Speaker 1: Quest Love Supreme is a production of iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: Okay, I'm going to downplay this and say I'm a little excited to have some good old political talk in this good old political season with somebody who knows what they're talking about. And it's excited to get people out and vote, ladies and gentlemen, voters and voters. Introducing Adrianne Shopshire, the executive director of B Pack.
Speaker 3: Hi, Adrian, how are you doing?
Speaker 4: I am doing well, Thank you?
Speaker 2: Are you like the rest of us, We're a little more excited than maybe we were in uh let's say early August.
Speaker 4: Yes, well, if I could quote Michelle Obama at the DNC, hope is making a comeback.
Speaker 3: So yes it is. And let's talk about you and your place in this process.
Speaker 2: Let's talk about b packs because I like to have conversations too on a very basic level. So everybody understands the language. So b pack Black Progressives correct.
Speaker 4: Black Coggre'sive Action Coalition.
Speaker 2: Action Coalition, and you guys are a pack correct in the formal sense of the word pack.
Speaker 4: So there are two different organizations that work together. So b pack is our nonpartisan entity. We make sure that people do the education with folks to make sure that they understand how to vote, where to vote, understand the issues. We talk about what's at stake with folks. Black pack is the actual pack, and so that work is much more partisan. We're talking about candidates. We're making sure that people, you know, understand not just what's at stake, but how dangerous some candidates might be versus others.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I was just thinking to myself, Okay, so I'm going to try to make this really an easy conversation for you to stay nonpartisan. However, this election kind of makes it a little hard. But I'm sure you understand that as.
Speaker 4: What do I do?
Speaker 3: So let's talk about a voting plan. What is it? What should it look like in the season.
Speaker 4: Well, so we know that the last few elections that we have had in this country have been chaos, both leading into them and in twenty twenty coming out right, and so what we always encourage people to do is to, like you make a plan for doing anything else that you put a plan together for how you're going to get your vote cast, and then figure out if there's something you need to do to make sure that your vote actually gets counted. If you end up in that category. So what we say to people, particularly right now because election laws have been changing in states, right we know there's been a lot of attempts to suppress the vote, and particularly suppress the black vote. And we know that right now in states across the country, there's lots of shenanigans going on where people are actually kicking us off the rolls. So some folks are you going on randomly to just check and make sure their voter registration status is still intact and finding out that they've been removed from the role.
Speaker 3: Okay, so let's start there.
Speaker 2: Yes, how do we make sure that our registration is intact? And is that state by state or is that a general answer?
Speaker 4: It is state by state. But BPAC has a toolkit. It's Bpacdemocracytoolkit dot Com. That's b as in boy P as in paul Ac, Bpacdemocracytoolkit dot Com. And you can go there and it will guide you through some steps to be able to check your status. So you can check your registration status. You can get registered if you need to. So these are all the steps when you're building a plan. Check your registration status, if make sure you're registered, register if you need to register, find out where your polling place is. Decide if you want to vote, if you are allowed, if you want to vote by mail or get an absentee ballot, then apply for that appsentee ballot so you make sure that it comes to your house. We encourage people to vote by mail or vote by apps and tee if it's available to them, because it just gets voting out of the way, right, Okay, So can I just say to you, I was just having this conversation with a girlfriend because we were talking about early voting.
Speaker 3: We were like, oh, we should, we should really go vote early.
Speaker 2: But we're a little what's the word worried conspiracy theory esque and somehow in our minds we think that actually showing up on the day to the machine will will make it more efficient than sending in the mail and maybe it'll get lost or you know, just because of the last few years, and what we've been told is can you make us more comfortable with that action?
Speaker 4: So your ballot is going to get counted, whether you send it in the mail or whether you show up an early vote in person, or you show up on election day and you can track your ballot. Right, So you can track your ballot make sure that it got there. Right. In most states, you should be getting sent a notification saying that they got your ballot. But if you didn't, you can follow up with them and make sure that your ballot got to them or make arrangements. Right if they didn't get it, make arrangements to make sure that your voter is cast. I know a lot of people, I mean, for our.
Speaker 3: Community, I didn't even know about this.
Speaker 4: I'm so voting is a community action. We like to take collective action and demonstrate our political power. That's what voting is for us. And so election day becomes really important. It is a singular community action. And so I think that's why a lot of people like to vote on election day. That's important. But what we know is that a few things. One is that your vote's gonna get counted right, whether or not you do it on election day or you do it during early vote, or you do it by mail, and again we can track it. The other is that we know on election day there's a lot of challenges. In the States, there was a lot of craziness at the ballot box, whether it was you know, mysterious mysteriously you know, the charging cords for voting machines disappearing in Georgia right whether it is you know, things.
