Speaker 1: Of the Law and Order franchises, SVU is considered especially watchable.
Speaker 2: We are the amateur detectives who kind of investigate the vicious felonies. These episodes are based on These are our stories. Done done, Yay, that's messed up. In sv podcast, I'm Liza Trigger and I'm Kara Klank and we're here hosting episode recaps of SVU true crime deep dives and.
Speaker 1: Interviews with actors and other esteemed guests.
Speaker 2: Wait, Kara, what did you see the Minions movie? You always see every kid's movie or babkay. Well, because I just got a text from a friend going the Minions movie is incredible, by the way, and I was, I'm like, I will got to ask.
Speaker 3: I got that was.
Speaker 1: Great actually, like because it's like all about movies. It's like they the Minions get to like nineteen forties or fifties Hollywood, and that's like what it's about. Or maybe no, probably earlier earlier, because at one point they're using like a real like they're silent, but yeah, like early Hollywood and one of the minions just really wants to make movies. And then it also incorporates Call of Cthulhu, which is a game that Jared plays. Yes, and there's this little Cthulhu monster name Goomi that is voiced by Trey Parker, I think from South Park.
Speaker 3: And he does such a good.
Speaker 1: Job voicing this little guy because he sounds to me like Jerry Blank from Strangers with Candy, which you know is Amy Sedaris, and it made me laugh so much. Obviously, I'm like there with my two kids. They don't know what Strangers with Candy is, But like, I loved it. Minions versus monsters go to it. Everybody catch us. It's like, what do I see? First session?
Speaker 2: Honestly, minions, Like, I feel like you're gonna obsession.
Speaker 1: And I say that as somebody he was not laid an eye on a frame of it, but I think you're gonna love it. I got an invite to day to go, but I just would wrap. We were working and then I I'd rather nap. I have spots, I have a birthday party. I mean, I'm squeezing it all in. Look, I think that's really really smart. You need to rest, but I'm gonna miss it, like scared. I know, I you know, I missed fucking stop that train. And I was sad because that's a movie that I wanted to see in the theater, like surrounded by other crazy people. So I wanted to see that, but sadly I missed it because I was like in the Grand Canyon or whatever.
Speaker 2: But yeah, but I've bess. I really love Robert Pattinson. I mean obviously watched Twilight on the patrenot. We've talked about it whatever. Like he's won me over in a way that I could never see coming. Interesting. His press is just so funny. He's so silly, like I don't know, he just seems really cool. He's yeah cool, you don't hatch.
Speaker 1: To make a friend of No, he's attached to make a movie with if not a friend of mine wrote And I'm like really hoping it happens because it's really good and I think he'll be really awesome in it.
Speaker 2: No, it seems like he's really talented. It's like, so I saw a meme that was like, it's who Timothy Shalla may thinks he is? Yes, you know, yeah, yeah, we really turned on Timothy. He's having his Anne Hathaway moment. Yeah yeah, but he's doing fucking Calshie commercials. It's just like he is, Yeah, your your bro is showing and we don't like it. Ew that's a cool saying, right, your bro is showing. Oh that's been so fun with my backgammon lessons. Is like there's all these little sayings and I really like them, like what like clear from the rear, and then the other one like when you take like a peg, you put it on the middle bar, and so that's called dancing on the bar. Okay, So I like that, Like those are the only two I could think of right now.
Speaker 3: Oh, when in dowt knockout, When in doubt knockout? Okay?
Speaker 2: Yeah, so yeah, that's that's helping me. Let's attack, build your pride, Like yeah, there's just like all these things amazing.
Speaker 3: I like clear from the rear.
Speaker 1: That sounds like it could be applied to some other things.
Speaker 3: I think of what right now? But yeah, oh god, backam it on my mind.
Speaker 2: But there's a tournament that guy told me in January in New Jersey, So I think I'm going to try to train for that as well and go without like just go to play and see domestic and they'll bring me another tournament and league in September, like I might dive in.
Speaker 3: We'll see, we'll see, or it could be a flash in the pace pants. Yeah is that not a sing? It's flash in the pan?
Speaker 1: But I love the pants and it should absolutely stay.
Speaker 3: Babe, It'll just be a flash in the pants. Oh my god, I'm dying. I love it. Oh so funny.
Speaker 2: Wait, there's a guy getting evicted right now in New York because he had too many books and the landlord and victim like used hoarding laws to.
Speaker 3: Get him out.
Speaker 2: Oh no, I didn't read the article, but has been sent to me by a few people.
Speaker 1: Wait, he has too many what books? Oh god, I'll send it to Jared. I make him do one in one out. I'm like, if you're gonna get like fine new books, you gotta like you got it. You gotta just we gotta get rid of some of these that you don't touch.
Speaker 2: That's one of the first times I met you was or we hung out, was in your West Hollywood apartment. You were moving and you were forcing him to get rid of books and drop them off and those boxes.
Speaker 3: And it's like, for as.
Speaker 2: Long as I've known you, guys, there's always just been like a kind of a pressure to get books out of the homes. Yep, yep, there's constantly a box that's half full, where I'm like, what are we gonna fill this bad boy up and get it off? Because he really I'm I'm gonna post a photo of just his bedside table at my mother's house right now. There are probably twenty books on his bedside table on our summer trip at my mom.
Speaker 3: Bet you'll read them all, you know, think.
Speaker 1: So he probably probably probably, but but no, no, he'll probably read half. I think he just likes to bounce around. He likes to have options. It's a lot of books to travel with. It's a lot of books. But we did I guess seeah, we had more space.
Speaker 3: Okay, So I don't know if I already talked.
Speaker 2: About this or in the time machine, I apologize, but you know we talked about like Hudson Williams spat kind of with the paparazzi. Yes, and I saw something come up in my feed where he was trying to light something on fire like one of the pictures. Okay, yeah, yeah, yeah, So so this is the thing like he likes to post and so then I think like he he gave it to us because thank god. But I think it was also like we don't need the paparazzi. I will share my life with you.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So he ended up posting like an eighteen photo fucking main grid post of like him and his girlfriend and friends and art museums. I love that he loves art museums obviously, and just like all fun stuff and like out at bars. And then he posted a ton of stories and then he posted this, and he compared the pop we have to post this on the Instagram. But he posted this, and that's the guy who tried to get the autograph.
Speaker 3: It's Mode baby.
Speaker 1: And I just like, oh, that's freaking what's his name from Dispicable Me?
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's why I'm showing it because.
Speaker 2: His name is it not the main Is it not Steve Krell's character as a kid.
Speaker 3: No, that's not Grue.
Speaker 1: That's the bad guy who tries to seal the pyramids hold on.
Speaker 2: So yeah, so it's like and the paparazzi guy does look like him Vector, it's Vector, yeah, and the hairdoo's the same. Like, so Hudson posts it, I'll text it to you now, so we'll post it on the Instagram. Yeah, But so he immediately like posted roasting this guy to his like four point five million followers, and I'm just like, yeah, like let us fuck it, like let him live.
Speaker 3: He will share with us, I know.
Speaker 1: But that guy's job is to get money, right, like for his website.
Speaker 3: Whatever. Fucking yeah.
Speaker 1: I mean I've said it before on this podcast, like the paparazzi people that I've had to be around have been some of the.
Speaker 3: Most vile people I've I've ever shared space with.
Speaker 2: Well, I was watching one thing and it was like a paparazzi that actually was like respectful and kind. And now he has such close relationships with all these celebs that they call him. Yeah, and because he's been respectful, it's like nothing, but I don't.
Speaker 3: Know, I haven't that's probably the way to do it.
Speaker 1: And then there's these other guys that are just like disgusting that sit in these pits going nobody knows who you are, move on, and they like they disrespect like people that are young.
Speaker 3: Stars on the rise. Yeah, and people are just so rude.
Speaker 2: And then yeah, whatever, but he's posting from like his trip to Greece and like his like I don't know, like he shares, so it's like there's no reason to stock.
Speaker 3: Him actually yeah, yeah, yeah, but whatever, and also probably.
Speaker 1: So much it doesn't really make it probably makes the photos less valuable.
Speaker 2: So yeah, and he does wear the same shirts a lot. He wears like one T shirt all the time.
Speaker 1: Good for him, I like too, Yeah, good for him.
Speaker 3: I'm trying to think.
Speaker 2: Because Daniel Radcliffe did that, I think it was him where like he just wore the exact same outfit every time he went anywhere, so like they just became less valuable because he looks the same and everything.
Speaker 1: Oh that's funny. Yeah, and it's like, what are we getting speaking of Daniel Radcliffe. I just when I was at the shore, we watched a little bit of The Fall and Rise of Reggie Dinkins, which Daniel Radcliffe is in, and it's funny and Bobby moynihan, it's funny. It's very thirty Rock, which is like a show I loved, So it's like very thirty rock.
Speaker 3: Also, do you know what we watched that I liked?
Speaker 1: Have you ever watched Seth Myers do his day drinking thing with people where they get day drunk.
Speaker 3: Of course you know him on YouTube and you know I'm watching stuff. Do you like them? I love them? Oh, okay, okay.
Speaker 2: That's where we got the Viralna Carpenter clip where he goes, oh, right, were you on SVU and she goes a victim yeah, and he goes of what and she goes of what, come on? Well, the best one is Rihanna Like that's the best one. Oh, I gotta watch it.
Speaker 1: We watched the Paul Rudd, which, you know what, I don't believe in Hall passes, but Paul Rudd's like Jared when he asks me for a name, I'm like, it's Paul Rudd. And then we watched the Julia Louis Dreyfus, which I loved because at the beginning she has no respect for him.
Speaker 3: At the beginning, she has and she has no respect and she's like this is such a dumb idea.
Speaker 1: But then she does have a lot of fun like as it goes on, and I loved that. I loved how they were. It's so funny. I'm sorry, watching famous people get drunk is funny.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I like that seth probably goes like he has to tell his wife, like, listen, today's my drunk day at work.
Speaker 3: Yeah, block it out.
Speaker 2: I can't help Yeah, sincerely, Oh my God, Well it's kind of rude because they're in our like orbit, I guess, but they are famous. I don't know, but the Tom Sigora and Christina Prasinski divorcing after nineteen years. Yeah, and YouTube does not like him. I mean they're just like finding all these clips where he's like saying nasty shit and you know their podcast like he's an irreverent person, but it does, you know. But it's like her talking about how they're touring so much, like he tours so much, and you know, it's like your kids are really small, and he just goes, do you like your fucking life? And it's like I bet if you did half the dates you'd still be really rik. Yeah, but like for sure.
Speaker 1: Showed me his poster when like a while ago, and I was like, that's a lot of dates for a guy with two kids. Like I remember thinking that, like especially when your wife also does this job.
Speaker 2: You know, no, like Nikki Glee is there toer posters or that like aggressive, but it's like she's a single girl. Yeah yeah, yeah, yeah, like on this on the Lamb, it's like different, but who knows. I don't want to talk about like a guest business but they are famous people.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I was very like I was. I thought about you when I heard about that. I was like, I wonder if she has scoop.
Speaker 2: I don't have scoop. They don't really talk to me in any capacity, but but I will say, oh, I ring a guy's gal never pays.
Speaker 3: I'll tell you that much.
Speaker 1: Speaking of Austin comedians, I was talking with my friends about like they were like talking about the Kevin Hart roast and stuff like that, and they were like, those guys seemed gross and I go, oh, yeah, like Tony Hinchcliff.
Speaker 3: These like guys or whatever.
Speaker 1: And I was like, you know, I watched I saw Yaminika and Jess Curson do this little podcast bit where they were like, he's always been nice to me. They both said he's always been nice to me. But Yaminika was like, but when you are the king of the white in Cell boys, you need to like own that and say something and you don't. And my friend, who is very involved in like the back basketball world, was like that you're describing Caitlyn Clark right now. She's like, that's what people get mad at Caitlyn Clark about. Because all her fans are super racist. Not all, many of her fans are racists, say really awful shit, and she never speaks up about it. Yeah, I didn't know that, and I was like, that's interesting. I didn't know that. Yeah, so you know, wants that money? I get I want.
Speaker 3: I don't know. I have an idea because the.
Speaker 1: Nike mad at you if you say, hey, guys, stop calling my teammates racist names or my opponents, Like, that's not the spirit of.
Speaker 2: Maybe she's maybe she's a racist. Sooner she's friends with the Cunningham Girls. That's her name, right, Sophie.
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 2: Is that the girl with the pointed finger, the blonde one like she's they call her Maga Barbie.
Speaker 3: Oh I know. I don't know who that one is. I don't Yeah, I don't know about any of it.
Speaker 2: I just got you know, anytime I kind of engage on Instagram, I always regret it because I forget people are so stupid. But I just like people that believe that their partners should not have friends of the opposite sex are.
Speaker 5: Just like.
Speaker 3: You must they must be stupid, right.
Speaker 2: Like, because I said something, I go, I go to me, it's a red flag I go, because it's going backwards. Basically, like we got into a tiff at the bar with one of our guy friends because he's friends with a guy that we both hate, me and my friend and like he's.
Speaker 3: Like, that's my friend, stop talking ablah blah blah.
Speaker 2: And I had to tell my friend, I go, at the end of the day, bro, you have tons of female friends and he has zero. And that's something to think about. Like you are with a man who is so many women hate and you ignoring that?
Speaker 3: Is it weird?
Speaker 2: Yeah, when you're actually here with six women who are all telling you he sucks.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So and we were all drinking, there was a lord whatever, so like that is a conversation that happened. Oh one one of the girls there was a listener, but I think sure left her flight.
Speaker 3: What up canvas?
