Speaker 1: You're listening to the Buck Sexton Show podcast, make sure you subscribe to the podcast on the iHeartRadio app or wherever you get your podcasts. Hey guys, welcome to the Buck Brief. Wilfred Riley back in the mix. He is a professor an author of lies. My liberal teacher told me, Who's an excellent book. Highly recommend you get it. Professor. Great to have you back in the mix.
Speaker 2: Thanks for having me on. Good to be back on the show.
Speaker 1: How are you feeling about the situation in this twenty twenty four election right now? Kamala Harris. They're changing everything about her. They're telling us all kinds of things that are either untrue or they're saying things that we're true or not true. What's going on? Is this going to work?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I mean I'm kind of worried. As a guy that generally votes Republican. I mean, I think it might work. Yeah. I think what you had in this election where a lot of the double haters I've heard people call him from other consultants in my side field over to commentators like Ben Shapiro. Those are people that just hated you know, Orange Julius Caesar, Donald Trump, and that also hated Joe Biden, who's been you know, dead for three years. They wanted nothing, no part of either candidate. And now Biden is gone. And Democrats who have been on the race and gender bandwagon for a decade, now I have a chance to vote for a black woman who's fifty nine, which is a spring chicken in US politics right now. And so you've seen that vote that was at fourteen percent for Independence right for a while, RFK, Cornell West, all these people, Jorgenson that we've got in the race. Technically that's down to about five percent, and I think that's cut almost all away from Trump. So I'm a little word.
Speaker 1: I feel like in the end it'll all be okay. But maybe I'm just that's a coping mechanism at this point because the Trump campaign does seem to be a little bit of a of a tough patch, rough spot. I would say. I know they're bringing back Corey Lewandowski. That was some of the news today from twenty sixteen. He wasn't even on the campaign for that long in twenty sixteen. So it feels a bit like they are unhappy at where the numbers have gone. But with Kamala Harris. It's fascinating to me, Professor. It seems like everyone knows that she's trying to do the bare minimum of campaigning and that that's the best thing for her, and somehow that doesn't seem to be a big problem. Right, Like hiding from the public at some level is tactically smart and everyone knows it, and no one seems to find that to be disingenuous or dishonest.
Speaker 2: Well, I think we've gotten used to this from these politicians during COVID nineteen and then during mad guess this is during COVID nineteen. I mean the Biden campaign, you know, the subsequent this campaign where Biden didn't want to engage Trump until that one disastrous debate. So, I mean, it's almost Kamala Harris has taken some heat for giving the same speech every time she talks, and I don't like Kamala Harris, but I want to remind you guys that that's called a stump speech. We used to see a lot of this, where a politician would go give five or six speeches a week and it'd all be eighty percent identicals. You go to Cleveland, Cincinnati, Toledo, Dayton, That's what they're supposed to do. So we've gotten used to politicians not really engaging the media, not really engaging the public. Harris, as I just implied, is actually doing that more than a lot of people, so as Trump was doing israellies. And the awkward reality there is that we're almost in September, the elections in November. So can Harris get away without more than say, two tough press conferences, without more than one debate? Yeah? Probably, Like I don't think Harris would have had much of a chance against Trump if this had been a full on year and a half traditional campaign, but it's not.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's remarkable that the truncated timeline does seem to be uh, clearly an advantage for Harris, right. I mean, I don't know anyone who's disagreeing with that right now, and they're really hoping they can pull this off just as as quickly as possible and with the bare minimum of vetting. But what do we do with Actually, before I get to that question, I want to ask you this, what do you find to be the most objectionable thing about Kamala Harris as somebody who is trying to become president the United States? Like, what is the worst thing about Harris as far as you can see.
