Speaker 1: My expertise is getting secrets from the government, and damn it, I was going to get those Muller records first.
Speaker 2: That's investigative journalist Jason Leopold. These days, he's reporting for Bloomberg News. But on Saturday, November two, twenty nineteen, Jason and his team were waiting impatiently for documents from Robert Muller's investigation into Russian interference in the twenty sixteen election.
Speaker 1: It was the first tranne from thousands of pages of interview summaries that the FBI had tried to keep secret, but we managed to pry them loose.
Speaker 2: Jason was certain there'd be important information in these pages and he couldn't wait to break whatever news they contained. You see, CNN was also getting these records. The issue was that Jason's copy was supposed to be mailed to Chicago.
Speaker 1: Meanwhile, CNN is in Washington, DC and the records office is in Virginia, so they're going to get it first. And I was like, there's no way I will accept this.
Speaker 2: So after some hounding, the government agreed to reroute the package in get it to Jason's team as quickly as possible, and then on this Saturday. In twenty nineteen, the race against time began when Jason's colleague in DC received a package with.
Speaker 1: A CD inside a CD like it was nineteen ninety nine, which, by the way, is how they still do it to this day.
Speaker 2: But with the records firmly in hand, the gravity of the situation set in.
Speaker 1: It was like, holy, we just got the first release from the Mauler investigation and immediately just went crazy and saying that like, all right, we have this. We don't know if CNN has it, but we have an advantage. It's Saturday. We're willing to work on a Saturday.
Speaker 2: It didn't take long for Jason and his colleagues to find something that public deserve to know.
Speaker 1: There was this conspiracy floating around as it related to the Democratic National Committee and the hack of their emails.
Speaker 3: President Trump asked President Zelensky to look into CrowdStrike. He was referring to a cybersecurity firm at the center of a conspiracy theory that suggests you the Crane not rush Up, was behind the DNC server hack in the twenty sixteen elections.
Speaker 1: And so these records revealed that it was actually Paul Maniford who was pushing and floating.
Speaker 4: That conspiracy theory. It was such a big deal at the time, you know.
Speaker 1: So we got the first story up just honestly, within an hour, and then just kept filling it out.
Speaker 2: Sure enough, Jason and the team beat CNN by ours man.
Speaker 1: Everyone there was just so excited, and that evening it was MSNBC that had a segment on it, joining us now senior investigative reporter BuzzFeed News, Jason Leopold. The documents provide a window into what was taking place behind the scenes, and it allows the public to see what the FBI memorialize firsthand.
Speaker 2: And boy was there a lot more, so much more.
Speaker 4: Than we can fit into this episode. But the thing is.
Speaker 1: We wouldn't know any of it, not one bit, if not for a little thing called the Freedom of Information Act the FOIA.
Speaker 2: It's something Jason and I know very well because we both thought to get these documents released, which is what we do together every.
Speaker 1: Day, and that's what we're here to talk about. Cue the music. I'm investigative journalist Jason Leopold. I spend most of my days getting documents from the government.
Speaker 2: I'm attorney Matt Topic, and I fight them in court to open their files when they don't want to.
Speaker 1: From Bloomberg and no smiling. This is Disclosure, a podcast about crying loose government secrets, the Freedom of Information Act, and the unexpected places that takes us.
Speaker 4: I mean, I'll just say it, Matt.
Speaker 1: I never thought that the Russia investigation and the Mueller investigation that looked into Trump would have such a long life.
Speaker 4: We're seeing that in the news all over again.
Speaker 2: Yeah, enormous news. The Trump Justice Department has now indicted former FBI director James Comy Jim Comy, charged with lying to Congress.
Speaker 5: Just days after the president publicly pressured Attorney General Pam Bondi to pursue case against his opponents, including Comy by name.
Speaker 1: The indictment is tied to Comy's twenty twenty testimony in front of Congress about Russian meddling in the twenty sixteen presidential election.
Speaker 2: In about what three days before the Statute of Limitations was going to explare.
Speaker 6: My family and I have known for years that there are costs to standing up to Donald Trump. But I have great confidence in the federal judicial system and I'm innocent, So let's have a trial.