Speaker 2: But anyway, so in this I go to me, it's actually a red flag. I'm like, I would I don't think I would ever entertain the idea of.
Speaker 3: Being with a man who had no female friends.
Speaker 2: And so I wrote that on this thing that was like a clip from some show and this guy being like you better. This woman's like I've had a guy best friend for like decades, and he goes, well, you're not gonna be able to see him unless I'm there, Like that doesn't work for me. And people are in the art, you know, comments back and forth, and I just feel like, to me, it's a red flag. And then of course a man's like, well, you're project, you know, in like using complicated language for no reason, you know about how like because I have male friends. Women who have male friends are always trying to excuse it, but it's and I go, no, no, no, it's not about me.
Speaker 3: I just I think it's a red flag.
Speaker 2: If a man doesn't like, if you do not see women as people and can interact with women outside of a romantic sexual.
Speaker 3: Setting, that is scary to me.
Speaker 2: That means women do not feel safe around you and you do not respect women outside of fucking like to me, that's gross that.
Speaker 3: You only see women as romantic objects or not.
Speaker 2: And most of the people that are arguing me and someone's like, well, do your parents have friends of the opposite sex? I go, there's nothing I want less in the world in a relationship like my parents, Like are you out of your mind? Like why would I use them? These fucking eighty year olds like my mom has friends. She didn't have running water till she was forty five. I don't know if I look at her for like the foundations of how I'd like to live outside of like maybe you know, generosity and hosting, but like it's yeah, and she goes, yeah, but tell me, And I'm like, my mom has no friends, men or women. She's an antisocial person. But it's like, why are you addicted to what my friends are doing? Like, well, my parents are doing. And then some young girl goes, I don't care. I don't have male friends my husband. It's not sad, you're I go, no, it is misogynistic, Like I think you're all too stupid to see it. But it is a hell I'm willing to die And maybe if I do, subway takes like that could be so weird.
Speaker 1: I think it's so weird to say there is not a single person in the fifty percent of the world that is the opposite gender from mine that I would be And.
Speaker 2: I wrote like gay people exist, and the girl goes, yeah, And if I was a lesbian, my my wife would not have any female friends. And I'm like, lol, Elle, oh, like you clearly don't know gay people, like you clearly don't have gay people in your life.
Speaker 3: You don't if that's what you're saying, you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: And then it's a lot of like dudes mostly, but these girls are just arguing so hard, and I'm like, well, you also don't see your humanity, like you're lost in something too, you know, yeah, yeah, yeah, but being a guy's gal it never works out. It works out for a while. You might make bank, you might make money, but at the end of the day, these men will never pick you when you put them on top of like above women, and it's it's strange.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I also wrote in the comments, I'm like, I'm friends with married couples where I hang out with both sexes.
Speaker 3: Yeah, separately and together.
Speaker 1: As somebody I call his horror wife, like he has like a girl he only goes to the movies with all the time, and they sit in the dark together and they're not sexually attracted to each other.
Speaker 2: I know, I just I feel sex I wrote, So I go, yeah, I think it's sad, but you do you girl, And she's like, it's not sad and you're not married, so it doesn't even matter.
Speaker 3: I'm like, Okay, out Okay, yeah, you shouldn't really be speaking.
Speaker 2: And I go and I don't think I would ever be with someone that said you can't do this, Like that's crazy. Yeah, Like I don't hang out with this kind of person unless I'm there. She goes, if he needs to laugh with a woman, I'm here. I'm like, okay, okay, ew, this is like so much hate. It is it is, and of course I'm getting tat and it's like I actually don't want to be a part of this anymore. But it was just like to something I care about, to pass up a comment, I.
Speaker 1: Guess, oh yeah, you got to dip a toe back into that hate pool every once in a while.
Speaker 3: I know it. I also want to give a shout out.
Speaker 2: So I buy a lot of products from Unscented Company, and my pack there was like a thief ripped apart boxes, stole a bunch of stuff, and I buy giant jugs and refills. So it's like I buy a lot and I messaged them, thinking they would just give me a coupon code or something, and they fully sent me a whole new package.
Speaker 3: Oh that's nice, I thought so too.
Speaker 2: I emailed them and I haven't been good about my email at summertime or wherever. But and so I started a new order and I'm like, oh, I should just see if they emailed. Maybe they sent me a coupon code and they're like, hey, new package coming, here's the tracking number.
Speaker 3: Sorry about your the theft. And I just couldn't believe it.
Speaker 2: Maybe they saw that I've been like a loyal big jug customer for a while.
Speaker 3: Because you're a big Juggie.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but I was like so happy, So shout out unscented company.
Speaker 3: Great great, uh great customer service.
Speaker 1: All right, let's get started, shall we we have a great episode.
Speaker 2: We're any any final you know, we're in the We're in the time machine. This is their final words for a few weeks. You don't want to see anything. We're in the time machine. I mean, guys, enjoy summer teachers. Send us your wish lists. I'm still posting them. And Lisa, I cannot wait to be out of the time machine. And you're telling me how Monaco goes. I really can't wait.
Speaker 1: Stay tuned, everyone, And yeah, we are doing extra stuff over on Patreon Patreon dot com slash that's messed up, go join us over there. We've got a couple of different tier levels you can join. We've got merch up that's messed up live dot com and also takes you to Lisa's tour dates. Also promo codes, et cetera, et cetra. Everything you need as a Tommy in your little Tommy toolkit.
Speaker 3: But let's get started. On today's EPP.
Speaker 2: We're gonna be doing an episode called Child's Welfare, Season thirteen, episode sixteen from oh air date February twenty ninth, twenty twelve. A Leapier, Leapier February Well leapier episode. Yeah that Juel Kimmooster is a leapier baby. Yeah, my most famous leapier baby that I know of. I'm sure there's others. Okay, Child's Welfare. Obviously this isn't gonna be good. So we hear children crying, also deep straight breathing basement vibes. There's rock walls like it's an ancient castle. It's pretty scary that we see like a garbage bag, a door, there's an outside lock. A child is screaming. It hurts. There's more screaming that we see. Someone is tied to a bed screaming and she and she's giving birth.
Speaker 3: So someone is giving birth.
Speaker 2: We don't really see her face, and she wants it to stop, but she has to keep pushing. And then we see there's a toilet just in the side of the room. So someone is being held in a room giving birth with a toilet in a like a cell rock. It's a nightmare. It's honestly what nightmares are made of. And it's what I am haunted by day in a.
Speaker 1: Day out, I would say, And not the first time we've honestly talked about this on the podcast.
Speaker 3: No No, but the fear is so huge. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's just because you know no one's.
Speaker 3: Looking for you. Yeah.
Speaker 2: So it cuts to so that it cuts to an amazing character actress, and in character actress fashion, we don't know her name, we don't know her, but she is the woman from Aaron Brockovich with two wrong feet and ugly shoes and she's in Seinfeld. She's the one that heckles Jerry Elaine's coworker, where she's like boo hiss, and then you know, Jerry goes to the office to heckle her. So she has red hair. We're obsessed with her. She's like so severe. This woman like, yeah, yeah, she's an amazing monologue where Julia Roberts gets to go and what number do you need?
Speaker 3: Do you need to know their diseases too? You know? So it's pretty incredible. So it's her.
Speaker 2: I think she's always played this kind of character, and she's back. Then we cut to Simon and his wife and obviously it's not gonna be good news because it's Simon's involved, and he has the Benson curse, you know what I mean, Like nothing can.
Speaker 3: Go right in your life.
Speaker 2: So the redhead, she's from Child Protective Services and she's talking to one of their kids and they're in the background watching and they're getting judged heavily, and it's just like the kid is super cute, and every time the parents talk, this woman gets mad, but like she's come in to be pissed, you know what I mean, Like it's really crazy. Kids have bruises. Like everything's fine. The younger baby starts crying. Again everything is normal, but she's being cold as hell and like starts to leave. Simon looks worried. And now we're back to the illegal birth and that woman's name.
Speaker 1: Is woman's name is von cox Van I've never heard that name before van.
Speaker 2: So now from via we cut to the illegal birth, and it's like, why don't we try focusing god cases like this, like who's this? Like who's getting locked up? Like why are you bothering fucking Simon and his wife. So the person delivering the baby goes, oh, it's a boy. No, and then we hear the mob plead like please don't take him, Please don't take him, and they take him. So she screams no, come back, and then they and now it cuts to Simon kids being taken away and they're pleading it's an emergency intervention, Like what the hell?
Speaker 3: Like this sucks? Like what emergency? Like this is the thing?
Speaker 2: Like what was so bad in that apartment that ripping the kids out of that house is safer and better for the children. It really is insane to me. There's gonna be a hearing. The sun is screaming as they carry him out. The mother is so upset, and she's really pretty as well. So they all look worried. And thank god he has a sister he can turn to am I. Right, So now we hear a baby crying and she's in a box. I mean, the boy it's obviously a boy. He said, no boys. So the boy baby is in a box on the church steps, amongst the homeless that are sleeping on the church steps. I mean, God forbid they open the door and let them inside. Right, So then they only wanted to keep the girl baby and probably like to raise for child trafficking stuff like I don't know, I don't know what's going on. So but we know the homeless people will help the baby. And now Tomorrow is at work. Look sexy as hell. He's in a white button down shirt. He looks like an uncle getting loose at a wedding. You know, it's not really work attire. It's like he's worriing evening wear in to the office. And so they amara's gonna go beat the baby at the hospital, and bet says like, I'm right behind you. But at this exact moment, Simon runs in, so she's like, Simon, this isn't a good time. He goes it's an emergency, and Rollin says, I'll cover for you. Benson doesn't seem like she wants to help, and she's like, okay, well five years and not a word and no call. So and she's obviously like triggered as hell because this is Seasont thirteen. So Stabler left without a phone call, without a trace, and now her brother has been ignoring her for five years. So he's like, the city has taken my kids, and she's like, you have kids, and he goes, yeah, Stepsud, who's a boy. The baby girl named after you, Olivia, it's your niece, and they just they just took them. He says, it's my fault, but please help me. She looks like hardship, right, Like she's like, what do you want? Like, obviously she's gonna help him, but she doesn't want to. So it goes to it's off of her gorgeous face.
Speaker 1: I completely forgot that he has a full child named Olivia who exists in the world.
Speaker 2: They have to like bring her back. Well at the you know Tracy too, Like.
Speaker 1: Well, right, but like at some point in this series, this is like Odia Benson's only living relative besides I mean, you know, no.
Speaker 2: But yeah, hopefully herd he sweets her. Yeah, yeah, yeah, I would love that. So we're in wood room blinds and he met Tracy two years ago. He was working at a clinic and she brought in tie for a checkup. They're getting married in Jude. Oh, I sped ahead, I said, his wife, but fiance. So there's a cute photo in his wallet of the whole family. And she's like, we'll be honest, what's the reason. And he's like, I did make a mistake. I rode through a stop side the cop had an attitude, made exit the car, searched me and I had a joy in my pocket, and you know, his wife and kids are in the car, and she's like, but.
Speaker 3: It's also like.
Speaker 2: For a joy, like why are everyone is pretending they care about the kids, And it's like, none of you, like you think it's cooler for these children to be scared with someone, you know, their parents being taken out whatever. Yeah, and then she acts like it's this crazy thing too, like oh really, and it's hard to watch now as it's fully legal. Yeah, And so he's like, listen, I had dental work, I lost its seat of weight and the smoking like helped boost my appetite. It'side a big deal and it's also still again one joint and ed he the cop said do you have anything on you made him take it out of his pocket and then got in trouble for public display, so it's really fucked up, and then they call child services for this.
Speaker 1: This whole thing too is like really kind of unbelievable to me because I just feel like it's to me, it's more likely, and I'm sure we have tons of listeners who like work with like the foster care system and CPS and stuff like that, but like, to me, it's more likely that they would sort of give custody to Tracy and say you can take the kids, like, but they have to be out of the house where they have to be away from him. If he's the one with the joint and he's the one that you think gave the bruise or whatever, then like, I don't really see what they set up that would be a problem with them staying with their mother. Oh, racism, yes, And also they would definitely try to make sure that he didn't have a family member they could go with before they just rip them into the arms of foster care. They would say, they would look and say, oh, he's related to a decorated detective of Law and Order Special Victims. You did, she would have gotten a call to probably take those kids, you know, like she probably has family that they could have gone to again racism. It's just like that this doesn't feel like it's being done correctly at all.
Speaker 2: No, And you know, we'll get into this and like the patterns and stuff, but yeah, it's just like how they pick and choose. And I think there's a reason they did like both of these cases in one episode to kind of show like the horrors that happened that fall through the cracks, so that this family being broken apart because of a joint.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and racism and a dash of racism.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And it's like you're taking someone out of a car for a rolling stop, side making them take the joint out, then then arresting them for public display. It's like it is, it's truly crazy.
Speaker 1: And he's like yeah, and the amount of taxpayer money that you're pouring into this also from the traffic stop to the like like him getting in trouble to her to taking the kids, This is like a lot of taxpayer money going towards a guy who has a joint.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's just like it's part of it where it's like if you inherently think black people are bad, then that's that And like Simon is what you know, it's a mixed race couple. I don't know. It can't be me, it can't be me. So they call child services. They came to their house. He lives at a walk up in West Harlem, and then tie out a bruce from an accident, but they don't hurt their kids. And she's like, let me look at the removal order and he's like, can you do something?
Speaker 3: She says, she'll try.
Speaker 2: Craigan sees her in the office and am I delusion to like, I feel like we haven't done a Craigan episode in forever, Like I feel like I haven't seen Cragan.
Speaker 1: We haven't seen Fragan in a minute, because we've been doing some more recent episodes.
