Speaker 1: It's time for the b a q a a, the b a q a what you say the b a q a manday to be q a to be a qa a.
Speaker 2: Hey and Angel, how you doing girl?
Speaker 3: Hello, gorgeous pretty in pink. We've got some QC career questions today, so you know this port to Sandy show. Let's go.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 3: As always, y'all send us your questions. We love to get them. Brandimission podcast dot com. You can click ask us anything or slide into our d MS on I G. We are at brand Ambission Podcast on I G. And we about to get that blue check mark because we're gonna pay for it so you won't have to be worrying about scammers or fraudsters anymore. And how else can they reach us? Brandon Mission Podcast at gmail dot com. All right, but let's get into your questions, Tiffany, which you do the honors? I sure will while I stretch and get ready.
Speaker 1: This one is we won't call you dipping my toe.
Speaker 2: This is from ig Hi.
Speaker 1: Ladies love your podcast that I look forward to your show and advice every week.
Speaker 2: We love you two.
Speaker 1: Girl.
Speaker 2: I have a question about using LinkedIn.
Speaker 1: I've been a teacher for a long time and finally decided to explore a different career path to make more money. Good for you, It's time for me to create a LinkedIn profile. Do I create two profiles, one for each career path or do I design the profile toward the field with higher earning power even though all of my experience is in the current field. I don't want my current boss to see my LinkedIn profile that promotes me in a different industry.
Speaker 2: Or is that? Okay?
Speaker 1: Thanks for all that you do. You two are fabulous. Give me a good Suitay? Who I did a girl something like dipping my toe and I had that dipping my.
Speaker 2: Toe on LinkedIn.
Speaker 1: Girl, we call you dipping my toe. I love asked for that and I anticipated it. Honestly, I have no idea, Mandy, this is all you. So what should dip in my toe?
Speaker 3: Can we stop saying to it's one of my Okay, what should dip in that? Do?
Speaker 1: So?
Speaker 2: This is really common.
Speaker 3: People are really afraid of putting up on their like giving their current employer any indication that they may be looking. And I can understand that, especially if you have like an immature boss or manager or like like a retaliation kind of vibe at your place where people get like you could get punished, You can get demoted if they think that maybe you're looking elsewhere. But there are things you can do to protect your privacy and still have a LinkedIn profile. I don't necessarily think it makes sense for you to have two profiles, and the reason is one, you don't have any It doesn't sound like you have any experience in your new field, so what would go on that profile? And two your I wouldn't look at your education right now as a totally separate path. I think that there's so many transferable skills from being a teacher. You haven't mentioned what you want to do, which leaves me a little bit struggling to give you specific advice. But I'm leaning towards the side of set up your professional professional profile with your education background, study the job listings for the roles that you want, and really focus in on as a teacher, as an educator, any of those skills that may be you know, transferable into this new industry, and in the meantime, connect with people you know. You set up your profile, now you start building your LinkedIn network. The whole point of LinkedIn beyond just having like a digital resume and getting reached out to by recruiters is to actually connect with your peers and colleagues because you never know who could have a leg up or a way in to a new opportunity for you. And as a pivoter, it's essential. Like if you are wanting to start in a new field, why am I doing the joker lip? What happened?
Speaker 2: Did I drink some water?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 2: I just got to look at my own lips.
Speaker 3: Look like the why so serious? I fix?
Speaker 2: Well happened?
