Speaker 1: This is making me anxious.
Speaker 2: Belly take a pinch of belly fat. Jam this fucker in.
Speaker 1: Oh there it goes.
Speaker 2: All right, needles in.
Speaker 1: Do you feel pressure?
Speaker 3: Nah?
Speaker 2: Just the initial poke. This part sucks. So I'm injecting really slowly. Uh huh depressing the plunger.
Speaker 1: Why do you think go slow?
Speaker 4: Just it hurts lass? Okay.
Speaker 1: Chris and I are in my apartment in Brooklyn, and for the podcast You Know Research, I asked Chris to show me how he administers his weekly shot of n D plus, a compound that he says gives him a major boost of energy throughout the week and helps him keep up with the demands of raising a four year old.
Speaker 4: Do you want to try it right now? All right?
Speaker 3: Yeah it?
Speaker 1: Do you have a Do you have a?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 2: I have another alcohol?
Speaker 1: Okay, not our finest moment together, but for the record, we didn't share needles. Chris had a separate, unused pen with him and inside was another dose of n A D plus.
Speaker 2: So I'll set it up for you.
Speaker 3: Off, put the needle in in your belly, I press it. Do you want to do it?
Speaker 4: So? What you're gonna do?
Speaker 3: Put the needle in?
Speaker 4: How hard is the push.
Speaker 2: So the button is just a click button.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So take take a pinch of the belly fat like like like really like pinch it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and then you press the button.
Speaker 3: Keeep it in there. One, two, three, four, five, perfect, seven, eight, nine, ten, Take it out.
Speaker 4: You did it. That does feel weird. It's weird, right.
Speaker 2: What did you what did you feel this warm?
Speaker 1: Mm hmm okay, confession time. I didn't really notice anything change after I took the ana D injection.
Speaker 4: YEA.
Speaker 1: No boost of energy, no pep in my step, no lightning recovery from my muy Thai sessions or my five K runs. Nothing felt different. But these drugs, they're everywhere. I see people all over the internet openly and eagerly documenting the mix of performance enhancing drugs that they're experimenting with. Each of these cocktails made of steroids or peptides or both. They call them stacks, like the Wolverine stack, which is named for the comic book character, or the God stack, named for you know, God. But those recipes, the combination of drugs, basically, they're endless.
Speaker 5: Anovar are in testosterone update day ten one.
Speaker 4: My libido is through the roof.
Speaker 1: Two, My appetite is like sky high.
Speaker 6: I cannot stop.
Speaker 1: Eating a lot of your casual gim bros are going to say, hey, start off your cycle with your dianabal as. You're on testostrode and you're going to get big really quickly. The steroid that everyone swears is the nectar of the gods. Spoiler tremblone aka trend. We're really doing it boys. It's not just a masculinity thing either. These drugs, they're for women too.
Speaker 7: I started with BPC one seven and I immediately fell in love. Why because my hair grew an insane amount, my skin was glowing. It helps your gut health, and when your gut health is happy, everything else is happy. Okay, it's great for inflammation covery.
Speaker 1: These days, i'd say one in every three ads on my social media feeds or for steroids or peptides or some other exciting new drug. And the way they're marketed to me, it's like a boardroom full of suits read my diary and said let's invoke those specific insecurities like too tired, unable to focus. There's a drug for that, and it cost one hundred and fifty dollars. Hair thinning, hairline receding, there's a drug for that that cost one hundred and fifty dollars. Too hungry yo yoing weight one hundred and fifty dollars. The government is holding a mirror up to this shift too. The Trump administration recently moved to reclassify a long list of peptides so that they can be manufactured in the US. And then there's the Enhanced Games. At the first Enhanced Games, athletes will break world records. When that happens, everyone's going to say what is he on? And how do I get it? And to enhance credit. Well, if nothing else right place right time, turning new fads into real revenue. What I want to know is what happened? Why are people men especially so eager to get in on this cultural shift. How is it that enhanced knew this was the right moment to appeal to the masses From Kaleidoscope and iHeart podcasts, this is superhuman. I'm Sam Egan. I'm going to reddit for him our slash testosterone. When I noticed a guy named Aaron. He's in his late thirties and from the transformation photos he's posting, I can see he's white with thirty blonde hair. Also, from the photos, which spans six months, I can tell he's lost a ton of weight, forty three pounds, he says. In his after pictures, Aaron's cheeks are sharper, his abs are beginning to pop, and his shoulders look more to fined sculpted. In the photos caption, Eron lists the contents of his stack TRT two hundred milligrams right a true tide between one milligram and twelve milligrams hCG parenthetical for fertility, clomofin parenthetical for fertility, one hundred and fifty to two hundred grams protein parenthetical meat and clear protein drink, creatine powder, and el glutamine powder.