Speaker 2: It's not really I mean the things people bring up about past dating and all that, it's not really any of that at all. It's the most the most objectionable thing about Kamala Harris I think is that she's not the people's choice in any real way. And I mean you could say, well, she might be if she wins this election. I mean she might if she goes forward and she gets fifty one percent over someone as popular as Trump. Okay, you know she proved it. But Kamala Harris has never gotten a vote in a presidential election. I mean, this is someone we hear this. We hear this about Advance. We even heard it about Obama. I pay well, then the Senate for a year. Harris is the classic example of this. I mean, she was a short term senator from California. As I understand, she ran against Joe Biden for the presidency and she was out by the first primary. And she was pretty ruthless in that campaign. I mean, she called Joe Biden a racist. She said some things that were right on the verge of lying, like when you know, I was a young girl that had to be bussed to school and a racist America. I mean, Kamala Harris grew up in Berkeley, I mean in a wealthy Indian American household. As I recall, the bust she took was to Magnet School. So I mean she really went hard at mister Biden. You know, despite that he said he wanted a diverse woman. He kind of picked her up off the scrap peat she became vice president. She was pulling at one point seventy nine percent when he kind of rescued her. She became the vice president. She was one of the least popular vps we've had, and now all of a sudden, because Biden is bringing her to the four against Trump. I mean, she's polling very well. So we're in this weird situation where we could see Kamala Harris win or narrowly lose a presidential race despite never having gotten a presidential vote.
Speaker 1: It does look a little bizarre, yes, And I think also in the context of a party that had the super delegates essentially rigged the system against Hillary in twenty sixteen, and then had the party powers that be decide that Joe Biden in twenty twenty would become the nominee after he was way behind everybody else all of a sudden, South Carolina. It does feel like there's a system at work here that gets to make the important decisions for them. But we'll come back into that. Priessor Ryley here in just a second. You know, sponsor, this half hour is a tunnel to Towers Foundation. Jerry Paget enlisted in the US Navy and deployed multiple times to a rock in Afghanistan. While on patrol in Afghanistan, Jerry was injured and improvised explosive device blast. He starffered a spinal cord injury, traumatic brain injury, and audio and visual impairments. Nothing can reverse the damage onto Jerry's body that day, but through the tunaent of Towers Foundation, we can honor heroes like Jerry in gratitude for their tremendous sacrifices. We understand the price of freedom and we can choose to honor those who fight for it despite its tremendous cost. Thanks to friends like you, Jerry and his family moved into a new smart home at the Foundations Let Us Do Good Village in Florida. Nothing can repay the price of freedom, but your donation can change the lives of those who selflessly sacrifice for our communities and country. Donate eleven dollars a month the tune of Towers at T two t dot org. That's t the number two T dot org. Now on the border, clearly there's sensitivities about the Biden administration letting in eight to ten million illegals. No one, there's no real number, and we're still finding out even what the official number is going to be for a fiscal year twenty four. But it's a huge number. Everyone knows that. And they're trying to run stories about Kamala Harris as though she's a border hawk. Now even some ads you've probably seen these. Is the audience for this, essentially people who are looking for an excuse to vote for Harris? Or is the audience people that just don't know anything and so you know they'll see this and actually believe it.
Speaker 2: Well, I think the audience is Democrats and independents, So I mean it's people who think that Harris is maybe five percent too soft on the border and who are ready to be convinced or something like that, Like who could hear that Trump blocked a bipartisan immigration bill that Harris supported. I mean, for conservatives who are fairly well educated on immigration, the impression would be something like, well, Harris is two hundred percent too soft on the border. I mean, there tends to be some knowledge from your audience in mind that Harris was, in fact the quote unquote borders are That's a pretty good title for it. So people aren't really gonna fall for the nonsense. But I mean you're pitching people who don't really know a lot about immigration, and you're pitching people who are from her party who think she was just a little bit on the soft side. Yeah, that's what your target base is going to be there. And I mean there's a lot of stuff like this. I mean generally when you do something like I mean the bearded white guys for Kamala Harris call, where you had all these guys, I mean, some of them were a feat nerds, but some of them were in a pretty good lumberjack cosplay. But where all of them were saying, you know, as a white man who played Gannadelf on television, I'll be given to Kamala Harris, You're not really pitching to base camps in North Dakota. And so with that sort of thing. What you're doing is appealing to a general, mostly female audience of independence by saying, well, look, I mean there's a diverse pool of people coming out for this candidate. I mean, I would assume that one of the big effects of that is that you increase donations from white women. So there's actually a sophisticated kind of chess play that goes on with that kind of thing.
