Speaker 1: Thank you so much everybody for joining us on this par Copper episode, and we've got a very special one today for a number of reasons. One because well, we already watched Read and Weep and we talked about Reading and Weep, but also because we're meeting something that is somewhat of a rarity in the world, a friend of Sabrina's.
Speaker 2: I'm kidding, I love you so much.
Speaker 3: I had to.
Speaker 1: I had to do it, not only a friend of Sabrina's, but somebody who has worked with Sabrina on a pretty cool project which we're going to get into. I'm not going to hold up anymore.
Speaker 2: You know, I love you Sabrina again. You please help us.
Speaker 1: Welcome author Julia de Villers. Hi, Julia, I've heard so much about you. Sabrina talks about you glowingly and Tru said you had such a wonderful time working together. And we're going to get into all of that, of course, yes, but we have to start with well why, I mean, you're here for a number of reasons.
Speaker 2: But we watched Read It and Weep?
Speaker 1: Why, Well, we did, and we love we liked Read It and Weep a lot, and we have several questions, and by that I mean a whole bunch of questions about the project and just curiously, how did the entire thing come to fruition?
Speaker 2: Where did this come from?
Speaker 3: So the short answer is, I guess read it and we've actually came from my brain, my imagination, which is kind of wild. One moment, you're, you know, making up an alter ego. The next minute, I guess it comes on the screen. So read it and weep was such a great experience. I wrote the book. It was based on how my private personal journal became a bestseller, and it was kind of a wish fulfillment of what I would have wanted to happen when I was a teenager. I loved books, and I thought, wouldn't it be cool if I became a best selling author? Where's the you know, where's the drama in that? So and Jamie is the most like me of any character that I've written. And the spoiler alert, the book actually ends with the main character getting a movie deal. Oh okay, So it turns out to be a lot like real life. It's almost like I'm manifested in a book. So let your listeners, anyone who wants to write a book use that as something to inspire them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'll say so.
Speaker 3: When the book came out, somebody at Disney was scanning the shelves at Barnes and Noble. She pulled it out and she said, I see this as a d com.
Speaker 1: Ah, that's just that's great advice. And when I leave here, I'm going to write a book where at the end I win the lottery, which will be great. So we can we can get that manifested in the world, which will be fun. Now, were you familiar with the world of dcom? Was this something that you were excited about? Did you know anything about it? Where you were you ware wry about going into the world? How did that feel?
Speaker 3: Just pure excitement? I had little kids?
Speaker 4: Yeah. How old was Quinn at this time? She has a daughter named Quinn?
Speaker 3: How old was she Quinn when we went to the set, which I think I've got some good stories for you about. Quinn was ten when that was filming, or ten and my son Jack was too little to come to the set and he's you know, forever bidder. So we'll put in another movie and get him on there.
Speaker 4: But so would they d calm watchers like were you seen d com? You were in the mom World of Disney Channel just on your screen twenty four to seven.
Speaker 3: Then my favorite was Stuck in the Suburbs, which stars Danielle Pana Baker.
Speaker 4: Does so okay, So then you get contacted by the channel at how involved were you able to be just alone in the castine process? Were you able to come into any castine reads or were they putting anyone's name in front of you at all? For opinions, I think.
Speaker 3: This one might have gone a little differently because they wanted to hurry into production, so they green lit this movie really fast because Danielle and kay Pana Baker had availability, I believe. So when they called me, they said, we have the two stars. It's up to you say yes or no.
Speaker 4: So the power that is very cool they gave you that that's pretty awesome.
Speaker 3: As a writer, I wanted to be low maintenance. You know, you don't want the writers hovering or you know, getting becoming an obstacle in the process. So I was thrilled that I even knew who was starring in it. Never thought i'd hear from them again until the movie came on the air. But that wasn't the nic.
Speaker 1: It's also I mean, that's one of the things we loved about the movie was you couldn't have done better casting where it's your older sister playing the idealized version of yourself. There's some things so kind of wonderful about that. I mean, forget about the fact. So Danielle. I've met Danielle and she's wonderful and as an actress she's phenomenal.
Speaker 2: But Kay killed it in this movie.
Speaker 1: Uh, and we've seen her in a couple now and she is really really talented.
Speaker 2: Were you was this kind of like just a home run for you? Casting wise? Home run?
Speaker 3: It was amazing, from Kate and Danielle to the zach Efron look alike. Oh man, I think who was still a friend of mine. He still comes to my book signings, believe it or not.
Speaker 2: Oh gosh, so sweet.
