.
Speaker 4: Tony cars and golf swing.
Speaker 2: Oh God, thank you, look at you. That's right now. We now we're going to really walk into the e rating. God damn, this guy is good.
Speaker 4: We earn it now, we gotta earn it. Come on, well, so here here, I'm going to be dogmatic here. There is no such thing as alternative medicine. Okay, there's medicine and then there's everything else. Medicine are things that have been shown to work. Now I would call vitamin D meta. Even though you can get it over the counter, it doesn't mean it's not medicine, aspirins medicine. If it's been proven to work, it's medicine. If we aren't sure whether it works or not, it's alternative medicine. The whole category is deceiving. It should not be called alternative medicine. It should be called we don't know if it's medicine or not yet.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, that is great.
Speaker 4: And so people get seduced by these stories of you know, n A D plus. Another dogmatic rule is if the person who's recommending it is selling it, particularly in the case of a physician, don't buy it. So Stephen Gunderson keeps clogging up my YouTube feed with crazy claims about how you should never eat tomatoes and they're poisoning you, and you got to get your supplements. And then there's that guy at Harvard who's the NAD plus guy, Sinclear Davidson Claire. Yeah, he for one thing, you know, an end of one that is experimenting on yourself is not the plural of anecdote, is not data well done. And you know, I remember talking to the head of the FDA at the time that I wrote the book about and a couple of other you know, like Harvard Nutrition Department people, not David Sinclair, and I say, what's the deal with this? And they said, well, it seems to show some benefits in mice. And I said, well, would you take it? And the head of the FDA said no. I said why not? He says, because I am not a mouse, right, And not to drive the point home too hard, but about ninety seven percent of the stuff that works in mice does not work in humans, and a high percentage of that is actually harmful to humans. Yeah, mice are not just little humans in fuzzy suits.
Speaker 2: That's right. Yeah. Imuring data is so hard to extrapolate just because the I span is you know, it's accelerated. But but you know, then just go back to secaramices and looking at yeast and yeah, we have gene homologies, but the organism is so different it's it's hard to extrapolate. And I think that's that's fair. I mean, and by the same token, then you know, should I be throwing out all my seed oils because you know in the seed oil data is such as such a when you look at the amount of seed oil that you have to ingest, whether you're a mouse or a human, to show any kind of worry for aunca genesis, it's you know, you'd be having gallons of it a day and time.
Speaker 4: Was Michael Pollen on this just you know, eat a variety of foods and eat the food itself. There was this whole big thing with fish oil. You may remember, Oh yeah, of course we were all supposed to take fish oil tablets. And then he realized because omega threes were present in the fatty fish like mackerel and salmon, and the more omega threes the better. But when you extract the omega three from the rest of the micro nutrients contained in the fish and the other chemicals, they cause cancer.
Speaker 2: That's right.
Speaker 4: You have to get them as part of a whole diet. So, you know, I think Michael's right, eat a variety of foods, more plants than than you probably think is normal. Right, And but you know, enjoy y know, Michael has Michael and I went out got an ice cream cone recently. I love So you know it's not you can't never eat ice cream, but moderation.
Speaker 2: Yeah. But and I think you said that because that goes back to one of the pillars of longevity is friendship and enjoying doing what you do. And so if you enjoy going and getting in a d plus ivs, then you should do that. But but if you enjoy you know, a little salt and straw or or your local your local ice cream vendor, then then you should, you know, you should have a little ice cream every now and again. Wow, I love this. I mean, you're a wealth of information, Jordan, you had some you had some thoughts or what did you What do you want to talk about with Daniel before we give him the kicker about what the secrets to his longevity are.
Speaker 3: Oh, this is such an unfair thing.
Speaker 2: A lob in at the very end.
Speaker 3: Now, I'm so sorry for what I'm about to do. But I mean music is the greatest passion of my life, and one of the things I love the most about it is sort of the mystery behind it. And I've heard you speak about how we see the remains of Neanderthal communities and some of the oldest items there are musical instruments, and from they've spoken about how the parts of the brain that process music are evolutionarily older and more resistant to brain damage. I just wanted to ask you more about if you could shed a little light on the mystery of music. Why it's been this thing that's been a part of our about being a human since the earliest days.