Speaker 1: It's funny because anytime there's something that is related to a hot button issue, I immediately think back to did I file a Foyer request for anything related to that person or anything that they did. And when the news broke about Comy being indicted, I immediately thought back to a request that I filed in twenty eighteen. So back in twenty eighteen, Trump said during an interview with the Daily Caller that he had one hundred pictures of James Comy and Robert Muller hugging and kissing each other. When he said that that was a Foya opportunity. So I filled a Foy request with the FBI and said, I would like to have pictures of James Comy and Robert Muller hugging, kissing each other.
Speaker 4: Oh, that's just so good.
Speaker 1: And the FBI responded by saying they couldn't locate any photographs of Komy and Muller hugging and kissing.
Speaker 4: So I wrote a little story about it and tweeted that app Matt, can you read what I tweeted?
Speaker 2: I would be honored. Jacob Foya update, the FBI has not been able to locate any photographs of James Comy and Robert Muller hugging and kissing parentheses. Trump City had one hundred. My favorite part is you got a response from Komy that says, my wife was so relieved, crying laughing emoji.
Speaker 1: But Matt, as far as that recent indictment from this year is concerned, I'm not going to get into whether Kobe should or shouldn't have been charged, but the history leading up to it is worth discussing. One of the reasons why the effects of the Russian investigation are still being felt now is because at the time, it was an investigation that just dominated Trump's entire presidency, and Trump was outraged that he was under federal investigation, which is why it also became such a big bite for us to get all those records that might never have seen the light of day. So we're talking about something that dates back to twenty sixteen when Comy was still in charge of the FBI, right where the FBI was secretly at work on an investigation called Crossfire Hurricane, and that name was chosen as a homage to the Rolling Stones. What's the song I forgot anyway, We'll figure it out.
Speaker 2: It's jumping Jack Flesh.
Speaker 4: Jason Poser, Matt stop. Don't listen to him. I mean, he's right, but don't listen to him.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I am right.
Speaker 1: So the investigation was to essentially look into Trump's ties to Russia's campaigns ties to Russia. It was opened after if anyone recalls Trump saying Russia, if you're listening, I hope you're able to find the thirty thousand emails that are missing. The investigation also centered around the sources of information that we're coming into the FBI, including what we know now or very suspect sources that were essentially saying Trump has these ties to Russia, campaign has these ties to Russia. There's these communications that are taking place with people at the Kremlin. FBI opens up this investigation. Trump gets elected president, and immediately after he's elected, multiple congressional committees start these Russia related investigations. There was lots of leaks taking place that kind of forced the Attorney General at the time Justice Department, Jeff Sessions, to ultimately recuse himself.
Speaker 7: My staff recommended recuse them.
Speaker 8: They said that since I had involvement with the campaign, I should not be involved in any campaign investigation.
Speaker 1: And then Collby is fired from the FBI by Trump in May twenty seventeen, which Kobe ultimately claimed was related to his handling of the Russia investigation.
Speaker 6: I take the President's words. I know I was fired because of something about the way I was conducting the Russian investigation was in some way putting pressure on him, in some way irritating him, and he decided to fire me because of that.
Speaker 1: So, with Sessions recusing himself, this led to Robert Muller, former director of the FBI, being appointed as special counsel, you know, to make sure any investigation was independent.
Speaker 2: So really the person we have to thank is mister magoo aka Jeff Sessions. I keep handy for these occasions. The Wikipedia page for a list of nicknames used by Donald Trump, I had to look it up at The nickname for Jeff Session was mister McGoo.
Speaker 4: By the way, no nickname for Robber Maler on the list.
Speaker 1: Surprisingly, fast forward to March twenty nineteen, we heard that the Mala report was going to be submitted any day to Bill Barr, the Attorney General at the time, who told a Senate committee months earlier that the public deserved to know what the results of the investigation were.
Speaker 7: My goal will be to provide as much transparency as I can consistent with the law, and I will not let personal, political, or other improper interests influence my decision.