Speaker 3: And right away he's like, what does he want?
Speaker 2: And you know, last time he was here he almost cost to your shield and Met says to remind him that he was framed. He was framed for that crime that he did not commit. But again he goes and what does he want. She's like, Hey, it's the only family I have, and Craigan says, and believe me, he knows it. Watch your step and then Craigan walks off. So we're at Mercy Hospital. The baby has cared for no side of abuse, wrapped in a blanket, and like someone wanted the baby to be found, but like why not do like a safe haven drop off at a fire department, up on a borrow, guests is it's someone who does not want to be involved in the system.
Speaker 3: But anyway, and.
Speaker 2: Then a nurse brings the baby to him and rawlins and he was delivered within twenty four hours.
Speaker 3: The stuff wasn't even dry.
Speaker 2: I don't want to talk about it, but it was cut and whoever gave birth like did have help. So that Rollins is like I'm missing kids I'm used to but like just lost, like fucking left babies.
Speaker 3: This is a lot.
Speaker 2: And again it's season thirteen, so it's Rollin's and Tomorrow's first season, so they're getting used to the more hainous crimes. So they are gonna get the DNA and in the meantime they're going to canvass the neighborhood. So like maybe someone saw a pregnant woman who's no longer pregnant but doesn't have a baby. So then Fit and Munch talk to the guy from the church stairs and they're getting not really a lot. The only thing they say is there's a red van that drove by for days like circling and circling, and Benson's on the phone. It's ce met room, bars on her brother's case, and Craigan interrupts like, are you busy, bitch? And there's a team meeting and Munch is leading, so Munch brings up the van. But also as of now, familial search, no hits, no women have come, like looking for help in a hospital. And Benson is texting on her phone with her personal business, and Craigan goes, everyone's stay focused, emphasis on everyone, because this is gonna be a media circus.
Speaker 3: He says.
Speaker 2: Amorrow notices Bence has distracted and they kind of zoom in on.
Speaker 3: Each others faces.
Speaker 2: So then he's focused on her and she's focused somewhere else. And then bay aren't Ellis is here aka Andre Brarr and may he rest? And he did look into the case and he's like, it's really wild that they took the kid for one joint and Ellis is like, yeah, this has happened before, and in all other instances the parents were black or Hispanic, and so the Ben says like, well his fiance is black, and he goes, oh, well that makes sense now I was confused, and he's going to take the case since there is a clear pattern. She's quite relieved and he asks about him and she's like, well, we have the same father, and he nods and gets it immediately and says family secrets. So now Craig asks Fitt and Robin's if they found something, and Fit asks if he remembers Celia Barber, a thirteen year old girl who got kidnapped outside of Montclair, that's New Jersey about three years ago, and he says, yes, you know, she was never found, but her DNA is in the system and she is the mother. So Celia is a lot and is the mother of this baby. And then the report she was snatched by somewhat in a red van. So now we have like the holest church crew bringing up the red van and these old reports with the red van. So why red is such a wild color? But they could tell the parents my dad used to drive a red van. It looked like an absolutely straight out.
Speaker 4: Of s view.
Speaker 3: No red is fine.
Speaker 2: I'm just saying in terms of committing crimes, yeah, it's a little bit more attention getting.
Speaker 1: Yes, But I will say that like the van my dad used to drive more of a maroon. I would say it like, it's not like a flashy cherry red you know, yeah, yeah, yeah. I think he could have easily picked up a couple of random kids and you wouldn't have really even clocked it.
Speaker 2: So they could tell the parents like she's alive, so that's cool, but they do still have to find her, so it's pretty sad.
Speaker 3: They go to the mob.
Speaker 2: She's wearing a pearl necklace at ear eggs and she cannot believe this information, and she's, you know, the dad is her ex. She got remarried since and Oborro's that's so crazy, like your daughter got kidnapped three years ago, you got divorced, found a new partner, and already reburied, Like.
Speaker 3: How many years has she been gone? The girl? Three years?
Speaker 1: Three, that is, But I'll tell you in the real case something that's so oh oh, not all the way similar.
Speaker 3: But some interesting.
Speaker 2: I just like, I don't know, it's just so wild to like reburry so fast, but you know what do I know? So Obarro's like you'd never brought you never bought the story, and she's like it's just always felt off, like they're on a bike ride and all of a sudden, you know, a red van. She's like, and I'm not the only one who had doubts. The cops asked if Leo and her were ever too close, and she was always a daddy's girl. She's like, I thought maybe something happened and he tried to cover it up. And she's obviously upset by all this information. You know, she blamed Leo for something he didn't do. But it is good. She's alive, but like she is shade and giving birth in a basement, so like, what's gonna happen. So now we're with the dad and she got ahead of him on the bike and I do recognize this man and I yelled at him in a boxing class in La He was like annoying me. I don't remember for what, and I kind of like gave him attitude and then he was like, my bad.
Speaker 3: I think I totally like shut up or something. But I did fight him.
Speaker 2: So he peddled as hard as he could to catch up, but couldn't. And he's been praying for this day. He's like, nobody would believe me. And he's with like Ben sit at the office and he has nightmares about chasing this van. He lost his marriage, his savings, everything. He spent all this money out of PI trying to find her. Fit asked if there were any leads with the PI, and he has a giant binder filled with all this information. Two years ago, a clerk at a thrift shop recognized Celia's photo.
Speaker 3: He said.
Speaker 2: The girl started crying and asked the clerk to call her father, and the older woman pulled her away and said that girl, like, you know, you're acting out. So and they were shopping for baby clothes and she was pregnant, but that was two years ago, and he, you know, he talked to her himself. He says, so she might have two kids by now, because obviously that's too years ago. And they were shopping for baby clothes and she just gave birth like days ago.
Speaker 3: So this is diabolical.
Speaker 2: So they're gonna go find the clerk, but Benson is asking him to cover for her, and he's like, yeah, duh, I'm thin, I'll do whatever. So then Ellis is on the so okay so Bugsy Kane Kevin Kane aka Bruno in one of his five other parts on SVUS on the Stand, and he's the arresting officer who arrested Simon, and Ellis is like, obviously you're lying, bro, Like you're telling me he like just took a joint out of his pocket in front of a cop and started.
Speaker 3: You know, doing it.
Speaker 2: And he goes, why I smelled pot? And he's like, you smelled pot on a nod liit joint? Like I fucking doubt it, bro, and the whatever. Kevin Kane's a great actor. He's so young, he's so evil, he's so smug. And basically, how many traffic stops have you made in the last six months? He says sixty to seventy. Ellis has seventy eight. And how many did you make an arrest? And that's twenty two and all except for three year above ninety sixth Street.
Speaker 3: And he's like, well, I don't really have an opinion about that.
Speaker 2: Ellis is like, well you're under oath actually, and he's like, listen, something seemed off and that's that. And it's like did something seem off because it was a mixed race family. So now both lawyers approach the bench and Kevin Kaye's lawyer and Ellis are but basically she's like, we're down to bring it down to disorderly, and Ellis goes, no, it's a bad search, pure and simple. The judge agree is huge, motion is suppressed, case dismissed. Everyone feels like they can breathe again. So, now, like, when are they going to get their kids back? And they're walking down the courtroom stairs and he's like, listen, like the main reason they were taken out is no longer valid, so you'll get your kids.
Speaker 3: But we obviously know it can't be this easy.
Speaker 2: Or like eight minutes in, so Simon is like, you want to meet your niece and they go to the center and she's holding maybe Olivia. It's all so cute, and she's talking to Tyler too, and they really are super cute kids. And then Simon says, this is your family. And then when the kids come home, we should set up a regular Sunday dinner. And Ben said, is so touched by this idea. So now we're back with the team. Basin is fully focused on the case now. But now bet everything's taken care of LOLJK. So this is a lot of New Jersey talk, and like, I was scared there's gonna be state line issues and stuff like that. But they found another case similar that happened outside of Newark Hospital, so they're opt to figure out if that baby and this baby and all these babies are connected. So now we're in a family court and Ellis is doing his thing and the judge is like, sorry, he had weed and that's legal, so fuck him. And then this Aaron Brockovich bitch springs up fast because there's other issues. The house was disorganized, and it's like who gives a shit? And again the bruise, and it's like kids get bruises. I have bruises right now, No one beat me up.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 1: I mean I've talked about this in my COSSA training that like those are biases that you're supposed to look past, like like sure, maybe you would have a rug on the living room floor and you're like the floor is bare. That doesn't mean the kids are unsafe, do you know what I mean? You have to like get past your biases that are like that tell you the toys were everywhere?
Speaker 3: Okay, the toys were everywhere in a lot of.
Speaker 1: Rich people's houses, you know what I mean, Like it just like you have to just the home being disorganized is like truly, I don't think a reason ever to take children, rip them out of their homes and traumatize them.
Speaker 3: Agree, And we're trained for that to know that. So and the.
Speaker 2: Judge brings up like this rape case and Elis is like they were false charges by a disgraced cop, Like what are we even doing here? And the judge is like, yeah, yeah, even though none of this is real and it's just one joy and I think it's better that these children stay in foster care where there's smoke, there's fire, and that's that we have to protect these kids. And like, I can't believe it. I really can't believe it. So she goes, when we hagnore neglected abuse, it's led to tragic results, but this isn't it, And that Ellis states the obvious, which is like this is not the best case of the children. And they both have loving parents, like what's going on? And he's like if it was two white parents, I'm sure you wouldn't have an issue, and he calls what's happening unconsciousable, and the judge tells him enough, so now he has to do drug rehab and in six months they'll review the case and the kids will be left in foster care like I can't, I really can't, And so everyone is shocked. And now they're on the streets and Simon is screaming like they dropped the pot charge. How could they even do this? And Olivia says, we're gonna fight this, and he goes stop trying to convince me to trust the system and the process, like obviously I don't trust any of you motherfuckers.
Speaker 3: They storm off.
Speaker 2: Allison Benson are watching them walk away, and so now back to like the other case, Omaro and Rollins come in and this other baby's DNA does not match Celia, but both boys have the same father, So what are we looking at This father's been at this for fucking years. Four days ago we have baby baby John Doe abandoned our West thirty third Street. And then three years ago we have baby John Doe. Number two was found in Newark, both well cared for, left near hospital, so Ben's but then Benson gets a text. The rest of the team keeps chatting about the baby docases and it's like state by state, the hospitals are closed, the vans, the labs, like there's so many different things going on, like how are they going to get to the bottom of it. So obviously they have to go to Newark and Amaro and Rollins head on down. So the nurse is doing a walk and talk and there's a copy. Oh we're at a CPS style office. That's what I figure out. And they call this baby a miracle baby. They're like, the baby was healthy, there was even ointment on the arm, and nobody ever claimed the baby. And she's like, I did, but I did get a strange call from the Foster family last summer and they wanted to know about the statue of limitations of when bioparents can reclaim their children.
Speaker 3: Huh okay.
Speaker 2: So now Bensid goes to apologize to Alice. Alice is like, don't worry. Everything that's happening is fucked up. It's an abuse of power, like it's fine that Simon's piston screaming, like it's fine. Ben say's like, well, what can we do? And he says, well, I've been reviewing the judges cases and whatever. There's minority parents, she's upheld removal but ruled the other way whenever it's two white parents, and he's trying to set up a ruling. Ben said, asks the Siwich yeah, I.
Speaker 1: Don't even think I caught that. I didn't know the judge was fucked up too, Like what is the luck to get the bad cop and the bad judge? I mean, like I knew the judge was fucked up, but like I didn't know it was like a history.
Speaker 3: I didn't I miss that part. Yeah.
Speaker 2: So then but Benson is like, well for the hearing, should Simon be there? And he's like, well, only if he could stay chill. He can't be blowing up in court. So now we cut to the home of Will and Jenna Fleming and there's a little blonde boy playing and the parents are pissed. They're like, why the fuck is the NYPDR at our house? We haven't done anything wrong. And they're like, hey, I know we're here in a different case because you asked about like Dylan's biological parents, and they're rights like correct, and he goes why and so basically, something happened in July. The dad tells Tomorrow and rowins they were in the city house sitting for you know, the mom's parents, and a homeless young girl came up to them in Central Park and asked how Dylan was and then said it was her baby and that he had been taken, and.
Speaker 3: When they adopted the baby, the Times read.
Speaker 2: An article about them, and the photo of them was in Central Park. So like, this girl I think has just been walking around Central Park for years waiting for this opportunity to like find her baby. And the dad goes, whatever, she's just a crazy girl who forfeited her rights when she left him in a box. And they're like, well, you felt it was serious enough to inquire about it, so like, maybe not that crazy, and it's she has been looking and I guess she like sniffed his hat and that's when she was like, I know for sure it's my baby. And so then Will took a photo on his cell phone of the woman just in case in a file a restraining order. So also it's like if you see an almost young girl who's like, I guess our education and knowledge about all these matters is deeper than the regular person. But it's like to just be well, a stupid bitch forfeited her rights and not like is this an abuse victim?
Speaker 3: You know what I mean?
Speaker 2: Like right, and I know it's like you're protecting your own kid, obviously, that's your number one priority. In this moment, but just the leaps people do to villainize people that are clearly struggling, you.
Speaker 3: Know what I mean.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but I guess if someone approached you, well you gave birth, yeah, because like if someone approached.
Speaker 3: You and said that's my kid, you'd be like, I feel like you're probably not.