Speaker 4: What it does, what it gives to us, we don't know. We can speculate. It seems as though music preceded language, and it was good for emotional communication when you didn't need to refer to concrete objects in the world, but you wanted to communicate in emotional state. And we still do that. We do it with prosity. If I'm asking a question, my sentence goes up at the end, and if I'm making a statement, the sentence goes down at the end, and I can change my tambo. If I'm angry, I get like that all raspy, you know. I mean these are all musical components. Think of Louis Armstrong's raspy trumpet or something where his raspy voice, although he does it in a way that it doesn't sound angry, but it's still exciting because.
Speaker 2: It's called Ella. Fitzgerald, he just had Ella right by the.
Speaker 4: I know Ella was a patient at UCLA.
Speaker 2: That's right.
Speaker 4: Yeah, So I think ultimately it's because music isn't constrained and meeting the way language is. When when I when I sang language, I've got a pair of reading glasses. You may have an image of them, and I can hold them up and now you're seeing him, But there's still reading glasses. They're not a fern, you know, They're not a bottle of snapple. They're glasses. But there is no mew musical phrase that I can play that will convey a physical object in the world, or even a concept like justice or jealousy or love. I mean, we may take from certain musical gestures those feelings, but they're not intrinsic to the music. They're not in the notes. It's our interpretation of them. And so music's ambiguity is its power. It can project onto the screen of your mind and your emotions anything you wanted to, and you can find your own story in it. Getting back to Jony, I remember the first time I heard Jony's song Amelia off of Hezira about looking for love at all the wrong places. Basically, I just thought, oh my god. You know, the music, even without the lyrics, made things clearer to me, and so I think that's it.
Speaker 2: In a nutshell, the blues are blue for a reason. Yeah, all right, So I gotta ask you one thing before I let you go, because I know you're crazy busy as always, but but I always want to leave our audience with what one thing do you have to do every day to make you you because of what you're able to accomplish in a day? Is it coffee? Set, meditation?
Speaker 1: Ah?
Speaker 2: All right? How much? How much? And how often?
Speaker 4: I sleep seven and a half or eight hours every night and I take a five minute power nap.
Speaker 2: Love it?
Speaker 3: You still you sleep more than most people I feel like, and you still do all that you do.
Speaker 2: That's incredible.
Speaker 4: Well, I pretty much have to play music every day. If I don't play music, I get grumpy.
Speaker 2: I love that. Yeah, I have to listen to music every day for sure. Otherwise if I played it too much, everybody else would be grumpy around me. But if I listen to it, that's a whole other thing. Well, doctor Levitton, this has been beyond and honor to have you on the show and sharing what you know about music, about cognitive science, and and then you know, in terms of our our listeners out here, you've got to check out not only his books, but his music as well on Daniel leviton dot com albums and just just it's just a beautiful I can't even you know. Again, I don't want to say, because I know you're friends with Steely Dan, but I get a serious Steely Dan vibe from some of your music. It's just that melifluous. It's just it's so it's just captivating between your voice and just and your and whoever plays bass for you. My god, it's just wow. I know you've got an amazing ensemble.
Speaker 4: Well, I play bass on most of my recording.
Speaker 2: Are you kidding me? That's you too? Kid?
Speaker 4: God?
Speaker 2: Okay, well that was not even trying to be flattering.
Speaker 4: But Victor Wooten plays on one song on Turnaround, and Steve Bailey plays on the heather song and then on the most steely Danish song, which is headed for the Fall.
Speaker 2: Yes, it's a guy named.
Speaker 4: Andy hess Rose and Cash's bass play.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, I'm telling you though, it's uh. It's everybody. Please, even if you don't read his books, you got to listen to his music.
Speaker 4: That's very uh.
Speaker 2: You delivered on the mail Room. I'm so grateful to you for your time. And then the listeners are also grateful. Jordan. Let's let her rip and get him onto his next gig. Thanks so much, Dan, appreciate you coming on the Mailroom.
Speaker 4: Thanks for having me the checks in the mail a.
Speaker 2: Let's talk about it. Let's talk about the man hero. Let's talk about it. Let's talk about the man Hero. Let's talk about it. Let's talk about.
Speaker 1: The mail Room with doctor Jesse Mills was a produce fuction of iHeartRadio. It was executive produced by Jordan Runtogg. It was edited, mixed, and mastered by Beheid Fraser, and the theme was provided by long Transit. If you liked what you heard, please subscribe and leave a review. For more podcasts from iHeart Radio, check out the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows. This program is intended for educational and informational purposes only. It is not a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Consult your healthcare provider for any medical or other related questions or concerns. The views and discussions aired on this podcast or those of doctor Mills and do not represent the official positions of UCLA or UCLA Health