Speaker 3: Allison Skagliotti played the meanest, mean role but was the nicest person. But I have to tell you that I think you all owe me a thank you because if it wasn't for me, not really, Jason Dolly wouldn't be Oh Jason, Sir, Jason, Jason.
Speaker 4: Was this his first Disney thing?
Speaker 3: Jason Dolly's very first is the Chapel role, and I believe it or not, he wasn't the one originally cast for it. He was, I believe, the backup plan. And he might have told you.
Speaker 4: This, but he did. He did tell us this, Yes, And.
Speaker 3: What was really interesting was the other actor they had picked to play Connor ended up acting in other things. And he looks nothing like Jason. He has dark hair, and he started Jason is the epitome of who I had in mind when I wrote the character of Connor.
Speaker 4: Wow.
Speaker 1: Well, that's one of the things I wanted to ask you about because you know, a lot of times you talk to writers, especially television writers or film writers, and they'll write with an actor or actress in mind. So when you're writing a novel, the characters obviously created in your head. You're the only one in the world who actually knows what this character looks like. How close did they get? I mean, you said Jason was kind of right on the button. How close were the rest of them for the cast? Was it? Did you walk in and go, oh, there they are, That's that's who was in my head.
Speaker 3: Yes and no, So Kay absolutely, because I have to say, Kay is the epitome of a cooler version of what I looked like at that age. So I walked in and I thought, okay, was a mini meme, which is kind of how I wrote this first character. Now I have to put it out there that I in the book Is is solely a fictional character. She does Jamie does not talk to Is in the book. Okay, she is an altered ego, but she doesn't go back and forth. So you know, Danielle was a revelation. She's such a hugely talented actor, and the dynamic between the sisters was really incredible on and off the screen. So that was thrilling to see how they took my idea and brought it to life. And then all of the other actors, they were great. So I got to come to set, So we'll back up a little bit there. I guess I was low maintenance enough. They invited me and my daughter's set.
Speaker 4: Yes, so I thought we'd.
Speaker 3: Again be fighting in the corner. No one would know. I told my daughter, don't speak for the next three days. He walked in and it was just full on welcome. The cast came in and they said, I'm Harmony, and I hope I do it for justice and or they'd say, I'm Jennifer one and two, can you give us some backstory and motivation? So we ended up being really really part of the process, and you know, I love that. I thank Paul Howe and the director, you know, and all the cast and crew for making us feel such a part of things. Yes.
Speaker 4: Wow, so you were on set for three days?
Speaker 3: Then?
Speaker 4: Yes, okay, how fun? And to me, I feel like, obviously for you, it's amazing to see your book come to life, But how is it watching your daughter? I mean she was a fan, like you said of the Panabaker's sisters, Like, how amazing was it as a mom to watch her just like light up? And you know, both your kids have so much personality and they both act a little bit right, Yes, So how amazing was that to just watch her be on a set and see like, this is if this is what you kind of want to do?
Speaker 3: Here we are like, oh, it's you'll see it. And your daughter's dancing, so when you see he and glow and shine, it's that mom feeling. But also for good or for bad, it really did spark my daughter into wanting to be in the entertainment business.
Speaker 2: Hey, that's a good way of saying it. That's absolutely.
Speaker 3: She is a play right in New York City. She just had a very successful run off a play she created, So that's exciting. And my son again a little bitter in hindsight, he didn't get to come. So he's actually an actor and his first movie role was with Ross Lynch of the Disney Channel.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, sure all comes.
Speaker 4: Full certain I remember that.
Speaker 1: How so did you know that they were going to put like, put you in a scene when you got there? Was this something they had discussed with you? Or are they like, hey, why don't you come and just sit right here?
Speaker 3: Yes? So they said, oh, you do you want a cameo quinn to my daughter, and of course she said, you know, I would love to. So they brought her back to hair and makeup. You know, they fixed her cute little outfit. They put her in the it's the Pizza place and they put her at the chair and then they looked at me and they said, mom, can you, you know, just go sit with her and watch her. You might be in the background. And I said, sure, no hair, no makeup, nothing, So I go and I sit in the chair and they said, just be natural, have natural reactions. So, actually, we're sitting in the Dad's you know, bizarre pizza place, and suddenly I smell the worst smell I possibly have ever smelled in my life. And I kind of look out of the corner of my eye and I see the cast and crew just cracking up, laughing. They bring out this pizza and you can see it in the movie. They served us a chicken feet pizza. My daughter went, Mommy, that's not real, is it? And I said, of course, it's not real. It was totally real.