Speaker 1: I wanted to put that to the test, so I called Matt, my attorney, also known as the Foya King of Chicago, as his coffee mug says, Matt and his team have gotten the government to release documents hundreds of times, like when he forced the release of the Lakwan McDonald dashcam footage.
Speaker 3: Mayor Manuel and the prosecutor battle for months to keep the dash cam video under wraps. They lose when a judge orders the release of.
Speaker 1: The video, and he helps me pry things lose from the government, regardless of which party.
Speaker 4: Is in power.
Speaker 2: So the plan was that Jason would submit a FOYA or Freedom of Information Act request for the report. And let me just explain a little bit. You're going to hear an awful lot about FOYA. So, FOYA is a statute that says the public is entitled to government records since.
Speaker 1: It's a government of the people and for the people, right. And this law says that the work of all these government agencies, they're emails, notes, meeting man, it's all that stuff. It should be available to the public if a member of the public asks.
Speaker 2: Except in certain circumstances where there's something like personal privacy or an ongoing investigation, or national security or a long list of things where the government can keep information secret from you. But when they do that, you have a right to go to court to challenge that. And Jason and I have done that countless times in order to get access to all kinds of records. But the first step in using the FOYA is always the same. Make a request, right.
Speaker 1: Just request the docum from the government agency that would have them. I do these requests as a journalists all the time. It's my thing, but really anybody can do this, and the law says that the government has to respond within certain.
Speaker 2: Timelines in the request either has to be denied, or, as happens all the time, the agency just blows you off and doesn't actually comply with their legal obligations. So once that happens, then you can go to court to challenge it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I wanted to use this process to get my hands on the Muller Report as quickly as possible.
Speaker 2: So he makes the request and then like the next thing, that happens publicly is that Bill Barr sends his letter to Congress with the quote principal conclusions.
Speaker 1: So what's out in the public is not the Muller report itself. At this point, we couldn't see Mueller's take, just the summary from bar.
Speaker 2: They wanted to get their version of what the report said out in the world and have it get some traction before they release the report. Yes, yes, and this is like, this drives me nuts. I'm sure it drove Jason nuts. It drove a lot of people nuts. That to me is like FOYA is screaming like, let me in, let me in. This is my job. Now they're saying one thing. You want to know what it really says. Then you got to get the documents.
Speaker 1: And for just a second, it looks like we might get a FOYA compliant version of the report quickly because the DOJ granted expedited processing to my request. Well, except that they almost immediately tell us that it'll take them even longer to process the report under the Freedom of Information Act because it fell within quote unusual circumstances. So we sue the government to get that report. Oh and while this is all going on, something a little weird happens.
Speaker 2: So about a month after Bill Barr released his initial summary of Mueller's findings, they finally released the first version of the mull report itself, but it wasn't actually processed and redacted. According to the FOYA stachues, it was FOYA esque, so they were deact to things like grain jury stuff and like harm to ongoing investigations, or they just use their own kind of shorthand for it instead of the actual FOYA statute.
Speaker 4: Harm to ongoing matter, sorry andthrow matter.
Speaker 2: Yeah, right right, that's the right, right. So we got into court and we're immediately like they got to release the FOYA version like now, like next week, two days, like really really fast. They shouldn't need that much time. They've already been through the report. They're already telling everybody what the report says. Like they need to release a FOYA compliant version of this report like as soon as possible, because every day that goes by is another day in which there's a story out there and we don't really know.
Speaker 8: If that's what the report says or not, which it's important to note, is creating an environment that the judge said, quote I think is going to cause a significant portion of the American public to be concerned about whether there is transparency.
Speaker 2: So we're basically putting the title of the metal, trying to make this lawsuit go as fast as we can get the judge to go, and he was willing to go pretty fast. So they get a deadline by which they have to properly review and reject the report.
Speaker 1: Then our Foyer redacted report comes out May sixth, twenty nineteen. But all the redactions were largely the same. The big difference is that instead of the weird shorthand, they were now citing Freedom of Information Act exemptions to justify what they would keep secret.
Speaker 2: But this stuff was really important because that's how we make sure the government is complying with the law.