Speaker 5: So there was an ad that came out and it showed a guy like snowboarding through the back country and there's this like electronic music playing in the background, and the overall tone of this was like futuristic cutting edge.
Speaker 1: I reach out to Aaron to find out more about him, what he's working towards, and why.
Speaker 5: It positioned it as something new and something that will obviously be ubiquitous in a few years, like the next step in evolution.
Speaker 1: The first time we talk, Aaron's gone on a polo shirt and an old school headset, like he's a telemarketer. Behind him is an empty white wall no windows. He reminds me of one of the background brokers in the Wolf of Wall Street. Aaron says he lives in Florida, works in sales. You might be wondering how Aaron gets most of these drugs.
Speaker 5: Getting it through a US distributor is something you only do until you know enough to access labs directly in China.
Speaker 1: A network of manufacturing labs outside the US, often in China, the gray market, selling directly to consumers, skipping the middleman entirely. Here's the thing about these gray market drugs. Though they aren't certified by the FDA, which is one the only way to know for sure that what you're taking is provably effective for its marketed purpose, two dose safely, and three that only what's supposed to be in it is on the gray market without an FDA, consumers need to work around, and they find them.
Speaker 5: They get together in groups and do testing where they'll order from a specific vendor and everyone will send a sample to make sure that a vendor that this group is accepting has.
Speaker 4: A legit product. Because these labs.
Speaker 5: They rely on their reputation in this group to sell their product.
Speaker 1: What strikes me about this system, the people buying the drugs are doubling as the people ensuring the drugs efficacy and its safety. They're literally paying to be the Labyretts. This market is such a new phenomena that it hasn't gotten a ton of peer reviewed research yet. But one recent test found that a vial of BPC one five seven, a popular heptide, sold by an unregulated supplier, contained measurable amounts of lead. Groups like Aaron's describing that they're the one who's deciding to risk it and test drugs on themselves, like they have to get lead poisoning to find out that the product they're buying contains lead. So not great. What motivates a person to do this, to take such risky gambles with their body.
Speaker 5: My dad was your prototypical sports coach. He was very serious about my training, and.
Speaker 1: Aaron says, in a past life he was an athlete, raised playing hockey, and however that shaped his body, his physique. That was a point of pride for his father. Maybe two or three times a week when guests were over at the house, He remembers hearing his dad call for him.
Speaker 5: I always knew the reason he was calling me. It's because he wanted me to take my shirt off and flex for his guests and show me off to his business partners or family friends or whoever. In retrospective, kind of weird, having like a you know, twelve year old kid take a shirt off and flex for everybody all the.
Speaker 1: Time kind of weird is one way to put it the way Aaron talks about it, though, I think it created a complex. No matter how fit he was when he looked in the mirror.
Speaker 5: I always saw something problematic no matter what weight I was at. You know, if I was walking around at one seventy or one seventy five, I might have felt like my upper body popped out too much.
Speaker 1: By the time Aaron was in his teens, he'd moved on from hockey. Now he was boxing. He competed all through high school, but then dropped it when he went off to college, and for a time he stayed reasonably fit, but then thirty hit.
Speaker 5: I had been like steadily gaining weight and getting more and more out of shape.
Speaker 1: And it wasn't just his aesthetics. Aaron was worried about. It was his health. He says. At around that time he developed scoliosis in his back, and maybe that's because of the weight gain, maybe from an old spo orts injury. Either way, he was in extreme pain, constantly sleeping maybe three hours a night. After that, he stopped wanting to get out of bed. Yeah, because it hurt. But there was another reason too.
Speaker 5: A big part of it was also just the motivation to tackle anything that needs tackling in life, you know, career aspirations and goals. Everything was just not worth the trouble. I spent a lot of that time just laying on the couch watching TV, all the seasons of Narcos, And there was a long period where I had no relationship, really had no one in my life for probably six or seven years.