Speaker 1: Oh, you could spell it.
Speaker 3: So I make a fake that I will spare you because unfortunately I've seen it thousands of times, Oliver, because they did a close up on us, which is adorable, but I think I'm going to vomit. So imagine me like premieres seeing on the big screen moment is me looking like I'm literally going to throw up.
Speaker 2: My god, Oh I love that so much.
Speaker 1: Well, I'm curious. You mentioned that you wanted to be kind of in the background. You didn't want to be, you know, the overbearing writer. But that being said, was there any part of the book where you were kind of, you know, steadfast, like you can't change this, this this part right here is not up for grabs.
Speaker 3: No, I gave it to Disney. I trusted the writerstricken Beth Wow. I was a big d Coom fan. But they were kind enough to let me see the script, and there were that I thought didn't quite fit, just two minor things. So I asked, you know, I suggested those as changes, and they made those as changes, and then they changed a lot in the movie the I didn't have an older brother, I had an older sister. She did not talk to her alter ego and interesting ways, Oh we said flicked. I had it like them flicking instead of zapping. But when you say flick somebody off, that's probably not the greatest.
Speaker 2: You know, that might sound a little too close to another word.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah, So they changed that, and she in my book, she didn't really lose touch with reality. But that's a whole other moment. But one scene that made the movie from my book that really cracked me up was something when you were talking about embarrassing moments in Hollywood, and I remember you asked, Sabrina. I listened to your episode, of course, because I follow your podcast mostly because of Sabrinas's.
Speaker 2: I know, I get it. That's why I'm on it.
Speaker 3: I love the podcast. But one of the things is, I remember you had asked if she had ever had an embarrassing moment in Hollywood, and I actually wrote a scene that took place at one of the hotel clubs in Hollywood. I was working at the time for Mister T of the A Teen. Yes, I'll just you have to picture this. I live in Ohio, so I'm working suddenly for mister T. I'm out in Hollywood. There were tons of A listers. There were these really cool round couches, so I sat down on one and I lay back looking at the sky, and I remember thinking, this is a moment I will not forget. This is really cool. You know. I was really young at the time. And then all of a sudden something yanked my hair. I had a butterfly bar and my hair and someone else had leaned back on the couches. I look up. I see one of the Friends cast members looking at me, and he said, uh are you are you guys okay? And we both went we just like in the movie. Do you remember the scene where, of course, of course, yeah, Amber Tiffany's Tiara I had gotten caught in one of the friends stars of Friends here which friend? Yeah, David Swimmer.
Speaker 2: That's awesome.
Speaker 3: So I so we try to sit up and just like they filmed it in the movie, and I remember acting this out for somebody. We went out and we go through the Montopoi Hotel, the ladies room, stuck together, where we finally untangled. So that and then they pulled that right out of my real life.
Speaker 2: Well, you know, what moments have you ever seen him since?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 2: No, okay, because I mean that there's so many things, there's.
Speaker 1: So many interactions with people in your life you're never gonna remember. But the time you were connected to somebody at the hotel by your hair, I'm guaranteeing you he's gonna he would remember that instantly.
Speaker 3: So I can tell you I there are a lot of other alest celebrities. There were musicians, there were actors. It was the biggest scene place to be, and we went through them going excuse me, for me, excuse me? Me?
Speaker 4: Oh my god.
Speaker 3: Oh.
Speaker 1: I hope we get a chance to talk to him someday, because I swear he will absolutely remember that.
Speaker 3: Remember that for the moment, and the funniest it was as if you had written it because I remember leaning back looking at the stars in the sky above and thinking, I will always remember this moment. Out didn't we didn't weep?
Speaker 2: Love it?
Speaker 4: Was there anything in the movie that kind of bombed you out that they that they added in or was there anything that they took out that you were like, Ah, man, I wish they had. I know you were, I know how you are, and I know you would not You just gave it to them and and knew they'd do a great job. But was there anything that kind of went, oh man, they missed the mark.
Speaker 2: On that, or I wish I would have done it? Yeah?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I wish they would.
Speaker 3: Yeah, one single line that must have been put in after I read the script, and that was about having a nutty.
Speaker 2: Was it really? Isn't we we did a whole thing about that?
Speaker 4: Really?
Speaker 2: Oh man? Because even Sabrina was like, what does that mean?
Speaker 4: He will knew what that meant? Like, oh of course, And I'm like, I can only think terrible thoughts of whatever that means. That does not sound like a Disney line in any sense. I feel like it doesn't need to be there. We could have thought of something else. I'm right there with you again.