Speaker 2: So now we have the photo of the girl, and Rawlin's and Munch are out and about and they're talking to a woman like doing a food bank line outside and she goes, that's Laurie. They call her Crackers because she always wants stupid crackers, but also obviously because they think she's crazy. So and then they're like, she might be bipolar. We're not sure, but late teens and a lot of mileage, like something definitely happened to her. So this food bank woman knows what's up. And she had a story that she was kidnapped and held in a dungeon. But she's like, lots of people have a story here, you know. And the last summer she told this woman that she found her baby and she's going to be a real bob And they're like, well where is she now? The lady doesn't know, but Munch suggests looking for her at women shelters. Cuts to Benson meets up with Amorrow and he fills her in that Rollins and Munch found the girl, and then Simon comes up and interrupts, and she's like, this is not a great time. I am working, and he's like, I don't know what to do. We visited them at the foster home. They're crying and they're hungry. They don't like the food there, and someone said that they might even put them up for adoption, and she goes, no, Ellis will not let that happen.
Speaker 3: He's filing for a hearing.
Speaker 2: We're on it and Simon screams when and she's like, can you give him time to do his job?
Speaker 3: Like please?
Speaker 2: He is a probe and she sends him off to go home and be with Tracy and wait. But obviously he's stressed it or stand that, but it's just like it's all really a mess. Like I understand his frustration and fears, but it's like, you do have to be patient, but I'm not a patient person when I'm stressed out and like things like this happened, So you know, I get it.
Speaker 3: I get where he's coming from. But it's like bro relax.
Speaker 2: And so then they're at now we cut and we're at the shelter where Laurie is and her parents never reported her missing even though she always and it's because she was always running away. She said, she constantly was running away. She never felt settled. And they're like, but why didn't your parents report you missing? She goes, why I always came back except for this last time. And they took me and they kept me lopped up, and Bensay goes like who who? And it was a man and his wife and they made her call them Bobby and Daddy, and they found her in pen station. She was asking for money for a trade ticket back home. Like this makes me like, anyone that asks me money for a trade ticket, I'm gonna do it.
Speaker 3: I'm doing it. I'm doing it.
Speaker 2: You heard it here now, like anyone that asked me for a ticket, I will buy them a ticket. Yeah, because this is this is gonna haunt me. So they're like, oh, we'll just give you a ride. And since it was a couple, she felt okay. And obviously this reminds me of the Colleen standcase the Girl in the Box, which is hot to be for since we started this podcast, and I think about Colleen NonStop. But Benson asks what they looked like, and it is crazy the cases we did for our first like ted, like we really went hardcore all the way. Yeah to the paint, Yeah, because we did like the full Burned episode, like we just full it.
Speaker 3: Are those horrific.
Speaker 2: Episodes and it's so cool we got to talk to the writer of that episode.
Speaker 4: Whatever.
Speaker 3: We have such a fun podcast.
Speaker 2: I don't know if funds the word informative, informative, informative, cool.
Speaker 3: Passion, last speak for yourself.
Speaker 2: So yeah, anyone that needs a trade ticket, I will be buying it for you. And she does look super dirty and like small blonde girl, and she looks very tired, like life has really fucked her up. And she explains that this man was big and sweaty and not a lot of hair and that the woman was shorter with long, dark hair, and they drugged her and she just woke up and she was in a room and she could hear a boiler and once her or twice they let her out, but they did go far. And Tomorrow asks if she remembers anything, and she's like, yes, there was like a tall silver building with tons of triangles a few blocks away, so they guess it's the Hearst Building on fifty seventh in Manhattan. I'm like, now you find the room for a cellar in Manhattan.
Speaker 1: The audacity to be like kidnapping people and holding them long enough to like impregnate them and have them give birth in Manhattan, I don't under I mean.
Speaker 3: I guess there are a basements, but.
Speaker 2: But yeah, he would give her lemonade and vodka and then he would get on top of her and bedsit is listening, and it's so upsetting. They kept her for over a year and she had the baby and the guy said no boys in this house, and then they took the baby and that was it, and she couldn't stop crying. So they put her in the van and dubbed her by Yankee Stadium and then Craigan walks it to the shelter. So Benson excuses herself and it's like, uh, oh, captain, what's going on? And he's like, when's the last time he talks to Simon. She says it an hour ago, and then he asks if she knows where he is, and she says she has no idea. So he has been calling her, but she hasn't answered. What's going on. Well, fortunately Simon and his fiance kidnap the children for foster care. There's an Amber alert out for him, Like, are you out of your fucking mind, Simon, Like, we're rooting for you, We're fucking rooting for you. We're on our side. You've been fucked over the system. You have a fucking lieutenant on your side. You have, you know, bayern al Alice on your side. I like that they made his character name as hard to say as his as his real actor name, you know what I mean, Like Broad brought her so hard for me to say, and but Bayard Ellis is so hard for me.
Speaker 3: They're both really difficult.
Speaker 2: And now that I'm like stuffed up and sick, like I mean, it's it's just like been hard for me.
Speaker 1: But like this fucking guy, like if you remember when he was going through his whole case where he was getting like framed for the rape back in Jersey or whatever, he jumped bail and Olivia got in trouble for like no, and so now it's like he's stealing his kids. It's like you want to feel bad for this guy. But he's just keeping making all these boneheaded decisions.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, and so that he of course, Craigan of course goes, I use your photo. You don't have a choice. So she's stunned. It's like, what the fuck? Why would he do this? So obviously they've been found. Immediately they're being arrested, the kids are being taken. A uniform cop slams Simon on the hood of the car, and Benson runs up like, hey, hey, he's not resisting, and the guy goes, who the hell are you, and it's like, you're Superior's buddy. Shut the fuck up. So then Craigan begs to take custody of them. He's like, fine, but just follow us to booking. So the Benson enters the cage with him and Simon. At least he makes a little joke and goes, god, I love Belodi sandwiches. And she asked what was he thinking and he says, well, obviously I wasn't. And then Tracy had family at South Carolina and like, I just thought I would go there, and it's like, you're a fucking idiot.
Speaker 3: He goes, I messed up.
Speaker 2: I'm sorry, and she's like, well, yeah you did, and he just wanted to be a good father. She knows that, and then he says, what is weird, as my father was a better dad to me that I've been to my own kids. She gives him a death stare and he's like oops, and it's like, yeah, your dad's a rapist, So if you're done with him, and he goes, if you're done with me, I completely understand, and Mezico's just stop, Simon, just stop.
Speaker 3: And she sighs and.
Speaker 2: She's like, I'm going to talk to Ellis, but the bail's gonna be hard, and he does understand that, and she looks very pretty.
Speaker 3: I love her.
Speaker 2: So he says I'm sorry, and she goes like, you want to be a good dad, grow up. And he's locked away and she leaves. So now rollins Hays, Laurie and woodroom blinds, and she asked that the man and women are the only people she saw.
Speaker 3: She says that she heard other people.
Speaker 2: Sometimes they would have parties in the courtyard, but she didn't scream because there were rules in the house. But one time police came and she did start screaming. This peaks Tomorrow's interest, and then the h and then she goes, well, the mommy came in and gagged and drugged me and it was with a needle, like surrendered something into her arm. So then she heard the radios and like someone maybe got shot, and she did hear a gunshot.
Speaker 3: There was a man screaming.
Speaker 2: There were sirens and it was July fifth, the first year with them. And the reason she clocked that is because the day before there were fireworks, so she knew it was July fourth. Smart girl. So she doesn't want to go back to the shelter. She doesn't blame her, and she's going to make some calls and figure some stuff out and like help her out. So now if we could help Cibon, I think we can help Laurie.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So then it's a raiment core and Alice is like, okay, listen, my clients are earn a flight risk and it's like, are you kidding me? They truly kidnapped and tried to flew the coop the day before. But he goes, what they want more is to be that anything, is to be reunited with their kids.
Speaker 3: And there's a new judge, thank god.
Speaker 2: And she's like, well, that's one way to rationalize kidnapping and she gives the wife bail since it's her first time, but he gets no bail. Betson and Ellis are walking back down the court steps and he is like, well, we've lost the high ground, and you know, he's like, arguing that the state had no right to take their kids is one thing, but now we're talking second degree kidnapping, which is a class B felony. Like, girl, he could get twenty five. And she's like, there's got to be a way to reduce the charges. She's like, I hate pushing you, and Alice is like, listen, he's made it very hard for us and like, how could I It's a stable home now, and she's like, well, what about the class action lawsuit? He goes, yeah, I'm preparing that, but like, I have to find a different test case now. So now Amara walks in and Finn is sitting on top of his desk hip cool. Love that they walked Laurie around Hell's kitchen and besides the Hearst building, like nothing else really looked familiar to her. So now Munch walks in and goes, well, what about this July shooting and Rollins is like, well, yeah, dozens of police reports it's fucking three day holiday weekend. Do you think people will remember anything? Like, what are the odds of that? Finn turns around and gives her a nasty look because it's like, okay, gambling at it. What are we talking about odds for? And she goes, it's just an expression. And she's also like, let's just check the ers and see what's up. So they're at Mercy Hospital and okay, this is what's crazy.
Speaker 3: You're telling me.
Speaker 2: A New York City er nurse remembers the case from three and a half years ago. I'm sorry, you've reached the limits of what I can do. But she goes, oh, the rat slayer, I remember that because the uncle well, I guess this is funny, but an uncle shot his nephew in the foot, claiming he was aiming at a rap So they're like, you know, so it's a hero nurse.
Speaker 3: She remembers this. She also says that when he got in.
Speaker 2: Though, the wound had already been well taken care of, and it's like, well, that's crazy, and they're like, well, his aunt brought him in.
Speaker 3: Who's the aunt?
Speaker 2: Magda Plaski and she works here and she's one of the best neonatal nurses are that's ever been And they go and did she used to work in New Jersey And they go and she the other the nurse goes, yeah, the New Work Hospital General before it closed. So they find Magda and she's like, give me a minute, there's a baby that needs my help. But they're like, actually, bitch, I don't think so, and he's like, you're gonna make us chase you. So she knows what's up and she goes, well, i'll talk to you in an hour when my shift's done, and they're like, you're a dumb bitch, Like I truly want to grab her by her ponytail.
Speaker 3: It's slammer.
Speaker 2: It gets the ground and Rala's screams, try now, where is Celia?
Speaker 3: She asks.
Speaker 2: She goes, I don't know what you mean, and they're like, oh, you know, and you know about the baby that was abandoned, so stop playing stupid. You know where his mother is and we know that. Robin says, it's over. You worked near the hospital where Laurie's son was found too. We know everything. You made sure both babies were taken care of, and you took care of them, so we know what's going on, got it And she responds that you know I would let anything bad happen to them, and he's sickened by her, and she says, it's just Daddy didn't want boys. So your husband, you mean, we know it's him and it's not you. So tell us where he's keeping Celia. So they head down to the basement. She's crying but like, you know, leading them to where she's locked up.
Speaker 3: This space is so expansive. What is this?
Speaker 2: It like truly feels like the underground of a school or something. Like it's giant a factory. Like how do they have access to the space?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Or he's a landlord like or a super or something super. Yes, so he can get into like a big basement of a large building.
Speaker 2: I guess yeah he look yeah because the way he's dressed when they get yeah, he could be a super. So they head down to the basement and she's crying but leading them there and it's locked from the outside. The whole swat team's there. We do find Celia. Benson is comforting her. Roalin's is in the back. She's like, this girl has no expression on her. She goes, no, don't hurt her and We're like, who and a toddler is there? There's a fucking little girl in there.
Speaker 3: Oh my god.
Speaker 2: So Benson immediately is like high sweetheart, bends down, grabs a little toddler girl. It's okay, baby girl. She reaches for Celia, and then a borrow's screaming at bag to where is your husband? And they let her call him and it's like she's a dumb bitch, you guys, what are you talking about? So she speaks in I'm gonna assume Polish because of the name, and she gives him clues, so he starts running. A barrow runs after him. There's a full pursuit up the fire escapes. They're running up now they're on the roof. In my head, I'm like, I want him to jump off and die, but also I do want him locked up in prison so he can.
Speaker 3: Live the way he like locked up these young girls.
Speaker 4: Yes.
Speaker 2: So Tomorrow gets him and goes it's over daddy and drags him away and we're in SeMet room bars and he's, you know, signing papers, so probably confessed, and like he knows he's caught. So he says, I know you probably think you save those girls, but I was their whole world. They'll never forget me again. Losers trying to grasp for power in this world, and I want to know more about them, to be honest, Like I want to know more about how they got together. If Magda's going to obviously Maga's going to prison too. But they leave him below at cemet room bars and scream to get him out of there, and Benson says, I need a shower.
Speaker 3: Also, what was again? What was that fucking building?
Speaker 2: Robin says, Celia will be reunited with her family and her father's going to petition to have custody of the baby, and the two year old daughter, Laurie is getting help and the adoptive parents have agreed to let her have visitation, which is huge, Like I didn't see that dad agreeing to that, And then Craigan says nice work to everyone. Benson's phone rings tomorrow, asks what's up, and she just walks past him. Tomorrow's due in her life, like she doesn't give a fuck, And so that now we're like a in prison Simon and Ellis, and she's like Ellis worked on a deal between child Services in the DA's office to reduce it from kidnapping to custodial interference, which is a misdemeanor, which is a huge win, and he'll only serve sixty days. And he goes, wait, where's Tracy. Shouldn't Tracy be here? And Ben's goes, well, she had to get her own lawyer. They're separating the cases. It's the only way for Tracy to regain custody. One condition is you will give up your custody petition. And he screams, so I have to give up my daughter. And it's like, you were about to serve twenty five years for kidnapping, Like this motherfucker is pissing me off. And he like he thinks the cops sister will just like get him out of everything, Like come on, bro, so Ellis explains, for the next three years, you can only see your kids in a supervised setting and he has to move out of the apartment and get his own place. He looks at Benson and goes, this is the best he could do, and it's like, seems pretty good to me. And then Benson says, it's better than your daughter visiting you in jail.