Speaker 1: At some point in this stretch, Aaron tells me that he tried to stosterone for the first time. He'd seen a family member on it go from quote dadbod to ripped, and that family member taking the cystosterone. He told Aaron it had helped with his mood and with his motivation in the weight room. What if this was the answer that he'd been looking for the reason he'd been feeling so awful, so he found a doctor.
Speaker 5: He was kind of a sketchy doctor. To be honest with you, I knew I could easily get it from this type of doctor, and I was expecting it to be like that movie Limitless.
Speaker 1: That movie Limitless, it comes up a lot on this show, like so many people we spoke to brought it up. I've never seen it, but according to the Internet, it's about a man played by Bradley Cooper, who is quote facing unemployment and his girlfriend's rejection. He has no future, but that all changes when a friend gives him a drug that produces enhanced mental acuity instantly. If nothing else, it's on the nose. But anyways, back to Aaron and his first time on testosterone.
Speaker 5: Everyone tries to make it seem like it's just like a night and day difference, and the fact is it's very, very subtle.
Speaker 1: A year later, he'd lost about seventy pounds, which doesn't sound so subtle. At around that same time, on vacation in Colombia, Aaron met somebody. They hit it off, got married. His wife moved to the US to be with him. They wanted to start a family and because there's some evidence that testosterone can impact male fertility. Aaron went off of it soon after the weight came back. He was up to three hundred pounds. Aaron says when that weight did come back, so did his depression and his backbane. But the most relentless feeling what he spent the most time ruminating on? What did other people think when they saw him and overweight erin with his hot, thin wife, her being, you know, from Columbia, having come here on a fiancee visa. People usually assume like very specific things about a marriage like that. What he means is people assume she married him for the visa for American citizenship, because why else would she be with someone who looks like him.
Speaker 5: So it was upsetting to me to think that like this, you know, this couple with the husband being a super overweight guy. I always wondered if people would wonder if we had that type of a.
Speaker 1: Marriage, which just to say worrying that other people think that sounds hard enough. But Aaron also says the way he looked it made him question his wife's taste too.
Speaker 5: You know, why would someone want to be with someone that's so overweight and appears like that.
Speaker 1: My co producer on this show, Lena, She's also on this call.
Speaker 6: I'm not a guy, and certainly I don't care about peptid er steroids. But I'm very comfortable admitting that as a woman, I've spent big spass of my life imagining what I look like to the people looking at me. What can they see in the sun that I can't see in a mirror? Is my sci fi showing? Was I bailed on for a second date because of my personality or because of how big my ass is? And which of those answers is supposed to be the better one? So I ask Aaron if the roles were reversed, if his wife gained a bunch of weight, would that have any impact on how much he wants to be with her.
Speaker 5: I've always cared a lot about how we appear physically as a couple. It might be shallow in some ways, but it is something that's important to me to have a certain image as a couple. So that you know the truth is, maybe it would be uncomfortable if the shoe was on the other foot, And yeah, I probably would struggle.
Speaker 4: With that a little bit. To be completely.
Speaker 6: Honest, not the answer I expected. I think we spend our whole lives gathering all of these insecurities, these suspicions about what other people think of us, and what we hear back so often is that it's all in our heads. No one thinks about us as much as we think about ourselves. Hearing Aaron say otherwise it sucks. At the same time, I find it so relieving to hear someone just say the damn saying okay, back to the boys.
Speaker 1: Aaron and I have been conditioned to filter our bodies through the lens of sports. In my case, because of wrestling, I was a heavyweight, one of the big guys on a team made up of absurdly lean men constantly crash dieting like four percent body fat. Even at my smallest, I was the fat guy in the group. It's changed how I dress, how I move, what I think about myself. People call me Big Sam, they always have. I hate it, and so much of that is rooted in my athletic ambitions. Even after I was done with wrestling, I spent the rest of my twenties obsessing over staying as close to my fighting weight as possible. I'd weigh myself three times a day, restrict my eating for days or weeks at a time. Sometimes I even cut out water. If I hadn't grown up in such machismost circles, it would have been called an eating disorder. Honestly, it was an eating disorder. And what was it all for? Four?