Speaker 2: Back in the day pitching a nutty.
Speaker 1: You can't, Yeah right, you can't.
Speaker 2: Don't flick a nutty. That's not a good thing.
Speaker 3: Will You saw decades of me wondering did they pick it up where they dispatch happened? I was like a second he an embarrassing watching her try to say that line.
Speaker 1: I thought, did you like now you said that in the book is doesn't interact with her alter ego? Did you like how they did that or was that kind of like not sure I would have gone that route.
Speaker 3: Well, Danielle and Kay did such an amazing job with it. Yes, sometimes I was a little concerned for my characters, especially as I said, you know, I wrote this character as a mini me, so I wld check to make sure that, you know, I hadn't talked to any imaginary characters that I have written. Most people, No, my husband may have said yes, but but he did so. I mean it was such and of the moment. Yes, it was really of its time. Everything from that computer tablet that she got to draw, and we didn't have anything like that nothing.
Speaker 4: We have said that time and time again about Disney being so much on the forefront of technology. We just did We've done Smart House recently, and it's like the whole movie, you're just going.
Speaker 2: It's just they just put their predicted the future.
Speaker 4: They knew.
Speaker 2: Everything all this.
Speaker 4: You're just going, how does Disney do it? I mean this is lightly This was years before any of this stuff that's come out. So yes, the tablet was so cool and it looked great how they did it, and you know, I mean, it was just so fun for me. I loved it because I felt like it really talked to a girls' teenage point of view. A lot of stuff that you go through, a lot of things that you kind of make up in your head, you know what I mean, as you go through those those teenage years. And I just feel like it was such a great message and it was just fun. It's an easy watch. You don't have to sit there and ask questions. There's some movies Will and I've covered that were like, I'm like, my brain was on overdrive trying to figure out what's going on? Why does the magic situation not make sense?
Speaker 2: Like all that this isn't the dog talking like the dog talking?
Speaker 4: And I think that I think when you talk about those two characters having someone an actual interaction I think made it make it easier versus like her being like on her shoulder or like you know, or in her head of some sort. Having them actually have interactions when you read it through a book is easy to do, but watching it on camera was it just made it so such a nice watch it did.
Speaker 1: I think I mentioned smack a little bit of mental illness. We talked about that a little bit as she's talking to imaginary people the whole time. It does maybe as a parent, would concern you slightly if you're walking around talking to imaginary people.
Speaker 3: Yeah, possibly it's a conversation between parents and children's about important mental health issues. Yes, absolutely, But like I said, I don't talk to my fictional characters. Let's make that clear.
Speaker 1: It was I think that, Hey, I have a friend of mine who's a screenwriter who he writes all the dialogue with two puppets. So he does the voices and the puppets are going, we'll have the puppet on you chan and they go back and forth as he writes the dialogue.
Speaker 2: So, wow, what the writing process.
Speaker 3: Rina our next book? Maybe we have puppets. We have a will puppet?
Speaker 4: Yes, oh my god, brought it up. Destroys to Rita.
Speaker 2: And never you brought it up.
Speaker 1: So we've got to talk about Please take it away because you both wrote a book together.
Speaker 4: Right, Yes, it's right behind her. Do you see that little bit?
Speaker 2: I do? I see it?
Speaker 3: Right next to it is the Indonesian edition.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Indonesia picked it up as well, which was really very cool.
Speaker 1: So how did how did you guys meet? How did this process start? Who came up with this idea?
Speaker 4: Come on, dish, Well, I feel like did we did Mel introduce us? Is that how we met? And how do you? I don't remember what your connection is with Mel?
Speaker 3: Yeah? So I met Mel at a book festival. Mel's a book person and a creative person, and she and I was doing a keynote and she came up afterward and she said, I would love to talk to you, and then we just hit it off immediately, as you do with Mel.
Speaker 2: Who's Mel?
Speaker 4: Mel's my manager? Oh okay, yeah, Who's been with me for years, like just a few years. Outside of the Cheetah Girls, she worked with Deborah Martin Chase, who we've talked about, who's done Princess Diaries, Cinderella, and also the Cheetah Girls. So Mel worked with Deborah and that's how I got introduced with Mel. And she's just amazing. She just she's the visionary. I swear she's just incredible.
Speaker 3: And she said, I really want to connect you with Sabrina Brian who's going to have a movie coming out called the Cheetah Girls. And went, how nice, thank you. Let me sign your book. But then we did an event. Do you remember this, Sabrina, Yes, limited to which was between the stores that were in all the malls and all the raining and we did an event at Legal Lands and it was a meet and greed and a concert.