Speaker 3: Again.
Speaker 2: You were looking at twenty five years. You're serving sixty years. You'll still get to see your children, just supervised. Like, I am shocked that Simon is acting like this. That's like what is annoying is like he's He's like, I was just trying to do the right. It's you did a dumb thing.
Speaker 3: Like yeah, he doesn't really take any responsibility. The judge will revisit that. This is even amazing. The judge will revisit in one year if he doesn't violate his parole. He shocked.
Speaker 2: Tracy went along with this, and it's like, yeah, what are the other options for kids sit in foster care? Yeah, so that he says, well, we're getting married, and Ellis goes, not right now, Tracy needs some time. He gets up to leave, and he's like, that's it to medicine. So she keeps looking at him, and he's like, I really thought I could get the right this time. She goes, I know, and they hold hands and she goes me too, and uh tears well up in his eyes and that's dick wolf baby. And now I'm like, so, I mean, I know the names of the cases. They're famous cases, but I'm really interested in the details.
Speaker 3: Whatever.
Speaker 1: Yeah, then we yeah, and we also don't see Simon now for like nine more seasons, Like that's goodbye.
Speaker 3: That's a wrap. That's a wrap on Simon for nine seasons.
Speaker 1: So you know there was two like there was another case being floated around that this was like about, but that person has never been that's a kidnapping that the person's ever been found. So I'm just going to focus on like the one major case that I think this is about, which is the JC DO Guard case. And I've heard of this and I guess I just I think I thought a lot of this case was what happened to Elizabeth Smart, Yeah, but it's not. It happened to JC D Guard first. So first to get into this story, let's get some backstory on Philip Garrito.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 1: In nineteen seventy two, when he's nineteen years old, Philip Garrido, a California native, is arrested in charged with repeatedly raping a fourteen year old girl after drugging her, but the case never goes to trial after the girl declines to testify. Okay, In nineteen seventy six, he kidnaps twenty five year old Catherine Callaway in South Lake Tahoe, California, sexual assault her for over five hours in a reno warehouse. Luckily, a fucking cop noticed a car and went up and knocked on the door, and when he opened it, the girl was like help, and so he was arrested.
Speaker 3: He got court ordered psychical.
Speaker 1: He was diagnosed as a sexual deviant and chronic drug abuser, as he frequently abused meth and LSD, and he was convicted in nineteen seventy seven. He was sentenced to fifty years in a federal prison. Awesome, right, No, what do we know about the seventies and eighties and fucking jail sentences? They basically the numbers are all made up and make no sense. So after eleven years, he's released to Nevada so that he can serve a five year to life sentence there. He does seven months of that. Okay, so he's done eleven years and some change on this sentence.
Speaker 2: And if this is after raping a woman, yes, for holding a woman and raping her.
Speaker 1: For multiple hours, yeah yeah, yeah, kidnapping her like removing her from a place like yeah.
Speaker 5: So he.
Speaker 1: Is released and so the in his first sentence at the federal institution, he did meet he did.
Speaker 3: There was a romance Okay.
Speaker 1: He met his wife, Nancy, who met him in prison because she was there visiting an uncle or something. They got married while he was in prison, and then when he got out, he moved with Nancy in with his elderly mother in Antioch, California. So he was ordered to wear like a GPS enabled inkle monitor and regularly check in with his parole officer like he had.
Speaker 3: Interactions with law enforcement a lot.
Speaker 1: Okay, So now let's talk about September nineteen ninety, ten year old Jac Duguard moves with her mother's stepfather and half sister from Arcadia in Los Angeles, where I enjoy the mall frequently to a town about seven miles south of Southlake Tahoe, where I've also been, and I.
Speaker 3: Love Southlake Tahoe. It's so beautiful because they wanted to move somewhere safer. Okay.
Speaker 1: Nine months later, it's June tenth of nineteen ninety one, eleven year old Jac leaves for school. She walks up the hill to where the bus stop is, the school bus stop, and when she's halfway up the hill, this grace car with two people in it, like kind of you, turns around and stops and stops beside her, and she thinks they need directions, and sadly, the person driving the car is at this point forty year old Philip Gurrito and Nancy, his wife, who's riding shotgun. He rolls down his window tases Jac with a stun gun. She goes unconscious. Nancy drags her into the car takes off all of her clothing. The only item they forgot to remove was a butter fly shaped ring, which she went on to like hide from them for a long time. So what's crazy is Jac's stepfather, Carl Probin. He sees the whole kidnapping and he jumps on his mountain bike and tries to like bike after them, but he can't catch up to them.
Speaker 3: They're too fast, so uh yeah, it's like really terrible.
Speaker 1: And then he becomes a suspect, as does Jac's biological father, Ken Slayton, but he gets cleared pretty quick. And Carl the stepfather, like, by the way, he wasn't the only witness. There were kids at the bus stop who witnessed it as well. So like the stepfather, I think did a couple of like compulsory like polygraphs, but he passed.
Speaker 3: Them all and like he was cleared pretty quickly as well.
Speaker 1: But Carl and jc's mother, Terry, their marriage did not survive the abduction. He later told CBS News, losing JC ended the marriage between us. We've never had a fight. We're best friends right now. But losing JC just changed her life. So it's not the same as being remarried like what happened to the other person.
Speaker 3: But they did.
Speaker 1: Their marriage did break up like pretty quickly, I think after it was done. So meanwhile, JC gets driven three hours to the Grido's home in Antioch, California. She's in and out of consciousness. Nancy's like holding her down underneath a blanket. She begs them to let her go. She's like, my parents won't have any money to pay for a ransom behind their home. It's exactly what I think of when I think of Elizabeth Smart's thing, or like even no, like the turbans, I feel like I think of them being inside, but like Elizabeth Smart, I think of being in like tents and sheds and like ramshackle kind of structures.
Speaker 3: That's like the whole backyard.
Speaker 1: And there are pictures if you want to click on some of my show note links where you can see what like the back looked like, and they put JC into this very small shed that had been soundproofd. He handcuffed her naked in the shed and told her that there were trained Doberman's outside that would attack her if she tried to escape, and he bolted the door shut. That first week, he forced her to take a shower with him. She had never seen like a grown naked man before. She was always handcuffed and Gerrito was the only person she saw. He brought her fast food, talked with her, and he gave her a bucket to go to the bathroom in. And a week into the kidnapping is the first time.
Speaker 2: Were they looking for her or did they have the setup for any random person they could snatch?
Speaker 3: Good question.
Speaker 1: The district attorney who tries them later believes that Nancy found him found her, excuse me, and like brought her brought like like they captured Like it was like a prize for him.
Speaker 3: So yeah, Nancy's not good.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So it's like it's sort of believed obviously that this wasn't just like a random like let's see who we can grab, like that they had like the idea for her, And although he had like later confessed to like masturbating outside of elementary schools all the time, Like I mean, he's just like disgusting, So it's possible he like saw her and she like then Nancy did the reconnaissance like who knows, So a week into the kidnapping, he rapes her and then he continues to do that at least once a week for three years, and eventually he gave her a TV, but she wasn't allowed to watch the news, and she had no clue that anybody was searching for her, and she said later that she watched a lot of QVC, so like at the beginning, it was like only QBC. So about six weeks into the kidnapping, he moved her from the shed into a larger room, where he handcuffed her to the bed. He told her that demon angels let him take her so that she could help him with his sexual debancy, so like he knew he had some kind of problem. And by the way, his father always said that he was like a perfectly normal, good kid, but then he got into a motorcycle accident and that's where he went. So it's possible this man has a brain injury that is count contributing to his horrible drug abuse and sexual deviancy. I have no idea, he told her, Basically, you're helping other people because if I have you, I'm not going to do this to other people.
Speaker 3: So super fucked.
Speaker 1: He would go on these drug binges that he called runs, and they would last for days. He would force jac to perform sex acts on him and ask her to listen for the voices that he could hear, like coming from the walls and stuff, and he told her he was like a chosen servant of God. And then at the end of the drug run, he would cry and apologize to her, but then also threaten to sell her to even worse people, like I'm going to sell you to people that are going to put you in a cage and stuff like that. So then seven months into the kidnapping, Gurrido introduces jac to Nancy, So she doesn't see Nancy the first seven months, and I don't know if he's like studied this or what this is, but he's basically like forming a bond with her, but also torturing her to the point that she is like really really hoping for Nancy's approval and love right, like, oh my God, a mother figure, you know, like a woman, And so Nancy brings her a stuffed animal and chocolate milk and also cries and apologizes to her. But it turns out Nancy is just as horrible and manipultave as her husband. She basically vacillates between motherly comfort and insane cruelty to this girl. She's very jealous of Jc because of like obviously the attention that the husband gives her and Nancy much like in the episode, she's not a nurse in like a baby nurse, but she's an in home aid like a nursing aid. So at one point, when Garrito failed a drug test, he went back to prison briefly and she took over as Jac's captor. Like she could have released her at that point, but she or say, oh my god, she escaped. I don't know what to do, but just kept her while he was in jail. A neighbor said that he met Jac at one point through the fence and she said her name was Jac and that she lived there. She never saw a doctor, she never saw a dentist. And another like insane psychological torture thing they did to her was twice they gave her kittens, but then the cats would like disappear without a word, like they would just like take the cats away and do god knows what. But she was never permitted to say or write her full name because she had like a journal she kept about the kittens, and one time she wrote her full name down and they were like rip out that page, and she was told that she could never say or write her name down ever again, her full name. So about three years into her kidnapping, he puts up like an eight foot tall fence around the backyard and a tent for her, and that's when she's finally allowed to walk around outside without handcuffs for periods of time. She still locked in the bolted room for like the rest of the time, but they let her. You know, it's kind of like what with Colleen stan right, Like after this period of time, she was allowed some freedom. She was even allowed to go back and see her family. So he's allowing her freedom. And then the Gurridos tell JC when she's around thirteen, two and a half years into the kidnapping, that they thought she was pregnant, and she knew she was gaining weight, but she didn't know why, right, so she would watch TV shows about childbirth to like prepare because she knew, like a doctor was not going to be helping her, like she was gonna have to like just give birth with just these two insane people. So in August of nineteen ninety four, when she was fourteen years old, she gave birth to her daughter. After this, he slowed down on like the habitual rapes, he would still do it on his drug binges, and then the last time he sexually assaulted JC led to the conception of her second daughter, who was born in nineteen ninety seven when JC was seventeen. So JC basically parents her children, learning information she gathers from the television. She planted a garden and flowers. She homeschools her kids. She tries to protect them from Grito, who's still a drug crazed, ranting maniac. He demanded that the girls refer to Nancy as their mother and that JAC is their older sister. I kind of read some conflicting reports that that's like what the girls actually thought, that they actually thought JAC was their sister, their older sister, and not their mom, and whenever they met other people, they had to keep up that whole charade.
Speaker 3: That like this is their mom and these you know, these are the three sisters.
Speaker 1: So Garrito ran a print shop and jac worked as a graphic artist for him at the print shop, and customers said she did great work. She had interactions with customers who said they never noticed anything weird. She never told anyone who she was or like that she was abducted and at the shop she had access to a phone in an email, but she never used them to escape. And I mean, we saw this again with Colleen stan There's a lot of reasons for that. But also she has her two children, Like she if she's not with the children, she's not gonna call and possibly get picked up by the police, and then what happens to her kids.
Speaker 3: Like he could just kill them, Like so she's too scared to ever do that.
Speaker 1: On at least two occasions, law enforcement comes to the home but never asks to see the backyard and never saw any signs of JC or her kids. The police never kidnapped, never connected Sorry that the kidnap and rape that Garrido committed in nineteen seventy six. He also took that victim from South Lake Tahoe, which is only minutes away from where Jay c was taken, and I know there's like fifteen years between those, but you would kind of think this is like a small rural area. Let's like look into some past cases and maybe see if there's any or maybe just like check the yard, yeah, or maybe like check and see if there were any paroles around the area, like when I mean, if it's supposed to be a fucking ankle bracelet that is monitorable anyway, In two thousand and six, fifteen years into her abduction, all seem yeah, fifteen years, oh my god, fifteen years into production of one of the neighbors calls nine one one to say that there's kids living in these tents in the back of the property and that he's a fucking psycho sex addict. The cops came, they talked to him for thirty minutes, and then they left and said, like, you're gonna get fined if you have anyone living in that backyard. So finally, in August of two thousand and nine, Garrido stops by the San Francisco office of the FBI. Okay, he leaves a four page essay about religion and sexuality and how he's figured out how to solve the problems that caused his past crimes, and he could help cure other sexual predators. All you have to do is kidnap one young child and make her your sex slave, and then you won't hurt other people. That's basically, And he's saying he's cured because he did stop sexually assaulting her in nineteen ninety seven, so he has not sexually assaulted her now in twelve years. But it's just beyond So he swings after that, he swings by UC Berkeley, and he's got Jac's two daughters with him, okay, who at the time are eleven and fifteen, and they're his daughters as well. They're eleven and fifteen at this point, and he's asking Berkeley about coming to host to talk about God and all these crazy fucking ideas, and the event manager, this woman, Lisa Campbell, is like, this man is reading fully bonkers, and she's concerned.
Speaker 3: About the daughters.
Speaker 1: Like she's like, why don't you leave your name, make an appointment, leave your name and like for the next day, and then she calls authorities officer Ali Jacobs.
Speaker 3: Finally a mother, a woman runs away. What did I do with the letter? I don't even know, if they just like chopped it up to it being a crank.