Speaker 1: He's I'm the wrong candidate now that Kamala Harris is the Democrat candidate.
Speaker 2: That's actually a great question. I mean, is Trump the wrong candidate? I mean, I've I've always liked the big guy myself, but I mean, so Trump's advantages over Biden were very clear and evident. I mean, so Trump is an older guy, but he's this big, vigorous man. He's mid seventies. Biden, as I believe, over eighties eighty one. So Trump can come out and make Biden look pretty foolish. But I mean mid to late seventies, that's pretty old. So when Harris, who's fifty nine, comes out and speaks, and you have Trump on the other side of the podium, it's possible for her to do to him what Trump did to Biden. Yeah, and a lot of Harris also, as a black woman, has advantages on the Democratic side that Biden really didn't. The Democrats have played a race and sex based game for a really long time. So Kamala Harris is kind of a dream candidate for a lot of their basis. I mean, black women are the most reliable Democratic voting block, and Kamala Harris can do the entire dim pitch to them, like every four years, you have to come out and save America, my sisters. I went to Howard I pled aka Alpha Kappa Alpha. You know, I'm not going to do the sorority noise, you know, but like it's just like, I mean I've dated people that are from that background. Like it's going to be pretty effective that the whole like boss lady thing, race aside, all of that is going to be brought against Trump. I mean Trump was civilly found liable not of rape and all, but of sexual assault public sexual contact with a woman like Harris can bring all that against Trump. Whereas Biden, who's an older male and a Brooks brother suit who also has been charged with worse sexual contact. I mean, he could not have done any of that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, let's let's get into what you think Trump can do to offset some of that and to get back on track here for a win. But first up, there's a lot happening. We're talking about it here on the show. A lot going on week in, week out, and that's why I've launched a new E newsletter and it's going to keep you informed about politics, court events, and also the markets. Now I'm not a market's guy. My friend Brad Thomas is, though, So we're partnering up with Wide Remote Research, that's Brad's company, and we're going to be putting out a weekly E newsletter comes out on Mondays. Brad is a brilliant guy who's helped thousands, tens of thousands of people make lots of money in the markets. So we're going to have the the fusion of political and economic knowledge in this newsletter. So we'll be publishing it weekly and it's free. If you want to be prepared, go online to the Urgent Message dot com. You can go check it out for yourself and sign up right now. Go to the Urgent Message dot com. The Urgent Message dot Com Professor Riiley is what does Trump have to accomplish betwe now in the election to win this.