Speaker 4: Jessica Simpson and Nick Lache when they were together, performed at it. Yeah, that was fun. That was that Lego Land, so fun Lego Land.
Speaker 3: So that's where I first met Sabrina. But what was amazing was it was right after Cheetah Girls was aired.
Speaker 4: Yeah, like just a few months after.
Speaker 3: I feel like, yes, very close after, and girls were coming running up to Sabrina and asking for her autograph. And I got to see and I you know, I joked, I didn't mean you were immature, You've never been immature, but you were maybe you were young and you handled it with such toys, and you were so kind and generous to all of the fans that were coming up and asking for your autograph, asking for Cheetah Girl stories. It was it was adorable.
Speaker 4: It was a really it was a fun, fun day, and we sort of talked about like kind of and I, you know, anything that I would ever want to write, and I mean not trying to this is also should be very inspirational in the sense of like I liked writing, but I knew I wasn't super good, like in school, I just wasn't wonderful at it. And it was amazing to have her take my ideas in us and teach me so much and work together. But where the Princess of Gossip idea came from was that was back in the day when my Space was huge, and that's just really aged me. But my Space was big, and there was I don't know if it was a girl or a boy, but there was someone on MySpace that was posing as me Adrian Keeley and Raven and they had four different myspaces and they were like she would chat like, hey girl, so fun, I loved that hat that you wore the other day, Raven so cool, And then she'd be like thanks babe, like kisses, and like it was I found these pages and they're going back and forth and it's not us, right, Like.
Speaker 1: So wait, it wasn't supposed to be fake, like you didn't they were. This person was actually claiming to be the four of you.
Speaker 4: Correct, Yeah, and would make announcements like We're going to be at this mall at three thirty and all this stuff, right, and had a lot of followers on it, and so I kind of was telling her. I was like, this would be such a cool idea. I mean, this is talking about like cat fishing before casha was a thing, and I'm like that just somebody kind of posing as an influencer type situation that we now have. This was before influencing and all that stuff. And it was like, but how cool would it be if they actually got into like events and we're able to like create this actual alter ego and become kind of famous. But nobody knows who she is. So that's where we started. And then she's I mean she came back maybe a week later with just the full I got all these ideas and I'm like, oh my gosh, yes, yes, yes, and we just started bouncing and then the book kind of just came to be and it was I love it. I've just read it recently again. Just it's just so crazy to see how relevant it is now because of influencers and stuff. Right, Like people actually have that as a job. Literally, that's their soul income now is something based off not based off of what you know. They didn't get the idea for me, but that's kind of what the book's about.
Speaker 3: So but talking about vision, I mean, you had that choo, so it's incredibly creative for ideas. Oh I remember you had an idea about identical twins and one of them was a ghost. That's always stuck my head.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, So one of the twins died during birth or something.
Speaker 4: Yeah. I mean, well, because my grandmother was a set of a twin and her twin passed away. And it's like, what if that twin kind of came with you along with your life. Like I've always been obsessed with twins. I wish I was one. I prayed so hard that I would have a set of twins. There's still time. I just am obsessed with twins. I just love it. So yeah, I would be like, what if I actually did have a twin and she just was with me all the time, but nobody knew.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 2: Yeah, one of my best friends is a twin.
Speaker 1: So he said, you're He said, you're born with a friend or an enemy for life, period forever.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I actually am an identical twin, are you?
Speaker 4: She is? It's bonkers. I mean I do.
Speaker 1: Friend or enemy for life, friend of me.
Speaker 3: Some of the books behind me we co author. She's also an author.
Speaker 2: John Amazing.
Speaker 1: My mom is an author and she co authors with her sister, No, so the two of them partner together. They do historical fiction novels.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, I would love to read those.
Speaker 1: They're really cool. They're they're actually very very cool. The first series of three is about a group of girls who get involved with the Boston Tea Party and the birth of the country. They become like spies for they've become American spies, this group of like fifteen sixteen year old girls.
Speaker 2: It's really cool. Yeah.
Speaker 1: The first one's called The Trouble with Tea. It's they're they're really great. So yeah, so twins is that that's a great idea.
Speaker 2: I want to read that. But it's a great children's story that's also such a d Coom right there.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I know it would be so cool.
Speaker 3: Yeah, okay, kay, and Daniel is the parents they ant.