Speaker 4: Really?
Speaker 5: A big part of all this was like how my father saw me as my coach and as my idol in a lot of ways.
Speaker 1: Aaron tells me about a recent trip he took to see his dad after losing all that weight now that he's small again.
Speaker 5: And my dad at one point when we were alone, he kind of like half pulled me into his lap like I was still a you know, a thirteen year old kid, twelve year old kid, and was telling me how proud he was of me. And I hadn't given him any reason in you know, twenty plus years to be proud of me.
Speaker 1: When I was a kid, my dad never missed a wrestling match, never, and sometimes before it was my turn to compete, he'd sit with me and massage my traps and my biceps and my back, and he'd tell me how powerful I was, how proud of me he was. He'd call me his moose his genetic freak. It made me feel so good. And now that my life isn't centered on being an athlete, I don't have that anymore, but I want it and I miss it. When I step back and really think about this stuff, the obsession with what's in the mirror, the stacks of drugs, I guess it's not so confusing at all. We're all just licking old wounds, and now, because of companies like Enhanced, we have the option to do so with drugs.
Speaker 8: I'm a nineteen year old who can afford his own gear in his own fucking groceries, bread so online.
Speaker 1: AJ's open about his steroid us. In videos, you can see him flexing for the camera, his age and height posted on the screen, plus his current stack of steroids. Usually there's rap or heavy metal music on in the background. Man just hop on. His eyes are bulging and red. In most of his clips, it's nighttime, only enough light to show his frame. Everything behind him is pitch black. We got on the phone back in February.
Speaker 4: I've been on testosterals for like twenty weeks.
Speaker 1: Oh so it's still that's doing math that's like five months.
Speaker 4: Yeah, okay, how are you?
Speaker 1: How are you feeling.
Speaker 8: I feel like I feel like an animal. You know, I just feel, you know, you know, like very powerful. I feel like there's no goal that I can't achieve. You know, I feel like I can do anything in the world. It really puts you like in a motivated state.
Speaker 4: Twenty four seven.
Speaker 1: Aj says he grew up playing football and he originally got into weightlifting at fifteen because of how much he admired superheroes.
Speaker 8: You know, I always would to love like him. You know, that feeling of like, you know, like dominate some power. You know, that's z he has.
Speaker 1: He says he started using testosterone at eighteen because people online told him to.
Speaker 8: I had a bunch of other guys like telling me like how fucking like how much how it exploded.
Speaker 4: And you know, like shit shit like that.
Speaker 8: But I already knew for myself personally, I knew I had the genetics to like, actually look good.
Speaker 1: I knew I had the genetics to actually look good if I hop on. For the record, even in the bodybuilding community, eighteen is considered very young for performance enhancing drugs. The standard recommendation is basically, get as big and strong as you possibly can first, then use drugs to go that extra mile?
Speaker 4: What made you decide to do it so so early?
Speaker 8: Because I feel like there's no sense of waiting because like like a lot of chances don't come like often, like like you know, like finding another gear source or you know.
Speaker 4: Things in that nature.
Speaker 1: When you say finding another gear source, what do you mean, you.
Speaker 8: Know, like finding finding you know, like a legit, a legit you know, someone that can actually get you like legit gear.
Speaker 4: You know, how do you get it? Get it from face to face with were plugged?
Speaker 1: So basically he started doing steroids because he had access to steroids. AJ dreams of being a bodybuilder, also an influencer. His biggest heroes include bodybuilders Tom Platts and Lee Priest, and someone named Dallas McCarver, a YouTube bodybuilder born in nineteen ninety one. McCarver actually died of a heart attack in twenty seventeen at twenty six.
Speaker 4: Damn, but he's he's a legend.
Speaker 1: Though mccarver's autopsy report lists a massively enlarged heart, kidney damage, and an engorged liver as contributors to his death, all symptoms associated with long term steroid abuse. When we speak AJ's nineteen years old and living at home with his parents. I ask him, do they know about the drugs he's taking?
Speaker 4: Like my mom, he kind of accepted it, but you know, my dad hates it.
Speaker 1: Why does he hate it?
Speaker 2: Can?
Speaker 4: I ask? Uh? Because of the health aspects.