Speaker 2: Election, Well, that's a good question. I think what Trump has to accomplish is getting his voters as excited as Harris's voters and getting them out to the pulls. And it's going to be somewhat uphill for Trump because he also has to overcome a certain degree of I don't say cheating, but flexibility in the voting rules that benefits the other party. So like when we talk about the last election, I mean, people ask was the election rigged? Almost every time as a right leaning political consultant, you talk, and there are two ways to look at that. One is like, did they actually have boxes of fake votes hidden under tables in Chicago? And, as tempting as it is to say yes as a former Chicago businessman, no, probably not. But the second question is were there people that were by one vote in state legislatures with a two vote Democratic margin changing the election laws so that you could vote by mail for four weeks before the election, with votes being counted for six days after the election, this sort of thing like we both know that happened, I mean, and there were votes being counted for a week in some states after voting had closed. I mean, there's that famous graphic of his boxes of votes were coming in, the vote totals changing from pro Trump to pro Biden. Now that I actually I'm a trained statistician, that does not necessarily indicate technical fraud. But what it does indicate is something that you almost never see in a first world electoral process. I mean, you don't normally allow people to fill out ballots and then put four of them in the same time in the mailbox in front of their house and wait for someone else to collect them. And all of that stuff advantages the Democrats who live in concentrated urban areas, who have well organized ballot harvesting operations. I don't know why there was never any mainstream media attention paid to this, but there's quite a famous Veritas or something video of someone in ilhan Omar's Minneapolis driving around with a car full of votes saying, you know, I got them pretty much legally, but here's a car full of votes. So the Republicans are going to have to overcome all of that, which is worth maybe half a point point. So to do that, Trump is going to have to have a really on point message, a really on point operation Now, when I think Trump, I think, you know, a decent, effective leader. I don't actually think really on point. I don't think a guy in every state of you know, Scott Presler quality going out knocking on doors, getting everyone ready to go on message. Unfortunately, I do think that Trump has a pretty effective message, which is that Biden has been one of the worst presidents in recent history. And I don't say that just because I'm more likely to vote for the other party. I mean, when you think about the Biden administration, there's been kind of this default if you've ever owned a parrot, kind of almost avian squat from the media, best ever. But I mean, like, if you look at what's happened, I mean, you saw crime after George Floyd skyrocket over twenty thousand murders for two or three years, I mean twenty twenty, twenty twenty one, twenty twenty two. You can't blame that on Trump. Trump's that office for two of those years. I mean, inflation got up to nine percent. This went on until early last year. I mean immigration, this has been yeah, bad, it's a bad recon good good summary.
Speaker 1: It's been pretty crazy the whole twenty two because Kamala. Depending on what the issue is is either a continuation of the Biden legacy or has nothing to do with Biden, right, and it changes day to day. It's it's been a pretty pretty astonishing process to see how that goes. I want to ask you about the debates here in just a second. But you know, since the war between Israel Hamas started after the terrible terrorist attacks of October seventh, the International Fellowship of Christians and Jews has been on the front lines in Israel addressing the needs of the most vulnerable. That's why I've partnered with the IFCJ. Your life saving donation will help provide emergency food as well as critical security needs such as flak jackets, firefighting equipment, armored vehicles, bomb shelters and more. We're looking for five hundred listeners to join the Fellowship and me by donating one hundred and fifty dollars to meet these urgent security needs. And thanks to a generous IFCJ supporter, your gift will be matched, doubling your impact in the Holy Land. Call to make your gift right now at eight eight four eight eight IFCJ. That's eight eight eight four eight eight IFCJ or go online to support, IFCJ dot org to give that's SUPPORTIFCJ dot org. Pfriessor Raley. His book is Lies my liberal teacher told me, which is excellent. Go pick up your copy, Professor. The debates we've got Harris and Trump in two that have been agreed on. She won't do Fox News, which I said on radio, there's no way she's going to the Fox News debate, and which is ridiculous, but that's the way it. Jd Vance and Tim Walls Mono amano one time. Does it matter? If so, why or if not why?