Speaker 3: This is bad promo for VENTI. But it's not you as me. It's not you as me Rihanna anyway. Okay, so if you are so, remember the whole point of LinkedIn is to connect, right, So you don't just want to have a profile. You want to connect with your peers and as a career pivoter, entirely essential. I think too many career pivoters obsess over resumes and LinkedIn when I really want you to put I mean, those are just facts. Put up the facts of your work history. But then focus on how can you start connecting with other people and letting them know that you're open to work. And this is the part that you're probably like, wait, how do I tell them I'm open to work without my boss seeing? So you can go on LinkedIn and you can turn on your open to work setting. So if you go into your profile and you edit it, you'll see this. When you're setting it up, there is a toggle like a selection for open to work. Now you can be open to work privately, which means only people who are using LinkedIn Recruiter, which is a special paid version of LinkedIn which recruiters and maybe some hiring managers but mostly like HR people will be using they can see or open to work, but the general population of LinkedIn users, including your boss, won't be able to see that. So that's one way to protect yourself. Another thing is you can straight up block whoever you want to block on LinkedIn, you know, including your boss or colleagues. If that's you know, what you want to do. I think that's a relatively safe thing to do, because if they're teachers, I mean it's not saying that they may not have a connection to a role for you. But if you're really worried about retaliation or just cause, like making an uncomfortable work environment for yourself, you might just want to go ahead, and you know, keep your private, keep your profile private to those people. But I definitely would say, if you're like pivoting into a new industry, which it sounds like you are, you need to start looking for ways to start upskilling looking for networking opportunities. One of my Mandy money makers. Hope she doesn't my me shouting her out Warena. I met her. She was one of my very first She was in the very first cohort of makers. School teacher in Virginia or is it Baltimore, shit, I forget now anyway, school teacher just like classic school teacher, burned out by the pandemic, you know, just dealing with a really really difficult situation, you know, in a working environment, really not feeling like she was on the right path, and really desperately wanted to break into tech. And she just and this is I feel like a reality, a realistic timeline. She just a couple of months ago secured her first job in tech in Warena. Yes, and Warrena did everything right. You know, she ended up switching teaching jobs even as she was on her journey to pivoting in tech because she wanted to get out of a toxic situation and she ended up getting a sixteen K raise when she switched. So but even on that journey, she went to you know, afro Tech. Afro Tech has great tech focused conferences in all different cities. She would go to those events. She found I feel like every other month on LinkedIn Warna would be at some sort of women in tech networking event and just continuing to tell people I'm an educator now I really want to roll in tech and ended up finally breaking in so that work the sooner you start that connection work, which is the hard part. LinkedIn is easybabes. Don't get stuck here, the better, especially if you're pivoting into a new role. Hopefully that answers your question. I can't think of anything else I missed, but welcome get on LinkedIn.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, yeah, no, I love to psych you out.
Speaker 1: I think like I think to your point, I think a lot of people think LinkedIn is just about someone's gonna hire me. But no, I can't tell you how many people you know dippin' dot that just hit me up after they've heard me speak somewhere and they're like, hey, just want to stay connected and see what you're up to and and so it's just a really good place to just kind of stay connected. And from there, you know, oftentimes I've gotten offers to speak or to do something else just from just like staying connected and checking in on people that I'm connected to on LinkedIn. So don't just think of that, like to Mandy's point, you know that it's just a tool for someone to hire you. It's also to connect with other people in the space because typically people like to ask other people, do you know.
Speaker 2: Someone for this role? Or who might be good at this? Who might you know?
Speaker 1: That's why I get a lot of my really great people, because if someone is great, I hope they know other great people too. And the only one to be known and know what people are up to is to stay connected. So that's my little one too for you, Dippin'd But yes, teacher, you know, here's the thing. I'm gonna speak a little life until you Dippin' dot. The fact that you're a teacher. Just know that means you are.
Speaker 2: A freaking superhero.
Speaker 1: Okay, sis, let me tell you because people always ask me, what's the secret? Saw a source behind you know, the Budgetiesta's success and Literature Academy success and such, and I promise you it's from that classroom because you learn to be a leader, You learn to be a public speaker, you learn to be a negotiator. You learn, you know, to connect with your students but also their parents and the administration at the same damn time. You learn how to take people from a place of no knowledge to knowledge while also maintaining order. Child, there's nothing you don't learn. You're the nurse, You're the janitor, you know, yeah, the mama, Yeah, the daddy. So I mean, I just want to encourage you to know that I don't care because I taught preschool, so I don't care what age that you've taught. If you've taught that, there are so many skill sets that you that you're gonna be able to tap into that you might even realize how helpful that is. So you know, I just commend you and applaud you and just give you that boost of of just affirmation that you're a badass because you are a teacher.
Speaker 2: Okay, are you want to take a quick break?
Speaker 1: Man?
Speaker 2: Dress for our next question?
Speaker 3: Yes, we'll take a quick break. You break me right back with B, a Q and A. All right, be a fan we are back with another juicy, juicy career question. This one's gonna be fun because it talks about negotiating, which is my I start panting and getting excited.
Speaker 1: You know, I'm gonna read it because this is really like Mandy's like Wheelhouse. I'm like, that's like my full except like, let me read this, So Bay call me and coach put me in coach.
Speaker 2: All right?
Speaker 3: What Nell? They got to say?
Speaker 1: Right? So this is from Nelly from ig Hi Mandy. Hope you well girl, I'm here too, but that's okay.