Speaker 8: He believes that it's just so damaging to the health and things of that nature.
Speaker 1: And do you have any thoughts about that, like, you know, because it's like there's a you know, there's.
Speaker 8: Maybe like a thirty percent chance of like actually running in the problems. But I'd rather be like, like, I really don't care. I'd rather just be big as fuck. I rather die big as fuck, Like I'll do anything just to be like fucking huge. So it doesn't really either way.
Speaker 1: Why do you want to be huge so bad?
Speaker 4: Man?
Speaker 8: I just I love like being the biggest. I love, you know, like the compliments, the admiration.
Speaker 4: I love it.
Speaker 1: So you're like, if I die at forty, but I got abs on abs and my biceps for twenty four inches or whatever, like that's that's cool by me. Exactly after our one call together, AJ stopped responding to me, but I followed along on his TikTok in the past few months, by the looks of things, AJ has only gotten bigger, and it seems that he's added a number of other drugs to a stack, something that he told me he was thinking about doing when we first talked.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I'm gonna I'm gonna see how the next week feels, and then I might up the dose, maybe like five, maybe add some.
Speaker 1: Decade deca dur a ballin, commonly known as decca. It's an anabolic steroid often used on top of TRT. The bro science says that it helps a joint pain and recovery on top of muscle growth. But a few months later, while scrolling through AJ's feed, I saw him post about suffering complications from taking these drugs.
Speaker 4: Bro.
Speaker 8: I fucking hate Deck with all my fucking Brett, But I feel fucking sad all the time, all.
Speaker 4: The goddamn time.
Speaker 1: But it's just roid rage in sadness grow Who let me?
Speaker 4: Who let me hop on Deck?
Speaker 1: It isn't just AJ.
Speaker 8: A lot of people wind up getting anxiety if they do too much NPP or too much decca.
Speaker 1: That's kind of just a quick search through TikTok and you can find plenty of people talking about the side effects that they've experienced on deck. I did for like three weeks, and so that kicked in. I'ah fucking stressed out of my life. Yeah, I was having panic attacks for the first time ever, freaking out. AJ and Aaron are both experts in the underground, the gray market, but as these drugs become more accepted and easier to access, their appeal to a wider set of people has grown too. The tech and VC money is pouring in and fundamentally changing the culture and speed to market of these drugs and our relationship to our bodies. It's hard to say for sure how many people are on performance enhancing drugs, just because so much of it happens underground, but without question, the number is going.
Speaker 9: Up bigger, stronger, you know, make more money. Everyone's got to have ferraris and lambeaus. You gotta be hot, fucking hot, dude. We are so superficial. I mean, don't. I'm in it too, man, I mean, we're humans. We have that low brain. It's dopamine.
Speaker 4: Sam.
Speaker 1: That's doctor Thomas O'Connor. He's a licensed internal medicine physician who goes by the anabolic doc.
Speaker 9: When I deal with a young man who's twenty something is on and off steroids and his numbers are low normal and he's done and he's done everything, Doc, and I'm gonna give him testostero. And I say, sir, I need to hear from you. You understand that if I gave you this testosterone, we crossed a certain point, at a certain point, you're never ever ever gonna come off ever ever. I've been on forever. And then so many guys, Sam, they go really, and I go yep.
Speaker 1: Doctor O'Connor specializes in treating people who have abused steroids and TRT. He specifically does this work because he can relate. He's a powerlifter and for a number of years a steroid user. Two he still uses testosterone, something he says he has to stay on forever as a result of too many years abusing steroids and destroying his endocrine system. His biceps are still giant and bulging, and his face is red. He's in his sixties, but he looks like he could knock out thirty pull ups on a dime. According to doctor O'Connor, the world of underground steroids used to be very different. He says he was first introduced to it at a gym in his early twenties. One day he's there working out and a guy offers a spot him.
Speaker 9: He goes, hey, you want to He goes, watch you come over here a minute. I've never forgot it took me in the back room, in the locker room. It was like, you want to come to the next level.
Speaker 1: He says. Back then in the eighties, steroids weren't well known. Even as recently as the nineties, people still didn't know what they did or how they worked. Something O'Connor sounds almost wistful for now.
Speaker 9: Back then, dude, back then there was a real protective brotherhood and now it's completely gone because it's just about the money.