Speaker 1: Maybe they didn't even look at it until this all came out later, but that just kind of, you know, like it's yeah, I don't know. So this woman officer, Ali Jacobs, she runs a background check and discovers that he's a registered sex offender on federal parole for kidnapping and rape. And when Gerrito and the girls come back for their appointment the next day, the off or attended the appointment as well, and she said the girls looked pale, like they hadn't been exposed to sunlight. Their behavior was unusual, and then she called Grito's PO to relay her concerns. So two POS parole officers drive to the Grito's house later that day.
Speaker 3: They cut his name didn't sound so close to Douredo.
Speaker 1: I know. They cuff Gurrito. They searched the house. They find only Nancy and his elderly mother at home. I'm like, damn, the mom is still alive. They've been there with her for like twenty years. Like I didn't realize that she would still be alive. The parole agents then drove him to the parole office and he told the cops that the girls are the relative, the children of a relative, and he had permission to take them to Berkeley. And even though he was not allowed to associate with miners, and Berkeley was fifteen miles beyond the area that he is allowed to travel as a parole, the parole officers did nothing. They dropped him back off at home and told him to report to the office next day to discuss the Berkeley visit and follow up about the two girls, but they like allowed him another night in his home. He arrives at the parole office in Concord, California, on August twenty sixth with Nancy, the two girls, and Jac who he's introducing as Alyssa, and the parole officer decides, I'm going to separate the women and the girls from Garrito to speak to them. He like, Jac's still calling herself Alyssa. She's like and she told them that the girls were her daughters, and she told them that she knew that Garita was a sex offender, but that he's a changed man and a great person and he's good with her kids. And the girls agreed, they're like, we like him. So when they questioned Jac to verify her identity more. She got very annoyed and defensive and was like, why am I being interrogated? And she claimed like, I'm a battered wife from Minnesota and I'm hiding from my abusive husband, and you know, this man's taken me in and blah blah blah. The parole officer eventually called the conquered police, and when they arrived, Garto just admitted to the kidnapping and rape. I don't know, like, I don't even know if he was just like the jig is up, or maybe he's just like so batshit that he's just like, let me explain to you. And he tried to tell people I've registered my thoughts with the FBI, which is like leaving a four page basically like manifesto confessing to sexual predation.
Speaker 2: I mean, if he didn't confess, I wonder if these girls would ever have been saved.
Speaker 1: I know, because here's what happens. Girito and Nancy get arrested, and only once they're arrested does jac finally identify herself as jc do guard and says that she was scared her children will be taken if she didn't keep up the story and an FBI agent lets her talk to her mom, Terry Proben, immediately on the phone. They reunite like a day later, on August twenty seven, two thousand and nine, and she'd been missing for eighteen years. Taken at eleven, found at twenty nine. So Jace was like, you know a lot of people have said, oh, she it was possibly suffering from Stockholm syndrome. But she did this big interview with ABC News in twenty sixteen, and she said that compassion and willingness to interact with Grito were her only means of surviving.
Speaker 3: It's like very Olivia benstencoded. It's like she did what she had to do.
Speaker 1: She survived, And she says, quote the phrase Stockholm syndrome implies that hostages cracked by terror and abuse become affectionate towards their captors. Well, it's really it's degrading, you know, having my family believe that I was in love with this captor and wanted to stay with him. I mean, that is so far from the truth that it makes me want to throw up. I adapted to survive my circumstance. And she repeatedly stated that victims are forced to sympathize with their captors as a way to survive. And she also said, quote he was always my captor. I never forgot that.
Speaker 3: Never.
Speaker 1: But she did like have a bond with Grito and sorted her kids. They cried when he was arrested, and a few weeks after she was free, she asked if she could have the pets from the home that had been living at the home, and you know, she was somewhat attached to, like the life that she'd been living for eighteen years. Shortly after his arrest, Garrito told KCRATV Sacramento in a jailhouse phone interview, quote in the end, this is going to be a powerful, heartwarming story end quote. And he told them like all about how he turned his life around, how he loved his daughters and he never harmed them, and his whole life changed once they were born. And like, I mean, similar to the end of the store of the episode where he's like, I mean a lot to these girls, like we actually had a great family or whatever. So Nancy's bail gets set at thirty million. Garrito is not given bail, duh. And on April twenty eight, twenty eleven, there's some back and forth where like first they say they're gonna plead guilty, they plead not guilty. But eventually, on April twenty eight, twenty eleven, the Grito's plead guilty to kidnapping and rape by force. He is sentenced to four hundred and thirty one years to life. Nancy is sentenced to thirty six years to life. I read that she's eligible for parole in August of twenty twenty nine, although another source that I read said that they can both be up for parole in twenty thirty four.
Speaker 3: So well, we got to start.
Speaker 1: Writing yeah, we're gonna yeah, Like I started a letter writing campaign. I'm sorry you guys are not allowed out ever, Like you got your chance of evading a fifty year sentence, you got out of eleven years and you did unspeakable fucking crimes. So and the woman, it's like, you know, I don't know, It's like, I know, we have like a lot of conversations about the abuse that like accomplices you know, can sort of yeah, but like she was like only with him for like a year when they kidnapped JC, so she was just and she met him in jail knowing that he was in there for Roace. Yes, yes, exactly, Yeah, she knowingly married a rapist in jail, in a jail house wedding. So after j C was found alive, the Contra Costa County Sheriff, which is where Antioch is, Warren E. Erupp he issued it apology to the victims in a news conference.
Speaker 3: Were people fired? Were officers fired? Well?
Speaker 1: On November fourth of two thousand and nine, the California Office of the Inspector General issued a report then enumerated lapses by the California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation that had contributed to Jac's continued captivity. The central finding was that he was incorrectly classified as needing only low level supervision, and then every other lapse that happened after that.
Speaker 3: Was born from that massive mistake.
Speaker 1: So in the report the General the Inspector General even talked about a point at which a Pearle agent encountered a twelve year old girl at the home but accepted Gurto's explanation that she was his niece and did nothing to verify that. And even when Garrido's brother verified that he did not have any children. But I thought that was too fucking hard. To pick up the phone and find out, like does this man have a niece? Like there are public records of people's family members. So there's just so many instances of the cat being like right there or like not figuring out, and it's like he is a rapist, like he should not be.
Speaker 3: He's not.
Speaker 1: I mean, I guess if his trial of the fourteen year old had gone to trial, they would be more because the woman that he attacked was twenty five, So maybe they thought, oh, kids aren't really his mo but they are.
Speaker 3: He's insane. So she sued the State of California.
Speaker 1: Good for her and since this psycho was on parol with them when she was abducted, and the numerous lapses by law enforcement who could have discovered her in captivity but did not. In July of twenty ten, she got a settlement of twenty million dollars, which is the equivalent of twenty eight million in twenty twenty four.
Speaker 3: I read.
Speaker 1: Jac has done horse therapy, among other things, to process her trauma. She's written two books. One is called A Stolen Life, a memoir and was published in twenty eleven, and then Freedom, my book of first in twenty sixteen. She learned to drive, she adopted pets. She started checking off items from a bucket list that she wrote when she was in captivity, like swimming with dolphins, writing in a hot air balloon, and going to see pyramids in Belize. She told ABC News she's mostly stepped out of public life, but she occasionally reappears, like speaking at events and fundraising on Facebook, like her foundation that she started raised funds to support the Urpin Children, and in May of twenty twenty two, she joined Elizabeth Smart in a panel on trauma responses for the Malouf Foundation. So she's appeared to Elizabeth Smart, but her kidnapping was eighteen years and Elizabeth Smart, I believe was gone for one year. So it's like and I don't think Elizabeth Smart was impregnated, but it's just like so horrific. And that's the details of JC Dugard. Our guest today is an actor who you've seen in movies like Pathology, State of Play, and Garden State. You've also seen him recurring on shows like Scrubs and House, but you know him best as Olivia Benson's dipshit brother Simon. Please enjoy our interview with the lovely Michael Weston.
Speaker 3: Let's get into this.
Speaker 1: How did you How did you end up in like the Sview universe because you did three episodes of season eight at where there's like the Discovery of Simon did.
Speaker 4: Like over a span of like twenty Yeah, there's like.
Speaker 1: The Discovery assignment, and then five seasons later they're like Simon's gonna lose his kids, and then eight season, nine seasons later.
Speaker 3: They're like Simon's dead.
Speaker 1: This yeah, like he just kept getting wrong accusation after wrong accusation, but then also making really stupid decisions in response.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he was a their tough and he never really got a leg up.
Speaker 5: I don't know how I got involved in it, Like, you know, it's just one of those I think, like every New York actor finally does SVU.
Speaker 4: It's just like it has to happen for you. It's like right past.
Speaker 1: But when you got the audition, was it always for like Olivia Benson's brother, because that must have felt like pretty bigger than like guy who is a witness whatever.
Speaker 4: You know, I had no idea what it was.
Speaker 5: Honestly, I hadn't even seen the show, and like I got offered the role and was like, oh yeah.
Speaker 4: Shooting in New York because I was living in LA and I was like, yeah, let's go.
Speaker 5: And so I had a ball doing it because it's so rare these days that you get to shoot in New York or LA.
Speaker 4: You're always shooting somewhere else.
Speaker 5: So so anytime I get to work in New York, I'm excited and uh and this is like the quintessential New York show. So as you're you know, I don't think i'd watched an episode of of SVU, even though I'd seen.
Speaker 4: Like, you know, all the other law and orders over time, and but.
Speaker 5: It's it's one of those things that if you live in New York, it's just like it's always shooting down your block and you're like, oh, that's.
Speaker 4: Traffic, and you got an offer, and I got an offer, you offer it to me on New York. I'm gone, I'm on the plane, let's go.
Speaker 3: Do you got stopped by people? Because I do, Yeah, I do.
Speaker 5: If they can put together the goatee, especially, they're like, yeah, I mean yeah, I think that show has I mean people, you know, the beauty of that show is that it actually like changes people's lives, like it like, you know, people like it touches them and gets them, you know, in their guts and so and so what I always refined astounding about it is that people are like really moved by it all, and so they you know, they they speak sort of passionately and truthfully about it, and and it stops me in my try.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 5: It's one of those things I always feel as an actor, you're so you're so lucky to do this period.
Speaker 4: But then if you know, if anyone cares about your work and all that, it's you know, it's big bonus.
Speaker 2: So it's yeah, and Simon's journey is tough, and I'm sure people relate to it. And that final episode, like Mauritia, I mean, Olivia Benson's going to live with that guilt forever. She is.
Speaker 3: She is that voice Smail was me.
Speaker 5: She really, you know, she was sort of there for me and then she was like not there for twenty years, so and then she was there for me for like a second when I had my kid, and yeah, it was really you know, it was funny we had I remember that the first go around of those first episodes because it was so you know, it's such like heightened drama and like I've I've done terrible things, but I haven't done terrible things, but I maybe I did sort of do terrible.
Speaker 4: Things, and I'm like, I'm not a great guy.
Speaker 5: And then I'm holding everyone at gunpoint and everyone's yelling at each other and it was really fun.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you got to do Kim Delaney episode.
Speaker 4: And she was the bad one, wasn't she there? Yeah, I haven't forgiven her.
Speaker 3: Set you up.
Speaker 1: When I was looking you up, obviously doing some digging for this, I was seeing that you come from like this long line of musicians and piano players and like virtuosos and stuff like what and then severe to acting like what tell us the story of that?
Speaker 4: Yeah? Yeah.
Speaker 5: My grandfather was Arthur Rubinstein, like very very famous concert pianist and amazing and sort of like I didn't know much about it until I was like ten, eleven, twelve, and he was just sort of my grandfather, but he's this, you know, he's sort of iconic pianist, sort of one of the greats.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and so that that's part of that, you know, it's a sort of peripheral part of my life, but a big part of it, but more from a sort of familial standpoint.
Speaker 5: But like my dad was is an actor, John Rubinstein, and so he has done a lot of theater, and he did like he was like the original Pippin. He wanted Tony for Children of a Lesser God. Like he's a wonderful actor.
Speaker 3: The original Pippin.
Speaker 4: Wow.
Speaker 5: Yeah, like he's the old Guard and and still like right now, I just had dinner with him last night, and he's going he's gonna star in the musical tour of the Notebook.
Speaker 4: He's going for ten months at like, you know, eighty years old around and I'm like, wow, yeah, I know.
Speaker 5: So he So that's my That was my transition really as a kid. My dad found acting, musical theater, all that stuff. And so I grew up basically in New York City, and I would sort of spend a large chunk of my time backstage, you know, playing in like the Broadway Show League, like softball teams and hanging out with all these actors and you know, and uh and I I mean honestly, I didn't.
Speaker 4: I didn't. I wasn't gonna be my trajectory at all. I didn't. I wanted to play baseball, but.
Speaker 5: I was never realized I was not built for that and uh and so then like, yeah, when I got to school in Northwestern, I got into theater, but it was it was mostly through him, and he's you know, I I got to live backstage, and you see, what a sort of wonderful what a wonderful like life that is, the life of.
Speaker 4: A theater actor in New York is sort of amazing.
Speaker 3: Any back stage stories you can share, I mean.
Speaker 4: There's nothing, really, you know, nothing really amazing about that. I don't know. I you know, I think I sat on wonder Woman's lap and I embarrassed myself. That's about it.
Speaker 3: Oh my gosh. Wait, your dad was the judge in the episode raw.
Speaker 4: Oh see, I tell you every New York actor is that.
Speaker 3: This is one of our favorite episodes. Michael. Oh really and the shoot he gets shot? Oh he gets shot, get shot.