Speaker 2: Community will stop.
Speaker 3: Everyone's always like hey T and that girl.
Speaker 1: I wouldn't have one because you know best that this is a Mandy question. But either way, hey girl, I'm just saying, ha.
Speaker 2: Question.
Speaker 1: I'm looking to give you very soon for a new opportunity at my current company, different department. It would be a promotion, and I have most of the required skills plus finish my masters in twenty twenty one. Go ahead, girl, How can I go about getting the absolute max amount of money? Since they that have access to my salary history, FYI, the range is up to one hundred and fifty six K and I'm at one twenty three currently they require a salary expectation entry. When I applied, I said one fifty just in case they negotiated me down. Let me know if you have any tips. Loving everything you're doing. Thanks Nelly, this is a good question.
Speaker 3: What do I want to start saying? Hot in hair? I don't know why.
Speaker 1: Oh no, let's do it. Get again hot in here. So make sure you get all your coins.
Speaker 3: Okay, we negotiate and that doesn't work.
Speaker 2: That's abound me. Okay, this is a book.
Speaker 3: Delete that anyway. Listen and Nelly, first of all, congratulations, because I feel like this is a really exciting opportunity and to work at a company where you can apply to another department, it's awesome. And I feel like when people think about quitting a role for a new opportunity, you sometimes think like you have to go outside the company. But I'm a huge fan of pivoting in place, Like that's what I call it. When you find a growth opportunity right where you are, and your mindset is really important here and this is a thing where you know what you make and you're kind of letting that kind of get to.
Speaker 2: You a little bit.
Speaker 3: I would treat this new department like another company. So anything that you would do if you were interviewing for an outside company, I would do, you know, I would go in there strong and establish, you know, your credentials and how excited you are for the opportunity. You've already mentioned a salary, at least it was a sort of the top of the range. You mentioned one fifty. I typically would have said, you know, put you know competitive, or put zero or put one dollar or whatever it is in the fields that you don't have to necessarily name a number. But I think that you should go in there definitely expecting to get paid what the value of the job is, especially if it is a promotion. You have most of the skills, like you said, and you now have a master's degree. So if you are thinking about the salary that you have now holding you back, this is a whole different job. You know, it's a step up, probably more responsibility. What may help you feel more confident going in and asking for your value is to find comparable roles at comparable companies. As are the two comps. You want to have similar company and a similar role, and see what types of salaries they're offering as well, and then again think of them as an outside employer who doesn't necessarily know your current salary, and negotiate from that space. It's not about what you're earning now, it's about the market value. Excuse me, It's about the market value of a candidate for this specific role that you're applying for. So don't go in there thinking one twenty three vibes. Think one fifty six. Okay, think hi. And you also know that you're not probably just making one twenty three. You also have to factor in your annual bonus on top of that, you know, so don't forget that you can still negotiate those types of things like your annual bonus amount. If they offer you equity at your company, you should still feel confident negotiating equity when you get to that point, like you've just applied now and you put in your salary expectation, which is cool. Now, the key is everything that's going to happen before the negotiation, which is you really want to make them excited to hire you. You already know the company, but what other strengths do you bring to the table, Like how well do you understand the challenges the pain points of the team that you're joining. Do you have any connections on that team already that you can build on those relationships. You want them to think of you as a no brainer, you know, so that by the time you get to the negotiation or the offer stage, they want you so bad that when you come back to them and like, hey, one forty is cute, but what about one fifty six, that they're like, Okay, we really want Nelly, you know, so let's make this happen. That's essential for you at this point. But before you get there, you got to get your mindset right around. This is a whole different employer, even though it's with the same company, whole different team. You're not in the same role that you have now, You're not making one twenty three in this new role, it's a whole different ballgame.
Speaker 2: So start to.
Speaker 3: Think that way and don't get in your own way.
Speaker 2: I like that.
Speaker 1: And I'm just like as someone who employees and oftentimes typically will promote promote from within, you know, I like most employees employers are going to want to look within if someone is good, because it's like, you don't have to learn the company culture. I don't have to like kind of talk talk to you about like and teach you about what we do here. So know that, like that's a benefit, you know, to be able, you know, to looking to work internal. But also sometimes the problem is is like the prodigal son, right, the person who leaves and comes back gets like better treatment than the person who stayed. So don't be afraid either to like be like m it seeming like they you know, they treat me like old news.
Speaker 2: Maybe I need to be made.