Speaker 1: But he says that back then the only way to get steroids was through word of mouth, and to get them word of mouth, you had to be in a gym, and gyms weren't on every street corner back then like they are now. These were usually dark, dingy, dungeon looking gyms that cater to powerlifters and bodybuilders.
Speaker 9: We didn't have phones, you know, so it was just focus, outward focus, social focus, and then go to the gym.
Speaker 1: Doctor O'Connor says that people lifted for years in this environment before they would hop on cycles. The goal was to max out their natural physiques before they even considered using steroids.
Speaker 9: It was very protective and we had segments of detection in mitigation. On that sam there was mitigation, there was barriers to it. All the barriers are lifted, dude, and now we have the Enhance Games.
Speaker 1: It's not just the Enhance Games. Telehealth companies are making these drugs more accessible than ever before. And doctor O'Connor, he's concerned about the side effects, but what really worries him is the whole philosophy propelling the Enhanced Games. When I asked him to explain, he says that the idea that these kinds of substances can be administered with minimal side effects is bullshit. That there are basically no guarantees that any of the athletes are using these drugs safely and responsibly. Remember that Enhanced CEO Max Martin told us they wouldn't be testing athletes for drugs, only to make sure their organs are healthy at the time of competition, and doctor O'Connor worries this could create an environment that is a powder keg for gradual abuse.
Speaker 9: You know, I'll take a little twenty five milligrams of anavarn training days or whatever, one hundred milligrams every five days of sipenade or something, and then they're like, you know what, it's gonna go up a little bit more. You're you're gonna do steroids. You're gonna do one cycle. You're gonna like it. I don't care if you're a top guy or a regular accountant guy. You're gonna want to do more and more and more. You're never gonna do one cycle. Never doesn't work that way. What happens is men take steroids and they go I take, they take a little bit like they always say, they're gonna do this minimal dose. That's bullshit right there. That's one hundred percent bullshit. This is an arms race.
Speaker 1: On top of that, he says, he worries about the message that this will send to young people.
Speaker 9: If you're twenty three or twenty five and you really know what you're doing, rock on. Be careful, brother sister. But if you're what's gonna happen is the audience is children thirteen twelve, thirteen fifteen, sixteen high school students or high school kids are going to see this, and despite the fact that they're using lower doses and you could have a pr team spin that really great. But in the end of the day, the moms and the dads are going to have the child tugging on their arm, saying, Mommy, I'm going to do this. I'm going to be a winner like him.
Speaker 1: I keep coming back to that day in my apartment with Chris where he showed me how to inject nad plus, seeing him use that syringe, hearing how great it makes him feel. I couldn't help wanting to try it too. I'm not the child doctor O'Connor's talking about tugging on mommy's arm. I'm thirty years old. But human curiosity, it's powerful a drug in its own right. In the last year, as I've watched the audience for these drugs grow, I think about it a lot. Curiosities hold on people. Everyone selling this stuff, peptides, nad TRT. They're all banking on enhanced included, and they know who they're appealing to. Maybe not children literally, but our inner child absolutely being young again, beautiful, big and strong and capable. Who's going to say no to that? Still enhanced needs to prove that these drugs work, that they can deliver on what they've promised, and to do that, they're putting on a show larger than life, promising unprecedented achievements and shattered world records at the first ever Enhanced Games. If a record is not broken, can you call it to out a success?
Speaker 4: Look at all you guys.
Speaker 1: More people have never paid attention to track swimming, weightlifting and strong man in the history of the world. Next Time on Superhuman. Superhuman is a Kaleidoscope production in partnership with iHeart Podcasts. The series is produced, reported and co host by me Sam Egan. Lina Messi's Metal is our senior producer. Production support from Dara Luk Potts, editing by Kate Osborne, editorial consulting from Adeza Egan, original composition and mixing by Hannis Brown, Reported and hosted by Chris Guayamali. From Kaleidoscope, Our executive producers are Kate Osborne, oswa Oshan Mengesha Tikador and Kosis Linos. Julia Nutter is the head of Studio for Kaleidoscope and from iHeart. Our executive producers are Katrina Norvil and Nikki etor if you like what you're hearing, subscribe to the feed now so you don't miss our next drop.