Speaker 2: Yes, there's a there's like a Nazi shootout, White supremacist shootout. Belser gets shot. Like stay, Marcia gay Harden's in that episode. Oh wow, wow, wow, your dad shot in that one. Oh no, I'm sorry, it's a good one.
Speaker 1: And I quote your parole officer's parents haven't even been born yet.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, we say that around the famous around the house, slinging around.
Speaker 3: I can't believe it. So did you play piano as a kid?
Speaker 4: Yeah, poorly. I used to go to my piano teacher and I'd like, I'd try.
Speaker 5: I knew I had an hour there and it was like jail time, so I would like try and figure out how to like get through it without playing the piano.
Speaker 4: Which I never like practice. So I'd be like, Yo, I'm starving.
Speaker 5: Can I get like a like a PB and J And then like, I'm thirsty, could we like cook up like a little like you know, milkshake or like.
Speaker 4: A little what what?
Speaker 1: What?
Speaker 4: He got back there? But it was in the print.
Speaker 5: And then I'd sit there and try and talk to her about my life and like string it out and she's like, all right now we got to play some fucking scales.
Speaker 3: Tyll. Okay, wait back to the s VU of it all, because we obviously talk about So do you remember Andre Brower being on sete?
Speaker 4: Oh? Yeah, I loved him, I of I mean I had that one episode.
Speaker 5: I didn't know him before that, but we just hit it off because he's such a lovely fellow and.
Speaker 4: He's just one of those amazing actors who has.
Speaker 5: This like you know, like I was like a fan of his forever and you know, uh, and and he had just he was so humble and he was in this role on this you know, one episode of SVU.
Speaker 4: He had no ego about it.
Speaker 5: He was just like the life of the party and just like the kindest I just loved him and so we hit it off on that episode.
Speaker 1: And you're in this episode when he's playing your lawyer. His wife is the judge, his real life wife.
Speaker 4: Oh was that so I didn't even know that. Yeah, you're like in the room with like I had the whole Brower family.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you had the whole back and forth. It was.
Speaker 5: It's it's great working on those shows because you meet all these actors that have you know, just they they've all been in New York forever and so you you know so many different people, and you know, like, uh, it's the sort of hang outside of the shooting, like you you shoot your thing, but the hang outside of it, just being around New York and you have lunch somewhere outside of you know, catering, and you walk around the city and you're I don't know, I always love love working on those shows because you you have this sort of you know, alternative like backstage existence with.
Speaker 4: All the actors where you're all just like fucking around and having a good time. That's great. Have you been on set? Have you gotten to know any of the sort of peace some.
Speaker 3: Of the regulars on the on the pod? But I haven't been to the set.
Speaker 1: I mean the dream is when we finally interview Marishka, that we can go to see her in her workplace and oh.
Speaker 4: Yeah, she's the best. She's like the mother head of the place and she like is so professional, but.
Speaker 5: She takes care of everyone. I mean, at least in my working experience. So there was awesome and it felt like family and she uh, yeah, she's a great person.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 5: What's amazing is like she's been on that show forever and ninety nine percent of the actors would start phoning it in at some point.
Speaker 4: And she doesn't.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you know, like and she doesn't take any of it for granted, or any of the people that that you know, in my circles I was working with for granted. And so you have this I mean, that's why it continues in the way that it does because it's like, you know, the Captain of the ship is formidable, and she's passionate about it, and you know she's got her whole charity on the side and all that stuff. But I you know, she comes out here and does all these things with it, and it's she's the sort of amazing person to steerhead.
Speaker 4: Something like that.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I think it's the only reason the show is still on. Honestly, Oh for sure, without a doubt. You can't do it and it's hard to keep up. Like it's a grind, that show, even if you're doing like three episodes of it in a.
Speaker 1: Row, like and then like in her free time, she's like, please let me do Broadway and then walked Aboudison Square Garden for the next.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah you heard that right. She had a two show days. So she did the matinee for that Wednesday game four. So she did the matinee, did her seven o'clock, shaved off four minutes off the play, and then I did ten blocks to the game to get their time.
Speaker 4: Dude, I love those stories. That's like such New York actresses.
Speaker 2: Well then people are like, can you imagine like seeing Muritia, I bet people like were losing their minds.
Speaker 5: Just like speaking so I have, like with my dad one time, because my dad was doing a show called k Mutiny Court Martial with this wonderful actor j O Sanders, another great actor who's probably been a SVU a ton, and and we wanted to see like Return of the Jedi. It was like a kid in between shows, and so like he did his matinee and then we ran across town and we watched like Return of the Jedi, and then like their show was starting. You have to be there for half hour, and they missed it, and they like literally like ran on stage, and I just love it.
Speaker 4: I love that.
Speaker 5: It's just like such a New York theater actor thing, being like what can I get away with this show?
Speaker 2: Well? Because also like obviously a Broadway schedule is very grueling and that's what it's known for. But then I'm thinking, I'm like, she's doing sixteen hour days. I'm sure like, yeah, Broadways kind of a chiller experience for her.
Speaker 4: It's certain, No, it's so much easier you kidding me. It's like you have your entire day.
Speaker 5: That's why, like the Broadway schedule is the best you have, Like you know, your two hour show at night and you have all day free and then you know, you just hang around.
Speaker 3: You gotta take care of your Like that's what I think. Yeah, night there Like the body and voice is yeah, yeah, you get.
Speaker 5: Ragged, get ragged. Yeah, that that is that's the sort of anxiety behind it all.
Speaker 3: What are your go to on set snacks, my croft service moments?
Speaker 5: I like I like to like, you know, the hot food sort of offerings that come out. They're always a little collected, a little risky. You could you could find yourself, you know, regretting it later.
Speaker 4: But you know, I like living on the.
Speaker 5: Edge, so I'll take some of those hot offerings in the sort of mid the mid like late night meals like uh like a ta yeah, a tilapia and a little serving train. No I I never do the fish. I rarely do the fish. And that's just because of the movie Airplane and it has nothing to do for literally anything else. It's just because I have paranoia. No I you know, I go, I go sweets usually I go, I go. If there's a donut, I'm fucked.
Speaker 4: A donut will take me down immediately, and then uh yeah, goes, I'll go.
Speaker 5: I'll go.
Speaker 4: I'll do some I never eat candy but on set, I'll eat candy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like when they have like a big ass tub of those jelly bellies, I'm always say that's another one and another.
Speaker 4: It's like, right, you take.
Speaker 5: Sort of like some nuts take all of this and then now fuck do some jelly bellies and a handful of Eminem's.
Speaker 3: And that's true. We're all children at craft services.
Speaker 4: You regress.
Speaker 3: That's not your like rice Krispy Treats and candy.
Speaker 1: Wait, I'm just clopped in your IMDb that you were in Coyote Ugly, which is one of my favorite movies of all time.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, oh yeah, that's where I met Piper and Melanie too. Wonderful just friends and actresses and yeah, that was great.
Speaker 3: That was like one of my first Yeah, it was like I was looking it was one of your early your early gids.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I remember, Yeah, that was That was Jerry Bruckheimer and I and I only met him one time and then I saw him, I think when I was really drunk in Prague on another movie and and I reintroduced myself to him and he's like, it's it's Michael, It's I'm Jerry.
Speaker 4: And I was like, hasn't hired me, since what.
Speaker 3: Other SVU memories do you have of any of the epps?
Speaker 5: Oh gosh, you know, I was thinking of something today, but I realized it was on Elementary, which is sort of like those two things are like they meld to me because they're just all in New York and they had a sort of similar I was like a weird junkie on that that was like the nemesis of the and so like it all sort of.
Speaker 7: I was like Lucy Lou and we were No, it's not the same thing, Lucy directed, I mean, it connects all New Yorker's connected and SVU no matter what.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean, you know, to me, it's so to me.
Speaker 5: Most of the sort of memories of that were you know, with Mariska and just sort of doing thing and just like you know, being a New York actor in New York and getting to sort of you know, tread the boards there and get a little.
Speaker 4: Piece of New York in your system for a while.
Speaker 5: That's that's usually where you know, shooting shooting there, you shooting all these sort of fun locations, and when you're shooting in the city, it's just the best. Yeah, And having grown up there, you you have a you know, you have a like a sort of professional idea of and a kid's perspective on it, and it's all the same building.
Speaker 3: You know, what neighborhood did you grow up in?
Speaker 4: I grew up on seventy six and West End. Yeah. Yeah, it was awesome, and it was like, you know, it was very sort of middle class. Now it's a little hoity tody. Yeah, it wasn't that. When I was growing up. The West Side was very just sort of chill.
Speaker 3: I lived on eighty yea, it was just like Jewish and chill.
Speaker 1: I lived on and Amsterdam for like eleven ar Yeah, oh really, yeah right.
Speaker 4: Those are my stopping bars.
Speaker 5: My mom lived right behind bars, and that was our go to and she used to like go I think she used to. I think she did when she was still living there. So I think I came for SVU and she we'd go to Zay Bars. We'd get like a coffee and like a ham and cheese croissan. We'd go down to the Riverside Park and she would like run lines with me, and that was that was our She was. She was an old actress and so if you ever saw the Fortune Cookie, she was an actress in that so she used to she stopped acting, but she used to run all my lines and sort of got me into this thing.
Speaker 3: So nice.
Speaker 4: I know, it's cute.
Speaker 1: When you did these first eight episod these first three episodes of season eight ones, did you work with Christopher Maloney too.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, for sure he was. I met him up in Williamstown, which is another staple of New York sort of the best like young theater.
Speaker 5: Yeah he was, you know, yeah, we we worked on that. I think the first go around. I don't remember him from the other ones. Maybe he was off the show by that time, but.
Speaker 1: He I met him up, like he left in season twelve, So your last two episodes he would have been gone, but those first three were you're introduced.
Speaker 4: Yeah, first three I was. He was definitely there.
Speaker 5: He was great and he's a great, really funny, excellent actor. And yeah, I met him up in Williamstown, which is like the sort of summer theater of New York. But it's also just like it's a great place. It's a great place for like young actors to go. And I don't know if it is still, but it used to be. And uh, and like that's where I met like, like, you know, other wonderful like Catherine Hahn. I went to school there, but like she was up there, and Charlie Day and Jimmy Simpson and all these sort of really wonderful young actors would go up there and we'd work as like non equity and worship all the equity actors who want to be like them and uh and uh yeah that was a great place to do theater another sort of Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we've talked to other guests of dun Williams Town. Everybody always says, like, what a formative experience.
Speaker 4: It was so awesome. Scott Wolfe was up there in his like Heyday party five times.
Speaker 3: Yeah, all the girls were like, he was on my wall, man, he was on my wall. Oh yeah, I love that. You your mom would run lines.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, she's played like everyone that's you know, she's played like you know, like on that she was like, you know, killing me and like whatever, shooting me down, calling me.
Speaker 1: When they brought you back for season twenty one, were you like, all right, Simon's back in the mix and then like you read the script, Shit, I'm dead.
Speaker 3: I mean that it was.
Speaker 4: It was great to go.
Speaker 3: Back on it.
Speaker 4: And see everyone again and it was really fun. Yeah, I mean I can't.
Speaker 3: I don't.
Speaker 4: I mean I think I died pretty quickly on that. I sort I was like hi and then but uh, but yeah, it was it was it came out of nowhere.
Speaker 5: I was like with my wife's family, I think in Pennsylvania and we were sort of it was like in summer, and they're.
Speaker 4: Like, hey, why don't you do SVU one more time? And I was like, really, it's like twenty years later, and I was like, all right, what am I doing? And it was fun. So I just I zipped into the city and I did it.
Speaker 1: And that was They have to just keep torturing Olivia with various deaths and horrible thing.
Speaker 3: Who can we get rid of that?
Speaker 1: They have to bring back your daughter Olivia at some point, like she has a living niece, right, yeah, you got to get her back like she was one in season twenty one.
Speaker 4: Hey, that's a really good idea. I'm going to float that to the writers.
Speaker 3: We've got to get her back in there.
Speaker 4: That's not bad. Maybe I could like I could haunt at least in like you know somewhere.
Speaker 3: Flashbacks. They can bring you in for flashbacks.
Speaker 4: Yeah, exactly, exactly, some nurturing time. Yeah, we went to the park the zoo.
Speaker 2: Are you working on anything now or things coming out that you're excited about?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm so.
Speaker 5: I've recently I've done I've sort of started this little company called Early Bird Pictures and uh, and we're producing a bunch of stuff now.
Speaker 4: So we're just getting off the ground.
Speaker 5: Have a couple of films that we just got some dough for, so hopefully that's gonna happen, and we're gonna have a couple announcements coming. I've written a couple of films that we have just the beginnings of dough for, so I'm hoping to direct one of those and get those up.
Speaker 4: So that's that's what I've been sort of busy with over the last two years.
Speaker 5: And I thought it would be this really like smooth and easy segue because I felt like I had such a nice foothold in this biz. But it's it's a whole other job producing and uh, and I'm learning it like a startup company. So we're we're doing that. It's been great.
Speaker 4: It's been a total adventure and we'll see where these films go. But I think we're gonna are The.
Speaker 5: Things I wrote are a romantic comedy and a and an action comedy. And then uh, and then we have, you know, a couple. One is as a film based on a beautiful book called The Dressmakers of Auschwitz about these these women who basically sort of stayed together and knit their way out of Auschwitz. It's a true story and it's just a it's based on a New York Times bestseller, beautiful book.
Speaker 4: And so we're we we've adapted that, we're adapting it to a script and we're getting that out.