Speaker 1: Kniil again, you know, so if you're needing, if you wanted to make more, consider that too. But I just say this that I have people on my team that are just so excellent, Like are you bringing obvious excellence to the table, not just you're you're doing well, but you're visibly doing well. You know, there are people who like even now, there's a woman on one of my teams that I want to bring on over to the Bunjanista. She's on the Literature Academy team. Shout out to you, I K Sugarl, we come and get you. She's amazing, Like you know, it just started with you know, us contracting her to do a few things here and there, and I was just blown away about what she delivered. Logan was like what we gotta do to get her? You know, and she do project management, but she's just excellent. She's one of those people that, like, you know it, just is going to see the thing all the way through. A Keisha works really hard but also smart and strategically. She's like a great team player, easy to get along with. She project managed project So her first project management thing that I had her do was she helped me with the Get Go with Money launch. That was a huge project to try and trust to someone and it was like fifteen of us working on Get Good Money and it was getting to be overwhelming for me to manage everyone. So I said, I heard through the grape vine because we used to have our weekly chats when I was the CEO of the Academy. I heard through the grape vine that a Kesha was interested in project management and just wanted to test it out. And I said, well, I have a huge test for you. Try Get Good Money on the Budjanista side. And she was like, are you sure? I said, one all eleven people on the Get gos Money team are hard workers, so the project management component is not You don't have to manage and motivate them. These are great people. I cherry picked everyone on the team, so that was one. You just have to keep us all organized. And she was excellent, and I was like, hold on, I want to Keisha from myself, I mean, and Tam had to tussle, like oh a good tussle. I won, and so yeah, so I'll be making her I mean, I don't even if I Kisa listen, but yeah, girl, I'll be making your offer.
Speaker 2: So because we talked about it already.
Speaker 1: But I'm just saying all that to say, when you are excellent, a space is always made for you at the table. So I'm sure you're bringing excellence to the table in an obvious way because it'll make people say we cannot lose you, know, Nelly, So good luck to you girl.
Speaker 3: That's such a perfect point to make. Yeah. I talked to a coaching client this morning, all the way in Australia, shout out to to Nicole. It was ten thirty her time, ten thirty am my time, and she's going through a similar thing. She's applying for a senior role at her company, and I had to remind her how incredibly beneficial it is that people already know her like she has brand recognition exactly where she is, and she I feel like sometimes we take ourselves for granted at work and we forget like the we don't or no one tells us. But there's so much value in having a great reputation colleagues wanting to work with you. That, plus you can teach skills, you can teach how to do this, how to do that to a certain extent. Right, So if you're meeting most of the qualifications not all of them, and people know and love you and will vouch for you, and you know endorse you, that is so key, and that gives you such a huge advantage over external candidates. So yeah, it's just about building your own confidence, Nelly, in that you have a lot going for you already understanding the inner workings of this company. And even though I want to know like twelve thousand more things about the situation, I just want you to go in again feeling strong. And to Tiffany's point about sometimes if you are missing out on opportunities and you're not being valued where you are because that unfortunately it's often the case, use this as a litmus test to see, Okay, do I have growth potential at this company? And if this promotion does not work out or you don't get the support that you feel like you need well at East, you explore that option, and you should feel nose bounce of guilt for looking outside of the company, you know, for new opportunities. Sometimes they got to really fear losing you to really respect and value you, which is unfortunate. But it's up to you to you know, assert your value in that way. So I hope this works out for you, But I'm just saying even if it don't, there's other pads ahead of you as well, and they don't have to be you know, feeling stuck or stagnant where you currently are.
Speaker 1: Ye, but keep us updated, Nellie. We'd love to learn to hear like what happened? If you have a question BA fan ask away. We're at the BA podcast on Twitter. We are Brand and Vision Podcasts on ig Brandambis podcast dot com, where we have like a ask us anything button and uh what is it do? Gmail again Brown and Podcast at gmail dot com. Yes, ma'am, And so you're gonna want to email us sou yeah and ask us your questions about business. Maybe you are an entrepreneur, coreer, money and more. Emas see that's a little Spanish there eat total So yeah, So next week, BA Fan.
Speaker 3: We love y'all, Bye bye, hey, ba Fam. We could not do this show without your support or the support of our team behind the scenes. The Brown Ambition Podcast is produced by Imani Crosby and Dennis Sanplinsky is our in house tech guru, I and your co host Mandy Woodrif Santos and we will see y'all next week, BA Fam.