Speaker 1: All right, Okay, you mentioned stuck in the Suburbs because we got to get back a little bit to dcom. Other than Stuck in the Suburbs, what were some of your other favorites?
Speaker 3: Well, it was what was really fun was right before read it and Weep was filmed in Salt Lake City. We did the whole Little America. You know. The movie that had just wrapped filming was High School Musical one.
Speaker 2: Okay, wow, I.
Speaker 3: Remember when you know they drive you back and forth in the shuttles and golf courts and things, and they kept saying, you don't understand who was in your room before you You don't know who Zach Efron is, but that was his hotel room vs. Yes, my daughter later tells that story. You know, Oh, you could wait till you find out what High School Musical and Vanessa Hudgins so we got kind of a sneak preview of High School Musical. So that was so exciting of course when that came out. But of course, you know I love the Cheetah girls. I mean I met Sabrino when like right after they had the biggest premiere I think in history, right, I mean exploded.
Speaker 4: Yeah that at the time, Yes, it was, and it was right when there was like a huge blackout in New York, so we couldn't believe that. We all kind of went dang, that sucks, like we just lost a giant region of what the viewers would be and it still broke the numbers of the time. So, I mean it was pretty pretty awesome.
Speaker 3: And then Rina invited me to Cheetah Girls concert. Great, you have to see this, so if you're listening, I will explain it to you. This is by Cheetah Girls, One World awesome. Yes, sticker, Oh my gosh, I love that. Youthing in my house I didn't have to go look for. But so what a journey that was. I love to jump in.
Speaker 2: We haven't done jump In yet.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's with Corbin Blue. Yeah, and we haven't talked about you working with Paul Holan. We'll get there. But he did jump in as well. And Cheatah and Cheetah three One World.
Speaker 3: Right, and that was my favorite. And then even recently on my three of my very close friends had a d com called Upside Down Magic made just wo maybe two years ago, so that's new ones. That's super fun. We kind of do that one, yes, because I did. We were there at you know, such a golden moment of d coms with cheetah girls and people and and everybody. So that was really fun. And the Disney Channel games, the whole era was so exciting, Jason, unless.
Speaker 2: You're on the team. Apparently, according to Sabrina.
Speaker 3: Oh, I tried cheering on the Yellow team. It was you and Jason, Dolly. It was really hard. I think defected Chi's team, but it.
Speaker 4: Just gets worse.
Speaker 2: That's great.
Speaker 4: That people noticed how bad we were.
Speaker 2: Was there ever a talk of a sequel?
Speaker 3: There wasn't, but there have been talks about other books that I've written, and you know, and hopefully, you know, I would love to have another d com. I loved the experience. Paul hon and crew, everybody was you know, so fabulous, and it was so fun watching the movie. I watched it again this weekend. You know, I don't sit and watch it like in a dark room, you know, for Will and Sabrina this weekend, and I just it made me so happy, you know, I loved it, so I love writing in this space and if something you know can be on the big screen.
Speaker 4: Totally, I mean that is your prime like demo, inspiring young kids and stuff with all of your books. So I'm sure there'll be many more d coms in the future, and especially since I know how easy you probably were, just like hands off, you guys, do your thing. I trust you. And I was really excited because you know, I didn't reckon when it came out and I watched it the first time back in the day, Paul Howen wasn't a name that I was like super aware of. And now what's amazing is I got to do the third movie with him. He did your movie and he's done a bunch other How was it for you with him? Like, how was that collaboration? I know how great Paul is, so how was that for you? With working with him?
Speaker 3: So cool? I mean I have to say I got to, you know, work with and interact with both Gary marsh and Paul Hohen. I mean, you know, it's legends. So with Paul on the set, they took my daughter off and they were swimming in the pool with her or something for I don't know, something fun. And Paul took me to lunch, so I got to know him over lunch and I just thought that was amazing that, you know, he would take the time to sit and talk to me about everything. So he's just I mean, he's fabulous. Yeah, he's so like you know Instagram stories.
Speaker 4: Yes, yeah.
Speaker 1: Now you also because you you haven't an interesting story in that you can show us both sides of something that maybe a lot of people don't get a chance to see. So not only did you have a DCM that was very successful, but you also sold a pilot to CBS.
Speaker 3: I did, and it's very, very different than anything I'd written. But you know, I'm a children's book author obviously, as you know, I'm actually married to a terrorist and gang prosecutor.
Speaker 2: Sheeesh, isn't that amazing?