Speaker 1: Yes, exactly, Matt Accountability. Plus, now that we knew how they were trying to justify the redactions, we could challenge those in court, which we did and.
Speaker 4: You'll hear all about that after the break.
Speaker 1: Before the break, we had just gotten our hands on a Foyer process copy of the Mola report where the government has said, here's what we want to keep secret, and here are the exemptions that let us do that. So now it's time to go back to court where we say, oh, you want to keep that a secret because you think the Freedom of Information Act allows you to, okay, prove it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because that's what FOYA is like. Stuff gets withheld, stuff gets rejected. But the law says that the government has to prove in court, if challenged, that everything that they withheld, that there's a basis in the statute to do that, and they have to prove that with some level of evidence, and they have to show how the exemptions actually apply.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we really wanted to challenge a lot of the redactions that were hiding the reasons why Muller concluded that some people Donald Trump Junior being a big one here, wouldn't be charged with crimes even though some of their conduct was already publicly detailed.
Speaker 2: Okay, so let me explain a little bit more about how this works. Normally, the government just explains everything they withheld, and they put it in these declarations to describe what they withheld and explain why it's exempt like it rises and falls with that. But sometimes the court will actually say no, I want to look at it, especially if there's kind of reasons to be concerned about whether the government is really being straight about it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we really weren't sure what the judge in our case was going to do at this point.
Speaker 2: And so the next big thing that happened in the case is March fifth, twenty twenty, which is like just before the world shuts down for COVID. I remember, I'm in New Orleans for the Nikar Conference, which is a conference of like mostly data journalists and alta foya stuff. So I'm there when we get this decision, and the judge, who's a Bush appointee just like demolishes Bill Barr and says, I'm going to read this report myself because of this super shady way that the Justice Department went about first releasing like their summary and other things. And then there were disputes between Mueller's team and the Attorney General Bill Barr about whether Bill Barr was mischaracterizing things like that whole ball of X turned into the judge saying this is all fishy. He writes a very scathing opinion.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we have a couple of excerpts here from it, and we've asked comedian Kyle Kanane to read it.
Speaker 4: All right, give it a shot.
Speaker 5: The inconsistencies between Attorney General Bar's statements, made at the time when the public did not have access to the redacted version of the Mullor Report, caused the court to seriously question whether Attorney General Barr made a calculated attempt to influence public disclosure about the Mullor Report in favor of President Trump.
Speaker 2: He's calling into question the credibility of the sitting Attorney General of the United States. Like that's a big deal. Bear in mind, this is Bill Barr, So this is Trump version one. This is when like most of the cabinet people, you know, most of the people in positions of power, they are people with like long Republican pedigrees. And I remember calling Jason and we were both like, oh my god, Oh my god, did you see that part? Can you believe what he just said? And you know, it was, oh man, it was unbelievable. But what that meant was that the DJ had to send over a secret package to the court. Then, after looking over everything for a few months, the judge granted summary judgment on September thirtieth, twenty twenty, which mostly upheld the redactions and effectively ended our case at the district court level. So with that lost stinging a little.
Speaker 1: We looked ahead to the appeals process because there were things that we felt like we had a.
Speaker 4: Good shot at challenging on appeal.
Speaker 2: And in particular, we really wanted to better understand why certain people weren't charged with any crimes even though they're mentioned in the report and there's information about him in the report, there wasn't an explanation about why, for example, Donald Trump Junior wasn't charged with any crimes despite things that were found in the investigation. So we kind of zeroed in on what we wanted to do next, and that's what we were focusing on when we looked ahead to an appeal. And a reason that that was really important was because there was this constant drum beat out of Trump World that this was an illegal political witch hunt, and we thought that a real good way to get to the bottom of that, whether that is true or not true, was to take a close look at how they handled Donald Trump Junior, which would tend to show you if this was an illegal political witch hunt, then you would think that they went out of their way to investigate Don Jior when there was no basis to do so. But conversely, if they had the goods on Don Junior and they didn't charge him. That would suggest it's the opposite of a political witch hunt.