Speaker 3: Are happening right now as we speak.
Speaker 2: I was just watching the news, like things are happening to disrupt our vote right now.
Speaker 4: Lines are long and you end up an hour or long. So what we suggested people is avoid all of that. If you can get your vote at early, avoid the lines. We also know that there are proud boys showing up at polling sites trying to intimidate and threaten people, right, and so for our community, it's it's not only important to get our ballots, our votes in as soon as we can if we have the option, but it's also a safety issue, right like, let's get let's just cast.
Speaker 2: Our votes, and let's go with our elders maybe and maybe you accompany your elders and volts.
Speaker 4: That's right to your first point. Getting a plan in place is a good idea. Make sure register to vote, make check your voting status, and then decide how you're going to vote in person, by mail, absentee ballot. Decide what you're going to do and stick to that plan, and then you can track. Then you'll be able to track your vale, your ballot but there's also, of course all of the election protection folks that are out there if you decide to go on election day, right, there's a number of organizations that can help make sure that your ballot is counted.
Speaker 3: I'm sure they'll really be out to this year, so.
Speaker 2: That's right, Yes, absolutely, I wanted to ask you some questions to some basic questions too, about some concerns that others may have when it comes to their loved ones in different situations when it comes to voting.
Speaker 3: I know these are some of my concerns as well.
Speaker 2: If you can just give us a tip for these different kinds of situations, like, for instance, do you have a tip for returning citizens or convicted balance who are now released. Is there something that they should know about voting?
Speaker 4: So folks really need to check with their their boards of the rules in their states because they are different. And so whether it's you yourself you're returning citizen, or you have a loved one who's returning citizen, make sure you check what the rules are in your state, because we don't want anyone getting in trouble right for doing something they thought they had the right to do. And frankly, let's just talk about why folks who do their time don't have a right to vote on that part like that. So there's a you know, like there's we can think about, you know, what we need in terms of in terms of a federal law. Right, certainly we know that states.
Speaker 2: You know, but I believe I live in a state that allows such things. Try to live in a political correct state.
Speaker 4: Now there's only a couple of states that just don't allow it. But folks need to check the rules because we don't we wouldn't. We don't want people getting in trouble. But we also want people who have the rights who do.
Speaker 3: Know that they and to know that they have the.
Speaker 4: Right and to be able to cast their ballot.
Speaker 2: Let me ask you about another group of people who are experiencing this for the first time, parents who are sending their eighteen year olds off to college. Can we talk about them, because I would like to know was there something that they should have been doing before they left, or is there there's something that they should be telling them now, Like can you give me some words about well.
Speaker 4: I mean, I think there's there's two categories I think for for eighteen year olds. One, either you are an eighteen year old who already registered, right, and you were excited to turn eighteen year registered to vote. There are eighteen year olds who have not yet registered and are about to go off to school. So when I know that when we sent our daughter away to school, we took her, you know for whatever that move in week. We they have the big you know, on the yard, the student organizations out you know, trying to recruit people to the organizations also have voter registration stations, and so we looked for when we took her, we looked for the voter registration station, and we got her registered right there for the first two days, right that we were there. So if you're sending your child away, your eighteen year old who is not registered, make sure that when they get on campus there will be lots of campus organizations registering folks to vote. They should look for those organizations and they can should get themselves registered where they're going to school. If they're already registered and they're gonna stay registered in their home state, then they're probably gonna need to get an absentee ballot, and so they need to figure out how they do that so that they can still make sure that they vote at home. Or they can reregister if they want it, if they're already registered. If you in California and you go to Spelman.
Speaker 2: You better register in Georgia. You listen if.
Speaker 4: You're reregister when you get to Atlanta asrier.
Speaker 3: That's actually some good advice.
Speaker 2: It's like you sent your kids to one of these battle ground stays, you know, let them register battleground stage. Yeah, another group's expats, can we talk about how soon they should be looking into getting their paperwork together to make sure Number one, I guess checking their registration and making sure they're correct.
Speaker 4: But then they need they need a voting plan, So every everybody, all those categories that, yeah mention, all those folks need a voting plan. So you're living abroad, yes, you should be checking your registration status. You also need to figure out how to get your absentee ballot so that you can get it in right, so everyone can go again, and folks can go to be packed amocrasytoolkit dot com and follow the steps to get the information that you need or all this is there, yeah, Or you can go to the Secretary of State website in your state right and find out what the rules are in North Carolina, ballots go out September six. We just need to be getting information out to people because if I get my ballot and I haven't thought through everything, right, If I'm in North Carolina, I have the president, I have a serious governor's race, I have a state Supreme court race, right, And I may not know when I get my ballot next week that I need to vote for that black lady for Supreme Court, right, that I need to make sure that black man who's running for governor and is completely insane does not win, right. And I need to make sure that I understand that I am comfortable with my vote for president.