Speaker 1: Slight, the slight, the slight, the slight, balance of life, I would say, the two sides of the coin.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So I would be, oh, no, I have to meet my deadline. I don't know what my character, you know, is going to what drama is going to happen to my character? And my husband would be like, I'm going to Iraq, I'm going to work on the Saddam Hussein trial, so there was a definitect.
Speaker 1: Wait, you're right, that's what Little Rosemary will do in the book.
Speaker 2: She will go to a terrorist ore goan to say, okay, wait, that's not gonna work. Well, thank you.
Speaker 4: That gonna work for a little.
Speaker 3: Very His party stories are great. So of course, you know, I've been writing steadily ever since have my Private Personal Journal became a bestseller. It was actually my very first novel that I wrote.
Speaker 4: Wow, I didn't know that. Okay, I did write.
Speaker 3: Fiction before that, but that was my first fiction. So ever since then, I've it's been steady and I've been writing books, you know, hopefully to inspire and motivate kids and teenagers and you know the people the growing ups who like to read the books too. So when I was talking to a producer friend of mine, and you know, I said, yeah, my husband, she said, well, there's a show right there. So what if the children's book authors start solving the terrorists and gang prosecutors crimes.
Speaker 2: Behind this great idea?
Speaker 3: So it was pitched. CBS bought it, and it was pitched to sort of been update to Moonlighting with a very bantery husband and she gets into his business, which in real life I do not because I'm squeamish. I've learned the hard way not to look through his files and things.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, yeah, I couldn't do it any.
Speaker 3: But you know, we'll get made. I don't know, but kind of a cool, cool thing. So that's my one of a couple adult grown up projects.
Speaker 2: That I that's really great. Well, so last question for you, if that's all right.
Speaker 1: I got to ask, of all of the ip that you have, of all the books that you've written, if you could pick one to become the next d com, which one would you pick?
Speaker 3: Man two?
Speaker 2: Sure, you're the guest. You can do whatever you want.
Speaker 4: Thank you.
Speaker 3: Now I'm being high maintenance. Of course, is Princess of Gossip or whatever. Sabrina and I were brainstorming how to develop that into different media. No. I love working with Sabrina, of course. And the other one. Thanks for asking. My next book, Yeah, it's called Meet Me in Wonderland. This is a mock up because it's not out yet and it's a teen rom com that I wrote in you know, keeping the old school d coms in mind. It's actually inspired by my own high school job at Chuck E Cheese. As Chuck E cheese.
Speaker 1: You were chuck e chee, you were chucky.
Speaker 3: Oh my gosh, thing I wouldn't admit for a long time, but now it's out. The opening chapter takes place. The girl is in a sweaty mascot costume, just like I had to do me. She stumbles into the employee breakroom to get some fresh air because you can just think of the stench of s a sewer wrap costume. He stumbles into the breakroom, she just like me, takes off the head, your hair, staticky, your sweaty. You look and you see the cutest boy you've ever seen in your entire life sitting there for got his new job application. Oh that happy and that really happened I in my real life. I tried to shove the head back on and back out of the room so he see me in what she drips falls and you know, and a whole dramatic meat cute ensues.
Speaker 2: Did you date in real life? I have to know? Did you date in real life?
Speaker 4: You did?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 4: He gets the guy.
Speaker 3: You know I write about. I really want kids to be validated that you can, you know, have these embarrassing moments. Have I had a really rough middle school after having a great you know, growing up childhood at a rough middle school. And I think that's why it tappened too that age group, because I want, you know, kids to realize that you know, yes, you can be embarrassed, humiliated, you can be bullied, all these terrible things you know that kids go through in drama. But look at the kind of things that can happen, you know, afterwards in life. And also if it didn't happen to me, I wouldn't have all this material to write about.
Speaker 2: So right, exactly.
Speaker 4: Totally, and you get through it, you know what I mean. It's you know, when time is tough and and I just that age is so hard. We stayed a lot on on the podcast of these things that we see in d com and it's like that comes where whoever was writing it, that came from somewhere probably yeah, because it is rough to go through such a hard time. It's just being a teenager is not easy. It's you're you're growing, You've got a little bit of independence, you want to fight for more, you know, you're trying to figure out how things are just working out whatever, and but you get through it. You know, there is it, there is another side take your learning lessons and well.
Speaker 1: What's the old thing is it? Is it trauma plus time equals comedy.
Speaker 4: I don't know, but I love that.
Speaker 3: Love that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's what happens. I mean, that's just how it is. So you have to you have to flip it and make it your own.