Speaker 1: And there's a huge public interest in knowing did Mueller do a good job or not.
Speaker 2: And so we took that up to the DC Circuit Court of Appeals and we argued over that like pretty narrow issue, which we.
Speaker 4: Actually have tape of the government.
Speaker 2: Is withholding not only the names of Trump campaign officials who were investigated and not charged, but also the justification for those decisions. Oral arguments are really fun, but the most rewarding thing is when the other lawyers arguing and the judges are taking the stuff that you wrote in your brief and they're using that material to pound your opponent into the ground. And that's exactly what happened. They completely understood our theory of how to look at all this.
Speaker 9: The public's need for understanding is really high. Here the president is saying it's a scam, and.
Speaker 2: They just rampaged on this government lawyer who was evading their questions and just trying to like make the thing go away.
Speaker 1: A clear evid insury showing is required to establish government misconduct for purposes are not.
Speaker 9: Talking about misconductor. This rationale it says the public is entitled to understand.
Speaker 4: And it didn't go away.
Speaker 9: The individual has been identified, The facts with respect of that individual are in.
Speaker 4: The public record. They just they really beat them up.
Speaker 9: The only thing that's missing that you've redacted is the explanation for why the government took the position it took in the report.
Speaker 2: And the outcome was because of our lawsuit, the public got to know why Muller didn't charge Donald Trump Junior with any crabs because what got unredacted was the portions that said we looked at Donald Trump Junior for sort of computer hacking type of crimes.
Speaker 1: Let's turn again to our friend Kyle Kanaane for the exact wording from the report.
Speaker 5: The office considered whether Donald Trump Junior intentionally accessed a protected computer without authorization in violation of Title eighteen, United States Code, Section ten thirty, subsection eight, paragraph two, sub paragraph C.
Speaker 4: At subsection C, paragraph two, sub.
Speaker 5: Paragraph you get the point providing penalties for quote whoever intentionally access as a computer without authorization or exceeds authorized access and thereby obtains information from any protected computer.
Speaker 4: All right, mac continue.
Speaker 2: So they believed that they had sufficient evidence to charge him with a misdemeanor, but they decided in an exercise of discretion that they weren't going to charge him, and they decided not to charge him with the felony version because they didn't know definitively that they could prove that the value of that information exceeded I think it was a five thousand dollars threshold in order to argid as a felony.
Speaker 4: So what's your read on it?
Speaker 2: Then it showed me, and this is just my opinion that Mueller handled Trump World with kid gloves in the course of this investigation and didn't go at them as hard as I think prosecutors often do in other cases.
Speaker 1: But you know, I do think it's worth noting that these things we were able to probably lose from the government. Those reactions were originally agreed upon by Robert Muller's team and Bill Barr's team, So this wasn't just Bill barrside trying to keep things secret.
Speaker 4: This was also mullerside trying to keep things secret.
Speaker 2: What's your takeaway there, Matt, These are institutionalists who are primarily concerned with preserving the reputation and integrity of the institutions that they're working for, which is a different question from like serving the broader public interest of the United States of America. And that is why we have a FOYA statute, because we know that that's what government officials are very often going to do. In fact, a lot of times they can't help themselves. I don't even know that I would be any better if I was in those shoes. But that's why we have to have a law that drags these documents out of them, because they don't want to be scrutinized. So the conclusion I would draw is that Muller didn't want to be scrutinized about why he didn't charge Donald Trump Junior, which means there's a good chance that's why it's actually been redacted. It's something they just don't want us to know because they don't want us to be able to scrutinize them and question their work and hold them accountable. But that is something that we as Americans deserve to know and have a right to know. So this is a perfect example of like what FOYA does, why it's important, and what it can get you.
Speaker 1: These cases were to me the best example of how powerful FOYA is and keeping the public informed about what their government is up to and alerting the public to what was taking place behind the scenes, which was capped off by literally unredacting that section of the Mulla Report and seeing Donald Trump.
Speaker 4: Junior's name there.