Speaker 2: Well, the debates do matter, because I mean, as we saw with Joe Biden, a good debate can really make or break a race. I don't expect Trump and Harris are both fairly good debaters. I mean, they both have the potential for an embarrassing moment, but I don't really see that as incredibly likely. You know, I think Harris will come at Trump and try to play the tough prosecutor, you know, saying things like you're convicted of thirty four felonies. I'm the kind of person that puts bad white men like you in jail. But I mean I think Trump can come back and easily note, well, you haven't put a lot of people in jail recently at all, have you, And bring up crime, bring up the border. The borders are role so on down the line. You know, the only people you put in jail were poor young black men with bags of weed twenty five years ago. So they can go back and forth at each other. The Vance Walls debate. I'd give the edge to Vance there because of the quote unquote stolen valor issue, and I mean I looked into that and it seems like this is a real albatross for Tim Walls. Like I feel like Harris didn't have the time to investigate this. You know, Walls was a guy who was in the National Guard for twenty four years, didn't deploy beyond trips to Italy and Germany, and essentially found out his regiment was going to be sent to Iraq and left. I mean mentioned that he was in the middle of a congressional race, filed papers of separation papers to leave the military. Obviously pulled some strings because he was in the middle of that that run for a power position to get out. You can't separate after four years if you're in for six have a lot of buddies in the military and officer roles not out. He was able to leave and JD. Vance was a He was a combat marine. I mean he was in a combat zone. I don't know if he took fire himself, but I mean that's something that is going to be brought up. The other thing with this, because otherwise they both would have served honorably. Walls seems to have spent years arguing that he was in not just a war, but a combat zone. I mean he's said things like, I care no one should carry an AR fifteen like I did in the war. Like I've listened to these quotes, and as someone who respects the troops, I listened with the most sympathetic here possible. It's it's impossible to mistake. I mean he did this over and over again. I mean his Congressional medal, the sort that they can give to friends and local leaders. I mean it has a command sergeant major's insigny on it. You can just google Walls metal and you'll see it. I mean it's the top, rocker the bottom. It's got ten stripes on it, star in the middle. So I mean I think jad Vance is going to be savvy enough about the military speaking to a heavily Republican audience to point some of that out, to have drawings with him and so on. So I think Vance wins out. Walls is probably going to try to play the weird card. But by this point Van's is dirty tricks guys, if you're on Twitter, of similar stories about Wall. So both of them may just avoid mutually assured destruction there. In terms of actual practice, I think Vance has a heavy advantage there. Trump and Harris, i'd expect a more even fight. Again right now, I'd give Harris a slight advantage just based on that edge of novelty. And again, this is something a Republican can never forget, the electoral advantage of the way the election is structured, and the fact that Harris has the entire media behind her running stories like this is the Kamala Namenat. That's a real headline.
Speaker 1: Well, I know the media has been doing crazy stuff, creating this whole it's fabricating this whole narrative. Aou kama. Before I let you go, your professor, you're a very very well read guy. We've talked before about some history stuff. It's mid August. Some people like me are gonna be taking off some time soon. Want a book to read. If someone's looking for a book to read, a history recommendation that you would say is just can't miss. It's so well written, such an interesting topic. What would it be. What would be your recommendation for whether you're by the lake, the pool, the you know, out in the woods, whatever.
Speaker 2: I am, my buddies. Right now, we're reading some of those really manly man's history books, like one is called The Washing of the Spears, which is about the Bantu migration. The Bantu migration is the forgotten Great Conquest. It's how the sort of medieval tech level black people that we think of as black took over Africa. There used to be a lot of other people in Africa, Pigmies which call Koiitson, bushmen, coastal Caucasians, basically whites North Africans. Now there aren't. The Black warriors basically killed them all got a little more primitive as they moved south. So Washing of the Spears is about the Zulus and all that how they came into South Africa. The Zulus invading from the north basically got into South Africa when the whites invading from the south got into South Africa, and this proved to be very bad for like the sort of lovely sheep hurting people that were there at the time. So The Washing of the Spears is a good book about the Zulu Wars. There's another one called The Wheel, the Horse and Fire or something. You'll google The Wheel, the Horse, you'll find it. But that's the one we have queued up. After that. It's about the yam Naya. There were these fairly civil, sort of chariot writing people that existed before recorded history. They had kind of a written language, they just couldn't really figure out how to write it down before paper. But those were the people that came out of like the Great Step and sort of began European civilization. And they were almost forgotten until people started doing archaeology out in the Sea of Grass there and they had had some amazing, beautiful stuff. So we're now starting to rediscover them. So those are my two books about like historical travels and conquests. Right now, what one group of white guys, one group of black guys.
Speaker 1: All right, there we go, I'm gonna pick them up and lies my liberal teacher told me, which is Wilford Riley's book. Professor, have a great rest of summer. We'll talk to you after Labor Day, and thanks so much for being with us.
Speaker 2: Thank you, sir, thanks for having me on