Speaker 4: So totally.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I mean Will cracks me up because he talks about how like he's like, oh, that just wasn't me. I wasn't the cool guy. And I'm like, you were like so many people's first crush. They're probably still crushing on you.
Speaker 2: Like very sweet. No one I knew, very sweet.
Speaker 1: No one believes you will your Well, it's true, it's true. I didn't have a date on prom night, so I ended up in the parking lot of a bowling alley with a bunch of hippie kids and we couldn't even rent shoes because they were wearing tivas with no socks, and they wouldn't rent us the shoes because no one had socks. That was my prom night. So yeah, I promise you. Yeah, Trump time equals comedy. You could laugh at it now your.
Speaker 3: Face is plastered all over you know girls walls, and yeahous weird.
Speaker 1: Well, I'm I'm convinced it was just because the pictures were load bearing in the house would have fallen down without them. Oh, thank you so much for joining us.
Speaker 2: This was awesome. Everybody, Please go out read all the books.
Speaker 1: We've got, Princess of Gossip of course, which was also written by our very own Sabrina Bryan, and your new one coming out, Meet Me in Wonderland, which sounds incredible. And then we've got the goat the original because it was read it and weep on Disney. But it was how my personal Journal became a bestseller?
Speaker 3: Right, yes, and will on set they hadn't changed the name yet to read it and weep, and I think they finally gave up on trying to Danielle and Ca actually gave me a mug afterwards with how my private personal journal became a bestseller?
Speaker 2: Love came here you go.
Speaker 3: I think they just couldn't say it anymore, and honestly neither could. I.
Speaker 1: Well, please come back and join us again, and we want to know all about the new book when it comes out. And of course when that becomes a d com, we'll uh we gotta watch that one too, So that's too.
Speaker 3: Cool well and Sabrina. This was so much fun. Thank you for thank you for coming.
Speaker 4: It was so good seeing you again. I can't wait till we can get together.
Speaker 3: Can't wait.
Speaker 2: I'm joining, I'm joining.
Speaker 4: Yes, you're you're.
Speaker 3: In, You're in the click now.
Speaker 2: Yes, I'm so excited.
Speaker 1: I'm such a I'll get my cheetah chatter down and my my all my read it and weep stuff and I'll.
Speaker 3: Sell he won't zap you away from the lunch table, or.
Speaker 1: Please don't flick me, or I will have a nutty. That's all I'm saying. Thank you so much, bye, thank you.
Speaker 2: By She is so sweet, isn't she the sweetest?
Speaker 4: I just love her.
Speaker 2: I can't you know.
Speaker 1: The interview amazing, the book's incredible, the dcom wonderful. But I'm the thing I'm taking away from this is what a great idea that is of yours of the twins where one of them's a ghost.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think it'd be so cool. We're really trying to like sess that out and figure out.
Speaker 1: How to give a name to a title. There's got to be a great title for that.
Speaker 4: No, we haven't gotten to the title part. We're kind of just still, we really do want to do something with Princess of Gossip that's kind of where like where can we take it, you know, whether it is something like a d com or is it something we could do on a podcasting type thing. And because there's just so many adventures that that that main character could still go on, sure continue, especially nowadays because it's actually very relevant now.
Speaker 3: It is.
Speaker 2: It's almost answers in a way.
Speaker 1: It's almost like Leonardo DiCaprio's movie Catch Me if you Can. Yeah, but for for for more based on a you know, the female side of it, where it's likely somebody who's getting into all these cool events and is kind of lying their way into everything, and yeah, the real kind of question becomes who are they really?
Speaker 2: Do they even know who they are exactly?
Speaker 4: So yeah, where's the reality of life for them? And I mean it all came from an actual fan of the Cheetah Girl that I found and it was like I can say I was catfish, but it was like in such a the best way to be catfish because it gets a safe way is safe way and there was no harm being done, you know, she just whoever it was, was just living this like idea of being a cheetah girl and what that would be with friends. So it was safe and and it was okay, I'm not condoning catfishing, but.
Speaker 1: No, of course not unless you're actually fishing for catfish, in which case we can done that all day.
Speaker 2: That's a healthy practice. Go get some catfish, but don't do the other one. Yes, So thank you everybody so much for joining us.
Speaker 1: Thank you Julia de Villars for joining us. That was such a fun conversation. And you can see how you guys get along so well and seem to work together so well, and we're hoping for big things from both of you in the future. Join us over on the other feed where we watch our next movie, because we can't do this without you. You need to watch with us. We're having so much fun and we will see you next time. Bye everybody, Bye,