Speaker 1: I mean, that was incredible, but I will say not as incredible as it could have been, which you'll hear all about after the break. So on the other side of the break you heard about some of the big wins and big news that came out of our attempts to get the Mullo Report unredacted. All in all, we ended up filing five different lawsuits for information from the Muller investigation. But God, Matt, do you remember the time we thought we might just get every single thing we could have ever wanted from the Maller investigation, and then some mark meadows this was awesome. Here's what I remember. I remember that Trump tweeted.
Speaker 5: I have fully authorized the total declassification of any and all documents pertaining to the single greatest political crime in American history, the Russia hoax. Likewise, the Hillary Clinton emails scandal, no reactions exclamation point October sixth, twenty twenty.
Speaker 1: So I read that and immediately reached for my phone to call Matt, and I said, Matt, we have to file an emergency motion in court, and like, I mean, I know what an emergency emotion is, but the fact that that was that immediately popped into my head.
Speaker 4: I was like, we got to do this. Did you see what Trump tweeted? This relates to everything.
Speaker 1: That we are asking for because we are still battling the government in terms of trying to get some of these records released.
Speaker 4: Matt, do you recall that phone call in your response?
Speaker 2: I mean, I got really excited because I thought it was a great idea. There's all these records that are being with Hell's remos based on them being classified or for other exemption claims, and here the president, who has the authority to declassified documents, is saying that not only are these declassified, he's saying he has already ordered them declassed. It was like a cry for help, and it was like we were going to help him, Like this is what he he wants all this stuff declassified and released, and the quote unquote deep State won't do it. Well, Like we'll help, right, Like we can help make that happen.
Speaker 4: I'm not even sure if it was a strategy at that point.
Speaker 1: It was honestly wanted to get you know, I certainly just wanted to get these records, but I was also thinking, what could the response by the government ultimately be to this.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because even if you don't get records, you can learn a lot from the response itself. They'll give you declarations and descriptions of records that lets you understand things like what's the volume of communication on this issue, who's involved, when were they involved? And sometimes those things are newsworthy even if you can't get all the details. So it was exciting and look like it was going to be great for the public, but also a lot of fun to make the government answer for this and say, the president is saying these are declassified and you're not releasing them, like explain yourself. And in terms of timing, we're like a month before the twenty twenty election. Russia hoax kind of language is all over the campaign. This is a huge campaign issue, and like we maybe have the opportunity to just blow open like a whole bunch of additional documents right before the election, because the president says that he wants them all released.
Speaker 1: So follow this emergency motion and what's the process, Matt, you know, and an emergency motion? Right, so so because that's what those are the words I use.
Speaker 4: That was that right? Was it right? An emergency motion?
Speaker 2: Yeah, you called it the right thing. That tweet was October sixth, and by October eighth, we file what's called emergency motion of plaintiffs for court order requiring defendants to reprocess the Muller Report before the November third, twenty twenty presidential election in light of the president's recent declassification in weiver. And then we spend just like two pages explaining what the case is about, in reminding the court that it had repeatedly recognized the importance of these records to the November twenty twenty election. And then we laid out the tweets, and we said, this should be pretty simple. It doesn't require any analysis, it doesn't require any consultation with anybody else. The President said to release this, he has the authority to release it. So order them to reprocess it, you know, we have to like sort of confer with the government, and they indicated, not surprisingly, that they would oppose and that they didn't read the tweet the.
Speaker 4: Way we read the tweet.
Speaker 2: But we filed the motion, and then we're in court I think just a few days later. We have a zoom or a teleconference court hearing to argue all this, and the judge is asking the government. He's like, I'm looking at this like it looks to me like that might be what he's saying. And the government saying, no, no, no, no, that's not what he's saying. He's not saying he classes by anything. And the judge says, well, did you ask him what he meant? And no, nobody actually asked him what he meant, So he orders them to go ask the president what he meant by this tweet. What we did force the government into actually getting an answer from the President of the United States about whether he was intending to declassify all these records, because the judge was like, you can't just come in here and see what you think he meant. You have no basis to know what he meant. Go ask him what he meant.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, essentially the first response by the government was just ignore Trump's traits.
Speaker 4: He doesn't mean what he tweeted.