Speaker 2: I'm glad you mentioned a couple of states because I wanted to ask you about that, like what states you really need to be on alert for these.
Speaker 4: When we're thinking about what's really important. If you are in Georgia or you were in North Carolina, these states are critical states. And we got to make texaes too, right.
Speaker 3: I think they're trying to get your boy out.
Speaker 4: Ted Cruz. Yes, yes, yes, yes, Texas right, every all the states are I mean, I just want to be clear. All the states are important for different reasons, and part one of the things that is important for people to remember is that the presidential matters. There's also a bunch of down ballot races, right, we got congressional races, we got house races, we got talking.
Speaker 2: About the down ballot, right, I didn't realize they were all on us.
Speaker 4: Yep. So there is a lot of really important elections happening besides the presidential and we need people to pay attention. Yeah, the voting process is just longer, and so we don't have all of the time in the world. So folks really need to get their plan together now because they have access to in some places, right in some states, they have right now the ability to cast So folks need to get a plan together, regardless of what sort of.
Speaker 3: They are what they're doing. Yeah, thank you so much, Adrian.
Speaker 2: I know that you are heavily encouraging people that if they can early vote, vote and if they can, you know, mailing their votes to do so. However, if some people want to wait until the party day, I'm curious on does BPAK have resources for it just in case they don't feel safe, who they can reach out to before they decide to go out and vote in things of that nature, or just organizations that are supporting.
Speaker 4: So the you know. So one of the things that I would say first is that I understand that. And again, because we as a community see voting as a collective, active power, and so I wanted to show up and be there with everybody right to get your pictures on their mind, right, do all those things, put it up on social media. I did my part. I get that. Plus, the stakes of this election are such that however you decide to vote, you need to vote right. When we think about, you know, what our future looks like as a community, when we think about what is at stake for our children, when we think about what is at stake for generations yet unborn. The fact that we take right now will set in place what is going to be possible for generations down the line. And so this election is so critical that however we decide to cast our ballot, we need to get that ballot cast. What I would say is that for folks that are concerned, you know, we have partners in organizations in states across the country, right, and we are on the ground right in states around the country, So people can certainly reach out to us. But we also know that there is an election hotline and the election hotlines will pop up in states around the country so that if you get to a polling place and stuff's not looking right, you can call right, you can call if you have trouble voting. The election hotline numbers change from year to year, so I'm gonna ask that folks just pay attention. We'll have it on our website for sure. Folks can go there and get the number as they start to pop up. But there are resources, and there is support, and there is help if people are concerned about what's going to be happening at their polling place. I would say that folks, though, should vote early if they can buil your balady, and if you have that option, show up to the pole as a last resort. But if people want to do that, and I get it.
Speaker 2: You're making perfect since you're just changing my voting plan, Adrian, that's all. You're making perfect sense.
Speaker 4: I just you know, we tell people and take take some water, right, take it, take the next because you.
Speaker 3: Don't want some water for somebody else too.
Speaker 4: That's right, because we don't know how I got to be on that line, but just get there. Because this election is and we say it all the time every election is the most important election. Point forward. Every election is the most important election because we're trying to hang on. Yes, we're trying to hang on.
Speaker 3: Well.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much, Adrian Shropshire. I'm happy I pronounce your name correctly the first time around.
Speaker 3: I fl the executive director A B. Pat doing the work.
Speaker 2: I wish you and I wish us the best of luck in this election.
Speaker 4: Thank you so much.
Speaker 3: Hey, thank y'all for listening to Kuslove Supreme.
Speaker 2: This podcast is hosted by an Afro, a mouth, an engineer, and a man with too many jobs aka A mere Quest Love Thompson, Why Yah, Saint Clair, shugar Ce Mandell and Unpaid Bill Sherman. The executive producers who get paid the big bucks. A mere Quest Love Thompson, Sean g and Brian Calhoun ask them for money. Produced by the people who do all the real work Britney Benjamin, Jake.
Speaker 3: Payne and Yes, why you is Saint Clair? Edited by another person who does the real work, Alex Conroy and those who approved the real work. Produced for iHeart by Noel Brown.
Speaker 1: West Love Supreme is a production of iHeartRadio. For more podcasts from iHeart Radio, visit the iHeart radio, app, Apple podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.