Speaker 5: And then we've got another one which is sort of a dark, sort of romantic thriller that we're working on that we just got funded, so that should be coming out soon. I mean, we have to make it and everything, but we're doing a little deadline thing on that pretty soon and then we'll see, we'll see what else. I mean, that's sort of you know, that's the first things. We've got a couple of TV shows we're working on as well, so we'll see where it all goes.
Speaker 2: This has been so fun, though, Michael, thank you so much for I can't wait to hopefully see your rom com Yeah.
Speaker 4: Me too.
Speaker 3: It's fun.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I know, I love it.
Speaker 2: I love it.
Speaker 4: I like a little bit of grit to it, you know, yeah, come.
Speaker 3: On, we need it. Thanks for taking the time to.
Speaker 4: Talk to a pleasure. Nice to chat with you guys.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh, my mom is so gagged that I talked to the grandson of this piano virtuoso. I mean, this is awesome. But also we've got a member of the Benson family. I mean not Benson, but you know, Olivia's family.
Speaker 2: And I also love you know, I love hearing about a kid that grew up on set or in the backstage and like running around the city and just uh yeah, what a cool life.
Speaker 3: Totally totally.
Speaker 2: Andrew Rynolds was on Watch What Happens Live and someone asked if he's ever had sex backstage and Broadway, and I know people do fuck there, but he said during intermission with one of his cast members, whoa, that's a way to get power person and a half. He's like, do you think we could do it? And they're like, yeah, I think so, and they did it. Wow, scandaloso.
Speaker 3: Thanks for sharing. Yeah, thank you. Yeah. Post mortem on this episode is tough.
Speaker 1: I mean this, like obviously Simon makes the worst choices one after another.
Speaker 3: But also the reason that they even lost their kids for a day over.
Speaker 1: A joint is so insane to me, As I said, but I mean ten years later, it's that would never happen.
Speaker 2: It's not like a long time has passed. Yeah, and just such blatant racism and patterns. It's like so strange and like it's very disappointing. It's very upsetting. But then he decided to make every wrong like he could have sued the city and made millions of the yes, yeah, like Andre.
Speaker 3: Was on it.
Speaker 2: They could have made it work. But even though like I'm sorry, you're an idiot, Like I don't. I mean, rest in peace to the character, of course, but like every wrong decision you could possibly make, Yeah.
Speaker 3: Stop jumping bail.
Speaker 1: That didn't work for you, so neither will napping your children and taking them to another state.
Speaker 3: Like it's so confused. His reasoning is like we just thought we could start over in South Carolina. It's just so dumb. But also, god, the JC DO.
Speaker 2: Guard story what a fun I mean, like, I know the amount of cop intervention that could have happened, and they were so lazy and bad at their job.
Speaker 3: And just like equally trusting of this guy. It's just like it's my god.
Speaker 1: I just feel also like I do believe that we have the rights to privacy as the Constitution allows, but I do think if you've built essentially a small shanty town in your backyard, we got to check those every once in a while, like every couple of years. Your little backyard shanty town needs like a permit because it keeps being the home of girls that have been kidnapped.
Speaker 2: And like outside of the shanty town, it's like he's not allowed to be around kids. So why the niece the appointments? Like, yeah, like what is wrong with you? And I think they did an amazing job in this episode of showing like, instead of messing around and harassing black people in Harlem for having joints or like getting stopped, you could actually help J. C. Duggard get out, you know what I mean. And I just really liked what they were able to show in this episode. Yeah matter storytelling.
Speaker 1: And I think to me, like, I know, I'm obsessed with family annihilators, but I'm also like really really like obsessed, but also terrified of these like men that just have to like hold women as like cattle and just have babies with them. Like it's so sick, and we just have heard so many stories of it happening. It's not like it's a once in a while ooh, this spooky guy. It's like many many people have done this. And yeah, and it's one of my biggest fears. Yes, like basement locks from the outside or whatever, can't get out if you kill your cap, sure you can't get out upstairs whatever, that whole thing.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, And I.
Speaker 2: Also like that Jacy after getting out was like fuck all of you for thinking I'm in love with a captor.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I've talked about this before, like someone will just casually mention a beauty in the beast bit and I'm like, actually, Stockholm syndrome is not real and it's sexis and but it does like sicken me that like they think it's like, no, that's the way to fucking survive, you fucking idiot.
Speaker 3: I don't know. It's scary. I can't believe what she survived.
Speaker 2: I'm so glad she's out and safe and I'm helping others and yeah, I don't I'm not a religious person, but definitely God bless Yeah, absolutely, I just did a friend's podcast and they're like, you know, I know you're Jewish, but what is like we are actual beliefs, because it's not like I'm like, you know, keeping kosher.
Speaker 3: I go, I don't know.
Speaker 2: I think like we have goodness and God within all of us and the YadA YadA, and I went, I think maybe I'm Quaker, And he goes, isn't there a whole thing like peace and not being volatile?
Speaker 3: And I go, Okay, I guess I'm not. I guess I'm not a Quaker.
Speaker 2: Checkmate, Okay, but I do believe we all have like intuition and spirit inside of ourselves, and religion quelches it and takes all of our power away from us, but really all the goodness and everything is within us well. And also like helping them, helping your neighbor and being kind to your fellow man, and not because it's going to get you into some like fictional like heaven afterwards or send you to hell.
Speaker 1: Ooh look at those stickers so cute beautiful. Are your kids into stickers?
Speaker 3: Yeah they are, they're sticker boxes at home.
Speaker 1: And but wait, didn't I tell you on this trip we got a sticker every place we stopped and they definated their suitcase with it. Use so their suitcase has stickers of every place we stopped. We got cool stickers in every town. We got a little Chicago, a little Grand Can't, Cheyenne, went Wyoming, all the places.
Speaker 3: So that was fun. But they do like stickers. I wouldn't say that was in one of my gay books. They had to.
Speaker 1: I am real cowboy town, a lot of people walking around in boots and cowboy I know.
Speaker 2: And then the rich kind of not that like I think like that part of the world's great, but it's like rich people go and just really displace and fuck up people and communities everywhere constantly.
Speaker 3: It's really crazy. Yeah, mountain towns.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I remember people going to Boise a lot during the pandemic, and I feel like they were like, get out of here, but I don't want supposedly a lovely place to live. Okay, well let's get into let's get into what would Sister Peg Do, which connects to this week's episode.
Speaker 3: Obviously, this is a segment.
Speaker 2: I'm sorry do this to you, but I know I talked about the gay Book last week, but it's the same day.
Speaker 3: Sorry, guys. The jig is up.
Speaker 2: So but goodbye Paradise. You know, it's like this call it's a polygamon cults. And we talk about these crimes all the time, and like even with this episode with JC Duggart and like connects to homeschooling and everything, but like with this polygamous cull, like you don't think about what it takes to really escape. Like if you're born on the compound, you don't have a birth certificate, you don't have a Social Security number, you don't exist, You can't get an ID. So they like you know, they like kicked him out or whatever and just left him at a bus stop. But it's like they can't get on a plane, they can't get a job because they don't have ID. You have to learn, like the state has to give you a birth certificate, and just how long it takes to actually survive outside of these environments and how dangerous they really.
Speaker 3: Are, like the government.
Speaker 2: I'm not pro government, but it's like no one knows you exist except your abusers.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and it's really hard to get a birth certificate.
Speaker 2: Also, like the process and these kids, so like these boys only had like a sixth grade education. You had to get a ged like I don't know, it's like obviously this gay romance book, but it's like it really made me and we think about this all the time, of course, especially with Jason, like and the kids that she gave birth to, but it's like had she escaped, Yeah, but like the fact that you're uneducated, you probably can't really read, have comprehension, you don't know the internet, you've never watched TV, like these guys thought like everything in the compound was was real and then they like watched TV for the first time and see gay guys and they like didn't know that that was acceptable in the world. And so it's like, I know this is like stating the obvious, but it's like such a limited point of view, and then like no way to survive, like right, so hard, like they had resources and they're fictional guys, and like people are dealing with this all the time. And I just think, because we're talking about wyoming in that place in Utah and just like you're just born and married to a fifty year old man giving birth and no one knows about these kids or you, and there you can't get a job, Like fuck, when people go why can't you leave. Why don't you leave? Why didn't you escape? Why didn't you know connected to Stockholm? Like always trying to figure out like that, and it's like instead of questioning these people that are trying to survive, like why don't you ask yourself the question and try to answer it.
Speaker 3: And like see that?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I mean I was just trying to help somebody get a birth certificate recently, And don't remember if I talked about this already. You need a debit card to get one, and if you don't have a bank accountant, you can't get one. So like I had to go get a prepaid debit card and then that has to match that because that's the way that you could circumvent the address that you're shipping it to, because I couldn't use my own credit card because I has to match the address for shipping it to. Like they make it so impossible, and I'm talking about this is also for people that are like like I just I don't. I mentioned last week that I met and a guest stier at a party and she was telling us about how our friends started this organized to basically help people that just got out of jail get like all their documents, get all these things, because like you know, recidivism is so bad. But yeah, leaving any sort of secluded, isolated community and reintegrating into the world is really hard, especially these religious environments.
Speaker 3: Oh my god.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we need to find like maybe that should be a goal for us in the future for what with Sister Peg, to try to find a place that helps people that escape these.
Speaker 3: Situations cults and stuff. Yeah, yeabsolutely, because.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like I said, we study this all the time and like look into these but until I read this fictional book, Yeah, I really really well because settled we.
Speaker 1: Believe these cults. It's like they were sixteen. They were like lured in as like a twenty year old. So they just go back to their families. But if you're born into one, it's like the children in Yesteryear, what the hell's gonna you know, luckily they have, you know whatever. I hate the people that don't like Ester Year.
Speaker 2: It's so annoying because someone's like, wow, the premise isn't exacting this and that, and I'm like, well, because if you did, then it wouldn't be fun, like like fuck off, fuck off.
Speaker 1: I just I kind of think that when people just think that they don't like the main character, so they can't like the book.
Speaker 3: That's like, I don't know if I don't think we can be friends, but suddenly I have a lot of strong points of view as a new reader.
Speaker 1: But yeah, well, and another plug for our Patreon, we do a whole yesteryear recap over there, guys, if you're interested, all right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and dm us if you have any requests for stocks, crime stuff, people, people you know that like you that are famous.
Speaker 3: Yeah, whatever.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So for what, let's get into what would Sister Peg do? That's our weekly segment where we direct you to a book, a documentary, an organization, something to give you more information. And obviously I wanted to point you to JC du Guard's memoir called A Stolen Life. That's one of her books. Her other one is called Freedom. If you want to hear more firsthand about her saga and how like she's honestly sort of turned it into a beautiful story of survival, check it out and that will be linked in our show notes and as always saved on our Instagram page in our WWSPD highlights and our Instagram is that messed up pod.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna go buy her book I gotta go get it. I gotta support our girl.
Speaker 1: I'm sorry, Like bon Goodreads, like there are a couple of people give it one star?
Speaker 3: How dare you?
Speaker 1: How dare you give this girl who wrote a book about her fucking horrific kidnapping one star? Give it five stars? To keep your fucking mouth shut, That's what I say. I'm sorry, a memoir about your eighteen year kidnapping. It's like, people, it's like, how there's one star reviews of the Grand Canyon kind of sandy, Get the fuck, get up, find a hobby.
Speaker 2: Really truly, that's really tickling me. I can't imagine. Yeah, I don't know if the sentence structure and metaphors.
Speaker 1: Right for me right, Like, oh my god, school, like she didn't pass fifth grade.
Speaker 3: That's so fucked up. People are so fucked up.
Speaker 2: I also, so many people are telling me to join good Reads, and I'm just like, I don't want to do homework. I don't want to clock a thing that I just found. You're here giving your book reviews. You're not gonna go type them and put them. Maybe I'll make little videos casually for fun, but like I don't because someone else was like, but then it recommends this, and then I'm like, I'll just take a photo of your phone. I'll screenshot a thing, I'll google it, Like I don't Yeah, I don't actually need the good Reads algorithm.
Speaker 4: You'll be okay.
Speaker 2: I just don't want pressure or people being like, how many books did you read this year?
Speaker 3: It's like, get out of my fuck. I know that's I don't raise like my friends read more books than me. Who cares? Just read?
Speaker 2: Yeah, being sick was cool. I mean it wasn't cool health as wealth. But I did get to like read while it was raining outside for like five hours.
Speaker 3: Oh that sounds gorgeous. I am so rainy today. I want to read.
Speaker 2: I'm going to read into an app. I got an app today, okay, And yeah, thank you for that. And next week we're back, baby, welcome to the Pedo Motel.
Speaker 3: I wonder what that's about.
Speaker 2: So you can't even imagine Season twenty two, episode ten.
Speaker 3: We're obsessed with all of you. Thanks for listening. Bye see you next week, Tommies.
Speaker 2: That's messed up as an exactly right production.
Speaker 1: If you have compliments you'd like to give us, or episodes you'd like us to cover, shoot us an email it That's Messed uppod at gmail dot com. Listen to That's Messed Up on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you get your podcasts. Follow the podcast on Instagram at That's Messed Up Pod, and follow us personally at Cara Clank and at Glitter Cheese. As always, please see our show notes for sources and more information.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much to our senior producer Casey O'Brien and our associate producer Christina Chamberlain, and to.
Speaker 1: Our mixer John Bradley and our guest booker Patrick Cottner.
Speaker 2: And to Henry Kaperski for our theme song and Carly Jean Andrews for our artwork.
Speaker 1: Thank you to our executive producers Georgia Hardstart, Karen Kilgarriff, Daniel Kramer, and everybody at Exactly Right Media.
Speaker 3: Dun dun