Speaker 2: So we go into court. The judge says, no, Justice Department, you don't just get to guess what he needs. And so the order says that the Justice Department within like four days shall file a declaration by the President or an individual who has conferred directly with the President regarding whether the President intended to order the declassification and release without reaction of the report prepared by the special coultul mull or blah blah blah blah blah. So the judge saying, I want a statement under oath by the President or somebody who directly talked with the President about whether he intended to declassifying. The task falls to Mark Meadows, who is chief of staff at the time. So he's got to go to President Trump and asked, did you intend to declassify documents when you made this tweet? And Mark Meadows puts under oath.
Speaker 4: And again our friend Kyle Kanane.
Speaker 5: The President indicated to me that his statements on Twitter were not self executing declassification orders and do not require the declassification or release of any particular documents.
Speaker 2: Kind Of doubtful to me that the word self executing declassification order passed through the mouth of President Trump. Maybe maybe it happened, I don't know. We don't know, Like that I would have loved to go another round and said, well, what do you mean indicated? What did he say?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Not? What did he indicate?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 2: And did he really say the word self executing declassification order. I think this is where we kind of reached the point where, like, I think we're going to be pushing our luck if we're like, no, judge, go back again and make them, you know, make them ask more definitively.
Speaker 4: So.
Speaker 1: But at this point we knew, or at least I was thinking it that that Trump although he tweeted that, and it was it seemed like, I don't know, some red meat to his supporters perhaps, but I also knew that we're not going to see these records come out.
Speaker 4: So at this point, like, this is what I wanted.
Speaker 1: I wanted that declaration, that signed declaration where Mark meadows in his first paragraph.
Speaker 5: I am chief of staff to President Donald J.
Speaker 4: Trump.
Speaker 5: I conferred with the President concerning his attentions with respect to two statements he made on Twitter.
Speaker 1: And I just I was happy that we got this declaration, and I think the headline, oh, yeah, here it is Trump told his chief of staff he didn't mean what he tweeted that was the headline, and that was true, and so those documents were never released. But that I think that's also just a good example of how filing itself becomes news in a FOYA case. God, that was fun, man, Remember that that was so much fun. We had a blast just kind of marching in there been like hey, Mark Metal said it.
Speaker 2: Jason and I both have distrust of authority at times, So that's why this is fun.
Speaker 4: It's so true, that's what makes it fun.
Speaker 1: But that healthy distrust of authority we have is also why we do what we do and why forcing the government to abide by the Foya Statutes is so important. The government in America is accountable to American citizens. We don't have to accept whatever explanations they.
Speaker 4: Want to provide.
Speaker 1: They owe us this information, whether they want to give it to us or not. Coming up on the next episode of Disclosure, how the hell was he duped by Russian paranksters? This is Jerome Powell, He's the chairman of the FED.
Speaker 2: Did that actually happen?
Speaker 4: We've even invited a few comedians to read the emails.
Speaker 2: Dear redacted, there will be only one winner who has big gun. Could you please send us some Printy Press, the week in prime American dollars.
Speaker 4: From Bloomberg and No Smiling. This is Disclosure.
Speaker 1: The show is hosted by Matt Topic and me Jason Leopold. It's produced by Heather Schroering and Sean Cannon. For No Smiling, our editor for Bloomberg is Jeff Grocott. Our executive producers for Bloomberg are Sage Bauman and me Jason Leopold, and our executive producers for No Smiling are Sean Cannon, Heather Schrowing and Matt Topic. The Disclosure theme song is by Nick, with additional music by Nick An Epidemic Sound sound design and mixing is by Sean Cannon. Documents were read this week by Kyle Kanaane. For more transparency news and important document dumps, you can subscribe to my weekly Foier Files newsletter at Bloomberg dot com slash Foya Files That's Foia Files. To get every episode early on Apple Podcasts. Become a Bloomberg dot com subscriber today. Check out our special intro offer right now at Bloomberg dot com Slash podcast offer, or click the link in the show notes. You'll also unlock deep reporting data and analysis from reporters around the world.
Speaker 4: We'll see you again next Tuesday.